Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
JudgeMingus chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
This is brilliant stuff.

I feel there are a few minor niggles in characterisation (eg: in no possible universe can I imagine Snape referring to Mad-Eye Moody in as familiar a manner as he does in Chapter 61 - "Any word from Mad-Eye?").

Not just great by fanfic standards.

Great by any standard.
falenas108 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Amazing chapter, especially the Milgram Experminet part. So, should I assume the clock Dumbledore gave Trelawney can be used to spy on her in case she makes another prophecy? And possibly to spy on dreams like the on she just had.
AwsmAdm chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
This was a great chapter! It's fun to see everything that happened after the fact. During the hiatus I plan to reread the whole thing casually (last time i rushed through it because i wanted to know what would happen next). I also wanted to thank you for introducing me the the Ender's Game series. I've had some of the books lying around for a while but i never gave them a shot. However, in the past few weeks I've read a bunch of them and I expect to get through the whole Ender's Game universe before long. Thanks again for the great times I've had reading the everything I've learned along the way.
White Rabbit Asylum chapter 29 . 11/29/2010
Phew. I've been absolutely devouring this story lately. Finishing chapter twenty-nine, I decided that it was about time for me to log in and leave a legitimate review.

Honestly... wow. Really, this has completely blown me away. I was a little skeptical when I read the description on the tvtropes pages. Harry Potter Scientific Reasoning ? It just seemed a little iffy.

But it works. Oh boy, does it ever WORK.

I'm used to seeing Slytherin!Harry stories. But Ravenclaw!Harry is such a fresh concept that I found myself reading on just to see how in the world you were going to pull it off. My heart plummeted a little with the Sorting Hat fake-out; and then I was like, "Oh, okay."

...And once I figured out that yes, you were going to be able to make Ravenclaw!Harry work without any glitches, I found myself being propelled along by the plot itself. A lot of authors who stick Harry in other houses often follow the books in all other respects, resulting in a certain feeling of deja vu. But alas! An actual PLOT! I rejoice!

Ahem. Well, now that I've heaped on the praise about the premise and plot, the third P: prose.

I tip my hat to you, sir.

I'm a firm believer that the best kind of prose is that which becomes invisible to the reader and in no way distracts from the flow of ideas, thoughts, and images. You've achieved that perfect balance. The chapter flew away like watching a movie on screen. Not mention I was cracking up almost every other line in the earlier chapters.

And I'm sure you hear this all the time, but I feel smarter after reading this.

Well, with that monster of a review, I take my leave.
SexySnape99 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Wow. This is amazing. I love the chapters where you give a point of view from almost every character. Please finish your hiatus quickly.
James Firecat chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Damn I spent all of last week reading all of this and all of this week waiting for the updates and now...

Well I guess MoR updating again will make a great Christmas Present/Way to ring in the new year/whatever in January...

Also, pretty damn sneaky of Voldy to move the rest of his family's graves but not his father's... though to pull that off wouldn't he have needed to do it before he tried to kill Harry?

Well given how smart that Voldy is is in this fic it's hardly unheard of to think that he wouldn't have tried to get his foot in the door of as many different ways back to life as possible...

I wonder if there are any magical spells for dowsing for bones... his father's remains still have to be where they were actually buried which would probably be within a hundred miles or so of the Riddle House give or take since a prominent family like the Riddle's probably have/had a personal graveyard.

Likewise wherever he moved his father from, is probably not some place that a city/house has sprung up recently since I don't imagine Voldy would enjoy having to jackhammer his way through concrete to get at his dad's bones (or worse yet have them excavated as part of the ground laying. Maybe the Auror's should do some tests to see if there are any nearby areas that muggles naturally just don't pay attention to. That or just start digging up the country side at random and hope they get lucky, not the most productive use of time imaginable but they doubtlessly have more raw manpower on their side than Voldy does right now...
Hippoponymous chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
All right, I'll say it (along with about 9000 other people): BEST FANFIC EVER. Seriously, this is amazing. As much fun as the original books, and more informative than an intro to critical reasoning class. (Incidentally, I am fully willing to credit my A in Intro to Critical Reasoning to this fic.) I have been tearing out hair trying to guess Quirrel's answer, but it was worth it.

Thanks for the great story!
Niqi chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
This was a very good ending to a series, it really has a sense of conclusion.

Harry's take on the Milgram experiments is inspiring. And I still end up cheering at the top of my mental lungs for him every time he rails against the injustice of Azkaban.

I hope you end up writing the scene where it gets destroyed. I hope Harry gets to take part. I hope it's glorious.
sensoray chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
yayyy! i cant wait for the next section of the story! youre doing wonderful!
Rigal chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Very cool!1
Kay chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Great chapter. I like how we're returning to eleven year old Harry. I also like that Prof Q is no longer Harry's mentor, though I'm suddenly struck by the realization that Prof Q might be like Dumbledore's Grindelwald - in which case, Prof Q is Voldemort, in the flesh? I can't wait to read more. I hope I don't forget everything by the time you update again. :)
109 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
I still think it was the logical thing to do. When you think someone is innocent, and an undetected rescue feasible, what other choice can be made? Besides, torture is pointless from a utilitarian perspective regardless of the victim's guilt.
Eclipse1234 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Come back soon!
angeldreamer1119 chapter 34 . 11/29/2010
Hi.

Sorry it took so long to review. Just want to say I've read every chapter of your story and loved it (some bits more than others), and that your page on Bayes' Theorem solved some mental Gordian knots that my medical statistics textbook failed to resolve. More power to you, sir, and I hope you keep writing.

I've also just read "The Simple Truth" and would like to point out that your bucket system gets messed up at the end, because you lost one pebble when Mark runs off the edge of the cliff...
ansible917 chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
This is a fabulous, brilliant story. The best fan fictions shed new light on the original source material, and not just play around with the characters and settings. And this fanfic exceeds that standard by also being funny, insightful, and quite emotionally moving on top of it.

The advertising blurb for MoR implies that the author has changed just one aspect of the HP universe (Harry himself and how he was raised) but there are actually quite a few subtle and not-so-subtle changes to the HP universe. The most dramatic change is that none of the "bad guys" are cardboard-cutout villains. They all have depth, and character. They all have plausible motivations. And even though the major historical landscape hasn't changed (there was still a Wizarding War, and Voldemort and the Death Eaters killed a bunch of people) there isn't much that is black and white in this fanfic. This is because, in part, because even the "bad guys" are the heroes of their own personal stories. The "good guys" in the source material also engage in some questionable behavior, and this is brought out further in MoR.

I _eagerly_ look forward to every single update.
29,804 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,329 1,336 1,337 1,338 1339 1,340 1,341 1,342 1,349 .. Last Next »