Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Dea En Machina chapter 15 . 6/19/2011
Wait a minute, a pig has water in it. What happens to any fluid that evaporates from its nose and mouth? Or for that matter, what about the carbon dioxide it exhales? The carbon would have to come from the pig's body, right? Unless the carbon atoms in question mapped to carbon atoms in the original wooden desk, it wouldn't be safe to inhale. (I'm over thinking this aren't I?...)
jasonjannajerryjohn chapter 39 . 6/19/2011
I agree with you/Harry and also with Dumbledore, but not on the points that might be expected.

First of all, I expected Dumbledore to put up more of a fight or good argument. As it stands, he just comes off as something similar to C.S. Lewis here in his belief in an afterlife.

I agree completely with the pretending to be wise thing. It is very true that many people believe that oldwise or that wise is a virtue or that wise should even exist at all. Rationality does and should triumph over bullshit. Philosophy has tended to be and is that bullshit. People are impressed with bullshit. People think that bullshit coming from another's mouths (especially if that other happens to be older) is wonderful and will follow said person. Look at religion, politics, and yes philosophy. The sad thing is that all the rest of the disciplines have broken off from philosophy through the years.

Even so, (StrawmanHasAPoint- yes I'm a fan of TV Tropes) Dumbledore did have a point. It would be terribly inconvenient and annoying to live forever, no matter how long the lifespan, even though that idea is probably cultural. Most everything we think is cultural, to the point where it's hard to come up with anything original anymore. Though, it is true, living forever would get boring especially if everyone around you died. If everyone around you didn't die and we could take care of the obvious resource problem, it might be acceptable to live forever with your friends. We'd of course have to stop creating life and stop all the things that come along with that creation.

Either way, good story and good conversation. I'm greatly enjoying it and looking forward to continuing.
jasonjannajerryjohn chapter 37 . 6/19/2011
I've read this far, and I would like to go ahead and review before I read any further.

This fan fic is absolutely wonderful, of course that goes without saying.

I would like to say that I like what you are doing with Ron, treating him just like one of the background students.

I also like how you are treating Harry and his friendships with Hermione and Draco, especially, but also his friendships with Neville and the Weasley twins. I'm looking forward to seeing how those relationships pan out.

On the topic of Lily, as that is clearly controversial, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Lily and James never stood right with me in their treatment with Snape, and you very clearly showed me exactly what I was thinking.

Quirrell, though disappointingly supposed to be the bad guy, is still rather awesome in your story. His ideas tend to make a good deal of sense, even if they are rather dark by our current society's moral standards.

This fic is at it's best when Harry is spouting science, particularly social science which is my favorite kind, especially when the science corresponds to the story and not just random trivia.
SabreDanse chapter 72 . 6/19/2011
All of the tension, all the antics, and it comes down to one chilling statement from Draco:

"I am preparing for the next war."

Brr.
pringlescan chapter 27 . 6/18/2011
Amazing series,one of my favorite fantasy stories of all time, bar none. I also would like to thank the author for introducing me to formal rationalism via the less wrong community blog, and the feynmen lectures. I have a couple of months before I head off to college for the fall and this will keep me busy. My only complaint is he hasn't updated the story since I've found it a few weeks ago, hurry up with the next chapter its killing me!
A little less wrong chapter 72 . 6/18/2011
I've read through twice (minus the dozen chapters that didn't exist in my first read), and obviously enjoyed it. I also listen to the podcast while driving and such; not while going to sleep, because it always gets me thinking, and I'm just starting to recover (in my thirties) from the same 24h sleep cycle as Harry.

I clicked "review this chapter" to ask you to write more (on LW) about your self-observations regarding writing this highly successful work; I have an unjustified intuition that we suffer from similar dynamics in that area, and I hope to learn from your perspective.

But, I also happened to read A_Grilled_Fish's review. I tend to gloss over negative aspects of entertainment that is, in all other respects, achingly enjoyable. I certainly hadn't reduced any fleeting annoyances or confusion into a concrete list like his, but I have to say that I could see exactly where he was coming from. It's quite transparent to me that, in reviews, you seek traction for improvement; the _outside_ view. ;)
Brian chapter 72 . 6/18/2011
I wrote a "review" about 30 chapters ago, but I figured that I owed you another one. I appreciate your hard work, and I can understand how much of a struggle it can be to continue producing at such a high level - especially with the weight of the expectations of your fans. Generally my biggest complaint about any work of fiction is the completely irrational way that characters behave, particularly when they are only irrational as a plot building device when the author was too lazy to come up with something that actually made sense. I wish more authors had your strength of character... so to speak. Please, keep writing!
pleeppleep chapter 45 . 6/18/2011
I realize that I'm meant to critique the writing here more than just praising it, but i just had to say that, the speech at the end, it drove me to tears. literally. I have seen movies and even television shows that have made me cry, but no book or anything else that was written has ever had that effect. It... it was just beautiful. I don't know if you'll ever read this, but I just had to thank you for that, I signed up on the site just for this message. I love this fanfiction, and I have learned more from your writing than from five years of public education. If its not going too far, i think some of the points you've made have given me new purpose in life, so thank you.

That said, I suppose you would want an actual review instead of just fanmail. I find this to be a great way to end Harry's dementor experience. The way he was horribly defeated at first threw me off and I wasn't expecting him to try again the way he did. I was glad that you didnt just have Harry show how much of a magical prodigy he was, showing him to falter occasionally and yet still manage to assert his ability as protagonist. I half expected the alternate interpretation of the nature of the dementors, but even so must say that it seems far superior to the way J.K. Rowling created them. It seems much more hopeful to say that they can be destroyed entirely rather than be temporarily subdued. And of course I must go back to the speech Harry worked out in his head as he was facing his enemy. I am an extraordinarily cynical and pessimistic person, but Harry's faith and determination really spoke to me in a way that nothing else has for a long time. I suppose it wouldn't have as much of an effect if i wasn't under the assumption that you, the author were speaking through the character, that his faith and determination isn't something merely confined to the work of fiction. i think your writings are the first thing ive ever heard to manage to convince me that, not only CAN death be beaten, but that it SHOULD be. The speech was truly beautiful and added more to the story than i could possibly describe.

I am very sorry if i have wasted any of you time, but i just had to thank you and let you know how much this meant to me. Lately i've sort of just lost my sense of purpose in life, and while i was never really suicidal, i was ready to throw everything away, metaphorically close my eyes, and allowed the world to just move around me and wait to die. In a way, i think you may have saved my life by writing this, and for that i could never thank you enough. Please excuse the probably poor manner in which this message is written as I am only a high school sophomore, and also please excuse the length and lack of substance in it as I am a bit overcome with emotion and cannot think to write anything more constructive. i really dont mean to sound whiny or seem like i have too much angst, i have never really said anything with anywhere close to the level of angst, self-pity, and worship that undoubtedly fills this note, but your writing really did just get to me. This letter truly comes from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

-Pleeppleep

AKA, Josh
Bailey-potter chapter 1 . 6/17/2011
Too long but okay
Guest chapter 1 . 6/17/2011
This is awesome! You are an amazing writer! this fic!
Quynce chapter 72 . 6/17/2011
Enjoyable beyond the known reaches of rationality.
pennilee chapter 2 . 6/17/2011
This story is great! XD
pennilee chapter 72 . 6/17/2011
You are seriously good at writing, and I most definitely can't read all 72 chapters, so lets leave it at that. XD
flagamuffin chapter 72 . 6/17/2011
Well, I don't know about A Grilled Fish, but I'm enjoying this a lot more than I enjoyed Kafka or Nabokov.
FreelanceBum chapter 16 . 6/16/2011
I wanted to go to sleep 3 hours ago. Your story won't let me. How dare you, sir?

(In other words: Love your writing, if a bit addictive.)
32,889 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,329 1,336 1,337 1,338 1339 1,340 1,341 1,342 1,349 .. Last Next »