Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Rationally Procrastinative chapter 38 . 2/25/2011
To: Less Wrong

I recently came across your work here and am struggling with what to say, so perhaps something simple:

I have fiction on my bookshelf that I have deliberately kept for its content for over 20 years that I enjoy less than what I am reading now.

Please keep up the good work.
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
"Um-" always sums up everything. :D
malcolm75k chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Well, its good to see some of the older threads being brought up again in this chapter.

I was wondering when the topic of magic assisted rape would come up again. Harry reacted very strongly to it when Draco brought it up, and I thought it strange that it was placed on the back burner for such a long time. "His father's rock" also came back. XD

With the heroines tromping off to the 3rd floor corridor, well, I can see things going very wrong, especially if you intend to have Quirrelmort and Harry have their conflict in a way that is consistent with the original story.

I can see it now, a back and forth discussion that is brutally frank and a lot less "good" than 11yo girls would naturally accept, possibly a revelation of Harry's part in Bellatrix's escape, followed by a situation where Harry may have to let one of them be hurt/killed to have a chance of saving the rest. The scene would end with the scent of burnt flesh hanging in the air, a seared corpse in the background and Harry standing there staring at Hermione with the ashes of his friend and enemy and mentor coating his hands and smudged on his face. A blank look, with the knowledge of a "hero" echoed in the sadness of his eyes.

Or it could be all fluff, or something clever. XD

But it feels like this lot are playing at being heroes without true understanding of the price, despite all the warnings Hermione has read in her books, and the gods tend to punish that type of hubris.
Spirit chapter 53 . 2/24/2011
"(Harry had asked why Professor Quirrell couldn't be the one to play the part of the Dark Lord, and Professor Quirrell had pointed out that there was no plausible reason for him to be possessed by the shade of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.)"

I so love the irony in this.
Eli Courtwright chapter 64 . 2/24/2011
I was especially impressed by the different writing styles in this chapter. Your LotR felt very Tolkien-esque, The Witch and the Wardrobe was much more lighthearted, etc. That's definitely a sign of a great writer, thanks for sharing it!
Eli Courtwright chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
"Does some aspect of the world dissatisfy you, that you must remake according to your will?"

I continue to wonder about Lord Voldemort's goals in the MORverse. In canon, he wanted power and he wanted blood-purity in the wizarding world. Assuming that Professor Quirrell basically is Voldemort (which seems probable but not certain), it's hard to see his goals as being quite that simple. I've reviewed everything that Quirrell has ever said, finding especially interesting bits/clues in chapters 19-20, 26, 34-35, 60, and 70. But while I have lots of ideas and theories, nothing is definite, and I mostly just can't wait to see how it all turns out.
bookworm914 chapter 16 . 2/24/2011
A friend referred me to this fic, and it is absolutely great so far. I'm definitely enjoying the discussion of 'methods', and the story is really funny. The repetition of 'just kidding, ravenclaw' in this chapter was the first thing that actually made me really _think_ so far (and how cool is it that your fic has made me think!), so I had to review now. Great story, great humor, I'm rushing to catch up, so that I can then eagerly await further updates.
Steve chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Wonderful as always. Absolutely hilarious, and quite profound. I love how Quirell ignores social graces completely, in the favor of complete and total honesty. I don't think that anyone besides Hermione has what it takes to be a heroine, and I think she herself can't stand alone, especially when Harry has the aid of Neville, scion of Longbottom.
Violintide chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Absolutely amazing as usual, and so great to see the ladies of Hogwarts of all ages get screen time! Hoping that putting you one review closer to the record will encourage more people to enjoy your epic work!
The Monster chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
I'm glad that you don't shy away from the politically incorrect observations of gender differences.

There are more men than women at both ends of the probablility distribution of most measurable characteristics. More geniuses and more morons. More heroes and more villians... There is a very simple explanation for why this is true, which is that individual males are expendable, but premenopausal females are not: A tribe can afford to have some men who stray far from the mean; those experiments that turn out badly, meaning that the man in question fails to reproduce his DNA to the next generation, can be compensated for by those that do better than average. One hunter with superior skills can bring the whole tribe much more game than the difference between an average hunter and an incompetent. The alpha male and the others who are the best hunters/warrriors can take multiple mates if necessary, to make up for the men lost doing dangerous things, and the tribe can continue to produce children at the same rate.

But the reverse isn't true. If women get into the habit of doing dangerous, dare I say "heroic" jobs like hunting vicious animals and fighting battles against other tribes, and those women die (or have their reproductive systems damaged to the point that they can't reproduce), the other women can't really do much to pick up the slack. Yes, this is a double standard. We instinctively want to defend women against danger. We don't want them "going after the darkness and teaching it to be afraid". Dammit, that's a man's job!
Liz chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Long time fan of your work! Marvelous escapism, while plunging into the depths of what it means to be "reality."
Anonymous chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
"We'll show him! We'll show them all!"

Harry has mad scientists as his unconscious role models? :-)

I would say Professor Quirrell is one of the most -maybe the most- interesting and complex villains I've ever seen in any form of fiction ... except I'm still not sure if he is overall a villain in this story. But questioning simple labels like that is the way it should be, reminiscent of the real world in a way. Keep up the outstanding writing.

Unfortunately I live way too far from NYC to travel.
Toraffles chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Um. Is it just me or do these girls sound incredibly foolish and silly?
ThatKyubiBrat chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Really like Quirrel in this chapter, great job!
Aubri chapter 64 . 2/24/2011
Regarding the Matrix:

Cue me screaming.
31,551 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,329 1,336 1,337 1,338 1339 1,340 1,341 1,342 1,349 .. Last Next »