Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Marius Khushrenada chapter 59 . 4/13/2011
All around excellent.

Just finished reading, and this is very likely the best piece of fanfiction i've ever read.
Ocean Starfly chapter 5 . 4/13/2011
I about died reading this. Harry and Draco... that was pure awesome. And of course Harry would reduce McGonagall to drinking. And McGonagall's theory for why Harry defeated Voldemort and survived the Killing Curse and the reactions of Madam Malkin and her assistants were priceless. I am still laughing, and will probably laugh out loud every time I think of this.

Oh, one problem I noticed - McGonagall never told Harry about Rowena Ravenclaw but he mentioned her to Draco. I guess it could have been mentioned off-screen, but if it is that's not clear.
Inverness chapter 12 . 4/13/2011
Wow, so it seems Tom Riddle actually DID want that job.
Ocean Starfly chapter 4 . 4/13/2011
You. Are a genius. I am loving super-smart Harry and his ultra-logical arguments/thoughts. I nearly burst out laughing (I'm sitting in Chemistry, so not currently the best idea) when I read the last part with Harry trying to bribe Professor McGonagall. I cannot wait to see how he reacts when someone gets fed up and just says "Because I said so!"

So far, your characterization is amazing and the whole plot is the most amazing Harry Potter fanfiction idea I have ever heard. I cannot wait to read more!

On a side note, I will probably go back and review the earlier chapters later - I was too into reading to stop before since I had uninterrupted reading time in English class (unlike in Chemistry where I have to pay a little attention).
NotImplementedException chapter 71 . 4/13/2011
Great ending! I really hope you don't loose interest in the story, I've really enjoyed it!
Meneldur chapter 71 . 4/13/2011
Just writing this to inform you that I've written a methods of rationality inspired fic, since I know you're interested in things like this. It's called 'Professors Aren't Idiots', and is based on the idea that if no one holds the idiot ball, what the hell are Binns and Trelawney doing at Hogwarts?
AndR chapter 71 . 4/13/2011
Garth,

You have provided no way of responding to you, so I'm posting here.

Daphne was convinced that Hannah and Hermione would vote 'no' when she was planning, however what really happened is that Hannah voted yes, and Daphne's vote became irrelevant.
Garth Smith chapter 71 . 4/13/2011
I've been reading this with great interest. This fanfic is one of the few that make fanfic in general bearable. Granted, it follows the golden rule and thus it can't not be above the masses.

However, there appears to be an error in this chapter that had me re-reading over and again because it didn't make sense:

Daphne had known that hers would be the deciding vote after Hermione and Susan and Hannah voted no. And so Daphne had considered it carefully after her first flush of enthusiasm wore off. She was a Slytherin, after all, and that meant it was her responsibility to keep a watchful eye on their own interests while they were all running around trying to help people - her job to figure out how risky it really was, and whether it would be worth it for them, just like Mother would have done in her place. Always looking out for yourself and your friends like that, was what real Slytherining was all about...

And now Daphne and Susan and Hermione had to stay with the other five, they couldn't possibly let the others go off on their own. Because no Gryffindor would ever live down hurting the last surviving child of the Bones family, and no Slytherin would dare assault a daughter of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Greengrass. (Daphne hoped so, anyway.) And General Granger who'd started the whole thing... you didn't even have to ask.

The names got all muddled in all of that. "Hermione and Susan and Hannah voted no" yet "Hannah Abbott, the nervous little Hufflepuff girl, had in a small trembling voice said "Yes."". Then ... "And now Daphne and Susan and Hermione had to stay with the other five, they couldn't possibly let..."

So if Hannah had voted no, she couldn't have voted "yes" in her small voice. Further, if Daphne had the deciding vote it doesn't make sense for her to "have to" stay with the others since she could have voted "no" and then there wouldn't be anything to "have to" stay for.

That all make sense?
Me chapter 5 . 4/13/2011
All I can say is wow. I rarely laugh out loud while reading fanfics... you managed to make me do it.
ben ologistgmail.com chapter 23 . 4/12/2011
just a thought, with the amount of mental pain malfoy is in, might he have pondered using obliviate on himself
madbrad chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
Hilarious chapter. Your novel is a classic in how it can render truly masterful/witty humour in breaks between the science and super-deep plot. Thank you!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
It occurred to me that I should write a thorough, non-bubbly, non-gushy sort of review, in the spirit of rationalism and cunning - a rational review, given the bias presented in the artifact, probably has a higher chance of being meaningful and encouraging to the author of said artifact.

However, I am far, far, far from a purely or even at times remotely rational thinker, so while I can pretend to play the part, I won't. It wouldn't be truthful.

I will say that reading this story has done more than Entertain me. It not only gave me much depth and breadth of enjoyment and humor and giggling and joy, it prodded a tiny part of my mind that sleeps most of the time. Though I am an avid reader, I would never as a child have been Sorted into Ravenclaw; I am not natively curious. As I read when a child, it never once occurred to me to ask *why*, or how, or question. Growing up changes this, but it's still not natural to me.

But you have reminded me, awakened a voice like the one Draco heard, saying *Test it*. It's a small voice, yet present, and it badly needed to be awoken - or reawoken, since it's not the first time I've heard the scientific principles. Heard and read, but not been taught, like Hermione on the train before Harry taught her. For that matter, maybe in school we should be teaching a lot less science fact and a lot more of how to think, how to handle problems. Capital-S Science, a way of looking at the world, instead of just regurgitating what science has taught us and hoping it takes.

Not that I believe that we should all be pure rationalists, or anything of the sort, or that I'm saying this is some grate Life Changing Event. It's a wonderfully crafted story and it has reminded me ways of thinking, and it is valuable and good.

Dammit, why couldn't you have written this in some way it could be published. Reading on a computer screen hurts the eyes - you owe me a solid nights sleep as well - and a story in this form cannot be physically forced into a person's hands so that they have to read it or feel guilty for not. This sort of work *deserves* payment, and not just the warm-and-fuzzy sort.

Sigh. This is why I stick to short, bubbly reviews. Otherwise I get longwinded and tangent-filled.

The story does everything, so far, that a good story should do, while managing to poke fun at itself and everything else, *and* try to encourage thinking. I wonder what K'vothe would think of it...
Just Awesome Like That chapter 60 . 4/12/2011
AGH.

i was GONNA got to sleep, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

freaking cliffie T.T
Wesley chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
My goodness! I don't know where to start. For one, this has been a wonderful read. I have not read anything of such high caliber for a long, long time. I used to love reading. I would read upwards of 8 hours a day in middle school, then i became smarter than the writers. I have recently stopped reading any sort of fiction except maybe short science fiction. This has reminded me the power of a good author.

There was satire of the premises of Rowling's series, wonderful cliffhangers, no annoying characters as main characters, lovely dramatic irony if you are acquainted with the original series, and rationality ruled all! I would recommend this to any who never really got the point of Harry Potter after reading a book or two when it became popular.

I actually started writing a book about transporting someone rational(computer in all his bone marrow) into a world that suffered an apocalypse like the Atlantic apocalypse, but something seemed wrong after the first 4 chapters. After reading your 72, I not only have realized my folly but have found another source of inspiration. If I ever finish and publish, I will contact you.

All thanks to the edict, "All your base are belong to Rowling." But mostly you. Thank you.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 69 . 4/12/2011
Exssssellent.
32,149 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,330 1,337 1,338 1,339 1340 1,341 1,342 1,343 1,350 .. Last Next »