Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 64 . 4/12/2011
Lovely outtakes all :D
LeafiaPaige chapter 5 . 4/12/2011
Holy crap.

I am laughing so hard right now -

I was a little skeptical at first, but now I have to keep reading. I love your Harry better than the original, and the story is just…wow I can't explain it. It's hysterical. I love it!

Ahhh I'm commenting now so I can subscribe and find it later because I can't read anymore tonight…'

Good luck, and keep writing!

~Leafy
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 45 . 4/12/2011
Beautiful.
AlpineBob chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
It took me a moment to understand what Hermione was driving at in the third line. Then I was mightily amused. :)

Another reviewer has mentioned that "0% fatality rate" doesn't jibe with what we know of the school history. But perhaps the stats only cover the last X years, where X does not go back as far as the years of Tom Riddle & Hagrid.

One paragraph starts:

"Daphne had known that hers would be the deciding vote after Hermione and Susan and Hannah voted no."

So it startled me to see the next one start:

Hannah Abbott, the nervous little Hufflepuff girl, had in a small trembling voice said "Yes."

I really don't have a good handle on who exactly is in the group, but it would appear that there are either two Hannahs, or Ms. Abbott was allowed to vote once each way.

Feminism is not such a hard concept as all that, and most of the SPHEW girls are intelligent enough to grasp the idea, so that bit of communication failure fell flat for me. Of course, Hermione was starting from a flawed premise - that the only reason one would join SPHEW were feminist ones.

The bit where Harry is confronted about Salazar's ghost was amusing.

Finally, in an earlier review I said I thought the SPHEW arc felt like a digression. That doesn't mean I think it IS one, just like it felt like it. WIth this chapter they have begun integrating with the rest of the cast, affecting Harry & Draco (their previous interaction with Dumbledore, while amusing, didn't seem to change him or his plans a bit), so it has less of that feel.

Definitely looking forward to seeing where SPHEW is headed. :)
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 38 . 4/12/2011
Can hardly breathe from laughter at the image of poor Draco shrieking... but ahh, Lucius. Very Vader of you.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 37 . 4/12/2011
We really must break Harry of thinking that a creeping sense of doom is a *good* thing... but awww, Quirrell.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 36 . 4/12/2011
Helplessly giggling. It's so... bloody fire and damnation, it's so *cute*!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 35 . 4/12/2011
Hmm, I wonder if that's *really* what Harry wished for the first time... doesn't seem like the sort of thing that Quirrell would burn on sight. Blaise... new teeth in an interesting character, lovely. And what *is* the cause of the mistrust between Q and Dumblydorre. Must keep reading!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 33 . 4/12/2011
Hundreds of cheers for the Ender's Game references, ahh, Harry, good boy. I adore how Neville is growing in this story, a Hufflepuff for Chaos indaed... plots within plots within plots. :D
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 32 . 4/12/2011
Ravenously curious about Quirrell - I like your version so, so much better than the canon. Warm fuzzies from Harry's understanding that it takes all types, there at the end of the chapter. Incoherent, love story.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 29 . 4/12/2011
Oh cheers, Hermione, go, I can't wait to see how this turns out :D
doconnor chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
I was concerned about the S.P.H.E.W. plot line right from the beginning. I can see how Hermione wouldn't want to play second fiddle to Harry. In the original I think Hermione saw herself as the leader of their little group. Now that Harry is at least as smart and confident as her she doesn't like it.

I don't think there is a lot of interesting rationalist discussion that can be made about feminism. Now your resorting to giving minor characters too much time.

You should have just moved on to going after the Philosopher's Stone. There is plenty of potential for interesting conflict between your three main characters once they acquire it.
storybookknight chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
Rianne Felthorne is probably my favorite OC/Cameo character anywhere. Just the idea of someone having a weird twisted crush on Snape is hilariously awkward.

Also, I love this fic!
Spiny Norman chapter 39 . 4/12/2011
Immortality? Is that wise, demographically speaking? Did Harry P.V.E. never read Malthus' essay on the Principles of Population? The consequences if no-one would die but people would continue to have children!

The means of subsistence (primarily food) would have to keep increasing at the same rate. Else there would be more people than could be fed, which would lead to the Malthusian Positive Checks: war, famine, disease, basically everything that kills you or makes it more likely that you die. The alternative is the preventive check: not having as many children as possible, but keeping the population small on purpose.

Soon there will be 7 billion humans on this planet, all in need of food, water, electricity, oil - even if every country adopts China's 1-child-policy, it is still everyone's DUTY to die.

Note 1. If it turns out that house elves can simply magic food and clean water out of thin air, forget everything I just said. Eventually we would run out of physical space but by then we could hopefully move into space.

Note 2. The man who thought this up, just over 200 years ago, was a genius. Without Malthus there would be no Darwin.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 11 . 4/12/2011
Giggles and giggles and giggles. I laughed til I cried through all of this, particularly the last one. Giggles! And I'm getting loopy from lack of sleep - damn you, excellent story, and making me feel that I must review all chapters because dammit you deserve it. I will finish notes of encouragement and happy praise tomorrow, right now I must sleep.

Story is of Awesome. *nod*
32,147 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,331 1,338 1,339 1,340 1341 1,342 1,343 1,344 1,351 .. Last Next »