Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Tom Reagan chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Well, I'm simply blown away. Such an epic end to this sequence.

Some highlights for me:

'And some unbelievably tactless part of him thought, Yay, we completed a quest and got a minion -'

Oh, mere words cannot describe how much this made me laugh. The whole build up of a horribly stark, tragic and serious scene, and then - Bang! This single line alone would have made my day.

'"The true location doesn't look like a graveyard any more," Moody said flatly. "He moved all the other graves here and Memory-Charmed the Muggles. Not even Bellatrix Black would be told anything about that until just before the ritual started. No one knows the true location now except him."'

This too, is awesome, but for a different reason. I'd gone through the whole scene guffawing with general merriment, thinking that poor old Voldy was really screwed, and then after this it suddenly hit me that, of course, they aren't up against Rowling's Voldemort, they're up against a Voldemort who's been leveled up as much - if not more - than Harry and Quirrel. And I shivered.

Also, I take it that Moody's mockery of a Dark Wizard who went to extreme lengths to get someone to touch a certain portkey, and then portus-ed it again to get back, was a reference to Voldemort's ludicrous scheme in GoF? Very subtly done, and very amusing.

And this,

'It said:

I know it was you.'

I think this all but confirms that Lucius thinks that Harry is Voldemort. Sooo awesome.

As was the rest of the chapter, in my eyes. Probably one of my favourites, actually - there're so many priceless moments, incredible ideas, a smattering of both deep philosophy, emotion and comedy, and all rounded up with excellent writing.

On you author's notes; I know exactly what you mean by fanfic turning into work. I find that whenever you start feeling that you're accountable to your readers, and start finding that you're giving guilty excuses when you haven't updated when you said, then a break is definitely in order, and in this case you richly deserve it. 365k words in something like nine months? That's pretty impressive by anyone's standards. And then of course there's the fact that all of it's of such staggering quality... Anyhow, I hope you enjoy your hiatus and that you manage to regain the feeling of writing for fun you had when you first began.

Yours Gratefully,

Tom Reagan.
simon-st chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Thank you very much for this great story! I'm really looking forward to the next chapters (and I promise I won't check for updates every five minutes).
Ultimate-Zelda-fan chapter 4 . 11/29/2010
Oh dear. It seems that a certain someone is a shopaholic!
You. Are. Brilliant chapter 19 . 11/29/2010
Also confusing the hell out of me. The only model I can form at this point, with the extra-textual knowledge that Professor Quirrell is in fact Voldemort (at least in part), is that Voldemort is sufficiently far-sighted and calculating to conclude that he'd rather have a *highly competent potentially ally* in Harry, even if that means that he might have a *highly competent enemy* in Harry, than have a *potentially ally with a fatal weakness* in Harry, even if that means that he might have an *enemy with a fatal weakness*. Which is awfully fearless and coldly calculating even for a Dark Lord.

I'm also fairly sure that Voldemort was the student in both cases, and there were two different dojos. That he slaughtered everyone in the first dojo in a cold rage, and then noticed that he had *utterly failed to achieve his goal of learning martial arts*, and went to the second-best dojo in the world and learned the lesson as described by Quirrel. Which admirably explains why he was the closest thing to a *successful* Dark Lord in hundreds of years.

In other news, I had to re-read the Harry Potter/Snape confrontation chapters twice in order to fully make sense of them-which is positive feedback, not negative, because I *definitely* had the emotional sense of *being Harry*, of being dragged along by events far faster than even his brain could keep up with. It was wonderful, as was the ability to go back and re-read it slowly and rationally, and get the full texture and richness of the story and sub-texts out of it.

Gratefully,

Mickey.

P.S. Just out of curiosity-are you still reading these reviews? I'm if you are, and would be so kind as to drop me a line telling me so.
Jenny chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Now the name of this section, The Stanford Prison Experiment, finally makes sense to me. That was a nice way to apply the last chapter of The Lucifer Effect to the story, the part about the human capacity to be a hero, and what it costs. I kind of hope Prof. Zimbardo reads this sometime and enjoys it. Have a good break from writing.
tmsupreme chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
I must not be properly calibrated because I am consistently surprised by how great this story is!
E.A.V chapter 40 . 11/29/2010
E.A.V chapter 41 . 11/29/2010
oh, yes. This is wonderful!
E.A.V chapter 42 . 11/29/2010
Full speed ahead! Your storytelling is in top gear!
E.A.V chapter 43 . 11/29/2010
Wonderful! Your storytelling is top notch!
E.A.V chapter 44 . 11/29/2010
Oh, yes!
E.A.V chapter 45 . 11/29/2010
Whoah! Whoah! What? What just happened here? I love LOVE love LOVE this story!
E.A.V chapter 46 . 11/29/2010
Two sides to every argument.

I enjoyed this chapter greatly, once again!
E.A.V chapter 47 . 11/29/2010
I read and enjoyed. When I read "Snakes are sentient?" I had no idea where you were going with it. The next chapter was surprising and wonderful!
E.A.V chapter 49 . 11/29/2010
Yes and yes!
29,834 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,333 1,340 1,341 1,342 1343 1,344 1,345 1,346 1,353 .. Last Next »