Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
IWantaPetBadger chapter 5 . 4/10/2011
Is it me or is there something particularly "Doctor-ish" about this Harry's character?
Veveleyo chapter 61 . 4/10/2011
This is my favourite chapter.

Interesting how without realising it, Dumbledore et all concluded exactly what Quirrel seems to have intended them to conclude from the failsafe vial: that the method of escape was via animagus potion. They suspect another hinted message but it doesn't exist. They were already fooled.
acruducks chapter 18 . 4/10/2011
Even as an AU, Dumbledore and Harry's characterisation is way OOC. This chapter is the straw that broke the camel's back.
IWantaPetBadger chapter 1 . 4/10/2011
Well, this is certainly a twist on the HP series. Is Harry supposed to be a real prodigy?
Lilya chapter 71 . 4/10/2011
Wonderful work, I can't believe it took me this long to find it! (Although I did make up for it by reading all chapters in two days.)

This is going on my "List of stories to mention whenever somebody slams fanfiction writing"

Thank you for this gem.
KayKarenJasmin chapter 71 . 4/9/2011
i just want to say that your theory and everything is great but seriously he's still in his first year? all this? does it even make sense anymore because of that? anyway i truly love your theory but i truly don't think that it makes sense. not at all. but i still like it! oh and anyway i want to say congratulations! this is the story in which i have ever seen the most reviews. i mean seriously, you got 12032 reviews right now! damn man thats great but like what reader- anonymus said, all that?

xoxoxo

smileylol )
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 31 . 4/9/2011
Did Granger read Sun Tzu or something? Because their strategy is key to endless victory-combo. They know themselves and know their enemies.
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 30 . 4/9/2011
Granger used inner-most beliefs of her enemies against them and pushed them toward a common ruin.

Good to see you are a fan of Chaos Undivided!

Blood for the blood God! Skulls for skull-throne! Souls for the soul eater! Death for the death-lord!
LM1991 chapter 71 . 4/9/2011
Oh my gosh, did Rianne really think what I think she thought? If so, excuse me while I giggle a little. Brilliant!
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 71 . 4/9/2011
you get the gossip so fast, you know about things before they actually happen.

Does it mean that the gossip will lead to a meeting between Harry Potter and ghost of Salazar Slytherin? If I remember correctly, the ghost wasn't mentioned before, so it's hidden better than the Chamber of Secrets (which was insistently mentioned by Quirrell).

And, what is going on with Professor Snape? He is the strangest character here. He has seen that Harry Potter isn't a bully, but Harry made a bad guess about bullying history of Severus Snape and James Potter and alienated him strongly. Snape poisoned bones which could be used in resurrection ritual of Voldemort (if the grave was identified correctly). Snape was reading minds of students and quite harassing them, and Harry Potter reached a compromise that he shouldn't read minds of younger students. And now... What is he about to do?

Are you telling me that the first year for Harry Potter isn't finished yet (Hermione Granger's in her first year),

and Harry Potter has already managed to

learn how to kill Dementors and command them,

break Bellatrix Black out of the prison,

persuade Draco to be a scientist,

become an Occlumens by reading the book (therefore immune to Veritaserum),

get the invisibility cloak from Dumbledore (and show off with it; its existence is known to: Dumbledore, Snape, Minerva, Quirrell, Santa Claus),

be friends with the Weasley twins,

and receive a Time-Turner, albeit restricted...

Of course, he has yet to

figure out the terrible secret in the potions book and the purpose of the rock,

read the contents of the diary of Roger Bacon,

visit the forbidden third floor,

find the Chamber of Secrets,

get to see the Voldemort's wand (hidden in the graveyard, under the tombstone to the right of Voldemort's father’s grave),

develop a jinx which will prevent science from working in a specified region (laughing! it's impossible of course; but something magical to prevent any objects from having too high velocity should be possible though it will be complex and have all kinds of loopholes),

sort out who is Santa Claus and where his portkey leads and what his goals are,

understand true goals of Quirrell (whom he doesn't trust now, due to his ability to conceal his thoughts behind masks; Quirrell's and Harry's magics interact with disastrous results; Harry feels sense of doom in his presence and Quirrell says it's caused by Harry),

meet healed and sane (not devoted to the Dark Lord) Bellatrix,

find out whether Voldemort is alive or not, where how and why,

if Voldemort is dead persuade Dumbledore and everybody that it is so,

if Voldemort is alive find a way to prevent him from killing more people,

when Voldemort cannot harm people anymore, Harry should probably confess that it was Harry who broke Bellatrix out of the prison (depends on Voldemort being alive at the moment of break-out, Bellatrix's goals actions sanity and health, Quirrell's goals, Voldemort's interaction with the persons taking part in the break-out)...

I don't know what is going on at all. Though the heroines are going to make any plotting impossible by randomly introducing interesting thoughts, rumors and distractions. Harry will not be tired of Hogwarts, and will not want to take up Quirrell on his offer of deceptive spectacle.

Waiting for Easter?
Falcon's Jade chapter 71 . 4/9/2011
Well, if you're going to explore some of the lesser known characters but have trouble bridging the gap with the main storyline, maybe go through some more with that rumor of Slytern's ghost? How it goes from 'minor' characters to the 'main' cast?

The slytherin girls are respectively trying to seize power officially (through Malfoy) and unofficially (through a perceived seer), maybe you can have the other girls try something as well? Gryffindor girls going to the third corridor and the Hufflepuffs actually succeed in fighting off a bully, for example? I think you can conclude the SPHEW arc once you've fleshed out the characters of the individual witches, and maybe by the end of it Harry can bring a witch into his conspiracy with Malfoy?

One thing I do want to comment though: I thought feminism was about creating a better place for women to live in, starting with recognizing them as humans and having rights to things like being able to support themselves financially. I don't really buy how Hermione couldn't just say that, especially since the protest enlightened pure blood witches about how muggle women are treated.

Oh, and despite what you may be thinking of your recent writing, I do think you ended it in a way that perfectly suited the way you've made the story. "First year! Ew!" from a seventh year Snape fangirl made me laugh. I personally belong in the minority of HP fans who think of Snape as a petty little man who need to pick on children and ought to be publically humiliated again, but you have again caught my attention for him and I wonder what he's up to.

Like many of your fans, I hope you continue writing this!
ariel stormcloud chapter 71 . 4/9/2011
great story
Kitsune chapter 71 . 4/8/2011
... I am awed at how your mind works... )
Selquist chapter 71 . 4/8/2011
This chapter was the least fun to read.

I do want to say that I really like the idea of Hermione's development, what it means to be a hero, and feminism. (I really liked the last few chapters.) I feel like over the past few chapters there has been a well done build-up that hasn't been revealed yet, and that some great lessons will come of that.

However, it is really showing that this is difficult to write. It is also really easy for me to see as a reader why this is tight spot to write yourself out of.

It wasn't as fun to read because your the SPHEW girls aren't as intelligent (my favorite thing about your story is reading about characters who make intelligent conclusions and reasoning)-but to make them otherwise wouldn't make sense. With SPHEW you've also committed yourself to either shifting the focus of the story to ex-extras as they become heroes, or explaining why most of them will fail.

I still look forward to what happens to Hermione, action-wise and character-wise, what happens to Daphne and what you do with her, the 3rd Floor corridor, and all the rest.

I really love your story and will gladly express my thoughts in a fashion that can be electronically transmitted so that you can receive a visual image of the words "please create a mental picture of a person smiling and thanking you, and receive a positive boost of awesomeness!"
Jasper Valentine Bluesummers chapter 36 . 4/8/2011
I'm not usually particularly fond of Harry/Hermione as a couple, but the way you handled it here was very sweet and appropriate. Really good going.
32,139 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,333 1,340 1,341 1,342 1343 1,344 1,345 1,346 1,353 .. Last Next »