Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Saelia chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
First of all, I absolutedly loved your story. It's without a doubt the cleverest, if not the most emotionally compelling fic I've ever read.

I only have two qualms about this story.

First off, and this is the big one, Hermione bothers me. She is too idealistic, self-centered, ignorant, and naive. Her rational and intelligence holds no wisdom, no creativity, and is exceedingly superficial. I just can't see why Harry would like her. She's like a machine with an obsession to be a do-gooder, with no thought to the human beings she is actually trying to help, only thinking of her gains from helping others. There is no emotional connection or admiration for her whatsoever. She falls flat next to brilliant, spontaneous Harry who is truly a conflicted genius, the ambitious, cunning, and deliciously conflicted Malfoy, and Quirrel's outrageously three dimensional characterization.

The other qualm I have with your story may be exactly what you intended, but while it is undeniably innovative and humorous, it doesn't hit home as hard as many other fics in terms of playing off reader's emotions. Maybe it was all the logic, but I only laughed and couodn't cry in this fic.
onefishonly chapter 28 . 7/27/2011
In the middle of this chapter, I finally signed up for to leave a review.

This fic is maybe the first that has really sucked me in. It's actually distracted me from a reread of the Song of Ice and Fire, one of my favorite series ever. I love what you're doing here and how you're doing it-thanks for all the thought and effort this must have taken.
RB chapter 5 . 7/27/2011
:D))) God that was good:

"He was in a situational context where those actions made internal sense -"
RB chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
In this chapter, Harry is scarier than Voldemort
RB chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
I am an intermittent reader of ff, and so far I love yours. Absolutely brilliant. Funnily enough, I came across it on the comments section of a blog I regularly read: greatbong dot net, on an article on agnosticism titled, the Question of Suffering. I thank the person who posted his comment for directing me to your story.
solsbane chapter 19 . 7/27/2011
I swear I read the genre as Drama/Humor.

But this chapter was pretty scary.

I haven't read enough to say where you're going with this plot, but I must say it looks SO promising.

Hope you'll update soon, and hope that I'll catch up to 72 before you do.
M chapter 5 . 7/27/2011
Oh, it is fantastic!
M chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
Love!
xan avalon chapter 17 . 7/27/2011
May I just say that I nominate iHarry's Internal Critic promptly awarded him the All-Time Award for the Worst Acting in the History of Ever./i as the single best line in fan (or for that matter any) fic in the same time frame?

brilliant work here Mr/Ms Wrong. I would do a more thorough review but keep getting distracted pulled along into reading more. Even though I am now on my 4th trip through, a loop I am stuck in until we get, um, y'know, another chapter or 17...
The Infamous Wootermelon chapter 72 . 7/27/2011
Great.
Draeconin chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
While chapter two was very funny, the Flubber, DnD silverware and ejection seats in this chapter just sounded a jarring note, for me. It was out of place. I did like the scene with McGonagall telling Harry his parents' history, though.
OldUserAccount333 chapter 71 . 7/27/2011
After reading LessWrong comments, I was amazed b/c I've never seen people admitting they were mistaken so easily.

Now I realize that debates can turn into rants. That's why intelligent people have to learn how to lose.

Admit it: "Ok, I'm wrong."

You may not agree with everything the other person says, but they said something correctly. Besides, you should know your fights.
33,419 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,335 1,342 1,343 1,344 1345 1,346 1,347 1,348 1,355 .. Last Next »