Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Shadowhawke chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
These battle chapters are *so fun!*. You must have a ball writing them. :D I certainly have a ball reading them. It is also absolutely, absolutely amazing to finally see Harry (potentially!) working his way towards winning one! Have to say, as much as I enjoyed the way the other battles went I was always rooting for the dear old protag, heh.

What can I say? As always, greatly enjoying all the insane and awesome and touching aspects of this story. Thanks again. :)
Shadowhawke chapter 66 . 1/14/2011
Great to see Harry thinking things through! (Yes, I know, the irony). It's amazing how many things you say in this fic that make inherent sense, that can be gleaned as important life lessons. Heh. Also loved the little snippet at the end, can't wait to press 'Next'! Thanks for writing and sharing even though you're so busy. Really enjoying it.
Yqael chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
I just wanted to mention that I love your Hogwarts. Your depiction of the castle itself, that is. It's ever-changing, vast, mysterious, and seemingly unlearnable. Canon Hogwarts seemed to be not quite massive enough sometimes, since I recall times when characters had difficulty finding empty classrooms, unused spaces, and characters were able to seek or run into others a little too easily. You've effectively used elements and ideas from the canon version (moving staircases, secret passages, direction-giving portraits, etc) to create something much more complex, with entire unused levels that exist to be explored. It brings back memories of my own childhood imaginings of infinitely explorable castles with labyrinthine architectures. It's wonderfully done.
Paganimagus chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
Its sad, and great really, how I keep on underestimating YOU.
fotherington chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
Every time I think this story can't get better, it does. Lightsabers, indeed! And flying. And robes. I can understand no force lightning, but landspeeder chases on brooms through the corridor next? I think we need cameos of the teachers watching the action via the wards, too - Pomfrey, Dumbledore and Quirrell at least must be monitoring everything very carefully. And I should think all the others would be watching it for the prestige the students might bring to their House, or for pure amusement. If there's not a betting pool going on (run by Sinistra, as the closest thing to a mathematician?), I'd be amazed.
richard chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
By the Power!

I know that strange little shop, just off Cornmarket.

Please, please go to the History of Science museum, next to the Bodleian courtyard - look for John Dee's Holy Table; a procedural method for deriving the names of demons. Also the Pitt Rivers museum in the back of the University museum, a treasure chest of shrunken heads, votive silver spleens and Japanese armour. And the print room at the Taylorian/Ashmolean, where they have an original edition of Piranesi's Carceri. And Ben's Cookies in the covered market.

Man, I wish I was there.

Review! I see what you're doing, with battles in place of Quidditch, and it's better but I'd like to see you mix it up again (maybe you will), blurring the boundaries between battle world and the rest of the school world, showing how artificial battles are imperfect training...

So I guess Quirrell never said actual duelling curses were against the rules? Stupefy strikes me as massively physically destructive in canon (to the point where I can't figure out how it's supposed to be a "stunning" spell: it seems often to be more effective to knock over a statue/break a window next to the target with it) and when McGonagal gets hit by multiple ones it gets labeled as highly dangerous when used properly - I imagine there will be words, or revisions to the rules, after this.

As soon as I saw the compasses I figured someone would game them: I'm delighted that you've created a setting here where that sort of reader communication works. I would love to see more development of Hermione, though. I even think that the end-of-year hiatus could be an excellent place for a focus shift, from Harry to other characters. Maybe we're seeing that? And I'm loving the Chaucerian courtship discussion going on in Daphne's head, barely disguising her power calculations - those wizards, so medieval, so political, in so many ways. Are we going to start to see not only how (Wizard) Britain doesn't get rationalists, but also how rationalists don't get their environment, in certain crucial ways?
badkidoh chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
Another great chapter.
Keiren-Kun89 chapter 30 . 1/14/2011
Sorry, don't see it happening.
DvorakQ chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
Adorable. Daphne/Neville interaction was just too cute!

excellent update! I like the "and by the way, we're invincible" bit too.
badkidoh chapter 66 . 1/14/2011
Another great chapter.
Spidey-phd chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
ROFL "Even after eight centuries, Hogwarts was still a little shy about changing in front of people."
Majin Hentai X chapter 67 . 1/14/2011
Flipendo the video game only spell, surprisingly almost no-one uses it in Harry Potter stories. I say almost because it's the first time I've actually seen it.
Spidey-phd chapter 66 . 1/14/2011
LOL. Love it!
mantimeforgot chapter 29 . 1/13/2011
I have to say, I am most pleased with progress so far. The ending of the first story arc was amazing. I found the first chapter of this new story arc... to be somewhat lacking in comparison to the previous chapters, but this new set of chapters were clearly quality work. The cunning Harry displays in his battle tactics is truly remarkable. I also find Daphne's "choice" in crush to be most exemplary too (I have to wonder if the decision was subconsciously a power play on her part in addition to the obvious increase in cool factor; the Greengrass and Longbottom families are renown for magical plants are they not? A controlling interest in magical plants is something to consider in the grand scheme of things)
Jonathan Beall chapter 66 . 1/13/2011
Another nice chapter, with some good rationalist-advice. Looking forward to some more action/excitement. Didn't get the "A strange old shop... in Oxford..." reference though.
30,714 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,336 1,343 1,344 1,345 1346 1,347 1,348 1,349 1,356 .. Last Next »