Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Wind-of-Rekil chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Alright, so, I'm totally going to flunk my first semester of college because of you. Well, not because of you alone, my incredibly weak will has, regrettably, a great deal to do with it, but if you fic hadn't been so good and therefore impossible to put down, I wouldn't be three days late handing in that essay. Oh well... Such is life? At any rate, your probably going to ruin my college career, but at least the gap between now and your next update probably leaves me some time to beg forgiveness from my professors and make arrangements to deal with this terrible addiction I seem to have acquired without realizing.

I should probably be putting up more of a fight, shouldn't I?

Ah well. Ah well.
Huffleclawmage chapter 5 . 11/28/2010
THIS CHAPTER HAD ME LAUGHING FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES. You, sir, are a genius.
Phoenix Flight chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
JKR: "Join me, Harry! There's only power and those too weak to seek it!"

MOR: "Mr. Potter, men care for what they, themselves, expect to suffer or gain; and so long as they do not expect it to redound upon themselves, their cruelty and carelessness is without limit. All the other wizards of this country are no different within than he who sought to rule over them, You-Know-Who; they only lack his power and his... frankness."
UncleFesterius chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Wonderful! You sir are a genius and the story gets better with every chapter. Please let us all know, or at least me, when you decide to write a book and I'll buy it!
Miss Teinge chapter 15 . 11/28/2010
You've just done one of my favourite things in HP fanfic: defined magical theories and limits. Thank you thank you thank you.
Hao chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
mynameisthedoctor

On the other hand, I interpreted it to mean that Dumbledore simply didn't accede to Voldermort's blackmail, although your suggestion makes more sense. If what you say is true, the chilling implication is that Dumbledore did indeed have a hand in Narcissa Malfoy death, which could make things messy with that whole thing about the unbreakable vow with Draco.
CrazyBusiness chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
I can't picture what you're describing in this line, "a bright cheerful blaze crackled in a nook that Harry had not before realized was a fireplace, and there were the two umbrellas and three red slippers for left feet", concerning the umbrellas and slippers. Left feet of what? That line really tripped me up when I tried imagining the Head Master's office. Please clarify.

Thank You!

I really love the light ending!
Ijoan chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Amazing chapter. Looking forward to more. The thing that I love about this story is that Harry is not super powerful and better thane everyone. he is still a kid, even though he is very, very intelligent in many ways.
Miss Teinge chapter 9 . 11/28/2010
I really, REALLY like the little snippet of the Sorting Hat's song! This fic is GOOOOOOOOOOOD!
Ilscribe chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
You've written a great story here, it really helped introduce me to a few new ideas i had'nt ever really seen in this kind of context before. That said, I kind of miss the hopeful experimental wonder your Harry seems to have lost.
Kiyoko Michi chapter 12 . 11/28/2010
... I officially love this chapter. And Comed-tea. And the Sorting Hat. I was laughing so hard while I was reading this, and I'm really, really looking forward to reading the rest of it. Not only do you have great ideas, but you also have a good writing style too!

My favorite quote- "Brilliant! If everyone knows, no one will suspect it's a secret!"
cahooon chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
In general:

I have been reading this story since May, and have loved it throughout. Having examples of people _trying_ to be rational is useful, especially when it's couched in such an entertaining story.

I'm a real original HP fan. This won me over in the first few chapters.

An author, earlier, mentioned revision of earlier chapters. Especially since you are still getting readers, and this medium is special in that you can revise long after publication, maybe that would be a good idea. I'd reread.

Ch 62:

Another reviewer mentioned that Harry wasn't asking enough questions. I think this is an important point, considering how much deliberation it took for Dumbledore & Snape to decide that it was Voldemort, not Harry, who was the mastermind of the Azkaban escape. I would expect Dumbledore, as bummed as he is about dumping a war on Harry, to still be suspicious of Harry not being much more puzzled and inquisitive than he was in this chapter.
outofculture chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
I was scared for Harry as of Ch. 61; he had no person to turn to with his pain and guilt, and I was convinced a loss of innocence that severe would have corrupted and broken apart even his mighty bastion of sanity. And it was true, he had no *person* with which to bring up the events of his day and receive sympathy without terrible repercussions. Fawkes' role in offering Harry a chance to start healing was unexpected, fitting, and incredibly uplifting.

Further, and more generally, this is the first fan fiction I have ever read (though since first starting MoR I have branched out into others). I am impressed and amazed at how engaging this alternative universe has been. I care so much about these characters; they're more tangible and, for their positive qualities, commendable than the denizens of many other stories - notably the canon world on which this draws. This work has responded admirably to the general complaints I often have regarding fiction of unrealistic behaviors and poorly considered worlds.

Yeah. I am very grateful this story exists. The effort that went into it shines through to where I feel rewarded even after multiple readings. I wish half the characters weren't 11, though, as their breadth of understanding, well-considered positions and nuanced feelings are far beyond what I recognize as being age-appropriate.
Eric Schwenke chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Thank you for writing a Mentor/General that acts correctly in regards to the Destined Hero's struggle against the Evil.
Mitchell chapter 12 . 11/28/2010
" ... doom is not to be my incompetence."

That does not seem right. Perhaps: "AS A RESULT of my ..."
29,801 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,336 1,343 1,344 1,345 1346 1,347 1,348 1,349 1,356 .. Last Next »