Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
SlytherinRiter chapter 10 . 1/27/2011
Oh, ouch. That had to have hurt Snape... although he's oing to make HArry's life a living hell now. Oh, gods.
Vorel laraek chapter 5 . 1/27/2011
I could not stop laughing at the Madam Malkin's scrnr. Sir, I salute you.
SlytherinRiter chapter 7 . 1/27/2011
Harry...and...Snape? Friends? Oh, that is too much.
Aegeus chapter 60 . 1/27/2011
The quote caught my eye:

only now he realized that the experiment hadn't examined the right question, the one most important question, they hadn't looked at the key people, not the prison guards but everyone else

Interestingly, Wikipedia reports that the Stanford Prison Experiment was shut down early, after just 6 days, because the the experimenter's girlfriend objected to the conditions in the prison. On the other hand, she was the only one to question it out of 50 outside observers, so it still kind of proves your point.
xXFissshBonesssXx chapter 5 . 1/27/2011

This chapter was ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE. I can't think of another story that's made me laugh out loud EVERY chapter. It all feels so natural, so pleasant and realistic, I can't help but wonder if you draw on situations from your own life.

I have to admit straightaway that the entirety of the exchange between Harry and Draco caused my roommates to knock on my door and ask if I wasn't dying of some horrible laughter-induced disease because I COULDN'T STOP. I'm still reeling and instead of plodding on to the next chapter with a grin cross my cheers and cheer in my eyes I think I'll reread this section for giggles.

Or for bursts of concentrated hilarity.
SlytherinRiter chapter 6 . 1/27/2011
Poor, poor McGonagall. I'm sure that she was wishing she had sent Snape or Pompfrey or Sprout.
Media theorist chapter 24 . 1/27/2011
I am loving this book so far. Thanks for imagining a world in which Harry has a different dad, and with that a different approach to the universe.

I'm commenting on this chapter because it's the first one in which I see a major gap in Harry's logic; a seventh hypothesis which might be more powerful than the current leading candidate (that magical knowledge simply isn't being passed on thanks to the interdiction of Merlin). Specifically, it is entirely possible that the great magic from 800 years ago has been exaggerated through the normal workings of oral history. Magicians from 800 years ago are probably only a little bit less likely than jiggles to have been illiterate. Hence much of that history was likely to have been passed on as oral history, which has a tendency to become exaggerated (or legendary) over time. There is a way to compare this hypothesis to the current leading candidate, I think. The oral history hypothesis should lead to a non-linear decline that tracks the rise of literacy among wizards and, probably started sometime in the 18th century, witches. I would expect a reverse logarithmic decline (or, more correctly, a decline in in the perception of historical magical ability that would be a logarithmic function of the decline in illiteracy). That curve would be complicated by the later rise of literacy among witches, but not so much as to undermine a contrast with the more linear decline the forgotten magic hypothesis would entail.

Of course you may have thought of this already (I still have a lot of great reading to look forward to), but the declines documented so far seem logarithmic to me.
NoDrogs chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
This is an extroardinary well-written fic, that has done what I wish many more stories that I had read had done: It made me think. No greater praise can I give.
byakuya232 chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
friken AWESOME! plz make more and that this isn't an abandoned story... P
ExtremelyLargeValues225 chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Awesome fanfic.

The suspense is incredible.

It's a nice change for Harry to be smart.
Andrius chapter 54 . 1/26/2011
Holy cow, don't tell me Dragon Poker is a reference to Myth INC series? I LOVE them :)
atymer chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Even with all the changes in his early life, Harry is still at the mercy of the machinations of the 'adults' surrounding him. I for one can not believe that even in this circumstance Dumpy can be oblivous to his defense teacher, but he is intent on using everybody and everything, even the enemy to train his weapon. Even though he fears Harry now, as much as Voldy's return. Fear dominates everyone's actions. I think Harry has turned a willful blind eye to the identity of his teacher, Harry knows and dares!

I am sure Voldy's ultimate goals are the same, but why all this? He has no feelings, no reason that I can see to extend himself in the directions he has so far. Taking his devoted servant from the prison can be for the reasons everyone expects it to be. After all a catatonic right hand is rather useless.

All I have left is paranoia and the suspicion that comes with it. I know we will find out where this all leads and I am hoping soon.
Blazen chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
You love Hermione. You really love her. A little too much, maybe. But still you story is very interesting
w chapter 67 . 1/26/2011
Pretty much excellent. Hogwarts shy. Draco rocks, as usual; more of him would be nice. Good to see Neville on good terms with H. Indeed, they are hopeless without Zabini, though it would be equally nice if he actually did something of significance during the slaughter. "we're invincible". Daphne is quite cool too. Nice light sabers idea. Conversation of H and H is splendid. ""Same here, I must say," said Harry Potter. "It's sad how people keep underestimating me.". Super Hermione. The timeline somehow suggests that Daphne fell before Hermione flew, but no idea if this is me or if it could be made clearer. Thanks for this.

BTW, I do think stating 9pm as the update time instead of "whenever" is healthier for your readers :).
anon chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
You can't please everyone.
31,008 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,336 1,343 1,344 1,345 1346 1,347 1,348 1,349 1,356 .. Last Next »