Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Alioth Merak chapter 71 . 5/18/2011
The single most epic fanfiction I've ever read, and one of the best stories I've had the joy of reading, right up there with Ender's Game (My favorite book of all time) and the original books themselves. I've read and reread and practically memorized every single chapter all the way through, without skimming, and I've enjoyed every second of it. I even printed out the PDF so that I could carry it with me without my computer!

Eagerly awaiting the next update,

Fayted Eclipse
Ali Sara Card chapter 2 . 5/18/2011
So, I usually wait until I've read everything available of a particular story before reviewing, but I am laughing so hard that I felt you deserved to be honored for the chapter (chapter 2) that I have before me (and perhaps worshiped a little just for good measure). I love fantasy, but I've always wished that some character wouldn't just nod their head and accept that everything they've ever been taught (a slight exaggeration, but not much) is wrong! I'd give you criticism if I had it, but sadly, none yet.
Mark Heffron chapter 6 . 5/18/2011
I must say that this story is starting to grow on me, it started slow and quite boring, but you did mention to wait until chapter 10 before giving up.

Now that I have read chapter 6 I look forward to the rest of the story.

-Mark ( Plymouth, UK )
Maskless Masquerade chapter 7 . 5/18/2011
This is just the right sort of mad brilliance and personality to endear me to this story greatly...and its only chapter 7...of 71! You actually had me completely by chapter 4 but I didn't want to stop reading quite yet to review. The amazing detail into Harry's thought process makes it interesting and his personality is scarily similar to my own at his age-without the prodigy level repository of information and mental speed of course. I just have been talking about "I could do that better/ there is a simple solution for all their problems but only I can see it apparently/ I should be the dictator of the world, is be good at it and I could give my Mom Australia." Type of stuff since before I could remember (my Mom has the stories to prove it) and if that weren't enough to make this story amusing, what I call "positive pessimism" which is always expecting the worst outcomes in any situation and always end up being pleasantly surprised, is my motto. It again, sounds a lot like your version of Harry Potter. In short: I absolutely love this story and I'm going to go back to reading it now...and he hasn't even gotten to hogwarts yet!
LifeSavers chapter 62 . 5/18/2011
I get the feeling you're a libertarian...
Joeluma chapter 71 . 5/17/2011
Awesome. Great work, entertaining, real characters... but it does feel like it has hit a bit of a slow spot here. Maybe some sort of foreshadowing or action to spice things up? Or not... but more more more would be nice too ;)
argylebargyle chapter 71 . 5/17/2011
I'd never actually read any of the Harry Potter books before a friend recommended Methods of Rationality. I can safetly say this is the first time I've ever read a canon book exclusively for the purpose of understanding a fanfic. I was amply rewarded-not only is MoR the single best fanfic I've ever read, but it was in just about every respect _better_ than the canon.

I've been recommending it to everyone who mentions they like HP and quite a few people who haven't.
sarj2490 chapter 20 . 5/17/2011
Just so ya' know my internet has been completely down for the past 24 hours so I went to a wifi hot spot and loaded a tab for each chapter from my last review to this one just so I could continue reading this uninterrupted. Sorry I can't have a more chapter specific review. I thought about compiling my thoughts at the end of every chapter in a word doc, but honestly I'm just enjoying it too much to make it work. And it seems you have more reviews than you may ever need. But yeah, just loaded chapters 21-30 and headed back home. Thanks again!
Lily Winterwood chapter 2 . 5/16/2011
Ffff, even if the entire idea of Harry being a genius takes a lot of belief to swallow, I still like the premise. Maybe it's all of the scientific/rational things being interspersed as a reaction to magic, but I found myself laughing at this.
Omry chapter 2 . 5/16/2011
Great story, I can barley stop reading it, I've got to chapter 26 before I've thought to stop and review. this is just a bit of what's in my brain, you really got me thinking. thank you.

1)Why Aren't Harry & his dad looking for books with interpretations of Quantum mechanics that doesn't exclude Magic, like the "holographic universe",in that theory/model whatever spells would be just another pattern in the hologram of the universe.

2)NOT RELEVANT: J.K said that any not magical child of a wizard is a skib(and they are rare) and it was demonstrated that they are indistinguishable from muggls.(different universe, but still) it would make more sense if magic needs that both parents to be aware that they are the parents. in this way of thought the legitimate child of two skibs will be closer to magic than both parents.

this is not an attempt to tell you what to write, just an emotional response to your story.
Omry chapter 2 . 5/16/2011
I've should
Reka chapter 63 . 5/16/2011
OK, so this is by far the best-written fanfic I've ever encountered (no eggcorns! no grammar errors! imagine that!), but that's kind of damning with faint praise...

I think that this *isn't* What-if-Harry-Potter-was-a-rationalist, this is What-if-you-stick-Miles-Vorkosigan's-brain-into-Harry-Potter's-life. Which is vastly amusing, don't get me wrong, but it also leads to the biggest problem: Harry doesn't just have Miles' brain synapses (and tendency to get into vast universes of trouble), he's also Miles' *age*, i.e. nearing 40. Which is a trap a lot of fanfics fall into, but it's especially disappointing for this one, because it started out so well, and it is so well-written.
Vindeen chapter 71 . 5/16/2011
Alright, so I liked it a lot. Hope you keep up the good work.
hermionesw chapter 71 . 5/15/2011
so far this is this most interesting take I've ever read of a HP story. Whoever you are, you are a brilliant writer, and my new idol. I'm in the process of convincing my friends to read this story because it will finally prove that I am not the only one that has this thought process. I don't post my fanfic but they have similarities to yours but not as eloquently written. I cannot wait to see the other twists and turns your story will take.
Dragon Man 180 chapter 71 . 5/15/2011
I can just see Snape groaning at girls' sometimes one tract minds at the last line.
32,478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,336 1,343 1,344 1,345 1346 1,347 1,348 1,349 1,356 .. Last Next »