Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
FuzzyBoots chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Were it not for a fair amount of establishing text on phoenixes being intelligent in the world of Harry Potter, I might accuse Harry of projecting, anthropomorphizing Fawkes's cries so that he hears what he wants, much as people do with their cats today when they meow.

So, Harry has some of the clues that he needs to realize that Quirrell's plans are likely not to his own good. The question is whether he can admit that he has been so wrong for so long. The fact that he's still got some degree of shock over magic existing might work for or against in this case.

Good story. Looking forward to the rest of the parts over the next month. :)
Eli Courtwright chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Oh man, I just realized that you forshadowed Margaret Bulstrode haveing a Time Turner and how she 'wasn't very strict about how she used it, e.g. sharing really good pieces of gossip "before" anyone else had heard' in Chapter 46.

When Tracy and Daphne rush into the Slytherin common room to tell everyone the news about Harry and Hermione, they find that "Miss Bulstrode" had already told everyone! That's some awesome foreshadowing!

However, in Chapter 46 she's referred to as "Millicent" rather than "Margaret" - is that a nickname or a mistake?
Paganimagus chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
The sourcing of the extra time-turner was both exasperatingly unfair, but satisfyingly credible. Well done.

I love Fawkes too. Hes sweet

And lessened my worries (only a touch) about Harry's dark side dominance.

Hermione may have been a little right...
CaptainBooshi chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Enjoying the fic so far, just wanted to comment on some of the reviews I saw for this chapter:

-In retrospect, the author all but told us Millicent had a time-turner already. Back when Hermione kissed Harry, the two Slytherin girls rushed back to tell the story as quick as possible, and Millicent had already told everyone, they had already stopped talking about it, and had time to get comfortable again, something that should only have been possible with time-travel. I think there was even another similar case, but I can't bring it to mind, so I might be wrong about that.

-To the people defending Azkaban, there is a difference between agreeing with the need to imprison people and agreeing that anyone above a certain level of crime should be tortured every moment of their remaining lives until they die. It's not a very high level of crime, either. At least one person is in there for involuntary manslaughter, e.g. the woman who accidentally killed someone a few chapters back, and I think they mentioned that even being an Animagus illegally is a sentence that will get you into Azkaban. That's not even getting into the question of innocents being sent there to a fate that sounds even worse than just a straight death sentence.
ender13sfd chapter 39 . 11/28/2010
Well, you have created a nice Debate between Dumbeldure and Harry.

Obviously Dumbledore's arguments are meek at best (he sounds like an old priest) but so did one of Harry's.

An example:

"if people had souls there wouldn't be any such thing as brain damage" exactly like people can't move their arm after it's been cut off, it doesn't make them less alive..

However under this story's constrains Dumbledore's position is indeed poorly dependable and even more poorly defended.

It's your story to tell...
SurahAhriman chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
First of all, I'd like to note that this is one of the most wonderful things I've ever read.

I think Harry is correct about the evil of Azkaban. The use of Dementors as prison guards is appalling, particularly when one remembers that the cannon story shows an enormously powerful Dark Wizard (Grindewald) imprisoned without the use of Dementors for over five decades! Simply removing a wizard's wand neuters them to a massive degree in the Potterverse. It does not stretch the imagination to think other precautions could not be easily taken to increase security, such as, off the top of my head:

Anti-magic zone.

"No magic from any wand not specifically keyed to daily passwords provided by both the Minister of Magic and the Head of the Aurors" permanant area charm.

Shadowrun-style "mage masks": Tube down the throat (no incantations), goggles flashing strobe lights (can't concentrate/can't see), headphones blaring white noise (can't concentrate, now deprived of the two most useful senses). Still torture, but not "Holy crap, animated magical Death is feeding on the remnants of my happiness" torture.

Medically/magically induced coma. Charm up some bad dreams if you favor a retributive theory of punishment.

Yes, you might need to up the amount of guards, but frankly that would probably be a lot easier if guard duty didn't consist of 8 hours of high octane, eldritch nightmare fuel.

Also, I loved Fawkes. Very nicely done. It took a second reading to tease out the nuance of what exactly was happening, but you masterfully sidestepped a big opportunity to break my suspension of disbelief.
Difdi chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
a special kind of science called opposite reaction, so the plan

is to develop a jinx which will prevent that science from

working around Azkaban."

Oh dear. The Wizarding World is all but made of the Law of Unintended Consequences, and this one promises to be a doozy. Opposite reaction, after all, is how you describe part of the mechanism by which human muscles and bones interact. Or how one walks across a room by virtue of one's feet pushing against the floor. Cast a charm that negates the science of opposite reaction, and you get rid of both friction and many types of levers in one fell swoop.
Luiz4200 chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
"In particular," said Dumbledore, "there is a certain very foolish thing that Gandalf does in the first book. He makes many mistakes, does Tolkien's wizard; but this one error is the most unforgivable. That mistake is this: When Gandalf first suspected, even for a moment, that Frodo held the One Ring, he should have moved Frodo to Rivendell at once. He might have been embarrassed, that old wizard, if his suspicions had proven false. He might have found it awkward to so command Frodo, and Frodo would have been greatly inconvenienced, needing to set aside many other plans and pastimes. But a little embarrassment, and awkwardness, and inconvenience, is as nothing compared to the loss of your whole war, when the nine Nazgul swoop down on the Shire while you are reading old scrolls in Minas Tirith, and take the Ring at once. And it is not Frodo alone who would have been hurt; all Middle-Earth would have fallen into slavery. If it had not been only a story, Harry, they would have lost their war. Do you understand what I am saying?"

Is this your own opinion on the topic or just what you think Dumbledore would believe?
dinosaurusgede chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
Horay foR New Chapter! \()/

Wow. good they didn't figure it's Harry.

Too bad Harry first year will end, and so is Prof Quirell.
mikhail-ling chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Good writing, as always. Just a few downers after the emotions settled. One is, and I'm sorry if I didn't pick this up earlier, the Bulstrode time turner. Kinda a deus ex machina if it wasn't foreshadowed earlier - I mean, it's rather convenient for there to be another student with another time turner running around, when it's supposed to be some secret dangerous item given only to students with great need (like to Harry, to regulate his sleeping patterns) or great trustworthiness (like to Hermione in canon). Kinda convenient too that she'd be just so willing to play the part of a plot device to putt the story along. Just saying.

The second is related to comparison with Quirrell in the previous chapter. Don't get me wrong - I like how you set up Dumbledore/Quirrell matchups in back-to-back chapters, to play on the tension of Harry's mind. What I didn't like was the use of Fawkes to play up the "Azkaban is evil, and Dumbledore's just sitting at the side not doing anything about it" shtick. I mean, seriously now - is it likely that this is Fawkes' first time in Azkaban? If not (the first time), is it likely that it has never felt the torture that goes on while it was there? Fawkes has met Dementors before, so surely it has felt/observed the effects of dementation. Further, are creatures of pure good unable to comprehend the notion that it is not Azkaban that is evil, but the people who place innocents in it that are? (Perhaps this is due to my own personal beliefs regarding prisons, criminal laws, and the death penalty, but I do strongly believe that notwithstanding abuse of the system, places like Azkaban serve their purpose, and cannot be broadbrushed as "evil"; least of all by a bird who just happens to be a symbol of light - but that's a philosophical debate on crime and punishment to be left for another day, I guess). One might expect Fawkes to demand Dumbledore to rush into the Ministry and root out all aspects of corruption like a blunt hammer goes to a broken computer, if one were to follow the same "animal logic". Yet these things don't happen. So... Yeah.
kitiem3000 chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
This is the first time I really see the child in Harry. He wants something so he throws a tantrum and then threatens to get what he wants.

He had no right what so ever to demand, even ask such a thing from Dumbledore. Even when the headmasters PET began wailing for it.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
wow...
nightbug08 chapter 15 . 11/28/2010
I hate you, I should be sleeping right now, I should have been sleeping awhile ago, but nOo, I Had to stay up until 5 in the morning when I Know I need to be up at 9. And now I'm wasting more time telling you this! Hate!

(lol jk)
Gogolu chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Cool.
Brilliant. Absolutely brill chapter 14 . 11/28/2010
iant. Especially that moment at the end, the "wad some power" bit of self-realization. You have created a marvelously complete, three-dimensional (heck, four-dimensional, at this point) Harry Potter.

Thank you, again.

Sincerely,

Mickey.
29,801 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,338 1,345 1,346 1,347 1348 1,349 1,350 1,351 1,358 .. Last Next »