Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
dimestoredramatic chapter 72 . 7/31/2011
I read this in what was essentially one go (I did take small breaks for meals and, on one occasion, for sleep), and although it took hours I feel as though it were mere minutes, such was my immense enjoyment of the writing; contrastingly, however, I also feel as though it has been years since I first began reading, a sensation I'm certain must be due to the amounts of knowledge I have amassed throughout my reading. It's the sort of story that, once finished, begs to be read again and again. I'm sure I could never tire of reading it.

What I want to say most of all is thank you, for the knowledge you have shared with me is invaluable. Rather than now rereading the story, as I previously hinted I might do, I'm off to explore your website for as much more information as I can find. I'm looking forward to being further fascinated!

I'd like to thank you not only for the knowledge, but also for the inspiration. Last month I graduated from high school, and have recently been accepted to a university. I'd been at a loss for which courses to take, and this story helped me to discover what new things I might be interested in learning.

Thanks for the laughter and the extremely satisfying reading and all the numerous other great things your story has given me!

Janet
BeakersRUs chapter 22 . 7/31/2011
I have you say, you stumbled across something that's been an annoyance of mine for a while now.

Periodic Table Element 13 is Aluminium, NOT Aluminum.

I know the IUPAC caved and added a foot note to the table, but that's really no excuse. Neither is "I'm American" because so am I. ;)

Doubly bad when you mention the CRC as a guiding book of Harry's at one point.
Justin chapter 2 . 7/31/2011
Y'know, the opening of this chapter has me curious.

Have any wizards in this universe attempted to win the $1,000,000 challenge from the Randi foundation?

All they would have to do is be able to perform their magic under scientifically verifiable and testable conditions and be able to repeat it.
misundersnape chapter 20 . 7/31/2011
Your version of Harry seems like a toddler playing in a sandpit 'beside' other children, and never really engaging with 'people'. Almost like he suffers from Asperges. The world, from his viewpoint, is a hostile game to be played, with such subtle yet vital rules, which as an eleven year old he hasn't quite worked out yet, even though he commands such unbelievable knowledge. Most of it goes over my head, I will admit, but even just lowly, ole, mummy Me can work out this boy is a bit weird and to be honest rather unrealistic as a character.

I am happy to see that your Harry doesn't necessarily have it over all the adults, Severus in particular as he's supposed to be intelligent too, but your Harry feels at times at least equal in wit and knowledge... and unfortunately this does not ring true to me.

I attribute your great review count to largely bemusement on your readers parts, but heh, maybe I'm just too low-brow to 'get' it.

I might continue to skim, I've enjoyed the Harry/Severus parts despite my gripes, and I will admit to this fic being very unique, I may stumble on more entertaining portions.

misundersnape...
dp chapter 7 . 7/31/2011
Just read my comment and noted that the first paragraph sounded wrong. I do not think this fiction has too long descriptions, I just meant that I dislike them in general. Yours, obviously has none.

Sorry for the errors, actually I know how to spell but I am to clumsy to type (and too lazy to check).
dp chapter 5 . 7/31/2011
I've just reached the end of the fifth chapter od that interesting fanfiction of yours. Since English is not my mothertongue, I doubted I would continue reading because I tend to get bored by overly long decribtions and explanations, or tend to stop because of my incapability concerning unknown vocabulary.

Althoug your fanfiction uses not only many words I don't know, but also theories and objects I do not even recognize in my native language, the main idea of your story is really refreshing. I like how the characters turned out completely different just by changing the relationship between Lily Evans and her sister. To depict Harry as a somehow antisocial genius, seemingly cleverer than Hermione and perhaps more malicious or at least more mischievous than Draco makes me wonder how the other characters will be affected.

The most appealing point, however, is the rational view on magic. A thing I disliked about the Potter books was the wizards arrogance, as in my eyes they are no developed society and belittle the muggles technical achievements, as well as other creatures in general. So how does magic work? After all there have to be laws, magic itself should be scientificly explainable if you think about it. Why do certain men have access to this force? In difference to the muggles wizards seem to have no interest in researching, which is quite a shame.

Finally I ave to state that I am not experienced in critisizing literature (apart from academic usage), so unfortunatly I cannot express critique regarding setting, plot, etc. I just wanted to underline that the main idea is very appealing and gives the reader the opportunity to imagine a completely different story.
AuthorOfDreamsXVII chapter 1 . 7/31/2011
Wow. Now this is something different! I can already tell this is going to be one of the most intelligent Fanfic stories I'm ever going to read. I can see why it's the most popular HP fic on the web, it's Smart! I can't wait to see what happens next. Heheh, the funny thing is, is that I've never even read any of the Harry Potter books. But I don't think that's going to be a hinderence for me, though. Anyway, I hope to learn something! One Love.
Simplex chapter 72 . 7/31/2011
Simply can't resist being #13,337. :) Been reading this fanfic ever since i stumbled on it a few months ago, and apart from being a magnificent read for the story itself, it's also helped me identify the flaws in my own thinking. For that, I'll always be grateful. Looking forward to more new chapters, whenever they're ready.
goobidoo chapter 72 . 7/30/2011
Wow your fic is AWESOME! :D i have now read it three times through. And at the end of each reading i finished on the SAME CHAPTER! You know why? Because you DON'T UPDATE IT OFTEN ENOUGH AND I HAVE READ IT THRICE SINCE YOU LAST DID!
MinawaAsuka chapter 11 . 7/30/2011
Omg, I laughed so hard at this chapter. So funny!

I seriously love the whole fanfiction, it becomes a compleatly different story after you've changed Harry but it's still easy to relate to since it's "Harry Potter. But then again, duh, that was your point...

Anyway, love it, very very well done (are you actually that smart?) and I look forward to reading the rest. Love Minawa
braindoll chapter 1 . 7/30/2011
Eliezer, I think the time has come when it would be appropriate to ask for your guess as to how many chapters remain and how long they will take you. I'm not asking for commitments, because I dont want writing to be a chore, but I'd like more data to better assess whether I think this will ever be complete.

I'm still mad at Rosemary Kirstein, and it's been over 8 years since I read her Steerswoman books. In fact, part of why I loved this was that it had similar rationalist action but seemed more cohesively planned and thus finishable. I could forgive you much more easily for an honest assessment than I could for indefinite false hopes.

Sincerely,

A fan
lizoftheinfinite chapter 19 . 7/30/2011
dude.

no words.

no caps.

just . . .

that was such a good chapter for Harry, especially considering his characterization up to this point. I have a feeling the ability to loose will be very good for him. :)

lizoftheinfinite chapter 18 . 7/30/2011
Um. Forget what I said about worrying about this story not having much heart. Because it totally just did. And if my reviews are getting less and less coherent, it's because I have to get up in four hours to go swim at the state champs, and it's all your fault I'm still awake. GAH.
lizoftheinfinite chapter 16 . 7/30/2011
My favorite quote:

I CAN DO MAGIC! FEAR ME, LAWS OF PHYSICS, I'M COMING TO VIOLATE YOU!

My favorite part:

Harry being the most dangerous because of his intent to kill. That was so well done. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH RIGHT NOW, OHMIGOD, OHMIGOD.

. . . and even though I'm mostly lesbian, I am making an exception for you. Please marry me now. I will cherish you forever.

. . . sorry, no marriage proposals till I've read the last thus-far-published chapter.

OHMIGOD YOU'RE SO AWESOME.

Hero worship does tend to give one a full head, so I will point out flaws I come across because I personally hate getting a full head and I'm sure you feel the same wow my use of commas sucks

AGHHH I'M JUST GOING TO READ MORE.

MY COMMAS STILL SUCK.

AGGH.

lizoftheinfinite chapter 15 . 7/30/2011
Seriously love the amazing awesomeness you did with Transfiguration. The subject itself has always scared the crud out of me (I always wondered why wizards didn't use transfiguration for everything they needed in life, like if they were hungry, and now the thought squicks me out. -_-) and you did an amazingly, amazingly good job. I've already said that. Damn. Also love the Harry/Hermione battle, it's cute and fits in with their personalities well. Also love Harry's lack of a super-powered evil half, it's hilarious. F*ck, I'm going to end up reviewing every chapter at this rate. NO. I MUST STOP. I MUST HAVE A PARAGRAPH IN HERE SOMEWHERE, BECAUSE CHUNKS OF TEXT SUCK.

Naaaahhhh

I'mma read the next chapter now . . .

-liz
33,603 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,344 1,351 1,352 1,353 1354 1,355 1,356 1,357 1,364 .. Last Next »