Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Anon chapter 67 . 1/22/2011
Great story!

As for what Harry would do against an imperious; I would imagine the mental conversation to go like this:

Bad Guy Jump on the desk

Harry What desk?

BG That desk in front of you.

H There's no desk in front of me

BG It right there!

H No it isn't

BG Well, what's that then!

H Nothing but a plank of wood

H Your cousin isn't here.

BG What?

H English, do you think it?

Justin G chapter 67 . 1/22/2011
"You could build up quite a position of wealth and power over a dozen generations of being second in command."

Yes, but wouldn't three generations suffice?
iamnuff chapter 63 . 1/22/2011
A Muggle narcotic called LSD. A conversation yesterday put me in mind of Muggle things, and LSD seemed the most interesting option, so I hurried to obtain some. If it is incorporated into the resurrection potion, I suspect its effects will be permanent."

this makes me sad that its not the real grave...
iamnuff chapter 62 . 1/22/2011
And some unbelievably tactless part of him thought, Yay, we completed a quest and got a minion -

Shut up. If you ever want to vote on anything ever again... shut up.

oh god, i would have cracked the fuck up at that... that would have made me sound so fucking evil...

yeah, i was expecting bella's boy as the first one, but it was nev instead
Ngandu the Croc chapter 26 . 1/22/2011
He LITERALLY crushed her!

This Quirrel is badass.

Loving this story.
lunkwill chapter 66 . 1/22/2011
What is Harry doing to defend against Imperius? Surely it's high on his list of risk factors, especially now that he has effective defenses against death eaters, legilimens and general attacks.
Snowflake chapter 62 . 1/22/2011
The truly good person is the one who looks at an evil institution and says, Tear it all down.
aaronmicalowe chapter 66 . 1/22/2011
I can now type "methods of rationality" quicker than my lifetime password _
Snowflake chapter 67 . 1/22/2011
E.A.V chapter 66 . 1/21/2011
E.A.V chapter 67 . 1/21/2011
Very nice! The tension of the story seems to have slacked with the start of the new arc, but it's like the plot is spiraling up.
Brian chapter 63 . 1/21/2011
I just wanted to thank you for Moody's scathing critique of the weak plot of the 4th novel. I've been thinking pretty much the same thing since I first read it. For a long time, I've been trying to convince everyone I know to read the novels, which I love. But recently, I've started trying to convince everyone I know to read Methods of Rationality. I hope the widespread popularity of this fic leads to at least a little more rationality in the world. We sure could use it.
Mark chapter 6 . 1/21/2011
Professor McGonagall as a "potential collaborator" may point

out two shortcomings in the logic and that leaping to conclusion has left one false assumption.

First, that the same principles should not consider Harry as an participant, that the insertion of purchases for healing pack and other items is not part of the fault and that any lack of planning be solely McGonagall, is inconsistent with the claim of collaboration. One must admit responsibility for one's own actions and their effects in the larger scheme. One has to wonder indeed that Harry has not worked with McGonagall but instead spent effort at circumventing controls and now trying to make some point so his own behaviour is that "getting the job done" was less important than taking control and putting her down.

Second, reasoning from the single event to be the same as the general situation and draw a broad conclusion is both too few examples and too narrow a focus to draw such conclusion from. Consider the many goals and considerations along with or above this goal led to this momentary irritation, and that more factors than mentioned should play a larger role in such a conclusion. Consider whether collaboration depends more on trust or predictability, as well as whether there is a *want* to collaborate with unknown goals or someone who expects perfection and trust of others but not himself.

Lastly, this leap to conclusions instead of asking further has left an untested assumption that Harry knew all the conditions. Included in this is that McGonagall could not or would not have other alternative means to get the job done. Whether McGonagall would have made good the difference, or haggled the man down, or have sold Harry's signatures he now will never know. And considering the recent war, the meaning of "no matter what" would allow assaulting the clerk or indeed leaving Harry's own lifeless body on the floor.
Ryan W chapter 67 . 1/21/2011
Regarding this chapter; I don't quite understand how hovering Hermione was supposed to help, aside from being a sort of cinematic effect. Crouching Tiger Hidden Wizard. It seems like a bad military tactic for someone to be up in the air unless they're moving very quickly or are immune to missile weapons. And while that would explain the whole crash, I don't see why Hermione didn't anticipate that this would be a problem indoors.

As for the series as a whole; most excellent! It's tearfully rare that a writer is capable of believably constructing an intelligent character. This is the best story I've read in ages. It seems much shorter than it is, which means it doesn't want for editing and flows nicely. It maintains tension and suspense. And it develops a world.

I am a little suspicious of the genetics in chapter #23. Recessive genes are usually 'defective' genes of some type where the defect only matters if you lack a copy of the proper gene. (and can be beneficial otherwise, much like the mother of a color blind man is a tetrachromat.)

I've heard that you've said Harry was wrong in his interpretation of the genetics, but I don't know where to find that comic.

Thanks again for your writing!
iamnuff chapter 51 . 1/21/2011
does that mean sris is guilty then? or will they break him out too, if only by accident?
30,993 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,344 1,351 1,352 1,353 1354 1,355 1,356 1,357 1,364 .. Last Next »