Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Yowzah!
E.A.V chapter 61 . 11/29/2010
Holy Guacamole, Batman!
E.A.V chapter 62 . 11/29/2010
Holy Cow, what a chapter!

!
E.A.V chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Dear Less Wrong,

Wow...It's safe to say that the aftermaths were perhaps the best part of the whole prison break beside the description of the broom ride. I loved how you jumped to utilize Trelawney, who hadn't been a part of the plot up to that point. Perfect!

Please enjoy your holidays! I hope that you will be able to regain that sense of writing for pleasure that you've mentioned.

Very truly yours,

E.A.V.
me chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Poor Harry. I don't want to think about what a blow it's going to be to him when he realises how dark Hermione really is. After all, she refuses to inflict minor pain simply because she's ordered to, but is more than willing to cause major pain because she imagines herself to be wronged somehow. I suppose it's a sign of Harry's selfesteem issues that he doesn't consider cruelty against himself to 'count'?
Lynn chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
The King of Hearts. The *suicidal* king, as in "One-eyed jacks and suicidal kings wild."

Quirrell shouldn't be "clever" like that, not even as a joke. It wouldn't be a sensible choice for anyone else who wanted to give Harry a way to get away from Hogwarts, either. Not that everyone's sensible, but still.

I suppose it makes sense if it's Dumbledore, and if the portkey sends Harry to Dumbledore's office or something if Harry decides he's had enough of Dumbledore's control. Then the choice of card is a subtle warning, not foolish overcleverness.
Angurvddel chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
I like the chapter, but I think the Milgram experiment, while relevant, doesn't make for a particularly good analogy. When taken as the base standard, and the variation that you mentioned it seems analogous, but given the _many_ variants and the respective swings in participation to the end it becomes less accurate. For example, the 'distance' of the experimenter is also a variable, if the experimenter wasn't in the same room as the teacher compliance decreased to about 21%.

More telling in some ways, a _dissenting_ experimenter disagreeing with the experiment (other voice of authority, so one experimenter going on, and one disagreeing) caused compliance to be reduced to 0% In that context I would wonder why Harry didn't challenge Dumbledore on that front. Even if Dumbledore doesn't go in free everyone himself, why don't he at least offer a dissenting public view? (The answer is likely to be the same one given before, Chaos, etc.).

In other words, I feel that that you're looking at the experiment like a cutoff, as if the difference between the three and the other thirty seven is some kind of switch, where as in reality, it is a difference of magnitude. Practically speaking, to affect a change here, it isn't necessary to change the nature of humans or wizards, but to change the context of their perception.

And there too is an interesting assumption that the experiment makes, and that is is that _without_ the influence of authority, no one would comply with the experiment.
QuestSeeker chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
It keeps getting better!I can't wait to see what happens next!
Entropic Specter chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Oh boy. This last arc was really quite something. Epic you might say, even. Delicious. I was actually to busy digesting the awesome, to review before. Thanks for writing. Really.

And before anyone starts any silly rumors, the fic is not over, Harry's first year is not over (how would that even work?), and it is still the second Sunday of February in story time.

Wait, are you implying it will end with his first year? I'm not sure how to feel about that. Well, guess I'll have to belief in your word craft skills and hope all turns out well.

For now, I wish you a good/successful/appropriate-adjective hiatus. Apart from that, thanks for the great work, keep it up, and... Well... Update soon, please.
Morbious20 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Awesome chapter
xsithspawnx chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Definitely the best fan-fic I have read so far, and one of the better works of fiction I've read as well. I'm sad to hear I'll have to take a break from reading these awesome methods chapters for a while, but if it helps you keep writing this in the long run then have it. Restore your creative juices and come back to this with a vengeance when you are ready. Thanks for writing this amazing fan-fic for all of us to read.

Also, great tie up to an awesome story arc in chapter 63. It gave really good resolution to the arc with just enough anticipation for what's to come next. I also like how the fic has begun moving into the first stages of, if not an endgame, then at least a much broader feel rather than the somewhat focused view it had on Harry (not that this wasn't super fun to read as well) earlier.
hjcallipygian chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
I have this mental picture of you sitting down, rubbing your hands together and cackling with glee because you get to write Mad-Eye Moody finally. ) Especially as you got to add Iocane Powder.

I can't help but hope that the person who is leaving Harry notes is Peter Pettigrew, who is playing both sides off one another and has somehow decided to give all his loyalty to Harry and is crazy creepy and sneaky and all that. I have yet to see anyone do a capable, interesting Pettigrew, and you seem like the dude to pull it off. Anyway.

Have a nice little vacation! I hope all goes to your liking, if not your plan.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Very good once again, I wont specify all the things I loved in this chapter, just use your Hiatus well and keep the quality that high!
Squeamish chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Om.
William H. Stoddard chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
So, like, this is just a wild idea . . .

You've clearly reached a point of temporarily slack narrative tension and momentum. The motives for new actions are still there, but the forward movement of ongoing actions has slowed.

You've also written a massive amount of prose! I've heard it said that your fic is already as long as the first three Potter books.

To me, this suggests that you've reached a natural point to declare that this point in the "Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres" story marks the end of the first novel, "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality," and that when you start up again, it will be the opening installment of the second novel. You might even deliberately make that first new chapter a jump-on point for readers who are coming in in midstream; there are well established literary devices for doing this, which you can see in (for example) the later Harry Potter novels. You would then give your readers a sense that the story thus far is a single entity that can be perceived as a unit, and that defines a single movement in HJPEV's life to a single crisis.

Of course, you'd have to have titles for the forthcoming novels. "Harry Potter and the Consent of the Governed"? "Harry Potter and the Harmony of Rightly Understood Interests"? (Really, you know, the only answer to QQ's challenge to utilitarianism.) "Harry Potter and Cause and Effect"?
29,979 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,344 1,351 1,352 1,353 1354 1,355 1,356 1,357 1,364 .. Last Next »