Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
NamuNamu chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
I love this story more with every chapter. This was a PAINFUL chapter to read, though- I was almost crying by the end. I don't know what is it about your Harry that makes me emphasize with him so much, but I find him more moving than pretty much any "incarnation" I've read. Can't wait to see the next chapter!
Harriverse chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
I guess this means that Quirell is not Voldy? This was a hard chappie to read and you made it plain that it was difficult for Harry as well.
malcolm75k chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
So, Harry Potter has been set up masterfully.

Quirellmort and Lucius probably conspired here. Quirell has set up a situation where Draco can become trusted and "in control by appearing to be subservient" by helping Harry Potter control his own anger and need to win issues.

Lucius either actually sent the letter to Draco already, or trusts his son's training enough to take advantage where it is appropriate.

So, the bets are on the table: Harry turns to dark side or is betrayed vs Draco is turned to the light or betrays V's forces.

The hands have been dealt: Harry's cunning, intellect, scientific training and Draco's desire for power vs. Draco's manipulative cunning and crooked dealers (Quirell).

Should be a good game.
Arkeus chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
Very nice work there.

Loving how remembering this is probably Controlled!Quirrel means there should be another layer beyond the obvious.
Luciun Weasley-Ogg chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
This was a really brilliant chapter i found the idea of "learning to lose" fasinating where did you get it from?
E.F.Devereaux chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
I'm no longer sure if this story is all that good.

You invest way to much maturity in your characters, and its all well and good that you to have made Harry some kind of genius, but you have made almost all of the main characters to be as smart and calculating as him; I think you forget that they really are only eleven.

You seem to think that they have way more life experience and the ability to accept some facts of life which are way beyond the understanding of a first year.

And also, in what world is emotionally abusing a child a just way of teaching them how lose with grace? That is in no way O.K, and even if your Harry is mature beyond his years, this would be emotionally scarring to any child.

Please give a little more thought into the basic biological characteristics of a childs mind. And even in the wizarding world, i like to believe that physical abuse is not a correct way to conduct a lesson.

Apart from all of this, this is an amazing idea with an innovative storyline. You have a wonderful skill, and it is only this last chapter which has me slightly disallusioned. I believe whole-heartedly that you can save this story.

Sorry for the insanely long review, but I do love this story, even if this last chapter is a little harsh in my eyes.

Emme

XX
Common Reviewer chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
I thought I'd read everything in Harry Potter fanfiction, but this is new.
cloudscape chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
Offcourse Voldemort wanted Harry to learn to loose. You have to up the stakes when the other partly does it. And Voldemort clearly already believes that in a dominance fight with graduated-Harry he might get seriously injured. So teach the boy to keep the gloves on. When the time comes to take over the world the boy will know to negotiate a deal instead of fighting to the death. And that deal will include getting a good general ( Harry ) and his following ( Draco and all the rest the boy no doubt acuires in the next 7 years).

Let's hope, for Voldemort, Harry learned the original lesson 'humility'. Instead of the one Voldemort himself learned. 'Revence needs to be timed for optimal effect.'

Sad thing is, harry already knows to loose. In the sence of being able to negotiate instead of up the stake more.

He did this when talking to Dumbledore. He could have insisted about Snape leaving, he could have hired tutors. Harry was fine with hiring tutors for the sake of his own education ( it would probebly be better than staying at hogwards.) Than he realised that leaving hogwards would mean being disconnectec with the wizarding world, and thus not being able to learn to understand and influence it. And risking his change to bring the age of enlightement to the wizarding world , was - in the way I read your story - a stake Harry wasn't willing to take. So hew puts up with the mad headmaster, the evil potions professor and the defence teacher who is brilliant but smelly.

I hope Harry realises all this in the next chapter, when he can analyse the situation with a bit of distance and a well rested mind.

Thanks for writing,

Iris
SkittleKick chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
holy crap dude. this chapter threw me through the grinder. Bumping up down left right in some kind of strange elaborate combo for a arcade style fighter game. I certainly didn't foresee where you were taking this. Thanks for the brain-buster. :D
LockandLoad chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
Holey FCUK ! PossessedSensei!Squirrel's teaching Sun Tzu to Harry !

At this rate, Harry'll not graduate. He'll Graduate a Conqueror General !

Like, like... I don't know, Genghis ? Kubilai ? Caesar ? Alexander, maybe ?

And Quirrel's idea for Draco as Harry's General ? Priceless ! :D

If, PossessedSensei!Squirrel was really possessed by Ye-Oldy-Moldy-Voldy, by far this is the most scary depiction of Dark Lord Voldermort(dude, he even made THE Dark Lord List). Which seriously lacking the scary part in the canon.

BTW, like somebody else been point it out on the interwebz, 'being light does not mean you have to go Gandhi'. More often, a knife stab on the back in the dark can save more lives.

So maybe, to defeat an Evil Dark Lord, a Just Dark Lord is needed.
cheekylildevil chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
I'm sorry, but this story is going down hill now, it's all about him being evil or not, and that doesn't quite work for me. Also, you changed Quirrel too much, and I don't find myself liking him at all, at least with the original book we pitied him, here I'm sort of neutral, which is never good...

Indi
aeris chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
To me this was a mindblowing chapter. If Voldemort really is behind Quirrel's head, I no longer have any idea of what he might be thinking about, which is delightfully refreshing.
vighnngaigh chapter 19 . 5/8/2010
amazing story!

this is an intriguing, brilliant, well-written story that is the result of your uniquely convoluted thought process...presents some pretty damn good points, too;)

thank you, and please update soon!

-vighnngaigh3
Mac Ceallach chapter 19 . 5/8/2010
This was a very powerful chapter; the lesson was a valuable one that Harry needed to learn, although if the first version was particularly graphic I think I'm grateful for the changes. Although I kind of have to question Quirrell's motivation for arranging it. I now officially have no clue where you are going with Quirrell; I'd assumed that Voldemort was controlling him from afar and that he was a competent teacher mostly because Tom Riddle had wanted the DADA position and would have done well at it. But, either you are changing Quirrell and the possession, or you are changing Voldemort's character, or both, or neither and will take the story in another direction entirely. The uncertainty is refreshing in HP fandom. Thank you.

Also, I now desperately want either Harry or Quirrell to get their hands on the Evil Overlord list. Although, sadly, it wouldn't be written until several years after Philosopher's Stone supposedly takes place.
uo-chou chapter 19 . 5/8/2010
Excellent chapter. I wonder if Lucius is going to do anything about Harry haphazardly throwing his name about previously. I hope that Harry discovers an actual "power he knows not" eventually, I don't like the canon answer to that question. Excellent work with Quirrel's lesson. Keep up the excellent work and thanks for sharing!
23,758 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,344 1,351 1,352 1,353 1354 1,355 1,356 1,357 1,364 .. Last Next »