Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
asdf chapter 72 . 7/28/2011
epic ending:

I am preparing for the next war
Zoanzon chapter 21 . 7/28/2011
Mr. Eliezer Yudkowsky (I googled Bayesian Conspiracy and ended up at your Wikipedia page), you are a genius. I am entering high-school in less then a week, and you have helped make school look fun again, if not only so i can hopefully learn about what you talk about in your story. Good Luck with this story.
clpumm chapter 72 . 7/27/2011
Overall, the entire story is well conceived and executed. The presence of such a number of research-based illustrations enlighten the reader significantly. However, a significant number of run-on sentences throughout the fic made concentration difficult. Though run-on sentences can be and were used to convey certain themes and feelings to the reader, the excessive number led to confusion.
Tim chapter 18 . 7/27/2011
This has to be one of my most favorite parts of this fanfic so far. As someone who was bullied throughout grade school, I cheered for Harry during this entire reading. It really hit me where it counts, and thank you for doing so.

And in addendum, thank you for putting so much humor into the book. I've been laughing at least once per chapter.
Nick chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
I'm only through the first chapter, but I really like the idea so far. I'm excited to see where this goes. I'm not a fanfiction person, but I hope this will be the exception.
Uroborusvoid chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
Right lets see if I can explain this,

Your observation in the author's notes that "5 British pounds doesn't square with seven Galleons for a wand and children using hand-me-down wands"

Seems to be based on the assumption that 5 pounds has the same buying power as a Galleon, where as in fact its an exchange rate.

Now yes that is the purpose of an exchange rate, but when you start to take into account real world examples, such as the exchange rate for pounds into the currencies of 3rd world countries, and the poverty lines in those countries, it starts to not hold up as well.

For instance currently 5 British pound sterling will get you approximately 750 Kenyan Shillings.

The Average Daily wage for a Hotel worker in Kenya is equivalent to £3.60, or ~540 Shillings. This is just above the poverty line, as in they have a bit of money left over. but not much.

Now this shows that any British person who goes to Kenya, would effectively be able to live like a king, as Job seekers allowance in the UK is £60 a week (this is below minimum wage, as it is intended to support people while they find work) or 3 time the Kenyan Minimum wage!

What I'm Suggesting is that due to the implied nature, in the Harry Potter books, that there is little interaction between the respective Muggle and Wizarding economies, it is possible that currency convertion would work much the same as with the above British Kenya example.

Really the only way to compare the buying power of the two currencies is though the relative cost of items common to both economies, such as bread, or milk ect, however no such examples exist.

The Best examples I can think of is when the Weasley Twins set up their shop/Business on Diagon Alley with the start up capital of 1000 Galleons. Now Remember that this is a Shop on 'The Main High Street of Wizarding Britain' So equivalent terms would be setting up a shop in Oxford street in London (or other suitable high pedestrian traffic location) Now setting up a business is not my area of expertise, but in such a location, one could imagine start up costs to easily reach £50- £150K (conservative estimates. Now this Does Square with your assumption of 1 Galleon to £50. But not if you then take into account the different buying powers.

What I'm trying to say is that yes, maybe being able to buy a wand for £35 pounds doesn't justify people having to use hand-me-downs. Until you realize that maybe muggles are getting an exceptionally good deal. Maybe those 7 Galleons are the equivalent of two weeks wages(on minimum wage)to a wizard. The British/Kenya example demonstrates how in economies so different, one party's weekly wage, can have considerably more buying power than another party's

Now I'm not saying that Wizarding Britain is the same as a 3rd world country. but their system does seem very feudal, coins actually having the same physical value as their face value, is completely different to our system where the face value is abstractly applied via assurances from banks and the actually currency itself has no physical value!

All this being said, I'm sure that J. didn't put this much though into it, and probably just pulled numbers out of the air, but there are ways to explain the discrepancies this created, without having to rubbish the whole system and invent a new exchange rate.

So now I've said my piece, questioning your fundamental assumptions on this topic, I am in no way disparaging your logic, or your story.

I find it a very enjoyable story, a look at the illogical, rule breaking world of a magical world through logical eyes. With plenty of fun science thrown in. and indeed it does call up a lot of things that don't make sense.

Although why was Harry never surprised that there is a Hogwars Express train? I mean Hogwarts is nearly 1000 years old, so why would wizards use a muggle invention which has only been around for 150 years to transport its student? and what did they do before that? I mean surely it would have been easier if wizarding families were allowed to apparate their children direct to Hogsmead?

But all of this I just take as Rowling telling a Children's Story so it doesn't have to make sense, but it Should Damn it!

Any way Keep up the good work!
thechemicalbanana chapter 19 . 7/27/2011
I cried in this chapter, I really dont know why..

this is like the third time that I tried to finish read this story but there is so much complicated things that not even in spanish can undestand..

but well I really hope read the total fic, because so much reviews are saying something, i think..

Im very sorry for mistakes and congrats for such great story:D
Saelia chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
First of all, I absolutedly loved your story. It's without a doubt the cleverest, if not the most emotionally compelling fic I've ever read.

I only have two qualms about this story.

First off, and this is the big one, Hermione bothers me. She is too idealistic, self-centered, ignorant, and naive. Her rational and intelligence holds no wisdom, no creativity, and is exceedingly superficial. I just can't see why Harry would like her. She's like a machine with an obsession to be a do-gooder, with no thought to the human beings she is actually trying to help, only thinking of her gains from helping others. There is no emotional connection or admiration for her whatsoever. She falls flat next to brilliant, spontaneous Harry who is truly a conflicted genius, the ambitious, cunning, and deliciously conflicted Malfoy, and Quirrel's outrageously three dimensional characterization.

The other qualm I have with your story may be exactly what you intended, but while it is undeniably innovative and humorous, it doesn't hit home as hard as many other fics in terms of playing off reader's emotions. Maybe it was all the logic, but I only laughed and couodn't cry in this fic.
onefishonly chapter 28 . 7/27/2011
In the middle of this chapter, I finally signed up for to leave a review.

This fic is maybe the first that has really sucked me in. It's actually distracted me from a reread of the Song of Ice and Fire, one of my favorite series ever. I love what you're doing here and how you're doing it-thanks for all the thought and effort this must have taken.
RB chapter 5 . 7/27/2011
:D))) God that was good:

"He was in a situational context where those actions made internal sense -"
RB chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
In this chapter, Harry is scarier than Voldemort
RB chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
I am an intermittent reader of ff, and so far I love yours. Absolutely brilliant. Funnily enough, I came across it on the comments section of a blog I regularly read: greatbong dot net, on an article on agnosticism titled, the Question of Suffering. I thank the person who posted his comment for directing me to your story.
solsbane chapter 19 . 7/27/2011
I swear I read the genre as Drama/Humor.

But this chapter was pretty scary.

I haven't read enough to say where you're going with this plot, but I must say it looks SO promising.

Hope you'll update soon, and hope that I'll catch up to 72 before you do.
M chapter 5 . 7/27/2011
So very funny
M chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
Superb!
33,621 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,348 1,355 1,356 1,357 1358 1,359 1,360 1,361 1,368 .. Last Next »