Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Dumbledore Is Gay chapter 5 . 3/25/2011
Victory through superior brainpower!
Reader chapter 70 . 3/25/2011
I'm starting to think this fic has been abandoned. I hate it when authors leave a long story like this unresolved, so please update soon.
Just Awesome Like That chapter 43 . 3/24/2011
oh, no. you. didn't.

curse u.

i was GONNA go to sleep.

but now?

NO. WAY. IN. HELL.
Anonymity Suspect 386-21B chapter 70 . 3/24/2011
It took me two full days to read through the whole of this work, and I am very much pleased by what is an excellent example that the 10% of great fanfiction is worth sloughing through the other 90%. I look forward to your next installment.
ShineX chapter 24 . 3/24/2011
Nicely done :)
whalenotpetunias chapter 23 . 3/24/2011
How Draco feels in this chapter how I feel right now.

Stupid rationality.

Reading this fanfiction has caused me to look into Less Wrong and therefore question my religion.

This is bad.
Nick chapter 70 . 3/24/2011
Hope everything is alright with you. Haven't seen an update for a long time :(
Anonymous chapter 70 . 3/24/2011
Loved the chapter, hoping for a new one already!
VFR6 chapter 45 . 3/24/2011
What a badass boast near the end of the chapter! Sorry for reviewing this late and not at the start of the story, but with 11k reviews, this one review is quite insignificant isn't it?

Wow, in almost a year, and 70 chapters, you have 11k reviews, that is just beyond impossible, just to quote from tvtropes.

Anyway, I'll be marking this as a favourite and marked it for update notice. See ya!
anonymous chapter 6 . 3/23/2011
hmmm... Harry is getting progressively more manipulative; he's getting rather unlikable... and yet he's also somehow reminiscent of the Weasley twins. He gets very mischievous considering how rational, prudent, and pessimistic he considers himself to be. But I suppose if you were a really brilliant 10 year-old you would tend to mess with people. I liked the comparisons you made between Harry's behavior and that of a boy living under the stairs. Incidentally, adopted kids often respond, emotionally, in a way similar to abused children, even when they have spent most of their lives in loving homes- something to think about when considering why Harry reacts as he does (and I'm not just citing studies saying that: I have an adopted brother, and my mother runs a support group for good parents struggling with their kid's emotional difficulties stemming from adoption). I thought it might also be appropriate to reference Plato's metaphor of the cave when Harry talks about opening his eyes to the world around him after receiving his wand.
No Man chapter 3 . 3/23/2011
I'm loving smart Harry, and I particularly appreciate that you finally give McGonagall her chance to shine; she's one of the best characters in the HP series, but terribly underrated. Small note: I disliked that Harry resolves to call Voldemort "you know who." I realize that you are departing from Rowling's brave but rather irrational depiction of Harry, however I don't think that fearing the name Voldemort is particularly rational. Remember that Dumbledore, who is by all accounts a very rational man, also calls Voldemort by his real name (so does Hermione, eventually). I liked the substitution of books for broomsticks, being brought up as he was Harry certainly would have no fascination with sports. However if his Dad was still somewhat similar to canon James, then he might still be gifted at sports, despite his lack of interest in them. I'll be interested to see if you work that in.
DarkRavie chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
Caffeinated Star chapter 39 . 3/23/2011
So I've been reading. And I enjoy the story, even though sometimes the long extended explanations of science hurt my head because I've always disliked math and never really cared to learn the deep meanings of the universe through science. However, then I get to chapter 39. It's written wonderfully, as is most of the story, with a very complex plot.

I have quite a few problems with this chapter.

A) Dumbledore's character is even more completely out of character than it has been the whole entire storyline.

B) Some of Harry's reasoning seem to be off. Ex. "If people had souls there wouldn't be such thing as brain damage." Assuming there is a soul, the soul and the brain should be separate. They don't interfere. So you can have brain damage.

C) Science over love. Wow. Great morale here. Great. We're going to sacrifice everything - our friends, our family, potential friends, for knowledge. I don't know if you actually believe in this - in fact I sincerely doubt you do, and probably didn't mean for it to come across that way - but it's ridiculous. And not healthy. Without relationships, humans are nothing. Because without relationships there is frankly nothing worth living for. Except the knowledge. But there has to be a point where you reach your limit in knowledge. And that's where the other part comes in.

D) Harry seems to be making himself into a godlike creature. Sigh. Of course your Harry is completely OOC from cannon Harry because of his different circumstances. Still, you would think a scientist would realize you can't control the universe.

E) The whole immortality portion. OK, it's great to want everyone to live. But then you have a whole slew of problems: immortal dictators making people's lives terrible; overcrowding of the world; inability to make room for the new generation; inability to make those wonderful relationships because suddenly you realize they won't matter as much since life isn't short anymore. Selfishness brews.

I'm sure you've already gotten quite a few complaints. Actually, I know you did, but I need to put in my own opinion. I am going to continue reading, because, despite everything, it is rather well-plotted. And so, I bid you adieu.
Cantwait chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
Review

Yeah, I have the same problem. I wont even start doing anything if it's near that time, I'll just waste time from 9:45-10:20 (i'm on EST). I think an author's note would be nice as well, just to make it clear that this hasn't been forgotten or anything, but I'm holding out hope that the next chapter will be long, or followed closely by a few more.

On a side note, could avadakedavra be used to kill all of the bacteria in a sample of water to purify it? or to kill a virus without disturbing its structure so that it could be used in a vaccine?
Jay-F chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
This is an amazingly well constructed and consistent story. I Love the interactions between Harry, Hermione, and Draco. I really really hope that Quirell is actually Vodemort since that would pose a tremendous dilemma to Harry that I would love to see worked through. I am extremely impressed with how much you have managed to write in a year and hope you can maintain the same quality and quantity over the next year as well. I think my only true complaint is Dumbledore. I wish that he were less... stupid. I don’t mind him being wrong but he seems to have moments of true stupidity that I find unfortunate. Though I suppose it could be that he just does not care enough about some things to pay attention.

Thanks for writing,

Jay
32,132 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,348 1,355 1,356 1,357 1358 1,359 1,360 1,361 1,368 .. Last Next »