Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
crackwhpre chapter 16 . 7/11/2011
I love your story, but I have to point out that when a Demoentor is nearby it cast a spell so anyone near it can't Apparate or Disapperate. So one of Quirell's points is wrong...
Isa Knightwalker chapter 23 . 7/11/2011
I actually thought that JKR once said magic was a dominant trait (although obviously that doesn't make sense with there being so few wizards, so I agree that it's probably recessive since that would make more sense really). Although weird that Harry would conclude that based on a such a small sample, but I assume he thought that anyway and just wanted to convince Draco. I admit I was also hoping that Harry would use his father's Rock to somehow escape lol.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 22 . 7/11/2011
This chapter and Harry's personality in general kind of make me think he really doesn't like Hermione as a friend and instead is only using her, which is really really sad and I mostly just dislike Harry more. Although the later part was more interesting. But I don't get how Harry really can investigate that since they couldn't truly do tests with ancient wizards (or not enough for a good representative sample) or get real empirical evidence on the strength of magic themselves from the ancient times.

Plus I can't really understand why Harry would even consider what Draco says about how wizards were stronger in the old days since he is basing that statement on famous wizards when the famous wizards are the ones who would get remembered, plus he is only using 5 extraordinary individuals to represent all of wizardkind during those time periods? Kind of ridiculous.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 21 . 7/11/2011
I strongly think that note was from Sirius (although not sure how that would work; I thought maybe he was Quirrel in polyjuice or something, but that doesn't make sense with the message either). Hope it's him anyway! Also kind of weird how Harry is slowly creating his own secret group like the DE, although at least it isn't evil (yet).
Isa Knightwalker chapter 20 . 7/11/2011
Ah this chapter kind of makes me greatly dislike Harry, not exactly sure why (perhaps because he treats people badly in general I think, unlike his canon self which seems so good hearted deep down). The space obsession also seems a bit weird for Quirrel, but he is basically an entirely new character. I'm starting to wonder if it's really him (or what's going on exactly). I feel like Harry is treating Dumbledore similar to Snape, so sad.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 19 . 7/11/2011
Kind of weird, it doesn't really seem like that great of a lesson from a teacher. Also super weird that Goyle knew some muggle Martial Arts when he really doesn't seem to have those skills. But interesting chapter too.
Zazie chapter 6 . 7/11/2011
So borring and predictable! This fic sucks
Joel chapter 39 . 7/11/2011
I have decided to quit reading this story. I think you have an interesting writing style. However, mostly, its immature. Harry's little rants about the beauty of science (while originally entertaining and occasionally insightful) have become tiresome, ostentatious, and inaccurate. Your characters are just very one dimensional. Nobody is good at anything except for Harry; an eleven year old, self-proclaimed genius. I think the storyline has become old and the plot is so slow moving as to be insulting. I get it. Science is great. I think the key difference in why I think it is great and why you think it is great is that I think of science as the ultimate exercise in humility. You think of it as the ultimate authority of truth. There is a difference between these two viewpoints (though at first, it may seem like not). As a scientist, I find that the more I learn about Nature, the more I do not understand. That there is so much more to learn and that I cannot possibly hope to understand it all. Only a very little, insignificant bit. Your characters are completely obsessed with proving everyone else wrong and you right, even though this goes against what their dialogue says. Science is not about proving other people wrong. Rather, it is a commitment to learning. I have encountered a great deal of this arrogance in the scientific community and it is most unsatisfying. I love learning. I love discovering things that nobody else has before. But I cannot endorse this view of science that it is the only way to learn, know or understand something. It is the right way for me to do so, but I learn in a very linear fashion. To discredit other ways of learning is to show how little you understand everything else, outside of science. Sorry for the rant. I wish you the best of luck in your future writing endeavors, and in science. I hope that you come to understand how little about the world you (and me) actually understand.
Doctorpat chapter 64 . 7/11/2011
The matrix story: that's just beautiful. And short enough to memorize. Bravo!
David DeLaney chapter 7 . 7/10/2011
You have to love how the branchpoints keep splitting - McGonagall comes to get Harry instead of Hagrid doing it, so Hagrid recedes into the background for the whole year so far ... and that causes Harry to meet Hermione on the train instead of later, and is partly responsible for him having an ENTIRELY different interaction with Draco in Madame Malkin's store, leading to this chapter, and the start of the B.C. (and the start of Neville's extremely odd awesomeness, still unfolding).

Isa - "if they were still in the train station during the afternoon, how did Harry point to the moon?" ...I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The moon is visible during parts of the daytime for nearly all of each month; the only time it's NOT is right at full moon, when it's furthest away from the Sun in the sky.

Right now (July 11th) it's ... quick google ... close to full, about 3 days away from it, so it's rising a couple hours before sunset and setting a couple hours before sunrise. It would be fairly easy to see the moon in the afternoon sky around waxing half-moon, when it's halfway across the upper sky from the sun.
DetonatorNova chapter 72 . 7/10/2011
Fantastic as always. I've read the entire fic twice now and I anxiously await the next chapter. I know you can't rush genius, so I won't complain, but neither will I stop checking for a new chapter every day. I hope to see the story continued soon!
Isa Knightwalker chapter 18 . 7/10/2011
Interesting chapter! I feel like Harry can be brash and immature at times, but I like that because I think it reflects his canon personality very well since he has those moments there too. Can't wait to see Snape being nice-ish (or at least not mean).
Isa Knightwalker chapter 17 . 7/10/2011
omg Dumbledore's so crazy. I was literally laughing the entire time for the Rock part, that was just hilarious. I have no clue why he had the rock. The potions book thing was pretty creepy though.

Although I'm so glad that you aren't basically turning Dumbledore into a second Voldemort (as a lot of wise/slightlydark!Harry fanfics tend to portray him as in my experience). This chapter has probably been my favorite since the one with Draco and Harry's in the story haha (which was chapter 5 I think).
Isa Knightwalker chapter 16 . 7/10/2011
Quirrel confuses me so much, not sure if he is really evil or not. Interesting chapter though!
Megan McAlistair chapter 7 . 7/10/2011
Conscientiousness...

you use so many big words and I have to look them all up because I'm German!

I know them in German but not in English...

I won't bother looking for a translated version though, I want the raw original

the story's still a lot of fun though
33,432 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,349 1,356 1,357 1,358 1359 1,360 1,361 1,362 1,369 .. Last Next »