Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Jay Schweikert chapter 45 . 3/23/2011
I've loved every chapter of your story, but this chapter just completely blew my mind. When I finished it, I had to just sit and let is process for several minutes, it was so overwhelming. I've finished through chapter 70 at this point, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store. I've also been sending this around to all of my friends who might be interested. Thanks so much for this incredible work.
Jonathan Graehl chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
I'm generally a fan. This chapter seems to fall into the trap of "plucky young hero(ine) has plucky dreams, with the loving approval of wise ancients". There's a lot of talking about things that are supposed to be significant. We're supposed to care because we see that the adults care. It's warm-hearted rather than obnoxious, but I hope we don't luxuriate in it too much without actually seeing some meaningful conflict or sacrifice.
Marc Coram chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
This... This is AWESOME. I've only read the first page, but that was great! It's great on many levels. Let's see: there's the amusement of its relationship to HP which juxtaposes it against pleasant mindlessness (I enjoyed HP), then there's the reference to Feynman (always a plus), but the way it so sharply embodies/caricature intellectualism and emotionalism and emboldens Harry Potter of all people to defend HONEST empiricism, gives the expected shame and then the unexpected spark of scientific discovery on the making. That's just AWESOME.
The Karlminion chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
You know, for a while it wasn't very funny and I didn't get most of it. But then I read this, and it was funny again and I think I got it.

I should also confess that I learn through humor best; if it's not funny I don't recall it very well.

Review chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
I, on the other hand, do not feel bad in the slightest for complaining about lack of updates.

There is a particular danger of absorbing content for free online, and that is the growth of a feeling of entitlement. Because your work on your book is, minute for minute, more likely to demonstrably return monetary value, it is reasonable to focus your attention on that project. The actual work of coding an AI is also, depending on one's estimation of the probability of your success, a worthy goal. However, radical shifts in lifestyle and distribution of power among intelligent agents like the Singularity you expect to cause (or at least catalyze) via FAI are notoriously difficult to predict. The most common timetable I've seen for the Singularity is "if we're lucky, in our lifetime."

In the mean time, you've got a third public project on which to work, which has gained some mainstream recognition. Not all of your readers are futurists, let alone Singularitarians. Leaving MoR unfinished would offer a negative point for the "impression of rationality" column in their minds. This is a problem if you widen the scope of your work beyond "coding AI" to "improving the world."

Leaving this fic undisturbed for the same length of time as your hiatus is damaging to the reputation of rationality itself. Even an author's note suggesting that there will not be an update for another two weeks would be considerate; as it is, I check MoR every night at 7:05, 7:15 and 7:20 Pacific time, just in case your update is a little off the hour mark.

Even if you can't offer content, some sort of update would be the professional thing to do, especially since you've taken the position of "Champion of Rationality."
Almaseti chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
It's okay that Tracey didn't do the insane laughter. I did it for her.
CantWait chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
Ugh, every time I get annoyed about the lack of an update I feel terrible for hoping you're spending time writing and not trying to save the world. One good thing about these gaps is that i've finally dived head first into the sequences. I'm really loving them and the whole Less Wrong community, and I'm hoping to join the NYC Less Wrong Community when I go to college in a year and a half (crossing my fingers for columbia). I think you should include a link in your author's notes to your other fiction. I've only read Sword of Good but I actually really liked it, despite how much story space was left out and how not-happy the ending was. Oh yeah, this is a review, so um, this story is awesome and I can't wait until the story refocuses on Harry.
Phoenixstar117 chapter 5 . 3/22/2011
I have never laughed so hard ever when reading fanfiction. This is PURE HUMOR! I LOVE IT. I'm afraid that most of what I write(haven't published any yet) and read is very angsty. Maybe laughing a bit here will help me. This work is genius.
Mar17swgirl chapter 68 . 3/22/2011
Ummm, this is a minor thing, but the symbol of Ravenclaw is NOT a raven, but an eagle. ;)
Mute chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
Read the whole shebang - awesome!
admiralskippy chapter 14 . 3/22/2011
What do we want? UPDATE! When do we want it? 7PM Pacific time as soon as you can mangage without UFAI destroying the world!

Multipartite chapter 63 . 3/21/2011
Rereading this chapter, I wonder if Lestrange will at some point be gifted with (/a title reference to) a book on Occlumency explaining what non-painful reason there might be for being unable to admit to something in the presence of a non-Occlumens... ('I didn't do it, but even if had here's why you'd be making a grievous misunderstanding, and since I didn't do it you're making two grievous misunderstandings instead of one'...) *happiness; as with others, looks forward to future updates (though worries about possible negative effects of pressure or otherwise)*
The Karlminion chapter 45 . 3/21/2011
That was awesome. That sort of feeling Harry had when he killed Death is what makes man awesome, is what makes us the undisputed badasses of the universe. That we're even capable of it, even vicariously... Awesome.

The Karlminion chapter 36 . 3/21/2011
"Hey! No kissing!"

That made my day. Thank you sir.

Grollo chapter 43 . 3/21/2011
"And the Dementor smashed into his mind like the fist of God."

Best line ever.
32,132 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,349 1,356 1,357 1,358 1359 1,360 1,361 1,362 1,369 .. Last Next »