Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
mitremlap chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
great chapter, thank you
Raemon777 chapter 5 . 2/13/2011
I would like to see a version of MoR that's more geared towards younger kids. But the problem isn't the reference to rape. The entire story is more complex and adult than most kids are ready for. I think by the time kids are old enough to read and enjoy this story, they're probably also old enough to deal with the darker material.
Graham Percival chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
Almost[1] an incredibly good story! It's definitely the best fiction I've read in years. It's a shame that it (likely) won't ever be in print, because I would *love* to read it to my children. If I ever have children. If I ever have a wife.

[1] two quibbles: first, I find that the quality of writing is a bit inconsistent. The beginning is very strong, and most of the later chapters are very good - but some arc seem to drag a bit. I though that the underwater battle and Azkaban stuff was a bit chaotic and dreary. Admittedly, this may have been intentional (Azkaban *should* be dreary!), but I found myself thinking that a second edit could improve the story's "flow" a lot more. This isn't a personal criticism - there are very few things that we can't improve with an n1th draft!

Second quibble, and the reason that I'd hesitate to read it to my hypothetical children when they were under, say, 8 years old, is that there's brief flashes of much darker material. You've given the "trigger warnings" on your webpage (the idea of nonconsensual sex and first-person bullying), so I'm not quibbling with that. I'm just wondering if it was worth considering rewriting those bits in a hypothetical "n1th draft". Maybe Draco could casually talk about "pushing Luna down the stairs", rather than rape?

I'm not objecting to dark material in general; it's just that those two scenes struck me as much darker than the rest of the story. It may be a disappointing facet of human irrationality, but the plight of (relatively) unknown persons in Azkaban barely registered at all, whereas I found the first-person account of the beating of Harry quite disturbing.

Alternatively, have you considered writing children's stories? In one of the comments in the Sequences blog posts, somebody suggested that the Hardy Boys might be considered "rationalist children's books" - I'm imagining something like that, or a detective novel in which the hero solves crimes via actual reasoning rather than ad-hoc observations and intuitive leaps (a la Sherlock Holmes).

Overall, I consider the notion of "rationalist fiction" to be completely brilliant, and really wish that we had more of it. The reason I'm focusing on young children is that I expect (although I haven't done a psychology literature search yet) that children's minds would be more amenable to change. I certainly believe that I'd be a different person if I'd spent my childhood reading illustrative stories about rationality, rather than only fantasy novels!
Amoz chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
Hola, mi actual ingles no es muy bueno, espero que no te moleste que te escriba en español. Pensando cosas random, se me ocurrieron ideas para tu fic, algo parecido a lo que hiciste con el hechizo wingardium leviosa, en el que harry logro acelerar la pluma, se me ocurrio que con aguamenti puede aumentar la presión del agua y usarlo como una sierra de agua (son las que se usan para cortar cuerpos ya que no dejan marcas como el laser) y tambien puede pasar lo mismo con lumos, cambiar la dirección de los fotones para que se dirijan en un rayo continuo y crear un laser.

espero que me hayas entendido XD y que te hayan gustado las ideas.

Saludos
The Lonely Ant chapter 26 . 2/13/2011
Oh my god, Quirrell killed Rita Skeeter.
lilahri chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
Wow. This story is incredible. I am now greatly deprived of sleep.

Great job! Keep up the fantastic work!

~lilah
Kasanra chapter 5 . 2/13/2011
This chapter is HILARIOUS! I laughed so hard my mom came to check on me. I still laugh and I forgot how many times I've read this. AWESOME!
surya3dcd chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
Well, hopfully this isn't all there is. What an enjoyable adaptation of an already very well done story.

You've woven so many hooks into this and expanded characters that JK only gave lipservice to, that I can't put the book down. Please continue.
Emerauldessence chapter 19 . 2/13/2011
It seems the dojo master was of the do as I say, not as I do school of thought. If humility was such an important lesson to him, then why did he trade the lives of all his pupils for his pride?

My objections to this chapter is a matter of personal opinion rather than constructive criticism. Im afraid I have difficulty imagining appreciating anyone who would expose me at my weakest to everyone as if they have that right. If someone had a problem with me, I expect them to talk to me and me alone. Anyone who refuses to do that doesnt have the right to be my teacher because they obviously value their own ego over my growth.
The Lonely Ant chapter 17 . 2/13/2011
It seems that every time I glance down, another hour or so has passed and I have no idea why. Also, it's now 2:30 am, and I usually like to be in bed by no later than 12:30, even on a weekend, which this is, and only a really good story can keep me up this late and I've been so listless without a good story so Thank You for writing this.
The Lonely Ant chapter 5 . 2/12/2011
And where exactly are the quotes at the beginning of the chapters coming from? They are always cool, but this one is especially funny.
The Lonely Ant chapter 4 . 2/12/2011
Another favorite of mine, someone actually making sense of the economy. I can't think of the word to describe how I liked it, but I was reading the dialogue out loud, and laughing aloud, both of which are indicative of liking something quite a bit with me. (And I'm starting to talk like the characters, also something I do when reading something I like.)
The Lonely Ant chapter 3 . 2/12/2011
And this is, I think, the first time I've read about Harry being actually scared of Voldemort (including canon). I guess McGonagall explains it better than Hagrid?
The Lonely Ant chapter 2 . 2/12/2011
Oh wow, I love this story! Only the second chapter, and I couldn't stop laughing! And an intelligent, inquisitive Harry is always a good thing.
oconnor663 chapter 47 . 2/12/2011
"...the gold and blood sacrifices he [Grindelwald] was getting from his Muggle pawns..."

Is this a reference to the Shoah? If so, I'm curious about your implications. It's understood that Grindelwald is somehow behind the events of WWII. But beyond pulling strings to start the war, which we might take for granted from his character in his context, you're also (in my view, unnecessarily) implying that Grindelwald organized the Shoah in particular, because it strengthened him in some way.

This reminds me of a quote from Chaos!Neville about Bellatrix Black:

"She had a reason for doing that [killing Neville's parents], and my parents were both Aurors! It's not even close to the worst thing she's ever done!"

Let's call Neville's categories Evil Type 1 ("We get it, but still evil") and Evil Type 2 ("Seriously what the fuck?"). You can get some extra evil mileage for Grindelwald by saying he caused the Shoah, but he's still a Type 1 bad guy, so you give him a reason. The Shoah, though, is the quintessential Type 2 event in living memory, and if we change that, we erase something important.

Incidentally, I'm curious what will become of Voldemort in this fic. In canon we never get to know Voldemort in any sort of human way. He's bad from the beginning, just a machine for making evil choices, totally Type 2. But if you've lead us to expect anything at all, it's that rational!Voldemort will have very strong reasons for the choices he makes. That's already a big step towards Type 1. And if you keep going right past it, eventually he's not evil at all, and then what will we do? :)
31,544 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,350 1,357 1,358 1,359 1360 1,361 1,362 1,363 1,370 .. Last Next »