Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
layafel chapter 69 . 2/12/2011
This is some pretty awesome stuff. The levels of hilarity ensuing are insane. Merlin says keep up the good work.
braindoll chapter 21 . 2/12/2011
I know you don't want frivolous reviews, but I'm annoyed at the people who are pressuring you for updates. So in order to help push those reviews off the front page, I picked a quantumly random unreviewed chapter, re-read it, and here's my review. For those who posted the nagging reviews: if you hadn't done that, I could have found better things to do with my time, so please stop.

Ch. 21 has Granger winning the bet and getting the date as a forfeit; the initial planning meaning of the Bayesian Conspiracy; Santa Claus's second letter, warning of legilimency; the interrupted prophecy; and the chapter closes with Harry's letter-home-after-the-first-week.

-It's interesting to go back and read these earlier chapters now. In the later chapters, the focus is so much on thinking five moves ahead, that the spontenaiety of these earlier chapters can seem naive. For instance, when Draco realizes that talking about the Dark Mark might be a bad idea and wants to change the subject, he says in italics "Forget I said anything" - and Harry actually does. It's hard to find the right balance here; if you were writing about a game of go, would you want to include dramatic captures, or show a more realistic game where the players see the drama coming and side-step it?

-I did notice that the verb tenses go funny right after the prophecy:

"HE IS COMING," said a huge hollow voice that cut through all conversation like a sword of ice [would such a sword really cut well? I suppose it would work for diaphenous things like conversations, and it would be dramatic]. "THE ONE WHO WILL TEAR APART THE VERY -"

Dumbledore had leapt out of his throne and run straight over the Head Table and seized hold of the woman speaking those awful words, Fawkes had appeared in a flash, and all three of them vanished in a crack of fire.

There was a shocked pause...

If you are trying to use those tenses to show that Dumbledore was done acting before anyone else even realized what was happening, then you should clue us into that. "Before anyone else could react, Dumbledore had..."

-Looking at my two notes above reminds me that I like the general contrast in this chapter between Kids Being Dramatic (Hermione, Harry, Draco) and the much more matter-of-fact real-world drama (Santa Claus, Dumbledore). I especially like that the chapter closes with Harry being a grown-up in keeping the drama from his parents; it's a believable and sympathetic way of bringing together the two aspects of the chapter.
Arun from India chapter 1 . 2/12/2011
Dude! Please update soon
GeeJo chapter 26 . 2/12/2011
My personal solution would be to memory charm Rita Skeeter into *believing* she had seen all the evidence. This explains how all of the material was "magically" transformed back after the prank was completed - it never changed in the first place. To everyone but Skeeter, it would appear that she had made the whole thing up for some inexplicable reason.
Jonathan chapter 5 . 2/12/2011
This is blooody HILARIOUSLY EPIC!
ilikebluepineapples chapter 69 . 2/12/2011
So I know that we aren't supposed to pester...

...but come on! It's been two weeks!
jkulibert2 chapter 4 . 2/11/2011
Compared to how many chapters you have typed here, I haven't even pinched the pile yet, but I am enjoying the read! I hadn't ever thought of approaching things here as you did. It's fantastic. I was led here on a friend reccomendation, and I am enjoying reading this even if my need for sleep makes me stop when I've only just started reading.
WiseBrainPotterPalInCamelot101 chapter 69 . 2/11/2011
You my friend, write one frickin' epic story I have to say.

Great job and please update soon! I need some laughs to balance out my homework sadness!
Zeebs chapter 26 . 2/11/2011
I figured out how they did it. They used Polyjuice potion and pretended to be Rita Skeeter, then fooled the rest of the staff of the newspaper into believing them. That's a *lot* easier.
mucoid-deposit chapter 69 . 2/11/2011
I read the whole thing and then made a account just so I could review this.

I love it. It's wonderful and it should be compulsory reading for all humans.

That said, I'm a little annoyed by Harry's steadfast refusal to drop the Quirrellmort idiot ball. Quirrell:

1. Freed Bellatrix from Azkaban

2. Tried to kill an innocent Auror

3. Has magic that reacts badly to Harry's magic (since 'love magic' has not been explained in the story yet, all harry knows is that Voldemort's magic reacted badly to him as well)

4. Is a Parselmouth

None of these things is conclusive evidence of Quirrell having something to do with Voldemort, but it would be nice if Harry would CONSIDER THE POSSIBILITY. For someone who is so objective in his assessments that he isn't fooled by the Dementor illusions of having a physical body, Harry is engaging in an irritating amount of hero-worship.

Oh, and the thing about Hagrid not being useful: A half-giant skilled in handling powerful magical creatures? Harry generally thinks stupid people are worthless, but has given other idiots a chance (like Neville) and Hagrid would appear more useful on the surface than Neville did. Is Harry just being a dick in this situation, or did I miss something?
Dain chapter 69 . 2/11/2011
SPHEW got me thinking about sexism in HP. For all its faults, the wizarding world seems to actually have achieved near-gender-equality. Especially in government. We know of several women in all positions, be it ministers, Wizengamot delegates, department heads, Aurors, etc. In named characters, it is a near equal mix of male/female.

Well, OK, the known Dark Lords/Heroes/Ancient Wise Wizards of the 20th century seem indeed to be traditionally male. So Hermione might have a point there.
Foster chapter 2 . 2/10/2011
Well done.
YES chapter 2 . 2/10/2011
Good so far, I'm definitely going to keep reading.
Towla chapter 69 . 2/10/2011
Thanks for an awesome read. I have read the existing chapters twice now. I will now turn to the Sequences until you find the time to put some more up. Thanks again and keep up the great work.
John K chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
I have really enjoyed this fic and hope that it continues.
31,543 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,351 1,358 1,359 1,360 1361 1,362 1,363 1,364 1,371 .. Last Next »