Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
WB chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Despite his skills as a rationalist, Harry is still an eleven year old boy who has just been fairly traumatized. Too much has been asked of him this day (Minerva doesn't know the half of it). It's entirely human that emotions would get the better of him, that his internal inner observer would not operate at peak performance. A "normal" child would be a right mess.

No constructive criticism from me as yet, but the month-long hiatus will probably compel me to go back and reread (and review) the story.
Peanuckle chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
I think your use of the Patronus as a kind of Ultimate Good is a fantastic literary device. The wizarding world is a gray place at best, and entities of pure goodness should rightfully be angry at it.

Whenever you plan to do it, I eagerly await the chapter where Harry destroys Azkaban and the dementors. With or without the government's sanction.
Work Designer chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Beautiful, beautiful chapter.

Random thoughts

Nice resolution to Harry's dilemma, Bulstrode is a girl clearly in love with sickels more than her sleep schedule.

Harry, Poor boy, holed up in hogwarts until the age of 17. I do wonder what Michael would do in or near hogwarts, he can't even see magic stuff. Wonder if there were some kind of magic sunglasses he could wear that would show him around.

Dumbledore might have burnt Narcissa. The chances have increased since this conversation. This leaves Harry very little choice.

I honestly wonder what is left to wind up before your break. But knowing your writing for the last 61 chapters, there will be something. Please have Hermione or Draco do something in the last chapter.
Rosa Mundi chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Wow. Just... wow. That was intense. And there's still a chapter to go? I am a very happy reader.
Lady of the Hunt chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Wow. Powerful chapter.
guardian00X chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
At this point it's probably pointless to repeat that I like the story.

I wonder what it was that changed Dumbledore from the original story to the MoR version? The O-Dumbledore seemed to think that to hecome a hero one would need to test himself, go on a journey, a quest, and grow stronger from it (O-D let Harry get into all kinds of situations and gave the final quest of finding the hollows - damn, now i have a mental image of Dumbledore with a golden exclamation mark over his head (questgiver)). MoR-Dumbledore seems to think that the journey to become a hero is not needed and Harry is a hero because a prophecy has said he is and all he needs is to learn more magic (hmm, would Frodo have had the strenght to get as far as he did without the journey to Rivendell?).

Btw, Fawkes is awesome.
chibiaries chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Ouch.

This chapter just hurt, like a punch to the gut. But in a good way. My mind is utterly stunned by all the emotional and ethical ramifications from this chapter, so it was really really really well done.

chibiaries
fontgoddess chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
"'And it is possible to oppose the will of your fellows openly or in secret, without hating them, without declaring them evil and enemy!'"

This might be one of the most important things you've said in the whole story.

This may be one of the most important things to say in any story nowadays.

This is exactly the counterpoint we needed to Quirrel's cynicism regarding human/wizard cruelty, and exactly the character we needed to hear it from.

This chapter did a really good job of dealing with some of the sorrow and tension created in this sequence without resolving so much that the story loses momentum. Thank you so much for giving us some lighter moments inside McGonagall's head, Snape's snark, and a more human face on Dumbledore. Thank you also for making Dumbledore a good tactician (better than cannon!Dumbledore and Gandalf!). I am now wondering about the rationalist!LotR…

And hells yeah to The Dark is Rising reference.
shamerella chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
When I first discovered your fan-fiction you were up to chapter 50, I downloaded the ~800 page pdf and read it in a day. From the beginning it was good, all the rationality business was beautiful and so unfortunately absent in practically anything I've read before! I feel enlightened after every chapter, but also intensely curious! Your chapters leave me contemplating the implications for hours. There is so much mystery to the story too, I love how it hasn't been revealed for sure that whether Quirrell is You-Know-Who. You have a command of writing that keeps my attention similarly to Orson Scott Card. There is so much more to this story than the base that J.K. Rowling provides. Your Harry is very well crafted, you create a powerful protagonist who the reader can still empathize with! In contrast to the Wastelands of Time fanfic you recommended whose characters made me feel frantic and frenzied by the time I finished it, your characters are balanced and pleasant the entire time. All I can say is, I love it! You have a real talent for character development! You should absolutely write your own fiction! Never Stop!
Math and Chaos chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
So... is Professor Quirrell going to finish the sentence he started at the end of chapter 60 anytime soon?

I tried to come up with elaborate Chaos-style plots by which Harry could single-handedly get the message back in time. Trust Quirrell for the much simpler Sunshine-style solution : pay attention to what other people can do, and get them to help you. Although it sounded less coldly Machiavellian when Hermione was doing it.

I'll point out that, had McGonagall called Harry in at 10PM rather than 9PM, Harry's wait in the classroom from 3-3:30 would have been wasted. But I suppose 9PM's the more natural time; Harry at 10PM could claim he'd already used his time-turner for the night.

Actually... so could Harry at 9PM. Depending on how closely his actions prior to then are known.

In any case, passing the test through clever trickery is more effective than trying to convince someone that you can't take the test, but you're innocent anyway.
Jonathan Schattke chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
A wondrous finale to a sequence of chapters with great drama.

Wheels within wheels, and Harry gets to be noble.
I owe you feedback chapter 8 . 11/27/2010
...but I can't stop reading long enough to write it.

Your writing is wonderful.

Gratefully,

Mickey.
Momonster chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
*mind is so blown it reselmbles the remains of a man shot in thehead with a shot gun*

...this...is what i get...for reading /62/ chapters...in less than twelve to fourteen hours...and be tired while doing it...*rubs forehead* you get a break so do i. :3
nachtdemon chapter 8 . 11/27/2010
I doubt if you can keep up this level of brain-crack writing my head will make it till the end of the story. But congrats from all asperine making company's in the world.
badkidoh chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Another great chapter.
29,974 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,351 1,358 1,359 1,360 1361 1,362 1,363 1,364 1,371 .. Last Next »