Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Melissa Trible chapter 70 . 3/13/2011
I just wanted to say that I love this story to little squishy pieces. I just finished re-reading to this point...
Adele365 chapter 22 . 3/12/2011
So far, this is incredible: Harry Potter for the reader with brain cells! I have the rest so far copied to read on an airplane tomorrow, and I cannot wait to read more. I can see already why your fic is so popular, and my friend who referred this to me assures me it only gets better. I will review again once I get caught up, but I had to pass on my kudos now.
Random chapter 5 . 3/12/2011
This is hilarious.

There are no other words to describe it.
sweetcrimefighter chapter 5 . 3/12/2011
I'm laughing and crying like crazy, this is hilarious! And how the effin' hell are you so smart to write this? This is without a doubt the best read I've ever had in my life!
Me chapter 70 . 3/12/2011
Waiting for an update to this awesome story
Another grateful outcast chapter 63 . 3/12/2011
I got about halfway through this chapter before the need to respond outbid the need to KEEP READING AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I could list all the shockingly well-done aspects of this story, from twists to character development to dialogue, humor and touching social and moral commentary, but I'll stick with the less common response for my first:

Thank you so much for writing this story. Intelligent fiction- especially rationalist fiction- seems very much at odds with the mindless commercial fluff that dominates my country's genre listings. It's profoundly comforting to read about characters and ADMIRE them for a change instead of trying to will oneself not to commit sacrilege by tossing yet ANOTHER idiot book against the wall. Seeing myself in a protagonist, having TRUST in the author to tell an engaging and delightful story, are things I find only on very rare occasion.

Your Harry is a joy. Your characters are fascinating. You take what bothered me about the Potter books and . . . well, fixed it. You take what was good about that series and made it so much deeper and more powerful. The scene where Harry flies a rocket out of Azkaban had me cheering. And when he realizes that he's won the sad loyalty of "LL", his response along the lines of "Yay, we completed a quest and earned a minion!" had me laughing out loud.

One of my favorite lines from him is his response regarding Muggle homophobia: "Only the dumb ones", because that manages to sums up an entire socio-political controversy in four childish but remarkably succinct words. It's not a superficial insult, it's a full analysis which carries pages and pages of unspoken explanation and thoughtful argument.

And I will always remember "the most dangerous student" scene.

Bravo.
Daygruk chapter 2 . 3/12/2011
OMG! The mental pictures evoked by Professor M's last paragraph had me laughing loud enough to wake the neighbors. The plague of flaming zebras is going to be my new personal phrase for anything horrible. Thanks, can't wait to read more of this lovely story.
mcdowellhu chapter 70 . 3/12/2011
Great story! Thanks!
katerad4 chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
Oh goodness, this is going to become quite addicting isn't it...
logan chapter 18 . 3/11/2011
You know, I have some mixed feelings here. I started reading this story very impressed by a fresh approach to retelling the Harry Potter Story and a well done divergence from cannon "what would have happened if Petunia wasn't jealous of her sister." You impressed me further with some of the earlier touches like how one, using Muggle economics and the scientific method, could revolutionize a fabulous, but fabulously backwards society like that which we are shown of the magical community.

You had some very clever ideas and obviously are either well researched or very well educated yourself. I especially liked how you treated the Harry and Draco relationship, and how you've interestingly used a lust for power as the method by which Draco could be redeemed of his slightly less socially acceptable traits. The part with the text book and the photo of the earth from space was a little moving for me and as I said before, it was a very clever new direction. There are other elements I have thoroughly enjoyed and so please take no offense to the forthcoming issues I have. I hope you take the criticism as constructive as that is as I meant it and truthfully if I didn't see so many things I liked I wouldn't have taken the time to voice the problems I have.

Well first and far from foremost is the minor literary sin of letting the plot steer the characters as opposed to the other way around. For example, I thought the sleep disorder was a little out of left field but then you introduced the time turner which i suspect (I am only on chapter 19) is the reasoning behind the sleep disorder. If there is no deeper reasoning behind the disorder than the time turner then that was fairly poor writing just for the sake of adding a gimmick by which Harry can later be clever and appear to be able to conjure with a snap of the fingers. If I am mistaken, then I apologize for speaking without all the facts of course. Either way it isn't a ship sinking offense.

The next issue is how you are writing your geniuses as of late. The more we see Harry and recently Dumbledore the more it seems like you are falling into the odd quirk of writing genius as less eccentric and more insane. I know a few people who would be called geniuses in certain fields and yes, in some telling ways they are a little off, but you've been writing them so far over the cookoo's nest these last few chapters that it's starting to cross my eyes as I read it. I do know that this story is partially listed as humor but it's starting to clash pretty epically with the previously established tone and take me out of the story.

My Final and most serious issue with this story is Harry Himself. I know you foreshadowed that harry was a little ADD with the whole biting joke but my God, I've fantasized about smacking the crap out of him more than five times in this story. I realize that many children with savant(not sure that Harry would absolutely qualify here as he seems pretty competent in a lot of areas) talent get a bit bratty and egocentric, but by having him righteously blackmail McGonagall in the beginning and then threaten everyone from Dumbledore to Hogwarts itself if his demand that Snape be fired is not met has made your main character unsympathetic which is a hard trick to pull off in a story unless you're either Dickens or your character is named Scarlett. But Fine, Harry is egocentric and has not yet learned even a smidgen of humility, that's your call and in theory could be part of a greater arc that I simply do not yet see. Heck for all I know having him be an ass is prt of the greater conflict over whether or not he goes darkside or not. Guess we'll wait and see.

However the final straw is that after he orders around wizards considerably more than decades his senior, he gets pretty close to his way. That is where suspension of disbelief snapped like a piano wire for me. Assuming that Dumbledore is not unironically insane and that the other teachers are not so impotent that they could miss out on the fact that a student of 11 just threatened faculty, had a tantrum and proceeded to lecture them, there is no way they could allow it for the fact that the precedence it creates undermines any authority they could ever hope to have with students again. I can believe a lot, but I could not believe that for virtue of Harry potter being the "hero" of both the world and the story he gets to come out of that in any way other than with his ass handed to him as possible. Sorry if that sounded cruel, but by this chapter I am not really rooting for the hero and really having a hard time believing the story.

Aside from those areas I do feel this story has a lot of potential. If for nothing other than the fact that it is clever in premise and has some legitimately good moments of storytelling. I know that the issues I had are past where you are at now and that it won't be retconned in any way. But as I said before, I felt this story was good enough for honest critique.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Logan
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWQYZ1234 chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
I've passes this story in peoples favourites for a while and I just decided to read it. good job! I'm going to read the next chapter now ;)
alchymie chapter 70 . 3/11/2011
I can't help contrasting Hermione's current "Don't tell me I'm only twelve, I'm going to be a hero and you can't stop me!" attitude with her previous "We can't experiment with Transfiguration, we're only twelve" and "I'm sorry, Fawkes, I haven't saved anyone yet, I'm only twelve" attitudes, from previous chapters. If this is some sort of epiphany or transformation in Hermione's character, I think it should be remarked on - by Harry, if no one else.
darksoulsaddicted chapter 6 . 3/10/2011
"Death Eater Eaters"
ev chapter 20 . 3/10/2011
"You could be the best of all my students! The greatest fighting wizard to come out of Hogwarts in five decades! I cannot picture you wasting your days in a white lab coat doing pointless things to rats!"

I'm rereading the story and finding all the places Voldemort is referred to. While waiting for new episodes, might as well gather all the hints!
Smeepalicious chapter 70 . 3/10/2011
... Reblogging this now.

And reading all the Sequences.

And quite possibly altering my entire outlook on life.

Because of a *fanfiction*

Are you sure you're not Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres in disguise? Because my life just got a lot more surreal.
32,127 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,353 1,360 1,361 1,362 1363 1,364 1,365 1,366 1,373 .. Last Next »