Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Iron Monkey Fist chapter 30 . 4/15/2011
I was thoroughly enjoying this story until a few chapters ago as Hermoine proved to be such a Mary Sue her whole character was obnoxious. This chapter in fact completely ruined her character as well as ruined the whole game.
jphaas chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
Just discovered this a couple days ago... and I'm already on chapter 71 eagerly waiting for more.

Thank you! This is really awesome. It's one of the most intelligent, thought-provoking things I've read for a while, and it's also just outright hilarious, and a fun story, all at once.

In terms of constructive criticism, the only thing that really rubbed me the wrong way was the portrayal of Dumbledore's position on death, which was dismissed as "sounding wise" but really unreflective nonsense. I think that's an unfair caricature of the belief that the finiteness of life gives life significance. It's a hard belief to defend because when you start asking about the value of life, you start entering realms where you can't really prove anything and have to take premises on faith, but I think it's equally hard to defend Harry's belief that more life more good. If you trivially extend Harry's thinking, he should really see it as a TRAGEDY that vegetables aren't sentient (all those missed opportunities for further consciousness), and he has a moral obligation to start having babies as soon as possible to extend the amount of life in the universe.

Honestly, I don't really know what I think about this question, and selfishly, if someone offered me an extra couple hundred years of life I would definitely say yes, but I think it's a genuinely hard question that deserves more than condescension.

I'm also a little bored by the SPHEW thing, watching 12 year olds actually act like 12 year olds isn't much fun.

But those are two minor nitpicks in an overall package of awesomeness!
Caitrona chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
First of all, thank you for this story. I've reread it around 7 times at this stage and it is still making me giggle and tear up in the right places. I really don't have anything constructive to say. I'm just reviewing to let you know that while we're all impaitient for the next the chapter, it's okay if you need to take a break from it! You've done such amazing work so far and it would be awful if our entertainment came as a result of something that has become tedious to you. We're fans, we're dedicated, we will wait.

(actually, that last line seems kinda scary, sorry about that.)
Ocean Starfly chapter 19 . 4/15/2011
This is the best chapter so far. Hogwarts seems more like a regular American school in this 'verse (I don't know how much it's like a British school). This story, and particularly this chapter, is turning out to focus more on Harry's life in Hogwarts than his hero status like in the original. I'm liking Harry more and more as I read and his personality develops along with the storyline. While reading this chapter I had the thought that Harry could be schizophrenic, dismissed it, and then realized that that is actually quite plausible. (And now I'm wondering why Harry hasn't thought of mental disorders to explain his Dark Side or anything else yet; I suppose discovering a magical world makes you suspect more interesting and magical answers first.) I'm also now wishing that I had been as smart (read: calculating) as Harry when I was in middle school or when I started high school and that I had gone to a regular school so I could have freaked bullies out like Harry. Of course, I'd probably have ended up turning to my Dark Side.

Oh, and in case I don't go back and review previous chapters (I was getting into the story and kept reading) I loved the whole thing with Harry trying to blackmail Snape and Dumbledore and the subsequent public apologies - and of course Harry's use of snapping to emulate Comed-Tea (which I really, REALLY wish existed - it is pure genius).

Methods of Rationality's Harry is growing on me more and more as I read. Harry is kind of like me - intelligent so that he seems mature, but actually immature and childish. The lesson he learned in this chapter is beyond awesome; I can't even begin to say how amazing Quirrell's lesson is - and a lesson I wish I could be taught but will have to settle for learning in some other way. Hope this holds true for the rest of the book. Keep up the amazing work.
Lugnut chapter 68 . 4/15/2011
This story is just amazing.

Keep it up!
Ryan chapter 1 . 4/15/2011
Just finished chapter 71. I have been reading this for a week, eagerly looking forward to each chapter. When your story is done, I want to print out a copy of the whole thing, bind it in an old leather book cover, and read it like an ancient tome. It's a very immersive piece of writing and thank you for the time and effort you have put into it. You should be very proud of your creativity. For my part, I will be forcing as many of my friends as I can to read this, as well as thanking the person who force me.

As a side note, I did have some criticsm of a few of your earlier chapters, but each chapter seemed to get better and better, so I don't feel the need to get picky about any particular detail.
Lens of Sanity chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
I know this is FanFiction, so maybe this is a stupid idea, but:

Have you ever thought of getting in touch with Bloomsbury Publishers once you complete this book?

You would probably have to give JKR some royalties if they let you bring out a paperback but you’re doing this for free anyway so you have nothing really to lose. AND I can just see this sandwiched between Science of the Discworld, The God Delusion, and The Red Queen.

Besides there was a joke I heard ages ago; ‘Al Gore’s Earth and its Balance’, or the FAR MORE popular ‘Harry Potter: and the Balance of Earth.’

Anyway, just an idea, I’d buy the thing. Maybe you could give the proceeds to a Rationalist Charity. Y’Know, one that ACTUALLY helps people rather than gives 95Percent to bureaucrats.

Personally I hope you’d buy a solid gold house and a rocket car, but then you’re not me.

Lens of Sanity
Jan Scheuermann chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
Wow! My daughter recommended this fanfic a month ago, and it has taken me that long to read and catch up to here. I admit I can't always follow the science or the logic, but I am still loving this story!I love that you have addressed some of the basic questions I had about the magic world - especially the fact that they don't incorporate muggle technology into their own world. The fastest way they can communicate with each other over distance is an owl or sending a patronus. They need cell phones!

I cannot imagine the time and effort it takes to write each chapter. Now I want to go back and read some reviews of various chapters. I've enjoyed many, many moments in your story, but chapter 5, getting fitted for robes, sticks out in my mind as one of my favorites.

Thank you for writing. Is there some way that all we readers can contribute a few bucks to say thanks? You should be making a mint off this.
The Dain chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
It's no shame to sort of run out of steam after already writing enough chapters to fill several books. :) Lean back a bit and enjoy your accomplishment.

I have to say I also enjoyed the early chapters a bit more, with their little self-contained lessons on rationality. Obviously, there's a finite limit to how many of these lessons can be easily packaged into the ongoing story.
Jade Dagger chapter 6 . 4/14/2011
*looks at Harrys moleskin Bag of Holding, then looks at my ThinkGeek Bag of Holding*

I haven't come across a new (well, okay, to me...) Pre-Hogwarts AU in awhile. Great start. Looking forward to reading more of it tomorrow. :)
MorgannaLeFae chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
I've read this all the way through, and some of the chapters twice. I'm normally more eloquent, but for now I'll stick with this: MIND BLOWN. Thank you for this epic, amazing tale that has made me question canon.
OmgImPwned chapter 5 . 4/14/2011
BRILLIANT. I'm choking to catch my breath from laughter. You, sir, win an internet. More reviews coming later..
Darkly Dreaming chapter 71 . 4/14/2011

uo-chou chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
Heh. Excellent, I look forward to reading more. Keep up the good work!
majist chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
Your work is inspiring (and very entertaining).

What really keeps me wondering lately is where all your plots are supposed to lead.
32,528 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,354 1,361 1,362 1,363 1364 1,365 1,366 1,367 1,374 .. Last Next »