Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Din chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Last Alchemist: What are you talking about? Of course Voldemort could easily win. He has other Horcruxes and isn't dependant on Harry, and indeed, in canon, one of his soul pieces was already destroyed since the second book. Apparently, there were no adverse effects - He didn't even notice it when they were eliminated one by one!

A perfectly servicable winning strategy for canon Voldemort thus would be just to sacrifice his accidental Horcrux in Harry and kill him already (and make sure that he is indeed dead, observing the Evil Overlord rules).

So clearly, his motivation here is something else besides "winning".

And the fact that Dumbledore couldn't come up with a way to safely get rid of the Horcrux in Harry's scar is an artificial constraint imposed on the story by JKR to justify her plot, since her magic system is completely arbitrary.
Heidinanookie chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
haha. Damn.
Pentecost chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Ooh! A pissing contest between smart people. Those are always fun.
Indigo Ziona chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Hmm, interesting...

A quick word about Avada Kedavra - the intent to kill is important - surely you can fake casting it, wand movement and all, simply by lacking the intent? Quirrell didn't want to kill the guard.

I'm more and more intrigued by Quirrell as time goes on. For a while I thought he was simply as he would have been without being possessed by Voldemort, but I've wondered instead whether he simply *is* Voldemort, and your Voldemort is considerably more cunning and ambiguous than JKR's Big Bad.

Hmmmm...

And yet...

I wonder if Quirrell's not really evil as such, but working for his own idea of the greater good. A bit Gregory House-ish, in a sense - he does what he thinks is right, and is convinced that he is proceeding in the correct manner, even though he believes differently to others.

In any case, I look forward to reading more.
NoNeedForIdentityHere chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
In general: This fic is awesome.

Really funny and well-plotted plus interesting use of characters.

Just don't forget to keep the funny going even when the plot thickens.

This particular chapter was very plotty. I like that Harry is finally doubting

Quirrel, and that he doesn't let that make him irrational.

Their relationship is very interesting, I hope you have

something good planned for its overall arc.

Thanks for what is here now and please keep going.
nice chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
you have a talent for cliff-hangers
Blazen chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
I have a disturbing feeling that at some point Hermione will be sacrificed for sake of Harry's path. Because she is (or would be anyway) more important for Harry than even his parents are.
topynate chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Richard: Nice introduction of Goffman! But what social order and values do Quirrell and Harry accept and share, in order that the ritual of apology can enable Harry to show that he accepts them? I agree with Quirrell that an admission of guilt would simply be a ploy when both parties acted as they truly wished to act, to the best of their abilities. (/sociology)

Quirrell is a wonderful character, one of the best literary psychopaths I've seen. His dialogue in this chapter is icily, brilliantly logical (and Harry doesn't do too bad either). One of the benefits of rejecting the social order is the clarity it lends to one's thoughts on it. "Console yourself with this", indeed!

When you said that every fic needs one 'obviously wrong' ship, I couldn't help but think Draco and Hermione. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this is the ur-pairing of Harry Potter fan fiction. Still, I hope some sparks fly, eventually; Hermione is fascinated by plotting and ambiguously Bad People, and if Draco isn't exactly head over heels, at least he doesn't hate her guts, and she comes from an acceptable house after all. Harry should of course end up with Luna Lovegood.
catbirdgirl chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
I am not a fanfic reader. I happened on this because of a friend who is. I LOVED this. I'm pissed that I have to wait for the next chapter. It's bloody brilliant!
Mac Ceallach chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Leaving it there was unkind. Thank you for writing, and please update soon!
Richard chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Erving Goffman could help them with the apology thing: apologising is splitting yourself in two parts. One part is blameworthy and to be rejected socially, the other part shares in blaming part 1: it is this part, that agrees with the complaint against part 1, that can be reintegrated with society. So it's submission, sure, bit not abasement, necessarily.

Another great chapter, and I like how Harry's concerns remain resolutely his own, despite loud shouting from us peanut gallerians.
Froggie chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
This story is getting scary!
WaxWings chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
Well that was fun. I like that Harry really is not the first to try new things. Apparently, Dumbledore knows some little tricks with the time turner as well.
w chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
I love the cliffhanger.

Very nice confrontation. Go dark side! And finally Harry started thinking about Q.

There is something unnatural though by waking up from fainting after extremely stressful even and launching into a moral-political discussion. It's quite a distraction from the well-built background. Maybe move it to when they are back at MP? Probably too much hassle.

My candidate for the next line is "Happy happy boom boom swamp".
phoebe turner chapter 60 . 11/21/2010
great chapter!
29,781 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,361 1,368 1,369 1,370 1371 1,372 1,373 1,374 1,381 .. Last Next »