Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Higashiyama Sayuri's Devout chapter 39 . 3/8/2011
Dumbledore stared at Harry.

Harry gazed equably back at the Headmaster.

The old wizard passed a hand across his forehead and muttered, "This is madness."

No Headmaster... THIS IS SSSPPPAAAARRRRTTTTAAAAAA.

Sorry could not help myself.
Tripitaka chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
Somehow this chapters Mighty Impressive Dumbledore somehow pales in comparison to the Voice Of Power-User in the aftermath of TSPE, chapter 63... But since his purpose is somewhat different here htat may be negligible. Id love to see more Voice Of Power-Dumbledore!
anon chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
Never read the books, find the mix of magic and science amusing. Have read some of the other less wrong stuff, and as a very biased person it was good to assess why I believe what I do.
ThatJewel chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
I just read this story in less than 48 hours. As a college student, I don't have time/ don't make time to leisure read. Your story is the first in years that has grabbed me and not let go and is definitely on caliber with/ higher quality than some books I have spent my time on in the past.

I had forgotten what it was to get lost in a story. Thank you so much for this. I can't wait for the next update!
Axalion chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
Less Wrong,

I am now sure that this fanfiction is the reason that i joined fanfiction in the first place. So amazing but i really shouldn't say everything now (i have a research paper i need to be writing)so i'll just sum it up quickly. THIS FIC IS WHAT EVERY HARRY POTTER FANFICTION SHOULD BE AND MORE! IT IS AWSOME, AMAZING, WELL WRITTEN, WELL THOUGHT OUT, ADDICTING, , and so on... sorry i needed to get that out. Anyways i can't wait for the next installment of this sheer awesomeness!

I hope that my review helps this become the most reviewed on ffn. Thanks for giving fanfiction a meaning,

Axalion
ejhawman chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
More edits/retcons to past chapters! Irritating. I've a mind to stop reading until this story has a "Complete" tag. Maybe then I can get through it from start to finish without worrying about the past changing on me.

Agree the Matrix omake is the coolest one. "The universe doesn't run on math" - a true horror story for a scientist!

Albus has irritated Minerva recently with his encouragement of Hermione's heroic tendencies. Now Hermione gives Minerva a perfect way to get back. "I explained to them that Wednesday at 7PM would be fine." LOL.

You seem to use the movie appearance for Sinistra, where she is played by a black woman. Fair enough. You also posit she is in her 70's, but the actress looks much younger. That's the thing about witches, it can be hard to gauge age from appearance. Minerva, in the books, is also mentioned as still having black hair in 1991 - though we don't know the extent of dye usage in the magical world. And she IS the Transfigurations professor; recall a section in one of the later books where she teaches self-transfiguration, assigning students to change their hair color.

The unfair treatment of women in earlier times naturally horrifies modern girls. Witches in particular might have been at the forefront of gender equality. There are a lot of stories that assume the dominating fact of life for witches is the pre-modernistic feel of the magical world. They could just as easily be seen through a more Muggle-historical lens: as non-Christians, not greatly attached to Mugglish morality or practices, their troublemaking being a Muggle slur on them to obscure their true sin: having the power to defend themselves and their interests without the aid of men.

(Has this Hermione read "The Feminine Mystique" yet? I'd give even odds for her in canon at this point.)

Dumbles and Quirrell both make good points. The education of the witches progresses. But they soon start paddling up the wrong stream, looking for trouble. More excitement ahead.

All of Gryffindor House has been through the third floor corridor already? As far as they're able to go. Has Dumbles set up an obstacle course there, basically using it as a red herring to distract the students? In canon, it might be postulated as a lure for Voldy, in which case it worked, and others have noted how Harry's presence wasn't necessary for the trap to work.

Let's see what those silly girls get into next!
Grollo chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
I love this fanfic. It was the first fanfic I read and got me started on reading more, but I have not found another one quite as good. It has grown so much on me that I often confuse this for canon, and get confused about wich houses people belong to. The sorting here just makes more sense, as does a lot of things. Going to keep reading!
Phenylalanine chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
I discovered this story by way of a reddit post advertising a speech the author was giving in New York. I don't normally read any fanfic but the idea seemed so intriguing that I decided to take a moment to procrastinate with the first chapter. After finishing I immediately downloaded the pdf of the rest and voraciously read through the rest over the course of a weekend. I would be embarrassed if Methods of Rationality wasn't so rad.

This has inspired me to study rationality by way of Yudowsky's wiki and blog site. In fact, I'm reading through his explanation of Bayes' Theorem at the moment. Brilliant!
Audaks chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
Awesome story. I especially liked the argument with Dumbledore about death. It brought up some ideas I had never considered before and was very fun to read. Thanks
Av chapter 20 . 3/6/2011
Love it! I wish you could publish it - you deserve as many millions as JK! This is proper awsomecool!
Mango chapter 1 . 3/6/2011
Reading this for the second time...it's so good, and I figure I owe you about sixty-nine reviews, because I only left one the first time through.

I love all of your characters and your writing; it's awesome.
Eli Courtwright chapter 50 . 3/6/2011
"Hermione, people will do whatever they think they can get away with, they don't care about how much it hurts other people if it doesn't hurt themselves"

I just noticed while re-reading this chapter how similar Harry's statement is to what Quirrell says 10 chapters later: "Men care for what they, themselves, expect to suffer or gain; and so long as they do not expect it to redound upon themselves, their cruelty and carelessness is without limit."

Very interesting. Harry may not feel like his opponent is his Dark Mirror, but it's very interesting how similar their thought processes can be, even when they come to dramatically different overall conclusions about life.
ejhawman chapter 69 . 3/6/2011
Bullies and Quirrell's armies don't mix? One would think they'd go right for the idea, and respond well to the training. But perhaps not as well as Hermione. Training has only been going on a few months; many students won't get much better at tactical encounters in their first year. Hermione's quickness serves her well, once she has the frame of mind to learn magical combat.

How do people fail to become themselves - to complete development in the direction most suited to them? A lot of people would say by diversion: they change course in their lives or interests. Many would try to excuse their failures by pointing to opposition - they were told they couldn't do what they HAD to do , and were unable to find ways to force their way through the block. When an incident like the one shown here comes to light, the student who receives commendation will be more likely successful, while the one who is told he shouldn't meet violence with violence won't get far.

Hermione being "heroine" missing an M I wonder if that was why Rowling gave her that name.

Dumbledore refused to be her mysterious old wizard - there are plenty to go around, but Albus seems to be the only one working at Hogwarts this year. Minerva will surely try to keep Hermione low-key.

Daphne finds her quick self-reference as a member of Sunshine has a rather dangerous reaction with her name.

SPHEW. A much more appropriate cause for Hermione to champion. Though there is much thinking about the subject yet to do.
sweetestofpeas chapter 9 . 3/6/2011
"In what weird alternative universe would that girl not be Sorted into Ravenclaw?" - quite honestly, the best damn line so far, and I'm sure one of the millions of fans who reviewed prior to me already mentioned it.
Arun chapter 70 . 3/6/2011
Dude.. Nice chapter. But people like me are waiting for updates!
32,220 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,361 1,368 1,369 1,370 1371 1,372 1,373 1,374 1,381 .. Last Next »