Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
KrisTerms chapter 7 . 5/2/2010
Little dark for me, but great chapter.

Draco should read a sci-fy book. :D
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
Then Harry drew himself upright and raised his right hand in one terrible motion, fingers poised to snap.
Neville screamed and dived under his desk. Other children shrank back or instinctively raised their arms to shield themselves.
"Harry don't!" shrieked Hermione. "Whatever you were going to do to him, don't do it!"
"Have you all gone mad?" barked Severus's voice.
Slowly, Harry lowered his hand. "I wasn't going to hurt him, Hermione," Harry said, his voice a little lower. "I was just going to blow up the door."
-Some students were weeping openly. So was Professor Sprout.
At the Gryffindor table, where a cake waited with fifty-one unlit candles, Fred whispered, "I think we may be out of our league here, George."
And from that day onward, no matter what Hermione tried to tell anyone, it would be an accepted legend of Hogwarts that Harry Potter could make absolutely anything happen by snapping his fingers.
*hysterical laughter*

*feels wrung out* I was so appalled at what he'd done and didn't know what would happen next - and then he WINS! And is a hero! It was emotionally exhausting, I tell you. But awesome.
Anonymous chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
This story is friggin brilliant! I have NEVER enjoyed a fanfiction as much as this one! Please continue!
Alo Amicus chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
HO-ley SHIT! That was awesome! You might also be interested to know that my brother, my father and I all had a wonderful evening reading that wikipedia blog on rationality that you are named for. Thank you for this, most dearly and truly.
ServantofShadows chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
OH my god, this story just cracks me up! My brother has been shouting at me to stfu for the last 3 hours. It's bloody epic, so I pay my respects to you. Keep it up!
P.S. Does the story have any pairings?
Harriverse chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
What an amazing roller coaster of a chapter! I'm going to go back and reread it, it was just that good. I figured Harry was just being who your Harry is when he answered Snape back in class. After all, as the son of college professors, he would know quite a bit about teacher politics. Then his performance in the office was officially scary, but then again so was Dumbledore's. I'm guessing that Dumbles was reassured that Harry was doing all that not for himself, but for the other students. I swear, I thought those two were talking in a code that was just beyond my grasp (hence, the reread). You had me worried by the jump in the level and scope of that conversation, that Harry was too smart to make an interesting story: that he would solve the problem of Voldy seemingly easily. Then the shift with Minerva into a child again was like a drop off a cliff. I felt bad for both of them, as I'm sure you wanted us to feel. It was a good idea to take the time turner as a continuous plot device out of service. If I understand it correctly, he can still have his extra time, but just at set hours and not willy-nilly. Now he will stop playing games with himself and develop some real relationships? What was that about his dark side and Fawkes?
Mastigo chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
By the way, why was Harry spelling things out to no-one in the closet?
Aealket chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
Hi,
I have to all so say. "What just happened?"

That says it best I think. Wow!

Thanks
Alan
norickayer chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
“His eyes were as cold as anything Minerva had seen from him since the day his brother died.”

Wait- Aberforth is dead?

Also, that whole “Harry is the irreplaceable hero character” freaks me out for some reason. I don’t like that he thinks he’s so important, although it of course works for the character and the plot. It just irks me. I guess that’s part of his “dark side”.

"Now what?" Dumbledore echoed. "Why, now the hero wins, of course."
Because it’s part of the pattern, right.

"Harry," Minerva said, "will you continue to submit to school discipline, or are you to be above the law now, as Severus was?"

I love McGonagall for that line.

Ok, Fawkes calming Harry down makes me think the anger means he's tapping into Voldie’s soul fragment/horcrux. I really like Harry’s fit about the Time-Turner. He IS eleven years old, after all.
deitarionSSokolow chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
I still think making a habit out of confusing the readers (time-turner prank, set fire to a chicken) is a mistake if, as it appears, doing so correctly it's one of your weaknesses as an author... but aside from that, this is an excellent chapter.

Sadly, when I went to discuss it with one of my more insightful author friends, he said he'd given up on it and hadn't read your new chapter. More specifically, "Make Harry not compacent? Good idea. Make Voldemort actually competent? Even better. Make Dumbledore into a dangerous nutter? Suspension of disbelief has officially been overloaded."

That's the kind of readership loss I've been trying to warn you about all along. If you want to beat out My Immortal, it's not very smart to alienate your smarter readers and confuse the rest.

As for more trivial elements, ironically, I just realized about a month ago that I CAN raise just one eyebrow like Spock... but it has to be my right.
erik chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
Another great update, thanks.
Mastigo chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
Incredible as always.

I have to say though, as one who is so aware of the Patterns, Dumbledore has crafted an interesting method of suicide. What I mean is that he must be aware of the Mentor Occupational Hazard. (defined and discussed here: /Main/MentorOccupationalHazard)

I wonder how hard he'd laugh at the existance of TvTropes.
Me chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
I enjoyed most elements of this chapter. The interaction with Dumbledore, McGonagall, Harry and Snape was great, except for my nagging feeling that Harry was being a bit too whiny, brattish and annoying. I think your Harry is one of the more unlikeable ones I have read in fanfiction. However, he does have his redeeming qualities, much to Dumbledore's amusement and delight, so that's ok I suppose. I still think that for a supposed rational Harry, he had a bit of an over-reaction to Snape and his taunting.
SensiblyTainted chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
I adored this chapter. It was real and gritty and delt with some very interesting issues. I liked that victory isn't clear cut, that in battle, even a mental one, there are more likely a loser and a worse loser. And I think I'll smile every time I hear "with a snap of his fingers" fromt his day forth. I'm so proud of Harry.
A Bibliophile chapter 18 . 5/2/2010
I'm wondering what is to become of James' rock. I am assuming this is an instance of Chekhov's gun, and shall play it's role accordingly.
I look forward to seeing how this shall continue to play out.
23,754 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,363 1,370 1,371 1,372 1373 1,374 1,375 1,376 1,383 .. Last Next »