Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Kylani chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
I don't really have much to say other than the usual "brilliant", but I felt like being reviewer 9501.
ImUpToNoGood chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Really good chapter.

Loved the bit with Fawkes and Harry and Dumbledore. I really want to see Sirius freed... please say we don't have to wait too much longer, now that Azkaban is in the picture!

It is obvious that Quirrelmort is manipulating Harry, and Harry admires him enough not to see it, or perhaps not to want to. As mature as his mind is, he is still eleven, and still has the need for an adult to respect. Not sure where you are going... it seems you could have Harry likewise influence Quirrel, or Harry realize at some point that Quirrel does not necessarily have his best interests at heart, unless you consider becoming a Dark Lord in Harry's best interest.

One thing... I thought Voldemort turned snakelike because his spirit lived in creatures while he was disembodied, which means he would still have been the charismatic human during the first wizarding war. It is possible that the making of horcruxes slowly damaged the body as will as the soul, and could well have given him the red eyes, but the snake features were a vestige of time living as a snake.

What are your thoughts?
Rin chapter 1 . 11/27/2010
if your taking a leave/hiatus in the story, the remaining chapter(s) you mentioned will be loooong right?...right?
Mikko Rauhala chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Nice stuff with the Harry/Fawkes gang-up on Albus - nice play with what Albus deserves not, I did for a moment wonder if Fawkes had actually left him, and that did seem overly sad.

Incidentally, might the Death Eaters learning to not attack the Order's families have something to do with, say, Draco's mum burning to death...
AngelForm chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
In Dungeons and Dragons the paladin class must maintain a Lawful Good moral alignment. Many, many debates have taken place as to what should happen when what is Good and what is Lawful clash directly. Whether a paragon of what is Right and Just should stand by what the Law dictates or what morality demands.

Nice to know where Harry stand on that point at least.

Inventive way of getting around the Do Not Mess With Time problem.
RIgal chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
AWESOME! GREAT! HArry the trouble hes in now, I wonder if hell finally realize Quirrells Voldy! oh woow COngrats on the best fanfic on this site.
Whitewings chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
The problem with Azkaban is simply this: How do you jail a wizard? Imagine how hard it would be to hold a normal person who could call on friends to bring heavy construction equipment to bear on the walls of his prison, and now consider that a single wizard, even without his wand, effectively is heavy construction equipment. Mere walls won't even slow a wizard, and wards will only provide a modest improvement. Muggle guards can't really keep the population of a muggle prison under control if they decide not to be controlled, and there is no reason to think this would be different for wizard guards in a wizard prison. What's needed is something to keep them from working magic, and so far as we've seen in canon, the only thing - I emphasise only - that can stop the working of magic is a Dementor. Condemn Azaban, it certainly merits condemnation, but before you have it destroyed, come up with a better solution.
Utisz chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
...

Right.

So Harry can talk to a) an animal, b) that is magical, c) that no one else can talk to, d) in such a way that High Wizard Wisdompants is surprised.

Because he's rational.

...

I am laughing so hard right now.

On the one hand, this is a point towards Sueishness. It's a whole bunch of points towards it, really, but whatever. If this were a mundane setting, it would be horrible. Even though this is a highish fantasy setting, if he did it through straight up maaaagic it would be pretty awful.

But he's not.

Harry James Potter-Evan-Verres can talk to phoenixes.

Because.

Of.

Science.

Bitchin'.
voider chapter 62 . 11/27/2010

"Caw?" said the phoenix.

Fawkes didn't understand the conversation.

/ENDQUOTE

Heh... phoenixes are almost always depicted as really smart and wise. I've had this concept too... that maybe their ability to sense emotions might make great ...pets/companions ... but not good advisers.

Isn't it about time for Harry to have some heavy suspicions that Quirrell is Quirrellmort... or at least that he might be one of Voldemort's servants?
ilikebluepineapples chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Surely McGonagall and Dumbledore would remember how many other kids have Time Turners? If not both, at least one of them. Readers can be forgiven for forgetting this, but McGonagall and Dumbledore are the ones handing out the Time Turners.
Speechwriter chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
This is brilliant. Best chapter since the dementor-destruction. I could picture Dumbledore's every word and action crystal-clear in my mind - thank you for brightening my day.

I love when Harry gets all super-compassionate. It makes me want to sob with his childish not-quite-naivete.
Gatalicious chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
What I don't understand is why Harry is so vehemently against Azkaban. He identifies Dementors as ultimate evil, but has he never even considered the fact that maybe dementors are creatures of their own sort. A species of carnivores that are above humans in the food pyramid and need to feed on them in their own unique way in order to sustain themselves.

Although I do understand what he means by letting prisoners out of inhumane torture. But I feel the manner in which you portrayed Harry's vies on this matter, he rather there were no prison altogether. That prisoners roam free. I think you should make that distinction clear that some people deserve prison, but no one deserves torture.

Gatonio.
CPAnthoni chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Wow. Good work.
109 chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
I wish Professor McGonagall wouldn't just write herself out of all the time-travel paradoxical stuff. She's as rational as anyone, and she could probably understand it as well as anyone, were it not for that strange notion that it was somehow improper or taboo or something.
singingdragon chapter 6 . 11/27/2010
I hadn't thought of it before, but most of my favorite Harry moments involve him utterly flabbergasting an adult with some reasoned argument or cutting remark. Unfortunately, it was never a major part of his personality, just one that was fun to watch when it showed up. It's interesting to see him recast with that sort of wit as a primary trait. He even does it without being mean, whereas the original Harry's wit was used to cut people down as much as to actually get what he wanted.

I required a conscious suspension of disbelief for just how rational, brilliant, well-read, and quick-thinking this incarnation of Harry was at only eleven. However, the more I read the more other, more humanizing traits are coming through. I won't say the character is getting more believable, but I'm certainly getting more willing to suspend my disbelief, which is actually a higher compliment of the writing.

Bravo.
30,087 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,364 1,371 1,372 1,373 1374 1,375 1,376 1,377 1,384 .. Last Next »