Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ChocoholicWriter chapter 5 . 11/29/2010
Oh my God! The scene in Madam Malkin's is hilarious! I actually cried I was laughing so hard
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 10 . 11/29/2010
And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 9 . 11/29/2010
Short chapter… still excellent.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 8 . 11/29/2010
Excellent.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 7 . 11/29/2010
I always love the aftermaths.
Remoara chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Something seems off in the writing at the end of this chapter.

"Her sheets were soaked in sweat, her nightclothes soaked in sweat, she took her wand from beside the pillow and cleaned herself up before she tried to go back to sleep, she tried to go back to sleep and eventually succeeded.

Sybill Trelawney went back to sleep."

Altogether too much repetition, with two instances of 'trying to go back to sleep' and three of just 'going back to sleep'.

The main purpose here is to move the reveal of WHO the section is talking about to the very end, yes? That should be completely possible with some more flowing wording.

I'd suggest some myself, but I'm pretty damn sure EY will be able to come up with something better than I could as soon as his attention is drawn to it.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 6 . 11/29/2010
Solid approach to th problem, Harry.

(This story is awesome.)
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 5 . 11/29/2010
The blossoming relationship between McGonagall and Harry is a thing of gentle beauty.
Peregrinate chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
:) Yay. An update. That's made my hard, sad day just a little brighter, thanks.
Pat Clemens chapter 52 . 11/29/2010
I haven't reached the end yet, but I started off reading this Harry Potter fanfic that was recommended to me by a trusted friend, and found myself enjoying it, no, *really* enjoying it, no, this is by far the best fanfic I've ever read. No, this is much better than the original. It's some of the best fiction I've ever read. No, wait, this is some of the best *anything* I've ever read. I'm not sure it's possible to overstate how much I love this.

Less Wrong, I want to eat your brains. For now, I'll just keep on reading your fic, which has sucked me away from my new World of WarCraft account on several successive days.

I guess I should probably be more specific, so I'll make a list of some of this piece's admirable qualities:

* highly believable, well-rounded characters

* convincing dialogue

* making no more changes than necessary to the preexisting world

* humor that makes me wish I could recommend it to my friends along with a can of Comed-Tea

* thoughtful & detailed treatment of the implications of how things are stated to work in the given universe

* prizewinning memes of rationalism, presented in a form detailed enough to not patronize and clearly stated enough to educate the unfamiliar.

The Wind God chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Another absolutely fantastic chapter. I greatly look forward to the new chapter in a month or so. Enjoy the time off. :) Have a wonderful Christmas and/or Holiday Season.
MissMally chapter 5 . 11/29/2010
You are a genius, and that is the truth...
Tom Reagan chapter 24 . 11/29/2010
Just a quick note:

This chapter prompted me to look up Death Note, which I had never before heard of. Intrigued by the premise, I ordered the first volume, and have just as of three minutes ago finished it.

Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you for bringing this to my attention (I've no idea why I've never stumbled upon it before in my travelings of the t'interwebs).

I've now ordered the other volumes, and as you've probably surmised, I am totally enraptured by this utterly brilliant story.

Thanks again,

Tom Reagan.
Last Alchemist chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
David Brin is on to something, wondering whether magical criminals can be dealt with by removing their magical ability by some means, thus making them into muggles. That would seem too extreme, especially if it involves something like a form of wizardly partial lobotomy. But there might be a middle ground-turning them into squibs. This would require inquiring into what makes a squib different from someone who is able to do magic, and yet also different from a muggle. Since it seems clear that the magical gene or genetic traits need to be present on both sides of the paired chromosomes in order to be expressed (which would make them like recessive genetic traits that must be doubled to be expressed), the difference between anyone able to do magic and muggles is that muggles at most only have the genetic traits for magic on one side (or neither). Squibs on the other hand would have the genetic traits necessary for magic present on both sides-they are duplicated-so they can sense magical things (like Mrs. Figg being able to see dementors), but they cannot use magic even for the simplest spells. This could be caused by a chance mutation or damage causing an off-switch to be set (DNA coding is known to include off-switches), so that a critical portion of one of the genetic traits is skipped over and not read by the molecular mechanism that reads the DNA. In order to render a magical criminal unable to use magic, it would be necessary to set an off switch so that the critical portion of genetic coding is skipped over. The one real catch is that this must be done for every cell in the body (or a least for the brain, but that is still millions of cells). But if this could be done magically by a precise and sufficiently encompassing spell, then this means the same technique could be used to cure squibs, so that people like Mrs. Figg-and Mr. Filch-can wield magic and become witch and wizard. Thus this research into finding a better way to deal with magical criminals would pay dividends in leading to a cure for squibs.
sundog chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Your story is making me a better person. I had lost my way, for a while. Thank you for helping me remember why striving for the truth is worth it. Sometimes a person gets mired in amongst other people to whom truth is not the most important thing. Sometimes a person gets stuck in a mental trap of his own making: to feel completely alone is enough to change your mind, and sublime that core of yourself that you once cherished above anything else. But thank you for making me remember myself. I missed me, a lot.
30,344 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,364 1,371 1,372 1,373 1374 1,375 1,376 1,377 1,384 .. Last Next »