Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Lens of Sanity chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
I know this is FanFiction, so maybe this is a stupid idea, but:

Have you ever thought of getting in touch with Bloomsbury Publishers once you complete this book?

You would probably have to give JKR some royalties if they let you bring out a paperback but you’re doing this for free anyway so you have nothing really to lose. AND I can just see this sandwiched between Science of the Discworld, The God Delusion, and The Red Queen.

Besides there was a joke I heard ages ago; ‘Al Gore’s Earth and its Balance’, or the FAR MORE popular ‘Harry Potter: and the Balance of Earth.’

Anyway, just an idea, I’d buy the thing. Maybe you could give the proceeds to a Rationalist Charity. Y’Know, one that ACTUALLY helps people rather than gives 95Percent to bureaucrats.

Personally I hope you’d buy a solid gold house and a rocket car, but then you’re not me.

Lens of Sanity
Jan Scheuermann chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
Wow! My daughter recommended this fanfic a month ago, and it has taken me that long to read and catch up to here. I admit I can't always follow the science or the logic, but I am still loving this story!I love that you have addressed some of the basic questions I had about the magic world - especially the fact that they don't incorporate muggle technology into their own world. The fastest way they can communicate with each other over distance is an owl or sending a patronus. They need cell phones!

I cannot imagine the time and effort it takes to write each chapter. Now I want to go back and read some reviews of various chapters. I've enjoyed many, many moments in your story, but chapter 5, getting fitted for robes, sticks out in my mind as one of my favorites.

Thank you for writing. Is there some way that all we readers can contribute a few bucks to say thanks? You should be making a mint off this.
The Dain chapter 71 . 4/15/2011
It's no shame to sort of run out of steam after already writing enough chapters to fill several books. :) Lean back a bit and enjoy your accomplishment.

I have to say I also enjoyed the early chapters a bit more, with their little self-contained lessons on rationality. Obviously, there's a finite limit to how many of these lessons can be easily packaged into the ongoing story.
Jade Dagger chapter 6 . 4/14/2011
*looks at Harrys moleskin Bag of Holding, then looks at my ThinkGeek Bag of Holding* um...trade?

I haven't come across a new (well, okay, to me...) Pre-Hogwarts AU in awhile. Great start. Looking forward to reading more of it tomorrow. :)
MorgannaLeFae chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
I've read this all the way through, and some of the chapters twice. I'm normally more eloquent, but for now I'll stick with this: MIND BLOWN. Thank you for this epic, amazing tale that has made me question canon.
OmgImPwned chapter 5 . 4/14/2011
BRILLIANT. I'm choking to catch my breath from laughter. You, sir, win an internet. More reviews coming later..
Darkly Dreaming chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
Lolwut?

~*SRC*~
uo-chou chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
Heh. Excellent, I look forward to reading more. Keep up the good work!
majist chapter 71 . 4/14/2011
Your work is inspiring (and very entertaining).

What really keeps me wondering lately is where all your plots are supposed to lead.
Guest chapter 16 . 4/13/2011
I love this story! It's very well written but I noticed one thing in this chapter. Quirrell specified that Harry had to fire at a student but he did not say that for Hermione or Draco. They could both technically fire at him without breaking the guidelines of his order. When he asked for their reason it would be 1)You were the one who asked me to harm somebody in this room so you were asking for it. 2)The only one they could of pissed off with that response is the teacher that told them he was the most dangerous person in the room and told them to fire the jinx at somebody.
anonymous chapter 7 . 4/13/2011
"...there's lots of rumors..." should be "there're lots of rumors" ("there is" for singular, "there are" for plural).
Jen chapter 71 . 4/13/2011
Hi!

I was reading your other reviews for this chapter (71), given that I've run out of chapters to re-re-re-read. I just wanted say, to all the confused "why are there two Hannahs?":

There's one Hannah. Daphne is *anticipating* she'll vote no, perhaps because that is the normal Slytherin view of a Hufflepuff, perhaps because she divined it as a probably outcome based on past behavior, or perhaps for some other reason in part or entirely.

Hannah, however, votes yes. Daphne assumed wrong, and perhaps learned the dangers of assuming things at all when you're a supporting-lead actress in a rationalist's fanfic.

The notes pointing out canon Hogwarts had fatalities are also right though. However, you seem to have implied Lord Slytherin would not deign to hide his Chamber in the girls' loo. So maybe Myrtle never died there.

Anyway, as usual, love the story.
Ocean Starfly chapter 6 . 4/13/2011
I would have to agree with McGonagall. Something about Harry is just off. He's ridiculously smart - I know child genius exist, but those are book smart. Harry is somehow too mature for anyone his age or in his circumstances. You - or rather Harry - explain this by saying it was because he was isolated, but a normal child would become lonely from that and crave attention of any kind, not just respect the way Harry does. He is ultra genre savvy, which is slightly understandable from him being such an avid reader, but still. No child should be able to comprehend that much - hardly any humans of any age or circumstance can understand that much. This is somewhat remedied by his outbursts of anger, but he still learns at an incredible speed even from those instances. Even the scene where Harry apologizes profusely for speaking without thinking does not really match up with the rest of his personality thus far. It feels too humble and abrupt for him; I think this is at least in part because of the way you wrote it. If you had presented it differently, I think it would have worked better and not felt so out of place. As a whole, I think you could use more description of the characters - their expressions, emotions, etc., especially Harry. Since it is in his POV you sort of skim over that because people can't really see themselves for how they are acting, but since this in in third person POV than it really needs more to tell us (the readers) about how the main character is feeling, or perhaps more aptly, how he is reacting. On a not-quite-but-still-sort-of-related note, I think you might have revealed too much about Harry since this is only the sixth chapter. Characters are more compelling if you learn about them gradually, as situations arise that brings things into the light, so to speak.

Although, I must say, the pure hilarity of the whole thing sort of makes up for all of that, at least as I read. But I find it hard to appreciate or take as a serious work of fiction; this still has that strong feeling of being fanfiction. Which I understand that it is, but I think that the best fanfiction does not feel like fanfiction, mainly because a portion of that feeling is the sense that the work/writer is amateur. I hope to see improvement in these matters as the story goes on though, as it sort of detracts from Harry's character. For example, when Harry is leading up to revealing that he has extra money he stole from his vault it feels like a Narm, especially when he goes to bathroom and starts throwing up. Actually, that applies to most of Harry's speeches/monologues/dialogue. It's really funny to read, but for Harry it is probably a lot more serious.

Oh, and one more thing: "Quietus"? Really?

On a positive note: Harry makes me laugh. Rather, his interactions with other people and their reactions are hilarious, which is what I like best about this so far. That hand the basic premise of Harry being a scientific genius before going to Hogwarts.
Marius Khushrenada chapter 59 . 4/13/2011
All around excellent.

Just finished reading, and this is very likely the best piece of fanfiction i've ever read.
Ocean Starfly chapter 5 . 4/13/2011
I about died reading this. Harry and Draco... that was pure awesome. And of course Harry would reduce McGonagall to drinking. And McGonagall's theory for why Harry defeated Voldemort and survived the Killing Curse and the reactions of Madam Malkin and her assistants were priceless. I am still laughing, and will probably laugh out loud every time I think of this.

Oh, one problem I noticed - McGonagall never told Harry about Rowena Ravenclaw but he mentioned her to Draco. I guess it could have been mentioned off-screen, but if it is that's not clear.
32,687 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,365 1,372 1,373 1,374 1375 1,376 1,377 1,378 1,385 .. Last Next »