Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
The Monster chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
William H. Stoddard

"I work as a copy editor and has dealt with large amounts of British English academic writing;"

You must be off duty when replying to reviews. "I ... has dealt with?" Really?

I think that's Muphry's Law at work. (It's spelled that way on purpose. Google it.)
Jonshine chapter 72 . 5/30/2011

Or, to put it another way, 'What's Eliezer Plotting Now?'

See you on the tvtropes WMG page.

Scott chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
A truly amazing work. Thank you for hours of quality entertainment.
vlora chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
The longer you take to write the chapters, the more engrossing the story, but it doesn't compensate me checking back day after day after day...
whisperasweknowit chapter 14 . 5/30/2011
You deserve every review you have. The amount of work you must have put into this is both astonishing and fantastic. I applaud you, and I fully intend to finish reading this. At some point. It's long. XD

Zero chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
This was a goddamn great chapter. I really like where this arc is going, and I eagerly away the coming thirty xanatos pileup.

Hermione's character is developing in an interesting way, too.

I think you've hit your stride again. The earlier chapters of Self-Actualization were very entertaining to read, but a bit meandering in terms of direction and purpose.

Looking forward to the next update :)
Laocorn chapter 5 . 5/30/2011
I have to say normally I am much more reserved when it comes to reviewing but I cannot help but to congratulate you on how entertaining and well structured this story has been so far.

I am looking forward to seeing the formulation of the plot after the humorous introductions have all run their course.

Laocorn chapter 3 . 5/30/2011
I just started your story after finding it a previous read author's favorites list. I must say I am already looking forward to this story after reading two chapters partly for the humor and partly for the rationality of it all.

I would also like to thank you in advance for introducing me to Less Wrong as I feel I will be spending many an hour pouring through the site.

In any case on with reading the story.

TheBoy chapter 30 . 5/30/2011
At about chapter 5 I believe, I left a review (as per your request) that detailed the pluses and minuses of your work (up to that point). I just want to follow-up now: ...Thanks!

I've enjoyed it a lot thus far. I've come to realize that 1) It's NOT a Gary Stu (well...maybe a little, but as I mentioned before, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing anyway), 2) Harry ISN'T a sociopath (well again, maybe a little...and again, you've done it justice), and 3) the emotional maturity of Harry Potter is warranted.

I still don't think its at the right level for even a genius and/or an emotional genius (if such a thing exists) of someone his age, but you reined it in a bit, and after the fifth chapter it became apparent to me that you needed him at that level for your plot and/or your point, which, let's face it, are the driving forces of your narrative.

Anyway, I'm happy. Thanks again!
Obi1Nemogbr chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
I like the last cryptic message to the father in the end. Great chapter as always.
cswetenham chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
One of the best chapters yet - definitely worth the wait!
Kudou Shinichi chapter 72 . 5/30/2011
Beautiful story with many delightful moments of well executed brilliance. That said, it seems I am not alone in my more mild opinion of the 'S.P.H.E.W'. In the books she is written as mystically well read who happens to have read valuable information that she can recall nearly perfectly. I liked that portrayal of intelligence, but I have been persuaded that rationalism can be even more fun for the reader. Rationalism in MOR is well done and cleverly portrayed in Harry, but Hermione for whatever reason in MOR is just not playing in the same league. Harry has made steps to change the world and has vast dreams and goals, whereas Hermione wants to do well in her studies and promote heroic equality for witches. Her goals are just not nearly as epic, but I could envision future chapters where Hermione could be contributing more excitement to the story. I think this is entirely possible with the direction you are taking with Snape and perhaps Quirrel's minor recession into the backdrop. I can only guess at the difficulties involved in writing a rationalized Hermione, so I wish you the best and despite my current complaint about Hermione I still love your story.
Can't make the login work chapter 36 . 5/30/2011
Soooo funny. It's 2 am and I can't get put it down to go to bed. I'd be mad, if I didn't enjoy being caught in this way.
Ronfar chapter 72 . 5/29/2011
It's nice to see Snape living up to his title and showing that he can plot and scheme with the best of them. ;)

- CronoDAS on LessWrong
William H. Stoddard chapter 72 . 5/29/2011
This is just a quick note on the question of the subjunctive raised by an anonymous reviewer. Fowler's Modern English Usage, the standard British guide to style, says that the subjunctive is seldom obligatory in British English, though it has been gaining currency since the 1980s. "Gaining currency" only goes so far, though. I work as a copy editor and has dealt with large amounts of British English academic writing; one of the things I had to get used to was that even scholarly and official writers would nearly always use the indicative where an American would consider the subjunctive more correct.

I'm glad to see the story come back to life; I feared that the turn to a subplot about Hermione had totally killed its momentum and the author's motivation. Though perhaps it's the renewed focus on Draco that helped revive it.
34,020 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,423 1,430 1,431 1,432 1433 1,434 1,435 1,436 1,443 .. Last Next »