Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
alchymie chapter 67 . 1/20/2011
Harry is indeed becoming the hero and leader that we wish he'd become by the end of Book 7. Thank you for that, if nothing else.

I confess I don't know whether this story will end "happily" or not. There's no reason it should, except that when reading a story of Light vs. Darkness, most readers enjoy it when Light triumphs. Not sure how that can happen, with a Voldemort smart enough to send a Horcrux into space. (Unless, as I suspect, magic is so closely tied to life itself that magic fails in space.)

But I do wonder something that Harry could not, since he doesn't share the readers' knowledge that Quirrell houses Voldemort. A very intelligent Voldemort, one who long ago hid his father's grave so it would be available to him, one who actually plans ahead.

Why is Voldemort teaching at Hogwarts?

In canon, it was for the opportunity to steal the Philosopher's Stone and return to the living again. If the Stone has been mentioned since the Welcoming Feast, I missed it. (Well, when Harry suggested the Dementor was being brought to campus as a distraction, Dumbledore may have been thinking about the Stone then, but the readers don't see what comes of that. We don't _see_ the Stone.) So it doesn't appear Voldemort's at Hogwarts for the Stone.

He could have possessed Quirrell and taught Battle Magic at any time. Why this year?

It must be because this is the first year Harry's at Hogwarts. Harry was out of reach before now. Harry is young; he will never be more vulnerable. One might think Voldemort had planned to finish the job he started at Godric's Hollow (I assume Voldemort still knows that bit of the prophecy which led him to Godric's Hollow in the first place), but the Dark Lord has had ample opportunity to destroy Harry without risk, and he hasn't done so.

So either Voldemort intends to turn Harry - corrupt him while he's young and impressionable (and Hermione would say he's succeeding), and make him a worthy lieutenant to the Dark Lord...

Or Voldemort is studying Harry, biding his time until he _can_ safely destroy him. You've set up the story so that the Bone of the Father and the Flesh of the Servant are now readily at hand... only the Blood of the Enemy remains. For that ritual to work, Harry must consider himself Voldemort's enemy, and the blood must be taken by force. It must be through conflict. And with each battle scenario, Voldemort learns more about how General Chaos thinks; his strengths, his weaknesses. He will be prepared to defeat Harry, when the time comes.

I can't think of any other reason why Voldemort would bother teaching a full year at Hogwarts. And this is a Voldemort who does nothing without a good reason.

It will be interesting to see if my speculations pan out. In any case, thank you once again for what may be the most engrossing HP fanfic I've ever read.
LancasterianEra chapter 67 . 1/20/2011
OH MY GOD, This is the most amazing story I have EVER read, and the best part of all about it is that all the Science i can actually use. This is some of the good stuff here. I'm telling people about this, it's AWESOME.
Darkly Dreaming chapter 67 . 1/20/2011
I see that this was last updated a week ago, so I have hope that I may see the end. And that's exactly why I'm not screaming at you to update as soon as possible. ;)

I admit I am confused about certain things that will no doubt be brought to light later, such as Prof. Quirrel's true intentions (indeed, Prof. Quirrel period), and whether or not Harry's actually going to turn Draco away from the Dark Lord. And the whole Bellatrix being tricked or whatever seems *plausible* but not really...likely, I suppose. There are myriad other things I'm confused about, but I'm sure you'll straighten everything out later, so I'll stop pestering you.

~*SRC*~
kpm chapter 30 . 1/20/2011
AWESOME! Thank you very much!
Lihrah chapter 67 . 1/20/2011
Amazing, simply amazing. I'll write a longer and more detailed review once I've had time to completely process and analyze my thoughts. Thank you for writing a fanfiction that educates as well as entertains!
He Who Rules With an Iron Hoof chapter 67 . 1/20/2011
Harry is annoyed that people think he's a god, the correct term is "God Emperor of Humanism".
Draic chapter 64 . 1/20/2011
Twilight. Awesome.
Re'Lar chapter 9 . 1/20/2011
I loved the song D

This story is great! Well done. No Really, Well. Done.
Obi1Nemogbr chapter 65 . 1/19/2011
chocolate-flavored scone with some scone-flavored frosting.?

What sssacrilege.
ironsodmongoose chapter 42 . 1/19/2011
why do you feel the incesesnt need to take our (my) picture of your logic and have a new logic kick it in the face and take its place every other chapter?
Qwertiest chapter 33 . 1/19/2011
I absolutely love the Orson Scott Card allusions as I love the book, especially the one that Neville said in his battlecry (Unfortunately I haven't read the other books you alluded to in there), but I laughed hysterically nevertheless. Just so you know, I mouthed them out every single time then rolled around on my bed laughing.
melric chapter 27 . 1/19/2011
i started reading this yesterday; im a person who has to read stories all through - i simply can't stop.

but this chapter demanded me to leave a review.

im a snape fan (yes, yes - one of them) and i have been like begging you (telephatically) to bring him in, and to pleeease do him well - (not a simple petty persona, not simply evil, not a flat character, not simple, period)

you outstandingly surpassed my expectations.

bravo.

these scenes will be a constant replay on my mind, labeled as superb fanfiction - you know... that ONE line in a book that made it worthwhile, that spark of genius, That - was this chapter to me.

do i actually need to say that you have had me laughing at a computer monitor through most chapters, or wishing a day had more hours to continue reading?

well just in case...

now, if you excuse me, ill continue (now on writing) begging you to bring snape in again - and continue reading.
MadScribbler chapter 9 . 1/19/2011
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at Harry Potter's trip to the sorting hat. And I love the hat's song, which was somewhat familiar. What a unique and wonderful story! I've never read anything like this in fanfiction.
Azremodehar chapter 33 . 1/19/2011
Just found this fic thanks to TV Tropes, haha. Been enjoying, and just wanted to say that the shades of Ender's Game made me giggle.
Summer Leah chapter 10 . 1/19/2011
That made me laugh hysterically! LOVED the self-aware sorting hat!
32,149 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,423 1,430 1,431 1,432 1433 1,434 1,435 1,436 1,443 .. Last Next »