Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
anon chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
This really was a masterpiece. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm always amazed by how complex you make your stories :)
Deoxy chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
This story is too awesome for words. EVERY CHAPTER EATS HARRY POTTER AND SHITS UTTER AWESOMENESS. IT BRINGS MANLY TEARS TO MY EYES.

AND THIS IS JUST YEAR ONE.

HOLY. SHIT.
William H. Stoddard chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
That point about Dumbledore's multiple offices reminds me of nothing so much as Augustus Caesar, who, after his defeat of Marc Antony, managed at the same time to get appointed or elected to the offices of Consul (making him Rome's chief executive), Tribune (making him the official defender of the people against the state and making his person immune), and Pontifex Maximus (making him chief administrator of the Roman priesthoods), while also being Rome's prime military commander and incredibly rich. We tend to think of him now as just "emperor," but that wasn't a formal title then: Augustus assembled the powers involved out of several different offices, and then they stayed stuck together and acquired "Imperator" as a formal title for his heirs. Whether Augustus was evil might be debated, but I don't think there is the slightest question that he wanted power and knew how to get it.
cerulean azure chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
loved the last part. Trust this Harry to think of THAT as the first thing.
Baughn chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
Heir of slytherin? What's that? We've got *serious problems here*.

Don't they use snake parts in their potions? o_O
Evilblaze chapter 46 . 9/25/2010
This is for chapter 47:

Draco was distraught about Dumbledore burning his mother alive. I was wondering if there was any justification as to why Lucius still sent him to Hogwarts. Alma mater pride? Only place to learn?
Speechwriter chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
Oh, thank God! A new chapter. My day/week is complete.

So many heavy issues in this chapter. It's fantastic. The wonder with which Draco responds to his first knowledge of racism is so sad and so endearing.

Also, I just loved reading the snippet of the book that Harry showed Malfoy about Salazar's Patronus. The sentence structure there is so reminiscent of the Bible, it's really so well-done. As everything tends to be in these chapters.

"Your life, and my life, and Hermione Granger's life, all the lives of Earth, and all the lives beyond, to be defended and protected, EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

And there was light."

I just couldn't help but think, "And Harry Potter said let there be light, and there was light." I'm not sure if this was meant to be a Biblical reference or not, but after Harry has just 1) described endless hypothetical alien life forms and 2) described how life should really be lived, it's almost fitting that he is a sort of God character. Hmm.

I think there might have been a speck of inconsistency in how Draco deals with the death of his mother. The first time it's mentioned, it drives him to sobbing hysterics. The very notion that he might have misunderstood something about her death - that Dumbledore may not actually have killed her - makes him furious at Harry. Yet, somehow, after this:

"Condition three is that Narcissa has to have been burned alive. If that part of the story turns out to be something exaggerated just to make it sound a little worse, then I get to decide for myself whether or not to still go through with the pledge."

and

"Condition five is that if whoever killed Narcissa was tricked somehow into doing it, then my enemy is whoever tricked them, not the person who was tricked."

Draco's reaction is to accuse Harry of attempting to get out of his pledge? If it were me - if I were so sensitive to my mother's death that I couldn't talk about it without breaking down completely - I would feel defensive, at the very least, about someone talking about it so casually.

Of course, Draco has probably adjusted to Harry's insensitivity quite well by now, but I still think anger is a logically proceeding step for after Harry's conditions.

Of course, I just adored "SNAKES ARE SENTIENT?"

and,

"Draco, I'm an Occlumens -"

"OH THAT IS SUCH A LIE -"

Gah! I just love your writing. Thank you, too, for being brave enough to address the issue of Slytherin's increasingly homogeneous 'evil' population. I'm so looking forward to seeing how they clean up J.K. Rowling's painfully-stereotyped House For Bad People.
skylerbird chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
I adored this chapter, and Harry and Draco's carefully wrought deal, but that last line is what sent me into hysterical fits of laughter. "SNAKES ARE SENTIENT?" Ah, poor Harry!
Evilblaze chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
Great story. I've stumbled upon your work around chapter 8 and have been hooked ever since. I miss many of the small hints you drop, as well as completely overlook some plot events (for example, I didn't realize that Voldemort made the horcrux and sent it into space until I read your Author's Notes), but the trip so far with you has been amazing and I eagerly await you next update.
cheech chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
YES! FINALLY, AN UPDATE!
Vayah chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
Holy crap. I think I'm in love with you.

I always thought it was SO stupid that nobody in the magical world realized that if snakes could make conversation with humans then it meant that ALL animals could if you could speak their language. Or that snakes were just that more awesome.

You just keep getting better and better. For God's sake, it isn't fair!

PLEASE update soon!
w chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
Nice to get a new chapter, thank you! Good on the plot-side, power-hungry Dumbledore. Also, nice description of Draco's changes. Harry's monologues feel a bit long. Yerby's death should have been treated with some skepticism by Harry too.

And also nice to see Harry back messing with people's minds.

It's also obvious, and a very nice touch, that Lucius _is_ being truthful about him being under Imperius. Also, one does wonder how smart Snape really is.

Anyhow, thank you.
Crazy Iemon chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
I...

Wow.

This story is deep. It makes me REALLY want this in physical book format since its so damn hard to re-read / find things when reading on the computer.

On a side note, are you planning to ever "re-release" the author notes for your previous chapters? Like at the end, make one big chapter with all the author notes or something?
kutta chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
Aweeeeesssooommmeee chapteeer! At last the hiatus is over!
EarthScorpion chapter 47 . 9/25/2010
With regards to the Author's Note; yes. So very yes. It's one of the things that makes me twitch, the way that some series suddenly reveal that humans (or near-humans) are not the only sapient species around, and then people shrug and accept it. I mean, in HP... okay, snakes are self-aware enough to conceptualise and communicate at a level above chimps and sign language, and people just shrug and accept that it's normal? Argh!

And, yes, I'm sorry that you didn't like this chapter, but I did, a lot, so that might help make you a little happier. You've managed to discuss some quite delicate things without ending up waffling, or reducing one character to a machine that exists to prompt exposition. So... yep. Fun-fun.
28,685 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,432 1,439 1,440 1,441 1442 1,443 1,444 1,445 1,452 .. Last Next »