Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
FanFicBias chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Man i like the ambiguity with Quirrelmort. You're never sure what that guy is doing.

I was actually inspired enough by the MoR principle of taking a character from a world with a traditional bent and imagining what he would do if he were a rationalist hero. I did it myself in the Naruto world with Shikamaru on here.

"Shikamaru vs the Logical Fallacies" (/plug). Heh.

I've been reading for months and haven't reviewed yet so i figure I'd add to your total.

Also I guess i should say, I don't know if i fully understood why Hermione had to "answer for herself." I would think Flitwick would be puzzled by that too. I for one, think it would be cool for another line or two there about what he means. Is he afraid Quirrelmort would follow her around otherwise? haha his creepiness is awesome by the way.
ARMH chapter 66 . 2/28/2011
Glad to see that Harry made what I would consider to be the right choice. I cant wait for the next battle; it should be great.
ARMH chapter 65 . 2/28/2011
Good chapter. I would cry if Harry went along with the Professor's plan. He can get plenty strong at Hogwarts anyway.
Funabisenu chapter 5 . 2/28/2011
I feel like I'm getting smarter just for reading this story. O.O
gwonbush chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
When I started reading this fic I decided that I would review at the end of every year and at the final chapter. I was naive, having such expectations that 400,000 word actually covered a whole year. Even if that many words were multiple with J. K. Rowling. And fanfics generally are more condensed than their novel origins. All else aside, on to the review

The Good: First and foremost, the beginning was completely hilarious, I laughed almost continually from chapters one to 10. Although, that may have been partially the sleep deprivation talking, since it makes funny things funnier. Good plot, all the changes in characters are improvements or at least make the story more entertaining. The references that I caught were entertaining. Let's see: Compleat Enchanter, D&D with the prismatic spells, the always great Ender's Game, Guren Lagaan with the drill spell (could almost hear the shout in the background of GIGA DRIIILLLLL BREAKEEEEEEEEEER!), Fermat's Last Theorem with the too narrow margins, and that is just what I can come up with off of the top of my head.

The Not-So-Good: This fic is at the level where I wouldn't call any thing bad, but there are still gripes. Your version of Quirrell has no canon support and is more like an OC with the same name as Harry's ill-fated first Defense Professor. Even if Voldemort possessed this Quirrell, I cannot picture him becoming the quivering mess that is Canon!Quirrell. As OCs go though, he is a very entertaining and well rounded chaacte that this is only a mild huff thought of while grasping for criticism. The only real complaint is your tendency to have characters be the voice of the author when mentioning situations of previous books that you found the actions of foolish. And in the beginning you tended to cast Gryffindors as generally stupid, when they would often be better described as being foolish or rash. Although as the story progressed, you were truer to their qualities. The quality is not that of simple courage, but the courage to do what is right, no matter the consequences to yourself.

Looking to the future: How will the Sirius situation be resolved is the first question in my mind. Peter was not Scabbers so there goes his incentive to escape. You made it so the defenses included anti-Animagus potions so there goes his ability to escape. And he might even be guilty of the crime he was convicted for in this universe. So the question remains: will Sirius escape or will he rot in Azkaban until such time as Harry has enough power to destroy it? The next question is how many layers does Quirrell have? Is he an attractive evil person, a good person pretending to be like that, an evil person pretending to be... etc. Who killed Narcissa Malfoy and why did this difference between this universe and canon happen? What will SPHEW (an acronym I am not sure how to pronounce) do when dealing with the third floor corridor and will they actually meet someone in there by the universe working towards its full heroic potential? And finally: What the HELL is Harry going to do next?

In short form: great fic, I favorited it by the second chapter.

*scrolls up* This is without a doubt my longest review yet.
ARMH chapter 64 . 2/28/2011
Haha, that was great. I really loved the Matrix one. It was nice to see the note on top about bedtimes. There hasn't been one of those in a while and they are always very funny.
ARMH chapter 63 . 2/28/2011
That was quite a long chapter, especially considering that it was all Aftermaths. I really liked it though, and Harry seems to have grown through his trip to Azkaban.
loserthree chapter 1 . 2/28/2011

Happy birthday dear ,

Jester Of Doom chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Hey so I like the story a lot thus far, but thought I’d bring up two issues that had bugged me and some suggestions as to where I thought it may be fun to take things (if you haven’t already got it planned out to the extent where suggestions are worthless). Sorry it’s a bit long.

First off I just felt like pointing out that in the books squibs are rare non-magical children who are born to wizarding families, like Mr. Filch. So the genetics you describe would not actually work. But then again that might just be a quality of your alternate universe so…

There’s also the issue of him not going home. In the book his protection form Voldemort only lasted when he visited home at least once a year until he was an adult. It seems like it would possibly be more beneficial if they did like a yearly daytrip to his parents house with Order of the Phoenix guards. More importantly however I don’t think that the spell said the home he visited had to be the only one his family owned, so if his dad is a professor anyway he could probably wing a month per year to go and stay in a quickly built cottage on Hogwarts’ grounds and have Harry stay with them there for that month of summer.

I also thought of some things for Harry to explore in his studies. And ideas for things that would be helpful to him based on his experiences at this point in the story.

Back on the topic of genetics, if genes control your magic it would be interesting to see what happens if a wizard polyjuiced into a muggle or vice-versa, assuming that polyjuice chances genetics. It’d be an interesting way to make muggles live longer, or a way to make an anti-magic jail without dementors. Also a good way of getting trained scientist who could study magic.

So considering Harry’s first line of study had been what is required to make spells work, and since he expressed envy of it anyway, it would make a lot of sense if harry tried to learn how wandless wordless spells work. He tried different wand and word alterations so I’m surprised he didn’t consider investigating gestureless magic as it is a clear exception to the otherwise apparent rule.

Also considering his penchant for using muggle devices, and now has the concept that his enemies may copy him and use them as well, it would make a lot of sense for him to try to determine why technology doesn’t work in places like Hogwarts. Clearly a simple circuit works based off the car battery experience, it’d be interesting if he tested what limits of complexity are, or if things like chemistry are effected, and tried to work around them (like charming a laptop to work) or discover how to shut down technological devices.

It would also be kind of interesting if he looked into devices that detect magic, there must be something to detect underage magic, and tried to ascertain how that functioned. Because if you know how a detector of something functions there’s probably a good chance you will learn something about what you’re detecting. Like maybe magic all creates radiation he could learn to detect when it’s used or has some kind of wave or particle style properties he could begin to discover tricks concerning, like how to focus it or modulate it.

And on the topic of battle it would probably be very useful to any of the generals to begin enchanting objects for battle. I know in the books Fred and George started selling protective charm items, if they could cast charms that would maintain weak shields or the like it would really change combat. And if you can’t use muggle devices then at least he could perhaps enchant things to act like some devices he knows (like if his entire army enchanted a hoverboard since he cant use skateboards, especially useful if you can focus power like that). I’m also a little surprised Harry hasn’t looked into some kind of enchanted items to ward against mind altering spells considering he thinks about it enough to have set up passcodes and the like.

If you’re looking for more ways to spice up the battles to stress creativity you could also implement magic items to a limited extent. Certain items could be scattered around the battlefield to represent valuable strategic items, like a hard to reach warded strongroom holding a few disillusion cloaks or those compasses you used, or terrain features like stationary prismatic walls. Or they could have spending limits to buy from a list of pre-existing items before battles to allow armies to bring in certain potions or the like. Totally the kind of things I’d implement if running war games.

I realized Harry also hasn’t yet done his library indexing that he’d wanted to and considered that it would be cool if he got a portrait of himself with shelves from the library in the background of the picture. If he ever walked by a painting who was reading a book he’d possibly think of it. It’d be a nice way to collect a lot of books into one magic storage unit as well as gaining access to any other connected painting’s books, and then he could use the painting’s AI to search the books for him.

Also considering Harry has taken up weight training I was wondering if he’d consider the magical equivalent. He has that rock always on him, which probably is somewhat analogous to wearing weights all day in that it burns his magic. He might consider testing to see how much his magic grows over a normal week as compared to a week where he has several difficult transfigurations running at all times and it’s effects on both his transfiguration abilities and his non-transfiguration spells.

Lastly if you’re looking for other cool ways for him to develop his own unique powers I thought of the following. If occlumency is essentially the art of emulating a second mind over your own this might be able to allow harry to emulate his dark side while still staying warm, or vice versa. That however would probably be a bit bad for certain plot stuff at least until much later in the story. There is another trick I thought of however. If he ever does know his memory is going to be wiped he might be able to emulate a small subpocket of his mind to just contain a single brief bit of information, possibly on continuous loop so that it’s not a memory so much as an active thought process, or processed so deeply under occlumency shields that it escapes attempts to modify his memory, and is later triggered by either thinking of his barrier or the phrase ‘I am a potato’ or something. Just the kind of thing to get exactly one important thought out when that’s what someone was trying to erase.

Whew, that was long. Please let me know if you like any of the ideas.
Goldrune09 chapter 18 . 2/27/2011
...My brain has officially turned into a pretzel now...
Goldrune09 chapter 17 . 2/27/2011
...now I'm REALLY confused...
Cheri chapter 5 . 2/27/2011
OMG i just had to drag myself back onto my chair, my stomach muscles havent got that good of a work out since i last did pilates... you are hilarious:)
Goldrune09 chapter 16 . 2/27/2011
You have succeeded at making a COMPLETELY OC version of prof. Quirrell.
Goldrune09 chapter 15 . 2/27/2011
so confused...
ARMH chapter 62 . 2/27/2011
Poor Harry. I almost thought (the first time around) that Dumbledore would surmise from their conversation that Harry went in but I guess not. If they wanted to be sure why didnt he just read Harry's mind? Snape could do it and Harry would still trust Dumbledore. It just seems like a more sure method. Maybe not though. How good an occlumens is harry anyway?
33,232 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,435 1,442 1,443 1,444 1445 1,446 1,447 1,448 1,455 .. Last Next »