Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
di chapter 11 . 5/1/2011
I was laughing so hard at the elf bit I peed a bit. Just thought I'd tell you how funny I find this, even though I loathe the HMS Harmony
Xzienne chapter 71 . 5/1/2011
So, I've just finished reading this whole story. As I apparently have a limit to how many characters I can write with, I shall keep this as brief as I can; this story was one of the most awesome things I have ever read. You took a much beloved childhood memory, broke it down to it's smallest component pieces, and coloured each one with the kind of mind I could just fall in love with if I knew ANYONE in real life like that.

So, without wanting to rant, and drivel like a moron, I can only say; thank you. Thank you for bringing this take on this story into the world.
Ken chapter 64 . 4/30/2011
A few more Omakes:

C-3PO and the Bayesian Update

"The odds of our survival are. . ."

"Threepio," Leia said, "stop it. How many times have our odds of survival been less than one in a thousand?"

"Counting this instance? One hundred sixty-three."

"And yet we keep surviving."

"Yes, Mistress Leia. The aggregate probability. . ."

"Rounds to zero given the number of significant digits. And yet, we're still here. Perhaps you could recalculate the odds, adding factors to account for the Falcon's modifications, Han's skill and Luke's Force abilities."

Threepio stared. How had he never considered that before? Incredibly obvious, in hindsight. He might not have Artoo's skills, but he could certainly make a rough estimate, based on the situations he had observed or been informed of, the difference in Master Han's reaction time, the improvements that had been made to the ship - minus, of course, its frequent unreliability - and the fact that, as Mistress Leia said, they were still alive. He did so, and re-ran the calculation.

"Never mind," he acknowledged. "Given the current crew complement of the Millenium Falcon, we are in no danger at all."

Ancient Israel and the Bloody Obvious Patterns (from an in-universe view of the Bible)

1. "We've been in the desert three months," Moses sighed, "and every month, like clockwork, some problem comes up, you all whine about it, and then we get a miracle. Parting the sea, manna, fresh water. I bet G-d comes through for us this time, too. So will you idiots please stop saying we'd have been better off staying in Egypt?"

2. "Look," said the new king of Judah, slamming the records of his ancestors and the judges who preceded them on the table, "every time we worship other gods, we get conquered; every time we go back to G-d, we win. Could this be any easier a decision?"

Real People Fiction and the Methods of Rationality

1. The Joint Chiefs of Staff stared at each other a long minute. Finally, one of them said, "Mister Vice President, do you have any idea how many catastrophic scenarios have at least a one percent chance of occurring?"

2. "Look," I tried to explain to my mother-in-law, "the churches run Bingo as a fundraiser. That is to say, they take in more money than they pay out. I don't even need to calculate the exact amounts to tell you the expected return of a bingo board is less than the cost. Feel free to go if you enjoy it, but please don't tell me your plan for paying off your credit card is to come here until you win the progressive; you'd be much better off to just keep the money."
109 chapter 67 . 4/30/2011
I love this chapter! I love the battles; I love what Draco is turning into. Can SPHEW have some action? They're turning into a bureaucracy with all this voting and stuff.
Acaykath chapter 71 . 4/30/2011
I am unsure whether to call you mad, or a genius for writing this story. There's actually a good possibility it could be both... It was quite hilarious and I look forward to see where it leads, especially if the story reaches second year and Luna's craziness becomes entwined with the chaos.
The Karlminion chapter 71 . 4/30/2011
Aww, cliffhanger! Not cool!

Otherwise, yeah, pretty badass.
ev chapter 1 . 4/30/2011
Petunia: "And Lily would tell me no, and make up the most ridiculous excuses, like the world would end if she were nice to her sister, or a centaur told her not to - the most ridiculous things, and I hated her for it."

Considering how Harry turned out, the world probably *is* ending soon!
PhilosphyNerd chapter 69 . 4/30/2011
Yay! I've found I know about a lot of the topics you write about, but not quite all. You're naming one of your upcoming chapters the Bystander Effect, right? I totally know what that is.. :D 3 Yay science and reason.
HiBob chapter 10 . 4/30/2011
It's been a fun read, so far. I like the fact that Harry is an obnoxious little twerp.
Marsupial Madness chapter 71 . 4/29/2011
I love this story. It makes me happy on my insides :P
someone chapter 4 . 4/29/2011
That. Was. Awsome.

I was going to wait until I got farther in before a review, but I just have to tell you that I LOVE your Harry. That was all rather slytherin of him. And Ravenclaw. And Gryfindor. I love him. :)
nohat chapter 61 . 4/29/2011
First let me say that this is the best fanfiction I have read. In fact it was what interested me in fanfiction to begin with. It's 2nd on my reading recommendation list. Probably my favorite quality is Harry's willingness to take the fantastic tools of the magical world to their full potential. The best example of this is probably using the time-turner to factor large numbers. The result: "DON'T MESS WITH TIME" is wonderfully terrifying and mysterious. It also has the advantage of explaining why Harry doesn't experiment more with time-turners. Still I think you've got a flaw in your time travel system (you've probably realized this, but I thought I would mention it... maybe you have an explanation).

There was another pause, and then Madam Bones's voice said, "I have information which I learned four hours into the future, Albus. Do you still want it?"

Albus paused -

(weighing, Minerva knew, the possibility that he might want to go back more than two hours from this instant; for you couldn't send information further back in time than six hours, not through any chain of Time-Turners)

Madam Bones has already conveyed information to Albus. The information that she got a message from the future. Any causal relationship between one person travelling from the future and another to the past would be information travelling through time, even if the channel was noisy enough to make it difficult to decipher what that information was. Since causal effects tend to propagate speedily (through the chaos of complex systems if not more directly), I doubt time-turners would function much at all.
Inoeth chapter 71 . 4/29/2011
interesting chapter. i hope you update soon
SaintNicholas119 chapter 6 . 4/29/2011
This is a pretty interesting and funny story. Good work!
Albernheit chapter 33 . 4/29/2011
"If he wasn't allowed to do this when he was older, Harry was just going to stay eleven forever."

And this is why everything, I think every time I read this sentence. Would be the third time now, I think.
34,064 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,451 1,458 1,459 1,460 1461 1,462 1,463 1,464 1,471 .. Last Next »