Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
VFR6 chapter 45 . 3/24/2011
What a badass boast near the end of the chapter! Sorry for reviewing this late and not at the start of the story, but with 11k reviews, this one review is quite insignificant isn't it?

Wow, in almost a year, and 70 chapters, you have 11k reviews, that is just beyond impossible, just to quote from tvtropes.

Anyway, I'll be marking this as a favourite and marked it for update notice. See ya!
anonymous chapter 6 . 3/23/2011
hmmm... Harry is getting progressively more manipulative; he's getting rather unlikable... and yet he's also somehow reminiscent of the Weasley twins. He gets very mischievous considering how rational, prudent, and pessimistic he considers himself to be. But I suppose if you were a really brilliant 10 year-old you would tend to mess with people. I liked the comparisons you made between Harry's behavior and that of a boy living under the stairs. Incidentally, adopted kids often respond, emotionally, in a way similar to abused children, even when they have spent most of their lives in loving homes- something to think about when considering why Harry reacts as he does (and I'm not just citing studies saying that: I have an adopted brother, and my mother runs a support group for good parents struggling with their kid's emotional difficulties stemming from adoption). I thought it might also be appropriate to reference Plato's metaphor of the cave when Harry talks about opening his eyes to the world around him after receiving his wand.
No Man chapter 3 . 3/23/2011
I'm loving smart Harry, and I particularly appreciate that you finally give McGonagall her chance to shine; she's one of the best characters in the HP series, but terribly underrated. Small note: I disliked that Harry resolves to call Voldemort "you know who." I realize that you are departing from Rowling's brave but rather irrational depiction of Harry, however I don't think that fearing the name Voldemort is particularly rational. Remember that Dumbledore, who is by all accounts a very rational man, also calls Voldemort by his real name (so does Hermione, eventually). I liked the substitution of books for broomsticks, being brought up as he was Harry certainly would have no fascination with sports. However if his Dad was still somewhat similar to canon James, then he might still be gifted at sports, despite his lack of interest in them. I'll be interested to see if you work that in.
DarkRavie chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
Caffeinated Star chapter 39 . 3/23/2011
So I've been reading. And I enjoy the story, even though sometimes the long extended explanations of science hurt my head because I've always disliked math and never really cared to learn the deep meanings of the universe through science. However, then I get to chapter 39. It's written wonderfully, as is most of the story, with a very complex plot.

I have quite a few problems with this chapter.

A) Dumbledore's character is even more completely out of character than it has been the whole entire storyline.

B) Some of Harry's reasoning seem to be off. Ex. "If people had souls there wouldn't be such thing as brain damage." Assuming there is a soul, the soul and the brain should be separate. They don't interfere. So you can have brain damage.

C) Science over love. Wow. Great morale here. Great. We're going to sacrifice everything - our friends, our family, potential friends, for knowledge. I don't know if you actually believe in this - in fact I sincerely doubt you do, and probably didn't mean for it to come across that way - but it's ridiculous. And not healthy. Without relationships, humans are nothing. Because without relationships there is frankly nothing worth living for. Except the knowledge. But there has to be a point where you reach your limit in knowledge. And that's where the other part comes in.

D) Harry seems to be making himself into a godlike creature. Sigh. Of course your Harry is completely OOC from cannon Harry because of his different circumstances. Still, you would think a scientist would realize you can't control the universe.

E) The whole immortality portion. OK, it's great to want everyone to live. But then you have a whole slew of problems: immortal dictators making people's lives terrible; overcrowding of the world; inability to make room for the new generation; inability to make those wonderful relationships because suddenly you realize they won't matter as much since life isn't short anymore. Selfishness brews.

I'm sure you've already gotten quite a few complaints. Actually, I know you did, but I need to put in my own opinion. I am going to continue reading, because, despite everything, it is rather well-plotted. And so, I bid you adieu.
Cantwait chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
Review

Yeah, I have the same problem. I wont even start doing anything if it's near that time, I'll just waste time from 9:45-10:20 (i'm on EST). I think an author's note would be nice as well, just to make it clear that this hasn't been forgotten or anything, but I'm holding out hope that the next chapter will be long, or followed closely by a few more.

On a side note, could avadakedavra be used to kill all of the bacteria in a sample of water to purify it? or to kill a virus without disturbing its structure so that it could be used in a vaccine?
Jay-F chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
This is an amazingly well constructed and consistent story. I Love the interactions between Harry, Hermione, and Draco. I really really hope that Quirell is actually Vodemort since that would pose a tremendous dilemma to Harry that I would love to see worked through. I am extremely impressed with how much you have managed to write in a year and hope you can maintain the same quality and quantity over the next year as well. I think my only true complaint is Dumbledore. I wish that he were less... stupid. I don’t mind him being wrong but he seems to have moments of true stupidity that I find unfortunate. Though I suppose it could be that he just does not care enough about some things to pay attention.

Thanks for writing,

Jay
Jay Schweikert chapter 45 . 3/23/2011
I've loved every chapter of your story, but this chapter just completely blew my mind. When I finished it, I had to just sit and let is process for several minutes, it was so overwhelming. I've finished through chapter 70 at this point, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store. I've also been sending this around to all of my friends who might be interested. Thanks so much for this incredible work.
Jonathan Graehl chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
I'm generally a fan. This chapter seems to fall into the trap of "plucky young hero(ine) has plucky dreams, with the loving approval of wise ancients". There's a lot of talking about things that are supposed to be significant. We're supposed to care because we see that the adults care. It's warm-hearted rather than obnoxious, but I hope we don't luxuriate in it too much without actually seeing some meaningful conflict or sacrifice.
Marc Coram chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
This... This is AWESOME. I've only read the first page, but that was great! It's great on many levels. Let's see: there's the amusement of its relationship to HP which juxtaposes it against pleasant mindlessness (I enjoyed HP), then there's the reference to Feynman (always a plus), but the way it so sharply embodies/caricature intellectualism and emotionalism and emboldens Harry Potter of all people to defend HONEST empiricism, gives the expected shame and then the unexpected spark of scientific discovery on the making. That's just AWESOME.
The Karlminion chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
You know, for a while it wasn't very funny and I didn't get most of it. But then I read this, and it was funny again and I think I got it.

I should also confess that I learn through humor best; if it's not funny I don't recall it very well.

-Karl
Review chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
I, on the other hand, do not feel bad in the slightest for complaining about lack of updates.

There is a particular danger of absorbing content for free online, and that is the growth of a feeling of entitlement. Because your work on your book is, minute for minute, more likely to demonstrably return monetary value, it is reasonable to focus your attention on that project. The actual work of coding an AI is also, depending on one's estimation of the probability of your success, a worthy goal. However, radical shifts in lifestyle and distribution of power among intelligent agents like the Singularity you expect to cause (or at least catalyze) via FAI are notoriously difficult to predict. The most common timetable I've seen for the Singularity is "if we're lucky, in our lifetime."

In the mean time, you've got a third public project on which to work, which has gained some mainstream recognition. Not all of your readers are futurists, let alone Singularitarians. Leaving MoR unfinished would offer a negative point for the "impression of rationality" column in their minds. This is a problem if you widen the scope of your work beyond "coding AI" to "improving the world."

Leaving this fic undisturbed for the same length of time as your hiatus is damaging to the reputation of rationality itself. Even an author's note suggesting that there will not be an update for another two weeks would be considerate; as it is, I check MoR every night at 7:05, 7:15 and 7:20 Pacific time, just in case your update is a little off the hour mark.

Even if you can't offer content, some sort of update would be the professional thing to do, especially since you've taken the position of "Champion of Rationality."
Almaseti chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
It's okay that Tracey didn't do the insane laughter. I did it for her.
CantWait chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
Ugh, every time I get annoyed about the lack of an update I feel terrible for hoping you're spending time writing and not trying to save the world. One good thing about these gaps is that i've finally dived head first into the sequences. I'm really loving them and the whole Less Wrong community, and I'm hoping to join the NYC Less Wrong Community when I go to college in a year and a half (crossing my fingers for columbia). I think you should include a link in your author's notes to your other fiction. I've only read Sword of Good but I actually really liked it, despite how much story space was left out and how not-happy the ending was. Oh yeah, this is a review, so um, this story is awesome and I can't wait until the story refocuses on Harry.
Phoenixstar117 chapter 5 . 3/22/2011
I have never laughed so hard ever when reading fanfiction. This is PURE HUMOR! I LOVE IT. I'm afraid that most of what I write(haven't published any yet) and read is very angsty. Maybe laughing a bit here will help me. This work is genius.
33,669 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,451 1,458 1,459 1,460 1461 1,462 1,463 1,464 1,471 .. Last Next »