Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Heidinanookie chapter 59 . 11/20/2010
ha! Just like I said! What about aerodynamics and stuff? And how the hell is Harry able to hold his own weight on the broom if he's pulling 4 G's? I mean, he weighs maybe... 40 kilos and now he has to hold 160! Oh. Magic. I get it.

Well, now I'm curious how Dumbledore will get Harry out of this fix...

Dwst chapter 51 . 11/20/2010
UNFAIR - a most Slytherin trick. This chapter assumes knowledge of the REAL H Potter stories, and achieves its impact by predicting the reader's adoption of one of those interminably demonstrated logical fallacies. One might come away from reading the last sentence of the chapter becoming convinced that there were layers of author's intent beyond telling a well-crafted story. If projected over the whole of the tale, the burgeoning sense of required rational analysis could complicate the discerning reader's state most alarmingly.
manonairs chapter 59 . 11/20/2010
LOL nice reference to Dragon Ball Z in the authors note at the start. love that line!

ooh so i like dumblerdore's theory on whether it is quirell doing the dirty, or perhaps harry, though he seems doubtly so far...once he goes back (and i assume gets mcgonagall to contact harry?) in time, will realise things are pretty dodgy!

great job can't wait for the next one!
w chapter 13 . 11/19/2010
Where was I? I think here.

Good things:

There's pretty nice meta thingie going on, just as you can play the game only once, you can only be surprised by reading its explanation only once.

I'd add some text adventure games reference too if I could write as well as the author otherwise :).

Nice msgs from himself. The entire portrait subplot feels somewhat superfluous, though. Though the conversation with the metaphor lady was fun.

Bookshelves in the green room.

The entire confrontation. Drayage costs and surrealism. It's a pity Harry lost a bit of surreal skills further down the story.

Don't worry too much about people thinking you stopped the story. If it takes time to get quality stuff, it takes time.
The Monster chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
If this really is the end of the book, shouldn't it say, you know...

or something similar that would let us know to take the damned RSS feed out of our readers?

Speaking of which, wouldn't Less Wrong REMOVE the RSS feed if there's to be no more to bloody FEED us?

All I can say is if there's any truth to it, it's really bad form to just leave it hang like this.
LessTropes chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
If you wonder how could a small boy design and build a rocket that actually works, remember: A Wizard Did It!
Person chapter 32 . 11/19/2010
Evilshroom: It's a matter of Old Style vs. New Style.
Evilshroom chapter 32 . 11/19/2010
Was waiting to finish the story before submitting a review, and I likely still will, but I need to say this before I forget-

Newton's birthday was January 4th, not December 25th. Sharing this birthday, I would know. Unless I am incorrect in my conceptions. In which case, feel free to correct me in a manner most superior and haughty. I would deserve it.
TC chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
I wonder if Harry's Quirrell Christmas wish was in fact to get Bellatrix out?
Less Wrong chapter 1 . 11/19/2010
This is NOT the end. When you get to the end you will know it. Thank you.
reeferx chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
I hear that this is actually the end of the book. Lesswrong wants to end things on a high note and a cliffhanger has certain rationalistic significance. So big hand for lesswrong. That's all folks.
Mary Pseud chapter 46 . 11/19/2010
What you have done with the characters and the universe of Harry Potter is amazing, and I tip my hat to you. I wish that I could write as well (and as fast!) as you do. I have every intention of following this story through to the end, with full faith that you will not whip out a 'happy ending' unless it can be logically found. Thank you!
J-Kid chapter 57 . 11/18/2010

And I repeat: woah.

I'm glad I saved reading this fic for the last six chapters or so, which means I got to read this all in one chunk. Harry's in a desperate situation, and I knew it would go from bad to worse as soon as the Professor mentioned Bellatrix. That Harry's even willing to pretend to be Voldemort is . . . . yeah.

At least Harry didn't inadvertently agree by a magic oath to become a Death Eater and overthrow the corrupt government. :-/ THAT would have been bad, too.

Now I'm extremely curious as to where this fic will go from here.
Arielrondil chapter 57 . 11/18/2010
While I love the method of escape, I don't like the way so much of the action is described in such a vague way in an attempt to heighten the drama of the scene. There is no excuse not to say 'Harry then drew his broomstick from his pouch and started gluing it to the metallic device with an exhuast nozzle on the end'.

Avoiding this unnecessary suspense would also make it much easier to describe Harry's thought processes, and make it more excusable when Quirrell effectively redoes all of Harry's work.
Melverne chapter 8 . 11/18/2010
That was an interesting meeting between two great minds. Hermoine is definitely what I would call book smart but Harry is a genius. He is definitely a thinker and it looks like he can teach Hermoine to be one too. If she gets over her quirk of blindly trusting authority figures and believing everything she reads the two of them will be a nightmare for Hogwarts.

31,001 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,451 1,458 1,459 1,460 1461 1,462 1,463 1,464 1,471 .. Last Next »