Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
X chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
I noticed what I believe is a typo in this line: "Harry took a piece of parchment (not paper) out of his parch". I think the last word should have been "pouch".

Also, I would like to note that the Slytherin dungeon entrance does not have a portrait like the Gryffindor one does. It just has a blank wall that you say a password to. Maybe this is just a departure from canon, though.

Otherwise, I thought it was a good chapter.
Kutta chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
Great chapter
WeatherWatch chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
This continues to astound me. Gosh :D Fawkes' decision at the end there was interesting!

Congratulations on your absolutely unique, fabulous and thought-provoking fanfiction. It's a beauty.
phoebe turner chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
i loved it!
Dragon Man 180 chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
I can just imagine the stares Harry will be getting as he walks along with Fawkes on his shoulder, especially if they're having a conversation. Now, just to make a perfectly awesome scene wierder, how about if Harry was leading a blindfolded Basilisk through the school with Fawkes on his shoulder at the end of second year? In third year, add Buckbeack to Harry's group of pets. In Fourth, uh... that little model dragon that seems to be alive and miniature. Fifth year... a young Thestral that doubles as a mount. Sixth year... not sure.
PrincessVamp chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Amazing. You had me holding my breath. And I'm kind of confused, but in a good way. I can't wait to read the rest!
WB chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Despite his skills as a rationalist, Harry is still an eleven year old boy who has just been fairly traumatized. Too much has been asked of him this day (Minerva doesn't know the half of it). It's entirely human that emotions would get the better of him, that his internal inner observer would not operate at peak performance. A "normal" child would be a right mess.

No constructive criticism from me as yet, but the month-long hiatus will probably compel me to go back and reread (and review) the story.
Peanuckle chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
I think your use of the Patronus as a kind of Ultimate Good is a fantastic literary device. The wizarding world is a gray place at best, and entities of pure goodness should rightfully be angry at it.

Whenever you plan to do it, I eagerly await the chapter where Harry destroys Azkaban and the dementors. With or without the government's sanction.
Work Designer chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Beautiful, beautiful chapter.

Random thoughts

Nice resolution to Harry's dilemma, Bulstrode is a girl clearly in love with sickels more than her sleep schedule.

Harry, Poor boy, holed up in hogwarts until the age of 17. I do wonder what Michael would do in or near hogwarts, he can't even see magic stuff. Wonder if there were some kind of magic sunglasses he could wear that would show him around.

Dumbledore might have burnt Narcissa. The chances have increased since this conversation. This leaves Harry very little choice.

I honestly wonder what is left to wind up before your break. But knowing your writing for the last 61 chapters, there will be something. Please have Hermione or Draco do something in the last chapter.
Rosa Mundi chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Wow. Just... wow. That was intense. And there's still a chapter to go? I am a very happy reader.
Lady of the Hunt chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Wow. Powerful chapter.
guardian00X chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
At this point it's probably pointless to repeat that I like the story.

I wonder what it was that changed Dumbledore from the original story to the MoR version? The O-Dumbledore seemed to think that to hecome a hero one would need to test himself, go on a journey, a quest, and grow stronger from it (O-D let Harry get into all kinds of situations and gave the final quest of finding the hollows - damn, now i have a mental image of Dumbledore with a golden exclamation mark over his head (questgiver)). MoR-Dumbledore seems to think that the journey to become a hero is not needed and Harry is a hero because a prophecy has said he is and all he needs is to learn more magic (hmm, would Frodo have had the strenght to get as far as he did without the journey to Rivendell?).

Btw, Fawkes is awesome.
chibiaries chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
Ouch.

This chapter just hurt, like a punch to the gut. But in a good way. My mind is utterly stunned by all the emotional and ethical ramifications from this chapter, so it was really really really well done.

chibiaries
fontgoddess chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
"'And it is possible to oppose the will of your fellows openly or in secret, without hating them, without declaring them evil and enemy!'"

This might be one of the most important things you've said in the whole story.

This may be one of the most important things to say in any story nowadays.

This is exactly the counterpoint we needed to Quirrel's cynicism regarding human/wizard cruelty, and exactly the character we needed to hear it from.

This chapter did a really good job of dealing with some of the sorrow and tension created in this sequence without resolving so much that the story loses momentum. Thank you so much for giving us some lighter moments inside McGonagall's head, Snape's snark, and a more human face on Dumbledore. Thank you also for making Dumbledore a good tactician (better than cannon!Dumbledore and Gandalf!). I am now wondering about the rationalist!LotR…

And hells yeah to The Dark is Rising reference.
shamerella chapter 62 . 11/27/2010
When I first discovered your fan-fiction you were up to chapter 50, I downloaded the ~800 page pdf and read it in a day. From the beginning it was good, all the rationality business was beautiful and so unfortunately absent in practically anything I've read before! I feel enlightened after every chapter, but also intensely curious! Your chapters leave me contemplating the implications for hours. There is so much mystery to the story too, I love how it hasn't been revealed for sure that whether Quirrell is You-Know-Who. You have a command of writing that keeps my attention similarly to Orson Scott Card. There is so much more to this story than the base that J.K. Rowling provides. Your Harry is very well crafted, you create a powerful protagonist who the reader can still empathize with! In contrast to the Wastelands of Time fanfic you recommended whose characters made me feel frantic and frenzied by the time I finished it, your characters are balanced and pleasant the entire time. All I can say is, I love it! You have a real talent for character development! You should absolutely write your own fiction! Never Stop!
32,140 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,495 1,502 1,503 1,504 1505 1,506 1,507 1,508 1,515 .. Last Next »