Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Great chapter
Kutta chapter 24 . 10/10/2010
Great chapter
showstopper573 chapter 49 . 10/10/2010
since i just read this thru till the current update without reviewing i will just make up by leaving a review per chapter and and review wenever i feel da urge to go back and reread a chapter. excellent story btw i like the character flaws being passibly realistic in the context they are portrayed in
Ossindie chapter 49 . 10/10/2010
I wanted to answer the whole Amanda Knox issue you brought up in your profile page comments, since I currently cannot join the website and answer there.

With no prior knowledge of the case except remembering that I heard vaguely about an American student charged with murder in Italy an hour and a half ago, I can now safely say I have an above average knowledge of the case. I even read the relevant parts of the evidence log book linked on the Guilty page in Italian. I now have a notebook with about 10 pages filled with observations about evidence, timelines and various other details.

I came to the conclusion that the probability of Knox having committed the murder is somewhere in the range of 1%. I am not equally sure about Sollecito, and put the probability of him having committed the murder in the 5-10% range (which still isn't enough for a conviction, but merely further investigation of Sollecito's claims and evidence - flimsy as it may be). I am a 100% sure that Guede murdered Kercher (regardless of the fact that he may have had help - though I don't see how that could have been Sollecito, but I leave that one open to interpretation).

The only problematic aspect of my interpretation was, in the beginning, the fear that I may have been influenced by your assertion of Knox' innocence. However, reading through the evidence, the trial and character descriptions of both Knox and Sollecito, I now believe your assertion has not swayed my opinion in any significant way which would impair the objectivity of my analysis and proposed conclusion.

Other than that, great new chapter. I'll keep it at that.
rockindownthehighway chapter 49 . 10/10/2010
loved this chapter.

awesome awesome awesome, harry and quirrel's interactions are just on another level entirely
Paganimagus chapter 17 . 10/9/2010
"Headmaster sounds so formal. Just call me Heh for short."

...!

Where do you come up with these lines?

I want a map detailing how to go there
Shaidar Haran chapter 47 . 10/9/2010
Epic story. In some ways it's comparable with "Shinji and Warhammer 40k"
Paganimagus chapter 15 . 10/9/2010
Rereading some bits I thought this really deserved another review.

"Harry had been *gypped*. He wanted to write someone and demand a *refund* on his dark side which clearly *ought* to have irresistable magical power but had turned out to be *defective*."

I love that bit, its just snazzy. A genre savvy rationalist hero is made complete by these kind of jokes.

And then-

"Hermione's eyes lit up with a terrible light of helpfulness and something in the back of Harry's brain screamed in desperate humiliation."

It says so much about Harry and characterises him SO well, to call it 'a terrible light of helpfulness'.

Again- snazzy
SingularOp chapter 49 . 10/9/2010
Great last two chapters. The start of 48 was hilarious and 49 really moved the plot forward. Looking forward to more :-)
w chapter 7 . 10/9/2010
I forgot to mention - I also recollected Petunia as fat and I thought that way was better in chapter 1. And who is to say that Petunia wasn't fat pre-canon-HP too? :)

Good things:

Running makeup with trembling hand - moving.

Ran... walk - funny.

I bought you enough books.

Go jump in a lake - moving too. Very nice description of harry's relations with his parents. Shouldn't they get worried over Quirrell during the Christmas break?

A very good suggestion... worse.

Science Fair Project - funny. And _very_ good you don't reveal anything more.

Elephant.

Death to air quality.

Luggage.

Ron-Harry interaction, including Quidditch.

"(now containing his useless headband, though it didn't really belong there)" this feels superfluous.

Draco-Harry. Really, altogether this chapter is excellent too.

Comed-tea.

Murder conversation. (b) BTW is something he should realize when laughing with Quirrell too.

Note to self: Overthrow government of magical Britain at earliest convenience.

No, the world would have been a very different place indeed, if it took an evil mutant to say what Draco had said. It was very simple, very human, it was the default if nothing else intervened. Yes. Kudos for putting this here too. It'd be in character if Harry thought about Hume too.

Aren't we a clever little serpent. Eleven years old and already coaxing your prey from hiding. Shouldn't he think about the irony of Quirrell being a serpent Animagus.

Harry had inherited the nigh-magical Verres ability to remember where all his books were, even after seeing them just once ... connection. So nice.

If only one picture were to survive.

Severus Snape? Still don't get this answer, even after 42 more chapters :)
The French Dark Lord chapter 49 . 10/9/2010
qUITE INTERESTING qUIRREL BEING AN Animagus.
WB chapter 49 . 10/9/2010
Quirrel as you write him may be my favorite character of the story. Much more intriguing and in-depth than the Quirrel of canon.

The only thing that bothers me is why Harry ignores the feeling of doom. It doesn't make sense. I suggest that it be addressed in one of the next chapters.

One reviewer wondered what affliction Quirrelmort had that would make him like a zombie when not engaged. Gave me a funny idea comparing Quirrel to the Sorting Hat...
OttL chapter 49 . 10/9/2010
So, how does the parseltongueslytherin descendant thing work again? Did Sazar Slytherin actually come up with talking to snakes power? It can't be so I suppose I'm missing something. But then how could he ensure some other parseltongue found out? Like Dumbledore said he knew other parseltongues. Wasn't tom's mother's family the last descendants? There could be some cousins out there I guess but still if all you need to do it talk to it.

Bah, the answer is just 'magic' isn't it? :(
loserthree chapter 3 . 10/9/2010
HPEV meets Quirrell for the first time, in this chapter.

Is it possible that Harry does not have a 'dark side' before this? Did the 'cold' or whatever only kick in when Voldemort-in-possession-of-Quirrell did something subtle to HPEV?

Since everything is already in a tumult, it's possible HPEV's parents would not have noticed anything different. And no one else knew HPEV well enough to notice a change. Maybe something would have been noticed over the Holiday Break, but maybe not.

Or has the 'dark side' always been with him, based on his existing connection to Voldemort?
twistyguru chapter 49 . 10/9/2010
Intriguing.

Now, is the basilisk still alive in the Chamber, or not?

Rule 12 notwithstanding, a creature of that much potential power-that only you can speak with-might be the exception to the rule. Especially as parseltongue is such a rare gift...

I'm waiting for the revelation that Voldemort is Quirrell's puppeteer, and how Harry reacts to that.
30,351 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,495 1,502 1,503 1,504 1505 1,506 1,507 1,508 1,515 .. Last Next »