Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Guest chapter 1 . 10/27/2010
Every time someone types "Hermoine" instead of "Hermione" I want to strangle said someone. Much like every time someone types "Rouge" instead of "Rogue".

And now you won't avoid seeing it too.
Tegid chapter 54 . 10/27/2010
Re: your author's notes on Harry being stupid.

Although unbelievable fiction is bad fiction, even if realistic, I think it is good that you have us challenge our background concepts in something as simple as 'Harry shouldn't be rescuing Bellatrix','Bellatrix is bad', etc., due to the nature of this fanfic (introducing and explaining rationality concepts and methods).

It's not good as a general thing, but I like it in this case and I think you should add it as a permanent author note to one of these chapters.

Besides this, I want to say I really like your work.

And also, that when I read about the rescue I /knew/ it was going to be B., but I still hoped it would be Sirius. I'm sad. It's funny how even if I now don't really like the whole Sirius thing in the books, reading it as a teenager made me so emotionally attached to it.
NamuNamu chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
This is riveting.
t-shirt chapter 2 . 10/27/2010
Yay! I loved all that maths and science jabber! I've always had such an issue with that and I'm so glad you've addressed it :)
LNick chapter 54 . 10/27/2010
Excellent job LessWrong! This an amazing work, congratulations. I joined in the obsession around chapter 30, and am so glad I did. I laugh, I think, I must have more!

I had the feeling as more and more chapters went on that the tone was shifting, and newer chapters just didn't have the magic that the early chapters do. This culminates in the yaoi chapters (which I don't enjoy and are easily the worst chapters so far), but after that the excellence is back in full force! So I expect that wherever the story goes we're headed in a direction that leads to awesome.

My thoughts on finishing Ch. 54 "Damn, Potter. You screwed the pooch now." Looking forward to what happens next!
Kai Dragoon chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
Dragonlance reference heh, brings back memories of another favorite book series.
Vltsing chapter 54 . 10/27/2010

What was the 'flux of magic' buildup all about? What did Quirrell do before tossing his wand and transforming? Did the 'spirit' of Voldemort decide to take leave of polyjuiced Quirrell (explaining the snakes lack of motion before being stunned)? Was he even using polyjuice to become the bearded man, or could he have been possessing him instead? (That's one way of explaining his intricate magic, the other is his ridiculous skill.) Was the wand thrown to Bellatrix? Harry seemed to have forgotten about her in the last moments of the scene.

Those questions are based on the assumption that Quirrell is Voldemort, which hasn't been confirmed, or has it? (There's no way of reading old Author's Notes if you started reading this story relatively recently, is there?)

This is my first review, but I'm sure I hardly need to mention how engrossed I am in this story.
Cubist chapter 54 . 10/27/2010
Some people are wondering how Quirrelmort could be so stupid as to ask Harry to rescue a psychopath from Azkaban.

Answer: Quirrelmort is *not* stupid. And as Harry himself has noted, Quirrel is *very* controlled - whenever QUirrel hurts/maims/kills someone, he knows *exactly and precisely* what he's doing. And let's not forget that Quirrelmort has a habit of making improbable deductions *that turn out to be RIGHT*.

I think *everything* about this Azkaban invasion ended up working *exactly* the way Quirrelmort foresaw, *exactly* the way Quirrelmort *wanted* it to. If this is correct, it follows that Quirrelmort *wanted* Harry to fall victim to a Dementor's kiss. Why? Not sure. Quirrelmort *did* see what happened to Harry the first time the kid was Demented... I think Quirrelmort *wanted* THAT to happen, too - and I further think he was unpleasantly surprised when Hermoine managed to bring Harry back to sanity. Harry's Demented self (his Dark Side given ascendancy over every other part of him?) has all the power without any of those inconvenient ethical scruples getting in the way, after all...
Sara Wolfe chapter 54 . 10/26/2010
Okay, there's no way that this review is going to do your story justice, but I've got to give it a try.

This story is amazing. I was hooked from the first sentence, and I've stayed that way for all 54 chapters.

I love the way you write Harry, so mature and rational, but I constantly have to remind myself that he's still only eleven and in his first year. And that makes the parts where he acts his age, or acts naive, even more shocking. Like his unthinking trust of Quirrell, almost blinding him, since he never even questioned the sanity of freeing a convicted murderer from Azkaban.

I am curious as all get-out about Quirrell. I've seen some reviewers speculating that Quirrell is possessed by Voldemort, and while I can certainly see the evidence, I can also see the opposite side, that Quirrell is just an overly-concerned Defense teacher trying to protect Harry the best he can. I'm dying to find out where Quirrell's loyalties really stand.

I also love how you developed the secondary characters. Hermione's friendly rivalry with Harry that turns deeper, Draco's tentative friendship/manipulation, McGonagall's protectiveness, and Dumbledore's insanity.

I love your re-imagining of Harry Potter so far, and I can't wait to see where you take it, next.
power2corrupt chapter 54 . 10/26/2010
Absolutely bloody phenomenal.
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 54 . 10/26/2010
Well damn; everything just spiralled out of control, didn't it? To be fair Quirrel really should've known better than to try kill someone under observation of the one person who has ALREADY TOLD HIM that his goal is to make sure NO ONE ever has to die. In fact that little fact should be near the front of his mind since that's pretty much the premise behind the VERY Patronis PROTECTING them. *eyeroll at Quirrel*

Still - hectic chapter. (This is continuously a great story.)
The Wind God chapter 39 . 10/26/2010
Yet another absolutely brilliant chapter. Thank you.
elej chapter 54 . 10/26/2010
did the innocent!bellatrix come out of nowhere or did you go back and change someting? (or did i forget?)
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 53 . 10/26/2010
Ha ha - loved the last line.

(What I think I know and how I think I know it: If a perfect crime leaves no evidence than there is no perfect crime because a crime without evidence left can only be commited by commiting no crime. But if a perfect crime is just getting away with it with no suspicions following you, then sure it's possible.)
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 51 . 10/26/2010
*flat what*

Though I AM glad - would've broken the suspended belief if it had been had been her cousin.
30,996 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,496 1,503 1,504 1,505 1506 1,507 1,508 1,509 1,516 .. Last Next »