Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
firedraygon chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Very happy to see this updating again! I hope you had a lovely holiday break. Fantastic chapter - I like the explanation for cynicism. And the tentative plan for getting Harry out of Hogwarts? I hope it happens, haha. Please write more soon!

~fd97
Tangshou chapter 13 . 1/3/2011
This chapter was cool. It was actually quite disturbing for me the first time. Maybe there's a hint about my own psychology there...
Tangshou chapter 12 . 1/3/2011
So nice to meet Quirrel.

He says the line:

"I assure you, that doom is not to be my incompetence."

I think there's a mistake in there. Maybe 'due to my incompetence,'?
Tangshou chapter 11 . 1/3/2011
Nice addition. I like to see alternatives that were explored.
Tangshou chapter 10 . 1/3/2011
This chapter is just awesome. There are a lot of great quotes too. What I'm most impressed with is that this is what an honest discussion with yourself would be like. At least if one half of you is honest.
Tangshou chapter 9 . 1/3/2011
I really hope someone makes a music video of that scene.
Tangshou chapter 8 . 1/3/2011
"PC or NPC, that is the question?"

"I didn't say you said you were Hermione Granger, I just said you were Hermione Granger."

There's more great parts but I won't bother you with more of your own writing.
Tangshou chapter 7 . 1/3/2011
I promised a review for every chapter, but only made it thru ch 6. Here's the next round.

Not much to say about this one. A good, solid chapter. Love the Comed-Tea and the things you do with it in the coming chapters.
badkidoh chapter 64 . 1/3/2011
Well I liked this chapter.

The L.O.T.R. prat was great and the Twilight part very amusing as were the others parts.
Tangshou chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Welcome back.

It's an obvious setup for Voldemort's graveyard return... or is it a setup for readers. There's something fishy about Voldemort's first 'death'; maybe Quirrelmort really does want Harry to become ruler.
Phillip chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
This story is both an excellent explanation and advertisement of rationalism, and an intriguing, well thought out story with engaging characters. Speaking as someone who has read over a book a week since middle school, you have the skill of a professional.

Of course, no review is complete without giving tips for improvement. You tend to write in shorter story arcs, which works well for a serialized story like this one but can hurt the larger arc of the story. Just something to be aware of.

Thank you for many enjoyable hours spent reading.
anon chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
You know-

(-and don't get me wrong, I love this fic, but-)

-it's of course correct and all right to point out that it's harder in real life not to do things that you always thought people in stories were idiots to do, and all-

-but you know, I'd still really like to see Harry decide at some point that he's not going to help Quirrell compound the mess any further, and if that moment keeps on not coming, that's going to make it. Harder. To cheer.

[There must be some TV trope for being denied a foreshadowed moment of awesome, right?]
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
You are delightfully twisted. Unfortunately you actually USE chapter breaks so on occasion you update more than one chapter at a time. That becomes very annoying when the site automatically sends you to the last of these new chapters. I have since learned to click on chapter 1 and then scroll down and tell I see the last chapter I remembered reading and the reread it and continue from there.
Alex Mennen chapter 64 . 1/3/2011
Rather embarrassingly, I somehow hadn't noticed that gaping flaw in LOTR before. Nice mini-fanfic. My only complaint is that Elrond couldn't have known that Isildur would die because of the ring, but the main point surrounding that is still good.

Someone needs to actually write these. Of course, Alicorn is currently doing a very good job of writing rational Twilight.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
"he had decided that he would reveal to Professor Quirrell only that the Headmaster believed that; and not say anything about the prophecy which had set Voldemort on Harry's parents, nor that the Headmaster was reconstituting the Order of the Phoenix... it was a risk, a significant risk, but Harry needed an ally in this."

Except for since Quirrel is Voldemort, he already knows about the prophecy and knows enough about Dumbledore to realize that Dumbledore will reconstitute the Order now. Harry told him the only piece of info he didn't know. Same with the Santa Claus notes, if Quirrel is the one writing them... ah, Harry thinks he's being clever but he's just playing into Quirrel's hands. Especially if he participates in the fake second killing of Voldemort...how would they set that up convincingly anyway?
32,809 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,497 1,504 1,505 1,506 1507 1,508 1,509 1,510 1,517 .. Last Next »