Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
SUCH A GOOD BEGINNING. I love that Harry has a far far better family now. He deserves a better childhood than the one he got stuck with. And yet, he still feels the need to prove himself to his Professor father. Adults so often treat children and teens this way, with little respect. I'm so intrigued already. And yeah! Dumbles should have sent someone to Harry. I'd like to hear JK's rationale behind that one. (ummm plot not logic) Also, if Harry was supposed to have been told about the wizarding world by Petunia, why did Ms Figg keep her squid status secret until book 5? She could have been helping him learn about the wizarding world for years!
Greg chapter 122 . 3/16
WTFs:
1: You started messing with canon WRT Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew back in chapter 7. It's been a point brought up multiple times since then, as late as chapter 119. And no resolution? No "Something to Protect, Sirius Black"? No paragraph of thought by Harry on the things he got wrong on that one, and the fact that "makes sense" ! "true"?

2: What was the destruction of the pet rock about? Why in the world did you make that up, only to have it not mean anything?

3: Having Hermione swear an Unbreakable Oath is a really bad idea, and nothing Harry swore requires him to have her do that (no obligation for positive action). He is bound. Having her not bound leaves her as a free actor, available when necessary.

Egoboo
1: Other than your decision to not fire a bunch of the guns you placed on the wall, and your hideously bad decision to post that "final exam threat", this was a good story. I enjoyed reading it, and now that it's over, and Hermione is back, I will recommend it to other people.

Lord Tangerine chapter 122 . 3/15
That was awesome! Thanks for your hard work and bringing enjoyment to so many readers.

You should totally write another story with a Rationalist! main character - it's be hugely successful. Maybe try a different fandom this time... maybe Buffyverse, Fate/Stay Night, or Bleach perhaps?
Spidey-phd chapter 122 . 3/15
Death is not an event in life. We do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.

Ludwig Wittgenstein
75th chapter 108 . 3/15
So, I think my guess is that the "You're welcome" I owe you is not for anything that appears in the story itself. But if it *is*, Chapter 108 is my best candidate. And if you still won't say, that's fine, too.
KOTORgeek13 chapter 8 . 3/15
This story... There are no adjectives to describe it. That's a good thing tho. Harry x Hermione!
LauraDragon chapter 38 . 3/15
And, how many times have you heard Draco shriek in horror, exactly?
Your.Worst.Nightmare.1090 chapter 24 . 3/15
...death note?
TheQuietMouse chapter 5 . 3/15
I had to join Madam Malkins and her assistants at the end there.
Ragez chapter 122 . 3/15
Amazing work!
donnieZizzle chapter 122 . 3/15
So, this story was very powerful for me, and reading a few of the chapters were the first time I've cried reading a book in a long time. That said, this ending was weak, and felt like a cop out. I felt very personally connected to the story and the character's struggle to bring structure to his world, to battle back death, and in the end there was no resolution, only the promise that it would, maybe, even probably, be resolved soon. The story had me until literally this last chapter, and I'll remember it fondly even if it didn't end in a satisfying resolution.
Aaron Dixon chapter 122 . 3/15
This is...one of the best things I have ever read in my life. This story has put me through so many emotions, it has kept me going at hard times, it has introduced a new way of thinking to me. Everyone and everything that has gone into this story has my utmost and everlasting respect and thanks. Mr. Yudkowsky, I will follow your works for the rest of my days.
Now excuse me, I'm going to go read it all over again, from chapter one.
C chapter 122 . 3/15
Overall: Most of it was very good, but not nearly as great as some people (including the author) seem to think. (The author noted at some point that your model of a smart person can't be smarter than you - and perhaps he ran into this difficulty when attempting to portray multiple super-intelligent characters.) Very, very long, which some people will think is good and some people will think is bad. It was probably at its best in the middle chapters with the day-to-day life at Hogwarts and the armies, and at its worst, unfortunately, at the last 20% or so.

Negative points for the author's solution being simultaneously obvious, impossible, and needlessly fatal. (Although maybe that last point is just HJPEV's "killing intent" manifesting itself again.) Also negative points for changing the way an Unbreakable Vow works at the last second - in canon it doesn't force you to do anything, it just kills you if you break it. (I won't even ask why or how, in this story, sustaining the vow is a permanent magical drain on the caster, yet it continues after the caster is dead.)

Negative infinity points for insisting on reviews in order to even deign to show us the last chapters - seriously, that's not acceptable on multiple levels (it's not just the arrogance that the author would purposely give a bad ending if he deemed the readership unworthy, it's also artificially inflating the review count with things that are by no means reviews) and I will very likely never read anything by this author again because of that. And I likely otherwise would have.
Julia Ba chapter 8 . 3/15
This story is absolutely brilliant! I'm only at chapter 8 here but the more I read the more amazing it gets. Thank you for the pleasure and I'll review later on.
Rangalang chapter 114 . 3/15
pffffft I just realised Harry basically has the same powers as Donflamingo from One Piece XD
29,806 | « Prev Page 1 .. 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 .. Last Next »