Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
DaveC chapter 6 . 9/19
Harry seems a bit up his own backside,and doesn't suit his character but looking forward to reading the rest, good so far.

DaveC
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 29 . 9/19
I have to admit, I'm nervous about this battle thing, but it's probably gonna be spectacular.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 28 . 9/19
Interesting.
Rambling Drabble chapter 9 . 9/19
1. It'll either take a whole lifetime or never for Harry to get over ghosts? Hmm...
2. I'd forgotten that the WISEST old men come from the Orient, dterotypically speaking.
3. Didn't notice before, but Dumbledore's smile was "unwavering and freshly delighted" for each Sorting... I forget if that changes in the next chapter, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
4. Oooohhh, I love the descriptions of the Heads of Houses. Never read the original sorting, so if these are new, and even if they aren't, well done. Flitwick is respectful to all, Sprout is respectful to all but Slytherins, Snape is respectful only to Draco, and McGonagall is professionally respectful to all, and smiles at those she personally knows to be good.
5. Dirdir and Puppeteers… okay.
6. So Goyle spent a long time under the hat? Maybe he accidentally made the hat think at his speed.
7. Wow, I know two more digits of pi than Harry. Does that make me slightly smarter or slightly dumber than him? Given the context, I've got the answer. And I don't like it.
8. I can’t remember if Sally-Anne Perks is in HPMoR after the Sorting…
9. Damn, the line between referencing canon and foreshadowing blurs so many times in this fic. Those questions, man…
Rambling Drabble chapter 8 . 9/19
1. Didn't know eidetic memory was a synonym for photographic memory. Let me just take a few days to repeat that word to myself so I can learn it like any NORMAL human would.
2. I still love the mention of how Harry speaks like a book. For once, a fic came out and said how people don't talk like this in real life.
3. Oh, the crackpot theories about Harry v the Dark Lord sure are fun, aren't they?
4. Hmm, consequentialism, eh? If only politics ran on that.
5. So I'm making a list of any science (text)books mentioned in HPMoR and I'm not sure which ones I'm going to go and read, but I think I'll just stick with the old "promising title/description" method that's worked out well enough for fanfiction.
eh it still doesn't click for some reason the man of masks needs harry to really believe in the Lord Voldemort Masquerade
Rambling Drabble chapter 7 . 9/18
1. I love how Harry doubts that he's Harry Potter. It's hints like these, man.
2. Well now I want to know what happened at the potions shop. Plus, the line "If I lied the first time..." is awesome. I definitely remember that from the 1st time around. If it's a Less Wrong original, or even if it isn't, well done.
3. Didn't notice that Draco had cast the quieting charm in the first read, either. But wait... so I'm guessing he has some sort of magical device, because wordless and potentially wandless magic at the age of 10 is, as the chapter describes, not plausible.
4. Oh, the foreshadowing. So great, so often. And I didn't realize how much of a serious conversation/persuasion this chapter held PRIOR to the space mission scene until just now, or how much it influenced Harry's goals with Draco.
5. "Magic is the only hint we have as to how the universe must really work." I hope that's a metaphor.
6. Never heard of Burundi before. One obscure country down, many more to go.
7. The science!Draco scene is still as awesome as ever, though now I just realized something I hadn't before: Harry's blood was cold during the conversation, and I'm guessing it started sometime after THE picture. I guess it also explains why he does what he does to Neville.
8. I guess Harry turns the Ravenclaw Patil into that "certain type of person" that can be convinced with the old Slytherin fallback. Neat.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 27 . 9/18
Harry's got to have some deeper reason to be so obsessed with being god, to make everything alright for everyone, plus his empathy is not a gift many have naturally. There simply has to be one.
Rambling Drabble chapter 6 . 9/18
1. Just HAD to have at least one overt AI reference, didn't 'cha? Still, the comparison with magic IS pretty cool. And ever-increasingly accurate, too.
2. Harry's sore loser explanation: my thoughts in a nutshell :)
3. "One of my classmates gets bitten by a horrible monster." It's all in the details, isn't it?
4. Oh, the references. Can't recall noticing the Hulk reference the first time around. Or seeing his first dark moments for what they were. It was fun to read through all that again.
5. Saying nothing about the scene before it, I still love what the shopkeeper said to McGonagall. I also don't remember the sweat the first time around.
6. So it doesn't explicitly say that it was McGonagall who told Harry to find Hermione, just that it was whispered to him, and that McGonagall wasn't there when he turned around.
7. Albus said "gravely". That should have stood out to me the first time. Or maybe not, since I'm more rational now, but still...
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 26 . 9/18
Bye bye, Skeeter. For a moment there I thought it might be Riddle's diary, but I guess that wouldn't have made all that much sense.
Rambling Drabble chapter 5 . 9/18
1. Wonder who the mokeskin Hufflepuff is.
2. Can't recall reading about the door waving goodbye to them before. Oh well.
3. So they ran into a total of 3 well-wishers within the alleys of Diagon Alley... don't know if that's important, but okay.
4. Ooohhh, a "sharp look", huh? Thanks for the new synonym for a glare. I might be needing that.
5. Hm. Didn't notice that Draco was wearing a checkerboard-gridded robe pre-Hogwarts. That's cool.
6. "Unutterably delighted" is such a great bit of blubbering praise.
7. House Elf, the real backbone of Hogwarts.
8. That description of Lucius... HOT damn!
9. So much flattering vocabulary in this. Didn't know about laureate either.
10. Six minutes and four seconds in Madam Malkin's. And the description of McGonagall Lucius... (bring tips of the fingers of one hand to lips and kiss them) Magnific!
11. Final note: didn't notice the first time that Harry tried to use the fundamental attribution fallacy at the end there. Neat inclusion.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 25 . 9/18
I really want to see what they come up with.
Rambling Drabble chapter 4 . 9/18
1. Didn't know about seigniorage. So governments can make some profit PURELY by producing currency, according to its definition. Whether that's right or not (because it's probably much more complicated), thanks, HPMoR, for adding new words to my vocabulary.
2. Oohhh, another one: arbitrage. Didn't know THAT was the name for Harry's get-rich-quick scheme. Neat-o.
3. The idea is filed away for a free week. Perhaps for a certain... break?
4. Didn't see it before. That final request WAS (just a bit) too theatrical. Gotta remember that pretty much everything Harry does is calculated. Griphook would be grinning if he knew.
Rambling Drabble chapter 3 . 9/18
1. So there are 3 items you need to complete an infinite cycle of wish spells... I'll look into that later.
2. Gotta have that bookshop be Ravenclaw colors.
3. Those "who stood out most." Reminds me of something a certain Slytherin will say.
4. Nice quote: "Whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it."
Rambling Drabble chapter 2 . 9/18
1. Finding solutions in time, eh?
2. Harry's right. Modern schools, especially underfunded elementary schools, underfunded high schools, and pretty much all colleges (with a few exceptions, like Harvard) really are "disintegrating" as far as educational standards go. I wish there was something I could do to get out of it, or do about it, but, like most people, I'll just have to keep my head down and take the right classes instead.
3. Keeping the books from him was a very effective plot device. One could only imagine what a rational Harry could do with a two-months head start.
32,478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »