Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Rajarshi chapter 108 . 12/11/2017
"Fire, earth, water, air, void" Something of a riddle, the Defense Professor had called it, and therefore Harry had remembered it. Something of a Riddle.
Hey, sir, have you at any point of time read up on ancient Indian alchemy, the Panchabhoot?
These are precisely the five elements of Ayurveda and Indian Alchemic Traditions.
The Four Eyes chapter 108 . 9/6/2017
just... whoa
Avatar Whitelighter chapter 108 . 8/26/2017
'Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality' will forever remain on my Top 10 Powerful!Harry stories from this time forth.
Guest chapter 108 . 4/22/2017
The truth about Tom Riddle.
Guest chapter 108 . 4/20/2017
I don't suppose HE'D really know what happened with Narcissa...?

By the way, was this version of Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew's story actually true, or is that another conspiracy?

Anyway, ONWARDS!
Jatok chapter 108 . 11/25/2016
Well... yep. Suck it Harry, you lose.
The Anguished One chapter 108 . 9/19/2016
An excellent chapter showing Voldemort's creation, so to speak. Very interesting, to the point I wish there were more details. It in itself would make for a fun story to read, but I'm still satisfied with what's here.
Eli chapter 108 . 9/11/2016
i appreciate the little Jewish Easter Egg- Ma Nishtana HaLayla Hazeh Micol HaLeylot?
Montara chapter 108 . 1/27/2016
He's planning to kill Harry :

And little Harry is but a shadow in Harry-Tom's mind, I thought they just merged :( But Harry seems good, his upbringing makes a difference, and his friends...
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 108 . 12/10/2015
I love this chapter, and all the explanations in it. Everything makes a lot of sense
SpawnofAnarion chapter 108 . 9/23/2015
This is actually the most hilarious chapter.
Mouse Anony chapter 108 . 7/19/2015
Possible wrong word found.

Chapter 108:
Says "know that Dumbledore".
Second word apparently should be "why".

Current text:
Today I know that Dumbledore does not stand at the top of the world, for all that he is the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation. People speak ill of Dumbledore openly, they criticize him proudly and to his face, in a way they would not dare stand up to Lucius Malfoy. You have acted disrespectfully toward Dumbledore, boy, do you know why you did so?"
Dmitry chapter 108 . 7/16/2015
I just want to mark that Harry had to ask 5 questions, not 4. And the first is: "How long will it take to prepare the potion?"
PA chapter 108 . 5/25/2015
Oh dear D:
missmawwie chapter 108 . 5/23/2015
I'm going to review 20 times (: SPAMMM
Isa Lumitus chapter 108 . 4/22/2015
I feel the need to say that your version of Riddle is my favorite villain ever. Quite possibly favorite character. It would be fascinating to read a story from his perspective.
cztelnik chapter 108 . 3/29/2015
Quirrell is breaking his "when I become a Dark Lord rule list" by bragging to Harry. He's not terribly interested in optimizing the world either.
Tarvok chapter 108 . 3/22/2015
So I'm sitting here, engrossed in the story, the world, and the two characters conversing, watching the villain break one of his own rules (he's sitting there monologuing as he brews a potion), and suddenly, "Dark Evangel". Immersion broken as I laugh and remember that technically speaking, this is a Negima! crossover fic. :p
CMVreud chapter 108 . 3/18/2015
Holy Tortilla. The tl;dr-rant of Riddle the Older, is somehow very, very near right now political happenstances today, but damn, what a level of incompetence. Perhaps all that inbreeding?
And I think that the philosophers stone is a Horcrux or something Horcrux-alike.

PS: Who the hell wouldn't get joy out of killing incompetent idiots?
75th chapter 108 . 3/15/2015
So, I think my guess is that the "You're welcome" I owe you is not for anything that appears in the story itself. But if it *is*, Chapter 108 is my best candidate. And if you still won't say, that's fine, too.
GuesssWho chapter 108 . 3/14/2015
I feel rather sorry for Voldemort now.

And yes, when it comes to heroes I'll take Smeagol any day. He's rather more useful, really.
Pave chapter 108 . 3/8/2015

"Indeed," said the Defense Professor. "It did give me something of a shock when you remembered it that quickly, but I suppose it makes no difference; all five are beyond my reach, or yours."

So we are to understand that Harry's ideas for hiding things are memories duplicating those of Tom Riddle, not fresh inspirations? This did not seem really clear to me.

It's also a bit unclear what V was trying to do to baby Harry. He did not use the death energy of Harry's mom to make a horcrux. He wanted to do something to Harry directly, that would remove/change/destroy and turn Harry into a copy of V. No horcruxy action, right? So what spell would that be? A modification of the horcrux upgrade, but it doesn't need death fuel?

If the Voldemort identity was supposed to be a rough prototype, thrown away after a few test runs, how was Tom Riddle's cover blown? I suppose V may have seen no further value in that identity, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to make everyone think Tom Riddle is dead, or innocently working as a tax accountant, or traveling abroad? I guess there's not a great deal of info leakage implied there, but... It seems far better to frame some dead patsy for the whole Voldemort thing, to just throw opponents off the scent. Then Tom Riddle could be the great hero. Is the "last scion of an ancient noble house" thing really worth having to polyjuice yourself all the time? Were the red eyes, snake-nose and scales put on for dramatic effect?
As a libertarian, it confirms my bias to cast the government of magical Britain as holding the idiot ball, but isn't this too extreme? Did Harry cite a reference for this dominance stuff? Only assholes get respect?
ImpressedAnon chapter 108 . 3/8/2015
Tracking and communication IRL was lost on Pioneer 11 in 1995 , and pioneer 10 in 2003 . So Harry must not be remembering correctly , unless he 's from the future , or it is some random aspect of the alternate universe . Feeling that "It's a simulation" feeling again .
Perin Valin chapter 108 . 3/3/2015
Why am I not finding numerous complaints that the Horcrux system isn't consistently applied to the plot.

Quirrel should be possessed by an old version of Voldemort from a time when he was still making flawed Horcruxes THAT DON'T PASS ON MAGICS in violation of the Interdict of Merlin. The improved Horcrux network must be a living mind in order to overcome this flaw.

Voldemort-Quirrel doesn't conform to any of the states that we should expect to arise from a young Tom Riddle with severely diminished magics.

If there is a living mind within the improved Horcrux network it should be a separate and distinct entity that is always conscious, in essence the True Tom Riddle, that captures Tom Riddle data in real-time and integrates it into the whole. Why would it need to wait for death before injecting the Voldemort mind-state into another victim?

Otherwise this highly rational and intellectual story has devolved into mysticism and spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Spiritual Possession replaces mind-state overwriting as the rational mechanism of Voldemort's immortality. That is simply a complete failure to stay true to the spirit of the story.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/28/2015
Killing idiots doesn't bring Professor Quirrell joy. It's catharsis, but doesn't require much ingenuity, so it can't interest him or hold his attention enough to bring him lasting joy. Killing idiots doesn't kill idiocy, so it's a childish and ineffective means of solving the underlying problem.

What Quirrell enjoys most is playing the game, which is why he made the "mistakes" of being reluctant to defeat Dumbledore and imprinting himself on Harry. But they were mistakes only if his true desire was to rule wizardkind uncontested and keep Muggles from destroying the world in exactly the way he'd planned. That he kept on making these "mistakes" should have prompted him to ponder why his desires were in conflict with his plan, what desires he meant to fulfill with his plan, and whether he should change his plan to be more in accordance with his desires. He already KNOWS that he doesn't enjoy playing the hero and creating utopias for gratitude/respect-because people were still idiots in his utopias. His plan of preserving the world from the idiocy of Muggles by controlling the idiots isn't nearly as good a solution as stopping Muggles, etc from being foolish idiots in the first place.

The obvious solution to bring Quirrell the most joy would be to find a method to eliminate idiocy. He could use his current immortality to solve immortality in a better way, and with unlimited time find ways to extend immortality to others and find ways to incrementally increase the intelligence of the wizarding population. He's already witnessed how effective education is in minimizing stupidity/foolishness, but he could turn his attention to innate cognitive ability as well. Admittedly, the idea of innate cognitive ability and changing it would occur more readily to someone exposed to genetics, psychology, and science fiction, and Quirrell's prejudice against Muggle science hurts him there.

But, if he doesn't have the patience to endure idiocy for as long as it takes to carry out THAT plan, Quirrell could use magic and technology to go on a space voyage to find the place in the galaxy where he thinks he belongs/would rather belong.

The only reasons I can think of why he wouldn't undertake these plans would be
1. Impatience/Addiction-like many of the kids in the marshmallow experiment, he is unable to delay the immediate gratification of killing idiots for the better solution of not having idiots in the first place
2. Despair/Cynicism-he has given up on the idea that he can have what he truly desires, thinks eliminating idiocy is impossible, lacks the hope that there is a place in the galaxy where he can be happy.
3. Selfishness/Inability to Lose- he doesn't want to abandon his sense of superiority by helping create a world full of his equals, so despite the frustrations stupid people present, he would genuinely rather kill/control them than shape them into something enjoyable to be around. He would prefer eternal unhappiness than admitting he is fundamentally wrong in his approach, would prefer despair to enduring a person more intelligent than he, or as intelligent as he, being RIGHT where he is WRONG.
talia.goldwasser chapter 108 . 2/27/2015
Why was he not able to leave his horcruxes? Canon!Voldemort could even though he only had the old kind - he hid in Albania, where Quirrell and Wormtail both eventually ran into him.
Yitian chapter 108 . 2/24/2015
Wow- Quirrell's reasoning is awesome. On some level I'm more horrified that I agree with 90% of what Quirrell says rather than at the 10% of what Quirrell says I don't agree with.

It's true that humans have mostly behaved in irrational, craven ways, and his impatience and frustration at mankind is more justified than not, and his solution _could_ be effective.
za chapter 108 . 2/24/2015
CHIEF PRIEST AMROS BRING BACK MY EX
CHIEF PRIEST AMROS THIS IS THE ONE OF THE THINGS I PROMISE I WOULD DO FOR YOU IF MY HUSBAND COME BACK HOME BETWEEN 48HRS YOU SAID AND LUCKILY AS YOU SAID TO ME MY HUSBAND CAME BACK HOME TODAY AFTER A LONG MONTHS THAT HE WALK OUT FROM HOUSE FOR NO REASON AND NO WHERE TO FIND HIM UNTIL YOU HELP ME FIND MY LOVE BACK HOME BETWEEN 48HHRS YOU PROMISE, WHEN HE CAME BACK HOME HE CONFESS TO ME THAT HE WAS VERY SORRY TO HURT MY FEELING THAT HE WENT AWAY WITH A LADY FROM HIS WORK PLACE AND NOW HE PROMISE THAT HE WANT TO LIVE WITH ME FOR HIS WHOLE LIFE AND NEVER LEAVE ME ALONE AGAIN,SO GLAD TO HAVE HIM BACK AND BIG THANKS CHIEF PRIEST AMROS FOR YOUR KIND HELP ,AM VERY GRATEFUL . IF ANYONE NEED CHIEF PRIEST AMROS HELP FOR RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM CONTACT HIM THROUGH THIS MEDIUM Tel : 2347060458342/2347052079645.
ZACK RINA FROM CALIFORNIA.
Psychonix chapter 108 . 2/24/2015
And now I feel like a fool for not realising that you are in fact yudkowsky.

CEV did make for a very interesting read though, it must be said.
nekomode chapter 108 . 2/24/2015
Oh god, Harry is totally the mirror, isn't it? The theory of Voldy is trying to mould Harry into his heir and not destroying the world is getting more and more tempting by the chapters... He certainly is running out of time.
s-david-m chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
Excellent chapter, as usual. The improved horcrux sounds interesting, but Harry must be correct that if magic created them, it can destroy them. Clearly they are all connected in some way if Tom can travel between them, which means obtaining only one may suffice to destroy them all.
IGIAs3QGi7ex71MS chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
bAssumption/b In regard to the prophesy "HE IS THE END OF THE WORLD" (of Chapter 89), "HE" refers to Harry Potter, "END" is a synonym of "logical consequence", and "World" is short for "the Magic World".

bFulfillment/b The "Truth Chapters" (chapters 104-108) have exposed the chief deficit in Voldemort's cognition, and the chief strength of Harry's: ilack of empathy/i.

bPrediction/b The iarcana/i of the Magic World "shut up and recite spells" will be revealed as a Voldemort-designed construct that fosters a Voldemort-compatible magical expertise, that is, an expertise lacking in compassion and empathy.

bConclusion/b Upon the defeat of Voldemort, iwands, spells, potions, and charms (etc.) will cease to work/i, and concomitantly, the capacities of some underlying layer of physical reality to be revealed (presumably) will become accessible to citizens and societies that, thanks to Harry's compassion-enabled defeat of Voldemort, are sufficiently humane to exercise these capabilities responsibly.
hufflepup chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
Proffessor Quirrells explanations don't quite ring true to me. I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one crucial thing he hasn't told Harry which will change everything.
Enthusiast 117 chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
Quirrelmort's conviction that he needed to kill Harry has been bothering me all weekend. I couldn't figure out what had prompted such a drastic thing.
Then I remembered that second prophecy thing with the stars. That would definitely do it. He almost seems heroic here then, doing his best to avert the apocalypse. Of course, I could be wrong, but I guess we'll see.
Fantastic story, either way. This story is also what first linked me to Less Wrong, which I've since found very intriguing. It's some good PR you've got going with this story, intended or not.
Niqi chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
I demand a better explanation of the resonance of Quirrell and Harry's magic and why they can't touch or use magic on each other because of it, and why Harry supposedly IS Tom Riddle despite...Tom Riddle's neural patterns are just a horcrux, that's just a piece inside of Harry's brain, it's not HIM, Harry has warm and loving things inside him that are 0% Tom, Harry doesn't even seem more than 50% Tom...just - just - explain yourself, Eliezer!
Guest chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
Possible route out of this for Harry:

Tempt Quirrellmort with cryonics. Quirrell has repeatedly expressed the desire to do anything to be in some place that is better than this: once when he was talking about the afterlife, or lack thereof, and when he first showed Harry the stars.

The arrangement is simple: Quirrell takes a cold nap, and Harry takes an unbreakable vow to both make everyone in the world smart, and wake Quirrell up when he is done. Harry works for decades trying to cause the magic singularity, which he was going to do anyway, and Quirrell gets to wake up after Harry does all the hard work. Quirrell obviously won't kill anyone during while asleep (we hope). Quirrell will not be threatening post-singularity, so there is no reason not to wake him up.

Quirrell was going to survive until then even without cryonics, he is un-killable, but this way he doesn't have to listen to idiots while he waits. And with this bait, he can't kill Harry in any circumstances, because that would severely damage the chances of Quirrell ever living in a world that does no annoy him.

That said, I think that hijacking the immortality net is much more likely than this theory.
Benito9 chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
I think that it's rare for a villain to have a backstory which is true to their character and not incredibly implausible. I've read before (somewhere) that the thing that fictional characters have which doesn't occur in real life, is certainty. Especially superheroes and super villains. They have a lot more certainty about their actions and the possible outcomes than can be had in real life. This Quirrell, after the big reveal, feels very realistic, as though he feels the uncertainty of real people. He didn't just 'give himself immortality and know it would work'. He worried about it, and didn't really 'finish', and made mistakes. Very hard to write this, I'll bet.
xvector chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
This is a rather terrible fic. This entire last arc has been pretty pointless. You use it solely to modify canon to the point where you can end the story.

You have added no real content. The most enjoyable parts were the actual battles and humor - you should have stuck to those while writing. But plot planning doesn't seem to be your strongest points, and it results in this absolute retconned mess.

And last but not least, you haven't spent nearly enough time describing Harry's emotion or stream of thought. He doesn't feel fleshed-out at all.
marshall naruto chapter 108 . 2/23/2015
People say this and that about this story and though a person , generally, never gets fed up of listening others praise, I would like to believe "OMG! this is such a beautiful story and you are a great writer!", a cliché to you. So I will not and I believe I should not, go along those lines. But what I do like to review after reading all these chapters is that this story is an ideal story for every fanfiction and non- fanfiction writers. I still feel your way of writing intimidating Rowling's. I am serious now. A man has many sides and You have shown it. You have made Harry a great person and a dangerous hero. A great person always speaks with himself/herself. The world is ruled by these people: ambitious and introverted. This is the first fanfiction which actually seems it's not. When written correctly and beautifully even a common facts seems interesting which, as I perceive, is what you have so far been good at. I hope I could read your other stories if you ever tried again. Or may be I should start writing my own. Having all your ambitious plots just stored in your head is annoying as...houseflies running around your face.
Sybel Sayrah chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
Wow wow wow. There are still so many directions things can go!

I searched the review page and didn't see it mentioned, so figured I'd point out that in one place it's spelled Knockturn Alley and a paragraph later it's spelled Nocturn Alley. I'm assuming it's a typo and not something significant!

Thank you so much for your story!
CovertCloud chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
Awesome as always. Although, I am kinda wondering if Harry is going to bite professor Quirrell. It's been four years, Harry is probably missing the taste of faulty faculty members by now.
guest chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
No one seems to have mentioned the "bewildered" state of the map showing the last room.

The word choice here is telling. The map is not "confused" or "unsure." To me "bewildered" means it has had something done to it.

It *could* be that the last room contains something utterly strange. Some fact about the mirror having many souls in one or something, but that's not exciting, nor plot relevant.

A much better explanation is that Dumbledore is not an "utter fool" and left the map with the Weasley's on purpose. This is, of course, *after* he bewildered the map into not showing his own name AND bewildered the map into displaying Harry Potter as a second Tom Riddle. He then took up station in the Mirror room so that Voldemort wouldn't notice the blurred name moving around.

You will notice that Voldemort was surprised by what the map showed, but it was perfectly in line with his plot and his deepest desire. Thus we can conclude someone is manipulating him.

Secondly it is much more likely that the map's power, which shows souls, could not be completely tricked into showing another name, but it *could* be tricked into showing 1 of 2 possible names if there was at least *part* of a soul in one person.

Dumbledore was able to blur, but not change his own name, and get the map to choose the name that would please Voldemort and make it appear that he (Dumbledore) was a fool.

As an aside I will also note that I am confused why Tom Riddle Sr. says "But let us defer our discussion of the Mirror until we reach it." Since as far as I can tell they hadn't even touched on the subject at that point.
Alex chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
I see a resemblance of Hermione to Jesus:
1. She is a Sunshine general - Jesus is sometimes being associated with Sun.
2. She's got her disciples of S.P.H.E.W. - Apostles.
3. Hermione refused all Quirrell's temptations - Temptations of Christ by Satan
4. Hermione was under the trial of Wizengamot - Pontius Pilate's court.
5. She was brutally killed - Crucifixion.
6. Her body was guarded some time for not to be stolen.
7. Her body mysteriously disappeared later.
8. Finally, she has to be resurrected soon (considering that current events are happening on Saturday, we have to wait not so long) - Resurrection of Jesus.
I am interested has it been done deliberately by author or it's just a coincidence. But anyway it seems to be natural.
melkun chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
This chapter explain so much.
Finally I understand why Voldemort and his other identities!
thank you.
GrumpyGrue chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
She's the hero that fanfiction deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt her, because she can take it. Because she's not our hero.

She's a fecking weirdo. A crazy bint. A Dark Apostrophe.
Markus Ramikin chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
My first reading of this chapter was serious and attentive, feeling suffocated by the difficulty of Harry's situation, wondering how he's going to deal with this, and if you maybe have a downer ending in mind.

My subsequent readings all involved grinning and chuckles. Poor Quirrel can't even fail when he wants to. I particularly laughed at the notion of having to kill one's way through 7 months worth of incompetents before someone remotely capable was promoted.

Alternative chapter title suggestion: Springtime for Voldemort. ;)
Guest chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
A theory just struck me. What if siezing the philosopher's stone was never Quirrelmort's real objective? What if his plan is simply for Dumbledore to show up to defend it so that Quirrel can then spring a trap on him and take his wand? He took the cloak from Harry and claims he has the resurrection stone. And it was foreshadowed that he knows a ritual that summons Death. The three hallows combined make one "master of death". It fits. Or maybe he thinks he can get that AND the philosopher's stone. Thougts?
Guest chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
Thanks a lot for this wonderful fic.
Can anyone enlighten me about how quirrel got hold of the map? If i remember correctly, dumbledore was the one who took it from the twins, and the map confirmed his identity. Am i missing something here?
Paula Rizzuto chapter 108 . 2/22/2015
Very few surprises here. Most of what was spelled out in the last couple of chapters was pretty thoroughly flagged in previous chapters. Quirrell Voldermort. Voldermort was created to be an NPC but the persona meant to defeat him was too hamstrung. I didn't previously pick that Voldermort was a "rough draft" NPC which was accidentally too successful - this was a delicious surprise. I'm suspicious of the suggestion that he only killed ministry personnel to get rid of incompetence - I think he is shaping the story a bit there. And finally, I don't understand why the map refers to Harry as Tom Riddle... Could it be because he calls the map in parseltongue, which is like calling on the database from a different wrapper, one which values the Tom so much more than the Harry that it only sees Tom?

I'm still hoping that Harry's sense of hopelessness is overstated. I don't want him to die.
Kulyok chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Brilliant humor, as always. I loved the parallel between "doing nice things for other people" and Christmas chapters.

So interesting that Professor Quirrell would go out of his way to confirm in Parseltongue that he meant Harry no malice during the rooftop incident and the Dementor incident, yet he mentions Lily's murder and Hermione's murder so casually - without confirming or denying either in Parseltongue, by the way.
SomeoneOrOther chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Back in Chapter 28, Harry unlocked the secret to Partial Transfiguration, and Dumbledore cautioned him not to let anyone in on it, because having a completely unexpected ability might be to Harry's critical advantage.

Somehow or other, Partial Transfiguration is going to play a big part in the swiftly-approaching dramatic climax.
Ravager Zero chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
I love Quirrell/Voldemort. It's a particular brand of evil, but one can't help but feel sympathetic to his plight as he tried to improve magical Britain. The story of his rise to power, and the wall of incompetency that faced him is also brilliantly told.

Harry's conclusion about Voldermort's blind spot is also amazing, and stupidly clear in hindsight.

The explanation behind the various magical artefacts mentioned is also quite fascinating, and I love the depth being added to these critical pieces of lore.
Ewing chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
I just want to point out that considering how Баба Яга is usually depicted in our fairytales (ugly hag with one tooth) an idea of someone seducing her is particularly hilarious.
Ewing chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
It occurred to me, rather hilariously, that if we don't consider Harry to be simply Tom Riddle II (and I don't, different upbringing, affected by his "shell", not really socipath as he's capable of empathy, hell, *different consciousness*, et cetera, for that matter I do not consider clone of a person to be same person as "original" - they are simply two people who very closely genetically matched) well, if we don't consider them one person in two bodies, then "Quirrell" is the closest person Harry has to a parent, there is more of Tom Riddle in him, in most important part of him - his brain, than of Lily and James. It's like them three had a baby together, or, for simplicity sake, you could say Quirrell is his other father. Heh.

We already knew about David being Voldie, but Voldie as pathetic try out version of proper Dark Lord is hilarious, and reminds me of what I loved about this work initially - pointing out how stupid HP books are, and boy gods, they are even to untrained eye.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Surprised nobody has commented yet on how the philosopher's stone has been in plain sight this whole time.

I think Harry will see himself in the mirror holding something he already possesses...
J Pouncer chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
It is THE pathetic fallacy to suppose that the author's views will be the protagonist's, and vice versa. But I think that Harry has been sufficiently bothered by the wizarding world since his introduction to it that he would not awfully much object if the whole thing were destroyed. Harry sees the "you turned into a cat" thing as a problem and even an evil. "Our wands would be dead in our hands" strikes Harry as a "so what?" kind of problem - it's not as if you went to the moon with those wands, is it? Wingardium - "who NAMES these spells, kindergarteners?"

I believe Harry believes that the rational view - and rational workings - of the world is a privileged and virtuous position, while the wizarding world's arbitrary (and aristocratic, capricious, limited, etc) view is not only not as good, it is actively evil. That wizardry impedes humanity.

If defeating Voldemort requires Harry to "smash the main frame" or otherwise destroy the source of all wizarding power; and whether that power resides in the Hallows, the Stone, or some still to be identified origin, I think Harry will choose that destruction. A bare memory, a remnant, of Voldermort (and Dumbledore, etc) may remain, but no more.

This may leave Hermione out...
sunflower13 chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Am I glad that I let these chapters pile up before I read them. Wowza. I was wondering if Voldemort would still be possessing Quirrell. I think it's really coot that he is, because now there's all this emotional conflict with Harry. Who isn't actually Harry. That part was a little confusing? With this chapter, you also used the potionmaking portion really well to break up the information walls.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Guys, is it wrong that I felt really sympathetic towards Voldemort during his "everyone around me is an idiot" speech? I nearly cried...
jameselvendork1123 chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
woooow, I saw basically none of that coming. what a spectacular turn of events. I was convinced that the first cause/ prime meddler was future harry, having bypassed the time turner restrictions to fake hermione's death. actually at one point thought quirrell was future harry. my theories as to his identity were chronologically ordered as follows: voldemort (stupid double bluffs, you realize as readers we consider you to be a storyteller, so even when he drank unicorn blood I still abandoned hypotheses grounded in probabilities from the actual story, and assumed his identity to be somebody else), then regulus black because of reasons, and then future harry.

I'm so glad that tom riddle turned out not to be the moron harry had earlier deduced him/voldemort to be, as he was my absolute favorite character in canon.

also how is aumann's agreement theorem reconciled with harry and voldemort's/ tom riddle's incongruent goals, I know this is all fictionalized evidence yadda yadda but still, I'm assuming you're advocating harry's ethical principles (and hermione's?) and yet voldemort is really quite rational... so you're saying one can't logically derive the intrinsic value of another life form... so wellbeing is an arbitrary preference... but I don't think you believe that. so voldemort is crazy?

by the way, I hope you realize where all your readers' minds went when voldemort said, "the broomstick enchantments require a long narrow shape, which must be solid." that was a beautiful yaoi moment. also I liked the sherlock holmes reference.
thepkrmgc chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
i can honestly say i never expected any of these developments, but they are well done nonetheless
Space Lightning chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
I have so many thoughts on all of the revelations found in this chapter, but my review got way too long and convoluted, so I will make two comments:

Why does the map show Harry as TMR instead of Harry Potter? If it doesn't show LV as TMR also, that implies the map gives you the name that you call yourself. I doubt Harry Potter considered himself TMR before he found out he was TMR, so something's wrong about LV's explanation or he's lying.

The Dumbledore/Wizarding Britain speech was excellently done. Even taken with a grain of salt, I found myself agreeing with a lot of LV's points.

Awesome chapter.
meja9201 chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Thank you. Your writing is fascinating.
Thanks so very much for your work.
hhh chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
I'm Curious As To What The Crown Of Serpents Is?
Please try to ExPlian That
Guest chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Dumbledore is certain to step in, see chapter 79. Quirrelmort seems to underestimate him :)
CarlJ chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Wonderful, brilliant, love your work! Your explanation of Lord Voldemort is fantastic! :-D

I would, though, suggest changing back the character in the description. It should be a lot more fun reading it without getting puzzled by it or figuring it out just by it being stated there, even though it is a good hint for the puzzle. I'm wondering - there were no corpse for Voldemort in Rowling's books, if I remember correctly.
Telenil chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Quirell's motivations were a tremendously good read. I loved the way he describes a reign of terror as "respect" and benevolent rulers as being laughed at.

I had the notion that democratic leaders or policemen being criticized or mocked all the time was a very good sign, something that definitely made me on the side of Western societies, but I couldn't quite phrase why. After reading the part of Dumbledore, I'd say it is because people know the Police and the State protect them, and they know at some level that nothing wrong is going to happen if they are disrespectful - they *know* they have freedom of speech.

Icing on the cake, this was all explained from the opposite point of view. Thank you for this chapter!
Proponent of EVO chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Best. Fic. EVER.
LegendOfTheFox3 chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Tom Riddle v1 grows up an orphan. Goes to hogwarts learns magics, eventually becomes David Munroe/Voldemort/others. Realises he is smarter then others when he is older.

Tom Riddle v2 grows up learning rationality/science. Has Riddle v1 neural pathways and HP's up bringing(knowledge/intelligence).

Whilst Riddle v1 has more experience, and is highly intellgent. Riddle v2 has the potential to become better eventually, and is currently intellgent is ways Riddle v1 does not know. Riddle v2 will win this.
Rosa Mundi chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
Hmm. I'm thinking that coming out and saying "Because I care about you!" might actually be a good idea. For some values of love, it is fair to say that Harry loves Professor Quirrel. That hasn't actually been said, and I think it matters.
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
I wonder, how does one change one's magical name? Because it's quite an inconvenience for Harry to see his name as T.M.R. I wonder, does the name change when personalities switch?..
About Quirrell killing Harry - isn't the Cloak of Invisibility good enough protection that Harry will not be killed? Quirrell knows that, Harry knows that - surely, this Hallow will be good enough to protect Harry?
I still wonder about Voldemort's plans concerning his "young brother", his "other half"...
Thank you. Good day, good night, and good luck.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/21/2015
"either of us destroying all but a remnant of the other" - not "each"?

"my abilities as a particularly good finder" - omg AVPM reference! Of course!

"I had a use remaining of her, or rather a certain portion of her" - creepy creepy Voldy you're a creeep.

Overall thoughts - This chapter was incredible (104-level re: "mindblowing-ness") - I see why you skipped a day. Also, I generally feel unqualified to comment on any of the things happening in this story; there are great rationalists in the comments and whatever who have a much better feel for this stuff, whereas I'm vaguely scientific (more than the average person, but really not too engaged in the philosophy delved into here) and simply enjoy observing it all. However, I think that your mentioning happiness is quite interesting, because I actually do have coherent thoughts about happiness; they are the greatest part of my philosophy, and sometimes it seems like being effective and being happy are not related - one doesn't choose between them, but one doesn't use precisely the same methods to achieve either. I optimistically hope that the truly happy (by my definition of happy, which is in terms of enlightenment - the absence of delusion &c.) are also effective...

Anyway, your mention of happiness is interesting, and I look forward to continuing to see Harry navigate the differences between his and Quirrelmort's character.
Vlx chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Well, it is usually a bad idea to suggest the Most Simple solution for a fantasy fiction, but this one is asking for it.
Voldemort can be Obliviated into oblivion (heh), and then filled with false memories of being a comatose man or someone else irrelevant and, preferably, not self-aware. Supported with philosopher's stone he will never die and never revive. Unless, of course the horcrux system doesn't magically renders him immune to mind spells.
But in truth he just didn't deserve it. He is not a bad guy, he is simply above everyone in his society. No wonder he never knew love for he never met anyone equal to him, or at least able to hold a proper conversation.
On the other hand the muggles world can possibly offer such people. There is still a lot of idiots here, but to imagine such clever and cunning person wouldn't seem completely impossible.
Perhaps for someone raised in an orphanage it is not intuitive and the whole Magic world looks really bad by this criterion.
Maybe he should go study quantum physics or speak with great philosophers. Oh and someone must show him the hedonistic amusement of muggle world, we excel at those :P
tick-toc-tick chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
This keeps getting better and better! I honestly hope that Tom and Tom work everything out and go on to have a really fucked up friendship.
badkidoh chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Another great chapter.

I wounder seeing as how the map show two Tom M. Riddle and Harry is a blank soul imprinted & fused with Tom M. Riddle soul shard would that mean that other soul shards(Horcruxes) would show up on the map as Tom M. Riddle as well? meaning a world map version of the map would show where the other Horcruxes are located?

Also I wounder with Harry's blank baby soul imprinted & fused with Tom M. Riddle to the point that the map thinks that Harry's soul & Tom M. Riddle soul is one and the same would that mean that Tom M. Riddle Horcruxes also see Harry and Voldemort souls as one and the same, meaning when it comes to anchoring souls the Horcruxes would work for both of them? If that's true I guess short of a dementor's kiss it would make it very hard for Voldemort to kill Harry without him coming back.

Also nice work on Perenelle/Nicolas flamel story. I wounder if the philosopher's stone is just a fragment of a bigger stone or if the stone itself is naturally occurring and possible underground in magic rich areas?
HmmmMaybe chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
The way I see it, to defeat all those horcruxes, Harry must prevent their creation in the first place. Maybe Harry will figure out a way to go way back in Time, before anything Bad has happened, maybe to Atlantis Time itself, and stop it. Or he uses the Philospher's stone to completely re-write the existing UNIVERSE, transfigure the whole of Spacetime to be more to his tastes, thus fulfilling Trelawny's other prophecy "...HE IS HE END OF THE WORLD" - He ends this Universe and creates an alternate one. Hmmm Maybe...
PLD chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Nicely done. Makes me think that permanent transfiguration could be something of a double edged sword. Dying without dying. Trapped forever with no way for the spirit to leave. No death, but would it be betrayal? Together or alone, I wonder.

On another note, perhaps Harry would let out a little squeak at the wrong end of Fiendfyre.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
"Snape. Snape! Severus Snape!" I see what you did there...haha...
vancho1 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
A great chapter, as always. However, taking a step back from the very dramatic situation, Voldemort has revealed some very interesting information about the HPMOR universe:

1. Faster-than-light communication is possible. All you need is one of his "Improved Horcruxes", and you can transmit information instantly through Voldemort's spirit. I presume this to be instant, as there seems to be no delay when viewing the stars (At least, not one on the order of 14 hours, which is my rough calculation for the lag from Pioneer 10 at 106 AU).

2. There is some sort of immortal, singular, and indivisible soul which produces or is associated with consciousness. If the soul did not exist, there is no way for Voldemort to have cognitive abilities after the death of his body/brain. The soul is assumed indivisible because he hasn't possessed multiple bodies at once - though this could be disproved if he does.

3. Names are meaningful and associated with a person's soul, and not their personal, internal identity. Harry is shown as "Tom Riddle" on the Marauder's Map, even though his body was named Harry by his parents, and his personal, internal identity is Harry. The 'imprint' of Tom Riddle is what matters as his name. Therefore, even though two people can be named the same thing, there is some true and unchangeable name associated with a person's "soul". Since Harry and Voldemort share the same soul (or Harry's spirit was molded into the form of Tom Riddle's), the Marauder's Map displays them as having the same name.

There are no doubt more philosophical, physical, and spiritual questions whose answers are revealed or hinted at by this latest chapter, but we can see already that the universe of HPMOR is clearly different from our own (Ignoring that little magic thing, which was a feature of Canon Harry Potter anyway).
Shay McSudonim chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders.

Not Slytherins.

Hufflepuffs.

I would say thay this is a job for Cedric Diggory, but I really want him to live through this fic.
EriEka127 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
great chapter!
ChibiCritique chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
So Harry may as well never have existed in this fanfic universe, Voldemort only became so because he was bored and was looking for an intellectual equal, he's also mastered the Deathly Hallows, made 107 horcruxes, some of which are damn near impossible to retrieve? NOICE

But i'm seriously hoping for a helluva good ending for this one, I don't even care who wins in the end, I want my mind blown. If this fanfic was just like any generic one, making any character this OP usually leads to a disappointing end. However, for the first time in a long time, I'm going to give the story the benefit of the doubt and not expect anything cliche or predictable. I'm looking forward to seeing as how this all plays out.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Why is EY using a progressive release schedule on this story if it's finished?

What is the value drawing out the final arc? There's no money to be made from advertising here. For dramatic purposes and to keep readers in a frenzy?

It really doesn't make sense. The last two chapters feel like they're mostly filler episodes to me. Still can't see Hariddle winning without a Deus ex machina or off screen past actions. The only thing I could imagine saving Harry is the mirror of erised being empty and the stone in Dumbledore's pocket.

Maybe the mirror, showing greatest desire will show Hariddle hacking the source of magic. It wouldn't be satisfying from a narrative standpoint though. Frankly I might prefer the Science Wand magitech
Kira chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
I-I-I can't wait that long...
My carefully measured doses of HPMOR...
So if Harry dies, he will go back to a Horcrux? Or does the whole "Voldemort fake-real- copies" thing stop it?
And Quirrelmort can now go and practice "being nice"? I'm guessing he didn't do well in kindergarten? :P Yes, yes, the whole orphanage thing, whatever.
I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG SERIOUSLY
Haradion chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Wow.
This was fantastic. I am not sure what else I can say beyond that. Other than that it is awesome!
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
ill admit the secondary old nick is a cross gender evil dark lord is... well.
something to be DEFANGED.

which honestly... yeah.

love your work its NICE to see intelligence bounce of each other and just enjoy the place but...
hmmm its a bit ...

well very enjoyable, even if I am QUITE curious about Dumbledores rebutual.
DA Mk2 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Very Nice.
I see that the complications were due to backup plans and things not working right. This is more real world like and less story like. What do you do when something goes wrong? Switch to plan G, H or J? You are already up to E, F is not appropriate, and you are long past plans A, B or C.

This story is even better than I thought. This is why it is so hard to put together.

You should make an original story and sell it. This way you spread your ideas, and fund the research at the same time.

I have some more thoughts on this but I am not sure they would be welcome.
harrypotterspiri chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
A rather long drawn out chapter. I got bored, skipped to end.
Emma Emerson chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Tom Riddle is just a Riddle to himself.

He just never felt LOVED as a child; and did not learn to find that INNER child and learn to LOVE himself as others that grow up in dysfunctional families have the inner resources to do so.

Voldermort is bored out of his head too; as many overly talented children/adults can be at times.

Albus Dumbledore is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more Intutive...he always knew Tom Riddle needed the distractions and kept him playing this chess game ... because he was trying to find a way to stop it..without even more destruction.

Yes.. DUMBLEDORE is a genius and also more kind hearted... ..

I feel sorry for Tom Riddle... but also just because parents do damage to children (dysfunctional homes)... can not be an excuse to do more and more damage as adults... there has to be loving consequences.. and time to grow up; and accept childhood neglects.

I think Harry too feels sorry for Tom Riddle... just keeping busy doing destruction... and that will get boring too with eternal life.. until maybe Tom Riddle himself destroy the whole world to destroy himself?

I think Dumbledore and Harry are going to stop Tom Riddle/Voldemort ... or at least Halt him until BOOK TWO... :))))))

Harry asked Voldemort some really emotional healthy questions.. but Voldemort could not respond properly... what Voldemort needs is LOVE.. but he can not accept LOVE..

The say the MORE you LOVE yourself the MORE you can LOVE OTHERS... and Voldemort was not taught love as child. :((((( ..

Sad chapter... and just a reminder 99.9% most people cause their own problems / drama out of sadness..

Since HURT people sometimes like to HURT other people... :(((((((

True Peace come within... true joy...
Happiness just depends on the outer world actions. but true joy and serenity comes from within... and is there I hope for all to choose.

Great SUPERB writing...

emma emerson of nyc
littleredspaces chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Very random thought: Harry is killed, but there's enough Tom Riddle in him that he comes back via one of the horcruxes.
Darth Bubbles 16985214 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Can we get a list of quirrels rules posted? I'm finding that I really want to read them.
qtar1984 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Are you setting up Voldemort to suffer a fate worse than death? Since one of his horcruxes is in space, if all of his other ones on earth are destroyed and his body is killed, then wouldn't his soul be drawn to the last one in space, drifting forever, alone.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Q didn't want Harry to owe Lucius money so he KILLS Hermione?!
There are a thousand better ways he could have done that (including just killing Lucius). I suppose he really does have a blind spot.
Alex Milne chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
But... I want Heromine back.
Didn't Quirreldemort just imply that that's not possible, to get the real her back
The Sinister Man chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
I just had an epiphany! Ayn Rand was a witch! And the reason she saw the world as it was, as a place where empathy and charity and social responsibility were sins, was because she herself came from a place where the Sanction of the Victim was a real thing. A place where people really would hate and try to destroy anyone who tried to save them. In other words, she came from a place as absurdly fictitious as Galt's Gulch.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Regarding previous reviews, Dumbledore has already admitted that he's Santa Claus IIRC, hasn't he?
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
I'll make sure to have my towel with me then.
fujisawa5 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
So the only solution i see to the dilemma hinges on the stone being an alternate foci for transfiguration and Harry being the one to retrieve and thus, temporarily hold, the stone. Both of which which would make sense; how else does the stone interact with the process, why else is Harry still alive, but neither is certain. a flimsy hope really, but one that might work in a pinch. Hermione as a template for a permanent transfiguration of Quirrelmort lol. The perfect solution all around, but far too elaborate to work without narrative imperative to help things along.
should have made an account years ago, your fic is awesome and a great platform for the many methods of sanity, having a narrative makes all of the concepts far easier to grasp even if the word-count is actually pretty similar.
I have been reading these recent chapters practically as they appear and await the next with baited breath.
Guest chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Ridiculous theory: Harry will be tempted to blow up the sun to wipe out the Pioneer horcrux!
Thirteenth Guest chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
This is the absolute first time I've ever cried while reading silently
Savage Wombat chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
1) The Goblet of Fire has the power to enforce magical contracts against anyone putting their name into it.
2) The Marauder's Map considers both people in this room to be Tom Riddle.
ergo 3) Harry has the ability to bind Quirrel to a magical contract.

It's sort of like Harry has access to the same user account on the Atlantean Magic Computer.
5 Coloured Walker chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Another great chapter, I look forward to more.

Nitpick:
thepart [The part.]
suasion [Persuasion]
Reichenfaust chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Wow, what an information dump.

Perenelle the Darkest Witch, and Baba Yaga the last teacher of Battle Magic before Quirrel and previous holder of the Stone of Permanency-Transfiguration-Transformation-Shifting and whatnot. A complicated, and interesting bit of history that adds to the richness of the backstory and intriguing plot.

'Killing idiots makes me happy'
'7 months we had to kill replacemets before anyone competent took the positions they needed to be in'

Wow, so the original riddle was so bored and angered with the corruption of the magical world that he created a new persona, a new horcrux spell, and did a bunch of other stuff to try to fix magical Britain, so he could control the side that won, be respected, and stop Perenelle Flamel from hoarding all her knowledge.

Cool, cannot wait to see what happens next.
nlspeednl chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
The way around lying in Parseltongue is quite easy; obliviate yourself / implement false memories / establish a Pensieve, and suddenly you can lie, because you don't know you're lying anymore. Or you could be imperius'd to believe to be telling the truth (I'm assuming this is about intent / belief, and not absolutes; otherwise physics and all becomes... Interesting, helped along by Parseltongue).

Also, I was actually slightly hyped for this chapter. Excellent fanfiction, awesome plot!
fractalman chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Great job, harry, you just taught the Unfriendly AI how to PRETEND to be a friendly AI.
Darth Parallax chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Is Professor Quirrel Santa Claus? No way of knowing that, but he is obviously Mr. Hat and Cloak.

He cited 'guises suited more for Mr. Zabini'.

Yes, he's definitely Hat and Cloak. But not sure where the Deathly Cloak came from.

As for his 'future plans'

And how Harry *survives* this even

And how to defeat Lord Voldemort...

This does not end in Permanent Death for Professor Quirrelmonroemort. That was obvious as soon as HUNDREDs of Horcruxes were established to exist, and should have been clearer ages ago when Harry was speculating that in the far-flung future, even something like Lord Voldemort's death would be regretted, as soon as enough advancements were made to make other alternatives seem like acceptable solutions. "if it can be dreamed..."

The 5 Horcruxes that have symbolism in them other than the Cup, the Diadem, the Locket, and the Diary might be reachable.

The Stone will show itself before Chapter 115. I mean the Resurrection Stone, not the Philosopher's, which is coming in Chapter 109.

Dumbledore's Elder Wand must still come into play.

We now know almost all of the players, their plots, almost their full roles, we know things from Voldemort's full disclosure-

But we do not yet have Albus Dumbledore's full disclosure. That matters. How much will it change? Not perhaps much, in terms of Voldemort being probably about as accurate in this story as Rita Skeeter was in canon when it comes to crucifying Dumbledore. But Dumbledore knows things that Voldemort does not know, and will speak for himself, before the end, and that will include the passing of the Elder Wand to either Voldemort (Voldemort's Plans) or Harry Potter (Fate).

I just realized that what Harry wants is something that can Magically Hack Magic Itself. That's what he's been after. The Elder Wand might do that.

Harry might murder Dumbledore if the answer has been the Elder Wand all along. He really might.

Horcruxes, or Hallows?

The Hallows will win.

But the author HAS written Harry into a bit of a spot.

It's not going to be because Harry is the Dark Lord's Equal that he *gets* *out*.

Something extraordinary will happen. Not outside the bounds of Reason Itself, but outside the imaginations of the Rationalists. Something involving Dumbledore, which will lead to his death. Something only someone insane like Dumbledore (and not unfortunately anyone who is at only Hermione's level) might be able to predict.

But when the Problem of Right Immediately Now is solved,

Harry is going to tear the Universe a new asshole. :P

I mean he just kinda is.
Wyrvel chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
When is Harry going to figure out the key component Professor Quirrell is missing is Love

Also how would that help. How would it help at all to have him understand that he is without Love and thus without purpose or aim or true enjoyment. This man does things not for enjoyment, but for STIMULUS, he's so cold that he did not consider kindnesses because they guarantee no stimulus and that's so cold and WRONG, it isn't even evil just self-acceptance of Lovelessness. But there's nothing Harry can do about that, in concept, being bereft of Love goes beyond romantic interest (many Loving people are aromantic) or friendly interest (many Loving people dislike intimacy and contact), it's just 'ah that Love thing nope don't have it' and it's so weird and EASY to understand, but awful, it's so awful and the worst sort of Death Star in comparison to Harry's Light Saber it is a role that CANNOT BE CONVINCED?

This arc is AWFUL and I LOVE IT

Also noting that it is becoming increasingly apparent that Harry will not tear apart reality, or at least in the sense the prophesy implies, because Prophesies Are Really Vague and that one was bizarrely direct. As a result, I'm running my own personal WMG wall with smash hits like 'assassinate draco', 'destroy Fate itself, thus rendering all time turners and divinity destroyed, I mean centaurs use the stars for divinations right', 'destroy all horcruxes in some bizarre Old Horcrux VS. New power play', 'actually what if Harry, as Tom Riddle, is capable of creating those New Horcruxes, but as an Old Horcrux, he is considered the same person, so honestly Harry breaking reality to go back in time to the plaque, destroy the horcrux, replace it with a horcrux he made, and allow Quirrellmort to assume he is viewing the horcrux he made rather than the Space-Time God Harry's horcrux is not, in fact, nearly as crack as I assumed when I first thought of it', and my #1 favourite, 'what if he went back in time to give Hermoine a horcrux, it is honestly the only logical thing to do considering she is Very Dead and Harry seems like the type of kid to break the laws of spacetime to get up to all kinds of wacky hijinks'. I could probably add some more, I tend to think a bit more elaborately when I remove all pretence of self-doubt and attention to detail, which is the literal opposite of everything the smart characters in this fic stand for but it's so much FUN

Also, it isn't especially clear - is Quirrellmort as self-obsessed as canon Tom Riddle? I mean, his reaction to learning magic was simply 'I knew I was awesome', and every single one of his decisions seemed to be orchestrated on how awesome he thinks he is, like, there is no reason to make horcruxes of the Hogwarts treasures unless you think really, REALLY highly of yourself, and all the fic writers like to say he went insane with all those horcruxes but honestly it seemed more like he said 'I am very awesome', and all his Death Eaters said 'yes sir', and he tortured and killed everyone who said 'no sir', thus creating an Echo Chamber Mentality, which is, in layman's terms, the Insanity System For The Mentally Stable. Tom Riddle made stupid decisions because he was justifying himself, justifying every other decision, because he believes himself to be above mistakes or faults, and no one is there to remove that mindset because he killed and tortured everyone who said 'no sir'. If a Tom Riddle at an earlier point were to witness Tom Riddle at a later point, he would immediately disfranchise himself from that reality and just...do the exact same thing, but in a different direction. Tom Riddle didn't seem to suffer from a lack of Love, he seemed to experience a reality in which the only thing he could possibly Love would be himself. I guess I would use a word less implicative of a weird and incredibly creepy angle on you esteemed fanfiction. Self-Investment...no...Vainglory, let's go with that. Quirrellmort obviously doesn't experience it, since he's logical, rational, and self-critical, but it's a very pretty word, and one that seems to be Voldemort's only personality trait. Maybe also anger, I don't know. He seemed like an angry dude.

right where was I driving this

Right: So my original question, is Quirrellmort experiencing the same sort of cognitive loop in which Love only exists as Vainglory, and everything else is just stimulus to serve himself? Is he fine with killing harry because he does not key in as his own Vainglory, but rather the theoretical disfranchising a younger canon Tom Riddle might do with an older version of himself, in which the older Tom Riddle becomes a separate entity in his mind? If Harry were to exhibit choices that attract Quirrellmort's Vainglory, would that alter Quirrellmort's decision to remove him?

I mean I could wait to read the prewritten ending to find out but that's BORING and theorizing is FUN

Actually, no, forget I said any of that, instead I think I'm going to add 'Tom Riddle (either one) turns the entire planet and everyone on it into an immortal horcrux by destroying a whole lot of suns instead of killing people' to my personal WMG wall, which is a far better idea I think. I made that up just now but it is easily my favourite one. Just, literally become god. Madoka did it and so can you

this is probably the worst and most chaotic review i've ever posted on this website and i'm sorry but i've never had so much fun. this must be how harry felt as general chaos. all i had when i started was 'thats messed up, the Love thing, i mean i know he doesn't have Love in canon but this is the most messed up interpretation of that statement' and it just kept GOING
mgharmon chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
I must say that this is proving better and better: The Author faked us readers out by giving us a First Year story increasingly divergent from canon-now he is bringing everything back into the original plot/resolution, but without violating anything he set up along the way. Voldemort was destroyed by a mistake that night in Godrec's Hallow. He possessed Q. He wants the Philosopher's Stone to make himself even more powerful. He loosed the troll in Hogwarts, killed unicorns for their rehabilitative blood, etc.

And no, I have no idea how Harry's going to defeat a god-moded Voldemort. Although it's probably going to involve partial transfiguration. No. Really, I have NO idea. But, trusting The Author not to cheat, I'm sure it will be glorious and all set up in advance (no ass-pulling involved).
Grub chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Well, this is probably the most pleasurable info dump I've ever read. Splendid!
Arekanderu chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
This is one of the best things I have read!
Meneth chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Elenna123.4: Quirrelmort loathes stupidity above all, even in his enemies. Therefore, when required to interact with the students, he chose to attempt instilling some measure of cleverness in them.
tstanek1 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
So the power he knows not is kindness? As far as I can surmise, from EY's perspective, Harry and Voldemort represent AIs with different goals. The point of his research is not just the creation of AI, but the creation of AI that will be beneficial to humanity. The two Riddles are metaphors for incredible intelligences that have different goals/optimizations, and EY is teaching us how and why we should seek to create the "kind" one.

Also, "Snape. Snape! Severus Snape." If you've seen the puppet show, you just sang that line. :)
The Defense Professor chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Possibly the best chapter in the entire story. Quirrell is such a fucking good rational villain, probably the best one yet.
Elenna123 chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
Wow. Nice info dump.

Harry asked a bunch of interesting questions I didn't think of, which I'm going to have to think about more before commenting on. Before reading this chapter, I was tinking of the following four types of questions:

1. Are you telling the truth about raising Hermione, etc (the various promises he made in the last few chapters)? Do you expect these plans to change? Repeat in Parseltongue every so often.
- Really, Harry should double-check, although it's not as important since he plans to try to kill Quirrell no matter what.
- Also, is it possible that Quirrell has found some way around the inability to lie in Parseltongue? No real way to check that I can think of.

2. Why are you doing this? Try to get him to stop killing people
- Yeah, I didn't really expect that to work.

3. How did the persona of David Munroe relate to your real plans, exactly? Why did you speak of Lord Voldemort in the third person? Do you have other personas?
- Okay, this chapter answers the first part. For the second part, I essentially wanted to know if he's Mr. Hat-and-Cloak or Santa Claus, although I doubt it. Still no answer on that.

4. What plans did you have this year? What advantage does it give you to be an excellent Defense teacher?
- Okay, Harry mostly asked this one, but I'm still curious about his good teaching. He really only had to be a semi-decent teacher to avoid being fired. Of course, perhaps his enjoyment of the position simply trumped the fact that better Defense students would fight against him better. Or he wants more competition. I'm just confused because I initially concluded that Quirrel probably wasn't Voldemort due to excellent DADA teaching.

So, yeah, there's a few more questions that I would have liked Harry to ask, but oh well. It took me more than an hour to think of these, and I wasn't swamped by emotion at the time.
Peach Wookiee chapter 108 . 2/20/2015
This is quite excellent and proves why Lord Voldemort was doomed to his path in the end. He thought himself better than everyone else.