Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Majerus chapter 115 . 7/19
I notice that I am confused... and yet, also, and - ever so hesitantly - excitedly hopeful.
Dan Thompson chapter 115 . 2/19
Well, I'm quite late to the party, and I'm sure this is an idea long thought (since I'm not really that smart), but here goes: Harry could have Transfigured Voldemort into water, which is poured into a glass. Put the Stone into glass, wait until it jiggles (seemingly implying a permanent transformation), then flush the Voldemort water down the toilet. (Additional urine optional).

Supposedly, the transfiguration wouldn't trigger the horcruxes. The water would be diffused through out the environment, the component hydrogen and oxygen being cycled through plants and animals, or seeping through the soil, making Voldemort simply part of the Earth, unrecoverable. And Harry wouldn't be bothered having to lug about an extremely powerful, mind-damaged wizard with unpleasant tendencies.
zeeweirdeye chapter 115 . 1/22
This is an awesome fight. Only a couple of questions:

1. Why doesn't obliviating Voldemort cause any resonance magic on Harry? After Voldemort altered baby Harry's soul, the soul-altering spell's magic fired back on Voldemort but the same did not happen here. I suppose you can say that once Harry obliviated a huge chunk of V's soul, there isn't much of a soul left to create resonance magic. That also explains how transfiguring obliviated V doesn't have a resonance effect on Harry.

2. How will obliviated V remember all his magical knowledge? Harry obliviated his "whole life". V's magical knowledge isn't included in Harry's exceptions for the obliviation spell.

3. How does Harry maintain the transfiguration without exhausting himself? I'm guessing it requires slightly more effort than maintaining the transfiguration of his rock.

4. Wouldn't the dynamite's explosion harm Hermione? And if she recovered but not the other Death Eaters, wouldn't people be suspicious of her?
Winnifred chapter 115 . 5/1/2017
I don't understand the thing with the dojo master. Was it all just a lie? if not why would he kill the people, I understand he'd want to prove his dark lordness but there were thousands of strangers who he could have killed. Other than that though really good fic
Guest chapter 115 . 4/22/2017
Cleanup time.
Guest chapter 115 . 4/20/2017
That...wow. I would not have guessed that. I wonder how he's going to explain all this later.
Jatok chapter 115 . 11/25/2016
Hmmm, I like it. It makes sense as it also gives harry potential access to knowledge. Also, i have to say, i'm glad i found not just a fanfic, but a story with a smart villain.
The Anguished One chapter 115 . 9/23/2016
Voldemort will live, completely without memory and under Harry's observation... I wonder what kind of life he could ever live, assuming Harry eventually figures out what to do with him.
Mythgirllily chapter 115 . 6/4/2016
I have been turned into a gibbering idiot at the amount of brains it took to produce this fic. Wow, bravo, and please can I have more? :)
Montara chapter 115 . 1/27/2016
Wow! I thought about Harry transfigurating Riddle but didn't think of him obliviating him even though it was an obvious step...
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 115 . 12/13/2015
So, I love these two chapters, that's an awesome solution to the problem. Messy, ugly, but necessary. I'm so glad you brought Hermione back as well, she's my favorite character in this story and it would be a duller world without her. Overall a brilliant pair of chapters!
flairina chapter 115 . 8/26/2015
Oh wow, did my review back in chapter 113 go OVER THE LIMIT? Didn't see until I checked the review, er, whoops. I'll post the rest here, and save remarks on this chapter for later.

3. The rules state Harry cannot develop any new magical powers (relative to him, presumably) or transcend previously stated constraints on them in the next sixty seconds. Harry, however, rejected the constraints on ALL magic from the start. Thus said constraints do not exist, if taken by the literal meaning of the statement. That being said, previous wording was "only use capabilities the story has already shown him to have", so unless he's been doing something we haven't noticed all story, or even at only one point in the story- entirely possible, honestly- this loophole fails.
NO PLAN AT ALL, FAILURE
4. Harry once said that although you can "learn" science, it's not helpful without a "scientific mind". People have to learn it, which implies Voldemort could also learn it- but can he really? Voldemort lacks things Harry has; it is entirely possible he could never truly "get" that...
but that doesn't stop him from killing Harry. At best it saves one of his friends- it's probably not even enough for that to be honest.
100 PERCENT CHANCE OF FAILURE, WOW, GO YOU (But hey, you saved someone! Maybe! Congrats, Voldemort already knows the loophole you haven't spotted!)

(Made after line of logic)

5. Attempt the "You'll be bored with no one to match you, just like you said you would be." argument. I really don't think this will work but it's worth mentioning just because of the fact that it was remarked on previously, at great length, that Voldemort does NOT like being bored.
80 PERCENT CHANCE FAILURE
6. Harry and Voldemort both show up as "Tom" on the map. They are thus essentially the same person- and thus "HE", of the prophecy Voldemort is desperately trying to avoid, will by default apply to Voldemort if he kills Harry. As he has already shown, prophecies can twist to complete in unexpected ways. Who is he to say that killing Harry/himself is not what will CAUSE the end of the world to begin with? The "he" could refer to either of them, ESPECIALLY now that they are considered (by magic) identical. If he does not want to end up destroying the world himself, Voldemort might HAVE to spare Harry, if just to stall so he can figure out a way to TRULY eliminate the prophecy. A major flaw lies in that either prophecies can be, or Voldemort believes they can be, averted through sheer effort and reversal of what seemingly caused them to begin with. Also, if he thinks it's a foregone conclusion anyways, he again has no reason to keep Harry alive.
70 PERCENT CHANCE FAILURE
7. Remind Voldemort of the prophecy from the first week of Hogwarts; the "He is coming" one. It is a potentially unplanned factor in Voldemort's plan, as he ALSO did not hear it in its entirety. Harry does not know what Voldemort heard with Trelawny. Voldemort knows that the prophecy he heard was very similar to what he DID hear, except that "coming" became "here". He will tell Harry this as an explanation to why his thought of how he might be saved is stupid. It changes nothing, there is, most likely, no "other" prophecy with new information he doesn't know, only an "outdated" version. However, Harry can then point out that the fact that it happened BEFORE Harry made any decision regarding Hermione's revival (as she was not dead) means that Hermione's death was not the cause of that prophecy. It was going to happen regardless. Voldemort has not averted it by bringing Hermione back and making her nigh-unkillable. His procedure was flawed. Again though, that doesn't mean Voldemort won't just do everything ELSE he can to avert the prophecy immediately, instead of taking the time to reevaluate everything.

So is there anything else to point out that may further convince him? Yes, there is. Assuming they really were almost the same, what DID that "coming" bit mean then? It can't refer to location, especially as Voldemort was ALSO already there. Can we suppose that "coming" meant events already were leading to the path of Harry "ending the world", and that Hermione was just the tipping point? But then why would there be a need for, essentially, two versions of the same prophecy? The only logical reason is that someone who was prevented from hearing it the first time needed to hear it. Does that mean Voldemort IS the "he" in the prophecy (ignoring the whole "they're both Tom" thing for the moment)? Possibly (see 6 above), but more likely it means that in order for the prophecy to fulfill itself, it needed the result that would come from a certain person who heard it. Voldemort didn't get to hear it the first time, so he and he ALONE heard it, slightly updated so as to up the "urgency" due to the lost time, while he was alone with Trelawney some time later. Thus the prophecy must be SELF FULFILLING. So, Harry asks Voldemort, have you REALLY averted the prophecy? Or are you even now playing things out exactly as it intended to go? I would think THAT should put enough doubt in Voldemort's mind that he holds off on killing Harry for a while, as Voldemort has in that case done NOTHING to ACTUALLY avert the prophecy, and nor has anyone else- thus even this is part of its plan, and the world will still be ending. Further extrapolation on this point can lead back to solution 6, strengthened by the fact that the prophecy DID seemingly come to pass regardless of Voldemort's intervention- can prophecies like that TRULY be averted this way, especially given that he got the cause wrong, the way to avoid it wrong, and possibly even the "He" it concerns wrong?

If the above argument doesn't work initially, Harry can try this instead- Dumbledore almost certainly heard that whole prophecy the first time it happened. So why did he seemingly do nothing about it? Did he assume it was not talking about Harry, and meant Voldemort? They're really pretty much the only two candidates for the "he" there. You'd think either Harry or Voldemort would have been more pressing concerns at the beginning of the school year for him then, if Dumbledore assumed that- seeking to avoid the former case, seeking to prepare for the latter. But he wasn't, not after the first week. In which case we're back to the original point, were the prophecies REALLY the same? Does Voldemort REALLY know all the pieces in the game here?

This actually seems pretty solid! On the surface, at least. There's still a ton of ways it could go wrong; I feel like this would take longer than 60 seconds to explain, and if Voldemort does not say WHY he thinks the first prophecy was of no importance then this is all moot. Still, Harry only needs to get that one chunk of info out of him, and THEN he can -at least- extrapolate and stall with that for the immediate future. I'll be generous to myself and say only a
50 PERCENT CHANCE OF FAILURE
8. It is said that the person who owns all three deathly hallows is the master of death. Harry owns the invisibility cloak. Magic considers him to be tom riddle, who owns the resurrection stone. Voldemort defeated Dumbledore in a duel, and (may, theoretically) own the elder wand now. Assuming the story is true (entirely plausible that tale really IS true to an extent, or at least mostly, given that the Hallows exist, and that dementors, avatars of death, also exist), Harry and Voldemort are the Master of Death. So, at the present moment, it is impossible to kill Harry (or Voldemort). Problems- we don't know if that bit with Dumbledore and Voldemort in the mirror is something the Elder Wand considered a duel; we can't assume the rules work any differently than canon's version even if they probably do. We have no information on that. Also, the hallows may not actually do anything when "owned" by the same person in this universe, who actually even knows. I was never even clear on if the reason canon Harry didn't die was because he was the master of death or because Voldemort avada kedavra-ed his own piece of soul stuck in Harry. So yeah, probably not the sort of thing i should try to reason about when I don't actually know that with any certainty. But, on the plus side, this doesn't require Harry to actually DO anything, so it can serve as a backup solution (prayer) if the end one falls through.
? (60 to 90 depending on how the heck canon version works?) PERCENT CHANCE OF FAILURE, EASY TO APPEND TO EVERY OTHER SOLUTION IF IT FAILS

...okay honestly, I figured this was the plays to stop anyways. I don't know if I have anything better than solution seven in me, to be honest. I considered trying to get the time turner or objects, but those seem out of reach for the next 60 seconds, which is all we're concerned with. I considered potential tricks or realizations- that mirror message, for example, useless though that would be here. Or maybe a realization that Dumbledore wasn't really in there and it was just Voldemort's "coherent extrapolated volition", but even if that's true it was stated cavalry isn't coming, so even if Harry could stall with that it doesn't help escape immediate death. I even actually considered the parseltongue "224" statement to potentially mean math is a universal truth and see if I could get anywhere with that, but I'm pretty sure the definition of "lie" is considered "to the best of my knowledge" in this case, as otherwise Voldemort would have just seen what he could or couldn't say in snake about EVERYTHING and thus already discovered the secrets of the universe, omnipotence, etc, so that really went nowhere anyways. This is, most likely, the best I can do right now. I don't know if I failed this exam or not, but regardless of that I at least can be satisfied in knowing I tried at all, and that I can now move on to the remaining eight chapters and see that ending I deliberately held off seeing for so long.

...even if I did fail, make some critical error somewhere along the line
AlexZhaw chapter 115 . 5/27/2015
Incredibly clever (godlike intellect fo QQ), and 1 foolish mistake, ordinary REAL person wouldn't commit (leave WAND to wizard - it's like... no, there is no analogy fo muggles, it's just stupidity) and 1 absurd-assumption ( Rabbit-from-Hat or so -why didn't monomolecular thread just fell from wand to the ground? What force , except author's will, drove it? ).
Everything IMNSHO because of many authors try to picture Evil Genius really genius and put Main Hero to Really Bad situation, and have no sane way to save him. So just making wonder. In rational world H.P would be just killed by and so on, in a tiny bit rational. Except this smashed ending - the whole book is incredible and awesome!
PA chapter 115 . 5/25/2015
wow ... o.o
missmawwie chapter 115 . 5/23/2015
I'm going to review 20 times because that's my ninja way
XeroLegendaryZ chapter 115 . 3/10/2015
I haven't read anything prior to chapter 103 in months, so I find I'm not familiar with much of anything Harry can actually do. Without practice I wonder how successful the ability to Obliviate someone would be, much less have any precision. Regardless, the Horcruxs have imprints of the creators memories from the time they are made. So, If Voldemort does lose his current vessel, it's entirely possible that he can regain it when he's pulled to the next Horcrux; even if its limited to that of the Horcruxs memories.
anon chapter 115 . 3/9/2015
To all the people imagining Harry going back in time to put Voldy in the crib: don't forget the part where he transfigures his aunt with the stone and then Confounds her and Lily :)

Great fic up until the final exam, I was kinda disappointed by the final cop-out. Seems to be inevitable with the HP world.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/8/2015
A idea I did not see here.
The unbreakable vow might have had some way to alter Harry's mind flow, thus all of the so non lethal methods and thoughts apear in the bin and you get 30 dead bodies and no cry about is, because you need to gather up the strength needed for the play on the stands. Both needed, to get minimal damage to world.
ott chapter 115 . 3/7/2015
This seems to have taken a sharp turn into deus-ex-machina territory. A transfigured person cannot be sustained viably for any length of time, due to submolecular changes in the object they were transfigured into, or so it was stated in the early chapters about transfiguration rules. And whether Riddle set this up to force Harry into revising his restrictive ethics or is just unaccountably supposed to have turned stupid, the feeling I get is of an author wanting to kill off their story due to boredom. In disgust I've just read the recursive fic Follow the Phoenix for a more believable simulation of rational!Harry: although it has its own flaws, that take at least retains a voice that holds conviction in the rationalist enterprise. As of Ch 116, HPMoR seems to be heading to a whimper of an ending. Please pull something neat out of the bag - right now it feels like we are getting the sad ending, foreshadowed or not.
Jacob Chen chapter 115 . 3/6/2015
There's a slight issue with the "game theory" section.

As Voldemort stated, his great pleasure in life derives from torturing idiots. While Harry's father may not be an idiot, his mother certainly appears to be. And so its clear that all things being equal, Voldemort prefers to torture Harry's mother than to not torture Harry's mother (and also other idiots related to Harry Potter).

So the matrix should appear as follows (using ordinal values)

Torture Not Torture
Reveal (4, (3,

Not Reveal (2, (1,

And that makes torture a dominant strategy for Voldemort.

However because of the power of parseltongue contracts, HP has the power to remove (Torture/Reveal) as a strategic option, as if he reveals, Voldemort is compelled to not Torture. So it becomes a matrix with only 3 possibilities, where the top left possibility is removed.

However in the event of "Not Reveal", it still would give Voldemort more joy to torture than to not torture. Therefore HP's game theory analysis is fundamentally flawed.
Chris Phoenix chapter 115 . 3/6/2015
"a bottle of oxyacetylene" - no, one doesn't store acetylene gas under high pressure, or mixed with oxygen. Acetylene can polymerize explosively all by itself. Welding tanks store it dissolved in acetone in a solid absorbent matrix.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/6/2015
Ok this is a terrible, terrible, terrible conclusion to all this build up. Voldemort, the man who is apparently the single smartest man in the whole wizarding world, let Harry keep his wand. Why the crudnickle! This is something ordinary villains would do. At the same time I'll still remai optimistic. I feel like Eleizer is to smart to let something as obvious as this slide by, and I don't think he has explained Voldemorts plans completely yet. So maybe, maybe he'll have some perfect explanation, but at this point that might really strain credibility. EY has exceeded my expectations before though. Also the obliviaton scene was so incredibly beautiful that it might make up for it.
Luna chapter 115 . 3/6/2015
I presume that horcruxes are some kind of consciousness storing devices that create a highly redundant scattered network. They allow for the stored consciousness to take over a host they had physical contact with. Memory charms are spells that affect a persons mind, probably making permanent changes in there neural network. So why, why, why would a memory charm do anything to the data stored by the horcrux system? It should only be able to affect the host's mind. Harry casting obliviate on Voldemort wiped only the puppet-body's brain, witch btw was already empty. If this really is Voldemort's end, then srsly, I've seen anime with better endings.
trace chapter 115 . 3/6/2015
Harry has just killed a lot of Death Eaters. Did one of them happen to be Lucius Malfoy?

Honestly, that solution is brilliant. I just didn't have enough killing intent to think of it. *sigh*

I was a little confused at first about how Harry could suddenly Transfigure air when he couldn't do it before, but then I remembered that that was before he started literally visualizing reality as a timeless wavefunction when he does his Partial Transfiguration. With that, the speed, size, and spread of air molecules becomes irrelevant. And since he's enforcing a relation between a past configuration and a future configuration, the threads will go exactly where he wants them to, physics and common sense be damned. Pretty neat!

And then all that's left to do is to duel a powerful, but wandless Voldemort. Easy enough for Harry seeing as he could stun *the* Alastor Moody, who has better reflexes. Then, Obliviate said Voldemort and Transfigure him into a slythering, set up a scene, and pull off a top-class act.

Everything he has ever learned, attempted, experimented with, or thought of is put together and applied to the task at hand, with all the resources granted to him as a rationalist whose entire mind is working in unison with one goal.

...I find it a scary thought to imagine that someone could hyper-focus like that, with no regard for anything but achieving their end goal.

I am suddenly enlightened as to why humanity should hold off on creating superintelligent AI until we know what we're doing.

I'm honestly torn about whether or not I should appreciate the story for being well written, or for how it manages to make people less stupid just by reading it.
Pooya chapter 115 . 3/5/2015
I think the best soundtrack for when harry is getting ready and rides the broom away is Noel Harrison's 'Windmills of Your Mind'.
Mark Kelly chapter 115 . 3/5/2015
Oxygen and acetylene are separate gasses.

There is no such thing as a bottle of oxyacetylene.

Ask any plumber or welder.
Fireagle chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
One hour late on chapter 116? I hope you are all right
Pave chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Does it really make sense for someone to be able to make an unbreakable vow while under duress? Seems like the bad guys would be using that hack constantly, if it didn't have some serious catch, even beyond the expenditure of magic. I should go review the chapter that "explained" about unbreakable vows.

It figures the new chapter would be late the only time I ever got here on time.

I am enjoying the end a great deal, though I tend to agree with those who feel that the fine control of spider silk/buckytubes is a bit of a stretch. It also seems like there is a danger that the horcruxes would interpret obliviation as equivalent to death. I imagine Harry would agree, unless there was a way to recover.

I am wondering what Hermione's life will be like after this. She just got a serious level-up.

And is Lucius lying headless, or playing possum, or not even present at the site of the massacre? We are tempted to think he is "Mr. White" but this could be another bait-and-switch.
Ishkabod chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Four Minutes Early PLEASE!
Unformal Sorrelle chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
I wonder what my grade would be on the test. I had partial stuff that made it in- transfiguring the air into something that could take out all enemies at once, that Harry would get the chance for a single spell... Seems like I came up with the optimal conditions for the solution but didn't get the actual answer. I found the antimatter thing extremely strange as one of my original ideas that I tossed out was Harry transfiguring an atomic bomb, after all Voldy already expressed fear of them, and holding England hostage as he expressly wanted a living empire to rule over. However, I deemed this would go against Harry's characterization as it would be too frivolous towards life. In fact, I see now that a constraint I put on myself was finding something non-lethal; even with Harry trying to shoot Voldemort I guess I counted the ability to murder as a new, previously unseen ability- you know, just based on how antideath he's been the entire series. I really didn't count murder as part of the optimal solution, even if it's the most logical and easiest path.
I wish we had more of Harry's thoughts during this. He kinda did several things that are quite gruesome and unlike anything he's ever done or prepared to do. Really, it was really... Offputting how everything went and slightly hard to follow given the turbid thought stream. I'll admit my first read through was during a passing period so I was trying to read it quickly, but even my brother got a little confused in the end. Harry's setting the scene is just... Strange. Its not really cold or calculated as we aren't privy to his reasonings- only his disgust and his determination to do this. It just doesn't even seem like Harry is there honestly, just doing actions without character behind him.
Idk. I know this is on a more rationality scale than a moral one, but since Harry's always been more of a Chaotic Good in his thoughts and actions, I'm just a little worried about him now. Sure, he's had thoughts about eliminating people before, torture even, and his empathy has always left little to be desired, but at the sametime he has always flinched from death. He doesn't want people to actually die. It's weird to see him kill over thirty people and not breakdown, no matter how rational this kid is. He cried over the phoenix, its not like Harry's the little rationality machine he likes to pretend he is. I understand not losing it when his life still in danger but HE WON. He wasn't in immediate danger, he had his variables accounted for and from the Quittich game he was aware that a mass panic event hadn't occurred yet- so he had time. But somehow obliviating Voldy was the hardest thing and he went immediately into covering everything up. He even freaking used HERMIONE as a pawn here- his best friend who he's been obsessing over, just left in the carnage because apparently he doesn't want to deal with the authorities. Or something logical. Its not like he's shown to be panicking at this point.
Again, my biggest problem is the character/reasoning of these chapters. I'm sure your actually planning something very clever and this situation wasn't escaped at the cost of Harry's character. Cause, oh my gosh, if that something-I've-never-actually-seen-a-term-for happens to Harry... (When the main character around the climax seems to have a switch flipped and suddenly all their doubt's/characterization from the rest of the work disappears and suddenly they know exactly what to do, they are pretty much all powerful for whatever challenge they have to do because they've accepted their destiny and that crud to the Nth level. I'm talking about insane levels here where the character seems to be replaced by a 'flawess' deity of serenity and grace who can do no wrong and who's every action is nessesary to the greater good.) Because that's a major pet peeve of mine. Seriously. It agrivated me at seven and it still frustrates me now. (Especially if I like the character- really don't like the pod person replacement. And narritively it makes for a bad story because if said character really has all that power/knowledge then usually the entire book could have been avoided as then the real conflict what their previous characterization. That isn't really probable to happen here as Harry did have to learn his skills and stuff, but I still don't appreciate character descrepencies. Its just with the boost in power and suddenly missing morality that makes me worry.)
I feel as though I have tangented... Still can't wait for the next chapter!
Ishkabod chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Half an hour of AGONY! TILL THE NEXT CHAPTER! This is amazing! must eat food to sustain life... have 20 minutes left so Thank You!
Lisa
Doug Corey chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
The authorities is going to know something is fishy, because of the last spells cast by the wands present will not match with what the scene was set up to look like.
Grabix chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
For people who says about using Time-Turner to check what happened. I think it's impossible... unless Aurors have some common practice that gave that whenever their hear some explosion they immediately go back in time and then check what caused it. (It seems unlikely. Firstly not knowing details about explosion they would accidentally get themselves killed. Secondly they may find that it was nothing important and they waisted use of Time-Turner). If it's not true, then:
LV mentioned something about waiting there for 6 hours because he has not fully trusted his wards. I believe there is this same type of ward they have in Azkaban. Future of this place cannot interact with its past. So once some Auror came there it will by unable to be there at its past. He will be also unable to cause somebody else to be in its past. So they can eventually looks at events from exterior of wards (and they are probably large enough to made it impossible). I think it may be that way.
Brian O chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
There was no sense of Harry's recent experiences suddenly integrating into an ingenious single idea.

The ideas were great, but it feels very deus ex machina. What line of reasoning led to Harry's actions? If they were so easily accessed that he pulled them out in less than a minute with a fun pointed at him, why didn't he think of any of it before this point, for example the lines of material would have solved every problem he's ever had (make it into explosive cord, use it to grab stuff, make the tip of it pump out water based sleeping gas).

Still loved it though!
purge chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
The likelihood of ghosts makes the coverup unlikely to succeed. So giving up that angle, Harry would have no need to agonize over killing the Death Eaters, when he knows (part of) how to resurrect them. If he comes clean, he can get help restoring their bodies, and then even if he's not comfortable giving up more of his own life and magic for them, he was planning to eventually teach others the True Patronus anyway. That can be a long-term plan; the Death Eaters aren't getting any more dead in the meantime. Granted, this could be a security risk in revealing his possession of the Stone, but that could probably be managed somehow if he thinks about it for five minutes, by the clock.

I also wouldn't have expected Harry to be *that* much more morally comfortable with such a thorough Obliviation rather than with killing. First, he now knows that death can be undone, while he doesn't know that Obliviation can be. Second, he seems like he would consider them to be roughly on par as destroying what a person really is.
hufflepup chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
This chapter Harry appears to be the one holding the idiot ball. His actions imply that he is trying to disguise what happened here. But once the authorities find out some one would almost certainly use a time turner to go back to see what happened rendering the deception pointless. Harry should have waited there for at least 6 hours if he wanted to do that.
Brickmouse chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Wow. And here I was worried that my "partial transfiguration of leg into disulfur decaflouride (non-corrosive highly toxic poison gas) to poison Death Eaters and subsequent exploding of the Dark Lord with hydrogen (ignited by DL's gun itself)" was too dumb to post and EY would think I was dumb. This was brilliant, though, especially the callback to carbon nanotubes. I'll admit I was quite curious as to how Mr. Yud would have written Harry's death. Maybe a bonus chapter after this is all over? Kickstarter reward for when HPMOR is made into some visual medium (without profit)?
Whatever. I'm looking forward to the next installment of the greatest use of written language since its creation!
Guest chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Ok. I was expecting V to have suspected magic capability and taken wand after vow. Also figured Super-Hermione body would be his new host after boy-who-lived defeats V in front if all death eaters. Everything tied up in evil bow.

Please, please let Harry trade back with Dumbledore, take his place, let H be girl-who-lived, gets to live life not in shadow and then rescue Harry. Good bow ending :)
Ellette Alphard chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
It was hilarious and sexy that Harry faced up to 36 Death Eaters and Voldemort while being completely naked lol.
RobL chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
If you are trying to keep Voldemort locked down then Obliviate (though who knows if it will stand up to existing Horcruxs) is good as is transfiguring him into a crystal (but a barely sub-lightspeed neutrino would be better, extreme time dilation could make an hour last billions of years). It would also be sensible to add a little more security in case he accidentially gains some limited freedom and/or has memory restored via Horcrux network or other backup means. Some options:
-Cut arms and legs off (and their broomstick charms) so he can't fly or walk or otherwise act.
-Cut out tongue/excise vocal cords/remove teeth/seal lips so that can't enunciate spells.
-Get rid of eyes, and destroy eardrums to restrict sensory input.
-Lobotomy or other brain damage to prevent speech or concentration or maybe restrict blood flow to brain to prevent wakefulness.

Dangerous to leave happy memories as maybe gives hints of history that will prove troublesome for future reconstruction/re-education.
Erised chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
I had an idea when I woke up this morning, all too late.

Harry suggests to Voldemort that hemight use the Mirror of Erised as a potion component to make a potion of Atlantian Knowledge. Any other knowledge given is moot due to the nature of his plan. He speaks the words with trepidation, as they mark the incantation of a "dark" ritual or truly terrible cost.

Skip forward 100 years to find grey goo encroaching on the Magical World, with only Voldemort and Hermoine and a few of Voldemort's followers who were granted immortality still alive, as they were the only ones able to survive the sudden gas attack of the paperclip optimizer that is destroying the world, invented, as it so happens, by a person born the very day that a mountain troll was stalking around Hogwarts.

Seeing his mistake, Voldemort faces a grim choice, and chooses to brew the potion Potter had told him about all those years ago. With his newfound knowledge, he casts a spell on himself, one which erases his own existence from time, in order to save the stars.

Back to the present, Harry Potter, sans scar, catches the snitch. Griffindor wins the house cup.

The end.

This ending is sad in its own way.
khaines tchaik chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
This "solution" fits Harry perfectly. I still couldn't be more disappointed in Harry. I've wanted him to be Good since the very beginning, to give up his attempts to be lethal... and he just went and killed 36 people.

Break a wizard's wand and they can't cast spells. Break their legs, and they would have to drag themselves by their arms to move anywhere. If that wasn't enough, well you could remove their hands and arms too. It is possible they would have been able to do magic anyway - maybe some of them have emergency portkeys - Well good, I want them to survive. Maybe some of them are poisoness snake animagus - well then, I hope you grab the time-turner fast to get help dealing with that. Snakes aren't THAT poisoness though - he would have time to get help. It would be messy. Maybe some of them would die anyway - but why didn't you try to save these people's life? In the best case scenario, limbs are reattached and wands are repaired or replaced before these people face justice.

Now you have an hour before these people die. Supposedly it is possible to reattach heads (spinal cord splicing is possible in the muggle world on animals, barely) - please, it is worth a try. That or make them homunculus or something. Please don't be Bad too.

Am I the only one thinking this?
Guest Reviewer chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
I know it would be a 'spoiler', but at this point the story needs a 'DarkLord!Harry' identifier in the summary, if not a 'SuperDarkLord!Harry' identifier. 'Harry Potter' has just cold-bloodedly killed 36 people - including almost certainly Lucius Malfoy, unless he's about to time-turn his way out of that one - and rather than subject himself to legal proceedings to see if a 'not guilty by reason of justifiable homicide' verdict comes back, he's running away from the scene of his probable crime, no doubt on the basis that he's entitled not to subject himself to even the possibility of opprobrium of likely idiots. (Which sounds sort of familiar, but then he *is* Tom Morfin Riddle, after all.)
Anyway; story summary needs a 'Dark Lord' identifier.
Daerdemandt chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Obliviation is the thing Riddle heard of, he may have made precautions against it.
First of all, old-type horcruxes. Harry will have to keep Tom away of them, but there're not lots of them nearby, so that'll be easy.
Bigger problem might be his newer horcrux network.
Riddle fully trusted noone and half-trusted himself, so there's a question how the network works.
If you can turn your horcrux to set of external eyes, why not do it with every horcrux, not intended to be lost? I suppose it was intended, but didn't happen with Harry because it's the later step of the process.
I also suppose Riddle didn't manage proper merging, for that he will just be hivemind. So I assume he used holistic approach and his network is either one big stack of static backups or one storage with 107 redundancy that gets overwritten every time horcrux is created. The latter will allow to destroy the whole network with one corrupted backup, so I assume former. Also there should be some mechanism, like a keyring, with more recent horcruxes having keys to less recent. This way, there's always a way to define what version should take precedence, even after some of horcruxes are destroyed, but again, one malicious backup may destroy the whole network. For that he has his nice limitation of forced friendship of network towards every its member until this member attacks another one and I suppose one horcrux cannot rewrite another. Or it can, but only older ones, so everything can be fixed with creating one more. Former seems safer, for there's nothing to fix.
I suppose he doesn't trust his past selfs enough to let them judge if new instance of him is to be accepted, so there are some formal rules that define him and nothing more, and these rules seem to be met now.
So, if he lost keys to the network then touching new horcrux may be dangerous, if keys are embedded in him so he haven't lost them, then he's safer, for he deemed tampering with horcrux's memory more plausible than with his own.

But there can be one more, apart from old horcruxes, precaution against losing memory or corrupting it.
Since he doesn't trust other selves, he holds master key to the network. It may be held in his memory in a way that destroys the key when intrusion is suspected and he may also have devices that undo all tampering with memory, and enchant himself to regularily notify himself of these things' position. One of this devices may be his skull, carved with runes.
And there also may be forced reborn if he fails to do something for a long time, just in case he slipped on the floor in some cave where he was alone, magic doesn't let him starve to death but doesn't let him out of coma either.
Andante825 chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Prediction for Harry's last spin of the Time-Turner: He goes back an hour, finds Cedric at the Quidditch match, and Cedric uses his Time-Turner to go back and warn Dumbledore based on Harry's detailed information of what happens when Voldemort/Harry reach the Mirror.
BesGranits chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
If Harry has no magic left, how does he sustain the Voldemort transfiguration?
Also, I hope this is not the true solution, because, really, only a movie villain will lose in such a manner. Maybe not with the Stunner - that wasn't obvious, but with everything else before that. He should have had one of his death eaters paralyze Harry from the neck down. Instead he left him the wand.
sv.ryumin chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
The fact that Harry could manipulate the transfigured object and 'sense' it's position in space (given that it's very thin and can hardly be seen) was not announced previously as his perk. So it kind of violates the author's own rules to this task... yes he could make a long wire, but how did he make it twist around and tie in knots properly? he must have been applying some force to the object then, and sense it in some way to coordinate actions. where did it all come from?
Guest chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
I'm happy to see that I predicted many things that happened: the use of partial transfiguration, as well as the threat of anti-matter to gain some time. I didn't predict that he would transfigure his wand, since I thought that with timeless physics he would have been able to transfigure matter without touching it directly, just touching mere air... But I assume that that would have been overkill and overpowered.

I also predicted that he couldn't and wouldn't kill Voldemort, because of the Horcruxes, but I thought that he would destroy the part of is brain which controls memory by transmuting a part of it in acid for a brief time.

I actually did not remember that Harry could cast oblivion charm, when did he learnt it?
sergey.ryumin.9 chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Obvious failure: if Harry is depleted of all magic, how come he can sustain Voldie's transfiguration? Should it not revert itself at once or there is still some delay effect?

Impairing Voldie's mind is a great idea, however I thought he would make a physical lobotomy using partial transfiguration (like with troll's brain) to deprive him of ability to think logically and plan his actions.

Also, Harry had no need to exhaust himself obliviating Voldie at once - he was quite harmless in transfigured and stunned form. Harry could make obliviation later when he had more knowledge and practice on the subject.
CJT chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Fridge logic time:

- The horcrux rituals, old and new, were designed to make backups of a person's mind-state in objects. The new version performed running updates, which might propagate oblivation to the backups and contaminate them, but it's very likely that Voldemort built in some kind of safeguard against that (mental attacks are not uncommon among wizards). The old version of the horcrux - which younger Tom Riddle used at least once - wasn't vulnerable to this at all (but would restore a much younger version of Voldemort's mind-state).

Long story short, as soon as Voldemort's mind is re-synched with his backup network, he's back.

- Voldemort anticipated and built counters to most forms of attack. It seems likely that he'd have counters and safeguards readied against mental attack, especially since he frequently used such attacks himself. Why didn't these come into play? (Or did they, with him departing his new body as soon as things went south?)

That said, the fundamental principle of Harry's attack - sequestering Voldemort's active instance rather than trying to kill him - is sound. Dumbledore tried the same thing. (And now that Voldemort's aware of the approach, it'll become considerably more difficult to implement.)
jrforjc chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed. Carbon nanotubes wouldn't work like that. A monofilament wire just doesn't have the tensile strength to cut anyone, sorry!
Mirach chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
I must say that not knowing if a viable solution has been posted made reading the last chapters much more suspenseful than reading any other story where you know that either the hero has to survive, or at least the story should end well. When thinking about the final exam, I was actually more concerned about the prophecy and possible apocalypse than Harry's survival, and so a few things are not quite clear to me: Is Harry now free of the unbreakable vow, as its keeper is dead? And wouldn't the Vow prevent him from killing the keeper of it in the first place, seeing it as an action potentially leading to its breaking? Also, was it necessary to kill all Death Eaters? Severing their hands like with Voldemort would possibly incapacitate them enough for a moment at least, and that would be enough for Harry to get to the time-turner and prepare a better plan, wouldn't it?
nekomode chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
OMG Sirius and Lucius are dead! I know that they really are death eaters (at least, Lucius is) but THEY'RE DEAD. The consequence for Harry isn't going to be pretty. OMG THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION, ISN'T IT?! I can't believe that we've all failed the final exam!
Please don't tell me that it's Hermione who's going to kill Harry.
Btw, did Sirius escape Azkaban a la Barty Crouch Jr?
Ewing chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
And please don't try to say that it's the same as people wondering how Harry was allow to keep his glasses on (a-la reddit comment). Sure, there was a possibility of some genius way to save Harry by use of glasses (I did think something like that could happen, without trying to come up with scientific explanation as it's not my forte), but it would be more believable for Voldie to miss none the less. Glasses are glasses - the wand is a loaded weapon with endless functions, which you're not allowed to raise, but that's about it. You're letting your enemy keep their weapon even after it is necessary. Lulling Harry into false sense of security and then stunning/killing him unexpectedly would be better way to go about killing him when you KNOW for a fact that the dude has some power you know not. Seriously. It could be absolutely anything.

Thinking reasonably, IMO, EITHER you believe that Harry won't be able to get away from situation like one at the end of chapter 113 (in which case, it's unnecessary to risk him being able to talk, keep his wand, THINK, you should try to get rid of him before he uses the power he knows not, OR concentrate on finding out this power first above anything else, coz it could totally change entire picture, all for some VOW he'll be too dead to be bound by) OR you believe he's so ridiculously overpowered as to get away from this, in which case you're even more insane to let him talk, think, keep his wand even... I am thinking about it from Voldie's perspective, where it doesn't matter that the world survives if he's left in permanent vegetative etc state (a solution everyone could foresee). If Harry can get away from B than Voldie's for all intents and purposes probably dead anyway. Sure, the world has less chances of being destroyed by what do you (voldie) care?
Voldie acted like his priorities were A) saving the world B) staying alive and at large, not the other way around.

As for Harry's moral solution to Voldie's existence, IMO he might as well erase his entire personality and leave him as vegetable (since he can't kill him outright). For a guy like this, erasing "all the bad stuff" is the same as erasing him entirely or killing him. Sure, morally it is justified! I am just saying there is no difference.
Tiuri chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Although Harry's eventual actions followed a similar pattern to what I though of myself (stall for time in Parselmouth while partially transfiguring *something*. The only way to fulfill the original prophecy) I confess I couldn't find a fully viable option. Antimatter seemed to violate the rule that Harry had to _evade_ death. The threat of antimatter was, however, very effective. Carbon nanotubes hadn't come to my mind at all. Though I can see how the approach appeals to the author of this universe stacked with a ridiculous amount of cheating options: one does not solve such a situation with strength, one does it by being efficient. And pretty ruthless, as it turns out.
Thank you, Eliezer Yudkowsky, for taking our crude suggestions as 'viable options', and working them into this tale so much more eloquently than we ever could have.
Also thank you for the challenge: I enjoyed it immensely.
powera chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
A crazy theory for what happens next, but one too good to not post:

Harry permanently transfigures Voldemort into the infant Harry Potter, and using Phoenix time travel, goes back to 1981 and replaces himself with Voldemort.

This explains:
1) Why the Marauder's Map says Harry is Tom Riddle (chapter 105).
2) Why the Remembrall says Harry has forgotten a ton (chapter 17).
3) The 'spoiler' quote from Chapter 5: "It would've required a supernatural intervention for him to have your morality given his environment." (wait, that quote actually showed up in chapter 87, but it would work even better for a tabula rasa of Voldemort being re-raised and turning out less evil)
4) Why we have heard all these foreshadowing things about phoenixes but they haven't actually been used for anything relevant yet.
5) Why Voldemort might have been deliberately acting stupid these past few chapters (if he figured this out and knows his future, he might as well lose to Harry in the most dramatic looking way possible).

I have absolutely no idea how this comes into play from a literary or dramatic point of view (or what happens to the actual Harry Potter), and it does seem needlessly complicated. But it also seems to be a way to tie up several of the loose ends remaining.
waynemcdougall chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
Harry is attempting to fake a crime scene so what happened won't be revealed. Isn't he forgetting:

1. The likelihood that at least one of the DeathEaters has left a ghost who will have a very different story to tell.
2. Priori incantatem on the wand in Quirrell's hand will show that he didn't perform a heroic (abeit fatal) destruction of Lord Voldemort as he was being resurrected

I'm sure the obvious scene will convince Hogwart professors, but Aurors? Moody? Bones? Surely looking for a ghost to interrogate would be standard operating procedure. And everyone seems to use priori incantatem
Celaeno chapter 115 . 3/4/2015
My bet: this is most of the short, not good ending. At once too bloody, too efficient, too much dialogue and action lifted from actual reviews, Harry the remorseless killing machine, ignoring all those liters of blood that would have been spraying EVERYWHERE. It's too much like something the Mirror would supply for Harry, his mirror view of him overcoming Voldemort, just as the Mirror gave Voldemort his desired view of him overcoming Dumbledore. Both of them, WINNING, both Tom Riddles doing what was in the end the most important thing for each one.

I suspect the remainder will be mostly Dumbledore giving the explication: how he came to understand about the two Toms and realized the desperate fact that neither of them could be allowed to stay in this particular universe: Harry was a charming, brilliant, ruthless and incredibly dangerous v.2 of Voldemort, more talented and far more disastrously loveable, and his obsession with Hermione and ending death could have no good ending at all. And so both of them will have been entrapped in the Mirror, presumably in some kind of stasis, living out their own visions forever. Pity about Hermione, shame about Harry's family losing their lovely boy, but what are you going to do?
Abdullahsaurus chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Epic, chapter title says ut all.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I am impressed, even left awestruck, by this arc. Well-done, Eliezer.
badkidoh chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Yet another great chapter.
I wonder if Harry will tell Hermione what really happened later before she finds out about her new healing ability and i guess she would need to know about her book horcurx. also i wounder if have will make hi own horcurx given that he just killed a lot of deatheaters, although I don't know if there is a time limit before the tears in his soul forum killing them heals on it's own?
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Well. That was certainly an inventive way to kill all of those death eaters. Great two chapters can't wait for the next one!
Will Write chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Problem with this is that this solution hinges on applying a difficult technique,
or procedure (the oblivate spell), with which he has no experience whatsoever. A procedure where it it is hard to see how could he detect any error he might make. Also not only he is relying in his using this (admitedly hard) spell flawlessly when using it the first time ever, he is also relying on using it flawlessly in a non-trivial, sellective way. He would have been much safer with a a blanket oblivation that left Riddle a "blank slate", ensuring the erasure of the most dangerous knowledge mr. Riddle had acquired of him (Harry) and of muggle techniques.
Emptylord chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
To those wondering why Voldemort let Harry keep his wand - Voldemort could not remove it. Their magic couldn't touch. They could even sense each other when connected via the spidersilk. Why didn't he get one of his death eaters to remove Harry's wand? Harry needed the wand to perform the Unbreakable Vow, after which Voldemort felt safe (maybe erroneously). My issue with this chapter is that Harry killed the death eaters instead of incapacitating them - surely cutting off all their hands and stunning their leader would just make them scatter, as they did in the canon Deathly Hallows.

As an aside, is the Unbreakable Vow still binding when all other parties are dead?
Shadowfang chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Interesting that Harry kills all the deatheaters outright and then shows fairly considerable compassion to Voldemort. I suppose he had to, if Voldemort couldn't actually be killed, but nevertheless had to be taken out of action. The Obliviate was a nice touch.

I have to say I thought Sirius would be turning up at some point, both because of the "I'm not serious" moment in Azkaban, and also because the Sneakoscope kept going off in the section where Moody was telling the story about David Monroe, and because in that same section, the word "serious" occurs about fifty times. And at some later time, Quirrell also says something to Harry like "Are we serious?" It seemed like too much to be just coincidence, but I guess we are getting late in the story for that kind of plot twist.

Can't wait to see some of the other ends tied up - Dumbledore and Narcissa, the wand of dread power, what becomes of Draco, what becomes of Hermione, whether or not Lucius was at the deatheater party, etc.
definitelynotaminion chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Fabulous. Utterly brilliant. I have no words. Only awe. And tomorrow is March 4th.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
To those asking about if Harry took the stone:
"Harry placed the Stone of Permanency in an ordinary pocket, he wasn't sure what the Stone might do to his pouch." This is somewhere around 90% down the page, a few paragraphs before he gets out the balloon.
sunflower13 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Thank the heavens for whoever came up with that solution. You wrote it really well too. I'm very curious about the symbolism of Hermione's Gryffindor robes.
re:amilne0169

not like much of a plot was necessary or overtly present in the majority of this year either, voldermort's existence or nonexistance (or possible reform as a dying "quirrel" deciding to teach) was up in the air til the end and before that was a large span where not even that much of him was an important part of the plot

so there could still be a year 2 if author wanted
Azjerban chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Two chapters in one day! I must say, this is a lovely birthday present.
Remvis chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
So after chapter 113 was uploaded, none of the nigh 50 consistantly updating fanfics I follow uploaded until after these past two chapters were put up. And so the world watched on with bated breath. Anyways, great solution.
Unmaker chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Harry is not looking too hard at the fallen Death Eaters because he will contact Lucius and tell him (and anyone else Lucius trusts) to wear a neck protector. When Harry leaves the scene, the protected Death Eaters pick themselves up and go. Of course, since officially Harry is out of magic now and can't go back in time further, that means he has to use alternate routes of communication, e.g. Draco.
zolydck chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
hmm that would work on everything BUT the traditional horocrux.

For example the diary did not gain any memories besides the original set it was imbued with and as such their is a realistic chance of a young Voldemort reemerging. It's kind of ironic how in the end his most horocrux keep being his original ones.

Note: I am pointing this out because I want a sequel simply due to this story being so damn good.
anon chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
An absolutely epic story you've got here. Seems like you could be bringing this to a close soon, how much further do you think you'll have to go with it?
vianmeor chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Everything's astounding and at a head!
amilne0169 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Umm. I still want a sequel, even if it doesn't really have much of a plot.
I want harry to take over the world in his second year.
That is all.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I feel happy how this happened. I open at the close, right? I was wondering how the first words of this fic pertained to the story.
Francis chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
We're about to get the bad ending in the next chapter, aren't we?
YlvaThorgalsdottir chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Does Hermione still have the Stone? Wouldn't that mean it'd end up with whoever came upon her sleeping? She herself might not realise what it was if she woke up from the explosion. It is literally a way to grant immortality to anyone who wants it. Hermione is already immortal (and who knows if she'll stay physiologically twelve forever, like Claudia). This is more selfish than pre-Bella Luminosity-vampires.

I'll bet the Quidditch match is still going strong.
PerennialChild chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Can't believe it's ending so soon! Hope Time-Turned Harry manages to save Lucius (or maybe not? Yet I can't imagine him hiding that he murdered Draco's father for the rest of his life) AND get himself an alibi. Then he could try and retrieve Dumbledore? Maybe?

Imagine alibis are useless in the wizarding world when you have Time Turners in the first place, but w/e

Hey, it's only a matter of time before Flamel (?) starts going after Harry for the Stone, right? That's going to be a crazy scary confrontation-will Harry take the stone hostage and return in exchange for mentorship? How could he possibly hide it safely from someone with as much knowledge and power as Perenelle? I did love the theory that Quirrel's cynical bias led him to believe Flamel and his wife were the same person, rather than being Baba Yaga and Perenelle The optimistic theory sounds much more plausible.

Question: Is Hermione's natural magical ability (to cast spells, etc) impaired now-is the limited spark of magic from Harry's Patronus now the only wizarding magic she can command? Is all of the magic that she possessed before her death permanently lost? Not that I'm complaining about her practical invincibility, but it would suck if she's now incapable of casting anything but the weakest of spells. Or did it just jumpstart her magic so that the Universe decided to attach the normal amount of magic to her magic DNA marker again or whatever?
scorpioneldar chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
that is... not the solution i thought of
in many ways it is cleaner but it is odd to me
well written regardless i am impressed
Ewing chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
It really doesn't pay for an author to try and to create officially very smart villain. Sure, it's a joy to read about smart people, but writing about them is pain in the ass.

Why, why would Quirrellmort let Harry keep his wand. It is unnecessary and is just inviting trouble. Especially since he knows that Harry has some unknown power!
But, but, what's the worst that could happen, right? Well, he just wasn't near paranoid enough.
I'd at very least tie his hands up and would be very reluctant to let him move his lips at all. Of course, it fits general pattern of your scientifically smart characters doing something moronic, like Harry rushing into the plot to save Bellatrix Black of all people (the most loyal and sadistic follower of LV) from Azkaban. Without even discussing more worthy potential escapies or simply freaking out about very obvious implications of such request. I'd buy it better if it was previous orphaned Harry, way too desperate to cling to delusion of caring adult.

I suppose in a way it's realistic. Makes them human. Also shows that no amount of intellect can sometimes make up for lack of simple old fashioned cowardice.

Somehow the ending felt anticlimatic for me, and by ending I mean the ending to long standing relationship between Harry and Quirrelmort. I can see how you'd think there is nothing left to say here, but somehow I wish they'd get to talk more. But it's a personal preference.

I really wish I could imagine you having another ending up your sleeve. But this one perfectly satisfy the need for your suieish self-insert to look as good as possible, so that's unlikely.
PersonA chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Was Harry hallucinating? LV seemed so intelligent, and then he allowed Harry to keep his wand, gave him 60 secs to think (knowing Harry's talent for worming himself out of tricky situations), and didn't put up any protective spells around him or his death eaters. Seriously, I think that Harry will wake up somewhere, Quieted and wandless, with the real LV laughing at him. (Did Harry eat anything at the Quidditch match?)
Shay McSudonim chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I hate to be a party pooper, but I'm kind of worried because at no point has LessWrong actually said that we got the good ending. Especially since, if Harry's still trapped in the mirror, going back in time to mess around with the simulation further is the opposite of helpful.

Maybe it'll help him realize that something's up? Time travel has previously proven useful for more objective observation, after all.
douglas.n.corey chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I would rather Harry have done it without all the dead Death Eaters. He could have done to them the same as he did to Voldemort, cutting off the hands, that is, and stun them. Then call for some help, one person (Alistor Moody, maybe), to help set it up so that Quirrell would have appeared to have died while fighting the battle, and memory charm the *living* Death Eaters.
Grabix chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Hm... it seems that Voldie should have thrown a Protego at himself somewhere at the beginning :/ ... well... Homo/anguis erratum est.

To reviewer who listed "Other dangling plot threads include:", you forgot "6) How magic works" ! :P

To Perin Valin: I don't know, but the original horcruxes have copies of person, but new-better-Voldie's-horcruxes are some thing better. It seems that that copies are on-line updateted, so Harry probably override (oblivate) all of them. Or it even looks more like they are samohow connected spare BODIES and one's mind can freely swap between them. What I don't really understand is how this new horcruxes are connected to old (Voldie said he had to use old horcrux to go back, so they have to be somehow connected) but simultaneously Harry is not connected to them :/
7544987644972000 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
This would possibly be better posted on a different chapter, but I can't remember which one it was. I REALLY don't think it's a good idea to list the characters as Hermione G. and Tom R. Jr. Yes, it's more accurate, but it's a HUGE spoiler for new readers. And listing it as Harry Potter isn't exactly wrong. I don't really expect this review to change anything, since I expect you've thought of all this. Just my two cents.
ContextGirl chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I'm a bit disappointed, somehow. Though the obliviation part is very well thought off, I have to say that. It's the perfect spell.
Treant Balewood chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Woot! Damn can you scream EPIC!
Arbitrary chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I confess myself somewhat disappointed; spider-silk is certainly an elegant solution, but I'm not sure why it is superior to using microwaves (microwaves specifically since they interact so well with organic matter) to induce heatstroke-which some or all of the death eaters might survive. I suppose my method carries some risk that Harry will be unable to make a sufficient intensity burst to render all the death eaters unconscious or that the masks may be reflective (or absorptive) in that frequency range, though if the latter is the case, the death eaters are likely only to notice their masks suddenly heating up. Maybe he should have fired a microwave burst after forming his spider-silk system, and then using the spider-silk if it failed?

Ah, well, maybe you can include an omake where Harry tried this and succeeded or failed (which could still use sudden heating of the masks as a brief distraction for some other method).
thepkrmgc chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
its good to see that harry found it in himself to be merciful, nice job circumventing riddles immortality
hubizza chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Expected more from "Harry fully reveal himself as a rationalist".
Axemaster chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Meh. After all the buildup, I was expecting a more impressive ending. The field was tilted almost overwhelmingly in Harry's favor in tactical terms.

Voldemort's mistakes:
- Letting Harry keep his wand. Why, oh why did he do this? It truly makes no sense. It's like a police officer putting an armed, un-handcuffed criminal in his police car. Either Voldemort picked up a humongous Idiot Ball (i.e. Eliezer messed up), or everything that just happened was part of Voldy's plan (which really strains credulity to the limit).
- Giving Harry the initiative. Voldemort lost the moment he allowed an armed Harry the time to prepare an attack. In this Harry Potter universe, where things are taken seriously, the attack power of magic is so high that whoever launches the first spell is basically guaranteed to win. As a veteran of many battles, Voldemort should have known this rule bone-deep.
- Voldemort just sits up there in the sky, without any shields or proximity alarms or anything to protect him. Even a Muggle could just blow his brains out with a sniper rifle. Idiot Ball.

General Inconsistencies:
- It was never established that a wand can transfigure part of itself. Offhand, it seems like that ought to cause problems, like feedback or magical instability or something.
- It was never established that a transfiguration can transmit through an extended object. But I'll accept it as informally established, because it makes a lot of sense. What does NOT make sense, is Harry having the ability to send spider silk out in such an arbitrary way. How would he control the movement of the thread? The only obvious way is to bend it by lengthening one side faster than the other, but the thread should just get all messy that way. I'm not convinced it's even THEORETICALLY possible to do what he did, much less actually pull it off in a short combat timeframe.
- Harry shouldn't have been able to threaten Voldy with the antimatter. The Vow would have prevented it. Harry was bound to listen to Hermione's advice, but he couldn't do that if she got blown up.

I'm sure I could find more inconsistencies, but why bother. To put it bluntly, these two chapters were very weird and felt unpolished compared to the previous work.
Perin Valin chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
This story doesn't seem to be self-consistent.

What is the nature or the Horcruxes? Are they anchors for the "one true soul" or was the in-universe description accurate and they are merely new instances, reasonably accurate copies, forged from the energies of the victim required by the spell? If Voldemort has a Horcrux Matrix that stores improved copies it seems obvious that this system would compare saved mind-states and intelligently choose a copy with few blaring discrepancies. The problem of storing an outdated version of yourself has been ostensibly overcome with the new Horcrux system so, real-time updating must be in effect. There is nothing in the story that should prevent Voldemort from imprinting his most recent self onto as many people as he can get his hands on. There is no HPMOR Voldemort that would fail to imagine the threat of obliviation/confundus/imperio/transfiguration on his immortal self if, in fact, there was any individual iteration of Voldemort that could be seen as the true one.

Regardless, nothing Harry has done un-makes the original Horcruxes, which means it is only a matter of time before Voldemort is reborn from an outdated copy or the Improved Horcrux Matrix. Containing and obliviating a Voldemort is useful only as means of extracting powerful magics like the improved Horcrux spell. Maybe he can function as a soldier against the coming army of Voldemorts. Better yet, Harry should confund/patronus the Voldepuppet into believing that he is a displaced aspect of Harry and make it transfer all of it's magic and knowledge into Harry via legilimency/patronus/silvery memory "worms"... Gather up all that knowledge and power regardless of what may be coming. Voldepuppet can be stored contingent upon possible further uses, like a live connection to an active horcrux network.

Also, why is Voldemort suddenly a complete idiot? All of his keen senses and observational skills were thrown out the window so that Harry could do some flashy gunslinging. In what universe does Voldemort not sense and not notice that anything at all is happening. Magical resonance, glinting moonlight... apparently Harry has absolute control over his musculature, he can even prohibit involuntary micro-expressions in addition to his Perfect Aim with practically invisible flying thread-weapons.

This and more random nonsense leads me to believe (hope) that Voldemort was just sacrificing a meaningless iteration of himself to learn what unknown power Harry might have that could save him, and that Harry, ever the inexperienced fool, has played right into his hands by revealing Secrets and Powers of value.

I really expected a solution where Harry was required to deduce something about the nature of reality, whether it was the mirror (I particularly enjoyed envisioning Eliezer as one of the Atlanteans laboring to complete the mirror in the true reality on the other side, whether the moment is historical there though...), Harry's own nature as an iteration of Tom Riddle or just what the implications of having a Horcrux Matrix with Soul Projection would be in terms of immortalizing someone. The whole Voldemort-Horcrux Matrix is essentially a magical singularity. You can't just beat it by modifying tiny bits of matter. Deducing from the Interdict of Merlin, the Improved Horcrux system itself must be, in some sense, alive.

If everything stands as it is then this ending retroactively ruins the entire story.

Ch. 102 and 108 are especially relevant to the Horcruxes.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Time to go back and save Lucius and/or Dumbledore.

Other dangling plot threads include:
1) Who will inherit Magical Britain?
2) What, precisely, were the events surrounding the disappearance of Narcissa Malfoy?
3) The fate of Bellatrix Lastrange (and her son, I suppose)
4) The abolishment of Azkaban
5) The defeat of Death

There are probably more, but these are what spring to mind. I'm glad we've been promised six more chapters.
singalen chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I wish I could think of it earlier...
Partial Transfiguration is a misleading name - it hides its full potential. As described, True Transfiguration is more like Becomus Godus. Because no OBJECT BOUNDARIES make sense. Air should be transfigurable because air limitation doesn't make sense on quark level. VACUUM should be transfigurable!
You say, diffindo? Diffindo your mass and energy! Four molecule-thin sheets of air and Death Eaters' bodies transfigured to polonium would serve them in slices or in cubes, and poison them to be sure they stay dead. Or use butter instead to make sure they don't stay in one piece.
That's even without antimatter.
But True Transfiguration is even more overpowered.
It's based on TIMELESS physics. Where time is just another direction Transfiguration can spread into. You can transfigure an object into its PAST. Well, maybe that takes too much energy, but again - couple of antimatter molecules shifted even some seconds back into the right time...
Maybe even mass doesn't matter. If it's the case, one can Transfigure Universe into its past. Ouch, that already qualifies as destroying the world... But you get the idea - that is Atlantis-scale power.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I have to assume that the author set up this ending at the beginning

I'm estimating that something like a hundred people suggested the "carbon nanofilament death noose" tactic. An unknown number of these did so independently- but it [i]is[/i] a canonical ability, one that was literally never used for anything else throughout the story, so it makes a good Chekhov's gun.

Wafting it out to the Death Eaters was tricky- but that's probably why Harry used spider silk filaments first.
_

As to why Harry didn't just whittle away at Voldemort's memory to allow him to "just be Professor Quirrell..."

"Professor Quirrell" was a very bitter man, with a great many memories, experiences, and peculiarities. And one with a great deal of mental discipline. Voldemort being able to remember everything he did as Professor Quirrell would leave him with too many clues about what he'd done BEFORE becoming Professor Quirrell; he'd predictably unravel all the relevant secrets and possibly revert to type.

And Potter can't possibly have fine enough control to Obliviate only the parts of Voldemort's memories that would be 'incriminating' to the mind of Quirrellmort, while leaving behind the parts that wouldn't.

Much better to just fry his entire episodic memory back to infancy (assuming that's possible). He's still (hopefully maybe) [i]smart[/i] like Quirrellmort, but he doesn't remember any of the horrible experiences and evil deeds that turned him into such a horrible person.

As to the transfiguration, it may well be that what is forbidden is interaction of their [i]magics[/i], in which case manipulating Voldemort's unconscious body would be safe. Although Harry as an infant didn't have any magic to speak of, so if it was the resonance effect that blew Voldemort up, it has have been almost entirely an echo blowing back on him.
Nutcase chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Harry reached the Quiddich game. "Look", he said, "I defeated Voldie and all his minions while you've been playing that stupid game. JUST BUY A CLOCK!"
spaghettiWmeatballs chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Draco's gonna freak when he finds out his father's dead. And Draco's been trained by Harry... end of the world candidates, anyone?
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Leaf transfiguration not a good idea. He's planning on blowing that up right? Inhalation of leaf probably not big deal, but overly risky move...
Isak chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Is YOUR archenemy IMMORTAL? Then SUSPENDED ANIMATION may JUST be the thing YOU NEED!
Iain Duncan chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
All I have to say in reply to this is the following: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Purple Floof chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
To the people who are stating he never had the ability to levitate things as well, I would argue that he's not levitating anything, rather he's transfiguring things into a certain direction.
Hyp3rB14d3 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Okay, that was a lot more than I was expecting. I mean, holy crap. He just decapitated all of Voldemort's followers and took down Voldemort in one go.
MigueLemos chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I founded this creation after hearing about this on Reddit. And I have to say, after reading it complete, that it is the best thing ever. This specific ending was amazing. Bravo. I will print this and add it to my personal library. Thank you!
5 Coloured Walker chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
A good couple of chapters.
Sphere Warrior chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
"Harry was drained of magic for at least the next hour.

Harry mounted the broomstick, slowly rising into the air"
Brooms don't use magic?
CEB1970 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Thanks, that was fun!

It looks like a lot of people actually came up with basically the "correct" answer of winning some time with offers of trading information for lives, and then using partial transfiguration for the take down. Other answers were defensible, but this seemed to be the answer the story was building up to.

I'm curious how (if) any of the possible solutions that readers posted affected the final version. Some of V's dialogue actually seemed directed at the readers more than H.

Personally I had a bias against employing partial transfiguration to create spider silk since that seemed almost too reminiscent of an escape Taylor from Worm might have pulled off, but it has the benefit of being more or less believable (though controlling the direction of the silk in even the slightest wind requires a dose of credulity). Of course the only reason I'm aware of Worm is because you recommended it, so...

The point, I think, was that partial transfiguration offered a way out of the trap, one way or another. You could have easily picked any one of the infinite ways partial transfiguration could be employed, and each way may or may not have "actually" worked if reviewed with a critical enough eye. Ultimately it is just a *story* to explore rational thought, which some people seem to be overlooking. It can't be expected to be 100% perfect. I, for one, am satisfied by how this part of the story worked out and was glad to have the opportunity to "play along from home".

(Side note to people concerned about the Stone: Harry's thoughts indicated that he might use the Stone in the future at some point, so I think it is implicit that he took it, even if that wasn't explicitly stated that he did so.)
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
An epic and satisfying conclusion!
Except for one small note of confusion: Why did Voldemorte let Harry keep his wand?
Enthusiast 117 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Gotta say, I wasn't expecting Obliviation. I had totally forgotten he knew that spell.

It's weird, that so much of the cast are just... gone. It makes me very interested in what will happen next, as well as what Voldemort possibly has done in order to take so many hostages and whether Harry can figure it out and stop it before his time's up.

Seeing Harry at his peak is something of a treat though. I think I like where this all is going.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Wow, talk about the impossible! Dang that was cool! Can't wait to read the finale.
Jay-F chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I think I would have been more satisfied with this ending if we had not had the final exam. Because I had to think so much about it a) I became over committed to the ideas I came up with and b) I do not think that the carbon nano tube stunt was adequately prepared in advance as a possible power of Harry's. It is too much different from any other transfiguration we had seen in the story (with the degree of motion etc.).

Thanks for writing,

Jay
Rago Dragovian chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Honestly, I was completely disappointed with this ending. It felt so convoluted and anticlimactic. So what's next? Harry ends his own life? Harry breaks the world? This had to be the most boring conclusion out of all of your story arcs and that's a huge disappointment because everything else was done well.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
It's only like the fence if adding an extra metre took a couple of seconds while you were doing something else.

Why did Harry remove all the Quirrel bits?! He could have fulfilled his dream and just wiped everything but that, leaving just his beloved Defence Professor! :(

Also, how the heck was he able to DIRECTLY TRANSFIGURE a living breathing Voldemorte! The resonance should have made that impossible.
Notus Oren chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Fuckin hell. Was not expecting that. And now Harry has the Stone! He has his avenue for immortality for everyone!

I liked your solution to the immortal enemy problem, I've seen it once or twice before, but not quite as cleverly delivered.

I'm really really hoping that Voldemort isn't going to show up in the next chapter totally fine and murder everyone. Because goddamn that was so neatly done it'd break my heart to see it undone.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Is it still possible to go back in time and discover what really happens? Moody can do so...
Ron chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Nicely done. There is one thing, however, that, at least on the surface, seems to be missing: Voldemort writing the note (and arranging for it to be delivered) that brings Harry back in time five hours to start the whole process. I originally just assumed that now time-turned Harry would write it himself, making it off intentionally. But didn't Harry and Voldemort have a discussion about the note when Voldemort asked Harry what gave him away, such that if Voldemort hadn't written it he would have know there was a problem.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
That... was much simplier that when I thought needed to be done. Then again my way would not give you a pocket-amnesiac-Voldemort.
Rangalang chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
just to check, does the unbreakable vow still apply now that the person who supplied the magic is dead? I seem to remember a million chapters back Harry came up with the idea of using people close to death in the vow... I hope he finds a way out of it. The immediate crisis is over, but he's still going to need the fullest extent of his thinking capabilities in the coming chapters.
roman chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Read enough science fiction, you know, and you'll read everything at least once.

He retains his mental powers and his horcruxes – but his motivations are now entirely
different. The notion of Voldemort is a blank to him, and he is a man of peace. He
will be a far happier man henceforward, too, for the few years of life left him by his maladjusted
physique.(no nose)
ScottPress chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Haha.

Yeah, no.

I called it that you wrote yourself into a corner and whatever convoluted solution you came up with would require breaking at least one of the rules you yourself defined and I was right.

Harry has never demonstrated the ability to levitate things with such fine precision, least of all not while performing other magic at the same time. Simultaneous transfiguration and levitation with such precision and skill is Harry getting a sudden power up in sixty seconds. Not to mention that being able to suddenly outsmart an opponent such as Voldemort, who carried out a complicated plot, fooling everyone over the course of several months is also a sudden skill boost.

We both know what the real ending is. Harry fails to outsmart the superior version of himself and dies.

Anticlimactic, disappointing and impossible within the rules you set for yourself, all because The Good and Rationalism personified had to win in the end. When you make your villain practically invincible and hand him all the aces, it follows that the villain must win.
Lendary chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
That works too I suppose. I believed that if Harry cast spells on Voldemort they would explode instead of providing their intended effects, like the killing curse at Azkaban did. That's why my plan was so much more complicated, I thought Harry needed other people to do the stunning and obliviation for him. That way he can keep the stone. Good work Harry, I sure as hell didn't come up with my plan in 40 seconds. And it's nice to see that you're moral compass is still so strongly aligned with mine. I just hope Lucius Malfoy wasn't one of these guys, or someone is going to be PISSED.
doyou000me chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Having read through this story over the past few days, I have come to the conclusion that you must either be a genious or be sitting on top of a Mount Everest of research. Either way, I am in awe of what you have created here and I can't even imagine how you've done it. To be able to write this, either your imagination or your intelligence (or both) must be of unrivalled measures and that must put you dangerously close to being the way Harry is in this story. I cannot imagine a normal person writing something like this, and it's not meant as an inslut. You and this story of yours are brilliant in every way. I look forward to the next chapter tomorrow.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
So, that's It. I think, that the next step is to bring Voldy to the Ministry's arc of death.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I am also interested in the latex source since the internet has recently taught me the art of bookbinding (thanks everyone).
s-david-m chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Interesting solution. The mind arts of the HP books are truly horrifying when you really think about it. However, it's not clear that Cruciatus-insanity or obliviation transfers to the soul, or whether its purely an effect in the brain. Regardless, it's an important safeguard since this incarnated Voldemort won't try to die before his time, which gives plenty of breathing room.

My memory might be failing me, but I didn't think Harry's partial transfiguration was that easy for him. Even so, it seems like it would be incredibly difficult to progressively lengthen such a strand, because small air currents would blow it everywhere. But charitably assuming he learned to quickly partially transfigure and could control the direction of a transfigured strand, it's a clever solution!

I hope you have a final closing chapter with an older Harry that is finally dealing with Tom for good. For instance, transfigure him into a child and raise him. An immortal "good" Tom could be quite a force for good.
Bert2368 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Suggestion: Hydrogen is explosive with, and truly detonates in air mixtures (let alone mixed with pure Oxygen!) over a very wide range of mixtures... Harry should be using a H2 & O2 cylinder, the balloon may then be allowed to float off with fuse lit, only requiring its own buoyancy.

Using a high explosive booster in a fuel air mix does produce a true detonation over a wider range than merely igniting an explosive mixture, but the initiation via dynamite is overkill for this application- The balloon filled with a stoichiometric mixture would be horrendously loud without the booster, I have experienced this from broken ear drums distance...
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
If Voldemort's Improved Horcruxes do not have redundant copies of his mind that are activated when someone someone tampers with his "true self" I am calling shenanigans. There is no version of Voldemort that wouldn't incorporate the outdated copy possession of the flawed Horcrux into an advanced Horcrux that updates his backup in real-time. As soon as he is obliviated his Horcruxes should immediately detect the corruption and copy the instance to a tertiary node in the network in favor of resurrecting the last update with the most similarities to prior banked versions pending review by a conscious Voldemort. Voldemort would never fail to imagine this kind of risk so the reality presented is not the reality I believe.

Also, why aren't there at least a dozen Voldemort clones simultaneously working at the behest of the Horcrux-Voldemort-Supermind. The nature of a Horcrux isn't to transfer the one true Voldemort soul from living vessel to living vessel, it is to ovewrite an existing soul so that it contains "Voldemort" instead of whoever it used to be. The improved Horcruxes should be possessing Wizards and Witches non-stop. It only takes one Voldemort to start the process and then it's Voldemort World.

There is no winning against Voldemort that doesn't violate everything his character is supposed to be. You can't just Un-Smarten him when you realize that the future an intelligent Voldemort will craft is untenable. He should have felt or seen the spell Harry was weaving long before it neared completion, he suddenly loses his keen senses and attention to detail despite the fact that he would be on HIGH ALERT in this scenario. It's such a cop-out...

The only explanation that satisfies (me) is that he let Harry win in order to learn what power he possessed, and the little idiot just keeps playing into his hands. Unless Harry is an entity on par with Voldemort he can't win and there is no course of action except BECOMING like Voldemort that can ever lead to winning. Survival means nothing if Harry is forever bound by the whims of his creator and his own narrow scope of the universe.

I was really hoping the key to that predicament was going to be something Harry had to deduce about reality, his nature (as Tom Riddle), the nature of the mirror (I particularly enjoyed envisioning Eliezer as an Atlantean laboring to perfect the mirror in the true world on the other side of the mirror) or something like that, not just some flashy weaponry that COULD NEVER WORK against the Voldemort of HPMOR... I'm still hoping.
(Ang)
I didn't attempt the higher exam, but may I annotate this chapter for extra credit?
I notice that Harry does not look at the bodies of the fallen death eaters, perhaps to allow an unknown outcome which would prevent a time paradox compared to seeing specific details which cannot then be changed?
What if:
Mr White, who we think is Lucius, was late arriving because he was intercepted by a time turned Harry, who took his place?
Would that negate the constraints of his vow?
I'm also not certain that Dumbledore is dead, because, that whole scene could conceive ably still have been a construct of the mirror's function- what was the rune wording? Your "coherent extrapolated volition" Dumbledore being caught in his own trap is certainly a possible fit there.
I notice that I am concerned about Hermione's as yet unknown return to her 'concious self'.
That won't be as simple as awakening her and skipping off to breakfast, I'm guessing.
ayleid chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
You've done it, you magnificent bastard.
Now to deal with the aftermath.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I feel...I did inadequately on that test and most definitely sent Harry to his doom - it was even open book!
Speaking of books, I've seen (I'm assuming) fan-bound paperbacks of hpmor, really this is all one year though. Are there plans for more years? Will they be called something other than the Methods of Rationality? There's quite a bit more you could write about, since the end to this story isn't "and they defeat the dark lord and live happily ever after to see their children attend Hogwarts" but "Harry defeats death and fixes wizarding/muggle society" or are you only going to allude to this inevitable end? I'd imagine writing this as a bit draining, but that's why I don't write. You've already written so much, I just want copies of YOUR Harry Potter to share with my future kids.
I suppose selling "official" copies would be copyright infringement...what if they were thank-you "gifts" for donations though? Proceeds donated towards your favorite organization/allowing you to write more?
I was reading the reviews and I like the one that proposed once the law enforcement gets there they'll time turn back to see what happened, it's smart but the Ministry is made up of fools so I doubt someone would think to do that in their shocked state, unless it was part of their standard crime procedures and if it was there would be a lot less crimes happening. Why don't they have that already? Harry should implement it! Still, I feel like there have been a few movies that talk about death as self fulfilling, like Final Destination. Once you die even if you avoid death by murder you won't live for long because nothing except a deathly hallow can hide you from Death...but at least then you wouldn't die from a crime, right? Or if they let the victims die but observe the crime then at least they'll know who's guilty and will be there to arrest them. If you were a bystander/related to the victim in the crime then you might get pretty angry at the government for allowing the victim to die.
I foresee Harry returning to the Quidditch match and convincing them to change the rules will be his greatest public accomplishment of the day. But really, you keep me guessing.
The Sinister Man chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I, for one, am bitterly disappointed that the solution to defeating Voldemort did not involve the sharpened transfigured bones of Cedric Diggory. It always feels ... wrong somehow to read a Potter fanfic where Diggory lives to the end. Like an episode of South Park where Kenny doesn't die.
sokpuppette chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Dude, there is no such thing as a "bottle of oxyacetelene". The gasses are never mixed until they reach the torch head.
Mu chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
A lot can still happen in 6 more chapters.

While this was a reasonably tidy stretch of narrative, an awful lot is probably still in play.
OldFriend chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Since you liked my previous ideas, note, that Harry could ressurect death eaters : he knows incantations for obelisks and their brains hasn't suffered lack of oxygen for more than 5 minutes, unlike professor Quirrell.
Nicaragua chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
- Harry now has enough time to tell Lucious not to come. Maybe there were originally 40 Death Eaters and only 37 appeared
- Harry needs to make sure that all the people in Hogwarts see the explosion, so he will get in to that game as a seeker and will catch the snitch positioned in a way and at a time that the explosion will be behind him

Man, I LOVE this
mgharmon chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Very nicely done: the nano-tube filaments, Flitwick's curse, Harry's use of Obliviate, the Not-Dead status of transfigured things, all seeded throughout the story for the reader to find!

And Harry's obvious-in-retrospect decision to make sure that Quirrell became the hero who saved the Wizarding World...

Excellent.
Valentin chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Extremely disappointing, sorry. For me the last two chapters were representing the most inelegant solutions proposed here. I do hope that it is a test and tomorrow you will post the real solution.
viktordick chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Love the story, almost can't believe that this long journey is about to come to an end.
One question though: On hpmor dot com, you have a PDF version that is typeset with LaTeX. Could you publish the sources you used for that? I would really like to print the complete work and give it to a bookbinder (as a present for someone), but I would need to make some adjustments (like different even/odd pages) and it is really quite a piece of work to start from html. I started just in case, but I guess since someone else seems to have done most of the work already, this should be quite a good place for optimization.
Ben chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Woah. Just woah. Getting the job done.
Sinuhe chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
We did it... Ugh...we did it. I feel as tired as Harry now. Such exhausting 60 hours...
Blazen chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
You hurt my suspension of disbelief, but it will heal in time. So, good chapters
Mikko Rauhala chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
That bit with the Obliviation gets one right in the feels, and fiction doesn't do that easily for me. (Though this one has managed a few times, with more effect even.)

Now let's see how Draco fares with Harry having something to do with decapitating his loving father, or if he's just kept safer in the dark.
timunderwood9 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
So, when you put together an FAQ afterwards, could you perhaps include an explanation of just why magic makes people tired and they can only use so much (which I suppose is the same as 'what actually is magic').
EriEka127 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Great chapter! Are we getting the shorter, sadder ending, or the longer ending?
omegonthesane chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Y'know now I wonder why no one even contemplated just Obliviating Tom Riddle at any time in the original canon. Why I didn't even think of it at any time between Chamber of Secrets (where Gilderoy Lockhart's mega-Obliviates began to be a thing that should have worked on the Dark Lord himself) and today. Why, even reading that chapter, I thought the solution would be to Transfigure Voldemort into something that somehow couldn't be escaped.
KirinKarou chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Kira

I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT
I KNEW IT WOULD HAVE TO DO WITH ANTIMATTER
I KNEW IT WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH DEMENTORS
I KNEW CARBON NANOTUBES OF SOME SORT WOULD BE USED
I KNEW HE WOULD TRANSFIGURE PART OF HIS WAND
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Well, after re-reading the transfiguration chapters and him testing transfiguration against tensile strength, with a carbon nanotube no less, I expected no less from Harry Potter-Riddle-Evans-Verres.
Whelp, time to re-read the whole thing again for laughs.
Hubris Plus chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Well, that was easier than expected.

I just hope that Harry has learned the importance of single use time travel passwords. That's just common sense when you're dealing with yourself.
IGIAs3QGi7 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
HARRY'S CHOICE (a deconstruction)

In the emerging resolution of HPMOR, an especially significant (and beautiful) passage is "Harry looked back up at the stars. [] What would they want him to do now at this juncture, the children's children's children?

Three previous narratives that have tackled this question, along lines notably similar to HPMOR (extending even to imagery of stars and fire):

• Nehemia Polen's historically accurate-and darkly dystopian-"The Holy Fire" (1994; 10 GoodReads ratings/3 reviews)

• William Styron's entirely imagined-and darkly despairing-"Sophie's Choice" (1979; 56,224 GoodReads ratings/1,539 reviews)

• Lois Lowry's historically accurate-and hopefully illuminating-"Number the Stars" (1979; 280,795 GoodReads ratings/7,622 reviews)

**PREDICTION** Readers familiar with these three narratives will have little difficulty in anticipating the cognitive (non-magical) themes of the emerging HPMOR narrative resolution.

Conversely, HPMOR provides good inspiration/prepration-for young readers/writers especially-to appreciate the cognition-centric themes of "Holy Fire", "Sophie's Choice", and "Number the Stars". It is significant, perhaps, that the most optimistic of these three ("Number the Stars") is by *far* the most-read and highest-rated (on GoodReads).

As for the idiosyncratic intricacies of Hogwarts-style magic, isn't this the *least* significant aspect of the HPMOR narrative arc?

**CONCLUSION** the title "Harry's Choice" would have been entirely appropriate for HPMOR, were it not that Harry/Voldy are turning away from the dark despair of "Sophie's Choice" and the isolationism of "The Holy Fire", to embrace the empathic cognition of "Number the Stars". And in the end, this just makes "Harry's Choice" even *more* admirable.

Good on yah, Harry/Voldy/Eliezer!

- - - - -

Kalonymus Kalman Shapira, the Rebbe of
the Warsaw Ghetto}, Year {1977}}
- - - - -
hp4all chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
If I am a law enforcement agency with time travel technology and stumbled upon the crime scene of the century, what would I do? Travel back six hours, pick a good observation spot and see what the hell happened there. So, all Harry's manipulation of the cemetery was for naught. He should not have blown up that baloon.
Arafell chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Is he going to save Dumbledore? Maybe replace him with a false image, if Harry believed it was actually him?

Or is he just going to sit down at the Quidditch game in fresh robes? 'Cause, that would be pretty funny. . .

Awesome chapter! Please credit the one who solved it, I really want to know! :D
Krazyfanfiction1 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
amazing chapter as always
keep up the good work
Edgar3t chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
fucking epicness, enough said
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
oh my dear nonexistent deity, that was a hell of a solution.
L.E chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
OMG, well done. It was slightly unsurprising, but still good.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Well, that escalated quickly. I didn't expect that HArry will actually kill everyone easily.
Strange that Voldemort didn't have any shields up. I thought Harry will have to use transfigurated stun grenade or something like that.
Anyway, great story.
And why the hell can't air be transfigurated in accordance with timeless theory? I think Harry needs to do more experiments!
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Eternal sleep, or Dementor's Kiss, or a Vow made without Voldemort being conscious?
Also, Harry killed all Death Eaters, but not Voldemort. Does it mean that Voldemort owes life-debt to Harry?
Obliviate, plus Tranfiguration... Interesting.
You are brilliant! I hadn't remembered that partial Transfiguration allows to use a piece of a wand - I automatically thought the wand to be "too magical", to be Transfigured into something else.
Voldemort's wand in Harry's pouch... Voldemort on Harry's finger... :-)
I am sure that people will wonder where Voldemort's body went. But Harry didn't have enough magic to create a copy of Voldemort's body?
So, is Dumbledore truly locked inside the mirror? It still does not solve the problem of Dumbledore (maybe, as Moody's proxy) killing Narcissa? Harry still needs to solve the riddle, for Draco...
Hogwarts will be troubled. Harry kidnapped by Voldemort, Death Eaters dead (including Lucius?), Dumbledore not here...
Oh, and is Harry flying naked in his Invisibility cloak? Ah, no, Harry did don his robes...
I wonder what will Muggles think of the explosion...
Thank you. Good day, good night, and good luck.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Wow, the story ending was so neat! Thank you for two such great chapters! Your are really the best! Can't wait til the next one appears) By the by, I really hope Harry will take Dumbldore out of that realm of existence where the poor guy has thrown himself...
mu chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
well played.
codeburner chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Good escape. The oxyacetylene balloon idea will not work tho. We acetylene is pressurized it explodes and the presence of oxygen makes it even more sensitive. Acetylene is store in cylinders filled with an solid absorbent media and an organic solvent is added to that. The acetylene is dissolved in that solvent and is not pressurized. Pressurizing it to a few psi will cause it to detonate. That triple bond is very unstable. I'm a retired chemist BTW.
Vanidar chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Altogether a perfectly reasonable solution, quite in line with my expectations. Harry also added a nice touch - Hermione is now the "Girl who lived."

That said, of course, I'm not sure waking up alone surrounded by death eaters and at the focus of an obvious dark ritual is the preferred way for a twelve year old girl to come back to life. That and the subsequent media attention - oh, Harry, I'm not sure you really have the hang of this yet. (Then again, she was already tried and convicted of attempted murder, and having a role in slaying 37 death eaters and Voldemort does compensate more than a little.)

Also, neither Harry nor Voldemort applied the stone to Hermione's transfigured clothing. I expect the transfiguration to last about six hours - so the disappearing clothing bit suddenly becomes a problem at about ten pm to midnight. If I were Madame Bones, that would still be during the middle of my debriefing. I'm not sure why Harry didn't do the small kindness of eliminating any chance of a problem there.

I'm also expecting chapter 116 to begin with Voldemort, as Quirrell, watching from the shadows, witnessing his own death, and immediately time turning to proceed with the plan anyways.
Emma Emerson chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Bravo
Arhimith chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Dear Author

Please, please, PLEASE tell us WHY did Voldie leave Harry his wand? What for? It's obvious that Voldie was very afraid of what Harry could do and so he took from him literally everything but the wand. Why?
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
im...failing to see if ovbliviated!tom riddle deserves a second chance. it would be more efficient to just make him go insane or completly wipe his whole mind completly clean. is there a risk of him getting his memory back? because if there is then is not worth it, he is too dangerous an individual to give leniancy.

also i hope harry at least comunicates his plan of helping tom become a better person to someone else, him shouldering the entire danger of tom relapsing into voldemort would be dumb
Steve Armstrong chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Harry defeated the boss and gained a magical ring!
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Beneath the moonlight glints a tiny fragment of silver, a fraction of a line...

(black robes, falling)

...blood spills out in litres, and someone screams a word.

The beginning of the first chapter. It had the clues all along.
Jared chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Nice. One of the problems with the idea of an 'eternal soul' is that of what passes through the body/brain to it. If everything that happens to the brain/body happens to the soul, then the afterlife is chock full of senile, demented, and driven-to-insanity-by-the-hardships-of-a-cruel-and-unjust-universe souls. Conversely, if nothing passes through, then the afterlife needs a lot of nannies changing diapers. If only "good" things pass through, then there's a lot of souls who will take offense at being forcibly turned into "shiny happy people" that bear little to no resemblance to the person who just died.

Though I admit, I never thought to _weaponize_ this argument, as Harry just did.
khelek chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Congrats on Passing the test everyone!
ireadeverything chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I think we passed the final exam!
Robert Kendzie chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I still say that allowing himself to be put in the deathtrap was completely unnecessary and he'd have been better off retreating from the field to regroup and plan at least 50 chapters ago.

Even so, it was certainly very dramatically and narratively satisfying.
Sorrowful Stone chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Thank you for not making this an ending without hope.
loewenst chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Pledge donated.

And on the actual reviewing side, I found the fact that the abilities Harry used had been previously established in plausible, narrative-consistent ways, AND that it was even established that Harry had, at other times, relied upon such abilities in crises (Patronus and Partial Transfiguration in Azkaban) made this resolution feel the exact opposite of cheap. *This* is how you play the long game.
Rahun chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
BTW will we also get the shorter and sadder ending at some point? :)
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
If Hermione is found alive, immortal, and uninjurable wtih Voldemort's hands around her neck, won't people think that Voldemort is possessing Hermione?

Then again, questions will arise anyway if the dead girl is randomly seen alive again with no explanation...
Rahun chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
What about the stone? Did he not take it?.. I do find it bothering that it wasn't mentioned, it is not an obvious assumption that he took it with himself.
Unmaker chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Also, the balloon doesn't have significant lift with oxygen/acetylene in it because the combined densities are almost identical to air itself ( gas-density-d_ ). So Harry attaches the dynamite, lights it, and lets the assembly go... where it has full 60 seconds to plunge to the ground, with air resistance on the balloon being the only thing slowing it down. Good think Hermione can survive a ground-level dynamite plus oxygen/acetylene explosion, but it will mess the heck out of Harry's prepared scene.
Voeful chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Lovely. I am almost dissapointed by how well we predicted it. I expected you to pull out something a bit more suprising, yet inevitable. Not that it wasn't sweet and well written. And I feel like something very interesting will come to pass yet.
Eli Bar-Yahalom chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
It will be a Three Hearts and Three Lions thing, won't it? The Obliviated Riddle will be permanently Transfigured into a baby and transferred into the past (our protagonist will find a way to extend a Time-Turner's range).
The Potter baby never actually survived. The Boy-Who-Lived had been Tom Riddle all along.
L chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Harry went back in time... but that all went so perfectly already... maybe he intents to devise a solution that involves the death eaters surviving? But he can't change how it already played out, else we would have seen that... besides, Hermione was revived from the dead, all he needs is the Sorcerer's Stone, his patronus, and possibly Voldemort's resurrection ritual, and he can revive whomever he wants...

Does he want to bring back people to witness the event? Then why the set-up... bring them to the scene just after it ends? But won't they try to use time turners to find out what happened? Maybe that's why he used his time turner - to make paradox if anyone else uses a time turner to see what happened... or maybe he just wants to put as much distance between himself and the scene as possible so that he isn't suspected - but he already lived through this time period once, he doesn't need an alibi... maybe he wants to get people away from the Quidditch match so that they don't die when Voldemort fails to disable his dead-man's switch...
Unidentified chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Aww. He didn't decide to unkill the Death Eaters? Lucius deserved it, at the very least, as did quite possibly Mr. Grim. Maybe he'll go back once he's recovered his magic. And he'll hopefully make sure to nab the Stone of Permanency, too. Please?
Delta chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Harry, you had BETTER go back and try casting the True Patronus on Quirinus at some point in the next day or so, before he decomposes too much. You already KNOW that you can raise people with whom there is nothing physically wrong by Patronusing them, and someone who just got AK'd fits that specification like a glove.

While you're at it, you might want to try the same on any Death Eaters whose bodies can be sewn back together. If nothing else, Draco will be sad if his father stays dead.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I just went back and re-read the first chapter...the answer was there all along! What a story.
meja9201 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Thanks again for writing this less wrong.
Very best regards.
Unmaker chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
To my best knowledge and internet search, oxyacetelene refers to a mixture of oxygen and acetylene, not a single gas. You would never keep such in "a" bottle, the results would be a bomb if anything set it off.
Stone.Wolf.80 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Thank you.

"Voldemort's gun, and his wand, went into Harry's pouc." missing "h".
Jillian A.K chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
A satisfying solution. Thank you.
rpresser chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Harry can PT one cubic millimeter in, let's say, one hundredth of a second.
The web is 0.1 mm wide and 10 cm long.
Let's say for argument that the death eaters are in a circle around Harry 5m away. he needs at least a circle of that width ... probably a double circle. But let's estimate one circle. 2pi * 5m * 0.1mm 3141.5 cubic mm. Harry's wand is 11 inches long or 279 mm. If it is any narrower than 11 square millimeters in cross section, he will end up with no wand at all.

Now by changing the numbers, moving the Death Eaters closer, making the web thinner, etc, you can reduce the required cubic mm ... but it still seems like he's going to chew up a good chunk of wand in this maneuver. Will a shortened wand still work?
Feethei chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Yes! Good for you, Harry! I was actually right with one of my choices, it just didn't have all the detail. I was kind of thinking Harry would just stuff Voldemort to his pouch, but who knows what that would do to his psychology, if he wakes up while stuck there.

Waiting for the aftermath now... A lot more exited than the poor, exhausted Harry, who really would deserve a break by now.
newtrick chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Great chapter! Just a couple of minor things:

Death Eater's necks

should be:

Death Eaters' necks

Voldemort's gun, and his wand, went into Harry's pouc.

should be:

Voldemort's gun, and his wand, went into Harry's pouch.
The Defense Professor chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Bravo. Just bravo. Glad I was here to see this live. And glad "we" (well at least I thought to partially transfigure carbon nanotubes, just for defense instead of offense) figured out the right answer like 200 times.
Ged chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Glad I figured out the partial transfiguration along strands thing, but I was expecting the use of acid myself. Also disappointed that my personal pet theory that the dark ritual with the sword, the noose and summoning death wasn't the meaning of the fragment of silver, fraction of a line and death. Although you could say it was, if you count the nonowire as being both sword and noose haha.

Still, I'm enjoying this. Next chapter can't come too soon.
changeling chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Did he take Stone with him?
graynavarre chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Yipes and double yipes. I am on the edge of my seat here.
Reichenfaust chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I wonder just how much Harry erased from his mind of Voldemort. There was that part that said he was "keeping that for later, because he might need it".

The staff will definitely find the scene, and the wizarding world will think it's some failed ritual to bring about Voldemort's return. Still, this is really exciting.

I wonder if he is going to permanently transfigure Voldemort into a snake, and give him the mindset of one.

It's looking like, now that I think about it and if the stories told were true, that Harry's next major enemy will be Perenelle Flamel. And changing the world of Magic.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
typo: "Voldemort's gun, and his wand, went into Harry's pouc."
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Small grammatical errors aside ("Harry let go of the sense," "Harry's pouc"), I'm enjoying the turn of events. The children's children's children, the role of someone despising Voldemort, the surprise that comes with eternal pessimism - Harry truly reached his peak as a rationalist, and you used all the tale's motifs beautifully.
Arekanderu chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
A wonderful finish. I also never understood why it was made out to be such a big deal that Voldermort was immortal. This was not true immortality. He could still be defeated. It would only take a couple of tries. And they wouldn't even need to kill him. If a wizard as powerful as Grindelwald could be kept in prison for decades so could Voldermort if you stomp him and his followers enough
GregTD chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
I sure hope he did something with the Philosopher's Stone, since I don't see any mention of Harry doing anything with it now (like, you know, putting it in his pouch).

I really wish you hadn't posted that "test". Your attempted abdication of responsibility as author made this victory far less enjoyable than it otherwise would have been.
Peach Wookiee chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Excellent way of solving it!
jon58840 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
It worked out, but the ending is still very sad and grim. Harry is gonna have to do a lot of explaining concerning what happened with Quirrel, Dumbledore, and the numerous Death Eaters who won't be returning. Still, I think this is a fitting end for this story. Bad ends are rarely fun, but a happy end would definitely not fit the tone of this fic. This seems about appropriate.
nlspeednl chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
That read like you took a few reviews and slapped them together / went over why the solutions presented there aren't feasible. :P

But, was this the 'good' ending? I'm interested in knowing the other possible ending - the 'bad' one - as well, could you post that sometime?
Clefspear chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Wow... Just wow...
antonm1107 chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Just a quick note, while I take time to process these chapters:
There was one point where you said 'pouc' in stead of 'pouch'.
Just pointing out a typo.
Guest chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Guess we passed the exam!
Enei Emmu chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
And NOW, holy shit doesn't even COVER it.

But I am curious.

Are you planning to tell which of us passed and failed?
Xtrepe Nobody chapter 115 . 3/3/2015
Damn. That was a fantastic escape. I can not wait to see the next result.