Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Jatok chapter 12 . 11/13/2016
Ahh yes, this was the story. I wonder if it was ender's game where you drew inspiration from
sweetchoco-chan chapter 12 . 11/10/2016
Baba yaga is not always a mean old bag who eat children in russian folklore. She did help a young girl once ( even if it was for revenge). I really LOVE your fanfic so far. It is interesting and really funny ( so much my parents think I am mad because I keep laughing my ass of)
Rambling Drabble chapter 12 . 9/21/2016
.5) Those Ravenclaws are modern university students incarnate: smart, but (at least until they've been inspired by a great mind) incapable of applying critical thought to their everyday lives.
1. Okay, so I just skimmed over some internet info on Harold Shea... nice reference. Very fitting within HPMoR.
2. Professor Quirrel's speech always gets me. Sometimes I wish I could have a teacher like that. Actually, scratch that; ALWAYS I wish I could have a teacher like that. If the only places where people like him exist are Oxford and Harvard... I've got some serious planning to do.
3. I still love how Dumbledore is bad ass and hilarious at the same time.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 12 . 9/15/2016
Voldemort would probably be a really good teacher if he was actually trying.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 12 . 9/5/2016
Well that was odd of Dumbles and Quirrellmort. Way to put the comfort and safety of students at top priority. Note Sarcasm. Sorry but i was disliking that Dumbles and just wish I could say that to him. And why hasn't Harry considered the more obvious and much more likely method behind that drink yet? That all this shit is new to him and therefore more likely to surprise or catch him off guard. That could be why it was being sold at the platform. To reel in customers at a young age who won't know better and believe in their products more. Not once so far has he realized that he's been drinking this beverage looking for a different result to the same kind of scenario. (Which some would say is a sign of insanity) A scenario where he or another person drinks this green beverage and receive a shock from a person or environment they do not know. The most impressive thing about that drink could just be it's flavor and self cleaning ability. Then there's the other possibility that it manages to make the drinker more susceptible to being surprised or startled. I understand your rendition of Harry is just a child though a very smart one however for one so smart who was already getting surprises and still trying and failing to come to grips with the real possibilities of magic and how the people operate in it I find it strange that he now blames these surprises on a drink. Is this a coping method he's unknowingly adopted? He's already been surprised and startled a few times in the great hall without the "influence" of the drink. Is he going to realize and consider any of this soon? I also find it a little strange how...easily cowed he seems to be. Even over voldemort's name. Getting some kind of random chill and sense of wrongness? I'm surprised he didn't scoff that off and list all the logical reasons he had why fearing a name is foolish and then investigating if others felt that chill when knowing nothing about the story or something and trying to figure out why. I also find it rather strange how quickly and often he likes to bring up things from the war he was too young to remember such as death eaters to use in an analogy in casual conversations and debates as if it's normal to do so and he does it all the time when he's actually only just learnt of them AND was informed of just how insensitive it could come across as for people who remember or where effected by it.
These might be things other readers have expressed in some way or another to you before but I just wanted to share my opinion and thoughts and see if you'd answer any of them. I do like some things about your story but haven't decided if I actually like it yet.
Denz-El chapter 12 . 9/4/2016
It would seem that Harry has met his match in Dumbledore. :)
Also... What the heck IS up woth Voldie & Quirell this time 'round?
Also I'm glad to see Harry putting an effort into becoming a Better version of himself! :D

GOD Bless, keep up the Good Work, and Keep Moving Forward! :D Amen! :D
sunset oasis chapter 12 . 9/2/2016
Dumbledore's reformulating Quidditch comment about Harry caught me off guard. But I love it.

Quirrel's ... damn, this man's interesting. So very interesting ... I wonder what happens next.
Abdullahsaurus chapter 12 . 7/31/2016
With foresight, I can see him easily as Vol-de-mort.
AstoriaGrace chapter 12 . 7/28/2016
Whisper whisper... No seriously what the hell. Whisper whisper.
I'm cracking up!
Squarekiddo chapter 12 . 7/6/2016
This is all very fun and so on, but you dont seem to give a downtime to Harry, being constant like he is, is getting really old quite fast for me, so im going to quit reading, Im going to start again in a week or so, hope that maybe some down time for me personally makes it less redundant.
lilyriddle12 chapter 12 . 7/4/2016
so in this version of Hogwarts is the school song every song as he said favorite words? or are there say two versions?
myafroatemydog chapter 12 . 6/23/2016
Good chap
Happy chapter 12 . 5/23/2016
So much fun!
TheLittleRoguex chapter 12 . 5/14/2016
Great stuff
gi-freakazoid chapter 12 . 5/2/2016
This was an anti climax to the previous chapter's drama.
PrinceMittens chapter 12 . 4/16/2016
Dumbledore is oh so charming here. World domination via Comed Tea. I can already imagine it. :)
Guest chapter 12 . 4/11/2016
Ohh so the last chapter was a series of different scenarios. I was a little confused. What's up with Quirrell? ;))
Ramrikai chapter 12 . 2/14/2016
A much simpler explanation for the comed-tea, rather than it being reality bending and needing only a bit of humor-altering magic to attain godhood, would be that the drink itself is humor altering. It makes you perceive the next thing you experience that could be even remotely shocking or humorous to be the most shocking or humorous thing you have ever experienced. And if it can't do that, then a bout of induced clumsiness makes you spill it. The best way to test this would be to isolate yourself completely, suppress all higher mental functions other than "drink this", and attempt to drink it. You will either miss your mouth in some way (drop the can, tilt the can too far too fast, etc.), or you will gag as you're drinking it. The humor altering bit basically tests itself as every instance thus far has been a comedic spit take or conscious, intentional spills... which may also have been the drink compelling them to test it now that I am thinking about it.
Guest chapter 12 . 1/29/2016
Harold Shea taught DADA at Hogwarts? *like*
william01pd2018 chapter 12 . 1/26/2016
I don't Even Know If i will be able to finish it. No offense but it looks like it was written by Luna Love good and trying to focus on any of the facts just makes my brain hurt and Realize that I'm not suppose to because MAGIC.
Nix-LokiFan chapter 12 . 1/21/2016
Im cryin. Wtah.

*wisper* i dont undurstand

You broke me
Montara chapter 12 . 1/21/2016
Interesting plans Harry's making...
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 12 . 12/6/2015
Harry's resolution to be good is entertaining, since he's not very good at it. Most children would have immediately thought to report that whisper to an adult, not come to that conclusion only as a last resort. At least he's learning the incredibly useful value of self-control, which he seems to lack
Xidaer chapter 12 . 12/4/2015
I don't remember Quirrell being so competent in the books. I like it! A Thank you for writing!
NexusRider161 chapter 12 . 12/3/2015
Based on the fact that Quirrel started twitching as soon as he finished his little speech, I assume it was Voldemort who was speaking, fulfilling his pre-Dark Lord dream of being DADA Professor?
The Anguished One chapter 12 . 11/27/2015
Oh, Harry heard something he wasn't meant to. Interesting. Will he try and act 'lighter' by ignoring or revealing the information to a teacher, or will be be 'darker' and seek the truth? Is it even evil to want to know the meaning? Also, Professor Quirrell's sudden personality change... that'll make things more interesting for Harry and his friends.
Crack-jouchan chapter 12 . 11/8/2015
W-wha...? If I'm getting this right somehow... somehow Voldie takes control of Quirrel whenever he speaks? Umm... I'm pretty sure that's different from canon. Sure does make things interesting though...
bigdolton chapter 12 . 10/22/2015
s
ShadowLDrago chapter 12 . 10/14/2015
... Well, this happened.
boom chapter 12 . 10/10/2015
ahhh... so Harry's motivation is his desire for glory, he does not want to make a difference to make the world a better place, he wants to make a difference for fame and recognition, that's why he insisted on ravenclaw instead of accepting hufflepuff
Good chapter 12 . 9/30/2015
Always good.
P. P. P chapter 12 . 9/12/2015
Well, this was interesting.
Zyxis chapter 12 . 8/11/2015
I. LOVE. EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. XD I can't wait to read more.
Kelly chapter 12 . 8/4/2015
Chapter 12 confusion:
Hi Eliezer,
Longtime fan, but I'm on a reread and there is some sort of typo going on in chapter 12. At the end of the Sorting, you state "Great, so now he'd only applauded Zabini..." But earlier in the chapter, Harry had applauded Lisa Turpin ("Harry joined in the applause greeting the young girl") and Ron Weasley ("Harry, after a moment, smiled and started applauding"). It's not a big deal or anything, just thought you might be interested.
olqueen108 chapter 12 . 7/23/2015
Best. Feast. Ever
8734287934379342879erw87952587 chapter 12 . 7/12/2015
MY HEART IS BURSTING WITH THE RIDICULOUSNESS OF THIS JUST UGH UGH UGH
i have been reduced to a yapping mess i just love this epic so much

- Manny (You can find me on tumblr at asexualtomriddle.)
Angelfirenze chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
This is getting a bit hard to follow - Harry's thoughts-wise. And I began rambling, so I'm going to take a break here and get some much-needed sleep. I'll be back tomorrow, though!
PA chapter 12 . 5/16/2015
I'm not great with reviewing after every chapter ... but damnit, I'm trying. But "off we go!" indeed, is about how this fanfic is going, lol.
Village-Mystic chapter 12 . 3/21/2015
Was Harry the only one who heard the extra exposition, or was that part of your revision?
hisnhers chapter 12 . 3/15/2015
Can an author be sued for inflicting 'continuous giggling episodes upon its readers'? Just curious...

-his
4everfictional chapter 12 . 3/12/2015
Since he'll be the one teaching this year, does that mean that the rumored "curse" he put on the position will be over?
IV Legacy of Poseidon chapter 12 . 12/7/2014
good.
camilaus chapter 12 . 11/30/2014
Quirrell is Voldermot
kimchi759 chapter 12 . 11/3/2014
Okay? This chapter felt a bit like it was taken right out of a crack fic.
Sue Clover chapter 12 . 9/3/2014
So that happened. Didn't it? Did I just dream those speeches? That was Voldy talking through Quirrell, right? It sounded like him. And why the heck did Dumbledore spew all those other things? What is going on? And all of this happened after he decided to not drink the Comed Tea. What the heck?
Midan no Hatake chapter 12 . 9/3/2014
Cthulhu sounds like a fitting theme for Harry in this fic.
Lacemaker chapter 12 . 8/31/2014
Oh God why am I still awake I need to stop but I can't stop.
alix33 chapter 12 . 8/27/2014
Ouch! at anyone imagining banging their own head against any hard surface, never mind just a table.
That blue sausage with glowing bits does not sound at all kosher to me…
Anastasoula chapter 12 . 8/19/2014
My first thought is that VoldemortTomRiddle is possessing Quirrell. To be the very best Defence teacher ever. His very first dream. What an inspiration.
My second thought is how does Harry know that the Comed Tea isn't instead altering his perceptions, to make surprising things turn into shocking ones? Though I suppose the coincidental part of it is more fun. The "well that was a short trip through godhood" thing was pretty funny, anyway.
2needles chapter 12 . 8/13/2014
There is a flaw to Harry's experiment with his Comed-Tea. I wonder if he will catch it? Perhaps, instead of altering the universe for entertainment value, the drink is slightly precognitive and makes people want to drink it before something the would have the desired result of a spit-take. After all, he is doing the same thing he lectured Hermione about on the train. Plus, none of his experiments have a control to help prove that the results wouldn't have happened anyway. His current hypothesis of the Comed-Tea is based on the explanation of another eleven year old. I don't know about you, but when I was little I tried to explain things I didn't know anything about by giving what I viewed as the most rational answer, which wasn't always correct. (Honestly, I still do this, but now I tell people that I'm just guessing.)
Off to read more!
thepkrmgc chapter 12 . 7/30/2014
all shall fear the omnipotent god of combed tea!

good on harry for being genre savvy and starting the "anti dark lord harry" project
Foxy-Floof chapter 12 . 7/3/2014
The fuck?

I've now officially lost my shit. And this story is entirely the root cause. *commences to wipe tea from the computer monitor*
Jesper chapter 12 . 7/2/2014
I really enjoy this story and this chapter was great. But I would be even more happy with the story if you didnt change everything. Harry is doing that quite well on his own :)
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 12 . 6/15/2014
... what just happened with those welcome speeches?
Uraharaisgod chapter 12 . 6/7/2014
...did Voldermort seriously just control Quirrel and took over his introduction without Dumbledore even noticing? Also, has the Comed Tea seriously just turned Dumbledore insane to simply fit it's attempts at reality twisting to allow the moment of spit-take?

...I really don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this story...
Nelly chapter 12 . 4/30/2014
"every day, in every way, I'm getting Lighter and Lighter..."

That's not a reference to Which Witch, by Eva Ibbotson, is it?
Silverrain chapter 12 . 4/9/2014
Interesting.
konatachan603 chapter 12 . 4/6/2014
I honestly don't care if Harry goes Dark or Light or neither! I honestly can't tell which direction he's going to go in too! But rereading the summary... And reading the little bit about befriending Professor Quirrel... I'm actually hoping he'll go dark. Speaking of Professor Quirrel... I was NOT expecting that speech. Pretty nice speech too lol
Wow. Four reviews in a row? This just keeps getting better!
David Bowie chapter 12 . 3/9/2014
I think Harry Potter must have read a lot of Douglas Adams as an infant.
Jacob Erickson chapter 12 . 3/2/2014

He has a very good point regarding the snitch and some idiot king's nephew or whatever.

The best way to keep the snitch and incorporate Harry's ideas would be to turn the game into two 30 minute halves. I say 30 for the following reason.

At the 25 minute mark of each half is when the snitch would be released. Its capture would signify the end of the first half and the end of the game. The snitch would also be worth only 50 points. This would give each team a chance at getting the snitch. The snitch could also only be captured by a seeker. This makes the purpose of capturing the snitch at the right time very important.

A losing team could attempt to block the capture of the snitch by the other team until they had enough points to pull a win. Additionally the Seeker should be able to play as a chaser at any time to pull random power plays and score or pass the quaffle. Maybe also throw in that when a seeker scores, it is counted as 15-20 points instead of the usual 10.

That would be a great game.
Harlequin de Rustre chapter 12 . 2/23/2014
Of course everyone will talk about how Quirrel doesn't stutter in this chapter

Instead, I'd like to say I enjoy the lighter tone of this chapter, although I feel like it's a sign of things to decline...
IXAthenaeum chapter 12 . 2/7/2014
Lol, curious as to what the system to make Ravenclaws eat is.. And that 180 from Professor Quirrell was completely unexpected- though since it's you, I guess I should have expected something xD

And Dumbledore's insane-
Vampires2rocks chapter 12 . 2/6/2014
...I remember thinking about a set of reviews that goes over the entire chapter quite beautifully...

Forgot it all with that last line.

Favourite tune, I can handle...but favourite WORDS?! To a group of - mostly - hormonal kids that knows all types of variations that can be done to all actual - and some not - words that are not meant to be spoken near 11 year olds, I'm pretty sure that is NOT a wonderful thing to say!

...and a rather nasty song in 3 languages is already forming in my head.

Lovely.

That's not a good line (talking about the song in my head)

Vamp
DarkPirateKing69 chapter 12 . 1/28/2014
from this point onwards, i'm not even trying to take this fic seriously and just treat this just like any other crack fic i've read.. take everything at the face value and question nothing. i can spare what little i have left of my sanity that way-
Grizzmon chapter 12 . 1/13/2014
Harry, Ron is a spy! Only he doesn't know it, it makes perfect sense!
Makokam chapter 12 . 1/7/2014
This is one hell of a ripple effect.
Guest chapter 12 . 1/3/2014
Everyone seems insane in this story.

Evil masteminds.
Nameless5387 chapter 12 . 11/8/2013
Ohh, the last line makes me wonder what the school song will be! I have complete faith in you, that it will be manic and ridiculous and paroding-ish in the next chapter XD

I love how when Dumbledore stood up and then sat down, the students instantly quietened down, and Harry took that as a mental note to be careful of him. Which actually makes sense in a way, because Dumbledore has the ability to instantly command students to what he wants them to without stirring any hate or rebellion against him, and he has made up the reputation that allows him to be both respected, and yet people let him get away with everything. Maybe Dumbledore is controlling the very factors that cause the students to act that way towards Dumbledore without them knowing...

As for the cheerfully insane characterization of Dumbledore in this story, I've seen that done before many times, and I can tell it's the start of something great. I'm now more interested then ever to see any Harry/Dumbledore interaction, and I love the tone of this story. It's informational, and yet not boring, it includes adequate description and makes the reader (me) really interested in the events. I'm sure you've probably heard this and greater praise a lot from this story, but: Good Job! :)
Daniel chapter 12 . 10/31/2013
The Permitted Forest! Oh, how I would love to visit the Permitted Forest! )
Badgedbadger chapter 12 . 10/23/2013
I have to take a stab at this... wouldn't it be simpler for the comed-tea to compel the drinker to drink before something outrageous happens?
willam and jack and jake chapter 12 . 10/22/2013
wow quirrell is not what a thought he would be
Guest chapter 12 . 10/14/2013
Comed-Tea makes you thirsty when something funny is about to happen.
Iryerris chapter 12 . 10/6/2013
And suddenly Dumbledore shot a plothole before it began. Ah well.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/6/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
Guest chapter 12 . 9/2/2013
I'm really enjoying this. Love the references to the original while forging new ground. And the comed tea explanation for Dumbledore? Priceless!
S28 chapter 12 . 8/24/2013
Harry inhaled his own saliva and went into a coughing fit just as all eyes turned towards him. How the hell! He hadn't met Dumbledore's eyes at any point... he didn't think.

- Nice joke - chuckles.
cross-over-lover232 chapter 12 . 8/15/2013
my...Tom may be acting oddly...if that IS tom
Shadow Hunt chapter 12 . 8/13/2013
I cannot say that I hate this story, but your large amount of changes to the whole cast of characters is, well, very frightening. Dumbledore's characterization in particular is bothersome, as it seems you are simply altering things to tickle your fancy. I'm unsure about Professor Quirrell yet, since I'll have to continue reading to see what spin you decided to take with him. I hope in the coming chapters you learned to tone down your need to amaze everyone every paragraph with your humor, wit, and creativity. Because if you constantly keep throwing people in a loop, eventually they will want to throw up.
RelevantlyPosits chapter 12 . 7/10/2013
Makes sense if Dumbles was the one who got Harry and Hermione to meet up on the train - that's how he knew about Harry wanting to reformulate Quidditch: He's been secretly watching Harry.
Anon chapter 12 . 7/2/2013
Still love this
person chapter 12 . 6/29/2013
Mindblown
TheWeasleyTwinsAreMyBitches chapter 12 . 6/8/2013
klingon
psychicshipping chapter 12 . 4/24/2013
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but at the beginning of the chapter when you mentioned starving cats...Ranma 1/2 reference?
12neo chapter 12 . 4/24/2013
Ooh new speech!
RussianDestruction chapter 12 . 4/19/2013
I love how he keeps putting off "going to the good side" for another day. And the bit with the tea and Dumby? "Well that was a short little journey to godhood. Even I expected this to take longer than my first day of school." BAHAHAHAHA! I also love (i think this was in a diff chappie, but oh well) how Harry instantly knows his scar is hurting because of Quirrell. Ahhhh, if ONLY canon Harry had been this smart...
Quirrell is so intriguing. I'm guessing the confident part of him speaking was the Dark Lord...lol, nice.
sww11685 chapter 12 . 4/16/2013
Loved the chapter, Harry's internal diatribe continues to be interesting to say the least
Bookworm4always chapter 12 . 4/4/2013
I must say so far I have nearly died from laughter 3 times which is quite amazing for me. I love your story but is it a must to include so much science? It is very interesting but it is not my favourite subject. Anyways cheers, and good luck being a science professor or whatever it is you wish to be that requires a phd and master in math and science
Hannah chapter 12 . 4/3/2013
I wonder if the snake-y voice Harry heard was the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets. Well, Harry was a Parseltongue his entire life before he defeated Voldemort for good, and he never heard anything like that in his first year in the book, so I don't know. There are a lot of differences between the book and MOR.
sky36488 chapter 12 . 3/12/2013
Wow! Baba Yaga is Professor of DADA. Thanks to make mention of this Slavic folklore сharacter.
yoloswagmaster chapter 12 . 2/28/2013
I love Dumbles :3
hervissa chapter 12 . 2/27/2013
I will be honest.
I still don't really get Comed-Tea. But that doesn't matter xDDD
What does, is the fact that Harry has found...well, an opponent :D Dumbes is really not to be messed with... ;)
And it seems like Voldy prepared his speech a looooong time ago...pity that it won't sound as majestatic from Quirell as it would from the Dark Lord... :D
Oh, and I once again almost fell from my chair laughing when Dumbes informed the students about Harry wanting to re-do Quidditch.

I can't imagine anyone who would stop reading this story. It's impossible :D

hervissa :)
Endless Strategy Games chapter 12 . 2/24/2013
Really, this is one of the few big gripes I have with this series. Dumbledore is comically out of character! I can understand Harry and Quirrell being out-of-character:it is a necessity for the story you have crafted, and they're both fascinating in their own right. But Dumbledore just seems out of character for no reason. It's jarring, pointless, and isn't even applied consistently. Nearing a hundred chapters now and this aspect of his character has proven to be superfluous. The only time I think it benefited the narrative in the slightest was in setting up the great Comed Tea joke here. It sometimes even borders on parody, and not in the affectionate manner that is used in other parts of the fic, but in a way that is whacky and tonally dissonant to the rest of the fic.
Enei Emmu chapter 12 . 2/2/2013
A Cthulhu reference. That's freaking awesome.
Krysania chapter 12 . 1/9/2013
The last part was very satisfying I always wondered how Tom would have taught if he had atained his dream and was very disapointed with Quirrell...
But All in all your Harry makes me think of Tom again and again...
Writing bunny chapter 12 . 1/6/2013
Just how powerful is the Comed-tea? Does it really alter reality or does it only influence the drinker's mind?
Biabara chapter 12 . 1/3/2013
And here comes Tom! Can't believe he was able to say that with a straight face- he was the one to curse the DADA position after all, so it is his fault that they were taught by 'the incompetents, scoundrels, and the unlucky'.
StrangeoneXD chapter 12 . 12/16/2012
Ravenclaw seems much more interesting now as well, especially the forcing to eat bit. But Quirrell...is it split personality or split humans? Or maybe obfuscating stupidity and nervousness
PigfartsAlumni chapter 12 . 12/15/2012
AAHHH! This is so addictive! It's 1:40 in the morning, and even though I'm exhausted, all I want to do is keep reading!
Dan Riddle chapter 12 . 12/14/2012
"There was something undignified about ascending through the clever use of fizzy drinks.

But he was going to test it experimentally."

Well said, Harry, well said! :D
Byakugan789 chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
...Ok, this has been relatively good, LAREGLY surreal and sort of funny; But know I KNOW you're changing things just to change them. You often take things farther than you should turning them from funny and intilectual to downright irritating, but comed tea? Dumbledore's comment? Quirls massive turnarround? Sure, he was like this at the end of the book, but there was a reason he built and maintined the fascade in the first place. It's not that I don't like the idea of a compitent defense teacher at hogwarts, especially quirl or lockheart, but you have no reason, apperant or vague, to have done it other than because you simply wanted to.
theYellowDello chapter 12 . 11/20/2012
I must say, the Comed-Tea is an extremely delightful invention.
LordXeenTheGreat chapter 12 . 10/2/2012
THis is a great Chapter!
The Potters of the Future chapter 12 . 9/20/2012
Quirrell's different
Guest chapter 12 . 9/6/2012
Oh my gosh I have zero critisism and I can critisize anyone. Wait, who are you? You should get this published professionally.
voodooqueen126 chapter 12 . 8/1/2012
Very fun. I hate to say it but earlier you made Harry a jerk, and caused me to fear that intelligent men are awful people.
AnimationNut chapter 12 . 7/26/2012
I love Dumbledore :)
noiha chapter 12 . 7/21/2012
the harry p.e.v. here helps me to understand voldemort more. rowling is stricted by rating (?) thus she never make voldemort any more 'human'. not that harry p.e.v here is not 'human', but he's indeed not your average guy with bravery and kind heart like harry potter. and so did voldemort. harry p.e.v is incredibly smart and witty, with a very numb heart he seems to have, he still has what dumbledore refer as the most magic-est thing... love... omg, i can't wait to read your version about this whole 'love' thing. haha. that's said, i love this fic to tidbits. sorry if my rant doesn't make sense, after all i don't belong with you guys ravenclaw, i'm hufflepuff through and through.
The Eternal Observer chapter 12 . 7/21/2012
Excellent story so far, nothing really to say when I still have so more to read but I have a question rather. How come Harry assumes the comed-tea alters the universe around him rather than alter him in some way?
Just a review chapter 12 . 7/20/2012
It occurred to me that this whole fan fiction is really an alternate universe created by someone drinking comed-tea. Perhaps before the moment of Harry being sorted since in JKR's version I think Ravenclaw would be the last place I'd expect him to be sorted into, and that's including Elf. Actually I think it was me. I was there someone obliviated my memory of it. And with the mention of Quidditch in this chapter I couldn't help but think of Harry catching the remembrall and McGonagall of course seeing it but she'd surprise herself by actually wishing Harry had been Gryffindor, but then not mentioning what she saw to anyone else. But of course that couldn't happen because the Gryffindors and Slytherins were having their flying lesson that day, so Harry wouldn't be there at all.

It's a bit strang I have gotten into a rather Harry Potter mood today which was my trigger for reading this, but it was because of a dream I had last night(stop reading here to avoid boredom and a random tangent that has little to do with anything)... I walked into a very strange shop with tons of objects in it and when you passed by certain objects would be drawn to you like a magnet (they would stick to you, though some you would have to get really close to first) and somehow they said something about you as a person. There were a ton of yellow squares of foam lying all around the floor that were inexplicably drawn only to my left foot. Notably a glass dolphin figurine flew into my hand and randomly turned into a blue baseball cap which I somehow knew would allow me to dive to the deepest depths of the ocean without being crushed by the pressure. There was a rack with a lot of dark blue and white glass necklaces hanging from it of all shapes and sizes which I ran my hand through gently for fun and came out with one shaped like a sword. Then... I found the sorting hat. Which didn't make much sense. I put it on and had a sort of convesation with it. I asked why it wasn't at Hogwarts and I got the general idea it had been offended severely in some way and ran away.. though I am not quite sure how that is possible. Then I asked to be sorted because that's what it was supposed to do after all and it didn't want to because I was a muggle. But it gave in after a lot of persuading and then there was an argument about why I didn't belong in Hufflepuff and so then it decided: SL- And I went very cold because I felt I had done something horribly wrong in that conversation. I saw where the hat was coming from because I do have a kind of complex about being great. Because I have been labeled 'gifted' and told my whole life by my mother that she wouldn't be surprised if I became great. The terrible thing is that in my need to be important I had sacrificed my whole self. I probably did fit in Hufflepuff... Slytherin just seemed oh so wrong for me somehow even if everyone there isn't all bad. Even if I wasn't really a Hogwarts student so it wouldn't matter anyway (that was all one thought that took a moment in the dream even if it took a while to type out). And the hat paused before completing it's word and instead decided I better be Gryffindor (I can't fathom why since I am rather a coward. I insist I am a coward! Even if I do enjoy a certain amount of mischief, can't contain my own curiosity for the better, and do admit I would sacrifice myself for a friend in an instant. I'm sort of awesome aren't I? Just kidding! I am a completely pompous fool for thinking that!)
That happened before reading this fic, so the whole part with Harry being sorted was very reminiscent of that dream for me. Yes I am aware anyone reading this doesn't give a damn.
Jaol chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
School song...haahaa. 1 to Less Wrong for writing a crazy funny fanfic.
Satirica chapter 12 . 7/16/2012
It looks like Harry's a very profound character...I knew that from Chapter One, but the way he associates larger concepts with simple things like Comed-Tea (okay, there's nothing simple about Comed-Tea...or about anything, for that matter, except for the fact that it's magical and magic is yet to be explained) ...displays more of his eleven year old supergenius.
Skimaskmaster chapter 12 . 7/8/2012
You are a truly a smack dab amazing author. I truly admire your scientific ability
David DeLaney chapter 12 . 6/18/2012
I think the implication here is that Harry has only applauded Blaise Zabini out of those sorted into _Slytherin_. Which, yes, looks rather odd if you're not reading his internal narrative.

-Dave
benthor chapter 12 . 6/17/2012
Near the beginning of the chapter, we read this:

quote: "Harry joined in the applause greeting the young girl [...]" :endquote

A bit later, Harry also applauds Ron:

quote: "Harry, after a moment, smiled and started applauding along with the others." :endquote

But then this sentence doesn't make sense at all:

quote: "Great, so now he'd only applauded Zabini... Oh well." :endquote

The second part of the chapter is great though. It foreshadows a lot, especially about Quirrel and Dumbledore.
pocketgiraffe chapter 12 . 5/20/2012
Sheer genius, really.
cherapin chapter 12 . 5/6/2012
Okay, so this is a school for wizards, the headmaster is a known lunatic, each professor has a hidden, malevolent agenda and the students are pretty much aware of all of this. I remember thinking similar things as I listened to the introductory speeches as I entered [1] high school, [2] preparations for my entrance to Australia to escape the United States Selective Service draft (which utterly failed a couple years later when I joined . . .)[3] the United States Air Force (a more subtle way to dodge the draft), [4] university attendance under the GI Bill (thanks to the USAF draft-dodging program), [5] my first position as a teacher of secondary education (another failure after one year of utter insanity in which I succeeded in the classroom and parent-teacher nights but failed at Teachers' Lounge), and so on. Anyone who thinks that the introduction to any of these institutions makes sense is cerifiably insane.
Hidden Lines chapter 12 . 4/7/2012
That part where Harry applauds Zabini Blaise and people look at him wierd. I hate when that happens. He's just doing it to be polite, and people think he's just applauding a Slytherin. Eesh.
ScreenwriterKitteh chapter 12 . 4/7/2012
Apparently I'm one of the only people who recognized the Lovecraft-ian disclaimer...

Great chapter!
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 12 . 3/31/2012
I've been rereading the chapters with Quirrel in them and I just have to say, I do believe that he is secretly no one. Thats right, no one. He exists in this story without a set of rules that you follow to set his overall character. He could be some sort of Voldemort replaced (not possessed) Quirrel, which explains the doom sense on his first trip to Diagon Alley, and their bad reaction to each other magically (since the blood/love sacrifice/JKR plot device would still be on Voldemorts status effect list). He could also be just a plain revised Quirrel with these new charecteristics of yours added on. The largest and most logical reason that would have me believing the first option is that with Harrys new intelligence and scientific reasoning, Voldemort would have to be upgraded in some way, otherwise he would be left as a tempertantrum throwing orphan that has access to a wand V.S. Harry who can destroy pockets of Death and block the killing curse with his Patronus Mk. II. The second reason is that who could possibley written so long a story that has only just gotten near the end of first year, without having Voldemort in it? The third and final reason, is that having Quirrel be Voldemort (or possessed again, but done right this time) after everyone reading this story has convinced themselves that Quirrel is just an OC with the canon Quirrels body in the story, revealing him to be Voldemort training/tainting Harry would get reactions from everyone, and isn't that what wrighting is all about?

(not really, I just thought that was a cool way to end that)

P.S. I don't care if Quirrel somehow turns out to be something completley insane, like Harry from the future (that's option #3), this is still one of the best written, hilarious, informative, captivating, and brilliant stories I have ever read. Yes, I did read the Cat in the Hat before this.
Hello chapter 12 . 3/30/2012
I got caught up reading and didn't review...

Anyway, when I first read this I did try to do the challenge with the sorting hat, but I didn't try very hard because I didn't want the surprise spoiled.

I know that I didn't get it but thought the idea was profound.

I also remember the Harry-choking-without-tea event and realizing that that tea doesn't work like Harry thinks.
Mr H. Potter chapter 12 . 3/25/2012
""First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. That is why it is called the Forbidden Forest. If it were permitted it would be called the Permitted Forest."

Straightforward. Note to self: Forbidden Forest is forbidden."

Lol, I love improved!Dumbledore.

""Additionally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death. It is guarded by an elaborate series of dangerous and potentially lethal traps, and you cannot possibly get past all of them, especially if you are only in your first year.""

Oh so subtle.
Destiny919 chapter 12 . 3/13/2012
Wha . . . wha? um, lol? i . . . i . . . wha?
A fan chapter 12 . 3/13/2012
Just a quick little thing- You say that Harry joined in on the applause for Lisa Turpin, but later you state that he'd only applauded for Blaise.

Awesome fic, though. No words can describe.
The Blind One chapter 12 . 2/18/2012
"Specific and credible threats." *snort* Something about that sentence just makes me laugh.

Sslytherin'ss ssnake? Not hiss bassilissk? Or maybe that meanss the ssnake carved in the bathroom, or whatever more logical place thiss Ssalazar put it. (Okay, enough with the ss-ing.)

My significance sense is tingling over the Comed-Tea. (Which, if I didn't note this before, is a horrible pun and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.)

The "no pestering" Rule is so unutterably Ravenclaw. I can quite imagine a table full of nerds arguing so passionately they entirely forgot about food. *cough* Who, me? I've never done that...

And cue Professor Quirell. Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon, that sound you just heard was the complexity of this fic climbing a very steep cliff.

"I have long wished to someday try my hand as the Professor of DADA." Yeah, we know. You were also a very sore loser about that, once upon a time.

What in hell is wrong with Quirell, anyway? In canon, he was only weird and stuttery because the possession wasn't as seamless as this appears to be, I thought. *grumbles, moves on to the next chapter*
Deathspell Delta chapter 12 . 1/30/2012
Ah, looks like Harry hasn't really gotten started on his "to-do list #2" (formerly #1) quite yet, which was to research mind magic. What are all the know mind magics, anyway? Obliviate is the obvious one, and confundus came up a few times in canon but I don't remember seeing it play a big role in MoR yet. Implanting false memories is another, but I don't know whether that's an aspect of obliviate, confundus, or a new spell. There's also legilimency and occlumency.

Curiously enough, the three Unforgivables in the MoR!verse could all plausibly be mind magic. Imperio for obvious reasons. Crucio leaves no physical damage so it potentially hijacks the brain's pain centers directly (and according to Quirrell, it also causes permanent insanity even after a very short exposure of "longer than a few minutes," which sounds far more likely with direct mind-tampering than with simple sensory nerve stimulation). Avada Kedavra was soul magic in canon and not mind magic, but in MoR there are probably no souls (at least that's what both Harry and Quirrell believe). There's also the notable fact that in chapter 16, Quirrell specifically states that the Killing Curse "works every single time on anything with a brain."

Not soul, but brain. I'm seeing Avada Kedavra in MoR as being something like deathwands (hah, wands, what a coincidence) in Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos, which kill by scrambling every synapse and neuron inside the victim's skull, thus destroying the information-theoretic structure of the brain.

Neat stuff. Yes, I'd like to see Harry apply his talents to mind magic research soon (Avada Kedavra 2.0?). Quirrell has permission to teach the Killing Curse now-perhaps that will remind Harry of his forgotten resolution.
LadyReno chapter 12 . 1/29/2012
-sigh-

Dumbledore...I love you.
The Babel Fish chapter 12 . 12/29/2011
Dear Less Wrong,

The reviews are going to be a bit haphazard because I have read it all and I cannot stop myself from commenting on everything I think of. Sorry.

Quirrell seems a bit bipolar to me, with the mannerism changes and sudden bouts of sleepiness.

If you say he isn't wearing a turban, but he did put a Horcrux in space, then I have no clue what in the world is going on in this fic!

I suppose, according to the 'First Law of Fanfiction'...if Harry gets rationality, then Quirrell - and Voldemort - get knowledge of Muggle science, which is really quite good - and use it to put a Horcrux in the Pioneer Plaque which is now far, far away.

I always did think that canon!Voldemort was stupid to hide his Horcuxes in relics of the Founders and put them in Gringotts and Hogwarts. Far too obvious. I would have thought along the lines of a little pebble on a beach, or a crisp packet in a landfill. Something like that.

But your idea was much better.

I think this is shaping up to be a very, very long fanfic, if you do intend to follow it through to Voldemort's death. If not...then I don't know. Maybe Voldemort feels remorse and dies of his own accord - even though Rowling wrote Voldemort to be an inherently evil character. Or maybe he isn't completely evil in this fic.

Perhaps, if Quirrell feels remorse, it might be possible? But that would probably be a long way off, since Harry's never even heard of a Horcrux yet, let alone how to destroy one.

And Snape. I wonder - what can be the purpose of Ch. 77?

I shall keep wondering.

Also I am in love, because I now know what Bayes' Theorem is.

Regards,

The Babel Fish
Sploogal chapter 12 . 12/26/2011
My friend recommended this to me, having in turn been put onto it by another friend. This fic is the most awesome example of awesomeness I have encountered in roughly a decade of ficcing! I'm constantly having to stop reading because I've burst out in uncontrollable fits of laughter. Your Harry is very endearing! And it's really nice to have all of these scientific concepts summarised into bite-sized chunks as well. I was already aware of a lot of what's been mentioned so far, but it's so exciting to be exposed to some new concepts while I'm on a study break without having to read a textbook for it! I will definitely be checking out the Sequences!

Since my eyes are a bit dodgy and I have trouble reading off a computer screen, I tried the link to the pdf/book-like version, but it doesn't appear to work. If you don't mind, I'll be creating my own pdf to put on my kindle so as to avoid eye-strain since it seems I will be spending quite a few hours reading the rest of this!

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind revealing a little info about yourself and haven't already done so in a chapter I have yet to read, what do you do for work/study/life in general? Like, are you a scientist or a student of science who does this purely for fun, or are you stuck in a mindless job and using this as an outlet for your genius so as not to go mad, or are you frustrated by the mindlessness of many people and fanfics and looking to fix the problem by educating rabid Harry Potter fans, or... what? (I ask because I am currently envisioning the author of this work as being very much this Harry, and while that is kind of an exciting thought it is also somewhat scary, in a good way.)

Now I have to get back to reading...
The-Godish-Child chapter 12 . 11/11/2011
I cant believe you know about baba yaga,thats just so random but awesome,I mean how do you know all of what you know? Did you just wake up one day and think hmmm I think that Im going to write about the harry potter books with a twist and include all of these smart things inside... Which dont get me wrong I love this fic with the witty comments and the humor and everything else but this harry makes me feel so stupid
EpitomyofShyness chapter 12 . 11/9/2011
Ah I skipped ahead again! This is too good!
nljfs chapter 12 . 11/8/2011
Gosh... I love the Complete Enchanter... Harold Shea, oh that brings back memories & a desire to hunt through my bookshelves!
ShadowDragon010 chapter 12 . 11/6/2011
So harry on a journey to be not evil.
Toratchi888 chapter 12 . 10/6/2011
Does anyone else get the feeling that the one little voice is always right, and the other one is always wrong, but you usually listen to the wrong one? And the one that's wrong is usually the more handsome one?

...Stopping now.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/20/2011
This fanfiction is... amazing! Oh, if only Harry had been a person like that! I would have loved a main character like that! And instead we have a stupid mean boy who doesn't care about rules... oh well...

I really liked what Harry thought about the Quidditch: I always thought the same!

But will Harry become evil? He doesn't seem to really be trying to fight against destiny (heh! "Screw Destiny", eh? It reminds me of something... _-)

I loved that part with Quirrel... that was Voldemort, right? So here Voldemort has decided that hey, he will be the teacher and he will be the most amazing teacher, too! Take that, Dumbledore!
PW chapter 12 . 9/9/2011
"Long awaited students" huh? I think I know who gave THAT speech. ;) Love this twist.
Tactition101 chapter 12 . 9/8/2011
What. The. Hell? He didn't drink that soda so what in all nine Corellian hells was that about? Good story though.
madeyemarauder chapter 12 . 8/29/2011
Tom still has the ability to charm when he needs to. His lessons should be quite interesting.
Pelahnar chapter 12 . 8/20/2011
Ok, I'm revising when I will review again. Not only when the chapter is positively AMAZING, but also when I actually have something to say. For this one, I have two things to say, possibly three.

One: My hypothesis on the Comed-Tea is that, it's less that drinking it makes something unexpected happen, and more that when something unexpected is about to happen, you are magically pressured into drinking it, presuming that it was available for drinking. For example, Harry was 'compelled' to try drinking for Dumbledore's speech again (only not doing it because he out-thought himself) and seconds later he nearly choked on his own saliva.

Two: If Harry thought of this, he would realize that - even if it's not omnipotent - this drink has future-telling capabilities.

Three: Odd as it may seem, I did not - not until reading this chapter - realize that Voldemort sharing Quirrel's body meant that he was sort of getting his original dream job of teaching at Hogwarts.

Four: This, I have now decided, is why Quirrel was teaching DADA in Harry's first year at all. Because Dumbledore DIDN'T introduce him in the books - and because the students, i.e. Percy, already knew who he was - it can be assumed that he simply switched classes. I think other fanfic authors have classified him as a Muggle Studies teacher. But my new theory is that Voldemort MADE him switch classes and his reasoning was this: if Quirrel was teaching in a position that Voldemort knew was cursed (having cursed it himself), then that would mean Quirrel would lose the job by the end of the year. A good reason for him losing the job was Voldemort's own return to power. Perhaps Voldemort even thought that half having the job himself (as, presumably, he himself was exempt from the curse) would help to secure the school for him somehow.

I guess I had four things to say. Whatever - I'll keep reading now.
kirpi chapter 12 . 7/21/2011
Hi, I'm having a great time reading your fanfic, but there's just one inconsistency that doesn't fit well with Harry's new character, I feel. I don't understand why Harry has the idea in his head that Come-Tea may alter reality or have control over the environment in any way and possibly grant him omnipotence at all. I understand that this might be a possibility, but considering Harry's skepticism and his extensive study along with the general absurdity of life, wouldn't he conclude that it is more likely that Comed-Tea merely either makes you more susceptible to shock or that it directs your attention to something absurd and/or shocking. This seems much simpler than having control over history, reality, and other persons, and following Occam's Razor, the simpler explanation is probably the correct one. Also, the salesman who initially sold the Comed-Tea mentioned that it was "guaranteed" to happen once per can. Now, this doesn't mean that it was an absolute guarantee. It could merely have been a sales pitch. Just because the salesman said it was so, doesn't mean it is so. Harry even remarks about this right after he buys the cans.

It just seems out of character that rational, scientific, educated Harry jumps to the conclusion that Comed-Tea may have reality-altering powers.
Megan McAlistair chapter 12 . 7/13/2011
"As if it had altered history to fit?"

Hypothesis: an entity that moves backwards through time has set up Comed-Tea as a business idea, selling the magically vanishing tea just the right way to just the right people at just the right time that every time a can is drunk something would simultaneously occur that would make them choke on it

in which case it would be the seller and not the tea itself

Wild Fan Speculation: Harry will one day figure out all the rules of magic, including Time-Turners, he will figure it's a great way to make money, and become that entity previously mentioned
Isa Knightwalker chapter 12 . 7/10/2011
Nice chapter! Can't wait to see what is up with Quirrel, very confusing plot turn (even though you said at the beginning there would be many changes instead of just Harry).
Lectorem chapter 12 . 7/3/2011
Were you speaking Cthulhu-ian?
Diz chapter 12 . 6/26/2011
Quirrel did not stutter. Why not?
Ketch117 chapter 12 . 5/25/2011
So I want to like this story. I really do. It's engaging, well-written, and has it's own take on the Harry Potter universe that is refreshing to see, to be honest. Because you are absolutely correct about many of the points you raise.

But, to be harsh but accurate, I find it has gone downhill, or rather, never really took off. Not meaning to be overly critical, but its main problem is it's characters. Or, particularly, character singular, the protagonist. Harry doesn't act like an eleven year old on the start of a wonderful adventure, in a whole new world discovering new with every glance. He acts like a pretentious twenty year old majoring in Philosophy and Science, who has been mistakenly given Nietzsche. I don't find his behavior in anyway accurate or believable, and as a consequence can't really make myself care about the rest of the story. Apparently he is well read. Nothing wrong with that, I was well-read (though more in the genre of fiction) when I was that age, but being well-read still has it’s limits, and there is only so much he’d be capable of understanding.

First up: It doesn't matter how smart he is, or rather how good his deductive capabilities are, and how much knowledge he has in his brain. Where did all the emotional intelligence come from? Why is he acting like a grown man, when he's eleven? At the very least he should be demonstrating savant like characteristics as his mind overtakes his experience, but instead he’s slightly egocentric and mostly unbelievable.

Second up: Even if we assume he’s a Mentant or whatever, where did all this experience come from? And why is he worrying about, say, conservation of mass instead of conservation of energy? And while he does apply the scientific technique properly, he asks things like ‘where did all the mass go?’ and not things like ‘where does the energy that makes the mass vanish come from?’ or ‘why do some people have magic and others not? Is their some aspect of their physiology that makes it so?’ which seems to me to be a better use of it.

It’s possible to write a convincing child genius, and you’re idea is in the right direction, but I feel you’ve done too much too fast, presenting him as this to a ludicrous, unbelievable extent from day one rather then building it up overtime. Rather then develop these traits overtime, he’s presented this way from the start, that leaves no real opening for Character development,

Ultimately, I can’t bring myself to keep reading, despite liking the premise, but I thought I should give you a critique.

Keep writing.
Morwen Tindomerel chapter 12 . 5/10/2011
Harold Shea? The Incomplete Enchanter Harold Shea? Did he have Belphebe with him? She'd have made a heck of a Care of Magical Creatures teacher.
Aly chapter 12 . 5/8/2011
Well Quirrel has also been changed...
Neutrino Doctor chapter 12 . 4/27/2011
I have to comment on a fallacy of logic regarding the Comed-Tea. Harry immediately concludes that the only way for the drink to work is for it to adjust reality to create a comedic event. Rather there are many other possibilities of which this Harry would have considered. For example, the drink could alter one's own perceptions of what is funny allowing for an easier spit take that would be partially from the suggestion that one wouldn't laugh which can make one more prone to laughing like telling someone not to think about something which makes them think about that think and partially chemical to assure someone is prone to laughing like nitrous oxide makes someone giddy. Another possibility is that the drink interprets your mental state to find what you would find funny at a given time (the variety of which would be broader than any individual could discern and could culminate in a number of events to alter ones perceptions of what is funny to build up to a spit take event) and then would alter your mental state so that you would look at the proper time in the proper place to see the proper events around you to create a spit take. Most likely is a combination of a few explanations to guaranty success with most any subject and of course most obviously Harry has not tested it sufficiently to come to a conclusion that it does work for everyone at all times even if you are someone who knows exactly how the drink works and are able to alter yourself to make yourself less prone to laughing. I have only mentioned the most plausible explanations I have come up with but there are many more between these and the unreasonable conclusion that the drink is omnipotent. Even the idea that this drink shifts the user into a parallel reality where specific events occur rather than altering a specific reality. This might be tested by forcing a situation as Harry suggested where the drink is forced to bounce the user from one reality to another and then another drink forces the user to bounce back creating inconsistent facts if it is true. Most importantly is that Harry hasn't tried sensory deprivation to reduce the methods that could cause a spit take which seems the most obvious way to test the power of the drink. You've done so well with the rest of the story and I'm in love with it which is why I'm surprised that the drink part seemed so incomplete. Just thought you might want to see the flaws I feel exist since you seem to have great appreciation for your story as do I. Thank you for this story by the way. I love it :)
Inverness chapter 12 . 4/13/2011
Wow, so it seems Tom Riddle actually DID want that job.
Elibeth-hobbit chapter 12 . 3/29/2011
This boggles the mind. Truly.
Raemon chapter 12 . 3/21/2011
befuddled: what grade science class? I've been thinking teachers should assign this since I first read it (although I'm not sure its optimized for high school)
Smooth Trooper chapter 12 . 3/3/2011
Quirrell seems interesting. Can't wait to see how this goes.
Kerr Avonsen chapter 12 . 2/27/2011
*"Salutations, my young apprentices," said Professor Quirrell in a dry, confident tone.*

Dark Lord of the Sith, here we come. Voldemort's come out to play, will he come out again?
ARMH chapter 12 . 2/20/2011
What do you mean Harry only clapped for Zabini?

"Harry joined in the applause that greeted the young girl who was walking shyly toward the Ravenclaw table, her robes' trim now changed to dark blue."

"Ron Weasley got a lot of applause, and not just from the Gryffindors. Apparently the Weasley family was widely liked around here. Harry, after a moment, smiled and started applauding along with the others."

"No other name was called out after that, and Harry realized that "Zabini, Blaise" did sound close to the end of the alphabet. Great, so now he'd only applauded Zabini... Oh well."
Ligare chapter 12 . 1/14/2011
I absolutely love your sense of humor! Thank you for writing a fanfiction where misspelling dwells not and the reader needs not fear repetitive use of mundane and worst, popular plots without at least have some variation. You revive my faith in fanfiction.

While I'm not going to recommend you for Pulitzer, I really have to applaud your brainchild for being unique and memorable. Please write some more.
sjm95x chapter 12 . 1/5/2011
Amazing and funny. Dark Lord Potter ftw!

"Dark Lord Potter, is Dumbledore truly gay?"

"Well according to the Baye's hypothesis of..."
Tangshou chapter 12 . 1/3/2011
So nice to meet Quirrel.

He says the line:

"I assure you, that doom is not to be my incompetence."

I think there's a mistake in there. Maybe 'due to my incompetence,'?
Gelacacine chapter 12 . 12/13/2010
Please let Dumbledore be an animagus owl. Although, given how many things Harry has to resolve, I really don't see why he doesn't keep a diary.

To be fair if Dumbledore is not an animagus owl, then, well, Harry was not paying much attention to his surroundings at the time. Also no reason Ron wouldn't go off and complain to authority, though it isn't ronish, and no reason Ron wouldn't meet the headmaster's eye, though the headmaster i would hope would um, not use his powers so frequently.
Kiyoko Michi chapter 12 . 11/28/2010
... I officially love this chapter. And Comed-tea. And the Sorting Hat. I was laughing so hard while I was reading this, and I'm really, really looking forward to reading the rest of it. Not only do you have great ideas, but you also have a good writing style too!

My favorite quote- "Brilliant! If everyone knows, no one will suspect it's a secret!"
Mitchell chapter 12 . 11/28/2010
" ... doom is not to be my incompetence."

That does not seem right. Perhaps: "AS A RESULT of my ..."
Mind's III chapter 12 . 11/21/2010
I loved chapter 12. The idea that Harry might have retrospectively made Dumbledore act insane - or actually BE insane - was ingenious, funny, a remarkable twist on canon, and maybe even added an obstacle to Harry's progress, in accordance with your first rule of fan fiction. Still, I'm glad on the whole that he wasn't really to blame, because it seemed a bit cruel, a bit too heavy, too early on.

Actually it reminded me of the webcomic "Darwin Carmichael Is Going To Hell", in which the eponymous character accidentally makes the infant Dalai Lama retarded.

In retrospect, Harry wanting to drink the comed-tea immediately followed by "Harry inhaled his own saliva and went into a coughing fit" should have clued me in a lot earlier about the actual answer to how it worked; I'm kind of embarassed about NOT working it out on my own.

The Hogwarts song being sung with each person's favourite tune AND words is a nice escalation from canon.
w chapter 12 . 11/10/2010
And back to good stuff again:

fhtagn

Whisper whisper whisper harry potter whisper whisper slytherin whisper whisper no seriously what the hell whisper whisper - was it really here the first time? I have this nagging suspicion this keeps changing when I'm not looking.

Instant silence? Why would people be so afraid of D?

What do you mean he'd only applauded Zabini, given he applauds both Lisa and Ron before.

Boom boom swamp.

Hail the Dark Lord Harry.

"I see," whispered Harry, lowering his own voice. "So everyone knows that Dumbledore is secretly a mastermind."

Omnipotence ideas.

Wish granted.

1 points.

How does D know about Quidditch? I mean, Ron wouldn't have talked to him yet. Weird.

3rd floor corridor.

Q's here! Boy do you write him well. And yes, exactly, the emotion here explains why he's so trustful towards Q later.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 12 . 11/2/2010
Seems to me like you must be pretty smart yourself to write something like this. It's rather intelligent and funny.
Indigo Ziona chapter 12 . 10/16/2010
I am beginning to wonder if Dumbledore's general oddness is actually all Harry's fault... an intriguing hypothesis...
Kutta chapter 12 . 10/7/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 12 . 10/6/2010
Excellent chapter.
Nakedkali chapter 12 . 10/4/2010
Quirrell: the best way to tell a lie in a world full of Occlmency and Veritaserum is to believe the lie yourself?

I was thinking that the first reference to Parseltongue was much later in the story. It seems odd that the person who found out he spoke it then would be the only person who has figured it out by now, because of options 3c and 3d.

And yet, we've seen no signs that they know, storywise.
dinosaurusgede chapter 12 . 10/4/2010
Quirellmort, yeah!
Dureth chapter 12 . 9/26/2010
This is a great chapter, but the lack of proper punctuation in Quirrel's speech makes him sound less intelligent than I suspect you intended to portray. The sentence "Past Professors of Defense have included not just the legendary wandering hero Harold Shea but also the quote undying unquote Baba Yaga, yes, I see some of you are still shuddering at the sound of her name even though she's been dead for six hundred years." is, I think, the main offender.
Rebel Goddess chapter 12 . 9/20/2010
I adore that Harry believes he has already raised himself to Godhood. I want Comed-Tea now. Of course, reading this story is a bit like drinking it and sitting in front of waiting for a normal!Harry story to appear then reading this instead.
Serpent In Red chapter 12 . 9/11/2010
Hm ... since Quirrell doesn't have the turban this time around, I do wonder if Lord Voldemort would find a way back into Hogwarts to steal the Philosopher's Stone ... since you do have the third floor corridors blocked off, I'm assuming that Fluffy's there, and therefore, the Philosopher's Stone. So ... now I wonder where Quirrell's loyalties lie. Ahhh, so many questions. So I better continue reading then. ;)

Again, many parts made me laugh out loud, though I didn't list them out, to save you from being bored by my babbling and nonstop words. ;)

~Serp
meh chapter 12 . 7/19/2010
...good and evil are opinions...as well as dark and light...killing all the uppity pure-bloods has benefits and consequences that would have to be looked at carefully to determine whether or not it would be better, for whatever result you desired, to kill them all, some of them or none of them, that is actually being objectively intelligent...pretty much what I'm saying is that he is acting just like a human within societal boundaries and though knowledgeable is not actually an intelligent person...or a wise one.
MBM1952 chapter 12 . 7/10/2010
Reading this chapter I am having more fits of uncontrollable laughter than in the last couple of years put together. Fortunately, I haven't yet spit any green fluid out of my mouth!
Itachi's apprentice chapter 12 . 6/27/2010
Great work.
James Birdsong chapter 12 . 6/23/2010
Glorious
Syron13 chapter 12 . 6/15/2010
Voldie took over Quirrell's mouth? So Harry's change in behavior and new house changed his plans on how to behave.
Jade chapter 12 . 6/12/2010
Hmm if I was voldy I just put harry into a lab with every thing he needs and use the stuff he makes to take over the world.
Psalmy chapter 12 . 6/9/2010
Wow. What great... conflict? Yes, conflict with his mirror and himself.
Mr.Destructo chapter 12 . 5/20/2010
omg a review!
TxA-GunFighter chapter 12 . 4/20/2010
Very good chapter.

Gunny
Cinnamon Selkie chapter 12 . 4/19/2010
The Ravenclaws' reactions to Harry should have been quite expected for that house, but somehow managed to take me by surprise.

~"Silence!" shouted Professor McGonagall at the podium of the Head Table. "No talking until the Sorting Ceremony finishes!"

There was a brief dip in the volume, as everyone waited to see if she was going to make any specific and credible threats, and then the whispers started up again.~

*Lols* Good line.

~He really really really shouldn't have done that. Amazing how much more obvious that became one second after it was too late.~

Such is the nature of human existence-but I'm not sure that that was entirely the tea. Dumbledore is entirely capable of coming up with something like that on his own.

~"Brilliant!" Harry whispered. "If everyone knows, no one will suspect it's a secret!"

"Exactly," whispered a student, and then he frowned. "Wait, that doesn't sound quite right -"~

Yeah, Harry's going to have no problems taking over this world.

~"No pestering during mealtimes!" chorused at least three people. "House Rule!" added another. "Otherwise we'd all starve around here."~

How very sensible-I bet they got a Hufflepuff to draft that for them.

~"He seems a little odd," whispered Harry.

"Meh," said the older-looking student. "You ain't seen nothin'."~

How very, very true...Cinnamon.
Makurayami Ookami chapter 12 . 4/11/2010
well written.
hordac85 chapter 12 . 4/11/2010
Excellent
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
Fantastic, again. It's almost getting boring, how predictably fun and unpredictable your story is... *sigh*.
DarkHuntress01 chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
loved this chapter - it was so funny!
Nefra chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
*exclamation marks (lot of them)*

I don't think I've ever found/read a fic quite like yours. I like it. A lot. It's strange and logical and bizarre and clichéd but unclichéd at the same time. I particularly enjoyed the first meeting of Harry and Draco. And Draco himself. And Hermione. And the sorting. I sincerely hope you'll keep up the good work (and update soon). I'll check up the Lesswrongwiki when I have time. Somewhen. When I'll have stopped wondering what the blue sausages with tiny glowing bits are made of. And wait. Did Hary drink some more Comed-Tea before Dumbledore and Quirrell (long-awaited students? Riddle's, right?) after-meal speech or not? Certainly sounds like he did, but you (that is, I) never know...

*lots of exclamation and question marks, though there would be excitement marks if such a thing existed in punctuation-world"

- all mistakes are to be attributed to the fact that my mother language isn't English, but French -
kdorian chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
OK, first: "...the legendary wandering hero Harold Shea..." SQUE!

Second: Poor silly Harry, thinking it's that easy to outmaneuver your own dark side!

Third: Interesting changes from the book, I'm really enjoying this and can't wait for tomorrow's update!
Cassandra30 chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
Wow! Well Harry has lot of clues.
phily chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
P.S. first, since it doesn't concern the newest chapterr:

As for the Author's Notes, I don't mind having them in the chapter, as long as the chapter itself is way longer.

As for the Omake, I prefer having them seperated from the story; this way, they won't interrupt me when I'm rereading it.

A single line among the author's notes is enough notification for me.

And, since I forgot to comment on it last time, whenever I find a song in a fanfic, I just skip over it. I've never felt I missed anything, and they ruin the mood for me.

/end P.S.

Now, for the chpater itself:

Nice. And finally a longer chapter too!

Dumbledore seems a little bit crackier than I remember him from canon, which makes me wonder ... was/is he a rationalist ? Behind that little craziness, which might just be his idea of fun.

Quirrell seems to be a bit more openly possessed. Of course, having Voldemort teach defence would make it even crazier (I wonder if his own curse would hit him?).

Anyway, the third to last line promises more fun, I'll look forward to it.
Freawaru chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
The story is fabulous. I am eagerly looking forward to the next installments.
firedraygon chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
Very unique idea, I love how Harry's on this epic quest to revolutionize the wizarding world. Haha, and oddly enough I'm really looking forward to Harry's apology to Neville. Awesome work with this. Please write more soon!

~fd97
bananacupcakes chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
Please continue :]
jdboss1 chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
sorry fogot i did not updats

I love this when i saw an updats in made me haped

Chapter: 12 was not your best but still 10time better what ever i culd make
ForgottenTales chapter 12 . 4/10/2010
Thank you for updating so quickly.

I really really like the Sorting Hat with Harry's personality. LOL made me laugh alot. Though.. it did bring up some points to ponder upon, and one can't help worrying if Harry really did make the right decision. Will he regret it in time to come? Will being in Hufflepuff hamper his potential anyway?

Actually, I was rather overjoyed when the Sorting Hat suggested putting Harry in Hufflepuff. I mean, can you imagine the reactions?

So yeah.. I was dissapointed when Harry chose Ravenclaw instead.. though he does belong there.
Global Conquest-er chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
I actually don't think there's more to say other than:

You. Are. My. Hero. For. Writing. This. Fic.

Thank you, and PLEASE update again when you are able!
Alastiran chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Alright, so I've read several fan fics but this is the first i've ever felt compelled to comment on one. it took me awhile to find out I could only comment on one chapter at a time - which is a bit disappointing... Anyway, my comment will have two halves, only one of which is directed at this chapter.

1)This is the most bloody brilliant fanfic I'ver ever read. It's true I haven't read one in 3 years, but this is far more memorable and enthralling. I just hope you're able to keep the characters self consistent - with their rational selves. I think it's frequently acknowledged that while the universe is governed by laws of rationality (or perhaps rules of chaos, but rules nonetheless), rationality does not apply to people nearly so neatly. I wonder, what kind of weakness this rationality has brought to Harry. Unless he counters with super-rationality. In which case he'll never get anything done.

2)This chapter seemed rushed compared to the others. I discovered this story two days before this chapter came out and was amazingly pleased to see it was updated so quickly. However, while I will be checking frequently for updates, I think you should take your time ensuring each release is exactly what you want it to be. if that's the case for this chapter, well, then, my feed is that the style was inconsistent with previous chapters. I suppose that's not bad, but i mean to say the others were more composed.

But just to be emphasize the good: absolutely solid story. Keep it coming. can't wait to see what happens next. I love draco
MechaJon chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
This is the first Harry Potter fanfic I've read, and I have to say that it is wonderful. Some of the meta-HPfanic humor is a touch annoying, but that is the worst I could come up with.

I do wonder when Harry is going to figure that messing with Improbability generators is a Bad Idea(tm). I'm not sure if an Insane Genie is better than a Evil Genie. (I'm talking about the soda, obviously) You know what always surprises you and makes you spill your soda? A rather specific seizure.

Not often enough that a story gets people thinking, and the promise of a rationalist protagonist is interesting. From reading the author's profile, I'm wondering what Voldy's modification to offset Harry's rationality will be. I guess is the Dark Arts will be redefined to be... more useful, with a some rationality rubbing off on Voldy.

tl;dr: Keep going, Mr Author man!
Christopher Hall chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
I don't read much fan fic, and I don't know much about Harry Potter, but this is the most delightful thing I have found on the internet for a long time. Keep up the good work! I'll keep reading!
BobSquirrelKing chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Hm... so, does the Comed-Tea actually affect reality, or does it merely see into the the future, and influence the drinker's mind so they will only feel an urge to drink it when an event that would cause a spit-take would occur. I'm beginning to suspect the latter.

With regards to the authors notes, it seems to me that if you have both omakes and author notes, it would be fine. If not, I don't think anyone would have a problem with you including authors notes at the bottom of a chapter as long as they aren't too long (which is what the person was commenting on about last chapter - I haven't been able to actually find it listed anywhere, but I know of at least one story that was removed because they started replying to every review, so the authors notes were a significant length of the chapter).

I would also like to congratulate you on making it to 2,0 reviews (and nearly 850 google entries) in less than a month-and-a-half.
Mongo chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
This has nothing directly to do with your wonderful story, but I had to share it. From w [period] scientificblogging [period] com/emergence_vergence/when_science_finally_catches_espn :

Here's what will happen when science journalism successfully recruits science fans, based on the rules mentioned above.

A typical individual, say, a local businessman, will be able to ...

1. Name his favorite scientific sub-field.

2. Name the top five current scientists in that sub-field, and be able to pick out a favorite.

3. Name the top five scientists ever in that subfield.

4. Name at least one scientist in the field that he can't stand.

5. Tell the story of what happened in the field this year, and why it was so much better than last year.

6. Buy a t-shirt representing the sub-field.

7. Argue with a fellow fan about a controversial topic in the sub-field, even if the exact technical aspects aren't understood by either.

8. Cross his fingers for a much anticipated break-through.

9. Be thrilled when he wins his Fantasy Science League (oh, it can be done!)

10. Remember the Collins/Venter rumble like it was Frazier/Ali.
Nongarak chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Oh very nice! Very nice chapter indeed. It seems the first half still held on a bit to the crazyness of the last chapter, but wonderful it was. Fun fact: I just typed wonderfuck before fixing it.

Anyways! I missed the last chapter update or something. So, I will begin by saying that Omakes are awesome, but yes they do go at the end of the chapters. Funny none the less.

I can't wait for the rest of the Operation Dark Lord plan. That should be a chapter title. This chapter was pretty hilarious. Continue writing!

Oh, one more thing. Author's notes in profile are good idea, but some people (like me), will forget that they're there.
Daybreaq chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Eh, don't worry too much about the fanfic commandos who seem to live for scolding people They're just being grouchy old neighbors who hate everyone. ;) Seriously though, I do GET where the anti-AN sentiment is coming from ... particularly at this site. Frankly, MOST ANs that get posted for stories on this site ARE annoying. They are usually filled with excuses why the author hasn't updated, threats to stop writing if more reviews aren't received, honest to goodness temper tantrums about slightly critical reviews, and reiterations that the writer's OCs "belong to me" (as if anyone would honestly want to "steal" the writer's Mary Sue.) Your AN was the exception and nothing like that. While I understand the whole "let's just make ALL ANs a no no" thing is possibly a good idea, I think perhaps the commandos could have been a bit nicer and certainly less dramatic about it. That said, I am currently reading a long WIP for the "Star Trek 2009" movie on this site where the writer has created a separate "story" for *quality* ANs for her story. I think the worst thing that could possibly happen if you do that is some ninny troublemaker reports it and the AN "story" gets removed from this site which really isn't a huge deal as long as you are saving them to post elsewhere anyway. Such a thing hasn't occurred with the ST story I mention; but then again, there might be more troublemaking ninnies in the HP fandom.

Anyway, personally, I DID enjoy your omake. I'm also very much enjoying the story as a whole. It came along at the perfect time: just as my interest in HP fic was starting to wane.
DoubleC chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Awesome going. How *did* Dumbledore know? The new Quirrel is certainly disquieting, I wonder what's the deal with him. He does seem possessed, but in an entirely new strange way.

Can't wait for the classes to start, still! Or, to be precise, to see how this Harry Potter would interact with Snape (who, along with Harry and Dumbledore, is my favourite character). Can't quite imagine them getting along at all, but one never knows, with this a-la-Machiavellian-thinking-machine!Potter.

What are those ways to make a Ravenclaw eat? They seem a sinister bunch, all of a sudden.

Eagerly waiting for the continuation.
TheSeverusSnapeFanClub chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
So, Comed-Tea really does control the universe, eh? Oh my god! This has to be one of my top favorites, if not absolute, favorite fanfics EVER! It is the perfect mix between utterly hilarious and explanatory. Why was dumbles saying all that stuff about how everything is the exact opposite of what happened in HP 1, OR that no one could do what Harry did?
Kalisko chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
...did you just have Voldemort give a speech to the entire school? That was awesome!
Majin Hentai X chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Woah that was original I mean I've never seen that before. I guess old Tom has completely suppressed Quirrell and he's living his lost dream. Its wonderful I hope your going to really going to expand on that idea.
doRodrigo chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Loving the story. Hope you update it soon. Keep up the great work.
Disgruntled Reviewer chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Again I try to read the story, give you the benefit of the doubt about it, but I really see you turning it worse than better.

Your charaterization remains lazy. The fact you say you couldn't care less about people is a possibility on WHY it is lazy.

If you are wondering what charaterization is, it is mostly the justification you provide for said character for doing their actions.

If you provide poor quality, or no justification for them acting a certain way, it is lazy. Often it is most apparent in already established characters. Considering this IS fanfiction, this is the case.

That means you are needing good justification for all these characters acting against their already present charaterization. And yet, you provide poor to no justifcation for the majority of your characters. And about the only one you actually try to do so for, Harry, it is poorly researched in certain areas and reads too much like you're just making him an UBER!Char.

If you're wanting an example, take your protrayal of Luna. You protray her as someone willing to publish lies about someone she doesn't already know. There is NO justification for this protrayal and goes against her actual character for you doing .

And your characterization isn't the only problem you have. You had an interesting idea (smart Harry and so on.) But you just are not a good author man. I'm sorry to say but you're not.
R. Donald James Gauvreau chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
The story is gone along splendidly, as always, and as for the author's notes idea, I think that more people should do that. It's an -excellent- idea.

alwaus1

robert mason
Herdo chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Excellent story. I really enjoyed reading it and I will look forward your next update. Also an interesting idea with mixing HP with real science.

Rating it 9/10, as it only needs to be completed to earn full points. Keep up the excellent job.
AzureLunatic chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
I've been enjoying this story a lot! I can't remember who linked it to me, but somebody did, and now I have a large number of my friends hooked on it; one of them was cussing me out on Twitter for making her read this and hurt herself laughing. That was at the scene of complete chaos in Madam Malkin's shop. Your ability to stack up personalities and situations and then let the whole thing fall over with hilarious inevitability is reminiscent of Gordon Korman at his finest. I have always been a fan of Potter fics that attempt to fix the whole thing by making people start to behave sensibly, if not sanely, and this is a fine addition to the list.

Regarding your Author's Notes dilemma, the thought of the notes for each chapter disappearing does sadden me some. Have you considered putting them at the end of the chapter, rather than the beginning, with the point where the chapter ends and the notes begin well-marked, so someone who is completely averse to reading them can just close the tab at that point, or scroll entirely to the bottom? It's much easier to scroll down to skip stuff when it's the last thing on the page.

I adored the omake. I've never seen any in Harry Potter fic before, but it was hilarious and a satisfying look at some of the crackier ideas you've declined to pursue.

Don't let the haters get you down, and remember, you're the one writing this, not them. 3 This fandom can be insane at times.
Lacking Rumination chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Hmm... While this chapter wasn't as amusing as its predecessors, it is still frightfully entertaining to me, such as the (Possible) control that the Dark Lord has over Quirrell's mind and attitude is astounding, and the Dark Lord does not appear to be harmless nor harmful at the time...

I believe I will wait for the next chapter to be up and absorb what you have been telling us so far. There's not enough information to conclude even a speck of your current story. No, I believe that you will eventually plot an action of which you will not have planned, and steer the course through another direction. That is what the majority of the writers nowadays progress, including thyself. But hopefully you can remain on your track and passage to your resolution, and continue forth.

... Well that was annoying writing like that.

Don't let the flamers get to you, though I was rather confused at the last chapter, I began to understand a little after reviewing the chapter.
Pathatlon chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
This was.. fascinating. Truly. Well written and very funny. I will be adding this to my favs.
artos77 chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Interesting story, although I would rather not see Harry in Ravenclaw.
theevilouterspacechicken chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
aWESOME story please update soon
SeaStones chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
I would again like to suggest you lay off on the italics. Think of books you've read, have you seen them use italics to your excess? It disrupts the flow somewhat when so many sentences in the chapter have at least one italicized word.

Also, Quirrellmort had a turban on during the feast, didn't he? But you might be distancing yourself from canon in that regard. Which is cool.

Um, also... how many people is Harry sitting next to? I would recommend that the next time you write a scene with many unknown characters that you interlace the storyline with specifics about the unknowns. For example:

"Oh, Dumbledore's insane, of course," said an older-looking Ravenclaw name Harry didn't even begin to remember. [The older boy had spiked his blond hair and it looked horrible, Harry thought.]

Obviously not exactly what I wrote, and not even for all the unknown characters, but a point of reference would be helpful when you have multiple unknowns.
R-Gomeni chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Definitely an interesting direction: the ideas which you present are creative and original in any case. For instance: Harry not investigating something? Should be... different. Still, awesome ideas, and I can't wait to see more.
Pointer3109 chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
"The Comed-Tea was omnipotent."

Kind of says it all. Doesn't it?

lmao
Robert chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
An interesting idea, fairly well done. The set up is one that could easily go badly wrong, but so far you've avoided all the pitfalls. It helps that you're not afraid to show Harry making mistakes - he's assuming the Comed-Tea works on the universe, when it could as easily work solely on the drinker, preventing them from sipping it until the exact moment they're about to witness something funny - and having the hat call him a potential dark lord is a good way of nudging him towards self-restraint, a piece of character development, which helps keeps him from being a mere authorial mouthpiece.
KGB chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Nice chapter. Especially how Harry thinks he's the cause for Dumbledore being a nutty genius. Hmm, is it research bias if you're experimenting on yourself? Besides, he doesn't know if anyone else is drinking Comed-Tea, maybe reality is constantly being altered.

I'm trying to figure out why Quirrell is suddenly a talking normal, is he missing a soul fragment? Or do the fragments have a certain harmony, and Harry's piece changed compared to the canon.
AiSard chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
Just my 2 cents on the whole AN and omake thing: omakes are best put at the end of a chapter, kind of like a bonus you can choose to read or not. A single chapter of just rather short omakes come off like the author just wanting to update but not having a chapter ready. I do rather like reading omakes but yea. As for ANs, everyone does them. The sole exceptions being the epic writers who dont want the ANs disrupting the fics or fics with short chapters wishing for the same.

That said, your probably getting loads of people reviewing about this same thing so m.. Atleast i gave my own thoughts to it *shrugs*

did rather enjoy this chapter tho, with all of harry's attempts to become Light. Wonder about Quirrel tho, whether it was the Dark Lord or a change in Quirrel.. and wonder at the response to the whole quidditch thing P
Cornflake chapter 12 . 4/9/2010
I don't think I've ever seen a story where Quirrell was set up as being so *not* infested with the dead. Good show!
Celestial Moonwalker chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
That was Tom Riddle, I swear! but his speech does make sense. And it IS rather motivational.

The only snake I can think of is the one in the Chamber. I'm pitying the poor basilisk already...
Patrick S chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Quirell's speech was genious. And what ecer your have Dumbles somking needs to be passed aroun the great hall.
Wolfric chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
*cackles* Oh my! *waves at Voldie*
Therio chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Good chapter. Nice use of reverse psychology when telling everyone to stay away from (attempt to go to) the third floor corridor, esppecially the first years who have NO chance of defearting all the traps. Yes sir, the best way to get a Ravenclaw to avoid something is to make it a challenge.

People must really love this story. Only 12 chapters and already over 20 reviews. Congratulations.
Starlight Chibi-chan chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
eh? was it voldemort speaking through quirrel or something? he became very verbally adept all of a sudden...
Triva chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Well, my goodness. I can hardly believe that I reached chapter twleve without Hogwarts collapsing, Harry taking over the world- oh, pardon me- taking apart the world to understand its finer points, and then somehow giving Lucius Malfoy an afro.

This is one of the best fanfictions I have ever read! It is recieving a portrait in my mental wall of fame and a shiny medal in my olympics of beneficial insanity. Not to be trite, but please update soon!
vlbuehle chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Oh, dear God, this is *hilarious*! I haven't laughed this hard in ages! But you still managed to pack in quite a bit of science (a fair amount of which I am now going to have to look up myself) and philosophy, so kudos to you; most fics I've seen with scientist!Harry don't bother to do the actual research, or ask the serious questions.
carriane chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I love your story and think it's both clever and hilarious! I've rarely been so entertained. Anyway in response to your author's notes, I don't see why you can't just post them at the end of every chapter (that's what most author's do!) and people who don't want to see them can just skip over. As for the omakes (which were amazing!) I guess the only people who wouldn't like them are the ones eagerly anticipating the next actual chapter. A separate story for the omakes would be awesome (or maybe at the end of the chapters). Either way, as of now I really think you're putting way too much thought into something that really should just be for fun! Screw what the readers think, we're getting so much free entertainment from your story that people really have no right to complain either way!
thenewestmarauder chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
wow...just wow...just continue haha
PeanutTree chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Oh man! Dumbledore! I have a feeling he's going to be an enjoyable part of this story. The "happy happy happy!" speech and the Quidditch reference and the thinly veiled encouragement to bother Quirrell! I love it! And Harry's inner voices are also fun to listen to.
deitarionSSokolow chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Heh heh heh. Another excellent chapter. I especially loved the "There was something undignified about ascending through the clever use of soda pop" line.
Targaryen chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
This is brilliant. Can't wait for MOAR!
badkidoh chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Another great chapter.

I look forward to the next update.
Sarah chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
-.- Thanks for calling me a moron.

Having whole chapters dedicated to omakes, could ruin the flow for some people - instead of making a seperate story, you could always just add them at the end of a chapter?

...Anyways, good chapter. So is Voldemort possessing Quirrel for the lessons? That's a rather interesting way of doing it. And I imagine Harry will like him as a teacher? I like theh tone you've set for him.
Furcas chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I don't get it. What was so bad about the Comed-Tea test? And what would be so bad about investigating the Slytherin message?
D chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Your fic is great and unique. Your Author's Notes are fine wherever you put them. I thought your omake were funny and I'm glad you posted them.

Ignore the complainers. You're not being insensitive. This is fanfiction. Do whatever the heck you want.

Just make sure you keep posting. :)
shiro-wolfman-k chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
THis was a good chapter, really, so... thanks for the update, sorry for the really bad review. yadda yadda.
Ludo chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
frigthening and somehow hilarious.
JamesTKent chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Well! I have just read the whole story thus far, having been referred, nay COMMANDED to do so by a friend on facebook.

Oh . . . my . . . dear starry heavens.

The way you toss around the very fabric of rationality quite strains the senses. What you've done to poor Harry makes me believe that, if this Harry and the canon Harry were to encounter one another, they'd disappear in a puff of logic.

Oh, and: Is that Rincewind's trunk I see? And: Harold Shea, eh? Glad to see someone's still reading the classics of, er, "Enchantment".
everetza chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
First off, I really like this story- its unique, the rational bits are well-thought out and you write well. Also, author's notes in port seem like a fine solution to me, but you can always put them in the story and the omakes seperatly in another; no-ones going to report you for having a story of deleted/possible scenes, it's common.

That said, a few suggestions: I think the pace of this story is really slowing down too much- you have a good update speed, but it's now been 3 or 4 chapters in the hall and it's starting to drag. At the start, you kept it going quite fast, but having Harry's thoughts to *every* single thing, in long monolouges... well, yeah, it drags a bit.

Secondly, itallics and repitition are good tools- they can add emphasis, sarcasm, style, flow... but you over-use them. You don't need every sentence to have some kind of humor, self-joke, itallics or criticism; it makes the good ones stand out if you just have some normal sentences that move the plot along.

More action, more awe, less thoughts, more character *development*. Harry's a strong character, but where's the development? Have him ease up on some of this, become more or less compassionate, realize something not to do with rationalism... something.

Well, that's just my two cents- it's still a very good story and I look forward to reading more! :-)
terry chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Just read authors notes for Ch 12. Obviously, do not listen to the complainers (except where they complain about you writing too slowly). Do not preemptively self-censor (yes yes you already said you weren't going to). So so 3 this story.
Gabo 1602 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I LOVE YOUR DUMBLEDORE! Lol, keep it up.
devoted2know chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Can Comed-Tea build up in a character's system? Or is the lesson that magic naturally produces odd results?
TegwenielWestwind chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I love this story. Enjoyable chapter. I wonder when/if Harry's going to realize he's only looking at the problem from one direction. It should be obvious that there is an alternative to changing the universe. IMO, the tea is changing the drinker ever so slightly.
cheekylildevil chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Congratulations on getting back to your previous level of quality when writing, the last few chapters have been close, but this one hit the proverbial nail straight on the head. I particularly liked the line: "Being at the center of an extraordinary and curious event, and then being Sorted into House Ravenclaw, was rather closely akin to being dipped in barbecue sauce and flung into a pit of starving kittens." because it shows a little bit of how every new student feels, as well as Harry's little hypothesis on the Comed-tea (which I had thought originally, and embarrassingly, was pronounced Combed-tea, which made no since...) because it is something he would do.

Congrats once again, on both the quality and 2029 reviews,

Your 13th reviewer,

Indi
Chaoslover43 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Only gets better and better. Oh and I read your AN. In my experience most people like omakes WITHIN a chapter. Many people may have been irked by the fact that the chapter was 100% Omake. Instead of like one or two at the end. Regardless I liked them XD
DarkHeart81 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Good chapter. I wonder how long it'll take Harry to realize that the Comed-Tea is just making him pay more attention to things which causes him to notice things that he otherwise wouldn't. Or at least that's more likely than the tea causing things to happen anyway. lol

Looks like Riddle has gotten his wish to teach at Hogwarts. :) I wonder how well he will do.
Steven Kodaly chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
/Looks at omake chapter/

"Khan!"

Why, oh why do you insist on making me laugh out loud in the middle of a crowd of onlookers?

So, would I be correct in presuming that Tom Riddle just introduced himself as the newest Professor at Hogwarts, or does Quirrel belong on the stage?
BoomboomPOWWWW chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Think that speech made by Quirrel is because of Harry almost being sorted into Slytherin? Probably. Very unexpected too! ) Good job!
Midnight Angels chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Poor Harry...he's having a difficult day, isn't he? :)

The Hogwarts Song is gonna make him have an annurism, isn't it?
Nonya B chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
On the idea of author page author notes:

I give you kudos for trying something new. I do not think this is the most effective way of giving authors notes, do to the fact that they are not permanent. Oddly enough, there are some people who enjoy reading the authors notes. Therefore having them be temporary means that future readers will not be able to enjoy them.

Obviously, I am not trying to coerce you either way. Rather I am trying to give you a different perspective to consider.

A review of the story so far:

Very clever! It is starting to get exceptionally rare to see a truly unique idea put into practice on this site. So, simply by that merit alone, this story is certainly amongst the creme. perhaps not the creme de la creme, but definitely somewhere in the creme itself.

Add to that the fact that you write well, and cleverly, and i definitely would sort your story into the top-notch category.

A review of this chapter:

sadly, i find this one a bit short, and not nearly as excitin s some of the others. That's ok, it is perhaps a good thing to pace yourself, after the massively significant chapter of Harry being sorted.

A post script:

have a nice day
what are you even saying chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Holy crap. I guess Voldemort's possession of Quirrell works a bit differently in this story. And Dumbledore is a bit more forthcoming as well. All positive changes in this chapter. Harry's inner monologue had me laughing more than once.

Looking forward to more.
erik chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Another well written chapter, especially the 'jaded' elder students.
morriganscrow chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Having wielded a mental machete to hack my way through a Venemous Tentacula crossed with a word salad, I arrived at the end little wiser as to what had actually happened.

Methinks you might want to clarify just what it is you're trying to say, unless, of course, you're actually striving to be too clever for your own good...
Barefoot Bohemian chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Absolutely fantastic story. I read many, many more stories than I review, so I guess reviewing this is my way of telling you that your story is by far above the normal fanfic. I enjoyed the omakes but didn't quite see the need to have them as their own chapter, one each spread out among a couple chapters at the end would perhaps have been better, but obviously it's your story and in the end I still enjoyed them. I wish you had more stories on your favorites list because I'd imagine you would have picked out some of the better ones.

Thanks for the good read so far,

BB
Illution chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Hi there. What you shouldn't do is under the publishing guidelines rule number one.

Entries not allowed:

The principle is your story should contain the story only and nothing else. A single disclaimer at the start of the story is enough. Of course not everyone follows the rules. generally most author posts AN's in their chapters, but give your length of author notes it's perhaps better to be put elsewhere like you have already done. People who write 20k word chapters post that kinda of A.N.s at the end of their chapters. There's a balance between the length of the chapter and the length of the A.N. you could keep on doing what you are doing now and just post a short note saying the A.N for the chapter is in your profile.

General rule of thumb when you want to reply to a specific review use the PM option on and the reply will be forwarded to the users account and their e-mail. Most people don't want to read your personal responses unless it also applies to them. They just want to get to the story. Most of the popular FF authors do this. I have gotten essay length responses to some of the reviews I have given out in my inbox.

Don't actively ask for reviews be cause good stories get lots of reviews with out asking like you have seen with yours. Do note the best way to interact with some of your reviewers is to use already existing fanfiction communities and post in those forums. does let you create your own forums for your stories so you can take advantage of that. You could use your blog and create a section to discuss your story there. As you already know most of the well known HP FF genera authors uses the work by author section on DLP forums to get a feel of responses first before posting on . And the responses there are a lot less harsher then the library section.
Taggart chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I have seen a rather well done story where an OMAKE occurred at the end of every chapter, properly labeled. While the OMAKE chapter did interrupt the flow of the story, which I disprove of, the lack of orderly formatting was more of a bother than the content. Author Notes at the beginning of a story can always be scrolled past. Devoting an entire story or such to them, would only ensure they were not read.

Nice touch of the silencing of the hall.

Clever way to introduce Harry's parsletongue.

Lovely homage to time travel stories.

Your Comed-Tea idea is bothering me greatly, despite the cleverness of the name. If the wizarding world had had created a potion to alter reality, would the really limit it to soda? Patents do not seem to be important in the Wizarding world and there are enough Potion Masters to develop stronger reality altering potions or change the parameters of it.

Surly the more logical solution is that once a person has been told something surprising is going to happen, he or she will be much more aware of the world around them and thus susceptible to being surprised. People find what they look for. There might even be a slight potion to make a person more observant, more susceptible, or at least more likely to drop or choke on their soda. But the soda couldn't change reality.

As for the experiment with Hermione, Harry was saying (intentionally or other wise) some very surprising things such as "I'd like you to help me take over the universe." and "I've already done a bit of experimenting and I found out that I don't need the wand, I can make anything I want happen just by snapping my fingers."

From what he knows of Hermione, he would realize that the second, if not the first, would startle her enough for some reaction. Will you explain the true workings of Comed-Tea at some point in the story?
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
It's not clear; Is this Quirrell suffering from a Voldemort infection?

The school song's words are fixed, only the tune and speed are varied.

Thanks for the update.
shenmi meiren chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
o-ho

voldie has gotten his dream job!

i like the idea of harry's ascension :D
Main Source of Annoyance chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Dumbles bonkers, hat gone loopy, Harry rather worrying (he has what seems to be an alter ego!)... Great story! Keep it up and update soon please!
cornfertilizer chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I really do like competant!Quirrel. I mean how will Voldemort recruit Harry if he comes off as a stuttering little pansy? I think that Harry could have potentially taken Quirrel-mort up on his offer if maybe he gave Harry some extra lessons or got Harry away from Vernon and Petunia.

I have a feeling that Severus and Harry will get along, this seems like there could be some potential Severus and Petunia backstory. I feel like that could have gone on in canon also, I mean when Petunia told Harry that "that boy" told Lily about dementors, she most likely meant Snape and not James Potter.

It also sounds as if there will be a funfilled trip to the Chamber of Secrets.

This is a really great story. Another good Ravenclaw!Harry story is The Birth of Evil by Disobediencechild, although that story goes in a totally direction than this and its a lot more darker. Its one of my favorite stories of all time. You're story is really great as well, I enjoyed reading it and hope for updates.
PBrules chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I'm loving the comed tea idea. Very funny.

Regarding your omakes/last chapter I didn't realise that omakes were the same as out-takes until I started reading it. I guess if people were expecting a chapter and got out-takes they would be a bit confused... Having said that people need to chill out a bit and not have a go at you for trying something new. You're not gonna be able to please all your readers all the time.

Enjoying yout writing lots and hoping you're not discouraged by those who are hyper-critical :)
Meteoricshipyards chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Some very interesting changes...

Dumbledore knowing Harry's comments to Ron from the train?

Dumbledore's comments as if he read "HP & the Philosopher's Stone" about traps and first years, and Quirrell.

Loved the poke at Manipulative!Dumbledore. However, his other comments make me wonder.

And the "Wish I'd done something different" 20 years in the future thing was great. Really great.

Thanks for the story.

Tom A.
germankitty aka Dagmar Buse chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
OMG, Harold Shea reference! It's been AGES since I read the books!

Now, re: your Author's Note.

Personally, I didn't care much for the Omake (I really don't see any sense in them), but I didn't -hate- them, either. But, I -would- have preferred not to have seen that chapter. Then again, it's your story, it's YOU who decides what gets posted and what doesn't ... which brings me neatly to the point I'm trying to make.

IT'S YOUR STORY, YOU DECIDE WHAT'S IN IT.

I truly dislike (and honestly don't get) why you're asking for input about what to write, plot-wise. (At least, that's what I'm reading in your ANs; correct me if I'm wrong, please?) I'm not here for a "write-your-own-adventure" story; I want to immerse myself in YOUR vision - which I happen to think is pretty awesome. I honestly doubt it can be improved by committee! So, just for myself, I'd like to ask that you write YOUR story, not an amalgam of everybody else's ideas what this story should be about.
novalis chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I would like to read the author's notes, but I don't intend to always read new chapters as they appear. So I think I would rather see the author's notes at the beginning of the chapter than in a transient form that I might miss.

Thinking about it, I'm not 100% convinced that Comed-Tea is a good idea. Sure, it's very Potteresque, and undoubtedly many canonical Potter magical objects have the same causality problems. But since it is not canonical, it is, as a critique, a straw-person.
hjcallipygian chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
You know, Dumbledore really is the perfect counter for the Harry Potter of your story. He is likely just as intelligent as Harry, just as eccentric, but raised on a completely different standard of both logic and culture. I think that the effect Harry has on most people in this story, Dumbledore will have on Harry. Harry will likely also have a similar effect on Dumbledore, but after one-hundred-plus years of practicing his poker face, I imagine that Dumbledore will hide it better. It's very enjoyable to see your Harry turned on his head conversationally, by the way. Always gets a laugh out of me.

For the sake of your poor, poor, tired hands and fingers, I hope that either this story is not going to last all seven years of Harry's Hogwarts career or you'll begin to speed up the timeline soon. Otherwise, I fear that your hands will fall off sometime around second year. I would hate to read about that happening.
Gundum M chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
that chapter was okay
The Vorpal Eskimo chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
"...the legendary wandering hero Harold Shea..." I love this story very, very much, but that allusion was enough to increase my enjoyment at least fivefold. I adore the series greatly. Is he native to this universe? Do his books exist in Harry's collection?

I eagerly await the next chapter.
jojobevco chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Oh, no, Voldemort (or not?) as defense teacher, at least he seems qualified. Good Chapter
nxkris chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
great story. i love ch5 with draco and harry, and then the whole sorting hat thing, and the entire thing with harry was great, though you managed to spend an extremely long time shopping, though it was at least interesting. update soon.
ejhawman chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Ignore the impatient people who want the plot to advance every single chapter. You're doing fine.

Harry is right to worry about becoming a Dark Lord. "I will break your pathetic little remnant of the Dark Ages down to pieces smaller than its constituent atoms..." Yes, running something like the French Revolution in the magical world is going to make him look an awful lot like a Dark Lord to most of the current magical population.

Nice nods to some of the flaws in the canon text. You have an opportunity to flesh out Ravenclaw house here, and get Harry some time in pursuit of his checklist before hitting classes in earnest.

Eagerly awaiting more...
KuMardagg chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
So, if I'm getting it correctly, everything in this HP universe is 50% insane over the original?

Loving this story so far.
Jay Man1 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
If Frodo gets to be a Jedi then Sauron gets the Deathstar. So we are faced with what may be a significantly more possessed Quirrell and a Dumbledore who is more cautious of Harry's curiosity. Well I never claimed this story would be boring and I am glad you decided to deliver. Omnipotent soda aside I am glad for the quick updates and refreshing uniqueness to this story. Thank you for the chapter.
Mel72000 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Great chapter, I love it !

The Comed-Tea is it omnipotent ? Could it be the key for the victory of the light ?

I wait the next chapter impatiently and thank you !
phoebe turner chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
amazing chapter!
troyguffey chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Wow. GREAT Chapter.

This Quirrel is very interesting

I suspect Comed-Tea to actually be a hallucinogen, or similarly mind-altering. Quite possible inducing accidental magic.

I like the Ravenclaw house rule about mealtimes. Sounds like a way to stop a Revenclaw Dark Lord. Give him an interesting idea, then don't remind him to eat. Or *breathe*.

To-do 1 sounds like Harry might come to Occulemency and Legilimency early, especially if Occulemency offers the usual fanon benefits.
uo-chou chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Wow, this Hogwarts seems much more insane than the canon one! I look forward to reading more, excellent work. Just something I noticed; this story really shine during Harry's conversations with other people. Not to say that this chapter wasn't good because there were no two-way dialogs; just that you seem to be especially good at those.
Kumoatsu chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
hm... Now that is interesting, the hat would probably have that spell put into it other wise the test of salsazar would have probably been removed or remodeled over the years but on something like the hat would be considered irraplaceably so it would be kept in close to perfect condition. nice.
Meneldur chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Not much to say, and I'm hurrying, so I'll simply say two things:

Please don't have Harry abandon his plans for world domination with the comed-tea; I really want to see how it will turn out, and what Hermione's reaction will be to such an obviously impossible thing being possible, and possibly Luna's thoughts on the subject as well.

Harry planning on going to Minerva regarding the Hat's comment sounds brilliant, and I can't wait to see, the consquences, though I do hope Harry gets to learn from the Basilisk - the lost knowledge of the Founders, right in front of him! Spells in Parseltongue! Wonders Galore, etc! But wouldn't it be more appropriate to star with his head of house Flitwick, who will then go to Minerva if he does not know the answer?

Until the next chapter, Meneldur.
Renart chapter 12 . 4/8/2010

I died at that phrase

no really. Brilliant!
E.A.V chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I am really enjoying this whole story!

My favorite part of this chapter is where Harry makes resolutions to not be a Dark Lord. Harry does have a small issue with being self-centered, and it seems like he might have come to partially-realize that in chapter 11. It's fun to see the characters have actual character traits and see them changing! So, I get to say, I like your character development! I don't often get to say that in a funny story like this.

I hope that there's more coming from the same place!

Looking forward to the next chapter,

E.A.V.
Chris ShadowMoon chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Um... what the hell...? O.o Ok, this is getting interesting.
Biigoh chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Sounds like old Tommy Riddle has better control of Quirrel then in the canon timeline.
Peanuckle chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Well that was just a load of whimsy and crazy!

Definitely funny, but more of a "wait what?" kind of funny than an intellectual humor.
Leaping Lion chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Quirrell... thats all I gotta say.

School song is gonna be hell.
Entropic Specter chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
First, about the omake in chapter 11: I don't think it was terrible in itself, but getting fired up about a new chapter and seeing it's just a non-canon extra was disappointing. Having such things in a separate story, or putting it at the end of regular chapters would probably prevent this reaction.

Second, about the author notes: I hope you'll find a less transient solution for them. If not, this works too, I guess.

Finally, about the new chapter: Great read once again. This Hogwarts will be a very interesting place, methinks.
Zicou chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Lol.. and Voldemort happy to be finally teaching, lifted is curse against the dada position and became the best teacher ever and for ever :)

Great chapter!

Continue,

Z.
PiecesOfSerendipity chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Laughing hysterically here! i 3 Harry in this.

I love that I've finally found someone who has the same dilemma as me when at a restaurant. There's so much to choose and you can only pick one. I can never pick.

Update soon!
eclipseX chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
good chapter
Linnorria chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
well that was certainly surprising... I wonder just what you have in mind for Quirell? and Harry needs to remember that control experiments are just as important. He needs to know how Dumbledore/wizarding world acts without the soda as well as with it for the experiment to truly work.

Just to throw my opinion out there: I enjoyed the omake's, but feel they might be better placed either A. in their own story or B. at the end of actual chapters. Thank you!
Pink Bismuth chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Well that was an odd chapter... but entertaining nonetheless. I can see it now "Dark Lord Harry and his omnipotent tea! Obey the tea! Don't make him drink it!" lol...

On another note I personally wanted to say that I found the Omake chapter quite funny and don't really see why it would upset anyone. I mean they could have just skipped it if they truly didn't like it. To each their own I suppose. Well... Can't wait to see what happens next, especially with Quirrell. Update soon!
blue artemis chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Wow. Harry is starting to scare me here. In a fun sort of way.
Heidinanookie chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
First off, the Author's Note debate: You seem to take the criticism very much to heart. You needn't do that! I've never heard of any rule forbidding author's notes. It's your right to put into a chapter whatever you like! Also, you are one of the very few authors who actually responds to their readers and, what's more, takes their view into consideration. Don't let that be taken from you! People who don't like your story don't have to read it. It's not your fault that they don't like it and it CERTAINLY isn't your duty to make YOUR story fit THEIR demands and expectations. Also, they should simply skip the A/N if they feel offended by it. It's outrageous to think that they assume you have a kind of obligation to provide them with entertainment once you start writing a story and that you should have to ask for permission to comment on your own writing. Your story. Your notes. It's as simple as that. Everybody who's not okay with that should leave your audience immediately.

Okay, I hope I made my point clear. I, for my part, am entirely on your side and take everything you are willing to give :)

So, that was my pep-talk. On to the new chapter.

I didn't quite understand what drinking Comed-tea has to do with being (or becoming) a dark lord... Please enlighten me.

anyway, for all his intelligence, Harry seems quite stupid... I mean, he's considering becoming a Dark Lord just because of his desire for control and because it would be fun for him. Anyone with a bit of brain should know that such arrogance cannot lead to anything good.

Oh, wow. that one gave me a really good laugh: "Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. Anyone interested in reformulating the entire game of Quidditch should contact Harry Potter."

The rest of Dumbledores speech was a little mystery to me. Did he shape his words into a message that is meant solely for Harry?

Voldemort's speech was rather funny, too, considering that nobody knows who's really hiding inside Quirrel. I bet Harry figures it out soon enough... maybe not as soon as he did in the Omake files but he will. Eventually.

As always, I can't wait for the next part. Don't let your reviews get you down!

heidi
Skylar chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Not as satisfying as previous chapters, well written but boring material. I like the idea of Dumbledore being mad as a hare but I encourage you to not throw away a central tenet of your own rationalist narrative, that powers should be clearly deterministic. How is Dumbledore aware of Potter's rule changes. Don't let the magic man get too magical? Also you should advertise this on a bit more, I almost didn't find this. Also write a book already Eliezer, Jesus.
AngelForm chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Not often ‘for want of a nail’ gets lampshaded, my congratulations.

Dumbledore is very well informed. I find myself confused as to whether you are actually going the dark/manipulative!Dumbledore or if you are just screwing with us. Again.

The reality bending properties of the soda seem to be disputed in the end, he gets the surprise anyway.

Interesting take on Quirrell, multiple personality?

Sarah1281 got a long way by making Gilderoy Lockhart awesome, or at least likeable, in ‘Oh God Not Again’ so this could come out very well indeed.

By the way, only idiots claim to know how others will react to something without some proof. Equally only cowards follow unwritten rules.

Such reviews are best ignored.
quickshot0 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Hm, one concerning possibility with the drink incidentally is, is that it doesn't change the world around you. But instead changes your point of views enough, so that something will make you choke on the drink.

So for instance in this case, maybe instead of changing the history of Dumbledore and making him insane, perhaps it altered Harry's point of view on how likely an insane headmaster was, just so he'd choke. Seeing as that would be a route of lower resistance.

If so, he would most definitely want to stop drinking it, before it potentially drive him utterly mad, or stupid... or something...
SandraD chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Okay... I've been enjoying this fic since I read the freakin' summary! You've been creative and hilarious. I've bashed my head against a wall (figuratively) and laughed until I almost pissed my pants (literally). Now I can only sit here and think, "HUH?" I am quite happy to say I have absolutely no idea where you are going with this and that, in itself, is a rarity in fanfiction!

I wanted to comment on your AN... I thoroughly enjoyed the Omake and laughed the whole way through! I've noticed in my years of reading and writing fic that a lot of readers take themselves way too seriously and sometimes think authors should only write what they (the individual reader) personally feel comfortable reading. What they fail to understand and accept is that most authors are really writing for themselves. You keep doing what makes YOU comfortable! I, for one, anxiously await your continued talent!
Allen Pitt chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Harold Shea, traveling in his syllogis-mobile? Ah, the classics...and hey, couldn't leave a particular 'verse until he'd figured out the rules by which magic etc worked there. Just the person HP needs...
slr2moons chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I'm one of the masses who found your story after hearing praise for chapter 5. I've been enjoying your fic immensely. Thank you for sharing this!

About the omake chapter: I admit I was disappointed when I realized it was all omake, but that changed when you said you'd be posting the next chapter of canon tomorrow AND when the omake was so incredibly funny. I LIKED it. I would welcome a second omake chapter. I suggest you post an omake chapter with a canon chapter following immediately, with a note at the top of the omake explaining those who do not wish to partake need to skip ahead to the next chapter.

I prefer a chapter's author's notes to be located at the end of that particular chapter. That way I can avoid spoilers and it's easy to skip reading if I chose. If you are worried about someone reading any author's notes a year or more later and being confused, you can always ad the date at the end. only states the date of chapter one and the most recent chapter, any middle chapter dating must be done manually by the author within the fic. So "chapter and author's notes first posted 4-8-10" should solve any confusion, at least for your more observant readers. Most readers are used to seeing "outdated" author's notes on older chapters anyway. :D

Thanks again for the story. I look forward to the next chapter of canon AND omake!
iota0000 chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
This chapter wasn't as good as many of the previous ones, but I suppose that's to be expected as we reach the filler points between plot. Still, it was well-written and continues the trend of originality that you have thoroughly established as a characteristic of your writing.

I particularly like the waves that Harry's "uniqueness" is causing as well as the more in-depth explanations of the peculiarities of Ravenclaw house not available to the readers of canon due to differently focused perspectives (like the no thinking or questioning while eating rule, for one example). The experiment with the soda and the scheming that it led Harry on shows a delightful aspect of thought processes.

I am curious, however, about what caused the change in Quirrel's modus operandi, as from what I understand of canon, his meek and stuttering facade was one that was established prior to Harry's reintroduction to the magical world and the differences between this Harry and canon Harry ought not translate to any such differences in this Quirrel and the canon one. As such, I'm seeing this as some of the changes that are being made to your story's Voldemort and his plans in order to make him a formidable nemesis for this Harry, particularly due to the fact that Harry suspected he was balding from his brief glimpse of the back of his head, implying a lack of turban, and consequently a face grafted onto the back of his head. I've not seen any story that lacked Quirrelmort without drastic AU-style changes, so I look forward to where you go from here.

I'm just wondering about this Quirrel's involvement in Voldemort's plan now, since despite his dangerous and intense demeanor in this chapter, there have been no clues to imply that he is actually still in league with Voldemort. I think it'd be particularly refreshing to see him as an actually competent and demanding instructor, one who actually advances the students rather than the trend that was prevalent in canon, and through interpretation of your story, in this universe's recent history, if not its long-term history.

Anyway, can't wait to see more of this story.
Bobboky chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
very good
roshane chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
damn you made harry super smart...but you also made him a wimp i can't belive you made him fear voldidork and dumbledork not even in the conon did he fear him enough to call him he-who-must-not-be-named.
Orchamus chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
...omnipotent soda...wtf
Baughn chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
..what just happened?

Okay. Okay, let's take stock.

- Harry believes he's driven Dumbledore insane. However, Dumbledore did much the same thing in canon, so this is questionable. He's out of character afterwards, though, so there may be something to it.

- Quirrel is apparently not possessed, except possibly of multiple personality disorder and/or Snape. No surprise here; you nearly spelled out that voldemort wouldn't be coming. I expect to be surprised by him showing up in some other form later, mind you.

- Harold Shea existed. Wait, what? Is this the same Harold Shea? I enjoyed those books, and I'll admit it fits. I wonder if he's still out there, somewhere, and if they'll meet later - perhaps in a meta mega crossover or so?

- Dumbledore is even more omniscient than usual. At about the time he suggested people contact Harry to reformulate the entire sport of Quidditch, my mind gave up in despair.
Aealket chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Hi

I liked this chapter. It gave us a lot of Harry thoughts. Although using the tea method of godhood might be a bit more restrictive than Harry expects.

Alan
WaxWings chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Thanks for the update. I began to question Harry's Rationality when he started to fantasizing obtaining omnipotentnce through soda; he needs further experimentation at the least.

I am not quite sure what caused the difference in Dumbledores speech, and why Quirrell provided one. Quirrell's split personality would at least indicate that he is still possessed in your universe.
jesusfreak100percent chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I can remember reading some type of rule about replying to reviewers in the story, but even if it was "You must not reply to reviews at the end, middle, or beginning of any chapter", I don't really care. As long as you still upload a chapter, I can always skip anything I don't want to read. It's not like it's a hard challenge.

This chapter also made me laugh a few times, although I didn't have to look anything up. Were there reasons why you changed Dumbledore's speech, and had Quirell give one (without stutter)?

Not that I mind - it's called fanfiction for a reason, and it's not like your changes were bad. Dumbledore's, in particular, made me laugh. A lot. Especially the bit about Quidditch. The irony of Harry choking with the Comed Tea was funny.

Oh, not being British, I can't fully say this for sure (I'm Irish) but I'm pretty sure only Americans call it 'soda' or 'pop'. I'm pretty certain British call them 'fizzy drinks'.

Thanks for uploading so quickly, please write again soon!
MisterTabi chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
that little bit at the end with Volde taking over was a bit...I dunno...odd? Much? Otherwise it was an enjoyable read.
SensiblyTainted chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
All aboard the twisty word express! Who loves word snakes? You do! And you know what? I do too! (evil cackle) I think I blinked dumbly at the speeches the first go around, then I had to rewind, read again, and then laugh. Poor Harry and the Com-Tea. I'm with him on that one. It is kinda a lame way to accend, huh? hahaha.
Darchias chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
An interesting twist of the whole possessed by Voldemort concept. Bravo.
dogbertcarroll chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Harry Potter the tea drinking dark lord. I can just see that happening and really can't see how he'll avoid it, considering the way he looks at things.

Harold Shea? Man that takes me back.
Larry Huss chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Thank you, thank you, for mentioning Harold Shea. You have given me the courage to insert a little Lois Bujold boosting in a story I am writting for the few and very tolerant.

Keep on keeping Harry a child as well as a logic machine. It will continue to elevate the level of funny, a characteristic often lost in non-farce stories.

You are maintaining a good pace for plot advancement, and your chapters are good, quick reads.

Good luck, and snooth writing.

yrs. L. Huss
Banner chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
I'm pretty sure that my brain spun around in circles, then fell over. Several times.

Wonderful story - every idea is fresh and new.
Arkeus chapter 12 . 4/8/2010
Harry's fighting a losing battle.