Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Majerus chapter 121 . 7/19
Why not offer to heal his leg?
Past that, an excellent end to his arc.
LionessOfTrebond chapter 121 . 3/12
Thank you, Eliezer Yudkowsky. This is the ending he deserves.

The rest of the fic is pretty great, too. :-)
Besides it not being canon, I also don't think that this characterization fits with the canon one either. While he was loyal to those he loved, he wasn't willing to do absolutely everything to gain their love or approval. He stood up for himself and held his ground when discussing with someone he loved -Lily-, despite the fact that he wanted her approval, rather than simply agreeing with her and accepting her arguments uncritically to gain points, because he didn't think she was right. By the same token, he was willing to argue with Dumbledore, and in some ways even foil his plans, despite having essentially put his life in the man's hands. While he would have liked Lily's love, I can't really buy him wanting to *make* her love him, let alone through coercion or "any means necessary", given that he was not even willing to lie to her or appease her in order to sooth their conflict. He would have liked her love, but not "at any cost": for example, he wasn't willing to lie to her about what he thought just to avoid conflict and make things easier for himself, and that would have been much more minor than what was implied here. While he loved her, he was honest when relating to her, he didn't want to trick or persuade her into loving him, but to frankly state what was his opinion on things. The only caveat being that according to JK he actually though that joining Tom Riddle would have helped him have a better life and he could have impressed Lily -something that in hindsight appears to be completely idiotic, though as Sirius pointed out, it's not as if this was after the war, at the time people like Regulus didn't know what they were signing up for, and Voldemort didn't advertise his murderous psychopathy-.

He didn't make an exchange with Voldemort for her love, he relayed the prophecy and when he discovered he wanted to target her kid, he plead for her life and then turned to Dumbledore to inform him of the attack and take steps to keep them safe -nothing in this picture ends with Potter out of the picture and Lily at his arms, he was doing damage control and trying to keep her alive-. By the same token, his following mission as a spy and attempt to keep Harry safe from the shadows were done because he was Lily's child, and he loved her. The goal was to keep Harry safe, not to have revenge no the Dark Lord -who they didn't even know would ever return-. I guess that that was another, minor, departure from canon. I would say that I would agree with his assessment about the situation in this chapter, had the situation been that way, but that's not what the canon plotline and characterization were (and i must say that I don't really see the reason for the change, since that would have made Harry's decision more realistic and more palatable -I don't think it was an improvement in his characterization, while I think that the canon version of his character and events would make this turn of the events easier to believe-).
I think that this characterization is not canon, there was no strange exchange for Lily's love, he was sent as a spy and relied intel; when he relied the prophecy, he didn't think that the Dark Lord would chose to go after Lily's kid, and when he discovered it he went to Dumbledore to inform him of the situation, so that they could protect them. That would have been the end of it, had Pettigrew not decided to betray them, thus leading to their death. After that, he was tasked with keeping Harry safe, which he accepted to do because he loved Lily.
TheLoud chapter 121 . 3/3/2018
Thank you for letting Snape move on with his life.
KylieKyotie chapter 121 . 2/23/2018
Holy friggin' wow.
Cl0ud-0 chapter 121 . 7/7/2017
excellent work, and I hope you write more fiction soon.
Guest chapter 121 . 4/22/2017
Ha.
Jatok chapter 121 . 11/26/2016
Damn, i don't want this to end
The Anguished One chapter 121 . 9/26/2016
Snape just leaves, starting a new life? Surprising, but strangely appropriate. Harry challenged Snape's loyalty, made him rethink his idealistic view of Lily, and dealt with Voldemort without requiring the Potion Master to sacrifice himself. Wherever he ends up, I hope he finds some happiness.
greycat chapter 121 . 9/7/2016
Persidie: [ I think the whole Narcissa hiding for a decade went past me. I dont understand when and how that happened. ]

Dumbledore suppressed her memories with some sort of reversible False Memory Charm or Obliviate spell. He gave her a cover story about being in a traffic accident and some money (laundered through a muggle insurance company as compensation for the accident), and left her in Sydney, Australia under the name Nancy Manson.

Then Dumbledore told everyone that he had burned her alive.

He did this because he wanted the Death Eaters to stop targeting his friends and family. It was to appear to be vengeance for what they had done to his brother. Apparently the lie was believed.

Narcissa had been in Sydney for 10 years when McGonagall undid the False Memory/Obliviation (or whatever it was). Her son had been 1 year old at the time she was taken away, so she did not recognize the 11 or 12 year old Draco.
silver chapter 121 . 7/7/2016
concluding my post on chapter 122 that was cut off near the end, seems like a character limit.

... transfiguring something.

I think this is most of what I wanted to say, I know the post was unstructured and largely unedited, I prefer it this way so that it is a more pure reflection on how I feel, right now, having just finished the last chapter. I do feel a certain sense of regret that I don't happen to be in a situation where I'd get to know you better, but well, it is what it is. In any case,

Thank you for writing this.
Guest chapter 121 . 2/8/2016
loved it!
Guest chapter 121 . 2/5/2016
Yay. Happy for Snape.
Montara chapter 121 . 1/27/2016
I'm glad Severus is now free to do what he wants with his life. Hope he learned his lesson and will be more wise with his decisions from now on.
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 121 . 12/13/2015
Good ending for Snape. He couldn't stay as Potions master, but it's good to see that he achieved some kind of resolution
guharrington chapter 121 . 12/5/2015
Thankyou for having such a good ending for snape. you have made him seem sympathetic and human without making excuses and whitewashing
FierceDeityLinkMask chapter 121 . 9/23/2015
I love this! You must make a sequel! Please...Pretty Please... With Sprinkles on top!
Kabs chapter 121 . 7/15/2015
Very fitting.
dragoon109 chapter 121 . 6/17/2015
i dont know. lily wasnt innocent. she did allow her self to become blind by the words of her own house and believed that death eaters where evil with no evidence other than heresy, dark magic was evil, slythiren was evil, exc exc. unless as author you changed that.
PA chapter 121 . 5/25/2015
I find this acceptable.
missmawwie chapter 121 . 5/23/2015
I'm going to review 20 times yay
GingerHannah chapter 121 . 3/31/2015
Awwww! Snape's the cutest. I'll miss him.
ntalcenent chapter 121 . 3/29/2015
Despite Dumbledore's intentions he got a fitting situation - he'll sit outside time perhaps able to contemplate his actions.
GuesssWho chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
All the best to him.
YlvaThorgalsdottir chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
I am thankful that you gave Severus Snape a more dignified way to exit the story than getting his throat ripped by a venomous boa. So very thankful. Please don't change that.
badkidoh chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
Another great chapter.
Nice work with Snape.
Ferm chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
Yeah. It bugs me a lot when people say Lily was shallow for leaving him. Nice chapter. Bye bye, Snape!
jdboss1 chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
IT Hermione's time next

thnks fuck for saveing hur Less Wrong
even it she was dead was so fing long

Why has harry not ran off to Hermione She shood be at the top of his list
Mu chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
My most recent plug to friends:

My favorite thing about this very special Pi Day is that the author of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality has timed the drop of the final chapter (122) of this epic improvement of the original to drop at the moment of Pi to infinity on the left coast. Thanks to A's introduction, I read the whole thing twice. In a nutshell, the story unfolds in an alternate HP universe with the same characters with slightly or significantly different qualities. Harry is raised by loving, brilliant scientists, and is a Ravenclaw. It is MUCH darker and more challenging that the original, and also much more funny. The story arcs are epic, and play out in the universe as it is understood, not simply magical Britain. Twists within twists, truly unimaginable adventures, merciless moral challenges, and seductive modeling of particular modes of thought. It isn't Moby Dick (it is technically a fanfic), in that the writing is uneven, and it isn't entirely credible that all this is emanating from 11 year olds, but some of the writing is as good as anything I've read in recent times. Some of the variations are cosmically inspirational. I would wish that at least one person who sees this has the good fortune of probing this innovative work deeply enough to be entirely hooked. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, and am awaiting the final chapter like a girly screaming at a Beatles concert.

Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
Oh dear... I would have never guessed that Narcissa is hidden away as Nancy...
Harry laughed. Severus laughed. A fly on the wall did high-five :-) .
Thank you. Good day, good night, and good luck.
Entraya Crosshil chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
The conclusions so far sits nicely in my mind. It just feels right, like a comforting voice saying that it should naturally end now, and that it's all okay, that its nothing to be sad about
The ending of a great story is always vital, as that final touch of grace changes how you will perceive the whole deal.
gg
GrumpyGrue chapter 121 . 3/14/2015
You can't beat Less Wrong's bittersweet for a special treat.
AceMaximum chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Truthfully... i can't wait for your nxt story
s-david-m chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
A fitting end to Snape's story!
Dracomancer1 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Last chapter, eh? Man. Five years. End of an era.
Loonynamelass chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Harry laughed.
Severus laughed.
Minerva was sobbing.

ugh, I love it when you do this. It's so your style.
nekomode chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Wow, Narcissa abandoned the Malfoy front. Never saw that one coming.
"Also, try a different brand of hair shampoo." "Drop dead, Potter." *hysterical sobbing*
Mika chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Can't wait for the last chapter and am very upset that here (in India), I will get it at 9.30pm not at 9.26 pm (since I can't get it at 9.26 am). I've enjoyed the book, all in all, though I had some qualms about some parts, I've enjoyed the ride.
tsfkingsport chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Hermione's chapter last. Very appropriate. Also great way to resolve the conversation Harry and Snape had about Lily. Without this the last conversation they had about her would be lingering in the background of the story where it would have a debatable impact on the quality of this work. Everything has come together and I can't wait for the end.
Azjerban chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
I feel feelings.
Well done.
Guest chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
This is awesome. You need to do a "Ten years later..." sequel. Just as long as this story. At least a chapter of that, though.
LizzyJean chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Before reading all this new arc, I started re-reading the whole HPMOR three weeks ago and just barely managed to catch up night before last. It was really nice to take a 24 hour break and let everything sink in.

I find I"m left wondering why QQ acted the way he did - the whole zombie thing. Is that explained? Was it all just play-acting, or did Voldie have a hard time staying fully embodied in that body? I'd be happy to hear other readers' take on that.

And then, maybe I just need to read it again, but there's something hazy here about how Voldie keeps all his horcruxes in sync. We don't know how, exactly, the Resurrection Stone improved that system.

Which begs the question, will Hermione's horcrux stay current? We didn't see Voldie use the Resurrection Stone when he made that horcrux, so isn't it just a plain old point-in-time backup?
vianmeor chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
I'll just say this again, now.

This has all been an amazing ride, and I cant believe it's finally ending. In something so rational do we see people their most human. Truly, bravo.
More chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
watch?ve4w6V-PbPKM
Shadowfang chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
"No, Minerva. I will go someplace new, and take a new name, and find someone new to love."

I hope Eliezer will write this story, or at least include it in the epilogue.
Pave chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Nice kiss-off for Snape. I like Harry's sentiment, that people are imperfect and at least Snape tried to make amends, but the actual words seem awkward.
Also, we need better stage management/business why Harry just happens to be hanging with the headmistress. Okay, they like each other, but if they're not actively working on the same thing, I think they tend to drive each other crazy. He needs a specific reason for cooling his heels in her office, or he's somewhere else, even if he's mugwump, etc.
santamonica811 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Proof that a short chapter can be full of information, humor, heart, and so much more. This was actually one of my favorite chapters out of the most recent 50 or so. Very very nicely done.
Niqi chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Once again, all I have to say is thank you. This is beautiful.
Supertemporal Virtue chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
From Chapter 7:

"'I wonder how difficult it would be to just make a list of all the top blood purists and kill them.'

They'd tried that exactly during the French Revolution, more or less - make a list of all the enemies of Progress and remove everything above the neck - and it hadn't worked out well from what Harry recalled."

You, dear author, can foreshadow like history itself, WITH history itself.

Thank YOU for spending five (or potentially more) years of your precious lifetime creating this - for lack of more suitable words - incredible masterpiece. Perhaps a better term would be "investing" five years, since your legacy of intellect and innovation, rhetoric and reason, will live in the hearts (or rather, their minds, or maybe both) of your readers who have been irreversibly affected in some way, be it slight or significant, by this work and the infinitesimal but realized possibility that we would discover it. Like the presumed majority of readers, I started this work knowing fairly little about the methods of rationality, and here on the penultimate chapter I can honestly state that my view of the observable world has been cast in a somewhat different light. The original inventors of any idea or item should, of course, be received with due credit, but someone who can take that idea/item and spread its influence to others, especially through a story as entertaining and intriguing as yours, should receive proper kudos too.

I bid you good luck (if you believe in it, and still if you don't) in producing an anime/movie (both of which I'd love to see) and in becoming an angel investor. May we always be able to choose the option that is Less Wrong!

P.S.: 3/14/15 at 9 will be a memorable Pi Day indeed :)
Verdantia Akalixi chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
This characterization of Severus is just...perfect. It is accounting for his personality and motivations while still portraying him as...human, in the end, not malicious or malevolent or immoral, but a human trying to live, one that is capable of caring and loving like any other. This chapter is so final for his character, but it's also so right. Thank you.
themechanicalalchemist1 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
That was hamazing.

Thank you Eliezier Yudkowsky for a "great adventure." If not the next.
Guest chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Never did like Snape much...
hemerocallis chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
I have greatly enjoyed this story, but I'm 67. I think the story fails as a Harry Potter AU, because the actions and thoughts just aren't believable for eleven-year olds, even with the back story provided.

One of the beauties of the canon J.P. Rowling series is that the writing, characters, plots, general complexity, and darkness of the psychological tone increased from book to book as the characters aged a year. Thus, an eleven-year old could very appropriately read the story of first level Harry, while seventh-level Harry was fully understandable and appropriate for a seventeen-year old.

This story of first levels simply is not at the level of an eleven year old, making many of the thoughts and actions ascribed to the characters unrealistic for those so young. It's not just Harry, from Hermione to Draco and even others, these characters are not eleven- and twelve-year olds. Nor is the complexity, plot, rational thinking concepts, and general darkness appropriate for an eleven-year old.

Too much happened in less than one year. If the same plot arc, admittedly requiring more chapters and words, were spread over several years of action, the characterization and plot could be both more believable and better developed.

J.K. certainly had a philosophy and the canon presented it. Perfectly fair for author to do the same, but he lays it on a tad thick and very rushed.
Iryelb chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
I did not expect Snape's parting to be quite that heavy, bravo.
thepkrmgc chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
its good to see snape on the road to forgiveness
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Oh god its almost here...
Persidie chapter 121 . 3/13/2015

also i like how the destruction of the world is coming about. its really special
Leky chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Snape deserved this... thank you
Kira chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
The words "last chapter" are as death to my ears...
We will miss you! Make a new fanfiction!
Arekanderu chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Aww this was really nice
Anon chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Man, that was beautiful.

You wrote an awesome story. Thank you for that.

I learned more from that than I ever did from the actual Harry Potter books.
Abdullahsaurus chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Ooh
Krazyfanfiction1 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
last chapter? ;(

well... it was a good run while it lasted...
i can't wait to see what you come up with later
Siggimondo chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Despite the man's many flaws, I will once again miss Severus Snape.
Guest chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
might one hope for another story, as this one crescendoes to it's finale?
(something to look forward to at least..)
Blazen chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
So, who is next in the line? Filch? Trelawny? Anyone other than Hermione, I guess.

I guess Voldie seriously messed up Severus' mind, if he is so pleasant and remorseful.

And if everyone continues to forget that Harry is a child, he will soon forget it himself.
Riniko22 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
I would love to see a list of the Prophecies that Dumbledore read and odd things that he did to close them off, like what did he read that made him kill Harry's pet rock. I had a pet rock once, poor thing starved to death by the time I noticed it was but a pebble of its former self.
guitarlover56784 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
The last chapter?!
specter626 chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Ah, a good end for Snape, nicely done.
Guest chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
*curls up and quietly cries in a corner* damn human compassion for overgrown bats...
graynavarre chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
But, but, how was Narcissa's memory messed with? Did Dumbledore do that the mess with Lucius?

I am glad that Severus got away but I want to know more about the Malfoys.
Ben chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Touching. I do enjoy when a story can close Snape in the light that he deserves. Poor soul.
Chloe.at.Eleusis chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Snape and McGonagall are and always have been my favorite characters in the HP universe, and this chapter warmed my heart. Of course your HJPEV would be able to see that a broken servant's just deserts would at the least include a surcease of pain and bitterness; of course that servant's friend and colleague would be heartbroken at losing him, knowing all the while that it was necessary; and of course HJPEV's creator would know that death is not the only way to achieve a peaceful, well-deserved rest. Much thanks, for this as for the rest of your tale.
An UnConcerned Citizen chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Ending it on 3.14.15 at 9 eh? Clever.
Voeful chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Poor severus. He deserved better. At least it seems he will be well. At least until the end of the world, that is. Oh right, this was supposed to be review. Good! Illuminant. And so on.
Lendary chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Daaaaaaw. Though the revelation on what he sold the prophecy for is disturbing. That was NOT how it went in canon, and I highly doubt canon Snape would have ever done anything like it. I'd leave that part out.
Passerby chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
To be honest, I'm crying just as hard as McGonagall right now.
Jonathan chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
That last chapter needs to be a Doozy.
Guest chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
"the last chapter will post..."

I hope you mean the last chapter of Harry's first year. I hope there will be more.
Eli Bar-Yahalom chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
But who is Mr. Hat and Cloak?!
Tim Edgar chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
My I recommend Dr. Bronner's Shampoo?
Emma Emerson chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Severus Snape was always one of my Favorite Characters.

All good thing has to come to an end.. I will miss this story; but I'll get to read it again and again... and have.. already; and each time it fresh and even more intriguing/interesting..

Nonetheless.. tomorrow is the last Chapter... :((((.. and even with my Buddhist practice of impermanence.. will miss not seeing new chapters..

emma e. emerson/nyc
Anonymous chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Surely not the LAST that was ever heard of Snape, considering all wizard will be immortal in short order?
OishiK chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
By Grabthar's hammer ...
Darkness of Heaven chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
There are – so many of these to be done, so many people affected, so many consequences that inevitably will only happen offscreen. So many people to protect.

Perhaps chapter 122 will be Something to Protect: People.

(Not just Humanity; even aside from the goblins and elves and centaurs and merfolk and giants and so forth, there must be aliens, somewhere, and what are light-years to a civilization with Time-Turners? Though perhaps that, too, will remain offscreen. A matter for double fanfic, maybe.)

Thank you, Eliezer Yudkowsky, for bringing us this far. It's been a wild ride.
Mu chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
One fine step after another.
The Wayland Smith chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
All the ends are being wrapped up very neatly, which is admittedly somewhat surprising. I must confess to a certain degree of anticipation for the last chapter. A reunion between Harry and Hermione presumably, or maybe simply an epilogue in the long future. The completeness of this victory is leaving a rather odd taste in my mouth though, not one I'm entirely comfortable with, it is a little too perfect. People are sad, but even Dumbledore would probably be content with the result.
powerhacker chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
Darn it Hermine time soon please!
Proponent of EVO chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
I'm not ready for this to be over.
TOOWC chapter 121 . 3/13/2015
It doesn't help that I was listening to Shane Koyczan before this.
Beautiful chapter.