Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ack1308 chapter 14 . 4/6
So, Harry Potter gets his hands on a time machine, given to him to solve his sleep disorder.

And promptly pranks himself.

Because, of course, that's what you do in a situation like that.
WildRosa13474 chapter 14 . 3/15
Poor Harry
SnuggleKitten69 chapter 14 . 3/11
Am still lost but I think I see the beginnings of an inkling of light.

Why am I standing in the middle of railroad tracks?
myafroatemydog chapter 14 . 3/7
Excellent chapter
Darrk Rabbit chapter 14 . 3/5
You have thoroughly confused the absolute frik out of me and I have been confused for the past 30 minutes at simply everything. I love this, the fact that you can do that. :)
G Fawkes chapter 14 . 1/26
I think I read- not quite this far, last time... the first time I must have attemted it, and I didn'tmake it THIS far. At 52 now, my tolerance for the 'pranking' crap that happens in these fics is, well, non-existant.
Tell the story- get into some trouble, fly brooms, save innocents, kill beasties, whatever, but please, get on with it. And omakes are fun- AFTER the fic is over. Like an epilogue. Not in the first day of school. Here we are, mid afternoon of the first day of school, and WE haven't seen Harry in class yet, because he's been playing this GAME, with a GD time turner!
ivyriry chapter 14 . 1/1
Mmm quien habrá tenido la capa de invisibilidad... Lo único que se me ocurre es que debe ser alguien que estudio con James si sabe lo que hacía y nunca lo dijo.
Alok Pandey chapter 14 . 12/18/2016
Dear Author,

When Harry woke up in the morning and found his first note, he kept it with him. Later, when he went back in time, he didn't have to write it again. He simply could have taken out the note from his pocket and put it there for his past self to read. But, then the note was never written. Isn't it a paradox?
Anon chapter 14 . 12/5/2016
No idea why you're removing some things like the santa bit, the bizzareness and light comedy were part of the heart of the story that made the experience so enjoyable
Jatok chapter 14 . 11/13/2016
Bah, wrong is a word for individuals with weak wills
Daziy is SoniQ chapter 14 . 10/23/2016
Did you ever actually explain who was it who had The Invisibility Cloak in your story? I can't think of anyone with the sufficient knowledge and position, and who is trusted enough by James to borrow the cloak and still has access to give it to Harry at the same time
Guest chapter 14 . 10/2/2016
I got to chapter fourteen and my mind is gone! Poof! Disappeared!
Rambling Drabble chapter 14 . 9/21/2016
I'm still uncertain about that note w/ the invisibility cloak. I'm pretty sure it's Dumbledore's handiwork, but I'm not certain; I never read the original books, so maybe there's a hint or the answer there. But, Dumbledore deliberately making Harry suspicious of him sounds like something he'd do, and I don't see anyone else who could've given it to Harry, so... yeah.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 14 . 9/15/2016
This was a very interesting solution.
sunset oasis chapter 14 . 9/2/2016
I'm ... mind-blown. This chapter is interesting and fascinating and full of surprises ... and I'm still in a state of shock. And highly addicted to this story ...
Jim White chapter 14 . 7/21/2016
Very clever.
Guest chapter 14 . 7/4/2016
Third time i'm trying to get into this fic but I just can't. It feels sad because pieces of it are just downright hilarious, but the rest is quite tedious and I have to force myself to keep up...
It lacks some semblance or plotline here and there to keep you hooked, instead of just anecdotes.

Also, it would probably be better if scientist Harry didn't care for the moral consequences of his future actions and discoveries.
Happy chapter 14 . 5/23/2016
Dang it, I have to go live my life, but I NEED to keep reading!
TheLittleRoguex chapter 14 . 5/15/2016
Hehe fantastic
gi-freakazoid chapter 14 . 5/2/2016
Whoa. I was not expecting that.
Guest chapter 14 . 3/10/2016
Omy i didn't even consider the time turner jeez. I wonder why I've been putting this story off for so long...
Ramrikai chapter 14 . 2/14/2016
Or... that could also explain the comed-tea. Much more interesting as well, if also much more brain-bending. Non-multiverse time travel gives me a headache.
Guest chapter 14 . 1/29/2016
I totally guessed by the end of the previous chapter that it was his own game and involved a time-turner. The cure for his sleep disorder escaped me but is quite obvious in retrospect.
Nix-LokiFan chapter 14 . 1/21/2016
I fucking hate this i hate it ihate it ihatieihateitIhfdbujo nug jhvvgf. I v ug vh v uhg vihgvihgtydcf ressfdf vhcy
..vy
Montara chapter 14 . 1/21/2016
Wow, he was pranking himself! :))

But...he realized that something is wrong with him...must be terrifying, especially for someone so young, no matter how smart he is.
berkeleyjake chapter 14 . 12/13/2015
One of the most interesting things in this chapter is the realization of how Comed Tea works. Now it's not so much that that you can create a drink that lets you know when surprising or humorous moments are going to happen, but that you can create a drink that lets you know when a specific type of moment will happen.

Due to this, you could create say a keychain of random objects that will give you the impulse to interact with them given specific situations. Such situations that would be helpful would be:
Moments of betrayal
Live/Death situations
Epiphanies
Romantic Interludes
Grissina chapter 14 . 12/11/2015
at this rate harry will solve all the misteries of the seven curses in one or less! and voldemort is not even back in a corporeal form yet!
I wonder how are you planning the whole sirius scabbers thing if scabbers is dead and if everything goes this fast. you wont leave sirius in azkaban fotever will you? though maybe harrys second and definitive victory will be enough encouragement to get out. and he wont die and neither will lupin, though he wont have motive to meet tonks...
and I'm looking forward to the changing draco's mind plan!
having so much fun! thanks!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 14 . 12/6/2015
Poor Harry, having to confront the idea that all the laws of physics are broken for the second time in about a month. Though I think some of the fundamental laws don't actually rule out time progressing backwards, so maybe things aren't as bad as he thinks. (My Quantum 2 class didn't really discuss it)

This chapter is awesome, it explains everything in the prior chapter and leads an important realization for Harry.
The Anguished One chapter 14 . 11/29/2015
A rationalist Harry with the Invisibility Cloak and the Time-Turner... Voldemort might as well quit now. That aside, I wonder how this'll change the events of the second book.
iTaleTeller chapter 14 . 11/11/2015
When I first started reading this fic I'd assumed the only stuff altered would be the stuff that happens in the books. Maybe Petunia talking about how Lily changed her body should have clued me in, but what I'm trying to say is, if James didn't leave Dummbledore the cloak... then to whom, and why, and why the change?
ShadowLDrago chapter 14 . 10/14/2015
This made my head hurt.
httpkirby chapter 14 . 10/12/2015
what the fuuuuuuuu
Good chapter 14 . 10/2/2015
I like it.
P. P. P chapter 14 . 9/12/2015
lol, he pranked himself! And he sees that there's something off about himself.
Liusa-The-Wandering-Maniac chapter 14 . 9/8/2015
You would not believe how hard I laughed at this chapter and the last. OF COURSE he had to take advantage of the opportunity to troll himself with the Time-Turner. Just perfect...and it even led to a bit of personal development when he saw Angry Harry from the outside. You're amazing...
Zyxis chapter 14 . 8/12/2015
I'm enjoying this more and more as it goes on. I keep getting incredibly confused and I love it. XD It makes me want to understand everything even more.
8734287934379342879erw87952587 chapter 14 . 7/13/2015
oh wow

- Manny (You can find me on tumblr at asexualtomriddle.)
Angelfirenze chapter 14 . 7/3/2015
This is so weirdly enjoyable. *meanders along, feeling like Luna*
hakon2feb chapter 14 . 6/28/2015
Hi.
Ok, so time turner it is... Nice way to get away with almost everything. I mean, 4 free hours each day that you can do whatever you wish with? Sounds pretty neat to me, so long as the universe isn't shattered beyond repair :p
Although i probably would have eaten one of the pies if i had to go back in time to prank myself... Come to think about it, does the hunger follow you as you go back in time? My guess is that it does, so why didn't Harry just eat the pie instead of throwing it?
Keep up the good work :)

hakon2feb.
fantumn chapter 14 . 6/5/2015
I'm having mind-gasms reading this, and feeling dumber and dumber as it goes on, but why would they have dessert at breakfast? I have eaten pie many times for breakfast, but having it presented as a dessert seems odd to me. Although I did, up until this chapter, think that the soda's name was Corned-tea. Only when it was capitalized did I face-palm.
PA chapter 14 . 5/16/2015
Retrospect is a bit of a bugger isn't it? / Poor Harry.
LeEspionage chapter 14 . 4/12/2015
I love how you are SO fixated on the science behind magical tea. It gives me a feeling of "Okay, we're still in the same story" when everything else seem to cease making sense to me. Thank you.
Misa
Erasels chapter 14 . 4/11/2015
Oh god, I hope you don't proceed with this time travel. I'm barely able to follow when what happens.
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
Concolor44 chapter 14 . 3/26/2015
IN ... FREAKING ... CREDIBLE.

HOW are you DOING this?!

WHY are you not PUBLISHED?!
oliver chapter 14 . 3/22/2015
This is when I knew I was in love with this fiction. This might be the best thing I have read all year. 3 thank you so much for producing something this amazing
Village-Mystic chapter 14 . 3/21/2015
Well, in the long run, I'm glad he got breakfast and to his class. I wasn't expecting the time turner for his sleeping problem, but I was glad that his sense of self-consciousness lead him to do the right things.
hisnhers chapter 14 . 3/15/2015
I have contacted my lawyers and they said I can't sue over continuous giggling, choking, snorting or howling laughter. They did, however, say that perhaps I might have a chance due to grievous bodily harm since my abdomen is quite sore as a result of the afore mentioned acts... I'll keep you posted.

Harry's reaction to the time-turner was priceless. Poor McGonagall... lol!

-his
4everfictional chapter 14 . 3/13/2015
Called it. XD
mab70 chapter 14 . 3/12/2015
I'm sure your way was better, but I don't get why a Ravenclaw Harry wouldn't want to spend the extra time just studying, instead of setting up an elaborate prank against himself.
nekomode chapter 14 . 3/11/2015
Spontaneous Duplication. The work of a competent Slytherin. If I and my future self meet. Oh god, why was I so blind before?
kizrock94 chapter 14 . 2/25/2015
I actually got smarter reading your fic...and more confused too
Keep up the good work
mutecebu chapter 14 . 2/25/2015
"trap the whole castle of Hogwarts in an endlessly repeating loop of Thursdays"

I first read HPMOR years ago, but only recently read "Getting the hang of thursdays". Bonus joke! Awesome!
Joe chapter 14 . 2/14/2015
Neville just whines too much.
ravenwyrd chapter 14 . 1/27/2015
I'm enjoying this so far, but I think my opinion on Time-Turner safety is worth mentioning:

Perhaps you are stretching things a little far in your efforts to make everyone around Harry more than a little stupid. I will grant you that the parochial nature of wizarding culture in Brittan reaches a pre-Enlightenment level, most wizards are actively unquestioning, and the whole society is very ignorant overall (poor Harry has his work cut out for him); but the explanation that everyone is just plain stupid seems a bit to excessive as a means of explaining the delicate nature of Time-Turners. Is it really that plausible that NO ONE at any point thought to use any kind of protection spells on Time-Turners? A type of magical item as powerful, useful, and potentially dangerous as a Time-Turner would likely be under intensive study by the best specialists in the world, period. Especially before being available for practical, untrained use. ESPECIALLY before being deemed safe for untrained 11-year-olds.

It's not completely impossible that the first remotely intelligent person to encounter the knowledge of the existence of Time-Turners happened to be Harry, just highly improbable. I'd imagine that safety in magical research would be taken at least almost as seriously as in scientific research. A certain amount of arrogance might go along with the ability to cast personal shielding spells, but there are plenty of instances where that wasn't enough protection when tinkering with volatile magic (let alone damage to expensive research labs), and I'd imagine the Department of Mysteries would initiate safety training when Scourgify-ing the remains of former employees off of the walls lost its comedic value. Safety is unlikely to be disregarded when dealing with dangerous magic.

On the other hand, magic can occasionally be finicky about the requirements for it to work properly. Some of the instructions on how to stir potions while brewing seem arbitrary and specific, for example, given how imprecise the equipment for heating and measuring are. And yet, the end result frequently depends on the precise execution of the procedure.

Isn't it a more simple answer that the various types of protection that might have been previously considered (magical or mundane) might interfere with the magic that makes the Time-Turner tick? (Sorry for the pun, I'll kick myself later.) Using special gloves to make a Snitch is of a similar concept (if incredibly unsophisticated in comparison) to using a clean room to prevent contamination of samples in some scientific studies (and occasionally for the production of the fruits of such labor, as well). After all, you did specify limitations to what a Time-Turner can do, and who's to say that they are merely safety measures rather than an intrinsic limitation to the magic (especially if safety is not a consideration of the makers).

It does get more complicated if you go into specifics along the lines of why protective magic or built-in physical barriers might interfere with the magic involved in the Time-Turner (perhaps Arithmancy in regards to a mundane physical barrier, given how it would effect the geometry of the physical construct, and gods only know with the actual magical spells involved.) That doesn't change the fact that magic contamination or incompatibility is a much simpler and more elegant explanation than the idea that everyone is really, dangerously, unforgivably stupid.

All of that being said, if you specifically focus on Rowling's descriptions of the magical world and it's denizens rather than the frequency of common sense and practicality present in the average population of humans, then your explanation is probably the more likely one.
TheButterflyComposer chapter 14 . 12/24/2014
Hmm...alright, so there's someone else at work at Hogwarts.
Not Aberforth, because the message said 'Dumbledore', although that could be him covering his arse.
Could be Lupin or Sirius from the future (or Harry, I suppose) but I guess not for the limitations put in for the time turner.
The only other people I can think of who could have known James Potter would be Snape and McGonagal...neither of them would give this away.
This means it's either a minor character I haven't thought of, an OC or a main character acting out of canon character.
Nice trick with the ComedTea but there's still the probablem of the tea knowing every comedic event that is going to happen around the character and can specifically pick one that the drinker will find funny.
How the hell does it do that?
Tarvok chapter 14 . 12/10/2014
I clapped. I literally, physically clapped at the part where Harry, shall we say, mentally remarked on the reason for giving him the time turner.
IV Legacy of Poseidon chapter 14 . 12/7/2014
I wonder
humanoidpatronus chapter 14 . 12/6/2014
Nice loop of time
camilaus chapter 14 . 11/30/2014
its the scar
Gridlock chapter 14 . 11/21/2014
Chapter 14 - The previous owner of the Invisibility Cloak (Part 2)

As a matter of deduction in terms of motivation, opportunity, writing to match a character voice, and the claims of ignorance per other characters, our list grows smaller and smaller by the moment (as does the number of characters that would willingly or unwillingly surrender then gift an Invisibility Cloak to Harry Potter while writing notes). With HPMOR, the mysteries are not given out in George Lucas levels of ham-handed blatant bludgeoning (for children) naming like "Sinister Snake" and "Always Dumb Old Bore".

(WHOM HAS ACCESS TO THE RAVENCLAW DORMS?) - The Headmaster, the Hogwarts Teachers, the House Elves (eliminated by logical deduction "Freedom when given clothes" results in Invisibility Cloak Clothes), the Ravenclaw students, the pets of the students (not noted for their writing skills except for the Animagus rat - Peter Pettigrew - whom is no longer in this story), the Patronous Charm creatures, the Phoenix, Sirius Black (not escaped prison yet), the House Ghosts, and members of "The Order of the Phoenix". Also the Ministry of Magic, obviously, but only reluctantly.

Argus Filch is an excellent choice for the keeper of the Invisibility Cloak until it was returned to Harry Potter's hands. However, he has not much in the way of compassion for any student much less Harry Potter. His speaking voice does not match the notes by much, but he could be a far better writer & schemer than he appears.

Minerva McGonagall remains a secondary lesser choice of Invisibility Cloak keeper. However, the mystery notes do note share "her voice" except by a tiny bit. She has pretend concern for the students, but she drifts unenergetically through her intensely bored job life. Her "concern" is a functional mask to conceal her unceasing transparent levels of disinterest.

Dumbledore is optional, but since he plays the "Set as many brushfires of confusion against evil as tactically possible" planner game, he could willingly sacrifice a Power Object of Bishop Status in Chess to give to Harry Potter so his actions would kill off a bunch of Rooks and the Queen.

Future Harry Potter could logically write these mystery notes, but the problem is that he doesn't blab accidentally from his "already knows that" temporally advanced perspective. Also current day Harry Potter also knows of the existence of Future More-Experienced Harry Potter, and would be anticipating himself to be the creator of the mystery notes.

Hermione Granger (using another Time Turner) could also leave the Mystery Notes. She is smart and in the General's War, has proven herself a bit of schemer when she needs to be despite being rather thick-headed on the uptake of how other people will act.

Knocking down the final distractions.
Sirius Black - In Wizard Prison and has not escaped at all.
The Pets (and Phoenix) are just a delivery boys and not note-writers, so they are just the wrapping on the mystery source.
The Ministry of Magic leaves only one logical source that would be familiar to Harry Potter from the canon series books and not the HPMOR (getting bigger every day) book. Someone from the Weasley Family (the dad who works for the Ministry), but not Ron Weasley in this HPMOR story. But that also would probably be a red herring unless we consider George & Fred Weasley (whom can be eliminated by the presence & wording of the second mystery note).
Students can mostly be eliminated by their lack of "Genre Awareness" except for one student, Neville Longbottom. His speaking voice is one of confusion, fleeting momentary joy, and distress. Which makes the mystery notes "out of character" for Neville Longbottom.
The House Ghosts tend to not enter the House Dorms for any reason in both the HPMOR book (pretty much avoiding all ghosts except for cursory mentions in this HPMOR tale) and the canon Harry Potter Universe.
Gridlock chapter 14 . 11/20/2014
Chapter 14: Who gave Harry Potter back the invisibility cloak?
"Unlike lesser cloaks and spells it has the power to keep you hidden, not just invisible, though you would still be well advised to learn the Quietus Charm. Your father lent it to me to study shortly before he died, and I confess that I have received much good use of it over the years.
In the future I shall have to get along with Disillusionment, I fear."

"No doubt you are already thinking of all manner of wonderful pranks, as your father committed in his day. If his full misdeeds were known, every woman in Gryffindor would gather to desecrate his grave. I shall not try to stop history from repeating, but be most careful not to reveal yourself. If Dumbledore realized that you possessed one of the Deathly Hallows he would certainly never allow it out of his grasp."
Claim in note declares that Dumbledore would not part with it, so it implies that Dumbledore was not the previous caretaker of it.
Theory: The Invisibility Cloak was made from Thestral skin (logical problem is that anyone whom has "Seen DEATH" could logically see the invisible person). The other possibility is that the existing enchantment to conceal Thestrals was altered so that, like the Fidelius Charm (A dwelling whose location has been protected by this spell is then invisible, intangible, unplottable and soundproof) the Thestral skin cloak becomes "the dwelling" which hides the user.

However, let us get back to the choices of gift giver.

Dumbledore: "Implied previous caretaker of the Invisibility Cloak" in the canon Harry Potter Universe (in the canon HP Universe, Dumbledore borrowed from James Potter, given back ten years later to his child Harry Potter). Claimed not to be previous caretaker in this HPMOR story.

Hagrid: Could own the cloak, but is far too large to use it on himself, but he could use it on magical creatures he smuggles onto Hogwart's grounds. Least probable suspect unless his penmanship and spelling have vastly improved versus the canon Harry Potter Universe.

Minerva McGonagall: Per this version of the Harry Potter Universe, the most logical suspect (despite her giving him a master power object earlier as a Time Turner). Hinted strongly per the higher-quality grammar of the note and the line "If his full misdeeds were known, every woman in Gryffindor would gather to desecrate his grave." As you should read the note while mentally hearing each actor & actress that played these characters speaking the lines.

Snape: Also a high probability choice. Double-Agent Spy for Dumbledore which would give him the perfect tool for eavesdropping, espionage, creating surprise traps for enemies, and planting false evidence to confound & destroy enemy alliances. The only negative probability is that usually Snape is required by character to wittily insult Harry Potter at every opportunity in the presence of Slytherin students (but would not be required to do so in an anonymous note).

Professor Sprout: A wildcard character as she appears to have no direct alliances to the "Hogwarts Teacher Conspiracy" against the Death Eaters.

Professor Quirrell: (in the canon HP Universe, obviously not a suspect at all) "Of Professor Quirrell I know little. He is a Slytherin and a Defense Professor, and that is two marks against him. Consider carefully any advice he gives you, and tell him nothing you do not wish known." Which in this story's universe is also a strike against Professor Quirrell or a cheap ploy to throw off the trail.

Harry Potter himself: (time traveling either as a younger man or older man) Which begs the question of why he would not drop more hints which are obvious in retrospect (time traveler's weakness). It also creates a "causality flaw", but in this story's universe, not so much of a problem.

Of which remains a logical mystery in some ways.
Remember the basic character motivations as well as the character voices though when reviewing the mystery notes.
As an example Malfoy's are plotters & backstabbing schemers and only give up lesser amounts of power for greater amounts of power in the long game. The father speaks as if he mentally chews the words up prior to releasing them. The son is often thoughtless of the immediate future, but has been trained to turn a situation into his tactical advantage. The Invisibility Cloak would not come from their family to Harry Potter's hands.

Now take each notable character (not the background characters) and run them through the list of voice patterns and the motivations for keeping or returning the cloak. Also consider that you can write in fraudulent patterns to deceive an audience using a "false character voice" as is done in most competent stories, so you could assume the note leaver and cloak giver are adept at deception and telling engaging stories by logical deduction as well.

Finally, the practical matter. Which of the notable (seen in movies or mentioned quite a bit in the canon books) Harry Potter characters have access to the Ravenclaw dorm rooms at night and are allowed at all upon the grounds of Hogwarts? That creates a much smaller character list to proceed with.

For example, Sirius Black gained entrance to Hogwarts, can write a good note and has the skills of deception. However, that character also has an air of impending urgency and fear. As does a lesser character, we ignore him, but he confiscates objects from students as well, Argus Filch.
Argus Filch would have no reason to surrender power to anyone, much less a student unless he was provoked with no choice otherwise. An Invisibility Cloak would indeed serve a Hogwarts custodian very well for his every legitimate and self-pleasuring need. However, until Harry Potter Book 3, Sirius Black remained in prison and unescaped (of which an Invisibility Cloak would help with fleeing from being recaptured). So he might have the motivation, the logical choice of secondary ownership, as well as the character need, but only Argus Filch would have the necessary opportunity.
High Daemon chapter 14 . 11/17/2014
if you changed the names somehow came up with all the other harry potter concepts that you use in this story it would be a hit sold everywhere in which I would waste away reading it again and again. amazing
N. E. Person chapter 14 . 11/9/2014
Wow. Try not to explode the world, Harry. :)
Dreamsteel chapter 14 . 10/26/2014
I keep on reading this story and I keep on asking myself: Just how many IQ points does the author have...? It's sure to soar above any number of points Harry can score in his Game.
MeiPhantomhive chapter 14 . 9/18/2014
You think?!
NabikiB chapter 14 . 9/13/2014
Harry...just ask the Doctor.
Sue Clover chapter 14 . 9/3/2014
At this point I'd like to point out that I knew from the beginning that Harry was the Game Controller. I just didn't mention it in my review of the previous chapter because I was so confused by the rest of it.
Isn't Dumbledore being suspiciously informative this year? And why did he refer to himself in his own note? Is this all because Harry was put in Ravenclaw? Did Dumbledore not think he could handle that much information in the reality where he was a Griffindor, but he does in this one?
By the way, I love this prank. It is the best prank that ever lived before it was conceived of. It is the best game that was never played. And I don't know any other ways to say how awesome it was.
Lacemaker chapter 14 . 8/31/2014
I hope you don't mind I read the chapters in reverse order, i.e. I read this chapter first then went back. I'm afraid my cognitive abilities are not up for serious puzzle-solving at roughly 4:30 in the morning.
Anastasoula chapter 14 . 8/19/2014
I CALLED IT. Though the Comed Tea idea was interesting.
Talkingbirdguy chapter 14 . 8/11/2014
O so very incredibly wrong. There is so much wrong with Mr Potter I doubt the universe has enough time left in it to figure out what happened with you.
thepkrmgc chapter 14 . 7/30/2014
yay for time travel antics! it flabbergasts me how the wisarding world has time travel and uses it to take two classess at once instead of, you know: cashing in at the stock market
Foxy-Floof chapter 14 . 7/3/2014
MindBlown.
Jesper chapter 14 . 7/2/2014
Nice riddle! I might have solved it if it were not for the fact that I spent so much time considering your eventual use of a Time Turner before i started reading this fanfic :D
Anthony Cerbic chapter 14 . 6/24/2014
I understand, how this Time-turning principles and self-consistent time travel may be shocking and revealing to many, but as an veteran Homestuck reader, I am not very impressed, just saying. Guessed it beforehand about the Comed-Tea too. :D Homestuck's plot mind-fucks are MUCH denser.
Guest chapter 14 . 6/16/2014
My uh brain? im so confused
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 14 . 6/15/2014
Harry with a time Turner. Definitely not good.
IMPR0VE chapter 14 . 4/23/2014
Ah... that's what I just read. Anyone who hasn't read this yet probably think i'm a little insane. :D
Ibbonray chapter 14 . 4/17/2014
You are... absolutely... brilliant! (I apologize if I use that word much too often.) Your use of the Time Turner to pull the prank on Harry, as well as the entire basis behind Comed Tea, was simply ingenious. I can't help but love this and how thought out it is.
Arabella Lee Smith chapter 14 . 4/8/2014
Great Chapter! Thank you so much for this wonderful story.
Blue Blossoms chapter 14 . 4/8/2014
there are 24 hours in a day!
Tianhuayoucao chapter 14 . 3/16/2014
I wonder what would happen if you stocked up Comed-Tea and put yourself on a rigorous schedule to drink it every hour, on the hour, and resist the urge at all other times?
Wolf vs Bunny chapter 14 . 2/15/2014
cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!
Oh lord chapter 14 . 2/7/2014
Wow
That's just beautiful
All of this: temporal mechanics and the prank and his moral/emotional struggle
Vampires2rocks chapter 14 . 2/6/2014
...

(yeah...that little '...' was my review)

Vamp
DarkPirateKing69 chapter 14 . 1/28/2014
okay, seriously.. this isn't something to read when sleep deprived.
Grizzmon chapter 14 . 1/13/2014
Yes there is something wrong with Harry Potter, but there is also something right.
Makokam chapter 14 . 1/7/2014
Well, not that i can prove it, but I knew it was Harry that was doing this. It was the only thing that made any sort of sense.
And yet, I did not predict a time turner. no i did not.

I like the final scene here though. I like it very much.
Rachel.teetsgma chapter 14 . 1/6/2014
Reading this story for the first time and I find it excellent an highly enjoyable. I do wonder after reading this chapter, how could Harry not even Consider testing if he could somehow refuse to go back in time to see how events would play out if he didn't. I was almost certain he would play around with the idea of exploding time by not using the time turner as he knew he 'would'. Perhaps I am still only just getting to know him. Thank you for your time, thoughts, and the care you've put into this story!
Ickle Firstie chapter 14 . 1/4/2014
I kinda figured out the Comed-Tea beforehand, and may I say, your ideas are impressive.
doubledamn chapter 14 . 12/28/2013
G.N.I.C.C?
Seedy-acc chapter 14 . 12/2/2013
The chapters until these past 2-3 were understandable...but now it's getting a little too intense and absolutely confusing for me to continue reading at all...
It's almost like there no story, only thoughts...of a prodigy.
XxTigerlilyxX chapter 14 . 11/8/2013
Wow thid chapter was fabulous! Don't bother about replying in PM to my theories since I've already gotten them vertified. Ahh...I really love this chapter. You know, I thought the sorting hat chapter was my favoutite-but now it turns out this one is. Actually, I think I'll favourite this story the moment I get access to a computer!

Okay, onto the theories. I see that my original was sort of correct. The game controller was indeed Harry, however the reasoning was not quite as serious as I thought it would be. And quite strangely; I understood ALL the information about cause after affect, and how if humans perceived time in a one-way fashion, they indeed would be perceiving the universewrong. Since they think the effect is the cause, and the cause the effect XD

When I first started reading this story I didn't think I'd understand all the sciency stuff since I'm only in grade 8 at the moment. But now I'm pleasantly surprised I do! :D
willam and jack and jake chapter 14 . 10/24/2013
interesting fanfic
Pepperoni Muncher chapter 14 . 10/6/2013
My mind was just blown in front of my face...
Deadzepplin chapter 14 . 9/21/2013
Did you know that the First time turner was built by a man who went back in time to tell himself how to build time turners make a wit sharpening potion and then go back in time to tell himself how to make a time turner and to make a wit sharpening potion so that he can go back in time and tell himself how to make a time turner and to make a wit sharpening potion so that he can go back in time ETC ETC.
Non-Existent Phantom chapter 14 . 9/19/2013
I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my ignorance about time and time travel. The question(s) plaguing me is(are) which Harry is the ORIGINAL? Is there an ever increasing number of Harry's every time he travels? Is the Harry watching the one sleep is the result of the time travel,

For instance:
"And just for the sake of mischief, Harry put the Cloak into Harry-1's pouch, knowing it would thereby already be in his own."

How does this work? I'm in a little over my head... If you could try and explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

Other than these questions, I love your story. I enjoyed the parts where he was experimenting with his bag, and hope to see similar events later on.
Guest chapter 14 . 9/2/2013
Wow.

Just. Wow.

I had a suspicion that Harry was behind it, but I had no idea how. Your solution was elegant.

I tip my hat to you.
S28 chapter 14 . 8/24/2013
You never did explain the game...
cross-over-lover232 chapter 14 . 8/15/2013
hm...i see...!
thisisup-upisno chapter 14 . 7/12/2013
Ohh, my gosh I feel so stupid.
Halfway through Harry's 'ignorance is your own fault' speech, I realized just how you pronounce Comed-Tea.
Oh, poor Harry. He's got to fix his mind up a bit...
ZenaraTheDragon chapter 14 . 7/8/2013
He'd hate the TARDIS.
whenithitsthefan chapter 14 . 7/6/2013
I hate how I didn't think of the time turner -it seems so obvious now. I was driving myself insane trying to figure out WHO HAD WRITTEN THE NOTES.
Anon chapter 14 . 7/2/2013
I can't believe I couldn't figure it out... This is awesome, though!
hgkjdlsa chapter 14 . 7/2/2013
chapter 13 is actually part of the story that pretty much deleted my interest.
nono9 chapter 14 . 6/30/2013
Awesome story so far.
Now that Harry has a time turner I'm sure he will unleash (even more) havoc.
I hope Harry gets to have a talk with a past or time traveling future version of himself. I have yet to read a fanfic that does this but seriously just because the books say it might possibly be dangerous, everyone is like 'okay, so it's taboo'? C'mon what are fanfics there for? And since this Harry is crazy-prepared with codes and such, there would be minimal "danger" of killing himself in a panic or so.
Alissie chapter 14 . 6/30/2013
A Time-Turner! Of course- it was him all along! Ah... :) But...who had the Invisibility Cloak? o_O
sww11685 chapter 14 . 4/16/2013
Intriguing chapter. The time-turner does seem an apt solution to an odd sleep cycle, and presents so much potential for mischief or anything else. And the early return of the Cloak with the revelation as to its true nature and abilities is great while still keeping the mystery of who had it.
Hannah chapter 14 . 4/4/2013
Oh, I never would have guessed that it was Harry all along! I wonder if he sent himself the cloak, too? Well, I don't see how that would be possible. And there was always something wrong with Harry Potter, especially in book five, I think.
hervissa chapter 14 . 2/27/2013
Time-turner. Probably the last thing that would ever occure to me xD
But it makes perfect sense :O
...and I bet that Dumbes himself wrote the note. Even that I might sound like an idiot writing that xD
I think that Harry would really do well in Hufflepuff...and that Pomona Sprout is starting to have a soft spot for him :))
...as well as McBadass...
Well, let's see what's wrong with the Chosen One! :D

hervissa :)
Enei Emmu chapter 14 . 2/2/2013
This is so freaking awesome...
petalene chapter 14 . 1/25/2013
Love love love the reveal on the prank! And all the questions about the time turner. Another fantastic chapter.
anonymous chapter 14 . 1/7/2013
"Turning into a cat doesn't even BEGIN to compare to this. You know right up until this moment I had this awful suppressed thought somewhere in the back of my mind that the only remaining answer was that my whole universe was a computer simulation like in the book Simulacron 3 but now even that is ruled out because this little toy ISN'T TURING COMPUTABLE! A Turing machine could simulate going back into a defined moment of the past and computing a different future from there, an oracle machine could rely on the halting behavior of lower-order machines, but what you're saying is that reality somehow self-consistently computes in one sweep using information that hasn't... happened... yet..."

Only if we are identify time inside the simulation and outside. We can easily compute this if we just have some sequence of states and variable of time, so we can first compute future states and only then increase time.
Writing bunny chapter 14 . 1/6/2013
So how long before Harry figures out what's his problem?
I guess it's lack of empathy thanks to his social isolation.
Biabara chapter 14 . 1/4/2013
Time turner. Never would have guessed. To be honest, I thought the sorting hat somehow gained the mysterious power to use special kinds of magic in Hogwarts and decided to teach Harry a lesson..
BiblioMatsuri chapter 14 . 1/3/2013
I knew it! ...And Neville's right. In my experience, the definition of insanity is when the world you live in is not the world everyone else lives in. (Once you get into certain hypotheses that reality is perception, that would make everyone insane. This is why I cut off certain trains of thought early on.)
Axcel chapter 14 . 12/21/2012
It seems that Comed-Tea became a poor victim of Occam's Razor.
HitomiFeito chapter 14 . 12/18/2012
uhhh...I have no idea what this is on about! This is hilarious don't get me wrong... But it seems more random then science or physics or any other of those things then again i don't know much about them... but this is absolutely confusing my brain is going haywire what is going on!
StrangeoneXD chapter 14 . 12/16/2012
O.o holy fudge, this is one elaborate plan for figuring stuff out
Dan Riddle chapter 14 . 12/14/2012
Why didn't Harry explore what would have happened if he did NOT set up the prank on himself after using the time-turner? Someone with his genius should have thought about that possibility and also should have asked McGonagall about what would happen in such a case! ;)
Mr Norrell chapter 14 . 12/14/2012
"Oh, good, very good, that. And if someone bumps into me the Time-Turner will not break and will not trap the whole castle of Hogwarts in an endlessly repeating loop of Thursdays."

You read that story too?
oreomonstar chapter 14 . 12/7/2012
What?...
bethyboo chapter 14 . 11/26/2012
Um, so just wanted to pop in and say that this was running through my head this entire chapter...

"Most people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, when actually, from a non-linear non-subjective point of view, it's like a big ball of...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."

Hehe love the story! (If your not in the loop, it's from Doctor Who, episode Blink)
BiJane chapter 14 . 11/16/2012
This is simultaneously the most genius, surreal, moving, and hilarious story I have ever read.
Firstly, I squealed when I recognized the Donaldson reference in the apparently mandatory Rowling-related line at the start of each chapter. That probably made me love this story more.
I love a lot of the genuine science too. Always fascinating to read some of it, plus Harry's 'WHAT?' moments are truly delightful. Especially the time machine and sleep disorder. Also, interesting new story. Can't wait to find out what happens.
And finally, the Sorting Hat Omakes were perhaps the best things in existence. ATREIDES. Also, I'm fairly certain Draco is carrying Harry's child Lovely twist.
I sincerely hope Harry doesn't end up applying the experimental method to the time turner though. Hypothesis: time is not immutable. Experiment: go back in time, talk to past self, and tell them not to do this. Conclusion: apocalypse.
Anyway, utterly wonderful story. Thank you for it!
Tinithor chapter 14 . 11/16/2012
I've never liked the way Time Turners work in the Harry Potter universe. It simply hurts my brain to consider it. How can you go back in time to cause yourself to do something which you SEE happen and then go back and duplicate it again? How did the FIRST version of you to start this loop get the idea when all the other you's would of never been able to think of it? Also what if you decide not to go back and do it yourself? Would you end up meeting yourself as they returned from the loop they were on? Or do you step into a parallel time line when you use Time Turner? If that's the case then would it even matter if you didn't go back to cause the same paradox since it's not really YOUR timeline that you need to fix, you could just continue on since a different version of you already fixed things the way they were supposed to be, but you'd be dooming all the other versions of you to the fate that you were supposed to avoid... It hurts my brain to think about, i don't think it could possibly make any logical sense other than to just say "Well it just works", but maybe there are people smarter than I who could come up with some explanation.

Also i haven't seen any hints of Evil in this Harry, idk why the Sorting Hat was so concerned with it. Maybe that's Harry himself concerned that his search for knowledge might lead him down the wrong path, but really if he even cares about staying on the right path in the first place isn't that a good sign that he won't end up being bad?
Muirgen Monet chapter 14 . 10/26/2012
Holy crap! I said the last chapter was the best? I was wrong. This one is. Harry's freakout about receiving the Time Turner was legendary. McGonagall's matter-of-factness was priceless. And solution to the riddle, I never would have guessed. But who gave him the Cloak, if not for Dumbledore? Oooh, so many questions!
OrionRedde chapter 14 . 10/21/2012
"You're giving me a time machine to treat my sleep disorder.

You're giving me a TIME MACHINE to treat my SLEEP DISORDER.

YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER."

Your brilliance dazzles me.
Time Turner chapter 14 . 10/2/2012
Being astrophysicist I can't but notice another problem with Time Turners or Time Machines. How come that time traveller find appears exactly at the same same place on the Earth? Even during 1 hour the Earth has been rotated and moved in space comparing to any inertial origin! So, time travelling means space transportation. Why can't one use time machine to transport without travelling in time...? Well its weird for magic world especially, how Time Turner known where transport to?
Winchester Squishy chapter 14 . 9/13/2012
I don't really need to tell you your story is excellent, I'm sure you have realized that by now :-) But I thought I would tell you anyway! The only issue I have with the story is all the 'smart talk ' for lack of a better term starts to give me a headache after a little while :-P Easily solved by me resting my brain every ten chapters or so.
Jamie Flower chapter 14 . 9/6/2012
Why didn't Harry notice that the existence of the game is an Ontological Paradox? He got the idea to go back in time and create the game from the knowledge that he went back in time and created the game. The game doesn't have an origin!
Guest chapter 14 . 9/6/2012
So creepy . . .
Guest chapter 14 . 8/6/2012
There's no need for the universe with Time Turners to be uncomputable. Consider a universe that is actually an acyclic finite-state machine: there is an initial state, a final state, and some deterministic rule associating previous state with the next one. Local hidden variable theories are ruled out, but global ones aren't, and cannot be (this "universe is a finite-state machine" 'hypothesis' is not falsifiable; I'm not trying to argue sensibility here, only consistency of a computable universe with Time-Turners).

You can obtain a random Time-Turner-consistent universe e.g. with the following computable sampling procedure: Assign a probability p(X) to each universe X, where X (initial state, final state, rule) triplet (with fixed finite state-space, so there is only a finite number of possible universes), as you would if going back in time simply copied most the previous state and plonked you in the middle of it (so a Time Turner modifies the state of most of the universe), without any requirement of consistency. Condition on the event "the universe is consistent when considered as a 'loopy' universe" to obtain a new distribution, and draw a random universe from that. You could also have approximate consistency only, like classical physics is only approximately correct.

Getting a sensible (a vague unfalsifiable 'hypothesis' is hardly sensible!) computable way of obtaining a random universe sounds a lot trickier. In any case, I do hope that there is some consistent model behind the story, whether it is computable or not. (I would prefer a computable reality, though :)
Panruru chapter 14 . 8/1/2012
The time turner was very predictable, but Harry's reaction lampshaded the event enough to make it awesome and hilarious. Sounds like where magic is concerned, P NP.

A prank that can only be pulled once in a lifetime ... brilliant, and oddly appropriate for a highly intelligent 11-year-old.
voodooqueen126 chapter 14 . 8/1/2012
You know the great strength of the original Harry was his capacity to love. That there was nothing morally wrong with him.
Poetheather1 chapter 14 . 7/28/2012
Harry with a Time Turner... scary but fun. Good luck Harry.
AnimationNut chapter 14 . 7/26/2012
Harry's not the only one who had his mind blown.
The Eternal Observer chapter 14 . 7/21/2012
Great chapter, ties up everything nicely. Explains my earlier question too, now I feel foolish for asking instead of just waiting to see if everything would be explained later...
noiha chapter 14 . 7/21/2012
i'm lovin this story more and more. harry p.e.v is a splendid character. and the whole time-turner thing... that's really amazing. i was guessing that the whole thing is dumbledore/mcgonagall works... xD

anyway, harry seems to be close with mcgonagall while he's not even in gryffindor. i want to see more of him and flitwick interraction. perhaps i should just read and stop ranting in every chapter. xD
Guest chapter 14 . 7/19/2012
Since history cannot actually be changed, and any changed movements of an individual the second time a person lives through a time period using a time-turner could potentially change the present and therefore the past, one cannot actually change what one will do and therefore Every Living and Non-Living Thing in Existence has it's life planned out in six hour time periods.

Or at least, that's how I saw it.
Hawklan chapter 14 . 7/19/2012
Ch 9

what now Harry driving the poor Hat nuts as well? :)

Ch 10

a nice how the Hat handled Harry...:)

Ch12

hmm ok looks like Voldy had a short appearance here :)

Ch13

ok that was one strange chapter...

Ch14

pranking himself? rofl...
Satirica chapter 14 . 7/16/2012
The Comed-Tea explained...now that I know how it works, I feel stupid for not knowing. It seems so blitheringly obvious now! (How come blithering is a word, but blitheringly is not? Well. The same people who made up that rule also say that awesomecool is not a word, so maybe we should just ignore them.)
Kirinin chapter 14 . 7/10/2012
Okay, so awhile ago I stopped reading this story. I think it was something along the lines of how smug Harry Potter was! I understand he's *meant* to be smug, but having dealt all my life with very bright people who have a (sometimes deserved, sometimes not) sense of superiority and no social skills, I had little patience with his character. A few times I have stumbled across recs for this story, and even downloaded the pdf version, but hadn't picked it up again.

I'm glad I did. Your Harry *is* arrogant, but he's growing, and that makes him interesting. I was intrigued all over again with Harry's assessment of Draco (NOT a psychopath, just raised that way) and the series of puzzles was adorable, though I thought you were supposed to know it was Harry who was in charge of the game. (You gave so many clues that I thought Harry had to be a red herring, and I was missing something. I also thought, when I first read about Harry's sleeping disorder, that a Time Turner would fix that right up... info that Harry didn't have, couldn't've known about. So.)

Long story short, I'm enjoying this and I'm really glad I picked it up again. :)

-K
landofmyth chapter 14 . 7/8/2012
I have never, in all my years of reading, come across a plot of self-realization quite like this one. I cannot even begin to express how impressed I am, there aren't words.
Cytavani chapter 14 . 6/2/2012
I've always been fascinated by the epistemological and metaphysical implications of time travel in the Potterverse (and hypothetical implications in our own world about the nature of time itself as a construct). Hope to see it delved into even more at some point- I'm unfortunately not yet fluent in physics, but philosophy always catches my eye.
GravekeeperBat chapter 14 . 5/29/2012
Good lords, I'm not sure I've honestly ever laughed so hard in my life as I did over Harry at his second revelation. Or if I have, it's been far enough away I've forgotten, as I have a very poor memory.

That said, I almost guessed Time-Turner, but couldn't help but think 'Hermione didn't get one until 3rd year, and I have a really hard time thinking X number of Ravenclaws could also be in the possession of one, and why on EARTH did they ever give one to a third year CHILD anyways?' At which point I really should have reminded myself that the Wizarding world in canon makes no sense.

Anyways, going back to reading now! This is interesting!
HerGoldenHair chapter 14 . 5/23/2012
Great use of a quote from Burns.
tricorvus chapter 14 . 5/13/2012
My Merlin, you are a genius.

I like the scientific talk, even if most of it goes over my head. I have always enjoyed things that are higher than my intelligence level. I'm wierd that way. Forward to greatness.
Guest chapter 14 . 5/6/2012
tedious, burdensome and full of itself
GuesssWho chapter 14 . 4/26/2012
I love this chapter so much.

BTW, I think I'd like for Dumbledore to be the bad guy. Quirrel has become too likable to make a straight villain (illogical of me, I know, but oh well) and Dumbledore is the kind of crazy awesome that would be fun to see go totally mad.
anon chapter 14 . 4/25/2012
"YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER."

Haha, I imagine that's what a well-read 10 year-old would say upon being diagnosed with ADHD, except:

"YOU'RE GIVING ME AMPHETAMINE SALTS IN ORDER TO TREAT MY EXCESSIVE ENERGY DISORDER."
Hidden Lines chapter 14 . 4/7/2012
HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME.

You, sir or madam, are a genius. I say sir or madam not because I don't care what your gender is, but because I think it rude to assume, and that it shouldn't matter.

With that out of the way, I'd like to tell you, my mind blown. You're right. If it were me, I would do the exact thing. Who WOUDLNT want to play an epic prank on themselves? The idea is amazing. Like, again, HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME. I would say more, and think of other ways to praise you, but I want to continue reading. xD

I have to say though, I might have figured it out. Not that I'm trying to make myself look cool, or intelligent, but it was the way you worded the challenge. You refered to it as a "puzzle" going on, which threw me off. I expected something like "All the bold letters make a sentence" or "Take the first letter of each paragraph and it spells something". What happened actually was less of a "puzzle" per se, and more of a "Can you guess what's going on? No, Harry isn't dreaming." Calling it a puzzle threw me off. Maybe, if you read this, you can go back and change your wording. That might make it a bit more fair for the next person.
Mr H. Potter chapter 14 . 3/25/2012
"So far as the other students are concerned, this is a Spimster wicket and it is used to treat a rare, non-contagious magical ailment called Spontaneous Duplication. You wear it under your clothes, and while you have no reason to show it to anyone, you also have no reason to treat it as an awful secret. Spimster wickets are not interesting. Do you understand, Mr. Potter?"

Harry nodded, his smile widening. He sensed the work of a competent Slytherin. "And what does it really do?"

Lol, "spontaneous duplication," quite a good cover actually.

"Harry's suspension of disbelief blew completely out the window.

You're giving me a time machine to treat my sleep disorder.

You're giving me a TIME MACHINE to treat my SLEEP DISORDER.

YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER."

This is actually quite a realistic reaction. And doesn't it say later that there are potions to lengthen your sleep cycle? Couldn't they just reverse it as a cure? I know this is just a plot device to get it to him but still.
Eshalar chapter 14 . 3/24/2012
Just as a funny bit of fridge brilliance for myself here, I just realized what a bad pun Comed-Tea actually is. My sense of comedy is hurting now. Thanks.
Ginseng Overdose chapter 14 . 3/16/2012
Reading your story so far has been great and has had me giggling helplessly at several points already. Reading your story has also left me with the impression that I am watching a train wreck in slow motion. Really.

In the beginning when you introduce the kid, I saw a kid who was a bit too smart for his own good and reminded me of a more bitter and at the same time more clueless male version of Hermione. Then, you started spacing some rather out there thoughts in there with increasing frequency. Slowly, I began to understand that he was bonkers on some level at least but even with the first Neville incident, I rationalized right along with him. Candy and sickles? I could see how that might be fun. The sorting was another hint along the way. It was the first time I really looked at him like there was something wrong. The Ghost Busters thing (though not his fault) was funny though in bad taste as his first introduction into the school was reminding them blatantly just what he was famous for. With Neville's harsh words and the final sentence of this chapter, it just felt like a zoom-out. Yup, there's the train wreck. Harry Potter.

You've got a very interesting story going on here. I shall be pleased to continue reading the (many) chapters you have up. I'm sure they will be as much of a treat to read as these last fourteen were.
SqrlLrd chapter 14 . 3/12/2012
ok strange start, but it got there in the end. Time travel is for paradox, even before the travel part.
Alma Gloriosa chapter 14 . 2/29/2012
I am equally parts awed, amused, confused, terrified, and delighted by this story. I can quite honestly say that within the realm of fanfiction, I have never seen anything like it (though I'm sure you knew that already). In fact, you have my brain wondering what sort of person could even conceive of this version of Harry Potter and then actually carry it out in such a successful way. Truth be told, I think I find you, the author, at least as intriguing as the story you've written. This is significant because there's little I find as intriguing as a well-written story that I've not yet figured out.

I'm also wondering why I haven't managed to find this story before now. I thought I had made a fairly thorough sweep of the *actually* well-written (as opposed to what other people recommend as well-written) stories on here and especially since I consider myself a scientist (at the very least, more of a scientist than the large majority of Harry Potter fanfiction readers and writers) and can't believe that I only managed to happen upon this story through a convoluted path of linking from one author's "favorites" list to another in the search for something decent to read. But that's not really of any concern to you.

I guess I should just get on with it and be the gushing fan for a moment, letting you know that your Harry is wonderfully crafted out (is *any* bit of his personality from person experience? ... although in my own experience that's a complicated question, but I'm still curious as to how you'd answer it). I think what I love most about your Harry is the fact that even though he's a genius and he's the Boy Who Lived, he hasn't become an unbeatable superpower (and doesn't seem like he's ever going to fit that role, despite the sorting hat's rather dire revelations). He's a genius but he still manages to miss things and manages to outsmart himself (and when I say that, I am not referring to the prank he plays on himself because that was simply the result of information he did not yet have and you can't really say you've outsmarted someone just because you knew something they didn't). He still manages to be very, very human.

Anyways, I am insanely intrigued by this story, I am curious as to what exactly is "wrong" with Harry, how this ties into the warnings the sorting hat gave him, and how it's all going to tie into Harry's attempt to apply scientific reasoning to magic. I'm also curious as to how you're going to deal with the Voldemort issue, once it arises. Although I suppose it already has, considering Quirrell ... speaking of, was that actually Quirrell making the speech or was it somehow Voldemort doing it for him? I have a feeling that the answer is supposed to be obvious but here's my issue with it. It basically sounded like what Voldemort would say, and knowing from canon that Voldemort had wanted the DADA position it sounds exactly like the speech he made have made. Although it's possible that Quirrell, prior to being possessed by Voldemort, felt the same way, so I suppose I can't make that assumption. The other factor is that I was under the impression that when Voldemort takes over Quirrell he sounds like, well, Voldemort and not Quirrel himself. But that wouldn't be an issue if, in fact, it was just Quirrell. Actually this whole thing brings up another issue, which is … the whole Omake files seemed to be a departure from the storyline in order to explore some other rather amusing suggestions for what could have been meant by “well, this has never happened before” when Harry puts on the sorting hat and immediately starts in on the questioning. But what about the first part? I’m not really sure I understand this in the grand scheme of things. Was Harry telling Dumbledore that his scar was hurting the what-if? Or was the point of it supposed to imply that Quirrell is not (and presumably will not) be possessed by Voldemort in the story? In which case the vast majority of this paragraph is a bunch of pointless rambling. This is probably why I should have already gone to sleep rather than continuing to press the “next chapter” arrow until making it up through Chapter 14. Why is it that I always manage to wade through terrible, terrible stories and then just before I’m ready for sleep I stumble upon something magnificent that makes me want to stay up to read it even though I really shouldn’t? Is it Murphy’s Law? Or is there some other scientific explanation for this phenomenon? I suspect you would know.

Anyway, I guess I should also tell you that I really enjoyed the introduction to Hermione, probably because I identified with her. I don’t consider myself a shy person, but at the same time I’m not good at just walking up to another person and talking unless there’s a reason for it, which also means that I’m not always great at making friends. And it’s not that I’m unhappy or lonely or that I don’t enjoy (need, even) my time alone to read and all that, but it would be nice if I didn’t have to go through so much work to meet other people because really most people like me (or at least find me to be good company) once they’ve gotten to know me; most people just don’t do so.

And wow, I’m rambling like an idiot. Which, incidentally, your story somewhat makes me feel like. Not that I’m thinking *any* reviewers guessed that the sorting hat would become self-aware in response to Harry’s questions (correct me if I’m wrong) but I’m a little bit embarrassed that the best thought I had was that the sorting hat was not responding to Harry at all – not that it was consciously choosing not to sort him but that it just suddenly … wasn’t working (ceased to be sentient, perhaps?). I’m also a little bit embarrassed that the Time Turner thing never occurred to me as a solution to Harry’s sleep disorder, even though I know that it only seems obvious now because of Hindsight bias. But still, it seems like a good example of my failure at lateral thinking, not to mention the fact that Harry’s sleep disorder was brought up at the very beginning of the prank and it should have occurred to me to at least try to come up with a solution then instead of focusing on the much more confusing problem of what the hell was going on with this mysterious game (I rather liked the “life is the game” theory to be honest). One of my greatest joys in reading fiction is trying to figure out what happens before I get to that part. Although, I have to say that when I *do* figure it out, I’m somewhat disappointed by the author and it’s actually something of a letdown for the whole story. Isn’t that some wonderful irony? I enjoy figuring out what happens in a story and get frustrated when I can’t but in the end I probably enjoy the story more because I was unable to do so? Anyway, you seem to be much more clever than I am, so I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting journey.

That being said, I’m going to stop writing now so I don’t kill your brain (assuming you’ve even bothered to read this far). And I’m going to stop reading now, too, mostly because I need some sleep before work tomorrow but also because sometimes when I really love a story (and when, incidentally, I can’t figure out what’s going to happen next), I start breezing through it and then lose the connections I might have made (and thus been able to figure at least some things out). Of course, part of that is due to my hyperfocus mode which is due to ADD. It’s kind of lucky that I stopped to write this (because I was afraid I was going to forget all the things I wanted to say – fat chance of that happening, you’re probably thinking) because it pulled me away long enough that I can send this off and pick up with chapter fifteen tomorrow.

I guess I should also just say – thanks for writing such a wonderful and intriguing story. This is obviously a hobby for you and the fact that you’ve written 77 chapters (and apparently are not finished yet, although there’s been a gap in updating which I hope only means that you’ve gotten busy with other things or that it’s actually complete and you didn’t check the complete button, though based on the story you’ve written that doesn’t seem likely) is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
The Blind One chapter 14 . 2/20/2012
I wonder what canon!Harry would have done if he'd heard the Sslytherin to Sslytherin message. Probably conspired with Ron, or else gone "Huh, weird," and ignored it, as with the brother wands thing.

Harry's RPG thinking is kind of hilarious, even if it is pretty accurate.

Some internet-geek part of me thinks "You're giving me a time machine to treat my sleep disorder" should be in greentext.

Also, the "GIANT SMOKING CRATER WHERE THERE USED TO BE SCOTLAND" makes the evil-genius-wannabe part of me think "Huh, neat trick to pull on a smaller scale if Harry ever needs a ludicrously huge explosion."

"Gaahhhrrrraa..." is a pretty decent approximation of my own reactions to the stupendous idiocy of canon wizards on occasion.

I'd forgotten the Cloak from "Santa Claus," with its wrapping paper in the bin story-earlier. Ohhh, that is *brilliant.* /Here, let me innocuously list some stuff in the bin; totally irrelevant detail, move along./ Now what did you do like this in the story as a whole...

The writing on Santa Claus' note reminds me very strongly of Dumbledore's speech patterns, with the warning about him easily explainable as his wanting to avoid future temptation. Or it could be Quirell or somebody else trying to write like Dumbledore. Hmph.

"Perfectly normal nose"? *goes to check last chapter* Oh yeah, "Lord Weaselnose." You're just doing gratuitous cross-referencing at this point, aren't you?

Yeah. If only we knew WHAT was wrong with Harry Potter.
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 14 . 2/18/2012
My head is spinning. This was an epic chapter, even though I only understood about half of what Harry said. From the moment McGonagall took out that gold necklace, I understood, but it was still so much fun to watch (read?) it all play out.

The ending has me intrigued. I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.
Hedgehog chapter 14 . 2/5/2012
This is brilliant and also, yes, a little scary. I'd hazard a guess that you've got more than a liitle bit of skeptic!Harry in you, and are speaking, well, not from experience, but from a certain mindset, maybe.

The best part was that that the old lady's portrait gave Harry the answer in the last chapter, something about himself deciding the rules of the game, which made me think that that might be the case. Unfortunately, I didn't take the extra step to come to the conclusion of time travel being involved. I loved the explanation for the Comed-Tea, brilliant in itself. Though I am worried what this Harry could do in trying to work out the intricacies of a time turner, setting up experiments trying to change small, inconsequential events to verify that, no matter what he does, it really isn't possible to change history. Scary, yeah.

Hmm... the cloak is probably a gift of Quirrell's, what with you mentioning him becoming an important figure in Harry's life in the summary and everything. I wonder why he's so different... was that what he was like before Voldie got to him? Did he get a brain transplant? Or could it... gosh! actually be a trap? Muahahahah!

I really like your take on McGonagall, she's sort of growing on me.
eastern rosebud chapter 14 . 1/28/2012
I wonder what does "Santa Claus" mean by saying that the Cloak "wished to come back" and "seems to expect you (Harry)"? It sounds as if it was actually sentient...

The way the comed-tea and Game mysteries were resolved is both funny and cleverly, and so is the scene when Harry reacts to McGonagall's carefree approach to a time machine.
A Fan chapter 14 . 1/17/2012
Aio, I think it works the way it is.

From Chapter 13: "...as he almost ran over a group of six first-year Hufflepuffs... ...[and a] group of five older Slytherins who seemed to be surrounding another young boy.

So that's 6 1st year hufflepuffs plus 1 1st year hufflepuff (Neville, who is surrounded by the older kids), which makes 7 1st year hufflepuffs.

From Chapter 14: "Eight first-year boys, mostly the same height. One of them had a scar on his forehead and he wasn't acting like the others."

And that's the 7 1st year hufflepuffs plus 1 1st year ravenclaw (Harry of the past), which makes 8 first years, one with a scar on his forehead.

That makes sense, right?
Aio chapter 14 . 1/17/2012
When would Harry ever see 8 first year boys(one being himself), at best there would be Harry and 6 boys, only before he grabbed Neville. After which there would be Harry and the older boys, unless you take in the entire scene, in which it makes more sense to say of the 8 first years mixed in with the (5th years? slytherins, bullys), the one with the scar on his forehead wasn't acting like the others.
clouds711 chapter 14 . 12/22/2011
This fic is simply hilarious and transcends all other fics when it comes to hilarity especially the omake chapter which was possibly the most hilarious chapter I've read. You awesome author, transcend epicness, keep up this excellent work!
Voidcaller chapter 14 . 12/20/2011

Looking into an actual experiment "A Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser" done in 2000 (if you want details see . or just see Wiki) one has to face that YES ... universe somehow does just that. We do not understand how, but it fits past outcomes to measurements that we may decide to do in the future.

Thank you again for your fanfic! I am enjoying it very-vere much.
LittleMissLoony chapter 14 . 12/16/2011
This is too good not to review :D

This is an amazing look into some of the flaws of the series (DID I JUST SAY THAT?) and what would Harry's life have been like if he was brought up this way. I find it hilarious that he's a boy genius and yet he can't seem to contemplate things like time-turners. Poor thing ;)

I'm studying psychology at the moment, and this actually makes a hell of a lot of sense (and hilarity)!

Wonderful! On tenterhooks to read on!
catinthebath chapter 14 . 11/13/2011

Wowwwwww...

This story is pure awesome...
EpitomyofShyness chapter 14 . 11/9/2011
This is fascinating. I can't stop reading.
Lun Yokune chapter 14 . 11/6/2011
I'm getting sucked in and shattered at this point. I think I was happier as an idiot.
Jonakhensu chapter 14 . 10/12/2011
Sadly, this is the first chapter where I got the pun of the Comed-Tea.
Soulwind chapter 14 . 10/10/2011
"Of course, Mr. Potter, that's a brilliant idea. Take a powerful sensitive Magical item capable of propelling a person though space and time, and put more spells on it! Why didn't anybody else think of such a simple thing? What fools we must be!"

... Probably a good thing McGonagall's a lot less sarcastic them I am :) In all seriousness, this is a very good fanfic. A little ridiculous, but I'm enjoying the science behind it. Normally I'd say keep it up, but I can see you already have. So rock on, and good night.
Guest chapter 14 . 10/8/2011
First off, oops.

Though I can't prove it, I posted almost an exact duplicate of this in "Chapter 7, Reciprocation" when it should have been posted here in Chapter 14.

In "Chapter 14, The Unknown and the Unknowable," you showed something which could be useful. And if it is useful, I'm betting Mad Eye Moody is using something similar.

I missed it the first two times around, but Comed-Tea might be useful as an early warning system. If you're moving through dangerous territory (Mad Eye Moody: His living room counts as one, but then most places do.) and you suddenly feel thirsty...

Especially if they can be fine tuned for different situations.

It isn't perfect. Having your head a'sploded because of a sniper probably isn't very surprising. I mean, how would you notice it afterwards?

But if it's allowed by our DM I'm going to make something similar.

Additionally, it appears to create the impulse to give it to other people so it would work even better in groups so long as at least one of them survives long enough to be surprised. Fear air fuel bombs and instant atomization.

...Of course, that depends on what it's radius of target detection is...but Proffessor McGonagall...may have been less than ten feet away...needs testing.
Toratchi888 chapter 14 . 10/6/2011
Oh, there's a shot of Wiser's for me.
refdsz chapter 14 . 10/1/2011
I FUCKING LOVE THIS STORY!

Seriously, and I'm not even halfway though yet.

Expect more reviews like this in at least 5 chapters.

Don't stop the awesome, man.
AR chapter 14 . 9/20/2011
Interesting...very interesting.

You had me reading his reasoning 3 times trying find a flaw in it. Even though I got it..i still feel like there is some inherent flaw somewhere.

But i LOVE that you made him see himself from the outside. I think that more than anything will sway him from being a sociopath. The ability to recognize that ...switch so to speak in himself.

But now it is 4am and I have a headache with all the thinking. More as I go along.

You're still an amazing writer
ironhair chapter 14 . 8/27/2011
darn ! Ofcourse.
Fenrir666 chapter 14 . 8/24/2011
Yes, a bit of an extreme cure, but effective nonetheless.
Pelahnar chapter 14 . 8/20/2011
I was right! I was right!

Well, actually, it's not so surprising that I was right, since you obviously wrote it to be that way and so put in all the necessary clues. But I put them together before the genius Harry did!

Actually, if he thinks it through (and it's very likely he will) he should be able to put this to good use. If he keeps some of the Comed-Tea with him at all time, he knows that the impulse to drink it will always warn him that something unexpected is coming.

My jubilation is over. I'll read the next chapter now, shall I?
anonymous chapter 14 . 8/20/2011
How do you make Harry Potter so clever in this Alternate version! And who sent the invisibility cloak?

I can not wait till the next chapter!
Darkflame4ever chapter 14 . 8/9/2011
I've read this story twice and I have to say... MY POOR BRAIN HURTS SO MUCH! One the other hand this is just an awesome fic and I can't begin to understand how you came up with everything without going crazy. lol
vampireweekday chapter 14 . 8/5/2011
EPIC chapter! I loved the whole time turned setup. And I'm glad McGonagal finds Harry as "endearingly cute" as I do
lizoftheinfinite chapter 14 . 7/29/2011
. . .

mind officially blown.

I must admit, whenever I see time travel in a work of fiction, I immediately put the book down (unless it's handled ridiculously well, like in Orson Scott Card's 'The Redemption of Christopher Columbus'). Harry's problems with it go a loooooot deeper with it than my problems with it, though.

And, jesus, the whole solution to the whole damn thing . . . ohmigod. Words. Fail. *keeps reading eagerly*

I really hope I'm not going to end up reviewing every chapter and spamming your inbox with reviews.

-liz
JayTang chapter 14 . 7/29/2011
Whoa. My head just exploded.
aku chi chapter 14 . 7/23/2011
A beautiful solution to a delightfully baffling riddle. Your musings on time travel were most enjoyable. I'm re-reading "The Methods of Rationality": this, and the preceding chapter, are perhaps my favorites.
This Charade chapter 14 . 7/18/2011
This is my favorite chapter so far. I guessed how it all happened - the time turner always bugged me - you know how they just kind of dropped it because it breaks plot and stuff. But I loved this chapter. I really like the way Harry's thought process about the time loop worked (and didn't at the end). That's the nerd in me. The writer in me is really impressed with the way you intertwined the science and the character development. It is interesting - by the nature of the loop, we miss the thought processes that caused Harry to write the notes the way he did, but the last section was incredibly powerful and I went from impressed as someone fascinated by time loops to impressed as writing major so fast my head spun. Nice job.

Also, as a nocturnal American, I really wish I could have one of those things.
Megan McAlistair chapter 14 . 7/14/2011
wow, my Comed-tea theory wasn't too wrong (well, not too far besides Harry's theory, nothing has been disproven)

except I focused it on the seller, not the tea itself, huh
Isa Knightwalker chapter 14 . 7/10/2011
Yay got it right! (Although more obvious than your other tricky riddles, like what the Sorting Hat had meant in the earlier chapter). Nice chapter, I like how Harry looks back at himself and how it all played out.

I'm curious as to who would have given Harry the Invisibility Cloak. I'd think Dumbledore (but then it was weird he talked about himself like that and mentioned the DH), unless you decided to change who James gave the cloak to as well (so many changes, hard to predict anything lol ;_; Not sure how Sirius will get free if he doesn't have Peter as motivation, if you plan to have him escape still).
DIZ chapter 14 . 6/26/2011
Good job with the time turner! Your sleep cycle totally gives credit to why McGonagall would even think of giving him that kind of power. Cheers.
Lena7213 chapter 14 . 6/10/2011
These last to chapters were absoluetly amazeing. I finally got the game when the time turner was given to Harry... One of the best written arc, plot, or whatever you call it, I've ever read.
Mezzavia chapter 14 . 6/7/2011
Omg! You are brilliant x) I'm not familiar with Turing machines, but apart from that.. the time traveling theory made a lot of sense. You're good at explaining things x)

I have read a lot of fictions yet when I see the review button, oftener than not I find myself with nothing to say. Your story, on the contrary, can make me angry; I even facepalm myself. Some things you say I agree with, a lot of them I can't agree with. Still. You actually HAVE something to say, everyone can see that. Your story makes people THINK. I find myself LOOKING for the review button (I'm reading it in Pdf format).

Neville's line was incredibly cool. Unlike Ron, it did look like you didn't dislike Neville. This seems to have confirmed it (I hope?) and I'm glad - he's a nice char.

Paradoxically, this fanfiction feels like a criticism to the original x). To me, it feels like you love the characters and the world JK Rowling has created, but at the same time think that it could have been done so much better. That a lot of things weren't given as much thought as they deserved. Indeed, just like Harry said, you are "optimizing"- reorganizing- JK's world. Pointing out the plotholes. *rambling*

Harry seems on the verge of realizing something important. That's good. Cold anger is not the answer. It's addictive. Could it be Harry's a bit of an insecure person, deep inside? :/. Well, I haven't read enough to know. His character's intriguing w. I can't wait to find out x).

Anyways, I really feel Harry's pain. When I was little, and adults would just dismiss my protests and my criticism with them having lived "far longer" and thus "knowing better", without giving me a real reason, it was most frustrating. I promised myself not to forget, so I wouldn't ever treat anyone the same way.
Clownwithachainsaw chapter 14 . 6/4/2011
Bravo sir! Bravo!

I knew it was Harry the whole time. I knew he'd get a time turner since he brought up his sleeping disorder. But I commend your explanaition for the comed-tea! I knew it was no reality warper, but seriously, that is just brilliant.
Siven80 chapter 14 . 5/31/2011
Wierd fic.

Not humerous at all ive found, and i get the impression your forcing it to be "smart" where it comes off as annoying.
Rationally Procrastinative chapter 14 . 5/30/2011
Sheer speculation with no good basis in fact: Harry's sleep cycle is important. There are other ways to set him up with a Time-Turner.
whisperasweknowit chapter 14 . 5/30/2011
You deserve every review you have. The amount of work you must have put into this is both astonishing and fantastic. I applaud you, and I fully intend to finish reading this. At some point. It's long. XD

Regards,

~Whisper~
linkhyrule5 chapter 14 . 5/24/2011
(This is actually about Chapter 13, but I already reveiwed that once and apparently you can only review a chapter once)

Actually, it's a *really bad sign* that the spell that Muggles think of when they think "magic" is "Avada Kedavra".
belinda chapter 14 . 5/23/2011
I feel extremely stupid for saying this but I've been mispronouncing Comed-Tea as 'combed tea' up until chapter 14 and was actually berating you, the author, for giving it such a ridiculous name, that was up until I got the joke. It was right in the paragraph where Harry realizes how Comed-Tea actually works, this exact line, "drinking the Comed-Tea doesn't cause the comedy, the comedy causes you to drink the Comed-Tea!"

And now I think I owe you an apology. I think it's safe to say I don't pick up puns that well when it's in written form, there's no one nudging and winking at me to cue me in on the joke.

Wonderful, wonderful fic as you very well know and have heard from the previous 12k reviews. You are truly gifted and should definitely write your own fiction or non-fiction for that matter because you are extremely talented and intelligent. I am crying tears of joy that this fic is 71 chapters long because I don't ever want to get to the end. That's a feeling I had previously regarded for the original Harry Potter books so consider that my highest compliment.
Neutrino Doctor chapter 14 . 4/27/2011
OK. redemption time. Your explanation for the drink was excellent and consistent and I am impressed. I still think my previous review was accurate and that Harry should have thought of some other ideas aside from omnipotent soda to explain his observations even if t hat wasn't the right answer just to keep his character's intelligence consistent but at least the mechanics of the story make sense so far. Well done. By the way who are you? I feel like I'm writing this to myself. which I guess isn't out of the question if implausible.
Charmanth chapter 14 . 4/12/2011
I've immensely enjoyed the story so far. Harry pranking himself is pure genius.

I can't wait to read more :D
admiralskippy chapter 14 . 3/22/2011
What do we want? UPDATE! When do we want it? 7PM Pacific time as soon as you can mangage without UFAI destroying the world!

The Karlminion chapter 14 . 3/20/2011
You know, for a story that claims to be written from rationality... an awful lot of IRrational things seem to be happening.

Or maybe it's just these early chapters, I dunno yet.

Still pretty good, though!

-Karl
Smooth Trooper chapter 14 . 3/3/2011
Oh wow...time travel is...confusing.
The StrayXIII chapter 14 . 3/1/2011
MIND BLOWING! I should have realized you'd give him the Time-turner just to sort out his sleep cycle, and the Cloak too...

And I'm finding it very interesting how you would plan this about 13 chapters prior. It doesn't seem like the kind of spontaneous writing where Fridge Brilliance just hits you and you realize you can do it in that certain way. Oh man, am I enjoying this fic too much?

Something wrong with Harry Potter... I wonder what it is? He might have the mad scientist gene. He has all the makings of one :P
Kerr Avonsen chapter 14 . 2/27/2011
Ah. That makes sense. I'm sorry for the people who gave up at the previous chapter because they couldn't trust the author to know what he was doing. A prank that one can pull on oneself only once in a lifetime. In a way, the prank was more like a conjuring trick than magic, in that things didn't appear out of nowhere, they were placed there "beforehand" in a manner of speaking.

*Professor McGonagall was right. The Sorting Hat was right. It was clear once you saw it from the outside.

There was something wrong with Harry Potter.*

I wonder if it's the Horcrux in his scar. If so, the hints we've been getting in previous chapters have been nicely done.
ARMH chapter 14 . 2/20/2011
Poor Harry. His notions of the universe just keep changing on him.
Tashie AKA TheAwesomeOne chapter 14 . 2/20/2011
How I love this story. You humour is so well balanced with the strangeness of Harry. Your writing style is flawless and veery chapter is unique but leads to a higher purpose. Like the fact that before Harry got the time turner, he noticed wrapping paper in the bin. But it's the first day and no even christmas yet, so why would wrapping paper be in the bin? And then, without even conciously realizing it, he puts the wrapping paper in the bin.

I love it when writers write hints in, that only when you go back and read it again can you see what it was. It happens in the Vampire Diaries series all the time, partially why I love it so much.

Well, it's late now in Australia and I have Math first up in the morning, so I shall continue reading this tomorrow.

Tashie xo
star.louw chapter 14 . 2/19/2011
I really liked the story and am sad to say that i cannot read on. All of your . . . Details? Whatever you want to call them, are just too much and hard for my fourteen year old mind. I loved it, though,

xxx

*$t Ř
Reader chapter 14 . 1/25/2011
Chapters 8-9-10-11-12-13-14

PC or NPC, that is the question? - What does PC mean?

bright, laughing green eyes - Please, preserve Harry's humour in the latest chapters! He needs it.

Hermione does notice that Sirius Black's guilt remains unproven, but she doesn't wonder why He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named attacked the house in the first place.

Who are centaurs? Why would "The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts" say that centaurs and not dragons/thestrals/snakes/owls/toads/basilisks fear Harry?

2-4-6 task - very interesting. What about creating an HTML page, which when loaded, randomly generates some Boolean formula from three variables and allows user to input these three variables and get replies from it until he decides that he knows the formula and asks the page to show the answer?

maybe even the first time she'd ever been asked to think on a test - Are tests usually so simple that you don't have to think on them?

he might actually be shyer than he appeared - I hope Harry doesn't become overly-proud and self-confident with time.

villain who would give candy to a child - Harry emphasises to Neville the absurdity of connecting an evil person with a kind deed.

consequentialism: the only question is how it will turn out in the end - what are the consequences. - Doesn't it mean: The end justifies the means? It's quite an evil principle, isn't it?

Harry Potter hissed at that, a frightening sort of sound that could have come from a live snake - First hint that he is a Parselmouth?

we'll see if the Boy-Who-Lived gets more attention - Too much self-pride. The dark side? In any case, it further strengthens Neville's feeling of inferiority, if it may be called so.

Whom do these lines mean? "Giant Fire-Ape? Old bat in a cape?" And how are they related to Severus Snape? I suppose he is the old bat in a cape, though I cannot guess why, but who is the giant fire-ape?

a substantial amount of memory and a small amount of independent processing power - Sounds too much like a computer.

I'm a hat, not a god. - Obviously.

that would heal something inside you that is broken - What is broken? It's surely related with Harry's dark side and Harry's scar. So what is broken?

I know there's something out there to be afraid of, some disaster I have to stop... - Is it Harry's fantasy, or does Harry have a way of feeling the future, like when he saw Quirrell the first time (he felt vague memory of friend lost when something went terribly wrong)? And is the disaster the return of the Dark Lord?

So blinded by your own assumptions that you might as well be a rock. - How is it related to Harry's pet rock? Or maybe, it's Hat's way to show that it can act irrationally and unexpectedly?

Changemyvoiceio is the easiest-to-remember spell. And who is Naruto? And is House Elf for those who become elfs (and do all the housework in Hogwarts)?

Great, so now he'd only applauded Zabini... - No, Harry also applauded Ron Weasley and Turpin Lisa. Or do you mean that Zabini was the only Slytherin to be applauded by Harry? Or that Harry was the only one to applaud Zabini? It means that Zabini isn't well-known, that's all...

research every kind of mind magic you can find - Not done yet!

research the libraries - Barely touched!

From Slytherin to Slytherin: if you would seek my secrets, speak to my snake. - Barely touched. When will you get to the Chamber of Secrets? But read about it at first. It's just too obvious a goal for anybody interested in adventures, so there must be some safeguards to allow only tiny fraction of people to get here. The safeguards might be set by Salazar, Voldemort, Dumbledore, anybody. So study, study, study.

You couldn't change history. But you could get it right to start with. Do something differently the first time around. - I wish Harry remembers this piece of logic oftener. I hope he applies it to the 67th problem.

In every day, in every way, I'm getting Lighter and Lighter... - I wish he tells it to himself oftener. In the later chapters he hardly remembers his promise to the Sorting Hat.

Anyone interested in reformulating the entire game of Quidditch should contact Harry Potter...How on Earth... - Did Dumbledore read Draco's mind?

Everyone pick their favorite tune and favorite words, and off we go! - There should be some charm to prevent a total cacophony! What songs did Harry, Hermione, Draco and Weasleys choose?

The one who awards or takes points is always you. - True.

He'd honestly thought he wasn't worthy of Hufflepuff. - Interesting. At least, Harry understands that he doesn't have all the virtues.

You're giving me a time machine to treat my sleep disorder. - So Harry Potter will grow up 26/24 times faster than other people around expect him to because he uses Time Turner.

That's it, it's official now, they've ratified it in Parliament, everyone in the wizarding world is completely stupid. - Ahahaha!

Oh, you can't change time! - Drinking the Comed-Tea doesn't cause the comedy, the comedy causes you to drink the Comed-Tea! - all wrong - The charm of Comed-Tea puts one additional restraint on time, both past and future, to change it. If it knows an appropriate comedy will happen, it makes you to drink Comed-Tea; if you have just drunk Comed-Tea, it will prevent comedy from disappearing. It's not a one-time event, because otherwise somebody could have vanished the newspaper after Harry and Draco started drinking Comed-Tea and before they saw the newspaper's headline.

Whom had James Potter lent the Cloak to? Somebody should know the friend of James Potter who studies magical objects.

Why would Dumbledore or anybody be interested in one of the Deathly Hallows? What's special about them?

There was something wrong with Harry Potter. - True.

And thanks for chapter 68!
storywhorey chapter 14 . 1/16/2011
How do you come up with these brilliant story lines?
Anon chapter 14 . 1/6/2011
did you give harry asburgers or adhd or something?
Gastogh chapter 14 . 1/5/2011
Grade A hilarious, right here. Coulda' read through almost the whole chapter with the Benny Hill theme on infinite repeat.

A time machine to treat a sleeping disorder?

"You're having another 'you turned into a cat' moment, aren't you, Mr. Potter." Mwah. xD

Silly Harry, knowledge transcends reality parameters.
Tangshou chapter 14 . 1/3/2011
You created Harry's sleep disorder just to have an excuse to give him a time-turner, didn't you?

'Harry's voice trailed off into the inadequacy of English.' great

There were two 'pile-drivers' of realization. I'm not sure if they refer to the paragraphs before or after: Was the second realization about the Comed-Tea, or about something else that was never mentioned? Both paragraphs have quotes around them, but the first one was said out loud and the second (about the tea) was only said in Harry's head?

I don't see what would be disconcerting about seeing ones future self. If you didn't know about time turners, yes. But once you know about them I don't see why seeing your future self would be different from seeing you past self. I don't think this Harry would follow this rule. Actually it's not even a rule, just a suggestion. Harry could have conversations with himself. The future Harry could play devil's advocate. It would be a great way to discover holes and failure modes in his elaborate plans.
FangDust99 chapter 14 . 12/28/2010
THIS IS FREAKING AMAZING

that is all
Gelacacine chapter 14 . 12/13/2010
Sometimes I have to wonder why protagonists always get so many advantages: an invisibility cloak that kept me hidden would be enough to rule the world - easily. Break into the white house, blackmail the president with photos, or just learn his password and change electronic things. But no, an invisibility cloak and a time-turner?
Los Grotos chapter 14 . 12/5/2010
What happened to her?
Brilliant. Absolutely brill chapter 14 . 11/28/2010
iant. Especially that moment at the end, the "wad some power" bit of self-realization. You have created a marvelously complete, three-dimensional (heck, four-dimensional, at this point) Harry Potter.

Thank you, again.

Sincerely,

Mickey.
Cinnamon Selkie chapter 14 . 11/22/2010
~Oh, right, she's expecting me to blackmail her for information about the prophecy.

Eh, Harry'd get around to that some other day.~

Harry's mind seems to be a highly disturbing place.

~Wow! He was going to get some sort of neat magical item as a quest reward! Apparently that business with refusing offers of monetary rewards until you got a magic item actually worked in real life, not just computer games.~

Ditto my previous comment. Although I have often wondered about that myself...

~"Excuse me," Harry managed to say, "but this sounds really really really REALLY DANGEROUS!" Harry's voice didn't quite rise to a shriek, he couldn't possibly scream loud enough to do this situation justice so there was no point in trying.~

Harry makes a very good point. However, giving a child a time machine to cure a sleep disorder is definitely on a par with some of the wizarding world's other spiffy ideas. Giving a child a time machine to attend extra classes, for example.

~Every mystery ever solved had been a puzzle from the dawn of the human species right up until someone solved it.~

Beautifully put.

~"When you try to find the Great Hall, you will get lost." Penelope stated this in the tones of a flat, unarguable fact. "As soon as you do, ask a portrait how to get to the first floor. Ask another portrait the instant you suspect you might be lost again. Especially if it seems like you're going up higher and higher. If you are higher than the whole castle ought to be, stop and wait for search parties. Otherwise we shall see you again three months later and you will be two years older and dressed in a loincloth and covered in snow and that's if you stay inside the castle."~

*Gapes in horror and fascination* Hogwarts is about as strange and disturbing as Harry's mind. They deserve each other. Cinnamon.
w chapter 14 . 11/20/2010
Good things:

MG's office description.

"Eh, Harry'd get around to that some other day."

Slytherin to slytherin conversation. Archeologists.

Points ethics.

Quest rewards.

Time machine reaction.

Test scores quote is quite amazing.

What difference does it make what substance your brain is made of. Even if causality is not temporal, if there are rules, you should be able to find them.

Who sends the cloak? Sirius, I bet. What is it with the distrust of D, I guess.

Do give your other book some serious proofreading. Your explanation of Bayes rule was _not_ the best example of explanatory articles I saw. And I wish for its success, more people should have an easier way of learning their biases than by getting tidbits of information from random places.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 14 . 11/2/2010
Fasinating, rational, and then scary at the end. Could harry possibly be affected by the Horcrux within him?
silentlysnowing chapter 14 . 10/18/2010
Oh dear God, you just pulled out Turing computable. Harry knows about Turing machines.

This is made of so much win I don't even have words for it.
Indigo Ziona chapter 14 . 10/16/2010
The idea of pranking yourself is both extremely ridiculous and somehow... wonderful... This entire chapter was a ludicrous paradox, but fabulous nonetheless.

"If his full misdeeds were known, every woman in Gryffindor would gather to desecrate his grave" worries me somehow. ...Ick.
Pseudorationalist chapter 14 . 10/11/2010
Amazing as always. Better than the original. Better than any work I have ever read. I still wonder how to identify what about this masterpiece is pleasing. The optimal fantasy and wonder and perhaps the interactive play. I still don't know but I wish to dwell and forever linger within this creation of yours.
Kutta chapter 14 . 10/8/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 14 . 10/6/2010
Excellent chapter.
Nakedkali chapter 14 . 10/4/2010
I hate stories with time travel in them.
dinosaurusgede chapter 14 . 10/4/2010
great chapter! \(o)/
Stereo chapter 14 . 10/2/2010
As I see there are a large number of reviews I'll keep the praise brief. I read the entire fiction, laughed out loud at some points (hopefully ones intended to be jokes), and generally enjoyed it.

The only question it's left me with is very minor, and related to his 26 hour day - it appears a fairly rigid limit early on, but then at Christmas he just arranges so he's awake at the correct time of night. I suppose it's reasonable to assume some amount of leeway - but if he wants to go to bed shortly after midnight on that day, he needs to make anywhere up to a roughly 11 hour correction in advance. If he can drop 15 minutes a day, then this will take him a month and a half. If he can reset it at will, why not do so every day?
Another Lazy Rationalist chapter 14 . 10/1/2010
I just had a thought. One of the annoying things about books and plots is that characters say and do things that seem so foolish or unbelievable. What's I'd LOVE to see is exactly that sort of foolishness pulled straight from the reviews and fit into the story. Now that would be hilarious! I suppose, you could only do it a small number of times without it becoming ... extremely annoying.

Character #18: "... so that's why all ethics is irrational."

Harry Potter: "Seriously?"
Another Lazy Rationalist chapter 14 . 10/1/2010
Eli,

I don't mean to be harsh, but stating one's opinion that "normativity" is irrational with zero supporting evidence or logical argument and simply based on an appeal to your personal authority is the height of irony.
eipiplus1 chapter 14 . 9/29/2010
no story i have ever read does the job of truly conveying danger and importance to the reader as well as this chapter does.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER (you've been warned)

Time travel may be one of the most difficult yet overused tropes in fiction. Here, LessWrong proves as he does again and again how to use such tropes with the skill of a master

"YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER!"

truly Harry, all the world around you is madness, and you stand alone as a symbol of sanity for us lesser mortals
J Grim chapter 14 . 9/27/2010
This has been very useful in getting a whole set of people to see Rationality as a viable tool in their lives. Keep up the good work!
jediprankster chapter 14 . 9/26/2010
I have to be intentionally vague with this review. Sometimes I like to read reviews before I give a story a chance. So I don't include anything in my reviews that could be a spoiler. And since chapter 13 would be completely ruined by any spoilers (and I mean ruined worse than knowing the ending of 'The Sixth Sense' ahead of time ruined) I have to extra vague. By the time Harry got the second note, I guessed what was going on. Then I dismissed it out of hand because, surely they wouldn't do something like that on the FIRST DAY! I briefly considered Peeves was involved, because I love Peeves and I had yet to see him at this point in the story. Then I dismissed that because it was too sophisticated for him. I even briefly considered my original guess after he got the last note. Then I dismissed it again because, let's face it, the idea was absurd.

Chapter 13 was the indirect result of the solution to a problem introduced earlier in the story. A solution that I thought of at the time the problem was introduced. I dismissed the idea then as well. This may be the only time I will ever be glad that I lack the confidence to just trust my instincts. Because let's face it, if I had known before the big reveal at the beginning of the next chapter, it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable.

I must say that chapter 13, and the punch line at the beginning of chapter 14 are some of the best I have ever read. I am enjoying this entire story immensely. I have laughed out loud at least once (and usually more than once) in each chapter. I rarely laugh out loud at the written word and this story has, on multiple occasions, caused me to laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. And no, that is not hyperbole in the slightest.

Now I have to go on reading the rest of what you have written so far, and pray I don't die from asphyxiation before I reach the end. I can think of few methods of death that would be better than to literally die laughing, but I would still like to avoid it if at all possible.
Rebel Goddess chapter 14 . 9/20/2010
Just thinking about the prank makes my head hurt. Superb. I love the interlocking rationality of it all. Harry is going to need someone to sit beside him occasionally and poke him in the ribs to tell him "You're not the Messiah, you're just a very naughty boy". Fantastic chapters.
Serpent In Red chapter 14 . 9/12/2010
Something very wrong with Harry Potter indeed. Interesting twist with the Time Turner, and although Harry can be annoying at times, I enjoy a lot of his snarky comments.

Hmmm ... from the note, it doesn't sound like it's from Dumbledore. Again you left me with questions but no answers. ;)

~Serp
Donteatacowman chapter 14 . 8/21/2010
YES! I DIDN'T KNOW IT BUT I CONSIDERED THE POSSIBILITY, WOOHOO! :D *fist pump, dances around in circles*

I wondered why you bothered mentioning the wrapping paper in the trash bin, but forgot about it after a few minutes... Well played, dear writer!
rekrula chapter 14 . 8/14/2010
now it makes sense. thanks for sharing. but i still didn't like it.
Mad Elf chapter 14 . 7/31/2010
No praise could be sufficient. Well-written, well thought out, *hilarious* in many parts, and with a non-forking time-travel explanation that didn't have me tearing my hair out.

*resists urge to bow down and say "I'm not worthy" repeatedly*
Bill4728 chapter 14 . 7/29/2010
I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this story!

I love that fact that Harry is so smart and so non trusting of everyone.

Brilliant!
Kevin S. Van Horn chapter 14 . 7/24/2010
Harry is jumping to conclusions when he tells McGonagall that the Time-Turner isn't even Turing computable. Time travel simulation is simply a matter of solving fixed-point equation f(x) x. Here x is the information sent back in time, and f is a function that maps the information received from the future to the information that gets sent back in time. If a solution exists at all, you can find it to any desired degree of accuracy by simply enumerating all possible rational values of x until you find one that satisfies the equation. And if f is known to be both continuous and have a convex compact range, then the Brouwer fixed-point theorem guarantees that there will be a solution.

So the only way I can see that simulating the Time-Turner wouldn't be Turing computable would be if the physical laws of our universe give rise to fixed-point equations that have no solutions. But the existence of the Time-Turner then proves that the conditions leading to no solution can never arise.
Phoenix Flight chapter 14 . 7/22/2010
One of the things I love about this story is that Harry's 'greater' enemy is not only a beefed-up Voldemort, but also ultimately himself.
Final-Fan chapter 14 . 7/7/2010
Okay, I'm reviewing in the dark here. For all I know this has already been disproven. But I must put forward a hypothesis for who gave Harry the cloak. (I proceed on the assumption that it's not Dumbledore playing a mind game.)

I considered Quirrel, who is the most obviously changed character, but this foundered on the question of why the heck he would have had it or, for that matter, knowledge of James Potter's activities.

Then it came to me: Wormtail. This necessitates that Black be guilty. (Which is perhaps strengthened by my belief that references Harry makes to canon events are unlikely to occur, and he made such a reference to PoA.) IIRC, some mention of the Weasleys' rat dying was made, so he could have faked his death as a pet to become more active doing who knows what. (I just now recalled this tidbit.) Wormtail would be in a position to know about James's exploits and have the cloak. The big question is why he would have hidden himself as Ron's pet ... unless Scabbers is not Wormtail in this reality?
Itachi's apprentice chapter 14 . 6/27/2010
Great work.
Apakoha chapter 14 . 6/23/2010
Oh HOLY JUNK I thought the game master was him, except I was like 'where would he get a Time-Turner, seriously?' I fail, so hard. Way to miss the point. 'If you've ruled out the possible, then whatever remains, however impossible, must be the truth.'

Okay, I'm done kicking myself, I just wasn't brave enough to actually guess that it was Harry. AWESOME.
James Birdsong chapter 14 . 6/23/2010
Clearly wonderful
fontgoddess chapter 14 . 6/18/2010
"Professor McGonagall was right. The Sorting Hat was right. It was clear once you saw it from the outside.

"There was something wrong with Harry Potter."

I really want to know more about this. Harry has an incomplete view of rationality, because he needs a bigger dose of humanism to go with it. Or maybe something else to temper his, well, temper. I really want to know more about this hole in Harry Potter and know more of how he fills or softens it. Maybe this isn't a true Rationality lesson, but it's an essential part of this story now.
wowow chapter 14 . 6/18/2010
hahahaha. very funny chapter! Harry went panic mode realizing he hold the time-turner-machine & began panicking over several disaster posibility & stuff. really good!

and that quite a clever game, it keep me guessing whose behind the game controller & the answer came quite unexpected. wow!
SorridoSole chapter 14 . 6/17/2010
this story is brilliant!

well of course its brilliant, as you've made Harry brilliant, but really, excellent work!

For once, (well, I shouldn't say once, as i have read just one other fanfiction of similar merit, at least in my opinion) every character is consistent. FINALLY! I cannot tell you how happy that makes me, to read a story with clear, clever, consistent characters. And an excellent plot. and, well, just brain-melting amazingness all around. And the knowledge you've actually included in this story makes me want to devour an entire library. Good thing summer vacation is here!

I regret to say that i can't continue reading, as I have my history final tomorrow, however, I promise to write many more happy reviews. Your writing is amazing. You're incredibly talented. And I am immensely jealous. I look forward to reading more, and thank you for... being amazing. :)
Plumbum chapter 14 . 6/17/2010
I'm intrigued.
Syron13 chapter 14 . 6/16/2010
So it wasn't Dumbledore who had the cloak? Who then I wonder? Great story.
Psalm Of Fire chapter 14 . 6/10/2010
Sub-Scribe!
LadyClaire87 chapter 14 . 6/5/2010
Well, normally I don't review until I have read everything written so far. But this story is worth more than one review.

But this story actually deserves over 4000 reviews (and more). It is great. Absolutely FANTASTIC! This has got to be one of the funniest stories I have read so far. And at the same time it makes you think about so many things.

I loved the riddle. It's got to be one of the best pranks ever thought of. And I am SOOO angry at myself for not figuring it out. I was thinking: "Somehow Harry must have written those notes himself." But I was unable to take it one step further and realize that it was a time turner. ARRRGH!

At least I figured out what Hermione did wrong in her experiment. Then again at 23, with a Bachelor in Physics and working on my Master, I really should have been embarrassed ,if I hadn't seen that. Especially, as I knew why the stuff vanished.

I really loved that scene. It's fun, but you still can learn something from it. (In that chapter I also learned about the truth quark. I knew that bottom was once called beauty, but somehow none of our Professors ever mentioned truth for top. And I didn't run across it in any books either. Rather strange, given how the two names belong together. But well, I'm not focussing on particle physics.)

But anyway, I also loved the sorting chapter. And I truly loved the last omake.

Now I shall go on reading. If I don't get any sleep tonight, I shall blame you. Thank god, it's Saturday.

Thank you for this amazing story! I bow to your genius.

Lady Claire
ShineX chapter 14 . 5/21/2010
Well that's interesting...
Mr.Destructo chapter 14 . 5/21/2010
omg a review!
Sarshi chapter 14 . 5/19/2010
"Salutations from Slytherin to Slytherin, if you would seek my secrets, speak to my snake." - you DO realize how perverted this sounds, right? Right?
The Endless One chapter 14 . 5/18/2010
Dear, Less Wrong

I'm going to pretend I never read chapter 14, and continue on reading, I don't know what made you write this chapter, but I hope the next won't be like it.

Clicking the Next button now

PPXEXE (The Writer who quits before he starts)
CeilingFan chapter 14 . 5/15/2010
God, I've read a lot of time turner fics. Also, concerned-for-the-fabric-of-time-and-space Harry IS really cute.
VN chapter 14 . 5/14/2010
Tangerine: The sole purpose of the sleeping disorder seems to be that time-turner (pretty thick plot device...)
Tangerine-Alert chapter 14 . 5/14/2010
Oh, so time travel.

I did consider it but...first year and for a sleeping disorder?

Brilliant.
Greytune chapter 14 . 5/11/2010
"Oh, you can't change time!" Professor McGonagall interrupted. "Good heavens, Mr. Potter, do you think these would be allowed students if that was possible? What if someone tried to change their test scores?"

And it was right about HERE that I realized that Harry will obviously use the time-turner to go back in time and go to Sprout's class. After all, why else would she treat him so well if he hadn't attended the class and impressed her?

"This one he managed to keep quiet, making only a small strangling sound like a dying kitten as he realized who'd put the note on his bed this morning."

YES. EXACTLY. I actually figured that part out almost as soon as the game began. After all, the 'it's his handwriting' wasn't the only hint you left us...
deloriantimewizard chapter 14 . 5/4/2010
definately saw that coming, but well written. mcgonagall and harry toegether are scary good
Nightdreamerms chapter 14 . 5/3/2010
Ahem. I'd like to proudly admit that I figured the Comed-Tea paradox out several chapters before Dumbledore even made his speech, thank you.
Darla chapter 14 . 4/27/2010
Your story is hysterical. A departure from cannon, sure, and Harry seems to be a totally different person than in cannon, but hey, it's your story. And I love the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant reference!
MegaB chapter 14 . 4/27/2010
Hahahaha! So I was...partially right! It was Harry who did it, but in a severely twisted prank on himself no less...

What's with that? How sad do you have to get to prank YOURSELF? That's like saying you have zero self-esteem because you can find no better target than yourself.

Which means he has some very serious psychological issues. No wonder the Sorting Hat took exception to him!

Though I would have enjoyed a small note at the bottom with Hermione's reaction to one of the 'Puffs conveying his 'message' along with the story of what happened to Neville. That would have been fitting.

~B
Jagane chapter 14 . 4/23/2010
I absolutely love the story. But what I'm wondering is, how many different versions of himself did Harry have cease to exist before he could get a stable loop going for the prank on himself?
TxA-GunFighter chapter 14 . 4/20/2010
Very good chapter.

Gunny
Cassandra30 chapter 14 . 4/20/2010
Well Harry, now you know. Change yourself.
Anderfail chapter 14 . 4/14/2010
Since I can't review Chapter 16 again, I'll just review here. I must apologize for the previous remarks about pretentiousness because I really am enjoying your story. It's by far the best on-going story at the moment, Chapter 16 was very good. I also like how you are expanding upon the magical rules and such regarding spells and creatures, your explanations are WAY better than canon HP.

Your Quirrell is much better than the Quirrell from canon (same with your McGonagall). Even though Harry complained earlier about the lack of logic in the magical world, it seems that in your story there actually is logic and rationality. The difference is that it's all based upon an entirely different system than what we non-magical people are used to and so it comes across as idiocy at first.
Toto chapter 14 . 4/14/2010
Harry is not behaving as an Arch-Rationalist here. He has a very simple way to test his hypotheses about time-loops: "What if I simply refuse to do all these things that think I've done to myself? What if I *don't* go back in time, get the pies, throw them here and there, etc.? Do my memories just disappear?"

Of course there's the risk of himself (and his own branch of the universe) disappearing into a world-simulator core dump. But still, you'd think he would at least get the idea.
Harriverse chapter 14 . 4/13/2010
Only you could think up these two chapters. Do the voices in your head help? Do you think they hire out?
devoted2know chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
I'm just going to smile and nod like I got all that... LOL (this review applies to the last chapter too... I'm being lazy; sorry about that). Awesome writing, as per usual. I love all the zany ideas you present in your story and, once again, heavily anticipate reading more chapters from you.
Rodrigo Black Potter chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
heahehaheaheaheah The ultimate Prank! very good! really! I was soo confused! I tried and tried, but couldn't figure out who was pranking harry! very good!

But who sent harry the Cloak, if not Dumbledore?
Tiky3000 chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
It's horrible to see it cut of here. This is pure awesome. Words cannot describe the brilliance that radiates of my very screen. There is no question. This must be fan fiction's only son, send to save us all.

Luckily you seem to have a rapid update schedule.

A rare thing, to see awesome and rapid update combined. Very enjoyable though.

The prank was surreal. It reminded me of a movie called The Game. I half expected Harry to jump of the astronomy tower by the end. Beautiful.

Your reference to an 'endlessly repeating loop of Thursdays', were you perhaps referring to 'Getting the Hang of Thursdays' by Hayseed? It struck me as quite the coincidence, considering it was caused by a broken time turner.

Again, my compliments, and my sincere wish to see more.
Ijoan chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
This is a great story. It's different and events are often unexpected. I love it and hope you update soon!
Steven Kodaly chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
A Timeturner, huh. I did enjoy Harry and Minerva's conversation, punctuated with UTTER PANIC on Harry's part. It's nice to see that Harry will have at least SOME challenges (and such delicious challenges they are!) as he explores the workings of magic.
Pytricc chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Beyond brilliant. I've just finished reading the whole story at one go and I'm positively blown away by what you've done here.

I've never commented on this site or any other fan fiction site, but the quality of this work, and the rationalist thought that informs it, make this a must read. My only regret is that this isn't going to be available in the children's book section of my local store. I'm hoping you're giving serious consideration to writing something like this with characters and a "fantasy" world of your own devising. But I'm also hoping I get to read the rest of this pastiche, and that there are more installments to come. I'm greedy that way. I only got through the fourth Potter book before giving up on the series. I'm certain that wouldn't have been the case if I had been reading about this protagonist as you've so marvelously re-invented him.

Off now to explore the Less Wrong wiki. Hopefully that will keep me occupied until the next installment.
Gundum M chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
very nice chapter
SROTU chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Still as awesome and as confusing as ever -
dogbertcarroll chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Wow again!
Pointer3109 chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Good one.
yoyoente chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
YES! *pumps both fists in the air* I was RIGHT! Booya bi-atch! *cackles*

*clears throat* anyway...so I wonder who it was that had the cloak if it wasn't Dumbledore? Was it Moody? One of the other teachers? It couldn't be McGonagall, she'd be entirely too skeptical to write the thing about the Deathly Hallows...and whoever it was knew entirely too much about the history of the cloak and what James Potter was like personally to be only a casual aquaintance...hrm...curious.

SO! Is Harry Potter really different from the other children because of the Horcrux in his scar, or is it because he is a child genius that has learned the hard way that people will not listen to him properly because he is a CHILD, no matter how right he may be or how wrong/stupid they most definitely are, and therefore he developed an anger issue/tweaked personality to deal with such situations as his normal personality would not be able to cope properly with. Hrrm...your Harry Potter is so interesting...
Ratus chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Hmm... 41 kilos of anti-Harry? That would be a nice sized hole right above a major Leigh lines in Scotland... And I am so glad he figured out how time works for all of us, I will sleep better tonight with that little bit of information. ;)

I am enjoying this story and your writing style. I look forward to more from you.

As for omakes, yes you can start a story of just omakes, there are a couple of people that have done that on here.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next chapter.
SkeletalChild chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Love the story, it's literally bursting with originality. I stayed up for half the night because I couldn't stop reading.

Harry finding out that he had in fact pranked himself was unexpected, and rather ingenious. I wonder, though, does Quirrell not stuttering mean that he is not possessed, or merely that he is using a different tactic here...

Anyway, I can't wait to read more.
sarah chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
The last few chapters aren't nearly as funny as the first ones were. I don't think Harry, as you've written him, lends himself to solitary quest narratives well, even ones as minor as this game was. I don't want to spend a lot of time in his head, because it'll get boring quickly. The funniest moments are the ones where people are reacting to him, and where we get to see that no matter how he rationalizes it to himself, he *isn't* always right - like the discussio with his parents about biting teachers. OTOH, too much self-doubt and introspection will take the shine off the fic as well. The last sentence of this chapter made me cringe. Your Harry was so endearingly full of himself and *aware of his own exceptionalism*, I doubt that he would jump to the conclusion that there is somehting wrong with him just because he is different from his peers. Also, emotional development usually proceeds at a dfferenent pace from inteleectual edvelopment (speaking as someone who once a precocious child herself), and Harry seems to be gaining emotional maturity unrealisticaly quickly for an eleven year old.
Therio chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Good chapter. It is also a good cliffhanger of an ending. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Swords and Spells chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
ok... I was so freaking confused last chapter by what the heck was going on. Thank you so much for posting this one so soon after the other. I love the conversation about time travel and cause and effect. I absolutly love this story so far so please keep writing it.
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
*cracks up at the first half, but partly coz it's brilliant*

*hysterical laughter*

*sobers by the end*

Oh, dear. Well, yes. he is.
The Lady Reaper of the Shadows chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
can't wait for the next part
SensiblyTainted chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
LMAO! Oh my god, I was totally thinking it sounded like Harry talking to himself from the future, and then I thought... Nah! Wow! So cool! And a bit sad, actually. I loved the part where Harry is blown away with causality, but seeing himself in third person and feeling like something is wrong with him is a bit... heartbreaking.
Walking By chapter 14 . 4/12/2010
Nice story. Enjoyed the whole confusion related to Time Travel. Reminded me of a Doctor Who quote.

The Doctor: "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

Keep it up.
Serial Peacekeeper chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
this is awesome
Starlight Chibi-chan chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
oh, what a chilling ending sentence! i love how you wrapped this one up.
White Ivy chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Love this story!
Harmony All The Way chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
A time turner ? A fu**ing time turner... Damn! I completely lost sight of it.

After analyzing Harry's thinking on time, I think now I understand how a prophesy is made ... ( No, I don't understand. I thought I did, but obviously I couldn't - now within the time I can write this message ).

Keep up the good work buddy...

Thanks !
badkidoh chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
great work on chapter 13 & 14.
Intelligo chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
It was horrible, watching himself yank Neville out of the circle of Slytherins. Neville had been right, he'd used too much force, way too much force.

Nope, even with that I still think Neville is pathetic.

I mean, I see what you were trying to do, but I still have no sympathy for the kid.
UberRandom chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Oh. My. God.

...

I am speechless. Utterly speechless. Well, of course not utterly speechless because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to inform you of my speechlessness. Or does this count as it not in fact speech but keystrokes?

Oh. My. God.

This stoy has completely altered my method of thinking. THAT is probably not good.

Regardless, GREAT STORY!

I am looking forward to the next update!

Ps. Ahahaha Gryfindoor AND Slytherin AND Naruto AHAHAHAHAHA
Memories-of-the-Shadows chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I knew it was Harry, it was obvious as soon as you said that parts were in his handwriting. You can't fake another person's handwriting no matter how good you are.

Plus, that humor? Your Harry all the way.

Last chapter was interesting. I'm glad you didn't have Neville accept Harry's apology. No matter what the intentions; that was a terrible thing for him to do. And even if Neville does now have more of a backbone because of it, that same end could have been achieved differently.
uo-chou chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Crazy. I thought all along that he might have done it to himself. That was awesome, please keep up the excellent work. If Harry's theory of the way time operates is true, then chances are divination is a real subject, and that prophecies are real. Interesting. Keep up the good work!
kakura sagami chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
i thought you had gone crazy in chapter 13. at least it's all properly explained here in chapter 14.

awesome chapter by the way.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This fic remains original and entertaining.

But, it seems that if Hogwarts was that dicey with students' fates that we would have heard something in canon. (Then again, what ever happened to Lisa Turpin?)

As original as it was, there were a lot of convenient (to the author) improbabilities ginned up to retro-explain it. EG's: Harry's magically getting the cloak for no foreshadowed or canon-plausible reason, serving pie for breakfast, McGonagall not telling Harry to meet her that day (she planned to give him a time-turner and we do not know Harry's class schedule for the first day).

Re: Harry's sleep cycle...

Even if Harry had this rare (and somewhat angsty-whites-only disease), it is supposedly well treated with light therapy and/or Melatonin (or in the only case I have personal knowledge of, a good set of whuppin's). Harry should be on these treatments or mention made that they don't work.

Good chapter; thanks for the update.
Wolfric chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Well, that mostly clears that up. Next could you try unified field theory? It looks like Harry could spend a lot of time developing theories to include magic. Hopefully Harry won't try out the nonparadox proeties of the time turner too rigorously and erase himself. Thanks for writing. W.
witowsmp chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Well, that explains it. Quite amuzing to prank yourself.

I wonder who gave Harry the cloak.
krachum chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Totally awesome how you managed to tied everything together in a way that makes sense! And thank you for the frequent updates!
lordamnesia chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
WOW, just wow. The previous chapter was such an off the wall set up my only response was W.T.F.! I literally couldn't think of any other response, so i waited for the next chapter to explain it, and you did. Bravo, good chap, bravo. Keep up the incredible work!
Roga chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This entire fic is amazing :D I just recced it at my LJ ( roga. ), the gist of which is that I adore it and it is hilarious. I love Harry freaking out over magic and science's incompatibility, and I love his sharp and rational observations about the wizarding world. His attitude in general is awesome and cracks me up, and I am constantly intrigued about where this is going and enjoying every minute. This Harry is like the combination of Rodney McKay, Tim Drake and Spock; really, there's no way I couldn't love him.
shankstar89 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
please update this is one of the few stories that i actually anticipate to read anymore in this god forsaken website...
Shodatl chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
For the love that is holy, satanic, existing, and not.

This... explains alot, and when i look at my last review i was actually SCARED from the chapter.

Like... the fear of unknown really showing itself.

You could actually make this entire fan-fiction thing a scientific experiment.

Great Chapter, though I hope to see more humor in the future.

Time Travel:

1st Rule: Everything that has happened, has already happened.

Example of this is if you tried to stop a death, then you may be the one to cause said death.

2nd Rule: With the additional dimensions of time travel, experiments show results that could otherwise be improbable.

Example: You throw a ball in the past You's general direction, However- you dont remember the ball, when the ball is close to you, a bird runs into it and dies. (the chances of this happening in regular aspects are very unlikely)

3rd Rule of Time Travel: Do not Talk About Time Travel.

...Seriously.

Unless you or whoever you are talking to remembers talking about it.
mushmonster chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This is AWESOME! Wow, the circles and roundabouts this telling leads me through is entirely mind-boggling. I'm surprised I can even follow Harry's logic, let alone understanding it. But, then again, I don't understand his logic, just the product of that use of logic. This has been a wonderful read, I congratulate you on a job very well done. I do look forward to your next update. Here's to it being just as confusing, doubly hard to follow, and yet entirely understandable! thanks.
Pink Bismuth chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Brilliant. That was a very interesting chapter. I just love it when things come together like that. I also like how Harry responded to time travel and the explanation for comed-tea.
the true elec chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Harry pranking himself, a brilliant concept. I'm really liking how this Harry isn't all good, it makes a refreshing change.
what are you even saying chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Damn you, hindsight! Why must you deceive me so?

Brilliant update, one of the best yet. Harry and McGonagall have great conversations even when he isn't driving her mad.

Right about now would be the time I'd start warning you about the complexities of using a Time Turner in your story, but since it's you, that would be ridiculous. I have complete faith in your cleverness.

Looking forward to more.
LoireLoa chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I'm glad tht he finally understands that there's something wrong with him. His parents did him a disservice by isolating him from his peers.
Sean Mulligan chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Another great chapter but Harry overeacted to the Time Turner. Its quite an assumption to assume that the Time Turner is filled with anti matter and is potentially explosive.
DarkPencil chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
for a fic based on logic, your chapter-ends always break my fragile sanity :-p
karmcmahon chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Love it! keep up the good work! and my, what an impressive update schedule!
cheekylildevil chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Quote Time:

"That's it, it's official now, they've ratified it in Parliament, everyone in the wizarding world is completely stupid."

"You're having another 'you turned into a cat' moment, aren't you, Mr. Potter. You probably don't want to hear this, but it's quite endearingly cute."

"SO THAT'S HOW THE COMED-TEA WORKS! Of course! The spell doesn't force funny events to happen, it just makes you feel an impulse to drink right before funny things are going to happen anyway! I'm such a fool, I should have realized when I felt the impulse to drink the Comed-Tea before Dumbledore's second speech, didn't drink it, and then choked on my own saliva instead - drinking the Comed-Tea doesn't cause the comedy, the comedy causes you to drink the Comed-Tea! I saw the two events were correlated and assumed the Comed-Tea had to be the cause and the comedy had to be the effect because I thought temporal order restrained causation and causal graphs had to be acyclic BUT IT ALL MAKES SENSE ONCE YOU DRAW THE CAUSAL ARROWS GOING BACKWARDS IN TIME!"

"Oh wad some power the giftie gie us

To see oursel's as others see us!

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,

And foolish notion -"

I loved all the above quotes immensely.

This was a simply wonderful chapter, and everything seems to be falling into place.

Your 13th reviewer,

Indi
Thenchick chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
omg
wolf550e chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I'll treat you breaking down and using difficult terminology as a 133t episode of your Sue. That's terminology from "A Sue's Story" by Resourceful-Idiot (/s/1811995/1/).
MogtheGnome chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This story has gone so far bizarrely down hill the last two chapters.

It's rather disappointing.
SkittleKick chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
...How could I forget the Time Turner? Just a few chapters ago you had Minnie comment on how they would deal with Harry's irregular sleeping pattern and I immediately thought "Time Turner, like with Hermione." I disappoint myself.
Adam Shea chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
While the Time Turner is not Turing Computable, it is Quantum Turing Computable. Thus things like the linear time password finding are doable and time hi-jinks such as this work.

The other option is that causality is preserved outside of time like in Card's Pastwatch book. I don't know how that works, but it would allow time travel as you present it here.

Thanks for the great story and the fast updates. I can't wait to see how you deal with the cloak and the "Deathly Hollows" namedrop.
everetza chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Awesome chapter. Explains it all, takes away the comed-tea rule the world theory and gives me more hope for the rest of the story. Update speed AWESOME. This seems to be getting better again, can't wait for next update. Oh and loved McGonagalls finding Harry's rants 'cute'!
Makurayami Ookami chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
well written.
alguLoD chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
In retrospect, the 'Mystery' was actually pretty damn obvious, especially as I had already guessed, long ago, when I first read about the sleeping disorder, that Harry would get a Time Turner.

Kinda stupid of me not to connect the dots, though.

Of the actual contents of the chapter itself, I don't have much to say. Same as before, it's still awesome, keep it up, I hope to see the next update soon etc. etc.
xyvortex chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
All better now... So he was pranking himself... interesting and enjoyable, though very off-putting last chapter before all was made known.

Can't wait for next chapter.
kdorian chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
A very enlightening chapter. Harry's gained some valuable knowledge - both on variations from the causal relationship he's always known, and in seeing himself from the outside.

Good things to know!

Very much looking forward to more.
DarkHeart81 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This chapter certainly cleared up questions from the last one. Harry using a time turner and his father's invisibility cloak never came to mind. I wonder who had the cloak? And I wonder if Harry will be asking for anyone's help in making himself 'normal.' Good chapter!
Hoshi Kawada chapter 14 . 4/11/2010

What a truly fantastic line!
Nefra chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Okay, so I suppose it's not *that* irresponsible to give him a Time-Turner, since he just proved that you can rely on him to at least try to avoid danger at all costs. I was mostly thinking that, while the teachers knew Hermione, McGonagall doesn't really know much about Harry now (and what she does know wouldn't inspire only trust, I'm afraid).

I really liked the interaction between them, by the way, and the "neat magical item as a quest reward" comment made me smile. And, of course, Harry's reaction to getting a time machine was priceless!

Since it's canon, I'll have to suppose that either Dumbledore lied in the book, and it wasn't him who gave Harry the Cloak back (but then, why didn't the other person write the same warnings in his note in the book?), or that he already got a rather good sense of who Harry Potter is, and wants him to have the facts and warn him again himself.

Telling Sprout before makes sense, and explain the "my fine student" line. I had wondered if maybe I'd gotten it all wrong and she was being sarcastic, or what he'd done in her class.

It's also very good for Harry to see the Neville scene from an outsider perspective, and to realize that he's not exactly what he thought.

- all mistakes are to be attributed to the fact that my mother language isn't English, but French -
hemotem chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
A prank on himself hehe. I do like how you think. I also look forward to seeing more of this in the future, such a great read.

Hemotem
Masked Critic chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
... I think you just broke my brain.
troyguffey chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Ah, NOW the previous chapter makes sense!

For some reason I NEVER CONSIDERED a Time-Turner and pranking himself!

From what Penny said, Hogwarts is MUCH weirder and more dangerous than we usually consider. Unless SHE'S having the firsties on.
Kumoatsu chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
you know he has one hour left on the time turner today, probably use it to get the cloak.
OfTheGreenwood chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
"You probably don't want to hear this, but it's quite endearingly cute."

Hard hat. NOW.

"They sound quite fascinating, even if they're all wrong."

Safe room. NOW. With an Uzi for good measure.

"There was something wrong with Harry Potter."

Actually, there's something delightfully, scarily right with Harry Potter. You should still arm yourself with a hard hat, though.
morriganscrow chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
At least Harry didn't say 'mimblewimble', or sound like a mouse being stepped on while he was with Minnie.

A fun, and readable chapter, that did make some sense of the previous one (thanks for that).
Furcas chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Ok, THIS chapter was brilliant, and officially raises the previous one's status to "good".
krazyfelinelover chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Great updates, I just keep laughing. Thanks
Lord Dragon Claw chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
CALLED IT!

Of course, there have been precedents of such in fanfics involving time-travel. But not ones that had self-solving paradoxes.
blahh blah chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Overall this 13-14 chapters were great, though they definitely lacked the psychological intensity of 10 or the dynamic of Draco-Harry and Harry-McGonagall dialogues.

I'm appalled that so many people think 13 is surreal in any sense. The word "surreal" shall be reserved to Dali, Burroughs, and the likes. Not providing instant, pre-cooked explanation makes not a chapter surreal by itself.
phoebe turner chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
amazing!
me chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I'm very proud to have guessed the origin of The Game. First puzzle of yours I was able to solve, actually. :D

I liked your take on the mystery of who sent the Invisibility Cloak. Now, who could it be...

Anyway, this was very good. Please, update soon.
MisterTabi chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Oh that was brilliant. Brilliantly executed and very well done! Your best yet, I'd say! Loved that bit with the whole paradox and the universe imploding due to inherent contradictions.
ejhawman chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Great humor, but feeling somewhat doubtful abut Harry getting his magic items early. Unnecessary to advance his power, he's pretty overpowered just being smarter.

Water under the bridge now. Had to laugh as he realized the implications of time travel in this universe. We all knew that was coming, though. Now he just gets to have fun with it...

Will you be mentioning Cho Chang anytime soon? No particular reason to, before her boyfriend get into the Triwizard Tournament, unless Harry's butterflies change things before then...

(I'm hoping this gets to the second year so that he can start interacting with Luna. Somehow I think her family's penchant for lateral thinking will work well with him..)

I've been wondering about Pettigrew. Ron has mentioned that Scabbers is buried in his backyard. Some possibilities come to mind:

1. Scabbers was just a rat; Pettigrew hid elsewhere.

2. Pettigrew was crushed beneath someone's heel, and unfortunate risk of having a small Animagus form.

3. Pettigrew was found out early: someone noticed Scabbers was living too long. Ron may or may not know. If he didn't know, his family may have hid it from him to protect his feelings - the rat buried in the yard may be a different rat, Pettigrew was packed off to Azkaban. If Ron does know, he gave Malfoy a quick-and-dirty answer because he isn't about to go into detail bout family matters with a Malfoy.

4. Animagi are advised not to make their animal forms too faithful, lest they suffer all the drawbacks: they would have the animal's intelligence and life expectancy. Those who study to become Animagi are warned to use their forms sparingly, lest they become trapped in them. Pettigrew may have fallen into this trap, feeling under pressure to stay in form for a long time while hiding out; or he may have been locked in his form.

This would also be a chance to do some damage to Rita Skeeter: after using her beetle form a handful of times to get juicy stories, she found herself aged decades...

Keep up the great work.
nxkris chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
well that certainly explains the last chapter. i love it. will harry end up using the time turner for studying mostly, or will it mainly be for pranking? update soon.
Violet Shadows chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Useful, but not terribly funny, excusing the small part with the whole time machine skit.
WaxWings chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Congratulations on continuing your fast paced updated rate. This has been another enjoyable chapter. I liked the part where Harry compares his situation to a game. He has completed his quest, and having declined the monetary reward if given a magic item. I wonder if this might inform his actions in the future. That is talk to everyone he meets, perform any favor that he is asked to do. He has already started to carry everything around with him.

Personally, I have always fond the self-consistent time travel model to be the most appealing. Rowling hinted that this was the case in her universe with time turner, and I am glad to see that you have adopted this model as well.

I find it interesting that Harry has already accidently discovered, if not recognised, the power of self consistent time travel. That is one is able to discover any information that is easily verifyable. Time Loop Logic.

As a basic example, he should now be able to discover any password. Say for example he wants to enter the headmaster's office but does not know the password. He looks into his pouch and finds a parchment with the password. He provides this password to the gargoyle. If the password is correct he passes, if it is not then he does not pass. The only self consitent password is the correct one, since he will not use the time turner to put the incorrect password into his pouch.

This example only deals with information and it seems very reasonable to me. I would be interested if he could also use the time turner to create objects in a stable time loop.

Say for example he needs a broom to fly up to ravenclaw tower. He asks his pouch for a broom, he receives it, then using the time turner places the same broom into his pouch so that it is available when he asks for it.
firedraygon chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Oh this is just BRILLIANT. I suspected, but only because I thought of Obliviate and no other reason for it, so things stopped making sense and I latched onto the twins. XD; If that didn't make any sense, that's okay - I'm trying to avoid leaving spoilers in reviews.

Excellent work. I just love how everything tied in so neatly at the end. Definitely looking forward to the next bit!

~fd97
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Excellent *again*! You're dealing well with the complications of a time travel - that "reverse causality" is a really, really fantastic way to simultaneously relieve problems and totally screw with your readers. And Harry's reactions were, once again, priceless. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next chapter! (Not that I'm asking for a fast update, I don't support the pestering of authors like that!)
Gabo 1602 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
BIG DRAMATIC MUSIC!
Dormant Account 24 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Ahh, I see now. Love time turners!
Ren-okami chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Well hat explains the game
Bobboky chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
very good
Thekilleregglord chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This was brilliant, I like how there are two plots progressing at the same time, the 'what do we make of magic' plot and the 'will Harry be evil' plot.

Also the time travel stuff was hilarious
Sin Piedad chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I'm not quite sure why I haven't read this fic before...At any rate, somehow you manage to be hilarious and perfectly serious at the same time. - I have the feeling my roommate thinks I'm crazy for randomly going into hysterics. :D

I *really* can't wait for the next chapter!

P.S. Harry kind of scares me sometimes...
erik chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Great update, even if the game made my brain hurt.
Kraavi chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Bloody brilliant mate! Well written editted and an amazing flow to insanity. Keep it up. I'd write more but my mind is still cranking to figure everthing out.
Jaxtopher chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
You are *awesome*. I cannot wait for the next installment. It's got reasonable time travel, hard science, and a journey of self discovery! It's...it's like it's really good.

WRITE MORE OF IT!
Deleted25 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Awesome story, and funny as hell. A question - if Harry didn't like how he was turning out, could he technically ask for a resort? Or is he stuck in Ravenclaw for the rest of his school life. And please don't make him overbearingly evil! At least, not Voldemort style. Maybe a little bit of Severus evil. But nothing more than that. Though, it is your story, so technically I don't have any say, but still!

~ Hyper
deitarionSSokolow chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I still think your attempt to make the reader feel Harry's confusion fell a bit flat, but aside from that, my confidence in your skill is restored.

Great chapter.
Nargus chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
*chuckles* and so the young Hero have gained two magical items after going through his first quest at the new Town, gotten himself some Exp and some more clues to the Main Quest along the way~
TegwenielWestwind chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Interesting chapter. Hopefully he'll stop fighting the illogic of temporal causality and simply put forth a rationalistic, scientific method of inquiry into understanding the observations, rather than forcing the observations to fit obscure hypotheses.

Also, in case the url was removed from my PM, here's the encoded url for the guidelines of .

.net (slash) guidelines (slash)

/guidelines/
RatherFabulous chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This fic is a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to subsequent installments! (Ooh, paraphrasticization makes me sound smart!)

I'm contstantly being shushed by my kids when we watch movies because I suffer from a nasty, itchy case of empiricism and the willing suspension of disbelief necessary to watch a lot of live-action movies often requires a glass of wine to help it along.

Fantasy is so much easier to enjoy because most of it isn't SUPPOSED to be possible under any known circumstances.

(Okay, I do realize that trying to define the world from a strictly empirical standpoint is absolutely ridiculous and that just because something can't literally bite me on my literal butt doesn't mean it won't do it figuratively just to prove a point. I have some BAD mental habits.)

Gah. Now I feel all ignernt. (What, again?)

Need new chapter. Ook.

So, does this mean that ol' Tom Riddle will have some way of twisting the fabric of existence that will fry our rational protagonist's logic? This 'verse version has gotta be bigger 'n badder, after all. Maybe Harry will acquire the Whomping Stick of Causality - oh, wait. That's the Elder Wand. Never mind...
PeanutTree chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Ooh, I read that last bit a couple of times because it was so chilling. And, yeah, the Time Turner thing? Not even going to go into that. Couldn't have seen that coming if I was Dumbledore.
jamester56 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Oh no! Something wrong with harry potter! What ever shall we do?

I suppose I'll have to wait and find out then, won't I?
AiSard chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
wow, i love that last line. theres just something about Harry refering to himself as Harry Potter and admitting that somethings wrong with him (self) thats all dramatic and punch in the gut kind of feeling.. although i had to google the poem to make sense of the 3-4 lines. Confusing though of who gave Harry the Cloak, according to canon we assumed that Dumbledore was the one who gave Harry the cloak. and also that it was to Dumbledore that James Potter gave the Cloak to study. and unless its written somewhere that Dumbledore comes out and says so .. which he could have done but i cant remember.. it is in the realm of possibility that someone else gave Harry the cloak, and revised the note due to seeing the nature of Harry and due to events that have quickened the need to give it to Harry. Or u broke canon? cuz otherwise it just doesnt make sense how the giver of the cloak refers to himself as the person James Potter lent the cloak to /and/ refers to Dumbledore not knowing about the the Cloak being a Hollow, implicitly showing his own knowledge of the fact. mm..

as for the whole rant on the nature of reality and cause-and-effect it seemed a tiny bit overblown in regards to Harry's reaction (and i really do just mean a tiny bit, this is Rational!Harry after all) until i realized that, after some introspection, i don't adhere to the totality of cause-and-effect as Rational!Enlightenment!Harry does but rather that Time is an illusion and what not, making the procession of cause-and-effect more of a fixed duality that we humans can only perceive of as a procession. which Harry kind of figures out at the end and short circuits his brain as that pretty much means some things cant be figured out or something. was totally lost on the whole E. bit though ...ok, the more i try to understand this the more i confuse myself ~_~ so meh p

anyways, love the fic and the whole AN in the profile thing is really annoying as.. well, its annoying basically.. ~_~ ok, update soon yo
Katamabob chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
He IS rather weird.

I did suspect for quite a while that he had done all that to himself, but I thought he woke up early and then obliviated himself. This makes a lot more sense, considering the pie incident. I like that he also tipped off Professor Sprout.

I love McGonagall, she's amazing. And Harry's rant about the time-turner was hilarious - they always confused me too! He just has a better vocabulary than me to express it _

But what's with the invisibility cloak thing? I thought Dumbldore was the one who had it... so why did it say 'don't tell Dumbledore'? That makes no sense. And if Dumbledore didn't have it, who did?

Kate
The French Dark Lord chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
That was priceless!
iota0000 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Epic. That is all.

Nice to see that I made the right guess, and I must agree, that would likely be my first impulse on acquiring a time machine without previous knowledge that I was going to do so (I mean you can do anything else at anytime, provided you have unlimited uses as the time-turners seem to, but you only lack the knowledge of it yourself the first time around). Also nice that you limit the time turners so that they are of common use but not as brokenly powerful as they are often seen as in fanfiction.

I await more. :3
voider chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I always thought something similar of the timeturners... that their result is actually what results after n (n approaches infinite) loops.

Each loop, the timeline changes... refining itself. After many many many loops, the timelins becomes more and more "stable" ... until, it is perfect and the loop is broken.

You could have Harry test this by going into the past, and leaving a note with a number to his past self. Each time he uses the timeturner, the number increments.

This is something easily testable, and someone like your Harry would really think to test it.
Me chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I agree with the reviewer called Taure when he/she says "Maybe Harry Potter is the only person who is right, and everyone else is lacking."

Being different from others is not necessarily wrong.
Allen Pitt chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Brilliant use of totally in-canon plot devices to get a really weird storyline. Congrats. And a new mystery-who had the cloak, if not Dumbledore? Had to be someone who knew James P AND what he got up to with it. I suspect Remus Lupin.

Something wrong with HP? Probably the influence of the horcrux of V's that he's got in him. Has to have SOME effect, after all.

*Nice to also earlier see that V. is more pro-active using Quirrell than in the books.
ImUpToNoGood chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Wow! Back on track, if there is such a thing as a track.

And poor Harry... Some power, the giftie gie us indeed.

I delight in the prank, now that I see it from the other side.

I delight in Harry's sense of the obvious.

I delight in seeing Harry's mind blown, all his assumptions exploding in front of his eyes.

Oh, well done.
shiro-wolfman-k chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
At least we know how the comed-tea finally works, and among other things, Harry need to lear that, he is in fact, in an different world, when the rules of "common world," seems to not work, or be considered.

The chapter was, at least, entertaining, I am not a wise or the type that like to solve some problems, yes, I am ignorant of so much in this world, but that, is human life, nobody CAN really know about everything, it's simplily imposible, and All our knowledge is oftenly, Biased by our opinions and views, closing some knowledge to be adquired, just because our biase.

Well, again, thank you for the story.
E.A.V chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
{There was something wrong with Harry Potter.}

Great chapter!

I like your solution to the time travel causality equation!
The Sinful chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Still rather surreal, even after explanation
BenRG chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
A particularly interesting pair of chapters (I'm reviewing them together as, in retrospect, they are actually one continuous tale). It is very interesting to see how the Invisibility Cloak and the Time Turner worked together to make chapter 13 possible.

Harry's response to the Time Turner was nicely in-character. One thing that he failed to realise (and he really needs to work on his common sense) is that if there were fundamental operating problems like the time/antimatter effect, it is unlikely that anyone would have one to give to him.

You know, this is a real eye-opening moment for Harry. The realisation (that many quantum physicists are only now beginning to accept) that certain aspects of the universe's mechanics may be fundamentally incomprehensible to the human mind, frees him in many ways. So long as he can chart the effects, he should be able to at least come up with working hypothesis on how to cause them, even if the precise mechanics are unknowable.

Nice job all around.

I'm still waiting to see his response to the Troll. ;)

BenRG's Rating: 8/10
Gogolu chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I guessed last chapter but it was nice to see it unfold.
Taure chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I don't see why you insist on calling being better than everyone else "wrong". Maybe Harry Potter is the only person who is right, and everyone else is lacking?
Nongarak chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Oh no! Something wrong with Harry Potter? I wonder what it could be!

Anyways, this was a rather enlightening chapter. The thought that Harry might be the game master did creep into my mind, but I banished the thought. I suppose I was wrong! Well done, anyways. I'm going through some of those Less Wrong sequences, and I must say they are very interesting! Thank you for linking to them.
KGB chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Nice chapter, nice reaction to his own personal time machine. I'd like to see him explain that one to his father. Besides that, I must say that Harry has remarkable aim, most people would miss the throw. Then again, he has done this again and again till it worked just right. Even if he doesn't have the actual memories, he has perfected the 'game' through infinite loops. Each time he changes something, his 'not yet travelled self' would react a bit different till he couldn't and didn't try to change anything.

Did you get Harry's Comed-Tea idea from kajlima's review? Harry doesn't know for sure now if that's how it works, it's only a theory. He would have to try his experiment of changing his own sense of humour, to try and falsify his new theory.
Luciun Weasley-Ogg chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
wow this a truly amzing story i love it my only worry is i hope theres no Snape bashing to come as this is what seems to happen in most clever Harry fics.
hizmit12-waterlilly3721 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I read the reviews for the last chapter, and I was wondering why they bothered reading this story. My first rule of fanfiction, let the author write their story. Second rule of fanfiction, the author ALWAYS has a reason.

This sounds somewhat bias, but those people truly annoyed me.
yog chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Where there is no visualization, there is math. Weren't time-travel (Closed timelike curve) mathematically suggested by Kurt Gödel? Time-turners fit very nicely in his solution. HOW they work is unknown, but theoretical principle of their work exists.

So there is no "prospect of a mystery that was threatening to be permanent". But then again, Harry is not perfect and all-knowing, is he?

P.S. Great story. Really great story. Please continue.
Darth Drafter chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
My can of Serious-Tea prevented me from reviewing last chapter. And now I can see why. One could speculate in hindsight that these two chapters were really just one chapter split at the WTF seam, but time itself does not appear to allow such revisions in real life. Or does it? No, don't answer that unless you already did in my future in your past.
Heidinanookie chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
ohm I'm so thankful for this update! I've gotten a grip of myself again since yesterday evening and I really needed that distraction from my work. It's so sweet of Harry when he comes to McGonagall to tell her about the Sorting Hat and she's all "WTF" and he says (kindly) "It's obvious if you're not a Gryffindor." lol.

omg, I'm having the time of my life here. Thank you so much!

And great to know that Harry realized he has to work on himself. Now everything's going to get better :)

Can't wait for the next part!

heidi
jdboss1 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
fantastic to updates on the same day fantastic fantastic fantastic I just hope you have some Hermione interaction in the next chapter

Hank spoilt the suppliers by reading some reviews that gave it a way that he would be using a time machine

I may not understand none of the science your harry rants about but her love it just the same like Doctor Who

on the way that letter was written I would still put my money on

the headmaster possessing it or Remus Lupin
JessMusicNote chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
- holds head in pain - The science is giving me a headache there is something wrong with Harry indeed are you a scientist or something like that. Great story though.

Sololight.
OrionTheHunter chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I wasn't sure what I thought about the last chapter. Of course, I did the stupid thing and ignored the part where Harry had the note from himself, complete with correct code phrases to be sure it was from himself. I sure thought "Harry wouldn't play a prank like this on himself!"

Well done. Thanks for writing.
Peanuckle chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Marvelous updates. Time travel wreaks all sorts of havoc on the mind, but the idea that the universe cross-checks itself is a pretty interesting solution. Although, that implies that the universe is acting on some level of intelligence or programming.

Of course, this is all just for going back in time. Going into the future would suggest all sorts of wacky things like the absence of free will.
Sarah chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
T_T Psh, there isn't anything wrong with Harry. :c

His "I'm the boy who lived" was... completely reasonable for an 11 year old. Thats why I like your story so much. Yes, he's super smart, quasi genius, but you still write him as his age. Which I respect.

But, err, well self-enlightenment is good - I'm just.. I just don't want to see you rush him into 'growing up'. But so far you've proved a good writer, so you'll probably do it at a reasonable pace/understand where he's coming from.

I enjoyed this chapter. Who had the cloak then? Flamel? He liked to study things, and could have been in the castle. Some random unknown?
ARedHair chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I loved Harry's reaction to the time tuner!

I'm curious about the change in the gift of the cloak. Wondering if you really changed who had it or you've got another game up your sleeve.
NORGCO chapter 14 . 4/11/2010

Ah wizard world priorities. It's scary how well Hermione "We could get killed, or even worse expelled!" Granger's type of reasoning fits in with these people.

Never mind you could wipe out a timeline, trap Hogwarts in a loop of repeating Thursdays or for that matter erase Scotland from the map and cause an ice age with the dust in the upper atmosphere reflecting light, heat etc, NO someone might change their test scores.

Love it, made my morning. Looking forward to more asap.
gg chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I wonder if Harry could deduce that he is a book character (that is, a simulation inside the writers mind), based on the fact that the world he's living in doesn't make any sense whatsoever. In this chapter, he came pretty close.

Loving the fic so far. True, chapter 13 was kinda confusing, but now it's all clear again.
AngelForm chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Nice to be proved right.

Interesting twist with the cloak.

Cant wait to see Harry experiment with the turner.

Can he be in seven places at once?

What happens is he doesn’t do something that already happened?

Is the six hour limit spread over the number of users?
Aealket chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Thank you for this update.

It cleared up several questions I had. The previous chapter makes a bit more sense now. And it was a grand prank.

Alan
Innortal chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Well done.
jojobevco chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
And now, it is all explained, and now, I feel so stupid! Great Chapter
Meneldur chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I pretty much expected this chapter, so I don't know what to say. It was well-written, but I didn't feel it was that exciting or interesting, except the parts I will mention below.

There wasn't much new information and mysteries intoduced to us in these chapters. Although as McGonagall said, Harry's reaction to the impossible was quite cute. He really should read The Black Swan - then he wouldn't be so surprised. Of course, it will only be published in about 15 years, so...

The truth of the Comed-Tea was also very nice. Too bad he couldn't take over the world with it, but at least he has peace of mind, right?

Was this sentence 'Realization struck Harry the second pile-driver' referring to the fact that he realized he had made himself play the game using the Time-Turner? Because if so, it wasn't that clear, and (I think) should be made clearer.

What Neville said... I just don't know. It was quite harsh, but true. What does it mean? That is perhaps the only question these chapters raised in me. Besides which, 'cool' is not neccisarily a good attribute... it may be a simple stereotype, but it is believed that the cool kids are also the one who feel that because of this, they can make fun of other people.

Oh, the other question raised was who gave him the gift, but since you're leaving canon here, I can surely rule out Dumbledore (he is referred to in the letter, after all - unless this is deliberate misdirection, of course). The most likely canidate then becomes McGonagall, from both the tone, the ability to do so, and what seems to be private knowledge of the Gryffindors of James' time.

until the next chapter, Meneldur.
karekid2004 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
ok i think the last chapter makes sense now when you put it with this one

great chapter

cant wait for more
JamesTKent chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Interesting - between Harry finding his own perceptions of causality threatened, and seeing his own actions from without, he's becoming a very different person.

Nicely handled!
lilyoftheval5 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Well I thought you had gone off the deep end with the previous chapter but it's thankfully all clear now.

Congratulations on a magnificient prank.
Baughn chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
What a good thing he can see it from the outside, then. But no horcrux, so.. hm.

Also, nice try, but no dice. Consistent time-travel is *not* incompatible with turing machines. You should (probably do) know this already, but all the computer needs to do is to compute every possible branch of the universe, and abort each branch the moment an inconsistency shows up.

See? No inconsistencies visible.

Though I don't think I'd want to live there.
Arkeus chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
ahah :-)

Excellent chapter.
Kaerion chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
This is definitely turning out to be one of the most bizarre and absurd fics I can ever remember reading, which shouldn't be all that surprising, since it's also one of the most original.

You're doing a wonderful job so far, and while I'm sure I won't be able to stop myself from trying to figure out what will happen next, I'm even more sure that I'll only rarely (if ever) be right.

As far as criticism goes, the only thing that comes to mind is to say that you should consider dropping any future omake-only chapters, since I think it did more harm than good, but I'll obviously leave the decision up to your highly deranged and unusual (but still clearly competent) mind. :)

So thank you for writing and sharing this story, and keep up the great work!
tatewaki2000 chapter 14 . 4/11/2010

Huzzah!
PBrules chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Brilliant stuff:)

I had faith that it would all come good and make sense and it did! I know you had a lot of people saying they were confused at your last chapter but I personally thought it was one of your very best.

Well done :)
Baen chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
I must say, I am loving this fanfic. Beyond a wand and sufficient quantity of spell books, the time turner is by far my most coveted item from the entirety of the HP universe. When it was introduced in canon I had a very MoR Harry reaction, with more focus on the ridiculousness of time travel in the hands of kids rather than the scientific aspect. Regardless, I have been expecting it to show up ever since you mentioned Harry's sleep problem and McGonagall hinting at a solution. Hence I found the previous chapter enjoyable rather than confusing, but I can see how some might be irritated. I say keep up with what you have been doing, tell the story you want to and don't pander to the audience except when they are right:P
shenmi meiren chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
it's obvious if you're not a gryfindor
Zicou chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
yey an other awesome chapter!

Continue,

z.
Pusakuronu chapter 14 . 4/11/2010
Oh, now everything becomes clear. Great work! I laughed out loud at the whole reaction to the time turner, and once again at his assessment of the Ministry.