Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Love the Bible reference at the end.
Jhuffy chapter 15 . 5/19
Oh, I love McGonagall! I love the way she interfered with Harry and Hermione's war and her class was fascinating.
ack1308 chapter 15 . 4/6
Harry vs Hermione. It's on.
Winter6200 chapter 15 . 3/11
What would happen if you transfigured one type of food into another or something like that?
SnuggleKitten69 chapter 15 . 3/11
I loved it!
myafroatemydog chapter 15 . 3/7
Great chap
ivyriry chapter 15 . 1/1
No se que piensa McGonagall pero esto me suena a venganza. Aunque no entiendo del todo porque la competitividad.
Bookshelflover394 chapter 15 . 11/13/2016
Okay i just have to say that this is blowing my mind. And i love this story now, but i am SO excited to come back and read this after i have attended university and actually fully understand what is going on :0
Also, damn how do you use such high levels of reasoning and manage to flawlessly put them into a story without making plot hole or making the story boring? Im impressed.
Ronden Kiagre chapter 15 . 11/2/2016
So wait, did McGonagall use a charm to transfigure the desk into a pig because otherwise she would have had to break the no gas or liquids rule. She must have transfigured air inside it's lungs which it would then exhale. Otherwise it's lungs would have simultaneously imploded (though not nearly as spectacularly as I'm sure Hollywood might imagine) and flooded with blood, at least some of which (and most likely a lot of which) would have made it out through the mouth. And even ignoring that particularly messy scenario, what if it drools, sweats, urinate or defacates? Or even gets a papercut? Or sheds dandruff or hair?
Daziy is SoniQ chapter 15 . 10/23/2016
Why did McGonnagal only questioned Harry and never the other students?
Rambling Drabble chapter 15 . 9/21/2016
Oooh, this chapter is rapped up in a neat little bow what with that last sentence, isn't it? I still love reading through these early chapters, when things are so much simpler. It's like the opposite of my other favorite fic, the one that gets me emotionally. Similar to how that one makes terrible things seem like days in the park compared to what happens as the story continues, the tricks of time and transfiguration RIGHT NOW are child's play compared to what happens later.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 15 . 9/15/2016
This was a very interesting class.
asingh123 chapter 15 . 9/4/2016
I read a lot abt this story, and was floored at the number of comments...,

and now I just can't go ahead... Maybe it is just me... But this Harry is more like a Muggle Scientist with the attitude of somebody who is deeply an epitomy of 'PUREBLOOD' elitist... Arrogant, Snobbish, Close minded(which bye the way isn't a good characteristic for any scientist) holier than thou...

Hermione on the other hand is typical 'Rival who is better at doing things and is competitive, but somehow will finally remain behind you'... Oh and did i say... "Overpowered Much..."
sunset oasis chapter 15 . 9/2/2016
Absolutely love the part about Hermione challenging Harry ... total war. And she batted her eyelashes ... I'm in love with your version of Hermione. So much.
Littwink chapter 15 . 8/27/2016
Now that is how the first transfiguration class should have gone. Of course, the basis for several instances in Canon would turn it obsolete, but I've never thought of the actual connotations of J.K. Rowling's version of magic, which seems to have been formed without any forethought. Of course, J.K.R. Is neither a scientist nor a philosopher, so... Just, wow. You've changed my conception on Transfiguration theory. I shall not even delve into your quote from E.T. Jaynes...
Happy chapter 15 . 5/23/2016
Firstly kids... Meddling professor...
TheLittleRoguex chapter 15 . 5/15/2016
Lovely
Will chapter 15 . 5/2/2016
Although not directly the same, this implies that the metamorphoisis of petunia by lily should not have been possible, or permanent. Great series though, have come back to it several times
LazuriteSix chapter 15 . 3/22/2016
Ok, I'm not very far into this yet, and I'm already hoping for the sequel where Harry goes to Unseen University after Hogwarts.
Guest chapter 15 . 3/12/2016
You can't divide by zero!
SirMandokarla chapter 15 . 2/21/2016
Re-reading this chapter, specifically, "I wonder how long it will take before Miss Granger does something deserving of a dinnertime announcement?" That took on whole new connotations later.
Met parso chapter 15 . 2/15/2016
This is getting really confusing now!
mayingying chapter 15 . 2/9/2016
作者对赫敏太优待了,以至于我比较烦她。不得不强行抑制住对赫敏的厌烦,才能继续读下去…不是主角的话,太好强的小伙伴会让读者不开心啊…
Nixus-Hiver chapter 15 . 1/21/2016
Fuck you.
Montara chapter 15 . 1/21/2016
A war between Hermione and Harry...so competitive!
Guest chapter 15 . 1/5/2016
Im srry but i REALLY dont like ur harry so im dropping this story.
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 15 . 12/6/2015
I love the explanation of transfiguration here, it closes the annoying plot holes in the books. I can see Harry having so much fun with it once he masters it. His war with Hermione will also be incredibly entertaining to watch unfold. Though it's a pity he's not taking the chance to be friends with someone just as smart as he is, he needs friends.
The Anguished One chapter 15 . 12/1/2015
I'm very pleased that Harry isn't amazing at magic the first attempts. Despite being smarter, he still doesn't have any experience with magic. The little rivalry between him and Hermione is amusing, and having Professor McGonagall meddle with their "war" is hilarious.
John D. Harrison chapter 15 . 11/8/2015
"what's eight, times four, divided by zero?"
...A simple look at elementary school textbooks teaching division will tell you that, unfortunately, you can't divide by zero.

"The Greek lowercase epsilon ε, the lunate epsilon symbol ϵ, or the Latin lowercase epsilon ɛ (see above) is used as the symbol for: In mathematics (particularly calculus), an arbitrarily small positive quantity is commonly denoted ε; see (ε, δ)-definition of limit."

Other than that, good work!
Crack-jouchan chapter 15 . 11/8/2015
Even if Ms McGonagall doesn't realise it, I think she's already been infected by Harry's insanity! xD Canon her was no where as fun as this!

I find it hilarious how she's learnt to pretty much take his... rather unique mannerisms in stride.

And war! Ahahahaha! Point-based war between Harry and Hermione! This is hilarious! xD and everyone is just staring at them going like 'oooooh' in their heads.
ShadowLDrago chapter 15 . 10/14/2015
And my head hurts even more now, also, Bugs Bunny reference.
Boom chapter 15 . 10/10/2015
His motivations are confusing me it's sometimes glory and sometimes the pursuit of knowledge simply for the sake of it.
Good chapter 15 . 10/2/2015
Is good.
P. P. P chapter 15 . 9/12/2015
lol, though I hope that they are still able to be friends despite their "war" that they started.
Hiyoshi Ren chapter 15 . 9/9/2015
*face palm
pixelherodev chapter 15 . 8/16/2015
#include SFML/Graphics.g

int main(){
/*init window etc.*/

(sf::Text("C RULES!\n\n\nPlus Jewish Halacha does in fact say that the beginning of the day is at sunset (I know this for a fact, My bar mitzvah was last year)"),0,0);

/*event loop, close on X, etc.*/
}
return 0;
}

Ok, I'll just put this as a regular message.

C RULES! (except for platform independence, garbage collecting, etc. where JAVA RULES!)

Jewish Halacha does say that a day begins at sunset (I know for a fact, my bar mitzvah was last year).

And this is by far one of the best (and funniest) stories here. I mean, most stories are either less than 10,000 words, the quadratic equation (in LibreOffice Math) is {-b-sqrt(b2-4ac)}over{2a}, that was completely off topic, I am the only person in my school who prefers Linux Debian over both Windows (except possibly Window 7) and Mac (still off topic), I acquired a Windows XP computer last week, and immediately turned it into Debian Jessie w/ LXDE, Java, g, eclipse-jdt, vlc, LibreOffice, alsa, and 10,000 other packages, or they are essentially the same as other stories, they are completely unbelievable (I don't mean magic wise, that's never believable; I'm talking about Draco and Ginny going out. Seriously, I'm pretty sure the author missed the whole "I'm going to kill you!" part), or some other annoying thing.

In case you're wondering, I have ADD, and I'm sending this through Ice-weasel on the Debian computer using the Wicd network manager. I'm also simultaneously sending an email, listening to Party in the CIA (Weird Al's parody of Crap (in my opinion; it's actually called Party in the USA)), attempting to create an OpenGL 2.0 emulator using OpenGL 1.3, creating a LibGDX game, playing 2048.c, and reading chapter 16).

Funniest quotes so far:

"Sorting Hat: Headmaster!

Dumbledore: What?

Sorting Hat: Not you, I was sorting Harry where he belongs: the Headmaster's office!"

"Sorting Hat: Slytherin!

/*CHAOS takes over!*/

Sorting Hat: Just kidding!"

And a few others.

Just out of curiosity, do you use C or C (Obviously I noticed your include standard disclaimer preprocessor directive)

-Developer of the games Pixel World as well as Waiting Hero
Zyxis chapter 15 . 8/12/2015
HARRY MIGHT ACTUALLY RIVAL HERMIONE. XD No one ever does that. They either make it so one is way too smart and the other is dumb or they make them equals, but a Rivalry, a real one, sounds awesome.
Dan chapter 15 . 7/26/2015
Started reading at 10pm, it is now 3am. Let me sleep!
8734287934379342879erw87952587 chapter 15 . 7/13/2015
I AM SHRIEKING WITH MADNESS

- Manny (You can find me on tumblr at asexualtomriddle.)
Angelfirenze chapter 15 . 7/3/2015
You are an evil genius. *absolutely delighted at everything that happened this chapter*
Max chapter 15 . 5/17/2015
This is the best book
PA chapter 15 . 5/16/2015
Mohammad.Alzo chapter 15 . 3/30/2015
Little bit of informations, Muslims also consider sunset to be a new day.
Concolor44 chapter 15 . 3/26/2015
And a most intriguing and delicious little war it will be, I am sure.
Village-Mystic chapter 15 . 3/21/2015
I'm glad that Minerva is responding to stress with humor and actually doing some parent-like discipline-for-smart-kids with Harry.
AvidReader chapter 15 . 3/15/2015
'Complete' at last, I'm starting to reread the great Magnum Opus. :-)

Minnie's tirade on transfiguration of liquids and gases led to several interesting thoughts. It should generally be safe to transfigure non-toxic liquids and gasses into other non-toxic liquids and gasses and, similarly, to carefully transfigure foods (using low power so they revert after consumption but fairly early in the process of digestion).

Why would one do so? Transfigure water into, for example, Hot Cocoa and it will not only taste much better but the reverted sugars will no longer have an adverse affect on weight or health. Similar transfiguration of healthy, but bland, foods into something tastier would also make sense. This would be an excellent way to increase demand for things like tofu. ( tofu minion, anyone? :-)
hisnhers chapter 15 . 3/15/2015
wow. So, um... McGonagall is down right scary.

I heard back from the lawyers. They said something about free will and choosing to go to ffn and choosing your fic and choosing to start reading it and then something really insane about responsibility for my own actions in choosing to do all of the above... I mean, really, have you ever heard of such nonsense? xD

I am sooooooo enjoying this fic!

-his
4everfictional chapter 15 . 3/13/2015
Let the games begin. ;)
DeNarr chapter 15 . 2/19/2015
Wow, I know that at this point anyone who's read the story knows not to trust the Defense teacher, but McGonagall ripping into him specifically seems quite off.
dlr chapter 15 . 1/13/2015
Well, I've got to say, this fanfic is WAY BETTER than the original book. Bravo.
philharmony chapter 15 . 12/29/2014
The competition between Hermione and Harry is particularly brilliant. I feel so flat for having expected them to automatically become fast friends.
TheButterflyComposer chapter 15 . 12/24/2014
So...what's the point of transfiguration then? Why would anyone devote that much time to a branch of magic that is basically only capable of killing?
The amount of times this must happen accidentally or as a stupid prank (or hell, an adult wizard being drunk or high) means the majority of the Healers in St Mungo's must be cursing McGonagal's name...
Corey chapter 15 . 12/15/2014
This is the first time in far too long that I have found it almost impossible to stop reading something. This is the best fanfic I've ever read. Well done!
IV Legacy of Poseidon chapter 15 . 12/7/2014
the war begins.
camilaus chapter 15 . 11/30/2014
Harmoine and harry lol
Chieko-san chapter 15 . 11/19/2014
This story is absolutely delicious, one of the best I've sunk my teeth into so far. It's a joy to read and I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy every word of it to come
N. E. Person chapter 15 . 11/9/2014
Oh, yes... :)
kimchi759 chapter 15 . 11/3/2014
I suppose Tonks will be left out of this story, then?
YlvaThorgalsdottir chapter 15 . 10/20/2014
Wouldn't this doom the pig?
Bushwah chapter 15 . 10/9/2014
Friendly reminder that "gypped" incorporates an ethnic slur (g*psy) and relies on an offensive stereotype of the Romani people.
MeiPhantomhive chapter 15 . 9/18/2014
This is gonna be FUN.
Sue Clover chapter 15 . 9/3/2014
Now that seemed a proper explanation of Transfiguration, and of its dangers. I don't think JK really touched on that much. It was fascinating. And McGonagall is evil.
Lacemaker chapter 15 . 8/31/2014
Bible reference, cool.

I really cannot understate how compelling it is to read this story. I can't. It's magnificent. I know sometimes what I type into this half-broken computer box comes across as sarcastic, so let me make it absolutely clear that I am being utterly sincere. This is fantastic, and I do not under any circumstances want to stop.

But while the mind is willing, the flesh is weak, and it's like 5 in the morning and my head is pounding and I can barely read the words I'm typing so I apologize, in the morning I may find some flaw in this and have to edit it, but this story is great. Really great. Thank you.

Good night(morning?)
KG86 chapter 15 . 8/30/2014
I have come to confess, I first started reading and did not completely liked what I read, so I continued to chapter 3 so as to have a firm basis on turning away from this fic. I find it somehow amusing what all situations Harry seems to find himself in, and I do like how you portray Mcgonagall, so theres that. Then I thought, lets give it a few more chapters, so I can pinpoint exactly what it is I do not like about it...but now having arrived on chapter 15, I no longer have an answer for that as your story has completely won me over. (yes, i rambled a bit, sorry, i seem to do that a lot)

I am looking forward to reading all of your story, though i might have to break it down to a few days so as not to neglect something called Real Life (ugh, not worth mentioning)

I really love McGonagall. All to say: Enjoying it!

E
thepkrmgc chapter 15 . 7/30/2014
I cant wait to see what harry and hermionie get up to in their brain war: its the ultimate showdown between hard work and logic
Foxy-Floof chapter 15 . 7/3/2014
Oh my goodness gracious.
This is... complicated. But then, my brain is relatively warped and continually warping further... So perhaps I'm just too under-educated at this time to fully appreciate what just happened in the last 400 words of this chapter?
Jerome chapter 15 . 6/28/2014
I'm no math genius, but I'm 90% sure that the limit of 8*4/x as x approaches 0 is positive infinity. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 15 . 6/15/2014
So many rules ... actually makes sense though
WHY chapter 15 . 6/1/2014
Gee I wonder what Hermione will do to earn a dinner time anouncement...fuck you
eddyozman chapter 15 . 5/29/2014
Sorry that my first comment is a negative one. I just had to mention that, in an earlier chapter when Harry was talking with Draco at the station, he used the Imperius curse as an example to argue his point. It struck me as odd that he would know anything about the forbidden curses at that point in the story, but then I explained it by thinking that he must have done some reading around in his schoolbooks. But in this chapter, you specifically mention that he hasn't read them... So how does he know?

Again, apologies that this is a negative point. I think that overall this has been excellent and I laughed out loud in a couple of places already. It's first fanfic I've read, if they're all this good, maybe I'll look for more. I was directed here by one of the comment threads on a tor blog: blogs/2014/05/none-of-us-would-survive-one-day-at-hogwarts-school-of-witchcraft-and-wizardry#more

Thanks.
A chapter 15 . 5/22/2014
Enjoying the twists
Kaioo chapter 15 . 2/27/2014
okay.. I'm only just at the bit about Harry being down with all the muggle-raised.. but how the fudge is Hermione TOP? She.. wh.. ju.. ugh..
Harlequin de Rustre chapter 15 . 2/23/2014
You always seem to write yourself into a corner with these chapters. Seems pretty inexplicable how you seem to find new and wholly extraneous details to add on later, which has no clear precedence or reason to be there.

I know you're trying to write a story with creativity and thus have various ideas in mind, but I noticed that tone has turned hard on its ear and the story no longer has a clear direction. The drive doesn't hold over from chapters, even with softcore cliffhangers to bridge them.
Just Curious chapter 15 . 2/23/2014
Is "Love as thou Rowling" a reference to Kushiel's Dart?
Wolf vs Bunny chapter 15 . 2/15/2014
SUPER! DUPER! BRILLLLLLLIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNTTTTTTTTT!
Vampires2rocks chapter 15 . 2/6/2014
...I'm confused. But that's what's keeping me attached to the story at the moment.

Vamp
Grizzmon chapter 15 . 1/13/2014
And so the war begins! And of course, Harry cheats!
Makokam chapter 15 . 1/7/2014
I have to admit, I'm didn't follow the explanation of why you don't transfigure yourself unless you want /very bad things/ to happen to you.

In fact, I was so lost there that I forgot whatever else it was that I wanted to talk about.

I do like your depiction of Hermione at lest. She's interesting. It almost sounds like flirting.
567zoock67 chapter 15 . 11/9/2013
Interesting chapter, I love that you fleshed out the details of the transfiguration lesson, for I've always wanted to know more about Transfiguration and Charms while reading the books, as they certainly seemed very interesting. I thought you had Mcgonagal in character throughout the scene, and the points that she brings up about the dangers of Transfiguration were really interesting. They make sense, and I can actually imagine this happening in the books!

As for Hermione and Harry's war, I'm interested to see how that goes. I reckon Mcgonagal giving Harry points and what not, as her trying to motivate Hermione and irritate her, so she'd try harder, because Mcgonagal probably believes Hermione has the capability to overcome that and triumph Harry. And strangely I want to see that, the Harry in this story is realistic as a character, and one of his flaws would be his anger/arrogance, something which I'd love to see taken down my Hermione!
willam and jack and jake chapter 15 . 10/24/2013
lol
Regal Pumpkin chapter 15 . 10/21/2013
Is this what kids at Battle School read?
Iryerris chapter 15 . 10/6/2013
And Hermione, due to the fame of Harry, will be known forever as Harry Potter's academic rival.

I'd imagine they'd be married when they grow up.
Pavel.Fr chapter 15 . 8/1/2013
I loved Professor McGonagall's interference and her lecture made me really curious as to what Lily did to Petunia and how she made it work.
Netchka chapter 15 . 7/31/2013
Those two are having fun, aren't they? :-)
Hadrian Uzumaki chapter 15 . 7/27/2013
Ive read through you're first 15 chapters and found myself quite flummoxed with the entire story.
It very much reads like a crack fic with a plot thrown in somewhere which is not a criticism, merely an observation and I must say that you have left completely confused whether i even like the fic or not.
It is definitely one of the most unique stories I have seen on this site.
Sojurnsts chapter 15 . 7/26/2013
This story is too dangerously addicting. I can't even imagine a spoiler-free synopsis to explain it. I found this story by searching one's favorites sorted by reviews, and the reviews were well earned.
NaturallyCreated chapter 15 . 7/19/2013
AND THE FIGHT BEGINS
Guest chapter 15 . 7/4/2013
Adding to previous review:

Professor McGonagall shook her head. "Mr. Potter, even inanimate objects undergo small internal changes over time. There would be no visible changes to your body afterwards, and for the first minute, you would notice nothing wrong. But in an hour you would be sick, and in a day you would be dead."

Yep! Harry just needs to figure out how to untransfigure Hermione and fix her biological problems without her dying the next day.
Cemalidor chapter 15 . 7/3/2013
*gigglies* What an awfully thing to do Ms. Deputy Headmaster. :XDDDD There will be ... no blood, but it those two go all-out, the times might turn... [b]INTERESTING![/b]
Anon chapter 15 . 7/2/2013
I love this so much!
Alissie chapter 15 . 6/30/2013
Hermione and Harry at war. I am LOVING this! (If you'd forgotten since I fawned over the last chapter... ;D)
Time: 5:44am (I don't think I'm sleeping tonight...)
Ryvaken Lucius Tadrya chapter 15 . 4/27/2013
Yeah, done. It was a wild ride with a few hilarious moments, but there's no potential here. The Diagon Alley stuff would still go down as a hilarious one-shot, though.
sww11685 chapter 15 . 4/17/2013
Interesting take on the art of transfiguration
Hannah chapter 15 . 4/5/2013
Oh gosh, a bible reference. Professor McGonagall seems more light-hearted in this. And I think that Hermione's able to be more competitive in Ravenclaw than in Gryffindor.
hervissa chapter 15 . 2/27/2013
Are you sure you didn't help JKR with thinking out the rules of magic? Because the Transfiguration lesson was...amazingly unbelievable :D
And the war between Hermione and Harry...let's just say that when McGonagall started on with her awesome comments, I laughed so hard that I woke up my dog.
...seems like I laugh too much at this story... ;)
And I love it :3
...
Oh, and it's nice to see that Hermione really IS a proper bookworm xD

hervissa :)
nopparitari chapter 15 . 2/25/2013
Why the hell is there suddenly a competition between Harry and Hermione? I can't but feel that I'm losing interest in this story already..
Wyndes chapter 15 . 2/19/2013
I am so thoroughly enjoying this. The creativity, the knowledge, the sense of humor, the writing style - it's all truly wonderful. Harry explaining fundamental attribution error, the scene when he says good-bye to his dad at the train, "altering the distant past was easy, you just had to think of it at the right time," Harry's entire rant about linear-time neurons - all incredibly great.

I was urged to read this story and was sort of grumbly about it because although I've read all the books, I'm not a huge HP fan and mostly don't like HP fanfiction. I was wrong, because this is the best story I've read in months. Thank you so much for the hours of pleasure this evening and the hours of pleasure ahead of me tomorrow and the rest of the week!
Strategist14 chapter 15 . 2/19/2013
Wait...
If Hermione's Muggle-born, then wouldn't she know the basics of logic? And with her mental ability, shouldn't she be on or near Harry's level? It's already been stated that Harry's memory isn't perfect, so...
Enei Emmu chapter 15 . 2/3/2013
This explanation of Transfiguration was really good. it made it seem way more... I dunno, possible? There's still the conservation of energy rule or law or whatever, but now at least Transfiguration makes sense in wizard terms. Cool.
petalene chapter 15 . 1/25/2013
I like the battle of wits between McGon
Guest chapter 15 . 1/10/2013
Sorry,
Guest chapter 15 . 1/9/2013
Excellence, thy name is Rowling.
Although this story is fine, too.
Writing bunny chapter 15 . 1/6/2013
Hogwarts actually takes teaching students seriously? That's a new one.
Biabara chapter 15 . 1/4/2013
A bit anti-climatic that Harry isn't a genius in magic as well but with the timeturner he has enough time to catch on.I loved the Transfiguration class, JKR should have done something similiar! A bit more of explaining how the magic works, it is what the story is based on after all, and we don't even understand it!
BiblioMatsuri chapter 15 . 1/3/2013
*blinks* Transfiguration logic AARGH! *hides under bed and is very grateful that it doesn't exist in real life*
crazy-n-insane chapter 15 . 12/31/2012
In short order, I need to say a couple of things...

This is the second time I read this story, and just like the first time, I find it charming without being able to pinpoint exactly why.

Rationalism, critical thinking and the scientific method...I was not familiar with these terms the first time round, but this time I am, and I am merely starting to appreciate how well equipped Potter-Evans-Verres is in this story. Backed with a very strong scientific background that entices me, I can honestly say that it has been a source of inspiration for my desire to learn science. Not the only one, or the main, but an interesting one that makes me want to spread out a bit.

Seeing as I do have a basic scientific background that has been neglected for the past 2 years, there is a lot for me to spend time on to understand more implicitly, and I think it is impressive what you are doing.

I am capable, and willing to read this whole story in one go, but I sincerely believe that that will only serve to further my amusement, not my implicit understanding of the topics at hand.

In short, I appreciate this story that you've written, and are still writing. And I appreciate the amount of work put into this, since nothing can be this great, at first and second sight, without an incredible amount of work put into it.

This may not be direct feedback on the story, but the next one will be.

And just to say, I loved chapter 5. That first meeting with Draco was epic! I could hear it and I could see it and I loved it (from a spectator POV ofcourse). One of my favorite parts (if not the most favorite)!

Cheers :D
StrangeoneXD chapter 15 . 12/16/2012
WHEEEEEE, just commenting cuz I feel obligated to and war? So soon...
Mr Norrell chapter 15 . 12/14/2012
As detail-oriented as these plots are you could do with a bit more detail work when it comes to who's doing what, what they look like, etc. All those little things allow the reader to visualize what's going on so much easier. Now, I realize that HPEV has an exceptional mind like no other and he therefore sees the world in a different way, which I would wager would be why such supposedly extraneous details are stripped away. HPEV may well see the world just as clinically as it's being described here but it's very odd for the rest of us to do the same.
Dan Riddle chapter 15 . 12/14/2012
"That's it, it's official now, they've ratified it in Parliament, everyone in the wizarding world is completely stupid."
You got it Harry, you got it! XD
BiJane chapter 15 . 11/16/2012
Still love the story, just wanted to mention that I cringed mathematically. I'm hoping it's an incomplete statement (even if it is though, not totally sure what it's implying), but 'limit of eight times four divided by epsilon as epsilon approaches zero plus...' makes sense up until you divide by epsilon, which is going to be straining the bounds of finite numbers. The limit would approach infinity.
Still an utterly wonderful story, just made me wince.
He-Who-Is-Bored chapter 15 . 11/14/2012
I find myself positively delighted at the concept of an intellectual war between your rendition of the illustrious Mr. Potter, and one Ms. Granger. If you will excuse me, I must cut short this discourse in favor of continued dissection of your, admittedly brilliant, tale. I would, however, like to inform you that I rarely ever find any actual reason to admit that one's intellectual capacity is anything above the apparent norm, so please consider this among the highest of praises I find myself capable of awarding.
fractalman chapter 15 . 11/3/2012
um...I thought it was essentially cannon that points are always awarded in multiples of 5?
I might be wrong about that, but...*shrugs*
Muirgen Monet chapter 15 . 10/26/2012
Love the Transfiguration Rules. I must say I really enjoy the way you are fleshing out Rowling's magic system.
I feel dumb chapter 15 . 9/4/2012
This science escapes me. I thought anything divided by zero has no solution.
voodooqueen126 chapter 15 . 8/1/2012
rationality is not helping Harry to be a good wizard
Hawklan chapter 15 . 7/20/2012
McG is plain evil :)
Satirica chapter 15 . 7/16/2012
I'm not quite sure if this is a friendship between Harry and Hermione...maybe it's Harry's idea of a friendship. Hermione's the more magical one and Harry is more scientific. Hmm...I thought opposites worked well together, especially since Harry's goal is world optimisation, but we'll see.
landofmyth chapter 15 . 7/8/2012
Let me just take a moment and extend my gratitude for the extra time and effort you put into explaining your thoughts on the complexities behind the art of Transfiguration. It is a fascinating concept, and I appreciate the opportunity to read more about it.
Guest chapter 15 . 7/4/2012
For Chapter 15 it states the rules of transfiguration. Harry later concluded with these rules that it's because of these rules that there aren't beautiful people walking around all the time... Then how did it work with Petunia? Did Lily cast a transfiguration spell? Because that would be an inconsistency.
Vladimir the Hamster chapter 15 . 6/11/2012
So that's why you can't transfigure food. :P
HerGoldenHair chapter 15 . 5/23/2012
Love Professor McGonagall, her rules, and her Transfiguration class. Also the war. Bring it on!
tricorvus chapter 15 . 5/13/2012
Gee whiz! you answered a LOT of questions I had about Transfiguration, even ones that I hadn't thought of, until you broached the particular bits.
Guest chapter 15 . 5/7/2012
Back on track with a real story, narrative, etc. Thank. . . .
Dana chapter 15 . 5/1/2012
Hello! I'm really enjoying reading this series! Smart, witty, applicable. Very nice!

I wanted to point out, however, that using the term "to gyp" or "gypped" can be offensive, since it comes from "gypsy" and is generally a reference to the stereotype that gypsies tricked people out of things. Just as you wouldn't say "Indian giver."

Really enjoying the piece, though! I felt especially vindicated by Harry's response to Draco's horrible rape comment. Yuck.
GSYH chapter 15 . 4/30/2012
From the mind, and not permanent, so transfiguration is where you impose a form you imagined, like a pig, onto a desk. The form of that pig comes from your memory/imagination and the desk will only hold that form as long as you expand effort on it.
I Read For the Content chapter 15 . 4/16/2012
"Four days ago? Maybe you can't read eight books in four days but you might have at least read one. How many days will it take to finish at that rate? You know a lot of math, so can you tell me what's eight, times four, divided by zero?"

"Eight, times four, divided by zero?"

"Divided by zero?"

"DIVIDED BY ZERO?"

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hidden Lines chapter 15 . 4/7/2012
Yay! Flirting!

Just kidding. I don't really care, as I stay away from shipping. GLHF to shipping wars, I say.

I like what you did with the "TRANSFIGURATION IS NOT A TOY" I always thought that was dangerous. I mean, turning someone into something, doesn't that kind of...screw something up? It's like taking two colors of clay and mixing it up, and trying to undo it. Doesn't really go back to normal.

Ugh. It's still creepy. You could assassinate someone like that, by turning something into food and having them digest it. Or do the magical equivalent of an atomic bomb and transfiguring something into water and putting it into a lake. Or some other source of water. That would be...horrendous.
Mr H. Potter chapter 15 . 3/25/2012
""Even if the current Defense Professor at Hogwarts tells me that a Transfiguration is safe, and even if I see the Defense Professor do it and nothing bad seems to happen, I will not try it myself."

"I have the absolute right to refuse to perform any Transfiguration about which I feel the slightest bit nervous. Since not even the Headmaster of Hogwarts can order me to do otherwise, I certainly will not accept any such order from the Defense Professor, even if the Defense Professor threatens to deduct one hundred House points and have me expelled.""

Ah, learning from your mistakes I see.
timunderwood9 chapter 15 . 3/11/2012
I 3 Hermione.

Also glad to see the next section coming.
PLKBerry chapter 15 . 3/4/2012
I'm loving your story, I just had one tiny question. Hermoine says to Harry, "You know a lot of math, so can you tell me what's eight, times four, divided by zero?" and he responds without problem. But isn't it impossible to divide by zero?
Trickery-Ismymiddlename chapter 15 . 2/20/2012
Hi! I just wanted to say that I really like your fanfic! I have to say that it's one of the coolest ones I've ever read. When I found out who you were I was shocked. Now my friends don't believe you exist, when I told them about the fanfic.
The Blind One chapter 15 . 2/20/2012
"No visible signs of being a past dueling champion." You should hear the giggle-snort I made at that line.

Here we have the first tangible instance of non-Harry people being more sensible than in canon. This lecture is impressively well thought out, and it's the sort of thing that ought to occur to anyone who really thinks about what Transfiguration could do. *shudder* My only negative comment is that it may be a bit too scientific: the phrase "constant loss of the body's matter of the atmosphere" especially sounds out-of-place.

Oooh, glass/steel balls. I spy a plot point!

"living subject into a target that is static" - this is going to be a plot point too, isn't it, somewhere in the future? I've seen speculation regarding James' rock, for example...
Hedgehog chapter 15 . 2/5/2012
I'm not sure I follow this. First, McGonagall's Transfiguration rules, while they seem sensible and address something I'd been wondering from time to time, don't jive with what happens in the books, or book 4 in particular. What about, for example, Krum transfiguring himself into half a shark? Or about Crouch jr. transfiguring the body of his father into a bone? Or about Moody/Crouch transfiguring Malfoy into a ferret? Granted, all of these could be examples of Dark magic that just happens to look like transfiguration, or at least Crouch jr. might simply not have cared about the consequences. Plus, this is an AU. But still...

Second, where on earth does the sudden enmity between Harry and Hermione come from? Competiveness, I can see, but Hermione's falsely sweet mockery seems completely out of line for what I know of her character, especially as it's obvious she's better in school than Harry is. And why would McGonagall even bother to take sides in what seems like petty rivalry? She seems more like the type to tell them to stop being ridiculous. Also, I'd expect her to be worried about Harry attempting to use the time turner to cheat in this arms race of knowledge.

Sorry if came across as too negative. I still like the story, and still like Harry. I am, however, frankly baffled.
eastern rosebud chapter 15 . 1/29/2012
Did Rowling also have such rigid rules for Transfiguration? If I can recall, it was largely not mentioned why wizards aren't using it over and over, so Less Wrong is apparently using a smarter solution here. McGonagall's teasing of Harry and Hermione reminds of Wikipedia article "Politics of Harry Potter", which mentions "Le Monde" accusing HP of fostering "culture of competition". Wondering what they would say about MoR... but I actually like that motif, for sure. Harry's jealousy of Hermione's achievements also shows that he is not a flawless (hence unrealistic) hero in a shining lab coat.
P. Smith chapter 15 . 12/17/2011
I'm not even a HP fanboy and I think this is the shit. If you ever publish a legit fantasy/ sci-fi book (which you could totally do) I will read it!
Guest chapter 15 . 12/12/2011
"Harry had been gypped."

That's a racial slur. Just so you know.
andromeda188 chapter 15 . 11/12/2011
Hi! I like your story very much, although it's a little bit difficult to understand. English is not my first language and I'm not into science.

I have a question to this chapter about transfiguration:

If you transfigure water into wine, that would be ok, or not? Or an apple into a banana? You can eat/drink both, so it shouldn't be a problem. The rest of your explanations is coherent but this I don't understand. sorry

However I like this story. It's a totaly new idea (to me) and I never read it before. It's amazing

andromeda188
EpitomyofShyness chapter 15 . 11/9/2011
Can't stop reading. I need to eat... must... continue... reading...
Guest chapter 15 . 11/3/2011
i cant believe it i have been bested by fiction how dare you cruel world (but seriously great job on making a story that confuses the reader but ends up with no plot holes my eyes can see)
Jesuslovesus chapter 15 . 10/28/2011
Love it already. Hilarious, dramatic, and yet mysterious. This is a masterpiece.
MercurialInK chapter 15 . 10/20/2011
Oh dear.

Harry and Hermione are going to destroy the school in their quest to prove which of them has the better brain, aren't they? Someone should warn the poor students.

Ah well, at least their war should be entertaining.

Love that last line. D

~InK
Guest chapter 15 . 10/8/2011
Don't know if it was here or elsewhere but either this or the mysterious other thing had me worried from the first time around that Harry's mother transfigured her sister into her new form. Which would mean:

1. It would eventually wear off and kill her.

2. It would wear off and cause such a disruption to her or her family that she'd be at risk of suicide.

Who would make the new potion?

3. The secret of the transformation would get out to the ministry and they'd force the potions effects to stop.

Would the ministry allow them a second potion?

If this isn't an idea you'd already considered, please don't do so now.
Toratchi888 chapter 15 . 10/6/2011
OH, so THIS is the start now, is it? Harry and Hermoine, facing off... why didn't Rowling write this? Oh, wait... too AWESOME to go to print, I suppose.
AR chapter 15 . 9/21/2011
I wonder if your detailed analysis about the laws of transfiguration are because of the harry/mcgonagall dynamic or simply because this would be the one field which he could compare to his muggle science and rationality.

Oh and I loved the war between him and hermione...shows the first truly boyish side to him.

still reading..still loving
Reader123456789 chapter 15 . 8/28/2011
So I'm trying to figure out the the batting lashes thing as she was also pointing out that she would soon beat him. Whats up with that?
anonymous chapter 15 . 8/20/2011
My favorite quotes: "You do realize this is war." "I didn't know we were at peace."

And there was evening and morning, the first day.

I just loved the fact that Professor McGonagall seems to dote on Harry Potter!
lizoftheinfinite chapter 15 . 7/30/2011
Seriously love the amazing awesomeness you did with Transfiguration. The subject itself has always scared the crud out of me (I always wondered why wizards didn't use transfiguration for everything they needed in life, like if they were hungry, and now the thought squicks me out. -_-) and you did an amazingly, amazingly good job. I've already said that. Damn. Also love the Harry/Hermione battle, it's cute and fits in with their personalities well. Also love Harry's lack of a super-powered evil half, it's hilarious. F*ck, I'm going to end up reviewing every chapter at this rate. NO. I MUST STOP. I MUST HAVE A PARAGRAPH IN HERE SOMEWHERE, BECAUSE CHUNKS OF TEXT SUCK.

Naaaahhhh

I'mma read the next chapter now . . .

-liz
Dimac99 chapter 15 . 7/20/2011
I absolutely adore this chapter, which is saying something, because I completely disagree with you about the permanency of transfiguration. I distinctly recall someone's dead body being transfigured into a single bone and buried (Barty Crouch Sr if memory serves?).
Isa Knightwalker chapter 15 . 7/10/2011
I love your way of describing Transfiguration, it makes so much more sense and I feel like those things should be included in the book since that is so serious if something goes wrong. Lovely chapter :3
DIZ chapter 15 . 6/26/2011
If transfiguring is not permanent, won't Petunia become ugly?
Dea En Machina chapter 15 . 6/19/2011
Wait a minute, a pig has water in it. What happens to any fluid that evaporates from its nose and mouth? Or for that matter, what about the carbon dioxide it exhales? The carbon would have to come from the pig's body, right? Unless the carbon atoms in question mapped to carbon atoms in the original wooden desk, it wouldn't be safe to inhale. (I'm over thinking this aren't I?...)
vfsnake chapter 15 . 6/4/2011
you fr3aking suck gerbil balls
Sheaman chapter 15 . 5/15/2011
Something I've wanted to point out for a while but aren't sure that I did before is that I understand if you didn't want Harry's mysterious dark side to boost his powers in any way, but with the one test he ran of it, all he "eliminated" was the possibility of having a super-competent dark side. He could be overpowering the spell like mad, but if he isn't doing it correctly then it still won't get any colder. Just a thought.

I don't think I've said it lately, so just in case: I think that your story is great, easily my favorite HP fic, and I hope that you find writing MoR easier and update soon.
TsukiNoBara chapter 15 . 5/10/2011
The entire transfiguration lesson, or rather the talk at the beginning of it, was absolutely fascinating.

Also, I now want to go to your version of Hogwarts. Seriously. And work with Harry. The idea of finding out how magic works sounds more fun than the actual magic.

(And I liked the bit about not doing it even if it seems like things turned out okay when a DADA teacher did it. I can't wait to see what happens if/when Moody!Crouch turns Draco into a ferret.)
Lexyann chapter 15 . 5/4/2011
Ha ha ha ! That's actually one of the best fanfic I ever read. And I'm so glad to have discovered it. But some questions eventually popped in my mind, like...

Errr what really happened to Peter Pettigrew? Didn't he went to live at the Weasleys? If so, How Sirius Black will prove that he's innocent?

And... why talking about Deathly Hallows THAT early?

Well I still really enjoy your story and I'll continue my reading... later. But now, I need to study. A little bit. At least.
xxxDREAMHEARTxxx chapter 15 . 4/24/2011
I loved the last sentence.

It reminded me of the first creation story in the Bible, you know, God created the world in seven days.

Great story so far, I will continue reading.
Cubdom chapter 15 . 4/19/2011
This has been a tremendous fic! My favorite parts so far has been Harry's thoughts on arbitraging the currency. I've thought that before, but NEVER read a fic clever enough to take on that challenge. And I loved the Genesis reference to close this chapter.
Akatsuki210 chapter 15 . 3/26/2011
Good chapter! I liked McGonagall's explanation of how the impermanency of Transfiguration actually makes it *more* dangerous. One thing, though: McGonagall impresses on the students that Transfiguring a person is really, really, dangerous and Harry even thinks that this must be why everyone in the wizarding world isn't perfectly pretty...but didn't Petunia say at the beginning of the story that Lily had made her pretty? If Petunia's been Transfigured and Transfiguration isn't permenaent, how is she 1) still pretty and 2) not dead?
darksoulsaddicted chapter 15 . 3/14/2011
No matter how good you are at math, there is no way to anwser a question divided by 0, much like how there is no anwser in transfiguration.

/fAn5uj
Nait chapter 15 . 3/2/2011
While the transfiguration theory is quite interesting - I found it to be somewhat doubtful. Especially in light of the fact that this universe's Petunia had her appearence altered either by charm, transfiguartion or a potion.

A potion's effects are either timely limited or permanent forced through effect (e.g. death) and charms do not alter an object - they can make a person to be seen different, but they can hardly charm the body to feel exactly like that.

Thus only transfiguration seems to remain as a way to permanently transfigure Petunias appearence.

But according to the rules of transfiguration, permanent transfiguration is impossible - and thus Petunia cannot be transfigured. Thus her beauty must either be of natural cause over years (that is, accidental) or was created through a mixing of magical means. The latter however, would require a magical perpetuum mobile, as two of the three means are bound to fall victim to time. Thus the theory of transfiguration seems to be inconsistent to the actual application of transfiguration throughout the story.
Goldrune09 chapter 15 . 2/27/2011
so confused...
Kerr Avonsen chapter 15 . 2/27/2011
I'm sad that Hermione and Harry have "declared war". They were getting on so well before, I thought. Guess I was mistaken.
Tashie chapter 15 . 2/20/2011
After 2 grueling hours of Ancient History and Math homework, I sat down to a nice relaxing tiime for reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Unfortunetly, the internet on my laptop working, so after I booted the main and got past the block on FanFiction that was placed there so I wouldn't go on it so often, I FINALLY GOT TO THE STORY!

And then, after reading another amazing chapter, full of McGonagall awesomeness, I realized I have an english draft due tomorrow that I have't started. So I shall continue reading this tomorrow.

I LOVE this story.

Tashie xo
ARMH chapter 15 . 2/20/2011
Gosh, it really is frustrating how amazing Hermione is. She needs to be that way, yeah, but it's still really annoying.
s-david-m chapter 15 . 2/2/2011
Interesting story so far. Just a note: systems theory can model anti-causal systems, where algorithms can depend on future inputs. That should suffice to explain time turners for us lowly muggles. ;-)
The Evil Guy chapter 15 . 2/1/2011
I'm going to go ahead on record here and say that I am not a fan of this story.

It's not bad... OK, I'm actually going to reverse that and say that's it is good, but it's very BAD plot-wise.

I could point out everything I don't understand or found wrong with it in the first fifteen chapters here, but I'll be polite about it and keep my opinion as it is and say that I just don't like it.

Good luck.
jada951 chapter 15 . 1/8/2011
you sure did put a whole lot of thought into her speech in front of the class!

amazing.
Jozern chapter 15 . 1/5/2011
I love this. I also love and worship my friend whom linked this to me. I really hope Harry and Hermione will end up togeather in your story. ARRRGG MUST READ!
Tangshou chapter 15 . 1/3/2011
Gypped on his dark side. haha. Great intro to transfiguration too.
FangDust99 chapter 15 . 12/28/2010
brilliant.

I can't say any more without gushing, but... I love this.
Jess chapter 15 . 12/14/2010
So...forgive the baseness of this observation, but a pig, or any other type of animal would surely give off gases or fluids, would it not? Unfortunately I don't see any way of getting around this without making all of this very boring.

I am enjoying your stories immensely.
doconnor chapter 15 . 12/14/2010
I was looking forward to the interaction between Harry and Hermione and you didn't disappoint. I figured from the beginning Hermione's desire to please authorities ("Now, I am going to bed before EITHER of you think of another brilliant idea to get us killed, or worse, expelled.") would clash with Harry's lack of respect for authority. I also felt the way that they where intelligent was different and you put your figure on it (logic vs book-leaning).

It seems just one meeting with Harry Potter pushed Hermione into a different house. I guess which house you end up in can be influenced by events that happen just before you are sorted.

Hopefully this is beginning of an fascinating friendship.

I don't mind that Ron has been pushed out of the picture. I wonder if you plan on making the group of three to be Harry, Hermione and Draco.
Gelacacine chapter 15 . 12/13/2010
Science applied to magic is weird. At least this is well done (no Quantum Mechanics Lingo that doesn't say anything), but i really hope there is more.
Los Grotos chapter 15 . 12/5/2010
Lock him in his chest.
Miss Teinge chapter 15 . 11/28/2010
You've just done one of my favourite things in HP fanfic: defined magical theories and limits. Thank you thank you thank you.
nightbug08 chapter 15 . 11/28/2010
I hate you, I should be sleeping right now, I should have been sleeping awhile ago, but nOo, I Had to stay up until 5 in the morning when I Know I need to be up at 9. And now I'm wasting more time telling you this! Hate!

(lol jk)
Cinnamon Selkie chapter 15 . 11/22/2010
~Harry had been gypped. He wanted to write someone and demand a refund on his dark side which clearly ought to have irresistable magical power but had turned out to be defective.~

Indeed. But who would he write to?

The interactions between Harry and Hermione are fascinating, and I look forward to more. Cinnamon.
w chapter 15 . 11/21/2010
Good things:

Refund on the dark side.

I want to see Flitwick in action.

Terrible light of helpfulness.

Transfiguration lecture.

Hermione conversation.

War.

The last line.

BTW, in 60 and elsewhere, Harry doesn't ask himself the obvious question - if not Azkaban, then what? He should come up with alternative first, before criticising, and indeed, in the chapter with Lestrange he does seem to realize an alternative is needed. Or maybe these are just his emotions (well written too).
fukuji mihoko chapter 15 . 10/29/2010
the explanation why people can't transfigure themselves is excellent!

it irked me how in the real books they didn't expand on this- technically, anyone could have made themselves prettier or whatever.
DDubs chapter 15 . 10/26/2010
i just started reading this yesterday and I have to say this so far is one of the best fics I have read thus far. I absolutely love the science used in this fic. I must confess that in chapter 12 I became curious and confused at Dumbleodre's speech. Chapter 13 was just plain confusing. Chapter 14 both cleared up and added to the confusion. My head seriously hurt. I will have to either continue reading hoping that some of the confusion is cleared up or go back and reread hoping I missed something. Overall i have really liked this fic.
Indigo Ziona chapter 15 . 10/16/2010
I forgot to mention that I loved that in the previous chapter McGonagall wants to give Harry lots of points for actually reporting something suspicious rather than researching on his own or enlisting other first years to help :)

Harry vs Hermione seems like a lot of fun, looking forward to seeing how it unfolds... but not tonight, I'm going to bed. Thanks for a really good read :)
Nerdfish chapter 15 . 10/11/2010
ROFL.

Hermione is a TSUNDERE.

Just brilliant, LOL.
Paganimagus chapter 15 . 10/9/2010
Rereading some bits I thought this really deserved another review.

"Harry had been *gypped*. He wanted to write someone and demand a *refund* on his dark side which clearly *ought* to have irresistable magical power but had turned out to be *defective*."

I love that bit, its just snazzy. A genre savvy rationalist hero is made complete by these kind of jokes.

And then-

"Hermione's eyes lit up with a terrible light of helpfulness and something in the back of Harry's brain screamed in desperate humiliation."

It says so much about Harry and characterises him SO well, to call it 'a terrible light of helpfulness'.

Again- snazzy
Squeamish chapter 15 . 10/8/2010
Your transfiguration mechanics are interesting.

I wonder what would happen if you were to transfigure food into food? Chicken into Bald Eagle, for instance.
Kutta chapter 15 . 10/8/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 15 . 10/6/2010
Excellent chapter. I think it's great that Harry isn't immediately in the top of his class; it's more realistic.
Nakedkali chapter 15 . 10/4/2010
I liked the declaration of war in this chapter, but was fully expecting something Looney Tunes to come from it.
dinosaurusgede chapter 15 . 10/4/2010
great chapter! Harry vs Hermione in reading contest
Eli Courtwright chapter 15 . 10/2/2010
I loved the in-depth description of the dangers of transfiguration - it's fun and fascinating to see you flesh out so many details of different forms of magic from the original novels.
Celebwen Telcontar chapter 15 . 9/14/2010
I... have a headache now.

CT
musicalbookworm chapter 15 . 9/12/2010
WARNING: this review written in the wee hours of the morning. may contain unknown and potentially harmful elements. read at your own risk

I'm sorry, I just can't let this go. None of the characters act like themselves. Ok, Harry's personality would be fundamentally changed being raised by Prof. Veres instead of Vernon Dursley, but not all of the changes can be attributed to that. (why is that sometimes he gets blindingly angry, and other times, intense anger gives him focus? thats kind of inconsistent) And, you certainly can't attribute Ron, McGonagal, and Hermoine's changes to version of Ron sounds like you based him entirely off the worst interpretations of the 1st and 2nd film, taking nothing from the books. McGonagal being beaten by an 11 year old? consistently? and, one chapter seeming to dread his very presence, and the next wishing to award him so many house points its ridiculous? over something the sorting hat said and his common sense response? that sounds more like an incompetent high school principal than the formidable Prof. McGonagal. And Hermoine doesn't just have an amazing ability to memorize and a fanatic need to do so; she is also genuinenly smart, where as you have portrayed her as a walking encyclopedia who is so amazed by the wonderful Harry Potter that she doesn't even realize it, and is trying to trick herself into believing she doesn't worship the ground he walks on. And don't give me the butterfly effect; it was 11 years ago, there's no way it could have that big of an effect. Actually, what was different that caused Petunia to be so significantly different, and hate Dursley instead of marrying him, which is later manifested as her being a real mother for Harry? It just doesn't make sense.

And besides all THAT, it is specifically stated that "you could Transfigure something into food" and the problem is that "you would run out of materiel", not that transfiguration isn't permanent. This is stated both in-book by Hermoine in like, book 7, and later by Rowling herself. (in fact, I think I remember an instance where we read about someone transfiguring food, and someone else eating it, and NOT dying a horrible death) And if transfiguration isn't permanent, how could Scabber/Pettigrew survive for that long putting out that much energy to keep himself as a rat?

All of these I would be willing to overlook (it is AU after all), if Harry wasn't such an inconsistent, spoiled jerk-wad. Who also happens to be the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, Buddha, King Arthur, Robin Hood, AND the ultimate saviour and lord of the entire universe. All at once.

i mean, harry has done nothing "wrong" except be a jerk (to neville, to ron, to mcgonagal, to...) and be tempted to become the ultimate dark lord. i mean, it looks to me like he's got a bad case of MarySue-itis.

All this being said, I do like the concept a lot; that is, a Harry Potter who is clever and familiar with the scientific method. And your science sounds real (tho I haven't looked it all up, and would have to spend days studying to understand it all if I did). I mean, I did read up to 15 chapters. but please, if i'm going to continue reading this, i don't want it to be "Parade of the Author's Avatar: Now with Upgraded NPCs!"

I do realize you have written and published 46 chapters. I just felt like I had to say something.

i blame this on the (extremely) late hour in which I type it.

yeah.
random reader chapter 15 . 9/12/2010
I am love-love-loving this fic! I like the slightly manic-y Harry, and I loved the "game" he pranked himself with. Well written and fun.
Serpent In Red chapter 15 . 9/12/2010
*snnnrks* War between Hermione and Harry, eh? Well, I daresay, never compete with Hermione Granger when it comes down to schoolwork because once you do, she's not going to stop until she's better than you in every subject there is. Good luck, Harry. Though being the nerd he is, we probably wouldn't have to worry too much.

~Serp
Shamedodra chapter 15 . 9/9/2010
That's excellent story writing...It takes a lot to write in such a humorous fashion...I really like your style...Hope you will write more stories
blindrain chapter 15 . 8/21/2010
Aack. Aack. Also, aack.

Oh, wow...I have absolutely nothing to say. O_O

Well, I seem to have found something...

It's mind-bogglingly fantastic!

Good job! :D :P
Samwise O'Keefe chapter 15 . 8/5/2010
Loved you putting flesh on the bones of the Theory of Transfiguration. In Rowling's story (for children) she doesn't address the WHY of how things happen and why other things don't; which is why as an adult reader there has to be such a huge suspension of disbelief. Great fun!
lucidscreamer chapter 15 . 7/20/2010
This is a fabulous story. Off to read more!
ebgb08 chapter 15 . 7/17/2010
Okay I may not be the first to say this, but...WTF? Who in the world thinks like this? You either must be an extremely ingenious person or extremely insane! Good, sweet, muffin tops! ...lol kay I'm done with my disbelief rant :D by the way I love this story though my brain has decided to self destruct so I will have to continue another day :P
109 chapter 15 . 7/11/2010
This must have been said before, but I didn't realize until after the chapter about the carbon string that was stronger than steel.

McGonagall should not have been able to transfrom the desk into a pig, according to her own rules. A pig exhales, and breathes the same air as the students. They would have had trace amounts of wood in their bodies afterwards. . . sorry.
James Birdsong chapter 15 . 6/23/2010
Pretty funny.
Syron13 chapter 15 . 6/16/2010
I am looking forward to how Harry and Snape interact. It would seem Snape would have some logic behind him since he was the only one with a logic puzzle as an obstacle in the first book. As long as he isn't too blinded by his hatred for James Potter.
Greytune chapter 15 . 6/15/2010
You know, if I was Voldemort, I'd problaby horcrux the clockwork of Big Ben. The pendulum, or something. For, I mean, if they were to un-horcrux the thing, they would have to remove and/or destroy it. And every single being in England would know within the hour, if not the minute, the Big Ben stopped.

That sounds like something a smart Voldemort would do if he wanted to guard his horcruxes. (Because we know he wanted at least six - in canon anyway)
Mionefan chapter 15 . 5/13/2010
A bit dense to read at times, but joyously entertaining.
Ceridwen Kalamack chapter 15 . 5/6/2010
Finally LOGIC in Hogwarts! I always wondered why no one saw a problem with transfiguring food out of some innocuous object or creating firewood or any number of bad ideas in fanfics. MAGIC is not a good enough reason for consequences not to happen! That said, great chapter.
KrisTerms chapter 15 . 5/5/2010
Nice chapter.
Reader chapter 15 . 4/23/2010
FYI, "gypped" is a racist term, you may want to use an alternate word.
TxA-GunFighter chapter 15 . 4/20/2010
Very good chapter.

Gunny
Cassandra30 chapter 15 . 4/20/2010
Good class. I do like the Rules.
TealTerror chapter 15 . 4/17/2010
...Does the staff know that Voldemort is teaching their Defense Against the Dark Arts class? I have to assume they do, or else McGonagall wouldn't be talking so much about "If the Defense Professor orders you to do X."

This story just keeps getting better, incidentally. Though there's still some conflict in that part of it needs Harry to be Richard Feynman (i.e. a giant walking brain) and part of it needs Harry to be an actual character, the two are slowly starting to gel together. I think the more you show him screwing up, the more I'll be able to accept him as a fully fleshed-out, actual character.

Also, I love Dangerous!Transfiguration and Actually Not That Powerful!Time Turners.
Polyserena chapter 15 . 4/16/2010
Just finished reading what's available of this and it's brilliant. He was already starting to remind me of Ender so seeing the reference on the latest chapter was particularly cool (and the Tom Lehrer reference earlier! I loved it). It's about time someone made an effort to explain Rowling's world rationally and I'm fascinated by the results, but even more fascinated by the character you've constructed here and where he's going to end up.

As a note though, your "historical tidbit" at the top of chapter 15 isn't actually historical and shouldn't be in past tense. We might be called Jews rather than Hebrews these days, and in daily life we might use the same definition of a day as everyone else, but festivals and fasts and everything else still run from evening to evening. That tradition still continues, and it's pretty disconcerting to be happily reading one of the best fics I've ever read and suddenly find myself consigned to the annals of history.
A Better Mathematician chapter 15 . 4/15/2010
Mathematician: just look at the units. If we want to find how many DAYS it takes to read 8 books at a rate of 0 books in 4 days, we can write it mathematically as :

(4 days/0 books) * 8 books ? days

The unit "books" cancel out and you are left with how many days it takes to read 8 books at a rate of 0 books in 4 days (an infinite amount of days).

Th author's answer is right. You are wrong. Don't be so quick to criticize, even if it is constructive.
Pointer3109 chapter 15 . 4/15/2010
"only if I made the further assumption that you didn't want to kill the pig,"

Harry's one of those delightful people who don't live in the same universe as everyone else. At least, it doesn't seem like it...

Hilarious to be around, however.
SpaceHead3 chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
This story is awesome! It is so rare to find a story that makes you THINK and that actually sounds intelligent. Keep the convoluted plot-lines coming!
CosmosGravitation chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
I had high hopes for this fic in the beginning, but they've gone down over the past few chapters. The downward trend started with the ghostbusters song chapter, but I'm sure you've heard enough about that already.

You seem to be less interested in telling a story than I would like. The story needs to focus more on characterization. Half the time it seems more like a crack fic than a real story.

Why are you neutering magic? Specifically transfiguration. For example, transfiguration can be used on humans in canon without any repercussions. Viktor attempts to turn himself into a shark for the 2nd Triwizard challenge, and Barty Crouch Jr. transfigured Malfoy into some type of animal in the same book. Transfiguration was always my favorite sphere of magic in the novels, so I don't care for the limitations you're placing on it. Are you changing canon to try and explain magic rationally? What's the point of that?

Also not sure why Harry is sucking at magic. Was hopeful he'd be quick to pick up things, since in canon it seems those with high intelligence tend to be prodigies. Harry struggling is going to get boring quickly.
WolfbrotherTitan chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
This story isn't he funniest story I've read on this web site, but it does come close and for that I will be eternally gratefull, as laughter is quite priceless.
shiro-wolfman-k chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
Oh yes, I was not expecting sudden love between this two, they are really competitive children, and in the beggining and if it possible, the rest of their life, they will compete to outclass the other.

Let's see who break first, and it's seems that It could be either of them, even if Harry have an unffair advantage whit the time turner.
Sicaria chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
Lovely set of chapters. I'm particularely fond of the fact that Harry isn't an instant genius in all of his subjects. I rather like the explanation for comed-tea as well.

I am however slightly peeved with the calculation at the end of this chapter: I would expect Hermione to know that dividing by zero is impossible.
StoryTagger chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
...My head hurts...ow...
DTurtle chapter 15 . 4/14/2010
The 8 time 4 divided by 0 is the length of time required by Harry to finish reading all the books if he continues with his previous speed.

He has 8 books to read, had 4 days to read them, and finished 0 of them. If he had finished one book, then the calculation would be 8*4/132 so 32 days.

However, he didn't read anything, so the answer is he would never finish the books if he continues with his previous speed, as the limit of 8*4/x, x-0 is infinity.
Puidwen chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
nice chapter
Jinx of the 2nd Law chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Is a desk dreaming it is a pig, or a pig dreaming it is a desk...

LOL, the nature of matter and transformations... I want to take that class!
Wolfric chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
kdorian chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Like the chapter, although I don't like the 'Free Transformation' idea; it's far too easy to use as a murder weapon, and I fail to see why Death Eaters etc. would not have used it as such in times past.

Hope this is explained in a future chapter.
Twisted Miracle chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Today's historical tidbit: The ancient Hebrews considered the

boundary of a day to be sunset rather than dawn, so they said "evening and morning" not "morning and evening".

Actually, we still do that. By "we" I mean Jews, and by "do that" I mean note Jewish days as beginning when the sun sets. And so holidays, including Shabbat, all begin in the evening.

Now that my little Ravenclaw moment is over, I wish to tell you that I have devoured your first fifteen chapters very quickly. I have been reading fanfiction, and writing it, for five or six years now. I wish for you to know that, in all that time, other fic has made me laugh, other fic has delighted me, other fic has given me new insight into JKR's world. Just as your fic has done all of those things. But I can think of no fic that has simply made me *happy* as this one has and is. It is extraordinary, unlike any fanfic I have ever read, and astonishingly wonderful and creative.

Twisted Miracle 1twistedmiracle gmail. com
Woah chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Harry just divided by zero...

F (Explodes)
Nongarak chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Divided by zero? What?

Great chapter, I chuckled at the bit about it being THEIR war. Pretty funny. Good job, update soon!
Use Basic Math chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I recognize that part of the purpose of this story is to make yourself/Harry seem smart. I would ask that you not misuse basic math skills in order to do so.

I'm referring specifically to a quote near the end of this chapter:

"I've got classes now, which you didn't, but weekends are free, so... eight times four divided by zero... 10:47AM on Sunday."

Now I don't wish to assume your age or competency in math but your answer to the equation was woefully incorrect

8*4/0

That equation could be viewed as (8*4)/0 or 8*(4/0). In either case, the equation is unanswerable. In both ways of looking at the equation you wind up having to divide a number by zero. It is mathematically impossible to divide a number by zero as you can't have a part of nothing.

Other than your pretentious diversions intended to impress your readers with how smart you are, your story has been an interesting, if childish, read.
Ell chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
For people reading this later, for people with slow internet connections, and for people who are just lazy, I would appreciate it f you would put some form of the authors note in the chapter itself, even if not the complete version. I am entertained by them, and the knowledge is often helpful, but I cannot read them if, as I am wont to do, I read three or four chapters of ths at once, and the time it takes flipping back and forth to your profile makes it not worth it when possible
Kamu chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
hey Nice story there, I'm quite enjoying it, now one point who shocked me... (no flamming there!) but "divided by zero" and they can guess a value out of it. Wouldn't mind you explaining that, as far as I checked there is no result to a division by zero.

Other than that keep up the good story this version of HP is better than the original :)
frankiejoseph chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
The competition between Harry and Hermione here is AMAZING. And McGonagall is deliciously evil, isn't she, getting involved in their little war?
The French Dark Lord chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Nice chapter but the transfiguration theory gave me a head ache, i'e better not think about it or else I will ask question like ,where do you wand and clothes go when you are an animagus? Or wheregoes hte missing mass when turning an object into a smaller one.

My favourite why cant yoU turn lead to gold with aspell but with a damn stone?

The answer is magic is the exection wich confirms the rule of does not need nor fellow logic of any kind. Magic it changing reality acording to your fact it could be summarized a the essence of willpower.

kEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
TimesARiver chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Wow. Wow, wow, wow wow. I think this has to be the best, the most intruiging Rational Harry story I have EVER read. It's fantastic.

And a lot of great twists too. And it makes me laugh instead of rolling my eyes. And the science is actual science, not just theories drawn out of thin air to help further the plot (not that those theories don't come in handy.)

I definately want to see where this goes.
Alia-Jevs chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
HILARIOUS!"! I was laughing my ass THX!
Carumati chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
That is exactly how Transfiguration and McGonagall should have been! I've always wondered about it, of course Transfiguration is temporary, even if it's not Alchemy, there has to be some sort of balance in the world. I can't wait for your other explanations, if you plan them. Polyjuice... Conjuring... Animagus... though that might actually be easy to explain.
Zach chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Wow. This may be the best Harry Potter story I've ever read. A Harry who is really intelligent, but not randomly awesome at magic is very hard to come by, but when it does, its fantastic. (I guess most people don't realise that being intelligent doesn't make you good at things the very first time you do it, especially with no prior knowledge of it) I'm glad that you are making an actual story featuring a competent protagonist who is actually challenged by the obsticals thrown his way. It makes for a good story, way better than most intelligent!harry stories.

Keep up the good work,

zach attack (cheesy i know, but thats what my coaches called me it teeball when i got a good hit)
DarkHeart81 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
*snicker* I can't help being amused with Harry struggling at magic in this. In most fics it seems like Harry is only half a heartbeat behind Hermione in performing most spells.

One thing that bugged me about this chapter was the part about someone having transfigured gold into wine. Gold is a noble metal and, at least withing the Potterverse, noble metals cannot be turned into something else nor can something be turned into them. Gold is always gold. Now if it'd been something like copper or bronze transfigured into wine, that'd make a person ill or even kill them when it reverted back.

I like seeing Harry and Hermione competing at the end. Hopefully they'll be friends soon. :)
Balatros chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I am not going to lie, i kind of dislike how weak harry is appearing to be, i would have thought that his instinctual need for knowledge would have required him to read at least Some of his books. either way later
Illution chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Wow what a chapter. You have made magic conform to the limits of reality. It's magic! Sure there are limits but you really have taken the fun out of it by over imposing your empiricism.

At the mention of transfiguration I can't help but imagine the scene of Malfoy being transfigured to a ferret in Goblet of Fire. Surely the magic within the transfiguration could be responsible to reverse the effects.

You did mention other magical means of transforming. But a polyjuice potion, for example, works the same way in theory. If you impose your rules on transfiguring on the potion drinking it could mean death. The logic you used to describe the dangers "Free transfiguration" as you called is not only limited to "free transfiguration" but all it can be applied to all forms of transformation. They might as well be going to a regular high school.
Horace Nihil chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Geez, what a day...!

I've read this kind of final sentence somewhere, let me think on it...;)
LoireLoa chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Umm... what? I'm confused.
shine lots chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I too caught that dividing by zero thing; you can't, right? But I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and trust that you know what your doing for your plot.

I am glad that antagonising Snape is not a huge feature in this fic, and that Minerva is the main Professor who Harry has a relationship of a sort with. I like that Minerva now views Harry in a positive light.

I was bored reading the laws of transfiguration. I'll assume you have a reason which is crucial to your plot for them being different from cannon. This means that your story diverges from cannon in two separate instances. But that's ok. I like it fine. It's cool.

Harry transfigured galleons in Diagon Alley. Therefore I'm guessing that it's going to come back and haunt him. Ignorance of goblin law is not an excuse, right?

Overall, I like this chapter, lots!
dougal74 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Another good chapter...although your fixed rules on transfiguration leave a little to think on - after all we know in canon that water can be conjured and drunk and conjuration is just another form of transfiguration by another name.

Also, wouldn't the length a transfiguration lasts depend on

a. the power of the caster

b. the determination/focus of the caster

c. The casters skill in that subject

I mean you could take sawdust and transfigure it in to something to eat without the worry of splinters...after all it is fibreous and a plant mater at the end of the day, even if it turns back into sawdust.
wordhammer chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I know they're flirting and all, but what sort of bogus math divides anything by zero with a non-infinite result... hang on.

Code? It was Monday, Harry's projecting completion mid-Saturday (and requires the Turner to make that deadline) while Hermione challenges a three instead of four day speed that cuts him back only 20 hours... either I'm obsessing or there is barely enough information to parse it out. I'll just wait and see.

Anyway, it's nice to see Harry fencing fairly with the Professors- it just wouldn't seem right for him to dominate in every encounter. I especially loved McGonagall's tease '... even if they're all wrong' from the previous chapter.

Also, I think you should be given extra props for the spelling of vocalized brain melt: "Glehhah..." should become a formal onomatopoeia if the Webster folk have any sense.
PerfesserN chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
"Eight times four divided by zero..." is undefined - okay, what's the catch? Even Captain Kirk's infamous "One to the fourth power" had a real solution, albeit not one that would increase the amplitude of any sound.

I suspect a trap.

N!
erik chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Great fun, if slightly loony (no Luna required.)
Xardoth chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Ok, I get where this chapter came from, and I suppose I understand why its feasible for that to happen, but it still bothers me that those two are having a little competition thing going on... I hope it doesn't factor too much into the later chapters cause at the moment, I just think its distracting from what I like about the story. I think I'd probably like it better if Harry was just moping about not being able to preform as well as Hermione, and a bit more on him trying to put a rational behind why he is and the justification therein, rather then the odd little point competition at the end.
jesusfreak100percent chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Actually, I recently heard about the Hebrew day, at youth club. My sister was talking about Jesus and that came up - because of the "he was dead for three days". It only makes proper sense if you remember that Hebrew days ended when the sun went down, and began when the sun came up.

Good chapter - I like the rivalry/friendship between Harry and Hermione, and McGonagall is always a laugh.

Also, changing the lesson plan was a good idea. I love messing around with how things work (not fridges and things like that. More like magic, and the human mind).

Thanks for updating soon, and please update asap.
Arysthae chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
hehe, Harry and Hermione are having a war! That chapter was good!
Aries The Ram chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Lol, as usual this story has me laughing, I can't help but think that Hermione is a bit more bold than she normally would be, but its suiting this character just fine.

How is the relationship going to turn out? Some weird controlling neverending competition until the sexual tension becomes too much? lol
AStatine11 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Ah a wonderful chapter.

i really look forward to ur rational approach to fanfiction and after every chapter i am left wanting for more.

i guess that is a good thing cause i think that is one of the highest things a writer can achieve.

also the h/hr interaction was brilliant and i look forward to their next meeting.

i always thought hermione to be more innocent and not so cunning if u can call her that. what with the "innocent expression" and all after class. she seems to be a smart-ass.

i also noticed that harry had a complete personality change after starting hogwarts. he just seemed to lose his confidence.

i can guess why that is but it would be better if u cleared that out for me.

Keep up the GREAT work and Thank You!
iota0000 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Meh. This chapter is probably the first that I genuinely disliked (unlike the omake chapter, which I just thought felt out of place).

It just fell really flat and seemed a tedious way to outline how your story's magic won't conform to the common canon/fanon perceptions and precepts of magic. Although the differences were presented in a unique way of professorial lecture rather than simply telling it from a boring third-person omniscience, it still doesn't take away from the prosaic and presumptuous nature of it.

Still, the story itself cannot be felled by one solitary uninteresting chapter, and I am rooting for you to bounce back into the swing of things with the next chapter.
RatherFabulous chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Geek p*ing contest!

It's Dexter and Mandark!

Just like a pair of posturing jocks!

(Did I use enough exclamation points, do you think?)
Jaxtopher chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Interesting.

I'm going to say "I like it, keeps to your high standards of writing." And then I'm going to add a "but".

I like it, keeps to your high standards of writing, but I feel that using an entire chapter to explain your deviations from the standard HP magic system was a bit heavy handed. The entire thing was interesting to read, and I like your changes to the magic system so that it actually makes sense, but the bit at the end with H and H bantering with each other definitely had the most character. It might have been better to make the fic a bit longer so dialog like this could be a greater fraction of the chapter.

Overall Grade: A Minus. Well done.
PeanutTree chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Haha, I love it when Harry tries to get all angry and McGonagall just laughs at him. I especially love how Harry and Hermione seem to be rivals and also best friends.
Meneldur chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
An interesting chapter. I still claim that Harry's failure at spells had nothing to do with pronouncing the words wrong, but simply having the wrong intent. He was trying to force magic for something, instead of trying to channel magic for freezing. If he had been trying to cast one of the Unforgivables, he probably would have achieved better results. Intent matters! I don't believe you can mutter words, wave a wand and something will happen. This should be adressed! If one can cast without speaking simply by concentrating, it should be no problem for those who want to. If Dumbeldore can make sleeping bags without a wand, Quirrel create restraining vines with a snap of his fingers, anyone with enough concentration and power can!

I liked the rules of Transfiguration. I'd like to see more of them. Perhaps something regarding the difficulty of the tranformation proportional to the mass you're changing?

The idea of a war between Hermione and Harry is intriguing. I guess I'll have to see more of it before I decide whether I like it. Though really, Harry could simply go back multiple times, and study all he wants. McGonagall addign to the fight was a cute touch, though.

Until the next chapter, then. I do hope you'll mention the matter of magical intent soon. I truly think it's the cornerstone of magic in the Harry Potter Universe
Taure chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Ah, all the slight faults I found against this fic in previous chapters compare nothing to this. This is a sin that cannot be forgiven. You have killed the Harry Potter magic system - and my favourite part of it. Goodbye, sweet transfiguration.

Given that this is fanfic, there's not much point me telling you how uncanonical this is. Every fanfic author has the right to change things as they like. But this is the end of the line for me, I'm afraid.

There are only a few things that I absolutely cannot stand in HP fanfic (other than general poor writing), but number 1 on the list is imposing limits on the HP magic system to weaken it, so that it makes more sense/works better with our scientific understanding of the universe.
ejhawman chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Ack! I missed the double chapter posting and didn't get the mind screw!

As to chapter 15...

Excellent. Now we get to the meat of the classwork.

I've always figured Charms to be the most basic subject in magical education. It's where you get to connect with your magic directly. Harry has the idea that it's all about feelings, but he's got the wrong sort of feelings in mind! It's not emotions, it's a sixth sense, like having an extra appendage.

It looks like you've had to modify some of Rowling's rules for Transfiguration. I had figured that if Transfiguration was such a dangerous subject it should wait for later years, after students had some experience channeling their magic in Charms class, but it's a logical extension here to say that Transfiguration has to be mastered early. Not having the early books available to consult, I don't know if it was one of Rowling's rules that Transfiguration is not permanent, but it always seemed to me that it had to be, or else there could be dire consequences.

The Transfiguration progression ideally should be: shape only, then density, then mass, then composition: metal to metal, stone to stone, metal to stone and back, metal and stone to wood, not getting to living matter in the first year. Rowling, of course, was just starting the series then, and coming up with things ad hoc.

The romance with Hermione begins, naturally, with rivalry. "This means war!"

Still an enjoyable ready, but now I have to check every day!
mumimeanjudy chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Division by zero is undefined.
Makurayami Ookami chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
well written.
Allen Pitt chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
ah, young love. Or at least hatred & rivalry. Poor Ravenclaw will never be the same. And since it's all top secret, she doesn't know it isn't just some random widget... Nice send up by the way of all those 'fics where Hermione or someone goes back in time to prevent losing the war with voldemort by accidentally breaking a Time Turner...

And of course she doesn't know he'll be using that to catch up on his reading, also he'll be practicing magic in his trunk...

Nice to McG having fun with all this, she's usually presented as very stern & humorless 100% of the time, which isn't her at all (or anyone).

And they haven't even gotten to Voldemort's DADA class yet. Neat.
Ashandarei chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I do be wondering myself if you are making Harry convolutely inconstant for the humor of it, or if you frankly do not notice you are doing it. For all of Harry's treatises and calling upon scientific methods and ratio, I fail to observe him actually consistently following the path of rational truth.

I've alway been thought that on the path to rational thought one must carefully balance the principle of Okham's razor with the willingness to look beyond the easiest solution and seek why is something truth. Harry unfortunately, at least in my eyes, only applies either when it is plot convenient, and even than it is not taken to the full length.

Now, I'm not arrogant enough to consider my understanding and thoughts superior to anyone else's, and thus I allow for the fact that I've misinterpreted and badly understood, and if such is the case, I most humbly apologize.

I wish to express clearly here that this was not meant, or at least not consciously, as any sort of criticism. I love the fic just the way it is. I simply thought you would like to hear an opinion of someone who considers himself to be rationalist and philosophically inclined.

As a finish three of my favorite quotes (or probably paraphrases) that can be thought of as pertinent: "Sufficiently advanced technology must appear akin to magic."; "The first thing a truly rational man must do is realize that it is irrational to believe he can understand anything; The second is to prove himself wrong."; "Solitude is required to contemplate, multitudes are required for debate. Without either no truth is complete."
Mongo chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
For those reviewers who are puzzled by the "divided by zero":

books in total, times days to read them, divided by books read.

This gives how many days it would take to read all eight books. If Harry had read three out of eight books in five days, then it would take eight times five divided by three equals 13 1/3 days to read all eight books, assuming a constant number of days per book read.

Since Harry has read zero of eight books in four days, the expected time to read all eight is eight times four divided by zero, or an infinite number of days, i.e. never.
Dormant Account 24 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Nicely done. I appreciate the fact that Harry isn't instantaneously becoming a master of magic, but in fact stinks right along with the other muggleborns.
theNewDesire chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
o.O I am very confused...anything divided by zero is undefined or infinity. Other than that, I love it.
SevereWrath chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Divided by zero? I have to say, that sticks out...

And this is a truly fantastic story. The explanations of rationality are great, and you throw in good characterization and plotting to boot. Really, really extraordinary.
Wonderbee31 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
A very interesting take on the Transfiguration class, where we get to see Minerva in control here, and can imagine her being the strict taskmistress that she is hinted at in canon, but never really get to see except a few times in class, and will look forward to the Harry/Hermione competition that seems to be building.
Entropic Specter chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Thanks for another good read. I'm enjoying your story way too much. The dynamics between Harry and Hermione are very nice. Now, I just wonder why McGonagall stressed not following transfiguration orders given the DADA teachers so much. Former experience, or is something up with Quirrell? We'll see.
VynosNeptune chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I love your transfiguration theories, they were really well thought out and presented. hope to see more soon. Cheers!

~Vynos
SensiblyTainted chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
So, I really REALLY love your Transfiguration theory. And I think the competition between Harry and Hermione is a very interesting dimention of the story. That said... I can't help but feel you are rushing through this story a bit. Setting discriptions have fallen almost completely out, as well as the physicallity of the characters. What are their hands doing? They're body positions? That kind of thing. You have pretty dense theory and technical jargon that alot of us readers aren't familiar with and there's no room in the chapter where the reader can have space to assimilate. The beginning chapters were great, so I know you are skilled. That's why I thought maybe you were rushing to get to a particular part or scene in the story. A big temptation of my own. My beta constantly has to tell me to slow down and pace myself better. Lately while reading I'll stop and think, where am I? What's going on? And have to actually piece together the timeline and figure out the timejumps between chapters since they aren't exactly consistant. I think spending some time setting the scene would help the disorientation. I hope this doesn't discourage you at all. I really do love the fic.
Larry Huss chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Glad you worked in the limits of magic, too often it is too uncontrolled, and too much like magic in a children's book.

A fine, unconventional Herione. This...Means...WAR!

yrs. Larry Huss
Ershistalos chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
So I read chapters 13 and 14 at work and I couldn't suppress my giggle/snicker/choked-laugh and I think I was stared at by my Japanese co-workers... nice job!
Bloodreaver Alpha chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I laughed my arse off at your last line. Really? Quoting Genesis in a Harry Potter fic? You should be ashamed. You should not, however, be sorry, because it was fucking hilarious.

Harry and Hermione have a vicious intellectual war with each other. I can only pray that it descends into a romantic relationship of equal vehemence; that's the only way it could be made better. But even if this winds up Harry/Ginny, I think I could manage it for the sheer ingenuity of your writing.

Logical!Harry is great. Keep it up.
jdboss1 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I love the rivalry between Harry and Hermione! It's going to be interesting seeing how it pans out

McGonagall is evil HAHAHAHAHAHHA

I can understand why mad eye Moody would not touch any food not because it was poisoned back because it could have been a double-decker bus shrunken and turned into a green P

I thought of trying to use a concept like that in a story I attempted to write that I did not take the idea to you the obvious conclusion that air could be something as before you bring it so where is the magical equivalent to a gas mask

I loved your interaction between Harry and Hermione I instantly understood Hermione's mathematical reference quite shocked that several reviewers haven't immediately realised what it was on about

I'm happy that Harry Potter wasn't instantly fantastic at Magic so many stories just can't help overpowering him from day one

McGonagall Explanation sounded fantastic but I couldn't expect with the present technology level to backward communities in to realise how much you are saying especially air or am I and my naivete not realising that they understood what gases are ?

with his invisibility and time travel I don't think it should take this Harry Potter long to get whatever he wants

You are easily in the top three best Harry Potter author's I have ever read and the best news story this year

I may not understand everything your character says that like Doctor Who I smile and accept what you're saying is theoretically correct

( recommendation don't have harry forget his parents and contact them at least his father is pretty intelligent and I would expect him to be able to purchase all the magical items harry couldn't accept except my fears is your writing this Harry Potter as if he was all a lone like in Canon he has parents reliable once so use them

I'm sure he could quite happily win the lottery with his time Turner
lenka chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
:D hilarious :D i am guessing the two of them are going to gang up from now on...got a common "enemy" :D plus, the very last sentence was great too, i like biblical references in the most weird and unexpected ways :D
shenmi meiren chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
announcement?

your mcgonagall is E-V-I-L!

wicked witch ;]
Antares Starfire chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Yeah, I always found disturbing how magic seemed to be taken as child's play in old JKR's books. I like your view in transfiguration much better. Keep up the good work.

And if irregular updates generally mean faster updates, I'm fine with that (Not that I can do anything if I'm not).
AngelForm chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Well thought out take on transfiguration.

I have often wondered why the killing curse is banned. Mind-Control and Purified-Agony yes, painless death? Especially when there are so many other equally effective and far less pleasant ways of killing someone.

You points allotment is much lower than in most stories. Will be interesting to see what happens when Snape tries to take ten points for being smart.
cheekylildevil chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Okay, whilst I loved the rules of transfiguration, many parts of this chapter were confusing to me, particularly the fact that Harry was towards the bottom of the class, when he never had been to begin with. This chapter also wasn't as interesting as the last ones. However, I do agree with Professor McGonnagall, I would love to read his exams, particularly essays, if you ever finish this, I suggest writing a series of his essays, backed up by muggle science, of course.

Indi
Starlight Chibi-chan chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
haha, i enjoyed the biblical reference at the end. )

how come mcgonagall decided to interfere in harry and hermione's war? just for fun?
the true elec chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I loved the ending to transfiguration class, I'm really liking this version of McGonagall.
Jarno chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Nice chapter, this has to be one of the most refreshing ideas on the board.

"Is it really that useful? It didn't seem to help you with Charms or Transfiguration."

There was a slight pause."

And, I believe, therein lies the problem: it doesn't help Harry, it hinders him. Magic can not be rationally explained, so if Harry constantly relies on his logic and wits, he will be held back subcounsciouscly.
KGB chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I like the chapter. Nice interaction between Hermione and Harry, I'd like to see where their rivalry will take them.

Also you seem to have tried to make transfiguration scientific. I don't mind, but it's a lost cause. You're changing atoms, at least for a short time, to make it more logical is a lost cause.

p.s. normally people put there "author notes" below the chapter. As long as it's below a page length it's not all that annoying either.
Tiky3000 chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
A dark side with irresistible power would come in handy now and again, but I believe I'd rather have an irresistible power coming from my light side.

Of course, the only people who ever had powers coming from their light side were the Jedi. And they got killed by the dark side...

But I'm getting distracted.

A good chapter. I greatly enjoyed the depths in witch you explained transfiguration. I usually don't see such a level of detail. It's also good to see Hermione is getting her edge back after the train ride almost relegated her to a smart side kick.

And there was evening and there was morning, the second review.
Nargus chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
M.. well I knew there were some reasons it take months to teach Transfiguration from object to object...
morriganscrow chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Oh dear...

harry and Hermione are very cute together. I also entirely enjoyed your Transfiguration explanations/insights/rules.
Anderfail chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
I'm guessing the divide by zero comment was supposed to tongue in cheek? Otherwise, I'm not too sure what to think.

Also, your McGonagall is the best I have ever seen. She's definitely one of my favorite characters in the story.
Baughn chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
..divided by zero? What?
borsic chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Hey - actually, I wanted to write this little note for chapter fourteen (which I found delighting), but you are updating too fast for me... which is also delighting.

Anyway, here goes:

I really like where you are taking this story. First I was a little bit leery of reading another "Harry is more intelligent than anyone else" fic, but so far you have avoided the pitfalls of this approach most adroitly. It's nice to see that he is fallible, that magic can baffle him (what will he do if it turns out that there is no logical foundation to magic? I'd assume his head would explode, if the episode in ch. 14 is any indication), and that there are others who can be smarter than him.

Eagerly awaiting your next chapter,

your enchanted reader,

Boris
Anon chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Biblical.
Sable Rose chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
j hellfire chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Ok your going to have to make this story less funny. I think you might have caused me permanent damage with this last chapter
yoyoente chapter 15 . 4/13/2010
Oh dear...I wonder how long it will take before Harry is using his time-turner to gain even MORE hours in which to study.

McGonagall is evil...just plain EVIL.
firedraygon chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
I was wondering when Hermione would get a bigger part! This is so fun, a points war, haha. I like the Transfiguration introduction - much more dramatic than Snape's. Awesome chapter. Please write more soon!

~fd97
Daybreaq chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
I loved the competitiveness between Harry and Hermione! Fun chapter! One thing ... fairly recently, I read a journal entry by a Romani person who was offended by the term "gypsy" so your use of the word "gypped" made me wince a little.
Katamabob chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
War is always fun. Uh... not really, but this one sounds hilarious .
Amanda-Rae 1019 chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
PROFESSOR!" Harry shrieked. "This is our war! Stop meddling!"

Priceless absolutely priceless
MisterTabi chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
You really did some major worldbuilding in terms of transfiguration. Yours was especially good because of one thing: It made absolute sense.

Also, McGonagall should be in Slytherin.
Stick97 chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
I can't wait till these two get older. Rowling has no idea of tension. This is tension. This I can believe as a basis for a long fiery relationship.

Douchey Redhead Arse complaining is not.

Can't wait to see what happens next. Good to see this Harry still has challenges.
anon chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
I enjoyed this addition to your fic. The whole thing is really first rate. At it's surface it appears to be a Super!semi-dark!Harry, but when you peal the skin back you see that there is a lot more going on. It's not every day that one finds a really unique and good fic (especially in the huge fandoms like Harry Potter).
BURN3 chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Loved the descriptions of the mechanics of Transfiguration. Your McGonagall is awesome. Thanks.
smartazz chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
How did Draco get turned to a ferret then? if you can't transfigure humans to animals because of death, according to you, Cannon says otherwise.
Targaryen chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
They divided by zero? OH SHI-
wolf550e chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
RE: Author's Notes. Eleven is about the age when Miles used to scare the crap out of his cousin Ivan by flying through the Dendarii mountains with his eyes closed. Your protagonist has a long way to go before he is half as cool as Miles.

RE: "ancient Hebrews". Nothing ancient about it: in Judaism the day begins when the sun sets, and so the Sabbath and the holidays begin in the evening. Non-religious state holidays of the State of Israel (like yesterday's Holocaust Remembrance Day) also begin at sundown. Google returns 400K vs. 80K hits for "morning and evening" vs. the reverse, respectively, in Hebrew, so modern Hebrew appears to be less traditional. The origin of this way of delineating days is from the book of Genesis, chapter 1: "And the evening and the morning were the first day." (quote is from KJV). Verses for other days repeat the pattern.

"whiteboard, complete with markers and eraser" - I think Hogwarts and McGonagall would use a traditional blackboard. But then again, I think it's ludicrous to send pupils to wizarding school on a train that takes all day instead of using the floo or portkeys, so what do I know?

"so can you tell me what's eight, times four, divided by zero?" - What is she calculating?

"And there was evening and there was morning, the first day." - The English Standard Version
Sarah chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
I love, love, love your McGonagall. And I'll be looking forward to your Snape, too, if you don't make him too one dimensional. I like the conflict between Harry and Hermione, it should prove to be interesting. You write the classes neatly. I like the seriousness.
Arkeus chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
mostly agree on everything there- and i always thought it was more or less how it worked in canon.
be'etlh chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
I am not frequently moved to review stories, but I wanted to tell you that I laughed until I cried and think that both you and this story are made of awesome.
jojobevco chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Good Chapter, I hope to have an explanation for Harry's mediocre wand work. Or, I guess it is just the way it is in canon, so that begs the question, why is Hermione better. If it was a simple matter of mental ability and focus then Harry should have blown up hogwarts by now.
Random832 chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
The reasoning behind the rule about transfiguring stuff into liquids or gases or which may be burned and make smoke, taken together with the statement about why it is unsafe to transfigure a person into a steel ball, leads to the inescapable conclusion is that it is not safe to transfigure _anything at all, ever_.

What of the carbon dioxide that the pig breathed out?

The logic behind your rules is unsustainable.
badkidoh chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Another great chapter.
Ceralyn chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Interesting.

Definitely has me anticipating what may happen next, but I won't even pretend to guess...
Bobboky chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
nice
J-Kid chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Heheh. Professor McGonagall fights back with that last bit with the tacked on points! I'm not really feeling sorry for Harry at the moment, though, as lovable as he is.

I take it your transfiguration class is your response to, say, the alchemy of Fullmetal Alchemist series? Very interesting lesson by the way, I enjoyed it a lot and it made a LOT more sense than some things I see in the books or in other fanfiction. The fact that they transfigured live animals in class always seemed a bit squicky to me. . .
Zicou chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Lol how to end a war before it even startedby McGo :)

Great chapter,

Continue,

Z.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Are you SURE Harry's not going to grow up to be a Dark Lord?

Nicely amusing.

~-~

}} "you will not Transfigure any living subject, especially yourselves..."

But Krum and Moody do just that. They suffer no ill effects and this does not SEEM to be un"free" transfiguration.

Also, several canon lessons have them turning animals to things - without incantations and before they learn silent casting.

Also, solids can sublimate or be inadvertently dissolved. And both Molly and McGonagall conjure food, despite the retroactively invented "Gamp's Law".

While we are on it, canon states that food can be changed or multiplied, but this makes no sense as, in all cases *something* is appearing out of the ether and becoming food (or different food) - with no ill effects. I could go on at length - especially when considering the subatomic forces at play and the consequences of even a femto-percent inefficiency - but it seems clear that transfiguration, as presented, is self-contradictory.

~-~

This chapter presents a better theory than canon (which contradicts it, see above), but it still doesn't work. If there is a "charm" (which defies the canon sense of that word) that gives a permanent transfiguration, then how are these developed? Labs would be littered with corpses.

How can adding a command word (charm) make the transfiguration permanent? There is not enough information in an incantation to even describe the geometry of a needle - much less it's chemical composition, plating, mass, etc.

Anyway, valiant effort to bring some sense to canon. But when it comes to physical laws, it may be a fool's errand.

~-~

Good chapter; thanks for the update.
anonymous chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Very interesting far every chapter managed to grab my attention and you tackled some of the consistency problems of HP magic in a nice way.

Aside from explaining McGonagall's sternness as a teacher, you also provided a satisfying explanation why wizard and witches don't engage in physical fighting. It gets oneself in touching distance of the other's wand and consequently in free transfiguration range.

But what does "eight, times four, divided by zero" mean. If it's is about reading speed in books a day it should have been 'eight, divided by four, times zero'. As it is you have '32 book*days divided by zero' as not defined. Its just a single data point, you can't even do a limit analysis.
phoebe turner chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
i loved it!
uo-chou chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Heh, I would imagine that Harry and Hermione will have some interesting times together. So is Neville going to become the third spoke in wheel that is the "golden trio"? I look forward to more, so please keep up the excellent work. A special thanks for turning out chapters so fast.
OrionTheHunter chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Hum, interesting take on transfiguration. Thanks for the update.
Aealket chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Hi,

Thanks for the update. I enjoyed, the ending of the transfiguration class. I really did.

Alan
everetza chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Nice chapter. You seem to have gotten into a good rhythm now, good pace, and I like the characterization and relationships of Harry, Hermione and McGonagall. Looking forward to the next update :)
DaveInACave chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Did Hermione just ask Harry to divide by zero? And there wasn't a giant math-gasm? Not even a little math-gasm? I was expecting Harry to tweak on that to be honest, but oh well. I know it's not being taken literally here and it's just being said to tweak him about Hermione's bizarre reading/retention speeds but still.
JoshuaZ chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Once again, another chapter of this story that is very well done. This chapter doesn't seem to have as much emphasis on direct lessons that the reader can get about how to improve their reasoning but I'm ok with that since the good writing and well-done humor keeps coming.

The careful thinking about how transfiguration works is well done. I very much liked the separation between free transfiguration and other forms both notices an inconsistency in the magic system I had not noticed before and solves it at the same time. This is good: one who notices a problem should try to present a fix for it. (Of course there are many more glaring problems in JK's magic system but that's a separate issue).

The last line of chapter 15 may be a bit too subtle for some. (The line is a quote from the six-day creation story in Genesis at the end of the first day).
Jorlem chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Eight times four, divided by zero?

Wait, divided by zero? That can't be right, at least as far as I know.

Otherwise, thanks for the chapter. I particularly liked the transfiguration rules.
Steven Kodaly chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Minerva McGonagall: One

Harry Potter, Hermione Granger: Zero

The Transfiguration lecture was quite enjoyable; evidence that witches and wizards are in fact competent in their field is a pleasure to behold.
novalis chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Was that you or Harry who made the anatomy error? Wood couldn't get into the bladder without first being in the blood, because liquid in the bladder comes from the kidneys, which filter the blood.
Darth Drafter chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
This is the best reason for McGonagall to be a stern Professor that I've ever read. One would think Transfiguration is a Dark Art with such lethality possible. Just free-transfigure your enemies and run like hell.
omegahurricane chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
in the immortal words of Bill S. Preston Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan: Excellent!
Violet Shadows chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Amusing, probably the best characterization of McGonagall I've seen in recent memory.
gwern chapter 15 . 4/12/2010

Still too heavy on the italics! (Also, spellcheck is your friend.)
what are you even saying chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Those two are truly monstrous in their competition. I love it! Also, great work with McGonagall's transfiguration lesson. One of the most thorough explanations I've seen. And it didn't put me to sleep, which is always a plus.

Looking forward to more.
Sean Mulligan chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
McGonagall seems a lot harsher then in canon.
Wittgen chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Don't get the divided by 0 bit. What with that being all undefined and stuff. Was that a typo?
HP Uni chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
For the recored, Modern Hebrews also considered the boundary of a day to be sunset rather than dawn.
tatewaki2000 chapter 15 . 4/12/2010
Hm.

Me thinks all those promises Harry and etc said were there to be broken.

Me thinks the speech was complete set up for later chapters.

Or (in Harry's case) made for dissection or loophole scavenging.

But it's a guess.