Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
noxenrom chapter 20 . 9/27
I dont get why this story is so hyped.
Weak and pathetic Harry despite his somewhat intelligent behavior.
Story is random and boring.
Beyond Hope chapter 20 . 9/18
I don't know why I read 'science', when Harry said of Science, in the same voice as Austin (guy from Shoddycast, now he's at Game theory, he has SCIENCE videos about games...)
myafroatemydog chapter 20 . 9/15
This was such a well written chapter. I keep hoping quirrel isn't possessed but I know he is and it's sad
GreenThumbTarasova chapter 20 . 8/24
I have to confess, I have never ever really considered the possibility of Quirrel being even a tenth this cool. Color me extremely impressed.
Ambitio chapter 20 . 8/20
Great fic, other than the stab at Atlas Shrugged
Dotika chapter 20 . 7/30
It's 2:33 AM ... I really should stop reading and sleep... BUT Voldemort has a horcrux in SPACE!
And he seems oddly sane... I like it! I can't imagine people following someone purely mad and torture happy, so this is a nice change.
Kimmytrainer chapter 20 . 7/23
This is really cool
GentleSoul76 chapter 20 . 5/1
I love how you're characterizing Voldemort. Or, I think that that's Voldie possessing Quirrel at any rate. Or maybe a mix of their personalities or something, since he hasn't shown any hostility towards Harry yet? (I'm not sure what's up with that. Though the story has just started, and I'm getting sort of conflicting messages. But not, like, obvious hostility. There at least hasn't been any murder attempts that could be Voldemort, but its a bit early in the story for that.)
His lessons are very interesting and I like how he and Harry have a lot in common, and the friendship they're starting to build... its going to break my heart when either one betrays the other. This is a really interesting concept you have going here.
ack1308 chapter 20 . 4/6
Okay, I know it's Voldemort, but he's *cool*.
OedonWrithe chapter 20 . 2/18
Who is this mysterious man

I am like 65% sure it's just Tom Riddle teaching?
w0if chapter 20 . 1/1
ooooh f*ck
Daziy is SoniQ chapter 20 . 10/24/2016
I still don't understand what Dumbledore implied when he said that Quirrel is already doomed. If anyone read this review, could you tell me what was it?
Rambling Drabble chapter 20 . 9/22/2016
1. Beautiful chapter as always. One thing: the foreshadowing is so obvious, looking back; what Harry suggests to Quirrell with regards to the probe...
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 20 . 9/18/2016
Amazing!
Michael chapter 20 . 8/11/2016
Love the space view and loved the NASA plaque! hrm...
YungMoolah chapter 20 . 6/5/2016
Professor Quirrell is bloody amazing, wonderful work on his character!
Guest chapter 20 . 6/1/2016
Oh dear, a competent Q. The explanation of this being a parallel universe is the only thing keeping me happy and sane at the moment.
Amylia chapter 20 . 5/29/2016
Oh, no! But-but Prof. Quirrell is actually...*feels dread* He and Harry are close! DX ... 3
Happy chapter 20 . 5/25/2016
Scary!
Guest chapter 20 . 4/30/2016
I have come to the conclusion that this Harry is a guy who reads alot, not a practioner of logic and reasoning. And i was having such high hopes, ah well what is is.
Distorted Veil chapter 20 . 1/31/2016
Isn't Quirrell Voldemort right now? If so I like him.
Montara chapter 20 . 1/21/2016
His first mentor seems so good for Harry in a way and yet at the end he was kind of telling him that he did a lot of dark things...and Harry accepted them like it was normal...a sure way to the dark side.

It will hurt Harry to find out who Quirrell is, that it was Tom controlling him...: I kind of like Tom's genius, even though it's dark.
Pom Rania chapter 20 . 12/23/2015
Now THAT is a very important life lesson; know how to lose, and don't escalate things unless ACTUALLY necessary. I wish I'd known that years ago; and I still can't say I know it. But I'll try.
The Anguished One chapter 20 . 12/19/2015
I am now really curious how an alien intelligent enough to understand our message would react to a ghost...
Guest chapter 20 . 12/19/2015
You know, canon Harry really should have learned how to protect his mind from people. It would have made a lot of sense. Oh well, this version will learn. I like the relationship forming between Harry and Quirrell. I wonder if Quirrell's thoughts on science will leave Harry pondering man's ability to control such power.
Grissina chapter 20 . 12/12/2015
I wonder if harry is making friends with quirrell, voldemort or both...
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 20 . 12/6/2015
The question of nuclear weapons is a difficult one. If the scientists at Los Alamos hadn't given them to the government, would we have found another way to end the war? Or would Germany have found them and dropped them on the US first, ending the war that way? Not an easy question, though Quirrell's view makes a lot of sense.

I love the concept of that spell; I wish it could exist for real
Guest chapter 20 . 12/4/2015
Wow! Reading this chapter was amazing! I would say i had some kind of enlightment :D. Really looking forward to the rest. Thanks a lot for this awesome work!
Crack-jouchan chapter 20 . 11/8/2015
Ah... If first year goes to canon, I'll be really sad. Somehow, Quirrel has become a really likeable character that I do not want dead.
PugTheMagician chapter 20 . 10/17/2015
i liked these chapters. i am surprised at how sensitive harry is too dissapointing mcgonnagal. i like that you had harry become addicted to using the time turner as he did seem to be using it irrisponsibly. i really like the quirrel in this story so far as he is quite different from anything i have seen before. i am surprised that you have harry having difficulty in performing spells, though i assume that is mostly because he is too ingrained with the laws of physics to truly expect to defy them each time he casts a spell. i think my favorite thing i have seen so far is mcgonnagals lecture on the dangers of transfiguration as honestly i had never even thought of half of that. i wonder if you can use transfiguration in battle like that? say, chuck a rock at someones head, transfigure it to water in the air, wait till at least some of it has gotten on their face, cancel the transfiguration and watch them in agony of having sharp pieces of rock lodged in their eyes and throat. dumbledore was absolutely bonkers and i like that as i had never seen that before. from how you wrote it i actually believed that fawkes didn't exist in this story and he really did torch a live chicken for shits and giggles. i thought harry's talk quirrell was very good, and was very surprised at his reaction to nuclear physics.
ShadowLDrago chapter 20 . 10/15/2015
Yes, Quirrell does win a lot here.
ScribblesinDirt chapter 20 . 10/9/2015
Meanwhile at squeeville: This has definitely become my new favorite thing. Normally I'd forgo sleep to finish this entire thing in one sitting, but I'm under the weather and sadly it will have to wait. A large portion of me is going to be very disappointed if that isn't Voldemort speaking through Quirrell. However, the rest of me remains skeptical as that has already been done - so wouldn't that qualify as breaking one of your rules of fanfiction?
Oh! Speaking of which, I think I agree with you on those. They seem to be a very useful tool-set and I will try my best to learn and emulate your genius.
P. P. P chapter 20 . 9/13/2015
This was, well I can't really describe it accurately. It seems that Dumbledore and Quirrell know that Quirrell will meet his end by Harry. Also, I can't believe Quirrell would be willing to serve under Harry should Harry decide to become a dark lord. But what Quirrell did for Harry is as important to him being good as it is useful to becoming a successful dark lord.
Guest chapter 20 . 8/31/2015
an awesome quirrel? wow
Radon088 chapter 20 . 8/27/2015
So I didn't say everything I meant to in that last review so I'll say it in this one. I don't think psychology works the way you think it does man. Especially among children.

I mean a grown adult can watch something like that and feel more respect for someone after its finished but children most certainly don't have that kind of depth to their understanding or their emotions.
Ashzaroth chapter 20 . 8/26/2015
Wow. im VERY surprised at quirrel. And he immediately has turned into my favorite character out of ALL the FF ive EVER read. Even more than luna lovevood. thats saying much.
Kabs chapter 20 . 7/21/2015
You are a really amazing, brilliant author.
n-khotomos chapter 20 . 6/30/2015
I really enjoy your work so far, but I notice your characters discussions, like your writing itself, are overwhelmingly dominated by the use of logos. IRL, the utter lack of pathos and ethos would cause Harry to lose every argument you've put him in, ESPECIALLY the one with Dumbledore, Snape, and McGonigal (even including his boy-who-lived status as an use of ethos) whom command all three of these tools of argument in the original work.

In your writing, this becomes especially apparent if we recognize the fact that many of the readers were surprised by the "Dark side" thing (I looked through the reviews; its not just me). Since Harry is primarily a creature of logic, his rage seemed more like slightly-angry-logical-guy than ready-to-tear-down-mountains-and-slaughter-people-guy since he doesn't spare feelings even when he's not angry.

I say this knowing a fanfic is certainly not your Magnus Opum, and we readers will see truly breathtaking work from you as you balance and perfect your writing. Good luck.

(I haven't gotten far enough to know whether you've already overcome this issue even in HPMOR, as a small disclaimer)
PA chapter 20 . 5/17/2015
Well then, it will be interesting to see the end of "Book 1" for certain.
Arafell chapter 20 . 3/31/2015
Minor spoilers.

"I don't want to be a Dark Lord," says Harry.

"Why not?" asks Quirrel.

. . . It's amazing the things you pick up rereading.
cztelnik chapter 20 . 3/28/2015
Be careful who you make your Hero's Harry.
Mu chapter 20 . 3/24/2015
"It was long ago, and I resolved my parental issues to my own satisfaction."

knowing now who is speaking, in the fullness of the story arcs revealed, this is a dark statement indeed.
Village-Mystic chapter 20 . 3/21/2015
.. and presumably picked up his stuff. He didn't leave without his wand?
Beabop chapter 20 . 3/18/2015
So...this is the chapter where Dumbledore employs the strategy of appearing to lose a battle with Quirrel for Harry's loyalty.
hisnhers chapter 20 . 3/17/2015
Interesting conversation here between Harry and Quirrell. However, I can't help but to see correlations between them and two others, namely: Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin... hmmm let me think, how did that relationship turn out? Of course in the end Anakin made the right choice. Let's hope Harry's a bit quicker on the uptake than the whiny teenager, Anakin, was. oi.

-his
4everfictional chapter 20 . 3/13/2015
Wow. Just... wow. :)
Jason chapter 20 . 3/6/2015
My suspension of disbelief about Harry is general seems to be waning as the chapters go on.
Gudoluk chapter 20 . 2/25/2015
I'm re-reading the story and everything is jumping out at me now that the finale is coming to a close. This is literally fantastic and mind boggling. The Pioneer plaque is so blatant now and it's like the story is different now.
catspaw439 chapter 20 . 2/21/2015
Sorry. I meant more that I disagree with the way Harry learned the point about learning how to fail. The other points I still disagree with.
jegraves chapter 20 . 2/7/2015
There is entirely too much indignation in this story. That emotion may be fun to write but it gets really old to read.

I hate this. But I don't want to stop reading it. Why? I don't understand.
ZapTheMutant chapter 20 . 2/7/2015
PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY! Also, random piece of wisdom/evilness: Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard!
Guest chapter 20 . 1/4/2015
Does quill die I want him to
NourForce chapter 20 . 12/31/2014
If I were JKR I'd be a tad jealous by now.
Mercy Of Baal chapter 20 . 12/25/2014
This chapter always takes my breath away.
TheButterflyComposer chapter 20 . 12/24/2014
Oh for the love of god Quirrel, nukes might...might destroy all life on earth.
What's the big deal with that?
You're capable of creating a 'true image' of the Milky Way galaxy and yet you can't see a bigger picture?
It's not like everything on the planet will one day be dead and ash, rendering the cause of the deaths of everything moot.
Put simply, it doesn't matter if we all die today or when the universe ends, because it WILL end in either case.
N. E. Person chapter 20 . 11/10/2014
Why does Harry trust Quirrell if he doesn't trust Draco? They both seem to be doing the same things here... :-
Kitachi chapter 20 . 10/11/2014
"Step one is to become a scientist."

I fell in love with your Harry the moment he said this. Maybe I'm a narcissist, because I came to this conclusion too while pondering what direction to take in order to change the world I feel so unsatisfied with. Anyway, I just stared at the words and I wanted to scream "Finally, someone else who sees it." Even if he is a fictional character, and his views are not necessarily yours. I know for a fact I am not the only one, but this is literally the first time I have encountered someone who would answer the question "How do you propose to reshape reality as we know it?", the same way I would (real person or not). Thank you.
Z chapter 20 . 9/30/2014
"Don't be," said Professor Quirrell. "It was long ago, and I resolved my parental issues to my own satisfaction.
Didn't he kill his family?
Midan no Hatake chapter 20 . 9/3/2014
And here in this we have Harry being taken down peg by peg by people around him.
alix33 chapter 20 . 8/31/2014
No savoury snacks in that room, where Harry only ate, not thought or read? Like pizza, buttered popcorn, crisps?
Anastasoula chapter 20 . 8/20/2014
Definitely a horcrux, then. I remember back when I realized what the "cursing the Pioneer plaque" meant I had the most amazing mind blowing experience ever.
Quirrell's still totally Volds.
StackofStories chapter 20 . 8/15/2014
Voldy makes a good mentor. I refuse to believe this is actually Professor Quirrell, which brings me to my next point why is Harry suddenly so lax in his presence. A couple of chapters earlier did he not want to approach Quirrell and ask him a few questions, but his mind told him to stay away. It was like a really, really had idea?!

And that losing thing. I'm not quite sure on how I feel about that… maybe, it's because I'm just a regular person who has a healthy sense in knowing when to withdraw and when to fight. And I don't have a high IQ and I mostly take everything in stride without thinking twice unless my gut tells me wrong and it goes against my personal morals. I digress. Sorry.

YOU HAVE SOME PRETTY GROOVY IDEAS! So original! :D
Redery chapter 20 . 8/13/2014
I know this is an AU but I don't get how quirrell is so awesome? And where the heck is his turban ?
thepkrmgc chapter 20 . 8/2/2014
considering the scope of this AU its plausible that quirrell donest have voldy in his skull: I really hope that this is the case becouse your take on quirrel is awesome
Meatball42 chapter 20 . 7/27/2014
As much as I adore the characterization, creativity, foresight, and general brilliance of this fic, I've spent a disproportionate amount of time in the last few hours either shaking or crying, so my overall opinion is a bit ambiguous. I've spent a lot of resources trying not to think as much as this story has made me think. Congratulations on that front. It's just way too logical and lovely. I don't suppose you have any methods for dealing with reading too much intelligence?
FashionablyHospitable chapter 20 . 7/25/2014
Oh, fudge.

It's a horcrux.

...

Screwed.
zolydck chapter 20 . 7/23/2014
Naruto's totally on his way to become a "Friendly Darklord" cough* Lightlord xd

I love how you can write a character with such dark underlining motives and present it in such a positive light. No offense to JK rowling, but an actually morally grey protagonists is much more interesting then goody two shoes one she gave us. (Not to mention the fantastic character development and build up).

Anyways, I can't wait to read more. I have had a fantastic read so far but unfortunately I will have to wait till tomorrow to continue my HP journey. Keep up the fantastic work.
Foxy-Floof chapter 20 . 7/3/2014
Damn. So is Quirrell Voldy-possessed or not?

MindBlown to subatomic particles and lots and lots of photons.
Alarose chapter 20 . 6/17/2014
Omg, did voldemort turn the satellite into a horcrux?!
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 20 . 6/15/2014
Voldemort gone nuclear
n4zhg chapter 20 . 6/2/2014
Please tell me Voldemort didn't turn the Pioneer 11 plaque into a horcrux.
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 20 . 5/17/2014
I want.
O chapter 20 . 5/8/2014
Review 2:

Wait, so what happens if a Horcrux falls into a black hole? :\
ArcanePracti-cat chapter 20 . 4/13/2014
Um.
Good writing, but I'm afraid I'm going to stop reading this. Harry is... I don't know how to describe it, but I don't like him.
Hnnnnn.
Anonymous chapter 20 . 3/11/2014
I have three pieces of criticism for you.

The first is that Voldemort is out of character, and it stretches disbelief that he was still Voldemort, given who he appears to be now. Assuming, of course, that Quirrell is still possessed by Voldemort now.
In canon he's an utter racist -, and by extension, attracts other racist -s to his cause. If you make him more intelligent, as you seem to have done, you lose the blinding utter racist - charisma that he had before: even if he has charisma and intelligence, the Death Eaters would not still follow someone who actually thinks to do things like sneak into NASA and horcrux the Pioneer Plaque because he's smarter than them.

Secondly, Quirrell's lecture on the Killing Curse working on everything and Apparation working on everything else was moronic, for the following reasons:
1) The Killing Curse is not simply a point and shoot weapon like a handgun. It requires the user to actively desire the death of the subject. It cannot be used in self defense.
2) The Killing Curse does not affect things that are already dead, such as vampires, zombies, or inferi. It has also not been confirmed to affect Boggarts, which are common household pests and can't be Apparated away from because they camp your house.
3) Apparition is dangerous to use under stressful circumstances, such as when being attacked by an anything. (See, e.g., Ron Weasley in "Deathly Hallows".)
4) The darkest things most wizards are expected to fight ARE common household pests. The classes are required for OWLs, which are general education, not for Aurors specifically.

In other words, there are darned good reasons for teaching methods other than "spam Killing Curses and Apparition" for fighting monsters, particularly both common household pests and terrifying creatures. Using Avada Kedavra on pests is sort of like using a shotgun to hunt mice - it would work, but it's massive overkill

The third thing is that your ten year olds are out of character for ten year olds to an even more dramatic degree than the ones in the original were. 10-11 year olds have unfinished frontal lobes, which control . . . rational thought. By Piaget's model, they are just entering the formal operational stage, which allows for abstract thought. So, Harry shouldn't be able to reason on the same level as grownups, which is something he more or less takes for granted, and an ability he apparently has in this one.

That last one is probably least important, since nobody else writes their 10-year-olds like 10-year-olds either. But it is egregious since the whole story is about science that such a scientific error should allow for its existence. Particularly true if Harry is supposed to be genetically identical to the canon Harry, who was pretty average intelligence-wise, so a higher IQ or other genetic mutation for improved brain-meats can't explain the difference.

Well, I'm just some anonymous reviewer and this is a big popular story, and all my problems with it cropped up in the first 20 chapters when it's now over 100 long, so it's likely that it won't change anything.
Sailor Saturn fan chapter 20 . 3/9/2014
The outer space that they were in was an awesome thing to write about! Fascinating! Also, Harry disliking Dumbledore? This sure is a different Harry Potter. I actually like the relationship Quirrel and Harry have. It's dark but humorous and emotional in a way. And Harry learning Occlumency at a young age is great! I guess this Quirrel is not paired up with Voldemort... I think? Review later!

-Saturn
Sparkysbro chapter 20 . 2/10/2014
Ok, this chapter makes up for a whole lot of the previous pain.
Vampires2rocks chapter 20 . 2/6/2014
...is this a story where Moldy-shorts never got to Quirrell, or a story where he completely took him over?

Vamp
Talonis Wolf chapter 20 . 1/27/2014
Opps, got caught up in the story...

Well, nothing really stood out other than Quirrell. But in a good way!

Earlier, Harry had the bad feeling about shaking Quirrell's hand, but now they are quickly becoming quite close. Is Voldermort possessing Quirrell, and if he is, is Quirrell winning or is it Voldermort in control? If Voldermort is in control, why is he helping Harry? Is he taking advantage of Quirrell's list? Has Voldermort learnt the martial arts from his mind?

So many questions in LESS THAN ONE CHAPTER. All of which hook the reader rather than deter them? That is impressive.

By the way, Quirrell is the first wizard to hate Muggles /as a whole/ with /good reason/. This is a first, even if that reason isn't 100% legitimate.
Lunaris-wind chapter 20 . 1/17/2014
This story bugs me to no end. I started reading it today, and thus far I have smiled, laughed, cursed, hated, and many other thing towards your story. I do not line Harry very much, and the actions of some of the professors has been so ridiculous, I don't even know what to make of them, except for the 99% sure feeling that Tom Riddle is the actual DADA professor. I just... Sigh. I have no idea what to say. I'm not sure I've ever read something I so liked and disliked at the same time. :/ and so, I keep reading, for now.
Grizzmon chapter 20 . 1/13/2014
So, Mouldy Shorts wants to be Harry teacher?
Dramien chapter 20 . 1/10/2014
This is my first chapter review... more of a comment rather than a review of the whole chapter.
This chapter gets weirder by the letter, and I am hooked on to this fan fic. This comment is mainly considering the part of the star gazing and the beauty of Nature. This idea came to my mind when Dumbledore asks Harry what he had to eat to check if Quirrel was performing Legilimency on Harry. I do not know if anyone has mentioned this before. When Dumbledore asks him about the food, for some reason my mind jumped to what Quirrel had left for Harry to eat as snacks. This being a scientific fan fic, I thought that maybe Quirrel had laced the snacks with LSD or something similar, and that the effect of it obviously takes time to kick in, and that was the whole idea behind Harry seeing the Universe. This was sort of my interpretation of the idea of losing oneself, and how it drains you after the fact, and how it was difficult for Quirrel to perform the spell again. Just a thought to put out there.
Wanderer in the Night chapter 20 . 1/3/2014
This just gets weirder and weirder. But I can't stop reading!

Even though this version of Quirrell is obviously Slytherin, he's actually in Ravenclaw. I hate it when people think that Quirrell was deliberately evil - he was just curious, cowardly, and a little bit foolish in the pursuit of knowledge.
kharmachaos chapter 20 . 12/29/2013
I can't even bloody EXPLAIN JUST HOW AWESOME THIS STORY IS.
Well, I could, but it would take a test of how much characters this text box can take to its further limits.
ABSOLUTELY. AMAZING.
Now, here, I would normally be like "this is amazing blah blah blah this is one of the best fics I've ever read", specifically for a few very good fanfics on this site and only a handful of authors.
THIS FIC, right here, takes every one of those beloved works and throws them out the window.
I LITERALLY do not think I will EVER find as good a fic as this one, right here, right now.
More attention grabbing ideas, different and fresh ideas, even more amusing fics I will find. That, I admit. But this one, this one... Is Golden.
Stratre chapter 20 . 12/27/2013
this fic both makes my head hurt and keeps me ingrossed damn you and your clever deduction of facts mixed with fiction its making me miss sleep .
onlytoask chapter 20 . 11/30/2013
I don't really have anything bad I could say about this. I am not the least bit squeamish about bad things happening to characters, I am fairly certain the combination of George Martin's Game of Thrones and LD1449's Naruto fic Lost Soul have beaten it out of me, so I don't mind Harry's beatdown and I rather like when main characters are dark in some manner. It makes stories far more interesting and gives an element of reality that, "Harry Potter/Naruto is just the bestest/nicest/lightest/most moral character ever" simply can not contend with. I think the only thing besides those two that anyone could possibly complain about is Harry's seemingly immediate personality change. It makes perfect sense though so I don't see any reason to complain. Before he was a simple muggle boy who could never, as you put it, "lose". He kept "winning" until he was isolated and thus never really had the opportunity to reach the point where he would go all minor psychopath. So for all that all I can really say is that I like the Harry/Draco interaction and that I hope it will not become romantic.
567zoock67 chapter 20 . 11/16/2013
This chapter was epic. Thanks for writing this story and then sharing it with us. I truly had a wonderful read, and I'll continue reading.

I thought Professor Quirrell was beyond cool in this one, and the things that they discussed were really interesting. I love how you put all these science, philiosophy and other interesting categories of thought and morals into your stories. Sometimes I swear I'm not only enjoying the series of events, but also learning something from reading this myself.
Greg Charles chapter 20 . 9/29/2013
Your color looks a little off, Harry.
- if you're trying to Anglicize everything, it should be colour.
addikhabbo chapter 20 . 8/15/2013
Sad. Harry's gonna kill Quirrel. So sad.
BarbaraKaterina chapter 20 . 8/7/2013
I really should have gotten to this chapter yesterday. Or the day after tomorrow (which has an ominous ring to it in and of itself, even without the date). Even though Voldemort doesn't need to tell the secrets of magic to anyone to be able to say that 'he is become Death,' though he *is* perhaps still a few steps away from destroyer of worlds. And he is not blue, at any rate.

I'm more and more curious about your Quirrell. It's taking a lot of self-restraint not to just read this story to the end, thus sacrificing the rest of today, and probably tomorrow, but I'll do my best to control myself.
Netchka chapter 20 . 8/1/2013
Uh huh. Interesting.
Cemalidor chapter 20 . 7/3/2013
Mind blown... again... and i strongly suspect that Dumbledore was right about Harry loosing Quirell.
Anon chapter 20 . 7/3/2013
Still reading instead of sleeping or being productive in my insomnia... I regret nothing!
Alissie chapter 20 . 6/30/2013
Interesting chapter... very interesting...

Harry, you are SO gonna be a Dark Lord. Or a Light Lord. A Mixed Lord. Oh, who even knows? You'll do big things, I'm sure. ;D

It's 7:13am. I've been reading for...3.5 hours? Maybe 4? I think it's time for a nap. When I can't sleep tomorrow night, though...I'll be here!
mutecebu chapter 20 . 6/5/2013
The space scene is one of the most iconic moments in this story.
Laugh Counter chapter 20 . 5/29/2013
Laugh count is 0
Inkbait chapter 20 . 5/26/2013
Quite possible the greatest characterization of Quirrell I have ever read. I am going to miss him when he is gone but I cant wait to see what else he will do!
The OC Bro chapter 20 . 5/7/2013
Mind blown
RussianDestruction chapter 20 . 4/23/2013
Man, Quirrell is just AWESOME. I'm so curious where you're going with him. I assume he does have Voldie stuck to his head, just like in canon, seeing as some chapters back, Harry had narrowed down his scar pain to when he was facing the back of Quirrell's head...So intrigued!
sww11685 chapter 20 . 4/17/2013
Great chapter
Mat chapter 20 . 3/10/2013
Your writing is shit and I give up on this story. A bit of advice on sucking less- the only character voice you ever offer is your own, and covering it up with TV Tropes slang doesn't cover it. Work on that.
hervissa chapter 20 . 3/1/2013
Quirell can see the space. Wow. I still don't like him, but my respect for him grows xD
And Harry will learn Occlumency? Great! Maybe this time he will actually get it ;)
...and I don't EVER wish to meet Dumbes In Rage. It seems SCARY. Really scary.
Quirell messing with the golden plaque...hmmm...did Voldy think about going out of the Solar system, I wonder? :D
Great chapter, even that a bit...mysterious :D

hervissa :)
Rishabh chapter 20 . 2/23/2013
Wow, this fan fiction has me hooked! very intelligent plots and informative too.
I loved the star gazing part, the first time I really saw the stars was a profound experience to say the least.
Its sad that most people miss out on such a beautiful experience, thanks to light 'pollution' washing over the night sky. Somewhere far away from city lights, on a cloudless, moonless night, when the dark sky turns a velvet black and you see the stars as studded diamonds. And as you keep staring, your eyes adjust to the darkness, pupils dilate and you notice fainter stars, creamy yellow with hints of blue and red. now the sky is filled with so many stars you mistaken them for glowing clouds.
Thats when the depth and distances hit me and i understood why our galaxy was named the milky way. You cant see anything bigger or farther than this and you cant possibly comprehend how big this visible universe is. That is a humbling experience and i would only wish every person to experience it in their lifetimes.
Skaz Wolfman chapter 20 . 2/14/2013
Oh my. Who knows where this'll lead.
Endless Strategy Games chapter 20 . 2/11/2013
It just occurred to me: Quirrell didn't cast any barrier charms in this chapter. That mention of his meddling with the Pioneer Plaque could have been overheard. It just seems somewhat careless, even if Wizards are mostly unconcerned with such things.
Guest chapter 20 . 2/5/2013
Can this still be the Voldemort possessed Quirrell?
Could be. Maybe not ...
NEED to read on!
Harrypotterfan chapter 20 . 2/3/2013
While i do like the concept of the fanfic, the dialogue is really...clunky and all the characters seem to speak in the same, intelligent and over analyzing way. And i have to keep reminding myself its in an alternate universe because there seems to be quite a bit more knowledge of the muggle world here than in the original series.
Enei Emmu chapter 20 . 2/3/2013
Wait a minute! Harry doesn't know about the Philosopher's Stone! He's barely even met Hagrid, who was supposed to tell him how to get past Fluffy! And he's not on the Quidditch team! That means Quirrell's attempt on his life can't happen, in turn meaning Hermione won't become suspicious of Snape. Speaking of which, Harry and Quirrell are rather chummy. How does that work, with Voldemort attached to the back of his head? For that matter, canon Harry killed Quirrell! Quirrell's a good guy in this fic! Worst of all, if he goes after the Stone, Harry will have no idea about it!
In fact, Harry and Draco are working together. That means they won't end up in the forbidden forest. Harry won't meet Voldemort while he's drinking unicorn blood, and that's a problem too...
What the bloody hell is going on!?
boxcat chapter 20 . 1/27/2013
"It's a book that my parents wouldn't let me read because they thought it would corrupt me, so of course I read it anyway and I was offended they thought I would fall for any traps that obvious. Blah blah blah, appeal to my sense of superiority, other people are trying to keep me down, blah blah blah."

hahah my dad got genuinely mad at me when he found me reading the fountainhead. what a load of crap! anyway, this is one of the funniest fics i've ever read and i can't seem to stop reading it! i'm in awe of your skills...
petalene chapter 20 . 1/27/2013
Wow. Just wow. Harry and Quirrell as allies. I didn't see that comming, and yet its such an intriguing twist.
BreeDante23 chapter 20 . 1/5/2013
...okay fine. I don't hate Quirrell. But I do hate the way he went about that lesson and I hate that lesson. The petulant child in me wants Harry to turn, well not evil per say, but maybe dark for a little while. Just to avenge his dignity at the hands of his professors ... and possibly the hat and headmaster. Like I said, petulant child.
Guest chapter 20 . 1/3/2013
Is Quirrel being possessed by Voldie, or is his behavior all Quirrel?
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 20 . 12/18/2012
At this point in reading I'm having doubts that Quirrell has Parisite!Voldamort attatched to him...
StrangeoneXD chapter 20 . 12/17/2012
...Space huh, interesting
Noradin chapter 20 . 11/29/2012
It seems you used up rule two for two different things, but I'm too lasy go back and search for it without a search function.
Tinithor chapter 20 . 11/16/2012
Why in the world is this story so focused on Harry potentially being a "Dark" Lord? So far the worst thing he's even done was play a harmless prank on Neville of all people (and i don't count that, because there is such a thing as being too thin skinned and that's Neville's problem more than anyone else's honestly).

He clearly cares about morality and doing what's good for people as a whole. It is not an uncommon desire to be able to understand the way things work, and the point of being able to understand is so that you could then use that understanding to do new things, and what would all that knowledge be worth if you didn't then put it to work to effectively change the world for the better? To want to bring about change does not mean that one is evil.

I suppose i may be a bad judge of character, but i haven't really seen anything that labels harry as bad in this story to be honest. He just thinks differently than other people, but he doesn't wish to truly harm anyone, which is what Dark Lords generally want to do, otherwise they wouldn't be called dark, they'd just be influential leaders. Harry is just a ridiculously intelligent kid who isn't exactly as mature about dealing with situations as he thinks he is. This is something that he would grow out of as he got older in my opinion.
Science Lover chapter 20 . 11/10/2012
I am so completely enthralled with this story. I literally cried when Quirrell cast the Space Spell. As a fan of space travel myself, I know exactly how Harry must have felt in that moment. Also, when Quirrell revealed that he had cast a spell on the golden plate, my jaw dropped open much in the same way that. I'm sure, Harry's must have. I've never read the Harry Potter books, but I feel there's a very low probability that I would enjoy them more that this masterpiece.
I can't wait to have children, just so one day they can be old enough to read this. It's not everyday that a story speaks so highly and poetically of the magic of science. How could anyone not want to be a scientist after reading this.
I've heard that you have a blog, where you further elaborate on the laws and theories presented in this story. I can't wait to learn more. As a future teacher, I hope I can instill a love of science in my students, the same way you are reawakening the love of science within me
Smozzick chapter 20 . 10/31/2012
Please tell me he didn't make the plaque into a horcrux o.o

Interesting read though I've read a lot of it before. I was surprised when I found out this had gained something like 13000 reviews, though.
LunaSakne chapter 20 . 10/10/2012
Still reading. Increasingly amazed.
Guest chapter 20 . 9/12/2012
I know this is an old story but I have to say that it is tryuky great and funny. I caanot wait to finish it. One question (which i probably will find the answer to later) is Quirell being controlled by Voldermort while he teaches/ talks to Harry because i remember something about zombie Quirell where he was jittery and nervous. Anyway, great story! Cant wait to read the rest! :)
Mer-des-Miroirs chapter 20 . 9/1/2012
It is about a week, that I wanted to write a rather long and pretentious review (still underway, maybe), but instead found myself re-reading your story (slower, more focused); doodling an ever expanding series of fanart (varios stages, from almost done to sketch, to mental imagery; delivered once done); crossreferencing applied reality (with varying success, yet it is inspirational); seeing a "ship", where none is intended (it has a... calming effect); skipping over not mine reviews (varying stages of moral development about the first thing to be recognised, almost amused a notion); and crying. Crying for the sad, tremendous beaty of stars. Apparently this moment, when my heart hurts too much to have stopped (too large, too beautiful), is the one I shed away my barriers, and write a simple "Thank You".

Thank You.
Y.Rako chapter 20 . 8/19/2012
I have come to accept Quirrell's sentiment considering nuclear weapons.
Considering the extremist groups and countries, like the Iranian government for example; the future technology that will allow for even easier production of WMDs; and such things as suitcase nukes, that can show us what a fragile glass jaw our society has.
I believe that perhaps it would have been best if scientists smart enough to crack the atom had realized that politicians, and maybe even religious people as a whole, are not suited to hold the keys of nuclear weaponry.
Guest chapter 20 . 8/3/2012
Not quite sure what to think of Quirrell now, other than that he's an awesome guy. Lots of excellent dialogue in this chapter.
voodooqueen126 chapter 20 . 8/1/2012
Quirrel was such loser in the books.
Poetheather1 chapter 20 . 7/28/2012
Another awesome chapter. That spell to take you in to outer space was completely awesome. Very cool. This version of Quirrell is very interesting and I kind of like him. This AU is very cool. Very well done and I look forward to reading more.
Satirica chapter 20 . 7/16/2012
I have decided to feel neutral about Quirrell's character and leave it at that for now...the problem I now have to face (though it's been a few chapters since I first realized it) is that the world seems a bit more...erratic.
Fudgecicles chapter 20 . 7/14/2012
wow. professor quirrell does win. that's awesome! 8D. the two of them are going to be great friends, i can already tell.
landofmyth chapter 20 . 7/9/2012
Alright, after this chapter, I have to say that if Quirrel has anything but Harry's (supposed) best interests at heart, I will be a tad disappointed. Even if he ends up Dark, I feel like he should at least be trying to persuade Harry over to his point of view in an attempt to access his full potential, rather than be trying to manipulate him into a state of vulnerability and strike when least expected. Harry has decided to trust Quirrel, it seems, and if this trust is betrayed by one of only two adults to whom it had been afforded, it could cause irreparable damage to his psyche and permanently inhibit his ability to trust others. Then again, before creation comes destruction ... I eagerly anticipate the time when true loyalties are revealed.
Serena Katarina chapter 20 . 7/8/2012
Please, I have to know- was the wording of Harry's dialogue when he spoke to Quirrell while he saw the stars, was that a reference to Elfquest? Specifically, from Issue 13 of the Original Quest in the scene where Skywise speaks to Aroree after seeing the stars from the sky for the first time.
Zach Szreter chapter 20 . 6/13/2012
I think I'm in love with this book...if that's possible.
Abor Sapienti chapter 20 . 6/10/2012
Quite simply, the best way I could possibly summarize the brilliance of Harry-Potter-Evans Verres and his exploits is this: Using the Orion’s Arm universe’s concept of Bayesjutsu

eg-article/4d5bed5d75e21
cherapin chapter 20 . 6/6/2012
This chapter is like icing on the cake of the previous two chapters which were: [1] the glorious, victorious rage and [2] the utterly demeaning acceptance of learning to lose. Ah, that starry vision that Quirrel granted Potter was . . . beyond description and worth a lifetime of effort to achieve.
GravekeeperBat chapter 20 . 5/29/2012
... Oh holy crap, your Professor Quirrell is the most, most.. .AWESOME character I have ever, ever read right now!

...I don't wanna go to bed, I wanna keep reading...
HerGoldenHair chapter 20 . 5/23/2012
Have come to the belated realization that you're actually brilliant.
Pajaro Negro chapter 20 . 5/14/2012
Oh no, a Horcrux? Is that how the spell works? He just accesses that part of himself?
I Read For the Content chapter 20 . 4/16/2012
My confusion continues to mount...
natsu.point chapter 20 . 4/10/2012
"Understanding and controlling the universe." To those that are wondering yes this is an actual fact that science want to achieve. Anyway there is a scientist that I know that said that this is really a scary thought and what he said that science should be about understanding and with that participating with nature and not dominating it. And I agree with him.
kattastic999 chapter 20 . 4/3/2012
This entire story is hilarious.
Mavarax chapter 20 . 3/28/2012
That is actually quite a good point. In hindsight it would've made more sense to create a conspiracy to keep the secret than to release it to the world. That said, if it wasn't for nuclear weapons America would've been forced to invade Japan, an operation predicted to cause about twice as many casualties as WW2
Mech87 chapter 20 . 3/19/2012
I couldn't really help but think just how terrible a dark lord Voldemort could be if he learned that patience he is missing...
SqrlLrd chapter 20 . 3/12/2012
You sem to have a pattern. Confuse the hell out of us for the first half wondering just where is this going, then use the rest of the chapter to get us to see the reason for it, a bit, maybe... I think... these are not the droids your looking for.
The Blind One chapter 20 . 2/23/2012
I am suspicious on general grounds of any edibles that Quirrell provides for Harry. I know he's not going to outright poison him - he's got longer-range plans than that - but there's got to be *something* he could do with food.

"His becoming a copy of You-Know-Who." Potential Horcruxity notwithstanding.

Okay, Quirrell knows or strongly suspects something about Harry's dark side that he's not telling. Horcrux leakage, battle-hardened-older-self leakage, I dunno. I'm kind of suspicious of the assumption that his expression at any given moment is any indication of what's going on in his head (and a strange expression would certainly fit the persona he's adopted here, as well as reality), but... I repeat, aaaaargh.

The Exact Words bit with the considering is a nice bit of bite-sized funny in between the parts that are tying my brain in knots. Complicated knots.

"When I was your age, that thought could not ever have come to me." I wonder which "your age" he means - certainly Riddle's, but possibly Quirrell's too? Also, "resolved my parental issues to my own satisfaction." By a nice spot of murder, in Riddle's case, if that went according to canon.

Harry's ambition is a thing of beauty.

"Professor Quirrell was looking at Harry as if he'd just turned into a cat." Ha, I spy a callback! But surely Quirrell shouldn't be that turned off by science and/or Muggle things in general, in light of later information. Yes, he's rightfully indignant over nuclear weapons, but there's more to science, as we shall shortly see.

"Said something that Harry's ears and mind couldn't grasp at all, words that bypassed awareness and vanished into oblivion." Why, I wonder, should that be the case? Unless this is in fact the view from Pioneer, which Harry ought to be kin to, in a sense...?

Now I've got tears in my eyes too. When you get all inspirational about science, you do it WELL.

"Legilimency is sometimes mistaken for common sense." Now where have I heard something very like that before?

Okay, why on Earth (or anywhere else in the galaxy, for that matter) does Quirrell want Harry to learn Occlumency. To keep Dumbledore and Snape and whomever else out of their scheming, I guess. He's sure enough of his own Legilimency that he thinks he's not going to block himself from any information by it. Canon!Riddle was a fine Legilimens, after all, though Snape was a better Occlumens. You'd think if they've been through this before he'd know that. Ah, theorizing is such fun.

I'd forgotten we learnt about Pioneer this early on. This is absolute genius on your part, y'know. I suspect Quirrell's grin is as much genuine pride at his own ingenuity as it is acting. Oh, if only Harry knew how well Quirrell *did* win by doing that.

So, Quirrell could've adopted any persona he wanted for this year, and nobody'd notice this wasn't how he behaved before. Brilliant.
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 20 . 2/18/2012
Review Number 3 That is All About Quirrell: Now I'm beginnign to think that maybe he *is* the real Quirreel; just the real Quirrell who was never possessed by Voldemort. That would be interesting, and given some other small changes I've noticed (Dumbledore's brother, off the top of my head), I'm starting to think it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

One thing I really love about fanfiction is that author's get to expand on characters that weren't really delved into in canon, and whether this turns out to be the real Quirrell or not, I'm really glad that you've done that with his character.
Andromedanaea chapter 20 . 2/17/2012
So there's ahorcrux on pioneer 11?
Kay chapter 20 . 2/11/2012
Professor Q is a master manipulator. And, for that, he is a very scary villain.
Helpful Citizen chapter 20 . 1/27/2012
Anon that asked about the unbreakable bond thing.

Here's my interpretation: Those services are expensive not because of the magic in the unbreakable bond, but because most people don't want to agree to such terms and so it comes at a high price to make them do so. In 74, however, they are saying that since it takes a permanent price, people should try to sell "unbreakable vows" and facilitate as many as possible when they think they are close to dying since they wont be around to pay the price for too long.
anon chapter 20 . 1/26/2012
Okay, so in chapter 20 Quirrel requests that a Occlumency instructor that has taken an Unbreakable Vow to reveal nothing be hired, and Dumbledore responds that such are "extremely expensive". But in chapter 74, Quirrel explains that an Unbreakable Vow requires the binder to "permanently sacrific[e] a small portion of their own magic, to sustain the Vow forever", and that the reason that wizards on their deathbeds don't charge money to bind Vows is that "they are stupid".

...?

(Also, chapter 3 has a typo, "granson" instead of "grandson".)
Anon E. Moose chapter 20 . 12/23/2011
Wait just one minute here. Is Voldemort trying to strengthen Harry? Not to corrupt him, but to turn him into a better Dark Lord, maybe even something surpassing a Dark Lord? Perhaps I'm wrong, no, I'm almost certainly wrong, but it seems to me that the course of actions being taken (if this is indeed Voldemort) are meant to hammer out all of the weaknesses Dark Lords are tainted by... in Harry. Is he trying to "lose", so that he may "win", by turning Harry into a successor, something greater than himself? Another path to immortality, by adding the strengths and removing the weaknesses of past attempts to a clean slate? This may be a stupid theory, but it's now nagging at me.

As usual, loved the chapter. Thank you.
Wesley Mathieu chapter 20 . 12/13/2011
I like this chapter quite a bit, because its the first chapter where (I felt) Harry actually seemed human and not just a machine of raw logic that happens to reside in a 10 year old boy's body. Not only do we get a peek into his motivations, but he finally shows that he is sensitive to the emotions and desires of others. For once, he's not seeking merely to gain something, he actually has to let down his defenses. Its probably the best development of Harry's character thus far.

And now the story takes on a much, much larger scope, too. At least that's how it feels. Its no longer just about Harry, or Hogwarts, or the Dark Lord, its the future of earth and humanity. Whether that actually plays out remains to be seen, but anyone that has read this far ought to be fully engrossed in the story and after THAT chapter there's no way they'd stop reading now.

Quirrel is simultaneously mysterious and affable, which is good for teasing the reader, but he's also quite impressive skillwise. In colloquial terms, a Badass. So I really like him thus far, but the aforementioned mysteriousness keeps me from fully accepting his character at face value.

As long as the consistency of the characters maintains throughout the rest of the chapters and I'm not left hanging on those 'awesome' things that Quirrel claims he has done, I see no reason that I won't enjoy the the rest of the story immensely.
Ducks-Go-Aflack chapter 20 . 11/9/2011
Well, (insert swear word here). It's 3.41am ... I'm still awake ... and it's all your fault.

Oh! In case you were wondering- that's a good thing.

Ignoring your pros and mechanics, which are great, I am astounded by the ideas in your story. The thought and intelligence placed into this story is several standard deviations about what passes for average fanfiction plot.

But, also, I am torn. While I am glad many higher-level ideas are discussed and referenced by Harry and others... sometimes, this story seems more like a shopping list of theories and call-outs. Like quoting, sometime only referencing, a 'well-know' theory of philosophy, physiology, or (especially) epistemology. When you have Harry soliloquies for paragraphs, explaining some theory or another, this is fine. I see the explanation and can follow along. But when the theory is referenced, or becomes the topic of debate, without being explained, directly or by inference; this is less preferable.

Finally, just to make myself a hypocrite; I thoroughly enjoy the many LOTR references. Not so much the Tolkien references... those just seem a bit too meta... if such a thing could be said.
Kali Rose chapter 20 . 10/15/2011
I have to admit, the second Harry said he likes the space program, my thoughts went to Draco Malfoy in A Very Potter Musical:

"I can't go to Pigfarts. It's on Mars. You need a rocket ship. Do you have a rocket ship, Potter? I bet you do. You know, not all of us inherited enough money to buy out NASA when our parents died. Look at this! Look at this! It's Rocketship Potter! Starkid Potter! Moonshoes Potter! Traversing the galaxy for intergalactic travels to Pigfarts!"
Where the gras is greener chapter 20 . 10/1/2011
I can't help but wonder if the image of space Professor Quirrel ... conjured (seems to be the wrong word, but it fits somewhat) ... is the vantage point from the Pioneer probe.

And if this is the case, I suspect there would be quite a few star formations Harry would recognize. Hence my doubt the image is from the probe. It would also violate the speed of light as the maximum velocity for information transfer but, well, magic violates laws of physics pretty thoroughly. Could you either deny or confirm the vantage point?
AR chapter 20 . 9/21/2011
Every time I read a reference to some literature I fall in love with this story more. You've read Rand! And quite rightly, his character would not be swayed by her philosophy.

Although I am concerned about his attachment to Quirrell. Probably because I am not sure if you plan on staying with canon as far as his story is concerned. Interesting..

But at the same time it is also curious whether this attachment is not a little premature. Hero worship just leaves you a step away from being manipulated does it not? Where in the books that role was played by Dumbledore (albeit his intentions were good) here I see Quirrell in a place where who could take undue advantage of his relationship with Harry.

But I am glad he has found a fellow conversationalist. It would have been a shame if he were to be left isolated even at Hogwarts..

Great writing...hope it gets better. I have yet to be disappointed
Lydia M Argent chapter 20 . 9/11/2011
Wait, so he did tie someone's ghost to it or did he not?
mals chapter 20 . 9/2/2011
this chapter felt over-written, pretentious and unrealistic.
Izzyaro chapter 20 . 8/31/2011
Absolutely mind-blowing in so many ways. I can see why it's got so many reviews.
Parvulus of Ink chapter 20 . 8/25/2011
This is amazing!
Krylenta chapter 20 . 8/25/2011
This is the first story thative read where quirll is compatant. Hopefully he's not evil, but ill discover that later as I read.
theInsaneArtist chapter 20 . 8/4/2011
... What would happpen if you put a werewolf on the moon?
misundersnape chapter 20 . 7/31/2011
Your version of Harry seems like a toddler playing in a sandpit 'beside' other children, and never really engaging with 'people'. Almost like he suffers from Asperges. The world, from his viewpoint, is a hostile game to be played, with such subtle yet vital rules, which as an eleven year old he hasn't quite worked out yet, even though he commands such unbelievable knowledge. Most of it goes over my head, I will admit, but even just lowly, ole, mummy Me can work out this boy is a bit weird and to be honest rather unrealistic as a character.

I am happy to see that your Harry doesn't necessarily have it over all the adults, Severus in particular as he's supposed to be intelligent too, but your Harry feels at times at least equal in wit and knowledge... and unfortunately this does not ring true to me.

I attribute your great review count to largely bemusement on your readers parts, but heh, maybe I'm just too low-brow to 'get' it.

I might continue to skim, I've enjoyed the Harry/Severus parts despite my gripes, and I will admit to this fic being very unique, I may stumble on more entertaining portions.

misundersnape...
Incog chapter 20 . 7/25/2011
"Anti-Dark-Lord-Harry program, 1 point didn't begin to cover it. Harry wondered what the Sorting Hat would say now, if he could put it on his head"

Oh wow, the burning irony of this line, it burns.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 20 . 7/11/2011
Ah this chapter kind of makes me greatly dislike Harry, not exactly sure why (perhaps because he treats people badly in general I think, unlike his canon self which seems so good hearted deep down). The space obsession also seems a bit weird for Quirrel, but he is basically an entirely new character. I'm starting to wonder if it's really him (or what's going on exactly). I feel like Harry is treating Dumbledore similar to Snape, so sad.
irfane chapter 20 . 7/3/2011
Read this a few times... and I only just thought to wonder... is the true image Quirrel shows Harry (in ch 20), the point of view from, say a horcruxed plaque? It does rather resolve the issue with finding it, so would be natural to develop beforehand.

Reeeeally interesting... :)
Golgar chapter 20 . 7/3/2011
Voldemort really should have sent a horcrux into space...

Great story so far, one of the best I've encountered yet.

Now you forced me into excessive reading, what have you done...
Fohtia chapter 20 . 6/9/2011
Is it bad that I ship Harry and Quirrelmort?
Mezzavia chapter 20 . 6/8/2011
It kind of feel like Quirrel's manipulated Harry into telling him about the Sorting Hat. But I'm probably prejudiced, seeing how the Quirrel in JK Rowling's story turned out. Still, this insistence about becoming a Dark Lord.. his character is really baffling. He can be VERY fascinating.. but didn't they say Tom Riddle was? *argh* He seems to be so tired everytime, after he's held some kind of speech. Is that Tom Riddle talking? I have no idea. You're good x).

I do partly agree on what Quirrel said about nuclear bombs, but I think it's way more complicated than that. Since several states own nuclear bombs, there's formed a delicate balance. People do not use their weapons, for fear another would retaliate. And I'm sure there's a ton of other things I'm not taking into consideration - nor I have the necessary knowledge to understand.

This story is soo interesting 83. Possibly, one of the best I've ever read. It contains a bit of everything.
Clownwithachainsaw chapter 20 . 6/6/2011
Well done! I like how you managed to lift Harry out of the mire of unintelligence you last left him in. And this new Quirrell (who is most obviously Voldemort in full control of Quirrell) seems to be more than an intellectual match for Harry.
Amy villarreal chapter 20 . 5/28/2011
You have absolutely captivated me with the story and drawn me in to the "what would happen if Harry Potter were an evil autistic scientist" (formerly known as mad scientist now known as Dark Lord) proposition. In short, what fun! Amazing mind you have there. I don't see any need for improvement.
sarj2490 chapter 20 . 5/17/2011
Just so ya' know my internet has been completely down for the past 24 hours so I went to a wifi hot spot and loaded a tab for each chapter from my last review to this one just so I could continue reading this uninterrupted. Sorry I can't have a more chapter specific review. I thought about compiling my thoughts at the end of every chapter in a word doc, but honestly I'm just enjoying it too much to make it work. And it seems you have more reviews than you may ever need. But yeah, just loaded chapters 21-30 and headed back home. Thanks again!
iphis17 chapter 20 . 5/2/2011
"I subscribe to a Muggle bulletin which keeps me informed of progress on space travel. I didn't hear about Pioneer 10 until they reported its launch. But when I discovered that Pioneer 11 would also be leaving the Solar System forever," Professor Quirrell said, his grin the widest that Harry had yet seen from him, "I snuck into NASA, I did, and I cast a lovely little spell on that lovely golden plaque which will make it last a lot longer than it otherwise would."

I don't cry easily. I really don't cry easily.

In fact, I cry even less than I laugh. Which is precious little.

Which makes the fact that that little revelation there made me laugh to the point of tears somewhat peculiar.

~Mademise Morte
Rememberall chapter 20 . 4/26/2011
I know I probably should wait until I've read the whole story until I do my review, but since I do not intend to continue reading this story, I might as well tell you what I thought.

I don't particulary like this Verres fellow, and neither do I appreciate Petunia's personality which is SO uncannon and lovey-dovey I want to puke, nor Harry's regardment of them as his 'parents'. It's a disgrace to the memory of Lily and James.

Nonetheless, I have thouroughly enjoyed the story's humor and your spelling as well as your grammar is relly good.

I do, however, NOT like this new Quirell or the way he seems to be trying to turn Harry against Dumbledore. And seriously, Harry not liking QUIDDITCH or not being a GRYFFINDOR or even being friends with RON. The fic seems to be mainly about Harry trying to solve his own problems while everyone else is saints or something.

It certainly seems like you do not like Dumbledore.

You've done loads of admirable explanations as the ones about the Sorting Hat and Transfiguration, although it sometimes is hard to follow your (or should I say HJPEV's) reasoning.

Now, don't think that I'm flaming your story, it's great, it just wasn't made for the likes of me.
Kuro-Ookami4 chapter 20 . 4/6/2011
I don't think there is anything I can say that would do fully emphasize how good this chapter was.
Dalxein chapter 20 . 4/2/2011
Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres' six-step process to becoming a Light Lord:

Step 1: Utilize the (true) Scientific Method to gain an innate understanding of the universe which includes all of these wizarding shenanigans.

Step 2: Ensure Step 1 was done correctly.

Step 3: Double-check step 2.

Step 4: Utilize this knowledge for the betterment of mankind.

Step 5: Rule over them all benevolently.

Step 6: ...Profit!

Also- You Win.
ev chapter 20 . 3/10/2011
"You could be the best of all my students! The greatest fighting wizard to come out of Hogwarts in five decades! I cannot picture you wasting your days in a white lab coat doing pointless things to rats!"

I'm rereading the story and finding all the places Voldemort is referred to. While waiting for new episodes, might as well gather all the hints!
Av chapter 20 . 3/6/2011
Love it! I wish you could publish it - you deserve as many millions as JK! This is proper awsomecool!
ARMH chapter 20 . 2/20/2011
Dumbledore really isn't a friend in this fic.
Ngandu the Croc chapter 20 . 1/21/2011
I find this story to be great overall, and will most likely enjoy the rest of your chapters.

The only little thing that seems to bug me is my inability to completely grasp what the heck has caused some of the changes that have taken place in the story which reach beyond Harry's own upbringing, because I know that will explain how in the heck Quirrel(mort?) is acting the way he is, among other things.

But any time I've had such a feeling with other elements of your story, you've gone and made them clearer later. Looking forward to that.

Also love the fact that, for all of Harry's intelligence, he is still a psychopathic, broken little boy who needs to grow up. You don't always achieve a perfect balance, but I can see the monumental effort put into trying, and I'd say you succeed more often than not.

Although I will admit I miss the more outrageous reactions Harry's had in the past in regards to magic. The drama's nice, and the humor is still there to be found, but I miss the gut busting hilarity of previous chapters.

Besides that, awesome story. Looking forward to reading more.
someone chapter 20 . 1/21/2011
Quirrell likes the space program? Voldemort tried to learn from Muggles?

that makes no sense
Tangshou chapter 20 . 1/4/2011
This is at least the 3rd or 4th time reading this chapter. A lot of content here. From reading your story I am re-realizing that a story's interestingness is highly correlated with the narration and dialog, which in turn is highly correlated with the number of great quotable lines. Fight Club is another example of this that comes to mind.

Here is one line I love, but I'm not sure if it's intentional:

You will find nothing in the newspapers about QUIRINUS QUIRRELL until I decided it was time for ME to teach Defense at Hogwarts."

There's nothing unusual about this sentence to draw attention, but it could mean: "Quirinus Quirrell did nothing newsworthy until I, Voldemort, decided it was time for me to teach at Hogwarts."

Did Quirrellmort intentionally cast the space spell knowing that Dumbledore would interrupt? If teaching Harry is Quirrell's #1 goal, his #2 goal seems to be turning Harry against Dumbledore.
Guest chapter 20 . 1/2/2011
I really love this fanfic and its playful tone.
A Midsummer Night's Dreams chapter 20 . 12/31/2010
Have to postpone this since both of my parents have now ordered me to turn this off and sleep.

Really wondered how the hell things snow balled from there, yet, still make people feel the need for .One minute, it was headache inducing and informative humor(HJPEV sure spurts out interesting things) then it slightly darkens as drama unfolds and then it high sky rocketed-really hardcore- then and there and so it's now an avalanche.

And Quirell...*facepalm*maybe a head bang would have also sufficed.

Well, Less Wrong, you seem to have a talent of making it interesting but headache , let's also add addiction to , we're all on drugs!
w chapter 20 . 12/17/2010
Good stuff.

He's getting stuff from Q and not thinking about reciprocation? If you do all this on purpose, respect.

Perfect Dark Lord discussion with Q, including public service.

"That's only if you use your power for evil," explained Harry. "If you use the power for good, you're a Light Lord.", yes, his naivety is so nice.

"They will end it" - according to Snape in 6x, Atlantis was as bad, so why the reaction?

Why is Q showing off his intellect to D that much.
Gelacacine chapter 20 . 12/13/2010
Um, tautology anyone?:

"The confusion lasted just exactly as long as it took Harry to understand what had just happened."

Other than that, i'm impressed
Paraprosdokian chapter 20 . 12/3/2010
Less Wrong,

I am about to do something which I have never done, which is to give a completely, unabashedly fanboy review of this work. The sparking originality of this storyline is just sheer brilliance, whether I regard it as a stand-alone story or (even more impressively) regarding it as a derivative story in which you are constrained by the rules of another story (ie a fanfiction). As a work of satire, I think I am justified in saying that this is an equal to the work of Douglas Adams (he of the Hitchhiker's Guide) or early Terry Pratchett novels. And it was Terry Pratchett who turned me to the dark path of atheism. As a work of fiction, your skillful navigation of the twists and turns of this plotline is simply masterful. To draw another comparison, such deviousness is matched only by the work of Stephen Moffat (a writer for the new Doctor Who series). What impresses me also is the sheer intelligence which evinces itself from every word you write. It reminds me very much of my favourite book, a Secret History by Donna Tartt.

I say all this, because each of these works I have chosen are my favourite works for those reasons I have cited. So to say that you have matched them is a resounding achievement. Congratulations - or, more to the point, thank you for crafting such a wonderful addition not just to the world of fanfiction, but to the world of fanfiction. As an finance/economics student, I must say that I was particularly fond of chapter 4 on the Efficient Market Hypothesis.

And let me say also, as the founding president of a secular humanist society at university, that you have created a powerfully didactic work that shows the piercing power of rational thought. Thank you again. It makes a mockery of my own attempts to do the same through my blog ( .com)

I think the greatest tribute I can give to you is to offer a critique of your work, but sadly, I am unable to find many flaws.

Firstly, your explanation for the Sorting Hat is flawed (though brilliant) - assuming the Hat was not itself lieing. If the Sorting Hat only has consciousness when placed upon the head of a freshman student, then it cannot possibly have sufficient information to make the statements it makes. Yes, it knows from the minds of later wizard-born students that there was a Lord Voldemort and it knows that it must have once sat upon the head of Lord Voldemort. But, if it does not have the specific memory of sitting upon the head of Lord Voldemort, how can it (to use the language of the scientific method) link the experiment to the result? Therefore, I must conclude that the Sorting Hat must have some way of foreseeing the future path of a student (or of remembering that students' future). Perhaps a psychic link to each student?

Secondly, some characters seem a little off-base in terms of their canon personalities. For example, Dumbledore's reaction to Quirrell's unorthodox methods in this chapter doesn't quite match the restrained face that canon Dumbledore puts to the world. But, I am not a huge HP fan, so perhaps I am wrong on this point.

More usefully, though, for you as a writer. I think what you can take out of this review is the strengths I have highlighted. Obviously, you are fantastic at setting the right atmosphere for your fiction (something I myself am incapable of doing) but those are the things that make your fiction truly stand out.

And that is as far as I get in terms of criticism. Alas, your writing is too brilliant for me to show a more sustained and withering critique as I often do with other works of fiction.
Scott chapter 20 . 12/1/2010
Sir, your writing has fulfilled my hopes and dreams. Not only does Rational Harry do everything I wished Canon Harry would have done, your story helps me cope with the gradual erosion of my "fantasy of greatness" as I ponder the meaning of failure while my procrastination leads me to disappoint my PhD advisor. I was once a child prodigy, and meeting Rational Harry helps me understand my past. Thank you, and please continue the good work!
C.K chapter 20 . 11/21/2010
This story is amazing - incredibley well-written, dynamic characters, and extremely well thought-out. I think you should seriously consider taking these characters and writing an original novel. They're different enough then the original HP characters. That would definitley be a book I would read.

"Sometimes," Professor Quirrell said in a voice so quiet it almost wasn't there, "when this flawed world seems unusually hateful, I wonder whether there might be some other place, far away, where I should have been."

-and that really got me. :)
Aspiring Author chapter 20 . 11/21/2010
Mornelithe Falconsbane! Mercedes Lackey! Valdemar! My favorite series EVER! Hurrah for Valdemar!

And the rest of this story is brilliant so far as well. And if I tell my friends and direct them to a particular line on your bio... Does that still count for the challenge?

Yours,

WIN.

WIN SO MUCH.

YOU WIN.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 20 . 11/3/2010
I find myself wondering if Quirill is entirely himnself of if he is possessed by Voldemort, who has become a lot wiser than he used to be.
kalei chapter 20 . 10/30/2010
this chapter reminds me of death note and light's neverending quest to convince L he was a nice person without actually being a nice person. lol anyway, well done! 3
nightDREAMERms chapter 20 . 10/25/2010
I'd just like to admit this.

After reading Quirrell's critique of Nuclear Weapons, I've re-evaluated my perspective on information secrecy...

I generally believe, honestly and completely, that most information that seems in any way vital to a country should be released. I.e. When things like military matters in foreign countries were leaked by unidentified sources, I am always on the "The Public Should Know!" side. As, to me, it seems ridiculous for the public NOT to know what it's tax money and votes are actually going to. (In fact, I'd rather such things not be under secrecy at all, so a better more accurate of what the heck's really happening can be displayed. Unlike the random leaks that usually present a biased image.)

But that kind of information, I'd never really thought about it; This information- Dangerous to the point that the word Lethal barely covers it- I'd agree that the rest of the world shouldn't know.

And I say this as one of whom would likely be the part of the "rest" of the world. I don't know how I'd handle such information if I DID have it but I'd much MUCH rather I and everyone else "dumber/more foolish" than me not know at all.

Limit that knowledge to the proffesionals, the studied, those who can understand all implications of the information and keep it under wraps. Things like that should be considered well-guarded taboos by those who uncovered it's potential... not regular public/political knowledge.

Too bad, logically, the world doesn't work like that. :P
Sheaman chapter 20 . 10/21/2010
I'm sorry if I am missing the point, but this is my first time reading through this truly amazing story.

At the beginning, Harry believes that a huge victory has been won in his fight to become a Light Lord.

Before the end, he refers to the experience that made such a victory possible as "unimportant."

...

Please excuse me as I shudder in the corner from dread.

Truly, this is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it with us, and please continue.

In light of giving you something constructive...you might be overplaying Harry's manipulative skills. He seems to be getting what he wants rather more frequently than he should, even considering how often he -doesn't-. If I can pull myself far enough out of the story to notice something more, I will do my best to remember to write a review about it, so that you can continue to improve your writing abilities, as I assume is a goal of yours.
Indigo Ziona chapter 20 . 10/17/2010
Harry was feeling a bit lost here. "What are we talking about here, nuclear weapons?"

"Yes, nuclear weapons!" Professor Quirrell was almost shouting now. "Even He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named never used those, perhaps because he didn't want to rule over a heap of ash!"

It's jsut occurred to me that in Order of the Phoenix, all that ridiculous business, which was never followed up, where Harry considers the possibility that Voldemort has a weapon that could kill lots of people at once, might've been a reference to this. I remember thinking that, as nasty as such a weapon would be, it was a bit of a boring solution. And now I realise why... because lots of Muggles have already used such things. They're scary in their way, but not exactly the epitome of cunning.

The scary thing is, you make me wonder if we'd be better with Voldemort ruling the world than, say, George Bush...

Hmmm...

"So that's how it is to be..." the old wizard said slowly. Something strange passed across his face. "Harry... you must realize that if you choose this man as your teacher and your friend, your first mentor, then one way or another you will lose him, and the manner in which you lose him may or may not allow you to ever get him back."

This is a standard rule of fantasy, of course. I was a bit disappointed that Dumbledore died in Half Blood Prince because it was so bloomin' obvious. Though admittedly I really never expected Snape to be the one to do it :)

(I've finally started just pasting all my favourite or most interesting quotations into word to copy them out again :) )
Karsus chapter 20 . 10/7/2010
Oh come on... you would really stop scientific growth out of fear?

Nuclear technology is not without value and in some ways the cold war did the world some good.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tech for serious space travel also contained a high risk of causing mass destruction.

Your real objection should be at the lack of maturity of the schooling system and the limited learning that normal people have on the path to becoming adults. As long as power is properly managed, the existence of nukes will never be a problem. It kinda isn't even now.
LunaSlashSea chapter 20 . 10/7/2010
Excellent chapter. The idea that some knowledge shouldn't be shared made me think. I really, really wish there was a way of seeing space like they did.
Nakedkali chapter 20 . 10/5/2010
People who deliberately go through their life without attracting notice attract the attention of certain slytherins. Who really knows about QWuirrel besides Dumbledore nd McGonagall?
Rebel Goddess chapter 20 . 9/21/2010
I think this is the most intriguing version of Quirrell I've ever read. Loved their obsession with space travel and Albus's interruption. Superb chapter.
ladyowl chapter 20 . 9/8/2010
I should preface by saying that this is my favorite story; that I love the fact that Harry (and the other characters to a certain extent) are acting and thinking logically/conceivably/"rationally;" that I find your story witty beyond measure; and that I appreciate your directing me to , as I hope that it's made me a better rationalist (even if I am just beginning on the way).

And yet: once in a while I find myself wondering why the things that happen in this story do happen. Granted, I understand that the story must be set over Rowling's illogical framework, and that you are not free to change certain key aspects of that canon universe.

But:

1) Why did the sorting hat (for the first time as far as anyone seems to know) cry a "just kidding!" during the sorting? Is this because the hat is suddenly self-aware and has a sense of humor? Is it because Dumbledore does correct the hat, as Quirrell suggest? Is it a plot device that allows Harry to earn his first 1 Anti-Dark Lord point? Is it because the author thinks its funny? Etc?

2) If we are to assume that Quirrell is still Voldemort in this story (as is implied by the impending doom that Harry feels when he plans to wake the Professor after class, and the fact that Quirrell suggests he has done many things that he would not get credit for with the name "Quirrell"), why is Quirrell teaching his students effectively? Admittedly, the canon Quirrell is useless, and I would hope that Voldemort has more pride in his own ability than to run a completely useless class. But, it is not in Voldemort's best interest to teach the students to function in "war conditions" or to deal with dementors. And if Voldemort is as intelligent as he is represented, he would surely recognize this.

2a) Why is Quirrell a competent teacher? So that Harry is distanced from MacGonnagall? So that there is an excuse for the anti-death revelation of the Patronus 2.0 scene? So that we sympathize with Voldemort, and wonder whether his suggested dictatorship wasn't intended for the good of the country (strong institutions allowing strong rule-of-law, etc)? Clearly, Quirrells actions are not because he feels the children are too young to be hurt.

2b) Why is Quirrell taking care of Harry? Having discovered that death by Abracadabra will not work on the baby Harry, I can understand that Quirrell may be considering subtler methods of killing/incapacitating him. But, where are these subtler methods? In fact, Quirrell seems more often to save Harry (from the fall, at least). Although Quirrell does sometimes seem to steer Harry (and the other children) towards darker actions - advocating the killing curse, etc - this seems entirely too subtle of a path for the homocidal/psychopathic terrorist/despot that Voldemort's past suggests. Does he truly possess the "intent-to-kill" that he claims he does? If he happily resorts to manipulation, why did he target the baby Harry for death in the first place?

3) I am not sure what to make of Dumbledore's character. Either, intelligence/sanity has no correlation to being "a great wizard," Dumbledore is insane and thus not a great wizard, or he is merely pretending to be insane, so that he can conduct his plots with the minimum of interference. Dumbledore's "are you pretending to be wise" after Harry's refusal to share the secret behind his patronus suggests it is the last option. But, then: why does he give out rocks? And, why does he admit to having spied on teenage girls? These two behaviors are only rational if Harry/the reader assumes that Dumbledore is either insane or has a deeper reason to do so. Did Dumbledore lie when he said that the rock was not special in any way? Was he attempting to gain the trust of the strange child who - Dumbledore is presumably gambling - will only see the admission of the second and not the sketchyness of both "gifts?"

4) Why on earth would Prof. Sprout agree to go along with Harry's "prank?" I cannot remember a time when one of my teachers ever went along with a student's vigilante efforts. Is she hoping that Harry will form a fast friendship with the Huffelpuffs he's rescuing? Is she a necessary plot-device to ensure that Harry stays safe after he has put himself into an unsafe situation?

4a) Why is Harry capable of getting two pies, but not capable of carrying some distraction that will allow his previous self to diffuse the tension? Is this to cover the absence of the rest of the teaching staff in Harry's adventures? For someone who claims not to like getting into dangerous situations, Harry does not do very well at keeping himself out of them...

5/6) Though they have already been pointed out by previous reviews, I will also mention the "do not experiment with time" result, and the endless (and useless, besides the hilarious references) war scenes.

My comments are not intended to suggest that your story is not brilliant. Merely that I find myself confused at points. However, as I'm sure you agree: confusion is a sign that our understanding of events must still be refined. So, I'll hope for a response, or for future chapters to clarify.

All the best,

ladyowl
Just a guy chapter 20 . 9/5/2010
first story I ever read with quirrel of all people being the coolest character around!
MisterScarlet chapter 20 . 7/30/2010
For some odd reason I get the feeling that Quirrell is being possessed by voldemort during his classes but the possession is timed, so thats why he needed to put all his classes together.

OR...

Quirrell for some odd reason is a follower of the light and is using voldemorts memories or something to help harry learn and become stronger before voldemort finally takes over his body for good.

Is the golden plaque on Pioneer 11 a Horcrux...?

Dont answer, it just makes me feel better to write down my predictions. And I do realize that there are 10 more chapters already up.
cattaur chapter 20 . 7/17/2010
Wow.

That is all I can think of right now, after your description of Prof. Quirrell's 'illusion' spell. I hope Harry eventually gets to learn it!

Did Quirrell tag the plaque, so that the spell shows him what Pioneer 11 would be seeing? It would be far enough from Sol that Harry probably wouldn't have noticed it as being all that different from the background stars...
Coriandergirl chapter 20 . 7/12/2010
Hmmm, I gotta side with Harry on this one. Quirinus Quirrel is now officially one of my most favorite people ever. (But only in this fic. And only as long as he still is a good-guy, and not just an incredibly sneaky Voldemort or something)

This fic still rocks and, as you can see, I am still using up that silly time when I could (and probably should) be sleeping to read it. I wish I could Super-Fave it... sigh. Its just SO GOOD!
Final-Fan chapter 20 . 7/7/2010
I have had a hypothesis for some time now (Great Hall intro) that Quirrel is a pathetic zombie most of the time because he has somehow arranged to concentrate all his awesomeness into a small part of his day. I am not sure whether this is connected to a plot to increase his survivability as DADA teacher.
R-dude chapter 20 . 6/29/2010
Awesome chapter and story. But I have to stress that the time frames are a bit confusing.

Also, check this out if you haven't already.

Delrusant chapter 20 . 6/25/2010
mind bogglign story, upsetting yet ringing true, the difficulties of the prodigies ( i have known one, he burned badly in his teenage years) that are not perceiving the world outside their domain as also valuable and so cannot learn not to be the best. A problem that could also apply to some genius but the influences in our world are so diverse that only a secluded one or a prejudiced one could not see that you cannot be the best everywhere. Just looking at the work of master craftsman, the talent of some sportsman, the ingenuity of nature, the speech skills of some hypocrits politics or simply the laugh generated by some humorist.

Any field can produce greatness even if some are not perceived as such by most people, but often lies forgotten the people who have help on the way to greatness because neither prodigies nor geniuses (?) can reach their peak without tutors, supporters, helpers, friends.

The most blatant current world example where acceptance to loose was absent was in most japanese people way to learn languages where they refuses to be unperfect and as such refuse to make all the mistakes that enables someone to toward comprehension of other language because another flawed logic is needed (no language has been created to be logic, even if simplification and generalisation have helped a lot).

Logics are just things that need some work to get, can always be better understood by teaching them and always expand and modify the way our brain works.

Thanks for the story where AU really means AU.
James Birdsong chapter 20 . 6/24/2010
Oh quite great.
trevalyan chapter 20 . 6/15/2010
This is a really outstanding bit of work. It takes Harry Potter in directions it never could have gone before, and I love three aspects in particular.

1) How science and economics add to the setting- and are hated just as passionately as the Dark Arts by some quarters. Dumbledore's prompt forgiveness of Quirrell after Harry's brief flirtation with hedge fund trading, Quirrell's own violent hatred of the supposed apex of Muggle physics are the best examples. Weapons as powerful as any magic, indeed. The author's outstanding grasp of diverse concepts and the scientific method are guaranteed to add things JK Rowling, God love her, could not focus on.

2) Ron and Hagrid aren't in this story, to any meaningful extent. Harry outright says Ron would have been an unnecessary wheel to this plot. I'm beginning to wonder exactly how necessary slow, loyal Ron was to Harry, neither of whom could hope to rival Hermione- though Tom Riddle certainly could.

At any rate, what some people could take as an offhand dismissal by the author could turn out to be a cornerstone. Will Harry -learn- the power of friendship, love, and magical creatures- or merely take the lessons to add into his potent brew of magical science.

3) I'm beginning to wonder who the Dark Lord is and who he is becoming. And how deeply Dumbledore believes the best of people. Two characters could either fall spectacularly, or have room for the most hopeful ending in any HP fanfiction.

"Because it's all right to just be Tom! It's all right to just be Harry! Otherwise we're just a Dark Lord and Chosen One staring at each other down the lengths of our wands and this will never END!"

Okay, I made a mistake, there's a fourth point that drew me here, but really isn't something about -your- writing that I love:

I) David Brin is reading your fanfic. And commenting very warmly on it. And now I can't FIND his comment review here. This is vexing indeed, because I know I saw it!
dogbertcarroll chapter 20 . 6/13/2010
And once again I am confused, but impressed by the chapter.
sastath chapter 20 . 6/7/2010
Voldie wishes he could have made it a horcrux. To bad. Still for all of Harry's smarts he is kind of dumb. Seriously a course to avoid becoming a Dark Lord? What kind of moron would follow that?

The choices we make determine the lives we live. I think that was it. Now I'm struggling to remember where I heard it.

“There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.” - Niccolo Machiavelli
Sabrinasidd chapter 20 . 5/28/2010
review of Methods of Rationality: Part ONE

I only found your fic a couple of days ago, and I finished reading it in two days flat. This was two days where I abandoned all my other fanfics, dedicating all my time to just finishing this fic… and then I read it two more times, just for the pleasure of laughing at all my favourites scenes again.

This fic actually me me giggle, snort and laugh out loud. Do you have any idea how rare and cherished an experience that is for me while reading anything? It’s wonderful! It’s so wonderful to be so thoroughly delighted and surprised by a twisted punchline in a story, that you literally cannot keep yourself form laughing out loud at what you’re reading! It’s amazing! and delightful! Thank you!

Ok… now a little more coherency… I thought your premise was brilliant. Setting Harry up as a budding *scientist* of all things was a delightful AU twist that works amazingly well, despite all expectations. I love the way that the absurdity of the Wizarding world continuously keeps offending Harry because of the myriad of ways that common sense, reason, logic and basic physics are casually disregarded on a daily basis… by children who don’t even know that they’re violating the laws of the universe no less, LOL! I say the word ‘offended’ because that seems to best capture Harry’s general attitude towards Magic, as well his attitude towards the attitude and methodology supporting the magical ways.

Of course he’s also intrigued, mesmerized, fascinated and addicted to the solving the mystery that is magic, but most of the time, he’s hilariously offended, and I love it. I love the way he continually keeps pointing out all the basic fallacies, leaps in logic and lunatic absurdities that make up this world…

But most of all, I love the way that Harry himself is the most absurd, ludicrous, insane and intriguing element in the magical realm. All the denizens of Wizarding Britian seem to find Harry even more unsettling than he finds Animagus and Time-Travel, LOL!

I know it must have been very tempting for the author to make Harry the absolute smartest person ever, because his sharp, focused intelligence IS his strongest strength in this fic. So I was extremely relieved and pleased to see that Harry is surrounded by exceptionally brilliant people who actually out-perform him in several areas.

I was delighted to see that Hermione is also exceptionally brilliant… since she far exceeds Harry’s capabilities in applied knowledge and research. She can read faster AND has stronger knowledge retention skills. In these ways, she’s actually more intelligent than Harry. And Draco has proven himself to be MUCH more skilled at reading people and manipulating them as compared to Harry’s own clumsy people-management skills. Harry’s intellectual strength lies in his deductive reasoning and his critical thinking, which makes him a great detective as well as a great scientist. Harry is the main protagonist, but he’s not shown as the best in all areas intelligence-related, and I was delighted by this.

I really liked the fact that both Harry and Hermione were put into Ravenclaw… for very plausible reasons too. I can not only see how it happened in this AU, but I can even say that it’s for the BEST that it happened. Knowledge-seekers fits those two as a description much better than wannabe heroes.

I really enjoyed seeing Hermione stretched and interpreted in interesting ways in this fic. I can, kind of, sense that she’s halfway to convincing herself that she’s developing romantic feelings for Harry. If she tells herself often enough, those romantic feelings might actually become genuine. Now that would be interesting to watch… especially when Hermione tries to reconcile herself to the fact that Harry’s ‘closest friend’ at Hogwarts seems to be friggen Draco Malfoy!

Draco deserves ten pages of feedback space on his own, but I’ll try to fit everything into a couple of paragraphs. I loved, LOVED the way that he was introduced. That scene at the clothing store was the first time that I was laughing my head off while reading. In fact, I’ve read that scene over five times already, and I STILL laugh at it, ROTFLMAO! I’m still doing it, merely recollecting the scene, LOL!

And what about the scene where the sorting hat was forced to become self-aware because of Harry’s incessant questioning? Priceless! ROTFLMAO! And I also loved that, during the hilarity, the scene also had some serious issues to cover, such as the length and breadth of Harry’s psychological profile, the dangerous tendencies and triggers that might lead him to becoming a Dark Lord, the ways by which he might be able to save himself, etc, etc. The self-awareness chapter was a GREAT way to invite the readers to a more in-depth analysis of the main protagonist… and a great way for the protagonist himself to learn a little bit about himself too.

Anyhow, back to Draco. I thought it was a brilliant move to introduce Draco first as a charming, smooth and likable person… someone that Harry wanted to be friends with pretty much straight off the bat… only to reveal that he’s got a scary, dark, sociopathic interior underneath all that charm and likability.

The casual way that he discussed raping Luna was like a shocking slap in the face. I was NOT expecting that, and I was aghast with horror at the casual way he was talking about raping sweet, innocent young Luna… and laughing, LAUGHING about how no-one was going to believe that he assaulted her if she tried to complain.

I was blown away by the brilliance of the scene where Harry started his long, arduous job into bringing Draco over to the light, but first showing him a picture of the Earth taken from the Moon. I myself cannot imagine anything more compelling and mesmerizing than THAT picture to persuade a bigoted Magical Wizard to the possible brilliance of Muggles.

I can see that the author is as much a fan of the space program as I am. There’s nothing that fills me with more pride as a human being than to know that we’re reaching out the stars, spreading messages, sending probes and sending messages. It only makes sense that THIS would be the one thing that would convince Wizarding kind that Muggles have something worth offering to the Magical World, and that Muggles are brilliant and amazing in their own right, even if they don’t have physics-defying wands.

The final chapter showed me Harry’s master-stroke to win over Draco beautifully and brilliantly. That is an amazing plan! It was a brilliant move to bring Draco in on a research project that scientifically investigates the validity of pureblood claims about how ‘purity’ of the blood strengthens the magical strength of the line. Draco will be there, every step of the way, collecting evidence objectively, comparing results OBJECTIVELY, and finding the true answer to this knotty problem of purebloods and mudbloods.

I also thing Harry knew that there is already some evidential proof that half-bloods and other such ‘cross-breeds’ might actually be stronger. A lot of research has already been done showing that inter-racial, cross-cultural offspring are most always superior stock as compared to inbred offspring, in terms of both physical hardiness as well as mental abilities. I can see that Harry is keeping his mind open, but I’m sure he know that chances are that the pureblood claims will be proven wrong, as well as counterproductive to their aims to preserve and strengthen magic in their lines.

Dumbledore is even more insane than in canon. The scene where he asked Harry to keep a rock with him at all times was just… ROTFLMAO! Oh dear me! I couldn’t help but remember the scene from the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie where Jack Sparrow was given a jar of dirt by the voodoo lady. I’m quite certain that she was just having some fun with him, to see whether he was willing to accept the jar of dirt, just because she said ‘it will help’, ROTFLMAO! He even asked, in tentative confusion, whether it was ‘magic’ dirt, and she never answered that question except to tell him it will help him, ROTFL!
Sandy Popstar Pickeltry chapter 20 . 5/26/2010
Update, and don't be late like this again! You have me filled with anticipation, loverboy! My lovely lover should not keep me a-waitin' for so god darn long again! SO update today or feel the wrath of your wife, you cissy-cishkabucha
Senevri chapter 20 . 5/24/2010
You win.
Wolfric chapter 20 . 5/22/2010
Well I am quite curious to find out what part, if any, Voldemort plays in this little drama. Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
Pietko chapter 20 . 5/22/2010
oh Quirrell... Is he possesed by voldemort? If so, it looks like one of voldemort's horcruxes travels on Pioneer probe...

Interaction between Harry and Quirrell makes me wonder, is voldemort changed man after his 'dead' by Harry? It could be interesting if he is not bad guy anymore, more like neutral, more wise...
Mr.Destructo chapter 20 . 5/21/2010
omg a review!
Bob chapter 20 . 5/19/2010
This isn't actually a review. I just wanted to say that the thing you seem to think is obvious in chapter 20 isn't in the slightest. You should probably make it more explicit when linking to the fanart that most people will not know it and presumably won't want to.
Jinx of the 2nd Law chapter 20 . 5/18/2010
Wonderful chapter! The thing Quirrell says in space... How many of us have felt that exact same way... Dreamed that same dream?

Remember, Slytherins want/have power. Not all power is dark, and not all dark power is used for "bad".

Another heavy chapter. I will definitely reread this story, it has heavy concepts that bear learning!

Thanks for writing and sharing!
Random832 chapter 20 . 5/17/2010
Oh, and... I didn't read your author's notes until after I'd reviewed, so I'm attaching this to the previous chapter.

Isn't there a bit of a confirmation bias in your acceptance of a ridiculous generalization like "readers placed in a viewpoint character's perspective will tend to instinctively suppress knowing anything the viewpoint character doesn't know"? - you can hardly expect people to write in saying they, for one, are just FINE with the ever-so-common "camera focus and ominous music sting" on the as-yet-undiscovered-by-the-heroes villain, _before_ there's any hint that you've been led to believe such a thing is wrong.
Kadorienne chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
well, up until this chapter (20), this fic was brilliant and I was really impressed, but now you're lying about Ayn Rand. Why not at least be subtle enough to tell a lie that might fool somebody? I don't believe you're actually dumb enough to believe what you said about her, which means you must have other intentions, which can't be good. I won't bother with the rest of this story.
glassfragrance chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
"You are here," Severus said in a quiet voice which the students at back strained to hear, "to learn the subtle science and exact art of potionmaking. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins," this in a rather caressing, gloating tone, "bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses," this was just getting creepier and creepier. "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death - if you aren't as great a pack of fools as I usually have to teach."

watch?vB77MxjIWixk&featurerelated

This is amazing, bytheway 3 I love this Harry! :DD
qslow chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
I've been enjoying this fic a lot, math jokes and all, but I am more a lurker than a reviewer in general, not having much to contribute that others haven't said.

I'm here to respond to your request for how to show that Quirrell is Smart!LV. Personally I found that one of the fun things about the last couple of chapters was the newfound ambiguity as to Quirrell's role and methods, and I was surprised by the author's notes indicating that this was unintended. Why you want to shut off such an amusing avenue of speculation is your affair, here are my suggestions ;)

PQ seemed more villainous in chapter 16, singling out Harry and leaving him confused. But in 19 and 20, Harry sees Quirrell as a fantastic teacher and now a mentor. If we read the author notes, we see that PQ is undermining Harry and molding him in ways intended to make him less of a threat to his own plans... but because of the subjective POV the reader is unlikely to be aware of it unless Harry is. Harry has had suspicions about PQ's motives. Those could be stronger or more frequent without changing the plot since he would discount them as being from his 'dark side': warm!Harry is mostly interested in impressing and learning from a highly intelligent and competent teacher.

Another way to bring LV to mind might be to give a bit more emphasis to descriptions, play up the physical manifestations of the 'possession'. If _this_ LV is not going to lose control of his mind, his temper, etc., weaken his control on the body. Yes, he was a drooling zombie, but that was a few chapters ago, and in 19 and 20 was only 'leaning harder on his desk'. Have Harry walk past the head table without paying attention and get a terrible pain in his scar, stereotypical HP stuff like that.
Dan Kaminsky chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
Less Wrong,

You're doing something astonishing here. You have combined fiction and nonfiction, humor and sober reflection, fun and purpose, science and art.

There is a reason that all the great lessons are taught via parable. You are using Rowlings' framework in a truly remarkable and communicative way. Put simply, your message is understandable faster, better, and deeper this way than in traditional philosophical writing.

You must continue this experiment! You are genuinely writing one of the best supportive works on rationality I have ever seen. Let everyone else preach to the choir. You have found the language for the masses.
VN chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
Coriolanus: Does this detail influence which answer is correct?
sfreear chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
One word. Four syllables. IN-CRE-DI-BLE!
Pathatlon chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
That was awesome. And Quirrel is pretty cool.
Coriolanus chapter 20 . 5/16/2010
Question 1: (70 points): Which of these characters has crossed the Moral Event Horizon?

(A) An eleven-year-old who talks about rape.

(B) An adult who tortures to death an entire martial arts monastery.

- I would like to point out that your question should be "An eleven-year-old who talks about committing rape." to be more exact.
Question chapter 20 . 5/15/2010
I'm getting a funny feeling that Quirrelmort is going to turn out to be not so bad...
CeilingFan chapter 20 . 5/15/2010
I realize I do not actually know that Quirrel IS Quirrelmort. And either way, I super duper love him. And will mourn for Harry if/when he loses him.
Raw Power chapter 20 . 5/15/2010
HOLY SHIT VOLDEMORT HAS HORCRUXED THE PIONEER PLAQUE!

Why do I feel this is both a Crowning Moment Of Awesome AND Jumping The Shark? It certainly is a Tough Act To Follow, unless this story goes Beyond The Impossible
KuroxTenshi chapter 20 . 5/15/2010
You are a genius.
The Joker chapter 20 . 5/15/2010
All these people in the story belong with me, in the Arkham Asylum.
ForgottenTales chapter 20 . 5/15/2010
Oh my.. the story just gets crazier and crazier doesn't it? i must say, when I first started reading this I hadn't expected it to turn so weird.

Everyone's so OOC. Well, except Professor McGonal. And Dumbledore;s really insane, he kinda scares me. And Quirrell! I don't know what to think about him.

I guess, it's just hard to get used to seeing the characters in a vastly different way. Especially Harry. As each chapter goes by, I get more and more worried for him.
NinjaHarryPotter4life chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
I just finished reading your story from start to this chapter and well the first two words that come to mind are HOLY SH!T.

Update as soon as you can! I really like your story.

-Ninja :)
LauraSchnak chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
Absolutely love the idea, the story, the whole thing!

I've signed up only to reply to your author's notes for CH20. I was puzzled, like many other reviewers, as to how Prof. Quirrell would mesh with the canon story. So without being explicit, I was extremely surprised by your chapter notes and almost wish I hadn't read them. Clearly you've applied the Death Star principle to this character with great subtlety. I imagine that at some point an action will make the character's identity obvious. Until then, I like the dialogue enormously and can't wait to see how you'll justify PQ's apparent coddling of HP!
XxblondehermionexX chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
Wow is this story incredibly confusing but great. I really have no idea what is going on with Dumbledore, he seems quite insane. Your Harry inspires me to be as smart as him, which reminds me I should be studying for my exams and not reading fan fiction. Ah well, no regrets.
A Bibliophile chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
Quirrel's rules of being a Dark Lord reminded me of Peter's "Evil Overlord List". Ever hear about it? It has one-hundred useful tips for Evil Overlord hopefuls like "I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.", "I will not turn into a snake. It never helps," and "If it becomes necessary to escape, I will never stop to pose dramatically and toss off a one-liner."

I really like Quirrel's character, though I can't decide whether I trust him or not. Voldie is being altogether to quiet and it's making me nervous.

Thanks for the update!
Xboxerxbox chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
Uhh...Did Tom just admit to making a horcrux out of a probe that is going out of the solar system? I'm having trouble imagining how its going to be destroyed. Somehow I don't think a simple "Accio Pioneer 11 satellite" is going to do the trick. Riveting story my good man. Hats off to you.
Loonynamelass chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
I hope you update soon. This is all most mysterious. I keep wondering if Voldemort is still on the back of Quirrel's head...
tidux chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
Did you hear that? The sound of popping, shrieking, crackling, booming fireworks like the Fourth of July in Boston? That, sir, was the sound of you BLOWING my MIND. I came in expecting Englightened Harry to kick all sorts of ass, but Badass Quirrel Who May Or May Not Have a Dark Lord In The Back of His Skull? Wow. Thinking about that, it makes me wonder whether Quirrel is playing games within games here, setting Harry up to be a pseudo-accidental Dark Lord. Hell, he convinced Harry to tell him exactly -why- he doesn't want to take that path, which leaves all sorts of potential for demonstrating how that "isn't real" or "doesn't work". On a final note, why does the Scientist Uncle have the same name and disposition as a character from El Goonish Shive?
Memories-of-the-Shadows chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
I liked this chapter better than 19, mostly because I identified with Harry when he was being taught how to lose. Also, after reading your author's notes on this chapter, that Monastery scene makes more sense, although it made sense beforehand. In a sick sort of way, I could see the reasons why Quirrellmort would tell the class that. It could have been a way of telling them that he was a man who did not let slights go even if they wouldn't understand this lesson.

As for trying to make your readers see that Quirrell is really Quirrellmort, I don't see it happening. Voldemort in the books is generally depicted as an insane monster. Quirrellmort however is charming, intelligent, and only vaguely evil-much like Tom Riddle was in the Chamber of Secrets. However, even in the Chamber of Secrets, Voldemort was not as charming and intelligent as your Quirrellmort. Most of the time, when people see Voldemort, they see a hideous monster. Your Quirrellmort is not that.
bluefynx chapter 20 . 5/14/2010
This has to be one of the most awesome Harry Potter stories I have read. I love it!
Nielso chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
This story is...fucking awesome!

I have never in all my years ever encountered such an inticrate story and I dont even care if I make spellings errors for once in my review.

The sheer awesomeness seems to be increasing every chapter as well!

My god man where in the world did you ever get all these ideas?
Brian chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
Really loving the story, it's always a good read and, frankly, you've written a darklord-possessed Quirrell a heck of a lot better than Rowling did.

And the pioneer plaque? I honestly can't think of a better horcrux. It's totally out of the reach of anyone who would want to destroy it, but it's still something people can form/have an emotional attachment to for the purposes of possessing them. Brilliant!

My only gripe is that I want MORE :-) So, more? Pretty please?
faneka chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
I love this story. It's had me laughing and crying, sometimes in the same chapter. Even worse (better?), sometimes in the same paragraph. I like this Quirrell, I do hope he survives after the year ends. I can't wait for the next update!
Ichai chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
This is quite probably my favorite version of Professor Quirrell.

I'm greatly enjoying your writing. Thank you for this.
Lydia chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
This is a very good story, but also has, in my opinion, a couple of very important defects. Let us start with the good stuff.

1) First off, I disliked it when reviewers mentioned things like Hermione's intellect being too high whilst Dumbledore was acting like an absolute moron. What they are not noticing is that in this fic you have pushed up -everyone's- intellect. McGonagall is smarter and more subtle than her original counterpart, Hermione is a genuinely inteligent girl, not just a geek, Harry is, well, your Harry, Draco has quite a few grey cells that were completely absent in the original series. As for Dumbledore... The man is pure genius. By acting insane at all times, people gradually accept him as a powerful but mad wizard, no longer questioning his behaviour and quirks. Therefore when he gives Harry the Philosopher's stone making up some batshit crazy story about his dad's rock, not even Harry, the great rationalist, bothers with analyzing the motives behind this behaviour. 1 point for Dumbles!

2)Your Quirrellmort is quite excellent. He is not a super!Voldemort, just a sensible, experienced, charismatic Dark Lord. That is, the way he should have been in the first place. He is leaving all the doors open: conversion, destruction, domination. He is getting his claws into Harry's psyche quite effectively, and I am glad he does, for without a -real- challenge, such a gifted Harry would make for a very boring plot. As for the Pioneer plaque Horcruxing... I saw it coming before reading the A/N. In fact, when reading that chapter my thoughts were "I see what you did there... Naughtie naughtie...". But that's maybe because I am reading NatSci in Cambridge, and when I had first read book 6 of the original series I had started wondering about the mechanism of Horcruxing, and how to best take advantage of the possibilities. Although I did think about outer space back then, my conclusion was different. Seeing as in the book we get no clue about the size of an object affecting its soul-storing capacity (the ring is not said to contain less soul that, for example, the diary), I started considering the Horcruxing of sub-atomic particles. There is no evidence at all that it would not be possible, and no evidence that distance had anything to do with it either. Although I might pulling it a bit, it might not even be impossible to Horcrux a -massless- particle, seeing as a soul fragment has no spacial dimensions or mass and therefore should not require another mass or a volume to be stored. So imagine cruxing a passing neutrino. The pros as opposed to the plaque are immense. It is undetectable, cannot be Accio-ed, you cannot apparate near it for you have no idea where it is, and you cannot really stab it with Basilisk venom, either. For greater poetic justice, have Voldie Horcrux a Higgs boson. I mean, -I- will giggle. Whole 'god particle' business and all. But, as said above, that would probably spark outrage amongst your readers, because it would pulling it. A lot.

3)I liked the Snape-bashing. As woman, I do find Snape being the only Rowling character I feel any attraction towards, but the way he is being turned into a sensitive, tortured martyr that oh-so-unfortunately is forced to act nasty by the swooning fandom really annoys me.

Now lets talk about what I didn't like.

1)Your arrogance. You turn your Harry into a Gary Stue at times, having him display knowledge that -you- want to display, although it serves no purpose whatsoever as far as the plot is concerned. It is as if you sometimes possess your character in order to stick your tongue at the readers and sing "Nya nya nya I know shitloads of stuff... Are you impressed yet?". You are writing fanfic here, and your audience is mostly made up of teenagers. Of course you know more than they do. No triumph in constantly proving it. Use intelligence as a plot device, not just as a means of self-promotion by occasionally self-inserting into your Harry.

2)The fact you give things away in your A/N. Just let your readers find things out it their own time, instead of spoon-feading the ones that hadn't yet realised a few things and making them feel like idiots.

3)I am half-Greek, so one thing that annoys me to great extents is the use of Greek words as a proof of intellect. Having a character say "epithet", "halcyon", "hybris/hubris" or "logos" does not make them sound better. It just makes them sound conceited. Quit the Masters-level philosophy-related pseudo-Greek and latin vocab. Your audience is teenagers. And your presumable trying to communicate with them, not assert your superiority by using my language at random places, like most people in 'Less Wrong' do. Simple phrasing is not for the simple minds. It is for those who are not trying to prove something. And you should not be.
Jimbocous chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
Somewhere around the beginning of this tale, I laughed so hard I think you broke me. Bad author, Baad author!

Interesting latest chapter, especially as I tried to relate it back to canon. Of course I guess it all depends on whether your Quirrel has a Voldie under his hat ...
StefanInVienna chapter 20 . 5/13/2010
good story so far, thank you
LoireLoa chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Ummm... So the last two chapters have thrown me for a loop. Harry learned to lose - and I can completely see why that was necessary - but I don't get the part in this chapter about Dumbledore. He had no objection to Harry or anyone else being abuse by Snape, but he has a problem if Quirrel does it in a classroom setting? WTF? (And let's not even get into Dumbledore's abuse of Harry's mental security, which he clearly had no remorse for.) And Dumbledore telling Harry that Quirrel would die from associating with Harry was uncalled for. After all, Dumbledore himself has been a part of Harry's life far longer than Quirrel has, but he's still alive and kicking.
Phygmalion chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Wow. That was a fantastic chapter. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, but you are making me wish I would, if only to see how your interpretation is different from Rowling's version. Great job!
ultra dragon chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Wow, talk about using your mind... so i guess Voldemort used that spell of purpose just before Dumbledore came...very smart... man i have no idea where your story is heading to...although it's kinda cool, i just wonder why shouldn't Dumbledore tell Harry that Quirrell is possessed...after all he knew that already*it's canon).

And making Harry learn how to lose isn't like a double edge sword for Voldemort? on the one hand he has some control over Harry,as seen in this chapter, but if Harry learns how to fake it, like Voldemort himself has done, wouldn't that make Harry a truly terrifying human being? isn't it a huge risk?

oh and how the hell can someone destroy a horcruxe in space? you just made the guy an immortal, like the real deal. (oh and you know, i think it's the first story that i read Voldemort actually knowing muggle stuff? which is a very interesting thing to read)

well you do and amazing job on this story (hopefully you will put a bit more of Hermione in the next chapter) it's areal pleasure to read this!
Ezvir chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Luigar: you could donate to the Singularity Institute for Artificial Initelligence /donate/

Working on friendly AI there is his day job, and also the cause he believes in.
Luingar chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
*zombie drool*

moooorrree... MOOOOOOREE!

ps: where do i throw money if i want it to get it to you?
Kitsune chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Love this storey. Still get thew giggles over "The Headmaster set fire to a chicken!"
Greytune chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
I still quite don't trust Quirrell. It seems like he's just put up this 'good guy' facade to fool everyone. Ah well...

I just started reading this, and it's now in my favorites. This story truly is unique, and since I already have a weird kink for science, it's awesome to see rational!Harry in charge for once.

Update soon, please.
aeschenkarnos chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Fantastic story and I eagerly await each chapter.

However I'm not sure that Horcruxing the Pioneer Plaque is such a good idea. Certainly it puts the horcrux as far away from human beings as is practically possible. However:

MAGIC

1) It's presumably retrievable with any teleportation method not subject to distance-based limitation.

2) It's a spell of great power which may give off a noticable magical aura, particularly out in space where there is (presumably) *no* other magic of any kind, not even life.

3) Merry Christmas to the Mi-go people. Please accept this gifted mindslave.

4) Happy Birthday, Great Cthulhu. We sent you chocolates.

SCIENCE

1) Even though we lost contact with it in 1995, humans know pretty much exactly where this thing is. It travels at 11.6 km/s, ie ~0.3% of light speed, along a known trajectory. Even if you subscribe to Charles Stross's "The High Frontier Redux", (and in this world you don't, because of magic, and magic changes everything), that's still retrievable within a century or two.

2) It "yells". Not loudly any more, since it's getting such a tiny amount of power, but it could be detected by spacefaring entities.

3) Mi-Go. They do both science *and* magic.

4) Impact with *anything* at 11.6 km/s, however vanishly unlikely, is still going to destroy that horcrux.

MAGIC/SCIENCE

1) Use magic to solve scientific problems. FTL travel by some other means than teleportation. Magical adaptation to the space non-environment. Perpetual motion, breach of the laws of thermodynamics, solution of NP-complete problems, etc. Granted, Harry's feeling his way towards this "magistery", this synthesis of the Art and the Art ...

2) The Outer Dark is outer, and dark. Given how much else of "human science" is plain *wrong*, it's entirely likely that human science is wrong about the nature and perhaps the very existence of space itself. How does Voldemort know that Outer Space is not Cold Hell? (I stand within a nutshell, and count myself king of infinite space ...)

Out of all of this, were I Voldemort, I'd be most worried about the Mi-Go. Would you give effective control of one-seventh of your soul to hypersentient magical brain/bug/fungus things who specialize in magical control of souls?

(Of course, you can wand-wave all this away and declare that Mi-Go and similar things don't exist in your universe, and there really is insurmountable space between the stars ... but that's exactly what pre-story Harry believed about magic.)
Methinks chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
Absolutely incredible. I can honestly say I now have a new favorite story on this site. Out of all the myriad works of fiction I've ever read, this is one of the few that have ever made me stop and 'think', and that alone is about the highest praise I can give. Funny is easy. Tension, horror, and drama priceless, but common, tools. But stories where I actually want to pause and consider everything that's been said - and in such a fashion as to not disrupt the flow - are few in number and should be treasured. Please keep updating, I beg of you.
faithaholic chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
first of all, changing the ending was so not funny. it's finals week for me and i've been living on about 2 hours of sleep a night and coffee and when i looked at the ending again and it was different i thought i had hallucinated it or something. then as far as the whole 'how can i make it clear that prof quirrell is volemort' question, you have already made it quite clear. i started questioning the possibility during his speech at the welcoming feast. please don't change what you're writing just because there are some who haven't gotten it yet... it would negatively effect the quality of your story.
Andrew chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
My misinterpretation of events was the thought that Professor Quirrel had somehow repelled or fought down Voldemort, and was a zombie only when Voldemort attempted control.

I failed to connect the dots.
dogfoot75 chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
I swear, I read this last night, and the end was much different. Am I losing my mind?
NaruHarem4ever chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
good God, this is an intense fic! do they take nominations for best fanfic of the year?
Guest chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
Wonderful story. As to the ambiguity readers have about Quirrell being Voldemort, why not leave it in? Given that you finish the first year at Hogwarts, readers will at some point realize the truth even without authors notes. Any subtext that those readers miss on the first read through will then be something to enjoy on a second.
Nargle Hunter chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
I was about to go on this thing about how I'm hoping that Quirrell isn't the Dark Lord, though I had my strong suspicions that he was. Well, more of a half wish that he wasn't Voldemort. That was, until I read your authors notes. I think the reason why it's not so blatantly obvious is because you're so subtle about it. But it's a good subtle. But anywho, I like this version of the Quirrellmort. One of the best I've read so far. Stutters are so last book. And moreover, I love this version of Science!Harry, and I'm hoping that he does become Dark. Wouldn't he make the entire universe surreal?

Have fun writing more good fanfictions and may you never get writer's block!

~ Nargle Hunter
Farsan chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
Regardless of any subtle hints you give, readers will still doubt. In fact, we WANT to doubt, to be unsure of everything until the very last moment where the guilty party is revealed. Otherwise, it would be like reading the last page of a mystery novel to find out who the murderer is.

This is because this kind of Mysteries with Twist Endings a known trope of the Harry Potter novels, not much unlike Agatha Christie's novels. If they liked that trademark, they will forgive that there is no Twist Ending, but they won't forgive that a secret is 100% revealed with no chance to doubt the revelation in any way.
j hellfire chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
And so the world ends with a whisper
Lilith-Fey chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I don't usually leave reviews (more of shady lurker) but I wanted to add this to story alerts and it didn't seem right to do so and not review.

So I just read through all 20 chapters in one sitting (ok so I got up to eat-barely) and I'm exhausted. My brain hurts, my eyes are itchy and I've gone through more(sudden, quick to change from one extreme to another) mood swings than when I'm on my period w/o meds (Is that TMI?). I'm still in "my brain has just exploded, multiple times" phase and cannot really string together coherent thoughts yet.

I did read your AN for this chapter- at this point I don't know honestly. I don't know if I want Harry to be young Anakin or not.

The whole time with Quirrell- from the moment he stood at the beginning I thought "Holy crap, Voldemort is doing a full possession and he's pre- crazy obsessed with little boys. He's Riddle not Orchimaru." This was very disturbing since he's charismatic and *insert other sociopath's charming characteristic*. Then as I read it I started to doubt: would he tell a story that would broadcast a weakness of his? But wait not losing, but he's not crazy impulsive Voldemort and just when considering it might not be him because if he was then oh so screwed. Yeah. Wow. He did that to P11.

Oh and that sound right now? Yes that blue screen of death sound is my mind blipping. I vaguely thought 'what could he have done to P11? Did he somehow link to it so he can get pic... Wait link, no but' then reading the AN and having it spelled out in such a way that can't deny or ignore. Yeah forget doing any more critical thinking for the rest of the night that's for sure.

That's just a sample of how I felt reading this story. I've laughed long and hard and half way through the same chapter cried and couldn't stop. You've made me want to read your reference page for everything Harry has quoted. It's easy to identify and empathize with almost all the characters. Harry is a flawed, intelligent i/child/.

There's a lot more I want to say especially on Draco. Hermione and Neville. Order of Chaos. The note giver. And the fact that this is the only the first week...

But I'm going off to digest what I've read and later reread this over and over again. This wins my vote for Best WIP.
not someone else chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
iHow can I make it clearer without it being disruptive? If you have ideas, please share them./i

I don't think pointing out he's Lord Voldemort is the problem. I think the problem is that he's become a very important character over the last several chapters, much more so than he was in canon, and that he's manipulative enough to come across as very sympathetic despite the crazy stuff he says. Eventually, you're going to have to do to him what you did to Draco- and you're probably going to have to brace yourself in case you've accidentally made him *too* sympathetic. This happens with villains.

For the time being... maybe focus on some of the other characters? Maybe cast a worse light on him by proxy, via showing the reactions of some of the other students to what happened, or drawing parallels between some of the subtle-creepy stuff he did/implied and other bad stuff that happened to other kids? The main thing is, you probably need to play it off a blind spot of Harry's, though you might get a twofer there by pointing out some other weakness the boy has.
delorian time wizard chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
damn, this was my favorite chapter yet. can't WAIT until you update. I can't believe i'm getting all my schoolwork done either, having read this story twice. help me slack off!
QuodPot chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
What an amazing story! It's always really refreshing to not have to read your average run-of-the-mill fanfiction every single day! You start to see the pattern that starts running in with every story...sort of eerie. Good on you, mate!
Kalaras chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
My personal feeling about this is that every time we see Quirrell talking, it's been Voldemort. Voldemort who had a small interest in rationality, and a fascination with space travel, but otherwise was as his canon self right up until he got slapped down by the prophecy and a 16 month old. He then spent the last 10 years brooding about it, and deciding that maybe this whole dark lord gig is not for him.

Then, when Quirrell shows up, he offers the defense prof a deal - Tom gives Quirrell a lot of practical instruction on the dark arts (and by proxy) how to defeat them, while Tom gets a body to use now and again. They agree, but the first time that Tom does his possession thing, he ends damaging his host rather severely, leading to Quirrell being the zombie like state that is his default.

Thus, Tom has no real ulterior motive for what he's doing - he just wants to help out someone who he sees as like the younger version of himself, no matter what the path he chooses.
Mehwithsomenumbers chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
Very nice, you've left me wanting more and I hope you don't take too long to deliver.
Ayame89 chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
This whole story is absolutely awesome! When you said that it was something new, I thought you were simply bragging, but damn, you were right. I'll definitely be back for more.
Kitty Smith chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
Your Voldemort is SMART. But- even though he says he'll help Harry become a Dark Lord, it seems like he's actually helping him stay off that path... He's doing that on accident, right?
badkidoh chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
Great work on chapter 19 & 20.

Well there be any Harry & Hermione stuff soon?
VN chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
The phrase starting with "That seemed a little sad..." at the end is duplicated.
Mastigo chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I don't know whether or not I can claim the addition of:

as due to my previous review, but either way I'm glad you included it.

I should also mention that there's a repetition error at the end of chapter 20.
Ferius chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I think i'm in love.
DrE chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
Interesting chapter, I love astronomy myself, so I felt connected to most of the science part of this chapter.

This story is now 20 chapters long (congrats btw), but the pace is only getting slower and slower. I highly recommend you pick up the pace, and fast forward straight to Halloween from here, and to Christmas from there. if you continue with 1 chapters for each day of Harry's life, you'll never get anywhere with the story.

Keep up the good job.
ev11 chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I'm terribly sorry to inform you but i think you just ended hp fanfics for me.

As from this point on i will be almost forced to compare them to this and i truly feel it unlikely i will happen upon one such as this. i think one of y main reasons is that this is quite like how i envision things. the link between magic and the real world are astounding and powerfully effective. I've read many stories where harries' disregard of the rules around him elevate him but i think this must be the first one that has done the opposite and done it well. some parts of this i still cant align like how the dark lord went to the dojo "learnt" to loose and then utterly destroyed them when he was done. Yet is forming harry into what he is even tho he knows from the prophecy that harry can match him. unless he never really did and is doing this to defang his opponent or perhaps he learnt of the full prophecy and realized if he made harry like him and he wouldn't give up the chance of being immortal harry wouldn't either and they could stay out of each others way and both be gods among men with no one other than each other as potential adversaries... i find this all, very intriguing and cannot wait to read more. also thats another thing in terms of words what are these as when i read them it seems to tae so much longer than other stories so either you're a master of typeface or this truly carries enough message foe me to think on it as i read. P.S that scene with harry and the mat probably the most painful... maybe difficult bit of literature I've read for god knows how long and i read some pretty dark stuff at times. so kudos on the drama... stuff also glad to find another feynman fan on here.
mylittlehazmat chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
G-guh ... o_o;

I love how you've fleshed out Professor Quirrel. He's become my hero, I'm ashamed to say. The focus on space travel in this chapter was brilliant and mesmerizing and I want access to that spell, damnit! I'd probably starve from over-use of it, but really now, that's not much of a sacrifice for something like that ...

Thanks for writing this.

Kirsten
Taure chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I like how Voldemort's comments on pretending to lose reflect back upon his own experiences with the crazy ninja temple.
existenceseven chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I feel this chapter really redeemed your story. Not that the previous chapters were bad, but I felt that I couldn't understand where you were taking the plot. I doubt I know where you're really going with this story, but I like the dichotomy you've created between the logical and rational Harry and the insanity in which such a person would view the magical world
Team503 chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
An interesting turn of events, for Quirrell to become Harry's mentor. I think I like it.
Cubist chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I don't see why people think that putting a horcrux on Pioneer 11 makes Voldemort invincible. Sure, if Harry destroys every horcrux that's on Earth, the one on Pioneer is still around... and there Voldemort is: Billions of miles from Earth, and getting farther away by the second. Alone. Going slowly insane from the isolation. No one he can touch, no one to talk to, no one to control. In this situation, Voldemort will have gotten what he wanted, and gotten it good and hard. All hail the victorious Dark Lord!
Toki Mirage chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
THE most hilarious HP fic I've read in a year. Hands down. I'm so impressed with this story I really don't know what else to say. He's hilarious, he's a genius, his arguments are difficult to follow but utterly amusing. During your version of Harry-meets-Draco I was seriously rolling on my bed laughing so hard my diaphragm started aching. I haven't laughed that hard in years!

So to summarize a longish, ranting review, thanks for the hilarity and I hope to read more soon! :)

Mirage
Bel e Muir chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
That chapter was simply perfect for me. I'm no scientist/rationalist and logic isn't my cup of tea, not really, but I always longed for a fanfiction that would show the Dark Lord with a grand vision. In most fics, all he fights for is pureblood supremacy and outright slaughter.

Though I got confused- Quirrel IS Voldemort, isn't he? Maybe it's obvious but with your fanfiction we readers can never be too sure what is obvious and what is not.
BF110C4 chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I liked how we get a little taste of the past of LV, how he talks about resolving his parental situation to his satisfaction, or the reason why he hates scientists (except members of the NASA and similar projects).

The best part is how he tricks Dumbledore into giving Harry a neutral professor for the Mind Arts so early in the series or how he tells his (maybe) future nemesis about his Horcrux in such a way he admires him while telling him nothing that is truly dangerous to himself.
Pointer3109 chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
"(Actually, for all Harry knew, there were all sorts of incredibly destructive secrets which physicists kept to themselves, and the secret of nuclear weapons was the only one that had escaped into the wild. The world would look the same to him either way.)"

Tell Quirrell that idea...

For that matter, you can expand it into different fields. Chemistry for one.
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
*totally adores Quirrell*

If i'd been eleven, and had a teacher like that, and thye'd been a Dark Lord, I'd've definitely signed up.

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

Normally these chapters inspire a mix of hilarity and suspense nad uncomfortableness, the latter mostly because some of this really hits hime for me, but this one... it was just wonderful. Not that I don't like the other chapters - I love them all - but even so, this one... words defy any attempt to describe it.
ShardPhoenix chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
I love this story and I thought Quirrel as Voldemort was pretty clear from the start (although what he's telling the truth about vs. lying about hasn't always been), but I didn't have the faintest idea about the Pioneer Horcrux until I read your author's note. I doubt many other people did either - most people commenting on it in reviews sound like they read the note too. If you want that to have its intended impact without relying on the AN (especially since that will vanish soon) I think it needs to be a bit more obvious.

Also, while I've appreciated the last couple of chapters, they've been pretty serious/harrowing. Hopefully Harry will get to have some fun again next chapter. Plus more Hermione.

Anyway, thanks for writing this, update soon, will buy your book even though I already read much of the sequences, etc.
the true elec chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
Well what is there to say but wow, Voldemort just got a lot harder to kill. This Quirrell/Voldemort, is a very interesting character and it will be good to see what happens later on down the road because f this. As to how you can tell people Quirrell is Voldemort, well I personally can't see how they don't think that, I mean to change that would require a massive change of the timeline.
The Alec chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
An interesting update, but I have to admit I found the Authors note to be more enlightening then the actual chapter.

I think that you have left more than enough clues for the reader to suspect that Quirrell is Voldemort. On the other hand the reference to enchanting the Pioneer plaque went completely over my head. My only thought was that Harry was impressed that Quirrell had managed to put the equivalent of his signature on something that would be travelling through space. The idea that it would be a Horcrux never occurred to me, partly I think because it is the type of plan that is as risky as it is brilliant. I am pretty sure that the dark wizard who originally designed the Horcrux spell would not have had deep space travel in mind when he was designing it. Who knows what effect extreme range could have on the function of a Horcrux? It is not exactly the kind of thing you can test before hand either. You would essentially be making a leap of faith that it would still work. On the other hand the risks may well be worth the reward.
Zicou chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
Awesome chapter!

Continue,

Z.
Rodrigo Black Potter again chapter 20 . 5/10/2010
YOU HAVE BLOWN MY MIND! holly shit!

I mean! whooaaaaaa let me take a minute...

I have just read the AN and well... that was a surprise, I honestly though that quirrell was himself and that Voldemort was simply doing something else, like dunno, hunting for Nundos in Africa...

So hey, the spell was the view from the Plaque, rigt? that was why he is tired, hes voldemort, he doesn't get tired easily... and who knew?

but why is he helpoing harry? makes more sense to just kill him, but hes got nothing to lose... but yeah he does... Voldemort cant be killed, yeah, but neither can Kronos, the Time Titan, yet Zeus has dismembred him and kept him in prision, for eternity, in the dephts of Tartaro. So really, you dont have to hunt the horcuxes down, destroy them and kill Voldemort, put him to sleep, in a coma, forever in a cave wihtout exit, deep iside the earth, obliviate the location of it and keep the secret until you die.

anyway, great ideia with Pioneer, really great! but what if he wants to die someday? if he is tired?

bahh who cares? GREAT IDEA! you WIN, best harry potter work ever! Note I didn't say best fanfic, Best Work Ever!
JMLuna chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Tell me exactly how will Harry eventually win when he must destroy Voldemorts Horcruxes yet one is in space? Is he going to sneak into a rocket and take off? I understand that one must follow where the story wants us to go which Rowling probably majorly ignore during the last two books but I certainly hope you figure out a way for Harry to defeat him considering. While Quirelmort may have ulterior motives for teaching Harry to loose as you said it is a double edged sword, it could just teach him how to pull back and wait until a better time or teach him how to pretend to loose while he plots. It could ultimately backfire on him. Now what I'm curious about is why he would want Harry to want to be a dark lord as I doubt he wants his position usurped unless he wants people to loose faith in Harry if they learn of this.
Rodrigo Black Potter chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Professor QUirrel is sick! that is why he shall leave by the end of the year! that is why he sleep soo much, and that is why such a skilled man is professor,he wants to sped his last year of life doing his lifelong ambition: be a hogwarts professor! makes some sense, at least! love your story!
irdgad chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I think i'm going to cry with joy. Thats how good this chapter is... Each chapter brings out something new, something I wished could be seen is many of the stories. People in the wizarding world who are not fools. Brilliant people who use magic to do things that make having magic worth it.

Thank you for this story and the speed with which you post new chapters. Please do not leave it incomplete.
Acat chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
My comments:

One, this is awesome. Seriously awesome. There, author ego stroked, update more or the internet will murder you, moving on to criticism.

Two, I think you have a good idea of infusing rationality into a medium that receives wider attention than LW, as a sort of lead in to the sequences. Yet I think you are having some issues putting rationality into story. In some cases, it seems to work well. Most of the early chapters were good at getting across the idea of rationalist sane, etc. One place I thought it was particularly well done is the 2-4-6 task; you managed to insert a classic example of positive bias in such a way as to make it seem relevant to the story, relevant to the reader in terms of their own mental power, and in a way that re-introduced an existing character in an interesting way.

By contrast, the privileging the hypothesis message stands out as out of place; a diversion that doesn't seem relevant to the topic at hand. You even have Dumbledore point out the ways in which the analogy is invalid! Part of the problem is that it broke up the back and forth between the characters, and the explanation didn't make any of the immediate issues less confusing.

So, if you want readers to take away rationality, bind the rationality to the story more tightly. You're already doing a pretty good job at that; just try and make sure that any discussion of rationality allow the reader to dispel some sort of immediate confusion. If you make the reader feel smarter, they are more likely to use techniques that make them smarter.

Thirdly, beware author bias, also known as hindsight bias, or GM bias if you play RPGs. You wrote it; so naturally you know exactly what is going on. We don't have that luxury, and you should know that any estimate you make of how much information we need to reach what you think is going to be off by a lot. Indeed, given only the information that is in the actual story at this point there really isn't enough to conclude that PQ is LV; you need to know the canon, and guess how much you've stayed true to it and how much you haven't. My theory was that Dumbledore was simply wrong about LV being back, that LV was in fact dead and everyone was being, well, irrational about it. and while in hindsight it does seem silly, that's just hindsight. No real way to pick it out among the other competing hypotheses.

My suggestion would be to change the feeling for dread Harry gets when first attempting to interrupt PQ into a sharp pain in his scar. In canon, this is a pretty reliable indicator of LV's presence, but it wouldn't really change the story at all. Alternatively, have PQ talk about his diary, or talk to a snake - something unquestionably characteristic of LV. If all else fails, simply make a note of the places your fic diverges from canon; the part where PQ is possessed will be notable by its absence on such a list.
hi chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
beautiful. Excellent work with Quirrel/voldy.
Bob-san chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
So basically Prof. Quirrell is the actual non-possessed Prof. Quirrell? Interesting; most of the time he's either possessed or still an idiot. This guy's pretty cool actually.
Majin Hentai X chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This was beautiful. I mean you've taken the villain and made him human deeply human. I can't call him Voldermort I can only Professor Riddle the one character of Harry Potter who we never truly got too know and you create this work of art. He reminds me of The Doctor when the actor and the writer synchronize to channel the character we hold deep in our imaginations.

Your writing all seven years and writing them good.

This is Majin Hrntai X Saluting for being a great author.
Golden chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Whoa. Voldemort's horcrux is... whoa.

Mind. Blown.

You just won the _alphabet_, dude, because even the entire internet isn't enough of a prize to commemorate your awesomeness. I bow to your greatness.
wolf550e chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
So your Voldemort, being much smarter than JKR's version, did hide a Horcrux on an object that left the solar system and while he was at it, he put a little 360 camera into it as well. Hoping that one day it will be discovered and he'll possess a future space-faring human or an alien and thus escape even if planet Earth doesn't survive. I like it; I have advocated this for years as a good Horcrux strategy.

In canon, Voldemort saw a Harry Potter who didn't show any sign of ever becoming a worthy adversary and so didn't intend to cause him any harm during the year, but in your story Harry Potter is clearly showing all the signs of one day becoming a problem. Why doesn't Voldemort immediately kill him? Does he really think the risks incurred by trying to train HP into a loyal lieutenant worth it?

In such a small society as the British Wizarding world, how could Quirrel be such an unknown that Dumbledore wouldn't know enough about him to notice he's possessed? He's certainly teaching in a way that would mark him as very different from most wizards, even Aurors. A memorable someone.
Everetza chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
YOU RULE. You deserve every praise you have got up until now times 10 for that idea. It makes him pretty much invincible... YOU RULE; such a good idea. Keep updating, this fic never ceases to astound me (in a good way, which, for fanfiction, is *very* rare!)
TBooki chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Woot! Another quick update! Awesome!

The chapter was magnificient and I find myself liking Quirrell more and more! Keep up the great work!

tbooki
aeris chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
...so in order to get rid of the final frontier Horcrux, not only has Harry got to become the Master of Death, but also Master of the Universe.
ByLanternLight chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This is the first Quirrell I have ever felt any sort of emotion for, and I am going to be horribly sad when he dies. I might cry. Manly tears, of course, but still. Another 6/5 for going beyond the impossible yet again.
Poliphilus chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I'm glad you took that last line back out. WAY too unsubtle and a little cheesy. (I was going to say, at least take out the quotation marks around his name...)

So there seem to be three basic possibilities:

1. A smart reader should have been able to figure out that Quirrell is obviously or very likely Voldemort by now

2. It is genuinely unclear

3. A smart reader would have led to believe by now that Quirrell is -not- Voldemort

I definitely don't think #3 is true. Clearly you were aiming for #1 while reader responses suggest #2. The huge difference in Quirrell's personality between this and the canon might be contributing to that — I definitely found myself thinking "Well, if the original book shows what he's like when he -is- possessed by Voldemort, maybe this is an attempt to show what he's like normally. He was supposed to have been very accomplished and skilled and not at all timid or stuttery prior to being taken over by Voldemort, right? This probably isn't too bad an imagining of what he would have been like." Other things that threw me off: Why is he being such an exceptionally good Battle Magic teacher to a class full of people who -mostly- aren't potential Voldemort followers, many likely enemies? (He didn't have to consolidate the four (?) classes; he could have taught the good stuff to Slytherin and taught more by the book to the other Houses.) And: When he's already this close to Harry, why doesn't he just Avada Kedavra him and get it over with? I suppose I could ask that about the book too, but in that case it seems more plausible because Quirreldemort is very weak compared to peak-performance Voldemort; that may still be true to a lesser degree in your version, but since this Quirrell is so much more powerful and skilled compared to Canon Quirrell, and clearly a lot smarter than Canon Voldemort, it's easy to get thrown off. Most of your changes have clear explanations: Harry is a rationalist because he was raised by a bibliophile scientist; Hermione gets into Ravenclaw because she's obviously a Ravenclaw and you're fixing an obvious mistake in the canon; et cetera. Maybe the very different character of Quirrell will be explained at some point, but as it is right now, I think the Quirrell-isn't-Voldemort hypothesis has a legitimately higher probability than you were intending. It's a bit like if you had Harry be raised by the Dursleys as in canon but he still somehow turns out to be Rationalist Harry. (Not -quite- as implausible, but along the same lines.) A corollary to your First Law of Fanfiction: if you construct a compelling explanation for -how- it came about that Frodo is a Jedi, you must construct an equally compelling reason why Sauron has the Death Star.

I'm not saying you don't have a good consistent explanation for Quirrell to be like this. You probably do. But I am saying it's not too clear at this point in the story.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If it keeps people guessing, it'll keep them reading. In the original book, there probably [haven't read it in a while] wasn't even enough evidence to locate the Quirrell-is-Voldemort hypothesis before it was explicitly revealed; at least here it'll be on people's minds and they'll be looking for clues. I hope you'll forgive your readers if it still seems a bit indeterminate to us, because, unlike you, we're only human and we can't construct and compute complex Bayes nets in our heads. (Omega? Is that you?)

Meanwhile I continue to be amused by reviewers objecting to the horrible things Draco and Quirreldemort have said/done as though you're condoning them by having already-morally-questionable characters discuss them in a story.

Finally, I shall say that I've been curious if some more explicitly transhumanist themes would show up, but I can understand if you want to spend a lot of time carefully propagandizing rationality first and get to that later or in other stories. There would have been some good opportunities, though. When Snape mentions potions that can "stopper death", I was half expecting Harry to wonder "Why isn't this potion being mass-produced and given to EVERYONE?" But I suppose that or something equivalent or better will be part of his master plan when he gets to it.
unnamed2 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
The star spell shows the view from Pioneer 11, right? Q/V says it's a true image and imagines himself out there.

Also, keep writing, more more, etc. etc.
Dur'id the Druid chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Huh, wow. You keep going in unexpected directions. Is the DA professor possed by Tom? And if so... your making him really intellgent. Grinwald intellgent with more of a violent beginning until he wised up some. It certinly puts a strange perspective on that story of the martial arts master and Tom.
William H Stoddard chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I do have to agree with the commenter who objected to your slighting reference to Atlas Shrugged, not least because it does not appear to reflect a careful reading of the book in question. In particular, it comes up in the following exchange:

"Not to mention," Harry said, "being a Dark Lord would mean that a lot of innocent bystanders got hurt too!"

"Why does that matter to you?" Professor Quirrell said. "What have they done for you?"

Now, Ayn Rand is famous as an advocate of selfishness; and many people conceive selfishness to mean doing anything one feels like, without caring if it harms other people, and thus conceive that the prototypical selfish person would be a criminal, a slave owner, or a dictator . . . or, in this context, a Dark Lord. And thus they suppose that Ayn Rand is advocating that people should become Dark Lords, and that her heroes ARE Dark Lords. But that's not at all her conception of selfishness. Rand makes it clear that she believes in the harmony of rightly understood interests, or the principle that one person cannot attain their own self-interest by preventing other people from pursuing theirs by force or fraud. This is not the common understanding of self-interest, I agree . . . in particular, it is not the one that is embedded in utilitarian thought . . . but it has a respectable philosophical ancestry of its own, including Plato's parable of the Ring of Gyges and Spinoza's political philosophy. Rand's strikers take an oath not only not to "live for the sake of another man," but also not to "ask another man to live for mine"—and enslaving other people would violate that oath.

The only one of Rand's major heroic characters who thinks otherwise, and seeks to pursue his own interest through power over others, is Gail Wynand in The Fountainhead. And he's a tragic figure who is destroyed by his own pursuit of power.

Now, I grant that you may not agree with Rand's view of selfishness. But for you to assume that the conception of selfishness that forms part of your philosophy is valid, and the one in Rand's philosophy is invalid, and to attack her for "really" advocating what you mean by "selfishness," without regard for what she means by "selfishness"—to assume that she advocates becoming a Dark Lord—is hard not to take as begging the question. Admittedly Harry might have read her just that hastily . . . obviously some bright people do . . . but it strikes a bit of a false note in his characterization as somebody who is more rational and more a product of the Enlightenment than anyone else in sight. It's a minor false note, but I found it disappointing. If you had Harry complain that Quirrell was sounding like Nietzsche, or Stirner, or Thrasymachus (in Plato's Republic), it would have worked better and made the point you were aiming at.
Iadia chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Here's my 2 cents: it makes perfect sense that Voldemort would befriend Harry. You can get to know your enemy in some ways by antagonizing him, but in different ways by befriending him. And you've managed to give Voldemort a credible situation in which he was able to do both. If people don't see that Quirrell is Voldemort... well, you didn't find that out for certain until the end of the first book anyway. So why not go ahead and let them be surprised? You don't have to make it obvious; in some ways it will have that much more emotional impact if it isn't.
NORGCO chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
And the longer it goes on the more intrigued I am about this new Quirrell. Either:

1) He was not taken by Mold in the shorts, and the whole stuttering turban wearer bit was a disguise.

Or

2) This is a different and altogether more dangerous version of Voldemort who has decided to mould Harry for some purpose of his own.

Both are intriguing ideas. Certainly the Quirrell presented is more what a Slytherin DADA professor should come across as.

Looking forward to more.
The Corrupted Mind of Emmaline chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I...I don't think there's any other way to say this... But...I... LOVE YOU! You're hilarious and a great writer, and imaginative, and you know how to make an insane Harry and an insane Dumbledore a good thing and...did I mention that I LOVE YOU? Because I do, really. Like, unconditionally! If I was wherever you are right now I'd hug you and then tie you to a chair then make you write more to the story because it's so FREAKING AWESOME! I simply, no matter how hard I tried, could NOT stop laughing at some of your chapters! This chapter was a slightly more serious one, but it was still GREAT! YOU ARE AMAZING, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE! (Insert fan-girl scream here.) YOU! (And your writing you hilarity-ridden person, you!) Haha, the chicken!
Peanuckle chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
And so Voldemort's servant get's his claws dug into Harry early on.

I can't wait for Harry to apply the scientific process to the development of magic itself. I can only imagine the kind of stuff he'd come up with. Maybe creating true AI with the assistance of a wand?
quickshot0 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Hmmm, I think I finally might have an inkling of where this might all be heading... I also suspect that way lies much madness and lastly I suspect that Harry and Voldemort are divided deeply in the basic principles that guide their life.

So it's kind of funny how they get along, while ultimately they might be fated to each others worst kind of enemies and not just by fate or chance. But also by perspective and philosophy this time, basically how they view reality and what needs to be done about it. Which leads to Harry's ultimate plans, which are actually rather similar to my own, also they are rather insanely dangerous. Still, such is life with reality alteration, need to take some risks if you want to pull that off. I hope his alterations are worth the risk, well on the other hand, the 'muggles' will eventually get around to it themselves anyway.

Now to think of alternate ways to get rid of people using Horcruxes that are near impossible to get at. Well admittedly you could use a faster space probe to intercept and vaporise it, but that would still take ages unless you can some how magic something over. Hmmm, maybe some kind of signalling interrupt would be possible instead... Or a transfer of the whole 'spirit' to Pioneer, that would be ironic in a way.
Nongarak chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Wow. What a great two chapters. I didn't get a chance to review 19 immediately, so count this for two. I immensely enjoy your stories, and I am constantly amazed at both your skill in writing and your knowledge. Thank you, and please continue to be awesome. I have a few questions, though. 1) How old is Quirell supposed to be? Canon didn't specify, but you're making him sound pretty old, even if it's Voldemort talking. 2) Why is Voldemort so nice? I realize he has ulterior motives (it would be stupid if he didn't), but he doesn't seem that Voldemort-y at all. I actually like him. Likable!Voldemort is not something that appears all that often. Anyways, continue sciencing and being awesome. Thanks.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, you're fic wasn't deemed worthy of the Dark Lord Potter forums for some reason. Laaaaaame.
Will Newsome chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Also, were Lily and James smarter in this fanfic than than they were in canon? I mean, nurture goes a long way and all, but Harry seems to be at least 3 standard deviations (roughly 120-165) more intelligent in the fic.
Von chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I confess, I didn't enjoy this chapter at all. It's irritating to see Harry be so blatantly manipulated in EVERY way and during the same breath he draws to claim he's too smart to fall for other manipulations.

I get that he's a kid and this is one of the aspects of his immaturity. He's like Granger in a way where because he knows so much, he thinks he knows everything needed - at least for social situations. But Quirrell is leading him about by the nose so blatantly at times and Harry doesn't even think about it! Where's Draco's deal when you need it?

And so what was with that bit about the food? Harry didn't eat that stuff, he ate candy and cookies. Dumbledore only tested for legimency, apparently he should have tested for the Obliviation as well.

No, I got really excited about this story because it seemed to be a clever, humerous and fascinating look at revolutionising the wizarding world. Now it's doing a Book 6 and taking a sharp right into irritating and depressing land.

Oh well. I'm sure you won't miss one little reader! Have a good one!
Will Newsome chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
You know, now that I think about it, this would be a damn good Fun Theory universe. And I suppose that you writing about it vastly increases its measure in a level 4 multiverse (though these things are very fuzzy unto me). I wonder if a djinn is going to pop up at some point to teach Harry and the readers a lesson or two about the hidden complexity of wishes. I'm not sure if you could pull off a djinn-as-uFAI chapter and have the story continue in any reasonable way. Maybe that will become the climactic story arc, though: "don't (or don't let Riddle) hit the big green button!" I hope Harry learned a lesson from the time experiment.

Chapters 18 and 20 were awesomely awesome. (I'm going to break the second rule and brag: Steve gave me quite a few Bayes points for guessing that the Pioneer plaque was horcruxed before reading the author's notes.) I find myself wishing that the next chapter will be about Harry and Malfoy, then I change my mind and hope it has more Quirrellmort, then I want to see more of Harry experimenting with magic, then I say scratch that, I'd like to figure out more about Dumbledore's motives, or what Hermione's been up to, et cetera, et cetera.

It's so well-written that I gave my mom a link to Chapter 1 for mother's day. :)
CurrentlyIncognito chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I am beginning to wonder if your Professor Quirrell has a second head, because he seems to be making Harry good! Oh, hello. : ) First time reviewing. I found this only two days ago and found it to be a really really enjoyable read. It's different and queer, but thoroughly enjoyable. :D Update soon!
ejhawman chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Send a Horcrux into interstellar space?

Yeah, that would make it last a while longer. It would imply that distance isn't a factor in the operation of the Horcrux; it will keep his spirit anchored just as effectively as a terrestrial Horcrux.

But it seems a radical departure from the character of the Potterverse that a non-Muggleborn wizard would pay enough attention to Muggle affairs to even think of this.

Truly, this Voldemort is smarter than your average wizard, and worthy of being a Dark Lord.
Kageshimaru chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I find myself being more impressed by each chapter. I can't wait until the next and the next and the next. I really struggle for what else to say besides how much I love this fic.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This chapter was entertaining, but it had several annoying fallacies and detail problems.

EG: The primacy of intentions fallacy, confusing technology and science, the oligarchy of eggheads fallacy, and even a random smear of "Atlas Shrugged".

~-~-~

We are also supposed to "know" that Voldemort is Quirrell, when the clues were ¿deliberate? lies.

Canon!Quirrell is NOT possessed by Voldemort - in the canon definition of possession. No one lasts long under such possession (Rowling). No, Quirrell semi-voluntarily allows Voldemort to reside on the back of his head - thus the need for the turban. Yet this Quirrell has no turban; maybe the possession will kill him by Christmas?

Also, Harry's scar is a superb Voldemort detector. Yet, Harry has had no debilitating pain on close exposure to Quirrell.

~-~-~

What is the range of a horcrux? There is no evidence that wizards have made it beyond (or even into) the Stratosphere. It may be that magic is confined to the biosphere of Earth. Perhaps Riddle's soul is spread too thin in more ways than one.

Why would Harry mention Pioneer, when by this time, it was all but forgotten for the faster, sexier, Voyager Program (which also had plaques)?

~-~-~

Finally, Dumbledore was OOC. It's not like him to go off half cocked. Rather he seems to get too much information and wait too long to act on it.

~-~-~

Anywho, these are nits because we love. This is an exceptional fanfic, so it gets held to a higher standard.
DarkHeart81 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Good chapter. Was surprised when Dumbledore broke into the room. lol

I can't help thinking this fic is going pretty slow. Unless I'm mistaken about how much time has passed, we're twenty chapters in and only gotten to the first week of classes. At this rate it's going to take forever to finish first year, let alone the other six. lol
blue-critic chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
You have given me my first literary orgasm... and it was via a Fanfiction.

Thank you.

That is all.
Weuer chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
1.) I suggest slowing down the pace. Each scene right now is far too short and fails to really capture the settings and emotions. You need to invest more words in descriptions.

2.) Everything is too dramatic. You seriously need to invest more words in descriptions, to justify the characters' actions.

3.) I disagree with your principal that, to be original, you "just don't do stuff that's already been done." You know why.
Rijl Kent chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
word word your story, complimentary words.

I haven't reviewed before now, because I didn't think I had anything original to say, and really, you've got enough.

But after reading your notes for this chapter, in which you say, "the reader is genuinely supposed to know that" Quirrell is still Voldy, I had to comment.

Because I wasn't sure.

Quirrell is, because of canon, suspicious, but he's trying very hard to convince Harry he's a good teacher/man/etc. He, in fact, IS convincing Harry (who is very smart), and, well, you haven't been giving the reader anything you haven't given Harry.

I was still suspicious, of course, but I was beginning to entertain other possibilities. Surely, you can't blame your reader for THAT. I may have missed it in earlier chapters, or perhaps forgotten it (I, like many of your readers, I suspect, am in the middle of many fictions, and some subtle details may get lost between chapters). Perhaps I should have re-read everything, but when a new chapter comes out, I'm mostly interested in finding out what comes next.

If you want to be very clear, perhaps you can show a behavior that Harry misses in an earlier chapter, and get rid of the evil-villain-laugh(tm) in this chapter. Some odd two-faced moment where it's clear that Voldie is taking over.

Hm. re-reading the authors notes seems to indicate you did that. humph. other points:

I'd also have liked it to be more clear in the story that the Pioneer plaque was horcruxed (horcruxing is a verb now!). I didn't get that from the text, only from the authors notes. It's a pretty fricken awesome smart move by voldy, but I wish I learned it from HIM, not you, if you know what I mean.

I'd like to think that I didn't miss it merely through stupidity. V only says, "I cast a little spell on that lovely golden plaque which will make it last a lot longer than it otherwise would." In my reading, I thought, maybe he really did, because he seems to genuinely be impressed by space travel, maybe he's lying to impress Harry, or maybe it's something else. By something else, horcrux never crossed my mind. In hindsight, the "You win." is especially ominous.

I do think that you could have given the reader a better clue-in without alerting Harry. Something maybe about making last for many many 'normal' or 'average' lifetimes. I dunno.

I guess that I'd say that you shouldn't assume that your readers bring the same assumptions to your text that you do. In original fanfiction set in the wizarding world, _anything_ can happen. I don't think you should expect your readers to know what direction your going (in fact, I'd think you'd hope not), and little hints about the direction may only make sense if you know a priori what the twist is going to be.

My next issues is that your author notes disappear. This doesn't bother me overmuch because I don't think I missed anything really important, but you may be getting new readers all the time, and they might like to know what they've missed. I think if it were me starting now, I'd be all bummed out.

Similarly, I'm now very curious about the harder-core lesson Harry learned that I lost in the edit. Any way to read the original?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing this story; I really enjoy it.

words words compliment can't wait words.

Peace-

-Rijl
SensiblyTainted chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Man, I have no idea how you did it, but I'm in love with Quirill! Oh, I know, you just changed him completely. I for one am GRATEFUL! He's totally kick ass, and so is Harry. Though Dumbledore's sudden capitulation seemed suspicious. One moment argueing the next, so I'll see you next time, yes? Hahaha. And I like that Dumbledore, though the antagonist for this chapter, is still not really a "bad guy". Things are so blurred in your story, the characters so complex that it's not easy to classify them. And in litterature, which by necessity we classify characters, action, setting, is quite remarkable.
DvorakQ chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Wow. Your Voldemort wins. Thanks, I hope you keep up the superb work.
jdboss1 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
It made my weekend that you twice in two days I always love the cleverness of your conversations

now down to the points I dislike

I always enjoy a non-magical raised Harry Potter to realise his instant advantage in knowing technology

allowing a couple of wizards in sight into this I feel takes away Harry Potter's strongest weapon I know

ever since your Harry Potter has got to school he has had a depression episode in not understanding that

being strong and powerful isn't a bad thing and that the outdated magical community is there for the taking

all because you have control doesn't make you a bad when people say they can conquer the world that doesn't

in my opinion equal evil mass if I walk up the next day and was given powers that rivalled Superman I would

seek out to pacify the planet and have it under a semi-one world government that would make me evil

Personally I took until he got to school I thought your Harry Potter was strong independent determination

I'm not naive and the least aware that light and dark good and evil are just labels people used to justify

a decision ever since he's met the sorting Hat he has been in denial I don't really understand why you do this

might be white for couple of chapters but you seem to be carrying this on I enjoy a character that does not always

question himself like this I know he's only 11 years old that first dozen chapters I thought made Harry Potter

not a mere child

I know you have some great and clever reason for doing the above as I have learnt not to question your madness

no wisdom has every new chapter is fantastic even if your Harry Potter is going through a weird period

I really want Harry Potter to realise on his tools I would have thought by he wood at the least considered his family

after that threat to kill them by his teacher he hasn't even received a letter from them or send one Harry Potter

he's a home all the time person who I am sure you would certainly go for a week without seeing them to have some

side effects he has never been without them I know if it was me and wouldn't be coping at age 11 away from parents

What I would like to see in the next couple of chapters

1 interaction between Harry Potter and his family you treating it like he is an orphan from how little interaction he had

2 a good harry and Hermione he has one with nearly every other character a couple of times I just think it's time to redress

the balance

3 won the lottery and not need to go to work so you can update every day for the rest of your life lol

PS this has easily become my most favourite story on here know other update pleases me to most intense I get a updats message

Recommendation if you spread your updates out he would give people more time to review that chapter as I read the chapter19

but I did not get around to reviewing it I do want you to miss out on any review numbers
Lord Dragon Claw chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
To start off, I read the Author's Note.

Voldy horcruxed the Pioneer 11? HOLY SHIT! They'll never get rid of him now.

You sir, are awesome.

Lemme know when your book comes out, ja?
nonajf chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I've been having a blast reading this story! I love how taking Vernon out so totally changed Harry and can't wait to see where you are going to take next.

I love that you've made Voldemort a more full-bodied character, and that, while he's still evil personified, he isn't not an idiot. You've captured that seductiveness of evil that attracts supporters and zealots. Now we have to see if Harry's rationality can stand up to the cult of personality that Quirrell/Voldemort is becoming for him.

I admit to squeeing when you revealed the Horcrux in the Pioneer plaque! Eee! So clever and so hard for wizards to even comprehend.

In response to your Author's Note, it's perfectly clear to me that Quirrell is Voldemort. There are plenty of clues and many are pretty blatant.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
MacShimi chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I've been reading this story for a few weeks, and I've enjoyed the updates enormously. I don't want to influence your story-telling preferences in any way, as your judgement as a writer has been superb thus far. However, as a reader who has greatly enjoyed a story that you wrote I wanted to make two points: 1, that I am grateful to you for the enjoyment I have received from reading this story, and 2, that in many ways I see this as a story of Hogwarts as it ought to have been rather than as it was, and wish that the original story could have maintained its own popularity and spread more rational thinking with it.

Cheers,

MacShimi
Kodachi chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Oh, I do like this Defense Professor. I love a really well done Quirrell - see Harry Potter and the Dark Lord's Blessing at the PottersPlace 3 Yahoo! group - and I do have to say, this is the sort of Dark Lord I could get behind. He actually thinks! And is wise, and learns from mistakes, and has a damned good reason for hating Muggles - wizards gain their skills through some effort, and no one as lazy as Ron Weasley is going to become a world-shaker, but any muggle warlord could get their hands on at least low-end NBC weapons.

Great stuff, and I can't wait to see more.
MaeSilverpaws1 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
WOW Harry's made friends with Quirelmort...

I can't wait for more...

Mae
Marcus Rowland chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Someone recced this today and I've enjoyed it a lot, looking forward to more.
Materia-Blade chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Hmm. Wrote it a bit too quickly this time. Dialogue top notch. Detail however is drowning a bit. Was still great though.
Kuba chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Absolutely amazing work. Hell, I'm enjoying reading this more than the actual Harry Potter books way back in the day. I truly hope you keep writing this series. Thank you!
The French Dark Lord chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This is just amazing!
Balatros chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I loved this chapter, The idea of Standing in a giant vacuum of space is amazing, They had an exhibition similar to that at the ROM in Toronto in canada and it was Amazing. Good work on mention Pioneer space program, didn't expect to see that in here.
Yvain01 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
"If anyone would care to make some fan art for this fic, I would like to request Lord Voldemort photoshopped into the place of the man on the Pioneer plaque as part of a Demotivator"

renata regina chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I'm not sure what to think about Quirrel... Is he already possessed? Is Harry's mentor really the Dark Lord? And is Harry's "dark side" the piece of Voldemort's soul? I can't wait until the big eureka moment when it all comes together, but I'm having fun guessing for now.
DoubleC chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Have read the author's notes.

He what? Even supposing Quirrel is Voldemort, the Horcrux in space failed to occur to me. (Well, duh.) So, you're saying he's that smart, but got blown up by a baby from a self-fulfilling prophesy? ...Is Dumbledore also extra smart here?

I really dislike Draco in this story. Because, okay, Harry-the-child-genius, that's given as the 'what if' premise. Okay, Voldemort is super-smart... although, in his case, just 'smart' is, like, x100 cleverer than in the canon, but, still, okay. But why all the other kids are such brainiacs? Draco, Hermione? The adults seem unchanged, basically.

I didn't figure out Quirrel was Voldemort. I thought that he was either Voldemort, or working for Voldemort, or just plain evil. Even with his lovely 'dealt with parental issues' comment, I mean, who knows. The zombie thing is, probably, the most telling of all the indicators. - We don't really know anything about this character except that he's vastly different than in canon, after all.

And I don't know if it at all needs to be plainly stated that Quirrel is Voldemort. Surely it'll all come out at some point. It's obvious he's up to *something* on a large scale, that's plenty enough.
Ellyanah chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Best fic this year. By far.

Your Quirrell is brilliant, and keeps me guessing as to who he is, and what his true intentions are.
WolfKeeper989 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This was an interesting chapter. I wonder what Quirrell's purpose is in this fic?
Celestial Moonwalker chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I want him to not be a Dark Lord. Is it terribly wrong to love him so much? Why did Tom have to become a megalomaniac fighting for world dominance?

But I really hope Harry learns to be a bit more ...distrustful, I suppose. Merlin knows what Tom can do to him!
Thekilleregglord chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Fun chapter, though I don't see any possible way Harry wins.

Also Harry's desire not to betray his impulse to kindness is a wonderfully incoherent moral sense, not to mention he still hasn't gathered that in the magical world we know souls exist (and that essential human identity is non-physical) and humans have moral dignity in a nice Platonic way, no messy utilitarianism required.

BTWs, but I figure (although it is probably to late) that it would be easier to adopt Aristotelian substances as a magically detectable overlay of nature. That way transfiguration is a transformation of material characteristics but not of actual substance.

Although it would be fun to see best intentions Harry destroy the world, perhaps murdering his own children to bring about the Singularity.

Scary Dumbledore was Scary, also nice to see him as a real person/wizard.

Also, no one gives a shit about the whole monastery thing because 1) Voldemort is already totally evil in our fanfiction genetic memory. 2) I've already read a thousand "Voldemort does really evil shit" stories or bits. Rape Happy Draco is a little more shocking because it is unexpected.
Mac Ceallach chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Holy crap. I was reading the chapter. And loved the character interactions. The entire scene is surreal when you *know* what we know, but it is *completely* consistent with Harry's knowledge. The Voldemort-as-Harry's Mentor thing is just incredible. Who will change who the most? And then I read the authors note and- damn. I missed that entirely. The best, most intelligent thing to do with a Horcrux. AND HE BRAGGED ABOUT IT TO THE ONE WHO WILL HAVE TO DESTROY IT SOMEDAY! Rereading the chapter, I was just reduced to incoherence at that point.

But,

#41: Once my power is secure, I will destroy all those pesky time-travel devices.

Harry has proven he will break the laws of physics to win. Good thing Voldemort taught him how to lose.

Just- incredible. Thank you.
FishGod chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Huh? Does Quirrell even have the Dark Lord in his head anymore?

And did he do the things he describes doing or was it Tom if he is attached to the back of his head?

I really wish he was not Voldermort host now. He seems to cool to think of him as the incompetent, sadistic drama queen Dark Lord of the original series.
TimesARiver chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Yep. Quirrel is Voldemort. Sigh... oh well. Nice chapter.
MrRobertsIII chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Coolest Quirrell ever.
Max chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
got one word for you, WOW! gotta say i love this quirrell, and it would be a shame in my honest opinion if he turned out to have voldemort on the back of his head. keep up the good work and keep up the mind bendingly great work. btw i NEVER write reviews even on the stories i love reading so i can truly say that your work stands above the rest. i cant wait for the next update
Heidinanookie chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
okay, somehow this is creeping me out - Harry being such good friends with Quirrel, who's essentially Voldemort. What's even worse is that he (Qirrelmort) doesn't sound insane at all... rather like a highly intelligent and thereby very, very dangerous enemy. I guess that they get on so well because they are alike.

Also, I'd like to venture my first guess about the plot: I'm guessing Harry's Dark Side is the part of Voldemort's soul that's stuck inside him (you know, all that about the urge to kill and gain world dominion and all... well, maybe not the part about world dominion but certainly the part about violence and gore). I hope that he's going to get rid of it some time in the future. I'm actually counting on it.

and, oh god, I can emphasize with Harry! Sometimes, watching the night sky makes me feel lonely and insignificant to the point of tears, too. Yet it's infinitely calming to know that you don't really matter at all on the great scale of the universe.

uhm. ah... Voldemort IS inside Quirrell's head, right? Why on earth would he be acting in Harry's best interest, then, looking out for him, his education and his mental state? I don't get this. Is this supposed to make Harry into a good companion for Voldy? Or does he want to make Harry feel safe with him and trust him so he can kill him later? If he wanted that why didn't he just poison the "snacks" he offered Harry and which the boy so readily consumed?

Oh! Maybe he wants to possess Harry after he thoroughly prepared his vessel? Well, THAT would be a cool plan!

Now, how am I doing so far? :D

heidi
Cremello chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Amazing chapter! And I do know Bayes's Teorem... I feel so proud. Anyways, I seriously envy your writing abitity, so you'd better make the most of it! Keep writing forever!
DoubleC chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I wish I had 'ideas for making large amounts of money quickly'...

Haven't read the autor's notes yet.

Do you mean that about Quirrel 'smiling rather evilly'?

The reasons I hate Quirrel so much:

1) He's too clever. Dumbledore's too clever, too, probably, but we already know he's got good intentions, from canon. Quirrel is an unknown, and

2) He's done nothing to prove himself the least bit trustworthy (although he certainly has proved himself awesome), and yet

3) Harry places his faith with Quirrel outright, despite mistrusting Dumbledore, suspecting Snape, and being cautious with Minerva, and Quirrel skillfully maintains and intensifies this trust with every meeting.

4) And also, he's all the time getting personal and calling people who disagree with him fools. What a jerk.

5) And I can add to number 3 another page of reasons Harry shouldn't trust Quirrel, but he does, and that's totally annoying.

6) Oh, right, and, of course, that little fact that he teaches eleven-year-olds how to be ruthless killing machines.

Love this story.
Awesome chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Yes. This IS.
GG chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This is a reply to Scarlet and all the other people who would like to read other works of Eliezer aka LessWrong:

You may like 'Sword of Good': /other/fiction/the-sword-of-good
RamenKnight chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I hope thats just a random evil smile because this is my favorite quirrel/oc/ooc EVER!
tatewaki2000 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Pfft.

Evilly? Is that even a word. o.o

But yeah... A mesmerizing Quirrell.

He's as amazing as that infamous author that made a competent Lockheart. No lie. :)

Fantastic. I applaud you.
Xuenay chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Whoa. Great chapter, again. Even if it's been a while since I read the original books and I didn't realize that Q's spell on the Pioneer plaque was actually a Horcrux until you pointed it out.

For this chapter, I especially liked the interaction between the wizarding world and the muggle world. I can't wait to see how else you're going to mix and match the best of the both worlds together.
cheekylildevil chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Still not that good, compared to previous chapters, and since you are probably intending to follow the plot of the book at least with evil Quirrell, I still don't feel anything more for him than I would some random hufflepuff who is never even mentioned in the books.

Sorry,

Indi
Scarlet - again again chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
So, NASA lost contact with Pioneer 11 in 1995, which is either a) awesomesauce news for Quirrellmort (stealing another reader's nickname for grate lulz), or means that Harry managed to do something to it as a teenager, which may not be outside the realm of possibility.

You'll know, no doubt (I don't!), whether or not the Pioneer probes can be remotely programmed in the way the Voyagers can (er, I think they can, I may be buggering that up), perhaps it could be persuaded to crash into something horribly destructive... hrm, not sure what really qualifies that's close enough. 13 was destroyed in Venus' atmosphere, but that's a HELL of an atmosphere, and 11's WELL past there. No idea. Gonna be stuck thinking about it for a while, though :).
KGB chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Maybe I'm reading the whole thing wrong, but as far as I understand it, Harry didn't learn how to lose. He learned to win. If you want to win, you need to know which battles to fight. Harry has been fighting the wrong battles. Hasn't he read Sun Tzu? To quote some random wisdom "he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory."

I didn't realise that the Pioneer plaque was a horcrux. I was trying to figure out if you had made it so that Quirrell was partially suppressing Voldemort or not. Voldemort never seemed the most rational fellow, nor particularly interested in muggles, I attributed those characteristics to Quirrells influence. While it might all seem completely obvious from your point of view, the reader is constantly formulation new theories to see if they fit.

I'm still trying to figure out if attaching a horcrux to the Pioneer is the most brilliant or most stupid thing Voldemort has ever done. If all his horcuxes except the one on the Pioneer are destroyed, he's not going to find new hosts in space. Assuming that it's going to take a while before the probe encounters intelligent life forms and Voldemort is aware while travelling through space, he's probably going to go mad after a while.
gwern chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
"I subscribe to a Muggle bulletin which keeps me informed of progress on space travel. I didn't hear about Pioneer 10 until they reported its launch. But when I discovered that Pioneer 11 would also be leaving the Solar System forever," Professor Quirrell said, his grin the widest that Harry had yet seen from him, "I snuck into NASA, I did, and I cast a little spell on that lovely golden plaque which will make it last a lot longer than it otherwise would."

I thought it was the probe which was lasting longer than it was supposed to - I mean, gold is kind of known for its stability.

(Thinks: Voldemort horcruxed the Pioneer plaque.)

D'oh! D'oh! I read the part about the evil smile, and didn't even realize that! And me an Evangelion fan too!

5h) Talks about "pretending to lose", which he learned through a horribly humiliating experience in a martial arts monastery which was wiped out by Lord Voldemort shortly thereafter, except for one student who was a friend of his and

Actually, that anecdote changed me from 'Quirrel is Voldemort' to 'Quirrel is a split personality' - why would Voldemort-who-is-Quirrel come *back* to the monastery and demand lessons? (He already had them! If he wanted demon-fighting skillz, he should've just stayed; threatening the master gains him nothing - the basics are *prerequisites* as Quirrel-Voldemort would know of course.) Whereas that makes perfect sense if Voldemort-is-a-sub-personality-acting-out-the-original's-repressed-desires-a-la-_Fight-Club_ - revenge for the humiliation.
BluePard chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I love that this fic has a rational hero who thinks. You don't see that much. The deconstruction of HP is fun, but this is also very fun on its own merits. I love Hermione's cute ability to nerd harder than anyone, and Draco's insta-switch from "okay guy" to "scary creepster". Plus, it's so nice to have a villain who's more cunning than Scooby-doo. I hope you keep writing these, they're very entertaining.
R. Donald James Gauvreau chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I love this Quirrel. Love him so much.

It's going to be sad, to see him go.

I'm almost hoping that Quirrel can manage to bring Harry over (and I wonder how Voldie was reacting to hearing Quirrel talk about how much of an idiot the Dark Lord was).
Guest chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Back in the hogawarts exspress chapter where harry first spoke to draco and planted the seeds of dobut. I could not help but flash back to when Cortana from Halo said:

"It is a great irony how war reveals the true nature of those who fight, and from their earliest days, mankind fought. It swarmed over the earth and there was no end in sight, and amidst the desire to shed blood, man stumbled upon the seeds of his salvation. A great hope. But man found something else as well, the seeds of his destruction. There were many sacrifices, human kind was mired in horrific conflict. Meaningless blood shed, leaving the great earth eternally scarred. But finally he looked up from the blood, the dirt, the dying...to the stars. Man had not giving up on the idea of reaching out, yearning, seeking a new horizon. Seeking a new space to grow, and prosper. For the first time all of human kind was united in a shared vision... A common goal. Man then realized that this once great planet, Earth, was now too small for him. There were too many souls, on so little a world. So man sought other worlds."

As well as the vivid imagery that went with it, and in this chapter I kept thinking about many of the key lines of what Cortana said, and what Qurrell said. I also can't help but think what Oppenheimer said about building the bomb. "And it burned with the raidence of a thousand suns... behold i have become death the destroyer of worlds." and what the test site manager of the trinity bomb said when the bomb dropped. "Now were all sons-a-bitches"

Keep up the excellent work. But I think you should add in a OC. A student probably older. Just as smart, resourceful, and cunning. think of this as a example. If Qurrell is a Mace Windu (council member) and Dumbledore is Yoda (master of the order (if a bit arrogant and wacked out of his mind)), shouldn't padawan Harry have his Obi-wan?

Also watch the move "Revolver" (2005) with Jason Stratham. The rules made are awesome, and so is the ending credits clips. A good type of mindset to put opposite Harry. Especially if it is his OC obi-wan architipe.
daniel14541 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
hehehehehehehe nice.
Dormant Account 24 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Just like your Dumbledore was the best I've seen in fanfiction, I find your Quirrell to also be amazing.
Scarlet - again chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Fantastic! The TV Tropes page links to something else you've written - original Sci-Fi!

I'll certainly be reading THAT sometime this week :). Hopefully there's more of your work lurking about the web somewhere - your style is ridiculously engaging.
NihilCredo chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS MEASURABLE AND FALSIFIABLE please DELETE that last sentence.

The chapter was otherwise good-to-excellent, but the final line is jarringly absurd, unsubtle, and lacking any usefulness to the development of the story. It felt like you let your mildly brain damaged cousing get a sentence in your work. Even the best slip up from time to time; please, remove it.
Adam Shea chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
How in the name of the light is Harry supposed to recover the plaque from Pioneer 11 (it's a Horcrux)?

Also, kudos on devising a Dark Lord that has at least thought of the Evil Overlord List (google it).
MatsumotoXD chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
YESSSSSS! xD The ending made me rolling on the floor laughing! Priceless! The way you depict Voldemort is just soooooo appropriate! The canon one is a pathetic violent brainless bastard who rules with fear and doesn't take advantage of situations which are being shoved into his face. This one is cunning and just purely awesome 3 Fit of evil laughter indeed xD

I love it how you're exploring Harry's and Voldemort's relationship and their characters and I guess once you set the boy on the right track you're going to go more fast forward and get the plot going? I've read some reviews and was surprised because it really hadn't bothered me before and I didn't even notice it, but you really focused wholeheartedly on character development and we have no idea what's going to happen in the future and what is awaiting Harry. I think Rowling herself didn't develop her main character so well. You have my praise. Thank you also for the super fast update! The best gift ever for the day before monday ;) :*
Scarlet chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Oh, come now, surely you don't think your readers are idiots enough to need that last line? Sledgehammer, when you've already indicated beautifully that things are up with him (the puppetry imagery of earlier chapters, for example).

... wait. I've read some of the other reviews. Perhaps you're right :). But pretty, pretty please, don't pander! Obvious sledgehammer points are at odds with the relative subtlety of the rest of the story. If someone can't figure it out themselves, they'll get there *eventually*, and what a jolly little surprise they will have.

God, that spell to replicate space. What a wonderful way to win Harry's emotions. Quirrell knows exactly how to push his buttons :). I recall his rather swift rejection of Harry's suggestion for #1 on the Dark Lord list, avoid complex plans and just off your enemy, heh.

DELIGHTED by such a swift update :).
Ossi chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
The following has been written as a reply to Author's Notes for Ch. 20

I very rarely read fanfic and I was guided to this by a friend around chapter 12. I've liked every chapter so far. Some better than the others. But last 3 chapters have been, while fun to read, confusing. Mainly because is difficult to follow the motives of characters displeyed.

This boils down to your 5(!) point display on your notes of identity of Quirrell. That is, related to canon, what has been changed and what not.

I started reading this fanfic in a delusion that the major change was the rationalist!Harry. Every time I come across something else that feels changed I feel confused. And it seems to me like many others might feel like wise. Ofcourse you have given us anecdotes like "frodo jedi - sauron deathstar" and plenty of what you might call "hints" in the text. But it still seems confusing to meet very diffrent an/protagonist than expected. This is mainly because no reason for the change is given.

So while you "know" the characters and their motives, readers don't. This is pretty normal for fiction but in fanfic readers have expectations of the characters base on canon. And unless we are given reason to doubt those expectations, as has been the case with Harry, we might feel a bit cheated when they are not met.

So to summarize: We have been told the reasons for Harry being diffrent. The whole premise of this fanfic. But we've also encountered two characters that are diffrent and two who seem to be dead. No reason has been given to these diffrences.

Thank you for reading this and also writing the fine story. I've replyed because I wanted to tell my opnion why some people (including me) might feel confused about some aspects of your work.
F.A.R chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Dear Eliezer:

The joy you've brought to us is inexpressible, especially given the limited means humans have for communicating emotion and the current impossibility of verifying whether two humans are, in fact, experiencing identical experiential states. I find this work of yours to be at times far more enjoyable than the original HP series, although that's only possible because of my familiarity with that series and with the genre of fan fiction you expertly toy with. With each chapter, I ponder what I'd say, but I haven't previously had enough criticism to be helpful or any praise that would be unique. I love the story; of course I love the story. We all love it because it's stunningly good. I must ask, however: why did you think the edited final sentence necessary? It's clear from your note that you expect complaints, so here's one. I had been enjoying, prior to Chapter 20, wondering whether it was Quirrell or Harry's scar that was different in your version of the story (inclusive "or", that is). Is Quirrell's role in the next chapter so vile that you had to signal unambiguously that he isn't a spokesman for the author? Rather, let me ask: you say that "the reader is genuinely supposed to know" that rationality!Quirrell is really the big V. What would a reader lose by not knowing that (other than savoring the terrible fix Harry's now in), and is preventing that loss worth completely breaking your prior style and voice for a one-line scene that serves only to say, "This character is the villain and I can't think of a good way to convey that unambiguously"?

Other than that, I've been avidly reading this story, which grabs me in a way that none of the unprinted fan fiction I've read before - and little printed material, at that - has been able to accomplish. Aside from the humor of Chapter 5 & proceeding, one of your accomplishments that I like best is your treatment of Minerva McGonagall. It's hard enough to imagine Rowling's characters as people, just given the awful name choices ("Sirius Black"? I wonder what his gimmick is!), but Rowling really trapped McGonagall in a pigeonhole, and I didn't even realize how flat her character was until you gave us a shot from her P.O.V. For forever changing the way I view her character, without remaking her, I thank you.

I still don't have a handle on this Dumbledore, though. His motivations are harder to infer than in canon, given the increased oddity of his actions, which might just be due to his being far more blatant in trying to get Harry to trust him blindly. I'm looking forward to seeing you explain that. Having Fawkes be a phoenix after all did illustrate his point nicely, though, or so I thought - but not nicely enough to explain his demeanor. I'm just assuming that the changes in his persona involve changes to your setting and aren't just the result of stylistic differences between you and ol' J.K.

I have one other pointed criticism, however, which is that you're sloppy with point of view. It seems as though your narration style is contingently omniscient, able to assume any point of view but only one at a time. In some scenes (e.g., when Harry and McGonagall talk in earlier chapters - in fact, my memory reports that it's usually when McGonagall is on stage, but I might be incorrect), P.O.V. seems to flit about like a bewildered songbird. Do tame it, please, as the motion is giving me a headache. It's useful for a reader (or at least, for this reader) to have a point of view that's consistent for any given scene, but if you must switch P.O.V. in order to convey vital information, please discover a means to end up in that character's perspective for more than a fleeting moment. If nothing else, the sudden shift in viewpoint makes the importance of that character's information obvious. It's nice to have a little help in figuring out what one should note, but sudden P.O.V. shifts can feel patronizing, as if one's being thrown a bone.

Then again, I may be wrong! Perhaps I'm an outlier when it comes to P.O.V. annoyances; I'm certainly not endowed with such free time that I can check the entire backlog of comments for the frequency of criticisms similar to my own. In any case, please do keep writing, as - despite the hiccups like Chapter 20's edited last line - I and many of my friends hang on these chapters like a rat waiting for the next drop of morphine. I don't read much fan fiction, but if you keep this up, it'll be more dear to me than "A Study in Emerald".

Thank you also for Harry's stumbling but endearing justification for not wanting to be the next Dark Lord. I can't stand it when emotion is written as a force somehow opposed to reason, so I appreciate having a rationalist hero who explicitly embraces compassion.

- F.A.R. out
Hayden Elrics chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
is quiri-man really possessed? i really really hope not :(

Helix
Packbat chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Final sentence: *painfully* unsubtle. That "Professor Quirrell" is evil should be clear from when he ordered his students to attack each other in Chapter 16. It _doesn't matter_ if he's Voldemort or not - he's _established_ as a bad guy. This is like Fight Club - it shows how convincing certain kinds of insanity can be.
Kutta chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Great chapter!

Wow, you did quite a couple of modifications to your authors' notes after publishing it. It reminds of myself who edits his forum posts frantically and nervously after disclosure.

If I could ask one thing, it would be to get rid of the newly added last sentence. "Smiling evilly" sounds almost like self-parody; besides I think readers should be able to extract Voldemort's attitude, role and identity, if not at this point (supposing a mentally ungifted reader) but definitely at some point later.
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This chapter was, much as the last one, quite wonderful. Qurinus/Voldemort is a fantastic character, and think that the budding friendship between he and Harry will produce some... interesting results. I expect that either Harry will do something to take the edge of Voldemort, creating a soft spot or something, or vice-versa. Or Voldemort will simply betray Harry and Harry will be driven by revenge to destroy him.
Arkeus chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
oh damn. So good.
burtikus chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Quick 2 chapter update, love that. Actually both chapters were very good - this is by far my favorite story in progress right now. Keep up the great work.
Enelen - again chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I don't like that last sentence either. It was 90% sure in the last chapter that he is Voldemort, but it became absolutely sure now, even without that sentence. Which is adorable, but very OOC.

And could you turn on the forums for this fic? Maybe you'll lose some reviews with that, but I would like to *discuss* things about this, not sneak back and leave another review signed out :)
Garrelt chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
i dont know if i'v said this befor but... YOUR A BLOODY GEINUS!.

i dont get half of the big words in the story but its still so well written that i just want more and i think i'v learned at least 50 diffent words cus of your story i always look em up when i dont get em. :P

maybe you should start writting professinaly your good enough for it trust me.
Code Aster chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I adore the very last sentence. It was beautiful.
Mr Stereo1 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Quirrell's turning into a very complex and multi-layered character... for the first time in the last few months I'm genuinely interested in character development in a fanfic. Keep it up, and I'll look forward to however this arc ends.
MisterTabi chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Huh. So...Voldemort keeps an eye on NASA? Hes interested in Space Travel?

Also, hes pulling the 'my childhood' bits out rather a little heavily isn't he?
uo-chou chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Interesting.
firedraygon chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Fabulous chapter. I really do love the Harry-Quirrell interaction and I hope, hope, HOPE nothing too bad breaks it up. :O Great work with this, please write more soon!

~fd97
someone chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
That last sentence? Remove it.

It doesn't fit AT ALL. There MUST be less disruptive ways of communicating QuirrellVoldemort
Sofia Ottoman chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This was an interesting chapter. Very interesting.
embirsiphonelilathia chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Interesting chapter to say the least.. I can only wait to see his face when his apparently evil manipulations backfire spectacularly towards the end of the year _
Predicted Anomie chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I think what I find most disconcerting about this Harry, and the one biggest reason this Harry is likely to become a Dark Lord isn't his ambition, his need to be noticed/the best or what have you, but his complete willingness to accept misogyny and racism.

Last chapter, Draco tells Harry to push his mudblood rival Hermione into a wall, which Harry refuses, but not because it would be wrong, but because "that is not the way we beat people in Ravenclaw", the implication being that if he WAS in Slytherin, he'd be totally fine with it, he just doesn't want to come off as a savage.

Way back, when Draco and Harry are formulating their friendship, DRACO LITERALLY SUGGESTS THAT THEY GANG-RAPE LUNA LOVEGOOD. Harry is taken aback, surely, but he doesn't react in such a way to make it known that that is unacceptable, or that he is disgusted with the idea, he rather treats it like taking a smoke out by the barn-something you really shouldn't do but it's fine to suggest. And he goes on to make friends with this person!

Draco refers to Hermione as mudblood pretty much whenever she's referenced, and Harry never bats an eye. Harry frequently talks about "converting" Draco but so far he has made no real effort to do so. Harry himself has muggle parents which he could certainly use to convince Draco of how silly pureblood supremacy is, but instead he, like Voldemort, simply does not mention or even bring light to his muggle parentage. He keeps it quiet, and on the surface we're told that he just wants to "form the alliance", but how far is the alliance supposed to go? Harry is already in a position to try to "change" Draco but he seems to have more interest in getting Draco to owe him.

In this chapter, Quirrell talks about how stupid Muggles are, how they will destroy themselves and how wizards are the only people who would or should be saved by space travel(not explicitly of course, but the implication is there) and Harry is still too overcome with awe of this person to object. He accepts everything Quirrell says.

We have seen Harry's need to be the best, to win at all costs and how that can turn him into a Dark Lord but I do not think we have seen Harry called out on the one thing that makes a Dark Lord Dark-the disdain for other human life.
Sarah chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Is Quirrel not possessed then? I'm going to be terribly upset if he is. BECAUSE I REALLY LIKE HIM. OMMMG. This chapter didn't make me think as much as others have.
Entropic Specter chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I'm... This... You... The plaque... Oh, damn, wow...

I apologize, seems what consistency I had left fell of and is now rolling down the street. If you'll excuse me now, I'll go run after it, so I have it back by next chapter (which better come soon).

Wait, a new line appeared at the end. *reads* Isn't that a bit cheap?
Guest chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Great chapter. I love the little bonding session with Quirrel. Amazing idea with that spell though, that was brilliant. Really seemed to tie them together.

I can see how Harry could be easily manipulated into embrassing the dark side. Voldemort is doing a great job at turning him. Allowing him the mentality that it is more important to lose than to fight to the end... Having him practice admitting defeat... Perhaps I'm misinterpreting some of it, but it is wrenching to know that he's Voldemort and doing all of this to Harry, setting him up to fail in a way.

Great writing, as always.
T-TrainOrTurkeyT chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I really like how you've portrayed Quirrel so far. Are you still planning to have him steal the philosopher's stone? That would seem like such a sad way to end Harry's mentorship. Anyway, look forward to the update!
phoebe turner chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
great chapter!
Allen Pitt chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I sure hope Riddle isn't getting too tired by all this exertion. More unicorn's blood should fix him right up, though! Huh, occlumency lessons this early. V. must figure it's worth it to drive a wedge between him & Dumbledore & prevent future ability to check for his own tampering, maybe? only problem here is that this Voldemort is a lot smarter than the one in the books; or rather he is smart enough to be worthy of the reputation he had when the HP books started up...
Gabo 1602 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Teehee. Quirell is awesome. I love how you've made him.
Enelen chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! OMG, flying HC!

:D

The Pioneer... so now he can't be killed the "easy" way, destroying his Horcruxes. What will happen to the poor man, will he get his wish and a one-way ticket after his Horcrux? But Harry will know this the moment he hears about the HCs, because Voldemort bragged...

So now Volderz will teach Harry Occlumency, or did I get confused about that too? This chapter, for all the awesomeness, was slightly hard to read - confusing as hell. Better read it once more.

Exam:

Question 1: Somebody crossed it? I haven't noticed :)

Question 2: Seriously, the problem with Draco is, that he's mean, and we frown upon that, and Voldemort is EVIL, and EVIL is SEXY. You have to ask this? People don't like bullies (at least those they recognize), but evil overlords with convincing master plans and a good helping of charisma can make people do anything - from becoming martyrs for their religion to burning innocent people for the same, or starting the WWII, or electing them to whatever position, or simply cheering for Voldemort (in my case). Draco wants to rape Luna just because, and that is wrong, but Voldemort has plans that need some sacrifices, and if we squint at it the wrong way, they are actually justified. Or at least explained. No need to mention it in reviews, somebody might accuse us of nitpicking.

Question 3: See above. And it would have been an even more valuable lesson for Harry, if Quirrell mentioned that Voldemort was actually him taking his revenge for the humiliating. He was hinting strongly, but I doubt anyone will get the hint until his real persona gets out, and that will be interesting :)

Questions of my own: why is Voldemort sad(?) that Harry doesn't want to become a Dark Lord? I'm starting to doubt his ulterior motives, he revealed rather a lot, maybe too much to Harry. Granted, he gained his trust, but still... what the heck does he want? And Dumbledore haven't said if somebody actually went into Harry's mind or not... And was something in those cookies?
Baughn chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I had pretty much decided Quirrel could *not* be Voldemort. Score one for the law of conservation of characters, then. Now I'm wondering why he's missing a face on the back of the head.
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Another absolutely awesome chapter. The hilarity of a genre-savvy Harry Dumbledore has yet to get old. I truly love how you have actually developed Quirrellmort as character. If I remember correctly the curse on the Defense position was placed by a young Tom Riddle after Dumbledore rejected his application so it is perfectly possible that the curse won't kick him out at the end of the year.

I am actually curious if Riddle put a Horacrux inside the probe in the hopes that at least a part of him would one day step foot on another planet.
Rampant Poultry chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I don't think I've ever seen a story with so much potential for its plot.

I'm looking forward to more. :)
AngelForm chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
That man is made of awesome.

Interesting point on nukes and space travel.

I would have thought a wizard would be able to vastly improve life on a space ship. Could they hijack a shuttle possibly?

Loved the question about what constitutes a dark lord.
ColinLow chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
"I resolved my parental issues to my own satisfaction." - Great reference to the Riddle House tale.

I'm trying to determine if all of Dumbledore's emotions during his confrontation with "Quirrell" are an act on Harry's behalf (they probably are), and what purpose it serves for Dumbledore to alienate Harry and let the boy trust "Quirrell" more.

While both Dumbledore and "Quirrell" have investments in Harry learning Occlumency, to prevent the other from learning anything they might share with Harry, I like that Dumbledore pulls his Legilimency stunt to make *Quirrell* the one to insist on Occlumency lessons for Harry. And of course the compromise between them involves a neutral instructor, even though each tries to appoint an instructor that would help himself.

"Not today... and not tomorrow either, I'm afraid. It takes a lot out of me to cast, though less to keep going, and so I usually prefer to maintain it as long as possible. This time I cast it on impulse. Had I thought, and realized we might be interrupted" - Sneaky, even if it's true (which I doubt, either about the difficulty of casting or about the lack of foreknowledge about Dumbledore's interruption).

Pioneer plaque: Not sure if I'm convinced that Voldemort really Horcruxed it. Works either way, though, since it just takes Harry's belief in it to make the mission of destroying Voldemort seem insurmountable.
William H Stoddard chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Wait a minute. That's *Voldemort* teaching Harry that lesson? I'm sorry, but I haven't read "Sorceror's Stone" since it first came out, and I don't think I've ever read "Chamber of Secrets"; the later books are better, but I actually like your Harry Potter a lot better than Rowling's. I'm finding it a bit confusing sorting out (a) which bits were Quirrell and which Voldemort (especially in the telling of the story of the monastery) and (b) whether Dumbledore *know* that Quirrell and Voldemort are cooccupying that body. If that's what's going on.

I don't know if I would say that you should make all this more obvious, but I do have to say that your notes on Chapter 20 were a really, really large spoiler in terms of what your story says in itself. At least for a reader who is reading it as a self-contained literary work without the assumption that anyone in it is as Rowling portrays them (well, maybe except Hermione).
Kittenn1011 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I. Love. Quirrell. There are no words to describe how much I adore your Quirrell. It's a pity he'll die at the end of first year... I'm actually sad that Voldemort possesed him...

Or is he even possesed? He doesn't seem like it... hmm...

Well, you sure are keeping me on my toes. Wonderful chapter, as always. I can't wait for the next update!

-Kittenn1011
Thenchick chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
dumbles is stupido
wdango chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
so... Does Quiriddlemort actually really likes Harry, or not? :/ anyway, i would really appreciate a review reply, but considering the amount of traffic your inbox gets... Good work as usual, anyway.
fontgoddess chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
What's so incredibly beautiful about this re-write of Harry Potter is that the world is so much more complex and interesting and challenging and *so much more magical* with logic and science as a part of it.

I'm also very interested in Harry's education, not in trivia and facts, but in how to learn and how to really accomplish his goals. This is a version of Harry Potter that I'd rather give to young people — this version where Harry learns how much he does not know, how to see beyond the small world of his own experiences, and how to become not just smarter but *wiser.* This Harry uses thought rather than luck or un-earned skill, and I think that's a much better message for a story.

My one criticism is that you have been slow in developing Harry's friendships with his peers. I hope those are coming, because one wonderful thing in the original HP books was the acknowledgment that no one person is a master of all things, and close ties with good friends is incredibly important for beating Dark Lords, and also essential for not becoming a Dark Lord yourself.

I'm glad that Harry is forming a (hopefully somewhat redemptive, but at the very least much more complex and interesting) relationship with Draco Malfoy. I think a rivalry/friendship with Hermione is completely in-character for rationalist!Harry. I'm a little sad that Ron (and the rest of the Weasleys) are not bigger players in the story so far. Surely their good-hearted humor, ingenuity, and potential for asking good questions could be good for this story. I understand Harry kind of ignoring Ron, especially at the beginning, but this story needs more Weasleys.

Thank you for writing this. Beyond entertainment, it's been such a good way in to the methods of logic and rationality. Other writing on the subject can be so dry and dense that it's hard to read through. Fanfiction may be one of the best carriers for this sort of educational writing because it introduces concepts and methods in a universe and situations that readers are already familiar with. I find your skill with this much better than the construction of Sophie's World, which tried to do the same with fiction and philosophy but couldn't figure out how to avoid large swaths of textbook excerpts breaking up the plot.
me chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This was very good. I really like this version of Quirrell.

*Possible Spoiler*

If Quirrell is Voldemort, than why would he have tortured his fellow martial artists, and ripped the tongue out of his master? I mean that seems to go against everything Quirrell is teaching Harry.
Harriverse chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Awesome! I am constantly impressed with this fic.
Asymmetric chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I think the highlight of this fic was somewhere around the fifth chapter. Otherwise ...

I find it so awkward that Harry's getting Anti-Evil-Overlord lessons in the middle of a class full of eleven year olds when those other eleven year olds aren't having any attention being put to them. This is a school, after all. Even in a Rationalist world (and those theorems and ideas frankly are fascinating), I think that the world would work differently.

But of course, that's my opinion and you obviously don't have to listen to me, a small, humble reviewer.

Good luck,

Tric
Katamabob chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Seriously, what's the deal with Quirrel? He's seeming distinctly un-Voldemort-like, but not like Quirrel as I remember him either. And I would guess that he's being controlled by someone... so, huh? I don't know! Mystifying indeed.

Nice chapter _

Kate
adamjb chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I started reading your story when it was only 14 chapters long, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it ever since. I'm sure it must be difficult as an author when all of your readers go into your story expecting certain things, such as Voldemort being inside of Quirrell's head, but it also must be quite fun messing with those expectations. I don't know what to think now, and I'm just enjoying the ride. Keep up the great work!
graynavarre chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
but I lik Quirrel, I really do. If he is Voldemort, I want him to win and I want him in charge of our space program.
SevereWrath chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I'm glad I read your author's note first, because Quirrell (was) sounding less and less like Voldemort and more and more like an author's mouthpiece.

I was disappointed, since I thought you were too good an author to make that mistake. Happily, you are :-)

Of course, your version of Voldemort is, well, completely different from JKR. Her version was stupid, needlessly and self-destructively cruel (a true sadist), overly powerful but undirected, neutering the effect of his power, etc etc etc. In short, it's horrible. Happily, your version is actually smart, and certainly the kind of dark lord I can see as having attracted a group of powerful young wizards eager to change the world. Like Harry.

It also makes the anecdote in the previous chapter about the martial arts academy rather endearing. Voldemort is evidently running a PR campaign to make his enemies underestimate him, concealing certain strengths of his and emphasizing weaknesses.

Great stuff, as always.
yog chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
So, will Harry be making starships as a school project / in order to defeat Voldemort? They can be used as a peaceful solution of muggle/wizard conflict.

P.S. Superb work.
heartlessgroom chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Great story. After reading fanfiction so much I usually have an idea of the direction that the story is going in and I am pleasantly surprised that I can't figure it out for this story.

Your Quirrel/Voldemort is different from what I expected and I can't seem to figure it out. He actually knows about muggles and isn't ignorant, does he actually mean some of the stuff he says. I can say that he definitly seems to have a valid reason for wanting to destroy muggles now. I can't figure our his agenda, does he want Harry to trust him, I can't figure it out. Any ways great chapter and I hope I can learn more about Harry and Voldemort soon.
WaxWings chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Well, there is more to this AU than Petunia having married someone else. Normally, I prefer AU's that have a single point of divergence, but I'll keep reading.

Quirrel is a mystery. After Chapter 19, I began to suspect that Voldemort, in possession of Quirrel, somehow knew that Harry was a Horucrux. It would then make a lot of sense to train Harry to protect himself. After this chapter however, I am not sure what to think.
Tiky3000 chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
This is becoming quite intriguing. Is Quirrel Voldemort? I am wondering now. And how much does Dumbledore really know? This has so many directions it could go in, it's hard to see which one is more likely.

A hard chapter to take in, but beautiful as always.
Lavanya Six chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Did... did Quirrell/Voldemort just hint at what I think he did? That he made the plaque a horcrux? Because holy crap.
Arysthae chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Great chapters, I loove that Harry learns how to lose...seems intriguing.
pouf chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
I truly do love your Quirrell/Voldemort (whoever he is).

Thank you for the quick update; you made my day!
NicNacs chapter 20 . 5/9/2010
Very good, as usual. I like this version of Quirrell. Keep up the good work!