Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
I don't know Harry Potter canon. I've read maybe three HP crossovers. But I am a general fan of parallel fics and theory heavy training of the hero plots. I found this on a favorite list, and the summary interested me. Several hours and 21 chapters later, I'm out of excuses. "Good job."

There is probably lots of things I don't understand due to my unfamiliarity with canon, but this is so well written that I don't feel their absence. It's just that good. Congratulations.

(There is no sarcasm in this review, despite the lack of exclamation points.)
PA chapter 21 . 5/17
We're winding down to the end of Book 1 now (I think?) I'm looking forward to it!
Concolor44 chapter 21 . 3/30
HAHAHAHA! The Spark Notes version of his first week. Right.
Hippothestrowl chapter 21 . 3/22
Who wrote the Santa letter? Either one of the three mentioned are sneaky enough to include themselves to throw Harry off the scent. But they seem unlikely. And it's not McGonagall's style. His parents wouldn't know this info. Draco? Harry himself, either as an alter-ego or possibly with the aid of an improved Time-turner way in the future?

The prophecy raised an interesting point. I read a fic where it was claimed that prophecies are only uttered to those who are supposed to hear them – and that kind of makes sense. So, if Dumbledore interrupted that prophecy, was it intended for everyone in the Great Hall or did the prophecy know that Dumbledore would quickly interrupt it? Did it know that only the first part was for the Great Hall audience and the rest for Dumbledore exclusively? The Boggle minds.
Village-Mystic chapter 21 . 3/21
I'm enjoying the "mental review" which is more than just a recap.
hisnhers chapter 21 . 3/17
Poor Hermione thinks she's dark because she enjoys winning? Ok, maybe she could be less happy Harry is crushed and just be happy she won, but the dark-side? I don't know about that. Tell her to calm down. lol.

Loved Harry's letter summarizing his first week. Short, sweet barely anything happened. lol! I couldn't believe it had only been one week until you summarized it all. wow. That's an eventful, busy week for anyone.

Ok, so Draco may be turned to the Light side? I'm not sure how I fel about that... give me a moment to ponder this... -humming thinking humming thinking- ok, I'm alright with it. You may proceed. xD! Aren't you so happy now?

Loving this fic!

-his
4everfictional chapter 21 . 3/13
Me too Harry, me too. ;)
Berlin chapter 21 . 3/5
This is just bakskdhxnjdjxnsjzuzhzmskajajffnfnjfjfncchcuc I don't know how to describe this wonderful, curse-ful melting pot of science, magic, and about 30 billion other ingredients, not including the essence of hyperbole.
ZapTheMutant chapter 21 . 2/7
Hermione... is In LOVE with HARRY!? *dies of nosebleed* And also... "...turned up the Quieter and put everything into his pouch and pulled up the covers and died." *dies of laughter after having come back to life from previous death*
TheButterflyComposer chapter 21 . 12/24/2014
Hmm, okay, I'm going with either Sirius or Lupin for the mysterious messenger.
Not sure what the prophecy is about but Dumbledore is getting greyer in my esteem every chapter.
And...I know Hermione is a child and all but...one can only pull the wool over one's eyes for so long. Her realisation point should be very interesting reading.
ApprenticeOfDaedalus chapter 21 . 11/30/2014
Holy shit. That all happened in a single fucking week?! You, are without a doubt, are the most complex/genius/cunning/awesome son-of-a-bitch writer to ever grace Fanfiction.
N. E. Person chapter 21 . 11/10/2014
I love Fred and George. They need a hug or ten. :D
The letter is nice, too.
DigitalCore chapter 21 . 11/7/2014
I don't even have words for this. You've taken Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, a sports prodigy who was usually clueless when it came to anything intellectual, and turned him into a scientist with maybe just the slightest hint of megalomania, anger management issues, and what I can only describe as a book fetish.

And I love you for it.
An-chan95 chapter 21 . 9/17/2014
He summarized his week for his parents quite well. Why would some measly little detail count? XD
Midan no Hatake chapter 21 . 9/3/2014
DO. NOT. LAUGH.

DO NOT LAUGH ALOUD.

DO NOT LAUGH ALOUD SO THAT WORKMATES THINK YOU'RE CRAZY.
eriz chapter 21 . 8/27/2014
:D
Talkingbirdguy chapter 21 . 8/11/2014
I think that much of a letter is bound to give your father a heart attack, Harry. Better not go too overboard ;D. Nice chapter.
thepkrmgc chapter 21 . 8/2/2014
Hermionies POV is one of the funniest yet, but the cloak and dagger science lessions of the baysean conspiracy is just too funny!
Orangeguise chapter 21 . 7/26/2014
This story confuddles my mind. Enough said. I can't...sleep...ever...curse...you...
T-man626 chapter 21 . 6/24/2014
That has to be one of the best understated-things-because-I-didn't-want-you-to-worry letters ever!
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 21 . 5/17/2014
Great letter home.
gaffel chapter 21 . 5/5/2014
I really don't get the birthday/cake thing... could anyone explain?

Absolutely love this story by the way :)
ThoughtsFullOfStars chapter 21 . 4/16/2014
I'm so glad I looked this up on FF! It was posted on HogwartsIsHere dot com up to chapter 20 and I thought it ended there. So glad it's not over
Wolf V Bunny chapter 21 . 3/2/2014
Brilliant! I especially like the letter at the end.
Talonis Wolf chapter 21 . 1/27/2014
Well, well. Only 21 chapters and already a running gag! (The cake) I am impressed- it usually takes /far/ longer...

Hermoine is... delusionally evil is the best way to put it. She's tricking Harry into doing something by taking advantage of the situation, and ENJOYING IT.

Once again, Nice Touch.

Plus the letter. Hehehe... I wonder if Petunia knows about those Howlers? Because she will obviously read in between the lines.

Right?
Grizzmon chapter 21 . 1/13/2014
Yes Harry, better not tell them everything, they are parents after all.
Guest chapter 21 . 1/3/2014
You scored 1410 on the SAT at age 11?!
Naja chapter 21 . 12/8/2013
Not enough interesting things had happened to him over the last week.
WHAT?!
This fic is so good, and I am going to cry because it is so good and I cannot write anything close to this. I love it so much at the moment, and it is making me want to do college work, and also making me sad that I am not doing science, though I am terrible at it. Seriously, what is this fic doing to me?!
Niko chapter 21 . 12/7/2013
I'm sorry, I wasn't able to finish the first quarter without this comment. It's kinda important though, which should be emphasized by the word "kinda". Once it's revealed, in the text, the shadowy figure is HP, the "shadowy figure" should stop being referred to as such. From that point, it can be referred to as HP in all the same ways, just not as, plainly, boringly, monotonously, "the shadowy figure". "The darkly cloaked Harry", "Harry's becowled form", etc. I hope that's not too critical. Thanks for the story! I'm loving your reinterpretation.
NewWings chapter 21 . 12/4/2013
He Is Already Here...

Was that intentional or unintentional?
HybridsRose chapter 21 . 11/16/2013
N'aww, the end letter was so precious and sweet :))
I really like Petunia in this, and Harry's interaction with her just intensifies one of the traits of Petunia that I like. I've always felt that although Petunia was mean to Harry, she did deserve a bit more because it seemed Lily had everything better then Petunia in the original series, and I'm glad she was able to get over that in this story.

By the way, have you heard or seen The Big Bang Theory? It's a fandom that I think you would like, seeing as there's lots of humor and science in that.
Guest chapter 21 . 9/9/2013
For some reason, you're making Hermione seem BAD. I mean where did the gentle, charming persona go?
Kitsune no takai chapter 21 . 9/1/2013
21 chapters in and I have been forced to the conclusion that I can find neither method nor rationality to most of what Harry does. I am surprisingly okay with that. I find this entire story line unique and hilarious. I haven't stopped laughing since I started and plan to continue reading for as long as this fic goes on.
Wow this sux chapter 21 . 8/16/2013
Your story started off so good and then you make harry into a pussy just like everyone else. Ask yourself how a pussy is supposed to be a dark lord and his army. Not only that you made him a squib. Wtf is this? Next time just put him in hufflepuffs and have him suck dracos dick.
Lunacom chapter 21 . 8/15/2013
Being a scientist and being and unspeakable shouldn't be mutually exclusive, should it?
Ruairi J.L chapter 21 . 8/14/2013
For someone with so much intelligence, Harry really isn't very smart in a social manner. I place the blame for that solely with his 'father'.
Anon chapter 21 . 7/3/2013
Ok, I'm going to try and sleep now because I've got to socialize tomorrow morning which requires a great deal of energy, but this is so much fun to read, and I love it, and it is definitely worth staying up past 3 AM, especially since I would have done that anyways without enjoying myself nearly as much.
Alissie chapter 21 . 6/30/2013
5:39pm (I slept from 8am-4pm) and I'm back!
"Thursday, let's not even think about Thursday..." - LOVE IT
I'm happy to be reading during "normal" hours so I can laugh rather loudly and not wake the house up. :)
dreamstar potter chapter 21 . 6/29/2013
Harry and Draco forming the doesn't-create-conspiracy illuminati? Heheh sweet.
Joshua chapter 21 . 6/1/2013
Hah! You Never cease to amaze me. :)
Greatazuredragon chapter 21 . 4/25/2013
woahaha... cough,,, this story is great! Sheer insanity but Great! Woahahaha...
RussianDestruction chapter 21 . 4/23/2013
I love his letter. He's like, ALL THIS STUFF HAPPENED! But hey mom and dad, hope you're doin' goooooooood. :P
sww11685 chapter 21 . 4/18/2013
What a busy first week of school. Loved the chapter
hervissa chapter 21 . 3/1/2013
Hermione, Hermione. Romaaaaaance... ;)
But yes! She reads fassssster! :D Mwhaahahaha XD Take this, Potter :D
And poor Harry had a date...well, it's experience, isn't it? :)
...
Science Eaters - what a wonderful name, Draco. Green light, shadows and Harry Potter - and SE is all you can think out? Ts ts... ;)
I howled with laughter when Trelawney started Seeing, Dumbes shot out faster than Usain Bolt and got her out.
I wonder if he is running on daily basis, just to be prepared in a case of emergency like that... :D
...
The letter was just awesome xD I have no other words :D

hervissa :)
Nick Martin chapter 21 . 2/3/2013
Before I started reading this, I was halfway through the third book of a Song of Ice and Fire. Now I can't even think about reading anything other than this. Thank you.
petalene chapter 21 . 1/27/2013
This story is so twisty. I like how Harry's perception of the world keeps shifting. I'm going to have to reread this when I get to the end to make sure I don't miss anything.
Sardonic Irony chapter 21 . 1/10/2013
I love it, it's hilarious. Really, I cannot possibly say more because by the time I get to chapter 87 or whatever it is, I will have run out of all alternatives of 'amazing', which is really quite purturbing.
Cloudedguardian chapter 21 . 1/7/2013
Hermione's "Am i going bad? No, I'm falling in love! That's TOTALLY it! Yay!"
Made me laugh so hard, that I immediatetly declared my love for you after it.
BiblioMatsuri chapter 21 . 1/3/2013
Second Law: Entropy - wait, what? What charm does that?

Bayesian Conspiracy fits perfectly. Also, I dislike math enough that trying to understand the laws of probability is a little like eating homemade pudding with a layer of corn on top. First I have to eat the corn (think through the problems) because the pudding part (understanding what the problem means) is better, but then the pudding is overly sweet anyway (and here the metaphor breaks down). This probably means that I should eat less sugar so I won't be so hyper and have the attention span of a five-year-old.

...Wait, what? Great, I confused myself.
Susan M. M chapter 21 . 12/20/2012
Hermione worrying about whether she's Good or Bad reminds me of Captain Hook wondering if it's Bad Form to think about whether something is Good Form or Bad Form.
StrangeoneXD chapter 21 . 12/18/2012
...Such a short letter compared to what happen? NO HEART WARMING FEELINGS?!
Mr Norrell chapter 21 . 12/16/2012
That's a hell of a week.
FTFCHRIS chapter 21 . 12/12/2012
Scared to keep reading. I heard the story is still on the First Year at chapter's 70.

Fun read but wow. I could understand if you had extremely short chapters but your chapters are decent length. So still in First Year after so many is just mind boggling.
989fox989 chapter 21 . 11/14/2012
This really is an amazing story. It successfully weaves together both excellent humor and intelligent thoughts into one witty narrative. My only main criticism is that there are moments were the story references previous events that never happened. The implication I get from this is that the events are ones that did happen but were just never described for various reasons. This has sometimes confused me when I read these parts and try to remember what point in the story the characters are talking about and I come up blank which puts me out of the flow. Besides this though, it really is well written and feels like it should definitely be published if not for copyright laws.
1000Nachts chapter 21 . 11/7/2012
So Harry's mysterious benefactor is Santa Claus? I have to call the bullshit on that one. My bet is that it's Serius, or however you spell his name. Not that there's been a mentioned excape...stranger things have been accomplished...and at the snap of a set of fingers too.
W.Kathy chapter 21 . 10/31/2012
All right, it's official...I really truly do hate Hermione Granger. She may be booksmart but she is little else. She reminds me of every single flaw and negative trait that a female preteen has, and more. I'm still going to continue reading, but hopefully this will not turn out to be too focused on the Harry/Hermione romance. Please.
DarkestTruth chapter 21 . 10/8/2012
Harry's dad would blow a fuse at the letter.
"HE'S VIOLATING THE WHAT NOW!?"
Fuhuhu, I always knew Santa was evil.
Victoria chapter 21 . 9/29/2012
Hello,

My younger brother is very very clever as well as dyslexic. I read to him most days though lately we've making up our own stories using the HP universe as our starting point. I've always stayed clear of fanfiction (I was afraid I'd like it) but as I seemed to be indulging in a form of it regardless- I decided to try and find a good HP mystery. Both my brother and I love this story! I hope you will or have already written original fiction. It would be wonderful to know that you are being properly recognized for your work.

So far our guesses as to who is sending Harry the letters is:
1. Sirius
1. Remus
1. Peter
2. Neville

Thank you!
Victoria and Adam
voodooqueen126 chapter 21 . 8/1/2012
This chapter was terribly funny.
So true about all the girls cheering when Harry lost. I find myself wanting to strangle your character...
Satirica chapter 21 . 7/16/2012
It's kind of relieving to have Harry's stay at Hogwarts reduced to a paragraph- simplicity is sometimes helpful. Harry's ability to reduce a week of chaos into two sentences is admirable, quite like the ability to stretch a week out over twenty-one chapters. Time management is always good.
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 21 . 6/29/2012
Not sure how your British changing is going, but the title of this chapter should be Rationalisation, I believe! AMAZING CHAPTER AS ALWAYS!
jch5675 chapter 21 . 5/31/2012
This is an excellent, creative, and hilarious take on the Rowling's world. As both a devout HP fan and as someone who recently started a PhD in neuroscience, I appreciate this story on many levels. Thanks for providing such an enjoyable method to procrastinate from working on my qualifying exams!
tricorvus chapter 21 . 5/15/2012
I swear to Merlin, 98% of this is over my head, but Merlin, I love Harry as you've written him! :D
Black Fire Kitty logged out chapter 21 . 5/6/2012
This fanfic is so weird! I read up to the end of this chapter and got sick of it.

But I compliment you on your imagination.
jennifer chapter 21 . 5/5/2012
Not really a review, I'd just like to point out, as I've figured out the author of this is probably American, that in England we don't call gym class "gym class" we call it "P.E.", which stands for Physical Education, and we don't call recess "recess" we call it "break", I know it's incredibly pedantic of me to point these little things out but it makes it hard to imagine the characters and the setting as genuinely British and not American, when the terminology used is American and not British. (:
GSYH chapter 21 . 5/1/2012
If Lucious is Darth Vader, than Draco is whiny whiny Luke Skywalker.

...and OMG, Luna is his long lost twin sister? Or Hermione? Take that, shippers!
Mr H. Potter chapter 21 . 4/27/2012
"With a resigned feeling that the universe would come and get him anyway, Harry continued slicing at the pancake with his fork and knife. He couldn't muster the energy. That was the sad truth. Harry knew now how people felt when they were tired of running, tired of trying to escape fate, and they just fell to the ground and let the horrifically befanged and tentacled demons of the darkest abyss drag them off to their unspeakable destiny."

Yay, I found the tentacle rape. Finally, this fic is worth reading.
Mr H. Potter chapter 21 . 3/26/2012
"...gotten acquainted with a boy raised by Darth Vader, become friends with the three most infamous pranksters in Hogwarts, met Hermione, then there'd been the Incident with the Sorting Hat... Monday he'd been given a time machine to treat his sleep disorder, gotten a legendary invisibility cloak from an unknown benefactor, rescued seven Hufflepuffs by staring down five scary older boys one of whom had threatened to break his finger, realized that he possessed a mysterious dark side, learned to cast Frigideiro in Charms class, and gotten started on his rivalry with Hermione... Tuesday had introduced Astronomy taught by Professor Aurora Sinistra who was nice, and History of Magic taught by a ghost who ought to be exorcised and replaced with a tape recorder... Wednesday, he'd been pronounced the Most Dangerous Student in the Classroom... Thursday, let's not even think about Thursday... Friday, the Incident in Potions Class, followed by his blackmailing the Headmaster, followed by the Defense Professor having him beaten up in class, followed by the Defense Professor turning out to be the most awesome human being who still walked the face of the Earth... Saturday he'd lost a bet and gone on his first date and started redeeming Draco... and then this morning Professor Trelawney's unheard prophecy might or might not indicate that an immortal Dark Lord was about to attack Hogwarts.

Harry mentally organized his material, and started writing.

Dear Mum and Dad:

Hogwarts is lots of fun. I learned how to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics in Charms class, and I met a girl named Hermione Granger who reads faster than I do.

I'd better leave it at that.

Your loving son,

Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres."

So anti-climactic.
Mavarax chapter 21 . 3/26/2012
"Mum and Dad had told Harry in no uncertain terms that while they understood his enthusiasm for leaving home and getting away from his parents, he was to write them every week without fail, just so that they knew he was alive, unharmed, and not in prison."

Responsible parenting.
not my real name chapter 21 . 3/20/2012
¿Is it posible?

"My, you do get yourself into trouble and quickly. James himself was no match for you."

¿Sirius?
Ella Not Lotte chapter 21 . 3/1/2012
Oh my god.

Santa Claus is SIRIUS, isn't he?

"I'm not serious," from the part in Azkaban just clicked for me while I was reading the note attached to the book and ohmygod, if it is Sirius, then I will be overjoyed. A version of Sirius that's smart enough to get Peter Pettigrew into Azkaban in his place would be completely awesome.

I suppose that the one question in that case would be how he's getting his information. Hmm... Off to search for clues, I suppose.

And now I'm really in suspense for the next chapter!

Cheers,

-Ella
PuppyBeBad chapter 21 . 2/25/2012
I freaking love this story. All your characters are just perfect and fun to read.
The Blind One chapter 21 . 2/24/2012
Your grasp of Hermione's internal monologue absolutely cracks me up! This is so *perfectly* how canon!Hermione would react to someone better academically.

Ah yes, the good old Belligerent Sexual Tension theory. Or waaay-pre-Sexual Tension, rather. Details, details.

"Smushed [...] like a sad little bug." That may not even have been intentional, but it does remind me of a certain incident later on.

Draco's "wise precaution" (and likewise Harry's description of the "/date/" nearly made *me* pass out laughing! Okay, not quite, but you get the picture. Your deadpan phrasing is a thing of beauty.

"Amycus Carrow that one time just before Father told him to stop it, he wasn't the Dark Lord." Also hilarious.

Mmm, science. I could quite happily read a whole story of the Bayesian Conspiracy's experiments on magic, if there weren't actual plot-related things to get to.

So, Voldemort was illogical enough to use a visible Dark Mark at the time of the first war, then. But logical enough to Horcrux... /that thing/ in '73. I spy an inconsistency that's probably perfectly consistent with the beautiful explanation you've got in your head.

Santa Claus again. I still maintain that it's Quirrell, seeing as this is consistent with his anti-Dumbledore program, or else someone as yet unseen; a Marauder, for example. (Said anti-Dumbledore program is reaaally slick, by the way, since I don't think I commented last chapter.)

THE VERY what? Aaaaargh!

That's a... condensed letter, that is.
sock-feet-and-stirring-sand chapter 21 . 2/21/2012
Pfffft. Harry seems to be leaving some things out of his letter, huh?
Aurora chapter 21 . 2/6/2012
What a fabulously intriguing and entertaining story this has been so far. I was warned by the person who recommended it that it wasn't finished, and I was preparing to be very disappointed (one of my favorite HP fanfictions "ended" with the writer essentially abandoning it), but, thankfully, there are a lot of chapters left for me to read and you've given some very encouraging updates of your progress. YAY!
Hedgehog chapter 21 . 2/6/2012
My, it's been a busy week. Poor Harry!

Another prophecy. Interesting...

In other news, I've no idea who might have sent the note but they obviously don't know everything seeing how Dumbledore already knows about the cloak, nor do they know that Quirrell is already going to teach Harry Occumency. (Or is he? I'm not entirely sure what was decided at the end of that debate.) I really don't like Hermione, and I don't trust Quirrell. (If he'd been my teacher, I'd have developed an irrational hate against him.) I can't decide whether to applaud Draco or to strangle him.
MK chapter 21 . 1/20/2012
rereading this for the third or fourth time, and remembering that EVERYONE has been given an intelligence upgrade, I begin to think that Santa Claus must be Peter Pettigrew if his plan was less silly. Who else could know what he knows yet have a plausible reason to distrust Dumbledore? Eagerly awaiting more updates to see if I'm right!
Alexeon chapter 21 . 12/28/2011
I found out about this fan fic through 4chan (on a thread where we had to choose whether to go to Hogwarts, become a Jedi, or become a Pokemon trainer and I chose Hogwarts in order to use the scientific method to "science-fy" magic and become a god, upon which some anon suggested this very story) around 11:30 PM... its 10:25 AM and I have NOT SLEPT. Ive reached chapter 21 so far and I will continue, and I sure hope the story covers all 7 years and beyond (such as post-god H.P. taking over the universe. Im rooting for you, Harry!)
SeamusTheDog chapter 21 . 10/10/2011
"And no masks for now, not when it's just you and I"

it's "you and me". The rule for object/subject does not change when you add another person to the mix. Most people get corrected so much as children for placing the object form of "I" (me) where the subject form should go, that they end up thinking that when there is another involved, "me" is never appropriate. Not so.

Many people make that mistake, but Harry, child prodigy, would not.

Just a little tip.

There are a few other small grammatical errors in the preceding chapters, but nothing that wouldn't often slip by an editor anyway. I just had to say something about this one, though.

Great story! I'm a big fan of the movies, but have a surprise for you. Your book has the distinction of being the first Harry Potter book I have ever read, and somehow I feel as though when I read the Canon, I'm going to miss Evil Harry.
AR chapter 21 . 9/21/2011
...I just noticed that this was all ONE week.

I am very tired..

But on a lighter note: Hermione...I applaud you. Welcome to the Dark Side.
Mz Luna Potter chapter 21 . 9/11/2011
I don't get it, why is Evans in Harry's name?
Reader123456789 chapter 21 . 9/4/2011
Funny Ending.
LordThyGod chapter 21 . 9/4/2011
Kami, this is an absolutely mind bending story. I consider myself to be of above average intelegence (apart from my dreadful spelling abilities) but I find myself vexed at least once a chapter, often having to reread sections to decipher them. This is not due to poor writing but the shear amount of thinking that it provokes me into doing and my need to understand the pricipals being discussed. I thank you for reigniting the deep thinking part of my brain that I've let lie dormant for far too long.
madeyemarauder chapter 21 . 8/30/2011
That note home really sums it up, doesn't it?
anonymous chapter 21 . 8/21/2011
That was one long week...

I laughed so hard when Hermione went ona date with Harry! What are you? A Harry/Hermine shipper? If you are, than your writing of the both of them in Hermione's perspective ws subtle. Real subtle.
lieselotte chapter 21 . 8/14/2011
I never managed to get past this chapter. This kind of story just doesn't work for me. I laughed once (at the Khan reference) and maybe smiled twice.

Now it's about two months since I stopped reading and, to be honest, the only thing I remember about the story is the Khan thing.
AstrologicalStars chapter 21 . 8/2/2011
This fanfic is batty as hell..
Zoanzon chapter 21 . 7/28/2011
Mr. Eliezer Yudkowsky (I googled Bayesian Conspiracy and ended up at your Wikipedia page), you are a genius. I am entering high-school in less then a week, and you have helped make school look fun again, if not only so i can hopefully learn about what you talk about in your story. Good Luck with this story.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 21 . 7/11/2011
I strongly think that note was from Sirius (although not sure how that would work; I thought maybe he was Quirrel in polyjuice or something, but that doesn't make sense with the message either). Hope it's him anyway! Also kind of weird how Harry is slowly creating his own secret group like the DE, although at least it isn't evil (yet).
Mezzavia chapter 21 . 6/8/2011
ROFL. A romance! The moment called for Comed-Tea. I'm pretty sure I would've spluttered it all over my desk lol. Hermione is so adorable! XD

I love the way Harry keeps calling people "his"! First Neville, now Hermione.. It just makes me laugh.

"There will be no second date!" He took that so seriously XD. He's supposed to sound SCARY, but it's simply hilarious. It reminds me of my brother when he was 11 years old.

..Actually his whole conversation with Draco was hilarious. It reminded me of Matrix - Blue pill, red pill. It just had that kind athmosphere about it XD. And FINALLY someone has mentioned genetics. Purebloods /Mudbloods - noone has ever THOUGHT about testing their blood in JK Rowling's world, which is DUMB, and highly unlikely - actually - borderline impossible! I could't quite believe it. I'm very curious about those experiments, wondering what Harry and Draco are going to discover 83.

Mmm the mystery of the notes.. This time it really does NOT sounds like Dumbledore (though it STILL could be his scheme.. a very twisted scheme? :/) It sounds a bit like Quirrel. Trying to make Harry distrust the headmaster, maybe..argh! But then Harry says "Like if they both agreed on something, then..." And both Dumbledore and Santa Claus did say not to trust Quirrel..I'm probably reading too much into it.. I REALLY want to know! x)

Too bad he didn't really tell his parents what happened (well, part of it). Noone ever does.. it could've been so much fun. :x
Clownwithachainsaw chapter 21 . 6/6/2011
Lovely. I like how Hermione is progressing. She really does seem to be a perfect match for Harry.
chaSing b0b chapter 21 . 6/4/2011
Hey :) I wouldnt have called this chapter rationalisation. Its quite confusing, but really very interesting.
TsukiNoBara chapter 21 . 5/10/2011
"I learned how to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics in Charms class"

Yeah, I just wanted to tell you that I loved that line.
Sakouya chapter 21 . 4/2/2011
I was expecting 'The Aristocrats!'
vega.r.black chapter 21 . 3/29/2011
Thank you.

You have taught me how to learn.

-I now know how to teach myself.

You have taught me how to lose.

-I did not recognise that I did not know how to lose.

Above all else: You have taught me how how to ask the questions which my current being is unable to ask.

-I am unable to go to the moon.

I believe however that I am not far from realising how I need to change. One day soon, I'll be able to ask.

Thank you.

vrb
sithwalrus chapter 21 . 3/5/2011
I am not sure if you have seen Madoka Magicka, but as I was rereading MOR the idea struck me that writing a meta fanfiction would be fun. Writing a meta fanfiction crossover of a tragedy where anyone can die and magic comes at a horrible price and MOR is evil. And, I keep on seeing similarities between Kyubey and Quirrelmort... thus Kyubeymort has been born. And with any luck I will have a few chapters on eventually and will send them to you if they are not total garbage (no promises...)

Anyway, look what you have made me do. please update before the insanity gets even worse!
ARMH chapter 21 . 2/21/2011
God, that was one long week.
braindoll chapter 21 . 2/12/2011
I know you don't want frivolous reviews, but I'm annoyed at the people who are pressuring you for updates. So in order to help push those reviews off the front page, I picked a quantumly random unreviewed chapter, re-read it, and here's my review. For those who posted the nagging reviews: if you hadn't done that, I could have found better things to do with my time, so please stop.

Ch. 21 has Granger winning the bet and getting the date as a forfeit; the initial planning meaning of the Bayesian Conspiracy; Santa Claus's second letter, warning of legilimency; the interrupted prophecy; and the chapter closes with Harry's letter-home-after-the-first-week.

-It's interesting to go back and read these earlier chapters now. In the later chapters, the focus is so much on thinking five moves ahead, that the spontenaiety of these earlier chapters can seem naive. For instance, when Draco realizes that talking about the Dark Mark might be a bad idea and wants to change the subject, he says in italics "Forget I said anything" - and Harry actually does. It's hard to find the right balance here; if you were writing about a game of go, would you want to include dramatic captures, or show a more realistic game where the players see the drama coming and side-step it?

-I did notice that the verb tenses go funny right after the prophecy:

"HE IS COMING," said a huge hollow voice that cut through all conversation like a sword of ice [would such a sword really cut well? I suppose it would work for diaphenous things like conversations, and it would be dramatic]. "THE ONE WHO WILL TEAR APART THE VERY -"

Dumbledore had leapt out of his throne and run straight over the Head Table and seized hold of the woman speaking those awful words, Fawkes had appeared in a flash, and all three of them vanished in a crack of fire.

There was a shocked pause...

If you are trying to use those tenses to show that Dumbledore was done acting before anyone else even realized what was happening, then you should clue us into that. "Before anyone else could react, Dumbledore had..."

-Looking at my two notes above reminds me that I like the general contrast in this chapter between Kids Being Dramatic (Hermione, Harry, Draco) and the much more matter-of-fact real-world drama (Santa Claus, Dumbledore). I especially like that the chapter closes with Harry being a grown-up in keeping the drama from his parents; it's a believable and sympathetic way of bringing together the two aspects of the chapter.
Audley chapter 21 . 1/7/2011
I'm passing this along to everyone I know who needs to know. I'm saying that now because there's still 40 odd chapters to get through and this has quite enough reviews already, holy crap.
Tangshou chapter 21 . 1/4/2011
Nice. Nothing much to say but here's your review.
w chapter 21 . 12/18/2010
Good:

Hermione's reasoning. Planning fallacy.

Draco nodded solemnly. Before arriving he had taken the wise precaution of learning every available detail of Harry's date, so that he could get all of his hysterical laughing done before their appointed meeting time, and would not commit a faux pas by giggling continuously until he lost consciousness.

Plus Draco did kind of want to rule the world.

"Then I'll figure out how to make the experimental test say the right answer!"

The letter.
Gelacacine chapter 21 . 12/13/2010
Um, these kids are eleven. Romance, really?

And people not knowing about the dark mark sounds like a really neat idea, although I would have guessed Snape told Dumbledore...

Didn't harry promise not to leave his parents out of the loop of his life?
Suzume chapter 21 . 12/8/2010
This story is amazing! Please continue writing, and a Happy Christmas to you!
Cringo chapter 21 . 11/26/2010
Finally...some Hermione. :) I have come to the conclusion that you and my husband would get along awesomely...because I do believe you and he are genius' in your own unique ways. :) I still find myself confused (doesn't take much) but yet I continue reading avidly.
Kay chapter 21 . 11/15/2010
While not an Ayn Rand fan myself (who, sanely, would admit that they are?), I do think that ANY thoughts or discussion about morality will always appeal to a person's sense of superiority. Ayn Rand doesn't make a show of hiding it, like many so-called moralists do (which I find to be strangely refreshing). I'm really enjoying this so far, and I look forward to reading more!
Liam Jeffries chapter 21 . 11/13/2010
Reading this for the past few days, and it is brilliant.

The characterisation is excellent, and the story is overall very well told.

I don't know if it is just me, but I think that a few of the events in the story could be implemented better and/or developed further (the game with no rules a few chapters back is a prime example).

My only other issue is very minor, and that is grammar. All be it there have only been a few minor errors, but they probably should have been corrected.

Thank you so much for this. I will be sure to share it with as many people as possible!
Indigo Ziona chapter 21 . 10/21/2010
Hermione has a crush on Harry... You found the alternative universe where this works. I congratulate you heartily :)

The Science Eaters... I found it rather amusing how much the uniform echoed the Death Eaters. Snake eating a moon? hehe.

Prophecy! Ah, Trelawney, what'd we do without you...

The letter... Thanks for the recap :) also love the letter he actually sent compared to what's happened so far.
Harhar chapter 21 . 10/12/2010
"and died."

LOL. That was quick.
Kutta chapter 21 . 10/9/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 21 . 10/7/2010
Excellent chapter. Loved the interaction between Hermione and Harry. The Harry and Draco scene was very well written. Great point about the mark.
Nakedkali chapter 21 . 10/5/2010
Hooray, Hermione is not a doormat. ALthough perhps she should pay attention to the redemption of Harry Potter, after realizing her judgement on him is blurred by romance. Manga and anime are all about the selfish consequences of Love.
Eli Courtwright chapter 21 . 10/2/2010
Hermoine's thought process about how she and Harry must be getting into a Romance makes me smile every time I think about it. Beyond that, I loved the description of the difference between rationality and rationalization; your metaphor about the sheet of paper with the conclusion written at the bottom has definitely stuck with me.
Rebel Goddess chapter 21 . 9/21/2010
I must admit Hermione's punishment of Harry was hilarious. I also adored that Draco had to commit to memory all details of their date so that he wouldn't giggle himself unconscious in front of Harry. I also loved the birthday cake scene. Draco blackmailing Harry in the future will be very funny.
krepta chapter 21 . 7/27/2010
Loved this (and every) chapter. Check out my fanart:

art/A-date-scion-of-Malfoy-172861972
Mephos chapter 21 . 7/18/2010
this is amusing so far.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 21 . 6/30/2010
You know, for some reason I'm always suspicious of people who use the term "put her/him in her/his place." Same with people who use the word "uppity" in serious. I wonder why.
HellsMaji chapter 21 . 6/30/2010
This Hermione's really annoying.. I certainly wouldn't let someone make me do something I didn't want to, especially if it was to a bet that had no terms. Hope Harry puts her in her place soon.
James Birdsong chapter 21 . 6/24/2010
Excellent *innocent smile*
writer1066 chapter 21 . 6/16/2010
yo, i take it you are trying to make the story more british because you use the word mum, woop go you.

In britain I believe msot people call gym class PE or physical education. but most people call it PE.

Recess is termed break, morning break afternoon break, or lunch time/lunch break. (this was in previous chapter).
dogbertcarroll chapter 21 . 6/13/2010
LOL!

Loved the ending.
stefan bertram chapter 21 . 6/5/2010
Well that was rather good
Mihra-Attar chapter 21 . 6/5/2010
I'm not entirely certain what to say. I've had to put this down at least ten times and walk away just to make sure I didn't accidentally crack a rib from laughing too hard. This is hilarious. I look forward to seeing what happens next. I'm also completely terrified of what your brain can come up with. Keep up the good work!
chinoiserie chapter 21 . 6/5/2010
I have seen this fic many times in someone elses favoritlist but i never red it because when i red what if harry was raised by sientist... it sonded rather dull for a story but i' m exrtemely happy that i red this. This fic is really fun to read and has raised many questions i have wondered myself. One of them were the economy issue that harry tried to solve in one early chapter.

I however think that the problem is probappy solved if is impossibly to change galleons to muggle money and if they have been charmed that way you can't melt it. I will write a longer review some another time, please write as much about quirrelmort as possible and update soon.
ShotgunRockets chapter 21 . 6/5/2010
This story is good and you should feel good.
Arwen Amorita chapter 21 . 6/4/2010
I just wanted you to know that this story is awesome, although I'm sure you already know that.

I hope you'll be posting the next chapter soon. _
sadfulness chapter 21 . 6/4/2010
i luuuuuuuuuuuv you! please update soon, it's been almost three weeks!
Memories-of-the-Shadows chapter 21 . 6/3/2010
I think I saw the tentacle rape. Oddly enough, the fact that it was there did not faze me at all. Perhaps I read too much fanfiction.
Mulatdood chapter 21 . 6/3/2010
This fic is great had a good time reading it. Is this the end?
Phantom 4 Life chapter 21 . 6/2/2010
. . .I'm at a loss as to how I feel about this story. Your writing is brilliant and your plot is captivating but I felt dread grip my stomach each time I read another chapter. I must give this story more time.

-P4L
Shadow65 chapter 21 . 6/2/2010
this is a great story keep it up
PrincessLillia chapter 21 . 6/2/2010
I love your story! I don't know what else to say...
Guest chapter 21 . 6/1/2010
Please update soon! I don't think I can hold out much longer.
iseenodifference chapter 21 . 6/1/2010
Hot DAMN! This is a very good story! funny, exciting, interesting. I just gotta read MORE Please update soon!
oooooooooooooooooooooo chapter 21 . 6/1/2010
UPDATE god damn it!
crazybibliophile chapter 21 . 6/1/2010
there are no words to describe how amazing this is.

i salute you.
Kitty Smith chapter 21 . 5/31/2010
The letter was hilarious, Draco's pride at the "grown up" conversation was adorable, and Hermione's rationalization was no less than horrifyingly frightening! o.0 I was so scared when she started throwing around the capitalized words I almost didn't finish the chapter! Anway, as usual, it's a work of art (funny art, too :) ) and I hope you update as soon as is convenient!
Sandy Popstar Pickeltry chapter 21 . 5/31/2010
Update, Lazyface! What a way to disrespect your gal!
Always-Underrated chapter 21 . 5/31/2010
Despite almost choking to death on my own saliva, numerous times, and getting a headache (I didn't even know this was possible) from laughing too much, I've come to the very obvious conclusion that this is the best fanfiction story ever. Capslocked.

Of course, I've never had a fanfic make me want to actually STUDY or, like, be interested in anything vaguely science related... so maybe I'm just biased. Still, I don't think I'll ever be able to read another fanfic without comparing it to yours, and realizing that they ALL fall terribly short. I guess I'll just have to content myself with non-fiction of the scientific sort.

-coughs-

If I keep writing in this semi-intelligent matter I'm just going to confuse myself and give everyone else migraines. Please, keep up with your awesomely inspired writing and GIVE US MORE! SOON! NOW, PREFERABLY!
Book Mad TJ chapter 21 . 5/31/2010
No! I need more! This is so good.
Sociotard chapter 21 . 5/30/2010
I thought Harry understood that collaboration was a very necessary part of science? The idea of the superscientist discovering magnificent truths all on his own is a myth; scientists need that open atmosphere that he so blythly dismisses as part of the initial culture.

Science needs peer review on every method and every discovery. It cannot thrive in a culture of conspiracy. it is notable that he latched onto this idea only after a little conversation with Voldemort.
Peregrinate chapter 21 . 5/30/2010
) It's brilliant. I love it. You're a genius.

And yes, I had thought I'd read everything in the HP fandom.
PrincessVamp chapter 21 . 5/30/2010
Simply awesome. I am quite sad that there are no more chapters for me to devour. I am so looking forward to the next chapter and I can't wait to find out what happens to Harry! (Light Lord or Dark Lord? What's up with Dumbledore being insane and burning a chicken but not being insane? When will we reveal Quirrell's bad guy card (or IS he?) These questions and more are keeping me up at night! Also; I love your writing style, the quick wit, the ideas, the rationality and the fascinating information that I keep learning. Keep it up! :)
DTaishou chapter 21 . 5/30/2010
Well, my fellow reviewers are quite right! This is very new! I enjoy the humor and I'm excited to see the development of Harry's "relationship" with Quirrel (Voldemort?). Please continue with the excellent work!
Madame Minuit12 chapter 21 . 5/30/2010
love it

hilarious and yet sirious...

i think harry needs a weird pet not a snake though...

ignore my rambeling...

Madame Minuit12
daughterofkew chapter 21 . 5/30/2010
Thank you for the beginning of a fantastic read! I've most enjoyed Harry meeting Draco and the conversation with the Sorting Hat.

I look forward to more...
Hobbit-breath chapter 21 . 5/29/2010
I hope this isn't all there is.
KJS X-OVER chapter 21 . 5/29/2010
It's been a very, very long time since I last read a fanfic that made me think as much as this one did. It's even intimidating to write a review for it! I loved learning all these new (well, new to me) theorems and ideas and concepts. I won't complain about the progression, as it is irrelevant as long as the fic is good. I think people who complain do so because the later years are much more fun than the 1st year...

You characterizations of everyone are wonderful! They are truly original, which is rare to find. Harry tries so hard to be right all the time, and tries to ignore just how fallible humans can be... Dumbledore is interesting, although in a really strange way. McGonagall is finally a worthy character in the story, which is great. And Hermione in this chapter! That was a laugh! She tries to be a "good" person, and is finding that gloating is strange to her! I loved it!

My favorite character here is Professor Quirell. I am beyond curious as to what is going on here, because Harry is obviously having some sort of reaction to him, so him being possessed is still possible, although who knows? He is a strange character, but this is the first story I have read that has him playing a major role in the story.

Thank you so much for writing this! I could not stop reading it once I began. Thanks again!
Anon chapter 21 . 5/29/2010
Eh, all this rationality and excess-author-trying-to-be-smart is making the story drag. 128,000 words in, and you're only done with his first week? It took Rowling one book to do Harry's whole first year. At this rate, it'll take you 100 books to tell the story of Harry.

A prediction. When authors' stories start to bloat like this, they don't finish them. You're simply going to grow too tired of this work to complete it, unless you rein in and get the plot moving.
Sandy Popstar Pickeltry chapter 21 . 5/29/2010
My dear lover of many years! Do not hurt me so, or feel the wrath of your angered significant other! I will not hecitate to humiliate you and your very presence on this site if you do not appreciate your girl enough to give her an update! Update now, you darn fool!
Wanderer D chapter 21 . 5/29/2010
This story is awesome.
echoing noise chapter 21 . 5/28/2010
I love how you ended- and I'd better leave it at that.
livvie333 chapter 21 . 5/28/2010
About VN's comment:

Eliezer, I apologize if my comment seemed like you didn't know what the experiment was; I didn't mean it that way at all. I don't know what experiments are well known, and was suggesting that the Milgram experiment (thank-you both for telling me the name) was interesting and something Harry could talk about in your story.

Now for the story review.

Still an amazing story. My thoughts - I think that Dumbledore is the mysterious note writer. For the first note it would have been manipulation, because when Harry didn't believe in Dumbledore it made him feel guilty and then somewhat trust the man. As for the second... I don't remember what the first was signed as, but the second was "Santa Claus" and that means the person knows something about muggle culture assuming wizards don't know Santa. Plus he talks about himself to throw off the train. Then again the note didn't sound like Dumbledore's writing style.
bookivore chapter 21 . 5/28/2010
I would also guess that Sirius is , but I can't believe that the voice of the letters belongs to Sirius. That said, I am looking forward to hearing more about the rat-funeral and whatever did happen with Sirius.

I would also guess time-travelling Gryffindor Harry for the advisor, but the voice still seems off. Canon Harry would have to change a lot to develop this writing style. Also, I feel that canon, adult Harry would not use anonymous, manipulative letters to a child to accomplish something. But Harry has the immense advantage of having (information about) the Cloak and his attitude towards Snape, Dumbledore, and skiving off History fit Harry or other savvy Gryffindors. It is interesting that the writer does not know Ravenclaw Harry as well as he might.

Hermione really annoyed me in this chapter and I think you got her spot-on as far as her canon lack of social skills plus childish interpretation of quarrellingromance. Sadly Harry does not have a better example of romantic interaction (poor Petunia sure can pick them) but I hope that we won't have a supposedly-happy epilogue inflicted upon us.
Sabrinasidd chapter 21 . 5/28/2010
review of Methods of Rationality: Part TWO

Your interpretation of Professor Quirrell is amazing! Actually, I would say that your ‘Professor Quirrell’ has gone so deliciously off-canon that he’s an OC now.

I’m fairly certain that this is NOT actually Professor Quirrell, since there is too much evidence of two minds working on this one body here. Quirrell tends to go from a nervous, stammering, twitchy noodle to a strong, confident, intense and strong wizard too quickly to be explained by anything except a multiple personality disorder and/or possession. The only question is WHO the heck is Quirrell possessed by? Is it Voldomort, or is it someone entirely unexpected? Sirius Black? Barty Crouch?

Whoever this person is, he’s an amazing and fantastic mentor to Harry. Quirrell’s observations about Harry’s basic nature and weaknesses was brilliantly apt as well as magnificently helpful and productive to building up Harry’s character into a stronger individual. I loved, LOVED Quirrell’s exercise teaching Harry to lose. It was appalling, horrifying and I flinched the entire way through it all, but it was the most amazing, intense character-building scene I’ve ever read. wow!

And then after Quirrell shows Harry the harder side to his teaching methods, he then shows Harry something beautiful… the spell with the galaxies! I’ll bet anything that this was a spell that Quirrell developed on his own! Most of the Wizarding World shows an appalling lack of interest in exploring the universe or contemplating the stars and outer-space too deeply. Quirrell shows a nearly Muggle-ish sense of wonder, curiousity and respect for the stars, planets and universe.

Not only that, but Quirrell ALSO demonstrates an astounding amount of knowledge about the Muggle world. His comments about how Muggle scientists are in danger of destroying the world because they don’t properly safeguard the more dangerous techniques that have been invented were surprising, but quite apt. The theory of scientists sharing their knowledge might seem like a grand idea, BUT not if you realize that it means handing over technologies like nuclear weapons, smart-bombs, chemical-warfare in the hand of short-sighted *politicians*!

I think I became slightly incoherent in my feedback. I just loved EVERYTHING, and tried to convey that feeling. I desperately hope you update soon. I can’t wait to see what happens next in this fic.
EchoElizabeth chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
I am very much enjoying this story - it is reminding me of the joys of HP fanfics in all the right ways. The Harry you have envisioned is engaging, humorous, and believable. I love that he is such a balanced, well-rounded character. I am extremely interested in learning more about your version of Quirrel, and Harry's mystery benefactor has me curious. Not to mention the Weasley family's pet tragedy that was alluded to in earlier chapters...

Thank you for your excellent writing, and I look forward to future installments.
Swurt chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
You should get a medal for this fiction.

That is all :)

-Mr. Cosmos
BlackRoseFire chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
Awesome story. I loved the dark side of Harry. I can't wait until the next chapter. Though this story gave me a head ache when Harry went into tchnical speak, I understood 95% of it though.
Vivtek chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
While I don't have the time for a real review (hell, I didn't have time to *read* all this but did anyway), I did want to say that this is quite possibly the best fan fiction I've ever read and that I literally laughed out loud many times, something I really only do for Pratchett.

How *did* you think of what might happen if you replaced Harry Potter with Miles Vorkosigan?
Echo Moon chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
oh my god this is epic. completly insane, but epic. and if oyu do not update soon i will hunt you down and make you write the next chapter. :) so pelase update soon!
superbunny chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
Wonderful, simply wonderful.
yendenikhil chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
tht was pure awesomeness... logical thinking... science and magic and quick wit...

keep it coming :-)
Animekitty47 chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
XD That was an awesome ending for this chapter! I wonder what Trelawny's prediction was about? Voldy's already there too, not that anyone knows that...and he turned an object leaving the solar system into a Horcrux. Kinda hard to permanently kill him now, isn't it? XP I hope you're editing of this story and other stuff you're working on turns out alright! Update soon please!
hattuteline chapter 21 . 5/27/2010
Very good. Easily one of my all-time most favourite HP fics. Sometimes the science stuff just makes a *woosh* sound when it flies over my head, but the ones I did understand dragged some silly chuckles out. I think the only way to improve the story would be to have more chapters. :) I'll just wait for those, then.
MiiRsEnd chapter 21 . 5/26/2010
nice, I love a good Harry Potter, boy genious story.

This one is wonderfully conveluted too, loved the chapter with his father's rock I truely did roll with laughter.
the-amazing-lyndz chapter 21 . 5/25/2010
oh my goodness, this has to be the most hilarious harry potter fanfic i've read in a very long time. you've done such a great job creating a very unique setting, and characters. i'm really looking forward to reading more in the future. keep up the marvelous work.

Lyndz
Zargon chapter 21 . 5/25/2010
Take a second to step back and think about what Harry is up against before you deride his decision to do the science in secret. Imagine, for a moment, that you're a scientist who discovers a useful new thing or property, that, as a side effect, allows anyone to easily create a world-destroying black hole from stuff under their sink. Would you publish, or burn everything and tell nobody?

In Harry's position, I see no reason whatsoever to believe that magic couldn't create such a situation. He knows next to nothing about how it works, and so knows as much about it's limits. Who's to say there isn't an undiscovered destroytheworldius spell that any 1st year could do with 15 minute's practice? I mean, it's the first friggin week and he's learned how to create easy, effective chemical weapons with transfiguration. Brush up on chemistry & biology 101 and you could probably enhance the effect by an order of magnitude or two, by starting with a better poison, and knowing which gas would be most effective (probably oxygen, since it gets carried into the blood, but I'm not sure. A gas that both bound to the hemoglobin and sank in air would be best, because then you could use it outside). If I was him, I'd probably put something around an 80% prior on the notion that at least one world destroying spell has been found or thought of, and was simply hidden.

Here in the real world, we've found that physics thankfully make destroying worlds really hard (not impossible, of course), but in Harry's world, the physics we know are out the window, and there's no reason to think his underlying laws are as forgiving as ours.
Darla chapter 21 . 5/24/2010
Interesting plot twist. I'm not sure that your Harry will succeed in bringing Draco to the light, the way you have this interaction set up; it's more likely that he will be corrupted. I'm also not clear why he isn't bringing in other people who are a little more like-minded - not Hermione, given the "date" situation, but perhaps another Ravenclaw? Why invest so much in such a flawed character without having a backup plan?

A note to a couple of your recent reviewers: what a _character_ says does not necessary equal what the _author_ believes and espouses. It's an important distinction to remember...
JKL chapter 21 . 5/24/2010
I agree with ChuckDaTruck. Merely speaking of scientific secrecy is toxic, poisonous.

I'm frankly astonished that someone whom goes by the nick of lesswrong would even think something like this.

Were it not for the spreading of knowledge manking probably would have became nothing more the food for other predators in nature.

As an engineer, that quote of Sir Isaac Newton is something that always inspired me to do something, to create something, to try and contribute to the great building of knowledge, of science, even if something as small as a single brick.
Morbious20 chapter 21 . 5/24/2010
OMG SO SO AWESOME , you are most certainly one of the more brilliant authors I've had the pleasure of reaing stories written by (sorry english never was my best subject, hopefully that last line made more sense than I think it does ). I can't wait to read the next chapter although I do hope you pick up the pace a little bit. Keep up the amasing work and post again soon if possible .
ReaderinthePNW chapter 21 . 5/24/2010
I have no words. No words for how awesome you are. Guh-
Violet Shadows chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
Epic.
ChuckDaTruck chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
I posted this at

I strongly disagree with your latest decision, regarding Harry and Draco.

Voldemort keeping knowledge secret I could understand, but Harry?

I hope he's under Voldemort's sway...

I am a fan of this story, but I must say I'm disappointed with the turn in the latest chapter. The author is basically endorsing secrecy as policy for a scientific discovery. Madness.

To quote Sir Isaac Newton:

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Imagine the utter lack of progress humanity would make if people kept their discoveries to themselves. Every generation would have to rediscover the tools of the past because some schmuck decided to keep it "secret."

Even his version of Harry has benefited from the sharing of knowledge. He did not invent Time Turners and they are certainly a potent object, which has benefited him.

It is a concept that has more holes than swiss cheese.

Included for evidence:

[url] time/health/article/0,8599,1990836, [/url]

Humanity has artificially made life. This is dangerous and the potential hazards are vast. According to Methods, Craig Venter should keep his discovery secret. But I think this is nonsense. If we don't share what we learn, we do a disservice to future generations. And it assumes that all outcomes are foreseeable; that something bad will happen. But what riches would be lost?

The concept of scientific secrecy is toxic, and I could not remain silent. By letting other minds apply themselves and utilize these new developments, the possibilities of what can be achieved by humans, as a species, grows.

[url] . [/url]

A recent essay summarizing the recent Theory of Collective Intelligence, which appeared in the Wall Street Journal.
Kortir chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
Wow, this is all sorts of awesome. It feels like XKCD meets Harry Potter and then hits a liquor store and a pharmacy on the way home. Looking forward to reading more of the crazy!

Also, Quirrell is awesome O.o Weird
LionessAmaya chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
This was certainly an interesting read.

My brain overloaded at times, and there were points where I was ready to scream in confusion, but all in all, it was the most enjoyable thing that I've read in a while.

Your plot was, of course, amazingly original. I know that you know that already, so I won't continue to elaborate. I enjoyed seeing new takes on everything- and the note-sender being non-omnipotent was a very nice change. The contest between Harry and Hermione was also a nice little touch. There are plenty of little twists here and there, and I love how it's a serious piece with plenty of humour.

It is also all very realistic. This is a perfectly reasonable alternative to cannon, actually. You've changed certain events and that's changed other events, and this is exactly how I believe Hogwarts would end up if introduced to your Harry.

Your plot is thankfully lacking holes, as far as I can see, and it exists. Thank god. I was half expecting this to consist of Harry poking holes in everyone's thoughts about magic and whatever for twenty one chapters. Luckily, there are actual events. Hallelujah.

Your take on the characters is as original as everything else you do. Harry is of course out of character, but he has the key qualities that make him Harry. I loved his little juggling act with Draco, Hermione, etc. and his planning to take over the world, of course. Quirell was interesting. I assume that he never met Voldemort? Hermione seems very in character, and Neveille as well. Once again, you've changed things and changed everyone else to suit that, and it's worked out perfectly. Kudos to you.

I love how Harry is so mature in his knowledge and yet so childish at times. You've really done a splendid job on both him and Draco- I was rather chilled at the mention of Luna and rape and whatnot, which is undoubtedly what you intended. Professor McGonagall reacted realistically and amusingly. I also love your OC, not evil but not infallible either. Verres is a nice in the middle character and nowhere near the sad excuses for original characters I've seen recently.

The setting could use a little more description, in my opinion. This is character driven, and of course we know what Hogwarts looks like, but Harry would still be taking note of these things. Little bits here and there, notes about the Ravenclaw dormitory and cmoon room, more notes on people's appearance- you're doing well, I just think that more would make the story come alive.

Your title is perfect. I normally loathe "Harry Potter and-" as a title, but it works well here considering that it's a PS (SS) alternative. Your summary, on the other hand, is a little off-putting. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your comment about the "typical review" comes across as a bit conceited and it would be nice to have a tiny bit of information about the plot, or at least some hints to Harry's plan for world "optimization" and his alliances and whatnot. I've come across this a few times and was put off by the summary, but finally ended up going for it because it was recommended by a very good author.

Anyway, I know that this is a fairly long review, so I shall take my leave here. I really did enjoy reading thsi. i gasped, I "OMG!"ed, I re-read explanations of theories over and over again in confusion, I "WTF!"ed a few times, and most of all I laughed out loud. My parents now think I'm insane. Thank you for giving me a few days of amusement, and you are an amazing author. :D

Keep writing!

Smiles,

LOT7
ears chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
Don't blame him at all for writing a concise letter devoid of the insanity of the week, otherwise he would probably just terrify his parents. Excellent chapter!
Crescent Beam Shower chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
I like this fic. Very unique and sometimes confusing. "Omake Files" made me laugh a lot.
Wolfric chapter 21 . 5/22/2010
Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
Lisa chapter 21 . 5/22/2010
You haven't updated in over a week. I need a fix.
IchigoRenji chapter 21 . 5/21/2010
this is a really cute story, I love your take on things, J.K. Rowling should have done something like this, its way more fun
Mr.Destructo chapter 21 . 5/21/2010
omg a review!
Not-A-Spy chapter 21 . 5/21/2010
Are ya gonna continue this? The time-stuff was a bit confusing, but otherwise I am liking this story so far. Please continue it, your schedule permitting of course.
LockandLoad chapter 21 . 5/21/2010
Why do I get the feeling, that in the end we'll see Harry, Hermione and Draco, standing over a bubbling cauldron, with a whole bunch of glimmering rune-equation floating over head, with lightning crackling Tesla generator and steam spewing, well, steam engine(s) arrayed on the background...

while cackling 'MWA HA HA HA ... ! For SCIENCE !'.

Still Awesome 'tho. :D :D :D
Smileyfax chapter 21 . 5/21/2010
I love the hell out of this story. Keep up the good work!
Miss C Riddle chapter 21 . 5/21/2010
ok... i love this fic! lolz i love the way harry summed up his first week at hogwarts, i wonder what mine would be like if i went... haha lolz probably about the same, my friends reckon i could take over the world with a paintbrush... dont ask.

Update soon!

~MissCRiddle~
Fiorenza chapter 21 . 5/20/2010
So, I didn't quite fall out of my chair laughing, but I did just have to get up and dance around my room almost squealing with gleeful giggles.

But Harry can be a wee bit creepy... now that I think about it, most of your characters are a bit disturbing.

Crazy, all of it.
TBooki chapter 21 . 5/20/2010
Another well done chapter. I particularly enjoyed Hermione's struggle over whether or not she is becoming "Bad." Creating the idea that it was a romance was hilarious and entirely accurate seeing as how much Hermione trusts in books...

Wow, so Harry really has had quite an alarming week... I have a feeling that his year might be even worse, yes?

Introducing a new prophecy! How exciting! I can hardly wait to find out what the whole thing said!

Who knew Santa Claus would be taking such an active role in Harry's life... hehe. Now, do we know the character who keeps writing these mysterious notes or are you introducing someone new?

Harry's note to his parent... adorable.

Great chapter!

tbooki
A Fan chapter 21 . 5/20/2010
I love you. Seriously, I fucking love you. This is because of the reason that in all the hundreds of fan fics I've read, this is without a doubt the most entertaining. Keep up the good work.
EclipxedRose chapter 21 . 5/20/2010
I'll start off by saying that I loved this fanfic and the plotline.

I'll be honest with you - it is extremely hard to understand. Especially when you're a thirteen-year-old girl. However, despite the fact that I have no idea what the hell is Baye's Theorem and all that complicated gibberish, I actually understand some parts of it. You have a way with words, although I do wish you'd use simpler English.

Although Harry is admittedly extremely OOC, I don't really mind all that much as I always thought Rowling seemed to give Harry PMS 24/7. However, I think you're giving him a little too much power. Despite growing up with a scientist parent, it is virtually impossible for an eleven-year-old to memorize that many theorems and laws and whatever. I mean, if he was a sixth-year or so, it would have been impressive enough. But you're pretty much making him out to be a child genius.

I do like that you haven't made him some kind of wizarding prodigy, though. I've read too many clichéd fanfics which involves Harry being an all-powerful future Dark Lord. I also like that you make him a bit insecure about himself sometimes, and not too overconfident or ever-perfect.

It's great that you make it out so that he's not going to be an Albus Dumbledore -y Light Lord, or a Dark Lord more deadly than Voldemort. It keeps me in suspense, and though I admit it is annoying, it also keeps me interested in what will happen next.

Extra points for the flawless English used. If you have a beta, he/she is certainly brilliant. If not, then you should go get a masters in English/Literature, if you haven't yet.

A problem though: You should keep in mind that this fanfic shouldn't be restricted for only adults to enjoy. Loosen up a bit, don't use such stiff English/references. I know I said it before, but it kind of irks me that I don't get a lot of the terms. It makes me feel like I'm missing out on something.

Love the plotline though. One of a kind. Extremely original and unique. Just keep in mind that Harry IS an eleven-year-old, and they are usually a bit more immature.

Hope you update soon.

-AJ
Sarshi chapter 21 . 5/20/2010

Brilliant. I love this fic.
Pointer3109 chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
"will have their remains scattered over an area wide enough to include twelve different spoken languages."

Now, that's a threat.

Liked the letter.
WildeJunkie96 chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
Well, I've decided to join the throng and congratulate you on your epic awesomeness. I've probably already done this and forgot about it, but even so, this story definitely deserves it. Keep up the good work.

-N.L.D.

P.S. And the insanity!
Nibbles the Chicken chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
I've noticed something odd about Hogwarts... I doesn't have any lightning rods. Probably has a anti-lightning ward to protect the students (especially while playing Quidditch).

A ward to stop the flow of electrons, gee, what kind of unintended consequences could THAT have a thousand years down the line?

Anyway, this fic is absolutely freaking PRICELESS.
VN chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
Jinx: To actually be right, you need to know the truth; just being perceived to know the truth, and believing that you know the truth, doesn't constitute being right.
Jinx of the 2nd Law chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
LOL, GREAT letter, I'm SURE it will set his parents' minds at ease!

Hmmm, Hermione... You can read the books, memorize the books, take the tests and get EVERY SINGLE ANSWER RIGHT - and still be no closer to the TRUTH than when you started.

She needs to ask if she wants to BE RIGHT, or KNOW THE TRUTH. Big difference.

Thanks again for another interesting chapter!
Pathatlon chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
Hmm... I hope Harry will try to figure out the prophecy... tho, he'll prolly end up in the chaos :P

Love the story, as always
CurrentlyIncognito chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
Poor Har- Nah~ Go Hermione! :D Draco feels very in-character. That doesn't happen often in order for him to be good. You're awesome~ D'awh.
lipasnape chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
Very interesting. Madness is contageous so I will read on with caution.
Anon chapter 21 . 5/19/2010
Absolutely brilliant. Wonderful. Fantastic!

I could totally relate to the conversation with the sorting hat, and it doesn't seem that the story is lagging at all after that.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
Looney the coon chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
Hey, I was kinda worried about your pacing, but you've reassured me. Anyway, I love the story!
LoireLoa chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
... umm...yeah. Unfortunately Hermione hasn't realized that you can't just DEECIDE to have an epic, whilrwind, stuff-of-movies romance with someone. The universe doesn't work that way. And I highly doubt that Harry is in any way crushing on her. She's his rival, not his love intrest (or even his friend).
threecankeepasecret chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
The Bayesian Conspiracy does exist! I knew it! Shame on all you people who thought I was delusional!

... Actually, nobody thought I was delusional because of that. But nevertheless, great story. I really want to know exactly what is going on with Quirrell. Although, in canon, he'd say Voldemort, not He-who-must-not-be-named. Because they've reached that point. If you don't know the reference, I suggest youtubing A Very Potter Musical and sending Draco to Mars.

Whether Quirrel is or is not possesed by Voldemort/Dumbledore/Darth Vader/other being, he's very cool. I was about to suggest a chapter dedicated to Bayes right before you posted it. I'm rambling. Update soon!
Deritine chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
You are making me twitchy. All science should be shared! Especially the negative results that aren't sexy. else we'll all make the same mistakes forever. Science and secrecy? No good! Darkness! Ignorance! Ahhh!
Nongarak chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
Hah! Very nice! CtrlFing 'tentacle' reveals rape. Anyways, great job, and I hope you get over your break soon! This is a fun story.
The French Dark Lord chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
This just rocks!
cimer chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
I’m writing this primarily to avoid self-selection bias, so sorry if I’m overly critical. (Or not constructively-critical enough.) The mere fact that I’m stopping to write this is more praise than I know how to put in non-silly words.

Still, I can’t go on without at least putting into words that I love the story. So: I love the story!

*) If you have any way to remind the reader more often of the characters’ age, don’t hesitate to do so, and explicitly: Given Harry’s genius (and a few of the others are wise beyond their years, too) I’m often confused when he does something childish. For example, I thought very hard trying to figure out what were the devious plans behind the “robes dialogue”. (I.e., what Harry was trying to accomplish, and how Draco was trying to pervert it.) It was only after reading a few reviews that I realized it was simply the children in them talking (or at least that seems likely; I’m still not 100% sure, see below).

*) I’m not sure if I quite agree with Farsan and the others. I wouldn’t have minded if you made *IT* explicit in chapter 20 (I’m supposed to avoid spoilers, am I not?). You could have done it by having a passage from his POV, as you did from Hermione’s in chapter 21, for instance. You could have even said it directly, or had a flashback or something.

But without that, it’s pretty much impossible to make the reader (well, me) be sure of the fact. Authors are so fond of dropping misleading clues to readers, only to reveal later that it wasn’t quite so. (Sometimes *much* later, and sometimes reversing the “final decision” several times.) Dropping many obvious hints but not saying explicitly something is actually a hint that the hints are misleading. I mean, canon!Snape was so obviously an asshole in the first books that I very strongly suspected the final role Rowling had for him (character-wise, not the exact events).

I’m not sure about the readers-using-the-characters’-POVs thing, but there’s more at work here. Someone mentioned, and I agree, that the author controls reality within his books. Suspension of disbelief means that readers can’t absolutely rely on logic applied to what things *look like*, only to what things *are*. So, if you say “magic works”, I must believe it. If you say “magic beats thermodynamics”, I also have to believe it. But if you say just the first, then you describe something that *could* be explained by magic savagely raping thermodynamics, the reader can’t quite make the inference. It could be just a trick, or maybe nobody noticed the huge amount of entropy that just materialized somewhere else.

Example: in a past note you mentioned Harry’s humiliation as a clear clue for Q’s identity. But the reader can’t quite know that, within the book, that wasn’t *actually* the best way of teaching the lesson. They might believe or suspect otherwise, but within the story they can’t be sure if you don’t say it — especially if there are also counter-clues, like the fact that Q seems genuinely helpful, or at least competent. (As a counter-example, Rita Skeeter and Dolores Umbridge were quite clearly chaotic/lawful evil, respectively: they never appeared to do something good or useful, although they tried.)

Anyway, in Q’s case the story works very well as it is. I didn’t even get the feeling you were trying to let us know: until reading the author’s notes I suspected you were actually leading us to a trap.

(Another example: I really can’t decide if Albus is mad or faking it. There are enough “clues” in both directions to allow an author to “reveal” either later.)

*) This is not quite a critique, just feedback in case you want to know: I was a bit annoyed by your bashing Ron at the start. I’m not sure why but he was quite likable in canon in ways other comic relief characters (e.g. Longbottom) weren’t.

I suppose your point was “well-intentioned stupidity is worse than evil-but-smart-enough-to-be-worth-converting”. If that was your intention, it kind of worked, but I would have been more effective to see actual bad results. For now it reads too much like just arrogant making-fun-of-the-slow-kid. The rest of the story shows good reasons for the point (in this paragraph’s first sentence), but Ron himself doesn’t seem to do any worse than ask silly questions. So as a reader I felt Harry was too arrogant for his intelligence, rather than intelligent enough to be rightfully annoyed by Ron (at that point in the story, at least).

And Harry just thinking about why Ron annoys him is not enough. I guess the “smart means hubris” trope is too common enough in fiction. If you want a smart guy to be *justifiably* haughty you need to put a *lot* of justification.

(It gets better later, where it becomes more obvious that Harry is both brave and well-intentioned. But at the beginning it felt like bashing.)

*) I’ve seen a lot of comments whining that the story advances too slow (21 chapters for one week). Although I suspect you’re doing it very much on purpose (the end of chapter 21 wouldn’t have worked as well), I still thought it was worth mentioning that I at least don’t feel that way :)

I mean, I doubt anyone really expects to have a complete rewriting of everything that happened in canon. I’m not reading the thing to find out what happens at the end, but rather to see what happens each chapter. And I for one will be completely satisfied if the entire thing ends, with chapter 100, after a month or so of school, as long as there’s an epilogue hinting at the awesome amounts of awesomeness in the future.

* * *

Disclaimer: I’m not a huge fan of the original books (only read the first three, I think), so I might miss some clues-from-canon. And I did came here from lesswrong and overcoming bias, so I might get more clues-from-rationality than the average reader.

Oh, and I wish you had finished everything before I started reading it. The waiting is killing me.
bluewillow chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
I'm guessing that Harry's secret benefactor is none other than Sirius Black - but what I'm wondering is how the hell he's getting the notes and stuff into Harry's quarters? It can't be anyone at Hogwarts, because they're missing parts of the picture - it's like their information is referred second-hand. And Sirius seems like someone who wouldn't think twice about cheating on school-work.
kail chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
interestingly confusing.
shenmi meiren chapter 21 . 5/18/2010
the letter was priceless

and the date! lol
Rabid fan 157 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Dear sir,

Your kung-fu is excellent.

Please continue.

Sincerely,

-Rabid fan #157.
DareOfTheDawn chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Wow. Just, wow. I am literally in shock by how good this story is. One reason I love it so much is because I (I guess you could say like some characters) spend most of my time studying etc. But not on spelling, I am horrible at that- anyway, So when I got a spare few minutes on FF I thought I might read a nice one shot or something. But this is truly unexpected and profound! I feel like this story is making my goals all the more idealized (Don't worry DARK isn't really my thing). All in all this is truly amazing and I am so glad I came across it!

Christina
clodiarisa chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
"Thank you to Farsan for observing that readers may still doubt regardless of any hints, and want to doubt, and hope for a twist, and forgive the lack of a twist later, but not forgive a too-early revelation that leaves no room for twists. This makes things much clearer to me."

I never left a review on the last chapter because I was trying to figure out how to say this. I still wish I didn't know how it was going to turn out. It's obvious, but I was still hoping beyond hope that Quirrell would be his awesome mentor. Because, like Harry, I feel he's the awesomest character ever right now. To some extent I feel frustrated and betrayed that you had to tell us. I can understand how you feel, but I think that the story should tell itself. (Which is why I read authors notes, yes I know.)

I am, however, very pleased that you are starting to understand our point of view. Now on to this chapter!

I didn't know I could love Hermione more than I did already. I didn't know that I'd enjoy Voldemort!Harry this much. "THERE WILL BE NO SECOND DATE." You make me reliably laugh out loud multiple times a chapter. This is a rarity. I have recommended this fic to everyone I know, and I know at least one person has caught up to me.
katsmiles115 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
This story made me laugh so hard my eyes watered. I hope you keep writing what it fun bc i'm having a great time reading it, can't wait for more. thanks.
SilverLullabies93 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Is it Sirius giving him all this stuff!

Who is it!

Want to know!
hi chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
excellent!
Paprika chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Kudos for writing an awesome piece of fanfiction,

meh for shallow characterization of Hermione. Granted, in book 1 she was insufferable and not terribly well developed, and 11-year old girls never make sense in the first place. But here you're giving Harry heaps of cunning while in the books he mostly stumbled along on blind luck, and to extend the analogy in your 'first law of fanfiction', you can't leave Aragorn on horseback if Frodo's zooming along in a spaceship: sidekicks and supporting characters have to be of a level comparable to your main character to plausably be useful. Hermione's understanding of people isn't as nearly as sophisticated, she doesn't come across as clever-just very good at studying-and the way she quickly concluded, totally illogically, that Harry liked her put me off. Probably because it reminded me of the thousand or so movies/stories where each competent female character ends up with a huge crush on the hero, no matter how independent she was at the beginning.

The malfoy scene: no mind games? almost no resistance from malfoy? he can't have been converted that easily. Last part made me lol, though.

keep going.
Drake-Azathoth chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
It's crazy to say it, but I think this was the funniest chapter yet. Most amusing I find is that Hermione's naivete with regards to who's 'on side' and her 'feminine 'logic' in determining her own relationship with Harry, while completely off-the-wall and derived almost in entirety from her emotional needs and adherence to social convention...

In terms of who she trusts, what she expects to happen between herself and Harry, and what she's likely to get from a confrontation? Probably more accurate than Harry's rationalism. You can't build on that kind of 'logic' and can wildly mistake people's motivations, but for a snapshot of the social network it works pretty bloody well doesn't it?
Astaldo Ungol chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Normally, I tend not to review, mostly because I never have any idea what to say, despite the fact that I've in the fanfiction world for probably a good five years. The reason I've finally decided to click the nice little link at the bottom of the chapter is your Author's Note. Mainly in the fact that it expressed something that I've recently been thinking about, and I felt the need to explain my hypothesis for the unexplained phenomenon to you.

Over the years, I've had my beliefs destroyed/reconstructed multiple times by fanfictions and their authors, sometime on a large, person level, and sometimes in a purely fictional fashion. Examples include (in order as listed above) my new view on Science and Nature provided by you, and the fact that if an fanfiction author tells me Doctor Manhattan has had his 'intrinsic field' of atoms (in a simplified manner) over-energised to the point he dematerialises and has complete control over his bodily energies, I will believe it.

This is because, in my opinion, that fanfiction is purely the authors, and they as such have the rights to lay out whatever laws of the Universe the want. If Harry in the next chapter explained, as an unchangeable fact of the Universe, that Gravity is an effect created by the human mind because they as a whole wanted to learn to roller blade, I would believe it, because no matter what I believed (not to mention how unrealistic that would be), that would be true for the universe that has been created. And that's what authors do, create the world over again in text form. No matter what genre, that is what happens. Take Lord of the Rings for example: Elves, Dwarfs, Goblins, sentient rings that control the user and make them invisible, and a big floating eye of a Hell-God. True, because these things are what the author has laid out for us, and if we don't like them, what is the point in reading it? Either accept it, or stop reading. And anyway, isn't that the point of fiction anyways? To read something that isn't real and doesn't follow what we perceive as reality, but believing in it anyways because it's something worthwhile to believe in?

Anyways, I'm not sure if this all makes sense to someone who isn't me and doesn't understand my thought process, so it is entirely possible I'm ranting, and if that is true, I apologise. For that and any grammar mistakes my spellchecker and I didn't catch the first few times around. -

Hope this wasn't too incomprehensible, or long, and good luck with the rest of the story. Can't wait to see what Harry makes out of Draco, and what he'll do when he finds out about Quirrell.
Zaelore chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
This fic is awesome and just keeps getting better. I wish more fiction was this intelligent. People would probably be smarter ). Or at least more interesting, heh. I made an account just to say keep up the good work!
Virtual Dreams chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Hmmm..

"(...)and they just fell to the ground and let the horrifically befanged and tentacled demons of the darkest abyss(...)"

Is this where the tentacle rape was? ;-)

I do have to say...one week and you've written 21 chapters already? Not that I'm complaining, by the way, but I do wonder what the count will be at the end of the 1st year XD

Oh, and great story :P
Cremello chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Lol! My favorite part in this chapter was definitely the letter Harry wrote home, and the discussion he had with Draco over how not-smart Voldemort is... Looking forward to the nest one!
Dureth chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Great chapter.
MargaritaS chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
well its unique, i am definately intrigued to see where your going but as it stands im quite confused, it seems a little too off the wall. i hope you update soon :)
Enelen chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
I hope H/H will tire of each other by the time they get to puberty and real romances... But clueless Hermione chasing scared Harry... that could be fun :P

Who could that prophecy be about? Both Harry and Voldemort are there, so who is coming? And will tear apart the very what of what? I want a scene with Dumbledore finding out that the very dramatic prophecy ended like this: ...EXISTENCE OF THIS BUDDING ROMANCE :D
Raver Styx chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
This story has both bland and awesome chapters. Some are downright impressive, while others make me go - meh!
Rhett1980 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
I like this fic..but Hermione comes across as a Mary Sue.
Edwin Evans chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
From the author's notes (and preceded by a potential spoiler):

And thank you to another reviewer, I can't find the name, for observing that readers placed in a viewpoint character's perspective will tend to instinctively suppress knowing anything the viewpoint character doesn't know. This is a phenomenon I genuinely had no clue about as an author

...

thanks for helping me to become a stronger writer

Really? I hope you don’t stop doing that! That is one of my favorite, most original things in the story like how Harry/we found out that he really had screwed up on several occasions and we should have figured it out too. I especially liked the one with grabbing Neville.
Jaxtopher chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Yeeeah, he better leave it at that. :D

Your fic, as always, remains fantastic. I love Malfoy's answer, how he doesn't quite get the experimental method yet. Not surprising, of course, he has a lot of background to overcome. The sudden shift in tone in their conversation was also awesome, and the image of a bunch of 11-year olds trying to be dark and conspiratorial had me laughing aloud.

Keep it up!
Ossindie chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
This is... I have no words for it. It is fantastic. I did cringe a bit at the summary, what with the "like nothing you've read before" which, frankly, sounded like a shameless self-promotion, but by the time I reached chapter three I realized that I had not, in fact, ever read a Harry Potter fic like this before. At a future point in time, when I'm not so hard-pressed for it (time, I mean - I do have to finish up my work on 17th century poetry for tomorrow), I shall endeavour to leave a more fulfilling review and possibly engage in a philosophical discussion of my own. As it is, I'm not much of a philosopher, but I do know my math, so that'd be a nice venue to explore. That said, I love your Quirrel and think it strange that I now wish I had a teacher like him in my school years.
chibiaries chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Wow. Just...wow.

This chapter was absolutely amazing.

The book-reading contest, the first date (*insert hysterical laughter here*), the whole secret science-magic society that Harry started with Malfoy, and I especially loved the part in which Harry was thinking about screaming and running away from the Weasley twins.

The best part though, involved Harry's Look of Flaming Fire, and Hermione getting all the females in Ravenclaw to vote against Harry Potter. Quite a devious move on Hermione's part.

Eagerly anticipating the next chapter,

chibiaries
Katamabob chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Well, that was fun _ I love Hermione's logic and rationalisations for her gloating. Hilarious. Romance solves everything.

Their date sounds so funny, and I loved Draco's description of his reaction to it...

I like Harry's beginning redemption of Draco, it's a good plan. Hope Draco excepts the results. And Draco's complete lack of original thought with names was funny. Science Eaters? And they want cooler cloaks, it's sort of adorable when it's little boys planning these things... I really can't take them too seriously at this stage.

Who keeps warning him against Dumbledore? I thought Quirrel mebbe, but the note warned him against Quirrel, so...

Meh, good mystery either way.

Busy week he's had :D Can't wait to see what happens next!
The Rat Killer chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Well so far this story has caught my interest, it is now 1:19 in the morning and i have to be up in 3 hours. I can't wait for the next chapter although i did have a question. At the train station Draco mentions Ron's pet incident, does this involve his rat and what are the circumstances surrounding that? Clarification is need as the offhand jab opens a whole new series of possibilities about who is actually writing Harry these letters. Are you taking guesses?
jdboss1 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
I am a diehard Harry/Hermione relationships but I wasn't sure if you was mocking JK on R/Hermione claiming constant fighting is a sign of love I am Glad your Harry Potter didn't appreciate the date they are still only 11 years old if that was in year four fully acceptable

The scene with Malfoy was done well

I nearly ruled out the werewolf sending harry the letters but I cannot see him so easily given away two golden galleons

The prophecy at the end of this chapter I immediately thought was referring to Harry Potter scientist ways

This update made my day
Allen Pitt chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Poor Hermione, not great with the people skills. rose petals scattered before? At least it wasn't Madame Puddifoot's. And boy does H. have the wrong idea about HP. Romance? Maybe in a few years...

I liked the prophecy part. Anyway, hopefully the next week won't be as dull as this first one. Loved the part where Draco realized how stupid the Dark Mark on all DE's arms was.
fiddlemath chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Glorious.

I know plenty of reviewers have complained that there's not enough plot motion in each chapter, and perhaps this is true. But since you select every event in each chapter to fit the chapter's theme, I find it remarkable that you're keeping a plot going at all. This is an excellent didactic structure, if the reader picks up on it. :)

In the words of the traditional Bayesian parting: don't stop updating.
Luiz4200 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Dear Mum and Dad:

I'd better leave it at that.

Your loving son,

Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres.

Yep, that sounds really better. Did Vernon find somebody else after losing Petunia? Does Mr. Verres also have a sister? Please update.
phoebe turner chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
i loved it! so funny...
Intelligo chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Way too many italics. I've noticed it every chapter, first time I'm saying it.

Basically, if I were to read it out loud with those affects, I'd sound like a douche.
lobocom chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
WOW! I love this story. ALL HAIL THE DARK LORD POTTER!
Nargus chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Mmm...a new conspiracy, and a new prophecy. Things aren't getting interesting enough, for Harry...so or he claim...
Larry Huss chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
The chapter was good, Harry & Draco the second best part of it. The best? The letter home of course. Anyone who hasn't had to write to a friend or relative, or just sum up something to someone they havent' seen in a while is always faced with either an epic to make the Iliad blush, or a letter like that one.

your attendive reader, Larry
Atidrep chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
This is the very first time I feel the need to leave a review on ... And I don't even really know what to tell you, apart from the fact that I believe that you've got to be even more insane than all of you're characters put together!

I've read a lot of very good fictions about the HP world, but this one is without a doubt the funniest, the most brilliant and the most extraordinary fic I've ever seen! I read it over the whole weekend, and once my husband actually smelled at my drink just to make sure I didn't put any alcool in it, because I was laughing so hard! And you're adding just the right dose of mysteries to make me come back to read more, which doesn't happen very often anymore with unfinished fics. As a die-hard Harmony shipper, I'm pretty sure that not even if Harry were to knock Draco up, I wouldn't let that repel me, and believe me, that's saying something!

So keep up the excellent work, you are an exceptional writer and I can't wait to read more from you :-)
Kitiara chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
"Someday," said the Boy-Who-Lived, "when the distant descendants of Homo sapiens are looking back over the history of the galaxy and wondering how it all went so wrong, they will conclude that the original mistake was when someone taught Hermione Granger how to read." LOL!

I was gigling the entire chapter. OMG, the awesomenes of this fic goes beyond words :)
Zicou chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Awesome!

Z.
Entropic Specter chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
You know, that break you are going to take? It better not be long. Waiting for the next chapter is bad enough as is.

About the person sending Harry notes: My guess best guess is still Dumbledore. The type of information fits any of the marauders pretty well too, though. Still not confident either way about any of this.

Does Hermione consider the results of her won bet a huge success, I wonder?

Anyway, thanks for writing.
Greytune chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
"I want you to know, Draco Malfoy," said the silhouette in tones of deadly calm, "that I do not blame you for my recent defeat."

*shivers* Boy, during the first few sentences I really thought it was Quirrelmort talking. Harry really sounded wicked.

"This day shall mark the dawn of... the Bayesian Conspiracy."

I've no idea what that means. I hope you explain it in your A/N or otherwise I'd rather like an explanation.

"Please be more careful in the future, Harry Potter. - Santa Claus"

Whoever this person is (even it it's Harry himself - I can just see him when he's older developing a more powerful timeturner and go back a few years to leave himself the note) I already think they're awesome just because of their signature.

And the last seven paragraphs of the chapter are just pure gold.

Great work on this chapter (also loved the small monologue from Hermione!) and I hope the next one will be just as good and will arrive shortly.

Otherwise I will gather your fanbase and we will attack you with pitchforks.

(No pressure here.)
Random832 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
"And with a dull, leaden sensation, Harry realized who wasn’t already at Hogwarts." Of course his assumption here is incorrect.

Something that I don't know if you put in on purpose, but was interesting: Isn't there a danger Harry's not realizing in committing too far to what may be a poorly-designed test, in the belief that questioning the results means you're just rationalizing the opposite results you want to be true?

I didn't notice this during Harry's discussion with Draco, but it hit me later on when he put in writing the claim that Hermione reads faster than he does.

That the tortoise won the race does not make him faster than the hare. Not even if some would-be scientist made the mistake of proposing a race as a test of who is faster.
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
THis was GREAT!

"Yes," said Draco. Actually this was starting to sound pretty attractive. The Death Eaters had tried to take power by being scarier than everyone else, and they hadn't actually won yet. Maybe it was time to try ruling using secrets instead. "And our group stays hidden for as long as possible, and everyone in it has to agree to our rules."

"Of course. Definitely."

There was a very short pause.

"We're going to need better robes," said the shadowy figure, "with hoods and so on -"

"I was just thinking that," said Draco. "We don't need whole new robes, though, just cowled cloaks to put on. I have a friend in Slytherin, she'll take your measurements -"

Oh, that is SO Trry Pratchett, right there. Very funny, the whole chapter.

And:

And the thought had occurred to him... Harry didn't know if this was a valid way to think about the universe, he didn't know anything any more, but it seemed possible...

That...

Not enough interesting things had happened to him over the last week.

was great too.
Hayden Elrics chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Oblivious, us? Readers of a fanfic? How dare you! Hehe, j/k. Good work, another wonderfully twisty chapter, although I must say I missed harry's finger-snapping exploits. Maybe he could start an acapella group?

I'm guessing the note is from filius or albus... Or some random OC. I bet they don't have curly blonde hair anyway. (The person reading over my shoulder that means YOU)

Anyway, enjoy ur plot restructuring,

Helix
Kutta chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
:D

Awesome.

Behold the newly returned Bayesian Conspiracy.
yoyoente chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
The most telling line EVER: "I'd better leave it at that." *snorts*

So I've finally decided that it is in face Dumbledore that sent the invisibility cloak to Harry and he's this freaky mad genius that is trying to manipulate Harry both through these letters and his actual conversations with him. I mean in the first letter he told Harry not to trust him, and then when they met in person he made Harry reveal more than he would have prior by making him feel guilty about not trusting him...sly ole' dog.

...I think...

Bah, whatever.
ultra dragon chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
"followed by the Defense Professor turning out to be the most awesome human being who still walked the face of the Earth"... oh dear, this is not going to end well is it? and what the hell? already dating? that was fast! (now let see if Hermoione isn't simply insane and Harry won't kill her after all the pain he endured) btw, the end? yeah loved it! nice job.
cheekylildevil chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
meh, not bad but not good

Indi
Ronfar chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Ugh. Not the Bayesian Conspiracy! :(

To be honest, it just feels wrong to me to keep knowledge secret because it's "dangerous". (Too much reading David Brin's nonfiction, perhaps?) Both "There Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know" People not knowing what they're doing tend to get into much more trouble than people who do. If you venture into an unexplored cave and find a button that blows up the world, do you do better by not telling anyone about it, or by telling as many people as you can, so they can keep it safe?

And the other problem is that, if you can't trust people in general with something, only giving access to the ipowerful/i is usually much, much worse. Power attracts the corruptible, and if the Bayesian Conspiracy has all the weapons, then they have all the power. If they keep their workings secret, that means that they can't be held accountable for what they do. When you give someone power without accountability, you end up with a tyrant. Just look at present-day Iran.

If the Bayesian Conspiracy existed in real life, I'd join it, learn as much as I could, and them publish all their secrets.
Guest chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Hmmm, I can understand that for the plot, the date had to happen, however, it shows that Harry has absolutely no capability of saying 'No' which I believe this Harry would. Putting it to the vote doesn't change the original bet and it's lack of forfeit for either party should they lose. It will, of course, make anyone realise that any bet made with Hermione, or any of those who raised their hands, is subject to change according to popular view after the bet is finished.

I think I can hear the reverberations of the phrase "Are you insane?" from here when Hermione revealed the forfeit. Not exactly conducive to a good first date really. Can see an early visit to Miss Myrtle here.

So yeah, one word, two letters, N and O, easy really. Just keep repeating until the other person gets the idea. If that starts to fail for some obscure reason, raise an eyebrow, stay silent and walk away... that's always good too. Gives the other person hardly any ammo to use verbally. A good glance over the shoulder and a silent disappointed head shake with accompanying sigh, then continueing to walk away should they accuse you of cowardice or somesuch is also good and makes them look like a complete jerk/idiot.

If someone else gets in the way of walking away from the arguement, politely asking them to move, then simply stand still until they do; of course the person who is argueing at you may come over then and get in your face, but wiping the spittle off your face and continueing with the raised eyebrow and slow silent head shake is good here too... gives you time to think about their arguement and how to shoot it down into about a zillion pieces too.

Mean what you say and say what you mean. You said no, you meant no, and whatever it is someone is trying to get you to do just won't happen unless YOU personally let it.

In this case that's Harry going on that date. I just don't see it happening, or if for some reason the older years force it somehow, I see Harry making the entire thing as unpleasant as possible for all involved making it seriously back fire on everyone. Also seriously painful ammo for future arguements; "The only way you could get a date is to make it a forfeit to a bet!".

Should it be that the older years are threatening things should he not go, then the old dead eye trick with the phrase "I see.." followed be continous silence on your part usually works. They aren't after your agreement by then but your surrender so it's pointless to argue. At this point it's time to act like a little automoton, robotic, do nothing unless directed BUT do EXACTLY as directed, blank face and thousand yard stare (let your eyes simply relax until vision is slightly blurry). They don't want you, they want a little robot they can control at this point so give them that.

The one and only time I got this far the person who was trying to control what I was doing got so frustrated at the whole thing they stormed off in a right snit.

Yeah... considering how negatively he already feels about Hermione due to the existing rivalry, then add in their ages and well... I can see this forfeit idea backfiring BIG time rather than actually bringing them together.

Harry: "I know what I bet and a forfeit was NOT a part of it so no, I will NOT be doing one."

Doesn't matter after that what anyone else says.

Oh, and that's not even taking into consideration that he didn't actually lose the bet. The bet was that it would take him more time to read the books than it took Hermione to read them. Given that there were several things that came up preventing him from doing any reading at all that wouldn't have effected Hermione's ability to do so, and in fact those known ahead of time were taken into account, and considering that Hermione is willing to change the consquences of the bet, it should therefore be perfectly reasonable to expect such events that were unknown at the start of the bet to also be taken into account.

Of course, had the others in the room agreed and that Harry was then given the time to finish the book and it was decided he had won, it may be that in winning the bet, the forfeit was for Hermione to go on a date with him rather than the other way around. Personally I'd say flat out that I have no interest in the other party doing a forfeit. Not only do you then win the bet, but people really start to ask themselves about the other persons character.

I've got various other senarios in my mind for how that missing scene might play out and have yet to actually think of one where the 'date' was actually at all successful either in getting him to go in the first place, or in the execution of said 'Date'.

Be interesting to read Hermione's thoughts about how badly the date went and just how much of a completely bad idea it was to force the issue.
Raven3182 chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
Wonderful. Simply wonderful. This chapter had a lot of the great comedy in it that had been missing for a little while. Hermione's point of view? Splendid. She'd never enjoyed i crushing/i anyone before. Wow, I had to re-read that line because at first I was sure that you simply meant "crushing on" or "having a crush" or something similar that one would expect from Harry Potter fan fiction, but this was so much better. And then having the two of them go out on a date as Harry's penalty? Marvelous. I loved it. Not actaully showing the date worked very well too; it let the reader infer whatever he liked about what happened. One or two more funny details would have been nice though...

The meeting with Draco to form their new evil orgainzation was excellent. "We're going to need better robes." "I was just thinking that." Marvelous! I loved it and I can't wait to see who joins the conspiracy next. My bet is that it will be Hermione once Draco finds out that blood doesn't matter. But perhaps you'll surprise me again.

Once again, I just have to complement you on your ability to write smart children as children. Harry, Hermione and Draco are all very smart, but they still come across as children, not as miniature adults. Fantastic work.

I eagerly await the next installment. Thanks for writing!
JMLuna chapter 21 . 5/17/2010
I understand that Rowling seemingly gave the wonderful character that was Hermione a lobotomy in the last two books but a magical scientific group without Hermione would be like the Rowling not having written the HP series with an angst ridden Harry.
badkidoh chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Yet another great chapter.

I"m looking forward to the next update.

Also great work on the Hermione/Harry romance but i do wonder about the date & what happen on the date.
embirsiphonelilathia chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
No Hermione, really you're secretly evil. Well not completely.

I loved Draco's lame ideas for their secret society thing, it's like he's trying to make harry into a dark lord or something, or he's just THAT unoriginal.. I'm trying to figure out who's writing to Harry and sending him things, but I'm hard pressed to sort through it.. I want to say it's Remus.. but I'll have to wait until we're given a bit more clues on the person itself.. mostly because another part of me thinks it's Harry from the future doing it .

I loved how you had Hermione rationalize her joy of crushing Harry into the fact that they were simply starting a romance and the rivalry was normal..
firedraygon chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Hahaha, oh gosh, how Harry's twisting everyone's world views is hilarious. I love Hermione as the 'Bad' girl and Draco trying to play publicist to his and Harry's future findings. The part about the Dark Mark is fantastic. Awesome work!

~fd97
Carolyn chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Reading The Methods of Rationality has been my reward each day for completing my to-do list for the day for a short while. Spectacular fanfiction-you're changing the world. (Now all the cool kids are clamoring to be a part of the Bayesian Conspiracy.) Via Harry Potter fanfiction. So that makes reality just as strange and unlikely as fiction.

Thanks for mentioning that you will be regrouping for a little while. I'll find some other form of mind-expanding entertainment with which to reward myself for a good day's work in the meanwhile.
SensiblyTainted chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
LOL! I kept giggling my head off when I read about Harry and Draco's meeting. The two eleven year olds were honoring the important tradition of children everywhere by forming a secret club! When Harry remarked about the needing robes and hoods, I about died laughing, despite hte ominous undertones. Especially when added to the overly dramatic setting. They are SO CUTE! So is Hermione! Harry hiding in his trunk for the end of the week was especially priceless. You combine such realistic portrayal of childhood with rather hard to grasp adult philosophies. It's quite brilliant!
Kageshimaru chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I find that every time I finish one of these chapters I start to whine to myself about how I want more to read. I don't look forward to the wait, but I very much do look forward to your next release.
everetza chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Nice chapter. You've got a good flow going and some good humour. Really enjoying reading this!
sliver of time chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Dam this is...wow. I really like it. I've got no idea if harrys good or quirells possesed or... a bunch of things. This story is awesome! Update soon
Xynth chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I read the page you linked in your profile to TVtropes. No wonder I can't keep up with you half the time...christ, I'm still in college, you're a professional researcher. I was starting to feel like a complete and utter idiot.

Anyways, another chapter of complete awesome. I loved the Bayesian mention, but is it Objective or Subjective? Both? Looking forward to seeing where you go with that. But it does fit the story excellently (as if you'd put in anything that didn't...).

Also, I love Harry/Draco partnerships (not pairing), with Draco brought to Harry's side through at least a semi-logical transition. I've never really bought the idea of Draco as a Big Bad, or even a leader of Mooks. He's always seemed like an extremely competent right-hand, who needs to be tempered in some of his more...zealous stances. Honestly, with every character introduced in canon, and who are talked-up by fanon, none of them match Draco for the sidekick position.

Anyways, review pane is starting to glitch up, so I'll leave off here. Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
pfeil chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Brilliant chapter!

Hermione's rationalization for her enjoyment is perfect. It reminds me of Agent Double-Oh Hex, and I look forward to seeing it develop. (Since I do think they could quite plausibly both enjoy it - though perhaps more so without the path of flower petals in future :P After all, they do share a number of values, so they could be compatible once they let themselves calm down a bit.)

I'm greatly amused by Draco's vision of a secret society.
ChipmonkOnSpeed chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Why bother writing a story if nobody gets tentacle raped? ...

Anyway, I like this story. I've really stopped reading fanfiction lately, because I just can't find decent stories that I would, you know, read. This chapter pushed it a bit for me, actually, because I don't usually like stories where the main character isn't the smartest/strongest/best, for some reason. That's just me, though.

Anywho, it's a pretty awesome story. I do hope it doesn't turn into a romance, though. Doesn't it seem like that would take something from the plot? I don't know, maybe I'm strange...

ChipmonkOnSpeed
Thom Blake chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
No! Now the canonical reference to the Bayesian Conspiracy for future historians will be a Harry Potter fanfic. The clown suits were pushing it, but this is just too much to bear.
KrisTerms chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Haha, cute ending.

And their uniforms should be something either like the coats scientists use or astronaut suits, just for fun. :)

I liked beginning with Hermione's POV.
WaxWings chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I am very happy to see that you are able to maintain a regular update schedule.

Hermione's rationalization is very funny and provides a reasonable alternative explanation for why she and Ron ended up together in canon.

Perhaps the best part of the chapter was the letter Harry wrote to his parents. I can relate to this.

I was one of those, that commented on the last chapter before reading the author's notes... Voldemort has indeed won, he seems to be unassailably immortal. Was the star view spell an actual view from the current location of the Horucrux? What is the conflict of the story if Voldemort cannot be killed?
Van the Rogue Soul Drinker chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Not a bad chapter, but how long until Harry starts kicking butt with the power of science and I really want to seem him put harry in her place showing Science conquers all. anyway I look forward to your next update.
TenshiReike chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
You get an impressive amount of reviews.

Great chapter and nice ending to Harry's letter :)
JoshuaZ chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
This chapter was well done. I was squeeing about how Harry was establishing the Bayesian Conspiracy, but then got slightly disappointed when the term was used explicitly which made the whole thing much less subtle. (Readers who haven't read the Bayesian Conspiracy stories which are also by the same author should go and do so. They are very worth reading also).

The Harry and Draco scene was extremely well done. The entire image of Harry as all dark and menacing over the date is hilarious.
E. M. Pink chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
...and I didn't manage to keep my promise. Sorry. This was all just too awesome.
deloriantimeizard chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
the harry/draco scene was good, but this chapter felt a bit off. Hermiones scene was a little rough
Ribbonseal chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
This is the most hilarious fanfic ever~! I love this version of Harry even though he isn't much like canon. It's quite well written too.

The end of this chapter was incredibly funny~ This fic brightens my day. _
hhrforeverhhr chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
loved it!
bakapervert chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
For all the talk about Harry is genius, he is kind of a sore loser here with big mouth and big words here.
Sarah chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
T_T I can't see where you're taking the next chapter.

Hermione Granger is adorable. Is she later going to be a part of their uuh, society? (I totally missed that reference.)

Thanks for sharing.
Computer Mad Scientist chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I came to this story after being informed that it is the best Harry Potter fanfiction ever and that I must read it. After doing so, I decided that I agree about the latter and consider the former to be very likely. I hope you continue to update as often as you have been doing or more often.

I particularly like how you manage to write Voldemort as intelligent (admittedly, I'm assuming that he had some ulterior motive when deciding to do the Dark Mark this time around) without him losing his inability to comprehend love or goodness, and how his charming sociopathy is actually directed at Harry when he has the chance.
Gabo 1602 chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Rape thermodynamics!
i chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I really wish this was a book, not a fanfic! So awesome and perplexing!
greywizard-dumblemort chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Is there going to be a timeskip at any point? I love epic length fics but this fic is never going to get anywhere if he's only just finished his first week at Hogwarts in chapter 21. If you keep going like this you'll have well over a hundred chapters and very little ACTUAL plot movement by the end of year one. You don't have to do massive time-skips but at times flashbacks can prove sufficient to fill in little gaps fairly adequately. Also, I'm surprised Harry doesn;t dislike the twins since someone with his way of thinking should see their random acts of 'pranking' the unsuspecting and undeserving as bullying.

Nice chapter though. I find your Draco Malfoy refreshing- I've never quite seen his character written this way and its oddly...fitting. Never really liked Hermoine much but it didn't detract from the quality of the chapter. I think my dislike stems from the fact that JK made her Harry utterly inept and unambitious at magic and totally dependent on Hermoine all the way up to and including the seventh book.

Anyways, keep up the good work. Looking forward to more of your interesting and unceasingly entertaining writing.
DarkHeart81 chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Heh... Harry moves fast. Only one week in and already dating Hermione. :-P I wonder if Harry will lose any more bets to her and be forced to go on more dates.
Loonynamelass chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I love the summary. :)

And I read your profile. Quirrelmort is already at Hogwarts, so who is coming? There are so many mysteries and subplots! I can't wait for the next chapter!
MaeSilverpaws1 chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Yup that was Harry's week in a nutshell. LOL
CeilingFan chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Heh. "We're going to need better robes, with hoods and so on -"

EVERYONE IS MY FAVORITE.
Majin Hentai X chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Well this is interesting deepening Hermione a twist of evil to make her more human. I always thought she was off in cannon, because no author can effectively write a character smarter than they are, and I believe while is the richest person in England she is intellectually above average.

I still wonder who is Harry's benefactor, it had better not be himself from the future. Although it could Dumbledore suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder that possibility is greater than zero yet less than 51%.
DoubleC chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Hermione pushes all definitions of awful. Quirrel is, at least, a baddie, it's his job. Hermione is a little girl, and I want to strangle her, slowly, viciously, with cutting, and in graphic detail.

No idea who's the unknown benefactor. I kind of thought, since the last time, it sounded a lot like a clever-ified!Sirius. Just the style of it. I'm really inclined to trust these notes, - if just because they sound right, and the important information and artifacts is freely provided in them, - even though such mysterious-ness is suspicious.

Wonder when Harry wakes up to see Quirrel's carefyl grooming of him for what it is... Want to see more Dumbledore, and Harry coming off on top of things. Really wish to see Hermione stomped into dirt.
Crazy-Physco chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
great chapter.
tatewaki2000 chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
An adorable ending.

That is your story. Adorable.

When it violates such norm (i.e. rape talk, faculty beating children, etc) people revolt.

Except maybe the ever-so-peculiar Dark Lord forum. Who have no idea what they prefer.

But back to the subject.

An adorable story.

And I will forever label it as such.

Thank you for the cute ending. It was liek totally Kewt. :3

Sincerely,

a reader
November 5th chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
*Cackles wildly*

That is all.
TTTTTTTTTTTT chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
The Draco-Harry conversation dragged on a bit, but appart from that a rather good chapter.
AngelForm chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Well I admit that Quirrelmort blindsided me but in my defence he acts utterly unlike any interpretation of mouldybutt I have ever read, he is actually both intelligent and smart. I missed the voyager hint because traditionally soul anchors don’t have any built-in protection, preservation charms was a far more obvious conclusion.

As you have undoubtedly read the benevolent overlords list I assume you know that the only difference between a good overlord and an evil one is their motivation.

I wonder what this version of Lord V was like at full power, almost everyone else is different to some degree. With the amount of convoluted intrigue going on he might not even be the Big Bad.

Amazing, it took Rinswind years to work out that the call knew where he lived (usually because it put him there in the first place), Harry works it out in a week.

Hermione seems to have neglected to consider that she might be dead wrong. This never ends well.

Cute letter.
Baughn chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
There's no tentacle rape. /I looked/.

And yet, I do not believe you'd lie. Which means it's just really well hidden, and.. oh, why on earth am I looking for it?

..there are a lot of things that are missing from the fic, that have been mentioned. I am slightly disturbed that the mention of tentacle rape would make you insert it.
Darth Drafter chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
So in his first letter home, he tells his parents that he met a girl. Mentioned her by name. This could cause him some distress, I think.
Madame de Victoire chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I loved it all and it's getting less confusing than previous chapters. And I bet the prophesy is about Harry; he's going to be doing alot of tearing it seems.
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
This chapter was fun as well, and as much as I enjoy some of the more humorous parts, I find myself missing the more serious interaction with Voldemort. Aside from that, the chapter was as good as usual, and I am seriously excited for Harry to learn occlumency. More accurately, I'm eager to see how you will structure its mechanics.
Tengokujin chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
WHY DOES THIS STORY GET BETTER WITH EACH... um... "chapter" doesn't really fit. Some of the chapters seemed more expository and disturbing and not just plain awesome. But... uh... IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER. There.
gwern chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Kudos for *finally* giving Hermione some screentime. But a Hermione who instantly jumps to thoughts of Romance strikes me as a little too Genre Savvy.

The conversation with Draco is a little overly didactic. It's not like we didn't read those talking points in (several) previous chapters.

Kudos also for taking into account the time turner for Harry's birthday. (And averting my planned triumphant comment here. :(

The Santa Claus letter is interesting. The writer seems to be unaware of the bargain struck in the previous chapter, but it's easier to fake ignorance than knowledge, so my theory is still that it's Quirrellmort. If it's not, then I'm confused. The inducement to break rules seems to rule out McGonagall, Dumbledore hasn't benefited from the first letter and so wouldn't send another, Harry's parents are out of the question, Sirius is AFAIK still in prison, Snape wouldn't warn him against all of Slytherin & similarly for Lucius, a future Harry would be more knowledgeable, so... I'm kind of stuck thinking of anyone with such intimate access to Hogwarts, knew James, knows the Weasley reputation, and distrusts Dumbledore. Remus Lupin? I look forward to seeing who SC turns out to be.

Would the students *really* not guess that the word starting with an 's' might be 'school'?

And standing amid the dusty desks in an unused classroom in the dungeons of Hogwarts, the green-lit silhouette of Harry Potter spread his arms dramatically and said, "This day shall mark the dawn of... the Bayesian Conspiracy."

Oh my stars. Be appalled, be amused... the options are endless.
Toki Mirage chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
WOOT! YOU UPDATED! XD Awesuum! I love how Hermione is kicking his a*s. Mweheheh
Arkeus chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
Fun.

Also, Harry is being really manipulated by Voldemort there.

Mmmh, i really wonder who is the letter sender. I guess it could be Harry, but...
kitiem3000 chapter 21 . 5/16/2010
I love it when Harry talks science. Very passionate.