Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ack1308 chapter 25 . 4/6
Oh dear.

Harry has challenged the Weasley twins to out-weird him.

Dis gunna be gud.
WildRosa13474 chapter 25 . 3/19
... You skipped act 3
Mysts of Time chapter 25 . 3/10
And harry...is also a dick. Joy. Well, it's very well written, I'll give this story that much. I'm just confused as to what in his past would lead to an evil harry. His past was fairly pleasant.
FirePhoenix86 chapter 25 . 1/31
I think this story is too dense for me right now. I love the whole science aspect, but being sick and trying to work a lot, not to mention the entire united States losing their minds right now, this one is just too much for me right now. I'll come back to it another time and finish it. :)

It is a great story and I definitely want to read more. It'll go in my To Read file as well as my favorites.
Rambling Drabble chapter 25 . 9/23/2016
1. Things just added to my list of science things to look up: Norman Maier and Robyn Dawes.
2. Ah, the twins. Always an excellent staple of this fandom, taken to a whole new level with this fic.
Helga chapter 25 . 9/21/2016
Hats off:)
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 25 . 9/18/2016
I really want to see what they come up with.
Guest chapter 25 . 1/30/2016
So instead of an ATA gene, wizards have an AMA gene: Atlantean Magic Activation
The Anguished One chapter 25 . 1/29/2016
Poor Rita Skeeter. Hats off to Fred and George for taking on the impossible task of trying to be better than Harry Potter at doing the impossible. From the looks of things, they achieved just that. I'm so excited for the fallout.
Montara chapter 25 . 1/22/2016
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 25 . 12/6/2015
I wonder what Quirrell will do to Skeeter... I'm sure it will be incentive and untraceable. Fred and George are awesome characters, I hope they show up more.
ShadowLDrago chapter 25 . 10/16/2015
Whenever those two start planning, BEWARE, things are about to get chaotic!
an angel of darkness chapter 25 . 9/20/2015
P. P. P chapter 25 . 9/13/2015
The sad thing is that Quirrell really was a Death Eater, and Quirrell really does want to groom Harry to be the next Dark Lord even though Harry's true plan is even more ambitious and ominous than that.
Zyxis chapter 25 . 8/13/2015
The Weasley Twins. ALL THE RIVALS. SO MANY RIVALS. I LIKE IT. You do it well. I can't wait to see what you come up with. You're brilliant. w
Concolor44 chapter 25 . 5/23/2015
Hmm. Fred and George ... thinking about the Ultimate Prank ... thinking about it HARD.

This can only end in tears ... for Rita Skeeter.
PA chapter 25 . 5/19/2015
Not sure what to say about this chapter, so just gonna start on the next one (a cop out, I know)
Village-Mystic chapter 25 . 3/22/2015
Some interesting ideas here about problem solving - and somewhat unexpected results, too.
4everfictional chapter 25 . 3/14/2015
And that is how Fred and George Weasley took over the world.
Jillian A.K chapter 25 . 3/8/2015
I was going to post this after Ch. 26, but I already reviewed that chapter. So:

I really hope Ginny was in on the joke, because that would make her awesome. Otherwise, if she really was pining over Harry like that, then she's an insult to women everywhere. Ok, not really an insult. I do know many young girls pine over celebrities. But I never did, and I would like Ginny not to fit the cliche also, especially because she gets bashed so often in fanfic already.

I always liked the theory that, in canon, it was the Weasley twins who sent Harry the singing Valentine in order to prank him and Ginny.

And upon reading The Very Secret Diary, By Arabella, (to be found on AO3) I made that my head-canon.

This is my long-winded way of saying, if you introduce Ginny into your story, please make her awesome.

Regards.
Krysania chapter 25 . 3/5/2015
I really love your story so far (and the science incorporated) but even if the compute program explanation stands (which already stretches it for me) the Atlantis explanation was beyond improbable, fishy, and most of all totally beneath Harry's logic/
I mean I could buy the secluded community explanation so far but why Atlantis? According the legend it sank long before recoded history- so could they speak Latin never mind English? I won't say the spells should have been in Greek (since Plato's is best and most detailed reference to this-that and some very obscure hints in ancient high civilisations in south america) Even if we take it that he repeated the legend shouldn't the spells then been Phoenician or from other middle east ancient languages as they were recorded as the first sophisticated civilisations?

More so shouldn't Harry think of these? Or his education steps only in science and he's totally ignorant (or even barely with the base) of philosophy or history?
Guest chapter 25 . 2/21/2015
neat foreshadowing with the map there.
hemerocallis chapter 25 . 2/17/2015
scientist - it works much better if the relevant allele is dominant rather than recessive.
scientist chapter 25 . 2/17/2015
Harry potter is missing something when he decides that it is just one allele that makes you a wizard. Anyone who has studied Mendelian crosses in the slightest would know that his theory does not explain how two wizards could produce a squib, as both would have to have 2 copies of the allele, and thus so would their child. I truly thought Harry (and the fanfic) could do better than that.
LauraDragon chapter 25 . 2/16/2015
O.o Mr. Flume is 2p! England. Except with chocolates. XD
TheButterflyComposer chapter 25 . 12/24/2014
Hmm?
So the magical computer thing was the solution?

Interesting. I'm uncertain as to whether o be satisfied or not that I got it or if you are just screwing with us...

I like that Fred and George worship the ground in front of Gryffindor. Seems like something they would do. I'm missing the bravery house, y'know? Never thought I'd miss Ron's Weasley's annoying dialogue...
irmgard.danzer chapter 25 . 12/13/2014
Firstly: HPMOR is great!

I just found a wrong comparison in this chapter:

You wrote:
"And just like a computer program wouldn't compile if you made a single spelling error, the Source of Magic wouldn't respond to you unless you cast your spells in exactly the right way."

Here the right comparisons:

Source of magic: fully compiled and functioning computer program.
Casting a spell in the right way: running the program with an input the program understands.
Casting a spell in a wrong way: the program doesn't understand the input and refuses working.
Irmgard Dnzer chapter 25 . 12/13/2014
Firstly: HPMOR is great!

I just found a wrong comparison in this chapter:

You wrote:

Here the right comparisons:

Source of magic fully compiled and functioning computer program.
Casting a spell in the right way running the program with an input the program understands.
Casting a spell in a wrong way the program doesn't understand the input and refuses working.

ecause the source of magic is compared to a functioning computer programme, and casting the spell is compared to pressing a button, this means, that casting a spell in the right way means giving the programme a valid input, or finding the right button to press :-)
N. E. Person chapter 25 . 11/12/2014
Your Fred and George are amazing. :)
thepkrmgc chapter 25 . 8/2/2014
yay for in medias res!, I cant wait to see what the weasly twins get up to
Jesper chapter 25 . 7/6/2014
About your comment of Harry not knowing of crossover, that sounds improbable if he knows about recombination at all. But hey, maybe he wasnt that interested in biology.
Guest chapter 25 . 7/2/2014
Ok. Well.

I really like this story. It's hilarious and interesting and awesome, but I just have one issue with it.

It's really sad. Harry's trying all these new things and discovering stuff and just generally being brilliant but there's only been about two good things happen to him. There has been a Taichung moment or two, but it does not mention 'Harry was happy'. Seriously, he's been taught a great number of lessons which are great but he really could use some time to just enjoy life.
Serenity de la Luna chapter 25 . 6/25/2014
You know?
I enjoyed this at first but now i'm not sure.
Maybe I should just give it another chance and just read the rest but... I can barely keep my attention on it if I don't like it and i'm just plain confused.

Harry's...insane and evil (to a certain dergree), Draco's just plain odd and naive, and Quirrell! Oh my god! I just don't know what to say about him.
Fast Frank chapter 25 . 5/24/2014
The senior employee is right for the wrong reason: Rotating the jobs allows all three employees to maintain proficiency on all three jobs, so the senior employee going on vacation is not a disaster.
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 25 . 5/17/2014
"Dear me," said the old wizard, "I do feel silly. And here I was expecting you might try to redeem the heir of Malfoy by, say, showing him true friendship and kindness."

"Ha! Yeah, like that would have worked."

The old wizard sighed. This was taking it too far. "Tell me, Harry. Did it even occur to you that there was something incongruous about setting out to redeem someone through lies and trickery?"

"I did it without telling any direct lies, and since we're talking about Draco Malfoy here, I think the word you're looking for is congruous." The boy looked rather smug.

The old wizard shook his head in despair. "And this is the hero. We're all doomed."

*nearly pees self laughing*
Guest chapter 25 . 4/2/2014
(Please note I haven’t read beyond chapter 25.)

I have a theory that most of the world’s population carries the “magic gene”, but it needs to be “activated” to be used, like by trauma of some sort. For instance, Neville finally had his magic activated when his uncle threw him out the second story window, and when Harry was being bullied, his magic would activate to teleport him onto roofs and such. Emotions are tied to magic after all, as explained in book 5. Of course, there’s a bunch of other factors besides emotional trauma, but I’m not a biologist and can’t explain everything without making this post a trillion times longer than necessary. I’ll just say that if you are aware of magic, you’re more likely to recognize some things you do are magic, which explains why there are many Half-Bloods but not many Muggleborns. I mean, who’s to say that when a parent lifts a two ton car off their child, that’s not some sort of magic? Other than J.K. Rowling...
Plot Error chapter 25 . 3/9/2014
There's an error in the plot - granted I haven't finished reading this chapter, wanted to share this before I forgot. It was such a small detail that you really could not have included it and the story will be the same, just with no plot hole now. Harry figures out that spells are like buttons "The ancient forebears of the wizards, thousands of years earlier, had told the Source of Magic to only levitate things if you said...
'Wingardium Leviosa.'"

Here's the problem. In the last chapter you wrote: "[Draco] needed to ask other portraits to help translating, English had changed a lot, but the oldest portraits had described first-year spells that sounded an awful lot like the ones they had now. "

This, coupled with Harry's earlier experiment with Hermione, about changing duration of syllables, sounds like you're saying you have to say the spell in exactly the right way for it to work, but according to Draco's findings, pronunciation, or rather the English language itself had changed, and the spells "sounded an awful lot the ones they had now" meaning they actually sounded different, making your point bunk. Maybe if I read further I'll see that Harry's assumptions are wrong, but if this was just the oversight of the author, I recommend taking out the little detail about spells sounding differently. Then again, the story's been so carefully written up to this point I'm willing to believe that small detail is very important. Either way I love the story, thanks for writing!
Grizzmon chapter 25 . 1/13/2014
Oh this is going to be simply wonderful!
CMVreud chapter 25 . 12/30/2013
Wonder that nobody ever got the idea of little armbands that say "What would Gryffindor/Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw/Slytherin do?".
z1dytd12901z7018273f18y2f31238 chapter 25 . 11/16/2013
Haha, this chapter was interesting. I like the Weasley twins in this story. How they've seemed to grasp onto Harry's incredible insanity and their reactions to it. I'm excited to read about what insanity they're going to cook up for Rita Skeeter in the newspaper and whether or not it's going to work. You know, even though this story has none of the original plotlines of the original Harry Potter books so far, it's got a lot of different interesting events, and I have to say, I like the plot almost as much as the old one! Actually, I like it just the same! I think they're both of the same quality, and both evoke suspense and interest within the reader.

Also, congratulations on the tone. I find that it changes from character to character, for example. Harry's tone is rather complicated and references to a lot of scientific studies because only he would know about it. Meanwhile, the tone used for characters and events from outside of Harry's perspective only resemble a normal person's point of view, and it shows confusion at Harry's antics. I think the tone for this story is really good, and definitely adds more to the story.
Netchka chapter 25 . 8/1/2013
Those boys are weird.
DaisyKitten chapter 25 . 7/8/2013
Impossible is an absolute. Nothing is "more impossible" than anything else. You can't do impossible things. If it happens then it never was impossible in the first place.
Anon chapter 25 . 7/3/2013
I love the twins :)
Guest chapter 25 . 6/30/2013
This is quite the idea, and this works well as a plot device. But...
What if there were magical symbionts that confer use and access to magic to their hosts? What about some kind of extremely slowly evolving provirus, perhaps one whose life cycle is synced up with the host? There would be a lot of details to work out, but it could be interesting. Just as easily debunked, but the great thing is that it can be taken wherever you want.
Typhado chapter 25 . 6/22/2013
While I am enoying the story so far I must say this should not be read while you are home sick with a head cold... my head is getting sore from trying to keep up with this.
Thestral's Wings chapter 25 . 6/21/2013
I personally believe that the most philosophically meaningful quote from this fic is the following: "Harry knew pi to 3.141592 because accuracy to one part in a million was enough for most practical purposes. Hermione knew one hundred digits of pi because that was how many digits had been printed in the back of her maths textbook."
Darren Jaguar chapter 25 . 5/28/2013
Hi! Some (hopefully) constructive criticism:

Am currently rereading this fic for about the tenth time (to read out loud to my girlfriend) and she noticed a possibility also overlooked by Harry in the previous chapters, one that I'd have thought would be the first on the list of his thought processes.

When you read a history book, there is more information about the winners than the losers, about the lords and kings than the peasants. As such, everyone in the modern Wizarding world would look back to Merlin, or the Founders in order to compare power levels, and in fact they DO (according to canon AND every fic I have read). This makes sense, as no-one will have recorded the peasants' power levels, or cared.

Now, imagine that we head to the year 3000. Who do we remember? Harry Potter, Albus Dumbledore, Tom Riddle, and we'll think "Oh, aren't today's wizards rubbish!". Except that History's natural modus operandi leads to us only learning about them, leaving the likes of Pansy Parkinson, Terry Boot, Lavender Brown, Mundungus Fletcher, Cormac McLaggen to the wayside, (witches and wizards who always seem to be very average whether canon or fanfic).

It's a terrible experimental mistake, comparing the best 1% of one group with the good and bad 100% of another, and Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres is a moron not to think of that, and should probably indeed go to Science Hell. I don't pretend to be very competent at comparison and study, but it's a rather glaring mistake in his judgement. Then again, it might be purposely written this way, so I'll leave it up to you.

Anyway, my girlfriend is enjoying, and I'm enjoying again again, so keep writing please :)
Musically,
Darren Jaguar
tgcgoddess chapter 25 . 5/16/2013
"I can't believe that Malfoy," Flume snapped. "Going after the boy when he's only eleven! The man ought to be ground up and used to make chocolates!" - No, I wouldn't allow it. The taste would be terrible. Can you imagine Lucius-flavoured chocolate-coated Malfoy? Ew. No one would buy it.
RussianDestruction chapter 25 . 4/25/2013
"(Back in the old days, whenever magical identical twins were born, it had been the custom to kill one of them after birth.)" OMG!
This whole thing with the Weasley twins on board to destroy Rita...I love it!
...and now I want to know about Kevin Entwhistle's cat. :O
petalene chapter 25 . 1/28/2013
I love this. Harry gave the Weasley twins a pile of money and told them to do the impossible. There are no words for how amazing this story is.
Death2Ignorance chapter 25 . 1/27/2013
im confused. is the interdict of merlin a law discovered by merlin (i.e. it has existed since before his time, and learning magic via text is itself impossible which he simply discovered) or was it some sort of 'curse' placed upon magic/wizards/words by merlin making it impossible for wizards to learn from texts, and either way is *all* magic unable to be learned via text? or are spells of 'X' amount of power and above only not learnable through books? can someone explain this to me?
BiblioMatsuri chapter 25 . 1/3/2013
...That explains so much about the Weasley twins. They practically share a mind. No, wait, hive mind, but there's only two, so - group mind?
StrangeoneXD chapter 25 . 12/18/2012
Interesting, magical thought connection huh?
1000Nachts chapter 25 . 11/7/2012
It's a dark day when the Weasley twins are worried about someone, and a younger Ravenclaw to top it, out-pranking them.
IdleSpeculation chapter 25 . 9/20/2012
I dismissed Harry' theory in a previous review, but it occurs to me he may be partially right. There could be a powerful AI at the source of magic. Magic follows wizards perceptions because the AI is programmed to implement magic as it is envisioned by the magic user. Thus transfiguration follows platonic idealism, broomstick flight follow Aristotelian physics, potions follows a "deranged version of thermodynamics", arresto momentum ignores the implications relativity/altered frames of reference, etc. because that is how wizards imagine the magic working and the AI implements the magic how they imagine it. On the plus side, If Harry get the opportunity to invent any spells, his spells will be more powerful simply because he actually understands how physics works and the AI would implement his spells in a more efficient manner. Also a plus, if the AI is powerful enough to bend time in a self consistent manner then it is unlikely the source of magic will fail anytime soon.
IdleSpeculation chapter 25 . 9/20/2012
Rereading Harry's theory on magic in light of the chapter title is quite humorous. In addition, if the theory I posted in chapter 78 is correct, Harry is shooting himself in the foot with every premature attempt he makes at explaining magic. Also, reading all the other reviews and wmg on TvTropes that that takes Harry's "source of magic" hypothesis as if it were already true is highly entertaining, again given this chapter's title. I hope Harry comes up with a better explanation, in light of the evidence he encounters in later chapters.
voodooqueen126 chapter 25 . 8/1/2012
avoiding tautologies.
Guest chapter 25 . 7/22/2012
Lol using the killing curse with love.
Satirica chapter 25 . 7/16/2012
I can't wait to see what's in store for Rita. She's an annoying character and I wish J.K Rowling had gotten rid of her...maybe in the same way she got rid of Umbridge. I was hoping they'd do something drastically evil to her (I wasn't really betting on it, though, because that's UN-logical and UN-adult), but feeding her faux rumors is a great alternative.
Kirinin chapter 25 . 7/10/2012
Your idea that one half of magical twins used to always be offed? Oooh. Creepy, but good. I like that you're presenting these characters as though they are literally different sides of the same coin, aspects of one whole person. :)

-K
Guest chapter 25 . 7/7/2012
The foreword in chapter 25... I knew it! I was surprised he didnt talk about crossovers, but that explains it :P Victory!
Ericd chapter 25 . 4/16/2012
"The line of reasoning continued: Atlantis had been an isolated civilization that had somehow brought into being the Source of Magic, and told it to serve only people with the Atlantean genetic marker, the blood of Atlantis."

Holy crap...I just had a Stargate moment...please...please tell me you have seen SGA and this isn't just a random coincidence...it matches almost perfectly.

Advanced Civilization on Atlantis...Made/Did Impressive Things...Can only be activated by people who carry a specific gene as they did, and was very uncommon. However they made it possible for someone without the gene to get it, which makes me wonder if that will come next in this story, Gene Modification in Muggles to give them Magic.
lunkwill chapter 25 . 3/17/2012
Chapter 25 continuity error: employees is three then two then three. The whole anecdote is pretty garbled, actually.
To die upon a kiss chapter 25 . 3/4/2012
I will take great glee, but not vindictiveness, in correcting one mistake in this chapter: actually, more DNA codes for traits than for protein synthesis; only 5 percent of DNA in the human body actually codes for proteins.

Booyah!

I am mostly absolutely sure that the above is true, although if I look at it pessimistically, then I will be wrong and will be worthy of ridicule.
GP chapter 25 . 2/29/2012
I think that a better way to explane the whole 'you can't just make the anser up' thing to draco would have been to do this

'it's like on a test. if the answer is progeto, then it is and it can not ever be avada kedava ,no matter how much you argue.'

i think that would have made more 'sense' to a wizard(and my younger sister).
The Blind One chapter 25 . 2/26/2012
Oh yeah, the out-of-chronological-order bit. I saw the "Act 3" heading the last chapter and forgot to comment on it.

It just occurred to me that I'd been trying something like this (the genetics of magic) in a piece of original fiction long before I ever heard of this fic. I should dig that up and work on it some more. (Coincidentally, I also came to the conclusion that animals with certain genetic similarities to humans should share their abilities to some extent. Cladistics is *fun.*)

"Actually there were quite a lot of boys and girls staring off into space. It was the /Ravenclaw/ table, after all." *snort*

"Levers pulled in some hidden and more complex machine." So, friendly AI, perhaps? That would seem to be the only facet of Author Appeal that we haven't had yet. How exactly the friendly AI managed to essentially hack into reality is another question, though.

"What method had the Dark Lord used?" Harry *really* ought to look into that. His reaction when he figures out the relevant points is going to be absolutely hilarious.

I'd forgotten this little byplay with Crabbe. Must keep the minions acting properly miniony, after all.

No, Dumbledore, actually you'd be pretty nigh doomed if your hero were *not* clever and prone to gambits like this.

Aaaiii, why can't we know what the errors on the map are? I like the theory that the intermittent error is time-turned Harry, but he hasn't been traveling today. (I guess it could be Millicent, or another student with a time-turner, but I've got a feeling it's something more relevant than that.) I've also seen the other one explained as confusion over the name assigned to the Quirrell-body, but there *could* also be a Horcrux walking around Hogwarts that registers as a name.

I always did wonder how four school-aged kids managed to make something that would track literally everyone. I like the idea that they exploited the existing security - that makes more sense than anything else. On that note, people seem convinced that Slytherin was responsible for the original warding of the school, what with the repeated "keying the basilisk in at a higher level" thing. Hmm.

"Back in the old days, whenever magical identical twins were born, it had been the custom to kill one of them after birth." Nice touch, that - realistic, and a nice indication of the Dark Ages-ness of the wizarding world.

"Ground up and fed to pet snakes"/"ground up and used to make chocolates." Heehee.

I notice that Madam Bones' young assistant has no specified gender.

"I cannot deny myself the pleasure of simply crushing you." *facepalm* Quirrell, your deviousness is showing.

"They had not been profiteering criminals, just providing a public service." Have I mentioned that I really, *really* like the twins? Your nearly-one-mind interpretation of them never fails to bring a grin to my face.
rv1753 chapter 25 . 2/1/2012
Overall the fic is fantastically well done there is really only one thing that i can find fault in and that is that the characters dont really behave like the children they would be in terms of attitude and behavior. While this is somewhat mitigated by the upbringing of harry and draco and the extreme intelligence of hermione its still pushing belief some but not nearly as much as can be seen in similar stories. I did feel that the intelligence of harry was actually extremely well done while it does fall far outside the normal range its not so much so as to be completely impossible also it is wonderful to see harry still stymied by certain characters and situations and not just become an all powerful genius. Also the part which I find the most enjoyable is that harry does have intelluctal equals in draco and hermione even though he is familiar with thoughts/conceptions that are foreign to the others they are shown to be fully as capable as he once they familiarize themselves with the ideas harry brings and both even have areas where they are better than he creating a much more balanced and believable story.
NormalAnomaly chapter 25 . 10/13/2011
This is my third time reading this chapter, and I *just now* consciously recognized the oblique reference to Aumann Agreement. Wow.
Kuna Yashmaa chapter 25 . 10/12/2011
:) I think the easiest way to find out if a single locus is responsible for magic inheritance is to check if Hermione's parents are both squibs. If not, then check if they are her parents. If they are muggles and her parents, then the mechanism is more complicated. If they are not her parents...
Capitalz chapter 25 . 9/23/2011
A few (and also the first) problems I've found:

1) Harry assumes that because Magics is hereditary, it must be passed by some key DNA marker, when in fact, it could be something entirely unique.

2) Malfoy makes a reference to the Wizard version of 'Death Note', in which his father tells him that all the mistakes are due to the playwrights stupidity. This is one possibility, the other being that the Arkwright was trying to entertain us with a good story (though, this could be the reason Lucius said that).

3) Harry constantly assumes that the science he knows is flawless, even when confronted by a world that makes absolutely no sense to him. Clearly, all scientific theories would need to be completely revised before he could trust them (though, again, you have a story to tell).
AR chapter 25 . 9/21/2011
It is extremely humbling to read a reference about psychology...especially organizational psychology and then not completely grasp it.

I/O was a self taught module..

point is..I liked how you shifted the acts. Amusing and make me anticipate the finale all the more..great writing technique.

(oh and I read the reviews of the previous chapter. Death Note after all...you're awesome. And Gargoyles too...well rounded and witty. Brilliant!)
ajgrovery chapter 25 . 9/10/2011
Did anyone else think that wizarding ability may be dictated by the allele of the wizard gene?

Its fairly basic genetics and seems to explain why there are some naturally powerful wizards
Megan McAlistair chapter 25 . 8/29/2011
sounds like Stargate to me

(ATA-gene anyone?)

"There. Now everything was going according to plan."

Harry is bein crazy AND considerate

Crabbe likes talking that way because it is most comfortable to him

oh Harry

"And this is the hero. We're all doomed."

Dumbledore is so meta

"it had been the custom to kill one of them after birth"

barbaric and pointless

"The man ought to be ground up and used to make chocolates!"

it would be sold out by the end of the day... fangirls

"just stood still while the street shifted around them."

actually, I have a theory about that

"All right, then -"

"- let's think about it."

foreboding so much hilarity and awesomeness

oh god, my reviews are getting longer and less... "I NEED to tell him"-like
The Prince of Mathematics chapter 25 . 7/23/2011
I supposed, perhaps incorrectly, that one of the submitted hypotheses (for the "disappearance of magic" concept from the previous chapters) might be simple nostalgia for the past or retelling of history-as established, of course, by Marx and Derrida.

Apparently not. Most unfortunate.
Triangular Reasoning chapter 25 . 7/19/2011
Amazing stuff. As a bio student I have to wonder if Hermione's prowess in magic despite being Muggle born is going to be explained in the same way two blonde parents can have a dark-haired child (the proper term escapes me).

Great stuff so far, am intimidated and impressed by the sheer number of reviews this fic has.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 25 . 7/17/2011
Weird that they think the Marauder's Map was created by someone before the Marauders since I thought it would say on the map that they created it (and Lupin said that in the books too, didn't he?) Not sure if they think that or it is really part of the story that someone else made the map.

Anyway can't wait to see what the Twins end up doing!
Joel chapter 25 . 7/6/2011
I wish you would stop trying to explain the genetics. It is really getting difficult to read. You are clearly not a geneticist. For instance:

"If magic had been like that, a big complex adaptation with lots of necessary genes, then a wizard mating with a Muggle would have resulted in a child with only half those parts and half the machine wouldn't do much. And so there would have been no Muggleborns, ever. Even if all the pieces had individually gotten into the Muggle gene pool, they'd never reassemble all in one place to form a wizard."

I think you are completely neglecting not only positive selection, but many other genetic mechanisms in these explanations (such as meiotic drive and others). Its getting tiresome to read genetic explanations that do not conform to what we know about genetics at all. You state that all this science is correct. It is not. Furthermore the proof offered in favor of mendelian inheritance is not a large enough sample, is anecdotal, and does not even consider the underlying DNA sequence in its assumptions. This pattern can be explained by a number of other (equally likely) possibilities which you did not consider. Therefore, it is not the most probable explanation. It is a convenient one. These are key assumptions that cannot be overlooked when studying genetics. I hope this does not continue. Again, these oversights are making your character extremely inconsistent and it is becoming difficult to keep reading.
Mezzavia chapter 25 . 6/10/2011
Oh 8D; I should've expected the genetics problem to be brilliantly solved. Note to self: use your brain.

Fred and George 8D! *cheers* Someone should make a fanclub at Hogwarts!
Rationally Procrastinative chapter 25 . 5/30/2011
Fact: The Marauder's Map (MM) has two anomalies: one intermittant, one permanent.

MM Speculation 1: One of those is Peter Pettigrew, who is running around playing Santa Claus. "Santa Claus" knows many secrets (he is described as such), was a close friend of the Potters (described as such; how he got the cloak), is clearly looking out for Harry (self evident; still a friend of the Potters), and can get around undetected (animagus, experienced with the Marauder's Map, plus experienced wizard). All of these fit nicely for Pettigrew. [Idea developed independently, but I know TVTropers played with it also.]

Follup up to MM Speculation 1: Sirius Black knows this and is actually keeping this secret. The scene that got Sirius arrested, as well as the Weasly rat fiasco, could have been engineered to throw suspicion off of Pettigrew. This follow-up runs into the difficulty that someone betrayed the Potters and it was likely one of these two, in which case Sirius would not be keeping the secret. However, other suspects exist. Or, as TVTropers suggested, perhaps Sirius and Pettigrew switched.

MM Speculation 2: Quirrel (or whoever he is) actually did store his mind in the second Pioneer probe. Many, many hints that are consistent with this. However, since Quirrel is the most practical character, he actually made several storage containers and can move among them. His purported body is just one of such and when he is away his body is a zombie or perhaps a remotely-manipulated drone. This is the intermittant anomaly in the Marauder's Map: when Quirrel is 'in body' he shows up on the map, otherwise not. [Idea developed independently, but I know Tropers played with it also.]

MM Speculation 3: Time-looped individuals do not show up on the Marauder's Map! There are at least two and possibly three individuals using a Time Turner inside Hogwarts and yet the Weasly twins do not say two (or three) intermittant anomalies _plus_ oddities such as Santa Claus and Quirrel. Now, the question is, which version of a time-turned individual shows up?
Brian Ballsun-Stanton chapter 25 . 3/1/2011
Building on my prior review of this chapter, I've started a community biblography for HP:MoR over on Mendeley, and I think I've added the Maier reference. Hopefully this will help some others as well.
Brian Ballsun-Stanton chapter 25 . 2/23/2011
I believe the study you reference in this chapter is "Problem Solving and Creativity; In Individuals and Groups" by Maier. Is this correct?

As I'm not only citing HP:MoR in my dissertation (using the quote about Deep Wisdom in my conclusion) but some of the ideas expanded, I'd love a running "works cited" on your author's notes.

Thanks again for the excellent work.
ARMH chapter 25 . 2/22/2011
Poor Quirrel. It looks like maybe in the end it is the Weasley's fault that Rita dies, seeing as Quirrel kills her for what she writes and the Weasley's make her write it.
nth-x chapter 25 . 1/13/2011
So, I found myself re-reading this for the first time, and have noticed a few things that didn't stick with me the first time I read through. The one I want to mention is the way in which the Weasley Twins use Godric Gryffindor.

It's plain to see that they've built up this false image of him in their minds that is basically a reflection of themselves, and that they use this image to explain some or all of their actions to themselves. Maybe it is similar to Harry's "dark side", in that they are basically identifying a part of themselves with this alternate persona.

In any event, I really like the way they use Gryffindor as their model of pranking and behavior. Likewise their near deification of the marauders as some ancient and powerful sect. I work with teenagers for a living, and I can totally see them behaving in exactly this way.

As always, your fic is thought-provoking and extremely enjoyable. Thanks for writing!
lukya chapter 25 . 1/10/2011
DISCLAIMER: this is definitely not 'A well rounded critique'.

CHAPTER 25. Hold Off on Proposing Solutions:

Harry Potter is lecturing 'Weasley Twins'? *FACEPALM* C'mon Weasley twins are the soul of the Harry potter series. No ones better than them at pranks. I mean NO ONE. not even a rationally thinking scientist. ( I would rather you show harry being 'nerd sniped' by weasley twins).

Anyways...

I have just started reading your series. And I am enjoying it quite a lot. But it kills a Harry Potter fan when you put in stuff like that. Like, Harry pwned Dumbledore. I could digest that but WEASLEY TWINS? Seriously? Why are you so hell bent on making Harry better than EVERYONE.

I understand I shouldn't be comparing your characters with the original characters. Probably this review is completely useless. But i had to write it.
Tangshou chapter 25 . 1/4/2011
Nice re-ordering of the acts. It works well here. From reading the comments it seems some readers didn't notice that act 3 is the previous chapter and think it is just missing.
w chapter 25 . 12/26/2010
Good things:

"Harry might not be done with this problem by the time he graduated Hogwarts. He could still be working on this problem when he was thirty years old. Hermione had been right, Harry hadn't realized that on a gut level before. He'd just given an inspiring speech about determination.

Harry's mind briefly considered whether to get on a gut level that he might never solve the problem at all, then decided that would be taking things much too far."

""I can't hear you," Harry said. "You're not speaking properly."

Weasley brothers.

_Why_ does Q care about RS's article enough to want a retraction? Given the quality of journalism here, it'd be far more reasonable to ignore it whatsoever.

The explanation about discussing and proposing the solutions.

Yes, yes, we all know the Act 3 is missing. I hope it'll be presented explaining a lot around chapter 625.
SgtElmo chapter 25 . 11/30/2010
I can honestly say that this story is a total mindfuck. (Y)
A Common Hero chapter 25 . 11/16/2010
I retract my previous statements that Harry had not considered all the possibilities. It is now clear that those were premature.

Not to mention the idea of magic itself being sentient veers close to creationism. Which is something I find revoltingly stupid, albeit on a personal level that really is based more on faith than evidence.

So why would I suggest something simillar? That magic had an intelligent design?

Maybe because I'm sleep deprived from trying to finish this story in one go. Worse, now I have to read more, because Fred and George are always awesome, you're awesome, and you're awesome at writing Fred and George.

Darn you.
sidhe3141 chapter 25 . 11/3/2010
One possibility Harry overlooked that I find more likely than "knowledge is disappearing": Defy the observation. The reason no one can match the legendary feats of Merlin and the Founders is because those feats are ilegends/i.
A humble Fan chapter 25 . 10/30/2010
Oh, my. Well you made my life miserable enough by just writing this awsome piece of literature and thus destroying my everyday life entirely. Now you even did an achronal chapter, with six acts, but the third is missing. I hope you can imagine how I felt, when I was through with this chapter, not believing my brain, for it could not have missed an act. I had do recheck the entire chapter which took me a considerable amount of time, using my e-Reader. I hope, the thrid act contains Information of how exactly the Weaslies pulled that stunt of theirs, and that it will be contained in a later chapter. So far, this novel was incredibly relieving (I do not know how often I despaired over Rowlings Harrys stupidity when I read her books).

I will keep on reading an give another review after the last chapter.

My regards,

a humble fan of yours.
Indigo Ziona chapter 25 . 10/24/2010
Fabulous. I was once writing a story - sadly lost my laptop and therefore, it - where Harry had been sorted to Slytherin for various Potter mythos related reasons, and he started a prank war with the Weasleys one Christmas. Unfortunately I never got any further, so I can't tell you how it ended and who won :)

"Ha! Yeah, like that would have worked."

That's somehow wonderful - of course, it's lovely to believe in the magical power of human goodness but often it's a bit more complicated than that. There are stupid romances where the woman spends ages pining for the man (or vice versa) and eventually he(she) realises the wonderful person who was there all along. Actually, for that matter, Christians are told to be good and kind to people to show them Jesus. At best, this just shows that some individuals happen to be good and kind, but at worst it looks like they are trying to appear good and kind in order to win souls... the other sad thing is there are (in any religion or group of people, not just Christianity) always the bastards who are in it for themselves - it is very hard to convince people that your religion makes you good when it appears to make other people bad. Not saying that people shouldn't be good and kind, just that goodness and kindness should be used as ends unto themselves, and also to hopefully make some more goodness and kindness in the world :)

Sorry, bit of a tangent, there, but your writing is very thought-provoking.

"Ron had told them about Harry being weird and evil, and Fred and George had decided to save Harry by showing him true friendship and kindness"

Oh Gryffindors!

"Miss Skeeter," said Quirrell, "I had hoped to find some lever that would prove persuasive. Yet I find that I cannot deny myself the pleasure of simply crushing you."

Hoping this means what I think it means :)

"Starting out by looking for solutions was taking things entirely out of order. Like starting a meal with dessert, only bad."

I love 'only bad', because it really is sometimes good to start with dessert; also I think I will remember this now :) I think the real problem with 'thinking outside of the box' or 'blue sky thinking' is that people are often encouraged to blurt out answers, so it ends up either just nonsensical or really just the same boring ideas as ever. Likewise, the place I used to work was trying to come up with a proper name for itself and people kept bringing names forward, but I don't think people wanted to be negative and object, and eventually they ended up with a name-by-committee that I personally didn't like.

A Quaker friend told me that Quaker business meetings are constructed in the same manner as unprogrammed worship - ie. silence is kept until someone is moved to speak. He claimed that things were done better this way. I sometimes think he had a point.
room 101 chapter 25 . 10/20/2010
thank you so much for this story! I went to school with Jost Migenda and we did some translations of fanfics together, so I will also thank him for finding your story. This seems just like the right thing to read for a person who has a cat called Schroedinger and rats named Charme and Strange. I hope this story will succeed in showing some people, who are not used to it, the beauty and power of rationality as well.

People often question my rationality because I study Theology but they forget that science has to work with the hypothesis that there is no god (which became dogma somehow) while contrariwise a Theologist works with the opposite hypothesis. And it requires rational discipline as well if not so even more.

I will continue reading your story for I like not only your way of presenting rationality but also how you play with the reader' expectations (especially letting Quirrel hand over Bacon's diary instead of Voldemort's was simply great!)

than you again

room 101
Kutta chapter 25 . 10/10/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 25 . 10/7/2010
Excellent chapter.
Nakedkali chapter 25 . 10/6/2010
This time we have author names but not article names. While it doesn't fit the narrative, Enquiring Minds want to know and may need a little help figuring stuff out.

Kvein Entwistles' cat; is this like the Incident at the Potion shop?
Eli Courtwright chapter 25 . 10/2/2010
This chapter has a lot to recommend it, but my favorite thing was the reoccurring theme of the people in Gryffindor believing that you save someone by showing them true friendship and kindess:

They'd only started calling it the Order of Chaos in order to recruit Harry Potter, after Ron had told them about Harry being weird and evil, and Fred and George had decided to save Harry by showing him true friendship and kindness.

The fact that both Dumbledore and the Weasley twins independently come up with that strategy always makes me laugh.
tadrinth chapter 25 . 9/7/2010
Are we ever going to find out what happened with Kevin Entwhistle's cat?
InuYasha's God sis chapter 25 . 8/29/2010
Particularly loved this chapter. Fred and George moments are meant to be shared and you have shared quite splendidly!

Is Ron going to continue being a prat and remain out of the story?

~Yasha's Sis
DoubleC chapter 25 . 7/3/2010
The twins are winsome, and it's lovely to see some Good and relatively normal (so far, at least...) characters. I do hope they don't turn out to be likeeveyone else in this story, for it's getting tiresome, how *everyone's* manipulating everyone for some, undoubtely, nefarious ends.

Can't say anything on the science part. Some of Harry's reasoning I fail to grasp, his conclusions leave lots of questios, so I'll just wait and see where it goes. No idea.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 25 . 6/30/2010
Jack: no one's claiming the author's an ACTUAL racist that I've seen?
aaronmicalowe chapter 25 . 6/29/2010
I'm a hippy from the 60's that doesn't get all this jazz emotion man!
T.T chapter 25 . 6/24/2010
Please update, I am pining away...
James Bidsong chapter 25 . 6/24/2010
*Laugh* Aye. Ooh. Yay. Awesome.
Swurt chapter 25 . 6/16/2010
I really don't like how the separate parts of this chapter are out of chronological order.
ejhawman chapter 25 . 6/15/2010
Now Harry is starting to use his human resources properly. How long before he discovers Skeeter's Animagus form? Or before he accidentally gets her discovered/killed?

Nice change of pace, randomizing the narrative flow, but that trick is no longer novel.

Genetics was never my field; all the talk of how magical genetics might work is a bit dense, and I'm not as young as I used to be; it takes a while to get through. I suppose it would have been much simpler if Squibs were simply Muggles born to magical parents, rather than slightly magical enough to use Floo communication, see Dementors, etc. More of Rowling rushing ahead without figuring the implications. Can't really blame her for not having experts on genetics to advise her, I guess.
solussword chapter 25 . 6/15/2010
I started reading this story two days ago and you have, in a single story, told me everything I ever wanted to know about scientific theory. I understand you didn't write this story just for the sake of telling people what to think, but it has helped me a lot in understanding how I should look at problems I don't understand, and later on solve them.

That I'm taking advice from fanfiction writers might elude to another problem I have...
Animekitty47 chapter 25 . 6/15/2010
rofl

You posted this story out of order! Any particular reason. Ok...let's see, Act One- cute. XP

Act Two, amusing. :D

Act Four, awesome! XD And interesting. So that's why teachers always want to to brainstorm instead of just picking the first thing that occurs to you and calling that your topic/answer. Why does no one ever spell things out? *rolls eyes*

Act 5- Nice theory for why the Marauder's Map exists. Very interesting indeed...

Act 6-

Huh. Hmmmmmmmmmm. So, Harry's got multiple plans in the air again, huh?
David Brin chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Terrific series, subtle and dramatic and stimulating. I liked especially hearing the vocal rhythms of Maggie Smith.

I loved the references to Yoda. Eliezer gets it, and lots else.

Please notify me when there's more!

With cordial regards,

David Brin

.com
Arwen Amorita chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Oooh! What a great chapter! I can't wait to find out what the Weasley twins come up with for making things surreal!

By the way, with Harry's current theories on magic, how would he explain accidental magic since he believes that something won't levitate unless "wingardium leviosa" is said (and said properly)?
Guest chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
excellent story so far... its interesting to see all the CS references. I like this Harry... Shame he didnt solve P vs. NP earlier... I really thought he was onto something ] I could read this for 7 books keep it coming
Always-Underrated chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Oh dear. I hope Harry realizes what he's unleashed on the Wizarding world. Because this just can't end well, no matter how you look at it. :D Can't wait to see what they come up with!

I agree with Draco: Harry is a total mental case. He needs to act NORMAL sometimes, if only to keep from being noticed by the Bad Guys.

On another note, is Harry going to write his parents soon? I haven't noticed him doing that yet, and you'd think they'd be worried... Or maybe you just didn't think to mention it. Eh, never mind then.

Love the chapters, as per always.
Dureth chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Oh, beautiful.
TBooki chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Poor Skeeter isn't going to know what hit her...

Another excellent chapter! I'm glad your putting in some twins action... I love those guys!

Looking forward to more!
BobaFett.Jr chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Don’t you find it odd how few recreational or extracurricular activities there are at Hogwarts? The only ones mentioned in the books are chess, Quidditch, gobstones, and exploding snap. Students not obsessed with academic performance would be bored out of their minds after only a few weeks, and having hundreds of bored magical teenagers is a very bad idea.

One of my friends mentioned that some boarding schools don’t allow radios, but a pessimist might claim that Dumbledore and/or the Ministry want to control of information and have people dependant on the Daily Prophet newspaper. The headquarters of the Wizarding Wireless Network is in Hogsmeade Village.

In the movie adaptation of “the Prisoner of Azkaban,” Snape used a project to illustrate the DADA discussion on werewolves. It might be possible for Harry to modify a muggle movie project to show films at Hogwarts, the first step in a plan to eventually introduce the wizarding world to television and the concept of a large-scale entertainment industry. A focused Lumos and animation charms would allow a movie project to function without electricity.

As a favor to Draco, Harry could use a modified movie project to show him clips of NASA rocket launches and Neil Armstrong’s landing on the Moon.
Alex Mennen chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
from the author's notes:

"I may have to rule that this was an attempt at deliberate reverse psychology and refuse to be manipulated by it, though. Let's all hope."

Hrm, sounds like rationalization to me.

"(Actually, Ronfar points out that it should not be done unless it is awesome. That settles the issue. Thank you, Ronfar!)"

There we go; the real (and much better) algorithm.
Not-A-Spy chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Oh man, whatever Fred and George think of will have to be so awesome to live up to this chapter. BTW, I love this story.
Poknok chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
I wonder if the author knows which song Quirrell was whistling, and if it happens to be a song by four British fellows who might have been popular around the time you-know-who was tramping around the Muggle world.

I also wonder if there is a word for when a phrase appears to be metaphor, but is actually literal. I don't mean the phrase "literal metaphor", but some word that includes the connotation of obfuscated meaning. I feel like there should be, but if there is then I don't know it.

In any case, people like to see a man who enjoys his work, and I think that does double duty here with Quirrell. For it to be credible to us readers that Harry likes Quirrell, I think we have to kind of like him, too, and this little snippet helps us along that path. It certainly helped me like him more, and without compromising his character.

Act 6 is for everybody who ever rooted for H. Lecter.

Going back some chapters, I wonder if there was something useful in the foodstuffs left by Quirrell for the HP after the "how to lose" encounter. I mean magically useful to a Dark Lord, not chemically useful to HP's metabolism.

I also like the two notes that Harry has received so far, specifically because their author(s) are ambiguous to HP, as well as to us the readers. It lets us know that a twist is en route, without spoiling what the twist actually is.

Er, back to Chapter 25, it's a small thing, but shouldn't it be "the left sleeve of his robe" rather than "the sleeve of his left robe"? The latter sounds like he has a pair of robes with one sleeve each rather than one robe w/ two sleeves.

In any case, lovely stuff, look forward to the rest of it.
Shally-wa chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
So there's a difference between Muggles and Squibs? I never really thought about it that way... only that Muggles were nonmagical people of nonmagical heritage, and Squibs were nonmagical people of magical heritage. My main personal views on the genetics and genomics of magic are that either there are more possible ways to become magical than not (read: more spontaneous mutations will occur in the direction of "magical" than the reverse) or that magic is a recessive trait (read: all wizards/witches carry two copies of the magical gene, Muggleborns can arise by a Mendelian cross of two nonmagical heterozygotes, spontaneous mutations, or a combination of the two; while Squibs can only arise by spontaneous mutations in the magical gene), but all of this is just working off a focus on the fact that Muggleborns are significantly more common than Squibs. The latter is probably more likely, now that I think about it, when one considers the low baseline numbers of the Wizarding population - if magic was a relatively easy to-induce and/or dominant trait, the Wizarding world would be a whole lot larger.

The Atlantean explanation of why spells are that complicated is ...interesting. I don't particularly like the idea of the magical world existing by design (plus, Atlantis is way overused), but it would explain some of the quirks about why the universe works just /that/ way.

Also, DAMN everyone is Machiavellian.
Celestial Moonwalker chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Act 3 isn't here yet and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you spring up at us.

More impossible than Harry Potter? Unlikely, but (probably) possible.

As impossible as Harry Potter? Give me a moment to appreciate the sheer magnitude of Chaos in their wake... Yes, quite. Absolutely wonderful. I hope they can manage.

I was suddenly seized by the thought of Harry meeting Luna. Yes, it's far off, if ever. But if they get on well enough... My brain refuses to formulate a comprehensive description to put into words. Let's just say a shiver of thrill and horror ran down my back. Things are only impossible until they are not, yes?
MrRobertsIII chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Love your wonderfully weird fic.

"Ha! Yeah, like that would have worked.

-Made me laugh
MiiRsEnd chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
I am itching to find out what the twins are going to do.

Nice work.
Wolfric chapter 25 . 6/14/2010
Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
deloriantimewizard chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
loved the new chapter. can't wiat to see what the twins cook up
TsuQ chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
rodrigo Black Potter chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
It's late and I have to go to sleep, sol I'll just say that the story remais awesome! and that harry is creating quite a bit of Orders, and groups and playing a lot of games and plots simultaniously, and altough many of them are just different approaches of the same problem, it's bound to tangle up, wether in the narration(it gets confusing for us) or in the story(it gets confusing for him[they]). Cheers for you!
dogbertcarroll chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Loved it!
Eclipse1234 chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
The chapters are turning out to be steadily more and more technical. I'm a freshman highschool student, and I am really having difficulty reading this. Well, understanding it, actually. I'd like to read on, I really would, but I'm afraid I'm being left behind. Maybe I'll read this again when I'm a bit more learned in all the things you mention in the story.
hi chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
awesome, very much looking forward to the next chapter.
Hebi R chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Dumbledore was acting unusually sane in Act 1.

Otherwise...*full on EvilLaughter*
DarkHeart81 chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Heh... Should be fun seeing Skeeter crushed like a...well...like a beetle playing the part of a speed bump for a car. :) lol Though I guess it won't be quite that bad.
KGB chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Draco and McGonagall... Draco becomes a cat animagus (or gets transfigured). They encounter some catnip, they get to it. Draco thinks the benefits outweigh the costs. McGonagal doesn't believe in one night stands and feels guilty, which provides Draco with an in... etc. Didn't take me more than 5 seconds to come up with... That probably doesn't say anything good about me.

If you feel intellectually challenged to write about a ship, you could always make an omake at the end of the chapter or in a separate document.
HazelWolf1111 chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Well, I've finished chapter 25 and I'm only more frustrated. GAAAAHAHHAHAHHHHKALSJ MLCEKJMSKSEMKCNKJLK!

... also, update again soon.

~Hazel
EchoElizabeth chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Enjoyable chapter! I liked the interaction between the twins - they are enjoyable characters, and you do them justice. I also loved seeing someone able to say NO to Harry. I'm curious about Crabbe now. I've always been of the opinion that boys THAT stupid wouldn't be in Slytherin. I like the implication that there might be something more to the Crabbe and Goyle show.
Hikari Daeron chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
I was just about to click on the 'next chapter' arrow and then I realized...

THERE ARE NO MORE CHAPTERS.

I CAUGHT UP TO THE END OF THE STORY.

...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I have to ponder this devastating cliff hanger of awesome. Aka, wait till more chapters come out. Gaaaah. T_T

I won't ask you to update soon because I can imagine how difficult this is to write. Instead, I wish you happy writing, and I'll be very, very excited when the new chapter does come out.
freeman chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
wwggd? awesome!
Aloril chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Better than original. Finally scientific study of magic. I'm quite interested in seeing what you come up with. Hopefully something awesome and not black box nanotechnology or simulation. Harry Potter in story has already at least partially discarded second option because of time travel.

A guess about what happens in the next chapter: Polyjuice potion and 2 persons playing Amelia Bones and Harry Potter. Rita Skeeter indeed gets quite juicy story and then hilarity ensues.

About length: Original book 1 used half of its length for first week too. As long as its good, more the better.

Philosophers stone: You could make Super St Mungo's Hospital with it, but I assume using it to make elixir wears it. Anyway, I hope you have more useful usage for it than just destroying it.
Shining Ducky chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
The part where Harry is explaining how to think of things sounds a bit out-of-place, probably because there's no real dialogue.

Good chapter otherwise, though.
Wyrm chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
A problem with the "words are used to press a button" Atlantean theory is that all the words would have to be in Atlantean, but lots are in Latin, one is (indirectly) from Aramaic, one is from West African Sidiki, and so on. I would think that Harry would be smart enough to realize that.
Heteroclite chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
I love this story.

K.
Starlight Chibi-chan chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
hmmm, out of order sections. how interesting!
badkidoh chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
another great chapter.

I"m looking forward to the next update
Fluphy Ninja chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
More impossible then Harry Potter? This should be good.
CloakedInsanity chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
I've never thought of the Weasley twins that way.
Vulch chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
Asking Gryffindors to "write Skeeter" would just get Fred and George a bunch of bits of parchment with the word "Skeeter" written on them. Being British they'd get a more useful result by asking the Gryffindors to write /to/ Skeeter.
Kate chapter 25 . 6/13/2010
This is truly inspiring, and absolutely brilliant.
mupetersas.upenn.edu chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
As others have said it is very likely that mages in areas like Asia and Africa have different 'keys' for lack of a better word, for casting spells, thus if Harry doesn't want to say Wingardium Leviousa he could be in luck.

As others have said, the characters reactions to Harry are just as fascinating as the science, and seeing whatever Fred and George come up with after this (let alone Peeves, I mean the thought of him being creative terrifies me).

That said, I'd like to see a bit more of Ron, and I'd think even Harry would see the value of someone you don't have to try very hard to impress or outdo, or hold a constant mental struggle with while simultaneously making everyone a lot less suspicious of him.

I'd like to say that I am really enjoying your new take on Quirrel, but I suppose it would be more accurate to say I'm impressed on your new interpretation of Voldemort. It's really not very surprising I suppose, under almost every single circumstance Voldemort would repress his mental connection as what was on the other side would be boring at best and painful at worst. But with all the thinking Harry's been doing, I suppose the Dark Lord has taken an interest and in return for new ideas, approaches and inspiration, Voldemort has gifted Harry with paranoia, arrogance, entitlement, deviousness, and just a tad of cruelty. (I'd wager that the reason Scabbers 'died' was because the Dark Lord either decided he needed the assistance of his loyal servant, or he felt that Wormtail was a loose end that needed tying up. Not sure what'll provoke Sirius's escape though.

On the Marauder's Map discrepancies, I'd suppose half the problem was Harry Potter's time shenanigans and the other half... I wonder if Voldemort being dominant changes the map at all... I mean it obviously wouldn't say "the dark lord" or "Voldemort" but would there be times when the name 'Tom Riddle' would be superimposed over Quirrel's?

Anyway, your ratio of quality to update speed is unfathomable I have to say. Keep up the good work!
A Bibliophile chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I am looking forward to some epic pranking action coming up. Between Fred, George, and a ridiculous sum of money, I'm sure that it will blow my mind.
entity.unknown chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
lol, this is exciting

i really love your theme for this story. it makes it all the more interesting, thought-provoking, and rational :D
uo-chou chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Interesting. I look forward to the upcoming surreal prank. Keep up the good work!
Style Maven chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Dearest author,

Your otherwise splendid novel suffers from a glaring defect in presentation: namely, you use a spaced hyphen to represent what should be an em dash. Surely you realize this is incorrect. Fortunately for you and all your readers, I have prepared a small labor-saving spell (appended below) to correct this grievous mistake. I remain,

Yours in Science,

# Typographica_Correcticus_

#

# Copyright (C) 2010 Style Maven

#

# This script is free spellware: you can

# redistribute or modify it under the

# terms of the GNU General Public Magic

# License

filesargv[1:] # pass HTML/text files to be edited

htmldashavailableTrue # if HTML em dash entity is not available, set to False to use unspaced double-hyphen instead

def edit(file):

freadopen(file).read() # read file

if htmldashavailableTrue:

freadsub(' - ', '', fread)

freadsub('- ', '', fread)

freadsub(' -', '', fread)

else:

freadsub(' - ', '-', fread)

freadsub('- ', '-', fread)

freadsub(' -', '-', fread)

fwriteopen(file, 'w')

(fread) # write changes to file

for f in files: # for all the files

edit(f)
Guile chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
That is a FANTASTIC way to describe how the Weasley Twins tick. And not one I've ever read being done quite that way. That they're practically the same person, and just decide (nonverbally) which one's going to be devil's advocate? Creepy. But awesome.
cheekylildevil chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Okay, it's nice to see your chapters clever again but, the acts were confusing, particularly with the order. Not bad, but a bit hard to follow.

Sorry,

Indi
Sir Chris chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
For all of your scientific knowledge (which I am sorely lacking) I believe the strong characterization you are capable of far surpasses the story's gimmick of science. I feared when I first started to read this fanfic that you would cripple your story in favor of science, but you did quite the opposite. While I am learning more science than I should admit to for being a 22 year old man, I read this story so far because of the fantastic job you did with the characters. Your dialogue especially is very top notch, which I can appreciate as an aspiring writer myself. Dialogue is very hard to nail, and you have done it.

Although with over four thousand reviews I am sure one or two people have made mention of this before. Nevertheless, well done so far, I will keep reading.

Chris
If p then q chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I love your story, for both the content and the frequent updates.

I wonder if Harry knows about quantum immortality. It would be humorous to have him announce his inability to die and to see Quirrell freak out about this accomplishment.

Harry should investigate quantum phenomenon more, as these could (potentially) explain magic.
anon chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
ARGH!

I can't decide if that was a polyjuiced Fred or if it really is (a strangely out of character*) Professor Quirrell and it was all a brilliant plot by Harry to end Rita through the twins!

* Caring about trivial things such as a newspaper no one of relevance believes?
Gogolu chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Nice.
Nongarak chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Well, this was a good chapter! I can't wait to see what sort of thing Gred and Forge cook up. This will be very entertaining. Continue!
Wind172 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Are you going to address the language issue in spell casting?

I doubt Chinese wizards use Latinate spells for their spellcasting
farwalker chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Wow!

I've been laughing hysterically through the first few chapters, then settling down and reading.

I'm impressed. Assuming a scientifically trained Harry, most of the rest falls into place - though I notice Quirrel has a completely different personality than in canon - more of the Dark Lord coming through I presume.

Anyway - really love it - have added it to my alert list!
Pusakuronu chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Oh, this is going to be good. I didn't quite get the point of not having the different Acts occur in chronological order, though?

Also, Quirrel: "Yet I find that I cannot deny myself the pleasure of simply crushing you." Is that an implied "like a bug" I hear?
harlyn chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I'm really excited to see what the Weasley twins think up, and I love the idea of "surreal pranks". I think there's some things Harry might be missing in his considerations of the nature of magic. 1) How do spells that disguise buildings from muggles distinguish between muggles and non-muggles? 2) how do modern wizards create spells? assuming that they do. 3)Are wizards innately magical, like a magical creature, or just capable of manipulating/perceiving magic in their environment, or directing it from a magical object (e.g. wand)? 4) What are house-elves, goblins, veela and the other humanoid magical creatures? Are they *hominids*? If so, they might be directions to look for Atlantean forbears, since they are innately magical, and can use wandless, wordless magic.
The French Dark Lord chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Luv it
Dinya chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Well, if the marker for the 'Source of Magic' is just an allele it does not make much sense for it to behave recessively, as it should be the genotype, not the resulting (recessive or not) phenotype which is being read and recognized by the 'Source'; and thus should the Mendelian pattern be that of a dominant trait, no matter what the actual gene expression of the whole thing is.

Well, at least that is the only sane way to make the marker.

Dominant traits are also easier to track in the population which should not have made it less attractive to the Atlanteans (no matter what their purposes) and thus they would have had little reason to 'fix' it by making the extra effort of making it a recessive trait.

So... I do not think that it adds up (beside all the other insanities concerning magic in the Potter-Verse).
DaveInACave chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Oh this WILL be interesting. There's so many fun and alternatively nasty ways to twist people down the rabbit hole. Can't wait to see where you go with this. :)

Oddly enough the discussion/thought process involving not suggesting solutions immediately is both awesome and something I never realized there WAS actual research about. I seriously have to spend some time at some point going over the Lesswrongwiki. I think it's gonna take a while. Especially if I actually intend to internalize any of it. Well, you never get anything done if you don't start somewhere. Here's to being "Less Wrong".
Raven3182 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
That was confusing... I think... Anyways, it was still a fun read. How about some more Hermione sometime soon? Pretty please?

Keep up the good work! Thanks for writing!
Shodatl chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
This chapter was organized strangely.

But it wasnt bad.

I've come to realize harry is arrogant... he just isnt arrogant in a bad way.

He Thinks he's smarter, more organized... just overall "Better" than anyone else near his age.

He doesnt talk down to them, he simply states what he feels to be true.

But in a sense, he is wrong.

He knows science, thats ALL he knows.

If someone solved every problem in a way that was completely illogical, had no order, and referenced things in a way that could be classed as insane...

And Got the problems solved correctly every Time.

He wouldn't understand the person at all.

This makes me wonder how he would receive luna, and makes me hope you keep her in character unlike everyone else in this story.

On another note-

You need to get the reactions of others correct.

As of now, you havent been able to give anyone a personality truely different than harry's.

In fact, you havent even had any conflict in the plot that helps a story move forward.

Get a beta or something to help with that, it would make this story feel much more intriguing if people reacted differently than than Harry would.

Just Saying.
jesusfreak100percent chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Act 3? I'm guessing that was either last chapter or will be next one...
Hayden Elrics chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Lol, you know those wwjd (what would jesus do) wrist bands? You think the twins could get wwggd ones? (G. Gryffindor)

Anyway, awesome chappie, love the convolutedness of "da acts". Maybe more crabzi n goylie?

Cheers,

Helix.
PBrules chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Oh wow, I cannot wait to see what Fred and George come up with... this is going to be very interesting :)
phoebe turner chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
i loved it!
Luiz4200 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Uh-oh. Fred and George are feeling challenged. Please update.
jdboss1 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
you are the god of fan fiction

I may not be able to follow the science but your story hos really encouraged me to relearn science I wished I'd had this story to motivate me when I was in school this explains concepts in ways that teachers could never do

( A no it wouldn't be out in the timeline you're working on but I would recommend somehow having your Harry Potter take inspiration from the BBC series hustle they were fantastic manipulators on it
Violet Shadows chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Nice, I almost expected a gurren Laggan moment at the end there.
Ronfar chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
You should ship Draco and McGonagall if and only if the results will be iawesome/i. Isn't that the algorithm you're using to decide what to put into the story? ;)

And I can't help but wonder what happened in Act 3...
Predicted Anomie chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I'm trapped in a smug factory, send help.
WaxWings chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Thanks for the update.

After I read this chapter, I remained a little unsatisfied, and I believe I know why. Consider this bit of, hopefully, helpful criticism.

It seems that Harry's characterization has drifted unnaturally fast. In the begining he was a precocious child, but he was now where near the schemer and manipulator he is now. You previously referenced "Death Note." In the begining of the story I do not believe I would have been able to draw any parrallels between Harry and Light, now however, those parrallels are beginning to develop, and there was no prior indication that Harry might develop in that direction.

Make of that what you will, it was just an initial impression.

The anachronatic pacing of this chapter was an interesting effect and for me served a welcome change of pace.

The title of this chapter, "Hold off on Proposing Solutions," is this supposed to by advice directed at Harry as well? My frustration with Harry right now (and provoking an emotional response from the reader can be a good thing) is that he seems to be pulling his hypothesis about the nature of magic out of thin air. For all he preaches about the proper method of conducting science, he seems to be woefully ignorant of its application. There is not a single honest scientist in the world who, when intrigued by a problem, would not first learn all they could from the literature. Until that point, they would not what questions to ask.

For example, Harry's current theory about the origin of magic would not be valid if he learned that spell development was an active field, and what went into developing a spell. Or if he learned that incantation for the levitation charm was taught as "Wingardium Leviosa" at Hogwarts, but that it varied by region. He doesn't have enough background information yet.

Truly good science is based upon questioning the assumitions that others have made, but Harry still seems to be living in the fantasy that he will be able to swoop into this new world and instantly find success ... through science!
anon chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
lol I keep thinking about those Chuck Norris sayings when the twins talk about making Harry impossible.
TD Master chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
There are some problems with Harry's thought pattern in Act 2. He goes on about there not be multiple genes that make up magic, and this making it not complex, which isn't entirely true. After all, if EVERYONE has all the other genes and chromosomes required to do magic, and the one gene that is missing is just the final connection that turns otherwise useful, but not magical, circuitry into magical stuff, you can still have complex stuff, yet one chromosome/gen.

But that's not the real big one. He goes on about understanding magic and how difficult it is, because it's artificial. This doesn't make much rational sense. If magic is artificial, there's a machine or machines (the Earth is large and a sphere after all) that are the source of magic, scientifically trying to master magic is rather useless; because you won't be understanding the underlying laws of physics that govern it; you'd be trying to figure out some people's minds and how they set up their magic machines.

His real, rational goal, should be to find the source(s) of magic, and understand the actual underlying physics. In that case, Harry could build his own source of magic; and shut down the old one. That way, only he, and those he trusts, can wield magic, and everyone else is f'ed! :buwahahaha!:

PS: It would rather imply that any magical creature and plant, are (magically) genetically engineered, which would fit with there being no fossils of predecessors in the fossil record. Also, the fact that you would need certain plants and roots to make the machine(s) / source(S) of magic take notice and do your bidding; makes Magic the biggest and far reaching prank ever perpetrated by anyone of the human species. Hell, the creator, or however set the final settings, might even have been insane:

Person1: "Hey, so and so spell doesn't work anymore!"

Person2: "Yeah, what the hell happened."

Dr. Insano: "Oh, from now on, you need mandrake root to make it work!"

Person1: "Why would we need a funny shaped root to make the machine do the spell!"

Dr. Insano: "No, you need the living breathing with human face and mouth root that screams out its pain as you rip it out of the ground root."

Person2: "That's an old-wives tale, it doesn't actually exist."

Dr. Insano (brings forth pot: "Not anymore!" Yanks the plant out which starts screaming than tosses it to the people, and runs of cackling madly.
fsdfasefe chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Lol ! awesome
Raw Power chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I -challenge- you to ship Malfoygonnagall. DO IT! For the lulz! For great justice! For empiricism! DU MUSST!

Also, any dates for the next chapter, or do you plan to leave us on a horribly stressful cliffanger for a good while?
David305 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I've been enjoying your very good story.

I (and I assume the other regular readers) have accommodated myself to your rather unorthodox (or perhaps eccentric) habit of putting each chapter's notes on the author page, then eliminating (replacing) them once the next chapter's been posted.

While, obviously, this is your story and you may do as you wish, I feel bad for readers who, for whatever reason, come upon the story late. Some might not discover the story until months or even years from now, and then they will not have the benefit of these expository and illuminating notes. This isn't a typical story, and the complex ideas presented do benefit from some explanation. Where would the harm have been in putting a horizontal line at the end of the chapter, followed by that chapter's notes - so as not to give future readers the feeling of having been left out?

(As you've repeatedly pointed out yourself: Even great scientists can have bad or unworkable ideas.)

At any rate, I hope you have saved all those now-deleted chapter notes; that way you could at least put them in a summary form at the bottom of the final chapter.

Keep it up! cheers,

David
4683513543545 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Fred and George were just way too much fun to read about! I love how epic feeling this whole business is, even though it is in essence a prank, albeit a purpose-serving one.
Jaxtopher chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
You sir, rock.

Chapters 24 and 25 were fantastic. Up to your usual high standards. Malfoy's plotting and Potters theorizing both felt like they fleshed out the characters more, as well as providing the interesting rationalist bits the regular readers of the story obviously love. Your versions of the characters are nuanced and interesting, without departing too far from the source material.

In short, give us the next one. _
Phygmalion chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
This was a brilliant chapter - educational, insightful, and humurous all at the same time. I can't wait to see how the twins hit Rita Skeeter with a prank! It'll be totally AWESOME! Great job, and good luck! Looking forward to the next chapter!
Kageshimaru chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I love the discombobulation used for story telling purposes. As ever I can't wait for the next chapter.
Morbious20 chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Brilliant I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to read the last couple of chapters 50 times before I completely understand them and or what's truly happening in them, although if I do manage it it'll probably create the apocolypse so maybe I'll just admit defeat and keep reading . Keep up the amasing work and post again soon.
AngelForm chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Odd order, no doubt building up to something.

Missing part three I note. Wonder what Draco had to say.

Loved act 1 by the way.
Wanderer-Brown-Sheep chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
You broke my brain a few times here. Sufficient enough to make me pause and actively work at it. There are times when I completely understand and other times where I pause and move on to another thing for a while until my mind has spiraled towards comprehension. So I congratulate you on writing such a story. I am both fascinated and weary.
gwern chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
You can't reasonably be expected to get this reference on your own, so the idea is that the Weasley twins are a metaphor for Aumann's Agreement Theorem.

Bah. Here I was going to quip that 'Bayesian magical twins cannot agree to disagree', and you go and identify the reference explicitly.

Who'd been silly enough to build in a spell for Avada Kedavra that could only be cast using hatred?

So much for the FAI sysop scenario explaining magic. A sysop would probably add in safeguards requiring there to be love, or at least calmness/sanity, before killing. (After all, killings involving hatred tend to be the least justifiable killings.)
Entropic Specter chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Mixed up order? Now, where did I see that kind of storytelling before?

In any case, this is shaping up quite nicely, no? What are those two up to? And Quirrell? Ohoho. I almost feel sorry for Rita. Almost. Not quite, actually.

I need more of this, so please update soon.
threecankeepasecret chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Great chapter! Only one request; please put way more Quirrell!
firedraygon chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Haha, oh gosh, this is too awesome. I'm getting the feel of a Terry Pratchett novel when I'm reading the scenes about these little secret societies. I'm looking forward to when they all clash! Fantastic work, please write more soon!

~fd97
Psalmy chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Oh! The Horror! A cliffhanger of the worst order! Of the fourth and fifth kind!

WHAT WILL THE WEASLYS DO?

*tune in next *()&()SHATTER*
Cremello chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
Go weasley twins! I like that you titled different sections of the chapter different acts, depending on the order they actually happened in. It made it interesting, though not too confusing.
Cindy chapter 25 . 6/12/2010
I'm glad I found this story. HP fanfic isn't my favorite, but this one is certainly very interesting.

I would, however, appreciate seeing more Hermione. You've got her listed as one of the main characters, but we see a whole lot more Draco than we do Hermione.