Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
mymi092 chapter 3 . 8/18
I love harry humour !
Kimmytrainer chapter 3 . 7/23
That Ravenclaw comment was just perfect. This different Harry Potter is so interesting! I wonder if Hermione will be housed with him?
I just want to say that the disclaimer at the top gave me my first genuine laugh since my mother's passing three weeks ago... and so far i am enjoying this story very much... Thank You for the tremendous time and effort it must of taken to accomplish this story that I am already looking forward too...
D f of QT chapter 3 . 6/10
I don't think anyone can follow from the vanguard
walkingspring chapter 3 . 5/29
It's okay to cry Harry
Jhuffy chapter 3 . 5/17
Aw, poor Harry! I'm glad that he was raised by parents who loved him, but I'm also glad to hear him call James and Lily his parents.
meansy chapter 3 . 4/27
I feel like I'm reading something Lemony Snicket's close friend/relative would have written. Or even a hint of Douglas Adams, if he never tried to be funny at all.

I like it.
holz30 chapter 3 . 4/23
lovely writing.
ack1308 chapter 3 . 4/6
Interesting. Less humour, more humanity.
FeMorgenstern11 chapter 3 . 4/2
I have this really strong feeling that Harry will go to Ravenclaw, but... Deep down in my heart, I'm expecting that he'll go to another house, especially Slytherin. (I'm a Slytherin, so... I'm just pround of my house.)
Awesomeness!
SnuggleKitten69 chapter 3 . 3/10
Very powerful imagery. Thank you for sharing this gift.
Bethany chapter 3 . 2/22
This book is amazing! I love this book just as much as I love the regular Harry Potter and that Is REALLY saying something! This chapter made me cry. Poor Harry. :(
Thank you for writing this story! Its like you are going to Hogwarts for the first time all over again! :)
kronoan chapter 3 . 1/27
Nice intro to the wizarding world! I am too predicting him to become a Ravenclaw! :)
Marauders Mischief x chapter 3 . 1/24
I love this story so far! I wish you could publish it( I know those copyrights..) I just would really like a hardcopy. I love how Harry isn't some perfect boy who always does 'the right thing'. And this is just the beginning! I can already tell I will charish this story.. I really admire your writing style though! ALOT of stories I have read are okay ideas and horrible style. just too boring.. but nope, no sirie, not yours! Your writing style is addictive, hooking, amazing! so a great big virtual hi to you for writing this!yup, favorite user, favorite story, following story, follow user...)
Chicwowwow chapter 3 . 1/9
ah, a flubber reference, in this case, I'm not even sure if that particular movie reference was on purpose or not.
Chicwowwow chapter 3 . 1/9
good lord, I've never read a fan fic with more of a sense of humor... ever!
TheVeryCheesyAuthor chapter 3 . 1/7
this story is great i love itititititit
Dennis chapter 3 . 11/28/2016
And somewhere in the back of his mind was a small, small note of confusion

I really try to figure out what that might be, and my final result would be this:
If Harry was the only person left alive with Voldemort at that point, and Voldemort dies through the described chain of events, how did anyone find out what exactly happened? This all seems like more than just "educated guesses"...

Anyone else trying to solve that hint, maybe with other conclusions?
HecateMist chapter 3 . 11/5/2016
I find this Harry more likable than the canon Harry for some reason. Also, I liked the fullstop after 'um'. I have no idea why.
Rambkowalczyk chapter 3 . 11/2/2016
A new interpretation to the fear people experienced. (the by stander effect).
Is Harry's source of something wrong with the story due to how he was betrayed, the horcrux within, or some other thing?
Harry at this point is somewhat more sympathetic as he learns of his 'genetic" parents. One wonders why he feels the need to refer to them as such. It appears that Harry misses them but is afraid (?) to acknowledge it.
Guest chapter 3 . 10/12/2016
Im 3 chapters in and this is just beautiful. I dont really understand some of it, but you do an excellent job of explaining some of the harder concepts. Just wonderful. Im so excited to finally read this. Its been in my queue for like 3 months.
cx cx chapter 3 . 10/11/2016
xc xc
Rambling Drabble chapter 3 . 9/18/2016
1. So there are 3 items you need to complete an infinite cycle of wish spells... I'll look into that later.
2. Gotta have that bookshop be Ravenclaw colors.
3. Those "who stood out most." Reminds me of something a certain Slytherin will say.
4. Nice quote: "Whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it."
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 3 . 9/14/2016
Very nice.
The-Mrning-Star chapter 3 . 7/25/2016
Im 2 chapters in and the amount crack being shoved up my face is amazing ... And i still got 120 chapters to go
myafroatemydog chapter 3 . 6/23/2016
This was a good chapter
The Interference chapter 3 . 6/10/2016
I totally LOVED the "Crack of Doom" part!
HerondaleMyAss chapter 3 . 5/31/2016
hrp de
TheLittleRoguex chapter 3 . 5/12/2016
Great
Mab's Mad Fiddler chapter 3 . 5/10/2016
Hey, true. That's my cousins once removed, if for a slightly different reason.
Anonymous chapter 3 . 5/7/2016
Awesome ending, really sad though. I hope he and Hermione meet soon!
gi-freakazoid chapter 3 . 5/1/2016
Wow. Harry's taking the news quite well.

And I had never heard of the bystander effect before. It was interesting to know.
DONTHAVEANAME125 chapter 3 . 4/4/2016
I was the last two reviews. Is this only going to be the first year?
isiscat2 chapter 3 . 3/18/2016
qqq
Selena.t chapter 3 . 3/9/2016
I am taking this story in stride. Loving it. Making me smile. But hell look at all the reviews i am not the first and i will not be the last.
Nictis chapter 3 . 2/26/2016
There were goggles that would turn anything you looked at green, and a lineup of comfy armchairs with ejection seats for emergencies.

Pssh, come back when you have armchairs that propel themselves with ejector seats, then we can talk.

Love the talk with the professor, just shows a certain depth if of character I usually can't find in most novels.
knightzero chapter 3 . 2/24/2016
Nice story. I like the emotianal part in this chapter.
Winter Fox of Summer chapter 3 . 2/15/2016
Harry does seem like a Ravenclaw in this. Will he still be a Gryffindor? Is it even possible for him to be friends with Ron? I think he'd be a good friend for Luna.
Guest chapter 3 . 2/9/2016
omg i like gringotts
mayingying chapter 3 . 2/6/2016
过年好哈哈哈
mayingying chapter 3 . 2/5/2016
我觉得如果把哈利的名字一起改了会更好些,因为这里的哈利已经不是JK罗琳的哈利了。如果把名字一起改掉的话,对于那些以hpmor和原著设定相差太多为理由讨厌hpmor的人,更好区分。
I think change Harry's name is is not JKHarry now,if Harry not be named Harry,everyone can kown the different from hp and hpmor.
TheSilentDarkAngel chapter 3 . 1/29/2016
I like the bookstore rule!
And Prof McGonagall deserves kudos for her graceful handling of a delicate matter.
Montara chapter 3 . 1/20/2016
Very sad :(
Guest chapter 3 . 1/1/2016
I have only just finished chapter 2, and i'm hooked. Oh my god.
LiteratureGirl12 chapter 3 . 12/25/2015
Great chapter! Also, my review for chapter two got cut off. It was supposed to say laughing my fucking ass off.
Grissina chapter 3 . 12/10/2015
it nevere made sense to me that dumbledore would send hagrid for harry instead of someone else, for all his loyalty and good heart hagrid would not have been my choice. then again not many of dumbledore's decisions make too much sense to me. nevere liked him much. mcgonagall makes more sense, specially whem harry is well loved and taken care of I supose
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 3 . 12/4/2015
This is a great description of the ravages of the war on Britain, and a great explanation for why such a small number could terrorize the entire population. Depressing, but accurate.

I like the decision Harry comes to in the end, that he can have two mothers and two fathers.
Guest chapter 3 . 12/3/2015
Poor Harry. I know he's a fantastic rationalist but dismissing emotions out of hand :( Thank you for writing!
Guest chapter 3 . 11/21/2015

Best one liner I have read on FF -Pk
The Anguished One chapter 3 . 11/17/2015
So Harry gets the feeling that something is off with Professor Quirrell. That should make things more difficult for the loyal puppet. I loved Professor McGonagall's reaction to Harry's fascination with books. Will he really end up in Ravenclaw? That would also change his dynamics with everyone compared to canon.
italeteller chapter 3 . 10/21/2015
Hmmm... granted, McGonagall's explanation is better than Hagrid's, and there would be no point to this fic if it was all the same as the book except Harry's super smart - plus, I think this Harry can have better conversations with McGonagall that Hagrid - but I really do miss their relationship. I loved that on the book.

The hanging skin was beautiful btw.
ShadowLDrago chapter 3 . 10/13/2015
Gringotts Bank, here we go...
httpkirby chapter 3 . 10/11/2015
I think being more intelligent and informed can cause a considerable amount more of pain...
Good chapter 3 . 9/24/2015
Good.
Kaley D. Oscope chapter 3 . 9/23/2015
Ahhh that was so beautiful it hurt to read! It's so nice to see more of McGonagall. Thank you for choosing her to introduce Harry into the magical world. As much as I love Hagrid, Professor McGonagall is a boss.
P. P. P chapter 3 . 9/12/2015
All I can say is that this is really good, very interesting. I hope he doesn't become a Ravenclaw though, I rather liked him as a Gryffindor. And that thing about him feeling that the story of his parents deaths is a bit off, I wonder how it's off?
Liusa-The-Wandering-Maniac chapter 3 . 9/5/2015
"I guess there's no reason I can't have two mothers and two fathers." That was a simple and beautiful way to convey Harry's newfound respect for James and Lily. I really liked it.
bloodyvamp101 chapter 3 . 8/20/2015
Interesting. No more reviews until I get back into international range so fair warning
Zyxis chapter 3 . 8/9/2015
I'm about to go to sleep, but I'm going to do my best to read this entire story and review every chapter. This story deserves all 122 of my reviews and more. I hope to see more like this soon, and am curious to see how Harry experiments with magic.
TwoRollsOfParchment chapter 3 . 8/6/2015
Fuck. Okay can I just say that I've absolutely fallen in love with your story from the summary alone and three chapters in, I've gone beyond love so that science and magic is now very much an obsession. Your story is beautiful and the logic is well... logical and you're an amazing writer omg I love this.
WhenTheSunRiseSets chapter 3 . 8/4/2015
I have two sets of parents. It isn't perfect, but I love them all the same.
8734287934379342879erw87952587 chapter 3 . 7/11/2015
Twice now I have ran to the next chapter in my haste to read the next word. Twice now I have come back to review this masterpiece. My reviews shall be short from this point onwards, but know that I do appreciate the authour's work fully and wholeheartedly.

- Manny (You can find me on tumblr at asexualtomriddle.)
Dutchgirl84 chapter 3 . 6/16/2015
OMG Harry is so incredibly OOC in this story it's actually hillarious
AJ chapter 3 . 6/12/2015
I don't usually review but your writing is some of the best I've read on this site. I'm 3 chapters in and totally enthralled. Thank you for writing.
Sora Tayuya chapter 3 . 5/31/2015
That was a fabulous way to handle the discovery of his survival. I agree with McGonagall regarding his parents, but I at once laugh and question Ravenclaw. I swear I am not sure how to proceed if Harry ends up in Ravenclaw. I realize this is not the same Harry Potter who irritates me in the canon works, but I still am not sure how I will continue on seeing Harry should he not be in Gryffindor.

Now Hermione, on the other hand, I would certainly never find fault with in Ravenclaw.

In this chapter I enjoyed your note on the bystander effect, a particular enjoyment of mine that I like observing in everyday life and under unusual circumstances.
Angelfirenze chapter 3 . 5/26/2015
Wow, your McGonagall is so much better at explanations than Hagrid. I can't tell if the tears in my eyes are from sleep or sadness.
not used anymore sorry chapter 3 . 5/21/2015
Beautiful! I have tears coming out of my eyes
Guest chapter 3 . 5/16/2015
"And she told him of..."

I like this story. And I like how lazy you were :3
Jemma Blackwell chapter 3 . 5/15/2015
Awww, bless his little heart.
PrincessAmythyst chapter 3 . 5/13/2015
Dun dun dun, review #3! Yes, quite an enjoyable read indeed. I hope, one day, to be as good a writer as this. Just lovely.
Gamabunto chapter 3 . 5/2/2015
Grest
tag wiskay chapter 3 . 4/21/2015
You wrote that the story doesn't pick up until ch5 - I'm hooked after the comment on biting a teacher for not knowing logarithms and flaming zebras terrorizing England.
hisnhers chapter 3 . 3/14/2015
It is sad indeed when we are most in need of our rational side it flees from us... -sigh-

-his
4everfictional chapter 3 . 3/12/2015
Oh Honey... that was beautifully written.
mab70 chapter 3 . 3/11/2015
That is one of the most believable accounts for Harry's reactions to Diagon alley, and hearing the story of his parents' deaths, I have ever read.
Calorion chapter 3 . 3/5/2015
""Bless my soul," whispered the old barman. "Harry Potter... what an honour."
Harry blinked, then rallied. "Well, yes, you're quite perceptive; most people don't realise that so quickly -""

This is confusing. Realize *what* so quickly? That his name was Harry Potter, or that it was an honor to meet him? I presume the latter, but the structure of the sentences implies the former. This is poor writing; it needs to be cleaned up to make your meaning more clear.

""My granson was an Auror," she whispered to him"

Isn't it "grandson"? If "granson" is a Britishism, Google seems unaware of it.

I don't think "Crack of Doom" is the phrase you're going for here. en. wiki/Crack_of_doom

""And what was... all of that?""

No spaces after ellipses that aren't at the end of sentences.

"and "Knives 3! Forks 2! Spoons with a 4 bonus!""

Seriously? 3 to *what*? This only makes sense as an explicit D&D reference, except I can't imagine the wizarding world making cutsey fan-service D&D references. And it also makes no sense straight—those phrases are for the *players*—the *characters* in D&D games have never heard of a "3" anything. If this *does* make sense in-world (which would be kind of cool), it needs explained, and used throughout the book.

I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it except that you've made clear that every inconsistency is a potential clue. So this presumably makes sense somehow and gives me a clue to the nature of magic—but I really doubt it does (major props to you if I'm wrong on this).

"And she told him of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, the Dark Lord, Voldemort."

Please don't assume people have read the canon. I have, and this is still distracting.

""Voldemort?" Harry whispered. It should have been funny, but it wasn't. The name burned with a cold feeling, ruthlessness, diamond clarity, a hammer of pure titanium descending upon an anvil of yielding flesh. A chill swept over Harry even as he pronounced the word, and he resolved then and there to use safer terms like You-Know-Who."

Why? Ignoring the superstition about the name seemed like the one rationalist thing Canon Harry does. Of course it turns out that there was good reason for the superstition in the end, but HJPEV has no reason to suspect that, does he? Wouldn't his rationalist sensibilities draw him to making the same choice as in canon? Or is this simply a reaction to the feelings he gets from hearing the name? If so, this passage is confusing, as it makes it seem that HJPEV makes a different choice with the same data, but in fact the data are different.

"An old and respected journalist, Yermy Wibble, called for increased taxes and conscription."

Are we to somehow conclude from this that these are good things? Are slave armies really desirable? Usually people are lining up to enlist if they believe that their country is in fact in danger.

"And those two might have died with their wands in their hands and not regretted their choices, for they were heroes; but for that they had an infant child, their son, Harry Potter."

This is really awkward. A phrase like "but for that" that doesn't work at the beginning of a sentence shouldn't immediately follow a semicolon.

"I didn't know those people, not really, they aren't my parents now, it would be pointless to feel so sad for them -"

This should end with no space and an em dash, like this—

There are several other "space hyphen" instances in the book that should be replaced with em dashes.

"The storm of weeping that had washed through Harry had used up all his tears; he could not cry again, he was done."

Which storm was this? No storm was described, just some momentary sobbing.

This is the sort of thing I mean when I say that the scripting is poor (relative to published fiction that is. It's good compared to other fanfic, but since every *other* element of the book is as good or better than good published fiction, this lack is jarring and frustrating). The descriptions and flow leave much to be desired.

Indeed, I think that this entire segment should be written out in Minerva's speech rather than summarized. If you do it well, we should be tearing up as well.

I think that that may be the only authorial aside in the entire book. It's kind of out of place if you never do it again. I say kill this sentence. It's implied by the preceding to the perceptive. Or use the authorial voice throughout to teach us rationalism, but that would require an extensive rewrite. (If I'm just forgetting several other narrator's comments, ignore this.)
HelenaHermione chapter 3 . 3/1/2015
This is a very, very good story, enjoying it so far and your different take on events. Yay!
Rasenkai chapter 3 . 3/1/2015
i didn't even finish this chap , but this is THE MOST COMPLICATED WORD USER fic ever, i have to use the dictionary again and again. but that is nice since we get to learn new words. 10/10 points to this fic
NGPhoenix chapter 3 . 2/17/2015
Shit, harry seemed to take it well because he didn't knew, shit shit seriously it broke my heart to read that, reminded me also that harry is still a child even if he is very smart. Awesome chapter and make the reader think too, it's not only fiction, i'm going to love this fanfiction so much i'm gonna cry when it end i'm sure, this is awesome really, i look at the fanart after i read one chapter and look at the science stuff and all this is very enriching. This is so awesome seriously !
vampwalker709 chapter 3 . 2/16/2015
Wonder if you will have harry as a chater.
biob1 chapter 3 . 2/13/2015
Is this just going to be a bunch of text book scientific qoutes about how much of an impossibility magic is or are we going to get some actual story it is fine so far but it is reaching a disturbing trend and I find it sad when weak CANON harry is not afraid of voldemort's name but the one in your story i
Irrelevancy chapter 3 . 2/1/2015
"For it is a sad rule that whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it." Oh god, that is the most heartbreaking line. Perfect.
TheButterflyComposer chapter 3 . 12/23/2014
So is the implication that Diagon Alley is sealed within the wall before you open it or just that Harry is unimpressed by a brick door opening? The former is, frankly, far mor astonishing than a cat transformation and the latter would of course be completely unimpressive to pretty much anyone who had been to a theme park or a medieval castle with a trick wall.
I'm looking forward to Harry (at some point) tearing that soul destroying crap into shreds.
Pat Squared chapter 3 . 12/19/2014
I wonder what happens when our little mad scientist gets loose...
IV Legacy of Poseidon chapter 3 . 12/7/2014
ooh!
Agent Frank Underwood chapter 3 . 12/6/2014
Good chapter, though i would have thought that with Harry being more emotionally mature he wouldn't cry.
camlaus chapter 3 . 11/30/2014
poor harry
kevans94 chapter 3 . 11/23/2014
i cant even! :')
i just cant even...
this needs spread around the whole world so everyone can cry like me.
N. E. Person chapter 3 . 11/8/2014
I will be sad if Harry is a Ravenclaw... While they ARE the best, I would miss Hermione and Neville... Maybe Ron. No, probably not. :)
kimchi759 chapter 3 . 11/3/2014
Aww. Though he is very logical, his words concerning his genetic parents made me pretty sad. That was basically rectified by the end of the chapter, though. I wonder what he would see in the Mirror of Erised now...? Books?
Guest chapter 3 . 10/21/2014
Ok, so I had my doubts at first I mean your story looks massive (is massive) but then I looked to the reviews and was blown away, you have the most I've ever seen (for a good reason to.) I had to see what so many people liked even if to read the first chapter but this is bloody brilliant! I'm already hooked and I know it's going to be a long night despite having school and homework can definitely wait! Awesome story can't stop laughing!
Guest chapter 3 . 10/19/2014
First of all, LOVE your disclaimer. XD
Second, LOVE THIS!
Bloodwolf432 chapter 3 . 9/23/2014
There is a way to scientifically explain magic. I like to think of it as the 'unknown' element in the periodic table. I guess you could call it the 'god' particle with its ability to mess with reality and such. Plus it has rules on how it can and cannot be used.
Melanie B chapter 3 . 9/13/2014
I'm enjoying this story a great deal. I love "rationals" and already like this story better than the original for that reason. My understanding is that you are in the process of editing it and are looking for opinions on how to make it better...correct? I am wondering:

1. How clear would this particular chapter appear to someone who is not familiar with the original HP? Those readers are, in all probability ;), few and far between, but have you gotten an opinion from a trustworthy source?
2. How much more poignant would the story of Voldemort and Lily and James be if it was ALL told in dialogue between Prof McGonagall & Harry? You told the last part, and it makes sense that Harry might be emotional in response to his parents, but I didn't really feel the emotion of it along with him.

Overall, though, EXCELLENT IDEA. You can guarantee that I'll keep reading.
alix33 chapter 3 . 8/26/2014
Yay! for McGonagall's glare not deterring Doris from wanting to shake Harry's hand.
I LIKE (and approve hugely of) that family rule about bookshops.
My poor erstwhile magical colleague Yermy Wibble and his family (I am a muggle copy editor at an Afrikaans daily newspaper in Johannesburg, South Africa).
humanoidpatronus chapter 3 . 8/22/2014
Resolving to use "You-know-who" instead of Voldemort is good in my opinion. It is not cowardice. Sometimes, I think Pettigrew was just a normal guy with fear of death and desire to live. If only he had refused being the Secret Keeper, citing fear...
Guest chapter 3 . 8/19/2014
Pretty good!
Sai Og Sus chapter 3 . 8/1/2014
Are you telling me Harry's joining Ravenclaw? Cool! I hope he met Cho.
Anyway, it was quite scary when you said about the Wibble guy. Skin? Ouch!
Guest chapter 3 . 8/1/2014
It s beautiful the way the storie is going. Seeing Harrys exitement at the sight of the magic world I can identifie myself to him :) (my english is bad sorry)
SakuraKoi chapter 3 . 7/31/2014
Q,Q
thepkrmgc chapter 3 . 7/30/2014
yay for a genre savvy harry! diagon ally would be familiar to any fan of dungieons and dragons, and logical reasoning is not going to be a priority when you just heard about how your parents died
zolydck chapter 3 . 7/23/2014
(Writing reviews as I read through it)

I believe I noticed from your hint of "something" being "wrong with this story". If a killing curse strikes directly at the soul, severing it why would it leave a burnt husk of the Dark Lord's body. As something that targets the soul it simply should not have affected the body at all.

This is an incredible story and I look forward to trying to predict the outcome. Hopefully I won't need clues the size of Billboards for future ones xd. Regardless thank you for creating this story.
FinlandJesper chapter 3 . 6/30/2014
This story seems great, but Harry should be a bit more brave and ongoing. I understand that he is used to rationality, but courage and a frantic temper is not something that you only get from your environment but something that is a part of you from birth and can be supressed or increased from your environment. I hope that Harrys true character will eventually come forth in the story!
Alarose chapter 3 . 6/17/2014
Harry kind of makes me think of a mix between Calvin and Sherlock.
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 3 . 6/14/2014
I'm not surprised that this fanfic has so many reviews. It is seriously well written. It's also pretty funny to see harry as a male hermione. Oh the baffling conversations those two will have ...
Dom-Loves-Kel chapter 3 . 6/11/2014
Wow, your characterisation is divine! I can picture little Harry Potter Evans-Verres or whatever it was!
I'm super curious how alternative this will become to canon; I mean it sounds like you're intending on putting Harry in Ravenclaw? That would really change a lot!
Can't wait to see!
Emily
Ryu Master of Seals chapter 3 . 6/5/2014
Oh hell no Harry is never afraid to use Voldemort's name why did you do that?
Ficlate chapter 3 . 5/23/2014
Did Killing Curse not kill Harry Potter because an infant couldn't know what is Death yet ?
Songs familiar with how dementors&patronus works to me.
Braisin Goose chapter 3 . 5/7/2014
Interesting story idea! Harry is definitely very smart, and you are definitely taking that whole 'scientific perspective invading all aspects of life!' very seriously! I believe I shall return later to read some more. Thanks for sharing!
Jack chapter 3 . 4/26/2014
Wow. A powerfully written chapter! I want more! :)
Anchpop chapter 3 . 4/5/2014
This is not only the best fanfic I've ever read, it must be the best piece of fiction I've ever read, (and that includes _The Stormlight Archive_ by Brandon Sanderson). I'm serious.
Sensei200 chapter 3 . 3/26/2014
Hmm. Harry Potter a rationalist. It is hard to believe. Unless of course, it was you who wrote it. It takes a (generic) genius to convey such an unbelievable concept in such a way that stirs one's mind to the point where they begin to believe such topics. You are a genius. There is no doubt. And so I can brag that I used the word "genius" thrice in one paragraph, I do believe that this is a work of genius. Notice the paradox I have included. (Often known as the "I will not say never" paradox, in which the speaker claims to say a word a set amount of times, but in order to convey that they will they must say it an additional time. It is as complicated as the anatomy of a cat.
Harlequin de Rustre chapter 3 . 2/22/2014
A passively tragic scene without the sense of melodrama that most scenes of this general type maintain- within or without fan fiction.

The quality of the writing is keeping level with the preceding two, and I'm moderately happy for that.
Anaelyssa chapter 3 . 2/20/2014
Only a burnt body left? How suspicious. How did they identify it as the Dark Lord? And why was the body burnt when the Killing Curse just separates the soul from the body? And how do they even know that the scar comes from the Killing Curse?

And why does Harry know Quirrel? Is he a horcrux or is there some more complicated explanation?

Just questions I'm asking myself while trying to figure stuff out.
IXAthenaeum chapter 3 . 2/7/2014
I must say, I quite like this smarter Harry I love the way you described how saying /You-Know-Who/'s name felt, and again, the way you ended the chapter x3
Vampires2rocks chapter 3 . 2/5/2014
Harry's reaction to Goblins...I'm looking forward to that.

A feeling that's quite a contrary to my feeling about the sudden pile of homework I just got, might I add...

Vamp
hella chapter 3 . 2/4/2014
HELLA
BlackRevenant chapter 3 . 1/26/2014
Dammit!

Lost me here.

Being afraid of a name is understandable depending upon the contents.

Not here.

The name Voldemort has no power. Fearing it however does.

Its always the little things that kill it for me.

Rev
Grizzmon chapter 3 . 1/12/2014
Ah, yes, emotions are the ruin of the rational mind.
Guest chapter 3 . 1/11/2014
Awesome!
GiGi chapter 3 . 1/11/2014
Oh my gosh.
I am born '91 in Germany, and so grew up with the original books, Harry always beeing (roughly) the same age as me. I loved them right from the beginning, and almost cried after the last book, because the story had to end.
And know you are here, rewriting the history in a parallel universe with an unbelievable intelligent Harry. As I like myself to solve riddles or discuss hypothetic ideas, I just found the perfect continuation! (please forgive my bad english)
I love this piece of art, and I am looking forward to reading the next 100 chapters.
KEEP GOING! :)
Kyle chapter 3 . 1/7/2014
I know what can be done to protect us from Voldemort. We can make more laws and more regulations to control I mean protect people thru closed doors that opposing parties get locked out of. (Yes that really did happen).

Then pay the media to spin stories out of control to make the opposing groups look bad so therefore it will have a side effect in scaring Voldemort from doing anything nasty.

We can spy on people's wands and track people who use the floo network without their consent and knowledge for starters.
J'aimel'anime44163 chapter 3 . 12/29/2013
Sorry I haven't reviewed but I honestly didn't believe that your writing would be this good! This is an amazing piece of work!
AngelWitch chapter 3 . 12/16/2013
"burnt hulk of his body"? I presume that to be one of the regular assumptions that seem obvious, but are in fact not absolute?
TheUnbreakableHorcrux chapter 3 . 12/4/2013
I applaud you. There are no words for this story. It's just incredibly intelligent.
Ellementry chapter 3 . 11/23/2013
Great chapter, I was sick of harry only referring to them as his genetic parents.
unobtrusivescribe chapter 3 . 11/13/2013
I love the description of entering Diagon Alley! It's so interesting to see a perceptive Harry. I love "there's no reason I can't have two mothers & two fathers" because it really shows a level of understanding and awareness of Harry. Oooh! I can't wait to see what he thinks of Gringotts. Your descriptions are awesome:)
Guest chapter 3 . 11/4/2013
This is a fantastic fanfic! Although it changes the original story completely, this is something I almost wish I had read first. It's Harry crossed with my favorite character, Hermione, plus science, which I also love. This is absolutely magnificent!
567zoock67 chapter 3 . 11/1/2013
Whoa, this is interesting. I'm amazed by how well you've managed to combine the magic world and the scientific world together. Who would've thought magic and science could be applied to each other in such a way?
willam and jack and jake chapter 3 . 10/22/2013
wow
ladyowl chapter 3 . 10/10/2013
I was reading some of your reviews, and I thought to myself:

"it's ok that Harry doesn't sound like an average 11 year old, because I'd rather read/listen to 90 chapters of HJPEV than 90 chapters of an average 11 year old."

Please come back before the abandonment sets in...
(And, btw. Thanks for all the stories...) LO

also: why doesn't let you review chapters more than once?
Iryerris chapter 3 . 10/6/2013
Knives 3! Forks 2! Spoons with a 4 bonus!

You went there. You really went there. :3
Guest chapter 3 . 8/23/2013
I know you asked for a review for every chapter but I can't right now, I just want to go on reading... ok? :)
cross-over-lover232 chapter 3 . 8/14/2013
i do like the family rule. in fact i do that quite a bit my self!
The 10th Wand chapter 3 . 8/8/2013
That Yermy Wibble paragraph points out a very good reason why many problems of at least the United States are not being solved.
DaftDruid chapter 3 . 8/5/2013
ahahaha
Dave chapter 3 . 8/1/2013
I'm curious about Hagrid, is he absent in this parallel universe? Its a good chapter, The Bystander effect interesting is this a real study? I have to say that I've seen the effect first hand.
Netchka chapter 3 . 7/31/2013
Two sets of parents are quite handy, but only when both sets are still around.
Guest chapter 3 . 7/25/2013
Like the wizard of OZ shoutout
something wrong chapter 3 . 7/14/2013
"something wrong about that story; " - Who witnessed those events and lived to tell the story "everyone knows"? It is speculation. Something significant occurred (or did not occur) that no one is discussing.
DizzyZina chapter 3 . 7/8/2013
It was nice having McGonagall shed a tear when telling the story of James and Lily's death to Harry. She always comes across so stern. Especially since they were supposed to be two of her favourite students. It shows a more approachable side to her.
Robert chapter 3 . 7/6/2013
I liked the first two chapters, but this one is tooo...He is not coming off like a ten year old. The characterization in the telling of Godric's Hollow is not there
To the TARDIS chapter 3 . 7/6/2013
That story doesn't make any since rationaly, except for James & Lily defending their son.

Poor Harry...
Anon chapter 3 . 7/2/2013
You know, normally, I don't review because socializing in any way, including anonymously over the Internet, scares me, but this, being incredibly awesome, deserves it, at least.
sillysnarrylovinggirl chapter 3 . 6/27/2013
It's easy to gloss over or forget the tragedy surrounding the Potters' death, you've captured that here rather well.
Guest chapter 3 . 6/25/2013
I find your descriptive phrases and similes rather... Peculiar. "like a hammer of titanium... On an anvil of yielding flesh". Bollocks, what the hell is that about.
Dafydd chapter 3 . 6/8/2013
Usual plot info - Basic info on Harry's mind set and so called pointer to which house harry will be in.
On the house issue I am keep an open mind due to no info on how the Dumbles will be portraid as of yet.
Yes info given so far points to the claws but we will see
LMTR14 chapter 3 . 5/24/2013
3 chapters in and I can already say this is one of the top 5 fics Ive ever read.
Guest chapter 3 . 5/23/2013
I really should go to sleep but this story is too additive!
ReadingStar chapter 3 . 5/13/2013
Your book is really interesting!
epsilon-sagittarii chapter 3 . 5/6/2013
The great thing about this fic is that I can't feel guilty about procrastinating by reading this because I'm learning at the same time! Thanks for the inclusion of who conducted the Bystander Effect experiment, I needed to find an article on it for my psychology assignment :)
Fave Quote: "Harry didn't blink. It wasn't like anyone was turning into a cat" (I actually paused and laughed at this for a good 30secs)
Also the one about the Evans-Verres/Verres-Evans family rule about bookshops :D
Shadow Bane chapter 3 . 4/27/2013
Ok, guess i'm used to Hagrid's hushed speech in the leaky cauldron about the whole Potter death Story, rather then Minerva, the STERN professor's teary eye face and reluctant telling of it. and in diagon alley to, really weird. in a good way. makes Minerva well ummm... more... well seem more unlike an icy person. I was thought her cold. guess my view can be semi-changed. which by the way isn't an easy thing to do so congrats on that one.
RussianDestruction chapter 3 . 4/18/2013
I just love the interaction btwn McGonagall and Harry. Again, the way you're writing is so much better than canon. I love the subtle digs at JKR's plot holes (we love her, but she's not that great of a writer, dammit!) For ex: McGonagall deciding she might as well just tell him the whole story, seeing as anyone on the street could just do it! :P
sww11685 chapter 3 . 4/15/2013
Really enjoying the story so far,
sbh1997 chapter 3 . 4/12/2013
omg I love this! haha and being in AP Psych and reading about Darley and Latane's study makes it even more relatable and interesting! haha this is so awesome! Great job to the person that wrote this!
Guest chapter 3 . 4/6/2013
So basically, this is Harry Potter if he was a Ravenclaw instead of Gryffindor. Which honestly, makes him a much more palatable little boy to read about.
Hannah chapter 3 . 4/2/2013
It seems as if Harry really is a product of his environment; I wonder if there are character traits of his that carry over from the books, despite the stark difference in his home life. I'm not a psychologist, but it reminds me of the whole "nature versus nurture" debate. You know, are people's personalities already formed at birth, or are they shaped by their environments?
Lahel chapter 3 . 3/31/2013
...I JUST got that Wizard of Oz reference.
TheOnlyMeThereIs chapter 3 . 3/4/2013
another good chapter:D
yoloswagmaster chapter 3 . 2/28/2013
Poor Harry :[
blewis61 chapter 3 . 2/27/2013
Well the McGonagall I know and love came out a bit more in this chapter :). Just wanted to say that I like the way you are keeping the basic events but changing them to fit your story arc (bookstore instead of broom shop, etc). Looking forward to reading more.
Je vais oublier chapter 3 . 2/15/2013
Upon meeting Draco I may have accidentally spewed my tea onto my boyfriend's face over my laptop and then have been unable to read this (or stop laughing) for an additional 3 minutes.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

That has been the funniest thing I've read in a solid year.

In endless admiration,
VZ
Archet chapter 3 . 2/15/2013
"That is the most Ravenclaw thing I have ever heard."

That line had me almost literally rolling on the floor laughing. Fanfiction is a truly amazing thing, I think.
Lianne chapter 3 . 2/14/2013
nice, natural feel to the prose
Skaz Wolfman chapter 3 . 2/12/2013
Damn. Just damn. Minerva tells a good story
tiggerbone chapter 3 . 2/3/2013
I hope that you are happy. I should be working. But, no. I am reading your story. Because I enjoy it.

When I lose my job ... well, it will be my own fault. I retain control of my mind and body.

Still. The fact that you have written an engaging story is not helping.
Opaline Star chapter 3 . 2/3/2013
This is brilliant. I'm so glad i stumbled upon your fic, one of the best I've read so far!
reader chapter 3 . 2/3/2013
storm of weeping? :D
In my opinion: Harry is over reacting, emotional distance from James and Lily and being in the middle of a street would call for a more tempered reaction like sniffing, blinking, looking into the distance or taking a shaky breath
Enei Emmu chapter 3 . 2/2/2013
Hm... I wonder if Harry is going to be a Gryffindor like in canon or a Ravenclaw like McGonagall hinted. Either way, I'm going to enjoy this tapestry of brilliance.
TophFan chapter 3 . 2/1/2013
This is really proffesional...just...wow
Guest chapter 3 . 1/30/2013
Dear God in Heaven. It's Harry Potter if Harry Potter was *me*!

I can't even begin to express my love.
EmeraldWings90 chapter 3 . 1/27/2013
"When you walk past a bookshop you haven't visited before, you have to go in and look around. That's the family rule."
"That is the most Ravenclaw thing I have ever heard."

LOL. This is brilliant - I just started reading. :)

-Wings
evier chapter 3 . 1/20/2013
My English isn't good enough but HPMOR seems like interesting...
Manga154 chapter 3 . 1/7/2013
Anything less then RAVENCLAW and the other house mates would go insane...
Or harry would go insane and in the name of science deside to take a "test-dummy" or two for experiments.
Biabara chapter 3 . 1/3/2013
They have a life-altering conversation about Voldemort and Harry's dead parents.. where? In the middle of a crowded street? Eherm o.O
BiblioMatsuri chapter 3 . 1/3/2013
He doesn't play the game, but he reads the rulebooks. ...Nerd. (Hey, I read fanfic about a kid's book series. I'm allowed to call people nerds.)

There is no perfect theory, only the best fit hypothesis - the least wrong.

Excellent use of language.
A Drop of Starlight chapter 3 . 1/1/2013
Aw man ... if Harry had realized that there was something wrong with the story then he might have figured out everything about Voldemort with his awesome powers of rationality ... but then, the awesome bits of this story would cease to exist :P
cheezesauce chapter 3 . 12/30/2012
This story is great!
shieldmaiden19 chapter 3 . 12/19/2012
It's an interesting concept: Harry as a Ravenclaw, and consequently (I think), afraid to say You-Know-Who's name.
Schizoid13 chapter 3 . 12/18/2012
snif,so sad...snif.
StrangeoneXD chapter 3 . 12/16/2012
I find this a much more interesting take on what happened, or rather a more interesting reaction of sorts. It's much more endearing
Dan Riddle chapter 3 . 12/11/2012
Just AWESOME!
Guest chapter 3 . 11/28/2012
why do you call them genetic parents? why not birth parents or biological parents?
sadistic dreamkiller chapter 3 . 11/10/2012
Almost cried. Almost.

-sniff-

Damn. That was short but powerful. I like how you made this Harry feel for the parents he never knew. He finally realized what they've done for him.
Janeth. H. Bucio chapter 3 . 10/16/2012
I couldn't help but noticed that Harry does have a sympathetic quality in your writing like that J.K Rolwling has provided for him in her writings, that his ability to rationally think can affect the way he responds to things emotionally. This will be very interesting to see as the chapters progress. I wonder if his journey will help him understand this in a short time, or if it will be stretched out through out his stay in Hogwarts.
Nerdasaurus chapter 3 . 10/13/2012
I am enjoying the story very much so far. Though I have to wonder why McGonagall would refer to Voldemort as "The Dark Lord." Harry pointed out in the original series that only Death Eaters call him that.
Princessdiana516 chapter 3 . 10/4/2012
Love what your doing.
LordXeenTheGreat chapter 3 . 10/1/2012
I like this harry
Tofs chapter 3 . 9/29/2012
"So you wish that I could continue in blissful ignorance? There is a certain flaw in that plan, Professor McGonagall."

I love how Harry speaks to Minerva. :) This is so great!
Zephyr chapter 3 . 9/25/2012
Why should the word Voldemort have that power? What would happen if Harry was learning French and heard that word?
Looking to the future chapter 3 . 9/13/2012
your story is twisting and turning and has the potential to become something great
Guest chapter 3 . 9/6/2012
Chapter 2 Title was a bit weak. This one is awesome though. Part about Harry's past was less than clear. Worst chapter so far, but still amazing! Meaning the other two were even better!
JoannaKent chapter 3 . 9/5/2012
After I read a surprisingly good first chapter, I can't help but check with the reviews to see what other people are thinking. Now, I don't usually go for AU's but this was too good to pass up, I have a real love of any fiction regarding geniuses especially a child who is a genius because they keep a sense of innocence and still have a lot to learn about the world no matter their IQ. I have read a terrible amount of fan fiction that deals with this poorly and never goes beyond the basics of High School math/science and gives awkward vague scientific reasons to why things happen. So I'm happy to say that so far I'm really enjoying this because this seems to be a great AU explorations of how growing up under different circumstances changes everything. And I just can't believe some of the reviews I've read that they feel you're just trying to prove how smart you are by writing this and that 11 years olds don't talk like that. That's completely the point! He was raised different and I always believed Harry, if given the chance, could have been extraordinarily smart, especially since he's such a powerful wizard and I'm just squealing in delight at all of this. (Also a reference to AD&D in the second chapter? I can't believe my luck. This is like like all my favorite things rolled into one.) Also I'm also pleased that this isn't an AU where we see Harry just have a mirror image of Ron's life because I feel it's takes away a lot of what makes Harry/Hermione special. In all seriousness, I have to stop reviewing and start reading. I'm sorry if this had bothered you, just wanted to make sure to negate some of those negative reviewers who say 11 years don't talk like that. I know they don't, that's why this is amazing!
Guest chapter 3 . 8/27/2012
Yep, definitely better.
EveBB chapter 3 . 8/17/2012
I just starting reading this fic and it's clearly going to be one of my favorites. Not only is it well-written, your premise is wonderful and I am in love with your Harry. I hope the rest of the story lives up to your beginning. I am looking forward to a great read.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 3 . 8/16/2012
Math: googled factorial, but unsure about sign:
3! for knives (evil?)
2! for forks (forks and knives are octave perfection?)
4! 24 for spoons (knives & spoons are 3! 4! "perfection!"?)
I'm not getting whatever knutty joke was at play.

D&D: far be it from Harry to indulge in fantasy ... for shame!

Ah, Harry, your rational mind has fled you that you might experience the goodness in emotion, the validity of mourning biological parents' deaths. That darned rational mind of yours is at a disadvantage when love and hate are bantered about, isn't it, you poor kid, you? I prescribe a dose of Luna and feminine consciousness to redeem your masculine, rational Sol. That body-mind-spirit connection. But I'm a Petunia. So I doubt you'll listen to a parent. (Good for you. We have no idea what we're talking about, like, ever!)
Reality Hits Hard chapter 3 . 8/7/2012
I've just started this story and I'm hooked. Although, I would like to say that Harry isn't acting like Harry at all. Yes, he was brought up differently but that doesn't change who he is. Just because he was taught science by a very smart father doesn't mean that he automatically becomes a genius. And what's up with all this You-Know-Who business? I really do hope that you make Harry a Gryffindor because that's who he is. It's inside his personality. It seems to me that this Harry merely shares the same name with the Harry Potter that J. K. Rowling wrote about. This Harry is more like an OC. This Harry is like a male version of Hermione.
But, despite my dislikes about this story, I will continue reading it because
1. I have made a pledge to finish every book/fanfic that I start. (That's the only reason I got through Twilight.)
2. The plot is very interesting.
Essi chapter 3 . 8/3/2012
I very much appreciate the amount of McGonagall in this story- she's my favourite character.
Livixx chapter 3 . 8/1/2012
Ahh I loved this chapter.
voodooqueen126 chapter 3 . 8/1/2012
I wonder what will be revealed as false? Is it because to Harry murdering a baby seems irrational?
Poetheather1 chapter 3 . 7/28/2012
So very very Ravenclaw... I completely concur. Wow... I am loving this story already.
Assymetric chapter 3 . 7/27/2012
Harry looked away, suddenly ashamed. "I'm sorry," he said in a small voice. "But I have a Mum and Dad. And I know that I'd just make myself unhappy by comparing that reality to... something perfect that I built up in my imagination."

Wheezing with uncontrollable laughter. I am so glad I started reading this :D
AnimationNut chapter 3 . 7/25/2012
I would love to be a Ravenclaw. I adore reading and learning (although science and math aren't my strong point). Sadly, my Hufflepuff qualities outweigh my Ravenclaw ones xD
noiha chapter 3 . 7/21/2012

LOL! xD
Satirica chapter 3 . 7/16/2012
So I suppose Harry DOES yearn for his birth parents, even though he was raised well in this story. I think when he heard McGonagall say that his parents had protected him...that's when he started to feel the connection. Poor Harry. Even with such a mind on him, he still can't suppress sadness.
Cortana49 chapter 3 . 7/14/2012
I like the way adoptive families are legitimized here. Jo Rowling did play into outdated archetypes with unfortunate implications when she gave Harry horrible adoptive parents and saintly genetic parents. I wonder if McGonagall knows what "genetic" means?
Guest chapter 3 . 7/2/2012
Wait, why would J. be talking to me?
inkbender chapter 3 . 6/29/2012
I loved your video game references. And the Wizard of Oz glasses, bahaha! Whew, inclusion of the bystander effect. So many little details that keep popping up here and there - some of them humorous, references to other stories, some straight up from the pages of a social sciences or psychology textbook. Wow. I love this exposition.
Jaol chapter 3 . 6/19/2012
Aww, love how Harry found out about his parents!
mylifeisfandom chapter 3 . 6/11/2012
You're incredible. You've created a Harry I love even more than the real Harry.

This fanfiction is just so wonderful I can't even explain how much I love it.
Kendra chapter 3 . 6/6/2012
When I first read this, I hadn't *quite* been convinced of its awesomeness by this point. I recall thinking that Harry's odd reaction to Quirrell was rather heavy-handed foreshadowing. In hindsight (and doubtlessly in author-sight) it's necessary for the story, given whatever's between them. Still. A bit intrusive.

Harry resolving "to use safer terms like You-Know-Who" is just... weird. Rationalist-Harry, of all people, should be the one going "fear of the name increases fear of the thing itself," to quote somebody'r'other from canon. Eh, for now I'll chalk it up to Harry's reaction to something you haven't revealed.
Taylor E chapter 3 . 6/6/2012
Your fanfic is extremely well written. I took psychology so I understood the terms you used (bystander effect, diffusion of responsibility, etc) and incorporating them really improves the quality of the story. Imprrrresiveee haha. It's well written! Nice job!
zephyrwaste chapter 3 . 6/4/2012
Hmm... If the killing curse hits you, you die, eh? It can't be blocked. The killing curse doesn't leave any physical marks, either. I'm guessing a different spell hit harry, one that resulted in his strange foreknowledge of the existence of magic and professor quirrell.

Also: This is the first time I've reviewed this story. I have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you for writing it and for taking the time now to do some badly-needed editing.
benthor chapter 3 . 6/3/2012
There is much more to like about this chapter than the last one.

One thing of note however. In case that McG truely believes Voldemort was killed by the rebounding killing curse and would assert as much in front of Harry. But instead she is talking about "[...]leaving only the burnt hulk of his body[...]". An interesting way to put it if you pay attention.
Stormygio chapter 3 . 5/29/2012
Why can't my family have that rule? WHY?

Poor Harry. D: I feel...bad.

I wonder if he will, actually, end up as a Ravenclaw? I hope so. :D They rock.
mindcandy chapter 3 . 5/29/2012
So I finally caved and took a peek at this story. I'm stubborn and I've been busy and oh man, I wish I would have just stayed away. This is going to be a time suck.

Your Harry is so hilarious. This right here made me snort so loudly, it was embarrassing...

"When Harry was done sobbing into McGonagall's robes..."

Okay, that shouldn't be funny, but I wasn't expecting it and the mental images were just too much. So yeah...like I said, this story is going to be a time suck. Shame on you, I need to be writing my own story.
Kol Drake chapter 3 . 5/25/2012
I always wanted a Spoon 4 - or at least a Spork 1

Lots of nice little touches of foreshadowing in Diagon Alley. And some very cool items to shift through. I think I would have veered toward that bookstore myself.
cherapin chapter 3 . 4/22/2012
You see a remarkable face or morphology and you remind yourself that every human drags along with her a history that extends thousands of years into the past. With seven billion individuals on the planet, it's difficult to remember that every one has a past that influences her present and her eventual outcome. Thanks for the reminder in the form of a story that teaches and reminds on multiple levels and dimensions.
I Read For the Content chapter 3 . 4/16/2012
Harry desperately didn't want to miss a single item for sale, in case it was one of the three you needed to complete the cycle of infinite "wish" spells.

THIS! Right here, THIS! Someone HAS to write a fan fiction where he does something like this and abuses ALL the laws of magic.
Webidolchiu94 chapter 3 . 4/13/2012
Simply amazing. I saw this fanfiction listed on TVtropes and thought it a wonderful idea to read. Now I see that it was a wonderful Idea, and I hope to read on more. How I wish I could write for Harry Potter, but I'm terrible at it I'm afraid.
Draquia chapter 3 . 4/11/2012
I love the foreshadowing of Harry being a Ravenclaw here - even the colours of the bookstore he walked towards.

I realised something I should have said in the last chapter about Harry's dialogue: there was that one line where he sounded like he was puppeting his dad, but many of his other lines - the ones in which he was freaking out about the disintegrating laws of the universe - those belonged to his dad. That huge freakout belonged much more to the man who has based his entire life's work and more years than Harry has been alive on definitive laws of the universe, than to a child who is still young enough to have not entirely finished forming his boundaries of real and imaginary.

But I enjoyed this chapter much more, and it's not only refreshing to hear about the Potters' deaths as told by McGonagall, it's also much more realistic. That line about the guy's skin nailed to a wall would never have found its way into an actual Harry Potter book, but it's much more representative of the real terror the Voldemort struck into wizardkind at the time.
Hidden Lines chapter 3 . 4/7/2012
Wow. This chapter was pretty emotional.

"That is the most Ravenclaw thing I have ever heard."

o_O Harry in Revenclaw? That WOULD be a twist, wouldn't it?
Faerie of Tara chapter 3 . 4/1/2012
Im guessing the bookstore and bronze and blue for a reason... :)
Mr H. Potter chapter 3 . 3/25/2012
What is Harry confused about? Is it that Voldemort is still alive or simply some factual inaccuracy in McGonagal's story
Mavarax chapter 3 . 3/24/2012
Harry is awesome.
Kitti chapter 3 . 3/19/2012
I think this is my favorite chapter so far. I find that you've manipulated Harry's character a twitch and its kind've interesting to see how this new Harry Potter responds to his environment and other characters/new experiences. nice job.
tricorvus chapter 3 . 3/17/2012
Well, this is massive. Very nice, seeing Harry as smarter even than Hermione. Seeing them interact will surely be a treat. :D
Pave chapter 3 . 3/16/2012
Can the mis-spelling of the word grandson as granson be deliberate? If accidental, how has it survived so long? If intensional, how obscure!
goggles chapter 3 . 3/14/2012
Matt-Eye Moody: My mouth literally fell open for several seconds. Ye gods, Eliezer, that's either a beautiful coincidence, or the most ridiculous level of plotting I've ever seen.
Matt-Eye Moody chapter 3 . 3/13/2012
"There were merchants hawking Bounce Boots ("Made with real Flubber!") and "Knives 3! Forks 2! Spoons with a 4 bonus!" There were goggles that would turn anything you looked at green, and a lineup of cushy lounge chairs with ejection seats for emergencies."

I was re-reading and found this.

Green goggles, hmm?

Oh, did I mention this was chapter three?

I am completely impressed!
Destiny919 chapter 3 . 3/13/2012
The rulebooks are the best part! Damn, I can relate to this Harry . . .
SqrlLrd chapter 3 . 3/11/2012
I'm trying to follow the request to review each chapter, but I'm more of a lurker than a commentator. I am however trying to break that habit. so I will most likely be making short comments, unless I feel the need to point something out. And I hope the continued lack of wrong word/correct spelling keeps up, its annoying to see that someone cared to check the spelling but did not take the time to make sure they used the correct word. (I have a problem with spelling and cannot often see my mistakes, but I do have a very good vocabulary) Its a pet peeve of mine. Sorry to rant I just pushed my own button.
scorpioneldar chapter 3 . 2/29/2012
ahh the reffrences 3 D&D 1 fulbber at least in this chapter spoon 4 the ultimate throwing wepon :D
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 3 . 2/18/2012
I did'n't mentioned this last chapter, but I'm glad it's McGonagall who is introducing Harry to the wizarding world instead of Hagrid. Don't get me wrong, I like Hagrid, but McGonagall seems a more appropriate choice, given the circumstances.

After two and a half chapters of Harry rationalising everything away, it was nice to see him have a very emotional moment, especially considering it was with McGonagall. And now I'm really curious to see if you actually put him in Ravenclaw - *that* would be interesting to see.
Not my real name chapter 3 . 2/17/2012
"I had the strangest feeling that I knew him..." Harry rubbed his forehead. "And that I shouldn't ought to shake his hand." Like meeting someone who had been a friend, once, before something went drastically wrong... that wasn't really it at all, but Harry couldn't find words.

Ok, three chapter ina row got to mean something, really. Harry got killed and was send back in time, but the shock was so big he got traumatic amnesia and is not going to remember anything until chapter 100?

And what about:

"I do not have time for this."

If Quirrell doesnt have a version of Voldemort in his head... why does Harry rubbed his forehead?
Not my real name chapter 3 . 2/17/2012
"If J. K. Rowling asks you about this story, you know nothing."

Ok, you got it.

But shouldnt there be disclaimers just like this one on every chapter? For legal matters at least?
The Blind One chapter 3 . 2/15/2012
Harry's disjointed opening response here is funny on its own merits, and even funnier in light of the slightly more advanced strategy he tries with Draco.

"Rubbed his forehead." I remember thinking at the time, "Oooh, *real* subtle." Now that there's more depth to Quirell, that paragraph becomes several times more intriguing, and fuels my idea that there's some time-turning and Obliviating going on long before either starts taking obvious effect. Would certainly explain why Harry's all adult-like.

The pop-culture-y items being sold in Diagon Alley are brilliant!

Hee, the bookstore is Ravenclaw-colored - didn't catch that the first time through. McGonagall, just you wait and see what an insufferable Ravenclaw this kid is...

"Something wrong about that story," he thinks. Apart from the whole mother's-sacrificing-love bit, which is its own separate chunk of illogic, I suspect it has to do with why Harry should be the lone immune person ever. (And there's the thing he does with Quirell's AK eventually, which makes me wonder.)
eastern rosebud chapter 3 . 1/21/2012
"Spoons with a 4 bonus!" I know that this is a more serious chapter than previous ones, but I can't help associating it with this phrase...
Postmodern Prometheus chapter 3 . 1/21/2012
For a moment I thought Voldy sent a horcrux into the outerspace. But it'd be stupid. Who knows what's out there in the universe? Maybe there's worse things than death.

Laura M chapter 3 . 1/13/2012

I rather thought the point of this was to reimagine how Harry Potter's life might have turned out if he were a more rationally trained... all the while being set in the Harry Potter universe

number bonuses just doesn't fit in that universe

any way, I've had quite a lot of laughs, good job :)
profetscott chapter 3 . 1/10/2012
like how you handled the "Voldemort"-he who must not be named for fear thing.
William H chapter 3 . 12/31/2011
You've turned Harry into Ender Wiggin. That said, I'm still reading. :p
The Babel Fish chapter 3 . 12/29/2011
I suppose you noticed something amiss in the story of how Avada Kedavra rebounded?

Maybe the energy loss? If the energy to create the scar was lost from the Killing Curse, would the Killing Curse have been at full 'Killing' strength? But Abracadabra doesn't have 'modes', and Conservation of Energy was disproved by Professor McGonagall's Animagus Transformation.

I guess. I have a very basic grasp on physics, so this is all just mumbo jumbo.

The Babel Fish.
Auseptcyne chapter 3 . 12/23/2011
And so we come across something that is going to happen quite often during this story. We are going to be subjected to the use of multiple studies that I have no idea how you even remember, but I digress, your profession would certainly state that you would have those names within your long term memory.

But as I look through all the things Harry is able to remember, I truly question the fact whether or not he has Perfect Recall, for one so young, it truly does look at way. But then again, my younger Brother can rattle off Dinosaur names that he would have read about a few years ago, and I'm just left wondering whether he had actually made them up or not, so I suppose it can be done.

Again, great chapter, no real comments as of yet.

~Lyser
Deadzepplin chapter 3 . 11/28/2011
Titanium is a rather lighter material than most metals so not as apt then a regular hammer if you know what I am getting at
Creator-Time chapter 3 . 11/25/2011
I completely understand how you can be related to someone genetically but not have a connection to them past that. I also enjoy Harry's family rule. I wish I had the freedom to go through the coal of a bookstore in search on literary gems. It truly is a Ravenclaw urge, too bad I'm a Hufflepuff.
EpitomyofShyness chapter 3 . 11/9/2011
Oh poor Harry! I love the way you story tell, I already know these things but you still manage to make me choke up.
ShadowDragon010 chapter 3 . 11/3/2011
Very good chap!
Moriwen1 chapter 3 . 10/29/2011
[chapter 3]

There is no way that giving someone permission to refer to people as your "parents" rather than "genetic parents" should be that sweet.

And yet it was.

Also, love the D&D references ("forks 2! spoons 3!) and were those green goggles a covert Wizard of Oz reference? Because if so, I love you forever.
youxcan'txstop chapter 3 . 10/27/2011
I know I've already read the entire fic up to date, but I was just leaving a review in the form of a question, are you planning on continuing?

Not asking to be rude or demanding, I am just craving comfirmation that this wonderful fic that gives the original a run for its money will be continued. (it just makes me a bit nervous to know you updated so frequently, and are now, ahem, slowing down)
Pearl Bramble of Willowbottom chapter 3 . 10/26/2011
Dear Less Wrong,

I'm impressed with your inventive additions to Diagon Alley, and wonder if Harry will find as his heart's desire in the Mirror of Erised.

sincerely,

Pearl Bramble of Willowbottom
Meira chapter 3 . 10/24/2011
This was rec'd on AskMetafilter, and I tried to read it then but it didn't click. Last night I finished my last book and was scrambling for something to consume me while I waited to feel sleepy - it sucked me right in, and now I can't wait for the day to end so I can curl up in bed with your story.

Thanks!
Jonakhensu chapter 3 . 10/12/2011
"Harry desperately didn't want to miss a single item for sale, in case it was one of the three you needed to complete the cycle of infinite wish spells."

You mean like a certain wand, cloak, and rock? Though the random weapons with their bonuses is a little odd. Amusing, though.
tortue0711 chapter 3 . 10/9/2011
So far this story is really interesting. I can't wait till he gets to Hogwarts, I wonder what he will think about most of that stuff. :3
skywiseskychan chapter 3 . 9/28/2011
I must ask if you attend or attended Cornell College in Mt. Vernon Iowa. Mainly as your spoons are the most powerfully magical of your table implements and while I was there it was a well known fact that the spoons were sharper than the knives.
AR chapter 3 . 9/20/2011
As a psychology student, I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the bystander effect and to an extent even sympathize. But I wonder, if one is aware of this phenomenon..can he still be called innocent if he succumbs to it? The alternative question: does ignorance excuse his responsibility?

But i suppose selfishness is part of human nature...perhaps the most elemental part.

Still reading...still enjoying
James Hiwatari chapter 3 . 9/20/2011
That was really good - and considerably more touching than I thought it would be.

And I have to leave in 5 min, so I won't write more.

James
Popcorn Life chapter 3 . 9/15/2011
iamthexenophile chapter 3 . 9/14/2011
this-is-brilliant. you work wonders. thank you for the tears of laughter. somehow i understand the junior school teachers tearing their hair at my questions a lot better all of a sudden.
Ephemeral-Nightboy chapter 3 . 9/5/2011
This is meant for ch2, namely the Animagus transformation.

I've actually been thinking about this for a while because it is an interesting question.

I think a critical piece of evidence here is WHAT DOES THE ANIMAGUS TRANSFORMATION FEEL LIKE?

Have you ever woken from a dream in which, at the point of waking, your dream-body is in a very different position than your actual body? It's a very interesting experience, there's no sensation of movement or recalibration of your motor functions or sensory imput; indeed it doesn't feel like anything and your brain doesn't update on the any real sensory information until you actually try to move and get new feedback that overwrites that from your dream.

Would an animagus transformation feel the same way? I think it would, because the only way I can conceive of mass-variable shapeshifting is if all the matter of both states exists simultaneously as a single unchanging structure in 4 spacial dimensions.

Imagine for a moment that our universe expressed only 2 spacial dimensions instead of three. Now imagine that, living in this universe we encounter a three-dimensional object, such as a sphere, intersecting our 2-dimensional universe. If the sphere moved in the 3rd dimension, from out perspective in the 2-dimensional universe what we would perceive as an ordinary circle would appear to change size in violation of Conservation.

(Note: The theoretical 4th dimension I'm referring to here is NOT Time any more than the 3rd dimension is Time in the above 2-dimensional universe; I'm conceptualizing purely in the idea-realm of spacial dimensions, here.)

This rather neatly explains the animagus transformation: a 4-dimensional object is merely MOVING so a different CROSS-SECTION happens to intersect our 3-dimensional universe; it's not changing shape or mass at all, and the animagus can go on thinking like a human because the human brain is still there, no less a part of the 4-dimensional physical structure than it is when the human-shaped part of the animagus is intersecting our universe.

This doesn't explain TRANSFIGURATION, in this specific case of the creation of the 4-dimensional object in the first place, or in general, but it may explain mass-changing shapeshifting like animagi (or the Wolves in Luminosity for that matter).
Zera Silver chapter 3 . 8/29/2011
I'd pay good gold for a pair of bouncing boots made with real flubber!

Harry has no idea how on mark his reaction to quirrel (I think I spelled that wrong) is... On to gringotts' magical roller coaster cart rides! Thank you for the chapter.
madeyemarauder chapter 3 . 8/28/2011
Quite a rationalist, isn't he?
Reader123456789 chapter 3 . 8/28/2011
I have to say, this is a wonderfully made story, and I hope that someday you become a (If you would like to) great writer. I shall continue reading, and you shall hear from me again in chapter 5
Fenrir666 chapter 3 . 8/24/2011
I have high hopes for your Voldemort. The Dark Lord, Daemon Given Flesh, Hell God, these are all words to describe how I see an ideal Voldemort. A true monster of terrible, unspeakable power. I can't wait.
Pelahnar chapter 3 . 8/17/2011
Hmm...do these magical instincts or feelings or whatever, perhaps come from the fact that he was raised in such a rational environment? Maybe the magical part of him knows that he won't accept it if it doesn't tell him he should? I know he didn't have these feelings in the books.

And also, didn't he perform accidental magic? A lot of the examples given in the books might've come from the Dursley's abuse, but surely he lost his temper occasionally, even without them - at not being given respect, if nothing else. Surely SOMEthings happen that neither he nor his father could explain rationally...?

I read on...
Amanatsu Amaranth chapter 3 . 8/10/2011
My god - this is like the fan-made equivalent of the TV show "The Big Bang Theory!" Great story - had me laughing the whole time during the second chapter. Very nice work.
Silverdragonstar chapter 3 . 8/8/2011
Oh my a fellow D&D enthusiast, the items for sale were just great. Thank goodness the wizarding world does not have TV, could you imagine the infomercials?
RebeccaRoy chapter 3 . 8/4/2011
Wow, what a way to learn about his birth parents!
Chrissie DeKourson chapter 3 . 8/2/2011
So I suppose this is set in the same time, but why isn't Dumbledore with Harry?

This is a really great story!
RB chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
I am an intermittent reader of ff, and so far I love yours. Absolutely brilliant. Funnily enough, I came across it on the comments section of a blog I regularly read: greatbong dot net, on an article on agnosticism titled, the Question of Suffering. I thank the person who posted his comment for directing me to your story.
M chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
L, lots and lots of L!
Draeconin chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
While chapter two was very funny, the Flubber, DnD silverware and ejection seats in this chapter just sounded a jarring note, for me. It was out of place. I did like the scene with McGonagall telling Harry his parents' history, though.
Incog chapter 3 . 7/17/2011
"Harry blinked, then rallied. "Well, yes, you're very perceptive; most people don't realize that quite so quickly -""

Ahahaha.

I feel as if some of Harry's off-the-cuff rapid response hilarious BS got lost over time... Which, on the one hand, makes sense, as people get to know him, but on the other hand is kind of sad because it was one of the things which made HJPEV grow on me as a character in the first place. (He's pompous, arrogant, and doesn't seem to understand that he might have a lot of intelligence at 11 but that doesn't really correspond to emotional maturity... but he's also really funny and essentially well-intentioned so you forgive him)

Woohoo, first meeting with Quirrel! Definitely very different on a re-read, since the first time through I didn't know how much of the story was going to be changed beyond Harry's personality and therefore interpreted the encounter as if it had happened in canon!HP.

"...which hollowed into a hole, and dilated and expanded and shivered into a huge archway, revealing a long row of shops with signs advertising cauldrons and dragon livers.

Harry didn't blink. It wasn't like anyone was turning into a cat."

This line amused me. Primarily because I remember watching this scene in the movie and thinking to myself "yeah, not so impressive". D

Nerdy shout-outs!

A little bit break-the-4th-wall distracting, but I guess if you can't even stick nerdy shout-outs into your fic it isn't as much fun.

"It was like walking through the magical items section of an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rulebook (he didn't play the game, but he did enjoy reading the rulebooks)."

Again, one of those moments where if you identify with that particular trait, the line is much more interesting. D

"And she told him of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, the Dark Lord, Voldemort."

This line was very, very off. I strongly recommend rewriting it.

(Actually, this section in general was a bit weak, which is a pity, considering that it could have been ever-so-cunningly written as a gigantic treasure chest of misleading red herrings and foreshadowing.)

But the problem with this line is that it switches... not exactly tense or POV or anything like that, but flow. Since it's "she told him about this", and then suddenly switches awkwardly to what she told him, but as if skipping part of what she told him...

There's also too much heavy description where bleak, simple language would serve a much more powerful emotional punch ("like a wilding wolf, tearing and rending at the fabric of their everyday lives"- seriously?).

And of course it was your decision to have these things stated in the text, not in McGonagall's voice, and on the one hand I guess that makes it easier...

On the other hand, the emotions at the end of the chapter were done fine.

""Um. You can go ahead and call them my parents, if you want, you don't have to say 'genetic parents' or anything. I guess there's no reason I can't have two mothers and two fathers.""
Isa Knightwalker chapter 3 . 7/9/2011
I'm really curious to see if you'll put Harry in Ravenclaw! It seems so fitting, but hard to tell where you with go with it.
Guest chapter 3 . 7/5/2011
I, too, do not play D&D, but love reading the rulebooks.
partner555 chapter 3 . 7/3/2011
the chapter was short but sad
curry chapter 3 . 6/27/2011
I wonder, at this point in the story, Has it been established that Quirrel is Voldemort or not? The question seemingly still remains in chapter's 70's...
Diz chapter 3 . 6/25/2011
It's so fun to think you're going to put Harry into Ravenclaw. I like that he was attracted to the bookstore more than the broomstick store... It's so different having McGonagall show him the ropes. I wonder how he would have reacted to a man like Hagrid...
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWQYZ1234 chapter 3 . 6/15/2011
I like the rule of 'If you see a bookshop you have never been in before you have to take a look around' :L

I also like the fact that Harry was told in greater detail of the crimes of Lord Voldemort rather than it being sugar coated like then Hagrid told him.
Slayer End chapter 3 . 6/5/2011
This was my favorite scene in the movie... and my favorite part in the first book. Unquestionably.

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
Nomsterli chapter 3 . 6/5/2011
Another good one!
Mark Kelly chapter 3 . 6/1/2011
I was directed to this fanfic by my son and was initially dismissive of the very idea of fanfic. I have now read all 71 chapters with great enjoyment.

A minor citique if I may - titanium is a poor choice for a hammer since it is relatively light, soft and flexible. Ti is used when its superior strength to weight ratio and corrosion resistance are called for.

To compound the issue, pure titamium is the weakest and softest of the common forms - almost all ti used commercially is alloyed.

If you really wanted to make a hammer that could inflict serious damage, you'd use some combination of tungsten carbide and steel.
The Sovereign Lord of Darkness chapter 3 . 5/30/2011
this is a really good story i love it
Laocorn chapter 3 . 5/30/2011
I just started your story after finding it a previous read author's favorites list. I must say I am already looking forward to this story after reading two chapters partly for the humor and partly for the rationality of it all.

I would also like to thank you in advance for introducing me to Less Wrong as I feel I will be spending many an hour pouring through the site.

In any case on with reading the story.

Regards,

Laocorn
TheAzreal chapter 3 . 5/28/2011
"(And somewhere in the back of his mind was a small, small note of confusion, a sense of something wrong about that story; and it should have been a part of Harry's art to notice that tiny note, but he was distracted. For it is a sad rule that whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it.)"

There's something very fairytale like about this. Like a modern morality story. I like that.
Curious Kiwi chapter 3 . 5/26/2011
Just a brief thought - a hammer of Titanium makes no sense - Titanium is light and strong (and associated with high technology in the normal readers' mind), but Tungsten is denser, harder, and better known than, say, Osmium, which is the densest element.

Oh yes, this is the story that introduced me to Harry Potter fanfic - my productivity may never recover ;-)

Please keep writing, and keep up the quality - I'm rereading this for about the umpteenth time.
raven2103 chapter 3 . 5/25/2011
Lol, 4 spoon. I am also immediately implementing the bookstore rule. Thanks for that.
FmaFan10 chapter 3 . 5/23/2011
this chapter was very sad. but very informin to harry. great job!
Yuki Minamoto chapter 3 . 5/22/2011
Aww, poor Harry! He's starting to act like a child now.

~Yuki~
Vowie-Lou chapter 3 . 5/12/2011
yes i was wrong. in which case, i have no issue with this piece _
Vowie-Lou chapter 3 . 5/12/2011
I'll be honest, i'm not wholly convinced. I'm reading this through many recommendations (so well done there :)) and i admit, the piece is exceptionally well written. however, i just cant accept that harry has doesn't associate lily and james as his parents. it makes me upset, and therefore dislike the fic. it may change, as i've only read half this chapter (i should be revising...). but i will continue reading simply for the merit of your skill. Well done you!
Morwen Tindomerel chapter 3 . 5/11/2011

taken together with the Verres family motto: "You can never have too many books" I think I'd marry Michael myself trying as he can be to live with.
Ninjakitty chapter 3 . 4/28/2011
I'm liking this story a lot, Harry reminds me of Zack Addy from the TV show Bones. I don't know why... you are a talented writer, this is probably going to be one of the best fanfictions out there. I feel bad whenever i read the bits from the books where Harry thinks about his parents. This is only the third chapter, and i'm already sucked in! I wonder what his sleeping problem is, he seems to be an odd little boy... Good job!
sean chapter 3 . 4/27/2011
Not a member of this site or anything - I was directed here via a long, torturous TV tropes route - but thus far your writing is fresh and good, with an interesting take on the whole setting. I particularly like how you've managed to actually make the Dark Lord sound evil - in J.K. Rowling's books, he wasn't all that scary, but I guess that's because she was writing for children - but this time you've captured the feel of some pretty nasty terrorism/dark propaganda/general evilness that fits well with what Voldemort was supposed to be.

And Harry seems to be more human, a character with greater depth than in Rowling's books. I very much like how changing his adoptive father completely changes the entire story of Harry and his interactions with people. I haven't read farther than chapter 3, but I hope that the rest of your work only gets better from here on out. Thanks!
c7bi-kyuubi chapter 3 . 4/23/2011
You are going to the top of my favourite authors list, this story too. You are amazing and this is only the 3rd chapter. Awesome!
c7bikyuubi chapter 3 . 4/23/2011
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 3 . 4/12/2011
Minerva's a bit snippy with the *genetic parents* bit, but one can hardly blame her. And very, very nicely done - just when we've been going along thinking of Harry as Spock, you show his emotions, make him feel, make him cry, show us that he's human (or is he).

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, every bit of this story is very nicely done :)
Kitty O chapter 3 . 4/7/2011

Snarky. I like him.

The part about a person and his family's skins nailed to a wall was gross.
Kuro-Ookami4 chapter 3 . 4/6/2011
I was drinking and damn near had a spit-take when I read:

No Man chapter 3 . 3/23/2011
I'm loving smart Harry, and I particularly appreciate that you finally give McGonagall her chance to shine; she's one of the best characters in the HP series, but terribly underrated. Small note: I disliked that Harry resolves to call Voldemort "you know who." I realize that you are departing from Rowling's brave but rather irrational depiction of Harry, however I don't think that fearing the name Voldemort is particularly rational. Remember that Dumbledore, who is by all accounts a very rational man, also calls Voldemort by his real name (so does Hermione, eventually). I liked the substitution of books for broomsticks, being brought up as he was Harry certainly would have no fascination with sports. However if his Dad was still somewhat similar to canon James, then he might still be gifted at sports, despite his lack of interest in them. I'll be interested to see if you work that in.
The StrayXIII chapter 3 . 3/1/2011
Loving the dynamic between Harry and McGonagall here! I see now why you wrote her in instead of Hagrid. Poor big guy-he wouldn't have been able to handle rationalist!Harry as well as McGonagall(?) did.

"Knives 3! Forks 2! Spoons with a 4 bonus!" ... Gee, I wonder if they have a certain kitchen knife in stock...

Looking forward to reading more.
Smooth Trooper chapter 3 . 2/28/2011
So far so good, the only problem I see far is the chapters are a little short. But that won't be enough to make me give up on a good fanfiction like this one.
jessj chapter 3 . 2/23/2011
I AGREE. People have as many parents as they have who genuinely care about them.
Tashie chapter 3 . 2/19/2011
Crack of Doom, seriously, you CRACK me up.

'...cushy lounge chairs with ejection seats for emergencies.' Oh yeah, 'cause that'll be useful. *pulls lever in time of emergancy* "Yeah, I'm free!" *crashes into roof* "Ow..."

Poor little Harry. Crying into his Proffessors robes...

I can't even remember if he does get ito Ravenclaw... Hmm, just have to read the next chapter then.

Tashie xo
ARMH chapter 3 . 2/19/2011
Great chapter. I wonder what it is that harry didnt notice.
The Lonely Ant chapter 3 . 2/12/2011
And this is, I think, the first time I've read about Harry being actually scared of Voldemort (including canon). I guess McGonagall explains it better than Hagrid?
chuckie chapter 3 . 1/14/2011
aw but Hagrid!
OctopusByStarlight chapter 3 . 1/7/2011
I admire Harry's tremendous ability to rationalize here..
zoran chapter 3 . 1/7/2011
that's the most Ravenclaw thing I've ever heard!
DukeAtreides22 chapter 3 . 1/4/2011
Crack of Doom? yes please!
Kay chapter 3 . 12/31/2010
Re-reading this, I'm coming up with all sorts of new ideas, and I'm understanding a lot of stuff I didn't get before. You really put A LOT of thought into this. :)
joarib chapter 3 . 12/29/2010
Not much to say about this chapter. One thing to mention though, is that you one more time see the difference when Harry distinguishes between his parents and genetic parents. Nice job so far.

/Joarib
Gelacacine chapter 3 . 12/13/2010
I find it impressive that both in the canon story and here, there is an awful lot of "not until you're ready", which never seems to work out. On the other hand, the canon story seemed to hide how much was hidden a lot better: they didn't actually use that phrase in the first book, or if they did, Dumbledore seemed to expect that Harry would be told earlier.

I love the references to D&D.

I feel as if Professor McGonagall is lacking an excuse to not remember to disguise Harry when he was entering Diagon Alley. She doesn't seem like someone who would forget the reactions people would have...?
koipen chapter 3 . 12/12/2010
The description of Diagon alley seems to be a little out of the hat for me. Flubber as a word is just a bit glamentic.

I still think you handled the collision of Harry and the wizards better than most people, even though it still reads mostly like Rowlings original. It seems that writing this scene is a tumbling stone for most ficcers, and they just can't do it very well. But atleast you got most of it through in one chapter, leaving other room for fun it other chapters.

Strategic evasion due to laziness.
Southern Amateur chapter 3 . 12/12/2010
I'm in awe. Poor Harry and this genetic parent crap. Parents are parents, no matter what. Especially when they die to save you.

I love this version.
squibghost chapter 3 . 12/6/2010
Splendid concept. Not quite sure how and why "Harry" is so precocious - sort of an advanced "A Level" ten year old. After Chapter one I wondered why he wasn't created as an OC. However, once we got to the Leaky things started to resolve.

Still, brainiac Harry could use some explaining. Are wizarding brains different?

I've always looked at the magic in JKR's world as a way of bending the rules of math and physics, not as a different or higher, or more acurate set of rules.

I'll enjoy seeing where you go with this.
Los Grotos chapter 3 . 12/4/2010
I adore your version of Harry.
Tangshou chapter 3 . 12/3/2010
Improvement over cannon - concealing Harry's identity on his first visit to Daigon Alley. Also a nice contrast with the line '...something perfect that I built up in my imagination.'

*** lite spoiler ***

There's a major hint near the end of this chapter about something that STILL hasn't been revealed by Ch 63. I see you've planned some things well in advance.
Raw Power chapter 3 . 12/2/2010
I can't help but notice these wizards have a disctinclty Christian pattern to their speech, which strikes me as odd. Did they invoke the Lord like that at that point in the original, or was it already "Merlin this" and "Merlin that"?
Please write a book chapter 3 . 11/26/2010
I mean, please write *another* book, one with your own characters and world. You have the gift for making characters real-your version of Harry Potter is already vastly more real to me than Rowling's-and putting them in situations that reveal their character and give them interesting choices.

I would gladly buy a novel of yours.

Gratefully,

Mickey.
Sarshi chapter 3 . 11/24/2010
Hello!

Going through the story again :D

"When you walk past a bookstore you haven't visited before, you have to go in and look around. That's the family rule." - I stand by this rule.

Also noticed this: "And somewhere in the back of his mind was a small, small note of confusion, a sense of something wrong about that story; and it should have been a part of Harry's art to notice that tiny note, but he was distracted. For it is a sad rule that whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it." - wondering whether he noticed that Voldemort wanting to kill a baby or something just as obvious that made no sense or whether it was one of those clues you mentioned nobody ever notices.
Mind's III chapter 3 . 11/21/2010
"It made a noise that gave Harry a new referent for the phrase "Crack of Doom", and everyone froze in place."

I didn't even notice this the first few times I read it.

Also, I love your D&D-themed magic items. And I thought I was the only one who didn't play, but enjoyed reading the rulebooks...

One quibble. I see no reason for Harry to think of the mere word 'Voldemort' as intrinsically unsafe, and "use safer terms like You-know-who". It doesn't make any sense for his character, and it seems like you only offer it to deepen the contrast with canon-Harry. It's especially unlikely given that in the fic, he hasn't even heard the term

'you-know-who' yet. Unless, of course, this is the horcrux speakin again.

On the whole, this is an A chapter for me.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 3 . 11/21/2010
Excellent, always excellent.
Melverne chapter 3 . 11/17/2010
Damn fine chapter. It was much more serious than the previous two. Following a rough outline of JKR's work you have introduced several alterations which have peeked my interest. I am looking forward to see what happens next. It didn't take five chapters to capture me.

-Melverne
SecretlySeverus chapter 3 . 11/9/2010
wow... this is extremely well written. I am very impressed and blown away by the logic Harry exhibits. You also have quite a fan base (as I read some of the reviews before starting the story). Looking forward to reading more!
Vampyromaniac chapter 3 . 11/2/2010
Lanthanum: Nice punning with the Bayesilisk and nice magical Schrodinger's cat reference.

tadrinth: "The missing conversation between Quirrell and Harry over the Sirius/Bellatrix confusion is frustrating" Yes I really hope we get to hear exactly how Quirrell convinced Harry that Bellatrix was worth rescuing, beyond 'she was innocent but got corrupted. How? Oh it's all very mysterious and Dark'. I'd also like to hear what explanation Harry voiced for guessing Sirius, and how Quirrell shot it down.

loserthree: "General Chaos would charge into the deepest part of the Dementor pit, because magic doesn't hold up against Dementors over time, and wards are magic. Once there, HPEV can snap his twig and he out like your daddy wishes he was." I like the way you think! Is the bit about magic not holding up against dementors canonical, or explicitly stated in MoR, or your interpretation? Can't say I followed your speculation on the scene in Mary's Room - I'm sure it's very clever but time travel makes my brain hurt.

braindoll: "Dumbledore is hiding something about Bellatrix" Well according to Draco (and the chain of people that passed that info to him), Dumbledore is supposed to have killed Bellatrix's sister, Narcissa. Perhaps he really did kill her, and knows that Bella would come after him in revenge? Or the secret is that Bella killed Cissy but Dumbledore wants the Malfoys to think that he did? Etc.

"If it's big enough for three eleven-year-olds (as demonstrated many, many times in Philosopher's Stone), it's definitely big enough for one eleven-year-old and one emaciated adult."

I think MoR!Cloak deviates from canon!Cloak - the former seems to hide exactly one person even if the wearer doesn't entirely fit under it, while the latter hides everything that it covers and nothing that it doesn't (such as body parts that have slipped out from under it), though my memory of the books is admittedly hazy.

"Shouldn't the Aurors had asked about other prisoners, to establish a control/baseline? It means very different things if only Bellatrix is unknowable versus if everyone is."

Good point. I guess Aurors don't get trained on how to do experiments.

"Your wand," murmured Bellatrix, "I hid it in the graveyard, my lord, before I left... under the tombstone to the right of your father's grave..."

So the Death Eaters know that Voldemort's father is Tom Riddle, a Muggle, and that Voldemort is not pure-blood? Or is it only Bellatrix that knows, and she doesn't care anyway?

If only there was some way to highlight which bits have been edited or retconned since the chapters first updated. Sounds like I might need to reread from the start at some point.
Ergoemos chapter 3 . 10/27/2010
Chapter 3 Review:

While Chapter 2 might have been the beginning of the over all theme to the series, Chapter 3 reveals the true charisma (good or bad) of Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres. When not surrounded by his parents, Harry seems to blossom... into a nigh-magically sharp witted protagonist.

In the previous chapters, we never get a real taste of Harry's personality, as he was always at the short end of the stick, with his parents knowing everything about him, and his acceptance that they would see him as nothing more than a child. Once free of that shell, he can speak his mind without worry that someone might bring up the time he bit his teacher, or any other embarrassing teachers.

An interesting take by the author, and one I never had expected, was that in this universe, even Harry is reluctant to mention the Dark Lord's name, and in the telling of the story, I was quickly reminded, despite his brilliant nature, Harry is still a kid. Something that is also mentioned in the canon story, but in Rowling's version, there is no...impetus not to say the Dark Lord's name, just superstition.

An interesting note, one issue that had never bothered me, but did annoy another person I suggested this story to, was that everyone called Lord Voldemort "the Dark Lord". This is apparently also in opposition to the canon, as only evil characters called him that. Not something I picked up on, but I figured was worth mentioning.

Actually, my biggest problem with this chapter is the over top DnD references. I love the game. I appreciate many of the small references all throughout, like Potions of Feather Fall, but the 3 forks and 4 spoons are just silly. What do they do, improve flavor. Make it impossible to spill and make it easier to scoop up food? I think it would be acceptable if it was a 4 Spoon of Fire "Never let your soup get cold!" or 2 Fork of Tuning "Improve your music while you stuff your face!" Or something like that. A modifier would give a purpose to that random modifier tacked on.

Otherwise, its a good fun chapter, and Mr. Yudkowsky, thanks for the great story!
Arielrondil chapter 3 . 10/15/2010
This passage had escaped my mind when I commented on ch.47:

"Knives 3! Forks 2! Spoons with a 4 bonus!"

Here HPEV notices a connection between the magical real world, and the world described in AD&D. I don't recall him doing so again in the story - like when it comes to thinking about Speaking With Plants - which is a bit surprising given that he has evidence that the AD&D system for enchanting items appears to work for real.

(Which hints at the possibility that AD&D was genuinely written by Wizards ...)

Of course, from a story-telling point of view, you may not want to make too many AD&D references for fear of scaring off readers...
loserthree chapter 3 . 10/9/2010
HPEV meets Quirrell for the first time, in this chapter.

Is it possible that Harry does not have a 'dark side' before this? Did the 'cold' or whatever only kick in when Voldemort-in-possession-of-Quirrell did something subtle to HPEV?

Since everything is already in a tumult, it's possible HPEV's parents would not have noticed anything different. And no one else knew HPEV well enough to notice a change. Maybe something would have been noticed over the Holiday Break, but maybe not.

Or has the 'dark side' always been with him, based on his existing connection to Voldemort?
Kutta chapter 3 . 10/6/2010
great chapter
dinosaurusgede chapter 3 . 10/4/2010
Awesome chapter!
Guest chapter 3 . 10/4/2010
Harry blinked, then rallied. "Well, yes, you're very perceptive; most people don't realize that quite so quickly -" - that being it's a honor or that it's Harry Potter?

"McGonagall?" Harry said". I think Prof. McGonagall would be more in character.

Knives 3 - nice. But why mention AD&D explicitly the next moment?

The family rule - very nice. Altogether, the presentation of Harry's approach to books is commendable. Though he should explicitly at least once wonder if the magical ones in Hogwarts are true, after all it shouldn't be difficult to forge one and it's not like you can easily check another copy for discrepancy.

Bystander effect - nice.

Note of confusion - yes, must be a hint, no idea of what though :).

Great ending. Very nice backstory and interaction with McGonagall.
Nakedkali chapter 3 . 10/4/2010
Hmm, the word "soul" gets used in two different locations in this chapter. Would this word be a red flag for a rationalist or would she leave it be due to it's common colloquial use.

Professor McGonagall seems to think there is some soul to be severed. When your mind reorganizes that everything you believe is false or something like that, does it buy "soul" now?
LauralHill chapter 3 . 10/1/2010
Something that bugs me when I think about it - HOW DOES EVERYONE KNOW THAT WHAT HAPPENED THE NIGHT THE POTTERS DIED? I mean, ok, eventually Harry has the Dementor memory that proves it, but initially?
LunaSlashSea chapter 3 . 9/28/2010
Excellent chapter. Love the flubber and D&D references. Forgot to mention in last chapter's review that I adored your disclaimer.
E.A.V chapter 3 . 9/26/2010
This chapter was brilliantly surprising! I think that of all the chapters, to be truthful!
Graypdrink chapter 3 . 9/25/2010
Ah so sad, harry is bitch, cant even say voldies name.

And man the wiz world is a bitch to.

If i was part id just start killin the deatheaters family and shit.
Serpent In Red chapter 3 . 9/11/2010
I don't know if this is the continuing effect upon reading this chapter immediately after reading the last chapter, but somehow I am laughing when Harry questioned Tom back. Oh dear. The poor professors at Hogwarts. I can only imagine what would happen when Harry gets there. Hm ... now I can't wait for the interactions between Harry and the professors.

It was, indeed, more logical for McGonagall to pick up Harry. After all, I do think that she's better at explaining than Hagrid. Ah well.

I don't know if you did this on purpose: ""My granson was an Auror," she whispered to him. "Died in seventy-nine." - It should be grandson, not granson.

Mmm, I have to agree with Harry on what he said. I mean, yeah, his genetic parents did give birth to him, but the ones who cared for him so well ...

"he didn't play the game, but he did enjoy reading the rulebooks" - *sniggers* NERD! (No offense, of course, since I daresay, I'm a nerd, too *hides.)

Ah, this brings up a new question? Will Harry be in Gryffindor again? Or Ravenclaw? Now, I think it's a good thing I still have a lot of chapters to look forward to.

Mmm, from his reactions, especially when he analyzed Lord Voldemort's name, I'm thinking he's going to be in Ravenclaw.

Hm ... something wrong with McGonagall's story? *keeps that in mind*

~Serp
regulusthegreat chapter 3 . 9/8/2010
I have to say, that part about describing the Dark Lord's terror and the Potter's role was one best ways I've seen it written. That passage was well crafted and eloquently described. Good on you.
JDL45 chapter 3 . 8/27/2010
I like that McGonagall knows (and tells) details about the earlier conflict that didn't come out when it was Hagrid telling the story. The story of Yermy Wibble sounds like it might have come straight out of Rowling.
Coyote chapter 3 . 7/14/2010
Flubber! Seriously, this story, so far, is wonderful beyond the telling.
Darkness Consumes the Souls chapter 3 . 6/29/2010
...emotions are irrational...hes a whiny bitch...its like a hermione canonharry...book smarts...at least so far.

there is a reason smarter people are cold and less connected to emotions...he does not understand the reality of the world or is in ignorant bliss of it...innocence is overrated.

only when someone that is smart realizes how shitty the world is do they become truly intelligent...harry is a draco malfoy in the muggle world.
fontgoddess chapter 3 . 6/24/2010
I'm taking statistics (for the social sciences, so it's stats lite maybe) this summer and have been doing research on my own so I don't drive my professor crazy with questions like "But why did they decide to put the standard deviation at that particular point in a normal distribution? Are you sure it wasn't an arbitrary point?" In my research I came across a fascinatingly-named device called a "quincunx" or "bean machine." If you ever actually mention horcruxes in the story text by name can you mention quincunxes too? Actually, I'm really happy that you've covered some probability theory in this story because it's helping me think about these concepts better than Dick and Jane story problems in our textbook. Thinking on this, I'm actually quite grateful for all of the scientific theory and rationality subjects you've touched upon in this fic because the world you've borrowed and set up makes a marvelous mental sandbox in which to play with these ideas.

Why yes, I've resorted to posting my thoughts on chapters only tangentially (if at all) related to my points. Why do you ask? Oh, well, I may have used up other chapter reviews to actually comment on those chapters, and I may have to resort to posting things in old chapters until new chapters appear … *theatrical wink*
James Birdsong chapter 3 . 6/23/2010
Excellent
Mother of Tears chapter 3 . 6/1/2010
4 spoons. How much damage can they inflict?
Viridian chapter 3 . 5/31/2010
He's really a precocious kid. Short chapter, but I loved the first opening sentences, where Harry pokes fun at the bartender's loss of coherence.
Swurt chapter 3 . 5/27/2010
I take your 4 Spoon joke and I stab you with it. Make that a 1 Corrosive, Flaming, Icy Spoon.

I can't believe you put a DnD reference into a Harry Potter fanfiction. That... just isn't done!

Bravo. Will keep reading. Very funny. Especially about the 4 Spoon. Imagining Commoners using their life savings to buy a 32,000 gp spoon. Sorry for the grammar. Trying to sound cool and aloof.

-Mr. Cosmos
sonhoon chapter 3 . 5/22/2010
Great story!

The only thing that really bothered me while reading the story is that Harry kept on referring to James and Lily as his genetic parents. No one really says that. He should be referring to them as his biological parents.
Mr.Destructo chapter 3 . 5/20/2010
omg a review!
Greytune chapter 3 . 5/11/2010
Harry Potter-Evans-Verres, Master of Rationality. Or Head Rationalist, however you want to see it.

Strangely, it sounds good.
wdango chapter 3 . 5/8/2010
Wow. Certainly not as brilliant as the last one, but still pretty awesome. You have a way with disclaimers. How do you do it?
LuMiLoS chapter 3 . 5/3/2010
I have sampled many Harry Potter tales that exist within an alternative universe similar, but diversely separate from the mainstream. Needless to say I have seen many that brought shame upon the novel, but you're story is one that I will always look upon with respect and admiration to its creator.

Using big words and phrases is fun :))

P.S. ur awesome
theyhaveeels chapter 3 . 5/2/2010
ooh, DnD.

oh, spoon 4.

the cycle of infinite wish spells - this sounds awfully like a reference i should know, but, well, dont - or, is it just random?

/ finishes the chapter

..thats it for now.
dead feather chapter 3 . 4/27/2010
This is heavy and slow to read. Perhaps it will mellow out in time. Nevertheless this is interesting.
MegaB chapter 3 . 4/26/2010
Ohohoho!

A bit of a morbid chapter, aye? It was oddly fitting however; it came off as a natural part of the story and it didn't seem as if you'd forced yourself to write that last bit in.

Which is awesome.

I wonder how he'll react when he meets Hermione? This shall be comedic crack I am sure.

~B
TxA-GunFighter chapter 3 . 4/19/2010
Very good chapter.

Gunny
Alex chapter 3 . 4/13/2010
This is a very interesting story. I really like a Harry that thinks and analyzes this new world. One thing surprised me though:

"and he resolved then and there to use safer terms like You-Know-Who."

This statement seems very much contrary to any kind of rationality. After all, it is just a name, an arrangement of letters. Why would a rational Harry decide not to say a word based solely on a 'feeling' he gets when he hears it? It also seems like it would take a great deal of cowardice to be afraid to say a word. Though, I do like it when Harry thinks more before taking action, I cannot abide a fearful Harry that is more likely to hide behind someone's skirts than to protect people that are in danger.
Makurayami Ookami chapter 3 . 4/11/2010
well written.
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 3 . 4/10/2010
Still fantastic, and I love this Harry more and more! You are quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite stories.

Also, one question I forgot to ask: Is the 26-hour sleep-cycle based on a real medical case, or on the one xkcd strip where the guy's internal clock is drifting west? (I assume, based on the knowledge you seem to have, that you read xkcd (a webcomic). If you don't, you should.) Or neither?
roshane chapter 3 . 4/2/2010
you made harry seem like a weakling fearing voldishorts name so uncool.
tatewaki2000 chapter 3 . 4/2/2010

You've blown me way again. :D

3 out of 3
Orchamus chapter 3 . 4/1/2010
*frowns*short
liareh chapter 3 . 3/27/2010
CH 3 Review:

For all of Harry's rationality, I am glad that there are small bits and pieces of him acting like a 11-yr old - whether it was hating his parents arguing/not arguing, biting incident ( rather, his response to his parent's relating the incident ) and now wandering away from McGonagall for a minute. Finally of course, his reaction to hearing Mc Gonagall's recounting of his story ( now, history).

I am glad that he is sounding 11 yr old still.

Good going.
David M. Potter chapter 3 . 3/22/2010
bravo!
yoyoente chapter 3 . 3/20/2010
*Quivers* I can't wait to read about the Goblins. They will either wish to kill Harry or love him dearly. :)
uo-chou chapter 3 . 3/19/2010
Interesting. So behind his rationalist exterior, Harry is still a normal boy. Excellent. I don't like Harry Stu's. Keep up the good work.
hordac85 chapter 3 . 3/17/2010
nice
Cassandra30 chapter 3 . 3/13/2010
It will come back again. His rationality that is. When it is that much an integral part of your life it doesn't leave for long.
riayi chapter 3 . 3/12/2010
It is so very satisfying to read a well written story, where fare is not substituted by fair, or there with their, and has a fun and original premise, that really, I don't know what to say. Rationalist Harry is such a refreshing change, that I can already imagine the following days, years, or months checking daily to see if you've added another chapter. In chapter 5, the scene with Draco was specially nice, and I guess it can lead to all kinds of interesting (and fun, again) changes to their relationship. The intermissions in italics are a bit of a puzzle, but I suppose everything will get explained eventually.
Hedwig's Owl chapter 3 . 3/11/2010
Still compelled to review... I love that Harry's unfazed by the Diagon entrance because it's not like turning into a cat. It's also great that he differentiates between his parents and his genetic parents, but that he then accepted Lily and James as parents as well. Plus I completely and utterly love what you're doing with the characters, Harry and McGonagall are great! The references to flubber and the 'knives 3' things are also cool.

Awesomest line: "an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rulebook (he didn't play the game, but he did enjoy reading the rulebooks)". And we thought *Hermione* was bad :) Everything you need to know about Harry in one simple set of parentheses.
whitehound chapter 3 . 3/10/2010
Hmm - OK, maybe, although we're not actually told that you have to hate someone to make the Unforgiveables work - only that you have to really mean them. There are plenty of reasons why you might really mean someone to die, without hating them.

I like the relationship he has with his adoptive parents - Petunia is still a bit of a pain but in a different way. And I love the bit where he kind of thinks it's natural for people to think he's wonderful.

Harry wouldn't call Minerva "McGonagall" just like that, btw - a friend in her own age-bracket might, or her employer, or soemone being intentionally rude or jokingly rude, but not a reasonably polite child. He might well call her "Minerva", or failing that "Professor", or Miss or Mrs McGonagall, or just plain "Miss", and a man would be "Mister".
duj chapter 3 . 3/10/2010
He's not only smarter than canon-Harry; he's more attuned to his own sensations. Dare we hope that he'll realise the pain in his forehead when he catches Snape's glare at the sorting feast is related to the wrongness he's already felt in Quirrell? And how will that, plus knowing the answers in Snape's class, affect their subsequent dealings?
GameGuardian2x chapter 3 . 3/10/2010
You only need one item to start an infinite WISH loop. Candle of Invocation. And you can get it by Summoning Pazuzu.

Well, you can in 3.5e anyway. Maybe you actually needed three back in the AD&D days. I suppose that's progress, eh?
blue artemis chapter 3 . 3/10/2010
That poor kid. Too many paradigm shifts in one day.
Tildessmoo chapter 3 . 3/10/2010
PURE AWESOME! This must continue to update! Philosophers, physicists, and sociologists the world 'round implore you!

Also, you might be interested in Run That By Me Again? by Sara1281, a collection of one-shots in which Harry and Hermione try to force the wizarding world to abide by the rules of logic.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 3 . 3/9/2010
Interesting, crossover merchandise in Diagon Alley.

Great chapter. Nice summary of Harry's info dump. McGonagall must have used a time-turner to fit all that in on the walk to Gringotts. ;-)
Aries The Ram chapter 3 . 3/5/2010

LMFAO does not even begin to describe my feeling after reading this.
Cinnamon Selkie chapter 3 . 3/3/2010
Thus far I find this story absolutely brilliant. Please update it soon. Cinnamon.
The Nachoman chapter 3 . 3/3/2010
Alright, Petunia spurned Vernon and managed to land a book eater and physics professor. Thus, a Harry who lives by the cientific method and is even more scientific literate that I was by his age enters Hogwarts.

Terrifying. Astounding. Now you even managed to write the most convincing explanation on the mechanics of the Killing Curse that I have read these past few years.

You have me with hook, line and sinker. Take as long as you need to update: quality work can't be rushed.
StoryTagger chapter 3 . 3/3/2010
Hm, there is a lot wrong with that story. For instance, who was the betrayer, how did Voldeshorts get beyond all protections. But most importantly, how does anyone know what happened? Seriously it's like the old story about ghost ships that left none alive. If none survived that could tell the tale then how did the tale become told. In other words, no Voldie, no James, no Lily, and a baby Harry without the cognitive abilities to tell his story. Thus three possibilities: 1.) The whole thing was guessed at or made up. 2.) A coward/betrayer etc. stood back and watched it happen. 3.) Someone guided everything just right into happening as they wanted it. Course I probably missed possibilities 4-? whatever they may be...
lady sakura cosmos chapter 3 . 3/2/2010
good story
DarkHeart81 chapter 3 . 3/2/2010
Loved Harry's trip to get his school supplies. But one thing bugs me and doesn't, I think, really fit with the Harry you've created in this fic. Logic and rational thought would dictate that there is no reason to fear saying Voldemort. And to Harry I think the name would seem strange but hold no real fear for him. People don't fear to say Hitler or the name of any other tyrant, terrorist, or mass murderer in the muggle world so it doesn't really make sense for Harry to fear the name.
BenRG chapter 3 . 3/2/2010
A very interesting story concept and one that I've only previously seen approached from a humourous perspective (Rorsharchesblot's "Better Living Through Chemistry" for example).

It should be interesting to see what this very clear-minded Harry makes of the wizarding world and its inherit contradictions, stupidities and illogical thought-patterns. I'm REALLY looking forward to how the kid uses arithmancy, potions and ancient runes, the most scientific of the Hogwarts diciplines IMHO. I strongly expect his experiments to start racking up explosions fairly quickly.

I'm pretty sure that this Harry will be suited for Ravenclaw, although Dumbledore may wish him to be in Gryffindor and force the Hat to sort him appropriately. It should be very interesting to see how this very different personality handles the adventures awaiting him.

I have to congratulate you in making Harry still recognisably a pre-teen boy. He can be frightened, overwhelmed and his thinking disrupted by his emotions. It is the downfall of too many HP fanfictions that they make Harry virtually an adult (if a somewhat bipolar one). You seem to have avoided that trap so far.

BenRG's Rating: 8/10
cheekylildevil chapter 3 . 3/1/2010
Wow, just incredible. I think this may be your best chapter yet, I adored the sheer amount of curiosity you could feel coming from harry as I read this, and the emotion as harry was told about his parents, and his quote at the end nearly moved me to tears.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful piece with the world.

Indi
Ninggay chapter 3 . 3/1/2010
Love the story. It's an interesting twist o the usual tales out on the web. I hope you continue with it. Somehow I picture that he and hermione will either be the best of pals because of his intellect and love of books, or be mortal enemies because of his obvious questioning of the status quo. I can't wait to see how he and snape get's along. And i picture hogwarts having much mayhem if he teaches the weasley twins the scientific method of experementation (with him assisting of couse... forget about mayhem, hogwarts would be in chaos like one of the results of ranma saotemes fights in nerima chaos...)
wetterwaxs chapter 3 . 3/1/2010
I would laugh if he became a Gryffindor! Poor McGonagall. This Harry and Hermione together...
Wind172 chapter 3 . 3/1/2010
Loving the story right now. Are you going to get into theory of magic?
J-Kid chapter 3 . 3/1/2010
Oh, I am looking forward to reading more of this! What fun. I think I will look forward to Rational!Harry. I wonder how he will react to the Weasleys and Hermione and other characters in the HP series? (Well, considering Hermione is the secondary char. I've got a pretty good idea what will happen there. But it would be cool if he decided she was irrational- because sometimes Hermione IS irrational about various things (brilliant people can still be irrational, after all)- and they had to work to understand each other at first.
hhrforeverhhr chapter 3 . 3/1/2010
very very nice, i am loving how you are writing this story. i can't wait for the next chapter, update soon! wow, best story eva!