Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
I LOVED IT I LOVED IT I LOVED IT THAT WAS SO GOOD AND COOL AND I FELL FOR ALL THE NARRATIVE TRAPS BUT IT WAS SO GOOD AND OF COURSE THAT WOULD BE WHAT HERMIONE TRIED TO INSTILL IN HER ARMY
ack1308 chapter 30 . 4/6
The Art of War is a book, after all ...
Reaper8439979 chapter 30 . 1/10
I love this story but I hate Hermione so it's so hard to read since she's such an important character... ;;
JadeKazanari chapter 30 . 12/25/2016
This military segment is awesome, by the way. Just how much research did you do in writing this fic? You're amazing.
JadeKazanari chapter 30 . 12/25/2016
I love the small detail of how each of the wing leaders "react" to saying their code names (is that the right term?). I especially like how Dean "waited his entire life to say it". That really made me grin.
MallowPrint4876 chapter 30 . 11/16/2016
DRAGON ARMYYY
Is this by any chance purposely a reference to Ender's Game or is it just me
Jatok chapter 30 . 11/14/2016
God that was horrible. Does no one ever think to confirm their kills? It's common bloody sense.
Ellae chapter 30 . 9/3/2016
Ugh.
This entire journey has been an indescribably stunning (& educational) piece of work, but even expecting the twist in this chapter, this just got me. It got me good.
I was initially frustrated that Hermione would resort to Romance, even satirically (and keeping in mind she's only 12) but she just leveled up hard on Harry/Q/McGonagall for me
sunset oasis chapter 30 . 9/3/2016
I love Harry and Draco's reactions ... they're so fun to read.
ranoshi chapter 30 . 8/26/2016
I was disappointed when I thought Hermione's army was taken out so easily but hopeful since she was still in the game and then HER ARMY WAS STILL ALIVE and I shook my fist in glory when they prevailed. Long live the Sunshine Regiment! Goyle being almost invincible and his own army was a nice touch.
The Anguished One chapter 30 . 6/13/2016
Underestimating General Granger lead to Harry and Draco's downfall. Really fun battle overall, I loved Harry's tactics. It didn't work in the end, but it was still really funny.
Happy chapter 30 . 5/26/2016
Oh so much laughter! And good for Hermione!
Distorted Veil chapter 30 . 2/1/2016
BBBBBUUUUUULLLlSSSHHHHIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT... I reaaaallllllyy wanted Harry to win.
Montara chapter 30 . 1/22/2016
:DDD
Secre chapter 30 . 1/5/2016
You've read Ender. By that token, Draco should have won. It's the rules!
bugaboo13 chapter 30 . 12/14/2015
This might sound very anti feminist but I believe u are making Harry lose too much too hermoine
teabrows chapter 30 . 12/9/2015
Okay.. So apparently Hermione is perfect. I mean seriously, I would never have expected her to be good in military stuff and apparently she is. It's just, woah she's good at literally everything. i'm kinda frustrated at that.
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 30 . 12/6/2015
I love Hermione! She is brilliant, and both of the boys totally underestimated her. This is a very good lesson for all of them, especially Harry and Draco. Overall an excellent chapter!
ShadowLDrago chapter 30 . 10/17/2015
... Well played Herminone, well played.
httpkirby chapter 30 . 10/16/2015
That...was horrible. Where the heck did that come from?
SilverRider09 chapter 30 . 8/28/2015
...I'm cracking up. This is hilarious.
Zyxis chapter 30 . 8/13/2015
. . . WHAT. IN. THE. NAME OF THE FLYING, FUDGE COVERED, ELDRITCH SPAGHETTI MONSTER JUST HAPPENED? -
EchoL4 chapter 30 . 8/10/2015
Don't be happy, don't be glad
We'll slowly kill you 'til you're dead
And send you to a prison doom
Where only criminals come to room
Make sure they realize you were sent
By Granger's Evil Delinquent!
Feeling particularly morbid today
~Me
kabs chapter 30 . 7/12/2015
NOOOOO!
Raven Blanchard chapter 30 . 7/9/2015
Murder Granger now. God, I never hated a fanfic Hermione so much!
n-khotomos chapter 30 . 7/8/2015
HP X Death Note and HP X Ender's Game in one fanfic is insane. Let alone everything else here :)
Lanky Nathan chapter 30 . 6/9/2015
Ugh... that ending hurts me deep down inside
Guest chapter 30 . 6/1/2015
I knew the Sunshine Regime was going to win.
Gradus chapter 30 . 5/21/2015
Harry had tried to get the name Dragon Army.

I've had in my head all along that this is essentially a fan fiction of what Harry Potter would be like with Ender Wiggin's brain inside (especially after the "killing intent" scene.) This nicely timed reference seals the deal )
PA chapter 30 . 5/20/2015
Bwuahahahaha! As beautiful as I expected. Bravo! Bravo!
dksamuri chapter 30 . 5/7/2015
Great story, great chapter. And I love your battle cries!
Hippothestrowl chapter 30 . 3/24/2015
Haha! I always felt Sunshine would win to make the story good (least likely character is usually the murderer in whodunnits) and when they fell so easily I suspected most of them were faking. But then when Neville faked it I figured you wouldn't use that ploy again. That's what I was supposed to think, right? :(
Village-Mystic chapter 30 . 3/22/2015
Amusing. Lots of layers going on. Neville had fun, even if he did over monologue. It was good the learn the lesson then.
Guest chapter 30 . 3/5/2015
Nearly all of the ideas in the story are great, but Hermoine's strategy was too obvious. I guessed it as soon as she divided her forces.
LauraDragon chapter 30 . 2/21/2015
Oh Harry dearest, don't you know it's impolite to swear in front of a lady? ;3
00 Non C. Anon 00 chapter 30 . 2/3/2015
First: I love all the references in this chapter.

Second: I get the whole "study hard" message, but good lord I'm getting tired of Hermione winning. I swear, every time Harry turns around, she beats him. It's getting irritating. It wouldn't be so irritating if she wasn't such a poor winner and gloated and shouted that she won every time. But... she does, and good lord I want to see someone call her out on her bullshit. That, or actually WIN against her. That would be okay too. That would actually probably be better, because she would be brought down a peg or two.
Guest chapter 30 . 1/25/2015
Saw Granger's win comming from a mile away.

But it was still SO satisfying. XD
Bakkughan chapter 30 . 1/6/2015
Is it wrong for me to read this in eddie izzards voice?
goyisherebbe chapter 30 . 12/25/2014
I detect the influence of Ender's Game here.
TheButterflyComposer chapter 30 . 12/24/2014
Completely called that.
Also have to say that Hermione was gambling in the chance that her insane genius friend wouldn't either do so thing drastic, harmful or damaging to her troops in the first attack.
And Draco didn't pick up, from years of watching Auror training and battle techniques, to pick up enemy wands when you beat them?
Imbecile.
Excellent chapter, with believable tactics and strategy, for three first time generals. I expect a massive chewing out and a lot of really annoying gloating from Hermione in the next chapter.
xikum chapter 30 . 11/30/2014
Whohoo - very, very cool! Nothing like reinforcing the tendency to underestimate the (girl) enemy.
Sue Clover chapter 30 . 11/10/2014
I can do anything if I study hard enough. That is my new motto. This was one of my favorite chapters yet.
guitarlover56784 chapter 30 . 9/15/2014
FUCKIN knew they would win
Guest chapter 30 . 9/13/2014
Nice.
Sparkly Martian chapter 30 . 9/7/2014
Omgosh, I think I am in love! I love Ender's Game, and all the references!
"The enemy's gate is down"
"The enemy's gate is sideways"
Yup, I think I'm insane.
rakoun17 chapter 30 . 8/31/2014
really i hope harry actually wins one soon. hermione s starting to get on my nerves.
Redery chapter 30 . 8/14/2014
That was incredible! Really enjoyed this chapter. Especially Neville busting out his inner bad ass xD

I loled at the amend when Hermione won. Harry should've known better xD
Glenstorm63 chapter 30 . 8/5/2014
I am so enjoying this series which I stumbled across only five days ago. Despite some of the interminable and overly labyrinthine explorations of philosophy and scientific method which leave me a little lost sometimes (I had to speed read a fair bit or read some passages six times, but don't get me wrong, it is this grist in the mill which I love about this series), it is the pace, the outrageous humour and Harry's mountainously impossible capacities (and flaws) at eleven years old, which have had me barking in glee. This series would never work at the depth it does for people unfamiliar with Rowling's writings because of the way we are treated to an exploration of the possibilities inherent in the world she created but did not explore. My constant irritation when I read her earlier books was the seemingly unimaginative application of magic and the anti-climactic way in which each book finished. Glad to find the fast paced episodic approach skirts this problem. I particularly appreciate the way the familiar characters and personalities have been grabbed and twisted into new shapes but which are still recognisable and therefore hysterically funny. I love the way in which we get to go inside the main protagonists' heads and know their vintner thoughts and self doubts at the same time as observing their outward performances. Many of the laws and principles of rationality which are being applied so aptly in each chapter have some familiarity and so it it is delightful to read and "watch" this play out in the ridiculously plummy and nonsensical Hogwarts miniverse with this new Harry's particular blend of rational thought and utter raving lunacy.
thepkrmgc chapter 30 . 8/2/2014
yay for Berzerker!Neville of the chaos legion and more character development for hermione
Guest chapter 30 . 7/24/2014
Hahaha. They totally deserved that xD
A chapter 30 . 6/10/2014
I'm understanding how this story now relates to the meaning of where you are in life. You can do anything if you study hard enough, hoping you choose the right thing. But what if you don't mean to do bad things, intentionally. & what if someone didn't have the perfect memory, would they get left behind?
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 30 . 5/17/2014
Sunshine!
Arabella Lee Smith chapter 30 . 4/10/2014
Yay, Hermione! Yay, Neville, too! I wondered if anyone would fake sleep as a tactic.
stupdfatsmurf chapter 30 . 2/12/2014
I really don't think Harry would have lost
IXAthenaeum chapter 30 . 2/8/2014
-fistpumps- Hell yeah! Granger just trumped their a-

Great job on this chapter :D
Grizzmon chapter 30 . 1/13/2014
Well, I don't think she can repeat a win like that... right?
aang chapter 30 . 1/11/2014
Great story, absolutly cracked up at at harrys pre war speeach and neviles thoughts!
Makokam chapter 30 . 1/9/2014
DAMNIT!
I was SO close.
-sigh-
At least I can say I was sure Hermione would win, even if I was a tad off on how.
Guest chapter 30 . 1/4/2014
I'm really hating you and your story.

I know Harry can't be über smart brilliant at everything, and he needs a challenge. Maybe that's going to change soon.

I love Hermione but I REALLY hope you have a better reason for this than getting to watch Harry squirm.

And Hermione's character in HPMOR is just impossible. It doesn't differ TOO much from the books but I hope Harry's going to kick her ass soon.

(I am aware that she wants to be known for herself. But I don't think I can bear it much longer; she's brilliant but utterly idiotic. Romance? Wishful thinking, much?)

So to sum that up: I want Harry to be more POWERFUL than Hermione. Harry is smarter than in the books but so's Hermione. I know it's called fanfiction for a reason but in the books while Harry wasn't as smart, he had raw power and emotion.

idk what I'm saying anymore. I just needed to rant.

Still love the story though :)
CMVreud chapter 30 . 12/30/2013
Oh, oooh...
Wait Spoilers:
Cant wait till Neville and Daphne get together.
Blood and Skullz for Greengrass of Sunshine.
z1dytd12901z7018273f18y2f31238 chapter 30 . 11/19/2013
Wow, I really like this chapter. I met all expectations and more. I love the battle description and the action, it was very well written with good pace and focus. It actually felt like I was in the forest, living that battle.

I loved the tactics mentioned, and the immense detail that was put into it. I could follow every action and it was almost like a chess game. The winner was unexpected but realistic, and I think I definitely got the moral to that. :)
nightelf37 chapter 30 . 10/8/2013
Being a brony by the time I'm reading this, I just can't help but imagine this Battle Magic war games as a three-way battle royale between Princess Celestia (Sunshine), an OC A.I. unit (Dragon), and Discord (Chaos). It doesn't help that Harry's emblem is a hand poised with fingers ready to snap, which Discord (and before him, Q of Star Trek: The Next Generation) is best known for.

Tell me, did Harry get the idea of his emblem from that show (Star Trek: The Next Generation, not My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as it aired at 2010 and is a fantasy/life-lesson show that Harry wouldn't be interested in)?
jaelin910 chapter 30 . 9/5/2013
sounded more like the moral was 'trick everyone'
addikhabbo chapter 30 . 8/17/2013
LOVET!
Lunacom chapter 30 . 8/16/2013
Hermy's song is kinda creepy.
chai chapter 30 . 7/17/2013
awesome chapter!
sunshine ruled and hermione was cool
i can really imagine the expressions on draco and harry's face haha
ZenaraTheDragon chapter 30 . 7/9/2013
Neville is now a badass. And Hermione is an evil military mastermind. And Quirrell is Q.
WHAT.
Anon chapter 30 . 7/3/2013
Everything about this is beautiful and perfect.
MarkerIV chapter 30 . 7/2/2013
I must comment on my reread of this chapter... Neville is totally badass...
psychicshipping chapter 30 . 4/24/2013
INSANITY IN ITS MOST DELICIOUS FORM!
NightHerald chapter 30 . 3/7/2013
HERMIONE! YES!

I knew she was going to win because both Harry and Draco underestimated her terribly and a smart person would use that to their advantage. Also, she probably did a ton of research on war and battle strategy, so it fits her character perfectly.

As to people who say Hermione shouldn't have won because of book smarts... battles are won based on strategy. And Hermione had a very good strategy. It's part of how the Americans beat the British during the revolutionary war even though the British had the best army in the world.
Wyndes chapter 30 . 2/20/2013
I laughed so hard I cried. The song is a wonderful touch!
Enei Emmu chapter 30 . 2/3/2013
"For Cthulhu and glory!" God I love this story! Hey, that rhymed.
petalene chapter 30 . 1/29/2013
That was awesome! Harry had to fight Dragon Army and Hermione won. Seriously, this story is amazing. And I like the science behind it. I've even had to look up a few things I don't remember from school.
Raineh Daze chapter 30 . 1/14/2013
I think I always remember this as the chapter that I least like. Because, at this point (and it's been over a year so I can't remember exact character development), Hermione is such a loathsome character. Smug, dogmatic, too eager to rub things in everyone's faces, and good at everything except a skill with no practical day-to-day value. And then she wins. She's such a self-righteous, morally inflexible pest and it drives me mad.

... Looking back at this, I'm not sure why a fictitious eleven year old irks me so much.
Sardonic Irony chapter 30 . 1/12/2013
I love this chapter - it is as hilarious as it is interesting and dramatic.
BiblioMatsuri chapter 30 . 1/4/2013
And this is why good can be very, very creepy. Good people are nice to their friends, and merciful to their enemies, in the way that slitting someone's throat when their guts are hanging out all over the place is merciful because it's quicker.

Hermione scares me now. I know it was foreshadowed by the lack of Sunshine Regiment POV in training, but still.

"We'll only hurt you if you're bad, and send you to a home that's true..." sounds a lot like the rationale used by colonists in the imperial era, that the "heathens" were better off after they got there. Of course, I'm probably overthinking things, but I can't help but think the word choice was deliberate.
Fullmetal11791 chapter 30 . 1/1/2013
Star Wars AND Warhammer 40k references? Awesome
Susan M. M chapter 30 . 12/20/2012
Harry Potter Miles Vorkosigan.
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 30 . 12/19/2012
This story... I just can't comprehend anymore... The 40k reference almost made me die :D
StrangeoneXD chapter 30 . 12/19/2012
O.o Surprise twist ending
Honoria Granger chapter 30 . 12/15/2012
O gloriosity! Cordwainer Smith, Star Wars, Star Trek, Realm of Chaos and H.P. Lovecraft allusions all in the same chapter! And probably more I don't recognize. I bow to your genius, mighty Less Wrong! (And I do so love the chapter epigraphs. Gom jabbar!)
Rjalker chapter 30 . 12/5/2012
Can I just say? HOORAY! :D

*Clap clap clap clap clap* Ha! I KNEW it! I love this story :)
fractalman chapter 30 . 11/4/2012
Smiley face. of doom. nicely played.
W.Kathy chapter 30 . 10/31/2012
Granger shouldn't have won. Seriously. I don't think being booksmart works in battles. It will help, certainly, but she shouldn't have won. The only reason she won is because Harry and Draco underestimated her, so it's by their flaws she won, not by her strengths. She has no business being so smug about it. And it's disgusting how she's being so good at seemingly everything. Maybe this story should be changed to the Muggleborn-Who-Wins-Everything?
Catherine chapter 30 . 10/15/2012
"Harry had tried to get the name Dragon Army."

This made my week. If it weren't for the equally awesome allusion in chapter 33, this would easily be my favorite part of the entire story.
LunaSakne chapter 30 . 10/12/2012
This is incredibly fun! Particularly liked the Sectumsempra reference and everything Snape in recent chapters: so true. Granger's Sunshine Regiment, of course, kicked ass, surpassed only by the Neville of Chaos. On I go...
Guest chapter 30 . 10/3/2012
I really, really hate your Hermione.
Nothing against your writing or anything but she's such an arrogant little bitch.
Can't she just lose at SOMETHING already?!
(Well, something that isn't flying on brooms.)
KraZiiePyrozHavemoreFun chapter 30 . 10/1/2012
she kicked thier butts! oh that was awesome!
Geo Nova chapter 30 . 9/13/2012
"Hermione had named her army the Sunshine Regiment.

Their insignia was a smiley face."

I love you so much.
shetius chapter 30 . 8/24/2012
Point about 9 Granger's soldiers left is easy. She HAD 23 troops including herself. They attacked as 1012 (Hermione herself didn't want to take any chances). And they decided all to pretend to take hit in attack (like Neville did). However some of troops were hit for real.
Anonymous chapter 30 . 8/15/2012
Good but there's a fairly large flaw. Harry had 20 (counting himself) soldiers and 4 fliers. So he has 24. But Granger sent 9 soldiers and 2 fliers against Harry, and 12 soldiers against Draco. That right there is 23. And at the end she had 9 left! So she has 32 while Harry has 24 (Draco's number were never mentioned). How the hell does something like that happen? Though other than that, it was certainly unique, and it was done quite well. My hat's off to you, but please try to make sure your numbers make sense next time.
voodooqueen126 chapter 30 . 8/2/2012
You know that even guerrila armies like Al-qaeda, the Taliban, assorted Marxists, have a pretty big thing for obeidance. Sure terrorists have a lot of freedom, but they are still obedient first.

btw have you read "On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Dave Grossman
HpFanficFan chapter 30 . 8/2/2012
this is fantastic. I've been listening to the podcast and haven't even caught up yet. Im taking my time enjoying this story.
epicwisdom chapter 30 . 7/18/2012
References to history, science, anime, and now Orson Scott Card? I applaud the breadth of your knowledge. The sheer amount of detail and beautiful characterization in this fiction is just amazing.
Satirica chapter 30 . 7/17/2012
I had a feeling Hermione would win that one. I found Harry's motivational speech quite inspirational, by the way.
Kirinin chapter 30 . 7/10/2012
HOLYMOTHEROFGOD that SONG. Bwah hahahahha!

Ah, Hermione Granger. How I love thee, let me count the ways.

-K
inkbender chapter 30 . 7/2/2012
"The enemy's gate is sideways!"

I burst into genuine laughing-out-loud here. And just the entire concept of children armies duking it out to the (sort of) death reminds me so much of Ender's Game, except much lighter and filled humor. Great moments.
Cassie chapter 30 . 6/18/2012
Only 30 chapters in - amusing read - very amusing at points - but starting to wonder of you should have called it Hermione Granger and the Methods of Rationality. Her character is a bit too perfect and frankly annoying but you seem to be in love with her. She gets everything right the first time, or close to the first time, and completely unbelievable at times. "We can do anything if we study hard enough" - like studying would give Hermione the life skills to be able to lead an army, when she is still seem as annoying in her day to day life in the school. How could she have the skills to lead, plan and guide a successful strategy in a war game scenario when she displays none of those skills at any other time? She hates flying because it takes her away from studying, yet she has great skills in playing a wizard version of paintball? C'mon... Not credible by any stretch. Continuing to read for the amusing nature of Harry - love your sense of humor & his interactions with people - but think I will have to stop reading if this turns into a love story around perfect Hermione.
zealousfreak27 chapter 30 . 6/15/2012
Is that an Ender's Game reference I see?
Sir Cheddar chapter 30 . 6/7/2012
I like the idea of battles and I have enjoyed this series immensely so far. However, the tactics employed by Draco and Harry in this chapter are simply terrible. Why did neither of them think to create a fortified position instead of just marching to meet the enemy on equal terms(you know most effective method for increasing soldier efficiency.) I can understand Draco not thinking of this due to the fact that he was used to using shields as the proper method of defense in battles. But, I cannot believe Harry would not think to dig trenches and put soldiers with good aim up in trees(I assume there are fairly easy charms for digging and climbing.) Then again he was focused too much on how the battle would appear, fully expecting Hermione to attack Draco from the outset, seeing the battle as an easy victory and a chance to influence popular opinion about himself. I suppose that is somewhat understandable. It just seemed like a glaringly obvious tactic to me and I thought it was extremely incongruous with Harry's intellect to totally miss it.
DarthParallax chapter 30 . 5/31/2012
Just for anyone that happens to be reading the comments on Chapter 30, the YouTube version of this Chapter is finally up on SamPotter's channel! :D

I love the whole fic, but as far as which one Chapter translates to a video the best, this one takes it by a mile. I hope that SamPotter does an equally good job on Ch. thirty FOUR...yeah...THAT one. :p
GravekeeperBat chapter 30 . 5/30/2012
Oh man, when I heard they were called the Chaos Legionars, and then saw all the Doom's further down as a song, I honestly thought they had chosen to go with Invader Zim's Doom Song. XD

That said... Am I the only one who think Granger's gone completely off her nut? Honestly, she was a little creepy there at the end. That song just spoke of happy psychotic-ness.
GOD chapter 30 . 5/24/2012
Either I'm insane or there are an obscene number of Ender's Game references happening here.
Zlz chapter 30 . 5/22/2012
Aaaaaiiiiiiii! I loved Neville's bit, but for some reason it was Harry's speech that made me laugh harder than I have since chapter five. This whole story is great on multiple levels.
Corinne chapter 30 . 5/9/2012
I actually really hate hermione. She seems really like a nasty, arrogant person. Usually I really like hermione, but she seems Like a real bitch, and as Harry said, she CAN'T be good at everything. It is really annoying.
Georgie Porgie chapter 30 . 5/8/2012
...but Granger is a muggle-born who have watched those muggle war movies right? In a real battle, bodies are kicked at and shot to make sure they are dead!
Georgie Porgie chapter 30 . 5/8/2012
Hmmmm, I thought that Granger had blood sacrificed the first ten in a gambit to make the enemies forget about the other ten.
ScreenwriterKitteh chapter 30 . 4/21/2012
I'm gonna sing the doom song now!

-Gir
Finariona chapter 30 . 4/20/2012
Epic chapter, I felt right there in the middle of the action. My favorite part was Neville's 15 minutes of fame and his Chaotic Leap.

Now what would have been General Granger's study material for this?
yitiantulong chapter 30 . 4/10/2012
Nerd-tasic! :)

Red Five! (_I_ have wanted to say that all my life!)

Forward Deflectors! (Mr Spock was my first love.)

Can I squeal now?

Eeeeeee!
Mech87 chapter 30 . 3/19/2012
That battle was to put it very simple... Perfect...
Dauger chapter 30 . 3/18/2012
Definitely wasn't expecting the Ender's Game reference... awesomely well done!
Grek chapter 30 . 3/3/2012
Her soliders just pretended to be hit. They weren't actually hit, they were just faking so that they could get back up and attack Chaos/Dragon after those two armies had worn themselves out on eachother.
X chapter 30 . 3/2/2012
How did Hermione win? I thought she split her army, and the halves were beaten by Harry's army and Draco's army. Sorry if I fail at comprehension.
scorpioneldar chapter 30 . 2/29/2012
nice she won because of a mix of being underestimated and a great if simple plan

you see this is why we check our kills after battle shoot the corpse 1 shot fatal wound (or in this case knock out blow) and if you have time disarm the fallen to

simple procedure and her attack fails that said i loved this battle
MetaGamer chapter 30 . 2/27/2012
Granger wins! I knew she had to be up to something but that was perfect!

This has to be my favorite chapter yet! Loved the battle
Hedgehog chapter 30 . 2/8/2012
My, Granger's creepy, isn't she? That was AWESOME! I was waiting for the other shoe to drop (after all, it was clear that Hermione was still out in the open) but I really didn't expect that maneuver.

And Neville, too! Nice chapter, yessss. *huggles*
Channitut chapter 30 . 2/1/2012
I enjoyed this chapter very much. Neville was cute. Hermione was sneaky. Harry pre-war speech was awesome and funny.
Guest chapter 30 . 1/26/2012
Dragon Army? That's the name I got in Suikoden 2...

Btw, I'm quite disagree a few chapters back. Does an incantation of a spell would be just one? So wingardium leviosa is the only incantation for levitation, and if there's any other incantation it won't get an exact same result...

Does it? I thought it would be different in any other countries and languages. Then again, there could be a different incantation that create a similiar, but not exactly same result...

Well, that's your story
chaoz chapter 30 . 1/10/2012
I'll probably out myself as shallow now, but for a story labeled humor, it's been a way too long time since something funny happened or was indicated. I stopped reading this chapter about half way and probably won't restart again, too much Slytherin gives me depressing thoughts and takes my will to live.

I have the utmost respect for your story and your skills in writing while teaching and fascinating your readers with stuff they never thought would be interesting.

best wishes for your quest ;) chaoz
Dan chapter 30 . 12/30/2011
This is really funny

..."And what's the moral of today's battle?" said General Granger.

"We can do anything if we study hard enough!"

And the survivors of the Sunshine Regiment marched off toward the victory field, singing their marching song as they went:

Don't be frightened, don't be sad,

We'll only hurt you if you're bad,

And send you to a home that's true,

With new friends to watch over you,

Be sure to tell them you were sent

By Granger's Sunshine Regiment!
Immortalli chapter 30 . 11/29/2011
I wasn't going to review until I got to the last chapter, but the sheer overwhelming amount of Ender's Game references in this chapter made me stop.

You know, I don't expect those references outside the fandom.

Which makes you /even more awesome/ than you were before. Good job, and congratulations.
Mielipuolukka chapter 30 . 10/19/2011
Hello. I'm at chapter 30/77 now and I've loved everything so far. But the "Dragon Army" made me stop and write a review. For what it's worth, Ender's Game was always my favourite book, and your reference is greatly appreciated.

This fanfiction is, simply put, the best I've read, ever. It's exceptional and creative in so many ways that I am, in fact, often reduced to fits of giggles due to pure surprise. You, sir/madam, are a Feynman of fanfiction.
AR chapter 30 . 9/21/2011
The Robber Cave Experiment! Classic. I hope you have read Lord of Flies by Roy.

Pretty sure you have considering your knowledge of psychology and literature but be sure to do so if you haven't.

I will say that it was expected..NO one is that nice. Hermione deserved this moment...and she earned it.

Great writing.

Btw..you had me in fits over the sunshine regiment and the smiley face. Hahahahaha
youxcantxstop chapter 30 . 9/12/2011
I giggled madly at this entire chapter, it made me think of the harry potter version of LARPing

Ah the sunshine regiment, nice-ness indeed
Megan McAlistair chapter 30 . 9/2/2011
"if a man tries to bother you, you can think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe."

enlighten a non-native speaker, where is that from?

and does it have anything to d with laminated mouse-brains?

"This is what's left after we've passed."

a nice thing to say when you want to intimidate an enemy

if one of your soldiers says it it sounds like he's clever enough to make it up on the spot and clever enemies are deadly enemies

"the 501st Provisional Battalion"

such a geek, does he have a uniform?

"Harry's Minions o' Doom"

he did want minions...

"the simple and dignified appellation of the Chaos Legion."

simple and dignified... aha

ironically "This is what's left after we've passed." fits here, too

(chaotic evil, neutral or good?)

"It was universally agreed that this wasn't a good sign."

how many weeks has it been?

great waves indeed

"Sunshine Regiment"

'You know... our leader is nice. Since you probably won't ever see it again, she put it on all our jackets so you will never forget it.'

"and this had been quite sufficient."

oh we humans... stupid and cruel

"and the two groups needing to work together to solve a failure of the park's water system. A common task, a common enemy."

Perry Rhodan anyone?

or to make it more real... Genghis Khan? (I was tempted to write Dschinghis Khan, but you'd just think I mean the band, probably)

"General Potter walked (not marched)"

marching is for bands

"who'd waited his entire life to say it."

I love in-jokes

"He would frame it as a heroic rescue"

at the dawn of the seventh day...

"But General Granger was the unpredictable one"

as that Sparrow-pirate-guy said: "Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."

"It was probably taking pictures."

this is so hilarious

"And history, my troops, is written by the victors"

because only the victors survive to evolve into people who are capable of writing a program that sees the humour in snapping pictures of people redressing and is capable of remaining unseen in its container and also send it back in time to do that

"knowing only that there was no way to get our names and memories back except victory."

reminds me of Geneforge... and quite a lot of other computer games

"We fight to amuse eldritch monstrosities from beyond Space and Time."

my instincts told me 'eldritch abominations, not monstrosities', because I'm a troper, in fact I found my way here through tvtropes

"She's being fair."

that and she probably gave private lessons to all her soldiers, because she is nice

"It's a feint."

two minds, two thoughts, a billion possibilities

"as from his lips poured a fearful song of doom."

in the fantastic novel this belongs in the song probably wouldn't just contain the word "doom"

it's hilarious and cool at the same time

"Draco must have gotten her"

let me guess, she's not fighting either

maybe her plan is to make them think they defeated her when really she is still stading and when the Dragons and the Chaos have wiped each other out she will emerge to slay the victor

clever girl

"though she hadn't been among the attackers"

I knew it (that first assumption, not the theory)

"power to forward deflectors."

switch all power to front (beat) deflector screens

"Ia! Shub-Niggurath"

it's Iä, not Ia... do you have umlauts on your keyboard?

"and snapped his fingers"

that's the most important part

"because then Harry would figure out how to game the rules"

loophole abuse, like renaming yourself George Fred or founding the Harry Potter school of awesomeness

"Don't be frightened, don't be sad,

We'll only hurt you if you're bad..."

it has a very horrifying quality to it, like singing Santa Clause is coming to town in a dragged out and creepy voice

"It was a very easy battle, right? They dropped like flies?"

the same tactic that Neville used, she is so clever

and I was sort of right

"We can do anything if we study hard enough!"

she defeated her enemies AND managed to get(get, not shoehorn) a good aesop into it... she's brilliant
ironhair chapter 30 . 8/28/2011
snapping fingers and sunshine regiment ! ha.

harry's quite stupid considering all the books he's read while draco was fast to realise what's going on.. Oh well, it went well with the story flow.

well not that smart !
Fenrir666 chapter 30 . 8/25/2011
Love the rhyme. Also, MAIM! KILL! BURN!
RndmprsnlilY chapter 30 . 8/15/2011
100 points to whichever House you want for the Enders's Game reference P
Isa Knightwalker chapter 30 . 7/17/2011
Awesome chapter. "If we lose, the whole universe just blinks out like a light bulb. And now I realize that most of you don't know what a light bulb is." - lol Harry's entire speech was pretty hilarious.

One of my favorite chapters so far!
CanTigerucks chapter 30 . 7/5/2011
To be prfectly honest.

I think this chapter was just... Plain bad.

For me.

I bought Harry was smarter now?

I knew Granger was going to win anyways, it's always Hermione who wins. She's like, your favourite character for some reason and even Harry or Draco clearly should have won because the way they acted now was not as smart as they always seem to be.

I thougt you would surprise me, like you always do on almost every chapter, I was mistaken.

All In all, this chapter was just completely disappointing to me.

For some people, thy would think the ending of this chapter was funny but for me I don't think Draco and Harry acted at the best of their abilities.

I love this story still.

I was going to review at the very last chapter, but I just couldn't resist reviewing this chapter.
Guest chapter 30 . 6/13/2011
Hermione doesnt sound all sunshiny and shes not all that bookish
Itachi's apprentice chapter 30 . 6/1/2011
Great work. This chapter has me LMAO! Honestly I have tears in my eyes.
TheBoy chapter 30 . 5/30/2011
At about chapter 5 I believe, I left a review (as per your request) that detailed the pluses and minuses of your work (up to that point). I just want to follow-up now: ...Thanks!

I've enjoyed it a lot thus far. I've come to realize that 1) It's NOT a Gary Stu (well...maybe a little, but as I mentioned before, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing anyway), 2) Harry ISN'T a sociopath (well again, maybe a little...and again, you've done it justice), and 3) the emotional maturity of Harry Potter is warranted.

I still don't think its at the right level for even a genius and/or an emotional genius (if such a thing exists) of someone his age, but you reined it in a bit, and after the fifth chapter it became apparent to me that you needed him at that level for your plot and/or your point, which, let's face it, are the driving forces of your narrative.

Anyway, I'm happy. Thanks again!
gatogirl1 chapter 30 . 5/8/2011
If I was Dean Thomas, that would've been the crowning moment of my life too. _ I was reading along about the air units and I totally did Comed-spit-take, minus the soda. _ Just totally cracked up. _
reader chapter 30 . 4/27/2011
Hi,

Why is it that even your smart characters say "there's" with a plural instead of "there're"?
Iron Monkey Fist chapter 30 . 4/15/2011
I was thoroughly enjoying this story until a few chapters ago as Hermoine proved to be such a Mary Sue her whole character was obnoxious. This chapter in fact completely ruined her character as well as ruined the whole game.
MythsterBlack chapter 30 . 4/10/2011
A very unusual story plot. Humorous in many places. Highly technical. But honestly, I'm lost on exactly what Harry is up to. Oh, I know he strives to be a God. I guess what I am wondering is will he achieve Godhood at some point? If so, will he kill Hermione? Or, Marry her? *Grins* And Draco, Will Draco follow through and try to kill his BFF, or will he and Harry have children together as first headlined my Luna?

It a very strange story although, very, very well written. You have to be some kind of weird, Alien Scientist?

mib
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 30 . 4/9/2011
Granger used inner-most beliefs of her enemies against them and pushed them toward a common ruin.

Good to see you are a fan of Chaos Undivided!

Blood for the blood God! Skulls for skull-throne! Souls for the soul eater! Death for the death-lord!
anaraz chapter 30 . 4/7/2011
great chapter!

Love General Granger.
Robinswinkle chapter 30 . 3/31/2011
I would just like to let you know that the "war" you have set up inspired me to start one of my own. The first battle comes up soon, and it was all thanks to this chapter. We will be using nerf guns, playgrounds, and our brains.

Thank you.
ammonalkaios chapter 30 . 3/27/2011
"Blood for the blood god!" screamed Neville. "Skulls for the skull throne! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The enemy's gate is sideways!"

Rofl where do you get this stuff, pure genius.
No need for names chapter 30 . 3/3/2011
I tried, I really did, but I have to say that your story just lacks... everything that makes a story readable. I read up until this chapter when I finally decided that enough was enough. There is no consistency with the characters, at all. It's not about them being too complex, rather it really shows you do not know what they should actually be doing/feeling next. I am the kind of person that will keep with a story simply because I need to know how it will finish, but with yours I can honestly say I don't care how it finishes. It is not funny enough to get me to care, and the drama is badly fabricated and forced. I am sure a lot of people enjoyed it, but if you ever desire to become a serious writer... you will have to address this issue.
CraicRocker chapter 30 . 2/26/2011
I love this. I mean, really love this. I haven't felt so compelled to keep turning pages since I discovered the Vorkosigan saga. So I'd just like to thank you for putting it out there, free of charge, for all of us.

Also, looking up (awhile ago) from chapter 16 and realising I still had 54 chapters to look forward to? High on a personal list of Best Moments in Reading.
ARMH chapter 30 . 2/23/2011
Even though Hermione one, I think the Chaos Legion performed best. I mean, it wasnt skill that had Hermione win, just a trick.
Alice Rose Winter chapter 30 . 2/20/2011
I KNEW IT! I FREAKING KNEW THAT THEY WERE STILL AWAKE!

I LOVE NEVILLE!

Jeez this story is giving me a sugar high
HarryPotterFan chapter 30 . 2/10/2011
Dragon Army. Very nice. Of course a Sci-Fi-loving kid would love that name. The chaos seems like a Dragon Army thing, although way more extreme; Malfoy's army is more like Salamander, with all the order, which would have been a good idea with more training and experienced and smart soldiers, like Bonzo's army actually got. I'm still glad Sunshine won. Very good descriptions, nicely planned battle. "Remember, the enemy's gate is sideways"? That was just a little weird. Was the Eagles' and Rattlers' story real? I think the results are pretty true. And you hit the nail quite nicely with how Harry thought Neville felt. Some people feel like that; it's hard to tell who they are if they don't act like Neville, but at some point I think everyone wants to...
w chapter 30 . 2/8/2011
Nice things:

Who were the three sick Gryffindors? Is this another hint or just some allusion to the original books I can no longer recall :(

"Red Five standing by," said Dean Thomas, who'd waited his entire life to say it.

Draco had decided to wait on demanding salutes until after they won their first battle, when Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs would be more willing to salute a Malfoy - so realistic.

It was things like this which reassured Draco that Professor Quirrell had a great deal more sympathy for the good guys than Professor Quirrell was letting on. - one can't help but wonder how Q interacts with Draco when they talk.

Nice to see Goyle beeing competent.

Neville's battle cry.

There was no formal victory condition, Professor Quirrell had explained, because then Harry would figure out how to game the rules.

And General Granger said, "I can do anything if I study hard enough."

Sunshine song.
Avi chapter 30 . 2/3/2011
I like the unexpected not to Ender's Game.
Markus Ramikin chapter 30 . 1/31/2011

... is the best single line on , I'm fairly sure.
Harunomiya chapter 30 . 1/29/2011
Bloody awesome!
kpm chapter 30 . 1/20/2011
AWESOME! Thank you very much!
aoeroihbfinhaefpguaeopritqt chapter 30 . 1/15/2011
this story was really good- until now

ew. This chapter totally ruined all my respect with the wtf moment Hermione winning?

She will NEVER be that power-hungry and backstabbing her best friend, in this story she seems to lose all her humanitry (as in canon) and now it's pissing me off. come on, and Hermione seems too perfect and overconfident that sometimes just gets on my nerves- it takes away from the story.

as well, everything after chap say 16, have just gone bazaar and wayyy too OOC- even for your Harry. I mean they're only first years, and going on adventures EVERYDAY?

I really hope the rest of this story will tone down a bit and with more logic put on the PLOT as to Harry's scientific knowledge. I'll give it one more try and pray i didn't waste the last day (and night) for nothing
Keiren-Kun89 chapter 30 . 1/14/2011
Sorry, don't see it happening.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 30 . 1/13/2011
Quirrell was worried about Harry gaming the exit criteria if he made it explicit. Apparently he should have been equally worried about Hermione gaming the hit criteria, because she wouldn't have won if they'd been playing paintball, or a magical equivalent where it was obvious to the opposition that someone had truly been hit and was out versus faking it.
The Blasphemous Contessa chapter 30 . 1/12/2011
So many references I don't even know where to start
Tangshou chapter 30 . 1/4/2011
Classic. 'nuff said.
GuesssWho chapter 30 . 12/8/2010
Warhammer AND Lovecraft, brilliant!
A Common Hero chapter 30 . 11/16/2010
Hermione's stratagem in this battle was a little predictable. However, I like ow that shows Harry and Draco's fatal flaw (in so far as this battle was concerned).

On a side note, I couldn't help shoehorning the Sunshine chant into the tune of "One two, Freddy's coming for you..." I don't know if that was on purpose, but with all the other references in this battle...

Regardless, it was quite creepy.
ClarkesLaw chapter 30 . 11/15/2010
You are now aware that Neville is Kharn the Betrayer.

Awesome.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 30 . 11/3/2010
Awesome! Love the names and the tactics!
takenbydarkness chapter 30 . 11/3/2010
I know I'm just halfway through the story (loving it all the way), but I just had to ask this thing about artial transfiguration.

Wouldn't a logical mind try to just break the eraser in two, and then transfigure half of it?

As a second step, you could glue the parts together, and next you'll be doing partials without having to be bothered by atoms and molecules...

This. even a non-scientist wannabe could be tought.
Indigo Ziona chapter 30 . 10/28/2010
I love Hermione sometimes. So, so much.

'Harry had said quite a lot of things to Neville in private, starting with "You know, Neville, if you want to become as awesome as the imaginary Neville who lives in your head but isn't allowed to do anything because you're scared, then you really should sign up for Professor Quirrell's armies."'

Only please can he not be a boring slimmed-down intense!Neville? :)

'The tune was what a Muggle would have identified as John Williams's Imperial March, also known as "Darth Vader's Theme"; and the words Harry had added were easy to remember.'

WIN

"Ventriliquo," whispered Neville, pointing the wand to one side of Justin and the other boy, and then yelled, "For Cthulhu and glory!"

I just geeked out :)

I love Goyle, incidentally, it's nice to make them a bit more interesting than boring thugs :)
Nerdfish chapter 30 . 10/13/2010

Chaos legion, Huh.

I almost choked on my drink.
Kutta chapter 30 . 10/10/2010
Excellent chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 30 . 10/8/2010
Excellent chapter.
Work Designer chapter 30 . 9/25/2010
"Something strange was stirring inside Neville, as he marched through the forest alongside his comrades, upon their uniforms an insignia of fingers poised to snap.

He was allowed to walk if he wanted to, but he just felt like marching."

I was like Neville once, wanting to join a cause, any cause. A hero in my head and afraid of the very real world. I'm still extricating myself from that one.

The number of teenagers of raw intelligence that this fic will save will make it totally worth your time. TOTALLY!

PLEASE DON'T STOP UNTIL A LOGICAL END.
Rebel Goddess chapter 30 . 9/22/2010
Laughed my head off at Harry's ex tempore speech. The ice cream line was superb. Neville having an awesome Neville in his head was fantastic, and probably true. I loved the fight scene and the various battle cries. Harry really has read a fair bit to know al those.

Must admit, I'm not totally convinced by Hermione winning the battle. Excellent chapter anyway.
AlpineBob chapter 30 . 9/12/2010
This is my third or fourth time reading through so far - because it is just that good! But as I begin #30, Working in Groups, Pt 1 it occurs to me...

It has taken me this long to wonder why ONLY the first years are having army battles. Presumably all the students could use the practical experience, particularly older students who might be considered a bit behind their desired expertise, given the horrible Dark Arts experience they've had in past years.

Sure Harry is in First year, so that is where our focus is, but in his speeches Quirrel has made a big deal about being the best DA professor for ALL Hogwarts students.

Also, after the third paragraph here, which starts "All the students who" comes the 4th paragraph, which starts "The students" and initially SOUNDS like it refers to the previous paragraphs "All", but from context appears to refer to just the students in the army.

Finally, it would have been amusing if each army chose their own uniforms, but I admit the camo makes more sense.
Speechwriter chapter 30 . 9/9/2010
I adore all the references. Ender's Game, Lord of the Rings, Death Note, Star Wars - it's just so fantastic recognizing them, hehe. Your story deserves a category all its own. I'm in awe of your creative talents. Every time Harry goes on a rant explaining some psychological study, I admire your knowledge XD

I'm so glad you recreated Harry Potter into someone genuinely sympathetic. Oh, and let me just say that the jibe you made at the original Harry Potter character (something about "self-piteous" heroes that Harry never liked in his SF novels) had me in stitches.

Also, I enjoyed singing along to your typed-out Imperial March.

And the fact that "Less Wrong" is synonymous/homonymous/whatever with "Writer"? Golly, I would just like to meet you in real life and give you mass amounts of chocolate.

I would purchase this if it were published. I read a published parody of Harry Potter called Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody - I wonder if there's a way to publish yours using similar methods?

Anyway, I'm off to read some more. Man, I'm feeling the deepest regret for not having uncovered this story before now.

Thanks for the chaos, absurdity, and genuine feeling this story has brought into my life.

sw
twistyguru chapter 30 . 9/7/2010
This chapter was disgusting.

Granger, winning?

The Harridan of Hogwarts?

I'm now going to vomit.
Nightcrawlerfw chapter 30 . 9/2/2010
hahahahahahahahaha. That was so funny! You've read my favorite book, Ender's Game. The Enemy's Gate is Down. I suspected it earlier, but didn't mention it. Well done! I knew i liked this story for a reason ;). Now I really should get to bed. My dad wanted me in bed an hour ago, but you can't leave in the middle of a battle, it's just not done! Hurrah for sunshine army, although I really like Ender's way of attacking the home world/home base and not caring what anyone else thought, like Harry. Good Night. can't wait to read more.

Nightcrawlerfw
Morbious20 chapter 30 . 8/12/2010
Awesome chapter
Stine chapter 30 . 8/5/2010
Brilliant, bloody brilliant :D
CeilingFan chapter 30 . 8/4/2010
Aw, I kind of want to hug all these little demon toddlers.
James Birdsong chapter 30 . 7/28/2010
*laughs* Amazing
ejhawman chapter 30 . 7/27/2010
A late review...

Start of the new sport at Hogwarts, one everyone can play.

Harry draws from tabletop games he knows. Does Dean know them as well? You have him knowing the Star Wars lines. He may be as big a geek as Harry. But Harry wouldn't associate with him if he didn't have similar ambitions and scientific bent.

Hermione is still a young girl, committed to promoting cooperation and good feelings. Naturally she names hers the Sunshine Army. Go Sunshine!

By rights, the analysis of how everyone THINKS the battle between Harry and Draco will go should be correct: order will triumph over chaos. They know their history, Romans (Republicans, at least) vs. Barbarians. Draco should win, Harry should lose, and they both know it. Harry should be happy to get his army blooded, experienced, so that they don't freeze up or hesitate. He can work his way toward more discipline later. Draco will have more resistance to becoming more flexible.

But Hermione trumps them both! She realizes the armies are just big enough to allow some rank structure. While Harry and Draco go with very simple leader-and follower structures, Hermione creates more specialized functions and ranks. She also runs things more democratically: victory goes to the army with the most applied brainpower, and even if Harry is worth three people in term of intelligence, Hermione uses six.

Neville discovers feigning death is allowed. But Hermione's forces have discovered this before the fight, and work it into their plan.

Harry's speech shows he knows his chances are slim. And is properly chaotic.

Harry actually comes close to winning. His actual effectiveness will have to be gauged over the season...

But now Hermione has shown them important facts. Things are going to get confusing...
Imuka chapter 30 . 7/25/2010
I love the Ender's Game references. We need more of those in the world. Can we have a Peter appearance? (squirrels optional, but maybe he could do that with Quirrell.)
Phoenix Flight chapter 30 . 7/24/2010
Of course, when Prof. Quirrel deliberately reminded both boys that Hermione has all the killing instinct of a bowl of grapes, he conveniently forgot to mention Hermione's insatiable need to win competitions, which Harry at least should have remembered.
Entropic Specter chapter 30 . 7/22/2010
Jeez, now look what you've done. You've made me make up a simple tune to sing the Sunshine Regiment's marching song to, and I'm horrible at making music! Oh well, have it anyway:

?z7e7dlh26vajlhv
Andrea Dworkinstein chapter 30 . 7/19/2010
Now this was just excellent writing. Reading Rowlings Harry Potter I came away with the distinct impression that all the Death Eaters could have been killed or captured with one Glock 9 mm and a can of bear spray. This battle scene was worthy of a Dorsai novel.
irezel chapter 30 . 7/18/2010
OH that is HILARIOUS. :D
jdboss1 chapter 30 . 7/18/2010
just quoting another reviewer has rightfully stand behind his review

unless this is a secret clever plan on getting everybody to review twice not just the once than i am fully in favour of it

you deserve 1 million and million of reviews it should be compulsory reading in school passed laws making it that everybody needs to read it that's a brilliant story is

Personally I'd vote for the 'single chapter with both parts' option because I find the two parts are both about the same event, the same plot-line.

Also, I like the consistency with chapter sizes.

When I saw you'd undated with two new chapters I was over the moon, and when I finished the second chapter I was heart broken by its shortness.
Miranda Tam chapter 30 . 7/14/2010

...

THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!

All of it. Not just this chapter. But especially this chapter.

This chapter has won the game.
KuMardagg chapter 30 . 7/13/2010
Yikes, those are their battle cries? The battle cries of Khornites and Elder God cultists? That alone would make me leave the fight, were I on the opposing team.
aaronmicalowe chapter 30 . 7/13/2010
to Less

i think breaking up the chapters is a bad idea, for 1) it enables more posts which means people can more easily abuse the system, and 2) if the 2nd post is just the aftermath then i personally prefer it all together - but that's just me.

to balatros

all Hermi did was ask someone else for a strategy since she didn't know what to do herself. hardly what i'd call being perfect. more like being opportunist to me. is it more because boys don't like being beaten by girls?

to jehayes and all those pointing out contradictions

er, why the assumptions that TMOR follows the same rules as the harry potter series? does LW declare that this is so?

to lucy and anon

what's the DLP thing?

to yawny

i always image people who shout (with caps) as being one straw away from a full mental collapse. for your own health i suggest taking a break from computers

to hello just dropping my 2 cent

didn't read it all but got the impression you're being a little negative (see i can do sarcasm too :o)

please refer to 2nd sentence for yawny. PS if writing all that only cost 2 cents then i'll employ you :o)

to witowsmp

why you think ron is being made a strategic genius? i would re-read the chapter but too lazy. just curious i may have missed something.

to coriandergirl

i still think quirrel is evil through and through ;p
Balatros chapter 30 . 7/13/2010
I am not going to lie, I was a little disappointing with this chapter. I think you are Really overpowering Hermione in this story, I could give multiple examples but I have the feeling that you choose what you do very carefully.

I just felt like registering my..unease with how perfect you are making Hermione.

Auf Wiedersehen und guten Tag.
Mother of Tears chapter 30 . 7/13/2010
Oh, I LOVE IT! Sunshine wins! Glad to see Granger beat those puffed up ego boys. At least for this round anyway. Can't wait to read on!
SMTRodent chapter 30 . 7/12/2010
Superb. I had concerned queries from my housemates about the cackling noises I was making. I'd love to offer something constructive but honestly, Chapter 30 was a total romp and I enjoyed it too much to want to go back through it and see what bits could be better. It flows well enough that nothing through me out of it at any point.
Animekitty47 chapter 30 . 7/12/2010
That Robber's Cave experiment sounds fascinating! You don't even have to try to work this stuff in, huh? lol Quirrelmort backing good. XP

The Chaos Legion sounds awesome. And Harry's speech was hilarious. Too bad the wizardborn missed at least half of what he was saying.

"You know, Neville, if you want to become as awesome as the imaginary Neville who lives in your head but isn't allowed to do anything because you're scared, then you really should sign up for Professor Quirrell's armies." This sounded like the start of a speech every shy kid wants to hear. XD Go Neville! XD
Paganimagus chapter 30 . 7/12/2010
hysterically enjoyable. The doom song, the battery shield-drainer and then the surprise (and creepy!) ending.

Granger was brilliant! :D

I loved Chaos Neville too!
Lucy chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
"We just woke up in these uniforms in this mysterious forest, knowing only that there was no way to get our names and memories back except victory."

If this was inspired by some scifi book, I'd like to know which it was! Sounds fascinating.
Shining Ducky chapter 30 . 7/11/2010

I lol'd.

Also, Harry getting beaten by the power of friendship (kinda). Lol.

Hermione's power is heart.
Karg42 chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
I'mg going to guess Dragon Army is an Orson Scott Card reference, Chaos is a Warhammer 40K reference, and the 501st is a Starwars reference (I'm less sure about that last one). Yay Sci-Fi!

As for breaking up chapters; it really disrupts the flow of the chapter. If that's what you're going for then that's fine, so long as it's made clear that there have been multiple updates with something like youre Pt 1 and Pt 2 title.
KatheeHDS chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Hahaha It was really well developed!

It was obvious that hermione would win, I mean, nobody expected her to, that's like those plants that, when touched, retreat and fake their death...

She hid in her mask of "sunshine" and "niceness", made it look like she'd been defeated and then she counterattacked really good!

I like this fanfic, at least, till now!
deloriantimewizard chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
well, i saw it coming, but really, it was quite well done. congratulations on an awesome chapter. sunshine regiment, hahahaha, FTW
thewanderingmonster chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Can't... breathe... laughing... too... hard... :D
lipasnape chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Clever. Hermione not deadly? Harry not organized? Draco doesn't have a clue.

Good show. Jolly good.
Loonynamelass chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
"It was watching us when we changed into our uniforms. It was probably taking pictures."

Harry's entire speech is hilarious.

AH! I LOVE GENERAL GRANGER! :D
Jalen Strix chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Incredibly entertaining - love the Ender's Game and Star Wars references in particular. Your writing is so fabulous!
emanon chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Pure win!
yamiishot chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
...This was amazing. I can't wait for more of these battles!
Scott chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
You know, rather than keep his father's rock on his finger, I think Harry would benefit greater by transfiguring some sort of shield/invisibility cloak/area attack spell/portkey/magic regenerator that would automatically deploy if Harry ever collapsed from magic exhaustion again. Or, is it possible to transfigure a transfigured object? Harry could turn his father's rock partially into one of these objects and partially into a source of magic to keep it going and have the best of both worlds.
Greytune chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
"You're not that Slytherin! You don't write creepy poetry!"

LOL, oh Harry. I must say, that was an AWESOME battle. I figured out Hermione's plan when both armies arrived at their spot, and there was no "diversion" as Draco thought. I rather liked her style. Although Harry's was without a doubt the best.

CHAOS REGIMENT WILL TRIUMPH!

"Niceness has triumphed!" cried General Granger.

"Hooray!" shouted the Sunshine Soldiers.

"And what's the moral of today's battle?" said General Granger.

"We can do anything if we study hard enough!"

Hahaha. Hermione fought a whole battle to get to say that.
threecankeepasecret chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Those segments were really good. Update soon! I want to see Harry's next step.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
You had me laughing my ass off during the whole chapter. Marvellous.

Also it did so far confirm the vecctor of my suspicions towards hermione, lets see the next one now ;)
Chelonie chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
LOVED all the muggle references, from Harry wanting Dragon Army, to Dean Thomas knowing what 'Red Five standing by' meant, and especially the battlecries used during Neville's CMOA. It was great.

"Except for three Gryffindors in their fourth year, who were currently sick and confined to healer's beds by Madam Pomfrey. Aside from that, everyone was there."

My first thought was that Snape had done something to the bullies, but they were a group of four fifth years, not three fourth years. Fred, George, and Lee? Are they fourth year? Working on their Puking Pustilles maybe?
Gogolu chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Wow.
celopmuh chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Please don't explode my browser window by long lines.
Andrew McDowell chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
Thanks for these stories, which I've been following with interest. I like the common enemy effect. I see in . a study that built trust by alternating sessions against a common enemy with sessions of information exchange. I note also that if the common enemy is non-human (e.g. science as a game against nature) then you can be as unscrupulous as you like, as long as your method produces data, and not wishful thinking.

Very interested to see how Harry's investigations of magic proceed please keep writing.
Violet Shadows chapter 30 . 7/11/2010
The sunshine regiment had the best marching song of all of them.
LockandLoad chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...*****KKKKKK !

Dude(may I, please, call you Dude ?), You Just Break T3h 4W3Som3 !

Ender's Game in combo with CHAOS MARINES ? And with a taste of "Murder, Arson and Jaywalking" theme(Dragon, Chaos and Sunshine) and a dash of X-Wings ?

For Chaos, Harry.

Scratch that... HARRY ! FOR CHAOS ! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD !

:D

Dang... Voldermort better come with a Whole Lot better plans against this bunch... ;
badkidoh chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Yet another really great chapter! I'm looking forward to your next update.
tw2000 chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Awwwwee..

I reviewed because you were adorable in this chapter.

Yay!

STUDY-POWERRR!
WaxWings chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
That was fun. I saw the subtle hints of Ender's Game at the begining, then the references bcame much more explicit. It was also interesting to see the references to Warhammer 40K.

Given Harry's rules of engagement, I almost expected to see Leeroy Jenkins on his army.
Nongarak chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Oh my fucking god I laughed harder at this chapter than I have all week at anything. You rock. I can't wait to read the next chapter. Which is now.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
I'm afraid to read the reviews because I know some reviewers will have turned this into a "Omg Hermione is a MARY SUE why does she WIN SO MUCH" deal which always seem to happen when any female characters demonstrate awesomeness, but surprisingly rarely when male characters do (otherwise Harry would've been lambasted as a Mary Sue by everyone a million times over). Perhaps I'm being unfair, but I'm going to err on the side of "the collective psychology of fandom is a scary place" :) But, to you, dear author: I really appreciate what you did here. You HAVE made Hermione very awesome, but it would've felt like a cop out if you'd made Harry the freakishly intelligent one (Hermione's canon role) and not given her any other non-canon skills to compensate. Same with Draco- you've made him a much more plausible "nemesis" than if you'd kept him the whining, cowardly child of canon. When the protagonist is improved, then *everyone else* has to improved for the story to have any draw, and you've done that.

So. I'm looking forward to Harry, Hermione and Draco becoming the new Golden Trio. I realize this is going to be difficult because of Draco's rampant blood prejudice, but hey, Harry seems to working heavy duty on that, isn't he? Granted, it's a tough case, but I'm going to tentatively hope that it's the direction you're going. And if they get paired off like Hermione and Ron do in canon, I would not complain either... although at the rate this story is advancing, they may never even reach adolescence :P But I rather suspect that your Dramione would be much more interesting than the typical Draco in Leather Pants & Hot Nerdy Hermione pairing. At least they should become friends, because there are some interesting relationship dynamics to be explored there.

Anyway, these chapters had me nearly choking with laughter. I knew Hermione was going to exploit the other characters' misconceptions, but this was a terribly spectacular way to do it. Of course, now that the first battle's over things should get more interesting pronto, since Harry now knows not to underestimate Hermione and Draco may attempt to copy the collaborative structure of her army. I'm rooting for Hermione to win Quirrel's prize, but am happily resigned to Harry winning it since that makes more sense in the arc of this story, which is centered on Harry's development.

Oh, and these lines really struck me: "It was kind of sad, actually. Harry had grown up very, very alone. It wasn't that he went around thinking in words that only geniuses had a right to exist. It just wouldn't occur to him that anyone in Hermione's army besides Hermione could have any good ideas." Especially in combination with the image of Harry pacing around in his huge, empty office... and especially because I too, like Draco, couldn't think why the generals would need such large offices. You've given me food for thought! I'm glad that I'm being exposed to your ideas while I'm still young and impressionable :)
The Overlooked Supporting Cast chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
I've followed this fic for a while now, and through it found Less Wrong and probably the best explanation of Quantum Physics I've ever read on top of enough useful rationality that I actually feel like an improved human being. I don't know why, but I've kept silent and never properly thanked you, until now, when I find myself so thoroughly awed that the words spring from my fingers as effortlessly as breathing.

Why? Because I'm fairly sure you just sneaked in a Gurren Lagann reference, and what's more, made it perfectly reasonable for Hermione to use a mini Giga Drill Breaker in the climax of a plot arc. You magnificent bastard.

Thank you.
Anonymous chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
I was really enjoying this story, I had a lot of fun reading it and it felt like you were having fun writing it. However, the fact is that while you've done an admirable job of not turning "brilliant Harry" into "ludicrously overpowered-crushes the world Harry" you have turned Hermione into a mary-sue. Some people might like that, but it's really ruined the story for me. Hopefully, whatever you write in the future you'll manage to avoid that trap. I'll be looking out for your pen-name.
physics chick chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Reminds me of a combo between Ender's Battle School and Star Wars! Awesome!
BlueMageAscension chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Epic story. This might get lost in the mountains of reviews, but I have to ask one question... Why does Hermione seem to win every public contest with Harry? I find it kind of annoying that he never seems to come out on top, regardless of the situation...
avatarmirai chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
When Chaos and Dragon started wiping out the Sunshine regiment easily, I knew that she had a trick up her sleeve! I love this chapter-less science and more character interactions. You did wonderfully!
Lucy chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Also, that poem is just beautiful. *tears*
Lucy chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Not gonna lie, it makes my little heart happy to see an underestimated nerdy girl take down her foes.

Also, I nearly died of laughter.

I hope Hermione keeps on being awesome. Before this, the only person being Harry-level awesome was Harry and possibly Quirrel, and that was getting boring. This is fun!
Tiky3000 chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Beautiful. I suspected when Grangers soldiers were taken out so soon, but reading them taken the win was just pure poetry.
MisterTabi chapter 30 . 7/10/2010
Oh...dear...god. Oldest trick in the book: Play dead. Classic.