Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Velorien chapter 34 . 1/7
I was hoping for something rational but instead this monstrosity...
sunset oasis chapter 34 . 9/3/2016
The tension built up ... and I laughed out at the without-the-snitch wish.
Blaise Zabini ... you're kind of artful, and ... wild-spirit and cunning. I like it.
Wyboredras chapter 34 . 7/23/2016
are battle scores codes for RGB colours?
n-khotomos chapter 34 . 7/5/2016
Dei ex machina is plural.

My Latin is terrible, and even more so am I unaware of the correct grammar for in-lining a Latin phrase that became a noun shared by multiple modern languages into English, but I do hold the belief that Deus would be more appropriate here.
The Anguished One chapter 34 . 6/14/2016
Only Harry could bring Draco and Hermione together against himself. Still, I am curious what Harry's wish was. Loved Quirrell and Harry's conflicting speeches.
Dudly chapter 34 . 5/30/2016
I get the complaints about the snitch, but all the rationalization is annoying somehow. The snitch makes no real sense - and that's what makes it great, in the chaos it causes. No way of knowing when a match will end. No way of saying how the Seeker's actions of chasing after the Snitch could affect the team's players in their formations - either their own team or the opposite team. It's a force of unknown, of chaos, and in that way, it makes it much more interesting than to simply time matches and plan out accordingly. If a match lasts hours and hours, hundred-fifty points might not make that much of a difference, either. But maybe it would be more logical to reduce the amount of points. But I thought I'd stand firm on my defence of the Snitch. It's illogical, whimsical in a way, a brute force of randomness and unexpected events, and I love it.
Montara chapter 34 . 1/22/2016
I'm so curious about Harry's first wish!

Bet Riddle's speech will make Dumbledore suspicious. At least I hope so.
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 34 . 12/7/2015
More hard questions, with no good answers. The speeches made by Harry and Quirrell both have good points, though Quirrell's has some distinctly disturbing themes. This isn't really a happy chapter, but it's powerful, and I love it.
ShadowLDrago chapter 34 . 10/17/2015
... Well then. This happened.
P. P. P chapter 34 . 9/13/2015
And so the shet is hitting the fan.
Zyxis chapter 34 . 8/14/2015
Whoever you are, I love you. ;w; You turned one of the most hated/disregarded characters in Harry Potter, someone everyone believed was worthless, into one of the most epic and beloved characters in this fanfic, at least in my opinion. For that, sir or madam, you have my respect, and quite a lot of it at that.
Shing yi chapter 34 . 8/14/2015
I love this will u right more story?
I hope u do I love ur story so far every chaper has been good my sister Ching has said to me that this is as good as dumping so it must be good for to read (-)
PA chapter 34 . 5/20/2015
I forsee one winning the house cup and then losing it.
Village-Mystic chapter 34 . 3/23/2015
Complicated. Motivations of the dark lord are also complicated. He wants the right to kill and torture for a "reason," of his own version of the greater good.
LauraDragon chapter 34 . 3/1/2015
onoes.
Riniko22 chapter 34 . 2/20/2015
Will the Raven and the Snake tie? And nothing is stopping Quirrell from hosting a game that does not use the Snitch.
MeiPhantomhive chapter 34 . 9/21/2014
I think my head's gonna explode from all the information... my science teacher's gonna be proud of me, I tell you. So thanks.

And also...
I LOVE THE WAY THINGS TURN OUT IN HPMR! :D
thepkrmgc chapter 34 . 8/2/2014
yay for a snitchless quidditch! I wonder what harry's origional wish was?
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 34 . 5/20/2014
"The Snitch ruins the whole game," said Harry Potter. "Everything the other players do ends up being irrelevant. It would make overwhelmingly more sense to just buy a clock. It's one of those incredibly stupid things you don't notice just because you grew up with it, that people only do because everyone else is doing it -"

Tianhuayoucao chapter 34 . 3/22/2014
I've always thought that canon Voldie wanting to eradicate Muggles was a smart thing from a wizarding survival perspective. It never occurred to me that Voldie may have realized this, and that it would be smart to disguise it under a stupid goal.
Alexja2013 chapter 34 . 1/24/2014
...results were inconclusive. Harry Potter is a beast.
Grizzmon chapter 34 . 1/13/2014
He is right about the seeker thing.
CMVreud chapter 34 . 12/30/2013
Aaaaah.
Dis is a wonderful moment.
And I actually forget it. HARHARHarHarhArharhar
Nameless5387 chapter 34 . 11/22/2013
Wow, this is interesting. What did Harry Potter wish for? And how will Quirrell grant all three wishes? I'm guessing that he will make Slytherin and Ravenclaw tie, or maybe join the houses together for the day of the announcement of the winner of the house cup, and that way Draco and Hermione's wishes would be answered. But seeing as Professor Quirrell had that sort of reaction to Harry's wish, it seems his is probably not for Ravenclaw to win the house cup, meaning it's along an entirely difference line, and it shouldn't interfer with Draco and Hermione's wishes...
Guest chapter 34 . 9/13/2013
And thus I was thinking that Quirrell had been asked for a way for all three of them to win the House Cup - for Ravenclaw, for Slytherin, for the Hogwarts which plays Quidditch without a Snitch.

...and I wonder. Would killing Hermione, for Draco and Daphne of the Greengrass and Malfoy families, therefore accord Ravenclaw and Slytherin enough points concurrently, do enough to unify Hogwarts and yet still tie Ravenclaw and Slytherin in first enough points for the Cup? I believe so.

Also furthermore, the Hogwarts Quidditch Snitch - perhaps even all of them - are involved with the Resurrection Stone. Again.

I think so.

I also think it's brilliant.
Lunacom chapter 34 . 8/16/2013
The wishes sound like class president propositions.
somethingborrowed3 chapter 34 . 8/7/2013
Hahahaha this story is becoming Game of Trones on steroids! I like it. The only problem is; this story seems to be centered on first years only. What happened to the other classes? If I recall, the wish was meant for the top earner of Quirrell points in all seven years?
Anon chapter 34 . 7/4/2013
I love this story so much
Re-Used chapter 34 . 7/1/2013
Chapter 33, the underwater scene... Harry read a lot of Ender's Game?
RussianDestruction chapter 34 . 4/27/2013
YES! Harry's wish was awesome. The Snitch is absolutely ridiculous. What's all this business about granting all 3 wishes using one plot? *reads on!*
Guest chapter 34 . 3/27/2013
OK, I think I figured out how Quirrell will grant all three wishes in chapter 34 using a single plot. The hint is the reaction of the students to Harry's proposal.

Quirrell gets them to change the Quidditch rules to play without the Snitch. A large number of students refuse to accept the new rules and go on playing WITH the Snitch. In the game with the Snitch, Slytherin wins. In the game without the Snitch, Ravenclaw wins. And the total House points are close enough that the Cup depends on the Quidditch points. To prevent a riot, both Houses are awarded the Cup.

I suppose it's possible that they'd just tie, but that's boring.
Enei Emmu chapter 34 . 2/3/2013
This is mind-meltingly twisted in the best way possible.
petalene chapter 34 . 1/30/2013
Wow. Just wow. What a way to turn everything on its head.
BiblioMatsuri chapter 34 . 1/4/2013
So. Many. Speeches.
wlangendorf chapter 34 . 1/3/2013
I loved this chapter. Quirrel's speech, and Harry's response to it, were simply wonderful. I'm eagerly awaiting Quirrel's attempt to fulfill all three wishes with one plot.
StrangeoneXD chapter 34 . 12/19/2012
...huh I really wonder what the wish is now
Geo Nova chapter 34 . 9/13/2012
"My own family is long since dead at the Dark Lord's hand." -because I'm the dark lord and I killed them.
voodooqueen126 chapter 34 . 8/2/2012
Democracies suffer from disunity, and are thus vulnerable to authoritarian regimes. Yet they always end up winning?
Stella Duke chapter 34 . 7/19/2012
dude dude duDE DUDE POST THIS ON MYHOGWARTS IN THE LIBRARY! :D
Satirica chapter 34 . 7/17/2012
By now I'm not surprised that Harry's great speech ended that way- but I agree with him, the Snitch throws off the entire game...
Georgie Porgie chapter 34 . 5/9/2012
Unity is important, but unity that depends on enforcement by a single leader, be it Dumbledore or Voldemort, is weak - the leader falls the country burns. True unity require faith to a common purpose that can not be singled out and killed, as a leader, the /organizer/, could. Leaders are necessary for organizational purposes, but they should be replaceable, as any other parts are.
timunderwood9 chapter 34 . 3/30/2012
""Truthfully, I have no confidence in your ability to learn this day's lesson. Go home, and enjoy your time with your families, or what's left of them, while they still live. My own family is long since dead at the Dark Lord's hand. I shall see you all when classes resume.""

The 'my family is long since dead at the Dark Lord's hand.' is total win given who it comes from- isn't the definition of chutzba killing your parents and then begging mercy from the court because you are an orphan?
Laura M chapter 34 . 1/15/2012
wow this is a major love fest for Orsen Scott Card
has reviewed before chapter 34 . 11/8/2011
The sequence involving Harry, Quirrel, and Lucius and the back and forth is definitely one of my favorite. After rereading it I understand it much better, though I still haven't figured out who Harry's speech benefits. (I'm not sure which way to look at it-do I think about what group Harry is "Ra-ing" for [as in "Ra Facism!"], or what his listeners will learn and how they will be changed if they take his advice? Or how other people's opinion of Harry will change after hearing him speak it? None of those seem like the correct path, or at least I haven't gotten anywhere following them yet. Perhaps tomorrow.)

I also can't figure out why Malfoy and Hermione would both ask for House Cup victories. That seems so mundane for something as awesome as a cunning plot by Quirrel.

My respect for you as a writer has grown as I have reread your story trying to digest all of the details. On a first read through I enjoyed Harry being awesome. On a second read through I've realized how awesome your adult characters and the greater schemes are.I used to be annoyed at how powerful Harry seemed,but it now seems obvious how much he pales in comparison to Quirrel and Snape in terms of maturity, theory of mind, and control. (Dumbledore is still a mystery to me. I don't know where he sits on the scale of plotting/maturity. Well, I know he is plotting, but I don't what evidence is there for it. But he has no plausible deniability.) The gap shows Harry's age in a way his intelligence and other qualities cannot.

I wish you a satisfying day. May your groceries taste scrumptious, your anime be awesome, and may you enjoy flow and peace while you work.

I'm really glad you exist.
Asparagus chapter 34 . 10/16/2011
Okay, you got me. Who the heck is Quirrell?

I haven't given you a compliment in a while, so here's one: You're doing a really, really great job portraying all the characters, and I loved Quirrell's speech. I'm disappointed that Dumbledore cut it off.
Megan McAlistair chapter 34 . 9/3/2011
"What in Merlin's name did he ask for?"

do tell

especially since I don't seem to have anything else to say this chapter

odd
Fenrir666 chapter 34 . 8/25/2011
Best. Speech. Ever.
Spaz86 chapter 34 . 8/13/2011
I loved the Enders game reference! I love Orson Scott card! One of the few high school reading I really enjoyed and then pursued after the class subject changed.
Gabriel chapter 34 . 7/22/2011
Quirrell's speech - da-yum.

DAMN.

Just when I think this fic can't get any more intelligent, it extends its logical outlook to yet another facet of the HP universe.

Well done.
OSC chapter 34 . 7/22/2011
And now, in my utter bias and implanted love: Draco, with his Shadow-like thoughts, is Bean, to Harry's obvious Ender (minus that magnetic vulnerability), and there is more Petra in Granger than I dare hope to wish for.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 34 . 7/17/2011
Great chapter, very interesting!
Mavarax chapter 34 . 7/17/2011
I can believe I didn't see this the first time I read it. Quirrell does nothing as at ne point in the future there ravenclaw will win the cup and at another Slytherin. If they had said that year however...

And Quidditch without the snitch would admittably be epic.
Andromedanaea chapter 34 . 6/10/2011
just thought I'd let you know, this is the point at which I gave up again . . .

You've lost the humor of

'You giving me a TIME MACHINE for my sleep disorder!'

and the the science is not so much in the foreground.

I'm not so interested in reading them play sports. . .
The Karlminion chapter 34 . 3/20/2011
I wasn't expecting any of this. I honestly wasn't. Well played, sir, well played.

-Karl
ARMH chapter 34 . 2/23/2011
Great brick joke with the snitch; i think you really built the suspense up well for seeing what his wish would be. I only wish I could know what he originally wished for.
angeldreamer1119 chapter 34 . 11/29/2010
Hi.

Sorry it took so long to review. Just want to say I've read every chapter of your story and loved it (some bits more than others), and that your page on Bayes' Theorem solved some mental Gordian knots that my medical statistics textbook failed to resolve. More power to you, sir, and I hope you keep writing.

I've also just read "The Simple Truth" and would like to point out that your bucket system gets messed up at the end, because you lost one pebble when Mark runs off the edge of the cliff...
Paganimagus chapter 34 . 11/10/2010
Partly to get the 9000th review (haha!).

On that note- congradulations!

And partly to thank you again for one of the best 'brick joke's of all time. Quidditch without the Snitch.

Brilliant

:D
AspergianStoryteller chapter 34 . 11/3/2010
What Harry and Quirril said both makes sense.
Indigo Ziona chapter 34 . 10/28/2010
'It had never before occurred to Draco that moon-traveling Muggles were a greater threat than the slow decline of wizardry, or that Father had proven himself too weak to stop them.'

It occurs to me that the two World Wars changed the everyday life of Britons probably more than wars had for some time, or that wars have ever since (I was going to say any war before or since but I suspect that's untrue!). There is a cultural obsession with 'the War' (mainly WWII) - politicians can go on about Blitz spirit and so on... although in truth, though the Blitz might have made neighbours help neighbours, it also caused looting and an increase in violent crime... the World Wars are still a living memory for some Britons, and it was a time when our entire nation couldn't help but feel at war - rationing, drafting and mass evacuations were imposed - families were separated, place names - and church bells - were removed, and bombing was so real a threat that every household had a bomb shelter. Not only that, there was the fear that very soon, the Nazis would conquer us and we could no longer enjoy even that precious limited freedom... I listened to Churchill's 'fight them on the beaches' speech, and it's sort of terrifying, this idea that a time could have come where everyone left in the country would have to the streets wielding rakes against our incoming aggressors. I guess it seems like a dramatic and a noble time, which in many ways it was.

Anyhoo, it seems bizarre to me, therefore, that I've not the foggiest idea of what the wizarding world did during the war. I quite like the idea that Grindelwald was somehow allied with the Nazis, heading off the magical world while Hitler took on the Muggle one, although Grindelwald's role is rather unclear. A World War II Hogwarts story could be very interesting indeed. Maybe I should prod J.K. Rowling to write it, if no fanfiction writers have taken it on :)

'But by that point Harry Potter's voice could no longer be heard, because the riot had started.'

Over Quidditch. That's depressingly believable. Once on Good Friday outside a cheap British clothes store called Primark, there was a stampede that led to some people being hospitalised, all because some cheap clothes were even cheaper. This actually made me cry. I think I might have actually said the words "Oh woe".

Quirrell scares me, though. I'm worried by the idea that we need our own dictatorship to fight the bad dictatorship. Yet the Nazis were only a small percentage of the German population, and concentration camps were widely known about (so much so that they're mentioned in a kid's book my friend has, published in 1940). If I remember correctly, Winston Churchill wasn't even properly elected, and was voted out immediately after the war (mainly due to the welfare state, so arguably a good decision, even if he was a good war time prime minister)... I'm reading on now :)
Kutta chapter 34 . 10/11/2010
Great chapter
loserthree chapter 34 . 10/8/2010
Is Quirrell possessed by Voldemort?

Almost assuredly. If not, then why the canon impending-sense-of-doom, why the zombie-time?

Does Voldemort still seek to take over the world?

Probably. Nothing we've been told about him makes him sound like the sort of fellow who would let a little thing like near-death and a decade of whatever-the-gently caress-he's-been-up-to deter him from his goals.

Is Voldemort's possession of Quirrell still a limited, short-term thing?

Probably. He leads people to believe he won't be around at Hogwarts for long. He even has a chance to stay on, if in fact the "Dark Lord's curse" regarding the DotDA position does not apply to him, by granting HPEV's first Christmas Wish, since people will believe anything regarding Harry Potter.

If Voldemort continues to seek world domination, why does he prop up Harry Potter in the speech in Chapter 34?

I propose that Voldemort intends to possess HPEV at the end of the year. In order to do so, he has to build a connection between the two, and that is why he is befriending the boy.

And he is intentionally and manipulatively befriending the boy. We are given hints in HPEV's and Draco's thoughts about their own relationship that show us the tools that Voldemort uses to build trust.

For dramatic reasons, I expect that HPEV will be unable to defeat VOldemort directly, himself, at the climax. I suspect it will require Draco and Hermione working together to defeat the Big Bad while HPEV is fully within his thrall.

Also, we aren't going to meet Luna, Longbottom will get all the credit, and Snape kills Dumbledore.
LunaSlashSea chapter 34 . 10/8/2010
Excellent chapter.
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 34 . 9/7/2010
And the whole ordeal was SO CLOSE to just staying calm, then 'General Chaos' brought out the old Snitch Vs. Clock argument. Brilliant.

(& I forgot to say about the last chapter. I absolutly LOVED Harry's "Why are you all upside-down?" line/segment.)
keichiku chapter 34 . 8/17/2010
Hello, this is from , a small island in the Caribbean, in case you don't know. So, sorry for my grammar. I'm doing my best. I love your fanfic. I was a fan of the Potter books, ant the final volume left me with a deep sense of loss. I'm not very fond of fanfics. I had always felt that to make a fanfic, better make an original work with that inspiration. But this one is the exception. It's smart. It's funny. It's daring and even a little offensive, and that is good. Too many materials over there trying to please the audience instead of making it think.

But a few things annoy me.

First, I don't see many reflects of anybodies opinion reflected in your work except the ones regarding science. So I must assume that you simple disregard it.

Second, like in the tragedy of Kira, you are trying too hard to balance good and evil to get a plausible environment. I think this could lead you to some harsh consequences. Like in the tragedy, when the mighty Kira was defeated by destiny, not by man (meaning, forceful ending).

And third, and this I saw it earlier in this review, I think you are going too slow to the time frame. I know that you don't have many time with Quirrell, so you must exploit him fast. But, do you intend to go over the seven years? It's a daunting task, ask Rowling about it. But, I'd hate to see Harry as always an 11 years old kid. And also, it's implied the destiny of Rita Skeeter (no spoilers here) but, please, be more kind to tertiary characters. They could be useful sometime in the future.

Also, it seems that I'm the only one annoyed with the outcome of the chapter 34. With the work so far, I was really bothered with their lost of perspective and the everybody's happy result. It's Kira's tragedy all over again. If would had been more impressive if it had to be Harry the one to make the last call. More sense of Chaos, or maybe curiosity to see the other two wishes.

...but, I don't expect an answer here. Keep up with the good work. Don't keep us waiting to long for the chapters. Or keep us waiting, but post occasionally for us to know you are there. That there is a real pie behind the glass.
Greytune chapter 34 . 8/14/2010
"Draco blinked, and then he and Granger traded rapid glances - may I? - yes, go ahead - and Draco raised his voice."

Intersting... they communicate with their eyes now? I'm oddly reminded of canon Harry/Hermione interaction. And while I'm aware there is a chance this will end up HHr (either in friendship or romance in later years- both sound pretty awesome to me) I actually don't how much objections to having a Draco/Hermione friendship. If you can find a logical way for a bond to start between them, seeing as their is this little problem with Hermione being a muggleborn.

Of course, them being allies to bring Harry down works just as well. But a friendship (done well) sounds interesting and could happen. Am I reading too much into things with that line? I have a tendency to such things.
James Birdsong chapter 34 . 8/13/2010
*shivers* Excellent. Very fitting somehow
Morbious20 chapter 34 . 8/13/2010
Awesome chapter
Less Wrong chapter 34 . 8/7/2010
Due to the insert of a new Ch. 32, all reviews from before this point are really for 'Coordination Problems, Pt 3'; all reviews after this point are for 'Coordination Problems, Pt 2'.
Shodai24 chapter 34 . 8/7/2010
Okay...it would be prudent to say I am speechless, but that would be lying. This is the STUFF...beats anything I've read about Harry Potter.
Swati S chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
Of all the fanfics that I have ever read, this is absolutely the most brilliant.
dorothy chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
wow. this is certainly one of the most amusing things i've had the pleasure to read recently. please keep up the excellent work!
Vampire-Badger chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
Wow. I stand totally in awe of this.
LockandLoad chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
BWA HA HA HA HA ... Too Much Awesomeness per usual. :D

"Mr. Top Hat & Cloak"; "White Cat"; "Black Cat"... are we going to see "Sailor Hermione" anytime soon ? :D :D

And the only thing missing from Draco's Drill Spell was him screaming "Just Who The Hell do You Think I Am ?" :D

and, yes sir, I do notice any other book concerning magic(and adventure), may it be manga, anime, or others, sadly, tends to be more awesome than Rowlings' Potter-verse'

My first foray to the magic literatures was Greek and Romans Myth, followed by Saint Seiya. When I was still in the Elementary. So, yeah...
Thom Blake chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
Disregard MutantRancor's comment about 'billion'. The 'long scale' has not been officially used in Britain since 1974, and while there are still plenty of people who would claim the 'long scale' is better than the 'short scale', Harry would likely be more familiar with 'billion' meaning 109. And even if it's not likely, it's plausible.

I believe it would make him sound *more* out-of-character if he used 'thousand million'.
anissa7118 chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
Wow. Oh, wow.

If I told you that I'd just had the rationalist skeptic's equivalent of a major religious conversion, would you understand what I meant?

This is one seriously wickedly fantastic story. If the Harry Potter books were actually like this, I'd have read them more than twice. I just finished reading the whole story to date, and I read it like a junkie locked in a pharmacy overnight.

You, sir, are brilliant. I am one of those people who can slightly empathize with your Harry's feeling of isolation. I wasn't THAT far above my classmates, but it was far enough for loneliness. And now I have glimpsed an intellect and a storytelling prowess so far above my own that I'm finally humbled.

I will be reading each new chapter as it comes out - I may not always review, as there's such a thing as too much breathless fangirling - but I will read with delight. Thank you for writing.
Bushido Jack chapter 34 . 8/6/2010
Magnificent. I love how you've managed to recreate most of the basic conditions of the first war with the armies. It's nice to finally understand one of Quirrelmort's overall goals in one of his plots. Can't wait to see what Hermione's reaction is to finding out she's Dumbledore's analog. I'd love to see Harry figure it out first and say something like "Unlike you two, I can learn from my predecessor's mistakes. You'll notice I never even came close to using the killing curse on Harry Potter."

Your story is amazing, your Voldemort the best I've ever seen. Keep the course man and you can't go wrong.
MutantRancor chapter 34 . 8/5/2010
I just wanted to point out that you used the number "billion" in your latest chapter. "Billion" actually means two different things depending on where you are. The British billion is equal to the American *trillion*. Therefore, you need to change the mention of "six billion people" to "six thousand million people."

At least, if you want to be accurate to the Harry Potter series's British source material. If you don't care about that, you might as well just leave it, or maybe put in a footnote.

-MutantRancor
cheekylildevil chapter 34 . 8/5/2010
Again, not as good as you have been. This has gotten very confusing, and whilst I know that is sometimes a good thing, this is completely weird.

Still good though,

Indi
eclipse ze lunachic chapter 34 . 8/5/2010
This has to be one of the most mind-blowing and life-altering pieces of literature that I have had the fortune to find and absorb through osmosis.

This also had to be one of the most awe-inspiring fan-versions of Professor Quirrel that I have read yet. If only he could have been like that in cannon...

You have now motivated me to actually look at math theories as if they can be realistically applied to my life, the universe and everything and anything.

Hopefully there will be more to come.

Long live Chaos and Less Wrong on an extraordinary fan-fiction well done.
Unsigned chapter 34 . 8/5/2010
Ow...

My brain...
Insaniiity chapter 34 . 8/5/2010
It's too late... or too early... to be very coherent right now, but I'm definitely too amused to not leave you a review.

Your writing is excellent, and even your mass of scientific facts is relatively easy to follow (although the fact that I tend to read this story past 12am each night probably makes my task more challenging).

I honestly can't come up with anything clever to say, so let's pretend that I'm actually a lot more witty than this review says I am.

Waiting eagerly for your next update :)

~Insaniiity
CeilingFan chapter 34 . 8/4/2010
Heh. I like how many times different characters have assumed double-to-triple-to-quadruple cons, then dismissed them as paranoia because the idea of a quadruple con would give anyone a headache. And now Zabini was a quintuple agent, at least, to an especially sinister version of Fred and George!

Harry is still lovely, even when contemplating creepy things.
gennastar chapter 34 . 8/4/2010
Two things confused me:

1. Snape. Why come to HP testing him on bullying when he already was inclined to dislike him despite whatever answers HP gave to Snape's riddles?

2. Draco. What would Draco gain from listening to or believing in any of HP's theories when ultimately HP will still make himself master and have power over Malfoy?
Dr Gero chapter 34 . 8/4/2010
Very good story. Although sometimes I felt the scientific bits were a little too heady and somewhat forced, I think you've really hit your stride and found a balance.

Looking forward to more.
Adeptis chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
Good chapter.
BaitedBreath chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
"If anyone thinks this was a bad idea, now would be a good time to speak up."

Hell No !

I am continually amazed. Where do you get the time? I dread the day your Muggle-world appointments and commitments bring an untimely end to Less Wrong Potter...

If you're trolling for philosophical themes for future chapters, I think perhaps the tragedy of the commons might fit. Deeper peeks into Bayesian take on the world would be appreciated too.

A loyal reader...
irezel chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
hahhaha, harry is such a little terror...but what's going on with Zambini? CRAAAAAZY! can't wait for more!
Loonynamelass chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
The plots are too complicated for me to even try to fathom.

Mon dieu!
Ghostflea chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
loving it
LoireLoa chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
I LOVED Quirrel's speech last chapter! It was spot on! And I love that Harry had a completely valid reason for his own speech. Quirrel didn't ask the important questions this chapter, but perhaps it's because he's afraid of what the answers are. If Harry is the Wizarding World's only hope, and he abandons them for science... well, Harry will likely end up conquering the WW himself.
Sar-kaz-m chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
Congratulations! You have succeeded in making me laugh out loud while reading, for the most sustained amounts of time since a memorable weekend 10 years ago involving everything ever written by Spider Robinson & a bottle of Tullamore Dew.

I look forward to more.

Cheers,

Chibi-Kaz
This is AMAZING chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
I never even heard of the blog 'Less Wrong' before, and I just read your essay 'The Simple Truth' over there, and it's absolutely hilarious. Normally I'd eat compost before recommending a fanfiction to any of my friends, but I'm totally facebooking everyone about this. It's WAYYY more entertaining than Critical Thinking class (I wish you were our prof!).
Rodrigo Black Potter chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
I readed your seven rules, I say that they make a lot of sense, and that if anyone doesn't like that, thats too bad, because your story is fantastic!

And Voldemort really is Facist! That is a very insightful point of view! congrats! See ya !
monbade chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
intresting story, some parts had me roaring in laughter. Keep up the good work and by the way, when is draco due? :Dalso loved the hat coming selfaware

Monbade
covaithe chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
Better and better.
Lucy chapter 34 . 8/3/2010
Nice chapter! The last scene is especially funny. Obnoxious!Harry and Frustrated!Draco are my favorites, and this is leading into Dramione, isn't it? That would be the most plausible unconventional ship based on your characterizations, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them interact for the first time. I think they could build a very nice rapport plotting together. But maybe I'm not giving you enough credit for deviousness. Maybe your unconventional ship is actually... I don't know... Quirrelmort/Harry! That would be very entertaining. Maybe you should do that. Also, maybe you should UPDATE MOAR.
Wolfric chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Good chapter. I did guess that the scene with Blaise was a plant. I am not sufficiently involved to figure out who is manipulating who. Thanks for writing. W.
asdfkwoei chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
PWAHAHA this is hilarious in its ridiculously complicated-ness XD LOVE IT
ejhawman chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Good to see the debate about dictatorship vs. democracy carried on properly. And it did need to be pointed out to Harry that there is a time and a place for certain points to be made, which is not always in public.

Another valuable lesson, which most 11 year olds would be too bored to absorb: the politics. Quirrelmort tries to tell Harry that 'democracy' is usually in practice oligarchy, with the Minister's backers the real powers in the country. Who keeps Malfoy in check? Who keeps the collected Noble and Most Ancient Houses in check?

Harry takes his cues from wherever he wants, usually not the same place too many times running.

It seems I'm not the only one who suspects the 'move to Mars' line was a shout out to Negima. Blast OneManga for caving in to publishers... it will take a year for Del Rey to catch up to the present point.

Zabini is getting an upgrade to Player status. He is getting tutoring in how to be a better Slytherin - basically, be more careful, because in the adult world such dense plotting will more likely lead to failure and death.

Harry getting schooled on the finer points of many-layer plotting and Xanatos Gambits. Quirrelmort draws him in ever closer. But Harry's true loyalty can never be in doubt.

Zabini is shown to be a deeper agent than anyone suspects. Quickly Obliviated of his knowledge, but it serves to show that even Quirrel isn't on top of things. Possibly C&H is a complete outsider not mentioned yet?

Zabini's mother has had seven husbands - so far, anyway. The sort of witch that gives witches a bad rep among Muggles. But whoever said husband number 7 knew anything about the other six? I suspect the fact that she's run through so many husbands and inherited so much is a recent revelation. Probably a scandal filling up pages in the Daily Prophet, lawsuits from families of earlier husbands, etc.

Hermione has her first encounter with the Patronus charm. She should be going straight to Flitwick to ask about it, at least to keep it from nagging her in the near future. McG, of course, is being protective, trying to keep Hermione on the level.

Harry is going from heavily theoretical to more practical. Everything he says to Draco is now designed to manipulate. Pretty soon he will have to stop playing the head games and get on with studying.
nth-x chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
The feeling I'm getting from Harry is that he's got a bit of that cognitive dissonance going on after his political conversation with Quirrel. I'm looking forward to seeing him realize that fact and work to overcome it. On the other hand, I guess that Voldemort is going to be pretty set in his ways, so maybe Harry will start to realize that he isn't the best person to be taking all his cues from.

I loved Harry's realization that everyone seemed to be assuming he would fight for wizards first, last, and always, while that couldn't actually be furtherr from the truth.

Looking forward to the next installment, and thanks for writing!
Jaxtopher chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
You sir, are a god.

This is fantastic on so many levels. The outcome of the fight was clear - but Quirrels speech caught me off guard. I was expecting him to be fired on the spot, almost, but I suppose there's little point in firing someone from a position that will terminate them by the end of the year.
DoubleC chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
It's so amazing and shiny, that I can't pick any single point to gush over.

I'll just say again, go go Harry!

Also, Obliviate - so saw it coming... The most horrible spell in Harry Potter universe.

The Hat and Cloak guy is so enticing. All points to Quirrell, but what if he's not? Anyway, when's Quirrell finally gets beaten over his inflated ego, condescention, and other bits?

Sad about Hermione getting into all the plotting, - mostly, because she'd be way more obnoxious like that, - but the other sad part is, she's right about McGonagall's double standarts.

Still on stand-by waiting for more crazy awesome Dumbles.

Anyway, another brill post. A nice clean PDF or DOC at the end of it allwould be mighty welcome.
KuMardagg chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Things in this story just got even more interesting than before. And a little scary!

Up until now, it's been entertaining, watching the padawan twirl his lightsaber to the awe of his peers. But now we've suddenly caught a glimse of that Death Star orbiting just beyond the horizon...
dogfoot75 chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
You know, when this story started, I was fascinated - and now? I don't get where it's turned. It's less about science and turning the magical world on its ear than it is about... whatever the hell is going on. Draco and Hermione and Harry don't make sense as characters. Harry used to be 11 and a genius, but now? He seems like a petulant 8 year old.
Ijoan chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
I've really enjoyed reading these past two chapters. I knew there must have been something more to Hermione's wish then what she had first said. Anyway, looking forward to the next update. Love how everything is super complicated. :)
Animekitty47 chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Another reviting conversation between Quirrelmort and Harry. I can't wait to see Harry's reaction when the reveal comes. Mr. Hat and Cloak. Well, its probably not Dumbledore or Quirrel. Perhaps whoever helped Fred and George with their plot? But it looks like someone Obliviated Zabini for some reason, so maybe...Gah, I'm getting another headache.

Hermoine's conversation with McGongall was canon!Dumbledore in a nutshell, and...well, 'the wording was beautiful', isn't quite what I want to say about the whole thing, but I can't think of a better way...

lol Poor Draco. He's fascinated and hates his new knowledge and teacher at the same time.
luosha chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
not clear on harry's reasoning here:

if he doesn't keep voldemort from taking over all the wizards, how is he going to prevent voldemort from going against all the muggles? seems like only *after* V is defeated does he have the luxury of strategically weakening wizard cooperation in order to protect muggles.
Athla chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
9:30 in the morning nd my brain is finished.

good night.

kickass story.
Heidinanookie chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
ooohhh! Now things are getting interesting again! I was able to follow this entire chapter which considerably upped my curiosity again.

It's also good to see that Harry's dark side seems to be retreating. I mean, he had his first major disagreement with Quirrell over something I thought they'd agree upon... Harry's goal is world dominion, after all. Or is it? Maybe he realized now that that wouldn't be such a good idea.

heidi
yamiishot chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Maybe by some miracle that wish will come true 3
Luiz4200 chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
"The point of elections isn't to produce the one best leader, it's to keep politicians scared enough of the voters that they don't go completely evil like dictators do -"

Sad but true.

Please update.
Little Lion chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
And finally we see the Voldemort in Prof. Quirrell. Interesting take- but genius. Fits completely with this Quirrell's seeming intelligence and "helpfulness".
DvorakQ chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Oh yes. That was the stuff!

I really liked the blaise portion, I hope you reveal what hold the 7th husband has :P I'm kinda fascinated.

Your Voldemort definitely continues to be one of the best Voldemorts I've seen depicted in fanfiction. Totally looking forward to the reveal that he is Voldemort and to Harry's reaction to it.
elej chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
love this story, with your explanation of magic and the occasional humour. first time i ever seen a mentor!Quirrell too. liked the bits of physics and philosophy you put in (kind of lighter, easier to read version of the 'mars trilogy').

thanks for the entertainment

elej

(oh yeah, liked Entropic Specter's rendition of 'Granger's Sunshine regiment', the version that I originally had in my head sounded more like it came from a horror movie than a marching tune)
baceba chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
it started as good fiction but now it is very chaotic... :-(
jdboss1 chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
I'm happy happy happy another brilliant chapter 2 this weekend you just know how to spoil us

I don't believe it's Dumbledore or the defence teacher pretending to be Mister Hat I believe I believe it is the third party person that has affected Peter the rat informing Harry to find Hermione on the train except to accept

A time travel back Harry Potter is possible or Bill Weasley who recovered and the state imprisonment at the hospital with his future knowledge

whatever it is I will sit back and enjoy the ride

I liked what you did with Hermione she is not a plotter that I would have thought she would have been more immune to head teachers mind games as she has led an army

The only time I would support democracy is if I was the one that was the dictator

other than that I do believe democracy can of course be made better but never replaced with a dictatorship

I believe it is time for Harry to attempt to influence Hermione in mind Magic and corrupt to the dark side he's done the opposite with Draco it's time to do the opposite with Hermione

blaze this humorous character to keep around like his mother the Black widow
Bentham chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Less Wrong,

This fanfic is easily among the best I've ever read, and by far the most intelligent and the best Harry Potter fanfic.

You seem to be a fan of 'Death Note'. Have you ever heard of a manga called 'Liar Game'? In my opinion, it's much better than 'Death Note'; while the stakes are lower and it's certainly less fantastic and epic, the characters are more likable and so far it has had fewer "Xanatos Roulettes".

I think it would be right up your ally. You can read it for free here: manga/liar_game/
MiiRsEnd chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Honestly not quite so interesting as the last chapters, it needed some humour I think. Still, interesting to find out about Mr hat...

I still think if I were Harry I would still be using the time turner a bit more, I would probably be trying to have conversations or chess matches with myself though. Perhaps bouncing ideas off myself and seeing how mad I would go.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
And the horribly complicated (while stillv ery good) Double Chapter ends with a new (?) player making his appearance. The same guy that sent harry all these notes, I wonder?

Well, youll certainly enlighten us (and I am looking forward to that) soon enough, wont you?
anon chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Try Parallel Universe instead of Alternate Universe.

Excellent chapter as always. :)
phoebe turner chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
great chapter!
Gogolu chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Nice.
Primer Fan chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
Sorry, but this doesn't come *close* to Primer. I have watched Primer five times (not that much as some, I know) and still know I haven't caught onto all of it. I got this. Bit complicated, but I got it.

That being said, it was still plenty of exercize for my brain. Nice job, looking forward to another update. This is currently my first equal fanfic, the other being completely and utterly different from this one, but both that and this are, in a word, quality.

I like the little comment by Quirell about Harry talking in the same patterns as an adult, with the same emphasis, conviction and use of examples, without this actually meaning he knew what he was talking *about*. Too true. Listen to a convincing, amazing speech, break it down to it's content, rephrase into your own words and suddenly it sounds like all the little things you say everyday.

Martin Luther King, in my words: "don't be racist. The world would be awesome if we weren't, so we should work together for that, huh? Everyone should be nice and try hard and stuff, because that's good. It'll make the future better."

Friend (in their words): "Wow, Captain Obvious. Just... wow."
Ham Nox chapter 34 . 8/2/2010
This is SOOO good! Studying the laws of the magical world scientifically is something I've dreamed about doing since I first picked up the books!

And when he pulled an Ender Wiggin (Battle Magic... like I didn't notice the similarities right off the bat...) I literally squealed and hugged the screen screaming "I LOVE YOU ALTERNATE UNIVERSE HARRY POTTER! I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!"

I'm keeping an eye on this one. A VERY close eye... And if you die before finishing it, I just might have to kill you *evil glare*
nick012000 chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
A pity Harry didn't mention the Holocaust when he was warning of the dangers of dictatorships. 12 million innocent people dead.
mjs chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Hermione/Draco? Say it ain't so!
Guest chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Each time a new chapter comes out, I rediscover how much I love this story. And I loved Harry's train of thought on who he would side with if it came down to a war between the wizarding world and the muggles. And seriously, we know who would win. heh.
gwern chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
"I've posted a disclaimer in chapter one to this effect ("This is not a strict single-point-of-departure fic"). If anyone thinks this was a bad idea, now would be a good time to speak up."

Good idea. Set expectations up front. Misleading descriptions, counting on the quality of the fic to hook people and smooth over their sense of betrayal once they realize it's not just a single PoD fic, is a Dark Art.

""If you think there are no dangers in the course of action you advocate," said Harry, and despite everything his voice was growing sharp, "then that, too, is childish enthusiasm." Harry stared grimly into Professor Quirrell's eyes, who stared back without blinking."

Lame! Quirrel is well-educated and interested in political writings. There are *tons* of good quotes or rebuttals he could have used. Here's one for free, from Machiavelli (who Quirrel damn well would have read):

"Nor let him ever believe that a state can always make safe choices; on the contrary, let him think that he must make only doubtful ones; because this is in the order of things, that one never tries to avoid one inconvenience without incurring another; but prudence consists of knowing how to recognize the kinds of inconveniences, and to take the least sad for good."

"You must learn to blur your vision until you can see the forest obscured by the trees. Anyone who heard the stories about you, and who did not know that you were the mysterious Boy-Who-Lived, could easily deduce your ownership of an invisibility cloak. Step back from these events, blur away their details, and what do we observe?"

I am confuse. What does the Invisibility cloak have to do with Dumbledore manipulating Blaise into ensuring a tie, thereby turning events into a story of rivalry? Dumbledore already knows about the cloak because Harry effectively told him (assuming it wasn't Dumbledore who gave it to him in the first place!). If it's about how did Quirrel know Harry was standing there? then it just feels completely out of context since Quirrel immediately moves on to Dumbledore's plotting.

"In that small, shadowy corner was a black cloak so wide and billowing that it was impossible to determine whether the figure beneath was male or female, and atop the cloak a broad-brimmed black hat, and a black mist seemed to gather beneath it and obscure the face of whoever or whatever might lie beneath."

Is this a _Shakugan no Shana_ reference?

Anyway, yays! The mysterious third party has finally shown up again. Durn near forgot about him in all the fighting. Now, I don't buy that this is Quirrel or Dumbledore.

First, he talks more vulgarly than Quirrel or Dumbledore, and more like I would expect Remus Lupin or Sirius Black to talk. (Although there's still a lot of Quirrel there... The explanation at the end is very Slytheriny.)

Second, how would Quirrel catch up? He left in the right direction, yes, but possibly tailed by Harry, and again, how does he *pass* Blaise? Does he have 5 dexterity to run silently while casting invisibility charms? I give Quirrel a lot of credit, but he ought to be back to zombie-mode now. (Counterpoint: meeting Blaise is exactly the urgent business Quirrel has to transact - he has to intercept Blaise before he reaches Dumbledore's office where Dumbledore's legilimency may extract Cloak&Hat from Blaise's brain.) Not to mention, what does Quirrel have to gain by pretending to be C&H? He wasn't already employing Blaise, and he could have easily intimidated Blaise into working for him if he wanted to. Finally, Blaise seems to've carried out Dumbledore's orders - so what does C&H change? Nothing, so far as I can see.

Third, what motive does Dumbledore have if he is C&H? He could have, with ease, just Obliviated Blaise in his office, or upon exiting.

"Mr. Hat and Cloak gave a whispery chuckle. "Indeed," said the whisper. "With the murder of one student five decades ago being the exception that proves the rule, since Salazar Slytherin would have keyed his monster into the ancient wards at a higher level than the Headmaster himself.""

So, are we back to the Atlantean's reality-warping computer theory again? Or is this just accidental computer jargon leaking in? (I mean, what wizard would really phrase it as 'keyed' or 'higher level'?)
Phoenix Flight chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Wow, it's mental calisthenics just keeping up with all the plotting!
ShaThief chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
been following this for over a month now and it just keeps getting better...

I've read some good stuff and some stuff that was so bad it should be a crime to put online... But I must say this is the most clever, insightful and entertaining piece of fiction I've read on this site.
badkidoh chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Another great chapter.
Dragon Man 180 chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Wait... there are more battles ahead? Ugh, please get them over with! I'm a little sick of them. I want to see the year wrap up a bit and how things go at the end, especially with Norbert.
Hedi Dracona chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Harry, I am disappoint. That was a really jackass thing to do.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter. :)
SirRealism chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
I just started reading this fanfic today, and let me just say that if you ever try writing an original novel I will buy it.
109 chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Whoa there are references in the chapter notes. Complete set of seven idiot balls? Nice.
witowsmp chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Leaders are what cause wars. The average citizen doesn't care one bit about whatever excuse the government leader gives for going to war until she or he is done with their speeches, yet those leaders aren't the ones who go out and risk their lives. Without governments, there would be no big wars. In other words, chaos could be the true answer for peace - everyone taking care of themselves instead of banding together. I know that won't happen, but that would prevent big wars with countless casualties.

It looks like Zabini was helping Voldemort but didn't know it.
farwalker chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
hmmm...

Interesting.

And Harry's right - Quirrel's not thinking past the box of thier society.
uo-chou chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Harry really needs to learn to keep his mouth closed. Excellent chapter, as always! Thank you for sharing.
Lydia-kitten chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
The influence Ender's Game has had on you is very apparent. This book has a way of haunting most prodigies. It is just so easy for the intelligent part of the population to find someone to identify with in this book.

Anyway, have I mentioned you should write faster?
wisecurledqueen chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
This is a great chapter. The manipulations and words that you tie into this story are awesome. Hermione is gonna have a right shock soon, isn't she? I can't wait. Harry acts much like he should- a child who sees more than most, and can think up dozens of ways to kill you. Hope to see a new chapter in a couple of weeks- your story is addicting.

-curledruler
Taniera Highfire chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Okay, I dug out my years old account and cleaned out my embarrassing profile just to say this: Please, please do not label this story AU.

The first chapter of this story screams OOC, as no one in that chapter behaves as they do in the original series.

AU/OOC is a terrible thing to have your fanfiction regarded as. You know the geek hierarchy? The lesser known fanfiction hierarchy puts puts AU/OOC at the bottom, tied with Lemon Mary-Sue. There are many people who might otherwise enjoy your story but may never give it a good look if it seems like it's going to be AU/OOC.

At least by my definitions of such things, this story is not actually AU. It basically uses the Harry Potter Universe, with (what I consider) minor changes. AU is more like- Harry & Co are in a normal High School. There's no such thing as magic, but carry on! - or - Harry Potter, daring Space Viking, sails against the evil Space Overlord Voldemort who is conquering worlds and engraving Dark Marks into their farmland with GREEN LAZERS - or - Harry Potter, new financial analyst, lands his first wall street job and falls madly in love with the genius Hermione.

Stereotypical AU is much more AU. Your setting (Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, and their descriptions) is cannon, the characters are occupied in cannon pursuits (for the most part). You've ironed out some of the magic, and that's caused you to contradict cannon in a few places (but the cannon magic was inconsistent, so ironing's going to cause rips), but in general the magic is cannon. So it's not AU. This is AP (alternate plot [term not in common use {that was an understatement}]), but it's really the same universe.

P.S. I think it goes without saying that I love this fic. I have recommended it to all my friends and coworkers. Some of them have even read it.
Nongarak chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Oooh! What a chapter! Good jorb. Also IMPERIO.
Rigal chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
i reaally like your story! Everything about it is great, I really hope you keep up the good work and thanks for giving us your time and dedication :)
ilikebluepineapples chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
I'm letting out a sigh of relief that Harry realizes that Quirrel is manipulating him to distrust Dumbledore, even if it did take him a whole minute to figure it out :P But I was getting genuinely worried that Harry would remain oblivious, since he didn't catch on after the incidents with the Invisibility Cloak or the Legilimency (although Dumbledore's behavior was legitimately over the line there).

Too bad Draco isn't so smart. And by too bad, I mean that this whole story arc of winning Draco over from the Dark Side is hilarious. Especially Draco's POV. I'm getting attached to his pissy little narrative voice.

"Hermione just didn't know what to say to that. But the thought was occurring to her that Professor McGonagall might not have been warning her if she'd been a boy in Gryffindor instead of a girl in Ravenclaw and that was, well... "

Thank you for this! From everyone who was ever a nerdy little girl pushed into the harmless goody two shoes archetype, it's awesome that you're acknowledging how FUCKING ANNOYING that is. This is an AU, but you're building from something, and canon Hermione is the opposite of a shrinking violet. This is giving me hope that you'll display her ruthless streak instead of casting her into the bland blameless girl role that she gets so often in fanfic.

I was frightened for a moment that your version of Dumbledore really was the type to threaten harm to a student, and that made me sad. Dumbledore, as a character, is really ruined when he's stripped of his scruples, and yet so many fanfic authors do that in order to show how Manipulative he is. But the whole POINT is that he's renounced the "for the greater good" philosophy of Grindelwald! Besides, you don't really need to weaken Dumbledore, who was admittedly too powerful in the context of canon, because you've strengthened Harry and Voldemort. And... I just have a protective streak for Dumbledore. Everyone loves Dumbledore! So yes, very pleased that Dumbledore is still a Good Person.

I wonder who Mr. Hat and Cloak is. My first instinct is Quirrel, of course, but it would just be more *interesting* if there were another power player on the scene.

Thanks for the update, and maybe you should surprise us by updating again in the middle of the week or something .
Entropic Specter chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Thanks for the new chapters. A delicious read again.

Not much else of worth I have to say now, except: Great work, keep it up, please update soon!
Pentecost chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Quintuple agent? That's foreshadowing. And Quirrell is most obviously correct in his assesment.
William H. Stoddard chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Purely as a small style point, I'm disappointed to see one of your characters using the current vulgar sense of "the exception proves the rule." The actual Latin original is Exceptio probat regulam de rebus non exceptis ("the exception establishes the rule for things not excepted": If you tell your child" tonight you may still up till 10 to watch this special program," you are implicitly saying that normally they must be in bed before 10), which is actually an intelligent point about legal thinking; the common meaning effectively says that a counterexample to a theorem makes the theorem valid, which none of your characters ought to be dim enough to believe.
BURN3 chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
This is an amazingly well written and funny thought experiment you have going here. I wanted to get that out of the way before I move on. Is it a good story though? Hell, no. These kids are 11 and 12 years old! So many plot changes that have nothing to do with Harry and his 'Rationality'. The world your characters inhabit has nothing waiting for them but a knife in the back. Harry is also incredibly unlikeable. I DO like reading your story so far but I do think you're on the road to the 'Never-ending Fan-Fiction'. Good luck.
quickshot0 chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Move all the mages to Mars I guess could possibly a shout out to Negima?

And things are starting to get a bit complicated with rather many parties and plots running. I wonder if the man in the hat is simply one of the known parties but then in disguise though...

I suspect Harry is starting to become a bit more wary of Quirrel as well now and I am left wondering if Harry is on purpose manoeuvring Hermione and Draco together or not... It certainly would be a potential tactic to burn away some biases between parties. Or maybe he's just naturally annoying like this...

In any case congratulations in confounding the situation sufficiently that no one can be sure exactly what is going on any more from all the plots and counter plots and counter counter plots. It's rather like watching a Xanatos roulette and Xanatos gambits, crossed with a thirty Xanatos pileup with lots of Xanatos speed chess players attending. I estimate that this can't end up any different way then crazily.

Well I guess a few general lines are clear of course, which is where some of the parties are aiming for, question of course being how exactly they wish to achieve it. Well it'll be an interesting thing to observe I'm sure, Chaos I suspect will reign.
firedraygon chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Whoa, quintuple agent. Things are getting intense! I like Harry's aftermath ending. Very awesome work. Please write more soon!

~fd97
Shining Ducky chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Well, just read this one twice, probably going to go back and read the last few again, too.

I don't think you should label it AU- for me at least, I think of high school, magical creatures, other schools, founder's heir!Harry, and twin brothers, when I think of AU. Maybe you could put "slight AU", or something explaining why it is an AU.

And yay, new chapter. As for the chapter length, I want longer chapters while keeping a high update speed! :D

Not gonna happen? No? Okay.

Also, the Mediafire link doesn't seem to work.
ParvisSira chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
Oh. My. Goodness. (Full stop) May I tell you how amazing this is? May I tell you absolutely how much I loved this? May I tell you that when I re-read the last chapter I had tears in my eyes (especially Harry's aftermath). A rational world that is reaching for the stars with a higher population against a somewhat stagnant small society that is content to rest and not explore...there really isn't any question there for Harry the scientist.

Oh, but it hurts and oh, but it's so good. And I can't wait to see more!
Violet Shadows chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
My money is on Dumbledore actually being Mr. Hat and Cloak; it's the kind of dramatic thing he'd do to provide an enemy for the high fantasy setting he supports, since Quirrel isn't cooperating as much as he probably hoped he would.
Dureth chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
I'm so glad you said what Harry's wish was. Excellent chapter.
gecoma chapter 34 . 8/1/2010
i dont understand anathing about this story, but the wierd thing is its still good