Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ack1308 chapter 35 . 4/7
Harry is a troll. It's official.
sondrex76 chapter 35 . 2/9
I wonder.
Based on the changes made from the original books other then Harry, and the guy who thought Ron's rat were Pettigrew but wasn't, and the shadowy figure...there might be an actual time traveler at play,. That, or a god/'sorcerer with a LOT of power' are manipulating things.
For all I know it could be Harry from he future in a self contained time loop, this is really interesting(I am pretty sure all of these "predictions" are garbage, but still, fun to theorize)
Jatok chapter 35 . 11/14/2016
God damn, it isn't even halfway through the first year
sunset oasis chapter 35 . 9/3/2016
Wowwwww. Another interesting and full of twists chapter!
The Anguished One chapter 35 . 6/15/2016
I wonder who the unknown agent that used Zabini is. Clearly a competent schemer at least. Loving Harry dig at Draco's unusual alliance. His original wish was nice, though Quirrell's rejection to it kind of counters it.
Kichigai17 chapter 35 . 6/13/2016
Tried really hard to read this fic since soooo many people were telling me how amazing it is, but to me it just got too crazy and incoherent and has a really weird way of trying to be funny. Harry just got so insufferable, and its just deviated into this weird AU with the battle armies...why is this story so famous?
Guest chapter 35 . 2/6/2016
"Lucius would expect an attempt on his life. To be left tarred, feathered AND clucking in the great hall of Hogwarts would never occur to such a devious plotter!" That bit & the sage & onion stuffing in the Malfoy vault was totally priceless
Guest chapter 35 . 1/30/2016
Harry *really* wants Draco working with Hermione! And Draco hasn't got a clue!
Montara chapter 35 . 1/22/2016
So many plots...:
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 35 . 12/7/2015
More great character development in this chapter, it's fun to see Hermione's reaction to McGonagall's protectiveness and Draco's reaction to Harry's teasing.
ShadowLDrago chapter 35 . 10/20/2015
Hm...
PA chapter 35 . 5/20/2015
Still waiting to see the conclusion to this all ... and hat and cloak? Sounds like lucius ... let us see.
Berlin chapter 35 . 5/16/2015
This jumble of awesomeness has made me cackle madly numerous times.
Village-Mystic chapter 35 . 3/23/2015
Well, part of Harry's plan is working. The other bits are confusing. Hat and cloak could be Quirrell or Dumbledore or an unspeakable. Hat and cloak could be the person who sent Harry the cloak, but in the other universe Dumbldore had the cloak. But in the other universe Quirell let a troll in on Halloween and didn't in this one.
LauraDragon chapter 35 . 3/1/2015
interesting... how.
braindoll chapter 35 . 2/4/2015
Zabini says here that his mother married 7 husbands, just as in canon. But in canon, this revelation occurs almost 4 years later. If she's still at it during the time Zabini is at Hogwarts, she should only be up to 6 or so at the time of this story.
GingerHannah chapter 35 . 1/5/2015
I LOVE Blaise's character; I hope we'll be hearing lots more about him and the plot he's embroiled in, as well as the plots he is creating himself.

I'm enjoying reading a story where Hermione is offended when it's implied that she isn't very Slytherin. I hope she heeds McGonagall's advice about Dumbledore.

Harry's taunts about Draco and mudbloods were a little bit cute. Especially the one that mentioned alleles. I'm glad that Draco seems to clever/cunning to pay too much attention to Harry.
philharmony chapter 35 . 12/31/2014
I want to know who the smoky man was! Although I have some sort of weird suspicion that it was Snape... Even though that doesn't seem quite right. Anyways, thanks again for writing the best fanfic ever.
xikum chapter 35 . 11/30/2014
I'm guessing that Harry is just goading Draco - he doesn't believe anything badly of Hermione. And, that possibly, Quirrell was warning them about Harry, not really praising him to the student body of Hogwarts? Harry does seem far, far too arrogant, and well, where is his own empathy? Or is that the way he has come up with to teach Draco those lessons? Will we be seeing more of Snape?
MeiPhantomhive chapter 35 . 9/21/2014
Harry Potter: Master of Manipulation, Plots, Physics, Geniuses, and Prodigies.
thepkrmgc chapter 35 . 8/2/2014
yay for the intricate web of plots!, i wonder who is setting quirrell against dumbledor?

I really like harry's ideology against the "benevolent autocrat" theory of governance: and its reasurring that hes still aligned with us muggles when the chips are down
Tallman7 chapter 35 . 6/13/2014
This is the most confusing, convoluted, insane, psychotic, ridiculous Xanatos Pileup in the history of ever.

Well done.
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 35 . 5/20/2014

No one knew quite how many wizards there were in the world. He'd done a few estimates with Hermione and come up with numbers in the rough range of a million.

But there were six billion Muggles.

If it came down to a final war...

Professor Quirrell had forgotten to ask Harry which side he would protect.

A scientific civilization, reaching outward, looking upward, knowing that its destiny was to grasp the stars.

And a magical civilization, slowly fading as knowledge was lost, still governed by a nobility that saw Muggles as not quite human.

It was a terribly sad feeling, but not one that held any hint of doubt.

Good.
Grizzmon chapter 35 . 1/13/2014
Yes, Harry can be insufferable.
CMVreud chapter 35 . 12/30/2013
Quintuple agents in a three-way fight.
Classic.
z1dytd12901z7018273f18y2f31238 chapter 35 . 11/22/2013
Lol, I love the ending, though I know it's highly unlikely to be true.

And judging from the line 'and felt a twinge of malicious satisfaction at the sad look on Harry's face' - I'm guessing Harry wished for his real parents to come back alive? I wonder what he wished for the second time around.

Also, the information regarding Zabini's mother and him being a quint/quad riple agent was certainly interesting. I've formed a theory that all in all he was just being used by the Hat and Cloak, though I'm still not entirely sure who they are. Could they be the sorting hat, or another hat? Anyway, I think the Hat and Cloak made him forget he was being controlled by them in the first place, because they blanked his memory and made him think he had only been working for four purposes at the same time, (Chaos, Dragon, Sunshine and himself) and not a fifth.

Anyway, this chapter was vividly interesting and I hope to read on :)
addikhabbo chapter 35 . 8/19/2013
Awesome!
jman9991 chapter 35 . 7/9/2013
Blood for the blood god! Skulls fpr the skull throne! Poxes for the plaugefather Nurgle! Death to the false Emporer!
Anon chapter 35 . 7/4/2013
I want Quirrell to stick around too.
L.E chapter 35 . 5/14/2013
Great chapter! Super awesome story!
RussianDestruction chapter 35 . 4/27/2013
Harry's baiting of Draco is HIRARIOUS.
I can't BELIEVE Dumbledore was involved at all, much less to this level! Reading these plots has me feeling as though I'm in a time warp and/or just shot off into hyperspace.
Guest chapter 35 . 2/11/2013
What a depressing chapter.
Still disagree on so many levels and am angry at stuff, so I stopped reviewing.
But
Now
I have to encourage you strongly to read Post-Democracy by Colin Crouch.
So you might learn, not to declare the patient dead before it is.
Not if having this puplicity and not even jokingly, not even as one sided fictional dialogue.
petalene chapter 35 . 1/30/2013
The plot thickens. I'm enjoying all the twists and turns. This is complicated in a good way.
EmeraldWings90 chapter 35 . 1/28/2013
This is confusing the hell out of me - morally, too. But it's good to know that Mr. Hat and Cloak exists... I'm guessing he's the one who gave Harry the cloak, too, and tried to make him mistrust Dumbledore. I really don't get how he got the Cloak, though. But I'm pretty sure Dubledore's still good, you don't seem a Dumbledore-basher (I hate that), and I'm pretty sure Quirrell is still Voldemort, partly because you're not making this so fundamentally AU, but I really don't get what he's trying to accomplish here - furthermore, I have a lot of trouble imagining Voldemort acting this way for any reason. He's just weird. Extremely weird. Could it be that he had abandoned his plan of being a Dark Lord and that's why he's both helping and trying to corrupt Harry at the same time? Argh.

The only time I was more confused than this by a story in terms of morality and truth and people's agendas was when I was playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords. (spoilers in this paragraph for the game) Kreia confused and frustrated the hell out of me, because I liked her and she helped but then she went on disapproving of choices I made that gave me Light Side points (I always play 100% Light Side, I can't bear to do anything else), but then approved at other times, and she remained fully neutral the whole time, and gave advice and explanations that made sense but felt somehow wrong, and then everyone else was telling me that I was inherently *wrong*, never mind my 100%LS affiliation, but she saved me by killing all those Masters and then we were enemies but I still don't understand why, and she was just generally a total Palpatine-Yoda-Dumbledore-Voldemort-Quirrell-Lucifer-*thing*. Heavy on the alluring but fallen and manipulative angel-turned-demon part. And she attacked me and I killed her and she was glad I did and gave me some last-minute advice and I cried for half an hour. And it's still the best game I ever played.

Um. I'm not particularly sure where I was going with that... except that, though Harry is smarter than I was, he also seems more unstable, and finding out about Quirrell will be *bad*. And I'm not even sure what is there to find out, like I'm still not sure about Kreia despite playing that game repeatedly. So, anyway... I guess what it all boils down to is I really like this even though it's painful.

Oh, and Harry thinking he'd choose Muggles over wizards if it came down to it is extremely reassuring for me. He has his darknesses and instability and weirdness (BTW love the name General Chaos - if you take the first word's simple meaning instead of looking at it as a military rank, it's delicious), but that's totally the right choice, and one that even otherwise 'good' wizards would have real trouble making. Kudos to him.

I wonder if we'll ever find out if Bill Weasley really was a time traveler? I'm inclined to say yes, he was right about Pettigrew after all... (Again, I don't suppose you changed that, this doesn't seem like that kind of AU.) That's so totally weird. I wonder if Mr. Hat and Cloak is a time traveler, too. I can think of no major players he could be, otherwise, and I don't think he'd be an OC.

I'm usually very good at predicting/guessing plot points in stories, be it fanfic, movie, TV series or book... this is totally throwing me for a loop. I have guesses, but not nearly enough, and I can see hints but I don't know how to put them together. I love it when that happens - I love guessing, and though I also love being right and too much uncertainty can scare me-make me leave a story alone for a while to digest-it's much better than being overly, boringly predictable. (Though there are plenty of stories which are pretty predictable and are not boring at all.)

Okay, I'll stop now.

-Wings
StrangeoneXD chapter 35 . 12/19/2012
The armies are a really interesting thing to the story
voodooqueen126 chapter 35 . 8/2/2012
Hermione was insufficiently sociopathic for Slytherin...
Satirica chapter 35 . 7/17/2012
So that's why Professor Quirrell disagreed...
Georgie Orgie chapter 35 . 5/9/2012
/And Blaise Zabini went on walking toward the Headmaster's office, smiling, content to be a quintuple agent -

For a moment the boy stumbled, but then straightened, shaking off the odd feeling of disorientation.

And Blaise Zabini went on walking toward the Headmaster's office, smiling, content to be a quadruple agent./

Well played!

/Even when he was a child, I'm sure he must have been brilliant, and strong of mind and heart, with courage enough for three Gryffindors. Sometimes the Headmaster asks too much of his young students/

That's my Dumbledore theory, he's not evil, he's not old and wise, he WAS brilliant. Dumbledore was a child prodigy, and as Potter had observed, child prodigies burn out. Old Dumbledore isn't feebly senile: he's still smarter than Fudge, smarter than Umbridge, and canon Voldemort - but old Dumbledore isn't remotely as brilliant as his earlier potential - that has been exhausted by the family traumas.
ScreenwriterKitteh chapter 35 . 4/21/2012
I am sure that someone else has pointed this out - I desperately hope so - but there is no true democracy currently in place in the US, England, or any other government I am aware of. The majority of the figures in power in the US are unelected, and those who are elected are, as Quirrell points out, elected more by money than by informed public consent, where informed is the key word as much as public is. True democracy, where each person has equal power to the next, is often referred to as socialism, and shunned.
timunderwood9 chapter 35 . 3/16/2012
'Professor Quirrell nodded. "As I thought." The Defense Professor sighed. "In your future career, Mr. Zabini, I do not suggest trying any plots that complicated. They have a tendency to fail."

"Um, I said that to the Headmaster, actually," Blaise said, "and he said that was why it was important to have more than one plot going at a time."'

Your version of Dumbledore is totally awesome.
Channitut chapter 35 . 2/1/2012
Pigfarts, pigfarts, here I come! Pigfarts, pigfarts, yum, yum, yum!
AR chapter 35 . 9/21/2011
I feel uneasy...

I'm not sure why. I feel like I should be understanding some key element to the whole story here but I just don't grasp it..

So he believes in chaos and in traitors and negates Quirrell's plan of following one mark. Understandable...too easy to fail. No one person should have that much power..

But..I dont know..something doesnt seem right..

I'll figure it out. But wow...you really know how to make someone think dont you? I was so engrossed in the story I forgot to review the previous chapter. Ah well..
Megan McAlistair chapter 35 . 9/4/2011
"I said a good deal less than I wished to say"

if something lacks the entire context, it becomes easy to misunderstand

the key is not necessarily just unity, it's trust and maybe love

"the world's stupidest person may say the sun is shining, but that doesn't make it dark out"

no, you're wrong, like sugar, it's evil because Hitler ate sugar

he had a dog, too, and a wife, and he spoke German, ernsthaft

"they would be as transparently silly to you as Quidditch."

of course they're silly if there are only two serious parties and one newspaper

what if there were at least five (six if you count the right extremist party) different parties? and every newspaper criticized as much as they wanted, including the newspapers by the parties themselves, which always criticized all the other candidates so that by putting them in a blender you'd have a whole lot of paper dust?

"The point of elections isn't to produce the one best leader, it's to keep politicians scared enough of the voters that they don't go completely evil like dictators do -"

it's why there haven't been riots in the USA yet

"it is ridiculous to suggest that any of the Ministers of Magic elected during that period could have taken Dumbledore's place!"

why the hell does the leader have to be the champion/general?

wizard logic

"and figure out how to evacuate all the wizards to Mars or somewhere"

how about a grand scale Bubble-Head Charm? bit of sunscreen, Aguamenti, a few plants... done

"If all Britain took the Mark of a strong leader, they would be a peril to the whole magical world.

And if the whole wizarding world took a single Mark, they would be a danger to the rest of humanity."

what if that is Quirrel's plan?

"I said just what you told me to,"

I honestly suspected that, wow, I'm good

then again, Fresh Dumbledore would never do such a thing

"Actually Blaise would have betrayed all three generals for free, and never mind his cousin either, but he'd seen no need to say that."

If you're good at something never do it for free

except if you don't mind at the moment

the law can't make an exception for a good person, people can

"and nodded to Mr. Hat and Cloak"

if that was Harry he'd be a brilliant actor

but how likely is that...? what are the odds?

"content to be a quintuple agent"..."content to be a quadruple agent"

subtle but effective

you Sir know how to tell a good story

"Professor McGonagall might not have been warning her if she'd been a boy in Gryffindor"

yes, poor Rowling-Harry never got that warning

"So what did you wish the first time?"

I'm guessing he wanted Askaban to close

"I wish Professor Quirrell would teach Battle Magic again next year"

I was wrong, stupid curse
ironhair chapter 35 . 8/28/2011
harry's alleged 1st wish reminded me of Q's final purpose as per canon (Your engaging story just made me plain forget certain basic things)...

If the weasley twins could get to the mirror that easily, why can't Q who's an experienced battle wizard AND an accomplished Occlumency expert who can easily fool the mirror?

I mean even if he can't fool the mirror, what's he waiting for? An opportunity to learn all he can about potter?
Isa Knightwalker chapter 35 . 7/17/2011
I'm glad that Harry isn't actually planning to destroy the muggle society or anything (since I sometimes wonder what side he is truly on besides his own). Although I'm starting to think he has Mudblood as many times as Draco at this point. I'm curious about what he asked Quirrel. I had assumed he'd ask to learn that outer space spell, but it seems like a more serious matter.

Also I'm glad that Dumbledore really isn't that evil, you had me worried for a second that your Dumbledore was seriously having people hurt in order to win a school game or something.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 35 . 4/12/2011
Hmm, I wonder if that's *really* what Harry wished for the first time... doesn't seem like the sort of thing that Quirrell would burn on sight. Blaise... new teeth in an interesting character, lovely. And what *is* the cause of the mistrust between Q and Dumblydorre. Must keep reading!
ARMH chapter 35 . 2/23/2011
So that was the wish! I guess I had just forgotten it. I don't think i even noticed Blaise being obliviated last time i read this! (if that is indeed what happened)
Avi chapter 35 . 2/3/2011
Lovely layers of intrigue, but the whole chapter was spoiled for me by one thing. The presence of the "President of the United States" in this narrative is a jolt to the setting, taking me out of the "magical British boarding school" and into the realm of "world reinterpreted by an American" so fast that it hurt. Part of the charm of Doctor Who, Harry Potter or any British fiction is a world predicated on British thought, and not the American culture so pervasive it doesn't notice itself.

While I'm not going to assume that elections for the Minister of Magic work the way election of the Prime Minister does in our world, you seem to have assumed it works the way it does in the US for the President. In Britain the only people who votes for Prime Ministerial candidates are the ones in the PM's own constituency. It's cute when the Hogwarts word works exactly like the British one with a little magic twist. It's weird when it's rewired for no reason.
Andrius chapter 35 . 1/12/2011
It seems to me at this point (Ch. 35) that Harry is making Draco and Hermione cooperate on purpose, as another step of "turning" Draco. Which is of course a pretty cool thing.
aloneinmyhead chapter 35 . 12/13/2010
Wow!

Firstly, when I clicked the review button my webpage says that you're at 9,999 reviews. Maybe this will be your 10,000th? Maybe not (I actually have noticed that a bunch of people's reviews have similar trains of thought and are saying things like "10,000th review"! And also surprisingly, "Over a thousand!" ;). Though I guess that just goes to show how great are rare this milestone is (ignoring the part where reviewing for the "10,000th review" inflates your number of review). In any case, weather you are actually now over 10,000 reviews or somewhere very close/around there. I believe that a big congratulations is in order. Congratz!

Now, I have to say that I haven't read though all that you've posted yet but I'm absolutely loving what I have read. I'm a great supporter of the integration of the arts and sciences for broader knowledge and the building of a better person. This fic beautifully integrates the two and I find myself looking up theories, philosophers, and thinkers as often as I'm looking up words that I am unfamiliar with. This makes me very happy and my reading of your work very enjoyable (because I do love to learn, especially when I read - and yes, I have checked out Less Wrong). I'm going to cut this review short and will quite probably review again when I actually finish your story up to where it is now but suffice it to say that this fic places easily among the top 5 (Harry Potter ones) that I've ever read. If not ranked first for enjoyment, this certainly ranks first for most thought provoking (by far!). Thanks for writing and congratz again on making it to 5 digits.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 35 . 11/3/2010
Uh, it's so, plotty. It's hard to keep up with this story. Of course, that makes it more interesting.
Indigo Ziona chapter 35 . 10/28/2010
'It was very hard for Harry to control his breathing. "Professor Quirrell, I said a good deal less than I wished to say, but I had to say something. Your proposals are extremely alarming to anyone who has the slightest familiarity with Muggle history over the last century. The Italian fascists, some very nasty people, got their name from the fasces, a bundle of rods bound together to symbolize the idea that unity is strength -" '

There's a Doctor Who episode with Jon Pertwee's Doctor, where he stalls the TARDIS in an alternate universe with a fascist regime, and the first thing he sees to indicate this are the words “Unity is Strength”. I was a student at the time and there was much laughter as “Unity is Strength” was the motto of our student union. At the end of the story, the AU characters caused the world to end, and as it slowly melted, the Doctor told them they had to help him take the TARDIS back to our universe so he could stop us from making a similar mistake. The characters ask to go with him, but he mutters something about the fabric of time and space tearing if they travel with him (he's a Time Lord and exempt from such things). They help him anyway. I don't think they were such bad folks after all.

'He wanted to call a time-out and make Professor Quirrell read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and then start the conversation over again. "I don't suppose that if I suggested democracy was a better form of government than dictatorship -" '

To quote Churchill, “Democracy is the worst system, apart from all the others.”

'"If you had not grown up with elections, Mr. Potter, they would be as transparently silly to you as Quidditch." '

Perhaps. The previous British election was bloody appalling. There was a debate – the first of its kind – between the leaders of the three main parties. This was interesting in itself as no one took Team Yellow remotely seriously. Current affairs satire loved to roundly mock the two main parties, then finish it off by mocking the general hopeless irrelevance of the third. Then the debate happened, and people actually liked Captain Yellow (or Nick Clegg, as he is blandly known), but Team Yellow didn't actually have enough people standing to form a proper government. But due to technicalities, Dastardly Dave our prime minister now has Captain Yellow as his trusty sidekick. They're fucking up the country. Thanks guys. Not that Gordon Brown was much better...

There are so many problems with elections it would take an age to sort out, but mostly I think the problem has to do with ignorance and apathy, ie. it is difficult for anyone to know enough about all the issues to vote properly, therefore you vote on a broad spectrum of issues, many of which you will know nothing about or you won't care about as they don't affect you. Recipe for bloomin' disaster, I tell you. I like an idea I heard of a sort of proxy voting, where you vote by issue rather than by person, and you can employ a trusted proxy who knows or cares more than you do to vote. It's not perfect, but then neither's the current system.

"It's my cousin Kimberly," Blaise said, swallowing again and trying to control his voice. "She's real, and she's really being bullied, Potter checked that, he wasn't dumb. Only Dumbledore said that he'd nudged the bullies into doing it, just for the plan, and if I worked for him she'd be fine afterward, but if I did go with Potter, there was more trouble Kimberly could get into!"

That sounds a bit harsh. A Sickle says he's lying.

"I said just what you told me to," said Blaise.

Ahaha. Yes.

"It wasn't really all that interesting," Harry said with obviously artificial lightness. "Just, I wish Professor Quirrell would teach Battle Magic again next year."

Brilliant... both as a wish and as as narrative resolution. I hate it when writers build something up and then whatever totally scary or amazing thing you're meant to be faced with is totally dull. It's much cooller when it turns out to be something else entirely :)
Kutta chapter 35 . 10/11/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 35 . 10/8/2010
Excellent chapter.
Work Designer chapter 35 . 9/25/2010
The correct and appropriate magical Government is an entirely fascinating topic.

I think the presence of unbreakable vows in JK Rowling's universe makes it possible to have another failsafe in government. Irrespective of how you choose the person, ve can be made to swear an unbreakable vow to follow the best interests of the society in the best way he thinks possible.
OmegaNY037 chapter 35 . 9/12/2010
The world population in 1991 (when Harry was 11) was around 5.3 billion, not 6 billion. That threshold was crossed around 1999 or 2000.
Yuen chapter 35 . 9/7/2010
"I wish Professor Quirrell would teach Battle Magic again next year."

This single sentence broke my heart.
Eoph chapter 35 . 9/2/2010
I love the principle, that being said:

If i didn't completely forget the motives and personalities of every character from the original book i would find this an insult to my beloved childhood heroes and villains.

If every name was changed i would enjoy the story much more and it is very interesting to shove a scientist into the middle of a magical world.

So

A for story idea

C for keeping the characters as they were (Ron is the only one that seems to be the same in both cannon and this story.)

B for keeping the rules the same (partial transfigurations are fairly common mistakes in young wizards as far as i could tell)

and a super A for the references to everything from Asimov to Feynman which make me laugh or at least nod every time.
James Birdsong chapter 35 . 8/13/2010
*mad laughter* That works.
Morbious20 chapter 35 . 8/13/2010
great chapter
pazed chapter 35 . 8/10/2010
Okay sorry but I'm out of here - this story has drifted into just so much gobbledygook for my probably inferior brain and education.

Hope you continue to enjoy writing and that others continue to find it entertaining; but from me it's farewell.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 35 . 8/7/2010
This is my review for Ch. 32.

Lol irl "the gift...of death."
Less Wrong chapter 35 . 8/7/2010
Due to the insert of a new Ch. 32, most of the old reviews for this chapter, 'Coordination Problems, Pt 3', are filed under Ch. 34.