Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Kyuubi-dono chapter 4 . 9/22
"On the other hand, one competent hedge fundie could probably own the whole wizarding world within a week. Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ran out of money, or had a week free."
I. Just. Can't. Right now. This story is amazing. I wonder what he'll do with the discovery of Parseltounge.
WhiteDragonWarrior chapter 4 . 9/19
Omg, this is hilarious! A very different childhood, but still manages to exasperated the he'll out of McGonagall. Love it!
Coolspygirl chapter 4 . 8/29
XD XD XD XD XD XD omg love that ending. This might be my normal response from now.
mymi092 chapter 4 . 8/18
your Harry is awesome
Kimmytrainer chapter 4 . 7/23
Oh Harry XD
I read this part allowed to my mum...

She replied saying " you would be doing a great service to my house if you got off your phone and cleaned it.
arsenicminds chapter 4 . 6/2
i dont understand some of what harry says (the genius!) but holy potatoes this is so funny im dead. poor minerva
walkingspring chapter 4 . 5/30
Your Harry is so endearing to read.
yukaraii chapter 4 . 5/19
You must be very good at science. (Understatement of the century.)
MoonxSpiritxWolf chapter 4 . 5/19
And . . . cue the coughing fits again. Really, this book isn't good for my health! However, it's been a while since I've read a book as good as this one!
Jhuffy chapter 4 . 5/17
Hahahaha! Oh he's amazing!
Yeza Nairomof chapter 4 . 4/28
OH GOD, IM ALREADY DYING FROM READING THIS CHAPTER

I CANT BREATH, I NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR
ack1308 chapter 4 . 4/6
Oh dear. I see troubles ahead for anyone locking horns with Rational!Harry.
FeMorgenstern11 chapter 4 . 4/2
haha, dude, you are a genious, I have to say, I'm expecting to be something near from what you're!
httpkirby chapter 4 . 3/14
FANTASTIC!
SnuggleKitten69 chapter 4 . 3/10
While I like the chapter, I personally see Minerva being a bit prudish here.
Darrk Rabbit chapter 4 . 3/5
This makes me laugh. :')
Reyna chapter 4 . 3/1
Utterly amazing! Never thought I'd see Harry petunia in that ligh
kronoan chapter 4 . 1/27
I love this Harry! He's so much more of a Hermione that Hermione! :)
ivyriry chapter 4 . 12/31/2016
Harry es definitivamente divertido. Oh oh cuidado con este niño. Un par de cosas más para Google too. Muy interesante hasta el momento.
Silverfyre16 chapter 4 . 12/16/2016
Ha! At the start, Harry seems to be wiser than most adults, but this chapter shows his inner kid. It's okay to bribe people with BOOKS? That was SO funny.
AnonyMouse chapter 4 . 11/20/2016
I have been smiling since the very first chapter. Wonderful idea and superb writing!

Now for the bad news: someone has posted this on AOO as their own writing. While I am disappointed at the plagiarism, I am quite happy to have discovered this.

/works/8599897/chapters/19721923
Jatok chapter 4 . 11/13/2016
it's funny how age is associated with intelligence and wisdom, when it often shouldn't be
Guest chapter 4 . 11/6/2016
OMG!
Anatia chapter 4 . 11/4/2016
It's amazing how powerful is harry's reasoning. I loved the way how Griphook looked at him. :D
rambkowalczyk chapter 4 . 11/2/2016
Harry calculating his net worth or his get rich quick scheme is So un-Harry Potter that it was funny. Not sure what to make of this.
MagicGirl11 chapter 4 . 10/11/2016
THAT was the funniest thing ever!
dojomojo chapter 4 . 10/11/2016
"what would you do with what amounts to a tardis space?" store books is the best response
dojomojo chapter 4 . 10/11/2016
frevgae chapter 4 . 10/11/2016
kjihbujblo
whitehound chapter 4 . 9/22/2016
Well, according to the exchange rate on the backs of the QTtA and FBaWtFT booklets, a galleon is £3. If you think it's impossible for a family to be too poor to afford £35 - or even £21 - for a new wand, on top of all the other school supplies they have to buy, you must be very wealthy. My income for example is currently about £80 a week and would have been a lot less in 1991. A £35 wand would have been nearly a whole week's income.

Of course, it's not possible for Galleons to be actual gold and yet only worth £3 or £5. They'd have to be the size of lentils for that to be true - although I suppose they could have been magically expanded without increasing their real mass. More probably they are just gold-coloured, like Muggle British £1 and £2 coins, and Sickles are silver-coloured like our 5p, 10p and 50p coins.
Rambling Drabble chapter 4 . 9/18/2016
1. Didn't know about seigniorage. So governments can make some profit PURELY by producing currency, according to its definition. Whether that's right or not (because it's probably much more complicated), thanks, HPMoR, for adding new words to my vocabulary.
2. Oohhh, another one: arbitrage. Didn't know THAT was the name for Harry's get-rich-quick scheme. Neat-o.
3. The idea is filed away for a free week. Perhaps for a certain... break?
4. Didn't see it before. That final request WAS (just a bit) too theatrical. Gotta remember that pretty much everything Harry does is calculated. Griphook would be grinning if he knew.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 4 . 9/14/2016
Harry may be a Ravenclaw, but he wouldn't do badly in Slytherin.
rickyrules1998 chapter 4 . 9/13/2016
Oh my lord hilarious
Guest chapter 4 . 9/13/2016
I love the personality you give Harry! Canon Harry is confused at this point, but your Harry is already making plans:)
Lady of the Sky chapter 4 . 9/7/2016
No chill.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 4 . 9/4/2016
I'm surprised he didn't say anything about how unprofessional it was to threaten a child let alone a prospective student with kidnapping and endangerment. Especially over how he spends HIS money on useful and needed things that she has little right to dictate over. And then ask about whatever magical school options are available that know how wrong it is to try to unnecessarily threaten and control a child's money.
sunset oasis chapter 4 . 9/2/2016
Harry is so brilliant. Pure gold. I love his interaction with McGonagall.
ArtemisKirara7 chapter 4 . 8/30/2016
YAAAAAAAS WIZARDING ECONOMY FINALLY
OMG I LOVE YOU THIS IS GENIUS AND SO HILARIOUS!
RHJunior chapter 4 . 8/30/2016
It never occurs to Mister Logic here to question why a schoolteacher has control of HIS bank account...
Feathers chapter 4 . 8/28/2016
Incredible. INCREDIBLE. This is one of the best fanfictions I have ever read. A long round of applause goes to you, my friend, and the titbits of science that I now have in my middle-schooler brain.
BAFan chapter 4 . 8/26/2016
/On the other hand, one competent hedge fundie could probably own the whole wizarding world within a week. Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ran out of money, or had a week free./

Love this!

~Debbie
himalay1729 chapter 4 . 8/25/2016
Guest chapter 4 . 7/2/2016
Didn't like the story after the last bit with McGonagal. Why is Harry arguing with someone not his parents on what he can and can not buy? He isn't spending her money but his, ha could spend all of his money in his trust vault and still not worry because it refills each year. That was a dumb argument
Jessie Deal chapter 4 . 6/24/2016
I'm in love with this story since chapter 1. It clearly shows you know what you talk about - and after I looked it up, boy do you know what you talk about.
Really appreciate the logic parts here so far. And the geeky references, too.
myafroatemydog chapter 4 . 6/23/2016
This was a good chapter pretty funny
YungMoolah chapter 4 . 6/5/2016
Pretty good story so far :D Both a brat and persuasive af!
Helga42 chapter 4 . 5/24/2016
This is soo much fun to read! I havn't laughed this much while reading for some time, it's just so great Your Harry is amazing, i just love him. And the best part is that there are 122 chapters to look forward to. :)
SpawnOfCrota chapter 4 . 5/23/2016
I'VE JUST REALIZED

THIS FANFIC IS ANSWERING ALL THE QUESTIONS I HAD (have) WHILE I WAS READING THE SERIES

OMYGODS THIS IS AMAZING I LOVE IT!

*faint squealing can be heard in the distance*
Happy chapter 4 . 5/20/2016
You are brilliant! I am thoroughly enjoying your brilliance and cleverness. I quite prefer inquisitive Harry to movie-sullen Harry!
TheLittleRoguex chapter 4 . 5/12/2016
Hehe
Mab's Mad Fiddler chapter 4 . 5/10/2016
Potter, venture capatilist. Damn, that gives a man shivers.
gi-freakazoid chapter 4 . 5/1/2016
I had never heard of Fermi calculations before. But it seems quite effective here. Harry's calculations are making me wonder too.
Guestamazing chapter 4 . 4/10/2016
I think I'll review every other chapter, because this story is already complete and I'm very interested in it. Once I start a great story I just can't stop XD. Meanwhile, I absolutely adore smart Harry! He's smarter than I am! Ooh, Hogwarts is going to be in for it! I wonder how Harry will react to out fav smarty pants, Hermione...
I'm in love chapter 4 . 4/6/2016
I couldn't stop laughing when you took apart the Wizarding financial system. I have a TON of respect to JKR, and I KNOW that it's a hell of a lot easier to stand on the sidelines picking apart fiction than it is to actually write it. However, wizarding currency has driven me nuts since book 1! Thank you for this. Seriously. Ha!
DONTHAVEANAME125 chapter 4 . 4/4/2016
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAOAAAAAAA!

Phew
C.M.Alm chapter 4 . 4/3/2016
yey! loved this!
thelonelylover11 chapter 4 . 3/31/2016
Well this looks promising :-)
Guest chapter 4 . 3/31/2016
I hope he didnt get the money. Its a child, it would do senseless, dangerous things.
RuneJoker chapter 4 . 3/28/2016
This story is awesome, you are awesome for writing such a story. I was hooked on the 3rd chapter.
This Muse chapter 4 . 3/6/2016
"Not that I'm accusing you of being ungrateful or anything."

I. Can't.
Guest chapter 4 . 3/5/2016
Paragraph 21, starting with "Wasn't the Muggle gold to silver ratio somewhere around 50 to one?" Should this statement not read " silver to gold ratio"? There is 50x more silver than gold, not the reverse.

This fanfic is amazing.
potatoman chapter 4 . 3/1/2016
holy moly
knightzero chapter 4 . 2/25/2016
Nice Chapter. The negotiation with McGonagall was amusing and funny. Harry Potter beeing snobby is a bit antipathetic to me but fits perfectly his character.
Guest chapter 4 . 2/21/2016
...This is quite possibly the best HP fic I've ever read.

And I swear the end of every chapter just keeps making me laugh. Like, this line...

"Hogwarts is quite capable of teaching the basics. And I suspect, Mr. Potter, that if I leave you alone for two months with your schoolbooks, even without a wand, I will return to this house only to find a crater billowing purple smoke, a depopulated city surrounding it, and a plague of flaming zebras terrorising what remains of England."

...This was pure writing genius.
Luvd007 chapter 4 . 2/18/2016
So far, everyone seems to be amused by the character. I can't seem to get past his age, background not withstanding. He's a kid. Not a teenager, a 10 year old kid. He's also coming off snobbish and superior. All in all, a total twat. Does he have any redeeming traits? Hermione's a muggle and super smart, as well as logical. Yet, she never came off so hateful. Never have I ever instantly disliked a character so soon. I hope it gets better
Guest chapter 4 . 2/18/2016
Well Harry is a bit of a twat, isn't he?
Guest chapter 4 . 2/18/2016
Had to take another pause to write up review. When someone comes into contact with any new currency, I would not like to think that these are the sorts of questions that are ever asked. At least not right away, and definitely not by a freaking 10 year old. Where's the wonder? Where's the innocent wide eyed stare that would emit from ANY 10 year old upon seeing mounds of gold, logician or no. Maybe the story should have started with an older version of Harry Potter? Maybe him upon entering a college version of Hogwarts, perhaps.
Winter Fox of Summer chapter 4 . 2/15/2016
This version of Harry would get along well with Goblins. I can't believe I didn't see that coming.
Guest chapter 4 . 2/9/2016
harry is so greedy about the real metals in the coins,
why does he even want to take over the world?
Story.Lover.Jynger chapter 4 . 1/31/2016
lol! this Harry is soooo hilarious! I'm going to love this story!
Guest chapter 4 . 1/29/2016
Lacking magical bags- and trunks-of-holding, I suffered similar book-related problems as a child. Fortunately, digital reading devices have since resolved the issue. A non-magical bag-of-holding that allows me to carry around as much reading material as I could desire in one palm-sized item. (All 7 Harry Potter books included!) Makes packing for vacations SO much better!
Montara chapter 4 . 1/20/2016
:))) Harry can be so persuasive! I loved his way of getting things :D
scout360pyro chapter 4 . 1/13/2016
Already I can feel the onset of manaical cackling
... I will definitely enjoy this story.
XxTealJadexX chapter 4 . 12/20/2015
XD i love harry in this
rlsa chapter 4 . 12/19/2015
I so very much love scientific!Harry. This chapter is so funny and hilarious.
Stitchious chapter 4 . 12/8/2015
Oh my I am in awe of this story, I'm only at chapter four and I'm already in hysterics, tears of laughter don't do justice. My dear author you have a fabulous gift you have used in writing this story. There are not many that I review but this I couldn't resist, it is so funny and such a fantastic side of harry, please keep writing this story has made my day :)
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 4 . 12/4/2015
"It's okay to bribe people with books" best sentence ever! Harry is rather manipulative for a kid, but it's hilarious.

Ron Paul would love the wizarding economy: gold standard and no knowledge of paper currency. Harry should definitely break it, it needs someone to bring it into the 21st (or 20th) century. And figuring out how to exploit the rules is a lovely power gamer trick
Guest chapter 4 . 12/3/2015
Goddammit Harry. You'd make a great goblin. Poor McGonagall- definitely more than she bargained for- I can't imagine how Hagrid would have dealt with all this.
Cobalt027 chapter 4 . 11/29/2015
now that is funny, I never would have believed a goblin would have said that to a customer, of all things, to get him to NOT withdraw money to spend.
The Anguished One chapter 4 . 11/18/2015
This version of Harry is both entertaining (nothing against canon Harry, I just love a snarky genius) and dangerous. In a single conversation, he realized how to become the richest wizard without breaking any rules. Really, it's a great example of why more wizards and witches should interact with the Muggle world. I love that the Griphook is impressed with Harry; the kid would do wonderfully working with him.
Crack-jouchan chapter 4 . 11/7/2015
Poor Professor McGonagall! She can't handle an extremely smart Mr. Potter xD /snort

He sure can ramble on about scientific stuff eh?
SIM99 chapter 4 . 10/22/2015
This is a brilliant piece if work that borders on parody. 120-something chapters? Hundreds of thousands of words? You damn near made my LIFETIME, let alone my day.
italeteller chapter 4 . 10/21/2015
And here's the definite divorce between canon and fanfic. I see why it was McGonagall instead of Hagrid, Harry would have had Hagrid spinning around his finger in no time. I'm not entirely sure I like this Harry, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt
ShadowLDrago chapter 4 . 10/13/2015
You're a wizard Harry. Because no Muggle could be this hilariously MAGNIFICENT.
TheLastWill chapter 4 . 9/28/2015
Just started and I am LOVING this Harry! Man, I feel like I'm learning more here than what I learnt in science
Guest chapter 4 . 9/24/2015
I love this Harry!
Good chapter 4 . 9/24/2015
Just plain good.
P. P. P chapter 4 . 9/12/2015
This was very entertaining! And wow, Harry is smart, but a tad too cheeky for his own good! XD
Hiyoshi Ren chapter 4 . 9/9/2015
true true griphook...
Guest chapter 4 . 8/24/2015
I'm enjoying it so far but you do need to remember Harry is 11 years old. Just because e was raised by a professor doesn't mean he's a boy prodigy
Madeline-chan09 chapter 4 . 8/23/2015
This is GENIUS!
Zyxis chapter 4 . 8/9/2015
I have one last thing to say before I sleep. Harry Potter is the Goblin's version of The Doctor. XD
Carly chapter 4 . 8/7/2015
I swear Harry would make the world's most incredible salesman. But damn he's making me feel motivated to learn a whole bunch of random science and economic stuff to expand my knowledge base.
AfterTheEpilogue chapter 4 . 8/2/2015
Jesus Christ he is a manipulative little shit and I LOVE him for it.
8734287934379342879erw87952587 chapter 4 . 7/11/2015
Thrice now, I have skipped the review process in my haste. Forgive me, for I still come back and review anyway. For all of Britain is worth, this epic would far surpass that in my book. Oh, I just completely iadore/i this epic.

- Manny (You can find me on tumblr at asexualtomriddle.)
Guest chapter 4 . 7/11/2015
This is ridiculously funny and brilliant.
hakon2feb chapter 4 . 6/28/2015
Hi.
Ok, so i'll greatly enjoy reading this, i just know it :)
Harry is a 10(11?) year old genious, and i'm having the time of my life reading about him imagining scheems where he earns money without any effort :p
That he also tries to bribe/guilt McGonagall into letting him have more money than he should is also awesome. It's only too bad it's not Hagrid that's with him, because he would have caved for sure :p
Keep up the good work :)

hakon2feb.
S Myron chapter 4 . 5/31/2015
having a moleskin bag does away with the one Hermione took 'camping'.
Harry is talking like a very intelligent adult, but he is only ten. Even a genius with a photographic mind would be hard put to know what he appears to know.
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Will he turn out like Voldemort?
Angelfirenze chapter 4 . 5/26/2015
Seriously, all I can do is snort. Well, that, and type. This Harry has too much empathy to turn dark, so this little manipulation for more books - that was actually smacked down, so never mind, could be excused, I suppose.
PA chapter 4 . 5/16/2015
When I see "That's the spirit!" I think of something completely unrelated. Tbh, I can't follow the math; was never my strong suit. But if Harry says he's rich and can make himself richer, I'll believe him. Moving on. p
Not J.K.Rowling chapter 4 . 5/16/2015
But an enjoyable experience nevertheless. More enjoyable than most fanfiction. Thank you.
xneseyx chapter 4 . 5/7/2015
Oh my god. I'm going to die laughing. I love it already!
haider abbas chapter 4 . 4/23/2015
This is one of the most brilliant and outstanding fan fics i have ever read in four chapters
Guest chapter 4 . 4/22/2015
loved this chapter!
Alphabetta chapter 4 . 4/15/2015
I love this Harry that is not traumatized by Vernon and Petunia treating him like rubbish.
faerieMagic07 chapter 4 . 4/5/2015
Thank you! This story would save me some time since instead of reading boring papers on different subjects on how to navigate the world by thinking rationally, you laid it out on a fun way. ))
fadewind chapter 4 . 3/30/2015
lol...very funny chapter
Arabella Lee Smith chapter 4 . 3/27/2015
Glad to see Minerva is not taken in by his cute-Harry act. Probably one of the reasons he did not attend regular school. (I remember a similar problem when I was in school, a sweet little girl who could do no wrong in her teachers' eyes.)
AKA99 chapter 4 . 3/27/2015
Harry's a little troll in this one. It's really enjoyable.
philippii chapter 4 . 3/23/2015
I just read the first three chapters of the story and I have to say, I really like your 'genius-Harry'. My only problem is, that my native language isn't english and I don't have so much knowledge in science, so I don't understand half of the things he says.
Blackcat8539 chapter 4 . 3/18/2015
THIS IS TOTALLY FREAKING AMAZING. I NOW KNOW WHY EVERYONE KEEPS TELLING ME TO READ IT!
Sushi chapter 4 . 3/15/2015
Why does Harry have to be so money orientated? Also, why is he evil(in a way)
hisnhers chapter 4 . 3/14/2015
Oh dear me. Harry is learning boundaries... Juuuust how far to push McGonagall!

Loved the paragraph where the Goblin is looking at Harry with respect and admiration.

Enjoying this!

-his
4everfictional chapter 4 . 3/12/2015
So... is that a yes? ;)
mab70 chapter 4 . 3/11/2015
Loved the bit with Harry figuring out the wizarding monetary system does not make any sense. Also, his statement about being all about reasonable.
And Harry's final monologue in this chapter was another LOL moment!
Berlin chapter 4 . 3/5/2015
Interesting calculations... Now if only I could get my head wrapped around them.
Calorion chapter 4 . 3/5/2015
"but her eyes intent."

There's something seriously wrong with this clause. First, it lacks a verb. "were intent"? Also, "intent" is not used this way. It's "intent upon him" or similar. This latter error is committed elsewhere as well.

If you're deliberately creating new usage, fine, I guess, but frankly that only works if you've shown a command of the language otherwise, which is not the case. (How fragile is your ego? Do I have to mention how much I love this story in every review that I say something that sounds derogatory, or will you remember my username and praise from previous reviews?)

On the other hand, this: ""For a fee, Mr. Potter-Evans-Verres." The goblin watched him with glittering eyes. "For a certain fee. Where would you find a ton of silver, I wonder?"" is quite nice. I picture him greedily rubbing his hands together.

"Harry's fingers tapped against his trouser-leg. "That makes me feel less guilty about spending a very tiny fraction of it! Don't panic, Professor McGonagall!""

I realize that we are to infer the reasons for his reaction here, but it really doesn't work without the description. On the other hand, doing this *before* the description of Minerva's reaction that he was responding to would work quite well.

A big part of good writing is vivid description. You seem averse to that much of the time, to the story's great detriment.

Also, since Fanfiction won't let me edit my reviews, I have to make this correction to my review of Chapter 1:

Er..."This caused much unneeded confusion for me that some discussion of how amazingly intelligent Harry has been from a very young age or some such, even just internal dialog from Harry noting how much smarter he was than the other children of scientists he had known **would have fixed**." I really shouldn't compose on a tablet.
Guest chapter 4 . 3/4/2015
His personality is amazing. The books are definitely very Ravenclaw, but that manipulation, wow.
mythreader chapter 4 . 3/3/2015
That's Harry's vault, right? Why is she saying that she'll allow him to do anything with his own money.
HelenaHermione chapter 4 . 3/1/2015
Oh my gosh, now this is fascinating. If he was so greedy...wow.
Alexandra June chapter 4 . 3/1/2015
well, what a guy. He got Professor McGonagall to allow him to withdraw all this money...how? Doesn't he feel bad about taking too much of it? Don't you start to worry about your future?
Hammer n' Nail chapter 4 . 2/22/2015
Oh my lord, this is hilarious.
NGPhoenix chapter 4 . 2/17/2015
Hahaha Harry is incredible, poor professor !
vampwalker709 chapter 4 . 2/16/2015
Lmfao he is chapter.
D chapter 4 . 2/12/2015
Chapter 3 had me smile, this chapter had me laughing. I'm really liking this, great work, I'm glad to have found the link on reddit.
Slytherin of the Sea chapter 4 . 2/9/2015
I love this so much! I usually don't review till I get to the last chapter updated but this is just so funny! I am laughing so much... It just there are no words. Excellent story I love it :)
Ailia chapter 4 . 2/3/2015
hahah that's so intelligent and funny!
LauraDragon chapter 4 . 2/1/2015
Oh. My. God. YOU ARE OFFICIALLY MY FAVORITE AUTHOR! INFINITY EXCLAMATION POINTS!
Nico Riddle chapter 4 . 1/19/2015
Brilliant. I think I've fallen in love with you XD
Nico
T4ci3 chapter 4 . 12/26/2014
In the books, being a nice guy was Harry's Thing; being likable and liked by people was how he defeated the Dark Lord. Your Rational Harry from a non-abusive home is an evil asshole plotting to take over the world, so... are you saying that it was only because he was abused that Harry turned out a decent human being? This story would be less disturbing if that wasn't what plenty of people in the Real World thought.
Guest chapter 4 . 12/23/2014
THIS IS HILARIOUS
TheButterflyComposer chapter 4 . 12/23/2014
Some has to do a spin off of this where the Wizarding world gets screwed over by a sociopathic hedge funder who breaks the economy and then starts demolishing all the buildings they now own. Hogwarts would become a cash cow, Diagon Alley a gift from the fiscal heavens as an entire new street echoes available in Central London (not the City, but still) and the Ministry would become a massive underground car park, tube route and toilet station for London commuters and tourists.
Wow, the London economy would probably double overnight and the person who started it all would probably get a peerage!
I know what I'm doing next summer!
IV Legacy of Poseidon chapter 4 . 12/7/2014
NICE.
Agent Frank Underwood chapter 4 . 12/6/2014
Good chapter, but an even better quote.
Col chapter 4 . 12/6/2014
One of the reasons why I have never really gotten into this fic (despite having been initially interested many, many times) is because the characters are incredibly cringe-worthy. Harry doesn't seem smart. He sounds like he's desperately trying to sound smart, like a child who recently got into his dad's How to Improve your IQ books or something. Reactions (leaving the house to laugh, amongst others) are unrealistic and they make me wince. The story is well-written in the sense that it flows nicely and is grammatically correct, but I don't see myself falling in love with the characters at all.
camlaus chapter 4 . 11/30/2014
lol hes so clever and smart and the goblin likes that lol
PlanetOfTheWeepingWillow chapter 4 . 11/19/2014
Absolutely adorable and fun thus far. Cute references, such as Flubber and Batman, hidden here and there. Harry is a wise-cracking goof that seems too smart to his age. Which could be out of character for a ten year old, but who am I to talk when I knew these types of kids personally? Fantastic so far. I can't wait to read the rest. Where has this story been hiding...
N. E. Person chapter 4 . 11/8/2014
If only JK Rowling could have made Harry like this... :D
Guest chapter 4 . 11/8/2014
I laughed for a solid minute at the last paragraph alone. Logic is the bane of wizards.
kimchi759 chapter 4 . 11/3/2014
Hahaha, what a manipulative child. Slightly frightening, but McGonagall is pretty scary herself. Do hope he'll be smart with his gold and respect his ancestry along with its old money.
Serpentine13 chapter 4 . 10/20/2014
Bwahahahaha! Not only a scientist and scholar, but a salesman too! Brilliant!
birningice chapter 4 . 10/19/2014
Omg! Cheeky Harry is awesone!
spoonring chapter 4 . 10/4/2014
oh adorable! hes a little manipulator!
MeiPhantomhive chapter 4 . 9/18/2014
THIS IS THE BEST I'VE READ SO FAR! :'D
Midan no Hatake chapter 4 . 9/2/2014
Do you have any idea how difficult it was to NOT LAUGH when I was reading this? My supervisor was in the office. On second thought, why was I reading fanfiction when I was supposed to be doing transcripts... *flops down and cries*
wokanshutaiduo chapter 4 . 8/30/2014
Haahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaa
Oh my god I'd forgotten this was how they met!
My ribs actually hurt from all this laughing...
And yes OMG I love that this version of Harry can articulate the Fundamental Attribution Error, I think canon Harry understood it on an instinctual level but it's so much better when he puts words to it.
Minnie why are you reacting like this to Harry, this is freaking awesome!

(BTW this is for chapter 5, FFnet won't let me re-review that chapter)
alix33 chapter 4 . 8/26/2014
I did not know nor did I practice "fiscal prudence" (or only to the extent that I knew or realised when I had no more pocket money left) or "impulse control" when I was 10, hehehe.
I like the concept of being bribed with books a lot.
I m in utter awe of Harry's negotiating skills.
humanoidpatronus chapter 4 . 8/22/2014
Even though young children can't normally speak such huge words and all, I like it better this way.
scotty26 chapter 4 . 8/13/2014
LMAO oh this is just priceless..i've been here reading fanfic for 10 years - on and off - and this is the first time i've come across something amazing like this..within the Potter world..apparently the wizardly world wont know what hit them least of all Voldermort *snickering* oh i can just see Sirius face when he eventually meets his godson..this is going to be a fun ride..and for that i thank you and you are worthy of being put on both favorite author and story list
Redery chapter 4 . 8/11/2014
This is pretty brilliant xD really enjoying a genius harry potter. He puts hermione to shame xD
Talkingbirdguy chapter 4 . 8/11/2014
This scene in the vault made me laugh harder than I've laughed in a long time. Very nice chapter
Guest chapter 4 . 8/1/2014
Ahahaha it s so funny! I love Harry even if there are moment I am lost when he talks lol
SakuraKoi chapter 4 . 7/31/2014
Q.Q
thepkrmgc chapter 4 . 7/30/2014
Yay for currency manipulation! gringotts is going to go bankrupt and/or harry is going to be arrested for fraud but harry's going to be rich enough to buy Australia by the time he's done...

harry's book obsession is hilarious, he's a kid genius on par with Ender Wiggin but harry clearly knows what he wants to spend his mountain of cash on...
CeresMaria chapter 4 . 7/28/2014
Harry is hilarious! Thank you.
drarry lover12 chapter 4 . 7/26/2014
To think a 10 year old could rule a world of gods...wow.
SeaDragon chapter 4 . 7/15/2014
Not technically a review, but as a Registered Professional Engineer for nearly 35 years, and a computer geek who started programming in 1966 on an IBM /Sys360 in machine language...
I love this Harry Potter!
Well done, I hope it continues as well as it has been done so far.

Thank you for a very interesting Story.
Guest chapter 4 . 7/11/2014

This was so goddamn funny I cried! Good job so far, I'm avidly reading your other chapters! :)
Foxy-Floof chapter 4 . 7/3/2014
Oh God, OH GOD, MY SIDES... THEY'RE SPLITTING...
*rolls around dying of laughter*
Jooliag00lia chapter 4 . 6/30/2014
I think Harry's need for social interaction as a child is showing - maybe he would have been better off with Dursley telling him to shut up once in a while.
Fire Shadow Dragon chapter 4 . 6/25/2014
I am really enjoying your Harry.
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 4 . 6/14/2014
... I have no clue what harry just said
Tallman7 chapter 4 . 6/13/2014
That ending was hysterical.
Guest chapter 4 . 6/4/2014
Why do I get the feeling Harry's going to be best friends with Hermione? Lol
00 Non C. Anon 00 chapter 4 . 6/3/2014
THAT... I don't have words. Just... THAT.
A chapter 4 . 5/15/2014
Is there a deeper meaning to all of this? I don't recognise the differences
cammiemorris7 chapter 4 . 5/4/2014
Wow this is awesome
SansaFort chapter 4 . 4/30/2014
this story is too smart for me T.T
KD chapter 4 . 4/27/2014
This one is my most favorite chapter so far owing to the fact that I believe it's now that the story's gotten real interesting. You've this gripping way in which you write. Absolutely ingenious! Harry is this shrewd, shrewd child but only just a child ultimately. Such cool stuff!

Might I add, the part where Harry figures out how he's a millionaire and everything that follows will be with me in my head and possibly my metaphoric heart, forever. Cheers!

-KD
Lake House 4 chapter 4 . 4/14/2014
I had a silly thought that never occurred to me while reading the books. How would a trunk or bag with an undetectable extension charm look going through airport security? Completely blank? Or would the wizarding world not count x-ray scanners as detecting and the contents would just go on and on?

I know the argument that comes next: why would anyone from the wizarding world fly in an airplane, but muggle-born children would probably fly (the muggle way) to London if they were coming from a great distance (ie International).
Silverrain chapter 4 . 4/9/2014
Sneaky super smart Harry... Awesome!
Guest chapter 4 . 4/8/2014
Science fiction ftw :) This is great!
Janet chapter 4 . 3/27/2014
I'm reading this through Eating the Elephant ( ) and I'm really enjoying it. I loved how he tried to get McGonagall to let him take more money by trying to get her to "remember her childhood." I'm with McGonagell... what he said would have just made me more grumpy.
Sensei200 chapter 4 . 3/26/2014
McGonagall was the must in depth character to me. You sure are good at perceiving the human mind. It is by far to complicated for me to delve into.
GeekyGreakFreak chapter 4 . 3/18/2014
I'm only on chapter four and I'm only ten! I don't understand half of this! But I still love it so far. :)
sachi1325 chapter 4 . 3/8/2014
I think wow is the word I am looking for. Came across a reference to your story on science-harry potter answer thingy on quora. Amazed by the writing. It has been too long since I have read such a good fan fiction. I really,really hope though that you don't abandon this story like the zillion others on this website.
Thanks again for the story, even if you abandon it in the future :)
Guest chapter 4 . 2/27/2014
This is possibly the best fanfiction I've ever read. Simply brilliant.
Crzymnky666 chapter 4 . 2/24/2014
Dear lord, two chapters in and I cannot stop laughing. I love this rational intelligent Harry, this is awesome. 99 more chapters like this? Oh dear Thor I can't wait!
Harlequin de Rustre chapter 4 . 2/22/2014
The banter is really something else. Although it's not as shameless as some of the conversations I've penned, the one in this chapter has a cadence and a flow that are both very natural.
IXAthenaeum chapter 4 . 2/7/2014
Omg, never thought of the wizarding currency that way. Smart-Harry is smart O.O And apparently going to be very very rich.. xD

And lol, bribery with books is a family tradition :D..
Vampires2rocks chapter 4 . 2/5/2014
...Harry reminds me of a friend of mine with how he convinces people into what he wants - confuse them with logic to the point that they don't even know what they're agreeing to anymore at the end.

Vamp
Grizzmon chapter 4 . 1/12/2014
Of course, like almost every child, he made the mistake of not knowing when to stop.
Makokam chapter 4 . 1/4/2014
Oh, well, the open quote isn't ominous /at all/. Even more so because it sounds like something Harry would say.

Also...did you at any point make a cliam that this is Harry's first time through these bevents? Because it sounds like it isn't.

Either that or you're having way too much fun with the horcrux in his head.

Makokam out.
CMVreud chapter 4 . 12/28/2013
How right she is. Was, And will be.
...
Sometimes I hate time, but then again it's mostly the consistence of a dogturd.
AngelWitch chapter 4 . 12/16/2013
Brilliant!
Difinity1 chapter 4 . 12/9/2013
I just want to say that while i don't get a damn thing that's going on, this probably the best HP fanfic I have ever read. Ever.
Naja chapter 4 . 12/6/2013
I have nothing else to say except that I love this fic so much so far. Oh my God this is fantastic how do people come up with these things. It is funny and I am laughing and I do not know if the original books even managed to do that to me! This may be the best fanfic I have read and I have to go to bed soon but I do not want to stop reading! Dilemmas, dilemmas...
SteveC chapter 4 . 11/17/2013
Annnnddddd Away we go!
patronus chapter 4 . 11/16/2013
OMG this shit is GOOOOOLD!
I love it. Financial theory, witty banter, and harry potter? THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER. I can't believe I haven't read this fic sooner. You, Less Wrong, are AMAZING.

I've always been bothered with the plot holes in the magical world, and I'm ecstatic someone is addressing them in a smartly written fanfic. It'll be super interesting to see what the changes in the timeline/events of the original cannon will occur due to Harry being all smart and shit. Like, he'd totally give Hermione a run for her money in the teacher's pet/genius department! Or I could totally see you turning switching the the two character's personalities-maybe Hermione will be a total jock and seeker on the quidditch team? LOL that'd be jokes. Finals are coming, but I will defs tear through this fanfic ASAP. It's 3AM in the morning and I've never felt so awake.

YOU ROCK DON'T EVER CHANGE.

xo
unobtrusivescribe chapter 4 . 11/13/2013
Hahaha that scene is fantastic! I can see Harry practically bouncing up and down with excitement at these realizations. It was great to see his reasonable mind at the beginning, trying to get a grip on this new world he's been introduced to. I would totally go for one of those trunks for all my books- hopefully do a charm that wouldn't make it as heavy! This Harry is very talkative and animated, he acts like a legit 11 year old:)
567zoock67 chapter 4 . 11/2/2013
Wow, this chapter was good. I laughed so hard at Harry's antics, and the idea of arbitraging, which was also explored in another Harry Potter fanfiction, was so insightful. It's funny to think that all this time, I'd never noticed the obvious illogic of that until having it pointed out for me in a fanfiction XD

Interesting fact: J.K Rowling said herself she wasn't too good at maths, which might explain why she didn't calculate the now-obvious plothole in her universe.
willam and jack and jake chapter 4 . 10/22/2013
funny
Sun-Tsu Toriden chapter 4 . 10/20/2013
I wasn't previously aware that JK Rowling was one of the Great Old Ones of which Lovecraft warned and wrote of.

But now that you have revealed it thusly, I find myself unable to think of her any other way. I mean of course she created Harry Potter, so our brains would be weakened when she finally reveals her true horrible, tentacular visage, we will be willing victim for her to devour rather than bothering her by fighting or fleeing.
Neloska chapter 4 . 10/14/2013
Oh God, I love this story so far. Have already laughed a few times. Your Harry is amazing. Please let him own the wizarding world xD. And the way he is manipulating McGonagall at the end is too cute. x.x
Your story is one where I have to keep my dictionary close by. Because you use so many seldom used words. My first thought, when I realized Harry always talked like that, was that if he goes to school he is probably being bullied or at least an outsider...
Didn't really get that: On one hand he talks like THAT and his thoughts seem quite intelligent, but on the other he needed tutors and whatnot? Maybe it becaomes clearer in later chapters...
Let's see what the rest of Hogwarts makes of him.
Iryerris chapter 4 . 10/6/2013
Oh dear, has Harry become a frivolous spender?

OF course not! All in the name of SCIENCE!
2 lazy kay chapter 4 . 9/15/2013
I can't believe I went this long without reading this. I've been cracking up since the 2nd chapter, although I know some of the things will fly right over my head, I have no doubt I'll still be cracking up... Looking forward to reading more
Awesome Guest P chapter 4 . 8/19/2013
The sad thing is, that I understand every single scientific term. I'm such a book nerd. Oh well! World Optimazation for me!
cross-over-lover232 chapter 4 . 8/14/2013
haha the bad thing is, that every thing harry said is true AND sensible.

at least he's not following the prankster path...so far...
DaftDruid chapter 4 . 8/5/2013
OMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD! AHAHAHAH, THIS HARRY IS TOTALLY MY FAVORITE!
CodyElvis chapter 4 . 8/1/2013
My own little Fermi calculation.. Considering the amount of time you've spent on writing this, and trying to answer the question: How much of the entire story was written out at the moment you posted the first chapter? This includes anything that was written at that point that made it into the writing eventually.

You've written about 540k words here. A very fair (albeit somewhat high) average typing speed for this, and one that is conducive to making a Fermi calculation, is 100 WPM. Then it's taken you about 5400 hours to just type the entirety of the text. It's been about 41 months since you posted the first chapter. At 24x30 720 hours per month, that's just over 29k hours that have elapsed since the first chapter was posted. Assuming you sleep 8 hours a night, that leaves you about 19k waking hours since posting the first chapter. 5400/19k is about a third of your waking time spent purely on typing the fic, if it had not been typed up before the first chapter was posted.

I observe that you offered to tell someone the entire plot of the story if they could guess what the Sorting Hat was referring to somewhere around chapter 13. I'll assume that at that point you already knew where it was going. I then observe that you didn't have chapters 97/98 written at the end of 96, so I'll also assume that you didn't have the entire story written before posting.

I highly doubt that you've spent five hours a day just typing the story, as something written this well must have gone through multiple revisions. I also know that you indeed have a life of your own - not in academia, but researching machine intelligence and participating in math camps, presumably teaching. Knowing what I know about you so far, let's see if I can put together a rough sketch of the 16 waking hours of your day. On average, eating/drinking/their counterparts: 2 hours. Working: 7 hours (considering weekends where you might not work, but this doesn't seem too likely. taking 7 since it's between 6 and 8 [the average?]). Physical activity that does not involve typing (commuting anywhere, including driving, walking, etc): 1 hour. This leaves 6 hours to do other things. Random web browsing and reading anything on the computer (this sort of time flies by..): 3 hours? So this leaves me with about 3 hours at most you could have spent towards this writing per day in the last 41 months, roughly. Let's put 1.5 hours into all steps of the revision process and 1.5 hours into all steps of the creation process (assuming that you knew the rough idea of the entire plot before hand, and most of the details).

Using our previous estimate of 100 WPM as your typing speed while writing the story (very reasonable as there's quotation marks and italicized things all over the place), also giving you 45 minutes of those 90 allotted to the creation process to type, we see that you can produce 4,500 words per day at most. Let's further say that you have done this every day for the last 41 months (30*41 1230 days), which gives us about 5 million words written in the last three years.

I notice that I am confused.
Netchka chapter 4 . 7/31/2013
God, I love this Harry. He cracks me up! :-) :-) :-)
Librarian73 chapter 4 . 7/24/2013
So funny.
FenixxS chapter 4 . 7/24/2013
Jesus, this kid's a genius when it comes to getting what he wants (Actually, I'm pretty sure he's a genius all together). I was laughing my ass off the entire time. Very well done.
sannipan chapter 4 . 7/17/2013
The greatly respected Madam Professor Minerva McGonagall outsmarted by an 11 year old. That must hurt!
Guest chapter 4 . 7/10/2013
"Five pounds sterling to the Galleon doesn't square with seven Galleons for a wand and children using hand-me-down wands."

Why not? That makes a wand 35 pounds. For a low-single-income family with 7 children (I assume you are referring to the Weasleys and Ron using a hand-me-down wand), 35 pounds is a lot of money to spend on your 6th child going to Hogwarts. I certainly wore hand-me-down clothes worth less than that as a child.

However, I do doubt the coins could really be made of their solid metals respectively and maintain those values.
DizzyZina chapter 4 . 7/8/2013
This story is the best!
To the TARDIS chapter 4 . 7/6/2013
:')

(Not crying because of this, I just finished watching Doctor Who End of Time, Thanks for cheering me up though.)
SirMandokarla chapter 4 . 7/6/2013
I... I... what have you done!? I feel like I'm reading about a fusion of Hermione's Lawful Good and Artemis Fowl's analytic and manipulative mind, as well as the sum of their thirst for knowledge, plunked into the situation of the Boy Who Lived... and it's AWESOME. :D
Anon chapter 4 . 7/2/2013
This is awesome and hilarious and I love it.
Cemalidor chapter 4 . 7/1/2013
Regarding a Hedgie owning the wizardly Britain in a week... Well, fair to be fair he would be prolly fed to mentioned dragon(s) if he does things our Hedgies did. :)
Alissie chapter 4 . 6/30/2013
Oh my gosh.
I LOVE IT.
THANK YOU.
I always, always, ALWAYS struggle with what the wizarding money is worth when trying to write. I never know what's a reasonable amount for the characters to pay for...well...anything! You make so many valuable points about the system, too. I'm going to be thrilled if you continue to detail how much each item costs and how it's converted. It makes so much more sense now.
DarylSurvives73 chapter 4 . 6/13/2013
I absolutely ADORE your story! It's sooooo hilarious!
Dafydd chapter 4 . 6/8/2013
I like Harry's way of thinking and getting McGonagall to give on anything is just amazing! :)
Lord Geovanni chapter 4 . 6/2/2013
Just saying, I just started reading this story about 20 minutes ago and every time I stop to laugh I end up laughing so hard that I GET A SHARP PAIN IN MY CHEST FROM THE LACK OF AIR. ._.;
DHouck chapter 4 . 6/1/2013
I liked this chapter when I first read it (it was the first time I heard the word "arbitrage", but I had thought about the concept before). Now I've reread all that has yet been released, and and some of the events in this chapter seem much more interesting. I especially like the line (rot13ed for spoilers) "Zrnajuvyr, gur tvnag urncf bs tbyq pbvaf jvguva gur Cbggre inhyg bhtug gb fhvg uvf arne-grez erdhverzragf." orpnhfr vg'f shaal ba gur svefg ernq-guebhtu, naq vs lbh ernq vg yngre lbh ernyvmr gung Uneel vf pbzcyrgryl frevbhf va guvf gubhtug.
Guest chapter 4 . 5/14/2013
I know that I would put this in to the list of my favourite stories after four chapters. Sweet
epsilon-sagittarii chapter 4 . 5/6/2013
I...seriously. You are a genius :D
Also no matter how intelligent and a child prodigy Harry is, he seems to kind of become a bit of a diva here xD
Fave Quote: "I would be doing a great service to wizarding Britain, Mr. Potter, if I locked you in this vault and left you here".
Ross chapter 4 . 5/1/2013
I love you.

In the best way possible. Good god man thank you I'm sending this to all my friends.
Shadow Bane chapter 4 . 4/27/2013
whoah, I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING, I think I like the humble Harry better then yours. I regret to say but J.K's is far better then yours in my opinion, at least so far.
apeljohn chapter 4 . 4/27/2013
This is the story that got me into fanfiction. I am re-reading it for the sixth or seventh time, and I still crack up every time I hit "outright admiration". Awesome story - roll on the next installment!
psychicshipping chapter 4 . 4/24/2013
I *REALLY* like this Potter. And go McGonagall for putting her foot down!
RussianDestruction chapter 4 . 4/18/2013
Harry is so good at conniving for the best causes. I love this so much! And Griphook's reaction...priceless!
sww11685 chapter 4 . 4/15/2013
Loved this chapter. Had a good laugh at Harry's attempts to get McGonnagal to let him take more money out.
SimStars chapter 4 . 4/14/2013
I really love this kid. His first thoughts upon seeing the majesties of the wizarding world centre on Books.
87 chapters here I come...
lastcrazyhorn chapter 4 . 4/3/2013
Griphook was favouring Harry with a gaze of frank respect, possibly even outright admiration.

Whee!
Hannah chapter 4 . 4/2/2013
I had to look up arbitrage, I'm a little embarrassed to admit. It seems obvious to point it out, but I wonder what Professor McGonagall prevented herself from saying when she mentioned Voldemort's "kin-"
yoloswagmaster chapter 4 . 2/28/2013
Harry is soo cute xDD
Archet chapter 4 . 2/15/2013
Hold on...I'm doing a Fermi calculation...

...

And I've concluded that if Harry Potter really was like this, the world would be in a LOT of trouble. Ummm...that's good, I think :)
Lianne chapter 4 . 2/14/2013
so interesting that I resent this time between chapters taken to comment on it. I would rather not post a review than post one without substantive merit
Skaz Wolfman chapter 4 . 2/12/2013
To be admired by a goblin. Badass.
Also, McGonagall is SCARY
Janie Elizabeth chapter 4 . 2/6/2013
Hello! I would like to say first that I'm very interested in your story. Usually I'm not a fan of parallel universe fictions, but this is intriguing and I like your writing style, so I think I'll continue with it. Anyway, I really appreciate this chapter (I like it most out of the four that I've read, though I can't say that means much). I like it for this reason only: You point out the extreme flaw in J.K. Rowling's books with regard to wizard-muggle currency rates! Honestly, if I were a wizard, I would have milked the system AGES ago. It says in one of the books that Hermione's parents exchanged pounds for galleons at Gringotts to buy her books. I highly doubt that the gold in the wizard world is worth nearly as much in the wizarding world as it is outside it, or Granger's parents wouldn't be able to afford a thing, and the Weasleys would be living in at least a little bit of splendor. My thinking is that one could simply exchange muggle money for gold, find some black market chap to melt it down and make it look like a gold bar (or do it yourself), and then sell that on the market for many more pounds than those originally exchanged. Do that once a month, and one is, pardon the pun, GOLDEN. Anyway, very interesting that someone else noticed this flaw. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who notices these things and becomes at least a little vexed by them. It wouldn't bother me if HP weren't one of my favorite book series, but as it is, I hate to see flaws in it, even though they are rather amusing and would make me rich if I were a witch. Perhaps that's how all the old pureblood families ACTUALLY got their money. Something to consider. Anyway, keep up the wonderful work, and I hope to continue reading from you!
tiggerbone chapter 4 . 2/3/2013
Hah! I always wondered about the money problems. You even put in a few that I had never considered! Harry is a very bright young man! I continue to be impressed. Bravo!
Guest chapter 4 . 2/3/2013
Fermi calculation is just plain old approximation calculation :/
Enei Emmu chapter 4 . 2/2/2013
It would be like the super beltpack of ultimate awesomeness! Batman's utility belt of holding! Never mind my swiss army knife, I could carry a whole tool set in there!
Guest chapter 4 . 1/25/2013
That comment at the top is so true. The interaction between McGonagall and Harry is amazing.
petalene chapter 4 . 1/25/2013
This is delightful. I love super smart, very logical Harry. And seeing him manipulate McGonagall? Priceless.
malkh chapter 4 . 1/19/2013
Recovering English teacher here; love the snarky reviews that criticize your word choice in alliterative lines. But. . .the people who say this doesn't sound like an eleven year old clearly don't remember - or they fell more into the parameters of 'normal' than a child prodigy would have. Your Harry has lived isolated from other children with a professor father, with scores of Oxford undergraduate tutors and lots of books, probably reading young and much above any possible normal level . . .for which reason, btw, your Harry would need glasses by the time he was five, and that is missing here! Love the science, the which I barely can follow. . . .I keep having to look 'stuff' up - gotta love the internet. . . .thank you for a great deal of pleasure. I hope I live long enuf to follow you through all seven books. . . .
Beautiful-Tyrant77 chapter 4 . 1/16/2013
Oh I cannot wait for this Harry and Hermione to meet. I am really looking forward to their conversations. This Harry is much more cheeky then J.K Rowling's Harry, although he is cheeky in a smart alec way. I quite like that.
ardeth hines chapter 4 . 1/16/2013
Hm. Since I'd never heard of arbitrage either, and have a non-mathematical brain this chapter rather went over my head. But your Harry is as manipulative as many a 'gifted and talented' child I've had in class, esp the ones whose parents - genetic or adoptive! - are not on the same level. You are verging on realism here. . . .
Writing bunny chapter 4 . 1/6/2013
I just love your Harry. Poor, poor McGonnagal.
Lyzzybelle chapter 4 . 1/5/2013
Your Harry is completely delightful, I should not be drinking milk and reading your fic around my laptop...sticky keys are such a bother!
Guest chapter 4 . 1/4/2013
I just noticed... There are 87 chapters! Where do you find time to write all that?
Biabara chapter 4 . 1/3/2013
If Harry was a goblin, Griphook would hire him straight away. And Harry lost his last battle against Minnie rather epically, didn't he? :'D found it a bit odd though that he would talk about him 'defeating the most terrible wizard Britain has ever known' so easily. Shouldn't that be a touchier subject if he's so cautious about saying his name?
BiblioMatsuri chapter 4 . 1/3/2013
Watch that silver tongue, kiddo. It's only cute the first time. (Seriously, what eleven-year-old talks like that?)
A Drop of Starlight chapter 4 . 1/1/2013
I love your disclaimer LOL
Ermahgod. Harry is so epic funny
TLD110166 chapter 4 . 1/1/2013
Somehow, I almost feel sorry for Hoggies...They won't know what hit them, when Harry gets to school...::evil laugh::
barabg chapter 4 . 12/27/2012
I laughed out load while reading this, I love the way you leave loads to the imagination eg the dialogues, too many authors have the need to write everything on your nose but you seem to realise that the humour and enjoyment in reading is in the mind of the reader, not in the text itself. Fantastic chapter, looking forward to the rest of them!
gleeluver101 chapter 4 . 12/25/2012
I laughed through this whole chapter
Lightningblade49 chapter 4 . 12/23/2012
Why is Harry bribing Mcgonagall let alone pleading to spend his own Money?, if he goes broke it's his own fault but it really none of her business what harry does with his Money even if she's conserned about Harry's spendng she has no say.
Susan M. M chapter 4 . 12/19/2012
"It's for the sake of children's reading, the best of all possible causes." What teacher or parent could resist that argument? Nicely done with Harry's economic/financial analysis. vbg.
Schizoid13 chapter 4 . 12/18/2012
hahahaha!
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 4 . 12/17/2012
You mentioned bigger on the inside objects and didn't have harry mention Doctor Who? Really?
StrangeoneXD chapter 4 . 12/16/2012
Potter's exchange with Professor McGonagall is very amusing, I can almost imagine him doing puppy dog eyes and her going, all right for books
PigfartsAlumni chapter 4 . 12/15/2012
To be honest, this Harry reminds me of a young Artemis Fowl. It cracks me up!
12Lionzroar12 chapter 4 . 12/14/2012
I stumbled upon this by complete and utter accident. I was in fact looking for something else, not even in the world of Harry Potter, but, just finishing a fic I, holding the author in high esteem, clicked on their name; to look for more stories. Finding they had none i wished to continue reading, i found that they had a surprisingly small number of Favorited stories. Thinking these stores must be nothing sort of brilliant i perused my curiosity. I have to admit, i had absolutely no idea just how many review a story could honestly, it blew me away. I read the number, once, then twice, then, i just stared at it. Seriously! 19,020. The highest I've ever seen before was around 2000, and That, was an awful lot! This number, just, mind boggling. So, i, refusing to let my dented pride get in the way, clicked on it. And so now i find myself here, like the thousands, thousands! Before me, leaving a review, on the second chapter. This story is brilliant! I am only a teenager, so know not much of the theories you speak of, but now perhaps i will. This story holds promise, and i am glad to have found it, even if it is not the glee fic i was looking for ;)
Mr Norrell chapter 4 . 12/13/2012
My brain is melting, and I actually understand what he's talking about. What I can't figure out though is why he goes from coldly analytic to a smarmy manipulative douche in the blink of an eye.
Crazed King chapter 4 . 12/12/2012
My head is spinning...
I dunno what he's saying anymore.
Dan Riddle chapter 4 . 12/12/2012
Your Harry Potter is even better than Artemis Fowl! I am very looking forward what his ultimate plan will be in the end after having adjusted to the magic world!
Diavo chapter 4 . 11/11/2012
i still love this story. me and harry are going to do a bit of world optimisation.
MissNikita chapter 4 . 11/10/2012
Wahahahaha by the end of this story my jaws will be aching from laughter, I love smart ass Harry and he is so right about the monetary system, wondered about that quite a few times myself.
Guest chapter 4 . 11/4/2012
Awesome! Even if I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding the professional terms used, (I moved to Asia when i was...What? Eight? and i'm thirteen right now) but it is absolutely hilarious! Keep it up, for sake of all fans and readers of harry potter! This story is absolutely worth the reviews!
W.Kathy chapter 4 . 10/31/2012
I'm sorry, but WTF? Why does McGonagall have any say in how much Harry is allowed to withdraw from his vaults? She is not his guardian, and not yet his professor even, so what right does she have to restrict his spending? Sure, she can ADVICE him not to spend more than what SHE thinks is necessary, but I don't think Harry should have to bargain with her even though you made the bargaining sound interesting.

That aside, I do love how you portrayed the newly-improved Petunia and his husband, plus the family's interactions with Harry. Hopefully they will remain supportive of Harry in his learning of magic.
Muirgen Monet chapter 4 . 10/25/2012
Awesome chapter! I love this Logical Harry.
hatchling07 chapter 4 . 10/18/2012
This story is hilarious! I am loving it so far
geekzgalore chapter 4 . 10/7/2012
This chapter was super awesome:) i can't stop smiling, especially after imagining the last section (Griphook with palm on his face)
LordXeenTheGreat chapter 4 . 10/1/2012
Go harry
Tofs chapter 4 . 9/29/2012
lol So cute.
Zephyr chapter 4 . 9/25/2012

I love not-so-manipulative bastard Harry.
Zephyr chapter 4 . 9/25/2012

I love original Harry. He became more awesome but less funny as time went on.
Light Under My Skin chapter 4 . 9/23/2012
You make my head hurt. And as absurd as it is, I love the idea of a ten year old knowing all of this :)
The Potters of the Future chapter 4 . 9/20/2012
Slytherin or Ravenclaw
Guest chapter 4 . 9/6/2012
The personalities of McGonagall and Harry are getting a little inconsistant. And was it McGonagall or Harry that won the argument? But still, Artemis Fowl awesome.
JoannaKent chapter 4 . 9/5/2012
Poor Professor. I can't wait for Harry to meet Hermione now just for his sheer joy of books. I'm hoping for an argument of who has read History of Magic more times.
SapphiK chapter 4 . 9/4/2012
ROFLMFAO
LoonyLunaAKAme chapter 4 . 8/24/2012
god i hate smart!harry. more like smart-ass-too-logical-for-his-own-good-power-twisting!harry.
tigi1 chapter 4 . 8/9/2012
This is like reading "Sheldon Cooper goes to Hogwarts".

I like it.
voodooqueen126 chapter 4 . 8/1/2012
Oh... the sheer dysfunction of the wizarding economic system. I had never noticed that before.
Nikokami chapter 4 . 7/31/2012
He's bloody brilliant! I could have taken a leaf or two from his book when I was 11! W
Panruru chapter 4 . 7/29/2012
Hahaha, oh dear, Harry's going to be very dangerous when he's older, isn't he?
Poetheather1 chapter 4 . 7/28/2012
snerk...

Very cute. Harry is such a dork... very adorkable.
Assymetric chapter 4 . 7/27/2012
Still, that's the last time I ever mow a lawn for one lousy pound.

Attaboy, Potter-Evans-Verres!
Guest chapter 4 . 7/26/2012
I like McGonagall but what right does shs have, telling Harry how much money he can spend. Frankly I don't think she even has a right being in his vault!
AnimationNut chapter 4 . 7/25/2012
I wish people would bribe me with books...
McGonagall's last line is such a win xD
Serafin982 chapter 4 . 7/24/2012
LOL... This must be what you would get if you cross HP and Big Bang Theory. I love it.
Satirica chapter 4 . 7/16/2012
I see now that Harry's methodical mind could also be a generous addition to business. He'll probably be extremely wealthy in the future.
Cortana49 chapter 4 . 7/14/2012
I like the way you approach the wizarding world as like an author of hard SF. Harry interrogating a goblin on the wizarding economy is quite amusing. Harry's plea at the end is pretty cute too.
Mavarax chapter 4 . 7/3/2012
I LOVE the anti-climactic ending.
Percabeth Jackson chapter 4 . 6/28/2012
This story is just too good! I am loving every word in it! Keep up the good work!

Percabeth Jackson :D
Jaol chapter 4 . 6/19/2012
I love seeing Harry acting more like a kid! Hilarious!
Kendra chapter 4 . 6/7/2012
Not sure you needed to go into the math behind Harry's get-rich-quick scheme and his Fermi calculation. It would probably make him look just as smart to most readers if you explained his basic thought process but not the numbers involved, seeing as I'll bet most readers went "blah blah blah nerdy stuff I don't quite get" and skimmed the lot.

This isn't math outreach, it's rationality outreach, and you don't want them in skim mode when they get to the knowledge you actually want to impart.
benthor chapter 4 . 6/3/2012
Nice introduction to the concept of arbitrage.

"a quick Fermi estimate [regarding exploration of the amazing new world of being rich] said was roughly a billion times less interesting." is a pretty classic way of delivering a punchline but still gold :)

Harry gets rather insolent with McG near the end, I'm not quite sure how much in character that is for him. Unless he wasn't considering very well, which you could of course argue in light of these circumstances.
Harper E chapter 4 . 6/1/2012
hahaha omg you've managed to create a Harry who is even more obnoxious than the original one. well done!
Stormygio chapter 4 . 5/29/2012
I WANT THAT TRUNK NOW.

Whoa, that takes skill, to manage to get the Prof. to give in...another amusing family tradition. xD

Eeep. o-o DON'T LOCK THE MEIN CHARACTER IN THE VOLT!
Mr H. Potter chapter 4 . 5/26/2012
"Harry squeaked and stepped back, knocking over a whole pile of gold coins with a great jingling noise and sprawling backward into a heap of money. Griphook sighed and put a palm over his face."

Harry is SO inconsiderate, causing more work fro the Goblins of Gringotts.

I have to say I do love (Understanding of Economics)!Harry
HerGoldenHair chapter 4 . 5/23/2012
Harry trying to get around McGonagall is the funniest thing ever! I laughed so hard! xD
jtz chapter 4 . 5/21/2012
this chapter was incredibly funny. love it.
Tenino chapter 4 . 5/10/2012
I'm finding a lot of this very difficult to understand...I am not scientifically or mathematically minded! And a lot of big words strung together in one very long sentence make my head hurt. Still, it seems to be a very interesting read so far...I wonder how long I'll be able to hold on for?

Also: I'm going to assume that whoever wrote this is either some kind of Super-Genius, or is simply incredibly smart with a massive vocabulary. Seriously, it's doing my head in.
Marcus Absent chapter 4 . 4/28/2012
Since there's just too much to adequately comment on, I'm mainly just going to use these reviews as bookmarks to keep my place in this long thing.

My initial thoughts is that this Harry is going to prove to either be a great asset to the wizarding world...or a great annoyance.
kat chapter 4 . 4/27/2012
nobody had explained to harry yet, what be Muggles..
cherapin chapter 4 . 4/22/2012
Even though Harry is immature emotionally, he can still think with startling alacrity and move "accidentally" as well as another fictional British character, Sherlock Holmes, created by Arthur Conan Doyle. Messrs Potter and Holmes share other traits beside mental facility and physical agility: namely, sneakiness, uncanny powers of observation and the ability to prepare for critical future events that escape most mere mortals because the author knows what's coming up. Let's not forget that both characters are willing to manipulate people and events without compuction to achieve their individual ends, which always justify their means. Note to literary interviewers: ask JK Rowling how heavily Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes influenced her Harry Potter.
I Read For the Content chapter 4 . 4/16/2012

Lol, I can see EXACTLY where she's coming from with this!
rebekka malten chapter 4 . 4/13/2012
"I'll never have to waste another minute of my life! What do you say, Professor McGonagall? It's in the best of all possible causes."

great. truly great. I learn a lot here, just as i read and look things up in wiki...
Ilanacia chapter 4 . 4/11/2012
Oh good god this was absolutely amazing. I will love you forever for writing this chapter. I think I might've spit out my coffee had I been drinking it while reading.
Bdelium chapter 4 . 4/10/2012
Hmmm...I love how Harry behaves..but he talks too much for his own good! That might get him into trouble..

All that talk about converting Wizarding currency. Now that you mentioned it...it WOULD be interesting. But I do hope he never attempts to do so...The results might end up very badly.

Last but not least...How do you think up this stuff?;-)
Hidden Lines chapter 4 . 4/7/2012
I laughed. A lot. Griphook did a facepalm? Priceless.

And I've always wondered what the issue was with the value of a Galleon. I noticed Rowling never actually specified its worth, which was odd. You would think she had an answer to that in her head. I mean, as a member of the Pokemon fandom, I have my own money converstion rules. Maybe Rowling didn't think money should be a concern in her books.

Seems weird that a ten year old boy would be able to do all that math stuff in his head though. I'm 18 and pretty good with math, and I had to try to keep up. I know your Harry is something of a genius, but still. Seems a bit...over the top.

Those conversion calculations are hilarious though. That's one thing I never liked the Harry Potter universe, is that its very...illogical. You would think someone would have noticed these loopholes. And taken advantage of it.
Laetitia2712 chapter 4 . 3/30/2012
Harry was amazing, poor McGonagall
Hello chapter 4 . 3/29/2012
I always really liked the Harry-McGonagall relationship!
HeartsGlow chapter 4 . 3/26/2012
Laughing hysterically here!
Mr H. Potter chapter 4 . 3/25/2012
""You," McGonagall growled. There was a look on her face so fearsome and terrible that Harry squeaked and stepped back, knocking over a whole pile of gold coins with a great jingling noise and sprawling backward into a heap of money. Griphook sighed and put a palm over his face. "I would be doing a great service to wizarding Britain, Mr. Potter, if I locked you in this vault and left you here."

And they left without any more trouble."

While hilarious, that is still an incredibly anti-climactic ending
Mr H. Potter chapter 4 . 3/25/2012

Lol, I love Rational!Harry
ASTRONOMlC chapter 4 . 3/24/2012
Oh my goodness, I was laughing so hard... and this is only chapter 4! Harry is so ridiculously smart, if he doesn't get Sorted into Ravenclaw... well... it won't be good :( I'm not actually sure if this story is intentionally funny, but I like it a lot anyway :D Amazing job, can't stop laughing!

~Grey~
Kitti chapter 4 . 3/19/2012
Greedy, too? Wow, you've really changed the fabric of who Harry Potter is! I suppose, however, that leniency is in order. After all, you changed his uprbringing too! Let's see where this goes, shall we? For now, all I see is a spoiled brat with a smart tongue and its not exactly promising. The writing and knowledge, however? Superb. Good on ya, mate. Reading on!
Pave chapter 4 . 3/16/2012
I can't help thinking that

"where you had to go in and take out coins out of your vault"

ought to be

"where you had to go in and take coins out of your vault"
SqrlLrd chapter 4 . 3/11/2012
he would just find a way out, the lock mechanism is on the inside of the door after all. And boy would the Goblins be mad.
earlyable chapter 4 . 3/8/2012
*slumps over keyboard laughing* I can't stop laughing, it's amazing!
scorpioneldar chapter 4 . 2/29/2012
he dosn't know when to quit does he... i love it

"Yes, I definitely need one of those too. It's like the super beltpack of ultimate awesomeness! Batman's utility belt of holding! Never mind a swiss army knife, you could just carry a whole tool set in there! Or other magic items! Or books! I could have the top three books I was reading on me at all times, and just pull one out anywhere! I'll never have to waste another minute of my life! What do you say, Professor McGonagall? It's in the best of all possible causes."

a bag of holding! im jelous
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 4 . 2/18/2012
Okay, most of the gold-to-silver ratio stuff went right over my head (probably not the last time something in this story will do that), but this was still a really fun chapter. I'm liking your portrayal of Harry more and more. I can't wait to see what he does next.
The Blind One chapter 4 . 2/15/2012
Okay, this is where a reader starts to get a fairly good idea what this Harry's approach to magic is going to be like. And in light of what he does later, I quite believe he could manage to buy out the entire wizarding world. Too bad he never gets that week free.

His innocent act near the very end cracks me up! And also makes me vaguely sad that he never got to be that genuinely innocent, even though *rationally* I know he's probably better off this way.

"Griphook sighed and put a palm over his face." This is a really neat detail, and makes for a great mental image.

"And they left without any more trouble." Yeaaah, right.
Mimzy chapter 4 . 2/5/2012
OMG! this story is awesome, and i love it!
Fred chapter 4 . 1/30/2012
Harry's last comment is way far fetched, imho.
MarabouChocolate chapter 4 . 1/24/2012
I did not think Harry would be so good at out smarting McGonagall, it was hilarious XD

Keep up the good work
eastern rosebud chapter 4 . 1/21/2012
It's a single, relatively brief chapter, and yet it manages to explore an idea which could be sufficent basis for an entire fic. That's going to happen a few times more, and that's actually one of the best features of MoR.
TheallknowingandUnseen chapter 4 . 1/6/2012
Omg, where did you get the idea for this? It's great!
Auseptcyne chapter 4 . 12/25/2011
As per normal this was a wonderful chapter, especially when Harry starts digging into Prof McGonagall about his spending money, a pure brilliant piece there. The end is the part that really tickles my sense of humor however. We don't read very much about a Goblin face palming. It's just something that we don't see very often in FF.

And we finally begin to see the side of Slytherin!Harry. Albeit lighter then I suspect is normal.

And finally we get a hint at the trunk, something that is always a source of great amusement to me.

~Lyser
Susi MatthewsRowanGolightly chapter 4 . 12/23/2011
Led (astray) this way via Tom Smith's LJ. I've thoroughly enjoyed this FanFic so far but this chapter in particular made me smile and then chuckle and come review it.

EXCELLENT writing, very interesting and plausible character development based one the premise. Giving Harry a different upbringing causes him to be a little less naive than in the original books but in delightfully mischievous way. I think Harry in the original books could have used a bit more of these qualities.

I've not read too many FanFic; this is a good way to begin.
iggychan89 chapter 4 . 12/17/2011
Rule number 1 when reading this fic: Never read it when you are tired.

Rule number 2: Swallow a dictionary and encyclopedia like Less Wrong did before they wrote it.

Rule number 3: Laugh your ass off even if you don't understand a word Harry is saying.

XXDD
Poetryfreak173 chapter 4 . 12/11/2011
HOW have I never noticed this before? It makes no sense! I find fics by surfing favorites lists, and you have more then fifteen thousand reviews so it has to be on like two thousand favorites lists ... what the heck?

Ugh. I need to get better at looking for good fics.
Deadzepplin chapter 4 . 11/28/2011
The classic term for the trunk is the "Mary Poppins Trunk"
Creator-Time chapter 4 . 11/25/2011
Grphook spoke the truth, but how can on know peace if they don't know chaos. I think the idea of Harry buying the wizarding world out boredom is both amusing and at this point very likely. The moleskin pouch is a very logical and mature purchase' and I currently am brooding because I can never have anything like it in sheer awesomeness. And the things I would do if I were rich *sigh*. I could describe to you in detail what I would do but then again its not really important. Now, onward to the next chapter!
EpitomyofShyness chapter 4 . 11/9/2011
Oh god this is funny incarnate! Thank you so much!
Lun Yokune chapter 4 . 11/6/2011
I was hooked from the very first chapter, and I'm positive I'll keep reading until the very end. I'm not smart or intelligent, but somehow I can't help but enjoy this story. This chapter made me lol, especially Harry at the end.. I kind of like this know-it-all, logical, and almost bratty kind of Harry even better than the original, because even for a little kid, he's more realistic and relatable(at least to me)and not as much as some brave, Idiot Hero. I look forward to keep reading, and I'd like to read the other reviews, but I don't want too many spoilers .
ShadowDragon010 chapter 4 . 11/3/2011
Wow I like how the currency was so well detailed. And I can see Harry going overboard in the near future.
catinthebath chapter 4 . 11/1/2011
I really like this story so far! It's creative, and very well written. But two points:

- There is a lot of scientific terminology in here, which can get very confusing for people who don't know that much about the particular topic. For example, words like 'seigniorage' and 'arbitrage' are basically nonsense for people like me to understand, since many probably don't know much about economics. Although it does give Harry a certain character, and I've come across many published authors who use their very in-depth knowledge like this. And to be honest, it hasn't exactly alienated your readers, not judging by it's popularity!

- Five pounds to a Galleon seems perfectly reasonable, from my point of view. The Weasleys would be paying 35 pounds per wand, and they have 7 children. If you are as poor as the Weasleys seem to be, 35 pounds would be a lot to pay, and a second hand wand would in fact be the best option.

But that's just me being INCREDIBLY picky. I love the story, and it's such an original idea, in the way it's written more than anything. If that makes any sense. It's really great, and I can't find ways to prize it highly enough!
Moriwen1 chapter 4 . 10/29/2011
Doesn't he think he's cute, manipulating Professor McGonagall like that. :P

Honestly, what I want to know about the bank is: why do they have all the money in vaults instead of lending it out? What kind of way to run a bank is that?

Also, bribing people with books is TOTALLY ethical. Totally. And I bet Hogwarts' sci-fi collection is almost nonexistent.

"Any time he ran out of money, or had a free week." - this always makes me smile.
Pearl Bramble of Willowbottom chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Less Wrong,

I knew that your version of this kid was very smart, but wow, what a manipulative genius he is!

Sincerely,

Joy Gillingham
CrimsonAsh28 chapter 4 . 10/24/2011
I wish I had a free week.

EF
BoTheIceman chapter 4 . 10/20/2011
I like the introduction of scientific theorems and formulae. Seems like just what some precocious geek would say. Makes it just a bit more real.
Spottedpool chapter 4 . 10/20/2011
wow, harry's so.. ANNOYING in this! i love it! xD
MercurialInK chapter 4 . 10/20/2011
I've always been fascinated by the economics of the magical world. You've exposed a very real problem with wizarding currency: That the listed exchange rate between galleons and pounds (or sickles and pounds) is far lower than the muggle cost of gold in said galleon.

Your Harry, by the way, is amazing. My mom and dad are both like him: My mom will spend twen minutes in front of the melon section mathematically trying to derive which one is riper based on resonance and weight; my dad has been known to stare off into space for minutes at a time in the middle of a lecture and then run off to his lab without even thinking.

And of course for the longest time, I didn't even know I was supposed to look both ways when I crossed the street because I was too busy reading.

That said, I have all the fondness in the world for your harry. I love his line about attempting to take over the world if he ever runs out of money or has a free week. ;D

Your McGonagall is also entirely spectacular.

First off:

XD

I agree.

Secondly, I've always seen McGonagall as being rather like Hermione: a Gryffindor who's really more of a Ravenclaw at heart. I love that Harry manages to convince her with very little trouble to let him take out money for books...

This whole chapter makes me smile. Thank you for your awesomeness.

~InK
Abigail chapter 4 . 10/15/2011
Okay, after I left you a long review two chapters ago that you probably won't even read, I thought I wouldn't review again until I reached the end of the story.

But this chapter was pure awesome.

There's one thing that's kinda bugging me about your rational Harry. He's really clever, and really funny, so it isn't bothering me much, but -

If you take all of the things Harry said in the earlier chapters literally, about reason as the final arbiter of observation and all that, that means that there's really no room in a rational worldview for faith. Anything we can't test we can't believe in - what about God? What about morality?

But of course, that probably wasn't your point at all. I have an annoying personality trait where I can't think about an idea without noticing all these unintended implications. It's why I don't usually read stuff on the internet.

Again, fantastic job! I promise not to review again just to say that your story is hilarious - I'll only review if I have something deep and thoughtful to say.
Jonakhensu chapter 4 . 10/12/2011
So... what happens when you put the Bag of Holding... I mean 'mokeskin pouch' into an expanded trunk?

Also, the changing gold to cash and exchanging it for Galleons was referred to as the Missingno cheat by another author. Always amusing when people realize the fact. And, assuming Harry somehow becomes friends with the Weasleys, I can see him using it for them.
Randomragingfan chapter 4 . 10/12/2011
So, I am re-reading HP/MOR for the...4th? time now, and find myself oddly disturbed. Did you, good sir, change old chapters without giving notice? For example: "For a certain fee. Where would you find a ton of silver, I wonder?" - Wasnt here a mention of the philosophers stone? In the chapters before this there were also disturbing moments... I liked the "philosophers stone"-version better, given that I do not phantasize it.
Yakuzaman5 chapter 4 . 10/6/2011
Wow. Yeah, I'd like to be really through on what I think of your story, but I like to imagine it's impossible to keep up with all of the reviews. I'll try to tell you what I think and still keep it brief, okay?

Well, first thing is: This story is completely over the top hiliarous. I love that. The characters have a very realistic and very drastic change due to the one change you have made in canon. Vernon Dursley is absent, and is replaced with a scientist. This is extremely fascinating to me, because Vernon so negatively affected Harry's life.

I am very intriqued by the story, but I have to admit that I really do not have much time to read fanfiction very much anymore. The main reason I am writing this review is so I can find it again when I wish to continue.

Anyway, be sure to keep working hard!
Toratchi888 chapter 4 . 10/6/2011
Oh, by the old gods, Harry must be the greatest wheedler ever! This is just hilarious! I see Harry Potter in a WHOLE new light!
theanimemaniac chapter 4 . 9/27/2011
absolutely charming and pure genius! i really enjoyed this one (: haven't had such a laugh in a very long time. thank you for your amazing sense of humor (:
Weave the Magic chapter 4 . 9/6/2011
Bwahahaha! Poor original HP, he could have done a lot more had his growing-up not been stunted by the Dursleys. Harry would have been able to get all his money out of the bank with Hagrid than tough Prof. McGonagall.

Noticed that you used the term Muggle right away without the term being explained to Harry (I think). But what the heck, we all know what it means anyway.
Banker chapter 4 . 9/2/2011
This fic has really made me start to think more and more about the loopholes in HP's magical world. The recent cracked article about the abuse of love potions would make a interesting subject for rationalist harry, not too mention all the abusable spells that are floating around, I mean stuff like the refilling spells or even mundane things like aquamenti which creates water (wait, it makes something out of nothing?) Selling water/wine/elixirs seems like a even similar money making scheme, so it'd be real interesting to see if that even gets explored.
Meghan chapter 4 . 8/31/2011
OMG THIS IS AWESOME! I really like that Harry is like this know it all smart alec and that he persuaded McGonagal like that (: haha it's so perfect.. and I really liked the crying bit. You are an amazing and talented writer. I hope you get a book published someday or sometime soon because I would most deffinately read it (:
Zera Silver chapter 4 . 8/29/2011
Book bribes are the best bribes in existence...

I have to agree with Griphook that locking up Harry is a good idea. Things are picking up speed now. Thanks for the chapter.
madeyemarauder chapter 4 . 8/28/2011
I wonder how many muggles have heard of arbitrage? I'm 80 years old, and if I ever heard of it I've forgotten it. I'm not even interested enough in it to Google it.
A-Writer-Bro chapter 4 . 8/28/2011
Best FF i've read in ages
narutonejii chapter 4 . 8/28/2011
Reading this chapter made me bounce. Up and down, up and down. In a good way. Kudos. This chapter was the shit.
ironhair chapter 4 . 8/27/2011
I think I'm in love with you.

Engaging, believable and downright hilarious.

Loved the arbitrage and the way he gets MacG to give him a higher allowance (for now).
Guest chapter 4 . 8/26/2011
love the twist one of the best so far will keep reading
Fenrir666 chapter 4 . 8/24/2011
"Or if he had a free week." Amazing. I love it. Love itloveitloveit!
Pelahnar chapter 4 . 8/17/2011
Ah, Harry. Almost no time spent in the wizarding world and already figured out how someone could get money from the system...not to mention making good use of extention charmed items...
Jessica Ailes chapter 4 . 8/10/2011
XxDarkWitchXx chapter 4 . 8/7/2011
I just started reading this story and wow. Poor Professor McGonagall. XD I feel kind of bad for her.

I am loving the story though. Harry's dialogue is a riot! :)
librarywitch chapter 4 . 8/6/2011
I don't usually stop and review when I find a new story but I just had to. I love your Harry, he is like Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl without the criminal mastermind or Butler. Awesome job. The story flows great, just a bit of a tendancy to get bogged down in science. But if Micheal Crichton can do so can you! Looking forward to more of this tale. Thanks for sharing.
vampireweekday chapter 4 . 8/5/2011
Not sure if this was your intention but I find your Harry absolutely adorable! I want one!
Uroborusvoid chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
Right lets see if I can explain this,

Your observation in the author's notes that "5 British pounds doesn't square with seven Galleons for a wand and children using hand-me-down wands"

Seems to be based on the assumption that 5 pounds has the same buying power as a Galleon, where as in fact its an exchange rate.

Now yes that is the purpose of an exchange rate, but when you start to take into account real world examples, such as the exchange rate for pounds into the currencies of 3rd world countries, and the poverty lines in those countries, it starts to not hold up as well.

For instance currently 5 British pound sterling will get you approximately 750 Kenyan Shillings.

The Average Daily wage for a Hotel worker in Kenya is equivalent to £3.60, or ~540 Shillings. This is just above the poverty line, as in they have a bit of money left over. but not much.

Now this shows that any British person who goes to Kenya, would effectively be able to live like a king, as Job seekers allowance in the UK is £60 a week (this is below minimum wage, as it is intended to support people while they find work) or 3 time the Kenyan Minimum wage!

What I'm Suggesting is that due to the implied nature, in the Harry Potter books, that there is little interaction between the respective Muggle and Wizarding economies, it is possible that currency convertion would work much the same as with the above British Kenya example.

Really the only way to compare the buying power of the two currencies is though the relative cost of items common to both economies, such as bread, or milk ect, however no such examples exist.

The Best examples I can think of is when the Weasley Twins set up their shop/Business on Diagon Alley with the start up capital of 1000 Galleons. Now Remember that this is a Shop on 'The Main High Street of Wizarding Britain' So equivalent terms would be setting up a shop in Oxford street in London (or other suitable high pedestrian traffic location) Now setting up a business is not my area of expertise, but in such a location, one could imagine start up costs to easily reach £50- £150K (conservative estimates. Now this Does Square with your assumption of 1 Galleon to £50. But not if you then take into account the different buying powers.

What I'm trying to say is that yes, maybe being able to buy a wand for £35 pounds doesn't justify people having to use hand-me-downs. Until you realize that maybe muggles are getting an exceptionally good deal. Maybe those 7 Galleons are the equivalent of two weeks wages(on minimum wage)to a wizard. The British/Kenya example demonstrates how in economies so different, one party's weekly wage, can have considerably more buying power than another party's

Now I'm not saying that Wizarding Britain is the same as a 3rd world country. but their system does seem very feudal, coins actually having the same physical value as their face value, is completely different to our system where the face value is abstractly applied via assurances from banks and the actually currency itself has no physical value!

All this being said, I'm sure that J. didn't put this much though into it, and probably just pulled numbers out of the air, but there are ways to explain the discrepancies this created, without having to rubbish the whole system and invent a new exchange rate.

So now I've said my piece, questioning your fundamental assumptions on this topic, I am in no way disparaging your logic, or your story.

I find it a very enjoyable story, a look at the illogical, rule breaking world of a magical world through logical eyes. With plenty of fun science thrown in. and indeed it does call up a lot of things that don't make sense.

Although why was Harry never surprised that there is a Hogwars Express train? I mean Hogwarts is nearly 1000 years old, so why would wizards use a muggle invention which has only been around for 150 years to transport its student? and what did they do before that? I mean surely it would have been easier if wizarding families were allowed to apparate their children direct to Hogsmead?

But all of this I just take as Rowling telling a Children's Story so it doesn't have to make sense, but it Should Damn it!

Any way Keep up the good work!
RB chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
In this chapter, Harry is scarier than Voldemort
M chapter 4 . 7/27/2011
Superb!
Bonehammer chapter 4 . 7/26/2011
Hello,

I just started reading. I'm still not sure whether I like this version of Harry, but your story already seems worth reading for the subtle humour and the tidbits of information disseminated within the text. Browsing the titles of the upcoming chapters brought up even higher expectations. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.
Kurama no Miko2003 chapter 4 . 7/24/2011
Very nicely written so far! I love the humor so far, as well as Harry's book obsession.
sydg813 chapter 4 . 7/24/2011
Oh wow, I think I'm in love with this story.
Guest chapter 4 . 7/21/2011
I love this! His childishness (at times) coupled with the use of 'big words' is just two funny. plus he's a smart-a**! Sarcastic little bugger...
Eona on FictionPress chapter 4 . 7/19/2011
Okay, I just have to say, you're a genious! I have done nothing but smiling and laughing since starting your story.

By the way, I found this story because it was mentioned in one of the articles in a range of articles about the 8th Harry Potter movie and Harry Potter in general on a site whose name I sadly have forgotten. But anyway, just wanted to tell you that. :P

Nothing really specific to say about the story other than that I think it's great, so back to reading ;)

- Eona
Incog chapter 4 . 7/17/2011
I loved the economics at the beginning of this chapter. (I decided to suspend all disbelief in terms of what Harry knows. I can still have issues with how he expresses that knowledge, but even though it doesn't completely make sense to me that Harry would know about arbitrage and not about more advanced genetics, I'll assume there's no rhyme or reason to the pattern of what he knows beyond "whatever interesting books were lying around his house when he was growing up". aka, anything goes)

""payable to his ki-" McGonagall swallowed the word. "To whoever might defeat him.""

wayyyy too obvious. There was no reason for her not to just finish the lie.

""I fear I cannot deny the logic of your words, though I very much wish I could."

Ever so slightly stilted. Maybe shift the syntax a bit more towards "conversational", so it sounds like something people would /say/, not write.

"Griphook was favoring Harry with a gaze of frank respect, possibly even outright admiration."

Wait what? What the heck is this doing here? I strongly recommend getting rid of this line, it makes no sense for Griphook and feels a bit too much like you're applauding for your hero.

""But oh, Professor McGonagall, why rain on my parade? Surely this is a happy day, when I discover all things wizarding for the first time! Why act the part of the grumpy grownup when instead you could smile and remember your own innocent childhood, watching the look of delight upon my young face as I buy a few toys using an insignificant fraction of the wealth that I earned by defeating the most terrible wizard Britain has ever known, not that I'm accusing you of being ungrateful or anything, but still, what are a few toys compared to that?""

See, this sounds artificial but here it isn't a bad thing, because it makes sense, tone-wise, for Harry to be talking in a deliberately artifical manner here. Just pointing it out as a contrast to other places where it was a problem.

In general, lovely chapter, again. I notice that I'm spending most of my time pointing out nitpicks. This is not meant in any way to suggest that I did not enjoy this fic so much that I pulled an all-nighter to complete it, and proceeded to bombard all my friends with requests to read it, too.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 4 . 7/9/2011
Haha lovely chapter! Confusing too since I don't follow economics that well, but I think that you still explained that very well.
ds862 chapter 4 . 7/7/2011
Hahahaha... this story is HILARIOUS! You put so much effort into writing this... I adore this Harry (AND his parents!). As a science teacher myself (though my brain tends to prefer the biology side of nerdery, rather than the mathematical/physics side), I can completely understand and respect this Harry Potter and I'm already comparing him to several brilliant students I've had over the last 7 years of my teaching.

... back to reading. And laughing. (the galleons to sickles thing was amazing.. I also wondered about the conversion that Harry thought was silly)
Guest chapter 4 . 7/5/2011
Engaging and hilarious.
Diz chapter 4 . 6/25/2011
I never questioned why Lily and James had so much money stored away. Nice observation. That is quite odd.

And I have always wondered what the exchange rate of magical currency to the pound. Economics professors would love you so much. I'm glad you addressed these issues.

However, Harry's not very likable... How will he ever make friends?
Baahubali chapter 4 . 6/22/2011
Wish JKR had written Harry like that... :)
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWQYZ1234 chapter 4 . 6/15/2011
The quote at the beginning is amazing! Is it your own? - in fact stupid question you would have written the name of the person who said it if it wasn't.
Anon chapter 4 . 6/14/2011
One of the limits on the arbitrage system that doesn't occur to Harry is the RATE at which the goblins will make the exchange. If they drag their claws during either the coinage process or if they have some sort of hold period it might not be possible to make money this way.

Absolutely love the story, it's so clever!
Thelibrarain17 chapter 4 . 6/13/2011
Oh! That was wonderful! Keep writing plz!
kristenrosypop chapter 4 . 6/12/2011
I love how i feel like i am learning more readin this story than i do going to school
Slayer End chapter 4 . 6/5/2011
Excellent... excellent...

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
Nomsterli chapter 4 . 6/5/2011
Another good one!
GinsengH chapter 4 . 6/1/2011
I'm sorry. I really wanted to like this story, but just 4 chapters there it really is too much.

Perhaps you explain this at some point later, but why do you keep referring to Harry using his mother's maiden name as well as his adoptive father's name after his already given and surname? It's a bit hard to swallow and just completely unnecessary.

Why is Harry quoting advanced physics at age 10, and how can he possibly have such an acute understanding of economics at that age? I realize you are making him a prodigy of sorts, but all of this really is taking it to the extreme.

Perhaps you cleaned a lot of this up as the story advanced, and if that is the case I would advise you to consider reworking some of these early chapters.
chaSing b0b chapter 4 . 6/1/2011
Hey :) You sure go into all the facts don't you. That was the most entertaining bargaining I have ever read. And, man, you weren't half on a role when you were talking about the currency transfer, even though it did get quite confusing.
TheAzreal chapter 4 . 5/28/2011
I teach in a school for advanced studies. I believe I understand Minerva's exasperation perfectly.
FmaFan10 chapter 4 . 5/23/2011
ahahah very funny chapter!
Yuki Minamoto chapter 4 . 5/22/2011
Hahahaha! Harry's gone crazy with money, and McGonagall went with it. XD

~Yuki~
MechaBlastoise chapter 4 . 5/20/2011
I'm liking your Harry more and more.
sarj2490 chapter 4 . 5/14/2011
Also love this:

"Then again, Harry was standing in a bank that literally stored your money in vaults full of gold coins guarded by dragons, where you had to go in and take out coins out of your vault whenever you wanted to spend money. The finer points of arbitraging away market inefficiencies might well be lost on them. He'd been tempted to make some sort of snide remark about the crudity of their financial system...

But the sad thing is, their way is probably better.

Just sayin'.
Lena Knight chapter 4 . 5/7/2011
Okay let me start with first apologizing for my review being not epically long or complicated. I just have to say this story is incredibly well written and amazing, and I’m only on chapter four! I really didn’t stop laughing for most of the chapter. Now I found your story while doing reviews for a roleplaying site called Rocky Mountain International, and where I’d usually just do the ‘awesome story please join copy and paste’ I have to say. Please join us! We love creative people and my ‘boss’ the Head of the Site would love me forever if you’d submit a character! If you have any wish to join our site it’s Rocky Mountain International (www. rmimagic .com). Once again thanks for the truly amazing story, now on to Chapter five!
Faerthurin chapter 4 . 5/5/2011
Um, wow! Yes, it's very AU, and quite funny! Far from being Gryffindor, Harry is Ravenclaw with a touch of Slytherin! He's rather ambitious in this chapter, to the point of dangerous - almost mixing the wizard and Muggle worlds. At the least, if he carried out his scheme to get rich, he'd be under serious suspicion from both worlds. I'm glad Professor McGonagall curbed him in the end.

Amazing writing - thank you!

Faerthurin
someone chapter 4 . 4/29/2011
That. Was. Awsome.

I was going to wait until I got farther in before a review, but I just have to tell you that I LOVE your Harry. That was all rather slytherin of him. And Ravenclaw. And Gryfindor. I love him. :)
LukasRodam chapter 4 . 4/25/2011
Remarkably! Excellently written and very entertaining. I love how he uses the actions to back it up without offending others. A pity that it took me so long to start reading this fic.
Ocean Starfly chapter 4 . 4/13/2011
You. Are a genius. I am loving super-smart Harry and his ultra-logical arguments/thoughts. I nearly burst out laughing (I'm sitting in Chemistry, so not currently the best idea) when I read the last part with Harry trying to bribe Professor McGonagall. I cannot wait to see how he reacts when someone gets fed up and just says "Because I said so!"

So far, your characterization is amazing and the whole plot is the most amazing Harry Potter fanfiction idea I have ever heard. I cannot wait to read more!

On a side note, I will probably go back and review the earlier chapters later - I was too into reading to stop before since I had uninterrupted reading time in English class (unlike in Chemistry where I have to pay a little attention).
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 4 . 4/12/2011
Oh, Harry, Harry, you clever boy :D Love every piece of this. I adore Harry, I love... everything you've done here. I'm gushing. It has a good purpose though. I shall gush upon this chapter and every chapter so long as there are chapters to gush upon.
Kitty O chapter 4 . 4/7/2011
It's like someone stuck Artemis Fowl inside Harry Potter, de-aged them, and made them better.

By the way, I'll probably be reviewing a lot. Sorry if that gets annoying after 11000 reviews.
Omirao chapter 4 . 3/30/2011
Wtf? I'm laughing so hard my voice is squeaking. I'm crying. Thank you!
2NE1forever chapter 4 . 3/25/2011
this is such a GREAT story!
Me chapter 4 . 3/18/2011
AHAHAHAHAH! This fanfic is good! Just started reading it and I am about to start Chapter 4. While my poor, frazzled mind cannot comprehend all that Harry Potter says it does seem to make sense and it's cool to see him smart and witty for once. Kind of like Artemis Fowl as a matter of fact. Can't wait until he meets Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger not to mention Snape and all the others at Hogwarts. Classic! This is going to my favorites promtply as I was too lazy to sign in.

Keep it up!
Sreia chapter 4 . 3/13/2011
well, you said the story would get interesting at the next chapter...

but I'm enjoying it already
12 years and counting chapter 4 . 3/2/2011
That is So awesome. Very artemis Fowl although I don't know what SF&F book is. Possibly Science fiction and fantasy? I really enjoyed this chapter and it is probably the best HP fanfic I've read so far - excluding Draco Malfoy The Amazing Bouncing Rat of course. Even my fanfic won't be as good as that. Anyway I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed this chapter as it was very amusing. I will read faithfully to the end now. You'll probably be hearing from me again soon as I always have something to say and your story seems a valuable enough topic to spend some time discussing. I'm so generous with compliments. Just wanted to say again how awesome I think your story is : D
Smooth Trooper chapter 4 . 2/28/2011
The Gringotts scene was probably the funniest thing I've read in a while.
Kerr Avonsen chapter 4 . 2/27/2011
Delightful! Harry's persuasion of McGonagall reminds me a lot of Miles Vorkosigan.
JessJ chapter 4 . 2/23/2011
Harry doesn't seem to have done much yet to earn the distrust of mcgonagall
AnFan-n-More chapter 4 . 2/22/2011
You may want to use a different example of crossover for value other than wands. Of course I could be forgetting something. The two examples of hand me down wands are Ron and Neville. Now, Neville had his fathers wand because of emotion, not lack of funds. If I remember correctly Ron used his brother Charlie's wand but I don't remember any other Weasley member having a used wand. Now, my impression is that the Weasley family was not poor, it was beyond that. I believe they were practically "Off the Grid" as it were, though that phrase doesn't indicate wealth level but self sufficiency. I can't remember if Molly sold food in canon, but it sounds right. Given this situation, all expenses would be budgeted to the nearest knut "per month". Also, if asked, I'm sure Ron would say that food was more important than his wand, especially at a young age when he couldn't use one. Because of these things, I don't find it a surprise at all that Ron had a hand me down wand.

Besides all that, didn't all of the used wands get broken in canon? It saves the character from the stated trauma that having their own wand snapped would have caused.

I'm enjoying the story even though I've read it before. A reread was necessary to catch back up with the story for the update. Since I read so many HP stories I have to be reminded what when before for those that are long and have many differences from canon.
Tashie xo chapter 4 . 2/19/2011
"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization." So my Facebook Status.

On the other hand, one competent hedge fundie could probably own the whole wizarding world within a week. Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ran out of money, or had a week free. That's the spirit Harry, got a week off, lets rob the Wizarding World and become

But oh, Professor McGonagall, why rain on my parade? Surely this is a happy day, when I discover all things wizarding for the first time! Why act the part of the grumpy grownup when instead you could smile and remember your own innocent childhood, watching the look of delight upon my young face as I buy a few toys using an insignificant fraction of the wealth that I earned by defeating the most terrible wizard Britain has ever known, not that I'm accusing you of being ungrateful or anything, but still, what are a few toys compared to that? Harry is DANGEROUS.

"I would be doing a great service to wizarding Britain, Mr. Potter, and perhaps the entire world, if I locked you in this vault and left you here." Oh but Professor McGonagall, Harry is too cute to be locked up in a Gringotts vault and left to starve and die..

Tashie xo
ARMH chapter 4 . 2/19/2011
Woah, looks like Harry;s going to end up with quite the item inventory
The Lonely Ant chapter 4 . 2/12/2011
Another favorite of mine, someone actually making sense of the economy. I can't think of the word to describe how I liked it, but I was reading the dialogue out loud, and laughing aloud, both of which are indicative of liking something quite a bit with me. (And I'm starting to talk like the characters, also something I do when reading something I like.)
jkulibert2 chapter 4 . 2/11/2011
Compared to how many chapters you have typed here, I haven't even pinched the pile yet, but I am enjoying the read! I hadn't ever thought of approaching things here as you did. It's fantastic. I was led here on a friend reccomendation, and I am enjoying reading this even if my need for sleep makes me stop when I've only just started reading.
Harunomiya chapter 4 . 1/28/2011
This is wonderful writing! The last paragraphs made laugh very hard.
Reader chapter 4 . 1/22/2011
Some of the best pieces.

Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ... had a week free.

It means Harry hardly ever has a day free, even more so a week free.

The amazing new world of being rich was roughly a billion times less interesting than the amazing new world of magic.

True.

You should have told me much earlier that such things existed! Now my father and I are going to have to spend the next two days frantically hitting up all the bookstores...

And true.

It's okay to bribe people with books, right?

And true again.

Very good chapter!
Ligare chapter 4 . 1/14/2011
Well, it's not exactly a critique. I only wonder if you have any idea why seigniorage can't simply be called "profit".
Keiren-Kun89 chapter 4 . 1/13/2011
Much like that goblin I am looking at my screen with a gaze of frank respect, possibly even outright admiration as I laugh so hard I tear the muscles in my diaphragm. This is SO good.
Qwertiest chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
Amazing work, I haven't literally laughed out loud to a story in quite a while, but, for this one, I've been giggling myself silly.
Reader chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
Potter: How can you call the day happy when you have learned how your parents died? How can you say you defeated the Dark Lord when you know you didn't? How can you speak about toys when you don't play toys?

I haven't read any other HP books before (I haven't read the "classic" cannon, yes), and still I haven't even stumbled when reading the word "muggle".
Tormuse chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
And Harry continues to be entertaining in his craftiness... :)

I have one suggestion about this chapter: You might want to add a definition of the word "muggle," since this is the first time the term has been used in the story so far. Of course, it goes without saying that HP fans don't need that definition, but, up to this point, you've written in such a way that this could be a stand-alone story and one sentence added in there could make it more accessible to people that aren't necessarily familiar with the original work. (Maybe it could be in the disclaimer?)

Just a thought...

In any case, awesome story! :D
OctopusByStarlight chapter 4 . 1/7/2011
"super beltpack of ultimate awesomeness" AHHA. My favorite line from this chapter. Loved it!
jada951 chapter 4 . 1/6/2011
well, I'm not sure if harry is more ravenclaw or slytherin!

certainly has the canculations down, and can manipulate adults!
LaughingLast chapter 4 . 1/5/2011
Oh, my aching sides... I really, really like your wicked, clever mind!

4 spoon. Choke.
Lanali chapter 4 . 1/5/2011
Oh, I totally love wizard arbitrage. I totally agree that you could do a lot with a few heavy suitcases and a spare week. Really, Harry ought to try it...
Joarib chapter 4 . 12/30/2010
A good thing that Harry asks all the questions that were unasked in the original books but I think that he might be a little too long forward in his shoes. I mean he's only 11.

/Joarib
Selquist chapter 4 . 12/28/2010
I'm surprised Harry doesn't know what a philosopher's stone does-Isn't it in the D&D manuals? (I've only read 3rd edition, so maybe it isn't in the AD&D books)
Lynn K. Hollander chapter 4 . 12/15/2010
So where does 'moke' come from?

Moke wasn't mentioned in any of the first four chapters, so why does Harry ask about it? Is moke in common usage, just not here? Or what?
Gelacacine chapter 4 . 12/13/2010
Every time I imagine going back in time it seems so obvious how to change things in your favor. Never once did I stop to consider how antiquated the magic world was compared to the muggle one. This was absolutely incredible.

Before i read this book, I would never have thought of professor McGonagall as either evil or sarcastic...
koipen chapter 4 . 12/13/2010
Very funny chapter indeed. Genius Bonus indeed. It is inspring when people find things from the books that are out there, and then abuse them. All in canon.

I must say I'm with Harry on this one. Getting to keep your own library with yourself all the time is very tempting option. With another trunkful of bookmarks I could just cite books. And surely anything that is in a book is right!

Up.
MungoJerry chapter 4 . 12/12/2010
Harry is a bit of a turd. Heh!
Squeamish chapter 4 . 12/8/2010
A billion is a pretty big number.

Fermi-wise, estimating that the amazing new world of being rich was a billion times less interesting than the amazing new world of magic seems like it implies that he should have done that estimate first and skipped holding on a moment and doing the calculation.

On the other hand, if the cost of making the estimates is small compared to the wasted time of even walking into the vault to look at the riches, then it makes sense. Especially if the level of richness is sufficient to make the study of the amazing new world of magic more effective.

This chapter worthy of outright admiration, but getting access to his riches will be more valuable than just a billionth of the time available in Harry's first year (or thirty years).
Zanita chapter 4 . 12/6/2010

Ha ha ha ha. This line made me laugh out loud.
Los Grotos chapter 4 . 12/4/2010
God love him.
Tangshou chapter 4 . 12/3/2010
I love the tagline: "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

However, this actual line is not used until Ch 6. Is that intentional?

Batman's utility belt of holding!

And thank you for pointing out the absurdness of storing gold in vaults.
Ultimate-Zelda-fan chapter 4 . 11/29/2010
Oh dear. It seems that a certain someone is a shopaholic!
Cringo chapter 4 . 11/25/2010
OMG...I love this chapter. I laughed so hard at the end, tears are still running down my face. I love how scientific you have made Harry and can not wait to see how you have written Hermione and how they will act with each other especially with her being just as smart as Harry (I hope).
topynate chapter 4 . 11/23/2010
Starbucks didn't open in the UK until 1998. Most Britons younger than about 20 won't notice this, though.
Mind's III chapter 4 . 11/21/2010
Ch4 is an excellent chapter as usual.

It's hard to believe that not a single muggleborn student, many of whom have regular contact with the muggle world (e.g. Hermione), would not have thought of the premise here. Especially since it's established in canon that grimgotts exchanges wizard money for muggle money. Wouldn't Hermione's parents have at least asked about the exchange rate?
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 4 . 11/21/2010
Excellent, and always excellent.
Melverne chapter 4 . 11/17/2010
I was going to drop my standard semi complaint about all stories that I really enjoy, make the chapters longer. However, I see that this is over 300,000 words and 58 chapters. There is plenty left to read. The short chapters do make it much easier to break in between.

Four chapters in and I still cannot figure out why you felt the need to warn people to stick around for chapter five or give it up by chapter ten. I have thoroughly enjoyed every chapter.

The sense of forbodding I get from Minerva is great. It is almost like she is preparing herself for the havok he will bring to the wizarding world. Her thoughts of his behavior regarding the house he will be sorted into are fun. I cannot wait for him to meet the other cannon characters. I'm starting to feel sorry for some of them already.

-Melverne
S.N. Rainsworth chapter 4 . 11/5/2010
Hello, Less Wrong. I've just come back from your wonderful story to take my time and review. I've also read your posts and essays upon the Human Visions of Rationality, some of of favorites being 'The Simple Truths' and 'The Twelve Virtues of Rationality'. Personally, I also think that incorporating your work into a very popular book series is unexpected; although, I'm still waiting for your next post. I was, though, pleasantly surprised upon seeing you have an account here.

Continue with your story. A rational person in Harry Potter is a much amusing thing to read about - seeing as the whole series in general goes against the realistic sense of what people think.

-Summer
Lord Lugos chapter 4 . 10/23/2010
Wow, this is really fun. Also, I would not mind seeing a fic or one shot where financially smart Harry does just what you said, and owns the wizarding world in a week. After all, most wizards down have an ounce of logic in them, so he could probably get away with it before anyone could stop him. :)
AllyrienDM chapter 4 . 10/23/2010

Super giggles.
taxzombie chapter 4 . 10/23/2010
I stumbled across this tale just a short time ago. Frankly I tad put off by your 'tooting of your own horn' in the summary.

But, I looked at the review count and decided to give it a shoot.

Four chapters in and I surrender. I'm hooked, my day is shot. There is no way in hell I'm going to get anything else done today because it's going to be spent in front of my computer reading your your tale.

I hope you're happy with yourself. I certainly am. Thank you for sharing it!
Kutta chapter 4 . 10/6/2010
Great chapter
w chapter 4 . 10/5/2010
Good things:

Test of character.

Seigniorage.

The entire conversation with Griphook.

Their way is better? How so? Due to gold standard?

Good things, cted:

Mow a lawn.

Convincing McGonagall to spend money on books.

Altogether, an excellent chapter.
dinosaurusgede chapter 4 . 10/4/2010
Harry will easily getting rich that way, no doubt.
Nakedkali chapter 4 . 10/4/2010
This chapter is very sneaky, it finally becomes out in the open all the lovely dialogue Professor McGonagall *should* have had in the original books. Part of our expectation that McG could be like this is due to the excellent characterization Maggie Smith gave in the movies, but still.
LunaSlashSea chapter 4 . 9/28/2010
Excellent chapter. Great quote at the beginning. I like that you developed the wizarding financial system more than the books did.
tadrinth chapter 4 . 9/27/2010
On the topic of making money: Has it occurred to you to hold MoR updates hostage contingent on sales of your other books? You could easily threaten to not release the last 10 or so chapters unless your newest book sells enough copies. *evil evil evil*
E.A.V chapter 4 . 9/26/2010
Witty and clever dialogue! I love it and the cultural references were grade-A fantastic! I'm learning new things as I read, and I'm loving it!
MonkeyAxman1302 chapter 4 . 9/20/2010
hehehahahee!

Oh that chapter was good, I second Rebel Goddess on the great line "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation".

That last paragraph with Potter trying to convince McGonogall to let him spend money. If only that had worked when I was a kid. That had cackling, cackling out loud!

Thanks for writing.

Monkey
Serpent In Red chapter 4 . 9/11/2010
Okay, you had me laughing again, and I am positive it is not because I read one chapter after the other. Gotta love question-filled!Harry. Though I suppose it would not be as much fun if I were standing at the end of his questions. Loved how McGonagall got confused by his question about coining gold.

Natural born businessman, Harry. It is rather funny how he's already thinking about earning money *that* way should he ever go bankrupt.

Again, loved how he stumped McGonagall.

*sniggers* I'm guessing the goblin loves the way he's doing business. Planning to recruit him anytime soon, Griphook? ;)

""I would be doing a great service to wizarding Britain, Mr. Potter, and perhaps the entire world, if I locked you in this vault and left you here."" - There's nothing more I can say, except for: ROTFLMAO!

~Serp
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 4 . 9/4/2010
You (via this fic) are making me so... happy. Applied logic - I love it. (Because, really, the books never established a stable world).
Donteatacowman chapter 4 . 8/21/2010
Hahaha, I love this! XD The idea for this fic was *inspired*. Your writing, in terms of emotion and plot (thus far) are superb, but what I'm really enjoying is all the information you've crammed into this fic so far. There are a lot of things I've never heard of (and when there are some that I have, like the bystander principle, I get this happy little glow of recognition) and that, while making sense in context, inspire me to look them up... So I think I'm actually learning a bit too. :D Thanks for writing! I'll keep reading...
iloveebfanfics chapter 4 . 8/14/2010
ahahah its like harry is the guy version of hermione! teehee still hermiones got competition... hehe
fifespice chapter 4 . 8/7/2010
lol looks like harry is gonna give everyone a run for their money huh
Chanel chapter 4 . 7/30/2010
I loved your disclaimer: give up after chapter 10.

Give up indeed. Bah! I was hooked from the start.
jdboss1 chapter 4 . 7/29/2010
Less Wrong I was reading The_Denarian_Lord by Shezza88 a Denarian /hp crossover where Harry Potter is some bad as that she is his body with Denarian

when re-reading the story this chapter

/s/4359957/6/The_Denarian_Lord

reminded me of your Harry Potter trying to work out how magic works I don't know how much of what Harry was saying you thought personally but I found this summed it up excellently I am going to post an extract from his story here I hope it helps how you view Magic mechanics to me it is one of the best answers I have came across other than its magic as the second-best

"Do you know how wand-magic works, Harry?" Dumbledore asked the Denarian, ignoring the question. "Some wizards, those who have labelled themselves 'True', draw magic from this world. They find power in their existence, from their own emotions and dreams and hopes- or hate. Wizards who wield wands, however, draw power from somewhere else. It is a realm beyond most perceptions, a realm of pure…power, for lack of a better word.""

"This power is raw, unfocussed," Dumbledore continued. He stroked his beard absently, his eyes flickering to his bookshelf where numerous tomes jutted out. "There are many theories on how we use our magic, but they all have the same underlying principle. Language."

"Language, to humans, holds the key to our perceptions. Language influences the way we interact with our world and each other. Language passes on our emotions, our hate and our love. The type of language we learn even influences the way our mind literally thinks. We think in language, we speak in language, we see in language, we touch in language. Tell me, Harry, have you ever the phrase 'the pen is mightier than the sword?'"

"For us, it is quite true," Dumbledore said with a gentle smile. He lifted up his quill and his wand, a curiously-shaped stick of gleaming wood that Harry couldn't identify. "Between these two objects, my personal wand and an ordinary quill, it is the quill that, in essence, is more powerful than my wand."

"It can make words, Harry," Dumbledore said gravely. "Language is nothing without words. But words are just noises, simple sounds that our mouths make. Language is nothing without the word and the word is nothing without meaning. We attribute meanings to words. For example, 'water' is just a set of sounds. It is when we apply meaning to it that it becomes comprehensible. For a split second, consciously and unconsciously, our minds link the meaning of 'water' with our memories, experiences and, more importantly, our emotions. Water may be the beloved lifesaver of the stranded man in the desert. Water may also be the hated murderer of the parent whose child drowned in the river. Meaning, Harry, is everything."

"Our realm of power, the realm where we draw magic through our wands from, it is connected to this world just as it is connected to the Nevernever and countless other worlds," Dumbledore continued. There was passion in his eyes, and Harry could see why the man had decided to become a professor of all things. "It has no direct impact on us, but we, wielders of the tool known as language, have an impact on it. The language we use, the meanings we attribute to words, the emotions we conjure for them all, they all resonate within the realm of power. Overtime, these resonations can cause a relatively small but permanent effect on this realm. When these words are utilised properly, and with the right focus, we can draw the resonations out into this mortal world. These resonations, which heed no scientific laws, produce the effect we know as wand-magic. Transfiguration, charms, curses and counter-curses are all the results of a resonations impact on our world. We then guide these resonations into existence with out wands."

"Meaning creates the words, words create the language, language creates the meaning," Dumbledore murmured. "It is the ancient languages from all over the world that have the greatest resonance in this realm, simply because the age of the resonance itself. As a rule, older resonances are more powerful. However, without meaning and context, the word is simply a word. As language influences the way we think, it is very hard to use the incantations of a wizard who does not speak the same language as us. Hence, many of our spells are simply 'translated' versions of the older languages."

"Now, as a rule, it is generally agreed upon that the Ancient Egyptians were the first civilisation to create significant resonance in the wand-magic realm of existence. This is attributed to a number of factors. Population is one, for example. Simply put, the Egyptians were the first civilisation to have a population large enough with a well-developed language to create the necessary ripples for a proper resonance. In the late sixteenth-century, the International Confederation of Wizards decreed that the official language of spells would be Latin. Latin was a very popular language spoken by millions during the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. More importantly, it was the official language of the Church; hence, it would not fall from our memories as easily as other languages had. It is quite interesting to study these central years, as wizard persecution was still running rampant. Why, the Head Warlock himself had to fend…"

"Forgive me, Harry," he said cheerfully. "I seem to have gone off into a tangent all on my own. Where was I? Ah, yes. The ancient Egyptians were the first magical civilisation to create a proper resonance. Granted, their methods of wielding and controlling this resonance were far inferior to the wand-based focuses we use today, but generally, it is an academically accepted fact that no wieldable resonance predates them. However, for scholars such as myself- and there are not many like me- we tend to regard this rule as lacking.'

"For you see, Harry, the realm of power that we draw our magic from is connected to countless worlds," Dumbledore said wisely, nodding to himself. "Yes, yes, thousands upon thousands of other worlds- millions, even- all brushing up against this realm. Some you may know, the Nevernever, for example, contains countless of these words, most which have never been mapped before by human hands. These countless worlds have inhabitants, some so far different from us that we could not even begin to perceive them as they truly are. But, to some, we are the ones who are so different from them. Nevertheless, these inhabitants have one thing in common, Harry. Can you tell me what it is?"

"Language," Harry breathed, understanding dawning on him. He licked his dry lips and spoke. "These worlds have language of their own, and they're all connected to the realm of wand-magic."

"Exactly," Dumbledore beamed. He looked pleased. "Those languages, some far more ancient than our own, have words. Those words have meaning. Granted, the meaning and emotion behinds most of these languages is far beyond us. We are too dissimilar, to alien to one another. But, there are a select few whose resonance we, as human beings, are able to grasp and utilise. During the battle with Lord Voldemort at the Ministry of Magic, I utilised some of these words. These words came from a series of scrolls that were discovered in the ruins of what is known as the Temple of Solomon. Lord Voldemort knew it as the Psalm of Ar'uck'shei. I know it as the language of the angels."

"There are Words of the Drakon, for they have language. There are Words of the Fae, for they too have language. There are Words of demons, of angels, from a multitude of beings- most that human eyes have never glanced upon before. These Words are old, their resonance ancient and, for some unknown reason, strangely potent in our particular world. I will teach you how to use these words. I will teach you how to reproduce sounds that our throats cannot physically create, that our ears cannot physically hear. I will teach you how to utilise these Words in combat, from Words that turn matter into oblivion to Words that can summon entire oceans upon our enemies. In the end, Harry, you will have a power that the Dark Lord knows not. You will have the Words of the Worlds, and you will crush your enemies with them."

(that is not the whole story have only copied and pasted Pacific parts of the chapter)

I really hope this gives you some inspiration for your Harry Potter went encoding the mysteries of Magic

I'm not suggesting you include all the beasts in the Dresden files but that might be a good concept with the language to explore

(pity you cannot use its time Turner to win the lottery or sporting events)

one of the mindless blind devoted fans reporting out

ps hop this weekend you update with another brilliant update

I want to see how his view on magical Plant life DNA samples?
Lobeira chapter 4 . 7/26/2010
Economics.. wow.

Do you write all of this by yourself? Because I have to say the concepts in this story is amazing and I'm having too much fun reading about a rationalist!Harry :).
YetAnotherAnon chapter 4 . 7/25/2010
Again, wonderfully written. And it seems my concerns from the last chapter may have been addressed already; I'd have to read on further to confirm.

One suggestion, though: perhaps instead of "insignificant fraction of the wealth...", have Harry talk about an "infinitesimal fraction..."? Would you wrote is more accurate, but for someone like your Harry, I'd expect "infinitesimal" to come more naturally.
the.stories.live.on chapter 4 . 7/10/2010
Holy friggin' crap, I love this story! I love this Harry! He's so much more interesting that the original one. You've had me laughing almost the entire time. Harry bribing McGonagall, just pure awesomeness.
Solitary Sanctuary chapter 4 . 7/4/2010
Two Words: Insanely Hilarious.
hypercell chapter 4 . 7/2/2010
Ravenclaw yes, but the way he talked...smooth :)
The Pink Swan chapter 4 . 6/29/2010
Thewanderingmonster. The problem is the author notes imply that Less Wrong does agree with this shitty notion.

Anon

"A says: "Rich and hansom teenage male bullies are more likely to be forgiven than poorer males."

Conclusion: "A hates or has contempt for women."

Non sequitur much?"

That is not the issue at all. The issue people are calling him a misogynistic. Is Lily is considered shallow by not accepting Snape's apology after basically calling her a nigger.

What Snape did was flat out emotional abuse.

He demeaned her, labeled her less than human by using the word mudblood. Yet she's treated as the horrible one in the fic for getting rid of someone who genuinely seems to think of her as beneath him. This doesn't shine well on the author.

You might have as well have told a woman slapped by her boyfriend, to forgive and forget. That's the same kind of logic this author is using to make her appear shallow.

That's why women are so sickened by this chapter.
Lord Dingsda chapter 4 . 6/24/2010
very interesting characterisation and way to deal with the plot...

I'll definatley read more of ot when I have the time, well done!
James Birdsong chapter 4 . 6/23/2010
Cute. Great *laughs*
willedmina chapter 4 . 6/14/2010
Everyone needs a luggage, a trunk constructed of magical sapient pearwood.

Your sequence reminds me this particular and loveable character of the Pratchett's world.

I keep readind the rest.

Nice work
Syron13 chapter 4 . 6/13/2010
I love what a person of intelligence who obviously consumes more than Harry Potter and mass media can produce. A breath of fresh air in a long stream of mindless fanfics. I wish I could get in on that gold and silver exchange. With the gold prices the way they are right now the exchange is closer to 1:67.
bellisim-oh chapter 4 . 6/11/2010
This is hilarious, I'm glad I've rediscovered it! I loved reading stories like this when I was young, most of my arcane bits of knowledge came from doing so. And Harry's such a disorder generator...
Psalmy chapter 4 . 6/9/2010
"which a quick Fermi estimate said was roughly a billion times less interesting"

BWA HA HA HA! I was nearly on my knees. Great dialog, great characterization, fun logic, I'm lapping this stuff up! I'm so glad I have so far to go.
the bird of the chapel chapter 4 . 6/6/2010
LOL really like a child. So excited.
Mother of Tears chapter 4 . 6/1/2010
Yes, McGonagall was pushed too far...
HellsMaji chapter 4 . 5/30/2010
So why would Harry need permission from her to withdraw money from his own vault?
bookivore chapter 4 . 5/27/2010
A quick comment after McGonagall deals with Harry's blarney - so, this Harry is not only a Ravenclaw with a Gryffindor's attitude towards scientific experimentation (small scale test? why not Large Scale test? More Power!) but he has a slytherin tongue. Just waiting for his hardworking Hufflepuff tendencies to be fully visible.
Animekitty47 chapter 4 . 5/25/2010
Awesome line-

Have you ever read 'Oh God, not again' or 'Run that by me again?" by Sarah1281?
Meila chapter 4 . 5/24/2010
I apologize3 if I sound like a sheep here but I have really never seen a story like this. Definitely one of a kind and needs more reviews than 4000. I'd recommend you to sell this but that goes against the disclaimer...

But seriously, this is awesome!
ShineX chapter 4 . 5/21/2010
That's awesome! lol
Mr.Destructo chapter 4 . 5/20/2010
omg a review!
Tangerine-Alert chapter 4 . 5/13/2010
I will admit I went a little vague when reading the galleons, gold, silver calculations...stuff.

Still a brilliant chapter full of wonder and humour, fantastic work!
Loonynamelass chapter 4 . 5/12/2010
"It's like the super beltpack of ultimate awesomeness!"
Mionefan chapter 4 . 5/12/2010
He he he, the humour is priceless!
Dureth chapter 4 . 5/10/2010
Hah. Excellent.
Snag1 chapter 4 . 5/8/2010
" It's like the super beltpack of ultimate awesomeness!"

Dammit. Don't write things like that when I'm drinking a beer!
wdango chapter 4 . 5/8/2010
:o oh. Woooow. Okay, the disclaimer review joke is getting old. And this chapter's disclaimer was far from a masterpiece anyway. But don't worry! You more than made up for it with the rest of the chapter.

Wow. Seriously. This chapter was so awesome you got me to end my disclaimer-review-chain. Which is a pity, considering I only hit combo x3. Anyway. Me likey references. The quote at this chapter's start awesomey.
theyhaveeels chapter 4 . 5/2/2010
remark : short chapters.

~backslash symph
Janus Darko chapter 4 . 4/27/2010
this became my favorite chapter with the first phrase

I'm a little afraid of what Harry could get away with...A ravenclaw mind with Slytherin thinking?

Giant zebras indeed.
MomochiNaruto chapter 4 . 4/26/2010
Actually, it's not a given that McGonagall's transformation would violate the first law of thermodynamics. The problem isn't the initial transformation. It's: where the hell did all that energy go? and how does she call it back?

Sorry, old joke. The standard 'Animorphs' explanation would work, i guess, but where the hell...

This is good.
MegaB chapter 4 . 4/26/2010
HAHAHAHA!

Patronising Harry. That was the most awesome back-and-forth discussion I have read! It says a lot that intelligent writing must come from an intelligent writer!

And that is also one of the most original 'get rich-quick' schemes in a HP fic. This kid could run a magical-Mafia and end up ruling the world. I really, REALLY want to see how Hermione acts now!

This is so enjoyable!

~B
judy chapter 4 . 4/21/2010
he's like a little kid, but with a very big vocab. cute!
TxA-GunFighter chapter 4 . 4/19/2010
Very good chapter.

Gunny
Shad chapter 4 . 4/18/2010
I luv this rational Harry!
Sethus chapter 4 . 4/16/2010
This version of Harry reminds me so much of my good friend Jon in his childhood. Willing to argue and bend the rules if his logic fit it.

I love it, amazing characterization!
Makurayami Ookami chapter 4 . 4/11/2010
well written. hehe.
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 4 . 4/10/2010
Excellent yet again. I am looking forward to see if your Harry chooses to... *play* with the wizarding economy. It would be quite entertaining.
Cesy chapter 4 . 4/10/2010
I love this so much, particularly the exchange rate and hedge fund bits.
RebeccaRoy chapter 4 . 4/9/2010
Oh my I know children like Harry, amazingly smart and good with a bargan, most started at the age of five with logical agruments!
Wordlurker chapter 4 . 4/6/2010
Pure awesome in written form. That's what this is.
Thyrokio chapter 4 . 4/5/2010
Pretty damn awesome, I really like how you write McGonagall and pretty much evryone else too.
roshane chapter 4 . 4/2/2010
this chapter was good that harry is smooth.
tatewaki2000 chapter 4 . 4/2/2010
T_T

SO beautiful!

Oh em gee.

It's been months since I've read such a well written fic. :3

Oh my. I'm all a flutter.
Hpfan chapter 4 . 4/2/2010
Actually, I think the 7 galleon wand works well with Rowling's ratio. There were two handmedown wands in the books. Neville's and Ron's. Neville carried his father's wand not so much for want of money, but because it was his father's. Ron used Charlie's old wand for his first and second years. After it broke, his family was able to afford a replacement. This tells me that the cost of a wand was something a poor family could afford but would rather not pay for if they could avoid it.
ladywinterfic chapter 4 . 4/1/2010
lol. omg. XD brill.
Orchamus chapter 4 . 4/1/2010
Lol, I love that a goblin was looking at Harry with respect.
Minke chapter 4 . 3/31/2010
Oh my word - I haven't even gotten past chapter two and I'm laughing so hard my co-workers are looking at me funny. (Hey it's my lunch break & I'll spend it how I want to). This is fabulous! Must read more now ... will review more later.
ROBERT-19588 chapter 4 . 3/30/2010
Since when is McGonagall Harry's parents an can deside thangs for him?

All Harry has to do is bring his dad to Gringotts and get loads of money.
liareh chapter 4 . 3/27/2010
Ch 4 Review:

Got to learn two new terms - arbitrage and seigniorage ( knew the concept never the names) and once I started reading about those, I found myself torn between finshing with ur fic or all the material and references and further references links on those and more in finance. And would u believe it? I chose ur fiction. Just opened like 10 new tabs with new links with finance stuff and went back to reading ur fic. Love it. Really.

Harry is behaving like a kid with a christmas list to write. He wants everything, ofcourse, he is all for reasonability though.

Love the last lines - "But oh, Professor McGonagall, why rain on my parade? ...not that I'm accusing you of being ungrateful or anything, but still, what are a few toys compared to that?"

I might just have to agree with Griphook and ask to have him locked in the vault :)
bissek chapter 4 . 3/26/2010
The arbitage thing actually has happened on a grand scale at least once in history. During the final days of the Shogunate, Japan considered gold to be roughly five times more valuable than silver. Europe and North America at that time considered gold to be roughly 15 times more valuable than silver. Currency speculators managed to extract about 70 tons of gold out of the Japanese economy before the Shogunate managed to get them to stop (by debasing their gold currency to make their coinage exchange comparable to everyone else's), causing a major economic crisis.
KuMardagg chapter 4 . 3/25/2010
You have a skilled grasp on humor. VERY nice!

Good to see that while HP might have advanced logic skillz, McGonagall can still counter it with a heavy application of Adult Authoritah.

Very enjoyable story!
MightyMyte chapter 4 . 3/23/2010
Oh my effin' Gawd! I laughed my ass off when Harry convinced McGonagall to let him take the extra money for a book shopping spree. I love your story. The Harry genius is my favorite type, so I'm gonna leave you alone and keep reading now.
David M. Potter chapter 4 . 3/22/2010
too funny
yoyoente chapter 4 . 3/20/2010
*grins* "Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ran out of money, or had a week free." *snorts* Oh dear lord...I can't tell you how long it takes me to get through your chapters...I tend to have to stop reading for eriods of time simply so I can catch my breath...
Hahukum Konn chapter 4 . 3/20/2010
XD I love this fic and particularly this chapter, though Harry was somewhat OTT, I felt.

The commentary on the insulation of the wizarding economy from the Muggle one is interesting. I have my own ideas on the subject, in which Gringotts holds the exchange rate on a managed-float mechanism much like the Chinese government does to the Yuan renminbi; in effect, Gringotts can fix the exchange rate and only periodically adjust the value as necessary.

But anyway, on to your next chapter :)
hordac85 chapter 4 . 3/17/2010
wonderful
Nongarak chapter 4 . 3/15/2010
Oh lordy. This is an amazing story, one filled with awesomeness and hilarity. Keep up the good work.
happylady chapter 4 . 3/14/2010
I am so glad I found this story. It is so very funny I like

this Harry and the Professor is having a hard time dealing with his logic. Post more soon

Until next time

Gloria
Heidinanookie chapter 4 . 3/14/2010

lol! I love this notion! I think this story can turn into something very, very interesting. I can't wait to read what Harry will say when he encounters Voldemort. I'm positive that when he's through with Voldi, the Dark Lord won't know what hit him. Harry will just talk him into the ground (Villains - and Voldemort is no exception - are known to gloat and thereby miss their chances. On top of that Harry will give him no time to think. This is going to be SO good! *evilgrin*)

heidi
Cassandra30 chapter 4 . 3/13/2010
hee hee Harry did well! Loved it! He can always go back get more!
whitehound chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
Great fun, but I'm afraid it's cast-iron canon that Galleons aren't worth very much, so they must not be real gold - gold-plated, maybe, but not gold. The prices on the backs of Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through the Ages are stated in both wizarding and Muggle money and they work out at a Galleon being £3.

That's very low for the purchasing power they seem to have so we must assume that £3 is their value on the exchange rate, and £5 is their purchasing power.

I don't see what the problem is with wands being worth £35 and children using second-hand wands. £35 is an enormnous amount of money of you're poor. For me that's all the free money I have for a month and that's *now* - nearly twenty years ago when Harry first went to Diagon Alley £35 was an even larger sum.
Memories-of-the-Shadows chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
He is a very sweet and endearing child, isn't he? He reminds me so much of myself. Books truly /are/ always alright (yay alliteration) to bribe people with.
duj chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
I notice she chooses *not* to do a great service to the wizarding Britain and perhaps the entire world. She'll probably regret this when he has that free week he was musing about.

I think rationalist-Harry should have taken his spending-money in Sickles and kept the Galleons for exchanging in the Muggle world, since the gold rate is so favourable.
clockworkchaos chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
Actually, buying the trunk early could be foolish, depending on the depreciation rate of the trunk, advances in enchanting on the trunk, and the interest rate of Gringotts.

Given Harry is probably going to buy said trunk for utility,rather than looks, and can afford to buy a well made one, we can assume the depreciation rate will be negligible.

The advances in enchanting, by contrast, is not. Given the different broom models we can assume that there are actual advances in enchanting. (thought not necessarily huge ones, a car from 2002 isn't that much greater than one from 2003). That's actually a fascinating thing about the potterverse wizards, it's an actual society instead of the traditional "isolate practitioners" (with a few groups here and there) that tend to dominate magical literature. It's actually a shame that the evidence of no-stagnation in magic isn't explored more in fantiction, but I'm getting off topic.

Gringotts keeping all the money in a vault does not speak well of there likely interest, and it may even be possible they charge a hold fee, in none of the money is used for investment.

On the other hand that assumes that they actually hold all the money. Given the shown evidence of teleportation, moving walls this may not be accurate. Perhaps (like other banks) they actually only hold a fraction of the total wealth, and use magic to insure that the wealth is shifted to any vaults about to be opened. Thus giving the illusion of holding all the money while still allowing them to use the investments a bank needs to stay profitable.

Granted all potential costs have to be weighted against the utility Harry will get during the years he otherwise wouldn't have it which seems high at this point, so it's likely a sound investment.
more secrets chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
This story is so hilarious it made milk come out my nose, I was laughing so hard. And I wasn't even drinking milk at the time! I can't understand all of what Harry is talking about, but I trust you... may I have some more please?
BellaDrogo chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
Alright, so I can't decide if Harry is going to be a hero or a villian and I kind of like that I can see him as both in this story so far. He is way too brilliant for his own good and I am realy excited to see what kind of havoc he reaks on Hogwarts, particularly Snape. Keep with the updates and the story. They rock. I hope this adds a little jolt of happiness to your life. Good day.

Marbear
blue artemis chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
Wow. They certainly weren't bargaining for this Harry. "Harry filed away this notion in case he ever ran out of money, or had a week free." That line was one of the funniest things I've read in a while.
DaBear chapter 4 . 3/10/2010
Ok, the ending of this chapter is hilarious. I almost did a spit-take.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 4 . 3/9/2010
Good chapter.

}} "Why act the part of the grumpy grownup when instead you could smile and

}} remember your own innocent childhood..."

:) Harry really should be giving lessons to Slytherins. Although McG's reaction was OOC. She was quite susceptible to similar blarney in HP2, and not unsympathetic in most of the series.
noylj chapter 4 . 3/9/2010
Your McG is as big and asshole as in canon. What a nasty bitch, trying to take on parent/guardian duties that are beyond her pay level. She and Bumbles pretty much sum up the wort of the WW-they always are convinced of their own correctness and all others must bow to their awesomeness. Except, that McG NEVERS questions Bumbles who breaks the law.

I would really hate to see what would happen if any teacher ever took that attitude with my child regarding my child's property.

I hated Bumbles when he dropped of his kidnapped child and dumped the baby on a doorstep. Then I lost any respect for McG when she simply agreed with breaking every law on child care and left the baby with the worst sort of Muggles. From there, I don't think there was a single adult in the WW that I could have any respect for. I hope Harry sees how flawed and illogical the whole WW is. He should arbitrage silver and gold for all he can and bring the whole stupid economy down. Of course, if things were properly priced in the WW (given a gold based economy, all items would have to be priced correctly to match resources...It is like back in the 1880's you could buy a Colt Single Action Army Revolver for a bit under a $20 gold piece and you can still buy a Colt Single Action Army Revolver for that same $20 gold piece...it is just that in terms to worthless paper money, it will cost $1500-20).
Meteoricshipyards chapter 4 . 3/9/2010
Harry playing McGonagall, wonderful!

Love the story. Good luck with it.

Tom A.
Unclouded chapter 4 . 3/9/2010
Oh this story looks very good indeed. I was recommended this as a smart!Harry fic and I always tend to enjoy them. Especially enjoy the wit and intelligence of this Harry. Thanks for the fic and I look forward to your future chapters.
bloocheeze chapter 4 . 3/8/2010
ohmygosh, this is amazing. I love logical!Harry; he makes everything funnier. Although, his knowledge may be a bit much for a 10/11 year old, don't you think? :\ Well, I guess that depends on his environment and the way he was brought up... Hm. Oh well. It's entertaining, so who am I to complain?

This is a pretty original take on the HP world and I'm happy I stumbled upon it. :) I think the only other fic similar to this was that one HP/Marvel cross over... But I digress.

Your story telling skills are great and your sense of humor is similar to mine, so yay! :D Ahaha, and I'm actually learning something useful as I read this, so that's a plus too. I don't have too much to say (or rather I'm too lazy right now to write a full out review/critique, ahaha ._.; ) so I'll just end with this: You're a great writer and I hope to see you update soon!

'Cause I really wanna see Harry at Hogwarts, kukukuku BD
Jollybird chapter 4 . 3/7/2010
Seems to be a very promising story.

Looking forward for your next update! :D
ryuou chapter 4 . 3/6/2010
I was laughing on the floor by the end of this chap, please continue.
Wedge12 chapter 4 . 3/6/2010
Reading about Harry trying to charm McGonagall into letting him take out more money using logic was the funniest thing Ive read all week.

Keep up the good work.
Ceralyn chapter 4 . 3/6/2010
I can't even imagin where you got the idea for this fic - but it's just great.

It will be interesting to see Harry and Hermione meet. Look forward to reading more
Shadow Kitsune11 chapter 4 . 3/5/2010
I just found this story for the first time and I have to say that it is funny. Keep coming with the updates.
Cinnamon Selkie chapter 4 . 3/5/2010
~From just outside the door of the vault, McGonagall watched him, seeming to lean casually against the wall, but her eyes intent. Well, that made sense. Being plopped in front of a giant heap of gold coins was a test of character so pure it was archetypal.~

True, but if that were part of McGonagall's thought-process, I seriously doubt she got the reaction she was expecting.

~It was too bad that he was right in the middle of discovering the amazing new world of magic, and couldn't take time out to explore the amazing new world of being rich, which a quick Fermi estimate said was roughly a billion times less interesting.~

Definitely Ravenclaw rather than Slytherin. Although the last bit was rather Slytherin, it was cunning in the pursuit of knowledge rather than knowledge in teh pursuit of power. Cinnamon.
Aries The Ram chapter 4 . 3/5/2010
He just had to ruin it didn't he? I'd actually consider him a snake with all that unabashed ambition and cunning, but dirty Ravenclaw/Grey Harry is also acceptable.

Can't wait for more.
reader1writer1 chapter 4 . 3/5/2010
This is brilliant...in case you had any doubt. I love it. :)
Zira Angel chapter 4 . 3/5/2010
Hahahaha!

This fic is hilarious and fantastic. I look forward to more :3
Vukk chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
One gallon equaling five pounds makes no sense any where in any of the books. The newspaper, wands, Arthur's fine, tri-wizard tournament, and the twins shop all would be little to no money. While you have a method which sounds decent for figuring out the amount of pounds a gallon equals, I looked at how much Hagrid payed for the newspaper. Being really conservative in the estimate, saying one knut payed for the newspaper being .25 pounds, one gallon would be 123.25 pounds. JKR would have the same paper cost about .01 pounds. For the same knut, your newspaper price would be about .10 pounds.

1 gallon 123.25 pounds

1 newspaper 1 knut

1 eight gallon wand 986 pounds

Arthur's fine for breaking major laws 6125.50 pounds

The champions knowingly risked their life for a 33% chance to win 123,250 pounds (they didn't know it would be 25% chance)

The twins started their shop for 123,250 pounds (minus Ron's robes).

The one which seems out of place the most is the car fine in Harry's second year, and even then, its still somewhat reasonable as Ron/Harry did break the law (with Arthur's illegally enchanted car). Harry truly never got in trouble for that...
Marla1 chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
I LOVE YOUR TAKE ON THIS STORY... this not one i have seen! I am an engineer so i truely appericate seeing this from a rational side, its so amsuing to me hehe. KEEP WRITING I CANNOT WAIT TO READ MORE OF THIS STORY!
Koinaka chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
I'm severely disappointed to be at the end of this lovely story! Please update soon :D
StoryTagger chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Haha, you know the scary part is that we the reader, nor Harry for that matter, truly know if those bounties have bee collected yet. I wonder how this Harry will react to the school and the students...I can honestly see his putting both Draco and Ronald into a brain overload...actually he could probably do the same to Hermione on what he knows now...scary
TBrad chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Loving this story. Just hope you don't mature Harry too much. Tired of these stories where Harry acts like a 40 year old man.
The French Dark Lord chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Luv it!
BenRG chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Heh. Very, very funny. Something tells me that this version of Harry is going to be a kick in the fundament for the Wizarding World in more ways than one. I think that the only reason they don't have to worry about him going Dark and taking over would be that he wouldn't find any challenge in it!

That said, I think he will be continually overturning assumptions and shredding the Laws of Magic for most of the next seven years. I also expect that the Ravenclaws will call him God.

Now... Is Griphook going to be getting free drinks for years on the story of the human boy who thought like a Goblin?

Very nice funny chapter. Looking forward to more to come.

BenRG's Rating: 7.5/10
DarkHeart81 chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
LOL Good chapter. Though I can't help wondering why Minerva has so much say in Harry taking money out of his account. I can understand her not wanting him to squander it away but, technically, she would have no say whatsoever. Plus, the trunk at the very least, is not something to get upset about since he would have to buy a trunk anyway so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to buy a better one than most students since he can easily afford it.
mwinter1 chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Please let there be a chapter with the professor explaining all this to the headmaster Flitwick, Snape and the others. As well as her talking about proving magic to Harry Potter. LOL that would be great.
Bob-san chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
HILARIOUS! I love your depiction of the mini super-genius! I'm looking forward to an update soon!
Errrrr chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Oh! I loved the way the chapter ended. I just couldn't stop grinning.
NATWEST chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
That was fun to read. Can't wait for the next. I hope you bring out the fact that Hogwarts is lacking in many things. Like why do they only teach light and not all magic. Compare them with other top rate school. Know his Father he will be doing that. There so much you can go with this. Because if he bite one teacher because there was not bright enough what will he do with Queiell?
hemotem chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
An interesting and enjoyable read I look forward to what Harry does in Hogwarts hehe.

Oh and if you are taking votes on house I would say Ravenclaw for 100 percent he is just too mush of a 'Smart'ass other wise. hehe.

I thank you for this as always I will look forward to reading more in the future.

Hemotem
OfTheGreenwood chapter 4 . 3/4/2010
Oh my god. LOVE this story. Could not stop grinning-can't WAIT for Harry to get his paws on Snape, Dumbledore, or anyone who calls him a nerd! ; )
Mariann's chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
Fun chapter :-)

I like how this overly logical and rational Harry works. Can't wait to see him clashing with Hermione's logic and rationalism, LOL! Gotta be fun, too.
cheekylildevil chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
You know, that really makes sense... I wouldn't have said that galleons were pure gold though, but that they were part gold, part alloy, it would have made more sense. I'm from Australia and we have 'gold' one and two dollar coins but I think that they are really nickel. Wouldn't it make sense then to just melt all the coins, sell them to muggles and then trade them back to galleons? You could keep doing that for an infinite amount of time, couldn't you?

Thanks for another wonderful chapter,

Indi
Star Bear chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
Very clever! I love the use of logic and science. I hope you are planning some serious pureblood lecturing.
digisammiegirl chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
"I would be doing a great service to wizarding Britain, Mr. Potter, and perhaps the entire world, if I locked you in this vault and left you here." Yep. Sounds about right.

I can't wait until you get Harry to Hogwarts. Oh the confused looks on people's faces!

Eagerly awaiting your next update!
ElldenStorm chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
I think the last portion of this last chapter would have been hysterical had you been commenting on Griphook listening to Harry and his expression therein. Great chapter!
hhrforeverhhr chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
o.. i love this chapter, even though its short, its still funny. i didn't think i could love this story anymore, and here you go proving me wrong.. update soon and i'll love it even more.