Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Puddin' Pop and his Jacks chapter 41 . 8/12
I obviously meant fictional and not non fictional in my review in the previous chapter.
mikewj93 chapter 41 . 4/24
this chapter was simply amazing. he WOULD drop her, haha!
ack1308 chapter 41 . 4/7
All hail the Drop Lord, the Heir to Slipperin.

Droppo Malfoyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... (thud)
so you bash ron to make draco a good guy for some stupid reason.
Yakosh chapter 41 . 12/26/2016
This isn't in any way Harry's fault... I'm fully of the opinion that Hermione falling was entirely her own fault, and possibly Draco's, but not Harry. They didn't have to follow him, they could have waited till he either came back to fight with some more tricks or Quirrel declared them the victors.
Jatok chapter 41 . 11/15/2016
I don't understand why he is apologizing, nor why he didnt shoot malfoy as he held onto hermione. When up against a superior force, running away is the only tactic that will allow survival, and if you can even the odds, victory. I hope she has read the art of war
The Anguished One chapter 41 . 6/19/2016
Draco and Hermione finally working together... I almost wished Draco hadn't dropped her so he'd have to ponder why he hadn't, but it doesn't bother me all that much. Still a fun chapter.
Guest chapter 41 . 6/13/2016
Snrk. I'm sorry, but you're making it really hard to take this fic seriously, what with all this. I am grateful for the smile, though.
Guest chapter 41 . 2/6/2016
matching 'insert Wand here for magic' tattoos! :-D
Guest chapter 41 . 1/30/2016
Well, he *did* get them to work together, at least.
Montara chapter 41 . 1/23/2016
"The next Drop Lord!" :))
Minty chapter 41 . 1/3/2016
You would've earned my respect by now if you hadn't already

Slipperin- it sounds like the shoe version of Slytherin, or some kind of slipper conspiracy group
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 41 . 12/7/2015
Aww, adorable. It's fun to see Draco and Hermione working together, and Draco realizing the problems with his prejudices. It's sort of a pity that they won, but Harry does need lessons like that.
ShadowLDrago chapter 41 . 10/20/2015
Heir of Slipperin. That was a bad pun. And it was glorious.
P. P. P chapter 41 . 9/13/2015
Ah, Granger is using the ancient art of guilt-tripping. If only I could learn the art myself.
Zyxis chapter 41 . 8/15/2015
XD THAT WAS THE BEST WAR. BUT I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED. DID HARRY WIN OR NO? I hope he did. I was rooting for him the whole way through. FOR CHAOS!
Kabs chapter 41 . 7/18/2015
This was incredibly funny, even the second time reading it
PA chapter 41 . 5/20/2015
Harry had it coming.
Village-Mystic chapter 41 . 3/26/2015
Okay - everyone's psychological objectives seem to be happening. Really nice series of character interactions. Good plot. Okay action.
Riniko22 chapter 41 . 2/20/2015
Oh she is evil.
philharmony chapter 41 . 12/31/2014
All hail The heir of slipperin! Hahahaha! This chapter was so funny!
MeiPhantomhive chapter 41 . 9/23/2014
Oh no...
Talkingbirdguy chapter 41 . 8/16/2014
The heir of Slipperin becoming the next Drop Lord? Very possible indeed XD
thepkrmgc chapter 41 . 8/2/2014
yay for the potter method of asymmetric warfare, and for malfoy brand practicality
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 41 . 5/21/2014
"Right now she was just feeling a sort of odd curiosity as to what would happen if she kept reading her book for a while."

Ooh, I know that feeling.
lemon-rind chapter 41 . 3/1/2014
Oh man, I'm just cracking up at the Drop Lord of Slipperin commentary. Just brilliant.
Talonis Wolf chapter 41 . 1/27/2014
That's it. EVERYONE IS A DEVIOUS, EVIL MASTERMINDING GIT.

Fred and George? Check.

Hermoine? Obviously.

Harry? Yep.

Draco? Check.

Their Parents(Step, Foster or Genetic)? Hell yes.

Dumbledore? In his own unusual way.

What have you done? In some alternate reality, THIS FIC IS REAL, AND THE FUTURE IS DOOMED WHEN THEY TRY TO INVADE OUR REALITY!

In all seriousness, did you increase the intelligence of /everyone/? You were right when you said that AU was the closest to describing it, but that is not even close to doing it justice. You are pure friggin awesome, and I'm proud to have said I've read this fic.
Grizzmon chapter 41 . 1/14/2014
So, another date then?
567zoock67 chapter 41 . 11/29/2013
Haha, 'right now she was just feeling a sort of odd curiosity as to what would happen if she kept reading her book for a while' - I take it that Hermione isn't too bothered by the experience, and she finds Harry's apology amusing enough not to take it seriously, and she's just wondering how desperate he is to apologize?

'If there was any way for a door to creak open apologetically, that was how the door was creaking open' - Really good line that, instead of using a personification that may be a bit far fetched, you turned it into a humorous line that still got it's point across. :D
Dyrssdytshrdsdhttsdh chapter 41 . 11/25/2013
do you refuse to let harry win?
loxi9 chapter 41 . 10/17/2013
"Despite the surprised protests
of both generals, the soldiers of the combined army
had insisted on calling themselves Dramione's
Merlin's frostbitten balls! This is pinnacle of fanfiction!
addikhabbo chapter 41 . 8/19/2013
FABRAWUSEMUS!
L.E chapter 41 . 5/14/2013
Very fun stuff. There is rather excellent comic on XKCD dot com that I was reminded of in this chapter. It goes something like:

Woman: "we are out of cat litter."
Man: "so, it has come to this."
[it turns out you can respond with "so, it has come to this" to almost any statement, and it will still be true.]
RussianDestruction chapter 41 . 4/29/2013
"Dramione's Sungon Argiment, and produced patches for their insignia of a smiling face wreathed in flames." I died laughing, which woke up the sleeping boy i'm nannying for today, making me have to rock him back to sleep again. YOU rock! :P Sooo funny.
"What if Malfoy is - the heir of Slipperin?"
"The next Drop Lord!" said Tracey.
Which was far too good a line for anyone to keep to themselves, so by nightfall it was all over Hogwarts, and the next morning it was the Quibbler's headline." ALSO amazingly hilarious!
StrangeoneXD chapter 41 . 12/21/2012
Amusing, Draco is growing a heart? And Hermione is growing cruel/evil ish
voodooqueen126 chapter 41 . 8/2/2012
Clever girls. and right to about Malfoy.
This is why Lily was correct to go with James and not Severus: because she knew she would be miserable with someone who would call her mudblood. but not with someone who was mean to someone who knew a heap of dark magic.
Satirica chapter 41 . 7/25/2012
"That's because you don't have the tiniest smidgin of romance in you," said Tracey. "Besides, you can't just go dropping girls. A boy who'd drop a girl like that... he'd drop anyone. He'd drop you, Pansy."

"What d'you mean, drop me?" Pansy said.

Daphne couldn't resist any more. "You know," Daphne said darkly, "you're eating breakfast one day at our table, and the next thing you know, Malfoy lets go of you, and you're falling off the top of Hogwarts! That's what!"

"Yeah!" said Charlotte. "He's a witch dropper!"

"You know why Atlantis fell?" said Tracey. "'Cause someone like Malfoy dropped it, that's why!"

Daphne lowered her voice. "In fact... what if Malfoy's the one who made Hermione, I mean General Granger, slip in the first place? What if he's out to make all the Muggleborns trip and fall?"

"You mean - ?" gasped Tracey.

"That's right!" Daphne said dramatically. "What if Malfoy is - the heir of Slipperin?"

"The next Drop Lord!" said Tracey.

Best conversation. Ever.
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 41 . 7/1/2012
I loooove your story and your battles, but CAN HARRY PLEASE JUST WIN ALREADY? Hahaha. I HATE HAVING HIM BEATEN BY DRACO AND HERMIONE - HE SHOULD BE SMARTER THAN THAT ARRRRRRRRGHHH. Hahaha, stresses me out! Anyway, LOVE THIS. LOVE! Still cannot believe Quirrell - I've never seen him written like this, you might be the first author EVER to write a good Quirrell who isn't all pathetic!
Hardlyeverseestypos chapter 41 . 6/8/2012
s/stapped/strapped
treena-ivy-carter chapter 41 . 6/3/2012
I love this story.

D

Tree
Alltaros chapter 41 . 4/26/2012
Just realized what it is that's been bothering me- the spell for light isn't luminos. It's Lumos.
Dimensional Roamer chapter 41 . 3/11/2012
WHOO! I noticed you updated :D Right now, I am following the podcast, so I am not up to date. However, I am glad that you have updated, and will be posting again soon. From now on, I shall review based on the episodes from the podcast -just a heads up.

Wow, this was pretty funny actually, Hermione being dropped and all that. It's nice to see the easygoing friendship the three have though... kind of makes one wonder why "hermione granger, you are being arrested for the attemplted murder of draco malfoy" happened... Ok, I scrolled right to the end and looked :) Guess I'll have to catch up to find out.

Anyways, thanks for updating. DR
AR chapter 41 . 9/22/2011
I am above saying "aww"...I never say "aww"...you are making it very difficult NOT to say "aww"..

...

...

Awwwww
ironhair chapter 41 . 8/29/2011
for the previous chapter...

why did harry teach them that other trick anyway.. and if he had, planning to take them out when they followed, then he should have taken out draco with a simple luminous.

BAD STORY.. BADDDDDDD!

Btw, I liked the drop lord bit. wished the battles were a bit longer, esp the fun parts like the skateboard and the ball bearings..
ironhair chapter 41 . 8/29/2011
darn it.. I want harry to win one...
Fenrir666 chapter 41 . 8/25/2011
Hermione is pretty good at all of this...
Isa Knightwalker chapter 41 . 7/17/2011
Oh I love Draco and Hermione working together! Tbh, I'm not sure if this fic will have pairings and if so, if it will really be HHr or DHr now (since most people list that in the summary and you didn't). Not that I mind since I like both and in general I don't care much about the main character pairings as long as they are pretty well written. lol at the Dramione Army name at any rate and I loved how Draco did save her at first. Lovely chapter!
Death by manga chapter 41 . 6/7/2011
OK. I take it this is going to end up in a Love triangle with Harry, Hermione, and Draco. Now THAT would be a little cool to watch.

But something tells me that snape's gonna have to talk to Draco about being racist towards the girl you love, coming from his own personal experience.
SciFi43 chapter 41 . 5/5/2011
Here's the obligatory 'Love the story. Very original, unusual, entertaining, etc.'

Call me dumb but why is she mad? It was her choice to go out the window. She chose to drink (and trust) the potion. She is the one who slipped. She is the one who told Draco to drop her. So why is Harry apologizing?

Love, love, love that Draco dropped her! Bet old Lucy was proud.

Can't figure out why Harry is being such a wimp over it.

Oh yeah, great commentary by all the girls. So very realistic.
anaraz chapter 41 . 4/7/2011
"the heir of Slipperin"

"The next Drop Lord"

great names!

I can't belive that draco dropped her. well I can' but I can't.
Markus Ramikin chapter 41 . 2/19/2011
"But Harry's soldiers had all blackened their own insignia - it didn't look like paint, more like they'd burned that part of their uniforms - and they'd fought all through the upper levels of Hogwarts with a desperate fury. The cold rage that Draco sometimes saw in Harry had seemed to trickle down into his soldiers"

Can someone explain that part to me? How did he do that, inspire them like that? I understand Harry used up a lot of his tricks for this one, and got cold and fought seriously - but not everyone has mysterious dark side. How did he turn his soldiers into Sardaukar?

I wanna know because whatever it was, it was awesome.
E.A.V chapter 41 . 11/29/2010
oh, yes. This is wonderful!
AspergianStoryteller chapter 41 . 11/3/2010
Lol. Nice Slytherin dorm commentary.
Indigo Ziona chapter 41 . 10/28/2010
Smiley faces wreathed in flame...

"Do it," Hermione Granger whispered, her eyes blazing without a single trace of fear, "do it, Draco, do it, you can beat him yourself we have to win Draco!"

You made a world in which this is believable. Well done.

The heir of Slipperin. LOL.
Faranda chapter 41 . 10/21/2010
An excellent chapter, it feels like a candy after the fantastic but pretty exhausting "Pretendig to be Wise". And Harry's scheme to get Malfoy and Granger fight together is simple, but very well done - it's a scheme, isn't it ?
Kutta chapter 41 . 10/13/2010
Great chapter
GradStudent chapter 41 . 10/12/2010
Not to nitpick again, but, actually, the little metal balls are just balls. A bearing is a mechanism used to join two surfaces such that they move freely with respect to each other. For instance, a rotating shaft might be coupled to a non-rotating body, such as the frame of a car or a robotic arm with a bearing.

A ball bearing consists of two grooved rings, between which a set of balls lies. The balls rotate between the rings allowing them rings to move freely with respect to each other, with very very low friction. Another sort of bearing that one commonly sees is a needle-roller bearing, in which the two rings are wedged around another ring with rollers on it.

Many people confuse this point and refer to the metal balls as ball bearings, but it's the entire assembly, the two rings with the balls mounted between, that is a ball bearing.
LunaSlashSea chapter 41 . 10/8/2010
Excellent chapter
Eli Courtwright chapter 41 . 10/2/2010
Your aftermaths with the girls in Slytherin are hilarious. They really sound like the kind of things that adolescent children would say to one another. Like back in Chapter 16, when Draco refers to some other children as "Gryffindorks" - that was so perfect because it's exactly the kind of thing an 11 year old in Slytherin would say. This kind of human touch is one of the most entertaining parts of your story.
Rebel Goddess chapter 41 . 9/22/2010
Drop Lord? Oh good gods. That's hysterically funny. I loved the Gecko gloves. Just a guess after the wonderful underwater chapter, but have you been reading Ender's Game? Harry is really making me think of it.
ejhawman chapter 41 . 9/11/2010
Good connecting chapter. Liked the embellishment of the Slytherin common room with the window on the lake. Rowling should have thought of that.

Assuming one of the Carrows had children. I've seen authors posit Bellatrix had a daughter - she said she had no sons, but left the possibility of a daughter. Oddly, few other authors give children to the other Death Eaters beyond those mentioned in canon.

"Drop Lord"? A bit lame to me. But they're eleven years old.
Morbious20 chapter 41 . 9/5/2010
Awesome chapter
aaronmicalowe chapter 41 . 9/3/2010
Sam Buca

oh my god!

what planet do you come from? please return and don't dare come back haha

less - i've never known anyone attract so many weirdos. how do you do it? i guess every island of sanity is surrounded by an ocean of madness 9_9
Bob chapter 41 . 9/3/2010
You know, I find it unlikely that there are many people in the world who would never after ANY point decide that it would be a good time to die.

I would believe that either way, but one thing that comforts me about death is that for me and most people I know, the world would be a slightly better place with us having never existed. The MAJORITY of the world's problems at the moment are caused by overpopulation and I've barely met anyone who's made enough difference to the world to counter the very slight reduction of resources, etc. caused by their existence.

Not to mention that in a world where ghosts exist, the mere possibility of an afterlife (presumable one better in some way) would be enough to make dying worth a try for most people.
Cecelia chapter 41 . 8/29/2010
Isn't the lighting charm "lumos," not "luminos"?
jdboss1 chapter 41 . 8/29/2010
Whether you like or dislike same-sex romance, adding it at such a late chapter does nothing but undermine and overshadow your established rationalist theme with 'SLASH' because it is such a hot-button issue in our current society. I don't want SLASH, I want to read great insightful moments of rationalism. They are plenty of other fics with good SLASH, but only one fic with good rationalist Harry. Please don't ruin it.

I don't want to see Draco and Harry kiss. I don't want Hermione and Daphne to compare breast development vs age with transfigured Poisson charts. I don't want a pedo-orgy of 11 year olds. I don't want elaborate descriptions of wizarding dildos, cannibalism, or rape. Just keep writing that rationalist story I like and avoid blatant sexual issues until main character age fourteen (at minimum). Being shocking is not the same as being interesting, and it turns off more readers than it brings in.

No slash. NO slash. No slash. NO slash. NO slash. PLEASE No slash. NO slash.

Love Hermione in this Chapter
Nongarak chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
Very nice. I like this, and I can't wait to see what the result is. Good job.
sarah-rose76646 chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
first of all, your writing style makes you appear extreamly wise. I have read stories of authors in ff whose idea of wisdom was things the Merlin, or someone who was Merlin in their fiction said, or maybe hogwarts founders, and dumbledore of course. But, none of them had as intriuging idea/plot as yours, in my opinion. More often than not, If they wanted to solve something that is not solved in J.K. Rowling's, they made it appear as if the answer was always in front of them, but only the main character was smart enough to see it and use it, in over a millenium of magical history. Or maybe totally make something ridiculus and call it a solution. And after feeling reading this story, i must say that your theories and concept about science is very precise and very obviously scientifically proven. The theories on magic however are really a work of art. I was very frustrated with this story in some chapters and very happy in others, but even when i was on the verge of discontinuing reading further, i still read the next chapter because i am a very curious person and it was the helplessness to add or help something in the fic to make it richer, was what was frustrating to me, not the plot or situation. I have finally decided to stop reading at a safe point that i can take as a happy ending (with an open end or possible sequel) and still keep my curiosity sated and not poke further.

So, i thank you for a brilliant scientific fic, and i hope to see you some more at a later date. I had some questions too... BUT maybe some other time, perhaps?

With regards,

Sarah j

P.S. Last chapter i read was a debate about whether there is an afterlife. Well, i for one never want to find out personally. Afterall, i may not fear death, but i still want to live more.
Micheal Lancaster chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
this has made me believe, in this instance that Harry, planning for both Draco and Hermione to fall (hence the feather fall potions)knew that the chances of it happening where high. I honestly do not believe that Harry would apologize to Hermione when He gave Her the potions to ensure they wouldn't get hurt in the first place. But then again Harry is extremely careful to try to ensure no injuries to anyone (he got the healers pack for just the occasion in case of things like that)... Either way this story is shaping up to be incredible. I love it.
Warhawk Talon chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
I'm still cracking up regularaly! I had my doubts when you put him in Ravenclaw, but you've done beautifly. I loved all of the Warhammer 40K, Star Wars, and Ender's Game refrences you put in. Not to mention all of the times that you make fun of the original Harry's adventures. Keep it up!

P.S. The one thing I don't get is; almost everyone is acting the way the original characters would to the new Harry. So why is Quirrell so much more, I don't know, active then his original?
fontgoddess chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
This chapter was perfect. Unlike those who think that every battle should be described blow-by-blow, I believe that you cut straight to the meat of what was going to propel the story as a whole. The only thing that might have been useful was a small vignette of how Harry's acceptance of traitors affected the battle, but the story worked nicely without that.

The punning in the aftermath was absolutely fantastic. It also shows that Draco's actions will affect his relationships with his fellow students, especially witches.

Regarding your update schedule, I am satisfied with a schedule that allows you to give us content with which you're satisfied. Breaks of several weeks make me a little sad, but I'd rather you put out material that you are proud of on a schedule that allows you your comfort and sanity. To paraphrase some advise given by Neil Gaiman, you are not my bitch. You don't owe me shit, and it's lovely that you're sharing quite a wonderful story with me instead of doing whatever other activities you could be doing. So, thank you, sir, for the story in whatever form and on whatever schedule pleases you. If I, as a reader, ever become whiny and demanding, please ignore me or tell me to shut up.
argenttmccall chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
you have no idea how long it took me to read all 41 chapters of this story. but it was well worth it. i would LOVE to see Harry actually grovel for Hermione's forgivness, that would be PRICELESS! amazing story you have here, please update soon!
Jeremy chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
I vote for longer updates, even if it takes longer. I like to get involved in characters and I can't if the chapter ends so soon.
Janneia chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
OH. MY- ALL. THAT. IS. GOOD. AND. HOLY.

Last line EPIC FTW. :D

x333

Yeah. [/random][/abuse of capslock]
him-mione chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
I prefer longer chapters to shorter chapters...if you could post long chapters frequently...unfortunately, that's probably not the case.
SlightlyMoreWrong chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
Dammit! Will you stop with all that Harry-Malfoy-Hermione-Dumbledore-Quirrell and focus on the Magic-Science-Rationality-Time travel please?
Where the gras is greener chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
Is it appropriate to chuckle with evil glee? Schadenfreude, even? If not then I'm sporting a malicious grin nearly tearing the corners of my mouth open.

As for the update cycle: I don't know how other readers think on it but I'd like to see the shorter chapters and interludes 'immediately' (as in after editing is done) rather then waiting for them to be posted in front of the larger multiple part updates. I have no qualms waiting for them but I at least cannot appreciate them fully when to much themes are dealt with in a single update.

Other than that, I very much like your story and am just the tiniest bit short of starting on your blog.

Have a nice day!
Arkh Cthuul chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
mwahahaha... Damn, "The new Drop Lord" had me laugh far too loud for my taste (at this time of day that is).

Hilarious.

Also: I didnt want to encourage shorter Chapters, jsut a more stable and frequent update shedule. Just to clarify. ;)
Kalorlo chapter 41 . 8/27/2010
Oh, this fic is excellent! You've made me laugh out loud with glee and I really love the application of scientific methods to HPland. You have some wonderful character versions here and tasty twisty plots.

I found it because it was mentioned on Mark Reads Harry Potter when he asked for fanfic recommendations. I'm kicking myself for not checking the dates, though! If I'd known it was a current in-progress fic I'd have made myself slow down reading it. Now I'll have to join the impatient crowds :)
Phoenix Flight chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Wow.
This is my name chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I'm glad you updated so quickly, but now the cliff-hangers are so much worse! We all want to know what will happen next!

Keep on writing. Please, for the good of all of us.
firedraygon chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Heee, love aftermath 1. Heir of Slipperin! I wonder what Draco's reaction to that title was. Very awesome work!

~fd97
Curly chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
And now Harry is a sissified femboy who grovels at girls' feet. I hope this doesn't mark a permanent change of direction for the character. Like the unedited version of Chapter 19, it's kind of a story-killer for me.
Dureth chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Excellent chapter, as always. Loved the new battleground. Also, I do strongly prefer shorter more frequent updates; that way I have the CHOICE of whether to read them as soon as they come out or once a week as they would come out otherwise. Also, it greatly brightens my day to see the alert that your chapter has been updated- I like to have that happen more often, as the effect is determined by frequency and not size of updates.
Unsigned chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
The Heir of Slipperin! Does he speak Pasliptongue?
Anonymous chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Excellent, as always.

On the note of small updates vs large ones, as much as I appreciate the small updates, part of what makes your fic great is the author's note. They help expand my understanding of the science and philosophy behind it all, and when you do many small updates, it is plausible that some author's notes may be missed. If you would archive the author's notes on some external site, that would be great for those people who miss a chapter update and miss out on all the notes. It will also be very useful for those people who just found your fic, because the notes will help put things in perspective. Just my perspective on the small vs large update schemes.
Pentecost chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Funny chapter. Really quite enjoyable.
deloriantimewizard chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
yeah, this chapter was really jumbled.

and regardless of how much time it takes, you should actually write out the battle scenes.

you've not written about 5 major scenes, and that is a definite mark against this story.

I still read your story, and i love the science, but come on, your writing skills are better than this. then again, maybe not, and that's what we're running into as readers. sad
emanon chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Dramione? Ugh. Just lost my dinner.

And Harry seems to be taking a lot of chances other peoples lives for the sake of a game. I mean, sure, he just so happened to teach Hermione about the gloves the day before, along with giving her a couple doses of potion. But what if she forgot the potion going into battle. It's not like she planned to be using it. It didn't even dawn on her that Harry would go out the window until he did. Therefore, she wouldn't have had the potion, and so she would have fallen to her death.

Also, the battle locations are getting more extreme. Would Dumbledore, and the rest of the staff, allow 11 year olds to run across icy rooftops? Even with magic, thats just stupid and irresponsible.
Grammatiknazi chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
"the Slytherin girl's common room"

The apostrophe is in the wrong place; it should be after the s, because the room belongs to all the girls (it is in fact "common" to them), not to just one of the
William H. Stoddard chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Hogwarts has minarets? Built by Salazar Slytherin after he became a Muslim, perhaps?
SirKaid chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I have to admit, for half a second I thought Draco wasn't going to drop her.

As far as frequent versus large updates goes, I'll toss my vote in for large, for one small reason: I can only check for updates once a week at best and I like reading the author's notes, so if you update more frequently than that I miss out on them. If the notes were archived somewhere else, I would swing my vote the other way though.
iwannabeX chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
hahaha ok the end is just too good XD
NougatEvolution chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Muscles aching from laughter at Aftermath 2. Also, I want to make a patch for Dramione's Sungon Argiment.
Luiz4200 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Drop Lord? Hilarious!
The Wolf's Shadow chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Haha. :D Harry is a genius, but Hermione is her own kind of genius too. That last part was classic. :D
witowsmp chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
...are you going to let your brain run your life?

the heir of Slipperin?

"The next Drop Lord!

A lot of funny lines in this chapter.
Jonathan H chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Nice, tightly written chapter. I especially enjoyed the comic interlude about the "Heir of Slipperin."

As long as the ratio of long, involved chapters to short interludes doesn't change, I don't care whether you post multiple chapters at once or one at a time. Actually, upon reflection, I slightly prefer more frequent installments.
livvie333 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I prefer lots of words at once to lots of updates, so I'd rather have it updated on the weekend only. But it's your awesome story and I'm glad just to be able to read it so do whatever you'd rather do.
Athla chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
The Next Drop Lord!

That was the greastest thing I have read in a long time.
skyace chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
NO FREAKING WAY MAN. OH MY GOD. Well, this will go down as one of my favorite chapters, even if it _is_ only an interlude. Looking forward to the next update! I want to see what Harry comes up with to apologize lol.
Madork Gunna chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Ah, planning, scheming and accidents like these remind me why I find Chaos so alluring... but then I take one look at their... less tasteful sides, and I realise I'm doing the right thing by following, quote, 'Gork, Mork an' da Empra' unquote.
The-Rogue-Otaku chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
It's nice that you took the consideration of some of you readers for the short chapters; however, unless they're paying you I think both you and your readers would be happier if you write the story the way you want to.

I think you should post a chapter when you feel that it is complete instead of trying to appease those who want shorter chapters either because they just don't like them as a matter of preference or they just want an excuse to use in order to ask for quicker updates. Of course that's just my opinion and you're free to do what you want but I think it's something you might want to consider.

As far as this chapter went, I personally felt that it was a bit too short and didn't live up to the standards of your other chapters.
Miss Cow chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I'd rather you go back to the long chapters, because they seem more . . . what's the word? Oh, it just puts more into them when you have long chapters. I honestly don't mind the wait, and it's not even that long of one. I could hardly believe it when you said many reviewers thought it took too long. Too long is when the author hasn't updated in at least a month! Not just even less than ten days.
yamiishot chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Malfoy dropped her for real? Whoa.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
And I do hope you won't refrain from posting sweet scenes or scenes involving ~omg teenage girls~ in future because feelings are for foolish young females, not grown men who must only show interest in hard, tough, "well reasoned" storylines, whatever that even means. Not that I think you will; you've done such an excellent job preserving the assertive, no-nonsense personality of Hermione that I don't think you'd believe that anyone who identifies with her must be a swooning child with a bad boy complex. And why is it that relationship wish fulfillment is considered more frivolous than winning-battles-and-beating-people-up-with-logic wish fulfillment, anyway? I'm asking this as someone who actually prefers the latter.

That said, Harry's apologizing to Hermione is a bit over the top, isn't it? It's not like she got hurt.
RaeRae9 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I honestly think this is one of the best stories in fanfiction. I cant enjoy it more. Its like one of those stories that you dont want them to end, it could be hundreds of chapters long and i still wouldnt mind.

The best part is that although Harry is really intelligente and powerful his not like almighty, and thats a really common mistake in fanfiction. And i love Hermione , and i love the fact that Harry loves her too, and takes care of her, and then she is able to take revenge on him.

Are you just going to write Harrys first year or his whole stay in hogwarts? I hope is the second one.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I like the shorter installments. I prefer getting quick fixes of HPMoR every couple of days instead of a big chunk on the weekend. But you will be opening yourself up to some criticisms about lack of substance/development after a short chapter like this one, which you wouldn't have gotten if you'd posted it along with a big meaty chapter. I don't get it personally, this chapter is clearly labelled "Interlude," after all, but eh.

By the way, your A/N got a bit pissy near the end, when you brought up the TVTropes page :P
ilikebluepineapples chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Loved the suspense. I'm glad you kept the Hermione and Draco interactions realistic instead of having Draco actually hold on to Hermione. Besides, like Hermione said, they had to win, and it's not like she was going to actually get hurt.

The Slytherin girls are hilarious :)
groovy chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
sure wish this was longer and had more substance in this chapter
Loonynamelass chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I love the Aftermath sequences!
Lady of the Hunt chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
xD Nice! I wubs it!
Animekitty47 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Regardless of whether or not I did or did not like Ch. 39, I did like 41. It's sad it was shorter than the other battles, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. :) Draco's starting to change, even if he still managed to let go of Hermione.

And the Quibbler. lol That whole discussion. XP
Sarah chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Haha, I enjoyed the last few installments!

I don't like the short chapters - but, it's an easy compromise for me to just come after you've updated a few times. xD

I loved the conversations Harry had with the headmaster, and Quirrel. I'm sooo curious about whats going to happen with the Dementer! I mean, with the students - not it being a distraction. I like that your thoughts get me to think, though you do make me feel very dumb. xD

I DIDN'T WANT HARRY TO LOSE. I LIKE TRAITORS. But I have faith you'll keep it interesting.

I almost don't want you to go onto year two.

Thanks for sharing.
phoebe turner chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
great chapter!
Saltwater chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Okay uh, i dont ACTUALLY have the time to review right now, so i shall make it brief.

You win at fiction and the general practice of being interesting.

"Bright the sun, bright the air, bright the students and bright their parents, clean the paved ground of Platform 9.75, the winter Sun hanging low in the sky at 9:45AM in the morning on January 5th, 1992. Some of the younger students wore scarves and mittens, but most simply wore their robes; they were wizards, after all."

- I did not like this opening (like four chapters ago). That first sentence is kind of chaotic, difficult to grasp, and disorienting. Don't know if i'm just reading it wrong, or something, but there you have it. Thought i'd let you know my thoughts, even if i dont stay long enough to properly flesh them out.

And, as my final point, i do not wish for you to continue to post in small segments. I dunno about everyone else, but it seems dissatisfying to me. I prefer large, hunkfulls of writing lumped at me all at once to gorge on. Tiny, nibbly servings were never my thing, and its frustrating to read something that is incomplete. Reading this story chapter by chapter is hard enough, let alone now doing it partial chapter at a time!

Anyway thats just my opinion on the matter.

Which you should definitely prioritise over everyone elses. :D

Also, you win at fiction and the general practice of being - oh no wait, i said that already.

Well, BYE THEN.
shiro-wolfman-k chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
You know, I love what you do, but, Damn, 41 chapters and you are still in the first book? This is taking too much, so much that I am getting bored to tell you the truth.
Peregrinate chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Lol...Another excellent chapter. :D
SaintPeter chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Loved this chapter, even if it was shorter.

Heck, you could change the title to "Potters Game" and I'd be happy. I love the imaginative combat sequences and the extremes which it draws people to. 3 way combat is way more interesting than "Quiddich".
alli chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
i love this story!but i likethe longer chapers moree than what you are doing now.
NicNacs chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Snigger. Love it!

For the record, I prefer short chapters more often rather than long chapters infrequently, but then having said that, this is so good I'll take any of it any way I can.
Adam Shea chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
The question is: Who won? Did Draco wait too long and give Harry time to get him? Or did Draco drop her in time and get Harry?
Imagine Brittana chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Great chapter, it's good that we can see how well Draco and Hermoine work together. I can't wait for the next chapter, please update asap, keep up the amazing work.
Lemur chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Also, Harry groveling to Hermoine had fracking well better be part of a larger plan, unless your point is to show that Draco is better than Harry at overriding irrational fears. Sadly, it feels like a genuine Harry reaction, so either he's a good actor (which he is) and you're good at portraying it (which you are), or I am quite disappointed.
farwalker chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
This continues to be both wonderful and Adsurd.
Ensiferous chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Well that was a huge disappointment. The whole thing felt rushed and disjointed. You spent a lot of words describing the previous battles and now we get just a short chapter describing the end of the final battle, bit of a let down really, but the bigger issue is the short chapter, this is a travesty far larger than you can even comprehend, I'll try to explain.

To generalize a bit there are two types of people who read Harry Potter fan fiction. One kind enjoys a well written story in a wonderful universe, the other kind identifies heavily with one of the characters and enjoy escaping into the story.

The thing about these types is that the former is generally an older person while the latter is a younger person, generally 14, female and with a serious bad-boy complex.

The former person reads your story because it's funny and well reasoned, I'm not going to say perfect because the characters are too inconsistent and the plot not always coherent but it's never the less a good story to spend time on.

The latter person reads it because Draco is such a bad-boy and they identify with Hermione. They are hoping for a relationship where they can live out their lack of real-life relationship, the slightly more realistic ones hope for Draco/Harry slash.

While this is, of course, hugely generalizing it has proven true quite a lot in fan fiction. In case it wasn't obvious how this relates to short chapters. The former person prefers long chapters while the latter person prefers short chapters.

Please take your time with writing and posting, we don't need something once a week. Unless of course you'd rather appeal to the 14-year-olds. ;)
Entropic Specter chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Oh boy! Dramione's Sungon Argiment, the witch dropper, and those puns...

Thanks for another delicious chapter. Now, however will Harry handle /that/ situation, I wonder...

As usual, great work, keep it up and please update soon!
Thom Blake chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I find it amusing that some people believe this chapter is an example of Harry *losing*.

If Harry keeps losing like this, he'll rule the world in no time.
Lemur chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
In general, I like the larger updates, even if they're separated by a little more time. A two-week delay makes me worry irrationally that you're going to give up and stop writing. Fortunately, I can override this worry by reviewing your assurances that the things you haven't written yet would *eat you in your dreams*, should they never come to light. This allows me to relax and appreciate a larger story dose at a time.

Loving the whole "next Drop Lord" schtick. Slytherin, FTW!
AliS256 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Great chapter! I can't wait to read more!
Raven3182 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Good chapter. Since you asked, I think you should go back to posting longer chapters, or several of the smaller chapters that are closely connected at the same time. Yes that makes the wait between updates longer, but it also helps the reader remember what has happened recently and see small details and connections that might otherwise be over looked.

Just my two cents on the topic.
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Comment on comments: Of course Dumbledore wouldn't think about a population explosion or the advancement of science. Wizards aren't worried about either of them because those aren't issues wizards have thought of.

Comments on the story: I enjoyed it- both fun and funny.

I assume Harry engineered the situation where Draco wanted to not drop Hermione. I'm not sure Draco would have reacted that way- his visceral responses might not have adjusted to the idea that blood purity was wrong. On the other hand, if he'd dropped Hermione because it was the strategy to help both of them win, it still would have been cooperation. The only way it could have gone wrong would have been if he'd gleefully dropped Hermione, and he's probably too reflexively strategic for that.
lobocom chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
NO,NO,NO,NO...! Why do you always make harry lose? PLEASE! Give chaos a chance.
Silentwhistle chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Harry's a pansy, Hermoine's half-a-sue.. Hurrah! :S
Slicerness chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
devious girl isn't she?
CeilingFan chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
This story is difficult for me at times, because as much as I really like most of the characters, I really really like Harry. So I never see the questionable things he does as being all that bad. Really. I mean, he gave them the means to not plunge to their deaths! And Dumbledore was watching the whole time! (And they started it!)
phoenixluv chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
loved it.
deitarionSSokolow chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
For the record, I prefer longer chapters. It feels more substantial and satisfying if I get satisfyingly long chapters infrequently than if I get short chapters frequently, but not frequently enough to offset all the extra starting and stopping.

(Basically, I can wait however long it takes as long as each increment is satisfyingly long, but it's just frustrating no matter how quickly you update otherwise)

I did, however, enjoy the interlude... which is something that usually doesn't happen. I especially liked the aftermath views. The first one, I enjoyed the humor and, for the second, it was nice to see some characterization I haven't run across before in fiction. (The whole "no idea how he could apologize either" thing coupled with the "odd curiosity". I've seen similar outcomes, but never such a clear, non-retaliatory "odd curiosity" motivation.)
X Kronos X8 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I'm sorry, but it is getting REALLY fucking annoying on how Harry keeps losing like he does.

So fat, you have Hermione beating Harry in academics, and Draco in spell work.

So far, your Harry has been tortured, beaten, and all in all, in a state of constantly losing. On top of it all, he keeps forgiving the ones who do it to them.

In this chapter, you descried Harry as being coldly resolved. If he was so focused on winning, why would he gave up the win for Hermione.

He knew Dumbledore and Quirrell were there, so he had nothing to worry about. And, if he isn't even slightly annoyed at Draco for dropping her, that on top of everything else, would cause me to run out on Suspension of Disbelief.

On your profile, you mention the First Law of Fanfiction. I personally can respect that you follow it. BUT, the protagonist should have a slight break, at the very least. In your story, the only thing Harry does is lose.

Personally, that is my personal peeve with the story. Hopefully, someday Harry will start to do something other then losing.
Heidinanookie chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
ah, well. This chapter sort of redeems both Draco and Harry. Draco has obviously undergone a fundamental change in his attitude (or he discovered what it means to be human) and Harry showed by apologizing to Hermione that he isn't as cold and heartless as he seems most of the time.

Good work!

heidi
wisecurledqueen chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Thanks for the update. I love Harry's apology- or whatever he's doing, because it's hilariously like him having no idea what to say for this kind of apology. I wonder how far he'll go so she'll forgive him?

I also liked the heir of Slipperin and drop lord bit. Awesome lines.

Thanks!

-curledruler
ShaThief chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
enjoyed the chapter I vote for often updates regardless of size

Thanks for the update it made my night
badkidoh chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Another good chapter.

I wonder what will happen between Harry & Hermione?
Tiky3000 chapter 41 . 8/26/2010

This is the point where I started laughing out loud.
mikhail-ling chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Assuming your response regarding the population explosion point was directed to my earlier feedback - I don't see how inventing in alternative sources of energy or legislating that each couple only have two children will solve the issue related with immortality. Even if a couple had only two children in their lifetime, they'd still be around when their children have children, and so on - and throughout that timeframe they'd still be consuming resources. Immortality accorded to the entire human population is simply not a viable concept, not without drastic improvements in other corresponding science/technology/magic.

At any rate - I think you missed my point. My point was that Harry's thought processes are still reflective of his age and his life experience. His ideas suggest so. It's fine - it's good characterisation. He's still young, he lacks experience, and what he knows he learns from books. It's something you addressed explicitly previously. I'm just commenting that no - his utopia of non-dead would not be one I'd consider to be a utopia.

What I find unsatisfying of Harry's recent behaviour is that for a scientist, he seems to take a lot of things for granted. His entire rejection of ghosts being evidence of an afterlife seems premised on what he heard from Hermione. Did he confirm her claims? Did he look up what other magical authors have commented on the topic, if any? Has he considered whether there are physical limitations preventing outright interaction of people who've passed on and people who still live, hence explaining why Prof McG didn't behave as though his parents had "just gone away on a long trip"? Has he conducted any interviews with the existing ghosts in Hogwarts? Nearly-Headless Nick and the other ghosts, in canon, have actively interacted with students and were clearly not just mere afterimages. He simply took what Hermione said for granted, and reacted in an emotional manner, discarding the possibility of an afterlife altogether.

At any rate - this is just stirring a storm in a tea cup. It's only a minor point, and perhaps its necessary because, as you say, it'd be OOC for Dumbledore or Harry to behave in any other way in the debate. I still think your writing is awesome.
hjcallipygian chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Oddly enough, I can't decide which event I'm more excited for: the end of first year when I imagine Quirrellmort is revealed, or the beginning of second year, when Harry finally gets to meet Luna Lovegood.

I just may be leaning toward the second. I mean... And Harry thought his life was surreal before, right? )
SevereWrath chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Samuel Clamons? Is that a reference to Clemens, or someone else?

Ah, no, different Samuel (Author notes).

I do like Draco dropping Hermione. Interesting.
Violet Shadows chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Between witch droppers and Harry Potter's Choas Legion this story is pretty epic.
WeatherWatch chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
I'm intrigued to see what will happen if Hermione just keeps reading, too :P

This is so excellent.
AngelForm chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
Harry may be pretty good at playing the villain but its clear his hart isn’t in it.
just.like.jess chapter 41 . 8/26/2010
i want harry to win! will that be happening any time soon?
sarah-briarmoss chapter 41 . 8/26/2010