Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ack1308 chapter 46 . 4/7
Well, well, well.

Some very piercing and worrying truths.
Jatok chapter 46 . 11/15/2016
I hope we get back to unraveling the secreta of magic and becoming gods soon. I must admit to being incredibly interested. For science, of course.
The Anguished One chapter 46 . 6/21/2016
Harry giving Quirrell ideas about how to hide certain items... that could come back to bite him. Still, I'm excited to see what Draco's side has to tell Harry about Dumbledore.
dyooti chapter 46 . 6/3/2016
you are my new favourite person in this world
Montara chapter 46 . 1/23/2016
If he can kill dementors, the next step is to kill them all, no? Maybe when he's older though...

Dumbledore killed, indirectly, Harry's parents :
Grissina chapter 46 . 12/16/2015
I love that your Harry don't follow Dumbledore with eyes closed! I always feld like everybody loved Dumbledore and I was the only one who could not stand him!
I'm loving your story, thanks for sharing it!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 46 . 12/8/2015
Odd juxtaposition between the seriousness of the matter with the dementors and the silly playfulness of the girls arguing over Twue Love, but it works. Poor Hermione, though, she gets to deal with the fallout from that.
ShadowLDrago chapter 46 . 10/20/2015
I am interested to see what the others have to say about Dumbledoore.
Zyxis chapter 46 . 8/16/2015
You do an incredibly good job at keeping people's interest. Seriously, WOW. You've taken this down such a strange path, and I can't even describe how good this story is. Every single chapter I am surprised by what I read, and enjoy every moment of that surprise. I can't eat to see what happens when Harry starts asking about Dumbledore. w
Concolor44 chapter 46 . 6/7/2015
That would "bother me a great deal" too!
Guest chapter 46 . 6/2/2015
Harry's logic and deductive reasoning skills are on point in this chapter.
Guest chapter 46 . 6/2/2015
If Voldemort is in Quirrel . . . then Harry just told him a hell of a lot of places impossible to find his horcruxes.
PA chapter 46 . 5/20/2015
And so ... the plot thickens.
Guest chapter 46 . 4/23/2015
Harry said, "I thought of my absolute rejection of death as the natural order."
It's ironic that you would type that or that this Harry, a humanist atheist, would say that. I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian and we also reject death as part of the natural order of life. I like some of this story. Not all but some. It's well written and you have a good plot. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a Harry Potter fanfiction based in Hogwarts, this could be a stand-alone original piece of fiction.
Village-Mystic chapter 46 . 3/26/2015
Good plot and character threads.
keybounce chapter 46 . 3/6/2015
I have started reading this about 2 weeks ago. Harry's bad reasoning has not been horrible enough to make me comment, but at this chapter, I have to speak out.

First, the author notes are no longer available. The earliest AN I can find is for chapter 83. It's entirely possible that you pointed this out in your original AN for this chapter.

Harry took as an unstated assumption that only one person could have heard this prophecy at first, and it had to have been leaked from that one person to another.

In JKR's original, the first prophecy was heard by two people. Snape heard a portion of the prophecy, and ran off to tell his boss about what he heard. Harry completely discounted this - assumed that such behavior could not have happened - and drew a conclusion that cannot be supported from the evidence.

Harry is falling into the same traps that he has complained about others. The idea of coming to a conclusion, and refusing to question his beliefs.

This isn't the first time we've seen this. I remember the same thing when he and Draco were both confused by Hermione turning out to be the "perfect general" - and only Draco could say, "I am confused", and conclude that he had a wrong assumption.

I am going to re-read the dementor chapter. I think Harry did the exact same thing there when he concluded that he knew what a dementor really was.

In fact, re-reading this chapter, Harry makes a second critical mistake. He assumes that the Headmaster had no reason to tell the Transformations professor - but Dumbledore might have told a close friend that he trusted. Harry cannot actually see people as friends, only as their jobs/offices.

That, actually, fits everything we've seen from him since day one, including his idea that a friend is someone you will use and use again, instead of use once and toss aside.
GingerHannah chapter 46 . 1/15/2015
Did Harry Potter just tell Voldermort where to hide his horcruxes!
MeiPhantomhive chapter 46 . 9/23/2014
*beside Draco, wherever he is*

Angry people coming for you in 3...2...1... and-!
thepkrmgc chapter 46 . 8/2/2014
daphne's POV adds some much needed hilarity to counterbalance all the dramatic dementor stuff: i imagine that harry's quite a catch for the girls of hogwarts: hermione's going to be facing the brunt of a LOT of jealousy in the coming days
Rereading this chapter 46 . 7/16/2014
"The sad little lovestruck girl who dies in act two."

You foreshadowing BASTARD. GRAHWHOWHAAHAHAAGGHRAHHAHWAHAHAHH

I saw all the other foreshadowings as wel you little shit.
Tallman7 chapter 46 . 6/14/2014
Oh shit...
Five locations.
Five horcruxes.
I hope I'm wrong.
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 46 . 5/21/2014
Dumbledore was also looking healthier, though not fully restored. The old wizard's head turned for a moment, locked eyes with Professor Quirrell, then looked back to Harry. "Harry," Dumbledore said, "are you about to collapse in exhaustion and possibly die?"

"No, strangely enough," Harry said. "That took something out of me, but a lot less than I thought it would." Or maybe it gave something back, as well as taking... "Honestly, I expected my body to be hitting the ground with a thud about now."

There was a distinct body-hitting-the-ground-with-a-thuddish sort of sound.

"Thank you for taking care of that, Quirinus," said Dumbledore to Professor Quirrell, who was now standing above and behind the unconscious forms of the three Aurors. "I confess I am still feeling a bit peaky. Though I shall handle the Memory Charms myself."

Hahaha
Talonis Wolf chapter 46 . 1/27/2014
About time Harry started asking questions. In his place, I'd have started asking as soon as he started having an important role in what was going on.
Alexja2013 chapter 46 . 1/25/2014
Aw man is dumbledore evil in this?
Grizzmon chapter 46 . 1/14/2014
There is no chosen one, just the right kind of people in the wrong situation.
z1dytd12901z7018273f18y2f31238 chapter 46 . 11/29/2013
Wow, what. I think my mind just blew up by the extreme chain of logic in the last scene of this chapter.

Everything else was good though, glad to see Harry's solved the riddle faster then the Harry in the first books. The Harry Potter in this book almost makes Harry Potter in J.K Rowling's version seem dim witted, even though I know that's not true.
Guest chapter 46 . 8/21/2013
So Harry defeated the Dementor using the Ultimate Answer to the Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Nice.
BarbaraKaterina chapter 46 . 8/9/2013
One again, a very obvious flaw in logic - Harry presuposes there's always only one person who can hear a prophecy. Not that people never make logical mistakes, but for Harry to make such an obvious blunder..?

And I realized why I was so bothered before by your/Harry's irrational prejudices. Because since you write this as a textbook for rationality, you expect your readers to actually take lessons from this story - lessons in human behaviour (to the degree to which it is experimentaly confirmed) as well as natural sciences. But that automatically translates into accepting the non-scientific stuff too. It's difficult to avoid that, even if the readers rationally realize that there is a difference. Harry is the character who speaks scientific truths, and so the other things he says simply are going to be seen as truth too, unless it is obvious from the story that they weren't, unless it is shown clearly he is wrong. That's why I was bothered - once you decide to create a character who has prophetic traits, you should be really careful about what you have him say...
L.E chapter 46 . 5/14/2013
Great chapter! As usual!
stephenopolos chapter 46 . 5/10/2013
Star gate Atlantis season two episode twelve, the monster we create in our own mind.
RussianDestruction chapter 46 . 5/2/2013
1st TEEHEE: "There was a distinct body-hitting-the-ground-with-a-thuddish sort of sound."
2nd TEEHEE: "What the sweet slithering snakes was that?" God bless Quirrell. :P
3rd TEEHEE: "Tell them I ate it," said Professor Quirrell, causing Harry to choke on the soda he had unthinkingly raised to his lips." !
Oh, wow, Harry's deductions at the end. I'm wondering if in your AU, these are correct, or if he's actually on the wrong track? How crazy would it be if Dumbledore had rigged the whole chain of events concerning the prophecy? Whew... *head spins*
tlhonmey chapter 46 . 2/26/2013
According to the possible and probable deviations from the original story which remain within the suspension of disbelief, it seems quite likely that you have just handed the Big Bad a way to actually win via a lack of cynicism on the part of the protagonist... It shall be interesting to see how the story pans out in your universe.
Fenrir666 chapter 46 . 2/2/2013
The five things Harry mentioned...those were the Horcruxes, weren't they?
the.original.soni chapter 46 . 1/20/2013
"Tell me, Mr. Potter, if you wanted to lose something where no one would ever find it again, where would you put it?" - Now that I read it again, it was so plain obvious!
- "Behind one's own worst memories"

Now Quirell is officially and finally out of my suspect list. He definitely wanted Harry to face his worst memory to figure something really important out of that. I have no idea what but there was something really really important.

On further thought, putting Quirell back on my suspect list. As a cunning man once said, there could be more than one plotter and more than one plan.
StrangeoneXD chapter 46 . 12/22/2012
voodooqueen126 chapter 46 . 8/2/2012
It's a conspiracy...
erinacea chapter 46 . 6/16/2012
That's an astounding leap of logic Harry's doing there, but it all fits. Obviously I already know about the prophecy, but (assuming things happened the same way in your universe) for Harry to work it out on as few clues as that... amazing.
GravekeeperBat chapter 46 . 6/1/2012
-"Tell them I ate it," said Professor Quirrell-

Ohmygod, funnyashell!

That said, was it only me who noticed all of Harry's methods for hiding things, seemed a little difficult for retrieval? It'd be hard enough to put things in those places - nearly impossible - if not completely impossible - to refind and collect them again.
HerGoldenHair chapter 46 . 5/24/2012
Mr. Glowy Person. Hehehehe.

"The sad little lovestruck girl who dies at the end of Act Two." - lol! very true!
Fianchetto Peanutbutter chapter 46 . 4/24/2012
Let's start with the bad.

Throughout the series, it has bothered me how readily adults have been willing to bare their souls to Potter, and also to take Potter seriously enough to be hurt by his responses. Most notably I am referring to Snape's reveal of the Severus-Lily-James triangle, and Albus's discussion of faith, the afterlife, and death. That minor awkwardness exists in the original HP series, however, and in almost every book ever written about child heroes.

Okay, now we can get to all the good.

You are a translator of the highest caliber. As source material, you take the fascination and wonderment of fantastical astrophysics, the overwhelming complexity of genetics, the purity and clarity of irrefutable logic, and then you CONVERT them into poetry, into EMOTION. I love science; daily I am amazed by the amassed human knowledge, and daily I am driven to explore and devour it. Never have I been MOVED by it, made to SWOON in the way some of your Science Poetry makes me swoon.

I won't pretend it's all perfect; some of it is as dry as Wikipedia if not dryer, and you can feel the clunky, heavy way your authorial "transmission" has shifted gears from Story mode to Lecture mode. Unavoidable? I have no idea. Could I do better? No, probably not. I would enjoy these bits more if I was willingly performing research, instead of being yanked out of a great story and forced to sit through a (very short) lecture.

I say this not because those elements need to be removed, but just to give a full and fair review, not glossing over the parts that abruptly took me out of a state of "Flow".

As further praise, the machinations of the characters are thoroughly enjoyable. RARELY during the original HP books did I experience an electrifying surge of adrenaline and think to myself, "Oh, it is well and truly ON now!" This is probably due to the ever-present and ever-obvious knowledge that things would ultimately turn out okay in the end; watching plots unfold in HP was more an exercise of patience, than excitement. The occasional moments of shock (such as the sudden and surprising deaths of -redacted- and -redacted-) are no substitute for the compelling power of good ANTICIPATION.

I look forward very much to reading the remainder of your chapters, and sincerely hope that it is not one of those abandoned-in-the-middle projects.

Eagerly yours,

Lord Peanutbutter
Finariona chapter 46 . 4/20/2012
I'm not getting why the knowledge of the Patronus 2.0, a.k.a Mister Glowy Person, is perceived as being better kept secret. The reasoning to which Harry leapt confuses me.

It was induced that once you upgrade you cannot go back to thinking about your performance differently in order to produce an animal (non-human) patronus? I find this doubtful. But even if this was the case, what is there to lose? What's so great and much better about producing an animal patronus instead of a human one?

It would be easy to disseminate the knowledge with sufficient warnings to the effect that to endeavor to learn the 2.0 version would produce a change in one's patronus, and to leave each to their own decision. I find it kind of bizarre for Harry, and for this fic, to encourage and condone a restriction in knowledge.

What bad consequences could there be from ridding the world from Dementors? It's not going to fundamentally alter the nature of the cosmos, I take it?

Anyhow, great chapter, despite this confusing detail. I'm eager to read more!
Mavarax chapter 46 . 3/16/2012
Wow, Harry is a good detective. I never would've figured out what he did about the events instigated by the prophecy from the evidence presented. That said, this is merely a passing interest to me but it is a major focus of Harry who is incredibly intelligent with good reasoning skills and would've spent far more than 5 minutes thinking about the problem before considering possible solutions so it probably isn't that unrealistic as these points are all backed up by logical argument.

I hope we eventually find out what Trelawney's unfinished prophecy was.
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 46 . 2/23/2012
and he forgets what Snape told him to THINK! Hey my defense teach is asking me how would I hide something. my defense teacher who is my defence teacher so he has been caught in the positions curse. Voldamort (or an affected Quirrel) has learned from his younger arrogance hasent he?

Good lord he also does not think that both severus and Miveria learned it at the same time. why would she be completely alone with trelany the exact second she starts a fortune of fate? No Severus could hear it and be one of the few people who escaped a obliviate when this happens how did the fact that a Prohecy get leaked out?

came close to dieing indeed. I think this chapter issultrates how brilliant socially akward smartes dumb person (or dubest smart person) he can be.

It shows that he is an 11 year old boy.

are you trying to end this in a year? cause you made him to smart for it to be anything less.

poor ron youve done him justice when you showed him but demoted to extra for the sixth son of seven children of a Pure blooded family? Unlucky indeed.

unless... of course his luck will turn worse for hiding his skill and someone like Quirell should perhaps catch him in some... intresting situation.

How is harry's "fairy tail" future deal with diffrent countries who will fight wars? is he truly arrogent that he will get every single evil or undesireable or plain psycotic individual before this happens and that every single child is going to be raised without preduduce? that their wont be one and later some people WHO WILL BE IMMORTAL with dark intentions?

a lofty dream for a 1 year old with little human understandings that do something completly unpredictable. as humans due once in a green moon.

Great story by the way I love it! wish that harry would have an advisary his own age that isint apart of your golden trio.

hope you update soon!
Caesia chapter 46 . 2/6/2012
Oh man, this must be the sixth of seventh time I've read the Humanism arc and it's the same every time. I'm covered in goosebumps, short of breath, teary... I'm not sure there's a word for this emotion but I guess "exultant hope" sort of fits. You win Yudkowsky.
AR chapter 46 . 9/22/2011
Its making more and more sense..

His logic is flawed though...but I wonder if I only think that because I have read the books. I'm curious to see how you will deviate from the books on this one though..

Good writing as always
madeyemarauder chapter 46 . 9/2/2011
This is research with a big R.
zork chapter 46 . 8/23/2011
saltlines, I am in the UK and I don't believe I have ever heard anyone say "wolfram" when they mean tungsten.
saltlines chapter 46 . 8/21/2011
This has probably already been mentioned, but in the UK (actually, everywhere besides the US), Tungsten is referred to as Wolfram.
Delta chapter 46 . 7/18/2011
Okay, so this actually happened . . .

-Chapter 39-:

"If you stood in Professor Quirrell's shoes, what misdeeds could you accomplish after you tricked me into allowing a Dementor onto the grounds of Hogwarts?"

Little Voice In My Head: It's a distraction.

"Tell me," Harry said, "everything about how the Dementor is to be brought in, and how it is to be guarded."

LVIMH: Why do you need to know that? It's a distraction.

Harry poked and prodded, but he couldn't see a flaw in the security.

LVIMH: Yes, that would be because [SBaHJ] THE DEMENTOR RUSE IS A . . . DISTACTION [/SBaHJ]. The Prof might as well have painted "DECOY" on it in big red letters.

"The Dementor is a distraction," Harry said.

LVIMH: . . . you know, despite everything, I didn't actually expect to be right about this.

-Fast-forward to this chapter . . .-

"Out of curiosity, Professor Quirrell," said Harry, "if your bringing the Dementor to Hogwarts had been part of an evil plot, what would have been its goal?"

"Assassinate Dumbledore while he was weakened," Professor Quirrell said without even hesitating.

LVIMH: . . . oh Quirrell you sly little [EXPLETIVE DELETED].

Ladies and Gentlemen, Professor Quirrell: One Level Higher Than You in-universe and out.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 46 . 7/17/2011
I hope Dumbledore didn't really arrange for Snape to hear the prophecy, etc like Harry thinks, that would be terrible D:
SuddenMaelstrom chapter 46 . 6/27/2011
There is a fascinating rhythm to Harry's chain of logic at the end of this chapter. I really enjoy puzzles being put together in new and innovative ways.
Xander Harris jr chapter 46 . 4/27/2011
"May I please have some more... I need my fix."
LoveandScience chapter 46 . 4/6/2011
I am absolutely loving this story!

Tho occasionally (not in this chapter) the word theory is used instead of hypothesis-just a pet peeve of mine.

And for some reason the strongest thought in my brain, besides "I LOVE NERDINESS!" has to be my obsession with this version of Quirrel and Harry Potter to be lovers. lol!

I can't wait to finish this better version of the harry potter series!
Nait chapter 46 . 3/5/2011
Whoever responded to my comment

First: This is an exception. I do not look at responses for comments, and will not search for them. I believe that comments are just that, comments on the story, for the author. Not a discussion field. But as I have - due to lack of name - no way to reach you, and you did take your time to address a comment soly to me, I intent to respond.

Thus: If you are interested in discussion such matters, please feel free to contact me privately - email, message, whatever - as I always enjoy a bit of interesting conversation.

Second: Yes, I admit, that I too, am biased. We all are. Even in science. Perhaps it would be, in writing such comments as mine, be more precise to specifiy that biomass on earth is not limited. Instead: it is very probable that the fluctuations of what we consider to be biomass to be marginal enough to consider biomass as stable and limited in a limited space, based on the limited knowledge we have to far obtained. It is entirely possible that there is a constant exchange of biomass, a multidimensional exchange of biomass, a universe folded into a univserse on a micro level we are unable to observe and thus an infinity of biomass - and the term and definition of biomass might even prove to be entirely inaccurate.

But, as you can see; even if I try to describe it as precise as possible, there are still holes, and I would need more and more words to specify it further. And even if I do so, as I am a human, I will surely miss to specify at least a large number of further specifications that should be mentioned.

So based on the assumption that the planet does not - to say it in very simple terms - get constantly thinner or heavier, but retains most of its mass, and on the idea of an exact exchange between materials, it is impossible to use more biomass than - according to our understanding - is available.

Third: The idea of death as an enrichment of joy is based on psychological factors.

If a human acts for a long time in a routine, he will consider the things around him reduced to its functionality - not in its entirety.

If you were to clean a beach of dirt and garbage for twenty years, the beach, the sand, the sea, the sun, the wind - it would all loose its novelity and appeal because you see its funcations. Difficult to walk, gets in the shoe, washes and distributes the garbage, requires me to work before the falling tide drags the stuff out, burns my skin, hot, throws sand into my eyes, carries the garbage even further into the land.

If you use the subway for the first time in a large city - it is exciting, new. If you do it everyday, at some point - you no longer think about it.

Death imposes a limit to your options. It forces you to choose, and the choice carries weight.

If you can eat all the different sorts of icecream in a single day - you do not have to enjoy them, and neither is the choice of which you taste important. Because you can taste it all. The choice does not matter - everything is yours anyway. But when you choose, the effect of your choice, the taste, the freshness, the rich flavour and cold substance, it all enriches your choice and stimulates your mind.

People do dangerous kinds of sports because of precisly that experience. To do something that carries weight and meaning for you, that forces you to make a significant choice - that is what makes things as climing attractive.

Fourth: You are correct that terms as "disheartening" imply subjective judgement. And they do. They do not reflect upon the quality of the ideas or the story presented, nor do they accurately judge what occurs. But they do provide the author with my emotional feedback. They tell clearly that - because of certain possibilities I have mentioned - I found myself somewhat unable to enjoy the story to its fullest. Other people seem to enjoy the story regardless - which seems to indicate that indeed, my judgement is purely subjective, which it is.

In that regard, this was not a scientific article or a debate, but my attempt to explain why the incongruence of certain topics and actions - and the fact that they have not really been questioned (Harry did not encounter someone who really argued against them)- have reduced my enjoyment of the story.

The author may care about that, orhe may care not, but I personally found it at least somewhat satisfying to state them.

From that point of view - you may consider my previous comment as entirely and only a way to deal with my dissatisfaction and to allow me to continue reading without breaking off due to frustration. This is done in the hope that certain (promising!) plot arcs may fullfill some part of my expectations and bring back the enjoyment.

And with that I shall end this ridiculously long comment (that is even off topic!) and encourage you - if you are interested in further discussion - to contact me privately. )
ARMH chapter 46 . 2/26/2011
This is one of those interesting cases where rationality doesnt yeild the correct answer. Harry drew quite the wrong conclusion lol.
Guru Vishnu chapter 46 . 12/26/2010
This shit is really starting to stink.
E.A.V chapter 46 . 11/29/2010
Two sides to every argument.

I enjoyed this chapter greatly, once again!
HoosYourDaddy chapter 46 . 11/24/2010
Raemon - my apologies. We were butting heads primarily over semantics, and I certainly didnt mean to imply anything at all about personality types.

I was speaking of 'thought' in the purely logical, argumentative sense, and took you to mean that 'rationalists' could simply reason at a level that was too advanced for the rest of us cretins.

You were speaking of 'thought' in a broader sense that included emotions and personality. Some people are more emotional than others. I understand that and I'm not making any moral judgment whatsoever.

Cheers.
Dust Traveller chapter 46 . 11/23/2010
Absolutely wonderful story, man. I don't know that I would have ever identified myself as a rationalist, but as someone who tries to look at everything from a scientific point of view, I suppose that's part of what I've been doing all along, isn't it?

Anyway, I think the thing that really sticks with me about this story is how lovingly each character is treated, flaws and all. You hide your character biases very well, very well indeed... usually, when you read a persons fanfiction, you come to the conclusion that they love or hate certain characters, even if they are trying to be "fair", by how they portray them. I can only say that you apparently deeply like most of the characters present, by how in-character (insofar as the internally consistent logic of the story goes) they remain.

You turn an old story new again, poke fun at its flaws without being an asshole about it, walk the tight-rope between humor and drama in a way that has entertained me immensely. I applaud you sir.

A bit of constructive criticism now, if I may. I sometimes get the impression that, in an attempted not to do things the "old way" that canon does it, you sometimes push things close to the border of ridiculous. I'm not saying that, as of chapter 45, this is a border you have CROSSED yet. I am merely pointing out that finding novel reasons for people to do things that flies in the face of canon or accepted fanon is not always strictly necessary... to avoid confusion, the instances I refer to are Wormtail's apparent death, Black and Wormtail's "romance"...

Then again, you probably have some goal in mind with all of this, and I haven't gotten to the current chapter, so feel free to ignore this as necessary. I trust you to figure something out, even if you DON'T have a plan.

You're honestly that good.

One last thing... the last aftermath (the one titled Minerva) of chapter 45 confused me a bit... the beginning of it seems to be from Minervas point of view, then leads into a logic chain that implies a revelation of Dumbledore's intent behind the prophecy. My confusion is thus: I'm pretty sure it's Harry coming to that logical conclusion, but POV started from Minerva, so for a moment I thought, WOW, why is Minerva leaping to conclusions like this in her head... she isn't mentally tricksy enough to come up with this...

I confess that I figured it out afterward, but it did jar me out of the narrative for a moment while I considered the ramifications of Minerva coming to that conclusion. Maybe just a heads up... or did I have it right after all?

Anyway, I'm going to continue under the impression that it was Harry's ephiphany (whether he is correct or not). I just thought you might like to know, in case you wanted to make it a little more clear.

I think I just admitted I'm dumb, but what the hell, you have to write so a majority of people can understand you, right?

In any case, I'm going back to enjoying the story, I'll drop you a review now and then to show you I'm still interested.

Chris, DT
Mary Pseud chapter 46 . 11/19/2010
What you have done with the characters and the universe of Harry Potter is amazing, and I tip my hat to you. I wish that I could write as well (and as fast!) as you do. I have every intention of following this story through to the end, with full faith that you will not whip out a 'happy ending' unless it can be logically found. Thank you!
Kay chapter 46 . 11/16/2010
Looks like Harry's being successfully manipulated by Prof Q.
Indigo Ziona chapter 46 . 10/28/2010
I really must go to bed, I am past any commentary, except that Harry has just come to a very scary conclusion. At the end of Half Blood Prince, when Harry praises him so unreservedly, I confess I had a certain unease, which turned out to be justified, after a fashion, but you've just scared me even more :)
dragonfilia chapter 46 . 10/25/2010
Okay, so, hah, this rambling review is a product of me trying to sleep while hopped up on caffeine and pondering the intricacies of character development.

Back in chapter 46 I wondered about Harry accidentally guessing the locations of the horcruxes. This was based on Quirrellmort's 'oddness' and the fact Harry himself has a piece of Voldemort inside of him. Furthermore, judging from his mysterious ,dark personality Harry isn't exactly uninfluenced by it.

(Which is interesting because if you take that versus canon then perhaps all the abuse was good for him? Which would then make Dumbledore pretty smart, but not really because he didn't follow through in MoR. Which makes this conclusion baseless.)

Anyway! In your description of this fic you have, as a main point, that Petunia married someone else. This suggests that this is your divergence point. This works well to pull in readers, but isn't accurate otherwise Voldemort would still .5% as smart as MoR!Voldemort.

(And if Voldemort stayed the same this would be a Super!Harry fic. It would be the average Harry saves the world, everyone is amazed, and maybe he is disparaged by the wizarding world just so his victory is that much more awesome. And there's a lot of groveling. And sidekicks. Then [if we are keeping Harry in character a least a little bit] he would go on to defeat death. And the 'cure' would be something paltry like just magically extending telomeres because that is OBVIOUSLY the be-all and-all of aging. [Not that I don't think that telomere research is worthwhile, I just think solving aging is going to be hella more complicated. Especially if you're going to eliminate death altogether.])

Anyway! And here we come to the main point of the review. But first to recap:

1)Obviously affecting horcrux.

2)Changed/Rational Voldemort

This is a question of Nature vs. Nurture vs. ?

If Harry had a fully formed and rational soul fragment blasted into him as a child, then perhaps his rationality is not just a product of his upbringing. Perhaps he had rationality forcibly imprinted on him and that is the reason he is able to grasp at it better than most. For instance, his father, who Harry was very much in contact with during his formative years, rejects magic while Harry does not. This is said to be because he more firmly understands the concept of rejecting hypothesis' that are not correct no matter the personal investment; it is said that he learned this from books. This is viable. However, Harry's raw mental flexibility when performing partial transfiguration is frankly phenomenal. I seriously doubt that is even possible. Humans are just not able to reject and reform world views that easily because on a base level we always believe. We can pretend and we can trick ourselves. But such quick changes are unnatural.

This suggests an interesting mental flexibility that is superhuman. Unless, of course, it is actually a sign that he was broken on a fundamental level when he was a child and the cracks of his psyche have healed in a that reflected an exposure to internal and external cooperating forces.

In conclusion, perhaps the soul fragment had a profound affect on Harry's development and worked in tandem with his parentage and reading choice to make him what he is in this fic.

(I am not a psychologist so I may not really have a solid argument. This is just a product of a highly irregular thought process. Then again, maybe you've already thought of this and designed the fic this way and we're just scrambling to catch up.)

Anyway! Food for thought or an alternate conclusion of Harry's development (or maybe not).
Faranda chapter 46 . 10/25/2010
Harry suggests to lose something by putting it :

. "in the molten core of the planet"

. "in solid rock a kilometer underground"

. "in the Mariana Trench" (or any other)

. "in stratosphere"

. "in space"

It's the buddhist and hinduist five elements system. It could also be the greek four elements system, with space hinting to the human technical ability, but it's more fragile. Am I right ?

46 chapters, and still astounding at each page : really fantastic !
Trent Kriss chapter 46 . 10/24/2010
Hello Pioneer Anomaly:

"Or ideally you would launch it into space, with a cloak against detection, and a randomly fluctuating acceleration factor that would take it out of the Solar System"

Note the randomly fluctuating acceleration factor... awfully hard to find now that its radio transmitter is off forever, especially since gravity isn't the only force on it.
Kutta chapter 46 . 10/14/2010
Great chapter
LunaSlashSea chapter 46 . 10/8/2010
Excellent chapter
Vampyromaniac chapter 46 . 10/6/2010
Okay this is going to sound like taking credit after the answers have come out, but I did catch on to certain hinting in chapter 46, though I interpreted it slightly differently. The odd smile, the odder laugh, that sense of doom that sets all our spidey senses tingling and not just Harry's. At the time I was thinking 'Harry shut up you idiot stop talking' instead of 'oh but of course Quirrell already thought of those'. I still don't quite get the 'riddle' or pattern though, other than to say they're the ideas of a Muggle scientist, focused on the universe, and not the ideas of a magical world-raised wizard, fixated on mystical objects. This happens to me quite a bit while reading MoR - I think I partially get it but I'm never quite sure what else there was to get.
ejhawman chapter 46 . 10/4/2010
Brilliant ending to the arc. The aftermaths all tracked well.

The logic Harry works out is excellent. Standard bit of detective fiction, taking elements introduced earlier and piecing them together to see what they imply.

So, a minor change: McG, not Dumbles, heard the prophecy first. Harry, memory jogged by his encounter with the Dementor, takes what he knows from earlier about Snape to deduce that Snape learned the prophecy - and incriminates Dumbledore.

Normally, Harry's first year is rather early for him to decide to care about what the losing side in the war thought about the winners. But the way you've built things up, it's natural that Harry reaches this resolution early.

One last note: I recall a line about Hermione already having started SPEW. It's another useful bit of Plot Hole Patching (which fanfic writers are especially motivated to do; it's practically in the job description), as house-elves are one of those things that SHOULD have been introduced in the first book - it's quite ridiculous that Harry and Hermione don't hear of them until the fourth book, every magic-raised child should know of them.

Actually, I had expected a whole chapter devoted to the matter of house-elves. Harry could understand them as a sort of robot without true sentience, or only limited sentience, but Hermione would still be responding to the fact that they seem able to SUFFER, and their masters are subject to no mechanism enforcing good treatment for their elves. So... were you planning to get to this in greater depth in a future chapter?

Overall, another great success.
thewanderingmonster chapter 46 . 10/1/2010
I would just like to point out that there *is* another fanfic with a good "Harry kills a dementor" scene: "Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past" (although Harry isn't wholly - or even mostly - responsible for killing the dementor...)
Heidinanookie chapter 46 . 10/1/2010
you know, your story's amazing! I honestly was about to quit reading because you came up with more and more elements that I don't like at all and also because I just didn't feel like reading on, but during the last 4 chapters you re-enchanted me, so to say. I even found something to laugh about:

[Quirrell:]"Let us go straight to asking the important question. What the sweet slithering snakes was that?"

"The Patronus Charm," Harry said. "Version 2.0."

heidi
Mastigo chapter 46 . 10/1/2010
"All excellent suggestions," said Professor Quirrell. "But tell me, Mr. Potter, why those exact five?"

Patterns I noticed:

The classical 5 elements of water, earth, wind, fire, and void are represented. -unlikely to be relevant

With the possible exception of the underground vs underwater hiding location, the locations progressed from the core of the Earth upwards and outwards. -unlikely to be important

All of them are based in hiding the object in a random, unimportant location of no particular significance, using the needle in a haystack hiding method. -likely to be significant
Me chapter 46 . 9/27/2010
I have another theory about Quirrel and Dementors.

- Quirrel has an Aura of Doom.

- Quirrel says he doesn't mind telling the Ministry that the Dementor is gone because he ATE it, and Dumbledore does not seem to think this comment strange.

- After encountering Dementors, the Aura of Doom is really strong.

Does Quirrel absorb Dementors, or eat them, or know a way to destroy them, or know a way to stop the effects they have on him WITHOUT using a Patronus?
bluewillow chapter 46 . 9/27/2010
So, Snape cancelled his classes and wasn't on hand, *according to Quirrell* - but perhaps he was guarding the Philosopher's Stone with McGonagall?

The Snape thing that keeps poking at me is from Lucius's response to Draco's letter - the first day of Hogwarts, where he asks what Lucius would think if he told him he met someone who described Lucius as a 'flawless instrument of death' and said that Draco was his only weakness - and Lucius said that they were probably a friend of Severus Snape. Did he mean that literally (e.g., a specific Death Eater), or figuratively (i.e., a Slytherin in general).

Where does Snape fit into all of this?
Sabrinasidd chapter 46 . 9/27/2010
oh wow! That was just... perfection! I remember wondering what Dementors were supposed to represent, and I seemed to remember someone telling me that they represented pure fear. But I always had this nagging feeling that couldn't be right because it's the Boggart that actually represents fear in the Potter-verse. To kill a Boggart, you have to visualize it as looking silly, and then laugh after casting the spell 'Ridikulous'. That seems like a great way to deal with fear actually.

So the idea of a Dememtor representing fear, despair... or any of the other theories that I heard about... didn't fit well.

But then YOU came up with the brilliant, apt, fitting and absolutely PERFECT idea that Dementors represented DEATH... and I can't imagine then representing anything else now... it's such a perfect idea.

Not only that, but you also gave Harry the most amazing, apt and perfect way of killing a Dementor. His certain belief (fed on rational study as well as science fiction) has beautifully firmed his belief that death WILL be conquered one day... and that's absolutely wonderful, beautiful and amazing.

I seriously was sniffing a bit by the end of the chapter. The sheer beauty of it just blew me away.
Cho Cozi Seyunolu chapter 46 . 9/26/2010
* spoilers *

... Quirrelmort is responsible for the Pioneer Anomaly, isn't he?
Jonathan chapter 46 . 9/25/2010
It seems to me that the five places to hide a horcrux match the five Western classical elements. Lava is fire (though not actually), underground is earth, the ocean is water, the atmosphere is air, and space is ether, which Plato and pre-scientists considered to be the element of the heavens.
Evilblaze chapter 46 . 9/25/2010
This is for chapter 47:

Draco was distraught about Dumbledore burning his mother alive. I was wondering if there was any justification as to why Lucius still sent him to Hogwarts. Alma mater pride? Only place to learn?
Paosheep chapter 46 . 9/24/2010
I feel compelled to mention that I am in love with this story.

The only thing that really bugs me is the fact that this is a VERY full first year. A little pacing wouldn't hurt. And even that doesn't bother me so long as you, as an author, are aware of that fact, and have chosen to write the story as it is regardless.
Random person chapter 46 . 9/24/2010
Hermione stared at the wax-sealed paper, on the surface of which was inscribed simply the number 42.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

oh and does the water battle with the armies thing where down is the ball come from the book ender's game?
Swurt chapter 46 . 9/24/2010
Hey, Less Wrong.

I'm greatly looking forward to a new chapter. You're writing one of - if not - the most creative and intelligent fanfictions on the internet.

Even if the creative juices aren't flowing and you can't think up new tricks, I'd love to read more simply because of the characters. Bwah! Your characters rock!

Sorry, I was remembering parts of your story there.

Anyway, best of luck

-Mr. Cosmos
Raj8 chapter 46 . 9/24/2010
this is a great and very interesting story
gammaraye chapter 46 . 9/23/2010
Humanism Pt 3 blew me away. It was absolutely beautiful.
Alicia chapter 46 . 9/23/2010
I love this. seriously I have never read from someones homepage who is brave enough to insult the people who stay on this website day and night practically worshiping the ground a fictional character walks on. also, this story is really great so good job with that too. :)
Canisse chapter 46 . 9/23/2010
Firstly, let me say THANK YOU for several hours of undiluted fun. Then, I HATE YOU, because I could not go to sleep before having finished it all, and the sleep-deprivation is something I could do without. So as not to look like a complete boots-licker, I will say that your story probably has many flaws, but I just haven't been able to find them yet, due to my weakened state.

One actually came to me right now, and it is about Harry's objections to immortality. Sure, I get his views might not be yours, but how could such a Ravenclaw decide to never know what death IS like ? I am an atheist myself, and I suspect you are, too, but I can't help but wonder whether all those beliefs in immortal souls might actually be right. In which case it would really be a pity never to discover that.

Plus, if I were him, I would take the existence of magic, which defies all physics, as a pretty strong hint towards the existence of souls. After all, if an impossible thing is real, the other might be, too.

Well, I'll stop there, or else I'll start explaining my beliefs to anyone interested, which would be no one, I suspect.

P.S: I REALLY enjoyed the Orson Scott Card reference, who's one of my favourite authors. I am now going to read this story again, so as to spot any other references that I hadn't noticed earlier.
HonestlyNotAddicted chapter 46 . 9/23/2010
It has been unusually long since your last update... I don't mind admitting that I am scared. While I cant imagine a writer like your self giving up on a project, the amount of unfinished fic's out there has left me extremely weary of situations of prolonged author absences such as the one we now find our self's in.

In short, please update soon, I'm starting to get the shakes!

Not like I have an unhealthy addiction or anything, but this lack of fanfiction is causing me to revert to studying, socialising and generally having a real life ... something must be done!
Comosicus chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
I have mixed feelings about this story so far. At first I considered it a pure crack fic, based on the first few chapters. Later on I can see that you migrate to a more serious setting.

There are still so many things I need to understand about your universe setting. I did not managed to completely find the differences in the wizarding world. Quirell seems to be Voldemort-free, although there are hints and clues that still cause some doubt. Black/Pettigrew and the Secret Keeper stuff is also unclear. I might base this on the story of the Weasley rat. Yet is also possible that Peter felt cornered and replaced himself with a normal rat, while he went to search different accommodations. And the list can carry on and on.

I'll stop here for now and just tell that I look forward to the next chapter.
jasticE chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
All has been said. I would hereby like to offer some more encouragement for future chapters. The rule of awsome is working quite well for the story!
yourmom chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
Please update soon! The last 4 chapters were awesome
Gary chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed reading this, and hope that there's more to come. It's compelling, and I'd say I enjoyed it as much as I have any story, published or otherwise, that I can remember.

I hope that there's more to come. :)
Elizabeth chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
I'm enjoying this story very much.

But...

***Spoiler***

Dumbledore would never make such a bet with Quirrell. It is completely out of character.
Baughn chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
I loved the last two chapters, but I've read them three times already and I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.

How's the next chapter going?
Rebel Goddess chapter 46 . 9/22/2010
The storyline conversation was excellent. I think Harry's train of logic, while understandable, is fatally flawed in more than one place. Then again, I think higher level logic for an 11 year old who is contemplating the reasons for his parents' deaths is probably a bit much to ask. Wonderful story. Can't wait to read more.

PS - If you ever feel intrigued by fantasy that also attempts not to treat science as something that can be ignored at will, try Patrick Rothfuss's superb book 'The Name of the Wind'.
ShpadoinkleConfederateCyclops chapter 46 . 9/20/2010
Withdrawal symptoms... Must. Resist. The urge to prance around in a clown suit, yodelling.

But seriously, you may have better things to do than wrtiting Harry Potter fanfiction, but please, at least tell us why the delay. Like in your profile or something.
him-mione chapter 46 . 9/19/2010
Mr Yudkowsky

Hope you haven't taken a trip to Australia or anything. My withdrawal symptoms are getting quite bad now. Any hope of an update soon? I eagerly anticipate the next installment of MoR, with increasing desperation, though I do understand you are probably busy dealing with important things, like real life.

Anyway, I love your fic and look forward to reading more of it. I must add that I have quite enjoyably lost myself on the Less Wrong wiki on more than one occasion...it is a brilliant site

your loyal reader

Him-mione
sensoray chapter 46 . 9/19/2010
!. . . . .before!. .fantastic, . .view. . . . . . !
UPDATE SOON chapter 46 . 9/18/2010
or we shall dieeeee

of waiting.
Phein39 chapter 46 . 9/17/2010
1. You are planning to top this, how?

2. There should be a way for your readers to support this effort indirectly, i.e., PayPal, Amazon wish list, etc. I'd rather pay for more chapters of this story than, say, lawn treatments which are too necessary!, no matter what non-neighbors might say.
William H. Stoddard chapter 46 . 9/16/2010
Millaywashere: I kind of like W. H. Auden's take on it:

As the poets have mournfully sung,

Death takes the innocent young,

The rolling in money,

The screamingly funny,

And those who are very well hung.
Eileen Young chapter 46 . 9/16/2010
This is one of the most fascinating stories of any medium or genre that I've read in a long while. I love and appreciate the explanations of the thought processes; it leaves me feeling just a little more enlightened for having read this.

And, of course, I love Harry and Hermione's interactions. They're /adorable/.
Herve chapter 46 . 9/16/2010
Thank you for the read, hope there's more to come.
MillayWasHere chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave

Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;

Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.

I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
Kiriska chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
I really... cannot think of anything to say that probably has not already been said, but know that I plowed through all of this in a ridiculously short amount of time and think it is one of the most original and brilliant pieces of fanfiction I've ever had the joy to read. And I would reword the praise and repeat it for another few paragraphs if I thought it would effectively drill in how in awe of this I am.

Definitely looking forward to reading this as it continues to unravel.
nurray chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
(Rod Sirling voice) "Picture a man if you will standing in front of a computer monitor and clapping loudly. The question you find yourself asking is why, what has he just read to cause such approbation."

The person is me. I have to admit I just read the current 46 chapters in one go and I am stunned. It has been a long time since I had a story grab me and refuse to let me stop reading it. This story has done so. Bravo.

Your story has unexpected quirks, funny humorous lines amongst more serious issues, unexpected turns and yet was consistent with itself.

As for the last 2 chapters (45 & 46), it is the BEST reason given for why Harry can go beyond what a normal wizard/witch can do with a patronus. The home sapiens patronus is brilliant in conception and the writing execution of the idea was very well done. The scientist approach to magic was excellent as well. Most writers never tackle that "elephant in the room" question.

I have liked the Harry/Hermione interaction, they do play off of each other quite well here.

This is definitely a Harry Potter story that reads more like a story on its own in its uniqueness.

I eagerly look forward to reading more of this story.
Fat ppl are harder to kidnap chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
one of my fav harry potter fanfics
anon chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
Awww, I'm soo desperately hoping for an update!
Imagine Brittana chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
Great chapters, I love them and the twists, especially how Harry can kill dementors and how he reacted to them. I can't wait for the next chapter, please update asap, keep up the amazing work.
Entropic Specter chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
Wait, I didn't review the new chapters yet, did I? Oops.

Well, what can I say? Oh, right. Thanks! Obvious, in retrospect.

Please keep up the great work and update soon.
Zaz chapter 46 . 9/15/2010
William H. Stoddard chapter 46 . 9/14/2010
All right, I think I've just blown my own mind by thinking about this story: I think I've spotted its central conflict.

Logically, that conflict ought to reflect the theme of the story. But the title iannounces/i the theme: the "Methods of Rationality," and specifically their application to magic. In particular, the most fully focused form of rationality we've arrived at is science, and what Harry wants is a science of magic.

There's a passage in S. M. Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time" where time travelers from the late 20th century are telling two Bronze Age people, a sea captain from Spain and a priestess from Britain, that the Earth is round. And the Bronze Age people are astonished . . . but not that the world is round: they already both know that. They're astonished that the time travelers know it too. It comes out that in both their cultures, this is secret knowledge, shared only with insiders. And one of the time travelers says to another that what's really distinctive about science is not the content of scientific knowledge, but that it's freely shared.

This was in fact the Royal Society's big innovation: A researcher got the credit for a discovery only by publishing it. That's the social contract that science is based on. Publication is what makes possible confirmation, testing, and criticism of scientific theories, by letting anyone attack them.

Harry tells Draco part of this, when he's inducting him into the Bayesian Society: He tells him that scientists have to attack their own theories. But he also tells Draco that muggle scientists, not having a tradition of knowing dangerous secrets, made the mistake of openly revealing what they knew, and that scientific mages won't make that mistake, but will keep their knowledge secret from those who aren't ready yet to learn it.

And in saying that, he's rejected the social contract of science, in favor of an occultist social contract, a social contract of hidden lore not to be shared with the unilluminated. That is, he's adopted a concept of science that turns it into magic.

Doing so has to conflict with the whole practice of science, because all its other aspects are designed to work with an ethic of open publication. Take that away, and they become liabilities, and Harry is under steadily increasing pressure to reject them, becoming less and less a scientist and more and more a wizard in the old style. And that conflict isn't just an external one: The impulse to secrecy has taken root in Harry's own mind. Whether he thinks that he's just pretending to believe in secrecy to lull Draco's fears, or he really believes that scientific knowledge is dangerous and needs to be concealed . . . he's acting on principles that go against science. If he keeps doing so, the methods of rationality won't be a tool for him any longer, or a weapon, but a threat—a weapon that turns against him.

Now, if this hypothesis is right, we'll see a series of dramatic scenes where the crucial question is whether Harry, or someone else, should keep a secret, or publish it. And since the revelation of a secret is the typical climax of a comedy (see Northrop Frye's discussion of genres), this will turn out to be a comedy.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'll be all the more interested to find out.
Kel Thunderfist chapter 46 . 9/14/2010
I must say that when StumbleUpon brought me here I was only a bit curious. But i must profess that you have succeeded time and time again to blow my mind with this marvelous piece. I hope you continue to regale us readers with your Methods of Rationality for some time to come.
Aris Katsaris chapter 46 . 9/14/2010
What an absolutely *glorious* set of chapters these last 4 ('Humanism') has been! Utterly amazing.

I'd like to think that Dumbledore would be able to do the same enhanced Patronus as Harry, if he just focused on his expectations about the afterlife instead. Though Harry is a transhumanist, and Dumbledore is an... afterlife-ist, at his deeper core Dumbledore is as much opposed to death (in the sense of person-annihilation) as Harry; their differing views really represent different beliefs about the existence of an afterlife, not actually a different set of values.

One minor nitpick: I felt that the last section of Humanism, Pt 4, the speculations about Dumbledore's role in the deaths at Godric's hollow, didn't really belong there and might have been better pushed to the next chapter: it was too much of a shift, both in mood and thematically.

But on the whole: amazing! and my nitpick is nothing more than that.
Chatwyn chapter 46 . 9/14/2010
Harry, every time you talk to Quirinus fucking Quirrel, you are FUCKING YOURSELF OVER. I can't wait to see the aftermath.
Gannet chapter 46 . 9/14/2010
I've just read the entire story in one go. Thank you for writing! It's wonderful from start to finish.
Akiyama chapter 46 . 9/13/2010
I've just finished reading the whole thing on pdf. I was glued to it! I've read all the Harry Potter books but I've never read fanfic before. Really hugely enjoyable.

My only quibble is that Hogwarts sometimes seems a bit too American. I suppose that is unavoidable if you are American.

I have some questions:

Do you have any idea how long the story is going to be eventually?

Why are you deleting the author's notes as you go along? It would be interesting to read them.

Both this novel and your sequences refer to a lot of other works of fiction and nonfiction. Would you consider posting a list of inspirational reading for people who enjoy your writing?
Akiyama chapter 46 . 9/13/2010

I have some questions:

Do you have any idea how long the story is going to be eventually?

Adam Shea chapter 46 . 9/13/2010
Wow! This goes on my short list of writings that cause the "epic tingles" thanks to Harry's internal scene when preparing to destroy the Dementor.
Adeptis chapter 46 . 9/12/2010
Good chapters.
Dragon Man 180 chapter 46 . 9/11/2010
Harry destroying a dementor... that's awesome! I can't wait to see what happens next. But I miss the D&D elements you had in the early chapters, can you try to bring them back?
Rav3n Owl chapter 46 . 9/11/2010
OMG I love this story, ever since I first read it I was hooked. I have learnt so much since the start of this story and I have developed a close fondness for the characters. Please please update soon, I'm hooked.
TheFinalWraith chapter 46 . 9/11/2010
Given that Rowling said the Harry Potter series is about death, having the Dementors be essentially avatars of Oblivion just seems really fitting to me. I mean, everything you said checks out, like how animals are often said to be incapable of comprehending mortality, thus making them ideal opponents for the aspects of death.

If I recall correctly, wasn't it just luck on Snape's part that he heard the prophecy? I mean, don't get me wrong, this definitely seems like something Dumbledore would do, and something James would even agree to if it came to that.

Also, Harry's helping Quirrelmort hide the horcruxes now? That's... really bad I'd say. I can't really determine what factor the locations Harry mentioned had in common, except that you would likely be screwed if you wanted whatever you hid back.

This is unrelated, but I can't help but wonder what Harry would think of the Time-Space Administration Bureau. On the one hand, it's an alliance of mages and normal people creating a peace-keeping force that stretches across dozens of worlds, which seems to be what Harry wants... Plus given their unique perspective on child officers Harry could probably become a Commanding Officer in less than a year. On the other hand, Midchildan magic seems a lot more limited than Hogwarts, and Harry might not think much of just sealing Lost Logia away instead of studying them.
Rayle chapter 46 . 9/11/2010
Oops, accidentally submitted before finishing my comment.(over-sensitive touchpad)

As as the wizarding community views death as, well, an atmosphere one passes through(the space beneath a dementor's cloak, the Veil), their patronus form is also less individual and represent things that can sense an atmosphere better than a human, but could not eliminate it.

Harry on the other hand has declared Death to be an enemy which does personify it. His human patronus could use the human ability to focus on destroying an external object, which also requires the defining of that external object and the proper way to destroy that object. And the human mind's easiest way to do that is personification, which curiously is all about relating to that object by comparing it to ourselves. Which is what drives most "I have become my own monster" narratives.

But the fact that dementors do so concretely exist in the HP universe means that wizards personified death at some point in history, and that the perception of them as fear/depression was spread later. (This being of course following the Personification view of death rather than the Death Note/Shinigami theory)
Rayle chapter 46 . 9/11/2010
Black cloaked creature has been Death for so long in the fantasy, to change it to depression-operating-on-fear is such a downgrade I'm not sure what Rowling was trying to accomplish with it, other than maybe to try and avoid the Black Cloaked Death cliche.

If you start considering the takes on death in other fandoms, things get so deliciously complex. Is a Dementor created every time someone uses a Death Note? They don't seem to be sentient in the way shinigami are, so it makes more sense for them to be a by-product, despite sharing the same function of "death by Death's intent".

On the Pratchett side, Death has become personified as a result of the people's personification of him, so perhaps in the HP universe death has become a hive mind of creatures because the general consensus of wizards views it as fear/depression and as an inevitable fate rather than as an entity.
Pentecost chapter 46 . 9/10/2010
I have not been online in weeks and this is the fist story I caught up on. Exellent work.
pendragon36 chapter 46 . 9/10/2010
I just have to say that after reading your latest author note you ar now my hero. I agree that I dont enjoy slash writing, but that doesn't mean it can't be just as good and well writen as any other type of story.
The French Dark Lord chapter 46 . 9/10/2010
You can't kill dementors but you can sure as hell burn them crazy!

Keep up the good work!
Elena Kansi chapter 46 . 9/10/2010
I just want to start off by thanking you for writing possibly the most awesome Harry Potter fanfiction I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

And then I would like to compliment you on your portrayal of the dementors. You made them into my greatest fear. (and I know that doesn't sound like something I should be thankful for, lol, but I am) I'm glad someone else out there sees it the way I do.

I'm looking forward to the next installment(:
Speechwriter chapter 46 . 9/9/2010
I love how you can tackle the biggest questions of life, death, religion etc. and then do a complete 180 and write about a bunch of silly girls talking about 11-year-old romances. All with equal dexterity. It's really sort of amazing. Really amazing.

The part when Harry killed the dementor was verging on inspirational.

Can't wait for more. I wish I had spread reading this story out over more than 2 days; it would have been more prudent. And now I wouldn't feel so deplorably impatient XD
dragonfilia chapter 46 . 9/9/2010
Very good chapter(s)! You never disappoint. Keep up the the great work.

...Did Harry just guess all the Horcrux locations?
ilikebluepineapples chapter 46 . 9/9/2010
"You can't just know there won't be any consciousness the same way you can't know you'll end up in a meadow with many-a flowers."

Consciousness is formed through neurons firing. After death, neurons stop firing. Ergo no consciousness.
aaronmicalowe chapter 46 . 9/9/2010
had to check that i'd read the last 4 chapters. was surprised. time passes so quick lol and another week or weeks to wait.

wish i could obliviate myself and start again from the beginning :o)
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 46 . 9/9/2010
Oooo... Can hardly wait to hear the oppesitions view on Dumbledore.

(This is such a great fiction! I have had SO many laughs thanks to it, & I keep mimicking SO many quotes. :D)
Nighzmarquls chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
This segment correct and true, not in the simple manner that a thing can be factually true. But in the way a character is true, an experience described in fiction is true.

I find it funny when people think rationalists are cold and cool and unsympathetic or without passion. These Segments that deal with the dementors touches on what passions and dangers there are for those that seek rationality, I've been to those places and felt those things.

Reading these few parts almost brought tears to my eyes. It was very good, and I am not inclined to fan fiction usually but I have trouble recalling any other piece of fiction that manages to touch on these same elements in such wonderful clarity as these last pieces have.
Takai153 chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
Holy shit, Humanism ROCKED! I loved the whole bit, epecially Harry killing the dementor. I can't wait to hear what the other side of the war has to say about Dumbledore. Keep up the awesome work and please update as soon as you can!
outlawpoet chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
Out of curiosity, how many people do you think have figured this out, and do the absolute number of Dementors drop as they are destroyed? Or are they generated at some rate by a process?

If not, does the method the Ministry uses to control Dementors in the first place prevent them just surrounding Harry in Aurors and going Harold Shea on them, xenocide style?

If the next few chapters were a few months of Dementors being shipped to Hogwarts to be Veres-Pottered, and Azkaban slowly going over to a demihuman prison guard system, that would be a pretty epic end to the year.

(Also, I really love the ultra-Genre-Savvy Slytherins gossiping in the common room. It's a great, Utena-shadow-players kind of bracketing device you've got there)
Zebra Scale chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
You know, I expected his Patronis to be a robot or a computer, not a homo-sapens
Zargon chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
Brilliant as usual. I really liked the human patronus and I really really liked that he can't tell anyone how to do it for very good reasons.

I usually don't like to reply to reviews, but...

"Another problem: I'm having trouble identifying the central conflict and you're already 46 chapters in. Besides conquering death, what is Harry trying to accomplish? And who or what is standing in his way?"

The central conflict is obviously Harry vs The Universe.

Harry wants to conquer the universe by understanding it and then optimizing it for all intelligent life. Standing in his way are Voldemort, social conventions, and the laws of physics (listed in increasing order of difficulty)
w chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
Very, very satisfying, especially the cliffhanger at the end and "version 2.0" (the interactions of Harry's Muggleness with the wizard world are one of the nicest parts of this fanfic, this is partly why wars were a bit below the level of the rest of the story). I do hope Quirrell will be redeemed and, also, I strongly hope Lucius' explanation on why he joined the Dark Lord will be truthful. Please don't stop writing and thank you.
Allen Pitt chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
all the really juicy Dumbledore stuff dates back to when he was quite young-friends with Grindelwald, if not for his sister's death they would have been co-Dark Lords, and all that stuff. Hm, his brother could fill HP in, if HP finds out Dd has a brother.
jdboss1 chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
fantastic brilliant incredible

I am speechless and delighted

I loved the Hermione interaction specially the KISS

Brilliant of course harry form should be a human

Best story of 2010 ( included professional works)
Burkean chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
'Humanism' brought your writing back up to form. The whole HP/DM/HG war wore thin very, very fast. Best wishes continuing.
sadfulness chapter 46 . 9/8/2010
Okay. I already utterly adore this child of your brilliant imagination, but I have to ask something. When Quirrelmort and Harry are discussing how to permanently lose something, did Qm actually do those things (in other words, DOES the villain make the hero?)? Second, did you purposely make the ideas air, water, earth, fire, and aether?
November 5th chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Harry's dementor killing Patronus Charm is probably one of the most over-used crappy plot items in the entire fandom. It has always been an immediate turn off for me; its badly conceived and an excuse to make a super!Harry stand out from the crowd without actual character development.

Until I read your version of it.

I can honestly say that my jaw dropped at how impressively done that was.

Let me describe how this went as I read chapter 45. Knew it was coming, the subtle (and not so subtle) foreshadowing in the pages leading up to the dramatic reveal pointed clearly at Harry blowing up the dementor. However, I did not know /how/ you would do it. The anticipation was driving me wild, I had to scroll up and move down so slowly that one line was revealed at a time so I /wouldn't ruin the surprise!/

It was a surprise too. Even knowing it was coming, the build-up was so well done that I was blown away just reading it. Perhaps the death of the dementor wasn't the surprise in and of itself, but how well it was done certainly was. I have been reading fanfiction for years now, and have seen this scene many times in many variations. Can you guess how many times it has been done well?

Just once.

Kudos sir, my hat is off to you. I look forward to the continuation.
mantimeforgot chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
I believe the answer, if anyone else is reading this, to Quirrelmort's riddle is: "How would Dark Lord Voldemort dispose of 5 objects he wished to dispose?" The 5 listed methods are almost certainly one's that he, himself, utilized, and was thus pleasantly surprised to find out that Harry touched upon them "easily" (perhaps he suspects there is a connection between them in this world).
Hayden Elrics chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
I want to conquer death. Rather, I can now admit, that I want to conquer death.

Kanpai.

M.
KenR chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
I discovered this a few weeks ago, caught up, and have been following it at its current pace since. And digging thru the Less Wrong website.

I hadn't given a thought to Harry's patronus; you must have been waiting gleefully/impatiently to finally get to this part. Awesome and unexpected. I wonder what other big scenes and ideas you can't wait to get to.

"You can't make Frodo a Jedi without...". So if the Pioneer plaque is a horcrux, as some suggest, that means that the MoR Voldemort is much more connected/interested with the Muggle world. I wonder if Quirrell's starscape spell is his or Voldemort's (and if he's just looking out thru his horcrux). Quirrell has no turban, hmmm.
Anon chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
I suppose I'll just get righting into it. First the negative:

How is it rational, knowing there are only a finite number of resources to support the energy needs of living organisms, that Harry would seek eternal life? Unless the entire human race stopped reproducing, which has its own set of problems. Assuming those two hurdles are overcome, there's still the second law of thermodynamics to contend with. And if you plan to wrap everything up in a neat little bow via magic, then that's not very rational, either.

On the literary side, your hero is too difficult to identify with. He is ruthless, unwilling or unable to consider the validity in paradigms that run contrary to his own, and just generally incapable of relating to other human beings. He is compassionate in the broad sense in it that he wants to help humanity, but when it comes to individual people he holds most of them with disdain.

That ought to be enough negative for one review. As for positives, you make a lot of both subtle and not so subtle references to weaker parts of canon that are equal parts clever and entertaining when juxtaposed with Rowling's work. I imagine that's the primary reason your story is so popular.

Your portrayal of canon characters ASIDE from Harry is also quite good, ignoring the liberties you take with Quirrel which I can forgive because he was atrociously underdeveloped in canon.

As a piece of fanfiction, your work shines brighter than almost any other I've read. However, I've read quite a few stories that would have worked quite well as standalone pieces that would have been entertaining to read even for those who with no knowledge of canon. Methods of Rationality, particularly the humor, is heavily dependent on the reader having intimate knowledge of canon. I'd compare it to a Weird Al parody, which I ask you not to take as an insult. I happen to enjoy Weird Al's music.
Rick Peterson chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
And another beautiful chain of logic leads the deviser astray! Except that, in canon, Dumbledore and not McGonagall hears the prophecy, and that bit of logic seems to be dead on. So maybe there are other differences?

Confirmation bias. As a practicing statistician, that is one of my favorite errors; that and the whole disprovability issue, and the difference between target and sampling populations. Actually, I have quite a few favorites, all of which you seem to be covering. I consider this a public service; thank you!
Luna the Spelunker chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Meep! This is the best fanfic ever!

And Less Wrong, thanks for introducing me to rationalism.
RancidRaisin chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Very interesting. Love riddles! Still trying to figure out Quirell's one, though... all... *big* things? That doesn't sound right...

100 points for the Calvin and Hobbes reference in your A/N, by the way. My favorite comic, followed by XKCD.

Nice take on the dementors. It does, in fact, make sense - and the whole 'if you know it, you can't do it' reminds me of a little bit in the Sword of Truth novels (which I won't reccommend, because they get *horrible* after the first couple novels. Seriously. Horrible.)

Looking forward to more. Does this mean if Harry is ever put in Azkaban he can just break out? It seems to be foreshadowing this, or at least leaving it an option.
LadyThanatos chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Whoops, looks like Quirrelmort didn't expect the dementor to tell Hermione his plan. Of course, a protective minion who can destroy dementors can be quite handy at times!
Rodrigo Black Potter chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Well, yopur story is great as allways!

That said, humm, harry does have a penchant to kill dementors, by multiple patroni ( or patronuses?) or whatever... interesting turn, however.

So is Riddle not bad? Humm... Well, he is. He did murder a lot of people, in you Story, at least 7, plus Lily... But is he a torturer and insane little girls murderer like in other storys?

What I want to say is: Can, or Will he be portrayed in a way that he can be..."reintegrated" with Light people, in some level, like the intelligent (or more powerful, you know, the most interesting) people from the light, that being probably at least the lieutenants from the armies, ever coexist at peace with him?

Or will Voldemort relinquish from being Voldemort, and have fun as Quirrel? At times you gve this perception, that he likes being there, as quirrel. And great tip, from the dementor, Death, saying that it will hunt voldemort forever, and Etc...

Lastly, I've been reading fanfiction for some time, six years or someting... I don't really think there is some great School, or place where the different kinds of fics are discusses,(but if there are, please tell me, along with your facorite ones? I really would like to read them!)

But fanfiction is fun, and interesting, and portray how people see the world! Many people twist the laws of magic to their own purposes, I've seen at least a dozen ways people portray magic reserves, or strenght. And it is amazing because you can see, in their work, how they see life, and people, and who they are! And this amaze me.

So if some idiot is trying to put restranits in fanfiction, let me tell you the only one that exists:

YOU SHALL PUT A DISCLAIMER!

and that is it! and that is the very purpuse and essence of it.

I'm waiting for your next post! and sorry for the very long review. (and yeah, you rock!)
SirKaid chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
It's interesting to see Harry's thought process regarding the chain of events with the Prophesy. Perfectly logical yet still wrong... or probably wrong, at any rate.

Also I would be remiss in my reviewing duties if I didn't commend you on an excellent take on the Dementor.
AngelForm chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Well… that was… deep. Very deep.

That description of the Dementors reminds me of the Spectres from His Dark Materials.

As for the PC 2.0: I wonder if you have read Isaac Asimov’s shots story ‘The Last Question’? (If not just type the title into Google.)

By the way, does Dumbledore actually tell the ministry that Quirrell ate a Dementor?
RaeRae9 chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
I was wondering if you adaptate your story to the methods of rationality, or you are writing your own story and see which fits. I think is the second one, so i imagine you like someome like sheldon cooper, and thats sooo amazing!

I love this story, its hilarious, and the pictures of Dracos and Harrys armies are excellent too.

But i would really like to know whats your job, hobby or ocupation that you know all this amazing facts. Are you a scientist?
Selquist chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
I'm sending you my best smile across the internet for one of the most beautiful and enjoyable things I have ever read. I've considered taking a video of my face as I read every new chapter so that I can see my delight, surprise, fear, and other emotions, since I'm usually pretty flat. I can't wait until your book comes out and I can have something physical to give to people and say "read this!" rather than referring them to a website.

I just read your author notes...I think my mind DID explode.

I'd read it.
Howard Russell chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
This is astoundingly brilliant. Genius. I adore this story.
Sarshi chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Sinfully good, as always.
Mantimeforgot chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
The end of quite possibly the best arc of MoR as yet to be released. I was most pleased to find Dumbledore hinting at the full contents of his hand when he asked Harry if he was pretending to be wise (this intimates that he recognized when Harry was pretending to be wise earlier and was in fact making a show of accepting it at face value), and was equally pleased when Quirrelmort "officially" recognized Harry's status as a wizard, thus I believe fulfilling the prophecy of recognizing Harry as an equal (perhaps not his true equal, but enough that they are on equal footing so to speak).

The scene with the Dementor being destroyed was powerful and your explanation of it poignant (I am a shameless fan of riddles sue me).
Ongekibou chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Bravo, simply bravo. The latest chapters have been effective drama to say the least, and a fine read. I do wish to bring up nitpicks, but in no way wish to offend.

1) While Harry is being "all evil and stuff", why does he say very obvious evil things? I'm assuming this was his dark side brought to surface, excuse me if I'm wrong, but it seems especially dumb. He seemed to be forming the rationality to not attack willy-nilly, because that would've led to possible extermination (eg: his dark side fading), however had he simply acted like his normal self, then there would be no reason to anyone to think something was wrong with him, allowing him to plot out a full extermination plan while not in the presence of people trying to revert his state, or at least holding him captive.

2) Why did the Dementor die? If it's death, then shouldn't it have lived instead? Perhaps then it would kill itself...

3) Just an observation, as its probably something you're already aware of, and characters do not equal Author mouthpieces (at least not all the time, but JK Rowling may very well be Voldemort...), but Harry's objection of religion is cynical. Religion is stupid, yes, and the way people tout it as fact is irritating, but believing that there is nothing after death is just a highly cynical and depressing form of religion. You can't just know there won't be any consciousness the same way you can't know you'll end up in a meadow with many-a flowers.

I'm surprised there aren't people who would kill themselves and be revived given how death seems to control the world.

Again, I wish no harsh criticism, nor to offend you, or anybody for that matter. These are just my opinions, take them or leave them.
Pathatlon chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
Love the logic
TYPE LUNATIC chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
...Grah dammit I swore to never do this afpdoasdifuamsdfopu

First of all, the obligatory "I love this please let me reproduce with you despite that being impossible because I don't have enough money to buy a 'I LUVVVVV UUUUUU' blimp" blah blah blah it's great.

SECOND

THAT RYOUGI SHIKI QUESTION.

IT COMPELS ME

LIKE NONE OTHER.

Note that there will be spoilers for Kara no Kyoukai, Kagetsu Tohya and Tsukihime from this point onwards so read at your own risk OTHER PEOPLE (AKA INFERIOR TO ELIZER THERE WAS AN E THERE BUT OUR LORD-SAVIOR-GOD-COMBATMAID HAS NO NEED OF THREE Es)

From Tsukihime, Tohno's eyes seem to work by "destroying" an object's "reason for existence". Dotting a chair destroys the chair's "chairness" and so the molecules that the chair is made up of separate and the chair disintegrates, since the chair is no longer a chair. This is what Nasu seems to imply by "killing".

This implies that the concept of death itself is immune to being killed, because "killing" is destroying the relations between stuff, and a lack of relations is obviously not a relation that can be destroyed. (Note this is indirectly supported by the fact that lines and dots increase the closer something is to death, and that no lines and dots seem to exist for something that has died)

Of course, Tohno's eyes have a lot of caveats and differences from Ryougi's (Tohno's stems from his Jougan aka NASU HAD TO EXPLAIN WHY SHIKI SAW AKIHA'S POWERS, Ryougi's from her contact with the origin. Tohno is constrained by how close the thing he wants to kill is with him, rendering stuff like the TYPEs unkillable, while Ryougi has no such restriction) but for the most part, restrictions not related to Tohno being a nerd scrub who gets headaches should be readily translatable to Ryougi.

Therefore, we can conclude that the "concept of death" is unkillable by the MEoDP.

However, it must be noted that IF Dementor's are NOT the concept of death in pure form (And I gather that they aren't considering that they aren't as omnipresent as death), their existence would depend on some factor OTHER than merely death's existence. Therefore, it should be possible for Ryougi to kill Dementor's. Note that Tohno killed the embodiment of Len's/his own death in the form of Kishima Kouma in Kagetsu Tohya and that he could damage Arc indirectly in Ciel's route by cutting off the source of her power in the form of the planet. Ryougi could presumptively do either one of them. The former in the case that Dementor's are merely a representation of death, the latter if some source of magic (as Harry believes) allows them to exist.

Ergo,

1) Assuming that the "Death" caused by Tohno and Ryougi are the same, or similar enough

2) And that Dementors are a representation of Death or a magically powered form of death

3) Then yes, Ryougi can kill Dementors.

QUADRUPLE.

ELEPHANT.

DECIMATION.

(Sidenote: Nasu doesn't seem to have a quite self consistent rule for death. Ryougi manages to kill appendicitis but not ARGH MY ARM IS SPAGHETTI. TYPEs somehow manage to have no concept of death but still manage to be destroyed in some vague way)

FOURTH IF YOU DISAGREE WE ARE DIVORCING
Borror0 chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
"The Patronus Charm," Harry said. "Version 2.0."

Isn't a bit anachronistic there? I doubt that it was common, even amongst exceptionally clever 11 years old boys, to know how softwares are labeled in 1991. More importantly, that might have been complete gibberish to Dumbledore, a wizard with little knowledge of science or computers.

Since the following line lends itself well to it ("I rejoice to see that you are your usual self again," said Dumbledore.) how about Harry explaining what that means? It's 1992 after all.
dkk chapter 46 . 9/7/2010
"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

I may disagree with a lot of what you believe, but I'm glad you aren't willing to take Death lying down. It's an evil we abhor in common.

Keep writing your marvelous work. I've been a reader since chapter 5 (what was that, early March? Wow, it's been a fun ride), and I enjoy it immensely.
him-mione chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Also:

Harry's Dementor-induced memory of his parents' death is not quite what Rowling had written. But Harry had noticed only moments before that as he thought of a thing, the Dementor twisted that memory into death and evil. Is this what happened to the 'memory' of Voldemort's house call? If so, does Harry recognize this, or will the falsehood escape him and lead him down wrong paths? Harry himself was surprised that he had the memory, that the neural pathways had not decayed from disuse-can we be certain that it is an accurate recall? I am not certain that Harry should be basing his deductions and courses of action upon a memory given to him by the Shadow of Death.
him-mione chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
As with Star Trek and Doctor Who, I love the artistic endeavors of humanists-people who actually believe that humanity has the capability of being better and brighter than we are now, and that we are only in our infancy. It's a welcome change, that's for certain!

Harry's 'happy thought' truly is a happy thought, even if it's different than what people expect, but it makes sense. As it's not really based on an emotion, it's not something the dementors can take away-rather like Sirius Black's knowledge of his innocence in Azkaban, in 'The Prisoner of Azkaban.' Good on you for both adhering to the source material, and improving it at the same time.

I'm looking forward to the next posting!
Not-A-Spy chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Thank you for posting chapters up again. Your story is very, very interesting.
N chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Ah. I see now why Quirrel keeps him around.

Brilliant series of chapters. Thanks for writing.
Merlini chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Wow... Just wow. Those last 4 chapters were AMAZING! And your authors note was hilarious! Keep writing dude, this stuff is gold!
Max Knight chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
The Patronus scene was epic. I loved the talk down of the dementor by Harry. Homo Sapien eh? Then, maybe his animagi form is...homo superior? Heh, imagine shooting lazer beams out of his eyes ala Cyclops...

Well what can I say, 4 straight updates kept me...hungry for more.
Morbious20 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Awesome chapter can't wait to see what happens next .
Niqi chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
...I have lingering questions that seem like they should've been answered while I was reading, but they weren't. So:

What did Flitwick's Patronus say?

Why was Dumbledore stupid to take Harry away from the Dementor?

What word keeps repeating in Harry's head?

Answers? Please? Somehow? Unless you really aren't supposed to know yet?
Raven3182 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Wow. These last four chapters were really good. Well done!

I especially enjoyed Hermione's kiss waking Sleeping Beaut... err... I mean Harry. That was fun.

I'm kind of at a loss of words to describe this update. There was just too much awesome in there. I'm simply basking in all the awesomenessy goodness.

Thanks for writing!
DigiEmissary chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Something that occurred to me: will Harry's understanding of the Dementors' true nature, Death, lead him to see Thestrals? In any case, I'm looking forward to your eventual treatment of more death-related creatures.
Isfet42 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
So, I thought this was a brilliant arc in your story. Very well done. I have a question regarding rationality: What does it say in regards to Solipism?
Miss Cow chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
The Humanism chapters were absolutely amazing!
Almaseti chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I looked down in anguish to realize that yes, this was the last chapter, there was no more. So now I have to /wait/ to read the rest of this clever, thought-provoking and thoroughly hilarious fic.

le sigh.

I hugely enjoyed this, in all the time it took to read.
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
YOU. ARE. AWESOME. PERIOD.

Dementors as a representation of Death? Harry's refusal to accept Death? Harry being able to summon the form of Man to Destroy a representation of Death? GENIUS.

Oh and I loved the whole Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Space/Void theme on the hiding spots.
Louis IX chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Very good story (so far). To the point of me not having much to say except for congratulations on a job well done, and thanks.
Daaku Suiren chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I typically do no do reviews. I know that it is nice to see compliments upon one's works, but I have always felt that writing something one does for themselves. This time I did feel compelled to leave a review of sorts.

I generally love your story. I may not agree with ever thought that is expressed in the text of your work, but there are a lot of ideas that I just absolutely love. I mean I could go on and on with different examples, bit I will only give only one from this set of chapters. The fact that you made Dementors almost the personification of the end.. of the void of death. I really though that was just brilliant. Rowling never really touched on what made a Dementor what they were. In the books the were more of empty plot device, that served to drive the story forward. I never liked the explanation given for them either. How you took them, then gave them a reason for existing other than to be, that there is what I love about this work. You expand on things in such a way that give depth to the world of Harry potter, that unfortunately it lack.

Please continue this wonderful work.. I would not wish to see it gone.
novalis chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Chapter 43: I think your discussion on the Dementor Penalty, while I agree with it, is not well-argued (perhaps because Harry hasn't thought it through?). Perhaps it should be moved to somewhere where it could be given the time it deserves.

Chapter 45 is too long and repetitious. This happens when you get really excited about things during the sequences, too. It should be trimmed.
yamiishot chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Oh, I wonder what Malfoy makes of this all.
Tom Reagan chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Heartbreakingly spectacular.
Reader chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
There are times when you make me laugh and times when you simply knock the breath out of me. It's like life, only with more plot. I look forward to more. Sorta liking your posting style of putting the mini-arcs together so there's less climatic dying due to delay between the cliffhanger and the resolutions. The longer delay between the mini-arcs are a small payoff in my opinion.
Guile chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
The section on Harry reducing the Dementor to nothingness, of his rejection of death and surety in humanity's potential, actually managed to bring me to tears for a moment there.

I would be embarrassed to admit this, but this is the internet and no one in the real world will ever know this fact about me. It was an amazing piece of writing.
Mongo1962 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
"Oh?" said Professor Quirrell. "But there is an interesting pattern to them, you see. One might say it sounds like something of a riddle."

An interesting pattern... we know that at least one of Harry's suggestions does in fact closely match one of Riddle's (the use of the word "riddle" sounds like a hint in that direction) methods for hiding a Horcrux. Perhaps one or more of the other suggested hiding methods do as well?
White Ivy chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Ohhh...Harry and Draco talking about Dumbledore...interesting.
uo-chou chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Hmm, crazy. I'm glad that Harry is finally asking the hard questions about the old man. Keep up the good work.
AdVitum01 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Excellent work. Really enjoy the story. The only problem I have with it is the way Harry thinks about inheriting magic. Or rather his alternative to magical power being inherited, that power is determined by what you eat or how hard you study or something. That it is something you control even if you don't know it. It could just as easily be the position of the stars when you were concieved or born or on the 71st day of your mothers pregnancy. Or what your parents ate. There could also be a gene that determines magical power that is independant of whether or not you actually have the ability to use magic, that justs sits there unless you use magic. Or it could be based on (karma?dharma?, ican't rememeber) your actions in a past life, no one has disproved the existance of souls after all.
109 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I never actually thought that the dementor wasn't just fear, but as soon as you Harry said it wasn't really fear, and that fear was just a side effect, then I knew it was void. But it never ceases to amaze me all these twists that keep cropping up everywhere, like that archetypal problem of making four triangles with six matches. As soon as you say the trick, then the solution is obvious, just how does one come up with the trick on their own? Especially when everyone thinks the dementor really is fear, and they're neither looking for nor expecting a trick?

Anyways, this is super amazing 3
Yvain01 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
You are one of the rare authors who can genuinely deliver the unexpected in such a way as to make me stop, back up, and then spend a while marvelling at how a plot point can be both a complete surprise and simultaneously the perfect and obvious culmination to everything that has come before.

Harry having a human Patronus was one of those moments.

(and the part about the Dementor and the sun sent me into a laughing fit)
Animekitty47 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Interesting chappie. Hermione and Quirrelmort's aftermaths were the best. I wonder how much your Draco'll know about The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore? :P
ZoobsMaroobs chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Humanism parts 1-4 were so good I had no choice but to donate $20 to as applause.

What are the rest of you waiting for? Don't act like you wouldn't spend $20 if you saw this book at the bookstore.
farwalker chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Just read through the 4 chapters you just posted...

And as Usual, shaking my head and saying wow...

Loved all the thoughts before his patronis

And loved this chapter where he's starting to look more into his own history...
luosha chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
wow. that's the best dementor scene EVER. i love the explanation of why patronuses work as animals. i love the idea of dumping dementors into volcanos more. although who knows if they coat well.

but what i REALLY want to know is, if you uploaded yourself, would the upload be impervious to dementors? on the one hand, it's not susceptible to biological death. on the other hand, it's presumably as afraid of ceasing to exist and saying goodbye as un-uploaded you. what exactly is it that the dementor is feeding on? thoughts or substrate? computations? what happens if we bring a dementor into an empty apple store?
phoebe turner chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
amazing chapters!
Unsigned chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Four is life, indeed...

Or maybe it's facing death.
mikhail-ling chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Initially, I thought your rant was the best of all your works I've read so far.

Then I read Humanism 1-4. And I go speechless.

Awesomesauce.
deactivated32456i chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
This is without a doubt one of the most awe-inspiring pieces I have read in a long time. Ever since I stumbled across MoR’s first few chapters I have taken to checking every day for an update.

Thank you so much for writing this so completely and utterly your way.

Because the epic win that was the Harry and Quirrel aftermarth had me both laughing hysterically and wondering just what exactly the MoR equivalent of Nagini could be I felt this needed to be written:

On one particular day in early January, at the summit of an undisclosed active volcano stood a youthful yet slightly balding wizard steadily hovering a rather large suspicious looking sealed metal box just above the volcano’s fiery opening. Before letting the metal box drop into the waiting lava the grim-faced wizard took a moment to yet again berate himself for ever deeming it a safe thought to use a living creature in such a ritual, no matter how unkillable or indestructible that creature may have seemed at the time. Finally letting the box drop the wizard smirked; luckily for him the young Ravenclaw that exposed this grievous error also had such a marvellous solution to divulge. As the saying goes: whenever life closes a door it opens a fireplace.
ladyastralis chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I REJOICED.
Gogolu chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Amazing chapter.
Nielso chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
You blow my mind, It's a right shame that this story takes place in the HP verse causing you to be unable to publish it.

But have you ever written anything more? A different story but with the same thought? Cause Id love to read that, just send me a PM

N
ImperialHippy chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Ha! Your fan fiction and your rants continue to amuse me. Please keep up the good work and enjoy screwing with all us fans, it is refreshing to see such objectiveness.
Guest chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Excellent story. Not so excellent author notes. Too many rants.
SevereWrath chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Nice. I like Harry being logically consistent with the available information, and coming to the wrong conclusion.
stefan bertram chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Pardon me if I misinterpreted but you seem to make out once the "disease of death" has been defeated then the human population will still be expanding. Surely in a universe where there are a finite number of stars and I assume a finite amount of magic(something you really must go into) a possibly infinite amount of people which will increase I assume exponential as time goes on will be unsustainable, and will have to turn to radical energy solutions such as the stars themselves. Which surely would lead to the last neo-humans freezing to death around the last dwarf star at the edge of the universe after having exhausting all other sources of power. I do not mind advocating continued expansion of the human population after immortality in a universe with magic but in a universe without it such as our own it seems to point only to ruin. (Apologies im rather tired and didnt get my point across very well)
Luiz4200 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
And it was time and past time to ask Draco Malfoy what the other side of that war had to say about the character of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

I wonder which kind of response Draco would get. Did Minerva hear the prophecy before Dumbledore?
MaryLynne chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I think this is brilliant work. I am enjoying it so much more than the original HP. It makes sense - there is no constant deux ex machina to forward the plot. The motivations are addressed. I find myself wondering what this Harry would do in the original HP universe - this Quirrel seems quite different from the book Quirrel, but I expect this to be reconciled just as the at-first-confusing introduction to the time turner episode was.

I think this Dumbledore is the same as the book one, but seen from realistic instead of idealistic eyes. He always bugged me - in the Goblet, the greatest wizard alive can't say, "Oops, that was a mistake - Harry, you are not in the contest"? That was fishy to me.

Thank you for your work on this. I really look forward to your updates.

Mary Lynne

Ohio
wdango chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Well, Dayum. That was a Crowning Moment of Awesome. I award you 9001 points. Wow.
Lady of the Hunt chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Dude. Sweet effing chapters. Effing amazing. And I loved the ending bit on this chapter. Totally awesome! You rock!
Fenrisulfr774 chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
As you've been told time and again I'm sure, this story is fantastic. More than the technical competency, the engaging dialogue, the occasionally side-splitting humor, what impresses me most about this story is simply the amount of time, thought, and effort that must go into its creation. Chekov would be proud, I think.

I read the first 42 chapters in a single sitting, as there was no point at which I felt I could comfortably stop reading. Perhaps a more studied examination would have served me better: until it was pointed out to me, I didn't realize that Quirrell was still Voldemort, and thus the sly insinuation that one of the Voyager probes contains a horcrux flew right over my head. Still, this is a story that I will go back and read again, and again, and each time I think I will discover something new.

Your characterizations are among the best I've ever seen. You've given all of the characters admirable depth, whether they are major players or simply extras. I don't know where you're going with it, but your Quirrell/Voldemort is the best, bar none, that I've ever seen put to print. I can't wait to see where everyone's going.

Perhaps its a bit cliché, but I find this story, more specifically certain scenes and speeches, particularly inspiring. I've never really thought about life and death as you have Harry and Dumbledore doing, though the idea of death as a curable disease has been floating on the edges of my perception ever since reading Heinlein's Time Enough For Love. Harry's mantra against the Dementor resonated with me in a way few things do. Like the best of Sagan, it leaves me with a bittersweet mixture of hope and melancholy: hope for the great heights our species can achieve, and melancholy that I will be long dead before we reach them.

I believe I've waxed rhapsodic about your story long enough, so I will close by simply thanking you, for the wonderful entertainment (and education) you have worked so hard to provide us.
Shebali chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Heh. Really looking forward to Harry's conversation with Draco :)
Arkh Cthuul chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Marvellous chapter. And very evil Cliffhanger. Again. ;)
Jarik Tentsu chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I have to say, your imagination of what a Dementor is the single most amazing rendition I have ever read. So much thought into both its affect and its purpose.

Most people stop at "crazy monster", some make it through to some cheesy "The souls of demons" or some shit.

Also I very much like what you've done in this last chapter. Ie, Harry's conjecture over Dumbledore's character.
Fredryck chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I have just read five new chapters of your story and it was beautiful! You know, sometimes I'd like to be able to forget about a thing in order to enjoy it again, and with your story it's exactly how I feel. Power of rationality, I guess. Also, you know your tropes, and since I've always had a weak spot for genre savvy plots, your fic is really top tier. It's also (probably) unique, which is an impressing achievement. So I can only ask you, please go on and make my head as plode.

P.S. might the dementor be a projection of Your Own Death? Probably not, but it's worth a try.
Loonynamelass chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Knowing that Quirrel is Voldy from the A/N spoilers so long ago makes his conversation with Harry all the more chilling. If people didn’t know Quirrel was Voldemort before now, I conjecture that they certainly do now.

Also- a question which you'll answer if the answer is yes and you might not if it's no- do you read all of your reviews for each chapter?
Guest chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
This latest quartet of chapters was beautiful. I've been laughing since chapter one, but today you made me bawl like a baby. The stars, the universe, humanity - you sure know how to strike a chord in the science nerd.

PS. Chapter 42 was awesome.
Ptronille chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
When I saw the updated chapters in my inbox this morning, I was thrilled. I thought 'So much, and so fast!'

Now that I've read said chapters, I am more than thrilled. Because you managed to make me both laugh and almost-cry, you managed to astound me with your logic and your insight of human's psychology, and you managed to delight me through your writing style.

Again.

So, I really only have one thing left to say.

Please, never ever abandon this story.

And please, update soon.

So long (and thanks for all the fish)

Ptronille
WeatherWatch chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Wow. Some incredible chapters in that last update! Harry's corporeal patronus was brilliantly original. In fact, I'm quite sure this is the most original 'fanfiction' I've ever been lucky enough to read. Congratulations on that point :D

I'm somewhat curious to know whether this Dumbledore is a good one, a bad one, or just a mistaken one... and whether Harry's trust is being put in the righ people - I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Amazing writing. Seriously.
Mikko Rauhala chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Awesome dealing with the Dementor, and Harry's Patronus.

One wonders if Harry isn't overcompensating with the Dumbledore reasoning chain, but of course, it's quite plausible regardless.
Bug Report chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Typo Chapter 46. Offending line:

"Therefore Dumblefore or Professor McGonagall had heard it first."
Alban chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I agree with SomeguyFawkes, but I read this story for enjoyment, not for intellectual exercise. Thus, I approve 100% of the awesome contained in your writing(and this story *is* a highly enjoyable, well-written piece of fiction, don't let anyone tell you otherwise), and since I don't actively dig for flaws/blend them out if they do appear/simply ignore them, this has become one of my favorite stories on .
badkidoh chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Great work on 43 to 46.

I'm looking forward to your next update.
Final-Fan chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
First off, this chapter (all four parts - or, hell, just this last one) was COMPLETELY FUCKING AWESOME. I would have preferred to use italics instead of capslock, but I am not aware that FFnet reviews have that capability.

2. Since Harry knows that Hermione's fears all revolved around death, and given his comments, he must have concluded that she's close to the riddle. But I suppose he has his reasons to put a condition on her opening the letter... Also LOL at "Good Girl".

3. Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Space?

4. Wow, that's a pretty nasty plot if true. I've got a crazy conspiracy theory of my own... again, please pretend capslock italics.

5. What if Voldemort did it ON PURPOSE to FAKE HIS OWN DEATH/defeat? (Actually letting himself be disembodied is probably optional to a clever Dark Lord executing this plan. And pretend I had "Harry Potter" in strikethrough after "executing".) This would let him cut loose from his role as Dark Lord to do his own thing, whatever it may be - but it would have to be awfully good to justify such drastic measures. And he might have to get a new look, of course.

P.S. I was tempted to think that Lucius was telling the truth about being Imperiused. Being evil doesn't automatically make him an ally - much less willing subordinate - of Voldemort. But that hypothesis would seem to conflict with the scene with Draco and Harry discussing a Dark Mark. It seemed to me that Draco wouldn't think of emulating Voldemort, or seem dismayed that he wasn't as "smart" as his father apparently told him, if Lucius wasn't truly his ally.
Dureth chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
My god. So much epic-ness. Your story is really developing well.
Teal Thanatos chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Every plot twist you throw my way leaves me in suprise. The chapters containing the dementor were superbly written, lowering me nearly to despair and raising me up on a swell of euphoria(that has only ever been matched by Toppen Tengen Gurren Lagann, a most superb anime).

The confidence and belief in your well chosen words is something I plan on carrying with me, and should I ever get a chance to use it, they will form the structure of a speech I shall give.

Thankyou for what you've written here.

Regards

Alan
voider chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
How fitting that herry's patronus is a human.
Nongarak chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
Oh my god this was an amazing arc. You are one hell of a writer and motivational speaker. Thank you.
Anon chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
I really like this chapter and the story as a whole, but please spare us your reverse snobbery about contemporary art. I'm guessing from a number of clues that you don't know anything about it and aren't remotely interested in learning more; consider the possibility, then, that your incongruously harsh judgments may be coming out of your own motivated cognition. Feels pretty good to slap on a clumsy status-based explanation to people's enjoyment of a thing you've clearly developed some hang-ups about, huh?
Guest chapter 46 . 9/6/2010
He figured out the table game Dumbledore is playing eh. So what's next you have come close to jumping the shark with this event. Fiendfyre was the name wasn't it.

Never stop writing this story. Train replacements in event of your demise.
KK chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Yes! Coming up, "The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore"
Sayan Kotor chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
/clap

/bow
Roman Davis chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Looking forward to the sequel to this set of chapters that we can all see coming:

blog/2007/06/16/transhumanism-as-simplified-humanism/
William H. Stoddard chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
On rereading the latest four chapters, I believe you've shown us an important fact that's different in the timeline of your story and the timeline of Rowling's story: the emotion that Lily Potter felt as she died was not love, for Harry, but hate, for Voldemort. This might explain some important facts about this Harry.
Jaxtopher chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
FUCK YOU, DEATH! Transhumanism in the house!

Fantastic chapter! The writing, the events, the plot development. And of course, a strong affirmation of lifeism. About the strongest I've seen yet in a work.
UncleFesterius chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Excellent. I like where this story is going! Bravo, good sir, and keep up the good work!
jhonc chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I have read this story from the begining; I just wanted to express my gratitude for writing this story and inform you that the beliefs you expouse in this story, rationality, belief in humanity, while all well documented and 'old' now, it is nice to hear them echoing even here on . I highly appreciate your efforts in writing, and wish you to know that you have gained a true fan of your writing works. Thank you for your hard work, and I, along with many others hope you will continue to update with rapidity.
wisecurledqueen chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Thank you. So much. There was so much awesome in these past chapters that my brain has exploded. I have to say though... I cannot find a single flaw in this. None.

I also cannot wait for an update of this. Seriously. I love this.

-curledruler
Carumati chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Wow... you just incorporated everything into this story, somehow, I get the feeling that you have a checklist close by as your writing this. It's amazing, truly. I'm guessing that Harry didn't describe what he saw because he saw it as a sign of weakness? His 'Dark side' wasn't that impressive, much, I would've expected him to draw a crowd and be so logically depressing that he made them all commit mass suicide. Great job!
Anonymous chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I love you.

I love the benevolent intellect pervading your writing and your measured responses. I love your absolute conviction in human potential and the use of rationality, and I love your empathetic portrayal of all your characters; the way you colour your descriptions with emotional undertones-Dumbledore's compassion in seeing the Dementor as a thin, naked man, the childish innocence of a chocolate kiss.

I don't think you could possibly feel as confident as Harry in the future of humanity-personally, I think we're screwed. Way too many wackjobs holding the button to nuclear bombs, our facility in focusing on trivialities to the exclusion of serious issues, our inate selfishness. And rationality? Heck, I'm just an undergrad, but I read MacIntyre's 'After Virtue' and despaired. Besides, aren't we all too overemotional to overcome our petty issues with one another for a greater cause?

I hope whereever you are though, you're very happy with your own Hermione and a set of colleagues who thoroughly appreciate you. I hope you have a wonderful life.

I hope the inevitable fangirls on this site don't embarass you too badly with Mary Sue meets Eliezer fics, though I wouldn't hold my breath.
SaintPeter chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
The end of Chapter 45 is, by far, one of the crowning moments of awesome in this fic. Absolutly Epic. Worth the price of admission. SWEET.

Bravo, sir, BRAVO.
Sarah chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Can't wait for the next installments. This is getting so exciting. T_T AND I WANT VOLDEMORT AND HARRY TO TEAM UP! Thanks for sharing.
Scott chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I have been reading fanfiction for nearly a decade now, and I've never before left a comment...

You gave me goosebumps, the least I can do in return is to tell you that I've loved your story thus far. Please keep up the amazing work. The highlight of my week is usually the day that you submit a new chapter. Thank you )
Peanuckle chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Absolutely epic. Epic is an oft-used word, but that's what this update it. When Harry cast his Patronus, I was thinking how appropriate it would be for it to be a human, AND THEN IT WAS!

His resolution against death itself was inspiring and made me all tingly inside. Fantastic work.

On the grim side, Harry is learning how dirty a business war can be, especially a war where your enemies can teleport wherever they want. He'll have some choice words to give Dumbledore, I'm sure.
RobotPirateNinja chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Actually, you can forget such info. I'm sure Dumbledore knows a specialized variant of the memory charm that would allow him to selectively remove a piece of knowledge from a willing subjects mind without any risk.
firedraygon chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Harry's logic is a scary weapon. o_O

I love how you can write chapters that are full of crack, interspersed with some serious bits, and then write serious chapters with comedic punchlines. The variety is lovely to see. Keeps things refreshing! Please do write more soon!

~fd97
Stygian Styx chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Fantastic! Very entertaining, and likely very original. Unique. I've never seen another story that destroyed a dementor in such a logical and reasonable fashion. If theirs an explanation at all, it's usually that Harry found some really old spell, or that he's powerful, or that he's just that awesome.
iwannabeX chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
when i started reading this story, i thought it would be a light piece, somewhat humorous for it's constant references to science, and attempts to subdue magic and force it into rational patterns. i had no idea that it would in fact turn into one of the best reads in my whole life. i know it's technically a derivative work, but if you could get this legally published, i'd start a petition to make it an obligatory read in high-schools.
Daesereg chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I have no constructive criticism to offer except a vague but enthusiastic sense of approval for the last chapter.

So: YES!
Balatros chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I will give the last few chapters possibly my greatest compliment; Interesting.
Bob chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
PS: You have NO idea how disappointed I am that the author's notes had nothing to do with these chapters.
Bob chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
This chapter - well, set of chapters - is amazing. This is probably the first time I have even considered the idea of defeating death as possibly a good thing.

(I'm still against it, but Harry's soliloquy was so amazing I can't help but think of it as a noble pursuit in some way)
ilikebluepineapples chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Okay, now that I have a better idea of what you were responding to when you wrote that A/N, I've upgraded it to /gloriously/ bitchy. Very few things get to me more than a bunch of guys being self satisfied over the arty deepness of their dark pain, which is clearly so much more arty and deep than the dark pain of low status young females who write /slash/.
Lynn chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
One more thought:

Now that Harry has no more Comed-Tea right with him, will he no longer get an urge to drink one when something absurd is about to happen? If so, Harry might want to buy another can to keep in his pouch. I don't know if it's *necessarily* useful to know that something absurd is about to happen, but it could be.

...Unless Harry was lying about those being the last ones, of course, but I don't know why he'd bother to lie about that.
Brother Bludgeon chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Harry's chosen hiding places:

The super-heated mantle, by way of a volcano - Fire

Buried under tons of solid rock - Earth

At the bottom of an undersea trench - Water

Floating in the stratosphere - Air

Launched into outer space - Void

It would seem that Harry knows his Musashi.

Blessed be,

-Brother Bludgeon
Lynn chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I love this story. I really loved this update. But I think that every time.

To those who have commented on the change to Lily's sacrifice and dislike it: I know what you mean, but I don't think that's how the author sees it.

At first glance, Lily looks bad, as if she's rethinking her willingness to die. But if she were really rethinking it, she could say so, and live. Based on the rest of this story (such as Draco's actually deciding to drop Hermione off the castle), I would say that in this version, Lily at first reflexively asked to be killed instead, irrationally. Then when Voldemort actually *agreed*, she realized that she'd been silly to bother with begging when Voldemort couldn't be trusted, and that the most sensible course of action would be to fight back, regardless of the low chance of success.

I do wonder if Lily's different actions change the story's reason for Harry's surviving the event, though. It doesn't have to, but JKR seemed to find some virtue in literally sacrificing yourself, without trying to fight back. (shrug)

Now that I think about it, it probably won't matter in this story. (grin)
Dur'id the Druid chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I don't normally review just to say wow, but... all I can say about the last 4 chapters is WOW. And other stuff I've already said once.
JTK chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Well, congratulations, you sir nearly killed me. I have always looked forward to your wonderful, unique, original, and very well written and engaging story with fleshed out characters and am quite happy whenever a new chapter is posted. Thus when I opened my mail today and found notifications for three updates of MoR, I almost had a heart attack. Ahaha, keep up the splendid work, and as always I await to see what other twists and turns you and your Harry will undoubtably take us on.
dongaro chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Amazing chapters.

I rather enjoyed this explanation of dementors. There are some other explanations I've read in other fanfics (lesser demons, wizards who woke DESPAIR, ect.)but I loved this take on them.

I noticed in some of the early reviews people are jumping to conclusions and accepting Harry's deductions as fact. He's assuming far too many things in that last little bit about who knew what when. This is likely to drive him farther from Dumbledore and more towards the dark I'm guessing. I'm assuming of course that the only changes made to canon are Voldemort's knew outlook, and Harry being raised by a rationalist (Meaning that Snape only found out by over hearing the prophecy during the interview).

I look forward to the next chapter and seeing how it all comes together. Sometimes I can understand everything going on, but other times I find myself searching for hints that I know are there. Which makes this fanfic very enjoyable.
Violet Shadows chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
This was without a doubt, definitely worth the wait for all four parts; people can bitch all they want, but this chapter definitely required them to be delivered in sequence if you hoped to retain their emotional impact.
anon chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Very very very well done!

Stirring feelings in this cold dark soul of mine is a very impressive feat! I salute you sir!
Peregrinate chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
:D Ooo, logical. But there could be a gap there. Or is that AU too? I don't know! Sigh.

:D YOU UPDATED! Made. My. Day.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Also your A/N, it is kind of hilariously bitchy. Again.

Your fic always puts me on something like a sugar high. Update soon. PLEASE. It motivates you when people beg, right?
William H. Stoddard chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
All right, I'm even more impressed. Harry's choice of an animal is absolutely brilliant, both on his part and on the author's. Of course the proper animal for Harry would be the animal rationalis. And Harry's happy thoughts were the right sort of happy thoughts for someone who would make that choice. Your work is improving as it progresses. And I have to say, I'm glad to see you get back to the core of the story again.
Sangemaru chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
The KEY of awesome

LOL

Also, Harry's ideas describe EXACTLY WHERE VOLDEMORT'S HORCRUXES ARE HIDDEN, aren't they?

Also, my soul cries at your desecration of Dumbledore's character. Seriously.

Although come to think of it, even if Dumbledore arranged for Voldemort to find out about the prophecy, that wouldn't necessarily be a black mark against his character. Not if it was the action most likely to create positive consequences, given what Dumbledore knew at the time. So okay, you're allowed to desecrate his character a little, if you continue to do it realistically. :)
hjcallipygian chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Huh, interesting. I don't trust you not to change the way the prophecy got out, but at the same time, I also don't trust you to not keep it the same just to fuck with us. )

Interesting bit with the Dementors. Never seen them work that way before, described that way in the stories. I like how you write Harry coming to a conclusion or a realization. It's really fascinating.
DW chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Fantastic! I really love the differences and developments this unique story is taking, and I look forward to seeing what Malfoy has to say (regarding the Headmaster and the Granger incident - hah!). :)

I do have a query about this most recent revelation regarding Dumbledore, which I hope you may be answering at some stage please. If it was Minerva who heard the prophecy, then does that mean that the scene in the books where Dumbledore was interviewing her and Snape overheard part of the prophecy *never* happened in your universe, or was it in actual fact *staged* for Snape’s benefit? Didn’t Dumbledore say in the books that he was interviewing Trelawney for a job at the time? If that’s the case, I find it interesting that Minerva apparently had contact with her in the castle prior to this incident. Also, I wonder if Snape knows he’s likely been played, because it seems to me that he owes the Headmaster nothing for his *assistance* in defending the Potters if the Dumbledore was the one to arrange their demise. This also adds another layer on why Sirius never got questioned, since it would be so easy to search his mind and confirm his innocence. And makes me wonder if Dumbledore didn’t in some way influence the decision to make Peter the secret keeper, since he probably knew the weakest link and it is mighty convenient that the Dark Lord had a ready target to attack, when the Longbottoms and Potters were in hiding...

I can’t wait to see what happens next. :) Thanks for a fascinating tale!
Vaughn Tyler chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
very nice
homunq chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
We live facing out across a vast, dark abyss. We cannot see the other side. We know that nobody has lived too long without eventually falling in, forever.

There is a great courage in imagining that one day we will turn around and walk away from this abyss. If there is a land there, behind us, it is indeed a great and glorious one, and its exploration will be an adventure indeed.

But there is another courage, too. For our destiny is to explore. No matter how many turn to that land where every happiness is possible, there will always be some here, on this lonely cliff; on this cliff that, tight as it is, may well stretch far wider than that happy land is deep. And to make this, this scrabbling bare hold on the edge of a cliff, into a happier land; that is also courage.

In that land, if we ever get there, Newton and Darwin and Hawking and Turing will not be forgotten; nor will Shelley and Asimov. But neither will Yeshua Ben Joseph, and King, and Gerardi; those who never turned from the abyss, who in fact let themselves be cast into it because they loved the fire that they knew would continue past them more than they held to their own spark. In your tale, another one such is Godric Gryffindor. Each of these has shone a light which has illuminated many; and yes, one of those lights also cast many shadows, but I speak not of that here.

I still face the abyss. I hear your tale of a happier place, and I wish you well. But I still walk a path of death, and hope to walk it in the light.
fsdfasefe chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
wow /bows down before greatness!
Phoenix Flight chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Wow, there's no way this version of Quirrel is going to lose all his horcruxes and permanently die. Kiss goodbye to that theory...
KsandraMallan chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I smiled when Harry produced a human Patronus. Somehow, nothing else would have seemed right. A very interesting look into what a Dementor is, and a most welcome update. Great job, and looking forward to the next one.
Nafnarem chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
The slight discomfort and reluctance I felt from reading chapter 42 has poofed off existence from going through chapter 45 of your work. Your ideas and the way you are able to express them truly fills me with excitement. Thank you for writing.

I used to have the exact same beliefs and convictions as your version of Harry does. Lack of a same-minded company and a shrink led me to have it rot though.

You rock dude. :D
nth-x chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
There are moments in your story that seem to epitomize the entire message. Draco announcing in the presence of his father that he would like to be in Gryffindor, Harry succeeding at partial transfiguration, Harry's discussion with Dumbledore regarding ethics and Harry's exclamation of, " oh, you believe in an afterlife" spring immediately to mind. I think that Harry's triumph over the dementor trumps all of those for me. It was very well done.

Unless you are leaving it intentionally vague, I was hoping for some clarification over why Harry decides not to reveal the secret to a human patronus. I understand the logic of not immediately spreading powerful information around, but Harry seems to have a larger reason than mere operational security. Also, would Quirrel and Hermione's inability to cast the patronus despite apparent technical perfection indicate that they are closer to being able to cast the 2.0 version than, say, Dumbledore?

As always, thanks for writing!
Pandora of Ithilien chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
dumbledore is a magnificent bastard, harry is only now seeing the scope of the old man's plotting. admittedly, dumbledore acts with the best of intentions, for the greater good - but isn't that what grindelwald said too? i look forward to seeing how you work with MB dumbledore and harry's uncovering of it all.
lilyoftheval5 chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
OK, seriously, great goddess...

You must, please, give us some insight into Quirrell's head. ;_;

And this four part chapter - Glorious.

Thank you.
Elelith chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
OMG. I'm just speechless. Those were the best chapter in your fanfic. Suspense and hilarity in order, I LOVED it. The last two chapters especially had me laughing out loud like a banshee at 2 AM in the morning. I loved the sentence when Dumbledore and Quirrel spill tea on themselves and they both want to kill harry but dont do it in front of each other, lol. And your very original idea of the aftermath is simply hilarious. I love you sense of witty humour tempered with actual intelligence. This is probably the smartest fanfic I've ever read, you should seriously consider writing a book. On a side note, if theres anything I might not agree with, it would be Harry's ease in deducting what happened with the prophecy, I mean, I love the conclusion he reacher..but he seemed to reach it too easily. Anyway, please update soon!
Xynth chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
Superbly done. That had to be the best rendition of a Dementor I have ever read. What Rowling constructed doesn't even begin to do justice to the idea you have given indescribable form to.

Furthermore, the end of this chapter is probably the best process of rationalization for Harry realizing that Dumbledore is a manipulative genius. And from how you've portrayed him so far, I can't begin to predict if Harry will become a Token Badguy or a Dark Hero in the end.

As for Harry's conversation with Quirrell, was that speculation or foreshadowing? Was Quirrell suprised because those were literally where Voldemort had hid his horcruxes, or just at the thought that Harry would think of those on the spot? If that was how Voldemort had hidden them, I can't wait to see Harry retrieve something from an ocean trench, a random location deep underground, an unknown point in the atmosphere, and the Voyager Probe. What about the other two? Ugh, my head hurts from trying to predict you, so I'm going to stop now.

Keep up the extremely excellent work, I'm looking forward to the next update!
Tiky3000 chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
One, two and Three were beyond amazing, but four left me saddened with the direction his wrong, if impressive reasoning took.
Khadon chapter 46 . 9/5/2010
I've gotta say I love this whole Harry vs Dementor episode. In too many fanfics Harry is confronted by a Dementor and somehow (without any real explanation besides thinking of Ginny, or Hermione, etc, etc,) creates a glowing white stag that gores the dementor with its antlers and kills it.

It was great to see Harry struggle to understand the essence of a dementor and then reject what he found there.

Just an amazing set of chapters.