Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Can't see why this was wrong. Harry made the right decision. Padma was neither hurt nor threatened. He changed her better. And still he got detention. If he had done it the Quirell way he wouldn't have gotten punished even though Quirells idea was clearly the more evil one. Unfair! Ugh adults.
Spy Network chapter 50 . 8/15
Okay I seriously don't understand this. Harry is the main character ... so his name should be in the character listing.

But counting how much Hermione actually shows up ... or spoken about up to this point of the story ... she isn't a main character.

Draco and Professor Quirrell should have been a main character in the character listing with Harry. (I know this story was posted years before FFN allowed four names to be in the character listing).

So I don't understand Mr. Wrongs's thought process on the character listing.

Oh by the way I LOVE LOVE this version of Professor Quirrell ... and wished this was what we had in SS.
ack1308 chapter 50 . 4/7
Social engineering, Slytherin style.
Jatok chapter 50 . 11/16/2016
Eh, coulda been worse. He could've killed her and sent a real message
The Anguished One chapter 50 . 7/25/2016
Yet again, Quirrell's advice to Harry isn't necessarily wrong and what Harry did with it wasn't evil, but it could be interpreted completely differently than he intended and Hermione has to point out how most people feel about what's happened. It's all up to how you look at it.
nanaeleanor chapter 50 . 2/3/2016
I'm really unclear about the Harry/Hermione relationship. He goes on and on about her innocence, her kindness and goodness, but we haven't been shown that. What we have been shown is Hermione being shrewish and yelling at him a lot, a Hermione willing to do almost anything, including joining forces with Draco whom she hates, to beat Harry on the battle field. And a Hermione who from the very beginning has gone to great lengths to make sure she bested Harry in every class. We have seen her cry and scream about darkness, but nothing in her actual behavior suggests all the innocence and goodness Harry's trying to protect. She seems determined to judge Harry's actions as proof of his going dark, undermining his choices. She has been around Harry more than anyone else and therefore would see and understand that he is doing lots of positive things. So this conflict doesn't make sense to me. I always thought Hermione was deeply loyal and understanding. This Hermione is whiny, teary and judgemental.
Montara chapter 50 . 1/24/2016
Wow, he really needs to stop listening to Riddle!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 50 . 12/8/2015
Flitwick is right, Harry really does need to learn to relate to students the normal way. His idea was brilliant, and logical, and not very nice.
ShadowLDrago chapter 50 . 10/22/2015
Hm...
Zyxis chapter 50 . 8/16/2015
Poor Harry. So very socially awkward. Reminds me of myself. ;w; I love this story.
PA chapter 50 . 5/21/2015
I'm still waiting to see the end of this puzzle ... already a over a 1/3 of the way through.
Berlin chapter 50 . 5/16/2015
You should siriusly write a book.
Village-Mystic chapter 50 . 3/26/2015
If he's also going out every Saturday off the grounds with a professor, that also separates him from friendships from the others.
thepkrmgc chapter 50 . 8/2/2014
harry does seem to have started on the slippery slope of doing questionable things for the right reasons, at least he knows he's on the precipice: hopefully hermione can pull him back from the edge before its too late
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 50 . 5/21/2014
It wasn't as if Harry had lied to Padma in any way, when he was Time-Turned and invisible and using the Ventriloquism Charm.

Nice.
xvector chapter 50 . 5/10/2014
Why is Hermione a Mary Sue character? Why does she never come to the realization that she can be wrong?
Talonis Wolf chapter 50 . 1/27/2014
Well, fuck.

That was a bit of genius writing if I ever saw it.

I can't do it justice.
Grizzmon chapter 50 . 1/14/2014
I think he did the right thing.
567zoock67 chapter 50 . 11/30/2013
This chapter was good. I found neither Harry nor Hermione to be in the wrong though. Harry was merely trying to solve a problem for a friend, and the motive behind that was to help Hermione because he felt empathetic towards her, not for any other motive like gaining her trust, or making himself feared. Hermione meanwhile, was angry because Harry's action made it seem like he was in control of her. The way he reacted to her problem, it took power away from her and made her seem weak in the grade's eyes. It almost made Hermione seem owned by Harry, as if you mess with her, Harry will punish you. That I understand very well, and I like how Hermione caught on that and was angry at Harry about it. It shows she has backbone and isn't a Mary-Sue.
Guest chapter 50 . 11/30/2013
This is a well written fanfiction, and I have enjoyed it so far but Hermione Granger in this story has gotten under my skin many times. She reprimands Harry and tells at him when he has helped her, she tries to force him into a romantic relationship with her, she makes him beg her to forgive her when something he did in a MOCK BATTLE made her fall of a roof in a perfectly safe environment where she would have floated. She makes him to on a date with her, then abandoned him when he helped her with someone spreading rumors about her and when her parents wouldn't appreciate her and he defended her. The fact that she is his "true love" after acting like this just makes me sick. She is acting like a stereotypical ditzy girl who knows nothing. Harry works far harder than her and is much smarter yet she's ahead of him in class, simply to keep with canon. I honestly don't think I can finish reading this as it makes me ashamed of my gender. Hermione needs to get her act together. She is also a weak, sensitive brat who punishes Harry whenever he does something she doesn't like by ignoring him and refusing to accept his apologies no matte what he says he'll do. This has been bothering me for a long time and I've finally gotten tired of it, so I felt the need to vent. Thank you for reading this.
Rereading ch 50 chapter 50 . 8/14/2013
"And afterward people did say fewer nasty things about Hermione, at least in the first year, at least in public where Harry Potter might hear about it."

SPOILER AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE LATEST ARC:

Does this mean that Hermoine is gonna come back to life?
reddir chapter 50 . 7/27/2013
ch 50: It was cool how your presentation played on the possibility it was the snake that might be instructing Padma (and perhaps Harry), testing each of the Slytherin to see who might be worthy of Salazar's legacy. A nice touch for those of us (all of us?) compare-and-contrasting your work with the original.

I can't help but think it might have been even more interesting if the snake really was doing that.
L.E chapter 50 . 5/15/2013
Awesome!
I'MNOTCRAZY1 chapter 50 . 4/17/2013
That's not dramatic irony. That's situational irony. Dramatic irony is where the audience knows something the characters do not.
samath117 chapter 50 . 1/8/2013
I'm getting a bit annoyed at the causality-warping power of the time-turner. Harry can now learn any secrets that anyone would willingly repeat back to... a different version of himself? It seems like this would be a fantastic interrogation technique: Tell someone that you already know something about them, including some important secret details that only they would know, and ask them to give you the whole story after you get back from the bathroom. Suspect realizes they've been caught and spills all the beans.

The time-turner is such a powerful weapon, it really needs to be classified (both with the Authorities and in Harry's and other students' minds) as such. It's seeming increasingly contradictory to give them to children, although presumably most children wouldn't be able to use them as weapons like this.
StrangeoneXD chapter 50 . 12/22/2012
Friends come with barbs and roses
W.Kathy chapter 50 . 10/31/2012
Poor poor Harry. Hermione does NOT deserve having a friend like Harry. She is hurting Harry on purpose, because he helped her. Would she be as quick to condemn Dumbledore, who employs similar tactics but better disguised as non-threats? I don't think so. She seriously needs a wake up call. I'm not bashing her, but I'm having a hard time seeing things from her POV. Even the 'victim', Padma, has forgiven Harry for the supposedly 'threat' and things he said to her. But not Hermione, she-who-can't-get-anything-wrong and so whatever she thinks is not acceptable, or wrong, is worth hurting her friend, Harry, over it.
Ylva chapter 50 . 10/20/2012
Hermoine is a bit of a Mary Sue for this fanfic. She was more interesting in canon. Harry is more interesting in this version, so I suppose that's a fair trade, really
voodooqueen126 chapter 50 . 8/2/2012
That was an excellent analysis of gossiping. I am glad that somebody else sees the value of Parvarti.
Poetheather1 chapter 50 . 7/29/2012
Wow... creepy Harry is creepy. That was a hell of a speech and went on to prove why Harry is the most dangerous first year at Hogwarts.
Guest chapter 50 . 6/28/2012
Wow. Did Harry really not realize that cornering a girl in a darkened hallway could be threatening and traumatizing? But so long as it satisfies his persunal moral code I suppose it's okay. Nice job breaking it, hero.
erinacea chapter 50 . 6/17/2012
FWIW, I think that Harry did good with this intervention. Yes, it's morally questionable but if even Padma agrees it was necessary (and she seems to do so readily, not by force or fear), why damn Harry? Very cool, storywise, too. It became clear quickly enough that it involved the time-turner and invisibility cloak, but it was cool nonetheless. I also thought it admirable how Harry seemed to be pretending to have gotten a similar warning himself - only then it turned out he wasn't even pretending that, but Padma's impression still made sense. I also found her fear of becoming too much like Parvati surprisingly understandable.

Incidentally, I still don't like Quirrell though I found his animagus form, and particularly the way he opted to share this secret with Harry, impressive. I'm not a fan of the Harry/Hermione tendencies, either, but feel it's a little early to draw any lasting conclusions for that.
Corinne chapter 50 . 5/10/2012
O.K., I really don't like Hermione. Instead of looking at his reasons or what he accomplished or his point of view - or, in fact, anyones opinion besides her own - she decides to be bitchy and immature.
alex789 chapter 50 . 5/6/2012
typo in chapter 50:

beween

should be:

between
Bastassine chapter 50 . 4/21/2012
What I don't get is why he cares about her in the first place. Maybe he wants her friendship because she think things too much in black and white and he's afraid to turn dark, but that doesn't make her likable. Well, I don't like Hermione anyway so I may be biased.
AR chapter 50 . 9/22/2011
ok...so I get why he did what he did.

And I also get why she hated that he did that..but no matter the motives or the results..manipulation is manipulation. You cant rationalize your way out of it.

He cares for her...does not make him any less susceptible to becoming evil.

"Forgotten how to be alone"...T got it. so completely GOT it.

And it made me more than a little sad.

Great writing
Isa Knightwalker chapter 50 . 7/18/2011
I think that I mostly agree with Hermione's point of view (especially about Quirrel turning Harry evil). Nice chapter~
Ag Surfer chapter 50 . 7/12/2011
Sadly, I've reached the first chapter in this overall excellent story that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I'm speaking, of course, of Harry's unilateral decision to bring Padma around. His decision, and the method he took were, at a minimum, ill advised.

Fortunately, by the *end* of the chapter, my concerns had been addressed and there was no one in the cast of characters who thought that Harry had acted in the slightest bit honorable, or even with an eye towards friendship.

It was cold blooded manipulation (extortion?) of an eleven year old girl who does not happen to share Harry's level of intelligence.

And though no one actually came out and said it, the thought that stayed in the front of my mind as I read the description of Harry's inexcusable behavior was - If you think you have the right to decide what is "Right" and "Good" for others - if you really feel that you have advanced that much as a Human Being - then you ought to by Jove be DEMONSTRATING it!

Sorry, but Hermione had the right of it - Harry is a bully here. I sincerely hope that there will be positive changes as a result of this incident and that Harry understands not to take such an approach again.

The story is outstanding - my intense reactions to this chapter are because I have come to care about your characters and the story you are weaving. Let me end on that note.
Death by manga chapter 50 . 6/7/2011
Something tells me that Patil may fall for Harry as well. And then it'll get into a four-way intersection between Draco, Harry, Hermione, and Patil.
wrongrightwrong chapter 50 . 5/12/2011
this is a hard one to understand. makes me think. Flitwick IS right of course, as far as it goes. I would offer that for an Harry's default "ends justify the means analysis" approach to be sound, the Deciding agent (i.e. Harry) had better have a good track record with actually predicting end results. Harry doesn't. His "plans" have outcomes he can't anticipate at all. perhaps a more truly rational thinker would apply an external analysis to one's eccentricities and reign them in when their divergence from the norm is not giving predictably favorable results. Still even telling if Harry's actions were a net positive in HINDSIGHT is hard. Still, the fact that finds all of this insufficiently cautioning that Harry goes on to participate in a certain risky scheme with Quirrell would suggest that Harry is, in fact, a bit dense after all. Not that this is at all bad for the story of course.

In summary then: cool and thought provoking. yay.
Eli Courtwright chapter 50 . 3/6/2011
"Hermione, people will do whatever they think they can get away with, they don't care about how much it hurts other people if it doesn't hurt themselves"

I just noticed while re-reading this chapter how similar Harry's statement is to what Quirrell says 10 chapters later: "Men care for what they, themselves, expect to suffer or gain; and so long as they do not expect it to redound upon themselves, their cruelty and carelessness is without limit."

Very interesting. Harry may not feel like his opponent is his Dark Mirror, but it's very interesting how similar their thought processes can be, even when they come to dramatically different overall conclusions about life.
ARMH chapter 50 . 2/26/2011
Harry is such a motivational speaker in this fic. I swear every speech he makes is inspiring.
Konstantin chapter 50 . 11/10/2010
This is one of the BEST HP fanfics on the site... and it's actually SMART, FUN, and gives the readers interesting SCIENCE to think about. Great entertainment value! I particularly enjoy the irony of Voldemort being Harry's mentor...
Indigo Ziona chapter 50 . 10/30/2010
"Way to invoke the laws of dramatic irony, moron, observed Harry's Internal Critic. Now you're going to die this Saturday, your last words will be 'I'm sorry, Hermione', and she'll always regret that the last thing she did was slam the door -

Oh, shut up."

Haha. Oh well. Harry should relate to people in a normal way? Nice.
GradStudent chapter 50 . 10/28/2010
Causality seems to be a bit broken in this chapter..
AlpineBob chapter 50 . 10/27/2010
"Reminder: When leaving anonymous reviews, please leave only one review per chapter."

I resemble that remark! But perhaps that is just my self-centeredness talking...
lipasnape chapter 50 . 10/26/2010
Powerful communication curse.

Well illustrated.

What name do you use on books available on ?
Noogler chapter 50 . 10/24/2010
Looking forward to meeting you at Google - I was not able to find details in your profile?

Though, from the flyer form conference you were at in SF, and a hopefully not too small gathering at Charlie's, maybe I can deduce on my own ;)

thanks!

JcR
Phil chapter 50 . 10/22/2010
Loved the "Ender's game" reference.

Loved Dumbledore justifying "greater good" because of the hereafter and the existence of the soul! Always felt he was entirely too like the Spanish Inquisition with his moralizing..

Thanks for writing.
Shadowstreak chapter 50 . 10/21/2010
I adore this fic's unique viewpoints, especially the scientific analysis interjected into chapters. The entire feature comes off as quite good and I rather enjoy the multifaceted personalities. Also, the battle scene in the lake was very well done. Congratulations on a fantastic piece of writing. Please continue wiring and updating.

~Shadowstreak
silentlysnowing chapter 50 . 10/21/2010
All caught up! Goodness, this is a very entertaining story as well as being highly engaging in its academics and theories; you're using great emotional undertones, and you're doing wonderful things with the characters. Keep up the great work!
Rockopolis chapter 50 . 10/21/2010
Is the Philosopher's Stone still existing in this canon?

I have to wonder how Harry's going to react to finding out about it. And possibly react to finding out they discovered it six hundred years ago, shrugged, and went on their way.
Kalisko chapter 50 . 10/21/2010
This is an incredible story. I enjoy the characters, the lack of predictability, the fun twists and the logic you present.

I'm surprised at the sheer amount of drama that could go through the life of one eleven year-old child. It's certainly different than that of any other fanfic I read. Keep up the good work!
Jessie chapter 50 . 10/21/2010
You have really changed the way I think about things. You and the website .

Although I despair of the fact that my mathematical and intellectual abilities are not good enough to fully follow all of the rationalist theories on your website!

I like this take on Harry Potter and I'm very interested to see where you take it...Does Quirrell have Voldemort in his head? Was he always Voldemort etc etc.
WestWard101 chapter 50 . 10/20/2010
It's been a nice ride so far, but I agree, it's time to answer some questions directly, and step up the action.

Orson Scott Card went through this phase of redemption through manipulation and exposition and it sucked then too.

Let it happen in the background, get the story back on track!
Andronicus chapter 50 . 10/20/2010
Absolutely well done fiction. I can't wait to see where this goes.
Nongarak chapter 50 . 10/20/2010
Awesome. You rock.
Me chapter 50 . 10/20/2010
I think Professor Quirrel is trying to turn Harry Dark, and told him to do that to Padma on purpose.

It reminds me of what Draco was thinking in the other chapter: assume that the result is what someone intended to happen and their plot was successful, then ask who profits from it. Quirrel said that he kept a low profile until he came to Hogwarts, and said something about not making your move until you are ready and not provoking enemies, I think, so why would he be suddenly deciding to accept a high-profile job at Hogwarts? What does he want? It seems like he wants power, and has a particular interest in Harry, so maybe he's trying to get Harry to trust him so they can work together and help each other take over the world?

I also think that the Dementor incident with Demented!Harry was part of Quirrel's plan. I note that Quirrel is the only person that Harry thinks is strong when Harry is in the Demented state. Perhaps a Demented Harry would be easier for Quirrel to use as a weapon.

Also: Professor Quirrell paused, his eyes narrowing. "Headmaster, I respectfully observe that you are not looking well. I suggest leaving the remainder of the day's task to Professor Flitwick."

That happens just before Harry's turn with the Dementor. Quirrel wants Dumbledore away so he can't interfere?
sixpacksirius chapter 50 . 10/19/2010
You're epic. Can we be friends, please? :)
RightBower chapter 50 . 10/19/2010
Nice work, an amusing and different take on it, and seeing a character poke a bit of fun at a universe you know is fun. What I'm curious about is how much of the changes are because of the 'what if' (of Harry being a well treated science prodigy child) and how many have you wrought to keep us on our toes/make for good storytelling/other?
Anonymous chapter 50 . 10/19/2010
*poke*

This is probably the best piece of fiction I have ever read. No, not on , or of fanfiction the genre. Fiction. Considering the great deal I have read this is maybe the hardest thing to say. Your chapters have had me in stitches, had me think about things in ways I never thought about before. I never expected a single piece of work to both satiate me while leaving me mournfully wanting more.

In short you have surprised me.

I do hope you continue making more fine chapters.

11/10 you certainly have earned the extra point.
kiki chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
lol, seems Hermione too falls for the not-consider-consequences part; after all removing her good influence on harry's analysis of things can't be that positive P
psamiad chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
Great fic!
Too-Sly-For-You chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
This is an absolute fantastic fic (the best I've read), but as with other commenters, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get excited about it. I read every chapter these days waiting for the external action to happen against which Harry must act, and creating consequences he may not be equipped to deal with.

I can't point out anything specifically *wrong* with what you're doing so far... but you've been doing the same *right* thing for 50 chapters and it's beginning to get tedious. Stick to what you're strong at. Neil Gaiman can pull off an entire book without a traditionally-shaped story because his prose is beautiful and amazing. Your prose is much more of a passenger to the rational messages in the driver's seat, so perhaps it would be worth sticking to the traditional 3-act either externally throughout the story or internally within each chapter.
Unsigned chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
Sorry if I reviewed more than once per chapter, then.
The Count chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
Another first time reviewer here. You mention in the author's notes that you are looking for a slogan for this fic. I couldn't quite condense my sentiment into a slogan, but here it is in a sphinx-esque riddle:

Q: What is the difference between a dark wizard and a rationalist wizard?

A: A dark wizard lets the power from his Wand go to his Head.

Reading MoR has sent me on quest to find out more about rationality, and to enjoy seeing the world in a new way. Can't wait for more of this thoughtful and thought provoking comedy.
First-time reviewer chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
I've read all of the chapters of this (story? novel? fic?) since I came across it two weeks ago. I must say, the days until the next chapter is posted seem to be going by very, very slowly.

I really like this. I've started reading up on rationality, rationalism, whatever the word is (that less wrong page. You've named yourself after it, yes?) and I rather like it. It makes sense, rather like all the chapters of this story. I really, really hope that you continue as far as possible with this, as it would be far too much of a shame to decide I don't have time to read these new chapters.

It would be far worse if I did not have the option to read anything new in this fic/book/series.

In any case, this is fabulous. I'm not entirely sure what the hell I can add to make this at all useful; I'll try, though.

Mostly I'm afraid that I won't be able to see how an older Harry acts, how he deals with Hermione and Draco and Lucius and Dumbledore and Voldemort and everyone.

I do want to see Harry's currently living fleshed out a bit more, though; I'd like to see in depth how he thinks of magic, exactly why he thinks it's unscientific. It's interesting! I want to see more of it!

All of it, that is. I guess I'm going to have to reread your profile page and see if you've stated the final length of this series/project/book/whetever.

Thank you.
TheFinalWraith chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
I really do like that you make sure to illustrate that just because Harry is really intelligent, it doesn't exempt him from from hypocrisy. It's honestly kind of sad how he was talking to Hermione about consequences, without realizing what would result from his own actions.

I am looking forward to him being called on his intellectual bigotry at some point. Despite his remarkably unique circumstances (he never had to work a day in his life, and his parents pretty much bent over backwards to indulge his appetite for knowledge, he still instinctual sees people less intelligent then him for the most part as lesser beings, not worth fraternizing with.
DeMarquis chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
Review: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality- Chapter 50

Eliezar Yudkowski is nothing if not consistent. “Rational Harry” is a character who manipulates people, without their knowledge or consent, for what he perceives to be their own good. He’s done that since the very beginning, at least as far back as the incident at the train station when he recruited the Weasley twins to “haunt” Neville Longbottom in order to cure him of his fear. The whole point of Harry is that he uses dark methods to accomplish light ends.

Often there are unanticipated consequences, negative effects that cause Harry to feel regret about what he did. The incident in this chapter involved Padma is of this nature. Harry’s superior reason gives him the power to understand and “redeem” characters like Padma, but only at the cost of manipulating them, which causes other people to see him in a more negative light. The most important example of this is the way Harry has manipulated Draco. Harry has convinced Draco to study the methods of science and rational thinking, not because of the natural advantages of these approaches over traditional magic, but out of a kind of superstitious fear. Draco believes that he has been tricked into giving up his belief in Muggle inferiority, which disqualifies him for membership in the Death Eaters, and severs him, to some extent, from his father. He thinks this because he believes that Rationality works like a kind of magic, and his beliefs have been literally taken away and replaced against his will, because that is what he understands, and Harry allows him to believe this.

This naturally raises the question of whether Harry (or anyone else) has the right to save people from themselves against their will. It also raises the question of whether the dark methods he employs will draw him further toward darkness (as Hermione fears, and as Quirrel wants) or whether his well-intentioned goals will yet make a hero out of him (as Dumbledore desires), or whether there is some third option that we haven’t seen yet.

As to why he does this, this passage, from chapter 6, is revealing:

Finally McGonagall seemed to relax. "That was not well done," she said in a low voice. "I know you're not used to this, Mr. Potter, but people do care about you. Please be kind to them."

Harry looked down at his shoes. "They shouldn't," he said with a tinge of bitterness. "Care about me, I mean."

"You saved them from You-Know-Who," McGonagall said. "How should they not care?"

Harry looked up at McGonagall and sighed. "I suppose there's no chance that if I said fundamental attribution error you'd have any idea what that meant."

In other words, not only does Harry have difficulty relating to others on a sentimental level, his reasons for not doing so are so strong that no one can argue him out of them.

Ambivalent protagonists can be quite interesting, and if the stakes are nothing more than the eventual state of Harry’s soul, then that might make a good foundation for a story about self-reflection and coming of age. Yet in a fanfiction based on a series of action-adventure novels, one wants to see higher stakes. So far we have seen various characters aligned into different opposing factions Dumbledore-McGonigal-Flitwick vs. the Maloys and the Deatheaters, with Snape and Quirrel’s status left somewhat undetermined, but so far these other characters have focused their attention, within the story, on Harry, and rarely on each other. One would like to see Harry get involved in plots with bigger stakes. In action-adventure stories with literary ambitions, an external conflict should reflect the inner conflict, and resolving the one helps the character address the other.

In other words, after fifty chapters lets get on to the Philosophers Stone, or whatever equivalent plot device Yudkowski is intending to use (if Quirrel is Voldemort and Voldemort is therefore not in need of re-birth, then some alternate large scale conflict is needed).
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
*gasp* I was JUST trying to explain dramatic irony to my friend. Now I have an example.

Ah... And the story becomes concise. Nice.
hawaiiancostley chapter 50 . 10/18/2010
I must say that this is by far the best fanfiction I have read over my entire life and trust me that's alot of reading. I cannot wait for you next update this is absolutely amazing.
Jace C chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
Really fantastic story, however, Hermione is a bbit of a downer amongst the extremely cool scientific wins, and the pure madness. She's not talking to Harry because he stood up for her? Something similar also happened a few chapters ago when Draco and Hermione were climbing Hogwarts and Hermione fell. You can't realistically believe that after a girl forces a boy to jump off a roof to make things even would actually happen, no matter how close they are. Quirrel is a complete badass.
Rohan Bernett chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
Again, another splendid chapter. Exactly the quality I've come to expect from you.

I don't have much to say in detail about the chapter itself, other than the fact that it looks to me so far that Harry did the right thing.

The author's note, however, that was really quite interesting. The act of not writing an explanation for a set of decisions or events after them, but instead going back and editing it into the story at an earlier point in time so the reason behind the events leads into them does seem pretty natural. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you have a dozen or so chapter fragments sitting around on your hard drive with vague timeline placing notes just waiting for the main part of the story to catch up with them so they can be seamlessly glued into place.
Crystal O. Grapher chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
I have been remiss not to tell you earlier that I am enjoying this fic a lot. I am glad that you include in your Author's Notes recognition that making your protagonist stronger requires making the antagonist stronger as well, for good drama, because SuperSmartRational!Harry is a little hard to take. I look froward to seeing the direciton you take with this story, but just now I'm dreading what Quirrelmort has in store for Hermione to (try to) drive Harry dark. I also share a previous commenter's suspicion that Harry's anti-Enlightenment secrecy will play a role as things unfold.
Ambrozy chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
Salazar Slytherin and Godric Gryffindor have both hidden special 'weapons' for chosen people in Hogwarts - the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets, and the Gryffindor Sword jumping out of the Sorting Hat (to the author: it happens for the second time in the last book). It seems to me that special aritifacts implemented in Hogwarts by Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw would make nice plot devices (and increase the symmetry of the system, yay!).

In ch. 50, Principled!Hermione tells Padma that the corridor meeting was staged by Harry. With this and other facts, Padma may deduce (just like Quirell) Harry's posession of the Cloak or the Time Turner - especially if Harry is going to train her in reasoning. Wicked!

I used to assume that Quirrel's zombie state was for when Tom Riddle left his body to do some other interesting things. Today, I came back to ch. 12 only to realise that he actually has not two but three modes of operation: the drooling zombie, the brilliant and colder-than-steel teacher and the stuttering nervous man. I guess I need a new hypothesis, explaining all three modes!

Also, this fic is supposed to be about children in a school. Consistency would require some chapters taking place during lessons. Really.
kewangji chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
Superb chapter. I like your ideas about foreshadowing, though I think I'd have to reread things a few times before I catch hints like those. Keep the good work up!
Where the gras is greener chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
And fighting against the rain-slick precipice to darkness they do.

It is interesting how the meshwork of opinions and relationships works and how information gets changed and appropriated down the line.

I assume the part about wanting to be out of harmony with her sister which Padma hadn't told anyone about Harry knew due to her telling him in the afterglow of her experience. I would liked to have known how Harry knew the exact turn of phrase to greet Padma with when she entered the common room but then it struck me - it was a stable time loop: Padma gets the ghost talk with insider information and a special phrase - afterwards she put Harry on the spot who greets her with a special phrase - they have a talk in which Harry acquires insider information - Harry timeturnes and gives Padma the talk that rattled her using insider information and special phrase which both had been provided when Padma had a talk with Harry after her ghost talk. I think Harry had an introspective day in which he coined the phase and later used it in his ghost talk to Padma since he saw her expression change when he unwittingly used it in the common room.

Grah, logic and succession of events are hard to untangle in a time loop - at least its stable and Harry is used to it by now.

Back to the original reason for my review: Will the story run long enough for the time turner to have an effect on Harry's real and perceived age? Since he ages two extra hours per day he should be about three weeks older in nine month of use or a month after a whole year. Well... I think I once again answered my own question. Even if he used the time turner every day he would only age a month per year more and since graduation is after seven years it would be seven month at most. I assume the birth dates widest gap in the respective classes is more than seven month. Harry might age more rapidly than his classmates but it can't be perceived by his classmates due to the low rate.
Armagnac chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
This chapter shows, perhaps more than any previous, that Harry is a consequentialist and Hermione is a deontologist. Harry thinks he did right because the end result of his actions was good. Hermione thinks he did wrong because his means were wrong in themselves, regardless of consequences.

Harry has converted Padma to the rationalist form of the Light, but perhaps he needs to convert Hermione to consequentialism. I'm not sure she can cast Patronus 2.0 while holding a fundamentally deontological ethical theory.

On the other hand, fully embracing consequentialist ethics carries a lot of risk of going Dark. If you both take consequentialism seriously and also make a significant error in logic, you can convince yourself to do all sorts of terrible things.
Guile chapter 50 . 10/17/2010
Wasn't Harry's Time-Turner locked outside of going to class to prevent mischief like that?
Remoara chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Um, shouldn't one of the other characters, or Harry himself, have blatantly and explicitly put out the obvious question, "Why didn't you go to Padma as YOURSELF, as a fellow student, and skipped all the wacky 'oooh, I'm a ghost!' nonsense?"?

Arrrrg this story is so awesome. I wish it was fully translated in Spanish. I'm in Mexico studying Spanish for my vacation and I'm having trouble finding this kind of reading material that I want to go over again and again in Spanish...
dogsby chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
This chapter goes to show why I don't like the character Hermione and how Harry lets her emasculate him. I like my Harry(s) strong, but there isn't enough of them, in the M/M genre. I usually skip her dialog and get to the good part of the story.

Great writing, look forward to reading more! Thank for the story. Can you imagine her going a week, with out Harry speaking to her or having to answer every single question she asks, or better yet answering every question in class and beating her in top marks every time. Now that's a story, I would love to read. There's just something about her, Ron, and Ginny, that bugs the heck out of me. I by pass Ron and Ginny pairings totally.
E.A.V chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Poor, poor Harry. Sometimes you can be too smart for your own good.

It seems like Harry still is growing and learning...I'm glad to see this. It's his learning process that makes his character interesting to me.
dinosaurusgede chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
EXCELLENT CHAPTER!
mynameisthedoctor chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I've started reading some sequences because of the story. "Politics are the poison of the mind" and "Hindsight bias" blow my mind. Maybe Someone should give him a pep talk in the coming chapters involving some of that logic. But I can't decide who I want to see give him that talk. Querrel no. Dumbledoor is currently being scrutinized and can't be listened to impartially though it does still has some appeal how THAT discussion could go if he brings up his own past mistakes. McGonagall Doesn't seem to have a major intelligence upgrade like the rest of the cast necessary to make that kind of observation but I could be wrong. Flitwick's character isn't developed as a mentor Harry is Draco's mentor and Hermione isn't talking to him. So who is left who can tell him that every decision has down sides optimistically?
Luiz4200 chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Harry must be more careful.
mantimeforgot chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Self-Centeredness is a good chapter; a little on the short side, but definitely a good show of how Harry plans on approaching the issue of "redeeming" the House of Slytherin.

I think what this chapter illustrates though is the difference between morally good by nature (innocence) and morally good by choice (I'm not sure if this has a name, but the term "principled" is what I use). And this is an important distinction that I do not think most people seem to recognize. I am capable of thinking about how to do something "Evil." But I have known some people for whom the very notion of thinking about how to do "Evil" was foreign to them. That is it simply would not have occurred to them that such a thing was possible even in retrospect.

Taking advantage of this is not a show strength, and I think that is the underlying message Harry could have been trying to get across (don't want to put words in the author's mouth), but rather a show of weakness. It is not a clever ploy (no utilitarian gains to be made); it does not prove your social dominance in any meaningful way (she does not even oppose you); it does not prove your capability at plotting (she might not even recognize it)... essentially you do nothing worthwhile.

Side Note:

Thinking about the nature of brain-consciousness relationship and the world of magic. Suppose Harry (or someone Harry pays to do so) uses free transfiguration on a dead man's brain and makes it return to its state that it had during life. Brain as an antenna, or Brain as complete material necessity, for consciousness would then cause the person to spring back to life (assuming blood flow could be restored) for as long as the transfiguration would last, Yes? This would quite neatly test for the presence of a soul would it not? If there was a secondary (light body/soul) feature that was attached to the body/brain and "its" presence was required, then "merely" changing the brain back would not return someone to consciousness despite all physiological factors being returned to "life normal."
Rigal chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I absolutely adore your story! Very, very much. HArry is so frightenig cuz he doesn{t seee the wrong in his actions. And his ability to persuade people...
The French Dark Lord chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Sweet!
Mikko Rauhala chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I thought Harry's handling of Padme especially after (or, for Harry, before) the corridor meeting was rather excellent. Also, I'm glad that even after it was revealed to be Harry's doing, Padma was smart enough to still realize that even if she was being manipulated, it was done truthfully (if perhaps slightly ill-advisedly).

Though I can relate to some of the students getting freaked by her coming out of such an encounter with an amicable attitude. "Yes-my-Dark-Lord-Harry-sent-a-ghost-after-me-and-it-was-a-good-thing."
firedraygon chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Fantastic chapter, I love how Harry's trying to become the redeemer now, and how Hermione is so staunchly against manipulation that she still disapproves. Great work! Please write more soon!

~fd97
OneWhoFrogs chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
So we're now 50 chapters in. Here's hoping that it'll take another 50 to complete the story!

Although I don't know if it was intentional, I couldn't tell whether the person behind the "ghost" was Harry or Quirrell until the very end. It really emphasizes how much Harry is being influenced.
ejhawman chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Invisibility is magic most adults can't do? Crabbe and Goyle must have been more talented in the books than they were made out to be, doing Disillusionment in seventh year. Or are you saying Disillusionment Charms are not invisibility, but camoflage? The Disillusioned person is visible, but matches the background?

Padma may also not know about Harry's Invisibility Cloak...

Aspersions cast on Padma. She automatically thinks someone snarked on her - is told that the teachers are sharper than that, they didn't need to be told - which makes them VERY sharp teachers, as most Muggle teachers have too many things to keep track of to notice such minor relationship issues on their own, hence they HAVE to be told. Hmmm. Has Padma had much experience with Muggles?

I am loving this whole exchange. So many eleven-year-olds need this kind of treatment, someone to explain to then how much they are hurting those around them, dissuade them from bullying. Padma is probably not really going far down the path to darkness anyway, she would outgrow this bit of overcompetitiveness, but this exchange works as a good test of this form of therapy, giving her a slight nudge.

Quirrel's advice: straight to the point, How To Be A Good Slyterin 101. Information is key.

Harry suffers a bit for his technique. But the Light wins this round.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I really like your Padma. You have a gift for creating nuanced portraits of those who are "on the precipice"... Padma, Draco, maybe Harry. I'm afraid I can't see Hermione's side of this moral dilemma. It seems to me like Harry did absolutely the right thing! And this is why I don't agree with people who say that Hermione is too perfect, because her rigid moral system is kind of messed up. If she'd gone the "stop fighting /my/ battles, that makes me look weaker" route instead of the "what you did was immoral" route, that would've made much more sense (to me). Harry's Inner Critic is hilarious; keep on injecting little bits of humor into the story.
Vaughn Tyler chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
nice
RasberryDreams chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Great quality, as always. Interesting side plot! I love the way you're developing the side characters that surround Harry.
potatos-ate-my-soul chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I like this story, it is original, explores morality on a complex level and is well written. Having said that I find your characterization of hermione infuriating and flawed. No one is perfect, no one is as pure and wonderful and effortlessly moral as the hermione you portray. The hermione from the books is socially awkward, a sucker for authority and bossy. In short she is an eleven year old girl who despite being extremely intelligent, is still a child. I realize that a 'pure' hermione acts as a counter to the 'dark' proffesor Quirrel but good characters are not one dimensional.

Having said that the quality of your writing is extremely high and I look forward to more.
badkidoh chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Another great chapter. I'm looking forward to your next update.
Theodosia chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I like the new story summary!
Vampyromaniac chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Small correction. If you are referring to the canonical spell that creates light, it is 'Lumos' not 'Luminos'.

Side note - did you end up going back and reading book 7 after a few people chewed you out over Snape/Lily? It surprised me that you started writing this fic without having read the Deathly Hallows, given how important the final book is for tying everything together, and even one who chooses to deviate wildly from canon should at least know what it is that he is deviating from. Departures from canon should be deliberate and thought out, and not a consequence of ignorance of canon. The high standard you've set leads me to expect all departures to be significant, and to anticipate big things from MoR and how everything is resolved.
Peregrinate chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
:D Another chapter. Ooo, and is that a little reference/echo to the Sword of Good that I spot? :)

You're amazing. The people at DLP are judgmental, blind, and infamous for unfair criticism.
Adeptis chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Good chapter.
wisecurledqueen chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Beautiful piece. The way you write the feeling of falling to either sides is great, and the precipiece part was wonderful. Great chapter!

-curledruler
Gryffandor for Chaos chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Harry really, really, really needs to start running his plans by people. Other than Quirrel. For example, why didn't he ask flitwick for his advice before plotting how to help hermione? Or dumbledore? Or even draco, who at this point might help him?

Did he learn nothing from hermione's first victory as a general about solving problems? He doesn't have a monopoly on insight.
farwalker chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Harry does need some socialization. And how is he going to learn but to try and sometimes fail. Hermoine is pretty unyeilding, and they're encounters with each other teaches them both I think.

His inherit respect for all sentience keeps him from going Dark.
tapczan chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I beg: continue to do this.
Paosheep chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I am continually impressed by your ability to make me feel what Harry feels with such accuracy.
Morbious20 chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Great chapter keep'em coming.
Pandora of Ithilien chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
i've never felt any sympathy for anyone who spreads rumors or bullies people, but i actually felt sorry for padma. not because harry messed with her - though he really does need to learn how to relate normally to people, or at least less... drastically - but because of the parvati thing. i can't even imagine the idea of forever trying to be different than the girl you're identical to, and having it be such a powerful desire you'll start doing things you probably wouldn't otherwise.
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Very interesting chapter, as always.

So far as I know, the only light-side method, perhaps the only reliable method, of preventing bullying is to build a school culture from the top down where the administration, teachers, and students all oppose it. However, this lacks the drama needed for fiction.
Larry Huss chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Very good chapter, good use of secondary characters, particularly with Padma's wishing to seperate herself from being a twin, and only a twin. The Weasley's chose the other path, of curse.

yrs. L. Huss
Balatros chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Hi, my name is Jesse and I have been reading your story since it came out. I have always found it interesting and enlightening, recently I read a quite enjoyable book and I think that the precepts in it would work Very well withe either Harry's own character or as a lesson by professor Quirrell. The book is called "The 48 Laws of Power. by Robert Greene and Joost Elffers." it is a wonderful thing, it details 48 key rules of how to obtain and then maintain power, and it then gives real world applications in the form of people who successfully followed the rule and gained everything and people who broke the rule and lost everything.

If you decide to read it I think it could help out a bit, either way thanks for reading the review and keep up the good work.

Jesse
Zeeko chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I loved this chapter. It's showing the complexity of Harry's mind, and of the human mind. Ignoring that it's ridiculous for any 11 year old's to have such complex minds, I love your fic soooooooooo much, and I read your updates the second I get the email. Can't wait for the next update :) Keep up the great work.
lobocom chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
The path to darkness is taken. Will harry turn back? I hope not!
AngelForm chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Hermione has forgotten, or likely never learned, that good is not nice.

Being nice is what leads good men to do nothing in the face of growing evil.
McQueriosity chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
This story is masterfully written and we need more Rationalist!Hero stories. Half the magic seems to be in how you approach the Potterverse, I wonder what you would do with fiction based in your own created world.

I remain a dedicated follower
Canisse chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Great! But still, I think Harry did the right thing. He may not have thought it completely through, but he only wanted to protect Hermione, and help Padma at the same time. He didn't think at all about having fun, so I think it really was light, and so it was alright.
skeptic7 chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
The best thing about this chapter is that Harry Potter careful plans and plots can come back and bite him in the rear. Its nice to know that the great Potter can not control the chaos of life.
Tiky3000 chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Professor Flitwick hit the nail right on the head. Relating to people without poorly thought out plots actually didn't occur to me when I thought about where Harry went wrong. I like how Hermione keeps standing on principle.
phoebe turner chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
i loved it!
DrE chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
This chapter is below your regular standard, while it is decent, it is not the brilliance I'm used too from this story
Gogolu chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Nice.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Ah, very enjoyable, deep and overall fun to read.

Also another funny "Potter-is-so-blind" moment.

Cant wait for more.
Dureth chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
That was unexpected.
Ptronille chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
I want this fiction to reach first in reviews, because it deserves to be read a hundred times more than the number of reviews you've got.

Your characters are so full of questions, so... humane (in the 'belonging to the human race' sense) that it's incredible. I hope one day I can write like that. I also hope that you never stop writing, and that you don't stop this story half-way, either.

Oh, by the way, is there a specific number of chapters planned for this fiction ? (I almost dread the answer - I want it to go on forever ! :P)

I was very glad to see the alert in my mailbox this morning, it made my day ! Thank you for another amazing chapter.

Ptronille
WB chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
The interplay between your characters, and the ethical dilemmas they face, become more and more compelling with each chapter you post.

Thank you.
Violet Shadows chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Short, but fun; the whole crush her with truth was amusing.
Sarshi chapter 50 . 10/16/2010

I love the way you write Harry. Genius and kidand no social skills with a bit of an idiot thrown in for good measure.

And I can sense TV Tropes sprinkled all over it :P
Debate4life chapter 50 . 10/16/2010
Another good chapter in my favorite story! More please!

-Grace