Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Nacktgranate chapter 52 . 10/2
Why is the chapter "Title Redactet Pt. 1" followed by "The Stanford Prison Experiment Pt. 2"? Are'nt there at least 2 Chapters Missing?
ack1308 chapter 52 . 4/7
Oh boy.

Voldemort's playing a deep game.

If this has been all he's been setting up Harry to do, Harry's gonna be PISSED.
I originally started reading this and gave up after the second chapter thinking too much science. Quite some time later I decided to give it another try after consistently seeing it as one of the top rated hp fics. So glad I did! This book is awesome so far. I get sad knowing it's going to end at some point
Jatok chapter 52 . 11/16/2016
Interesting. All of it.
The Anguished One chapter 52 . 7/28/2016
This is a trying time for poor Harry. He wants to destroy this place, to be a hero to even the bad people in the world... and yet I'm willing to bet this is a trick. Unless things have changed so much that Bellatrix really was just Voldemort's pawn and that Quirrell isn't the Dark Lord's puppet, Harry is being used right now to make things a lot easier for his eventually betrayal.
jwalden chapter 52 . 6/11/2016
No particular review-comments, just a note: "desiccated" is misspelled here.
Guest chapter 52 . 6/2/2016
You have got to be kidding me. Bellatrix good? No. Just no.
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?

Oh wait, that's how.
Dammit Harry.
noamaster88 chapter 52 . 2/20/2016
Isn't the true Invisibility Cloak supposed to shield the wearer from death? Yet Harry can still feel the Dementors through it. Other than this, great chapter in great book.
Montara chapter 52 . 1/24/2016
Wow! There shouldn't be Azkaban! Brrr!

Harry should have stayed away from something like this! He's just 11 years old! Riddle is taking advantage of him!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 52 . 12/8/2015
Wow. Just...wow. Incredible, dark, powerful chapter. I really hope Harry gets the chance to burn Azkaban to the ground.
ShadowLDrago chapter 52 . 10/22/2015
Guess in this universe Quirrel was Voldermort as well.
Zyxis chapter 52 . 8/17/2015
Nah. Just. I honestly doubt that Voldemort would break through at that specific time with no warning. I'm honestly a bit confused. But. Hm. All I can do is keep reading if I'm going to figure out what's happening.
Tula chapter 52 . 7/12/2015
It failed to occur to me that the majority of the people broken out of Azkaban should've been beyond sanity and totally useless as fighters.
jwalden1 chapter 52 . 6/13/2015
Spelling error: "desiccated", not "dessicated". (Irrelevant trivia: there was a contestant in the National Spelling Bee who received "desiccate" as her word and misspelled it in this manner.) Great chapter (and entire arc) otherwise.
PA chapter 52 . 5/21/2015
Oh gods Harry. What have you done?
A Redheaded Devil chapter 52 . 1/17/2015
Are you Eliezer Yudkowsky? The author of that TDT article in 2010? I've seen your website, it's fantastic, I learnt so much about ordering thinking and imposing logic to find the true answer, it's absolutely brilliant. I've read HPMOR about four times, and I never took the time to check who the author was before...
thepkrmgc chapter 52 . 8/2/2014
so the inner voldy in harry is reacting to the presence of a familiar face, Im surprised by the lack of human guards but i suppose that they would be affected by the dementors too
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 52 . 5/22/2014
Dramatic chapter...
Skyray chapter 52 . 5/15/2014
Okay, attempt #2 to read through this - Harry's supremely stupid decisions just keep piling up and I can't quite figure out if it's because he can't say no to Quirrell or if it's that crazy "must be god and save everyone" angle lol
SixPerfections chapter 52 . 5/11/2014
Ok... I wonder about Harry. In this chapter it seems he is uncharacteristically not asking questions. If she did torture and kill for a decade how is she 'innocent'? There might be extenuating circumstances but she did commit countless atrocities.

And he wants to save all the prisoners like some story book hero? And do what with them exactly? Even if a few are innocent most of them are not.

Honestly this is so uncharacteristic of him I wonder if Quirrel put him under a spell. Really.
Wanderer in the Night chapter 52 . 3/20/2014
Arrgh. So many cliffhangers - this can't be good for my heart!
pencuriLumba-Lumba chapter 52 . 3/13/2014
Like it! XD
GiGi chapter 52 . 2/5/2014
Sorry for not commenting since chapter 5 or so, but writing myself IS NOT an option, I have to go on reading. I'm officially addicted; the plot, the scene, the humor, the characters, it's perfect. I can't find the words myself; Pat Clemens tried to describe it in his review on Nov 29, 2010, but it is even better. Let's call it M-I-N-D-B-L-O-W-I-N-G! (Take any reward you need.)

The reason I'm writing now is simple: In the end of chapter 51, Harry thinks of SIRIUS Black as the one who needs to be saved (the hint was: the only person without a trial being arrested in Azkaban), but Quirrell intends to rescue BELLA Black.
So why on Earth is that no problem for Harry, and he even agrees to help Quirrell?

Until now, everything was perfect, and you even solved problems of the original wizarding world, but this is a serious crack in the logic, or did I misunderstand something?
(Nevertheless I continue reading, I'm curious about your next move and Harry's development)
Grizzmon chapter 52 . 1/15/2014
This is wrong on so many levels.
567zoock67 chapter 52 . 11/30/2013
Ooh, this was really interesting. I didn't expect the chapter to jump straight into the action, but now I'm glad it did. I'm guessing Professor Quirrell told Harry to pretend to be Lord Voldemort?
Maggie-baka chapter 52 . 8/1/2013
Below is the review I intended to post for chapter 51. I accidentally hit "post review" before I finished,

"You are about to invite me to join a secret organization full of interesting people like yourself," said Harry, "one of whose goals is to reform or overthrow the government of magical Britain, and yes, I'm in."
Did Harry just offer to join the Death Eaters?
Guest chapter 52 . 7/1/2013
So that makes Quirrell a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude?
L.E chapter 52 . 5/15/2013
Okay, here is one of my very few problems with this story. I am really not convinced that there is enough reason to believe that Bella is innocent enough to warrant this raid on Azkaban. I also don't think there is enough reason to believe she is significantly more innocent then any other inmates to only rescue her. I mean since they're there anyway, isn't there someone else worth the extra effort? Whatever happened to Sirius Black? Honestly, I find the defense of Bella's innocence rather unconvincing. So she was once an innocent young adult, with an innocent upbringing, but then she was manipulated and slowly drawn to the dark side. How different is her story from those of so many other convicted criminals around the world and probably Azkaban as well. What makes her so much more innocent as to warrant a rescue attempt? I know we skipped Quirrel's entire explanation on Bella's need for immediate rescue, but I have read this story a few times over and I still do not understand why Harry gave his approval to Quirrel's plan.

Other then that, it was a great chapter.
Guest chapter 52 . 2/15/2013
Procrastonative2:

Trolls get a free pass because they are ALWAYS Transfiguring themselves. If you could somehow block a troll's Transfigurative healing, it would die.

The only stacked Transfiguration we see is in Chapter 15, which has McGonagall Transfiguring wood to glass to steel, and when she cancels the spells it turns back to wood. I'd guess that while you can stack Transfigurations, they don't become layered, e.g. McGonagall couldn't have Finited back to glass from steel - how is the object supposed to remember what it used to be? Of course, this is magic, so it may be.

Can you time Transfiguration duration? I don't think that's ever mentioned, only that the Weasley Twins can Transfigure something to last several hours.

It's established that you definitely can't (with normal Transfiguration) Transfigure enchanted objects. Harry would probably have tried to Transfigure the Elder Wand.
(Actually, now that I think about it, that argues against Transfiguring magic items via any means, or every wizard worth his salt would have a copy of the Elder Wand or the True Cloak or whatever - unless the magic to apply the enchantment comes from you, in which case you could still exploit it to enchant things in ways about which you didn't know beforehand.)

The "encase a large object Transfigured to a small object in diamond" idea would almost certainly result in a lot of diamond shards flying everywhere. You can Transfigure against tension, which argues that Transfiguration effectively has enormous/infinite ability to exert pressure while expanding and to lift while contracting. Harry could probably abuse that, but I'm too tired to think of examples right now.
Enei Emmu chapter 52 . 2/4/2013
Harry or Quirrell? Who spoke in Voldemort's voice? I suppose I'll find out in two seconds or so...
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 52 . 12/21/2012
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTT IS HAPINING! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D
voodooqueen126 chapter 52 . 8/2/2012
Actually Bella did get a trial, whilst Sirius did not.
erinacea chapter 52 . 6/17/2012
Ah, creepy! What is going on here?

Why Bellatrix of all people? Hmm... if she _is_ innocent (though probably completely broken), it creates an interesting parallel to the way Draco's mum was killed, should that be true as well. Harry doesn't know they are sisters yet, does he?

I'm a bit surprised Harry would so readily agree to this without requiring further research beforehand when he's usually so skeptical about what everyone else tells him.
alex789 chapter 52 . 5/6/2012
typo:

dessicated

desiccated
Brian chapter 52 . 11/21/2011
I thought World 2-2 was the pain in the ass
Coby chapter 52 . 10/28/2011
I love the mixture of genres that are included in this fic, especially the mystery and adventure. Keep up the good work!
AR chapter 52 . 9/22/2011
So I finished the SPBE arc and now I've come back to review.

This chapter did well to set the tone for the coming plot...good conclusion.
Fenrir666 chapter 52 . 8/26/2011
Wow...that is the BEST Azkaban I've yet seen.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 52 . 7/18/2011
It would be such an awesome twist if Voldemort through Quirrel managed to get Harry to free his best soldier lol. I assume it won't go like that. Hard to imagine what spell he used to turn Bellatrix evil though. Such a twisted chapter (Harry helping Quirrel to save Bellatrix).
Caspia Casp Kaist chapter 52 . 6/9/2011
Just assuming because of the title, but..

Prisoner's Dilemma going to be used/already used at any point?
mika772010 chapter 52 . 3/20/2011
It's the first time I've seen this done with Bella. I'm intrigued to say the least.
ARMH chapter 52 . 2/26/2011
I kind of think that Harry is pretty stupid here. For someone who hates danger (or proclaimed so early on), he didnt deliberate much on whether he wanted to do the mission or not. Thinking in stories is Dumbledore's job lol, though Harry does a fair bit of it. He must REALLY trust Quirrel.
Pat Clemens chapter 52 . 11/29/2010
I haven't reached the end yet, but I started off reading this Harry Potter fanfic that was recommended to me by a trusted friend, and found myself enjoying it, no, *really* enjoying it, no, this is by far the best fanfic I've ever read. No, this is much better than the original. It's some of the best fiction I've ever read. No, wait, this is some of the best *anything* I've ever read. I'm not sure it's possible to overstate how much I love this.

Less Wrong, I want to eat your brains. For now, I'll just keep on reading your fic, which has sucked me away from my new World of WarCraft account on several successive days.

I guess I should probably be more specific, so I'll make a list of some of this piece's admirable qualities:

* highly believable, well-rounded characters

* convincing dialogue

* making no more changes than necessary to the preexisting world

* humor that makes me wish I could recommend it to my friends along with a can of Comed-Tea

* thoughtful & detailed treatment of the implications of how things are stated to work in the given universe

* prizewinning memes of rationalism, presented in a form detailed enough to not patronize and clearly stated enough to educate the unfamiliar.

E.A.V chapter 52 . 11/29/2010
Harry, Harry, Harry...

That's a pretty hairy situation your putting yourself into. Why does it seem like you're only compounding the complications?

You're not working with an eye on the future. This feels like a mistake.
HoosYourDaddy chapter 52 . 11/24/2010
An absolutely riveting chapter, but how on earth would Quirrell be able to convince Harry that Bellatrix, of all people, did not deserve to be in Azkaban? The brief recap of Q's argument - that she had been twisted by the dark lord and needed a psychiatrist(wtf?)-seems laughable. Why would Harry be duped by it?
NougatEvolution chapter 52 . 11/23/2010
Re: Channah Challenge; So you are attempting ascent by Comed-Tea. I find this parallelism between fiction and real life delightfully surreal.
LauralHill chapter 52 . 11/10/2010
All these comments like, "So you skipped the part where Harry provided his explanation to Quirrelmort of how he supposedly guessed it was Bellatrix he was meant to save?" confuse me; I thought it was obvious that Harry just admitted, "I thought you meant Sirius," then Q goes "Oh. No. Bellatrix was brainwashed, see..."
Oralloy cousin of Tuballoy chapter 52 . 11/6/2010
Mr. Pseudonym,

I do regret that I can't tell your sister that "Your Big Brother says hi"; I'm in the wrong state.

Never, though, will I threaten her with "Big Brother is watching you."; I do not believe that she deserves that.

Good Story!

Cheers,

Oralloy
tadrinth chapter 52 . 11/1/2010
The missing conversation between Quirrell and Harry over the Sirius/Bellatrix confusion is frustrating because I was really expecting some *hints* to get dropped. Quirrell has been implied to not know about Sirius Black and Peter Petigrew, and I figured either Harry would get another clue about Quirrell not knowing about it, or Quirrell would get a clue about Sirius/Pettigrew. It's also a jarring transition, but mostly it's frustrating. Now, if you're just withholding the contents of that conversation until later, for dramatic/suspense reasons, then that would be fine.

A bit odd that Harry just trusts Professor Quirrell on this, but Harry also already said that he trusts him. He's not going to go back that and risk offending Prof Quirrell. Plus he hates Azkaban and wants to be a hero.

Harry's hate of Azkaban seems to stem from the fact that the inmates are tortured by Dementors, rather than simply being confined. He may also be somewhat naive in believing that most/all criminals can be rehabilitated, despite some significant scientific evidence to the contrary. I think it's more the cruel and unusual punishment thing, though.

I also only just figured out that Lesath Lestrange is an original character. Holy shit.
Indigo Ziona chapter 52 . 10/31/2010
"Her few friends had been surprised when she'd joined the Death Eaters, and more surprised that she'd been hiding so much darkness behind that sad, wistful smile."

Yeah, well, I wonder why she's much more rescuable than all the other misled youths in Azkaban? I think it must be a luuuuurve thing.

You make Chateau d'If look welcoming, and Guantanamo Bay look homely. Your Azkaban is chilling. Well done.
radicalpi chapter 52 . 10/30/2010
Regarding the 'dumbness' of "rescuing Bellatrix from Azkaban" :

In Pt 1, the cliff-hanger was:

How in the name of Merlin, of Atlantis, and the void between the stars, did you guess that I was talking about Bellatrix?"

You had explained Harry's rationality as:

Harry said nothing, but it was simple enough if you believed in the processes of modern democracy. The most obvious person in Azkaban to be innocent was the one who hadn't gotten a trial -

and earlier (if my memory serves me), you had explained how Sirius had gone to Azkaban without a trial.

So for me, the question is less about dumbness of rescuing Bellatrix, as open question as to what Harry's rational is for agreeing to this plot twist.

Perhaps he was too embarrassed to correct Quirrell?

But more than that, you posit that Harry's has great deal of empathy for the denizens of Azkabahn - yet he has no empathy for the dozens of murdered innocents at the hand of Bellatrix?

its seems peculiar.

JcR
Dr. Atomic chapter 52 . 10/30/2010
Just a small correction (this story is fantastic). Harry can't have been stuck on 3-2 of Super Mario Brothers for 11 years because the game didn't come out until 1985. The way you presented the comparison, it sounded like something Harry had gone through back in the "real world."
dinosaurusgede chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
excellent chapter! Harry's patronus reminds me of Pepsiman
AlpineBob chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
chapter 47

"all I know is that you say that Lucius says that Dumbledore says he killed Narcissa. To believe that unquestioningly, I have to trust you and Lucius and Dumbledore."

chapter 52

"while she still attended school, the most talented witch in Hogwarts had been known as a gentle girl (Professor Quirrell had said). Her few friends had been surprised when she'd joined the Death Eaters"

This is a bit of a disconnect for me. Certainly, the first is a chain of three, whereas this is a single person, but the basic principle of heresay still stands - i.e. someone might be mistaken or lying. Not that I expect that Q is lying, or mistaken. But a bit of corroborating evidence might be nice before undertaking such a risky endeavor as a prison break.

And the question remains, how does he know this when no one else does? Or did it come out at her trial and just get ignored as irrelevant? Not Guilty on account of brainwashing? Is that a valid defense? Probably...
homunq chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
I think that this chapter doesn't sufficiently resolve the cliffhanger in chapter 51. Does Quirrel still believe that Harry deduced that Bellatrix was the target? You don't have to do much fireworks to explain - just drop in some side comment that Harry had seemingly successfully concealed his original deduction by refusing to share his logic, or that Quirrel had soon realized on his own that Harry had been talking about Sirius, or whatever.

The possibility that Quirrel's beliefs about Harry's beliefs may not matter as much after these events as they have up to now is no excuse for not resolving the issue.
NamuNamu chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
This is riveting.
Kai Dragoon chapter 52 . 10/27/2010
Dragonlance reference heh, brings back memories of another favorite book series.
gammaraye chapter 52 . 10/26/2010
But what did Harry say to Quirrell's astonished question as to how Harry could have known they were going to rescue Bellatrix? I must admit, it was a conversation I was ready to see. Otherwise, a brilliant few chapters!
Vampyromaniac chapter 52 . 10/26/2010
Kewangji: I would have to say yes P I'd say it's because you associate "Bella" with Kristen Stewart even when it's short for Bellatrix and not Isabella. Personally the HP movies determine what the characters look like in my mind, so my own Bellatrix looks like Helena Bonham Carter having a little too much fun (apparently they had to tell her to tone it down because she was acting a bit too sexy around Voldemort, oh dear). As for what the author said about seeing the pretty movie star who plays Hermione and thinking that's not the real Hermione: to be fair, Hermione wasn't cast to be pretty. Emma Watson only had the ordinary cuteness of every ten year old when she got the part, and wasn't even an actress then. She happened to turn out pretty as she grew up - I don't think there's any contrivance there, like they deliberately cast someone more attractive than the character or whatever.

It was mentioned in previous author's notes that MoR!Scabbers is not Peter Pettigrew because otherwise Voldmort would be holding the idiot ball. Well casting the killing curse against an innocent, in full view of a trusting Harry Potter, seems to leave him holding a pretty big idiot ball.

Don't know why I didn't comment on it before, but

DEMENTORS CAN TALK?
jaauba chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
You'd think Harry Potter would've put a wrist strap on his wand by now.
Donteatacowman chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
I hadn't heard of the study with the eight children... Interesting, hn.

...Huh, Harry? I don't really get why he agreed to rescue her... Not only is he not being very skeptical of Quirrell's word at all, he's not taking into account the professor's bias... and even if Bellatrix was once a nice girl who could be saved, couldn't one argue that about a lot of condemned criminals? And she's shown no sign of remorse yet-she's still a killing machine, even if she's actually a nice person way down deep inside. And why is Harry going around the law, if it's been followed fairly? Shouldn't he be targeting the practice of torture-by-Dementors instead? With a person like he is, it's possible that he'd be able to save all of the people in Azkaban from the actual inhumane part of their punishment without allowing convicted murderers to walk free... And if it's that Bellatrix was actually literally CONTROLLED for ten years, that's more a problem with whoever gave her the trial... is there a wizard law that says you can't be tried twice for the same offense? If not, he could argue her case in court again, once he collected sufficient evidence...

Sorry, I'm rambling, haha! Thanks for another good chapter!
Kutta chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
Great chapter. Also, Machiavelli is badass.
LWCyan chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
"I could try to go back and edit in more setup..."

I consider the whole episode with Lesath Lestrange to be brilliant setup.

It's been forty-two chapters since I started reading this fic, and I still stand by my first review (the one I posted on LW).
Animekitty47 chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
I love all the references in this chapter. Raistlin Majere is awesome, but definately a bad role model. Awesome at a distance. ;)

Genre savy characters are always the best to read. It makes for smart villians and more amusing heros. XD
KuMardagg chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
OK. Mind blown.
thewanderingmonster chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
Haven't read 53 and 54 yet, but I was *so* expecting the green spark to say something... most likely "Hey, listen!" :D
Guest chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
Pweh! A chill went through me as I read the last line. You are awesome and the world is a better place because of you!
Claudius chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
J.K might allow people to write fanfiction using her work, however, as kind as she is, her publishers etc WILL eventually take issue with the ridiculous level of self promotion you're trying to do with this. You need to be careful, don't forget that Harry Potter rights are owned and fiercely guarded by a bevy of people who won't hesitate to litigate and unfortunately for you, you've made yourself very visible with this and you're consequently more accountable than most.

A word of caution.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
Words alone cant explain it better, so a WOW will have to do.

Seriously, wow...
Dureth chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
That last line? Priceless
Kewangji chapter 52 . 10/25/2010
Apt name. Heart-wrenching. Quirrelmort is definitely evil, bringing an eleven year old to a place like that, even if his intentions are good.
Sarshi chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Harry, you Need to start verifying your sources... *worried*
Azure chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
At the end of part one, I spent twenty seconds saying, "what" with different inflections,tones, and lengths, with pauses long-to-nonexistant in between. I was really, REALLY, *REALLY* looking forward ot the ensuing conversation between Harry and Quirrellmort about the innocence of one black versus another, and seeing just WHAT ON EARTH KIND OF EVIDENCE (existent or non) of Bellatrix's innocence/Serious's guilt Quirrellmort offered to Harry, to convince him to rescue one Black, and not the other. I mean, he hight as well pick up two Blacks from Azkaban, while he's out, right? I guess I was kind of disappointed that we don't get to see that conversation, and therefore, we remain convinced that Bellatrix Black Bad News. That conversation, methinks, is the solution to the problem posed in your Author's Notes.

This fic is far too enjoyable. And this is coming from someone who feels like he's missing all the important stuff that's going on, and who goes back through the chapters, drawing lines of causation, and conclusions from possible hints...
Mariana chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
"Hello, my dear Bella," said a chill whisper. "Did you miss me?"

Is that Voldemort speaking through Harry? Did rational!Voldemort realize he has access to Harry's brainz? Oh boy.

And seriously, when Harry was trying to rationalize trusting Quirrell, I spotted at least two flaws in his logic. Bad Harry.
boonerunner chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Can Bellatrix Black be redeemed? Can Bellatrix Lestrange? Is Quirrell attempting to atone for what he sees as one of Voldemort's greatest mistakes?

Also, are they going to check in on the OTHER Black while they're down there?
Parselmaster chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Lesath should be happy about his mother; at least if Harry is getting her out. I'm not sure whether or not she is happy to see Harry though, with your changes in the continuum. His darker side does seem to have some history eh?

That picture of the statue of Macchiavelli is almost exactly how I imagined Quirrell in this story. Kinda creepy actually, as I have never seen that statue before. :D
yuenyuen13hotmail.com chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Bellatrix in leather pants. Not convincing.

Also, "all of Azkaban's prisoners to safety". What? Has Harry forgotten that there are people who actually DESERVE to rot in Azkaban, and even worse? Perhaps there's some in story justification for that, but right not... eh. That's extremely irrational, especially for someone like your Harry.
dundee998 chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Aha. So. We're finally getting to see Voldie showing his true colors? Or is this yet another tease? You horrible person. It's a tease. I shouldn't get my hopes up. Oh well. Still looking forward to the next chapter!
Paganimagus chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Knowing what the Stanford Prison experiment was, and the results of it, makes that cliffhanger sooooooo much scarier.

Its scary to see a train-wreck in progress. Its even worse because, knowing you, it's still going to surprise me.
Work Designer chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
My main crib point here is that Harry does not seem to be rational here at all. His Need-to-be-heroic is making him take an enormous risk. This is Azkaban we are talking about! I don't see the calculated consequentialism here at all.

As other reviewers have said, he should have argued some more with Quirrel. Even assuming a relentless torturer like her is not evil /sarcasm, Is Bellatrix safe to leave in the open? Who/What will restrain her?

When he was asked to use his dark side to talk to Bellatrix, why the frak didn't that set off huge ringing bells in his head?
badkidoh chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Another great chapter.
Me chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Well. This is definitely a twist in the plot. I will be very interested to see what comes of the prison breakout, and what Bellatrix's kid does when he finds out.
sithwalrus chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
dude, posting information like that online is just asking for trouble. Surely someone who is familiar with the dark side of the internet (4chan) could imagine a few nasty and plausible consequences.

In terms if the developements in the story, I am completely in favor. after this long, its about time we see harry get in more trouble then he can handle, because sometimes I had the feeling we would not see the climax until the book is 100 chapters long. Also... You may be over nine thousand reviews soon. W00T!

Great chapter, but I sure hope she at least agreed to it.

Also, the suspense is killing me, and the sleep schedule of hundreds is at your mercy. UPDATE! (each of those is a factorial, so that word is being repeated a practically infinite number of times)
ilikebluepineapples chapter 52 . 10/24/2010

And holy SHIT. Right, so I need to go back and figure things out now. Whatever Quirrel did to activate Harry's mysterious dark side (which I assume is the shard of Voldemort), is it connected to why he's suddenly so susceptible to Dementors? Because he wasn't earlier, when the kids were practicing on the Dementors and the only barrier against them were the animal Patronuses.

Argh Harry, this is what happens when you trust people who have an aura of doom.
Morbious20 chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Great chapter keep'em coming .
Almaseti chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Oh god, if anything the cliffhanger to this one is even worse. Seeing Harry be so WRONG is more than a little upsetting. Poor kid.
Majin Hentai X chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Your getting really good with the cliffhangers. But remember not to have every chapter end in one my fingers may snap off.
outlawpoet chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
This has been a very surprising two chapters. For plot and concept reasons, but broader than that, it seems to be driven by characters more than a specific message or speech you're trying to get across.

Very engrossing. Is the Bellatrix characterization original, or have others done 'justified' Bellatrix backstories?
Zexs chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Harry better be carful otherwise he will end up like archer from fate stay night
Peanuckle chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Pretty hard to believe that Harry would've gone along with this scheme at all, but now he should know what's up.
luosha chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
is it wrong that i now think of you as lessss wrong?
WestWard101 chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Awesome...here we go...!
Violet Shadows chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Damn, hurry up and edit those chapters; between Harry's dark side appearing to be a product of the horocrux and the possiblity of Bella's son realizing that _Harry_ really did free her from prison: damn this is going to be fun.
Phoenix Flight chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Wow. It really makes you wonder if Harry's doing the stupidest thing he's done yet. The question that immediately comes to mind is, "Did Quirrel adequately explain how Bellatrix is to be contained once out of prison?" Because you'd think Harry would have noticed that even if she was not originally a death eater by choice, that doesn't mean she isn't very, very dangerous. He had to have thought of that, surely, when this was all being planned out.
dragonblack chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
YOU FUCKER.

IS QUIREL VOLDEMORT OR ISN'T HE!

IS HARRY VOLDEMORT?

AM I VOLDEMORT?

Not as good as some of your other chapters, but it is transitional, so that's okay.

That cliff hanger is a real bitch, though.
Lirenel chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Dude, I love the story to bits, but I couldn't even finish this chapter before I had to review and ask...

WTF?

Seriously, giving out your sister's name and location is surprisingly stupid for someone who has written a brilliant piece of work. You might think all the people reading this fic are good people, and they probably are, but *you don't know*. I'm in information management and it's *frightening* what people can do on the internet with the slightest bit of information. So *please* take it down, for your sister's sake.
GetItWrong chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Ah, Voldy, don't you hate it when your various instantiations aren't coordinated properly?

That's how I read this, anyway. Maybe not, though, maybe Harrymort and Quirrelmort are in frequent communication-there have certainly been some hints to that effect. But it appeals to me to believe that the more evil you are, the more likely your duplicates are to work at cross-purposes. Similar logic to the Kantian Imperative: if you act with perfect rationality and use an unselfish utilitarian preference scheme, the only way your various soul-pieces can end up in conflict is if they have vastly different information available.
w chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
to begin his journey toward what he had always known he was meant to be, a hero... Even if it was only one person, just one person that he could save from the darkness... Really. How about spending the Rita Skeeter money for some charity.

This is not believable. He spent _way_ too much time before talking about consequentialism and he is _way_ too rational to suddenly risk so much for one suffering person in Azkaban. Yes, wanting to be a hero is one thing, but risking so much for such a gain needs more justification. Otherwise you're basically throwing away the rational part of his character, so well established. Unless that's what happens between part 1 and part 2.

The ending is so scary, though. The action part is OK. Descent was nice.
Speechwriter chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
Hmm. That's rather puzzling. Is that the part of Voldemort coming out in Harry there at the end?

Enjoyed your descriptions of the prison and its inhabitants a lot. It's nice to see Harry not at ease for once, not trying to overanalyze everything. Just plain death.

The idea of feeling compassion for Bellatrix is naturally repulsive, but by this point I'm just taking it in stride.

Thanks for the update.
Pandora of Ithilien chapter 52 . 10/24/2010
interesting take on bella, though considering the source i am skeptical at best. pity, i'm not a student at stern, or i'd try to be one of those people who talk to your sister. :)

at any rate, harry's tying in his actions to fiction makes sense, but... for all his rationality, i'd say that is being a little bit foolish, however he is also eleven years old.