Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Beyond Hope chapter 57 . 9/21
Random question: how long before Quirrell awakens?Or will he first go to his zombie mode?
Chicwowwow chapter 57 . 9/10
I just realised this, but the last twenty or so chapters have been a remarkably complicated way of saying that dementor are killed through rejection
ack1308 chapter 57 . 4/7
Oh my god. I want to see what happens next.

Oh, wait. There's the NEXT button, right there.

Cli
WildRosa13474 chapter 57 . 4/1
I'm just waiting for the 'Quirrel isn't actually evil like we all thought' plot twist.
Army of Darkness came out in 1992, which would be when Harry is in his 2nd year. But I am really enjoying this story, it's very well written!
CharlemagneFF chapter 57 . 8/27/2016
This is my boom stick. :)
The Anguished One chapter 57 . 8/3/2016
It seems Harry is going to show the magical world how easy it is break out of their ultimate prison using science. I imagine the same would happen if a wizard found themselves in a Muggle prison.
Montara chapter 57 . 1/24/2016
He managed to stop the dementors! :D

Had to go find out from which movie are those words...interesting movie :)
ShadowLDrago chapter 57 . 10/24/2015
Not even Fate takes Dumbledore seriously. That seals it, it's not insane, or sane, he's somehow halfway between sanity and madness.
Zyxis chapter 57 . 8/17/2015
XD Those last words. I love it. Must see how he's going to do this.
PA chapter 57 . 5/21/2015
Aaaaaaaaand continueing.
Village-Mystic chapter 57 . 3/27/2015
I'm not sure what is going on. Is he making a motor boat with transfiguration?
Riniko22 chapter 57 . 2/21/2015
Really wonder about those that complain about the movie quote being too early. This is deeply AU, what is wrong with the movie coming out a little early and Harry seeing a preview before school or when he was home for Christmas break.
thepkrmgc chapter 57 . 8/2/2014
it seems like harry only needs one of the hallows to become the "master of death"
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 57 . 5/22/2014

"Nonsense, my dear," the old wizard said cheerfully as he strode off yet again, waving as though in admonition his fifteen-inch wand of unidentifiable dark-grey wood, "I'm invincible."

There was a pause.

("He didn't just really say that - Did he?")

That's what she said...
Grizzmon chapter 57 . 1/15/2014
Is he making a bomb?
567zoock67 chapter 57 . 12/6/2013
Hmm, I didn't really get the last part, but interesting chapter. I can't wait to see what happens next, and the bit where Harry ate the cookie (or was it in the last chapter?) was hilarious! I'd love to read an extra fanfiction on what was going through Bellatrix's head the whole time as she was experiencing this, I really wonder what she thinks!
Peverelli chapter 57 . 10/31/2013
I hate this so much. So, so, so much. Can the whole Azkaban storyline just be a dream? And then the old harry will wake up and not be stupid? Please?
Guest chapter 57 . 8/4/2013
"New requirement, Harry told his brain. Find a way of defeating Dementors that doesn't invoke my Patronus Charm. Alternatively, find yet another way of hiding someone from Dementors, besides the Cloak of Invisibility -

really? really? i mean ... REALLY? how sophomoric can one writer be? this is not fiction. this is mere stupidity trying really really hard to be Clever
Guest chapter 57 . 8/4/2013
i'm am sick to death of this over-wrought, self-important, jargon-infested piece of drivel ... it's sophomoric to the point of imbecility.

What had started out as a perfectly plausible and, even, INTERESTING premise ['Imagine Harry Potter as a Rationalist confronting the World of Magic - and trying to use Reason to investigate, understand and explain it'] has degenerated into the usual self-important posturing. There's not a single chapter of this fan fic that doesn't SCREAM at the reader: "Look at how Clever I am! Don't you wish YOU were THIS clever!"

By the time you get to Chapter 57, if you haven't noticed this, then you are as clueless about *real* fiction and the genius that informs and animates *real* fiction writers, as Trekkies are about *real* 'science' AND *real* 'fiction'.
Susan M. M chapter 57 . 7/27/2013
Leave it to Harry Verres-Hyphen-Hyphen to fire his brain.
L.E chapter 57 . 5/16/2013
Very good stuff!
Guest chapter 57 . 12/18/2012
"All right, you primitive screwheads! Listen up!"

This makes me laugh and cry at the same time. While Army of Darkness is one of the most awesome movies ever, it was released on October 9th, 1992. ...You see the problem here I hope.
Honoria Granger chapter 57 . 12/16/2012
I'm still unsure as to why the person [no spoilers] needs to be rescued from Azkaban...did you explain it and I missed it?
voodooqueen126 chapter 57 . 8/2/2012
This is an interesting chapter.
GravekeeperBat chapter 57 . 6/1/2012
-All right, you primitive screwheads! Listen up!-

Army of Darkness! Oh man, I get a kick out of seeing what all you reference in this, and I keep thinking that I should have seen that one coming!
Deadzepplin chapter 57 . 11/29/2011
You must have read quite a bit of discworld novels
AR chapter 57 . 9/22/2011
He managed to turn them away...

Unbelievable...and did I mention...frikkin AWESOME!
Goji1954 chapter 57 . 9/2/2011
Army of Darkness, one of the best movies of all time.
AvatarofDeath13 chapter 57 . 4/25/2011
Harry just threatened/blackmailed dementors... and succeeded...

You are God!
ARMH chapter 57 . 2/27/2011
Another great chapter. It always annoyed me that Dumbledore could sense Harry's presence under the cloak even though it was a Hallow, so it was nice to see that this was not the case in this fic.

"the Transfigured shape might be tall and wide and long, but it was very thin" I dont get this line. The shape has four dimensions: tall, wide, long, thin? And how can it be wide AND thin?
Avi chapter 57 . 2/4/2011
I'm having too much fun reading to stop and review. This has gone from the expected parody to a very suspenseful story that stands on its own. It's like playing D&D with a good dungeonmaster.

I hope there are many puzzles where everything that Harry knows and can do is known to the reader and the solution is completed without deus ex machina or Harry revealing a new power.

Love all the references, they're subtle enough that they don't disrupt the story, and of course they make me realize I'm missing lots more.
Blazen chapter 57 . 1/14/2011
I recently had some doubts about use of the Invisibility Cloak to hide from Dementors. You see, to be able to walk your feet need to touch the floor. That means you are not fully covered by the Cloak. It's alright if you want to hide from a man, but surely Dementors can see through floors?
J-Kid chapter 57 . 11/18/2010
Woah.

Woah.

And I repeat: woah.

I'm glad I saved reading this fic for the last six chapters or so, which means I got to read this all in one chunk. Harry's in a desperate situation, and I knew it would go from bad to worse as soon as the Professor mentioned Bellatrix. That Harry's even willing to pretend to be Voldemort is . . . . yeah.

At least Harry didn't inadvertently agree by a magic oath to become a Death Eater and overthrow the corrupt government. :-/ THAT would have been bad, too.

Now I'm extremely curious as to where this fic will go from here.
Arielrondil chapter 57 . 11/18/2010
While I love the method of escape, I don't like the way so much of the action is described in such a vague way in an attempt to heighten the drama of the scene. There is no excuse not to say 'Harry then drew his broomstick from his pouch and started gluing it to the metallic device with an exhuast nozzle on the end'.

Avoiding this unnecessary suspense would also make it much easier to describe Harry's thought processes, and make it more excusable when Quirrell effectively redoes all of Harry's work.
WestWard101 chapter 57 . 11/16/2010
Is Quirrell/Voldemort evil? If HPEV is a super-rationalist, Q/V must be pretty rational himself (frodo::jedi sauron::death star).

Q/V wants to take over the world, presumably to protect it. Is that evil?

Is it evil to Crucio and Avra Kedavra other sentient beings? What if doing so saves more lives and pain than not doing so. Is that evil?

Is the battle here between Kantianism and Utilitarianism? (It's been over a decade since my last Philosophy class so I may be misusing terms.)

The difference between HPEV and Q/V is that one believes killing "non-evil" people is wrong and the other doesn't.
Tangshou chapter 57 . 11/12/2010
I think Dumbledore knows Harry is in Azkaban. When Dumbledore walked past Harry's cell:

'Listening in the silence, Harry heard the quick footsteps approach; they paused outside his door, and then -

- continued onward.'

But when Dumbledore reported to the aurors he said 'I opened each door and looked within the cells.' Maybe he meant each cell block door not each cell door?

He also said 'the strongest had only as much magic left as a first-year child.'

Also, after finding Bahry, Dumbledore said:

"Perhaps," the old wizard said at length, "whichever of their number can cast the Patronus Charm, is more than a simple hostage. Someone who was tricked into this, mayhap? For whatever reason, they left your Auror alive; let us not be the first to wield deadly curses, when we find them -"

Dumbledore knows about Harry's patronus and knows he would be an easy person to trick (especially for Quirrel).

BTW, is this a mistake mentioning doors twice? 'So Harry lay on a hard bed, in a cell with a locked door, and the mighty metal door locked behind him'
Donteatacowman chapter 57 . 11/10/2010
O: Your reviews! They're OVER 9000!

..I'm sorry, I had to, hahaha! xD

For some reason, the letters spontaneously appearing doesn't strike me as something earlier-chapters-Harry would have taken for granted like that... Though understandably, he shouldn't think of things like that in this emergency situation. xD

Thanks for another chapter!
w chapter 57 . 11/9/2010
This is probably the weakest chapter in the altogether great TSPE arc. Too much action, too little awesome moments (though D invincibility Fate possible letting Harry go brain interaction were pretty good).

Trusting again Q in 58 makes perfect sense. He's HP's father figure to an extent, the only rational person in this crazy world and also extremely intelligent. Not to mention that it would not have made sense for Q to kill Bahry, in HP (and Amelia)'s eyes. Yes, Q messed up by not telling HP in advance that you can use killing curse in such a way, but.

I still don't see how HP can suddenly become aware of danger only now, as opposed to pre-going to Azkaban which still seems more unjustified than anything else (especially since when he's about to kill all Dementors, a part of his mind objects it's not a good time, and it's hardly possible to believe he was in a state less amenable to reason when with Q). Oh well, there's only that much I can ramble about it.
mikhail-ling chapter 57 . 11/9/2010
Not to engage in a review board nerd war (because someone is wrong on the Internet, therefore I must champion to correct him!) but there is a difference between hating on Less Wrong and hating on MoR!Harry. I've made that distinction before in previous reviews, which are probably buried and hence my comments taken a bit out of context.

Less Wrong has a plan for his stories - that I do not doubt. I enjoy his writing, and MoR rates as one of the best stories I've read, fanfic or not.

The issue I have with MoR!Harry is simply that for all his claims of intelligence, for all his claims of rational discourse and thinking, his mind and his behaviour rejects those tenets which he clings onto. Even if one were to conclude that the observations of others (Hermione, for example) can be wrong, the fact that he himself came as close as he did to the conclusion that Quirrell is very possibly evil and he discounted that hypothesis (or at least, set it aside) at a mere statement of "I wasn't going to kill him, just subdue him!" is Harry giving far too much leeway to Quirrell.

And also - there's a logical fallacy somewhere in there between concluding that in order to harm Harry, Quirrell must want to *kill* Harry. Indirectly causing hurt to Harry's credibility, inculcating a sense of distrust in other people except Quirrell himself (sounds a lot like brainwashing to me!), placing Harry (a first year muggle-raised student, mind you) in a situation where the authorities are more liable to kill first and ask questions later (like raiding a high-security prison) - these actions are not things that a person acting in the best interest of another would subject the latter to. No matter the verbal reasons given, the actions demand a little bit more of that healthy mistrust that Harry places everyone else under.

Note that Harry has not extended this light touch of scrutiny to the other authority figures in the story, but has routinely only done so for Quirrell. This is not the first time Harry has deferred to his "mentor-figure" even though his own personal alarm bells were ringing, magical sense of DOOM or not - his inner selves have made such observations routinely and regularly. What's worst in this present episode is simply that Harry had come that close to concluding that Quirrell was not acting in Harry's best interest, but turned that entire suspicion aside at the simple words of that very man himself (again - this isn't the first time Harry has done so for Quirrell; it's just that in the particular context and facing all the accumulated observations thus far, Harry still does so without nary a doubt. The world simply stopped for Quirrell). Does Harry not comprehend the possibility of an individual telling half-truths, or outright lying?

Put it another way - if one were to see Harry as someone who's supposed to be discerning, rational, and critical about his observations - a scientist, essentially - would one not get upset every time Harry seemingly fails to do so (or even worse - decides not to do so) due to mere words from an individual whom Harry himself has observed to be at least questionable?
Paganimagus chapter 57 . 11/8/2010
I'm just reviewing to disagree with the other reviewers.

I'm also fully aware that you already know exactly why they're wrong and you're right- but they don't. SO:

I agree with Harry is jumping on the broom.

All the reviewers who dislike it are calling our dear DADA proffessor "Quirrelmort"- and it reflects in the way they're reasoning. They're reasoning on evidence which DOESNT EXIST IN MoR! (yet)

What the Harry knows is that Quirrel is the one consistently sane and rational adult he's ever met.

He knows that Quirrel could have killed the auror with one curse straight away, regardless of how many shields were up.

He knows that Quirrel has had the opportunity to kill him several times before and could possibly have killed Dumbledore the day they tested the Patronuses. Quirrel didn't.

Harry DOESNT know a person called Quirrel is statistically more likely to be possessed by Voldemort than a person called Tom, Dick or Jane BECAUSE THEY ARENT.

Harry also shouldn't know that magical feeling of doom necessarily relates to Voldemort. Sure, he shoulda looked into it, but to deem someone evil because your magically allergic to each other? It isn't in anyway linked to his scar, if it were the jig would be up straight away-

one sorting OMAKE made light of how quickly Harry would link such an obvious clue to the truth.

As for the logic of all the voices in Harry's head, well-

Weren't they just proven wrong? As in, proven to be illogical? If Quirrel wanted Harry dead theres no reason why he couldn't kill him here.

Finally, everyone has to remember the downsides of staying-

Like: Everyone "KNOWING" Harry's evil for breaking the most evil witch of all time out of Azkaban.

Also, by staying behind, Harry would be framing Qurirel for kidnapping him and dooming Quirrel to a life on the run- all for trying to save a lady from a fate worse than death.

Think: Quirrel hasnt done anything unambiguosly EVIL to Harry's knowledge. Even from the semi-omnicient reader's POV, the only thing we KNOW Quirrel has done is kill Skeeter, which is completely in character for Quirrel. To be responsible for evil things we have to attribute Voldemort's evil actions to him. BUT WE CAN'T KNOW THAT FROM MoR. We have to steal knowledge from JKR Canon. Which may or may not be true.

The author is god, but the author is Mr Less Wrong, not JKR.
Thom Blake chapter 57 . 11/8/2010
Good show on using "preview" instead of "trailer" for a kid in 1992.
dinosaurusgede chapter 57 . 11/8/2010
Great chapter! just love it! especially when Harry commanded the dementors to back off & when he hides inside a cell.
Eclipse1234 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Not broomstick, its a boomstick.
braindoll chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Sorry, this is too overpowered. Dementors' nature is to remove any hopes of avoiding death; even Dumbledore's immunity does not contradict this. Also, emotion and motivations are an important part of rational thought. Harry should not be able to face down a dozen dementors at short range and remain rational. Lampshading the fact that he's not quite fully rational doesn't cut it.

Other people reading this review: if you believe me, it will harm your enjoyment of the story. So you should focus on the many, many awesome parts of the story to restore your suspension of disbelief, because without it, this story is not nearly as fun. I'm sure I'll do the same, as soon as the immediate situation is resolved, and I can just take "he made it out of that" as a single premise, instead of the incredibly complex set of solutions it actually is.
kewangji chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Typo, probably not the first one to point it out but whatever: almost at the end: "Ther were many different things Harry could have said before using this particular triumph of technological ingenuity." Should be There.

Amazing chapter!
Arkh Cthuul chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Nice Quote on the End, and againa very good Chapter.

I am getting repetitive it seems, but well...
Kutta chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Great chapter
LwOliverbeatson chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Wow, this is certainly getting epic! I hope this isn't the end though, the series has been brilliant so far and I don't want it to end... and there's so much more irrationality to vanquish! I'm getting that feeling in a game, y'know when you're a door away from the final boss, but you know there's a ton of sub-quests you haven't completed yet... every fibre of my being is soaked in that don't-open-the-final-boss-door feeling. But I'm looking forward to what happens here in Azkaban.

My thought was that Harry was engineering some explosive, which hit me immediately as worrying. I also wonder that Quirrell has been pretending to sleep all this time, it seems far off but my brain can't make any other explanation fit any better, so I'm looking forward too to the manner in which Quirrell dodged the idiot-ball, given the current circumstances.

Very well done, Eliezer!
Morbious20 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Awesome chapter
Pandora of Ithilien chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
uh-oh... opening with something like that is going to be interesting. of course, an attitude like that is basically harry's trademark, so at this point, when he's narrowly avoided discovery, it's kind of a stupid risk... or it seems to be. hopefully he has a damn good reason for it.
Aloril chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
So Harry used 1.5h to transfigure ice into liquid hydrogen and oxygen. That should give some 50-200kg fuel for a rocket which when fired burns back into water. I wonder if he is now transfiguring a big gun barrel or something else.

Maybe Dumbledore just checked that Harry is OK? I find it hard to believe he would not notice familiar person under blanket.
Discordia19 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Oh dear Christ...Harry's made a BOOMSTICK?
MrPatan chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Better than the original. Would pay to read this book.
Peregrinate chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
:D An update! I was so excited when I saw. Keep writing please!
AngelForm chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
So even death fear’s destruction, useful info.

Not sure what he is building but I suspect part of his plan involved blasting a hole in the wall.

Loved Dumbledore’s line. Even more so the reaction it got.
Heidinanookie chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
-"I quit, said his brain. Find yourself another piece of computing substrate to solve your ridiculously overconstrained problems."-

lool, that's what my brain said quite a while ago, too :D

Dumbledore is hilarious in this chapter, too. I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the different interpretations of Dumbledores in the fanfics I'm reading right now, but I'm not sure Dumbledore would take part in this scene like he did:

"Albus," said Amelia as the old wizard turned to depart, "even you can be ambushed."

There was a pause.

("He didn't just really say that -" whispered the newest Auror present, a still-prim young lady by the name of Noelle Curry, to the senior member of her trio, Auror Brooks. "Did he?")

("He can get away with it," Isabel whispered back to her, "he's Dumbledore, not even Fate takes him seriously anymore.")

I'd rather say that Dumbledore should be taken VERY seriously indeed if he's invincible :D

Anyway, what could that mysterious device of Harry's be? A pack of dynamite? Any why didn't he try a partial transfiguration on the outer walls before? It's a simply but ingenious idea. On the other hand, Dumbledore is going to know straight away that Harry wasn't only involved in some distantly obscured way, but that he was there and very much actively taking part in the operation...

heidi
Animekitty47 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Oh, Dumbledore, messing with them by referencing the Elder Wand, that he knows they won't get, and which he knows doesn't actually make the user invincible. After all, he beat Grindelwald for it. XP ('Not even Fate takes him seriously', excellent line.)

Harry's awesome, as always. And might this plan actually succeed? XD I hope you do update again today...
minhoto chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Woke up my roommates laughing at the final quote, cant wait to see what you've decided to magically fuze to a shotgun.
FuzzyBoots chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
_ Harry's boomstick. I look forward to seeing what he coupled it to. Probably the broom (heh... the broomstick/boomstick?), but there are other possibilities. I'm enjoying Harry's consistent solving of problems. It's good that he's in the middle of insurmountable problems because it means you can let him be competent again and succeed since it's a situation where he won't come off as Mary Sue-ish in the process.

I'm assuming at this point that Belliatrix is still carrying Quirrell's snake form. No mention of her having dropped it and she does seem the loyal sort, although it would be funny if, after all of this effort, Harry wound up losing to a factor he didn't know to keep track of because he's dealing with the people involved as logical devices.
Dur'id the Druid chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Not much to say about this chapter, other than well done and please post the next quickly! I've been checking twice a day since the last post.
hjcallipygian chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Oh my God I've figured it out! You've set all this up and finally introduced this logical character and I've found the love story - it's Harry/Amelia Bones! She'll show him that wizards can use logic and reason and he'll show her how the Dementors are wrong and-

I'm sorry, I'm just fucking with you. )

Interesting chapter. Harry's big mistake is, of course, that Dumbledore is there and will recognize partial Transfiguration and realize who must've done it.
hiEnter location optional chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
nice
Nielso chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
If you all excuse me, I have a movie quote to look up
Emmapemma chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Harry is so bad ass. Challenging Death, and Death is the one who walks away! The only way it could be more bad ass is if he afterwards takes off his sun glasses in a nonchalant manner.
jdboss1 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
I love this happy happy happy

Good i not harry coe i wood of ran to the aurors

Best Story of 2010 beting more to join Rationality face book group
Mikko Rauhala chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Oops, didn't read it properly, "tall _and_ wide _and_ long". Probably not a space elevator then. A metamaterial invisibility cloak would spring to mind but ... probably not at that time. Some aerodynamic aid? Ah well.
Mikko Rauhala chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
All righty, we're getting somewhere. I do so hope to have the grand finale today.

Ol' Dumbie may well have purposefully ignored Harry, given his report and his (as seen in the Snape blackmail incident earlier) penchant for lying with the truth (a common ailment in the Wizarding world, it seems :). May also be he genuinely hurried enough as not to notice though. Fawkes almost certainly wouldn't challenge Harry anyway I think, given their earlier interaction.

And so Harry has a boom stick. The first approximation would be that he made a jet/rocket booster for his broom, but that could be hazardous and wouldn't explain the long thin thing he's gonna transfigure. Which would seem to point towards an ad-hoc space elevator attachment to the broom. That, however, would be less of a "boom stick" unless it's gonna be a sonic one. Anyway, looking forward to how that all fits together in the end.

Moer pleas!
showstopper573 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
once again another brilliant chapter. virtual cookie to u my friend xD
Greytune chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
"All right, you primitive screwheads! Listen up!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that qoute is from Army of Darkness, yes? Well, I'm quite certain that AoD came out in 1992 or 1993. I know that in this point in the story it's early 1992, so I suppose it's possible that AoD started showing previews. Just wanted to check.
Gogolu chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Nice.
godescalc chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Some serious tension going with the latest arc. Also, Dumbledore is impressive and dangerous; it's nice seeing him geared up for action, rather than just bumbling around acting loopy or being someone for Harry to argue with.

I really hope we find out the deal with Quirrell(mort) soon, and why he's so different (and so very awesome) in this incarnation. The original HP didn't have villains with all that much character - Voldemort and the Malfoys weren't as awesome as, say, Ming the Merciless or Darth Vader - but MoR remedies this pretty well. Harry's reaction to finding he's befriended Voldemort will be a thing to watch...
phoebe turner chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
great chapter!
ShardPhoenix chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
"This is my (rocket) broomstick"?
BLitZme.2 chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
So I finally broke down and got an account on . So my reviews are identifiable as mine when I review this story like I have been meaning to for the past couple of weeks.

Let me begin by saying, with all due respect, that I hate all things fan fiction with the white hot fiery burning intensity of four hundred billion suns!

Mostly because it is in general poorly written drivel that makes me feel like i am losing SAN and INT while reading it. But also because i don't like the idea of other people using an authors characters even with there permission. This i why i shy away from lots of Conan books even though many very good authors have all written for him and as i have heard nailed the character.

BUT this is one of the BEST MOST AWESOME THINGS I HAVE EVER READ Full Stop.

i love this series it is soooooo good it has at lest four moments where i feel like my head will explode from sheer awesome and i love that.

It has real Science!

I love the way all of the obscure nerdy references are woven into the story. They lighten the tension and enhance comedy but it as if by magic never interferes with the suspension of disbelief, in the dramatic moments. While painting pretty pictures on the near side of the forth wall in many of the more comedic and down right hilarious moments of the story.

while it wouldn't work for everything the blatant cribbing of TV tropes works very VERY well in this story.

This story maid me cry tears of joy tears of resolve and and tears of sadness all at least once and at least two kinds in one chapter.

Do you have any conception of how much i love the idea of no one holding the idiot ball (though at times this can weaken suspension of disbelief because real people can be relied apone to be dumb at least once in a while, pleas don't act on this)

I also don't like the Orwellian retcons in principle though i understand why they are done i just want to be able to read the original posted versions as well (the old authors notes would be cool to)

The first thing I ever read by this author was Three Worlds Collide and i loved it and when I started reading this after a highly trusted source recommended it i read the authors page found out they were by the same person and went ~"I love this guy no wonder this is actually good scratch that awesome"~

so i am thoroughly addicted to this story and cant wait for more keep up all of your amazing work

So in conclusion it made me laugh it made me cry I am addicted and I want more Pleas

Also if you got the reference i made to cosmos earlier consider getting yourself a cookie i think you may have earned it.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Long time reader, first time reviewer...

Your whole story is incredible. But I guess you are aware of that.

The next chapter better go up tomorrow, or I will be sad.

btw, do you know of any fiction that is at least similar to HPMOR?
Tom Reagan chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Another highly enjoyable chapter, and I'm very much looking forward to finding out what in hell's name Harry's created.

Btw, in your current Author's Notes you say "CodyAHM suggests that lovers of the Ch. 11 Sorting Hat Omake check out this," and then link to my fan art, whereas I assume you meant to link to CodyAHM's suggestion. Not that I mind the extra views, of course...
Rigal chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
All of this has been great, I can{t wait for the end
koipen chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
Is that a reference to LW-wiki (Truly changing your opinion)? The "blue is green" bit?

But hey this was extraordinarily good cliffie. I'm thinking in the same vein as the one under me: some sort of guided missile to pounce through thin wall.

Marvelous!
Majin Hentai X chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
This is my boom stick!
firedraygon chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
I really love the idea of Harry with a separate dark side. I'm looking forward to when/if it goes rogue. Please do write more soon!

~fd97
Kidate chapter 57 . 11/7/2010
It probably says a lot that my first reaction was not to review, but instead to add the Army of Darkness Shout Out to TV Tropes.

Another fantastic chapter!
Guile chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
...

Harry's Patronus is SENTIENT?
kyle90 chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
Is this where we speculate on what exactly the thing is that Harry just made? I discussed it with a friend for a while and this is all we could come up with:

The piece of muggle tech that's larger than a car battery is some sort of small GPS-guided missile. The magical item he glued to it is his pouch, to vastly increase the cargo space. The transfigured wall section was made thin but not breached so that it would appear contiguous until such time as they all climbed into the pouch and flew away (with the missile easily punching through 0.5mm thick metal).

As I said, this is all we could come up with, and I'm sure it's way off, but half the fun in this story is talking about it and trying to figure out what's going on. :P
ilikebluepineapples chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
I like your Amelia too. It doesn't matter whether you came up with her character or not. I also like Bahry, Li, Isabel, and the other Aurors- they just seem especially well sketched out, for peripheral characters.

Must you always end on a cliffie? The next chapter better go up tomorrow, or I will be sad.

I am now afraid for Dumbledore's life. I am also cautiously hopeful that we are approaching Quirrelmort's Big Reveal and/or seeing what Harry does with his mysterious dark side that is actually probably a horcrux, since Shit Is Finally Going Down.
DigiEmissary chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
(This review is mostly commentary on the Author's Notes for this chapter. I am greatly enjoying the Stanford Prison Experiment series of chapters, but currently cannot come up with a reasonable guess as to the identities of Harry's Transfigured creations.)

Standard fanfiction does have Amelia Bones as a competent figure, but that's relative to other normal, i.e. irrational, wizards. Your Amelia seems competent enough to exist competitively in this universe with Rational!Harry and Rational!Quirrelmort, which is fairly impressive.

Rereading is fun, and I love Wastelands, but if you're looking for something new, you should really try Robin4's Unbroken series. It's very well written, and very long (over 550k words in the main trilogy), so it should keep you busy for at least a week.
badkidoh chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
Another great chapter.
papillon2 chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
Mmm... Didn't care for this one as much. Hard to put my finger on why. I guess it seems like Harry's making too much progress in power too quickly in this particular chapter - doing too many things right even without proper preparation. Could just be me feeling grumpy at the moment though. :)
strider714 chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
I have only two words that I can say to the end this chapter...

BOOM BABY!
loserthree chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
Wha-what?

He made a WHAT?

Is it a gun, with the ice forming the gunpowder? Is it a chainsaw, and the ice was made into a moment's fuel? Is it a CHAINSAW MADE OF GUNS?

No, no. A chainsaw is wider than half a millimeter. So a circular saw, then, perhaps.

HPEV had been practicing turning metal into wood, so now he turns the metal wall into wood, but only the outline of an opening. Then he cuts through it with his device, goes into the Dementor pit and does a little D.B. Cooper Two-Step and we get a new chapter name.

But a circular saw is too straightforward for all the build up. Let's go over the recipe and see just what magical MacGyver machinations might be ... I need an m-word...

...

ahem, moving on

1. Something to burn, transfigured from ice.

2. Something muggle-tech

3. Some magical item, and it ought to be one that was mentioned earlier in the story. It most certainly will not be something made up on the spot and hopefully won't be something mentioned in canon and not in MoR.

4. All bound together with glue, or maybe one mounted on the other with glue.

Hrm.

Y'all let me know what I'm missing if you see it before the next post, alright?
mrs.boy.with.the.bread chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
wow this story is amazing :)
Mathnerd314 chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
After reading this for some time, I have come to believe some things:

(1) Rationality is a good use of applied mathematics

(2) Harry Potter is the next reincarnation of Jesus

(3) I-will-not-update-until... should come with an hour, minute, and possibly second (I believe I caught as it was regenerating the pages), as well as the day

(4) Good results are hard to come by

(5) My ideas tend to be close to the point, but miss it

Thanks for what you've written, and keep up the good work!
ShaThief chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
great chapter almost a saga at this point what are we on part 8?

the line with dumbledore confused me a bit what was going on here?

"- in rather distressing condition," Dumbledore said quietly. For a moment the blue eyes were very cold beneath the half-moon glasses. "Will any of you speak to me of the consequences of their actions?"

"I did not -" Amelia began.
E.A.V chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
OK...So I have neither seen nor heard of this movie, and I'm completely in suspense, but not lost. I know that he's created something that will help them escape using his unique skill of partial transfiguration. The last line is very evocative, even though I have absolutely no context for it except for this context, which gives no explanation.

I'm really enjoying this sequence! Thank you again!
Niqi chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
You do know the spell is "enervate" in Harry Potter, right?
Violet Shadows chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
You know when I read Harry threaten the dementors it occurred to me that there hasn't been a single "...with strange aeons..." reference yet; considering Harry that kind of suprises me.
uo-chou chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
Excellent work! I look forward to reading more soon. Thanks for sharing!
Owl344 chapter 57 . 11/6/2010
Woah. I guess that's a check mark in the "Updates Regularly" column then...

If you don't mind, could you recommend some fics? (I did already look at your favourites list.)