Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 58 . 8/3
"Obvioussly you will ssee persson pretending to be healer on arrival!"
Teehee
Koop chapter 58 . 5/2
Holy crap after like 3 years from having read this I finally understand the "I'm not serious" bit.
ack1308 chapter 58 . 4/7
Rocket-powered broomsticks.

I want one.

(Still giggling uncontrollably).
Reaper8439979 chapter 58 . 1/13
How did you make me fall in love with Bellatrix?
Jatok chapter 58 . 11/17/2016
Beautiful.
greycat chapter 58 . 8/28/2016
Some reviewers seem confused by the words BOOMSTICK and BROOMSTICK. The quote at the top is from the movie Army of Darkness. The protagonist holds up a shotgun and says "THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" In this story, Harry thinks "THIS... is my BROOMSTICK!" That's the joke.

Now, the really interesting bit here is whether Quirrel is lying or telling the truth, when he says he wasn't trying to kill the Auror. Harry cannot know at this point, but second-pass readers can know, using information from future chapters. That's one of the main things I am looking for in this second read-through, and this chapter is chock full of it.
The Anguished One chapter 58 . 8/5/2016
So Quirrell has an excuse for what he did earlier, and is supposedly planning on making Harry run the nation... I wonder how much of that Harry believes.
Kajou Takumi chapter 58 . 4/4/2016
I have just realized upon a reread that the prisoner here saying "I'm not serious" is exceptionally likely to be Pettigrew saying "I'm not Sirius." Doesn't remember who he is, but Sirius isn't a happy memory, so he knows who he isn't. Well played.
Guest chapter 58 . 2/21/2016
Oh. i thought he was going to say THIS IS SPARTA but that works too
Montara chapter 58 . 1/24/2016
Is Riddle telling the truth?! I can't believe him...and yet, he might be telling the truth...
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 58 . 12/8/2015
Of course he made a rocket... Harry is utterly insane. Admittedly, he now gets to ride a rocket, but really? He does realize how dangerous it is...
ShadowLDrago chapter 58 . 10/24/2015
A rocket. Harry made, a rocket. Wow.
Zyxis chapter 58 . 8/17/2015
. . . I am crying tears at the beauty of the image you have invoked. That is awesome. Technology and magic. Bonded together. Amazing.
Benevolence chapter 58 . 8/12/2015
SPOILER ALERT!

The old wizard reached out toward another metal door, from behind which came a endless dead mutter, "I'm not serious, I'm not serious, I'm not serious..."

...

Thats what Dumbledore hears... but whats REALLY being said is "I'm not Sirius, I'm not Sirius, I'm not Sirius."

Oh my god that's Peter in there isn't it ?!

would NEVER have noticed if this wasn't a re-read. WOW. that was cleverly hidden Mr Yudkowsky.
PA chapter 58 . 5/22/2015
And what a broomstick it is.
Berlin chapter 58 . 5/16/2015
AW YEAH, FEAST ON THAT YA SUCKERS
Guest chapter 58 . 4/2/2015
Oh hell.
I thought of something and came back to read this chapter to see where Bellatrix was and whether she was silenced when Harry did this partial transfiguration. She was probably right next to him and not silenced.
When Quirrel interrogated Bellatrix afterwards he'd have found that Harry can do a wordless magic that cut a thin hollow cylinder in the wall that then required a finite incantatem afterwards (she may even be able to see the motor oil disappear!). Bellatrix was not in the graveyard, even though she should have been for the same reasons the other Death Eaters were there. She is even a necessary part of the alternative resurrection ritual.
Voldemorte left Harry his wand deliberately, knowing he had partial transfiguration. The "Final Exam" takes on a whole new meaning: Quirrel was just continuing his previous "Have Harry be seen to defeat Voldemorte and become ruler of Britain" plan.
Kaili chapter 58 . 1/17/2015
There appears to be a spelling mistake in the beginning of this chapter, it spells "Broomstick" boomstick. (The part where it explains the reference)
spoonring chapter 58 . 10/8/2014
Omg that is just amazing!
thepkrmgc chapter 58 . 8/2/2014
all shall fear the rocket broomstick, but if that isnt a giant neon sign saying "HARRY WAS HERE" then i dont know what is.
Kailin chapter 58 . 7/7/2014
Did anyone else notice that the text before the chapter spells broomstick "boomstick"?
Tallman7 chapter 58 . 6/14/2014
You strapped a solid-fuel rocket to a BROOMSTICK?!

YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 58 . 5/22/2014
And there was noise.

Wow. I guess so.
Grizzmon chapter 58 . 1/15/2014
The Rocket stick?
Dyrssdytshrdsdhttsdh chapter 58 . 1/8/2014
"I'm not serious", is that what the prisoner said? Could it have been "I'm not Sirius", and Dumbledore misheard, because I think if it was meant another way, they would be saying "I wasn't serious" like the lady said "I didn't mean it."

My hypothesis: the person in prison isn't Sirius Black! What could this mean?
L.E chapter 58 . 5/16/2013
That ending is so mindbogglingly spectacular!

"And there was noise." I bet there was!
Enei Emmu chapter 58 . 2/4/2013
Harry put a ROCKET on a BROOMSTICK!? Seems legit. ._.
Ardwolf chapter 58 . 2/2/2013
You sir, are a mad genius...

Rocket-propelled broomstick. I am rolling on the floor in helpless laughter.

The look on the wizard's faces would be *PRICELESS*!
Guest chapter 58 . 11/20/2012
Sorry, it's xkcd what if number 21.
Iluivatar chapter 58 . 11/20/2012
So I just read this chapter again and then I saw this xkcd ( 21/). I figured this would also be pretty cool to see attached to a broomstick. Though a rocket _is_ probably more epic.
loonyphoenix chapter 58 . 9/20/2012
*oops, forgot to login, sorry for the double-post

"Amelia was feeling tenser already, though she was betting on the criminals hiding on the second-to-lowest floor, part of her wished Dumbledore had thought to check that specific floor more carefully and part of her was glad he hadn't."

Hello there, run-on sentence!

Does "though she was betting on criminals hiding on the second-lowest floor" apply to the previous part (she was tense already, even though she was betting the criminals are almost a quarter down still) or to the third part (she was betting the criminals were on the second-to-lowest floor and still had time to do something, so she wished Dumbledore had thought to check it; at the same time, revenge was near). Personally, I'm betting on the first option. But I'm part of the Russian translation team, and some of my co-translators are leaning towards the second one :) Can you please clear this matter up for us, Mr. Less Wrong?
Guest chapter 58 . 9/20/2012

Hello there, run-on sentence!

voodooqueen126 chapter 58 . 8/2/2012
That is a brilliant use of technology.
HerGoldenHair chapter 58 . 5/24/2012
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Sirius! That was Sirius wasn't it? Fawkes wanted to help him!
fuzzle-sticks chapter 58 . 2/21/2012
If he's not serious, where is Sirius?

Are Sirius and Peter secretly the same person?

And are you dreaming of a Black Christmas?
refdsz chapter 58 . 10/5/2011
I don't know if your just insane or bloody brilliant.

"BROOMSTICK!"
AR chapter 58 . 9/22/2011
Foolish foolish foolish boy...

I am so frustrated that he is still GOING ALONG with that evil evil snake thing. UGH.

I get psychology...I get hero worship...even mentioned it a few chapters back. But this is taking it too far.

Ah well...the Boomstick? Had me in fits...amazing you are.
Fenrir666 chapter 58 . 8/26/2011
Best. Pun. Ever. Best. Slytherin Plot. Ever. Best. Harry Potter Fic. EVER.
gecoma chapter 58 . 6/14/2011
THIS IS MY BROOMSTICK!
ARMH chapter 58 . 2/27/2011
Ohh I get the shape. He transfigured a ring that extended through the wall. The diameter of the whole thing was wide but what he had to transfigure was thin.

/feels stupid
chelsea chapter 58 . 11/25/2010
i love how clever youve made draco and how sad youve made bellatrix. i saw the harry potter movie the other day and was so sad that draco wasnt a little manipulative genius boy. you have to make a book out of this when youre done so i can buy it and show it to my kids years from now after they read the original hp.
Harry Figment chapter 58 . 11/23/2010
I loved this chapter. The specific use of Army of Darkness and of the title of this plot-line seem brilliant.

But I feel a little disappointed by the evidence that P didn't do it. We had no reason before, IIRC, to think that his and S's reasons for befriending J had changed from canon (where S hated his blood-purist family and P wanted to ally with someone strong.) None of the objections from "Michael Shermer" seem close to producing mathematical certainty, of course, and given those starting motives they seem to produce doubt but not an overwhelming probability for the other side. Canon P joined V chiefly out of weakness, and hated what V did to people who he, P, viewed as people. Therefore even his canon behavior makes sense to me, as it allowed him to forget his own deeds (temporarily, as it happened) without actually dying. Call it a compromise. Now, it still counts as idiotic behavior, so I can certainly see why you don't want him to do it here. But I could see a possible MoR version of P giving Harry the cloak and advice, in the hope that either Harry and Voldemort would kill each other or the option less threatening to P would win out. The gift seems less likely coming from S under any theory that would predict this new evidence. This is total Shablagoo (a technical term that does not apply to the Bruce Campbell quote.)
lipasnape chapter 58 . 11/21/2010
Crazy, and then some.

Helping pile up the reviews number.
Sarshi chapter 58 . 11/21/2010
That is one badass broomstick :D
Remoara chapter 58 . 11/20/2010
Man, I am so confused: What IS Voldemort's deal in MOR?

Is he actually just some sort of magical psychopath, as Harry has figured was entirely possible during his conversation with Dumbledore? ( Harry thought something like (not a quote) 'maybe he just misjudged and did one dark ritual too many, and then it just snowballed from there. If bad things needed good reasons to happen, they wouldn't happen at all.')

Well, that would FIT with that, but... no way would I put money on this author not having something much more interesting in store.

...Hah! But Dumbledore was sure right about Voldemort being Harry's dark reflection!

Damnit, IS it possible yet to figure out Voldemort's actual terminal values from the hints in the story? When Quirrel expresses a value that is good by the standards of Harry/EY/readers like me, we go, 'well, maybe that's just a calculated choice to make Harry think he's a good guy,' and when he expresses something that DOESN'T rhyme with our values, we go 'well, maybe that's a calculated choice to not make Harry suspicious by being TOO good' but that's a paranoid crazy way to think and EY would be disappointed if I didn't notice that it's the same mistake he talked about at lesswrong with the example of the 'evidence' for Japanese spies during WWII (x and not x can't both be evidence for the same thing)...

So I think that leads to the question, why COULDN'T Quirrelmort just appear to Harry to be definitely on the side of good?

And I think the answer could be, while he definitely has the technical ability to pull such an act off, who says he understands Harry's/EY's/our values completely?

Hah! Dumbledore said it again! Evil cannot truly understand good without destroying itself. :P

Arg, I give up trying to figure this out! For now.
The Monster chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
If this really is the end of the book, shouldn't it say, you know...

THE END

or something similar that would let us know to take the damned RSS feed out of our readers?

Speaking of which, wouldn't Less Wrong REMOVE the RSS feed if there's to be no more to bloody FEED us?

All I can say is if there's any truth to it, it's really bad form to just leave it hang like this.
LessTropes chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
If you wonder how could a small boy design and build a rocket that actually works, remember: A Wizard Did It!
TC chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
I wonder if Harry's Quirrell Christmas wish was in fact to get Bellatrix out?
reeferx chapter 58 . 11/19/2010
I hear that this is actually the end of the book. Lesswrong wants to end things on a high note and a cliffhanger has certain rationalistic significance. So big hand for lesswrong. That's all folks.
Guest chapter 58 . 11/18/2010
I remember reading the first chapter of this when it came out. No idea why it has almost 10k reviews now.

It was interesting at first, but I felt like I was being beat over the head with a overly simplistic world view every time I tried to read it. Trying again to re-read this... impossible.

In the future, would you care to be a little more... subtle?
Akiyama chapter 58 . 11/17/2010
Harry is becoming a little too super-competent for my taste; heroes who can do practically anything annoy me (Doctor Who, Superman etc.). Thanks for the link to the Army of Darkness trailer - I've never heard of this film before.
freya chapter 58 . 11/17/2010
HEYYYY! hurry up already, I've been refreshing the page for over a week now! ;)

I'm serious though, I need my fix!
Anonymous chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
I'm loving this story.

Aside from its epicness, the last scene raises the question of what are the limits of transfiguration, aside from those met so far like the failed Alzheimer's cure attempt.

Thermonuclear warheads? Kilograms of Californium-251? 3D milling machines?

Featherweight charms seem like an engineer's dream for an easy SSTO, unless they diminish in effect with distance from the ground.

At how many km/s tip velocity can a two-sided sling, throwing payloads, rotate without breaking if under an unbreakable charm?

For that matter, ethical concerns aside, what happens if a wizard does an inanimate-animal transfiguration of an object, like desk-pig but rather into a different species than usual: homo sapiens?

Is magic, specifically transfiguration magic, working like an alien operating system with encoded constructs? Are extinct creatures included in such and creatable via transfiguration (homo neanderthalensis, dodo birds, velociraptors, etc)?
fuck chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
Where the fuck is my MoR fix? I need my fix goddamnit!
Lee Swain chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
Wow dang love the last chapter, this is my BROOMSTICK wow excellent fic, keep them coming!
anonymous chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
Have you, by any chance seen the low budget time travel film Primer?

This fanfic and that film are probably the only two works of fiction that have both stunned me with their awesomeness as a story, but also amazed me by their science.
Kay chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
Great job! I've really enjoyed this so far. I can't wait to read till the end... I just hope Prof Q isn't the good guy.
FF8 Squall Lionhart chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
I have joined the Review Semi-Revolution: I resolve to leave at least one review on any fic of which I've read 15,000 words, regardless of the number of previous reviews, its age, or whether I have anything wittier to say than "Nice fic".

And with that, nice fic.
MorphManiac chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
I read all 58 chapters in the period of a few days. Granted, I was sick, and so it was easier to take the time...but definitely worth it.

I won't pretend to understand all the theories presented, but I do re-read passages I don't comprehend and truly engage with the text - which is something I can't say I've ever done with fanfiction before.

I'm really enjoying the story and the characterizations - I cannot wait to see more!
WestWard101 chapter 58 . 11/16/2010
Should Harry know Quirell possessed by Voldemort? Probably not, he is a Muggle and probably hasn't yet read about horcruxes or possession.

But HARRY FEELS AN IMPENDING SENSE OF DOOM WHENEVER HE NEARS QUIRRELL. Come on, I don't care how desperate for validation a 11 year old boy is, he FEELS DOOM.

Quirrell's explanation is for casting A-K is so weak, it brings down the chapter a bit.

What's more likely: Q just beat the crap out of an Auror while Polyjuiced and needs to use a fake A-K to get past his mental defenses? Or that Q, who radiates DOOM, in the heat of battle, slips his rational harness and lets his true desires shine through in a good old fashioned killing?

Harry should be able to ask that question.

Love the story.
GrayGaffer chapter 58 . 11/15/2010
Loving this so far.

A little quibble: Harry does not want Dumbledorf to know of his involvment. But Harry has now done two things that will tip D. off - partial Transfiguration of the wall (which only he is known to be able to do, and D. is one of the only other two or three people who know that), and using Muggle technology to power his broomstick when the spell that makes it fly is cancelled.

Not to mention his power over the Dementors.

So how is D. going to be kept in the dark? Or not?

I await developements with bated breath!
Shadow2341 chapter 58 . 11/15/2010
This...

is...

And my head automatically screamed 'SPARTA!' lol, finally out of Azkaban... hooray.
anonymous chapter 58 . 11/15/2010
I should begin with the note that I really didn't care for Ender's Game or Death Note or whatever and find it really tedious to read writing about child geniuses. This has nothing to do with you or this story; I simply don't care for the subgenre, or whatever you would call this subset of fiction, even if you've done a much better job with characterization by the middle of the series than those other works. The other elements of the story, therefore, are at a disadvantage in drawing my approval.

The other minor complaint I have is that some of the biases of an Oxford-based education which are visible in Harry's thought (some mild Eurocentrism esp. concerning the "Enlightenment," apparent belief in some of the less well-founded anti-communist claims, etc.) go without refutation, or even any real suggestion of fallibility save for the disclaimers occasionally included at the beginnings of chapters. Then again, it makes sense within the story and it probably reflects the author's own understanding of the history, which is certainly excusable for someone without a fairly serious interest in the field, as the means of judging the disputes between historians is considerably less clear-cut as judging the disputes between physicists (assuming similar levels of familiarity with the material). I accept that this is a very minor issue in this context.

Against such odds, this story is perhaps the most satisfying that I've read in years. It's nice to read about someone rationally examining the system of magic and trying to work out the rules and such, sure, solving puzzles is always fun. What sets this story apart from the source material by leaps and bounds, however, is the unflinching and courageous evisceration of "hide-bound morality" and the fairy tale's broad classification of actions and actors into the simple categories of "good" and "evil," indeed of the full gamut of prejudices and fallacies, some stemming from our biology and some from the structure of our society, which prevent our minds from properly grasping the problems of ethics as they appear to a rational and unclouded mind. Ranging from the simple things, like the discussion of Pettigrew's true bravery, to the clever balancing act of rewriting the House of Slytherin, Malfoy, and Voldemort as believable human beings with their own morality at least as justified as the rest of the wizarding world's, while still leaving no doubt that Voldemort's path still represented a very real Fall, the realistic depiction of conflicting ethical ideals within this version of the HP universe stands as a grand creative work in its own right. To contradict my earlier disdain for oversimplifying the mental changes we have undergone in the modern era under the term of "Enlightenment," I feel that all the fairy tales we have today, even the ones still being written, are fairy tales for the pre-Enlightenment world. In the Age of Reason, it is stories like this one which can provide the young with clarity about how to make ethical decisions, and not the stories most of us grew up with where they told us who the good guys and bad guys were right off the bat.

While a consequentialist humanism(/sentientism?) is not the only position such a rational approach to ethics can lead to, it is my personal preference, and I thank you for exposing people to it. It has been a great frustration arguing in favor of this position over the course of my lifetime, and though I learned as a young teenager how to shut up about it to avoid socially awkward reactions, it still pains me a decade later every time I have to grit my teeth and concede that I value my brief, fleeting happiness over the tremendous good that could possibly be done over the course of our lifetimes if I were better at persuading my peers to reconsider their approach, to ask how they can know what they know to be right. Hopefully, some of those who were particularly drawn in by the light-hearted science-related humor of the first few chapters include a number who would possibly otherwise be less capable than your Harry of resisting the arguments of those such as found in the works of Rand (or the Bible, though I feel as though fashion alone will suffice to drive those views to extinction among the educated segments of the population in a few short decades anyhow), who will walk away with a stronger grasp of the problems of moral philosophy and how to apply to them the methods of rationality.

Thanks for writing this, and I'm looking forward to the rest.
A Curious Reviewer chapter 58 . 11/15/2010
I truly appreciated your story although I did think it was complete after chapter 50. Until that point there was natural arc of growth for several characters and Harry seemed to get his most important lesson and there was a nice alternative explanation for all magic, etc given in chapter 36 (I think... It's been a while since I read the story).

I think everything magical is best explained as Harrys childish way of grappling with basic lessons of rationality. His poor, but intellectual family giving him strong need to dissociate and imagine better world where intelligence does matter more and life is actually more rewarding and exiting. He certainly isn't stupid and all stories about magic give him more chances to grapple everything he has learned presumably from his family and books and share with other children. To have friends he desperately needs.

Quirrel is strange one.

In chapters after 50 nothing really makes that much sense - it is more like he's playing roleplaying game with his father about prison escape where he invents on the spot whatever he needs instead of.. Understanding anything. Everything comes too easily I think. I'd say that prison sequence does not make sense at all.
ClarkesLaw chapter 58 . 11/15/2010
THIS. IS. MY. BROOMSTICK!

Oh fuck yes.
Moongoddess97 chapter 58 . 11/14/2010
Seriously, this is the best story i have ever read.

You are a genius.

I'm taking psychology and everything you say is like damn, i'm not forgetting what that means anymore lol.

Please update soon.

g.
Happy Sycophant chapter 58 . 11/14/2010
Recommended this fic to some friends. My engineer buddy read a few of the first few chapters and said Harry's thought process was too much like how he thinks at work, so he couldn't really relax and enjoy the story. Now I want his job.

I love the "philosophy" in this. It's caused a major paradigm shift in the way I see the world. I can no longer easily accept death as natural.
kawasai chapter 58 . 11/14/2010
Really enjoying this. :) Harry is a very believable character - a genius, but also still a kid. I think I understand much better why child geniuses *need* support - I always assumed that being that clever meant they wouldn't need as much support as other kids, but Harry's anxiety and mistakes (and chaos) say otherwise. The problem is that what he needs is harder to give than what a lot of other kids need. :(

Also, loving the rationality. :D It's fascinating!
Anon chapter 58 . 11/13/2010
I think I need to read the last few chapters again, since I read them at 5 am after reading the whole story in one shot from 2 pm yesterday.

Also, this story is awesome and the best HP fanfic EVAR. Everything everything everything is awesome. Do. Not. Stop. Please. (But also, do finish, please.)
sensoray chapter 58 . 11/13/2010
nooooo! erg...u r so good at leaving cliff hangers...i love that you always update in two's, it makes me happy :D
Miss Cow chapter 58 . 11/13/2010
I just want to say that this fanfiction is amazing. It's so original, and I've never read anything NEAR like it. Keep up the good work. :)
DarthPseudonym chapter 58 . 11/13/2010
Unfortunately, I have to say that these last two chapters have been my least favorite of the entire story. Not because what's going on isn't pretty awesome - it is! - but because I really loathe the writing technique you used here.

Hiding some critical piece of information from the reader can be used to great effect, but I think it's simply overdone here, goes on for far too long. These two chapters are much better on a second reading for the simple reason that you're now in on the secret, which suggests to me that all the playing-coy is detrimental to the story.

There's a point at which I just feel like I'm reading "He glued the thing to the other thing and hoped his action wouldn't take too long."

And then there's the end of Ch 58.

Hoo boy.

I'm sorry, but this just annoyed the hell out of me. We've spent one and seven-eighths chapters setting up for this, playing coy about what Harry's planning and what exactly he's doing, watching him put together this mysterious device all on his own... and now suddenly Quirrell is awake, so he immediately UNDOES ALMOST EVERYTHING HARRY JUST DID SO HE CAN DO IT BETTER.

This isn't a more experienced wizard coming along to clean up a few bits at the edges, like making sure that the method used to cut the wall wasn't too obviously Potter-ish. It's throwing away virtually the entire content of the previous chapter and a half so Quirrell can do it better.

Is it logical that a full fledged wizard can do a given job better than an eleven-year-old? Yeah, sure. Obviously. But it's not good storytelling.
Tangshou chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Near the end of the chapter:

'The Defense Professor threw his wand toward Bellatrix, and an instant later blurred into a green snake.

An instant after that the Dementors' fear returned to the room.'

Why wasn't there fear before this? They were all out from under the cloak at that point. Quirrel is extremely susceptible to the dementors yet he was showing no sign of fear at the end. Why would the fear return to the room at this moment? Was Quirrel using a spell to keep the dementors' fear away? If he had such a spell then why hadn't he used it earlier? Hmmmm.
Adrence chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
I've read all of this without reviewing because I was that into it. It's an awesome story. I like the way it's written. The rationality portion is extremly interesting. I'm currently very much into philosophy and thus rationality, and this story furthers that interest. So I'm going to blame you when I become a psychology/philosophy major instead of a famous mathematician ahaha. But yeah, great story, i hope you don't abandon it, and I hope you update soon. If Quirell isn't Voldemort, I'm going to punch myself for assuming. Hope we find out soon!
iSaint chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
I could spend a lot of time just going over how much I love this goddamn story. How it fills me with fear and worry and excitement and a love for science that always lurked within me, but never had the real chance to come out and bare its periodic teeth. But that is not why I am writing this review.

I am writing it to bring to the attention of the author a small problem I have realized after multiple readings of this chapter. Why isn't Bellatrix freaking out that Harry aka Voldermort is keeping a Patronus up? The snake-servant is obviously unconscious, and I guess it is just assumed she is okay with the sudden shift of personalities that this servant goes through. This is just something I wanted to introduce, although, honestly, would not be surprised, LessWrong, if you already knew all about this and had an elegant solution. Anyway, super excited for the continuation of this. Much love.

-Ian

P.S. I have gotten most of my friends to start reading this. It really has had a profound effect upon my interpretation of logic and rationality. You should be really proud of this.
Erroneously chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Wow. So utterly and completely hooked on this, you have no idea. It's so fascinating.
Anonymous chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Woot! You are SOOOO cool! I am totally recommending this fic to anyone and everyone who stands still long enough for me to babble out the URL!
mwahaha chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
yes continue your evil story at a faster pace! I am enthused. Lord Voldie ftw! somehow i hope both get back to school, and continue from there, wouldnt mind another year or two with voldie as teacher, after all, hes immortal; whats a bit more time after 11 years anyhow?

oh and pps speed the pace of time in the story up, or youll have 300 chapters to cover for 7 years!
Nikky chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Fuck you're awesome.
Tom Reagan chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Following a full reread, I'm now becoming very worried about the possibility of you not actually finishing this story, as in slowly developing all the many plot strands and characters and then concluding them properly. My gut instinct says that we're about a third of the way through the story (with the TSPE sequence feeling very much like an act 1/season 1 climax). By that logic, you've got over 600,000 words left to write (even at the current, incredibly fast rate, that'll be at least a year or two), and I can't really see that happening with a project that you only started for a bit of fun and because another project was stalling - hell, you probably have got more important things spend your time on, like friendly AI...

But I digress. Basically, what I'm saying is that I really, really hope that you stick with this to the end and give it the epic length it needs to do all the hints and plot strands justice. Because I would just love to see you depicting the all-out war between Voldemort (when he returns properly) and the rest of the wizarding world, with Harry trying to destroy the horcruxes (or even better, the war between muggles and wizards that you've alluded to. Done properly, that would just be too awesome for words).

So yeah, I just hope you continue with this for as long as it takes, it's simply one of best, most exciting, clever and enjoyable things I've read anywhere in a long, long time.
Wedn3sday chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Hope you update soon.
Sienf chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Brilliant stuff as always, however I'm adding "rocket-powered broomstick" to the list of things I can't boast about this fic when trying to seel it to new readers with the "... but done well!" excuse :D (like killing dementors and Quirrel saving Harry from a horde of yaoi fangirls :P)
Riad chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
I actually really liked that Bellatrix was rescued in this arc. Yeah, it's a horrible idea that Harry's only going along with because he's rashly anti-authoritarian/heroic at this point in his life and because the only sane adult he's ever met told him about it, but Azkaban really is terrible, both in canon and in your version, to the point where freeing probably -anyone but Bellatrix- would be worth the risk of recidivism. And Harry's wanted to free Bellatrix for a long time, ever since her son asked him to.

So I'm reading a certain scene in this chapter as strongly hinting that Dumbledore knows someone else is wrongly imprisoned as Sirius Black. And quite possibly Quirrel knows this as well, or else he'd have been less likely to assume Harry guessed the correct Black.

Would really like to know what's going on with Quirrelmort, Dumbledore, Lucius, both Blacks, and any other major players I'm overlooking... This fic is so long and even with all the hints, I still have no idea how to read various characters or plots!

But I really like what I can make sense of that I've seen so far. Quirrel's motivations make sense (if they've been presented accurately), even if I'm not sure about some of his actions. Harry is an extremely well-developed character. I love how many different, believable sources of psychological (and therefore social) tension play roles in this story, even if the suspense about the major players is starting to drag on too long for my poor brain.
Wolf chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Wow... REread this chapter for the third time and I just saw something. "I'm not serious, I'm not serious, I'm not serious..."

And Faux was screaming... and I gather from earlier comments that Faux could tell if someone was unjustly imprisoned... I do believe they were standing in front of Mr. Black's cell. And that poor man inside was NOT saying that he was not serious. I wonder where oh where dear old Sirius is?
Trivia chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
Haveing read the whole fic in one sitting, my final verdict is:

Your version of Harry is arrogant, possibly more so then your average "Independant Harry!" versions, who makes many assumptions and generalizations despite often speaking against such things.

The 'war game' does not make a ton of sense, as you have never given the rules to it. The lack of traitors on the sunshine and dragon teams doesnt make a great deal of sense, even if they 'outlawed' them, because anyone that would betray them for harry would probably still be willing to do so. (not to mention that doing without spies and traitors is like cutting your own eyes out from a military perspective.)

I take it that you have never read Sun Tzu's 'Art of War'?

Harry's argument against souls existing is based on the idea that souls 'think', when there is no real reason to think so. (I dont believe there has ever been a place where the soul was said to be the organ of reason, do you?)

To make a long story short, This story is called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, but there really isnt that much rational about it.

Just a great deal of refrences, a splash of ego, and a healthy dose of humanist propaganda.(Especially in the most recent chapters)

As for story telling goes, I though it was interesting at first, with Harry actually attempting to apply the scientific method to magic, but lately it just seems to be about Harry's ego and Humanism.
terrorofthehighway chapter 58 . 11/12/2010
But the enchantments that kept the broom pointed in a direction and allowed steering, the enchantments that kept the riders attached and somewhat protected them from acceleration, those enchantments were still functioning.

BROOMSTICK!

- no, BOOMSTICK, like you said. :D

That was a rather awesome scene.

I just want to say: "Thank you for updating". I'm still here. And still reading. (Like a lot of your other readers.)

And your writing has improved from the first few chapters: less science, more story telling.
David Hobby chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
Alan (a few back)

You quote "do not mess with time". But that warning came after Harry was trying to use time travel to do serious computational work.

It's not clear to me that my scheme is ruled out. The sole interaction in the time loop is the transmission of a single bit:

"Break into Azkaban"/"Don't".

It is a good story, if it generates this kind of speculation.
Kwobhe chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
TransfigurationExpert: "...ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, *solid*-fuel..."

Like many here, I find this to be a ridiculously engrossing story, by the way (about time I write something in the reviews).

I hope some of the older storylines don't get forgotten! What of the Zabini quintuple-agent story? How did the twins beat Rita Skeeter?
Niesse chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
You've broken canon again, Mr. Yudkowsky. I didn't notice it at the time, but I'm in the middle of re-reading Deathly Hallows and at one point Harry is under the Invisibility Cloak getting affected and sensed by Dementors. Not that that really matters in the face of your larger canon breaches, of course.

Oh, and since I'm here anyway I might as well add that, according to the books I've got, the counter-charm to the Stunning curse is Enervate or Renervate, not Innervate. (Unless that's another of your, ahem, Innovations?)

Are you sure you haven't read the last book? The inscription on Lily and James Potter's headstone, in the graveyard at Godric's Hollow, is "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death," which fits so amazingly perfectly into MoR I find it hard to believe you didn't know about it.
Alan chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
Great as always.

David: DO NOT MESS WITH TiME
David Hobby chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
It's a great series. Keep up the good work! (But when is Harry going to get around to doing a linguistic analysis of the words used in spells? Since the spells apparently can't change, this should fairly reliably pinpoint when and where they were created/discovered...)

So the part I don't get about this "Escape from Azkaban" sequence is this: Why don't they just never do their plan in the first place, once it goes wrong?

They went back in time before they started, and it seems like Quirrel could have left a message for himself saying "Yes, it worked out, so do it." Then if he doesn't get the message, they just decide not to break into Azkaban.

It's certainly what I'd do as a devious wizard, and the model of time travel used in the book seems to allow it.
Transfiguration Expert chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
Hello everyone,

I liked reading chapter 58 very much, until I discovered in the end, what Harry's plan for escape actually was. Did he think about the implications of letting all the wizards inhaling transfigured rocket-fumes, so that they probably get very sick and possibly die, when it transforms back to solid ice?

Surely this risk is minimized since an adult (Quirrel) has approved of this, but the risk stays, doesn't it? Also before Quirrel came to, Harry acted on his own.

Keep on writing!

Regards!
Catnipsandwich chapter 58 . 11/11/2010
Hi,

I love this :)

I followed a link from somewhere to the first page yesterday morning, and whilst dodging the stuff I had to do I finished it at 2am, then collapsed into bed.

It is amazing and awesome and really really good, and if the copyright thing on the characters ever gets lifted you should publish it.

Keep writing, I intend to keep reading!

Catnip
Kylani chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
I have to admit that I desperately want Sirius. As a good guy, as a friend and an ally, but I'm fully aware that if I follow your logic (and I'm pretty sure I've grasped it), Sirius will not be Harry's favorite person ever. Unless you continue to alter the canon.

It's incredibly depressing to see Harry go all dark and evil without even quite realizing it. Saving Bellatrix Lestrange from Azkaban? Neville will never, ever, ever forgive him. Not ever. So I'm hoping that Harry breaks away from Quirrell soon.
wisecurledqueen chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
...Mere words cannot describe my utter joy-and horror. The broomstick bit was beautiful, and man did I laugh. But the "I'm not serious" bit? ...I have a guess. A haunting guess that just proves your awesomeness in every way. Thank you!

-curledruler
madbrad chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
Oh dear. There have been (many?) fanfics which have mated muggle technology with magic and gone down the tubes as a result. As soon as Harry does it one has to ask "why don't all the other wizards do the same thing?". And if they *do* then much of the Harry Potter landscape is lost.

I do hope that Harry makes it out of Azkaban safe and with his memory intact. Being a pessimist I'm worried that Quirrell might obliviate him for some reason and so Harry will lose all of what he's learnt about dementors and the universe in this high-pressure escapade.

Excellent story, thank you for writing it and continuing it.
CelinLily chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
After reading through your profile page, I felt guilty for not reviewing. I await the day when Harry gets to meet Luna Lovegood, and hope that he has not forgotten his desire to marry her. For some reason, I want Hermione to lose, by destroying her plans of romancing Harry.
AOEUIDH chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
I very much enjoyed the climax of the prison escape. It reminded me strongly of the more epic climaxes of action in HP and the Wastelands of time (which I read after you mentioned them in early author's notes about the first rule of fan fiction).

Thanks again for continuing the writing. I appreciate it.
drowdemon chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
Amazing story. Original, suspenseful, humorous, intelligent... just plain awesome story.
Stick97 chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
harry potter and the Darwin award?

I have to wonder exactly what the effect of a rocket in the dementor pit might be?

part of me is looking forward to a dumbles with his beard nearly burnt off.

since it was made with dark magic, the rocketbroomster would have magical fire, preventing magic from allowing the easy regrowth of hair.

I have this mental image of Dumbledore looking like Tom the cat after an explosion in the old tom and jerry cartoons.

great chapter.
Ham Nox chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
What an epic end to the chapter :D

Glad to see that Quirrell is back in action. I've been heavily doubting it, but I'm beginning to think that Quirrell might actually care about Harry. Just a little bit, or as a matter of protecting one's assets for a long as the two have semi- temporarily compatible goals, at least. I'm just trying to understand WHY... I can see it being on his list to offer alliance and goodwill to the one prophesied to have the power to defeat him, rather than to rush out to kill the boy personally and thereby give the boy a perfectly good reason to seek vengeance. And if he's got a Xanatos gambit running with the Pioneer horcrux anyways, there's no reason he shouldn't try to get his influence on the kid whose power might one day exceed his own.. But I'm basing this on Quirrell's style, which seems... very unlike what I've heard of Voldemort's. I've got a few ideas on why that apparent inconsistency exists, but nothing certain :-/

I did what you suggested and went through the book again, writing down everything that looked like a clue. Your hints flow so seamlessly with the story, I have to think that you've planned out EVERYTHING in advance in order to place them so naturally. Of course, that might just be my hyperactive pattern/intent-recognition software trying to make every other word part of some grand conspiracy.

I have so many little theories brewing in my head, I'm using up all my RAM trying to tickle out some defining expectations. Time to start page-swapping before my brain overheats _
fRoGmElTeR chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
How many reviews are there?

It's OVER 9000!

Great fanfic, look forward to future chapters.
reddituknow chapter 58 . 11/10/2010
bada bing bada boom

KABOOM!

Story just keeps getting better and better
Arielrondil chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
Hmm.. presumably Harry has previously performed controlled experiments to see what happens to individual ions when the spell ends after transfigured chemicals have reacted? If he's sure the results will turn back into H2O molecules, he's only taking a minor risk to the aurors' health.

Why is Dumbledore covering for Harry? He knows the one person who has the power of a first year child while also being able to turn back dementors. Given his power, he has made minimal attempt to thwart the escape plan, while also making it look like he has tried his hardest. Even if Harry is caught, D can plausibly deny that he assisted his escape.

I think Dumbledore is planning to blackmail Harry. I still think Quirrell knew Harry would block the Habeas Corpus spell (or whatever it's called ;-) , and expected Harry to escape unaided, with complicit assistance from Dumbledore.

So, D and Q are working together to break Harry, using the age-old "insane cop, embodiment-of-evil cop" routine.

The only thing that doesn't fit this picture is: why would Fawkes hang around an evil Dumbledore...
Nongarak chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
Fucking cliffhanger. fffffffffff.
Aubri chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
Say there, is that a pre-regulation Destroyer-class solid-fueled recoil booster you have there? :)
Darla chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
I am not sure I see the relevance of these chapters to the Stanford Prisoner Experiment...but they are still well-wtitten. Your Azkaban is haunting. That said, your Harry has been behaving in an extraordinarily irrational fashion - trusting someone who clearly, even with limited information, is not worthy of trust, freeing a woman who is a known psychopath rather than presumably more-deserving prisoners without asking enough questions...sigh. (Oh, and assuming that the "mind-healer" will somehow magically heal Bellatrix' mental wounds enough to render her safe. That is ignorance of psychiatry and the limits of magic on a level not in keeping with the well-read character you've established Harry to be.)

I'm still following your story avidly, despite these minor critiques. I look forward to the next installment.
Furcas chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
TSPE wasn't as interesting to me as the rest of the story so far, but chapter 58 was very good.

I think Harry is right to trust Quirrel (up to a point).
annawheatlie chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
After 58 chapters, I figure I should say thanks. I don't read fanfic (ever - this is a first), I got bogged down around Canon HP4, yet I look forward to every new installment of MOR. so, thanks.
Amazar chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
I love the fact that all those wizards gathered around the top looking into the center are not going to interpret what they see as muggle technology joined to a broomstick. Instead, they will see a broomstick, prehaps powered by thunder, that still manages to overcome gravity even with the Anti-Anti-Gravity Jinx working... Powerful magic indeed.

And the fact that it is a broomstick that is also a boomstick...
kkatowll chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
AWESOME!

I totally didn't see that coming.

That was seriously cool.

(And I loved your mention of Sirius too.)
Blazen chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
Great story. Though I'd like to write more suitable review, I'm sorta short of time now.

So, I only wanted to ask - can I start to translate your story to Russian?

(Don't worry, I understand English better, than use it myself, so it won't be bad)

You can answer by personal message

PS: Actually, not many our HP fans can really appreciate it, I think. There isn't a lot of good fanfiction in Russian (HP or not). But I can hope, right?
Squeamish revise and extend chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
I trust that Harry and Quirrellmort together against the world would need something far worse than a mere death star.

Harry might think more about just how the Dark Lord might use the darker arts than any Imperious to shatter and reshape her, binding the most promising witch of her own generation to himself with an unhappy, unrequited love.
Arturo Vandorien chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
It is insane: how long this story is considering it is not even past the first year. I am looking forward to more.
nuttyknitter chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
the mixture of logic used in the face of the world of magic shows that not everything is found in books
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
Oh my- words can not describe that awsome.
korel.c chapter 58 . 11/9/2010

Richard chapter 58 . 11/9/2010
Regarding Quirrel's status - as trustworthy or otherwise, ambiguous, self-interested, meddling, overconfident, unpredictable, ultimately well-intentioned or whatever, I'm kinda surprised by the comfortable equation, among many commenters here, of Voldemort with all the evil in the world, and with evil itself as an analytical category. JKR takes considerable pains to avoid such a simplistic moral world, and I don't suppose MoR is simpler, morally or in any other way, than canon.
Curly chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
These chapters had some great moments, but overall they were very stop-and-start. It's a prison break action sequence where most of the action is the hero wrestling with his own indecision. I don't think intercutting between internal and external conflicts really works; the introspection drags down the action, and the fighting and fleeing cheapen Harry's emotional triumphs.

Although those are getting a little hard to take seriously. It's becoming a cliche of your story that a character can have his emotional wounds healed by a single piercing insight into the nature of his problems. For someone who doesn't believe in the therapeutic value of clinical psychology, you have a great deal of faith in interventions and epiphanies.

Those issues aside, though, I'm still riveted to this story, and can't wait to read more.
mikhail-ling chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
I am, at the very least, sorely disappointed with Harry for not listening to every single voice in his head. When every single rational voice is telling you that something is *wrong*, that all the observations point to a near irrefutable conclusion, surely Occam's Razor demands to be used at that point, not wanton hope, irrational trust, or spitting in the face of logic.

And no, I don't mean inventing a mechanically-enhanced broomstick. I meant trusting Quirrell-mort. Again.

Harry really hangs on to the Idiot Ball when it comes to Quirrell. Either that or my own moral bias would keep me away from such people regardless of what they say.

At any rate I'm quite glad that the Azkaban arc is over. The pacing was getting a little bogged down. Here's to moving on to greater adventures!
braindoll chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Should Harry willingly let Bellatrix - evil mass-murderer, no matter how manipulated - and Quirrel - no longer to be trusted, certainly not before Harry's had some leisure to consider the possibilities - out of his sight? It may not, strictly speaking, violate the rules of rationality; if Quirrel is bent on mischief, he's certainly capable of turning Bella and/or overpowering Harry once they're out of Azkaban. But it would absolutely violate the rule of curiousity and heroism, as well as probably the meta-rules of drama.

Harry is almost as curious and heroic as he is rational. If he's going to override those parts, you should at least show him doing so consciously: "Of course, Harry would like to see what Quirrel did next, but it would be foolish to imagine he could detect or stop any evil plans which Quirrel didn't want him to."
twistyguru chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
lol

and there was noise, indeed!

I've been catching up on the last few chapters, all in one big gulp, and I continue to be thrilled by this fic.

I can't wait to see how Harry works out dealing with Quirrel and Bella after they get away.

Personally, I'm hoping that Bella gets put back together in such a way that she's loyal to Harry, and not the homicidal maniac she has been...but that may be too much to ask.

Regardless, I'd like to see more, and soon!
HoneydukesFan chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
I love your story... It's so different! My brain is still trying to wrap around some of those experiments. And it's all real science? Wow.

Just...

wow.

Write on!
Ghostflea chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
I have recently reread most of this fanfic, recent chapaters left me wanting moar! but well I couldn't get more so i just reread it :D

Second read through I noticed some things I didn't quite clock before. If you are wondering if Quirrel is evil or not go back and read the very last line of chapter 26. It might not be conclusive but it does point in one direction. I don't know about spoilers in these comments/reviews so I don't want to go into the implications/side conditions.
AspergianStoryteller chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Awesome!
Comelovesleep chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
If he's not Sirius, who is he? Someone missing a hand or two?
falloutg123 chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
YOU ARE A GOD

This is by far the best fan-fiction i have ever read .

i really don't have words to express just... i really am at a loss from words, i have no idea what to write here when you had Harry potter taking off from Azkaban on a rocket mounted broomstick i have felt what it must feel like to be high... i will end this here please update very soon this is the first non complete fan-fiction i have ever bothered to read
The French Dark Lord chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Man tis is is adefinitely a fanfiction worthy to be accepted in the top ten harry potter best fic ever along with The wastelands of time, Knowledge is power or,The Lie I've lived!
Squeamish chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
What was that back in Chap30 about "Of course you did not aim sleep spells at broomsticks"? And there's an ancient wizard's white-hot winged beastie in pursuit? Thanks again.

Drat, I noticed there isn't an update-clue in the author's notes. I'll have to rely on my RSS reader for the next exciting installment.
badkidoh chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
another great chapter
irrelevant chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
He transfigured the rocket, right?

Will the gaseous exhaust kill everyone? Or at least the chasing aurors?
DaveInACave chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
LOL! Literally... I can't stop laughing right now!

I got the quote from last chapter, but I figured it'd be a distraction bomb or something, maybe a conjured defensive Gatling gun turret or something equally implausible and unlikely.

Instead you went a few steps further into the realm of the implausible and unlikely and strapped a bleeding rocket to a broomstick. I can't say I haven't considered that in the past, although I'd discarded it as incredibly inefficient, impractical and excessively awesome. Then again, rockets make everything cooler. Even if it's a toaster. Especially if it's a toaster. .
Saltwater chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
...NOT fair, you absolutely cannot leave me there. After i waited ALL THIS TIME, and resisted reading you partial-chapters as they came out so that i could have one massive read... not even ONE more chapter out? (she says, after almost three straight hours of reading. HAH)

*mutters and crosses arms*

Well, at least its at the end of this little adventure, instead of halfway through.. suppose i should be grateful for that, or something.

Sigh. What on earth are we supposed to be thinking about Quirrell, by the way? Obviously hideous confusion is your main goal with us, but you know, BESIDE that.. Weep. I cant help but like his character so so much. I just have NO idea what's happening, all i can do is cross my fingers behind my back and hope for the best.

Also, Bellatrix. Sweet.

ALSO, Harry's 'dark side' fragment-of-Voldemort's-soul... did.. did he just make friends with it?

I really quite love how one-sided your story isnt. Everyone. Everyone is evil (except for Hermione) and everyone is not. EVERYONE.

I also quite liked your possible Sirius cameo in here - well thats what i took 'im not serious' as anyway. Most people probably did. Its all very sad.

AND IS QUIRRELL EVIL?

I am getting increasingly less capable of thinking. You have kept me up will 4 in the morning, and i have places to be tomorrow, you bastard.

I shall allow myself to sign off now, before i really start to confuse you (though you DESERVE IT). Thanks a bunch for continuing to write with such violent speed and efficiency, and know that i appreciate your writing so much, and try to show my love through epic reviews.

So until next time, when i wait another goodlongtime and then gorge on your chapters once more.

Enjoy yourself!
yamiishot chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
He attached a rocket to the broomstick.

Son, I am impressed.
Spidey-phd chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Bwahahaha! A rocket propelled broomstick! I'm in love!
Guardian Box chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
I wish I could erase my memory of this fic so I could read it all over again.
Heidinanookie chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
uhm, just a thought about the booster rocket: I hope Harry thought about getting some steering flaps or something like that. Otherwise he'd hardly be able to control the direction in which they are going. They might be propelled into the sky just as fast as towards the ground if there's no was to influence the direction...

By the way, I still believe Quirrell is evil, and Harry would be stupid to trust him again so easily. Clearly, Quirrell underestimated him and used him as a brainless tool, not telling him the whole plan and not reckoning that Harry has a mind of his own.

heidi
HoBoAdin chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Excellent couple of chapters. I particularly liked the internal discussion on bias against any negative thoughts could be just a damaging as the negative thoughts themselves.

Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere in the story, but has there been any explanation of Harry and Quirrell's magic not interacting? Similarly Quirrell's "zombie mode"? It seems that our rationalist hero would have at least mussed about the reasons. I'm sure this has at least been thought out already, but as I can't find it in the story, I thought I'd ask.

Adin
Freya chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
I love it! Just read the entire thing in three days!

You had me when you mentioned the feynman lectures and bayesian theory in the first chapter (I'm a physics student, in my first MSc semester).

Just wondered why in TSPE, Harry didn't just put Bella and Quirell in his puch, put on his cloak and fly away... if the pouch can keep an animagus Quirell in it, why not a normal human (biologically speaking just another animal) Quirell?

I also wondered about some other things, but because I didn't seperately review each single chapter, of course I forgot everything (so much for the importance of a great memory...)

I'm really curious about where this is going! Whith stories like this I always hope the author (you) had a plan for the whole story in mind, even when starting with chapter number 1. Otherwise it's just destined for another "LOST"-like debacle, and I really hope that's not the case with this fic!

I hope the next chapter will be up soon!
showstopper573 chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
a sweet form of agony. That is what i would say about this chapters cliffy
jdboss1 chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
fly fly a ways yreeeeeeeeeeee

keep the Chapter comeing
Apurv2009 chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Very comical end. But u should have left Harry good...evil however logical is not appropiate. Its not just. N humans r not evil. Anywyas lets see what Harry does can he face Hermione r his other friends agian lets see..
Armagnac chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Now I really want to see the aftermath! Is Harry really going to buy what Quirrel is selling?
Guest chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
And you say you're undeserving... :P
Rosa Mundi chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
I love you. I'd offer to bear your children if I weren't 1) monogamously married already and 2) too old anyway. This chapter is made of pure unsullied win and awesome.
Tehol.Beddict chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
'Harry hit the ignition switch on the General Technics made, model Berserker PFRC, N-class, ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, solid-fuel rocket that had been mated to his Nimbus X200 two-person broomstick.'

Epic-ness.

the list is as follows

1)partialy kissed hero

2)methods of rationality

3)laurencey,lechery,and luna lovegood

P.S. have you read either of the others? they are both fabulous i recomend them warning all stories are very long
Guest chapter 58 . 11/8/2010
Wow! extremely exciting chapters!

Slight DeusEx machina with Quirrel waking up, but thats ok. It really would have been impossible with Harry on his own.

But I really don't see Quirrel's point with the killing curse. He could have used anything else. Stunners, immobilizers, plenty of stuff. If I was Harry, i'd be having huge doubts in my mind. Harry's sacrifice plan was actually a decent one.

Along with that, there are many many awesomes to this part of the plot. With partial transfiguration, I was thinking many small ball-bearings instead of motor oil, but the bearings themselves being finally connected only by one atom or aomthing to their ends. Two circular cutting curses and we are in business! I can't believe I thought of something as clever as the author!

Many memorable lines.

But main crib point I am visualizing in the future is - this universe i full of competent people. I really can't visualize our Harry, even with Quirrel at his side, outfoxing and ruling over Dumbledore, Mc Gonagall, Amelia Bones, Lucius Malfoy, Severus Snape - I am even looking forward to the interactions with Shacklebolt, Moody and Bellatrix. This is HARDCORE!

I am looking forward to him and Draco studying a lot of biology esp. neuro-physiology to become "efficient" warriors.
Play4ever chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
The boomstick was a nice touch! :D
Jay-Birdy chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
It would be remiss of me not to review at this point, however, having just read through the fic, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO SAY.

For one, I think it is brilliant. This could of so easily turned into a sort of Mary-Sue-Potter fic, and yet it didn't which I appreciate. Your laws of fanfiction should be obeyed by all.

I think that Quirrelmort is an intriguing character, and I'm anxious to see where he ends up.

The two Blacks plotline threw me for a loop in a good way. I'm not serious? Methinks the prisoner doth protest too much! Unless... WILD SPECULATION TIMES. Also I just want to hug Bella. She seems so sad!

And that's all I got for now. Thank you for writing this fic, and I look forward to continuing to read it.
WB chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Was not expectating that.

Pretty amusing.
Phoenix Flight chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Ok, we've got to know Harry's been played. That said, That Is FREAKING AWESOME!
uo-chou chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Awesomeness! A rocket broom, excellent. I love this story. Keep up the excellent work homes!
phoebe turner chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
great chapter!
burtikus chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
test of awesomeness crushed yet again. Love this fic. Can't award an unfinished fic GOAT status, but once it's done, I imagine it will be. Thanks.
elizzie chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
wow fantastic chapter :)
Nerdfish chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Rocket. Propelled. Boomstick.

ROFL.
Paganimagus chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
"And there was noise."

SWEEEET

Of course, the last third of the chapter was overshadowed by the muttering of "I'm not serious, I'm not serious".

That left me laughing maniacally for a minute or two.
BluePard chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
"I'm not serious."I just wanted to point out that I noticed that.

I'm enjoying the life-or-death stakes of the last few chapters. Should be interesting to see more of Voldemort's plan unfurling.
Peregrinate chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
ahahaha! That's genius! :D

I love this fic. But you get no thanks from distracting me from my homework. /

Oh well. *shrug* :D

You should update again soon. *wink wink nudge nudge*
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I have long since noticed that my favorite authors tend to read each other. Normally this would be quite unusual however I generally only find new stories by consulting the lists of those I know have tastes generally similar to mine.

I agree that Harry was an idiot for not thinking about the tactical value of using a spell that you know will have to dodge at all costs.

So one yes Army of Darkness and Bruce Campbell in general are awesome (speaking of which new season of Burn Notice on USA Thursday 11/11/2010!). Two I have long since been a reader of Wastelands and I am now reading Black Comedy.
Tuesday Next chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Loving this...

Was that prisoner saying "I'm not serious" or "I'm not Sirius"?
Eclipse1234 chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Brilliance.
Eugene Yunak chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
this is awesome, i love it!
Salazarscontagion chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I loved the end of this chapter! Can't wait for the next :)
mir chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

We're flying!

When will this come out for kindle?
AoMythology chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Hmmmm... I was worried that Quirrell would cease being Harry's mentor after the latter's bout of distrust towards the former, so I was glad when Harry considered Obliviation on himself and even more glad when he believed what Quirrell told him.

By the way, was the broomstick line inspired from "300"?
Adam Shea chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
How far do the Azkaban enchantments stretch? After burn-out they'll be going ~150mph. It'd be really unpleasant if the levitation doesn't pick up before then and they go ballistic into the water that fast.

Also, congrats on making Quirrelmort a villain you can still cheer for.
BLitZme.2 chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I love this story "spry young man of 60" lol also Broom stick

So you know i liked the old chapter 57 better.
papillon2 chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Okay, that works a bit better. :)

(Hmmm, and who is it that's not Sirius?)
manonairs chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
LOL! Rocket-propelled broomsticks. gold!
NormalAnomaly chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I did not know what he was doing with the "Muggle technology" until you revealed it. Great suspense. Also, very glad that Harry and Quirrell can stay on good terms for a while longer. /maturity

FUCK YEAH ROCKETSHIP BROOMSTICK! FUCK YEAH!
Morbious20 chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Awesome chapter
Tom Buckner chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I just finished Chapter 58 and I think I've been holding my breath for about half an hour now...

This story is UTTERLY UNPREDICTABLE and that's a very good thing.
Maira Blue chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
My mind is officially blown.

This is absolutely, without doubt, the best Harry Potter fic I've ever read. I'm sure you've heard that before (several thousand times before, in fact) but I'll say it anyway because I'm basically speechless at the moment.

And thank you for the link to the Less Wrong blog; that site is excellent.
Sangemaru chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
You.

Insane.

Fucking.

Bastard.

THAT WAS SUCH A LAME CLICHE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU USED THAT NOBODY SHOULD EVER USE THAT, IT'S NOT FAIR TO USE IT, IT WILL MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH THEIR ASSES OFF AND CURSE YOUR NAME AND SPIT FRUITJUICE ONTO COMPUTERSCREENS AND WRITE IN CAPS AND BE PISSED! AT! THE! GODDAMN! CLIFFY!.

Huh...

I feel better now.
Keimarios chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Question: You've wrote about the Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows references but will the Philosopher's Stone be mentioned at all in this story? Sorry if you did make a reference earlier about the first book and I didn't notice but I haven't seen anything in this story about the Stone. It can grant immortality and I wonder what Harry would think of it and how it could help him in his goals. Would the stone, should you choose to incorporate it, be made of a substance that Harry wouldn't dare consider, like souls being used to form Philosopher's Stones in Fullmetal Alchemist?
hjcallipygian chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
hahahaha, partial transfiguration might be Harry's calling card, but I would way that loud, flashy combinations of Muggle and magical would also be Harry's calling card.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
*reads reviews* Even your readers have forgotten that Quirrelmort is supposed to be the villain here...
Raucanum chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
One of my favorite aspects of this story is how magic isn't simplified to the point that a first-year who studies hard can suddenly out-duel adults, like in so many other stories. I like that rationalist!Harry has practiced his transfiguration for hundreds of hours, but still is vastly less powerful than adults with tens of thousands of hours practice.

To people wondering about burning something that's transfigured- the rocket is transfigured from an ice cube. Generally, replacing any handful of molecules in the body with water would not be harmful. According to WP, "exhaust from APCP solid rocket motors contain mostly water, carbon dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and a metal oxide (typically aluminium oxide)". Metal oxides are not metabolized, CO2 is not absorbed, and H and Cl- are mostly used for ion gradients.
Pentecost chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Clever. Quite clever.
q chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Wait, why can't Harry and Quirrel's magic touch?
Count Napula chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
This is brilliant. If you wrote a novel, I would buy it.
Luiz4200 chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Please update.
Debate4life chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Your solution to the anti-broomstick charms made me laugh. I love this story- every chapter is like a treat. I look forward to weekends because it seems like that is when you update the most. I broke my ankle this week, and this is the first thing that has really cheered me up since.

Thanks!
SMTRodent chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
This story has become a joyful, perplexing, frustrating and delightful part of each weekend; very much looked forward to. Not once, when reading a new chapter, have I thought 'well, I saw that coming'.
Final-Fan chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Isn't it extremely dangerous to Transfigure something and then burn it? I mean, I imagine the escapees will outpace their own exhaust, but the Aurors may be in danger. Won't they?
Guest chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Very, very nicely done. The contrast between the style of the protagonist and the style of the universe makes for some very interesting situations...

Tries to imagine a rationalist-thrown-into-H2G2-universe fanfic

head explodes
Dur'id the Druid chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
LOL! I suddenly have an image of the goblin-made flying rockets from World of Warcraft. Hope they keep all their fingers and toes after this experiment with explosive devices.
KenAR chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Zoom.

Should be "on" rather than "or" at the end of "Bellatrix followed behind him, she took the cufflike devices or her wrists..."?
Wanderer D chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
This chapter makes me want to laugh evilly. Mwahahaha! *Cough*
Kitty chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
"she took the cufflike devices or her wrists"

should it be "she took the cufflike devices ON her wrists" ?
GradStudent chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Solid use of a movie quote. I approve.
Kitty chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Wow! just when I think there's no way this can end happily without a deus ex machina, you do something outside of the box that solves everything in a reasonable but so out of the box way that no one but you can imagine it. You are a god. Hope you published a book in the future .
outlawpoet chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
For any young witches and wizards reading this, don't try this at home.

Professor Quirrel and Harry Potter are trained professionals, who have tested this device before, and have used Muggle technology and spells not mentioned in the text to alter the center of gravity of the broomstick rocket, to protect their hearing, and redirect the heat.
Violet Shadows chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Heh, nice.
Sliver of Infinity chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
That was awesome.
Noxae chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Epic chapter is epic.
firedraygon chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Hahaha oh wow, what an escape plan! I'm definitely looking forward to how you incorporate Bellatrix into all this, once she's been healed. Fantastic chapter. Please write more soon!

~fd97
DualX chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
... Wow this is incredible depressing.

First time i read this... I forgot to subscribe... At chapter 19 or so...

Oh well, I had great enjoyment reading this again.

Its such an unique style used here... an original plot... with all the concepts turned itno real world concepts.
CuriosityKilledKat chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Brilliant, as always! I look forward to your next update with relish.
Nielso chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
And if Dumbledore didn't know it was Harry before, he certainly does now.

P.S. Getting harder and harder not to trust Quirrelmort!
Arkh Cthuul chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Hahahahah...didnt see that one coming, though in retrospect I should have, marvellous!

Quirrels Arguments: Hmmmm, interesting. I am looking forward to the next chapter, again!
capdancer chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
You gotta love a writer who not only links back to Army of Darkness, but who knows our indomitable language well enough to use a phrase like "essaying a magic". Finally, Harry gets to marry some serious technology with magic, to what end and ultimate result will only come with the next installment, but a great end to this, as the previous few, chapters. Looking forward to More Right from Less Wrong.

Enjoyed this and the last few immensely.
Mac Ceallach chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
That. Was. Epic. Thank you so much.
Yuen chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Is Sirius not innocent in this universe, I wonder.
Kutta chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
THE BROOMSTICK THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS! Epiiic!
loserthree chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
. . The old wizard reached out toward another metal door, from

. . behind which came a endless dead mutter, "I'm not serious,

. . I'm not serious, I'm not serious..."

AH-motherlfrakking-HAH!

Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, Children of AAAAALL ages, I give you the Unfortunate Metamorphmagus, Peter Pettigrew.

. . "Did you know there's a fourth-year girl in Hufflepuff who's

. . a Metamorphmagus?" said Hermione as they headed toward the

. . Great Hall. "She makes her hair really red, like stopsign

. . red not Weasley red, and when she spilled hot tea on herself

. . she turned into a black-haired boy until she got it under

. . control again."

That bit wasn't included _just_ to make a shout out to Ranma 1/2. That's how Peter knew so many secrets, and that's how Peter is in Azkaban and Siris is... maybe dead, maybe living as a dog somewhere in hiding and all that.
obsidian-fox chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
JATO broomstick? I certainly hadn't expected that!

I look forward to more!
Pathatlon chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
DID THEY MAKE IT? Argh!
Gamebird chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Rocketman! Awesome.
Az chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
When I read "And there was noise." I realized I was awesomefacing, and not breathing.

I had to read this chapter again, immediately.

I still haven't decided if Bellatrix is Evil, and Quirrellmort is just using him (it's likely that Quirrellmort IS using Harry, but whether or not he's being truthful about Harry ending up being wizard-king is another matter), or just Misunderstood (unlikely, given that insane laugh, there).

I don't understand why Harry didn't time-turner himself, Quirrellmort, and Bellatrix, in order to avoid the Aurors, though.
awed chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
So incredibly epic...
Niqi chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
THIS IS BEYOND EPIC.

I went searching last night for the source of the quote before the author's notes got put up, and I read the entire quote. At first I thought it said "broomstick" instead of "boomstick." So this is friggin' brilliant.

And now I really wanna see that movie.

Also, "I'm not serious"? Could that possibly mean "I'm not Sirius"? And if so...who's in his place? O_o
AngelForm chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Well so much for trying to second guess you.

Bolting a rocket to the bottom of a broom, genius. Utterly insane but genius nonetheless.

The question of Sirius grown jet more convoluted. Leaning towards him being innocent however, doubt the phoenix would kick up such a fuss otherwise.

Once more a great line from the headmaster, spry young man of sixty indeed.
Guest chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Epic escape. Nice to have Q back. Wish I saw Army of Darkness. I'd now couldn't stop myself from adding "A screaming comes across the sky." somewhere in the next chapter, but then it's your story :).
demone celestiale chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
This is actually the best FanFic I have ever read, and thats saying something. I was literally siting on the edge of my seat, grinnning like a madman with anticipation. No book, or FanFic has ever done that in recent memory. I am Amazed at your talent and I think that once you done with Methods of Rationality you should write a real book. I would buy it SO fast, it would be great. I love this story, I love you, I even have begun to really enjoy less wrong, a whole new world of knowledge! THANK YOU!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Is it just me or did you not any earliest-updated-at date? That makes me queasy.

I'm happy you haven't ended the Quirrel subplot by him being obviously evil.

Everyone says it all the time: This is a) better than the original, b) really really really really good on its own. I hope you like flattery, even non-creative flattery.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Really? Really? So Harry trusts Quirrelmort again, just like that?
Mikko Rauhala chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Yes well, of _course_ the thin transfiguration was just for the wall and not to actually create a useful structure... Not exiting through the Dementor holes then. Should've taken more notice that it was going to be a partial one - no reason to do that just for building something.

Glad to see Harry could be persuaded not to give himself up. Quirrel's explanation does even seem probably true given that their cover could've been salvageable with a proper memory charm (even if Quirrel has been known to kill before).

Loved "obviously you will see person _pretending_ to be healer". There was someone who speculated that perhaps snakes (including transformed animagi) can't lie to a Parselmouth. If so, that could be at work (and also the real reason that Quirrel preferred to talk as a human before).

Solid-fueled rocket, though; would've expected a liquid hydrogen/oxygen-fueled rocket, so that exhaust would be the same substance as the source material - water. This would've presumably further minimized the risk that the exhaust molecules bind into something in someone's body where substitution with the original water would result in nastyness. Not biochemist enough to say if that should matter - using water _does_ seem pretty safe. Also, not sure if the energy density of liquid H/O would be sufficient. Ah well.

Some catharsis, at last, though the aftermath will certainly be interesting as well.

One expects Harry not particularly wanting to cast his patronus in the presence of Dumbledore anymore - wonder if the recognition will last.
Primal Chaos chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
nice tribute to army of darkness i laughed hard at that!
kyle90 chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Ah, so I was wrong about the guided missile, but a rocket broomstick is probably at least 10 times as awesome. Yet another amazing chapter.

(And I'm glad Quirrell took over; I'd be a bit wary of using a rocket motor that had been attached with glue. And three seconds to do a transfiguration that took Harry 90 minutes! This guy is insanely powerful.)
E.A.V chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I love this. I love you and you and you. I love the world. The sky is shining and beautiful. The rocket has taken off! EEEEEEEEK! !

Once again you've stunned me by the sheer inventiveness of your plot and your pure genius of storytelling! I'm positively giddy!
Rufus Shinra SFFS chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
How. Can. You. Manage. To. Be. That. Crazy. Awesome ? I mean, it's over (9000, I know) the craziest things you dared before. And man, we know you aren't limited by anything else than logic (and even so). But that. That... is better than the Pioneer horcrux. Above it. Beyond.

*looking for my jaw, somewhere*
Dur'id the Druid chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Oh, only a couple hours to next chapter. Thank you!
fontgoddess chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
This is my immediate response to the end of this chapter:

Fuck yeah.
Loonynamelass chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Oh my! Quite a turn.
farwalker chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
A rocket propelled broomstick!

coolness!

Quirrel & Harry really need to talk...
foudebassan chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
Thank you for writing!
Greytune chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
This is gonna get complicated.
yrfgd chapter 58 . 11/7/2010
I LOVE IT! What a superb ending to the chapter. "This is my broomstick"

You're brilliant. Keep it coming.