Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ack1308 chapter 61 . 4/7
Hmm. Wonder how Harry's going to get out of this one.
WildRosa13474 chapter 61 . 4/5
Woah, I can't believe I made it half way. I usually don't make it far into ultralong novels, I guess this one is just really really good.
WildRosa13474 chapter 61 . 4/1
'You have to be off your rocker to ride one.' This is such a great impression of how the magical world works. Plus it's absolutely hilarious.
Not Sure chapter 61 . 11/30/2016
Really? Fourteen (or twelve, if you do not count the aftermath and what I suspect to be related Omake, thirteen if that is not related, but the aftermath still counts) chapters for one internally consecutive story arc, that does not lead to the finale or even a particular twist? Now if you are wondering why I am writing this review here (and I should note it is the first and possibly only review I have written and will write, considering how much further ahead you are in writing in the first place and how some of your ideas of storytelling can't quite seem to be compatible to mine hence causing the process of reviewing them to be pointless (also considering you have from what I understand a representative audience from relevant groups, which will most probably reflect my opinion anyway)), it is because after all this time, this arc was dragging out so far, that I looked up how much time it would take to end. Leaving aside not changing chapter names but splitting one "chapter" in twelve parts, this was the first time I have looked forward for anything about this book to end, which marks a comparably very sad point in time in all the enjoyment I have had of the previous chapters. All in all, there have been relatively few (compared to some of the "groundbreaking" stuff in previous chapters) philosophical revelations, that I had regarded to be an integral point in this book, nor that much on the level of plot or character development, that in my eyes would warrant stretching it out to the extent of creating a retarding moment while there actually was suspense on the level of the plot (a rhetorical choice I cannot seem to comprehend, if intentional). I do not wish to spoil myself of what lies ahead and as such I will not check, but I do hope, that this sort of occurence is not repeated and that my enjoyment of this may return to its previous form.

At that point, though I have expressed it implicitly by going to the length of pointing out the relativity of the negative criticism I had in comparison to the rest, that I have read so far, I would like to mention, that even after all of this, this would still be among the five favourite books I have read in my life and one of the best philosophical texts since I have last read Kant.

I hope, that my hypotactic phrasing mostly derived from my native language (which happens to not be English, because of which I would like to ask for forgiveness for any mistakes that I have made (I am almost sure, that there are some; after all many of my sentences are too complex to not expect to make mistakes regularl in any language) and partially Latin has not obfuscated, what I have been meaning to say.

Last, but not least, I would like to point out, that something with such brilliant ideas and implementation as this must have (to a relatively high point of probability, to speak slightly more scientifically) incited similar reactions from other people with similar trains of thoughts and quite possibly even similar speech patterns, so this review exists not because I expect you to be in a probable need of my criticism, but rather for my own satisfaction at this moment. From what I can observe, my language as well as generally structuring this review and the used connotation should demonstrate the calming of my mood as I wrote all of this. And while with as many reviews as I expect you to have I cannot possibly to actually expect anyone to read this, the effort to write it would seem to be a shame to waste purely on my self-satisfaction in this moment even though that does justify it sufficiently by my standards.
The Anguished One chapter 61 . 8/9/2016
So they're fairly sure Harry is not involved in breaking Bellatrix out, but that would mean the Second Wizarding War has started... it's weird how wrong and yet right they are over this.
A chapter 61 . 4/7/2016
There are so many things about this chapter that are just SO AWESOME!
I couldn't stop laughing throughout the first half of it. I love that Mr. Weasley made an appearance and the mention of polyjuice for Harry's second year just made me die. Also a bunch of other things
Montara chapter 61 . 1/24/2016
Nice
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 61 . 12/8/2015
Such complicated plots and discussions, all leading to a wrong conclusion. I feel sorry for McGonagall in this chapter, she's a good woman who doesn't have kind of twisty, Slytherin mind to deal with Harry and his chaos
ShadowLDrago chapter 61 . 10/26/2015
Goddammit Harry, halfway through the fic, and not even entirely through your first year and you've ALREADY started the Second Wizarding War!
GreatWyrmGold chapter 61 . 9/9/2015
Halfway through the story, and one of the most incredible examples of either Quirrel's perfect estimation of his foes or plans crashing into each other. See, this is what I love about HPMoR.
SilverRider09 chapter 61 . 8/29/2015
Harry Potter: *transfigures nuclear bomb*
Voldermort: *transfigures nuclear bomb*
Dumbledore: "Well, there goes that one..."

XD
PA chapter 61 . 5/22/2015
Well ... I suppose we're not following any sort of book order now are we?
thepkrmgc chapter 61 . 8/2/2014
its good to see dumbledoor and co freaking out and tying to understand what just happened from their POV
Alia chapter 61 . 6/11/2014
Actually, the aerial raids knows as the Blitz didn't happen in the summer. I obviously can't tell if you mean that as a clue or just don't know. Of course, it's not impossible that there were London bombings outside the Blitzkrieg.
silverrain-shiningsun chapter 61 . 5/22/2014
"Mr. Potter is an Occlumens? You gave him an invisibility cloak and he is immune to Veritaserum and he is friends with the Weasley twins? Albus, do you have any idea what you have unleashed upon this school?" Her voice was nearly shrieking, now. "By his seventh year there won't be anything left of Hogwarts but a smoking hole in the ground!"

Albus leaned back in his great cushioned chair, and said, smiling, "Don't forget the Time-Turner."

She did scream then, but quietly.

Hahahaha
Talonis Wolf chapter 61 . 1/28/2014
Whoops. Harry, what did you do?

Hehehe... HE TRICKED DUMBLEDORE HE TRICKED DUMBLEDORE WHOOPEE!

'Bout time that man got a taste of his own medicine!
Grizzmon chapter 61 . 1/15/2014
Let's see Harry fix this...
onlytoask chapter 61 . 12/2/2013
I'm really excited to see if he gets away with it. Normally I would have an assumption that would probably be right, but I am confident that I am unable to even partially predict anything in this story with any degree of accuracy.
Lunacom chapter 61 . 8/18/2013
You would think that the wizarding government would send at leas one person or a few to the muggle would to get degrees in things in order to actually learn about the muggle world.
Mavarax chapter 61 . 6/29/2013
If hearing information from x hours in the future means you can only travel 6-x hours back, then surely to prevent someone from using a time turner, you need only get someone to travel back from 6 hours in the future and tell them some inocuous fact from then. Although I guess that could be evaded by just obliviating yourself.
tot chapter 61 . 6/20/2013
It's pretty interesting how the entire realm of using Muggle artifacts has become Harry's signature move, much like Expelliarmus was his signature move in the books. Parallel? Though it's also quite sad that magical Britain knows so little of Muggles that any non-magical device is assumed to be Harry's.
L.E chapter 61 . 6/4/2013
Very interesting chapter.
Guest chapter 61 . 6/2/2013
If they get rid of equal and opposite...
?
!
They'll fall over!
Mehhhhhhhhhhh...
Makes my head hurt.
!
They'll lean on the wall and - the chair won't work either!
Sdkhdfsjkkghdskjhfdhkhjfhghrfgdfkghfjrkghjfhc!
INSANITY!
Endless Strategy Games chapter 61 . 2/28/2013
Perhaps I'm missing something, but how do these Patronuses keep finding Harry? If they let a person locate anyone they've ever met in their life, and can break through Azkaban's wards, what's stopping Bellatrix from being located, or any other missing person?
Guest chapter 61 . 2/22/2013
Please write the chapter in which McGonagall finds out about harry breaking into Azkaban soon.
Guest chapter 61 . 1/29/2013
You would have thought Muggle artifacts were too kosher for Voldie and his Death Eaters.
Guest chapter 61 . 1/19/2013
I love this story! So many plots...Probably better than the original HP storyline. Can you include Sirius, though? He was one of my favorite characters, and it would add some drama to Harry's guardianship situation.
Guest chapter 61 . 11/8/2012
The discussion about Voldemort using rockets gave me flashbacks to the Ultimate Evil from Time Pirates.

So, does Snape do anything besides drawling? I could swear that was the only thing he did in this chapter. Seriously, man, look up some synonymns.
W.Kathy chapter 61 . 10/31/2012
wow...just wow...I can't even begin to describe how fantastic the whole break-in and escape of the Prison is...I'm going to read on now to find out how Harry and his friend-teacher got around the time-turner thingy.
voodooqueen126 chapter 61 . 8/2/2012
Well they came to a false conclusion.
Ylva chapter 61 . 7/12/2012
One more thing. When Mr. Weasley speaks of that rocket from six years ago - which would be 1986 - was he talking about Chernobyl?
Ylva chapter 61 . 7/12/2012
Um... wasn't Severus *there* when Lesath fell to his knees in heartfelt prayer?
Bastassine chapter 61 . 4/22/2012
It feels weird reading about a wizard-raised Minerva McGonagall.

Albus, Severus and her were all half-bloods, and her father was as muggle as Tobias Snape could be. She even must remember WWII as a child. Contrary to Tom M. Riddle she wasn't yet in school during the Blitz period. Or maybe she just started elementary school. Through I don't know if the war touched Scotland like other parts of England outside London.
Decius chapter 61 . 4/3/2012
Ah! While no information goes back more than six hours, Harry uses two time-turners (only one of them his) to send his message back.

That brings us an interesting tactic: send someone back in time to just before first your enemy gets notice of an event, and give the enemy something which qualifies as information from the future. That should prevent the enemy from using his time-turner to go back more than six hours prior to the time of the information you gave him.

As for maintaining a stable time loop, establish some way of ensuring that the opponent you wish to prevent from going back in time to stop you has already received the information from the future prior to starting your misadventure. If there is a way to verify that the information was passed without yourself receiving it, block the opponent, verify the block, then have someone travel backwards to share the information that the block was successful (and further, that you were not caught).

Lots of planning, at least two time-turners, and two co-conspirators allow for a flawless plan which doesn't go off unless it succeeds.
Deadzepplin chapter 61 . 11/29/2011
I think that one day all paradoxes will be solved by someone who accidentally or being told by themselves going back in time how to make a device that labels all paradoxes and sends them back to write messages not to mess with time
AR chapter 61 . 9/22/2011
Ah...that makes so much more sense now. The potion..ofcourse...

I wonder if the boy realized just HOW much of a catastrophe he would create by his actions. Kinda like a butterfly that way.
Lydia M Argent chapter 61 . 9/11/2011
Wow Harry, way to start a war.
dbdatvic chapter 61 . 5/22/2011
Having just finished rereading Chapter 61, I've suddenly realized that Atlantis wasn't _erased_ from Time.

Rather ... it's HIDING, outside of Time. And at this point, we have no clue from what, or when it might return.

(Oh, and the small furry humanoid with a spear? Almost has to be a Little Fuzzy.)

-Dave
SciFi43 chapter 61 . 5/6/2011
Why doesn't Albus just remove all the Riddle bones from the Little Hangleton cemetary? It would prevent the way he most fears, wouldn't it?
nohat chapter 61 . 4/29/2011
First let me say that this is the best fanfiction I have read. In fact it was what interested me in fanfiction to begin with. It's 2nd on my reading recommendation list. Probably my favorite quality is Harry's willingness to take the fantastic tools of the magical world to their full potential. The best example of this is probably using the time-turner to factor large numbers. The result: "DON'T MESS WITH TIME" is wonderfully terrifying and mysterious. It also has the advantage of explaining why Harry doesn't experiment more with time-turners. Still I think you've got a flaw in your time travel system (you've probably realized this, but I thought I would mention it... maybe you have an explanation).

There was another pause, and then Madam Bones's voice said, "I have information which I learned four hours into the future, Albus. Do you still want it?"

Albus paused -

(weighing, Minerva knew, the possibility that he might want to go back more than two hours from this instant; for you couldn't send information further back in time than six hours, not through any chain of Time-Turners)

Madam Bones has already conveyed information to Albus. The information that she got a message from the future. Any causal relationship between one person travelling from the future and another to the past would be information travelling through time, even if the channel was noisy enough to make it difficult to decipher what that information was. Since causal effects tend to propagate speedily (through the chaos of complex systems if not more directly), I doubt time-turners would function much at all.
Veveleyo chapter 61 . 4/10/2011
This is my favourite chapter.

Interesting how without realising it, Dumbledore et all concluded exactly what Quirrel seems to have intended them to conclude from the failsafe vial: that the method of escape was via animagus potion. They suspect another hinted message but it doesn't exist. They were already fooled.
ARMH chapter 61 . 2/27/2011
Another terrific chapter. I'm glad Harry gets off the hook but I have to admit that I am a bit sad that he doesnt get credit for all of his hard work.
hhg chapter 61 . 1/28/2011
Nice!
Alex Mennen chapter 61 . 12/25/2010
Interesting that signals can only go back 6 hours a day on a human-recognizable scale, but all sorts of information can flow back farther than that just so long as it is not readable by humans. I'd expect Harry to realize that this is essentially proof of the simulation hypothesis.
A Fan chapter 61 . 12/3/2010
I suppose I can forgive Mr. Potter for that Azkaban gig as long as McGonagall does, but if he EVER tries ANYTHING like that again I swear I am going to kill him. I'll find a way.
Janneia chapter 61 . 12/2/2010
Hmm... it would be rather interesting to see Voldemort and Harry go at it in a nuclear war, huh? Awesome writing as always!
madpick chapter 61 . 12/2/2010
"we may at least rely on the conclusion that it was not Harry Potter."

What? when? how?, did they reach that "conclusion"?

taking a step back from this chapter to "blur" the image a little makes it completely obvious that is was harry, it's by far the simplest explanation (no, it was voldemort that used a rocket because he is trying to send a message as a retort to something harry did in a game at school, really?)

Aren't these guys supposed to be smarter then this?
LauralHill chapter 61 . 11/29/2010
The proposed timeline by Math and Chaos here: photos/herbaliser/5218671393/
E.A.V chapter 61 . 11/29/2010
Holy Guacamole, Batman!
Final-Fan chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
You have said (tvtropes sez), "It is a general law of MoR that no one is ever holding the Idiot Ball." But it occurs to me that Amelia's report of Weasley's report indicates that SOMEONE is gripping the Idiot Ball pretty hard. Do you care enough about random review(er)s to comment on or rebut this?
prancelot chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
Dumbledore has fallen right into Quirrell's trap.

Voldemort and Bellatrix are just red herrings. Quirrell staged the Azkaban gambit to convince Dumbledore that Voldemort had returned, and to undermine Harry's faith in the established order. Now Dumbledore will isolate and further alienate Harry in his misguided attempts to protect, while simultaneously pushing Harry as the prophecied saviour behind whom everyone should rally in the face of an unspeakable threat. Harry will end up elevated to leadership by Dumbledore himself, but radicalized and embittered to the point that he adopts Quirrell's outlook. Whether or not Voldemort ever returns in fact, Quirrell's ultimate dreams of a united Britain under a strong dictator are closer to coming true.
Difdi chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
a special kind of science called opposite reaction, so the plan

is to develop a jinx which will prevent that science from

working around Azkaban."

Oh dear. The Wizarding World is all but made of the Law of Unintended Consequences, and this one promises to be a doozy. Opposite reaction, after all, is how you describe part of the mechanism by which human muscles and bones interact. Or how one walks across a room by virtue of one's feet pushing against the floor. Cast a charm that negates the science of opposite reaction, and you get rid of both friction and many types of levers in one fell swoop.
dinosaurusgede chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
Horay foR New Chapter! \()/

Wow. good they didn't figure it's Harry.

Too bad Harry first year will end, and so is Prof Quirell.
Kutta chapter 61 . 11/28/2010
Great chapter
Remoara chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
Fridgelogic: why isn't the order of the phoenix DESTROYING all the bones of Voldemort's ancestors as quickly and surreptitiously as possible?

I mean, it wouldn't guarantee anything by any means, but it's a relatively small investment.
Heidinanookie chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
It was most interesting to see Minderva and Severus in Order-mode, executing well-practised and battle-tested sequences of movements. Cool.

I also wouldn't have expected Severus to take Harry-polyjuice so readily. Does he really thing Quirrell won't know the difference?

Anyway, what just happened? I don't get a word of it. The whole stuff with the time-turners and Azkaban's own time zone and everything...

heidi
Pathatlon chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
*Drools* this is too interessting! What is going to happen now?
bluewillow chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
I have to admit that I was Quite Impressed with Snape managing to stun Quirrell. Not so bad for the Head of Slytherin House, eh? Snape with a few tricks up his sleeve?
loserthree chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
We have been given so much about which to speculate.

Chapter 60

The lighting is significant because it represents what Quirrell is trying to do: he is casting a complicated situation in a simplistic light.

Quirrell would like to force HPEV to choose between being cold and being dark. It presents problems as though those are the only two possibilities. And since HPEV does not want to be dark and has already demonstrated that he is willing to be cold, it is believable that Quirrell might think this could work.

It sure as #$&* seems to be worth a try.

Chapter 61

Voldemort seduced Quirrell by promising him his heart's desire: to return to Hogwarts to teach Battle Magic and to be remembered as one of the greatest teachers of Battle Magic Hogwarts ever had. It looks like he's delivering and who knows if the deal is not all Quirrell hoped it would be.

How much is Quirrell, how much is Voldemort? I don't think we've been given enough (any?) clues in the text that would allow us to make an educated guess.

Alternately, there is an interesting suggestion from Him-Mione the Unregistered, about 7 pages of reviews back from this one, that the sense of doom is the feeling of life being drawn from HPEV into Voldemort. The No Touchie rule between the two might be interpreted to make this less likely, or it might be a result of this in some way. Were that the case, though, I would have expected a rule or two indicating that that is how such vampirism works.

(61, still)

I could swear that there was somewhere earlier in this story were Quirrell obtained a bit of HPEV's blood in an non-noteworthy fashion. Searching the text for 'blood' is not especially useful, though, so I haven't found it.

The point is, though, that there's no reason Voldemort should not be pursuing all reasonably feasible paths to a full restoration of his power at the same time.

Except the Philosopher's Stone, of course, because that's too damn obvious and it's not the sort of thing someone who would write the Evil Overlord's List would do.

non-speculation stuff

It's great to see how smart Snape is and how much Dumbledore depends on him.

Snape's neutral faces, which McGonagall noticed, to let the reader know when he was lying were kind of disappointing. He was a cruel, bitter man who abused children in order to cope with abuse he received as a child. He stalked through hallways like an assassin, which is exactly how an assassin _wouldn't._ He was greasy and ill-kept when hygiene and appearance are the hallmarks of contentiousness and contentiousness is power.

But I was still hoping that it was an act, part of a long con to make sure that everyone who knew better than to buy the act underestimated him. Anyone who bought the act as an adult would be considered insignificant, since they'd have to be fools.

But lying poorly in front of McGonagall and Dumbledore means that the act is a cover for nothing more than Snape's feelings of inferiority. I had hoped for a better (if minor) villain in him.

back to speculation

Draco and HPEV will both pursue Hermione's affections and almost have a falling out over it, in the long run. Far from flattered by the contest, Hermione will object to being objectified and will instead respond receptively to Neville's more reasonable and conventional courtship.

*_*_*_*_*

While getting no actual screen time, Luna successfully courts Draco following her epically oh-thanks,-now-everyone-is-uncomfortable icebreaker, "So, are you going to do it now? How about now?"

*_*_*_*_*

In the end he is the excessively elderly man's only remaining true friend and, therefore, the only one to honor the old fool's wishes and take him off life support, despite the near-ubiquity of functional immortality when the time comes.

And so, Snape kills Dumbledore.
tiehunterog chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
This story so far has been brilliant. There's finally a character that I can truly connect with in the HP universe, even if it's not canon. This story is better than the original by many orders of magnitude. There's been just one problem so far. Wouldn't Dumbledore getting Harry before McGonagall's patronus contacting him have caused a paradox? Did none of them think of this as why Dumbledore could not get Harry when he went back in time?
Alex chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
I've been reading since about chapter 25 and am a bad bad anonymous who hasn't actually reviewed before and, well, you thoroughly deserve to have had me actually put finger to keyboard sooner than this.

I'm currently working on my third-year project at university. It is all large and scary and stressful. And I've been using MoR as a bribe: cut off this head of the hydra, read one chapter. It is working reasonably well, and new chapters are definitely currently one of the highlights of my week. So... thank you. :)

(There are places where - in the ordinary course of things - I'd be inclined to "Brit-pick". But, you know what, I am so delighted to be reading something in which Science! and Method! and Logic! and Rationality! are in the forefront and well-expressed and -explained that my general engagement with the story is high enough that *it doesn't jolt me out of enjoying reading*. Well done that author. :) )
Debate4life chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
Good chapter! I can wait until Sunday for the next few chapters while imagining how Harry is going to get out of this one. A month long hiatus though...I will very much miss this story. It is totally one of my best stress relievers, and with finals coming up, I know I will miss it. Several people in my dorm (at the University of Alaska Fairbanks...talk about a ways away, I looked up the college you talked about in your challenge.) all meet as soon as a new chapter comes out and read it together. It's totally become my floor's bonding activity, everyone really enjoys it. I know I won't be the only one missing the pretty much weekly updates.

Fair winds and following seas,

Debate4life
phoebe turner chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
i loved it!
Paraclete chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
Enormously fun as always, Less Wrong. This arc is a lot more fun than the Ender's Game stuff, which I thought was a little.. "cheesy"? Battle tactics are neat, but not exactly new. The Azkaban stuff is all over the place and covers all sorts of interesting topics, in contrast. Has anyone taken a shot at the diagrams for this? I admit to not being entirely sure of what's going on here myself.

Also kinda disappointed that Mr. Weasley gets shafted here. True, he was never especially competent with Muggle tech in canon, but somebody is doing something wrong, whether it's him or Bones, if they're talking about "rockers" and Dumbledore has to consult with Snape.

I'm also interested in finding out exactly how much of Dumbledore's thought process rings true. Other reviews pointed out that Quirrell does have the resources to pull off those plans now, whether or not we saw him talking about them in previous chapters. Is Quirrell actually trying to carry out the ritual, and if not, why did he break Bellatrix out?
Dragon Man 180 chapter 61 . 11/27/2010
When McGonagall sums up all of Harry's mischievous talent and assets... I actually shuddered in fear for a moment because it just hit home how potent he is right now.
Polario chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Just registered to add my voice to the many who are really enjoying this story. But I have to differ with all those clamoring for faster updates. Don't do it! Update at a sustainable rate.

Your pace is already really fast. Don't burn yourself out. It's like crunch time at a software shop - it works for a few weeks, after that, quality suffers and it wasn't worth it. Also it's no fun.
Laqueue chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
We don't have any reason to think that Sirius is not innocent, actually. There are two known departures from canon there:

1. Peter Pettigrew was either never hiding with the Weasleys or managed to get away before his examination. The story of Bill Weasley's madness as retold to us isn't completely inconsistent with Peter being discovered and confunding Bill to make his escape, but I think it's more likely that he was never there, because:

2. Sirius is almost certainly not imprisoned in his named cell in Azkaban. We know the person there is endlessly repeating "I'm not Sirius." It's pretty unlikely that Sirius himself would actually have maintained that as a litany for eleven years. Whoever *is* in there is on familiar terms with Sirius and can't get him out of his thoughts. Therefore this person is almost certainly Peter Pettigrew.

Also, we know that the Marauder's Map is "broken" (Chapter 25). There's an intermittent failure and a persistent one. We can assume that the map is actually telling the truth and that both of these are story-relevant. The most likely intermittent failure is that "Lord Voldemort" or "Tom Riddle" keeps showing up (when he possesses Quirrell) and then disappearing (Quirrell returns to zombie mode). The persistent failure is probably a name they're sure can't be actually in the castle; I guess that could be Rita Skeeter, but I'd put much better odds on Sirius Black.
Pentecost chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
It is concievable that Quirrelmort had another servant follow behind them and lay the animagus potion, that I swear that you didn't mention at all during the original timeline, therefore it must mean that someone else placed it there, perhaps for the exact reason that Dumbledor and Snape have conjectured. Regardless, this is a bit of a mind bender. Wonderful job.
w chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Fells a bit like a filler, after all the well-done action sequences in Azkaban. It might be quite difficult to make an action involving many characters good, since it's difficult to keep the characters real, which is why a lot of crossovers suck.

Snape rocks (and so does the rocker). Especially since he does remember he can't tell them outfront he was there at the Lestrange episode. The D's quote on folly is beautiful, so is Snape's Polyjuice one. Minerva screaming feels a bit over the top. Nutcases rock too. Too many people drawl, I think.

It'd be very interesting when Bones discusses ways to prevent this happening in the future to state something about how fruitless it is to prevent what already happened.
Hedelex chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
I had trouble following the time leaps in this chapter. I love your work, thank you!
Kalisko chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
This story is absolutely amazing. I'm amazed you can keep track of it all! I really enjoy your technique, where one phrase that add a world of consequences to the story, is casually put in.

Keep up the good work, this is awesome.
xXxMartelxXx chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Oh, question, question! I probably missed this, but why do people call her Bellatrix Black rather than Bellatrix Lestrange?
Luiz4200 chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Voldemort and rockets? Talk about preparing for trouble and making it double.
yamiishot chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Oh dear, just what is going to end up happening to this world I wonder.
NougatEvolution chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
This was brilliant. Loved Madam Bones's intention to make that special science quit working around Azkaban. Appreciated the further explanation of Time Turner dynamics and Azkaban security.
Anonymous chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
After reading 60-plus chapters of your story, I decided I'd better leave SOME feedback. So, here it is:

I like your Harry, your Draco, and your Minerva. And I LOVE your Quirrel. Seriously. He's my favorite character. I LOVE how Harry idolizes him, especially at the beginning. I think Amelia's opinion on Dumbledore these last few chapters was great and REALLY went with Dumbledore's personality.

I also like the humor. And how you dig deeper into, what, Wizarding culture and Muggle culture and how they interact and whatever, than the books seemed to. And into how magic works. If Harry continues his experiments on magic, I bet that'd be pretty interesting.

I was completely baffled by Lucius and Harry's conversation at first reading (still am, mostly); and I confess (anonymously, of course) that I haven't gotten ANY of the big glaring hints you've said are all over the story. I might if I reread it again, maybe.
CuriosityKilledKat chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
As always, an enthralling world. Thank you for putting a smile on my face today :)
J-Kid chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Ooooh. Aaaah.

This is lovely! Thank-you for the new chapter. I'm still confused about the whole time-turner aspect of the prison break and Dumbledore, though. I'll have to reread it later I suppose...unless you could (pretty please) offer us a breakdown after the arc is over?

Also, I'm curious as to how many people have actually been able to respond to the Channah challenge so far according to your reports. It rather reminds me of something "Improve Everywhere" might try. :-) (Google it if you don't know what I mean.)
ellesra chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
This is a genius story, but I do think you have changed a great lot of canon, and that disturbes me slightly. Sirius isn't innocent, (or is he?) Bellatrix IS, Quirrel has some motive that is unknown, and does not seem to have Voldemort at the back of his head.

It's so confusing. D:
Kylani chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Okay, I'm thoroughly enthralled by your twisty, nearly-incomprehensible-but-just-comprehensible-enough logic, and I like your writing and the morality and everything behind this, but GAH, where is Sirius? You can't just leave him out entirely, he has to appear, WHERE IS HE, and why did you add the testing-for-and-destroying-animagus-forms bit? I'm confused by all the betrayals to canon because they currently seem purely arbitrary and kind of irritating. AU is all well and good, but when all that seems familiar is the names, and the history's all jumbled... Well.

Your writing is fantastic, I love the SCIENCE (oh my god, the science is fantastically good fun), and I love this STORY (I will defend it to the death if randomly required to do so), but PLEASE, for the love of all that is good, either update faster (though you're not bad with that) or explain your reasoning.

Please?
AngelForm chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Well my good sir, if your intention is to utterly shatter my brain you have coming very close.

Never thought I would see McGonagall as a POV character.
lipasnape chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Wonderful. Confusion reigns. Rocker science for me and Arthur Weasley.

I love it.

July 2000 Goblet of Fire - 190637 words

June 2003 Order of the Phoenix - 257045 words

July 2005 Half-Blood Prince - 168923 words

July 2007 Deathly Hallows - 204796 words

Official Word Count Provided by Scholastic Inc (except DH).

February 2010 Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality Words: 343,479 -

Rationality win ever time YREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

gonig a ways for a week hop to have a lot to read when i get back I want to print the PDF of this so my famile can read in the car But wooo to much to print have you seen how meny pages there are WOOO

This was the best Chapter YET i love it the most even if harry was not in it love all the talking planing and thiknig

Keep up the good work you do need paying for this

can you post a prview to the book you are righting so we not what to buy as i dont get what you are gonig sell
Dain chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
I had some thoughts about Dumbledore's resurrection-plot theory:

Why does he assume that Voldemort or his servant still has to get Harry's blood? He seems to automatically dismiss the possibility that it was already acquired before the Azkaban-breakout. Since the prison is a much more risky operation compared to stealing the blood of an inexperienced schoolboy, I'd assume that Azkaban would have been done last, not first.

It's not as if Dumbledore had Harry under constant surveillance over the school year. Someone could have easily stolen some blood during the winter holidays in secret.

Or does the blood of the enemy have to be magically fresh, no statis charms or whatever allowed?
Captain Death chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Exceedingly cleverly done.

Momentum conservation, and the second and third laws, really are the same thing. There are a variety of amusing consequences of neutralizing Newton's laws, alternatives including Nothing can move. Everything in the affected region falls apart at the nuclear and atomic level. All of the atoms in the region keep moving in straight liens until they leave the region, which means they are mostly moving at 700 miles per hour give or take in random directions (heat is motion) and things in the affected region are perhaps all seen to expand through each other.

Azkaban would be better off procuring conventional antiaircraft artillery, assuming that they can find someone who has been paying attention to the non-magical world enough.

And for those of you looking for an alternative topic for fan fiction, now way way out of copyright, Captain Death is actually

Kapitan Mors

Skypirat Der Stratosphaer

und sein unlenkbares Luftschiff

Captain Death

Sky Pirate of the Stratosphere

And his incomparable airship

It was a Zeppelin. Its sister ship had interplanetary range. It was a series novel, like Star Trek or Perry Rhodan or Tom Swift...but "interplanetary" is actually pretty decent for a series that ceased publication before World War One.
impeacheuan3122 chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
"It's called a rocker because you'd have to be off your rocker to use one." Love to you, sir.
anon chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Stopping conservation of momentum?

What would happen if you were in the air with a ball in your hand and "threw" the ball without the ball actually leaving your hand (basically shaking your hand). Would your center of mass stay in the same position? What if you let go of the ball at the end of your swing? Do you stay completely at rest relative to the prison? Or does the ball?

Nah. Safe to say the wizards will fail to make a ward of this type.
koipen chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Ahhahaa! Deliciously hilarious chapter again. I think this goes atleast to the same level in complexity as the war of three armies...

It seems that the ending sequence has begun (If I am right). Voldemort is getting to collecting Bellatrix and Harry together, meaning we have resurrected Voldemort. Ofcourse, there are still the horcruxes and I have yet no idea how you'll handle those...

By the way, 400 reviews and this passes Nightmares of the Futures past in reviews.
Eli Courtwright chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
"Weasley says that rockers use a special kind of science called opposite reaction, so the plan is to develop a jinx which will prevent that science from working around Azkaban."

A few people have already commented on the absurdity and possible disaster of trying to prevent Newton's Third Law of motion from functioning.

However, can someone more knowledgeable (perhaps the author) comment on whether this would actually stop rockets from working even if they did somehow manage it? My understanding is that rockets work primarily through the principle of conservation of momentum. The misunderstanding that it's Newton's Third Law is what led the New York Times to print their famous criticism in 1920:

"That Professor Goddard, with his 'chair' in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution, does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react - to say that would be absurd. Of course he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."

I was taught in my introductory physics class in college propelling rocket fuel backwards creates forward momentum due to the fact that momentum is conserved (though my wording is probably all wrong). It's amusing enough (and very canon-compliant) that the Ministry gets a lot of details about Muggle science wrong, but it would be interesting if they developed a complex, physics-defying ward that didn't even break the correct fundamental law of the universe.

Regardless, excellent chapter as always, I'll be checking every 5 minutes until we get chapters 62 and 63.
braindoll chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Repeal one of Newton's laws? My initial thought was like another reviewer's: they're totally screwed.

But remember, they can make broomsticks go "by Aristotelian physics", so apparently the world does not fall apart completely without Newton. Not all forces would become one-sided, just the ones used for motion; and not the floor-shoe forces used for walking*.

In that case, the physics needed for architecture and biology would be mostly unaffected. The main exceptions would be swimmers and fliers. Birds and fish don't tend to hang around Azkaban anyway, so the big change would be... bacteria. Presuming your healthy intestinal flora could survive a finite period with reduced motility, that would leave attacking bacteria at a great disadvantage.

But wizards already have charms against disease. So all in all, I think they could actually get away with doing this, and perhaps not even realize what a TOTALLY INSANE AND DANGEROUS idea it was.

*(Actually, these forces too could be one-sided, with the earth unaffected; the only result would be tiny perturbations in the earth's orbit based on the velocity differential of things when entering and leaving the zone. And antigravity magics such as broomsticks have probably been, unnoticed, perturbing the earth's orbit for centuries.)

...

As for all the speculation about how Harry is going to send a message back 6 hours, I suspect rather that we should be speculating about how he isn't going to do that. Options:

- somehow convince or fool Flitwick into a lie. Unlikely.

- Claim his time-turner was stolen. Promising.

- Claim he'd last used his time turner less than 24 hours ago, at the end of the last "open" period. I'm not sure how the wards and the 6-hour limit work, but if this is an option it is the simplest.

- Claim he'd been to another time zone to trick the wards. While this does open up speculation about what else he could have done to trick the wards, it doesn't quite reveal how useless the restraints they put on him are.

- Make up some story about how he'd gone back 6 hours but have some alibi which prevented him from giving/having given the message to Flitwick. Perhaps, anticipating this test, he could have already done something to set up this alibi. McGonagall should really have taken more precautions against this possibility.

- At worst, simply admit he'd found a way around the wards and tell a story about what he'd done with the extra hours.

- Invent a good reason for not obeying McGonagall's summons - like already being asleep?

- On the way to McGonagall's office, he was somehow given a message from 5 hours into the future (using another time-turner), thus preventing him from going more than 1 hour into the past.

- Somehow, Quirrel has gotten Flitwick entangled with Azkaban in the ensuing 6 hours, thus making him inaccessible to messages

Morbious20 chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Awesome chapter
sensoray chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
oooo so confuzzling, but terrific. albus has talked himself out of believing it was harry and made the vial a bigger thing than it actually is...maybe? anyways, i cant wait to see what happens next, and im hopeing that u will update later today since u usually update in pairs, but ahh, i just read the author note at the very top, and sunday ehh? alright, i can work with that XD. i absolutely love this story and i cant wait to see what u come up with after your one month hiatus!
ejhawman chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Switch to Dumbles, Severus and Minerva trying to figure out what's happening. Harry has been so surprising they are no longer willing to guess what he may not be capable of. They certainly can't be SURE of him anymore...

Albus has, of course, forgotten to mention to Minerva that he has given James' Invisibility Cloak to Harry. A key oversight, presumably canonical, or else Minerva would likely have demanded it for her safekeeping in the first book. Obviously, Albus intended Harry to get into mischief...

Some reviewers have recognized the "Eye of Vance" - alas, I don't. Is this a reference to Jack Vance? Don't know his work well enough. Or is it more obscure? I just have no idea.

Voldemort's three ways of recovery - sounds like the third way is the reason V is so much more functional in this world. If he knew of this method right off in 1981, a reasonable assumption, then he should have been looking for someone to leech since then, though you say "seduce", and most of the wizarding world would be hard to persuade to ally with HIM.

There is still the ritual from the fourth book. "Blood forcibly taken" presumably does not mean from a preexisting wound. And how fresh does it have to be? If it were a simple matter of taking some and Apparating away to Little Hangleton to complete the ritual, Quirrelmort will do so as soon as he can get up from his bed in St. Mungo's. But he may have deeper plans, and Bellatrix may be needed whole...

Agree with everyone else: Severus has the best line with "Shall I teach him to brew Polyjuice?..."

Arthur Weasley as the Ministry's greatest expert in Muggle devices - well, the greatest pureblood expert. One would think muggleborns would provide most of the magical world's expertise on all things mugglish, and keep them for getting too far out of date, but the Potterverse seems to be defined by this not happening. Thus the common theories of muggleborns being shut out of positions in magical society, emigrating, etc.

Minor historical point: I was under the impression the V-2 bombardment of London didn't begin until after Septermber 1944, after the beginning of the Hogwarts school year, so Tom Riddle would have missed it, unless he was getting London newspapers at school. But if he wasn't in contact with the Muggle world during school, how much attention would he pay to muggle affairs after graduating? There's really not much indication whether he would ignore it entirely or keep an eye on muggle affairs. But we readers know he Horcruxed the Pioneer plaque, so we KNOW he is relatively in touch with muggle advances. Albus and Severus have to grope toward this realization, not being so certain of his activities.

Animmagus detection at Azkaban - a key point. This argues that if Sirius is/was there, he realy is guilty in this world. Looking forward to your explanation of what happened that night.

Meanwhile, it seems Harry will be caught out, and asked to explain his Time-Turned activities. I don't think he can come up with an ironclad alibi, but you've proven a far deeper thinker than most everyone...
Leona chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Lol. Sorry, I'll stop laughing at you...eventually.
Rohan Bernett chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Marvellous work yet again. I loved the bit about the Aurors who investigate cases involving Time-Turners going insane. My friends think they're going to go crazy when I start talking about time-travel, even though the Stable Time Loop mechanic used in the Harry Potter universe is very straightforward.
ultra dragon chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
So you decided to screw Sirius all over didn't you? poor thing... I do wonder why. and also, why did you made Minerva suddenly forget her question? it's no fun like this...
N3cr0 chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
I have to say, I'm deeply enjoying the fic. Your characterization is spot on save for cases where you've completely rewritten them (although they're awesome so it's alright).

In addition (even though it technically isn't supposed to be here), your writings on Less Wrong are amazing. I've only just started going through them and they're still pretty confusing at times, but I guess it's you mentioned in your A/N when you talked about your manuscript; too much of a good thing could lead to walls painted with brains _

In any case, congrats on a phenomenal story, and I look forward to new chapters here as well as new posts over at Less Wrong.

~N3cr0
Kay chapter 61 . 11/26/2010

Hahaha. Great chapter!
Arkh Cthuul chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
A truly fantastic chapter.

I am almost at a loss for words.
The Fictional Saloon chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Very good chapter - I really needed this kinda recap from the last ones! Poor, poor Minerva...and the few concluding sentences from Dumbledore were fantastic!
BSRK Aditya chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
You said that powerful wizardry could not be passed along in books.

But Dumbledore said that he read "books" on the possible avenues for voldemort to return. Mistake?
Apurv2009 chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
No harry chap. Too boring... The paln failed really. Lets how Harry does the impossible and about time Atlantis was mentioned.

Heh, if they think Muggle technology can't destroy magic then let them see a Hygrogen bomb. Lets test their magic in particle acclerators n sure it would be cracked...
badkidoh chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Another great chapter.
richard chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Man, I love your asides: "the muggle portion of Grindlewald's war" tells us more than anything else so far about the depths of wizardly egocentrism. I'm assuming, from the references to rocket bombardment, that we're talking about WW2 here, so - does it seem likely that the Japanese invaded Manchuria in 1937 as part of Grindlewald's war? Should we count WW1 and WW2 in Europe as essentially one war with a long cease-fire? Then when did Grindlewald start up his war? Brilliant.

...and yes, Snape obviously means nukes, so just how far does destructive magic go? And how far could it go, once you add Harry's knowledge of physics? Now my hair is standing up like wires.
s chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
awesome as fuck
Gogolu chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
I loved this chapter.
Play4ever chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Ye Gods but this story is sometimes hard to follow. :D
twistyguru chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
nice
roshnir chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Awesome stuff! Great to see Severus back and in wonderful form..

So far my only complaint is that both the main female characters (McGonnaghall/Granger) are not good slytherin and always have their heads muddled by discussions going on around them when things get too complicated. Hoping to see Bellatrix come up with some spectacular plotting when she recovers.. (Hopefully she'll snap out of her lovesick/self-sacrificing mood by then). Hoping to see more of Madam Bones too..
Math and Chaos2 chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
My ASCII diagrams fell prey to FFN's refusal to allow multiple spaces. Sorry about that.

I intended to show:

Harry's top timeline goes from beginning-of-time to 12PM.

Harry's middle timeline goes from 11AM to 4PM.

Harry's bottom timeline goes from 12PM forward.

Dumbledore's top timeline goes from beginning-of-time to 2:30PM.

Dumbledore's bottom timeline goes from 12:30PM forward.

Again, the numbers are arbitrary, but the relative spacing is pretty well established.
Math and Chaos chapter 61 . 11/26/2010
Okay. I've drawn some diagrams. (Your browser window must be at least this wide to read)

10AM 11AM 12PM 1PM 2PM 3PM 4PM 5PM 6PM 7PM 8PM 9PM

Harry's timelines:

Up to chapter 51 - *

Chapter 51-60 * - - - - *

Chapter 61 forward * - - - - - - - -

And Dumbledore's:

Up to chapter 60 - - - - *

Chapter 61 forward * - - - - - - - -

I've assumed that Harry and Quirrel sit down for lunch at 12PM. Changing this shifts the entire pair of graphs, but doesn't mess with relative times.

We know that Harry and Quirrel went back one hour originally.

We know that Harry and Quirrel were, as of the end of chapter 60, planning to go back four hours so as to eat lunch. That is... hide in a bathroom and fight Snape, respectively. It's not established yet that they actually do this, but it's the simplest explanation for why they're seen by Snape/McGonagall/Dumbledore at that point in time.

Going back three hours would allow Dumbledore to intercept Harry on Harry's top timeline, causing a paradox. So Dumbledore goes back only two hours. That implies Dumbledore arrives in Diagon Alley from Azkaban sometime between 2 and 3 hours after Harry sits down for lunch.

At first I thought that if Harry could get a message to himself on the Chapter 51-60 timeline at 4PM, he could carry it backward with him when he goes back to Mary's place and deliver it to Flitwick three hours later.

But then I realized that this would mean information had been sent from 9PM to 12PM, which seems pretty clearly not-allowed (given how careful Bones and Dumbledore are being about what they learn).

Depending on how exactly "information" is defined (can you know that a message exists, so long as you don't know the details? Bones' warning to Dumbledore - "I have information which I learned four hours into the future, Albus. Do you still want it?" - suggests this is the case), this might work:

1) Harry-9PM steals Dumbledore's time-turner (probably a bad idea) and goes back to 5PM.

2) Harry-9PM uses his own time-turner to go back to 4PM.

3) Harry-9PM transmits the message to HarryQuirrel-endofChapter60 in such a way that Harry-endofChapter60 doesn't learn the contents. (A Patronus instructed to speak to Quirrel-endofChapter60 only might work).

5) HarryQuirrel-endofChapter60 go back to 3PM.

6) Quirrel-endofChapter60 transmits the message to Harry-Chapter61,3PM (by means of whispering to a Patronus cast by Harry-endofChapter60, perhaps).

7) Quirrel-endofChapter60 obliviates himself (assuming that's possible).

8) HarryQuirrel-endofChapter60 go back the rest of the way to 12PM.

If Harry's Patronus can interact with the physical world (that is, write, or carry a written message), then the need for self-obliviation goes away.

If apparating into and out of Hogwarts were possible, Quirrel could be the one to carry the (written and sealed) messages, similarly avoiding the need for self-obliviation.

(Is there a Teleport Object spell? Can't remember one from the original series, but it seems like it'd be pretty useful in this situation.)

And of course, if Harry secures the cooperation of another wizard who owns a time-turner, the problem becomes trivial.
Artistic Verisimilitude chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
I enjoy this particular example of fanfiction and the intellectual diversion it provides. However, I will refrain from offering more thorough critique until I have fully comprehended the complexities of the most recent offering.

*much later*

Brain broke.

Story good.

Fun!

What Harry do next?
firedraygon chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Oh man, the whole time conundrum is twisting my brain. I do hope someone draws a diagram of the events! Love how you bypassed the explanation using Minerva though. Great chapter. Please write more soon!

~fd97
David K chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
You once said that you had the desire to write something more complicated than Death Note. Have you decided to outdo yourself and shoot for "Primer"?
Violet Shadows chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Arg, can't wait for chapters 62 and 63.
jjayjjayded chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
damn. had to SLOWLY read that

you really do an excellent job of providing crazy ridiculous reasons for events that the reader already knows... it's very well done. i can't think of many people who do it as well as you do. congrats, i can't wait to see how harry wiggles out of this one
ilikebluepineapples chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Still laughing at you.
Paperblank chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Oh God.. I've just read the 61 chapters between yesterday and today and then - just a glance at your profile - I discovered your review semi-revolution and *whimpers* you shamed me into writing how I've laughed sometimes (especially the first chapters), how hard I've tried to follow the rational thoughts of Harry, Hermione and even at a lesser extent Draco, how the plots twist beautifully and left me overwhelmingly wanting for more.

I rarely leave reviews, but maybe, considering what an avid reader I am, I should apply your review policy to myself so that my favorite authors and their extraordinary fics receive their deserved acclaim and so the authors go on writing...

I'll wait impatiently for the next chapters and the continuation of your excellent story.

Cheers :)
Work Designer chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
I am surprised by the fact that Quirell was not suspected here. He was the one closest to Harry Potter, after all.

The comment from Snape about teaching brewing of polyjuice was awesome, totally in character!

Great, absolutely great update.
Paganimagus chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Ok. My brain is also going to Hawaii

It cant see how Harry is going to get around this.

I mean, I could see Harry escaping from Azkaban becuase of the law of dramatic inverse probability, where something ridiculously unlikely and dramatic is really likely to happen because its dramatic and ridiculous.

But here- it *feels* like the end of the road, when Harry is presumably exhausted adn weary. No way can any human continue Xanatos speed-chess successfully for that long. No way.. Unless...

Not unless Harry has ALREADY seen Flitwick in the present,anticipating that he'd have to prove time-turnerage in the future's past. But thats ridiculous. How could he know that it'd be Flitwick he is asked to meet?

Nay, I say.

This feels like the stray bullet that a character obligatorily gets AFTER the great escape.

Great chapter anywho :D

I loved the rockers and rockets conversation.

And the insane time-turner detectives :P

AND the comments about Harry's arsenal for mischief making!

Teach him polyjuice potion next year indeed :D

I liked that you injected the lightness back into this chapter after the dark of Azkaban.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Nice one with the "rocker" bit.

Thanks for the update.
The Monster chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Tom Reagan

"Amelia Bones says that Arthur Weasley knows the most about muggle artifacts of all wizards, and yet Snape knows far more than him simply because he was brought up in a muggle area; surely Snape is not the only reasonable bright wizard to have ever been brought up in a muggle area? It just doesn't make sense to me, that in your world no wizard but Snape knows what a rocket is."

No, in his world Amelia Bones, being a government bureaucrat, THINKS that the Officially Designated Expert On Muggle Things knows the most. In HER worldview, Snape is a lowly secondary schoolteacher. Why would she even know who he is? She only tolerates Dumbledore because of his NON-Hogwarts titles.

Dumbledore, however, immediately asked Snape what Amelia was going on about, because HE knows that Snape has better understanding of muggles, so HE clearly understands that someone raised in the muggle world would know more than the Official Muggle Expert. And even Dumbledore has given no indication that he thinks Snape is the ONLY wizard who knows what a rocket is. He just happened to be the person in the room best suited to answer the question.

Oh, the review part. This one's really fun, because we can see all sorts of reasoning errors on the part of the faculty. And I'm formulating some ideas on how Harry gets out of it. I have an idea how he might do it, but don't want to spoil it for everyone else.
obsidian-fox chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Excellent chapter! I really loved Albus's statement about a war fought with Muggle weapons. And now... Harry certainly cannot move back six hours, unless you have something very creative planned. I look forward to discovering what happens.
PL chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
It's easy to forget that the author of this fic, 'Less Wrong,' is a fairly well known figure, thanks to a blog of the same name. But reading this chapter, I kept thinking to myself "Goddamn. What a freaking great story." and "Oh snap. I didn't expect this." I feel like a buffoon, an imbecile, an ignorant fanboy of the highest order, when I can say nothing but 'OMG this the best story ever!1!.' But that's where I'm at. I really want to know what happens next.

I think it goes without saying that Eliezer is smart. We all know that. But the thing is, he can also tell a good story. We all read the Harry Potter series and thought 'Wow. What an intricate plot.' But this story makes the original canon seem unoriginal and obvious by comparison. Truly, there aren't enough good things I can say about this work. I'm pausing now, looking for some reason that I'm being overly generous...

No; the fact remains: This is a great story (where I define 'great' as 'compelling, engaging, and one of the most entertaining things I've read in years'). Golf clap to you, 'Less Wrong.' Golf clap indeed.

OK, now for something akin to real feedback:

LW,

In the opening to this chapter, I liked the way you introduced the fact that Minverva and Severus were the two characters involved, on the basic level of technical writing. For an instant, I thought to myself 'Hmm, who is she with?'. But you revealed that in a way that didn't sound dorky/verbose. Then again, I'm probably not the best person to give you objective criticism right now, because I'm such a fan as a reader.

I wish you'd included illustrations; diagrams of the possible scenarios time-turning could take (It may not be allowed on to insert illustrations. If you could coordinate with the guys doing the pdf and epub versions of the book to include diagrams, that would be a nice touch).

You're doing a good job integrating elements from the canon (horcruxes, the deathly hallows, the resurrection spell from book 4, etc...) into the story in a natural sounding way. Plus, the reader gets the benefit of thinking 'hey! I know what he's talking about!,' which leads to more full engagement.
Selquist chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
I'll just mention two brief things I really liked.

1) The lampshading of Harry's awesomeness.

2) The rocker and the science of opposite reaction. Greatest Facepalm EVER.

Other than that, I really liked this chapter.

Thank you, have fun writing.
New Fan chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
This is amazing. I have read the whole thing twice, and enjoyed just about every bit of it.
William H. Stoddard chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
For what we have just received I am truly thankful.

Now maybe in a few more readings I'll actually begin to iunderstand/i it. I feel like a human dealing with a Pak protector just at the moment.
CrystalC chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Wow, Harry's in trouble now, isn't he? I suppose he'd have to find some way of breaking yet another Law of Wizardry. Like the six hour time-limit law. They never did give a more exact timing other than "Six Hours" did they? It wasn't six hours, 12 min, six seconds, it's a straight six hours? That's probably a limit placed by man, not nature, then. Unless it's limited by 1/4 of the rotation of the Earth. . Oh well. Poor Harry.
wisecurledqueen chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Woah. This was... the hints and pieces of this just fall together in such an awesome way, and I have no doubt that the ending of this arc will be confusing and hilarious, and utterly brilliant. Love this~

Thanks!

-curledruler
Sarshi chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Thank you for mentioning my story both in the chapter and on your profile page! It makes me so happy :D

Now, onto the chapter.

I love it. It's so complicated, I'll go re-read it soon. Or maybe not so soon. It's an Ungodly Hour of the Morning already, which means resting might be in order.

The problem with you is that I immediately start feeling paranoid and start imagining all sorts of scenarios. So far I have discarded those in which Snape was Quirrell/Harry polyjuiced, since it would require Snape not knowing he was at a meeting he never attended, which would be too risky. Harry should also be Harry for the potion to work - but where's Quirrell?

Hmmm.

*has spent the last 10 minutes trying to find where on earth the time he'd gone to lunch was written down and couldn't find it*

...

new theory: Harry takes the message a part of the way, quirrell takes it another part of the way. And somebody else needs to take it yet another part of the way?... .

Minerva and her "without doing anything else along the way" is brilliant )) Does she really think that will determine him to really not do anything else on the way?

...Harry didn't go back in time. Quirrell did. He's the Harry that was kidnapped, just add polyjuice... No, Harry's hair. Unless it turns into genuine, polyjuice-able Harry hair while Quirrell's using the potion.

Flitwick is obliviated and made to think he got the message from Harry. He does, but he gets it much later.

...Nah. too banal. I'm trying to keep it outrageous here.

*goes back to pondering*

*drops fast asleep*
Furcas chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Only slightly worse? Doesn't look like Snape knows about nuclear weapons.
Jon-Berry chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
An excellent chapter, I must thank you for your clever use of temporal mechanics. I almost had to break out my copy of Continnum to keep track of relative events and what happened is whose 'yet' and 'was'.

I look forward to more!
Sketch Sepahi chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Dear Yodkowsky,

I just signed up to and aside from a previous practice review of another fanfiction I enjoy, this is my first review. I am specifically signing up and reviewing this due to your call for participants in making your MOR the most reviewed fiction on this site (it definitely deserves it.) Also because I'm drunk at the moment but that only testifies to my core sincerity and lack of inhibitions.

I would be lying if I said your authorship has changed my life. However, to your credit I am convinced that's a matter of chronology rather than quality. I considered myself a rationalist (though I don't like the word due to philosophical connotations to Platonism) long before my encounter with your fiction. Though, and despite my inherent distrust of counterfactuals, I think if I had read it at a younger age it would have been significant to me.

There are far too many mentionable examples as to what I like about your fiction. But to keep it relevant to this review, I like the way you make Quirrell question democracy. It casts into doubt my belief of the difference this very comment makes. I still happen to disagree with Quirrell but his (yours) points of critique are relevant as a challenge to convictions. If I didn't think this comment would make an accumulative difference, I wouldn't have made it.

Your fiction has made me seriously consider two things; making a drawing so I can be featured as a cameo in your fiction, and - possibly some time in your future - translating your fiction to Faroese, since I think it is that awesome. My recommendation would be to hold your breath for the first but not the second.

Please don't ever stop

Heini
The French Dark Lord chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Sweet!
Sangemaru chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Fucking cliffies, how do they work?
Eclipse1234 chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
One month hiatus? Noooooooooooo...It'll be like an entire month without ice cream...perish the thought
SexySnape99 chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
"Headmaster, I think we must draw diagrams for this."

"I agree, Severus."

I loved this! I laughed at every couple lines!
AspergianStoryteller chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Uh, so tricky. You're amazing. Oh man, Harry both intetntionally and not brings choas in his wake doesn't he? I'm sure Hogwarts more more peaceful before his arrival. Poor teachers.
him-mione chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
" Voldemort's final avenue is to seduce a victim and drain the life from them over a long period"

is this the cause of the sense of Doom Harry feels whenever particularly close to Quirrell? Perhaps Voldemort has been rebuilding his strength slowly for some time, through Harry, and now plans to use the 'flesh of a servant' spell. I cannot, at the moment, recall if Quirrell has ever taken Harry's blood before, but I imagine it would be rather easy to invent an excuse...

another magnificent chapter-I loved Minerva's reactions through the office meeting
Tom Reagan chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Awesome chapter, I loved the really rather intense action and resulting conversation, and the Primer-esq diagram attempts by Snape and Dumbledore made me smile. I also very much liked the way, through what appeared to me to be an almost logical argument, to come to completely the wrong conclusion (at least, I think it's the wrong conclusion...) If so, I look forward to the Order of the Phoenix and the Ministry fighting a war without an enemy. (And I'd like to second another reviewer's request for a breakdown of the conversation, showing just where they went wrong).

One little thing that slightly annoyed me: Amelia Bones says that Arthur Weasley knows the most about muggle artifacts of all wizards, and yet Snape knows far more than him simply because he was brought up in a muggle area; surely Snape is not the only reasonable bright wizard to have ever been brought up in a muggle area? It just doesn't make sense to me, that in your world no wizard but Snape knows what a rocket is.

Apart from that though, another thoroughly excellent and highly enjoyable chapter. I'm really starting to dread the month wait now.
Owl344 chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
...

The only *possible* way I can see out of this is if Harry somehow...does something...involving the speed of light.

Forgive me, my physics is somewhat lacking.
JoshuaZ chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
So brilliant. Time travel is so headache inducing. And making Moody's eye into the "Eye of Vance" is a very nice touch since it reverses the anagram. Very clever. This chapter doesn't have much in the way of rationality, but it is wonderful story telling despite (because of?) that.
Rakaziel chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
This is genius! Your whole story is, but this chapter is one of those that shine the brightest!

This piece alone is something less imaginative autors would have turned into an entire novel of it's own.
KsandraMallan chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Favorite line of the chapter: "Should I teach him to brew Polyjuice, Headmaster? I ask only for the sake of completeness, in case you are not satisfied with the magnitude of your pet disaster." Oh -dear-, poor Snape.

And poor McGonagall, I really do feel for her, having to deal with Harry.

Also, had trouble finding the fan-fanfiction. Could you give a link to it, please?
solussword chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
The only people laughing at you are the people who haven't fully grasped that two more chapters are going up before your hiatus.
November 5th chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
... /ow/

And now my brain hurts.

If I could ask a favor, could you post in your author's notes what sort of logical fallacy (or other act of false reasoning) Dumbledore and Severus committed to arrive at their conclusion? It has been a while since I studied them last, but something tells me its not as simple as finding the one that fits.
Cain Raiser chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Ya know, its funny, I hardly understand all the things that happen in this story, but I continue to read it. Although, its even better when I can understand whats happened
threecankeepasecret chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Oh my gosh, I'm hyperventilating a bit. How does Harry manage to worm him way out of things without even being there?
AoMythology chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
"It was a Muggle artifact called a rocker"

Sounds like Arthur Weasley and/or Amelia Bones is holding an Idiot Ball; and I always thought the mistakes Rowling had purebloods make when it came to the Muggle culture were exaggerated.

As you probably guessed, I disagree with the "rocker" part being included instead of "rocket".
Stygian Styx chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
I wonder if I should be worried that the discussion of time travel and paradoxes didn't confuse me at all. Great chapter!
109 chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
"Rockers."

Nice.

Looking forward to what happens after this one. Not even Harry can get around time, I don't think.
Raemon777 chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
I have to say that for the Order of the Phoenix to bypass Quirrel as a suspect DOES strain credibility. Especially since Dumbledore had already been suspicious of him.
Tiky3000 chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
The one thing that struck the most was when Severus said that Harry thought he was God. That chilled me.
Loonynamelass chapter 61 . 11/25/2010
Oh dear. When people start thinking at the same times, it gets even more complicated...