Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Grizzmon chapter 65 . 1/15
Of course, he could just be lying.
CSA chapter 65 . 7/11/2013
Whoa there, Bayesian version of Jack Chick. I was gagging on that ham-fisted tract you shoved down the audience's throat at the opening. You do that a little much for me to really enjoy this story.
L.E chapter 65 . 6/6/2013
Swell chapter!
Jillerbug chapter 65 . 3/18/2013
For someone who thinks he's a lot smarter than other people, you're pretty stupid and unwilling to learn, aren't you?
Guest chapter 65 . 11/2/2012
Who is the monster and who is the man?
LunaSakne chapter 65 . 10/15/2012
Cool! Complicated in ways I really appreciate. Love the Harry/Hermione "true love" situation.
voodooqueen126 chapter 65 . 8/2/2012
The discussion on why people resist the scientific method is so very true.
I am so utterly sick of post-modernism at my university.
Daniel chapter 65 . 4/21/2012
A very good fanfic - thanks for writing it!
yitiantulong chapter 65 . 4/11/2012
Such clever ways of following the plot line as Rowling laid out (roughly), and yet give all the twists and turns needed to make it convincing in the light of a smart and powerful Harry Potter who has a real Goal.

(Random thought: Since you mentioned Alzheimer's in a prior chapter- which I thought very, very, very sweet, and JUST the sort of thing Harry and Hermione would want to do with magical powers! I wondered though if Harry and Hermione see the more numerical utilitarian value in doing things that impact more pp and possibly more vulnerable groups? Say figure out a cheaper/easier-to-dispense way to vaccinate against diarrhea which kills well over a million children a year in places unable to deal with the issue like India and Africa and have not the resources to devote to research?)
3rd time's the charm chapter 65 . 2/2/2012
'"Casst Killing Cursse?" Harry hissed in incredulity. "At me? Again? Ssecond time? Nobody will believe Dark Lord could posssibly be that sstupid -"'

This never fails to crack me up. I guess we can't be too hard on canon Voldemort though, as he was suffering the aftereffects of Bahl's Stupefaction the entire series.
Lunacom chapter 65 . 1/13/2012
Are you another one of those people that thinks the prophecy was fulfilled when Voldie went after Harry as a baby.
AR chapter 65 . 9/22/2011
lies within lies...interesting..very interesting.

And he STILL doesn't learn. You know...I already know youve seen Death Note..I wonder if the conclusion to this story is not inspired by that as well..

Somehow..it would make a lot of sense..
Chris Robins chapter 65 . 9/13/2011
I find myself wanting to scream "No Harry! Don't do it! He's eeeevvvvviiiilllll!" But, logic is a foul beast and has little regard for morality. Quite a quandary poor Harry is in. Follow his own advice to Hermione or be free? Hard to choose.
madeyemarauder chapter 65 . 9/5/2011
Was it Alexander Pope (The Essay on Man) who said:

Oh, what a dreadful web we weave

when first we practise to deceive

?
Overlooked Supporting Cast chapter 65 . 9/4/2011
I'm breaking the rules again, partially to respond to the edits to chapter 76. It's not that it isn't incredibly obvious, within the context of the story so far, that it's a huge blatant lie told by Mr. Hat-and-Cloak, who is obviously evil enough to perform memory charms on small children. It's that within the greater context of fanfiction, this sort of stupendously awful plot twist is significantly more likely than good storytelling.

Seriously. Half the people reading your fic are just here to see where and how you screw up, and keep a running tally of everything they can label a trope. For many, the sport of fanfiction is watching from the peanut gallery as someone dumber than you try to tell a clever story, which is the sort of thing that can be quite novel when you aren't born a auto-didactic genius utterly surrounded by people dumber than you. When someone who has half a clue as to what they're doing writes fanfic, that only means the peanut gallery is -quicker- to react, since their primed responses have been building anticipation. I'm not immune to that. "There's a 90% chance a fic would do something that stupid and play it straight, but this is Eliezer, so... it still isn't 0. Or even as low as 1%. He did the Patronus 2.0 thing, after all." (which was awesome, by the way)

More important than all that nonsense, I realized I forgot to thank you in the earlier review. Please allow me to rectify that with this especially heartfelt statement of gratitude. Thank you. Your story has been a much valued diversion over the past few days, during which I have been sick, feverish, and generally awful. I reread a great deal of it, and I think I probably will do so again years from now, hopefully long after you've finished it. I'm still waiting on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Rationality 40k, after all.

One final note:

It's always the curse you don't see coming that hits you. I wonder when Draco will stop to think of the henchmen who _isn't_ showing obvious signs of doubt and asking uncomfortable questions?
Ryuken-Sogetsu chapter 65 . 7/3/2011
Tolkien review ZING!
Smith chapter 65 . 6/26/2011
Absolutely adore this fan-fic - educational as well as genuinely entertaining and tense in a believeable way. Just the fact that it has fanfiction of its own is a sure sign of just how good it is.

I love the characterisations, the Fourth-Wall blurrings with Quirrel talking about the "sixth-year Gryffindor" as other incidents. Quirrel himself is intriguing and the entire Azkaban arc held me on a knife edge.

Also support the rationalist message. Great work.

Release Chapter 73!
Nakedkali chapter 65 . 6/21/2011
This is another chapter in which Hermione is careful about food. And yet, as a daughter of dentists, she never thinks about teeth, only nutrition.

Is this going somewhere, in which we discover Hermione's precision about what to eat "saves the day". Because this kind of carefulness is more McGonagall's style, if it is just being done for it's own sake.

Harry was concerned about magical creatures in terms of his hypothesis of "why magic is weaker nowadays". It is odd that he doesn't feel that there's nothing to learn here, even if he doesn't feely anything sympathetic to Hagrid.

Slayer End chapter 65 . 5/28/2011
Well, this was interesting.

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
lostallusions chapter 65 . 5/12/2011
I’m not sure why Harry has discarded Hagrid without making any assessment of him as a potential asset – the assumption prior to any research or interaction to assess Hagrid that he is without any strategic benefit at all seems a larger one than HJPEV would make, especially when he knows he’ll need a lot of allies in the war and they can’t all be ones he has natural affinity with, as he’ll need a range of supporters. Earlier he saw some value in the blunt instruments Crabbe and Goyle and Hagrid's knowledge of and ability with magical creatures should merit some exploitation.

Excising all the original Harry's friends who aren't intellectually interesting might match your aims but narrows the world and seems to indicate a significant limitation of Harry's in both engaging with and commanding the world around him.
mika772010 chapter 65 . 3/20/2011
I am getting the impression that if this story goes past firt year harry will be dropping out.. I've always been cool with that idea.
ARMH chapter 65 . 2/28/2011
Good chapter. I would cry if Harry went along with the Professor's plan. He can get plenty strong at Hogwarts anyway.
The Fuzy Llama chapter 65 . 2/26/2011
Wait... Peter Pevensie? Chronicles of Narnia? That revelation sent my brain on about eight different tangents. :)
Vive chapter 65 . 2/23/2011
Nice chapter. It's always interesting to see how the characters think.
Aleurites chapter 65 . 2/18/2011
Only reviewing this because I really enjoy your book to the point I've read it twice so far. I just noticed an inconsistency that I want to mention that seems out of character of Quirrell and Harry in this,

"... Woman we resscued will cooperate, sshould be mosst convincing when sshe iss sseen at hiss sside... ssayss that he hass gained sstill greater power, not even you can sstop him now. Offerss to let you duel. You casst guardian Charm, Dark Lord laughss at you, ssayss he iss not life-eater. Casstss Killing Cursse at you, you block, watcherss ssee Dark Lord explode -"

Perhaps a plot point but if it ever came to this and Bellatrix Black sees Harry cast the patronus wont she realize Harry is not the Dark Lord? You had pointed out it was a good thing she was asleep when Harry had to recast it several chapter back and it seems like something both Harry and Qurrill should immediately realize.
Obi1Nemogbr chapter 65 . 1/19/2011
chocolate-flavored scone with some scone-flavored frosting.?

What sssacrilege.
Swurt chapter 65 . 1/14/2011
Great follow up to the big events and consequences of azkaban.

I wonder if or when Harry will stop letting himself get lead around by Quirrelmort. It's good drama for sure... Quirrelmort makes good cases, it's just that Harry lets Quirrelmort tell him what to think about. You are mixing things up, with stating Harry is taking step away and actually showing that step away, which I like. Some sort of conflict is inevitable, and I'm glad you're hinting at what may come.

Your break was well spent. Very high quality chapter. Don't make this a job and spend as much time on this fiction as you want! I get nerd chills thinking some enlightened conspiracy figure is giggling over combining Harry Potter fanfiction and meta-thinking. No giggling and the image just doesn't gel.

As always, your fiction is one of the best (perhaps the best?) I have ever read. I have read much fanfiction and my memory is foggy. I have a feeling people will be talking about your work for a long time if fanfiction sticks around.

Gold Leader, over and out.
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 65 . 1/13/2011
"He was starting to wonder if all the other wizarding schools were also like this, or if it was only Hogwarts that had a problem."

From what we hear in the books it seems to be the same in all wizarding schools, sorry Harry.
hollyd chapter 65 . 1/12/2011
oooh update! please!
matchynishi chapter 65 . 1/12/2011
Loved the plot - definitely one of the more educational fics I've read. XD Can't wait to see the directions you're taking with it, so I'm definitely looking forward to more. Thank you for writing, and sharing!
click chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
This is an excellent fic. Thank you for sharing it.
Violet Ryou chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
I've just spend almost 2 days reading all this fic, and as my brain might be malfunctioning right now I'll avoid to make a super huge list of the ridiculously LoL-able and totally super awesome things that I happen to love about your fic.

With nothing else to add, enjoy the year while I enjoy the wait of the next chapter.

VR

PS. My brain at some point started to read Harry's dialogs at Gilmore Girl-Speed. Any clue in how to fix this?
Nerdfish chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
I find Harry's comment on "Or truth doesn't exist and there's no such thing as objective reality" rather strange. If observations require assumption that there is an objective reality, then they cannot be used to as evidence for existence of such. (circular logic fallacy)

If observations cannot be used to determine existence of said reality. Since observations are the final arbitrator, existence objective reality is literally unknowable. Since burden of proof lies with those who assert the hypothesis, Objective reality cannot be assumed to exist until there is evidence for it.
Joe chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
Hey Eliezer! Great work you've done here...this fic has really encouraged me to look further into social sciences and rationality. Could you give us an ETA for the next chapter?
Final-Fan chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
I have been reading this story since at least July 6th. But I had always mentally pronounced Comed-Tea as "co-med" like "co-sponsor", and thus UNTIL THIS VERY DAY missed the pun. It fits HP like a glove; after all, didn't he buy it in Diagon Alley?
Gursimran Singh chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
This was just hopelessly addicting...

I loved the amount of detail and all the well thought out dialogue. Honestly, this will probably be forever known as the best treatment of a rationalist!Harry idea. And this universe actually makes some sort of sense and isn't so fundamentally escapist as a more fantasy-focused fic...that's what it seems like anyway. Perhaps that's because you actually use very real ideas and weave them believably into the story. It might not always line up with everyone's expectations, but MASSIVE HUMONGOUS AND TOTALLY DESERVED KUDOS on realizing such a great concept!

Long Live the Bayesian Conspiracy!
Lanthanum chapter 65 . 1/10/2011

A quick sketch based on a random idea.
Dave chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
A couple of days ago I introduced to this fanfiction by reddit. When I was in 6th grade I started reading Harry Potter and could not put it down but grew tired of it after growing older due to less than creative use of magic by the entirety of the wizarding world. Here I am, an adult scientist and I spent the entire weekend reading chapters one through sixty five. I very much look forward to future chapters. One of my favorite parts of your fanfic is your in depth rational explanations of magic much like one of my favorite series "The Age of Unreason". Thank you very much for taking the time to write this.
LadyBluePhoenix chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
I liked your chapter on other stories...you captured the Lord of the Rings writting well.
Sienf chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
Nice comeback after what was hopefully a good rest :) (I've yet to read AN) I hope you enjoyed your holidays and you're back with another interesting chapter :) Glad you didn't jump right into big scary events, it's a great re-introduction chapter... hoping to see more, but do take your time, it's probably best in the long run for all of us :)
Nuke Em chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
This is a fan fic that I've told many people about in the most glowing terms. (in person rather through the review system-Since there is no way for the author to know that though I figured I'd better WRITE a review.)

Warning this story is as addictive as the original and at 65 chapters and still going strong it's a long way from finished.
Anon chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
This is a great story with awesome characters and plot which I hope to read a lot more of.

Please don't listen to reviewers whining about the characters being too intelligent and mature, as this outstanding work should not become less-than-perfect just to add "realism" (since "11-year-old shouldn't be this smart").

liveguy: You do realize that you are complaining about characters being too intelligent in a rationalist fic?
glueboy chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
Remarkable story. The only thing that bothers me about it is the absurd maturity and intelligence these 11 year olds display, especially Potter. I'm sure the author has addressed this elsewhere, but still, it's ridiculous.
Ivar Hugo chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
I thought I’d point some of the ways this story truly sets the standard against which other Harry Potter fanfictions will be judged.

*Dementors and Patronuses: After humanism, I’ll never look at a Dementor or patronus in another way. Somehow, reading other stories of animal patronuses and of Dementors dissimilar to yours, they seem rather like pale imitations or cheap knock-offs. As far as I’m concerned, Dementors are Death, and a human patronus borne of hope is the only way to defeat them.

*Harry: Every Smart!Harry or Ravenclaw!Harry will be measured and held up against your example. Here you have a brilliant protagonist whose power and achievements are not manufactured out of thin air, but toiled for. Any other fic where Harry gains powers greater than he should have should be compared to your story. Furthermore, he is a flawed character, but unlike many other Harrys out there bent on challenging the authority figures of the Potterverse, your Harry has a degree of self-reflection and awareness to recognise those shortcomings. I don’t think your Harry is either insufferable or an asshole, but someone who struggles honestly with real moral quandaries, someone who can be (and frequently is shown to be) wrong, despite his brilliance.

*Azkaban: Your epic Azkaban sequence should be the gold standard for how a competently run, scary-as-hell magical prison should be. You perfectly encapsulate the horror and near impregnability of that terrible place, and other writers should try to take up your challenge when writing about Azkaban. What place does such a prison have in a civilised society? HOW should you go about escaping it?

*Quirrell: I think it’s fair to say that your portrayal of Quirrell is unique; I certainly have never seen a more comprehensive treatment and exploration of that character. I fear any other Quirrell, when measured against your original creation, will come up embarrassingly short; that certainly has been the case with the other Harry Potter fanfictions I’ve read after becoming acquainted with your story.

I’m sure there are many more and that there will BE many more examples and standards set by this story. I eagerly look forward to it.
lunkwill chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
I'm curious to see where you're going with Harry's "plans within plans" view of the world.

Harry is legitimately living in a highly adversarial environment, so it's wise for him to be wary, as should a head of state or a wartime general. On the other hand, Harry is a proxy for the reader, and most of the challenges we have in our day-to-day lives, like working in families or work groups, deal with cooperative systems.

If MoR's central reality is Dune-like: everyone is an assassin and only the hyper-paranoid survive, then Harry is right to be vigilant. But I hope it isn't, because a life that adversarial would be truly miserable (whether filled with real or imaginary foes).

My primary memory of Dune is "look how paranoid and clever Frank Herbert was". I think it's fascinating to see Harry take a paranoid view of the world, but I worry that the MoR world will actually turn out to be like that, because far too many people think the real world is really like that, and behavioral confirmation tends to make it so.
Last Alchemist chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
What would really be dangerous would be for Harry to make antimatter by transfiguration. One pound of antimatter would instantly undergo matter/antimatter annihilation, converting one pound of antimatter and one pound of matter 100% into energy, producing an explosion probably powerful enough to blow up England!

You might want to avoid that.
Loonynamelass chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
Oh no, Harry, Don't do it! :(
AbsintheSpoon3 chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
Wow. Just wow. I'm in love with your writing style.

Keep it up!
Aishata chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
I love your story.

However, I have yet to question:

Why not Harry be given to ability to merge particles in the air to create substances? A lot of possibilities can be taken from this, creating chemicals to make bombs, creating drugs, creating a trail of pure oxygen in the air which would set off a chain reaction of fire with a spark...

Not to mention the pure destructibility of acetone peroxide, by which it can be set off with simply blunt shock. Saying that particles in the air are unstable is something I don't see as a reasonable explanation, in that case simply bring them to a more solid form (like freezing) and then transfigurate them from there.

If anything, why can't water be used in combat as well? Spells are essentially light, and thus can be refracted or reflected. Even spells that can't be seen such as hexes can also be treated accordingly, because certain wavelengths of light can't be seen by the human eye.
Annabelinda Tsuki chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
What brilliance! I could comment on a couple things that disappointed me, but they wouldn't really be criticism. So, I'll say that you manage to tie in serious with humorous, made me laugh myself into insanity and bite my nails in confusion, and declare outloud that I'll never be able to write something like this.

I can't wait until the next chapter!

Annabelinda Tsuki
JoyceVivian chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
I'm a major in Psychology and Sociology, have only a slightly smaller degree of passion for philosophy and a year old personal mission to teach myself how to think critically and rationally. I love reading fiction and Harry Potter fanfiction is a part of my staple literary diet.

You have given me a greater respect for science and mathematics, for all that they are not my calling. I hope you'll respect that I read your work through the eyes of a psychologist and philosopher.

I want to thank you for writing an intellectual masterpiece which thoroughly excited me through each and every one of your 65 chapters (and I'm sure will continue to do so).

You have combined my two favourite passions in the world: leisure reading and learning, moulding them into a piece of work which inspires my drive to learn. To soak up and expand my knowledge as an aspiring scholar on every theory and concept I do not already recognise in your writing.

I am thoroughly glad that I have two months left of my summer holidays, as I intend to learn everything I can from your profile links.

Eight years reading fanfiction and yours is only the fourth story that I have found so intellectually gripping.
anonrit.edu chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
Great fanfiction. Strike that; great fiction, full stop. This is the first fanfiction I've been confident in recommending to my friends, and it's definitely given me some new ideas (plus countless moments of helpless laughter...).

I suspect that "somewhere in London" will turn out to be No. 12 Grimmauld Place...
werewoolf chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
i have been a reader of fanfic for many years and i must say that this story is fantastic it has quite an interesting story line and the facts are always thought provoking. i haven't yet read the website but plan to.

sincerly

ww
ejhawman chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
A minor point addressed, but a useful one - Fawkes should be good enough proof of Dumbles' character for most casual observers, hence why most of the wizarding world trusts him by default. His enemies won't be so affected, but they know better. But Dumbles has also done noting (publicly known) to contradict the good image Fawkes reinforces.

Harry might get some benefit from association with Fawkes, but the Slytherins are already circulating rumors about him, trying to discount the Fawkes factor. It might not work; it's a bit early yet, situation still in flux. And Fawkes might not stay long.

A better point - Hagrid wouldn't get on so well with this Harry. In the books Harry was desperate for any kind of friends, but HPEV can afford to be more discriminating. No doubt Hagrid annoys him, and as you say, Hagrid wouldn't find Harry very warm and friendly. Still, he would probably take a while to figure that out, and should have made at least a few approaches by now.

Minerva worries about Harry becoming too hardened at an early age. It's always great to see Harry being more mature and realistic than the adults that run his life - actually a theme from the books, how well-meaning adults hold kids back sometimes, with potentially disastrous consequences. With most powerful!Harry fics, this is overcome quickly. Rationalist!Harry does so elegantly.

Quirrelmort finds his inclusion of Harry in his plans leads to an unexpected obstacle; they must hammer out a plan to remove it. Straightforward, at least. The investigation of the Salem Witch Institute offer is inconclusive for now, the portkey might lead to the International Portkey Terminal as an intermediate stop or it might simply be a trap by another faction. The Headmaster, Snape, Quirrel, or others can make further discreet inquiries with the Salem staff.

Harry should soon realize it's not Hogwarts or other wizarding schools that have any problem with excessive subtlety; it's him in particular. Teachers want to give him no special treatment, but ultimately the rest of the world does see him in a unique way, and some sort of special treatment is necessary - as Harry has realized, and tries to convince others of.

Many directions to go from here. I'd be at a loss to plot it. I wouldn't want to rush you; I have plenty of other stories to read in the meantime.
db48x chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
Good chapter; I had been wondering how soon he would consider the other consequences of treason.

Also, I wonder of it will occur to him that the portkey need not lead directly to America for the note to be correct. For all he know it leads to the American embassy
Sandorius chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
I just finished reading this, and all I can say is: wow! great work! keep it up!
Zicou chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
Awesome story!

will we know one day who is the mysterious note writer, portkey / invisibility cloak giver ?

Continuuuuuuuuuue,

Z.
godescalc chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
Professor Quirrell: so awesome. His suggestion of creating a fake Voldy and the (friendly) dig at canon are hilarious. I would be annoyed at how your fanfiction has been largely taken over by two characters who are essentially your own creation (Quirrell & H-PEV), if it weren't for the fact that every conversation of theirs leaves me wanting more.

Omake: "Lord of the Rationality": very yes. A screen or three ago a commenter talked about how Harry Potter is open to rationalist critique whereas other series are simply too metaphysical, and that was a good point - HP has rules, albeit arbitrary ones; LotR has some metaphysics, but a massive worldbuilding effort behind it to give it depth and consistency; critiquing Narnia, though, requires arbitrarily removing bits of it. I snerked at the title "The Witch and the Wardrobe", but everything after that is redundant. I briefly pondered whether a "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Bayesian Rationalist" would have any point to it, but Covenant is avowedly metaphysical psychodrama, so probably not...

Re: the TSPE chapters - I liked the characters of Bones and Moody, until a reviewer made the connection between Narcissa's death and Dumbledore mentioning how Voldemort had learnt not to threaten Order of the Phoenix families - and then later I made the connection between that, and Amelia's comment about Dumbledore and his "foolish mercies" and how Moody needed to nag him into getting tough. A bit chilling, that.

Overall TSPE was rather good, but the plot felt a little strained in that Harry wound up with an *entire hour* to put a plan into motion while the prison was being combed. This stretched suspension of disbelief a little for me.
reader chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
I like how harry has matured through trial,tragedy,deceit and hope through Hermione pure heart.I think its become increasingly obvious whom our lovely defense against the dark arts professor is and his agenda and his choice of less predicted reemergence into the wizardry harry potter is to be a rationalist,no is a rationalist then he should remember the headmasters warning about losing his first mentor professor quirrell .The undeniable truth that it takes more lies to cover up more lies .He also should realize the risk the lies possess to his soul and inner inner integrity how can he perform the patronous if he is continuously betraying the very emotions that embody it and declaration of defying death when the very act of lying is self decaying,in other words he is knowingly killing and losing apart of himself each time. on the matter of quirrel you have made harry to blind to the obvious and the more he is in league with him the more he detaches himself from his friends the further away he is from are Hermione and Neville ever going to forgive him especially Neville (his parents).its time for you set the stage for the separation of harry and "quirrels" paths and ambitions , harry remembering his original ambition to solve the mysteries of science , magic and the universe because the more he involve himself with "quirrel" the further away he is from his principles and teaching of rationality he basically forgets the happens to malfroy now?all am saying his harry should should think outside the box and realize the difference between the player and the pawn,Hermione practicably spelled it out for him the dear professor is purposefully leading him into the abyss.
Dragon Man 180 chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
I love the idea of faking a duel between Harry and Moldywart. Mainly because it would be interesting to see how it was done and people's reactions.
Less Wrong chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
1) At most one review per chapter please!

2) Please don't flood the reviews with things like this, I want my review count to mean something.
Another Lazy Rationalist chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
Update guessing game guess:

2011-01-17: 7pm

Reasoning:

-He says he'll be updating 7pm only to cut down on crack dispenser button mashing. Could be late or a bit early though.

-It's been 1 week, but he's busy so ... but he may just as likely go a week further than that...

-I'm guessing he does a lot of writing/editing on the weekends and tends to therefore update on Mon/Tues
Another Lazy Rationalist chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
I just had an idea:

While waiting for Author Lord to finish the next chapter by stealing time from important work (read: find time so he doesn't burn out on important work or MoR - no, rationalists don't have god like willpower to always do what they know is theoretically optimal, I'd like to see a chapter based on that concept actually, but I digress; now where was I? Oh, yes, while waiting for updates like starving rat with food button...) I'd like a game to play. Specifically, I'd like to guess what day the next chapter will be uploaded to ffnet.

Rules:

1. Only 1 guess per reviewer per chapter.

2. Only votes on the next chapter count (no guessing for chp. 100 when only chp. 70 is up)

3. Each guess should have a day and an hour.

Format YEAR-MM-DD: HR (2011-01-17: 7pm)

4. Winner(s) are the 1st to guess the correct time.

5. Winner(s) receive 0.5 geek points per win plus bragging rights.

5b. Author gets data on his predictability if there are lots of players plus, if he plays his cards right, a good number of people who are perfectly fine with a later update.
malcolm75k chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
Strategy is not finding the path to victory, but making sure all paths lead to victory.

Ha! By offering what he does, Quirrel makes Harry's choice irrelevant.

If Harry accepts and QuirrelMort wants him dead, Harry is putting his neck on the block voluntarily.

If Harry does not accept and QuirrelMort enacts the plan anyway, Harry will be confused and unsuspecting long enough to eliminate if dark intentions are involved.

Either path, QM can choose to play act or do harm. If he chooses to kill, Potter is gone. If he chooses to play act, then Harry is "free" and in his debt - again.

Nicely done.
Orson Zedd chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
Haha, awesome shout out to Super Mario Brothers 3. Venus Fire Trap, indeed.
NotSoSuperGirl chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
I've got to say that I absolutely love this story. It is incredibly original, and really humorous at points. I love the satire you display when you mention points of contention in the actual books. Though it is easy to get lost when Harry starts on his long monologues about science and rationalism, I find them very informative, and they usually further the story, which is nice. :) Update Soon!
Eli Courtwright chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
"Hermione Granger had read somewhere once, that one of the keys to staying thin was to pay attention to the food you ate, to notice yourself eating it, so that you were satisfied with the meal..."

This chapter was excellent right off the bat. I love those night little touches you put on the characters, glimpses into how they think and see the world. Those small things add a lot of depth, and make the story so much better.

Glad to see you updating again, I hope you're able to go at your own pace and enjoy the writing as much as we enjoy the reading.
Lackadaisical Cat chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
More please! How can the second year possibly top this? (You are writing Year Two, aren't you?)
jafl chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
I'm starting to wonder if Prof Quirrell is engineering this whole thing to put Harry Potter in control as a puppet. Did Quirrell also use Tom Marvolo Riddle?
Falcon's Jade chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
That took me a while to read, this is one epic of a fanfiction! I'm glad to have finally caught up!

Well, what can I say, there are times when I admire and there are times I am annoyed at the characterization. I love how everyone actually seems so much smarter and logical, but sometimes the rants about the stupidity and ugliness of others almost border on unwanted angst for me. I'm actually enjoying Dumbledore, you write him as a man with good intentions but making bad decisions without overly bashing him, neither have you romanticize Snape like so many other authors have done. I love Dumbledore's very intro, "the headmaster light a chicken on fire!" and alternating between insanity and powerful mentor. I am curious to see what was the truth of his affair with the Malfoy family, because like Harry said it doesnt seem his style.

Your portrayal of the professors made them very interesting to me, no surprise Quirrel is my favorite so far no matter how suspicious I can get of him, and him bringing Lupin over made me grin. I love the three generals and their relations with their subordinates and each other, I am curious at Blaise' role in the affair and his mysterious...mentor? Friend? Companion? In any case, hope to see more of them and your new chapters soon!
Silver Ame Tsukino chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
Lol, go Harry! Can't wait for the next update.
jdboss1 chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
"," said the boy that everyone else in school, excepting only the two of them, now believed to be her true love."

dont foget us reader think that toooooooooo

happy so happy you updats this

going have harry mum/dad in the next Chapter ?
just some guy you know chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
I just wanted to point out, since it seems to really concern you, that no small part of the apparent page reloading may be by people like me, who always have a MoR tab open, and frequently need to restart our browsers for whatever reason.
yamiishot chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
Clearly its just Hogwarts. everywhere else is at least mildly sane.
LM1991 chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
Wow. Really, wow. I've read this fanfic in... what... three days? Maybe.

It's absolutely cool! Some things confused me, yes, but it's such a good fanfic! I love it, yes, I do. I hope you'll continue the story.

Bye,

Lisette
lolly chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
Your story sends me into raptures of ecstasy and improves my life. Thank you, you talented amazing person.

My favourite chapter is when Harry bought his robes - I shed many tears of laughter over it.

The plot is getting so complex and twisty that even after multiple rereads I have trouble catching up. I felt reassured when even Snape suggested to the Headmaster that diagrams be drawn.

Could you possibly provide those diagrams explaining how Azkaban interacts with time and how Snape and Dumbledore arrived at their conclusion for the benefit of slower-witted readers like me?

Once again, thank you for writing and you are the epitomy of awesome.
Markku Tuovinen chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
This is a thing of terrible beauty, all hard edges and eye-searing brilliance. It casts familiar faces and events in new light, and once you've seen it, you can never be satisfied with the originals again.
Pokethat chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
another brilliant chapter. Well done.
Mr. Thumbsup chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
This story gets better every time I read it.

Somehow, I get the feeling that when you get around to introducing Lockhart, he's either going to actually be the Badass he claims to be, or even more of a coward than the original version.
Reader chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Note to author: don't reveal the plot, no matter what questions are asked and however silly assumptions are made in this review.

I wish Harry could be kinder to Hagrid.

Agree. But Harry is correct in wanting to hide the thing with the Sorting Hat. Professor Quirrell is only one of many Slytherins who would attack Harry when they found out he knowingly "betrayed" Slytherin's secret.

I hope Harry will be warm to Hagrid, just without telling about the Sorting Hat. And becoming friends with Hagrid could reveal something about the Chamber of Secrets.

Is Quirrell or isn't he?

Quirrell isn't the Dark Lord. Quirrell is stronger and wiser than that. Except that Quirrell thinks that political power is worth something. If Quirrell continues to push Harry Potter to rule Britain, Harry should point out that Lucius knows that Harry took Bellatrix from prison, and if Harry tried to rule Britain, real power would be in hands of Lucius, who controls everybody, not only Harry, while Harry would be only a pawn in the fight among Dumbledore/Lucius/Quirrell.

Is Quirrell related to Lucius in any way? They haven't interacted at all, or I have forgotten about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Quirrell was teaching Dark Lord somewhen. I would be interested in why Dark Lord killed Quirrell's friends without killing Quirrell, and why Quirrell shows no wish to find and kill the Dark Lord. It seems that Quirrell is too suspiciously sure that the Dark Lord is dead. He doesn't question it; he just refuses to look at the question; he doesn't ask himself why Dumbledore believes the Dark Lord to be alive.

Or maybe, Quirrell himself planted something to make Dumbledore think the Dark Lord is alive. It would explain why Quirrell wanted to take Bellatrix out of the prison: he wanted to maintain the visible threat of Dark Lord over Britain, hoping to get Harry Potter to play a part in the spectacle. But what's the final goal? To rule the world by manipulating Harry-Potter-the-only-wizard-fighting-the-Dark-Lord? Harry Potter will not play along. And ruling the world is most likely not a goal, but a way to do something. So, what's Quirrell's ultimate goal?

I really hope Harry starts looking for the Dark Lord. Though getting friends with Auroras and giving them hints that it the rescuer of Bellatrix wasn't the Dark Lord would also be a good thing to do, just too dangerous: Auroras are clever, too.

The plot thickens. Love it!

The plot is already too thick, but I agree, I like it.

I'm not even sure what the right decision is!

Find the real Dark Lord to fight instead of impostor. And manage to preserve Quirrell as an ally at the same time.
CaeruleaFairyDust chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Did you know that this story comes up third in a google search of 'fanfiction harry potter'?

I thought that was neat.

I really like the mental exercise your fic gives, even if I think the story has a much to be desired. I both hate and love it when you update- love because I feel like I *need* to read this, and hate because... Have you ever read a book, and the author did something to his/her character that just made you want to cry from the sheer frustration you would feel if that were happening to you?

Thankfully, you usually end up adding much needed humor, which saves me from screaming at the computer screen (who doesn't deserve it, poor dear).

I do enjoy the Rationality, though. Very interesting, very different way of thinking than what I am used to.

For all my frustration with parts of your fic, I am truly grateful you started it, it has opened my eyes and my mind that little bit wider that every good book does.

A Faithful Reader
bohemian-rhapsodi chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Wow, what a marathon it was to catch up! Where should I begin... your style is too masterful for words, I'm loving (read: running away in terror from) Prof Quirrell, and I can't believe that the science/rationality theme works so well... congratulations, I can't wait for the next instalments!
JDro chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
The past ten or so chapters have started to drag and the upcoming chapters don't look like it will improve. Convoluted plot threads are boring (the major weakness of JKR was the convoluted plotting). Especially when there's the giant question hanging over the whole story.

Is Quirrell or isn't he?

We have made no progress in answering that.

I feel like I did when I watched Lost. There's never any resolution to the big questions, just more of the same.
ev chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Great chapter. I feel like Hermione will do something ridiculously Gryffindor soon, after her interaction with Fawkes!
skeptic7 chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Great. I love the ways that lies multiply and I love the ways that Harry refers to alternate medicine. I wish Harry could be kinder to Hagrid. How did the headmaster get Peter Pevensie and Cameron Edward killed? Is this Peter from "The Lion and the Witch and the Warddrobe?"
braindoll chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
I understand that Harry has had a very tough experience, and that it's reasonable for him to become more driven and less warm. Asking for 30 hour days is a good idea - though I'd suspect that keeping it to 28 hours, with 2 hours available for an emergency, would be wiser; and though I wonder why, if potions can change his sleep schedule, he was given a time-turner instead in the first place.

But his rejection of Hagrid is a mistake, and one which makes him less sympathetic. With Dumbledore, McGonagall, Draco, and Quirrel all aware of his parseltongue, he should at best be making no plans which rely on keeping that secret from Voldemort. To reject a potential ally, with unknown powers and knowledge, in order to preserve an uncertain but limited secrecy and potential for plotting... that's hardly defensible, even for a Quirrel-style plotter. To do so despite the separate good of being nice to someone who was nice to you as a baby, and to do so in a way which weakens your mutual sympathy with an important, trusted, and reasonably-powerful ally (McGonagall)... that's a dark-style mistake, not one I'd expect from warm!Harry.
Pathatlon chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
The plot thickens. Love it!
Oscar the Grouch chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Love this
Boticelli Puzzle chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
I've just finished reading the entire story over the course of about three days. This fic is all I have talked about to anyone. Teachers, fellow students, anyone who has expressed a mild interest in Harry Potter ever is getting an earful about Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

You manage to convince the reader that this is still Harry, regardless of his heightened intellect and/or interest in learning. His interaction with the world around him is radically different yet still believable, and I adore the sly digs at canon that crop up now and again.

The thinking is incredibly engaging - the unraveling of the mysteries that face him through logic. The fact that he thinks his way through issues (in the latest chapter, for instance, the issue with phoenixes). It's insightfully enthralling, and really does encourage rationality and deeper thinking. It goes very well with one of my courses at the moment - as part of the International Baccalaureate program, I take a class called Theory of Knowledge. It's sort of exactly as advertised - the class is an exercise in learning to think differently and question the theories behind learning/knowledge. I showed some of your blog posts to my TOK teacher and he thinks they're brilliant.

The dilemma that Harry faces now is one greater than canon Harry ever faced, frankly. It's great, because in the face of all his academic knowledge, he's still terribly lost. I'm not even sure what the right decision is! Really can't wait for it. Thanks so much for devoting time and energy to this fic. Happy New Year!
LOVEPOINT33 chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Another excellent chapter. As usual, thoroughly enjoyable.
w chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Ah, 65, so nice, thank you. Take as much time as you want for the next one, as long as you write He-man the masters of rationality fanfic in the meantime.

Come to think of it, it is deus ex machina to have Fawkes serve as a Goodness detector. I hope you somehow clear this misconception out.

Is treacle tart an allusion to Alice in Wonderland? Alas, seems it actually exists. Put it in the well then.

"Potter talking like more complicated kind of book". That's nice. MG chair is nice too.
NormalAnomaly chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
You're back! And the plot is moving at mach one! YES.
Morbious20 chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Great to see a new chapter it was great .
Lady of the Hunt chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Jebus. How will Harry get his way this time...
Reader chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Interesting twist would be to use Bellatrix's belief that Harry Potter is the Dark Lord to use Bellatrix's power to defeat "the impostor" - the actual Dark Lord.
Faranda chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Hogwarts sweet Hogwarts ! Isn't it good to get back to school after a trip at sea ?

Personnally I don't think it's Hogwarts that has a problem : it's any wizarding or muggle school which allows some random boy with round glasses and messy hair to get within ten miles of its wards...

Happy new year !
Reader chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
The obvious: Harry Potter should ask Dumbledore what reasons he has for believing that Dark Lord is alive (point out the bias: Dumbledore uses the escape of Bellatrix to strengthen his point of view without considering any other hypothesis). Dumbledore had these reasons before escape of Bellatrix. Point out to Dumbledore that the best defence is offence, and spending time doesn't help them to defeat the Dark Lord.

(Note: Dumbledore weaseled out of this question before by saying that Harry wants immortality for himself)

Ask Quirrell why he thinks that Dark Lord isn't alive. Point out that creating any plausible impostor takes time and will not stand close scrutiny, while also distracting Harry Potter from the real danger.

I hope that Quirrell isn't Voldemort. Quirrell pretends to be wiser than the Dark Lord, but at the same time Quirrell pushes Harry to take political power over Britain. What are Quirrell's goals? Don't reply, it will not be interesting.

Quirrell may say that proving that Dark Lord is dead will take too much time, and in the end people will ask who helped Bellatrix to escape. Point out that if Dark Lord is dead, Bellatrix will not be able to torture anybody, not in the name of Dark Lord, and thus will be forgotten, in the relief of knowing the alarm was false, the Dark Lord is dead; and if Dark Lord isn't dead, Bellatrix is of less interest, only as a weapon taken away from his hands.

Use reference of Bellatrix to Dark Lord's wand, if it is possible without arousing suspicions about source of information.

Don't forget about Quirrell's promise to have a play without Snitch, giving House Cup to Rawenclaw and Slytherin at the same time.

Very fascinating reading.
JudgeMingus chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Thanks for the new installment - just in time for my birthday!
Peregrinate chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
AN UPDATE!

That just made my day. Thank you.
12763457 chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
I like the observations of harry becoming more mature. I was glad harry decided to wait and think on Quirrel's plan this time. Very excited that your back from your break!
Guile chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Ha! Peter Pevensie was a Gryffindor.

It's a little sad Harry's losing what little childishness remains, but what the hell - completely in-character for the lad.
foudebassan chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Thank you for writing!
wisecurledqueen chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
You have returned! And I love the fanfics you recommended, definetly checking those out. And what a great chapter. I think I see what Quirrel is trying to do... awesome. So awesome. Thank you so much!

-curledruler
NicNacs chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Hurrah! More Rationality!

(Also, what I could have been reading was very funny.)
ShadowedHearts chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
So glad to have an update (even more glad that I started reading shortly before you continued updating. ;D). I have to say, I'm very much enjoying this fic...and the brain teaser that it is.
Luiz4200 chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
The worst part is that Quirrel might be right about the two people thing.
voider chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Hm... i wonder if Quirellmort is going to use Harry in the ritual of resurrection. Harry noted that Quirell was looking older. Is his body approaching some limit perhaps?
Multipartite chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
(*great happiness at the chapter to read!*)

'Swallowing of cynicism': two perspectives being in conflict lowers the subjective likelihood of both. Ideally, neither side is taken as given without a strong amount of evidence observed on one side or the other, and apathy (or prejudice) helps people do things more locally important to them than seeking out what evidence is available. Result: decreased subjective likelihood of the first perspective, which is the desired aim of the proponents of the second perspective. In the phoenix case, it's then necessary to show (convincing!) evidence appropriate for a test to distinguish between the two outcomes of the two different proposed perspectives. Then there's the matter of people revising and rerevising their memes to make them strong, as with Creationism/'Intelligent Design' et cetera, which hooks back to the earlier 'arguing with people gives them credibility' question... though not arguing potentially results in two camps who don't speak with each other and may seem equally probable to an outsider who isn't motivated to conduct a thorough investigation... problematic. *ponders*
ginoeh chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Soooo... Harry is about to fall into the very same trap he described to Hermione. It's really bothering me that he doesn't seem to even notice it. Due to obvious reasons his mistakes have so much farther reaching consequences than those of others (bar Dumbledore) but he's still only eleven and his mistakes are piling up; most notably among them arrogance and hybris. Well... it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

cheers,

ginoeh
Animekitty47 chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Since the repeated use of the AK despite multiple failures is a plot hole just about everyone notices, I think you're perfectly justified pointing that one out. XD An ok chapter, though I have no clue what's up with the portkey. Oh, well, Happy New Year! XD
Sunraia chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
I keep accidentally referring to this story as a book rather than a fanfiction in my mind. As far as I'm concerned, you're in the process of writing book 8. Keep up the magnificent work. :)
Entropic Specter chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Thanks for another delicious update.

Funny thing about that portkey. If it is some kind of deception, why did the sender bother telling a NTL? Peculiar, really.

Anyway, thanks for the great work, keep it up and please update soon.
NougatEvolution chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Aww, poor corrupted Harry. I definitely enjoyed the title of "The Incident with Rescuing Bellatrix Black from Azkaban."

Also, why must Quirrel change into a snake to speak parseltongue? Is he not a parselmouth? I was wondering how the Chamber got opened then, but on second thought it's not particularly difficult to imagine LV figuring out about it without the rather minimal hint offered by the Hat.

Or perhaps he just doesn't want Harry to know he's a parselmouth. Or I've missed something and am basing this analysis on false assumptions.

I'm sorry you feel pressured writing this story. You've given us more than enough already. Good luck shifting your emotions about updating.
TKrause chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Sort of a filling chapter, I guess. Not much to be said, even more because I've forgotten a little the last chapters. The Omake were entertaining, though, especially Lord of Rationality.
kitiem3000 chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
It's definitely going into a darker direction.
deitarionSSokolow chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Another excellent chapter. I love how you arranged Harry's talk about lies propagating and Quirrel's proposal so they shared the same chapter without feeling predictable. They just do such a good job of emphasizing the situation Harry is caught in.
phoebe turner chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
i loved it!
fotherington chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
God! I hadn't realised how much I was missing intelligent fan fiction until you posted again. Thank you! I love the point about phoenixes as well - in canon (and this work?) it seems as if getting one should prove your character to everyone. And now, I shall have to tie my mind in knots wondering which things Quirrelldemort says are true, and which are false...
Gogolu chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Nice.
Kutta chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Great chapter
Raineh Daze chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Huge, unwieldy webs of deceit are still hilarious to watch unravel.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Neat.

Not much more tos ay.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Entertaining chapter; thanks for the update.
Shadowhawke chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
A really interesting, thoughtful chapter. It's sad and exhilarating to see Harry grow up so quickly, and I'm very curious as to how he'll deal with the latest conundrum that Professor Quirrel has proposed.

Thanks once again for sharing the marvellous story with us. :D
Debate4life chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Intriguing chapter. I look forward to seeing where this story will go.

Fair winds and following seas,

Debate4life
Majin Hentai X chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
No Harry all magical people share your issues just to varying levels of intensity. Well the Europeans at least we don't really have any intel on the other magical cultures.

I don't mind slow updates I'm a slow updater myself. Well not by choice that's the price of a beta reader.
badkidoh chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
Another great chapter, I'm looking forward to your next update.
Meneldur chapter 65 . 1/4/2011
What is there to say?

All I can think of is that faith is often far better than truth (though also often far worse, keeping the balance), and that I'd like to know why Minerva thought Peter Pevensie was too young - and how did she even know him?
firedraygon chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Very happy to see this updating again! I hope you had a lovely holiday break. Fantastic chapter - I like the explanation for cynicism. And the tentative plan for getting Harry out of Hogwarts? I hope it happens, haha. Please write more soon!

fd97
Tangshou chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Welcome back.

It's an obvious setup for Voldemort's graveyard return... or is it a setup for readers. There's something fishy about Voldemort's first 'death'; maybe Quirrelmort really does want Harry to become ruler.
Phillip chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
This story is both an excellent explanation and advertisement of rationalism, and an intriguing, well thought out story with engaging characters. Speaking as someone who has read over a book a week since middle school, you have the skill of a professional.

Of course, no review is complete without giving tips for improvement. You tend to write in shorter story arcs, which works well for a serialized story like this one but can hurt the larger arc of the story. Just something to be aware of.

Thank you for many enjoyable hours spent reading.
anon chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
You know-

(-and don't get me wrong, I love this fic, but-)

-it's of course correct and all right to point out that it's harder in real life not to do things that you always thought people in stories were idiots to do, and all-

-but you know, I'd still really like to see Harry decide at some point that he's not going to help Quirrell compound the mess any further, and if that moment keeps on not coming, that's going to make it. Harder. To cheer.

[There must be some TV trope for being denied a foreshadowed moment of awesome, right?]
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
You are delightfully twisted. Unfortunately you actually USE chapter breaks so on occasion you update more than one chapter at a time. That becomes very annoying when the site automatically sends you to the last of these new chapters. I have since learned to click on chapter 1 and then scroll down and tell I see the last chapter I remembered reading and the reread it and continue from there.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
"he had decided that he would reveal to Professor Quirrell only that the Headmaster believed that; and not say anything about the prophecy which had set Voldemort on Harry's parents, nor that the Headmaster was reconstituting the Order of the Phoenix... it was a risk, a significant risk, but Harry needed an ally in this."

Except for since Quirrel is Voldemort, he already knows about the prophecy and knows enough about Dumbledore to realize that Dumbledore will reconstitute the Order now. Harry told him the only piece of info he didn't know. Same with the Santa Claus notes, if Quirrel is the one writing them... ah, Harry thinks he's being clever but he's just playing into Quirrel's hands. Especially if he participates in the fake second killing of Voldemort...how would they set that up convincingly anyway?
Pentecost chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
I like it. Good chapter.
Jasper chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Ahh! A long awaited chapter, and very enjoyable. The tone is still pretty heavy, which is completely appropriate for the story at the moment, but I do miss the humor of the earlier chapters.
MMMMMMMA chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Awesome that you're back. I won't pressure you into a hard to keep writing schedule by saying this: after two weeks of detox without a regular hpmor fix i stopped being dependent. When the new chapter came out I was all 'nice, going to read this right now' and I enjoyed it immensely, but I'm no longer obsessively checking the page every few hours.

Your anti-procrastination submission to was awesome too btw.

I'm going to donate to the Singularity Insttitute, just so I'll make sure that sooner or later you'll start writing an equally awesome Culture fanfic. And I'll be around to read it. On Mars.
Raemon777 chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
I hope Harry does not pursue this avenue with Quirrel for long, or manages to subvert it into something that zigs sideways. I was fine with Harry going to Azkaban because it wasn't any stupider than the things he does in the original story and the whole plot had built up to it and I didn't expect it to go on for that long.

I'm still willing to buy that it's plausible for Harry to continue to work with Quirrel, because he clearly knows its dangerous and is evaluating it as such, and there are enough surrounding factors that, even though doing so IS pretty obviously the wrong thing to do, Harry has emotional reasons to do it anyway.

But although I can buy it making sense for Harry to decide to go with it, I'm not sure I can actually continue to root for him much longer if that's the case. It's just too big a disconnect between me and the character.

Also, while I understand the necessity of Harry becoming hardened and pulling away, I hope the story focuses some more on Hermione and her other friends in the mean time, to try and maintain some of the warmth we're losing.
Stygian Styx chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Great chapter!
Kitty chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
As sad as it is to admit, I was one of those people who obsessively checked for updates. So, thank you very much for saying you will only update on 7PM pacific time.
Eclipse1234 chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Welcome back
winternym chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
RATIONALITY RETURNS!
Guest chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Great chapter! It's awesome seeing new grownup harry and I'm totally pumped about him getting to stay up more, even though he's already gained so much power.
Chasing chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Beautiful work, as always ;D
Darla chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Thank you for the update! What a pleasure to get back into your characters' minds. Though I have to wonder why your Minerva isn't reacting more strongly and suspiciously to your Harry...and I agree with Harry's Hufflepuff side here.
Tuesday Next chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Yay! An update!

Oh dear, Harry doesn't see the trap Quirellmort is laying for him..
G.G chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
I don't usually thank writers for writing, but I look forward to your updates so, and so when one arrives I can't help but feel a sense of gratitude. I've gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of this fic. Thank you for writing, and please continue (at your own pace, of course).
Benquo chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
Even this short update already made my week.

And thanks for limiting the update time to 7PM PST; my perpetual mashing of the intermittent reward button has been reduced to manageable levels.

The scenes with McGonagall are breaking my heart.
Speechwriter chapter 65 . 1/3/2011
"Why does any kind of cynicism appeal to people? Because it seems like a mark of maturity, of sophistication, like you've seen everything and know better. Or because putting something down feels like pushing yourself up. Or they don't have a phoenix themselves, so their political instinct tells them there's no advantage to be gained from saying nice things about phoenixes. Or because being cynical feels like knowing a secret truth that common people don't know..."

I love this. So very much.

Good to see you back. Your Rationalitwi snippet was fantastic. Seeing those names speaking intelligent words made me chuckle quite a bit.