Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
PA chapter 68 . 5/22
Flash of gold ... eh?
Village-Mystic chapter 68 . 4/5
I'm glad you're spending so much time on Hermione's feelings.
fujisawa5 chapter 68 . 3/1
well, a stern ultimatum. Lets see.

Possibly, as others have already suggested, backup will arrive in the form of Hermione. if so an hour to prepare will need to be sufficient, those plans should not be affected adversely by this one. This ploy is a bit simplistic and direct but works with information unknown to Quirrell. The nano-thorns are a possibility, the main objective must be riddle however.
First: True patronus, which in StPE blocked AK in dramatic manner, this should give riddle pause.
Second: Oath. " I Tom riddle do swear upon my magic to" spoken in parsel, whilst calling up shared magic to bind, "obey H. G. and be loyal always to the ethics of H. G. and to never intentionally bring harm, directly or indirectly to another sentient being".
oath may vary on this theme but must be snappy. DE ordered to strike "if he speaks in human tongue or raises his wand". This hesitation will not last long.

This takes rather the long view, The DE cannot realistically kill H.G. as she now is, and seperation from magic is ideally enough of a handicap to level playing field against riddle. with resurrection on the table death is no biggie for Harry. There is potential for the patronus to affect the mark, this is unreliable. There is potential for the loss of riddle's magic to impact the mark, this is unreliable. long term however, so long as riddle is reduced to a muggle here and the DE routed at this battle an OoTP force with an immortal HG and HP as expendable shock troops is going to win eventually.
ronald.lambert.503 chapter 68 . 2/13
As for heroes and sidekicks, Samwise Gamgee was a hero equal to Frodo Baggins in LOTR, even though he was Frodo's faithful companion and sidekick.
thepkrmgc chapter 68 . 8/2/2014
I dont think ive ever seen a fic that gave tribute to the plight of those who's storys are lost to the vortex of a magnetic hero. while they are destined to do great things, their life is defined by the hero instead of their own free will. poor hermione, she didnt choose to get tangled up in Harry's issues
Brytte Mystere chapter 68 . 8/1/2014
She's being really, really stupid. Worse than Moaning Myrtle!
xan avalon chapter 68 . 7/12/2014
apropos of absolutely nothing related to this chapter, but I just saw it on facebook and thought our Glorious Leader might find it amusing, or potentially useful in parts: A Field Guide to Unusual Patronuses- /a-field-guide-to-unusual-and-hilarious-harry-potter-p-1603010251?utm_campaignsocialflow_io9_facebook&utm_sourceio9_facebook&utm_mediumsocialflow
Guest chapter 68 . 6/2/2014
This us a Great story!
Alexja2013 chapter 68 . 2/1/2014
PLOT TWIST: Hermione sees the flash if gold- it's a snitch. It makes her realize she's destined to become Ravenclaw seeker and she becomes a hero- on the quidditch pitch, that is
Grizzmon chapter 68 . 1/15/2014
Why do you want to be an hero child? Don't you understand the burden?
Guest chapter 68 . 8/6/2013
"The great oaken door in front of them with the brass griffin knocker opened without being touched.
Behind a black oaken desk with dozens of drawers ... "Of course," said Professor McGonagall, and Hermione felt the hand on her shoulder gently turning her around to face the oaken door."

I ween there is NO point in telling you that Repetition is proof of a Redundant Imagination.

"Oaken" ... another one of those idiotic words like "elfish" [a medieval fish?] ... that Tolkien-types take for genuine "Anglo-Saxon" [a mythic 'language' if ever there was one].

THIS particular fan fic, like all the others, should simply be called "Of Heroes and Minions (with a few "Collateral Damaged" Incidental People)."
Guest chapter 68 . 8/6/2013
uhmmm ... Point of Fact: "The world around us redunds with opportunities."

There is no such word as "redunds".
Presumably you meant "redounds" Mr Superior Intellect?
But, even that is a very poor choice of word ... Might I suggest: a Thesaurus?
tot chapter 68 . 6/20/2013
The characterization of Hermione's interests seems very lacking. As such a brilliant student, she should have more developed academic interest towards a certain field or fields. She's old enough when she enters Hogwarts to have done science fairs, or debate teams, or math camps. Instead, in this story she remains a bland perfect student with no specialization, and she isn't even used here for expository info like she is in the books.
L.E chapter 68 . 6/7/2013
Really intersting chapter, especially from Hermione's perspective.
Kkkkk chapter 68 . 3/4/2013
Люблю этот фик!
SKT chapter 68 . 11/24/2012
I'll admit, I had a very difficult time adapting to the nature of your fan fiction (hey, I'd been reading so much fluff before this) but my mind was and is quite blown. The psychology and science used in this is exceptionally intriguing in conjunction with a magical world, especially since I recognize a few principles. I don't know if you know of Ender's Game (who am I kidding, you probably do) but there are so many parallels to that story, it makes me feel that feeling of "this is good hard logic at its best and it's confusing and scary and yet it is." So yes, a delightful read so far: the fact that it explains various experiments and ideas and provokes people to really think about things in their own lives is irreplaceable.

I'm commenting on this chapter particularly because despite all the bursting into tears that has occurred by this point, I was actually moved to shed a few at Hermione's predicament here. Despair at falling behind, resentment for not being chosen as a "hero", desperation in the search for ways to become a godlike figure in other's eyes, are all feelings that I can understand and have felt. Having someone who you may or may not respect completely upstaging you is more than just humiliating, there is a sense of you having betrayed yourself for not being as good as your rival. I've fallen from the track, so that's why I suppose these issues resonate with me, though the very excellent writing surely helped.

I know my comment will be drowned by thousands of others and that you will probably never read this. And yet, here is this futile attempt to demonstrate my thoughts to a stranger through this amazing medium of the internet. Typical human thing to do, no?

I wonder what your life must be like, what your personality must be like, to have been able to write this.

Thank you very much. Here's to enjoying the rest of this crazy ride.

SKT
W.Kathy chapter 68 . 10/31/2012
Hermione Granger, singular most self-absorbed twelve year old I've ever met. It's not always just about ME ME ME. Her priority is still herself, of being in her own story, showing her 'strengths' without others shadowing her. She may know how to lose, but she knows NOTHING about sacrifice.

Yeah, I reckon as a twelve year old she's rather mature, and with her intellect, it's normal to want to be seen as a 'hero'. But rather than giving stupid excuses about "I don't know who could help", or "how can I be equal" etc, just learn more about the magical world you are in now. Does she think that she has read ALL the books in Hogwarts and she can learn everything from books? Going to authority figures asking to be spoon-fed so that she can be trained the same way like Harry? Then let me pose the question - what have you done for the magical world that makes you deserve to be given whatever training or knowledge you want?

I also hate the way she thinks she has to be equal or stand by her own right or else she can't be friends with Harry. Then in the first place DON'T BE FRIENDS with him! Don't make him care for you, then turn around and say "sorry I don't want to be swallowed by your shadow, you're on your own now" whenever you feel frigging inferior or 'unseen'. Harry is going to be hurt over and over again by this stupid bint. Please have another character be his friend, rather than Hermione. I really like your story but I can't stand Granger.
TheFireBreathingChicken chapter 68 . 8/27/2012
cani jist sayvthat right now i HATE hermione. shes being such a whingy little brat
voodooqueen126 chapter 68 . 8/2/2012
Well, this almost seems to parallell the way girls outperfom boys academically until puberty.
Yet Dumbledore's words were true... He sounds less insane in Hermione's POV than in Harry's
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 68 . 7/3/2012
Ugh, your Hermione's a bi-atch. I wouldn't abandon Harry because he's better at things - I'd LEARN from him and be better in my own way -_-
Finariona chapter 68 . 4/21/2012
Interesting take on Hermione's personal reactions to being the friend of Harry the Hero. Come to think of it, her characterization in canon seems less realistic than what you just wrote. Hermione is strong-willed and ambitious in both your fic and in canon. It should be her in canon, and not Ron, who undergoes the throes of jealousy or the pangs of ambition. Yet in canon, she is always level-headed and Ron gets all the Jealous Friend scenes.

What you wrote in this chapter reminded me that Hermione, being more able and stronger than other characters (except Malfoy perhaps), should be the one wishing to challenge Harry's dominance over his entourage-not Ron. Not to say that weak-willed characters cannot be jealous, but it makes sense that Hermione would be uneasy about just following Harry. Ron fits the sidekick role more easily. Then again, in canon Harry is much less dominant than in this fic, and so Hermione would have less cause to experience the frustration of being shown up.

The conversation with Dumbledore was a bit confusing-Dumbledore was exceptionally non-weird and reasonable. (Though still prentending to Sound Wise in a pompous way... ha!) It seems he has different personalities in this fic, depending on who he is talking to. Perhaps your representation of him evolved since you started this fic? At the beginning he was positively crackish.

Did you just drop a hint when Dumbledore said ''Someone made of sterner stuff than I, to make the hard decisions, and yet worthy to lead me. I thought, once, that I knew such a man, but I was mistaken... '' ? Is this someone that will enter the story at a later point? Or was he simply reminiscing about his friendship with Grindelwald as a teenager?
Sage of wind Dragons chapter 68 . 4/3/2012
Hey! Imjust curious but harry is supposed to be an enlghtenment right? will their be any Romanticism charecter? also the white man burden thingsorry no looking back harry doesnt have an imperilsit mind set but I think He has some Humbris the whole I can do it beter than anyone else to asume an eleven year old!(I thought teenagers were supposed to know everything) that he knows so much its cute really and the funny part is he probably can do some things better be intresting to see if he can learn to draw lines but if he could od that this might get a wee boreing honestly askeing a rationalist to be sensible Ha! (that was a joke. dont burn me alive) I think that you dumped to much information on him but oh well to eacth their own
Guest chapter 68 . 4/3/2012
"Someone made of sterner stuff than I, to make the hard decisions, and yet worthy to lead me. I thought, once, that I knew such a man, but I was mistaken."

...Mr. For the Greater Good, wasn't it. That's more than a little heart-breaking.
Evvlashteh chapter 68 . 2/17/2012
"She left the Defense Professor's office with a larger army, and less dignity, and feeling a lot like a sad little bug that had just been squished, and trying very very hard not to cry."

There *was* a sad little bug that the Defense Professor quite literally squished earlier in the story. One that went by the name of Rita Skeeter. I hope that little line isn't actually referencing that event...I'd be most unhappy if Hermione is Lord Voldemort's next victim in this story!

Leah. Updates are always at 7:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, so you only have to check once a day.
DamionKenley117 chapter 68 . 11/12/2011
This leaves me no choice. General Potter, you will select eight soldiers from your army, including at least one Chaotic Lieutenant, to be divided among Dragon Army and the Sunshine Regiment -"

No fair! Youve read Ender's Game too!
AR chapter 68 . 9/23/2011
It is very difficult to live in someone's shadow. To love them and resent them and hate yourself while you are facing a world of turmoil. When all you really did wrong was wish you could be just a little bit of you and have that be enough.

She is right...it is not fair to have be the boy's friend just because he doesnt have anyone else. The hardest thing is to walk away...and while many will not understand that..sometime it is ok to be selfish.

If I could speak to her right now..I would tell her she is not wrong.

12 years old...she grew up a little today as well.

Great writing..one of my favorite chapters.
RandomKid chapter 68 . 9/8/2011
Is this a typo: "The world around us redunds with opportunities, explodes with opportunities, which nearly all folk ignore because it would require them to violate a habit of thought" ?

Otherwise great story.
Bittersweet Freedom chapter 68 . 7/17/2011
I understand what you're doing and why: you want us to look at things from Hermoine's point of view, but ftbjhzrgifsafjklk - I can't find within myself to sympathize with her. I think she's being incredibly selfish and childish.

And I get thar she's supposed to be childish because she's only 12 and whatnot, but... well, I myself have never been particularly ambitious and have never really relished the role as leader/hero/person who everyone is depending upon even when I was little... That could be why I can't sympathize. I'd probably have been sorted into Hufflepuff.

Well, knowing you you've probably found some way to redeem her and make me love her again, so I've probably written this for nothing... Then again might be for her not to be redeemed so Harry has nothing holding him back from siding with Quirell who I love so much. :D
egg chapter 68 . 6/29/2011
You really have to find a way to do this full-time; I'm Jonesing for a new chapter.
Slayer End chapter 68 . 5/28/2011
More... more...!

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
Lugnut chapter 68 . 4/15/2011
This story is just amazing.

Keep it up!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 68 . 4/12/2011
Yessssss.
Kutta chapter 68 . 4/5/2011
Great chapter
Mar17swgirl chapter 68 . 3/22/2011
Ummm, this is a minor thing, but the symbol of Ravenclaw is NOT a raven, but an eagle. ;)
ARMH chapter 68 . 2/28/2011
I didn't like this chapter so much, at least not after they left Quirrell's office. Hermione seems really needy, and it isn't like she can just ask them to make her into a hero. What did she expect?
lowasser chapter 68 . 2/28/2011
Oooooh, subtlety!

Thoughts:

-Quirrell pushed Tracey at *least* as surely as Dumbledore pushed Hermione.

-Hermione should be smart enough to just cite the "Don't Be Evil" first rule of being a heroine.

-Is the goal here to set up an opposition for Harry and Hermione, albeit charged with gender issues and other fun stuff?
Madi chapter 68 . 2/23/2011
You have no idea how excited I was when I saw this had been updated.
ejhawman chapter 68 . 2/16/2011
Hermione not feeling nice OR good. Haven't been reading Wordhammer, have you? Good is not the same thing as nice, but at least she already knows the difference.

Quirrell properly explains her failure. This early in her magic career, there will be many failures, even as talented as she is; her aptitude only goes so far, but it should mean she should learn quickly and not make the same mistake twice. She might already be getting the idea that she should spend the sumer familiarizing herself with Harry's body of knowledge.

Quirrell declares Harry to be too powerful a force in himself, and not needing so many soldiers. Some battles are not won by numbers, so he still has a chance to pwn the others. But maybe Quirrell should be considering moving Harry up through the years - have him join the second years, then the third, etc.

Harry gets angry when Quirrell presumes he was holding back. Often that way with children, adults can be quick to apply shame or guilt or generally be hard on kids without properly finding out everything going on in the child's hear. Quirrell is not perfect. Voldy, OTOH, shouldn't have a clue...

Endless Stair enchant - you may be making the wrong presumption here on what it looks like. Probably JKR wasn't fully thinking it through when she described it as a merely revolving spiral; I took it to mean a spiral escalator effect, with the stairs both rotating and elevating.

Hermione consults with McG rather than Flitwick. She needs a mother figure to look up to - but would she bond quicker with McG, the stern authoritarian, than with Sprout? If she's going outside her house, does it matter?

They consult Dumbledore, who has much to say about heroes - it being his particular field of experience. Good point that heroes are supposed to have HARD lives, that those who look up to them are much more comfortable being around them, depending on them, than the heroes are in navigating their situations.

Not sure a cliffhanger was necessary at this point -
hp4all chapter 68 . 2/3/2011
I am trying to figure out if LV possesses Quirrel in this story. There are many changes: Scabbers was a rat, Sirius was a traitor, Petunia married soemone decent. Oh, Narcissa is dead, Bella is not married. Also, Quirrel is not wearing turban, Harry's scar does not hurt in his presence.

On the other hand, we know that the canon LV was very patient and laid in waiting for a year to retrieve the prophecy. Perhaps Quirrel is also trying to get a measure of Harry, by pushing him all the time. Know your enemy and all that.

Quirrel asked Harry once where would he hide items if noone meant to find them (looking to relocate the horcruxes, perhaps?). Their magics are incompatible, but I remember LV landing a Cruciatus on Harry (albeit after the ritual).

The jury is still out for Quirrel.
w chapter 68 . 2/1/2011
Fluff, though 69's explanation of D redeem it somewhat. More Draco. Exclamation marks and Q do not mix, I think. MM -200 rocks. The Endless Stair must be a hint, which I as usual don't get. Growing up quotes are nice. So is the suspense.
Multipartite chapter 68 . 2/1/2011
*smiles* It's pleasant for me tor realise that Harry's answer in certain ways strongly resembles the Ravenclaw answer of 'through ignorance and lack of thought', considering that presumably the way to deal with absorbed/regurgitated biases is knowledge and thought (or if not, then rationalists who seek to overcome some of their own assumed biases (redundant?) are doomed from the start).
PhiJ chapter 68 . 1/29/2011
Nice chapter.

Quirrell starts to look stupid again in this chapter (doesn't he realise that Harry has a non-dark side? That whatever he tried to do when Harry was tiny probably didn't quite work as expected?) but I'm sure he's acting that way to manipulate Harry. Oh, and I've only just realised the above, and it explains a lot.

And YES I AM HERMIONE! (pretty much, but I am male and 22, and tempted to be neutral, not bad.) I thought it was great the way you portray the struggles between doing good and doing what you want. Even though they're often not as far apart as you (sorry, I) think.
funvince chapter 68 . 1/29/2011
This was one of my favorite chapters in this story. You wrote Hermione's turmoil very well and I can really sympathize with her predicament about wanting to be her own person. I also thought you did a good job of writing Dumbledore as a mysterious old wizard. That works much better than the barmy old codger you had him as before a while back.

And I disagree with McGonagall's assessment. Dumbledore told Hermione what she needed to hear. Life isn't fair. You can't always be the best. Actions have consequences. But it's still your choice as to what type of person you want to be and what kind of life you want to live.

I find myself more fascinated by Hermione's story than Harry's by this point. I enjoy reading your version of Harry Potter but there are times that he is so alien as a person that I find it hard to identify with him. Hermione is also intelligent but not freakishly so and it's easier to empathize with her pain about the gap between her and whatever Harry is. It's the same with Draco. The growing pains he's going through as he struggles to adjust his worldview makes him a fascinating character to read about.
Eclipse1234 chapter 68 . 1/28/2011
Looks like there's no avoiding the SPHEW...
Demented Kat chapter 68 . 1/28/2011
At first I thought the flash of gold was Harry throwing himself off Ravenclaw tower...I was so sure that was it...
Ged chapter 68 . 1/27/2011
Oh Harry, remember what happened the last time you jumped to conclusions based on what Quirrel said?

As much as the wargames seem to be set up to make Harry strong in some areas they seem to be designed to reinforce selective blind-spots; get him thinking in a certain way about the abilities of other people.

“Why am I different?”

Would you trust the answer? That's one question.

Why do you think you are? Is, I think, the far more useful one.

If you're weak and lose a lot it's obvious and you start looking for ways to address it - but if you've found an answer, especially a flattering one, and are deprived of data that contradicts that answer...

In this chapter a lot of Quirrel's long term planning seems to be paying off.

Harry's being deprived of the chance to develop the talents of his most powerful allies. Not just in terms of the absence of their friendship with the knock-on effect on his emotional state, but in terms of the practice of working with them, the time to do so, the reflective input they might have provided to help each other get better.

The old adage that friends weaken and enemies strengthen overlooks a lot of subtleties. One needs both a creative and a testing aspect in order to grow. It's interesting that Harry doesn't seem to know *why* his thinking works sometimes and doesn't others.

Good chapter. Some characters aren't being very smart – but they're being believably thick, which is an incredibly rare thing in literature.

Thanks for the story, by the way.
TJeanetteT chapter 68 . 1/27/2011
Awesome chapter! Loved loved loved. Flash of gold? Timeturner?
AFM chapter 68 . 1/27/2011
I have to admit, your writing is captivating and thought provoking. As near as I can tell, you seem to be quite influenced by Orson Scott Card and his book Ender's Game, though you're creating a character who has adult mentor's, though becomes afraid of what he can do, and refuses to go all the way in fear of what he'll become. In many ways this is very much a good companion novel to Card's book. I really can't give even so much as a back handed compliment. The book isn't by any means perfect and there are plot points that I disagree with, however these are very much personal preferences rather than disagreements of style and thought. Please continue to write, I truly enjoy every moment of it.
byakuya232 chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
friken AWESOME! plz make more and that this isn't an abandoned story... P
ExtremelyLargeValues225 chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Awesome fanfic.

The suspense is incredible.

It's a nice change for Harry to be smart.
atymer chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Even with all the changes in his early life, Harry is still at the mercy of the machinations of the 'adults' surrounding him. I for one can not believe that even in this circumstance Dumpy can be oblivous to his defense teacher, but he is intent on using everybody and everything, even the enemy to train his weapon. Even though he fears Harry now, as much as Voldy's return. Fear dominates everyone's actions. I think Harry has turned a willful blind eye to the identity of his teacher, Harry knows and dares!

I am sure Voldy's ultimate goals are the same, but why all this? He has no feelings, no reason that I can see to extend himself in the directions he has so far. Taking his devoted servant from the prison can be for the reasons everyone expects it to be. After all a catatonic right hand is rather useless.

All I have left is paranoia and the suspicion that comes with it. I know we will find out where this all leads and I am hoping soon.
Blazen chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
You love Hermione. You really love her. A little too much, maybe. But still you story is very interesting
anon chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
You can't please everyone.
Reader chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Cliffhanger! Friend or Foe be the golden flash?
badkidoh chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Well this chapter was just alright.
Tobias chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
I really like this story. Of course some of the pleasure stems from the fact that I have read the original books but it is overall very well written.

The only complaint I have is that the rationality evangelisation is a bit thick in some parts, imho the story would have been stronger if the writer dared to admit some weaknesses of the rational world-view in general instead of only HP's personal weaknesses which mostly seem to revolve around him not being rational enough...
Curly chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
I find these emotionally-charged chapters flat and unaffecting. I can see that they're in character and important to the plot and all, but they don't sparkle. No-one says anything clever, nothing unexpected happens. In this story they just feel like dead spots in the text. After all, Harry Potter and the Methods of Shouting at People is a story any fanfiction author could write.
Shadowhawke chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
Loved this. I think it's really, really rare that 'designated secondary characters' get their own voice, and this was beautifully expressed and made everyone all around seem very human and fallible and awesome. It's sad to see Harry potentially get left behind and 'lose' when he won, but I really like that this break happened too. Beautifully done. So glad to see Hermione get her own voice and be able to express her own desires to be a hero.

Hope the speaking went well! I'm sure it was amazing. :D
Caramel Life chapter 68 . 1/26/2011
I loved this chapter. Was Elizabeth Beckett a reference to Pirates of the Carribean, by the way? Anyway, I really enjoyed reading about Harry's tactical victory, and Quirrel rubbing it in Herm's face how badly she sucks compared to Harry. Will Harry be going on another adventure with Quirrel soon? I'd love to see Bella back, and is Harry going to be on Voldemort's side? Anyway, I can't wait for what happens next, update sooner rather than later.
Reader chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
If I have you for a friend, will I always be afraid to do better because I know it will hurt your feelings? That's not fair, Hermione!

I know I said I was invincible

Neville was the first to say that they are invincible!

I really hope Harry and Hermione will become friends, and Hermione will be on a par with Harry, and Hermione will make Harry less despondent, because both Draco and Quirrell are quite dark, and there weren't any meetings of Bayesian Conspiracy for a long time, and Quirrell is weak/tired lately and over-plotting. Harry really needs somebody who wouldn't abuse Harry's confidence by plotting behind Harry's back (like Quirrell is plotting don't-know-what because Quirrell knows almost everything Harry knows; and Draco also has his own goals, also unclear).

Professor Quirrell had praised General Malfoy for not ignoring his thousand alternatives

That's because of Harry's lessons to Draco, I suppose.

Yes, Hermione was lasy, and not thinking enough, and not doing the right thing for too long time. She just tried to hide from herself thoughts about Harry's loneliness, and obstinately continued to fight him, thinking that beating him would turn clock back and automatically return softer Harry. She just ignored growing-up harder Harry as too self-assured to speak with. She hadn't tried hard enough to speak with him, to go and grow up with him, to remind him to continue studying magic (she knows he managed to learn partial Transfiguration this way), to relieve him from at least part of the burden. I remember, she spoke with him about Fawkes before he went to visit Quirrell and heard his offer about an impostor, but I hardly remember her speaking with Harry after that.

wondering if there was anyone else in Hogwarts who would give her a chance to be a hero

Harry Potter, of course! Remember the case when Hermione told to him that students are too young for studying magic seriously and doing discoveries, and he stubbornly performed partial transfiguration? I hope that he doesn't tell her "you are too young"; his only objection could be "it's too dangerous", but I doubt he tells it aloud; and he will certainly be glad to speak with Hermione again. Hermione running away from him must have saddened him greatly and reminded him how lonely he is.

I hope Fawkes (the flash of gold?) tells her to go to Harry Potter.

Thanks for chapter 68!

She doesn't want to be the best in the world. She just knows that she always was the best, and that her interaction with Harry makes archievements pass unnoticed. Everybody tells "Harry this", "Harry that", and Hermione is mentioned only as the one "whom Harry had won over easily in the latest battle" or "the only one whom Harry cares about" or "the one who defeated Harry in the battle" or something like that. And when you go away from Harry and the rumours don't stop, it becomes annoying. But when Hermione returns to Harry (please, don't leave him alone!), she will understand that it doesn't matter what people think about you; it only matters what you have done, why you have done it, whom you are turning yourself into, whom you have helped, and whom you have left behind.

Dont listen to the haters, this chapter was quite central and awesome :)

Agree completely.

Hermione was paid attention to, she is used to it. It's not her fault, and she tries to get rid of it ("I don't want to be a hero"). I hope she becomes Harry's friend and stops showing off and continues studying hardly. Real Harry's friend, who can replace Fawkes, and cheer him up, so that he would be able to put the Dark Lord out of his head for at least some time.

And yes, I don't know what is going on in Draco's head anymore. Would like to see more about him.

Also, nice trick by Quirrel to break friendships, put pressure on Harry, AND take advantage of a vulnerable Hermione.

I haven't seen it until I read the reviews. Well, Quirrell is probably hoping that Harry will get tired of hard work and go to Quirrell for a way out. But it will have the opposite effect. Harry will hone his skills. And I hope that Hermione will be Harry's friend again. The most difficult thing will be to stay friends with Draco.

What about Chaos separating into many separate pairs of soldiers and leaving one group of three soldiers as honey (remember the compasses) for other armies? They will need good signalling systems, but they could easily deceive all the armies. Especially if most soldiers used Disillusionment and Polyjuice. It would be an easy win. But you will need to practice shields in order not to be revealed.

Hermione wears makeup? - The most irrelevant and intriguing question.

unless he can keep coming up with new ways to not-quite-break the rules

There are always ways to work around the rules!

an imprint of your personality is usually not as inventive as you in reality.

"not hold back for any reason - particularly not childish frets over what your friends might think!" - Quirrell reminds Harry about their earlier dialogue. And pushes Harry to the scheme about impostor. It's silly! Quirrell still doesn't see that Harry isn't simply staying in Hogwarts and studying, Harry is studying to find and fight real Voldemort if he is alive!

Well, I suppose it's not unexpected that Quirrel is demanding more of Harry in class, since he's well aware of Harry's feats in, shall we say, extra-curricular activities. At least this way he has a plausible excuse for increasing Harry's challenges. The only question is why he (or Voldemort) would want a more competent Harry Potter. He *must* realize they'll face each other someday, and surely one of the Evil Overlord Rules is to destroy a future enemy early on, while still vulnerable, rather than wait until they become a formidable foe.

Well, probably Quirrell wants Harry Potter to open Chamber of Secrets for him, now that Quirrell is so weak.
Ijoan chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
This was a really great chapter. I can empathize with Hermione but I really hope that she won't abandon harry. I feel that when he's around her he shows a lot more...human and childlike emotions. He's more vulnerable and insecure which makes me like this story more because it keeps him from becoming overly self confident and righteous, unrealistic and annoying. Sorry for that short rant but it really annoys me when I read a story in which harry is so perfect compared to everyone else and his friends are completely fine with staying in his shadow and don't try to do anything that's truly independent. Also, don't worry about people complaining about Hermione, she's just a little girl and this is your story. Besides I like your characterization of her.
sesskagluver09 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
great chapter, love your work, moar soon yah?
Loonynamelass chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hermione-centric chapter, which is nice but a bit depressing. I really do want an answer, now, to Harry's enormous question to Quirrel: "Why am I not like other boys my age?" (or, if that's not verbatim, then forgive me for my error).
madbrad chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
I'm a big H/Hr fan and I've read many stories where she's supported and loved Harry as an equal; unlike the canon where Harry was the numero uno person/hero 'just because'. Even if Hermione did a majority of the work. DH was depressing in how Hermione defers to Harry several times even though she should have, and did, know better. But even so she sticks by him.

So this chapter has me worried, given as how you have Hermione considering a split from Harry. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no!

Hopefully, given this news of the burden that Harry is carrying, she can be truly selfless and not abandon her friend, not deprive him of her friendship. Still, I appreciate the drive to excel, to be 'herself', that's motivating her.

I do hope you keep them together; I hope this 'flash of gold' is perhaps some way to make Hermione an equal player. These two deserve each other; Harry desperately needs someone to help him share his burdens, I think.

Thank you for continuing your story.
braindoll chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Well, that's very good.

Mostly, my reviews focus on trying to find what could be fixed in the story. It's a great story, so I focus on the exceptions, the parts that are just good. Last chapter, I focused on the fact that Sunshine had essentially no strategy worked out before the battle, just some tactics. I proposed a strategy which could easily have been created without knowledge of Harry's tricks, and which would have resulted in a Sunshine win - even despite Hermione's very-believable tactical mistakes in the moment.

But this chapter makes it worth it. I can accept that Hermione, while awesome, is not up to the anvil-chorus treatment; so while she should have won THAT battle, I can understand that she could easily have lost SOME battle. And it's good to see Gryffindor get some love. Also, Fawkes.

So... no nitpicks this time. Well done.
William H. Stoddard chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
You know, this is a good portrait of Hermione, and persuasive, and I find her position sympathetic, and Hermione is my favorite character from the actual books . . . and yet: I'm not quite satisfied to find the spotlight on her in this particular way. What is Draco thinking and doing through all this? Is he just being shoved onto the sidelines? I find myself wondering why this version of Dumbledore doesn't have some mad plot involving Draco being Harry's double, or why this Draco doesn't figure out that he needs to turn for advice to Dumbledore (no matter how he loathes him) or Snape or, well. . . .

Because, after all, this is the story of Harry courting both H and D, at the same time. And even trying to bring them together. And yet now we see H off by herself, not doing things together with D. What's up with that?
braindoll chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Well, that's very good.

So... no nitpicks this time. Well done.
Forsake chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
One chapter is enough to make my day

I'm really curious what will happen if Harry is forced to do as much as he can. I have no doubt it will be as brilliant as always.

And Hermione... I can only hope that you're not intending to make her do something stupid - though it would be, on the other hand understandable, she's only twelve, right? But, in fact, I was rather Harry-style-child and never could stand when characters made obvious mistakes, that's why I hope that Hermione will make her best.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Wonderful, deep and sad.

A very good chapter indeed, even regarding your standards.
jdboss1 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hermione is the best this was

this seem just right i wood think the same if i was 11 and Hermione

an IQ that hi and still have to be a sidekick wood piss you right off

i think it cheasing that harry get more time a DAY and Hermione dont give them the same Time and Hermione Will do much better then harry

just make this Kiss Sooon that so funney to read

it 8pm and wood of love to of came and see youe talk at Oxford

do you no if it on youtube?
Nitpicker chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hermione remembered the stunner hex, allegedly from reading it in a book, even though the Edict of Merlin prevents spells from being passed on other than from person to person. Similarly, there was the case earlier where a Gryffindor used what sounded like sectumsempra after having read it in a book. What gives?

In the first battle, Sunshine army wiped the floor with the other two armies thanks to her introduction of staff command, allowing her to better harness everyone in her armies' creativity. Now, suddenly, Chaos Legion, which does not seem to have fully adopted staff command, is winning - in this case due to one technological innovation. I find this implausible, especially since there are supposed to be armies for each year taking Battle Magic. I would expect ideas to percolate mostly downward from the more experienced wizards to the less experienced wizards. Admittedly, Harry, Draco, and Hermione are all somewhat exceptional, and the RULES of the battles limit the applicability of standard military wizarding tactics, but still . . . Even Ender in Ender's Game found a straight up large numerical disadvantage impossible to beat directly - he had to finesse the rules instead.

I love this series. Have you considered doing something, er, more commercial? Obviously you can't commercialize fanfic, but if you could support yourself from your writing, you could devote more time to it, which would be a service indeed to this devoted fan.
JohnJ chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Please don't turn this into Ender's Game. I like all of the threads you've woven, but destroying Harry's army to make him stronger and more inventive is just too similar. There seem to be other avenues to take. However since I don't know where you are heading, maybe this is necessary.

I much preferred reading the first 67 chapters in one piece. Commenting on each chapter is odd. How do the other reviewers do it? I'll keep watching.
Zicou chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
continuuuuuue!

Z.
Luiz4200 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
I wonder what Hermione thinks being 'me' stands for.
gR chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Interesting development in a great great story! I wonder if the Headmaster is only playing his official crazy wrong-genre-savvy part here? And then goes and helps Hermione secretly.

Or maybe Fawkes is acting alone, this would be even more awesome! :)
Animekitty47 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Aw, so many people hate Hermione now. :( Yes, she's whiny, and I'm probably biased cuz I like Hermione, but its not like its completely out of left field for your Hermione to do this. There's plenty of foreshadowing.

Since I've skimmed the reviews I'll skip over Quirrelmort driving a part Harry and Hermione (uh-oh!) and just say that Hermione's "I don't want glory I just want to be me." bit confuses me because she then corrects herself that she does want to be a hero, so is she sorta lying to herself? Or would hypocritical be a better word? Canon!Hermione certianly had that problem. *cough*Book6*cough* Your Dumbledore bugs me. On the level of 'this is a story' he makes sense, but in-universe they don't know they're wandering around in story so Dumbledore is just crazy and annoying and why would anyone listen to someone who says "Sorry, you're not hero material. Have fun being a sidekick. Or random bystander #5. Your choice! PS. If you pick B you might be responsible for the Hero's Start of Darkness. No pressure though." ;)

Crazy, crazy Dumbledore. *shakes head* Or he just breaks the foruth wall and no on realizes so they assume he's insane...I think that's my new theory on your Dumbledore. XP
cocain2 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
OMG and I thought that Ron was a jealous git in books,but he's got nothing on this version of for the love of God just reduce her role in the story like you did with Hagrid.I simply can't stand the way Harry turns into a crying loser everytime she's even mildly upset with character has gone so far past the point of annoying that I can barely even read this otherwise great story.I know she's just 12 and being childish is normal but I doubt many people want to read about the growing pains of a twelve year old girl,yet this is turning into a major part of the storyline.I agree that character development is important but the way you are handling this is just painfully annoying for I the only one who was thinking "Fluff" while reading this chapter!
Dain chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Wow, no-one looked particularly good in this chapter. Quirrelmort finally found a way to drive a real wedge between Hermione and Harry. Ironically, contrary to his previous attempts, he used Hermione as the weak link - and it worked!

What I don't understand is how two battles were enough for Quirrel to decide that Harry had become too strong, even though he essentially cheated and they had dozens of battles before that (where we never saw Chaos win). That seems to me to be a bit heavy-handed, along with the sudden nerfing of the previously "perfect" Hermione and the corresponding leveling-up of Harry. It would have felt more natural if you had alluded to more than just two battles (one of which Chaos didn't even win) and the turnaround in Hermione's and Harry's relationship hadn't been an instant 180 (previously, it was almost always Hermione who triumphed in their competitions).

Hermione seems to have reverted to being a spoiled immature prodigy kid - I've serious trouble relating to her viewpoint of not wanting to be in the shadow of someone else, of wanting to be the "bestest and uniquest snowflake" in the world. It's one of life's many lessons that no matter how good and intelligent you are, inevitably there is going to be someone else who is better than you at something. That simple truth might sting and you might feel jealous, but denial won't help you either. Apparently, Hermione didn't have to learn that lesson yet.

Is everyone automatically someone else's possession merely for not being in first place? By that logic, what she really wanted was for Harry and everyone else to be her possession...her whole philosophy seems extremely hypocritical and self-centered. Exactly the same applies for her wish to "be a hero" - I hope for her sake that she doesn't come to regret that childish wish.

Dumbledore's genre-savy rambling was once again funny, yet unhelpful and counterproductive. Noone does the Dumbledore trope better than you. :)
Raven3182 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Awwww... That was a touching chapter. I hope Hermione gets to be a hero too. But more than that, I hope that she doesn't abandon Harry; that would be bad.

I do think that Dumbledore was right about one thing: we do become who we are meant to be by doing what is right. Well put.
Elle chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
"makeup washed away". REALLY? Dude, she's only twelve, she's at school... and she 's Hermione! She does NOT wear makeup!
Wen repaer chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hermione is the worst character of all time. She was presented as the extremely intelligent person that she usually is but she doesn't realize that she can't beat Harry at his own game. During the battle she tried to pull that super hermione BS which Is completely outrageous, something chaos would likely employ. Instead of thinking of a way to to dispel the armor she tries some ridiculous scheme. And now she's bitching about wanting to be a hero as his equal when it's basically been established that when he really tries he'll bring the smack down on her. Obviously Hermione hasn't read into heroic Greek history where most heroes meet a grizzly end.

Personally I hope she goes insane with the need to be recognized and gets herself killed or at the least seriously maimed.

Also i'd love to see more Draco, he's one of my favorite characters in this story and I feel like he's been over shadowed by Hermione and frankly ever chapter she's in just reiterates the fact that she's just a kid who wants to be paid attention to. she will never be a hero because the first rule of being a real hero is that you never wanted to be a hero. Only children want to be 'heroes'. Adults go through everyday of life praying they'll never be put in a situation where they have to be a hero.
Froggie chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Oh Hermione, the most lovable of them all. It's a joy to read her story.
timunderwood9 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
"I'm Harry's mysterious old wizard"

lol

Dumbledore is a maniac.
Darkly Dreaming chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
ARGH! What flash of gold? It's not a snitch. That would be stupid; they're indoors.

Can't wait for the next update!

~*SRC*~
mikhail-ling chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hello! It's been a while.

What Hermione went through reminded me of Fight Club, somewhat. I wonder how many people go through life thinking that they are a beautiful and unique snowflake. I wonder what happens when (if) they realise that we are just a part of the same compost pile.

Kudos on the new chapter, at any rate. Great chapter! Loved the characterisation.
Sarshi chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
What the bleep, Dumbledore? Cloud Cuckoo Lander, that one. Genre-savvy, indeed. -_-
HerrSchmidt chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Here's hoping Harry takes advantage of two major things.

One - A Chaos Army Bingo Night to determine the "winners" who get sent to the other side.

Two - Harry takes advantage of the fact that his former forces won't be trusted, leading to a chance to use them against the Armies.

With luck, your later chapters will have even more interesting things to see.
firedraygon chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hermione! I'm really happy for this chapter, to let her grow a bit more as her own character. Fantastic work. Please write more soon!

~fd97
Rosa Mundi chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Yes. I like the idea of heroic Hermione and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Work Designer chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Loved the self actualisation series and this update was profound. Gives a real sense of how well-rounded people live in a fictional universe in the midst of legendary threats.

Wait a minute, you're seeking to save the world in the real world, too. Wow! I never actually thought about it this way. Thanks, Eliezer, for sharing your heart's feelings, or an extremely good simulation of the same. I wish Harry well in his quest, but almost infinitely more, wish you the very best in your quest to prevent the annihilation of Goodness from our universe.
Last Alchemist chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Superb chapter. This well displays the stage of the emotional and intellectual journey Hermione has to go through at this point.

Eventually Hermione needs to understand that being a companion and helper to a hero like Harry does not necessarily preclude her becoming a hero in her own right. In LOR Samwise Gamgee appeared to superficial observers to be nothing more than a "sidekick" to Frodo. But he was more, he was a true friend, loyal and faithful and willing to commit himself whole-heartedly to honoring his promise to Gandalf look after Frodo. Toward the end of the story, though, what was revealed is that Sam truly was a hero too, maybe even a greater hero than Frodo. When Sam reached the lower level of the steps and found the elven bread that had landed there-obviously after Gollum had cast it down there, Frodo put aside the terrible hurt he had suffered when Frodo turned against him and ordered him to go home, and realized Frodo was in danger and needed help, and he charged back up the stairway. He fought off Shelob, he entered the tower where the Orcs had taken Frodo, and rescued Frodo. When Frodo proclaimed, "I may not be able to carry the ring-but I can carry you!" and picked up his friend and carried him up the slope of Mt. Doom, then Sam triumphed and showed his own true heroism.

Hermione need not be eclipsed by Harry, if she becomes a true friend and companion, a helper who is even willing to risk sacrificing herself.

The only thing is, Hermione needs to learn Harry's mission, that Voldemort is not really dead and gone, but that Harry will have to face him eventually. Like Frodo's quest with the ring, when Hermione learns the tremendous importance of Harry's quest-upon which depends the survival of the Wizarding World as a free community not tyrannized by evil-and the danger that he faces, she will see that both she and Harry have a higher calling to answer, a higher mission to follow, greater in importance than either or both of them. Then she will have no question that helping Harry as his friend and faithful, loyal companion is the ultimate "right thing" for her to do.
FaeBreeze chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Oooh, exciting! Fantastically written as always, keep up the good work!
Lady Hamlet chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hmmm, I wonder if this is good or bad. I do find Hermione the most easy character in your story to relate to, though. Who doesn't want to be a hero?
irdgad chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
interesting chapter... its refreshing to read of a Dumbledore who is willing to say things straight out... The twisted hints given in most stroies were getting to be very boring...

Very nice to see Hermione is not willing to just sit back and be a sidekick... very interested in seeing what she will take to be her quest...
T-TrainOrTurkeyT chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Have I mentioned recently how much I love your story? I learn something new with every chapter you write. I felt highly moved by the conversation about living up to what you're supposed to be, something I believe we all struggle with every day. I feel like that was quite a significant event in this chapter and can't wait to see what happens next, especially what Hermione will do...
Lila chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hermione wears makeup?
OwlofNight chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Dont listen to the haters, this chapter was quite central and awesome :)

I liked Dracos line of thought

I loved Neville/Daphne interaction

I loved Hermiones train of thought and Dumbles train of thought as well.

Keep up the good work.
ten cent friend chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Even if she's a 12 year old, Hermione seems more than a mite hypocritical in her argument. She claims to want to be recognized by own efforts and not compared to Harry Potter, she claims she wants to be only Hermione,and she claims she is to be righteous and heroic.

At the same time, she feels that the only way she'll accept being a friend of a hero, is if she's a hero equivalent to that of her friend. Yet heroism and righteousness, I don't think, stems from the wants of the self. She's twelve, yes, but I see her as someone who is just a twelve year old and not anything else.

She wants to be renowned, she wants to be praised and she wants to rescue people and be the subject awe and admiration. She's not thinking about whether or not being Harry's friend would help Harry, she's thinking about how to be happy being Harry's friend.

It might just be me, but she's whiny as all hell.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I am impressed. The fear of /being something that belongs to something else/... that is universal, and yet it's appropriate that you've built this particular storyline around a girl character with the potential for being exceptional. Too often that is what happens with girls like Hermione- too often that is what is expected, and accepted, as a result in life for a girl like Hermione. To be an appropriate, almost equal but never quite actually equal partner to be a more powerful man.

It seems like all of your most compelling dialogue involves the Headmaster Dumbledore in some way. This and the epic Chapter 39 on pretending to be wise... although I think this may actually be better, depending on the context of what follows.

Oh, and more Draco, please! Draco's scenes so far comprise way too much freaking out over Harry's amazing feats and way too little of actually putting his people skills to use. Hermione and Draco's stories are starting to supersede Harry's in interest to me. By all means bring Harry's storyline back to vibrant life, but definitely keep building these other two.
jacobk chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I did not buy this chapter at all. It's not that long ago that Hermione was wiping the floor with Draco and Harry thanks to the Power of Teamwork. There's no reason other than authorial fiat to think that Harry's recent winning streak indicates permanent superiority-his most recent win was more of a rules hack than anything else. Good for him, he earned the win, but unless he can keep coming up with new ways to not-quite-break the rules it's not going to last forever.

The feeling I got from this chapter is that you nerfed Hermione compared to where she was earlier so that you could go through this whole self-doubt story arc. Coupled with the usual overdose on internal monologues it felt very forced.
AdVitum01 chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
It occured to me that even if Harry doesn't believe in souls there are obviously ways to record an imprint of your personality, like portraits or ghosts. An imprint of Voldemorts personality empowered and given a body through some sort of ritual is at least as scary Voldemort actually alive again.
wisecurledqueen chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Lovely update. Hermione was like any 12 year old girl in this kind of situation- jealous, but not willing to admit it. Loving how Harry needs restrictions because his army is too awesome. Hilarious. Thank you so much!

-curledruler
skyace chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
An amazing, powerful, weighty, deep, perfect chapter. It is definitely one of my favorites, probably because it dealt with Hermione's POV... anyway, I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
Gamebird chapter 68 . 1/24/2011

But what one's friends think is very important! They may have a significant effect on you and how you are perceived by still others, further from one's sphere of influence.

xxx

On the matter of "what's right", I have long found that to be a cop-out, on par with "what's honorable." It means nothing other than whatever the speaker wants it to mean. There is no objective test put to separate right from wrong, other than what appeals to a certain person at a certain time. Utilitarianism is more honest, at least.
Selquist chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
One of my favorite chapters.

I was thinking about my last review and how I was saying 'harry is too powerful, yada yada'. When a story is presented so that in reading time it takes place over months, it is really easy to confuse that time with chapter-time. So Harry has been very powerful for say... 15 chapters (going through the prison was iffy-not sure if that was appropriate or too much, then he gets the phoenix) but for me that has felt much longer than if I had just read it straight through. So my criticism may not have allowed time for you to have a story to tell that involves Harry becoming *heroic* and for it to be acceptable to me. Well, now that I've realized this, I'll have more patience.

My thoughts on Harry being to powerful-I'm not sure if they stand or not. This chapter provided a lot of framework for what the last 2 chapters meant. I realized what it meant and thought all of those thoughts at the first large paragraph.

I'm very excited for what this chapter means for Hermione. It had me Wild Mass Guessing bajillions of possibilities for her.

What do you have in store for her? Super-villian? Harry goes to the dark side and she becomes the new hero? Hermione figures out how to make Quirrel decide he will be a fluffy bunny-man of love? Hemione overtakes Harry, and defeats Voldemort? Goes off to Thailand, because other parts of the world have dark wizards too? What if she FAILS and doesn't overtake Harry or Draco? Will she adopt Harry's methods? Surely she will show/teach us readers something new. Hermione's methods of ethics?

anyways...good work.
anonymous chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
spidey-phd, he knows what army ender led, i think. after all, harry tried to get dragon army when the armies were just starting
mentalkid chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Wow, Harry stepped up his game. But its time for Hermione to step up hers! After all, Harry can't grow without something forcing him too.
anon chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
You also portray him as being rather stupid (not seeing that Hermione isn't thinking in stories). Hermione is asking if she can have her own story, but for some reason Dumbledore can't see that.
anon chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Leaving another review to let you know that this story is liked and read.

Still trying to convince others to read it... "fanfiction" carries such stigma. :(

You're portraying Dumbledore as a bit of a bastard here...
baconbreath chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love this story! Thank you for the update.
AwsmAdm chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love this story, and it keeps getting better and better. I'm definitely seeing the Ender's game inspiration but it's working out well, and it will be nice to see Harry do his best with even more of a handicap. I can't wait to see the school's general reaction to the changes in the armies (if Neville leaves Harry's side though I might cry). Poor Hermione, Dumbledore was really kind of harsh. I wonder what Draco will do next.
Spidey-phd chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
You have it all backwards. Ender led Dragon army not Chaos army.

Well done!
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
›› She left the Defense Professor's office with a larger army, and less dignity, and feeling a lot like a sad little bug that had just been squished, and trying very very hard not to cry.

:D ¡LOL! :D

Thanks for the update.
CeilingFan chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love seeing Harry through others' eyes! I think my favorite part of this chapter is when Harry's wide-eyed defense that he's been giving a good 80-90% of himself in every battle makes Hermione want to stab him in the face and then go cry. (I'm assuming sincerity on Harry's part, even with his monstrous ego and impressive cunning, because Harry is very sincere generally.)

Dumbledore's awful "Harry's the hero, you're a sidekick" bit matches his very serious criticism of That Other Fictional Mentor Wizard for lunacy, or at least such a strong dedication to a very operatic worldview that he might as well be assumed crazy. I feel terrible for Hermione, but mostly I hope she learns not to place the health of her ego in another person's care. The whole scene Dumbledore/Hermione/McGonagall scene made me angry and embarrassed on everyone's behalf - and made me wonder if Dumbledore wasn't intentionally chasing Hermione away. Bleh.
NothingPretentious chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Another moving chapter.

I'm growing to hate your Dumbledore, by the way, assuming he is what he seems. People who think in stories are infuriating. I hope he's actually playing some higher level game.
demonicnargles chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Cliffhangers like that are bad, and you should FEEL bad. (That was a joke. Mostly.)

Everyone is quite, quite unfair to Hermione. But she isn't sure what to do, since she looks up to authority so much. She fishes around for second opinions, but none of them are what she's looking for.

Harry is being treated unequally, which he perceives as being treated unfairly. And now Hermione thinks less of him, because of things Quirrell said.

I still haven't decided if your Quirrell is possessed or not. He is certainly not canon, but beyond that I cannot tell.

Random comments and speculation are over now. Looking forward to next time.

-demonicnargles
Fresh C chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Well this is interesting. In general I don't leave reviews to really popular stories mostly because I figure no one will ever read them. But since you've specifically asked for reviews as a form of 'payment' then I figure I can spare one for you, even if it does get lost in the crowd.

I enjoy this story. The characters are complex and consistent. The many subplots are each exciting in their own right and often end in ways I wouldn't have predicted. Also, it's funny at times, and that's always a plus.

This story did effectively ruin Christianity for me though, which sorta sucks, as I enjoyed practicing Christianity. It's not that I don't believe Christianity is possible any more, it's just that because of the ideas I encountered in this story I realize that I have absolutely no way of knowing whether it's true or not and therefore cannot believe in it the way I once did. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing actually. So I feel that I can somewhat identify with the Draco you presented in this story.

In any case, I'll keep on reading this because it's good fiction and I always admire that. Also the message is not a bad one. Being rational is a good way to live if you can accomplish it. The trick is figuring out where and how to gain the knowledge that forms the foundations for what you ultimately decide to believe in.

I can think of no good way to end this review. So I'll just say thanks for the good story. Looking forward to future chapters.

(I think I said "good" too much)
Dreamer In Silico chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I missed reviewing the last few chapters due to exams, but I particularly enjoyed the end of the Prison Experiment series where Harry sounds like he's going to flip accepted morals the bird (even moreso than usual). The original HP series showcased so many sentimental tropes and biases that come standard in much of culture, and it never ceases to delight me when you call them out as the nonsensical, often harmful things they are.

In this chapter, I felt terribly sorry for Hermione, and it really made me hate Dumbledore a bit more than I already did in this story. My internal jury is out on whether his advice was the correct advice, for the time being. I realize it would be a bit hypocritical to call him out for being a jerk considering how much I *love* it when Quirrell or Harry are ruthless jerks, but I suppose I reacted that way because I trust Q and H to be right about things a lot more than I trust D. (Also, I like honest assholes who know they're assholes, I suppose. Dumbledore is not an honest asshole.)

Great fun and very interesting read, as usual. )
Chasing chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Interesting, interesting...
Sun chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love Hermione and am hoping that things work out well for her. Can't wail till the next chapter.
NancyLebovitz chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
That was a doozy of a chapter.

Back when Harry said that the only reason dentistry would be remembered was because of Hermione, it was funny. Of course, her parents probably wouldn't have to live through the process.
The French Dark Lord chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Just Freakin' amazing!
name chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
My friend showed me a link on the front page of reddit the other day... it was an explanation of quantum physics. It was an interesting read and not your average reddit post. At the end of the fairly long post, the guy mentioned that he got most of his info from Eliezer Yudkowsky. It took me a while to remember how I knew that name...and then I realized it was the name of my favorite fanfic author! It was nice to randomly find some of your non-fanfic stuff _
Tuesday Next chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Poor Hermione-I can imagine how frustrating it would be, being used to being the smartest one in the room, and then finding yourself pushed aside in favor of someone else. It's true, though, that she will always be defined by Harry (as will everyone who knows him), but how could she escape that? By returning to the Muggle world? Even so, I hope she can find her own path and not let Harry overshadow her-she needs to carve out an area of interest or study that's all her own; that way, even if she remains close to Harry she'll have an important part of her life that isn't tied up with him.
temp chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
not sure if you meant it to be "university" on purpose in this sentence (as opposed to School)

"This is my decision as the Professor of Battle Magic at the Hogwarts University of Witchcraft and Wizardry and it is not subject to negotiation."

Other than that, great read. Can't wait till your next chapter. and it's really starting to remind me of Ender's game again :D
Pentecost chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Good chapter. It should be noted that a goodly number of my friends recognize the name Eliezer Yudkowsky as a relatively famous scientist, rather than a neat (Fan)fiction author.
Stygian Styx chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Great chapter!
uo-chou chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Good stuff! Keep up the excellent work, Less!
alchymie chapter 68 . 1/24/2011

Hermione's situation is just sad. It's just as true in canon, but in canon it's masked by Hermione having to be Harry's brains. She's an integral, indispensable part of Harry's team; he'd fail utterly without her. In your story, what has she to offer Harry? Not so much brains, but perhaps conscience.

As long as Harry values her good opinion, as long as he cedes her the right to question the morality of his choices, she remains a key to the story. It will be interesting to see if she successfully drives him away: he's already started to isolate himself.

Thank you for this remarkable, and thought-provoking story.
glueboy chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
This chapter has some serious fucking gravitas. Well done.
shouldabeenadog chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Immediate reaction to last line:

Oh no please don't kill hermione. She's only 12!

An excellent showcasing of Dumbledore and his zeitgeist, especially as it pertains to something that isn't directly Harry.
Novalis chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
You can't use the word "redound" that way. You want "abound".
topdog19 chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
i understand where mione is coming form to be swallowed by someone else shadow
Alex chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
This is the greatest thing ever written in the history of the universe. I hope it never ends, but can't wait for the conclusion.

I'm continually revising upward my probability estimate of Yudkowsky performing, like, actual for-real Miracles based on his endless display of awesome. You should buy his real book when it comes out, and send money to his organization.
Drix chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Wow, you nearly had me crying with this one. I hope Hermione gets to be a hero.
Obi1Nemogbr chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Amazing chapter. The companions of the heroes do get the easier roles. They don't have to be perfect either.
Violet Shadows chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
If Harry is the avatar of Choas and Change, does that mean Hermione is destined to be the avatar of the Emperor? :p
AOEUIDH chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Wonderful, another cliffhanger chapter ending! You sure know how to keep me coming back.
Play4ever chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Damn, Hermione is in a tough spot. but then again so are all of em.
Gogolu chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Nice.
NicNacs chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Gah!

I know you said *whenever*, but could that be "whenever I next sit at a computer", please? I was quite alright with a slight delay until I got to the last sentence of the chapter.

Cliffhangers, bah humbug. g
outlawpoet chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Very interesting. A good chapter on side characters, although it's a little sad that everybody is going to McGonagall for counsel, I always thought Flitwick would have been a doting and reassuring Head, clever and powerful (he was a dueling champion too, supposedly).

It's funny, every time I manage to put Dumbledore aside as deeply, deeply crazy, you manage to put in the metatextual note that he is, in fact, a character in a story just like he thinks, and has demonstrated that while his organizing principles strike me as bizarre, he's at least very effective, and his expectations are more accurate than almost anyone but Quirrel so far.

Please give us Draco talking to Snape next.
Raineh Daze chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Yay, gloom!

Finding such depression in stories is strangely amusing. Especially with such philosophical musings. Though blind idealism always pains me... heh.

Anyway... one review amongst many, one out of a hundred hundreds. Heh, wouldn't surprise me if you don't have the time to read them all. Maybe you should see how long it takes to read the lot from start to finish?
kitiem3000 chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
That's gotta hurt to hear.
Kitty chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love this side of Hermione. I enjoy reading fantasy stories because they only show a side of us that is the best we can be or maybe even better. They gloss over the parts of us that are jealous and not so perfect. However, I really like this chapter as a part of this story. I've never read a story that showed what the other characters thought when their best friend became more and more powerful and they couldn't catch up to that.